Posted by psgels on 21 August 2012 with categories: Hyouka

We’re back to episodic stories again for a while, though this episode was slightly different from these kinds of episodes that we saw in the first half of this series. Instead of some small incident happening with Oreki having to solve it, it turned into a bit of a character-study for one of the teachers that the characters had when they were in middle school.

On top of that, this was a really interesting episode for Oreki and Chitanda. The two got to spend a lot of time together, and on top of that they both showed different sides of them in this episode: Oreki for finally being a bit mildly curious on his own accord, and Chitanda for sacrificing a lot of her time to just be with him in this. The end of the episode, in which Oreki explained why he went to the library to check things up really brought out something good out of both of them.

On a side-note: this has piqued my interest after that really long school festival arc: it looks like next episode will be a standalone story as well. That means that the conclusion arc for this series will just be three episodes long (Hyouka only has 22 episodes). So yeah, it’ll be short and sweet for this series’ standards, but I wonder: is it just going to be another arc like the previous ones, or one that actually feels like a really good conclusion?
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. dsa says:

I think, there are more novels.

I expect a conclusion to this arc.

Maybe, it can get another season a la Haruhi

2. UltimateReaper says:

I really liked this episode. It felt different.

Solving these mysteries is becoming easier, you’re provided with all of the necessary clues, I really love the way Oreki thinks. I really want to be able to mimic this type of thinking in a realistic way.

With all that being said I was slow in solving this,
    I needed to know about him being cleaning up the mountains before it all came together, and it was pretty obvious by then, lightning, helicopters, mountains= someone got stranded, died, the that’s why the teacher reacted in such a way, though I was wrong on a few points.

The dialogue and interaction between Oreki and Chitanda was interesting to watch. It was a rather pleasing episode for me, one that put a little bit more development between the two. I find myself also worrying about the ending, will it be one of those? “Just another day! blah blah blah” One of those cut off endings or the actual end? To me seasons never mattered, I just want the story to conclude with a satisfying last bite.

3. AidanAK47 says:

Isn’t it a plot hole that Oreki had to look up this incident? I mean it was only three years ago and in that regard wouldn’t two people dying in the mountains close by be a pretty big deal? I highly doubt there wasn’t a housewife whispering “Oh those mountaineers died. Were they lead up by that teacher? You know what’s his name…”

Either way this is another one of those mysteries without consequence. Let me give you the realistic version of this episode.
    “Hey, that teacher liked helicopters.”
    “Oh yeah?”
    “Maybe we should find out the reason he liked helicopters.”
    “Fuck it, I don’t care.”
    And that’s pretty much the gist of every mystery in this series. Without Chitanda’s “Watashi kininarimasu!” no person would ever be bothered to solve them. And in the end solving these mysteries does absolutely nothing. Ultimately the giant problem with this series. They try there hardest to get you interested I admit but it’s difficult to get invested in such mundane and pointless mysteries.

• psgels psgels says:

Actually, I sometimes find myself in a mood to look up something that’s bugging me, and those things can be really random. It’s perhaps not as extreme as with Oreki going to the library for it, but it’s also a bit too much to just call it unrealistic because you don’t have those experiences.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

@Aidan: In my own opinion of the series it is the regular mysteries that are in the ability of a student to solve is what interests me, its because the mysteries are so different from say for example, a murder mystery plot or finding whose the spy. They are interesting to me for their mundane, ordinary nature.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

I think that really is the point to these mysteries. these really are high-school mysteries and they are treated and solved as such. i agree these 1-episode mysteries are sort of more pointless, but the longer arc mysteries usually led to a deeper issue that was hidden underneath triviality.

• AidanAK47 says:

In terms of the School festival arc that did influence characters. However the first arc influenced no one. Chitanda was a Moe blob and remained one. Learning about her uncle didn’t effect her at all. In the end learning about her uncle didn’t have any result other than satisfying curiosity. Therefore pointless.
        The second arc should have been over once the characters just asked why they couldn’t ask the writer for the ending. It was strange how it was just said that she was sick and nobody even questioned it. Even if the characters didn’t take the time to find out the ending the end result would just be one of the other members writing it. You could say this arc developed Oreki but did it really? Did his bundler make him more cautious and thorough in his deductions? Or cause him to lose confidence in later mystery solving? Nope. He just kinda went back to square one. Making this mystery pointless.
        The school festival arc gave us a look at Satoshi more interesting side beneath his highly stereotypical exterior. I also admit that the final irony of people who have great talent but disappoint expectations was interesting. Mayaka I question whether she developed at all. Mostly it seemed like side characters that got most of the development. In regards to that I hesitate to call it pointless but I do consider it mostly pointless.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Perhaps I need to start reading deeper than I do into things and more to the extent you do Aidan.
          Though i think showing Oreki being wrong whether or not we call it legitimate development or not did dispell initial worries I had that he may have been too perfect or a gary stu. It wasn’t much but it still showed us he wasn’t always perfect. Then again…does Oreki’s stereotype/personality make him flawed enough as a person to be exempt from Gary stu status anyway?

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I do also think that just by being more open and at least noticing Chitanda and becoming awkward around her, especially in the episode with the pool and the one with the hot spring scene. Those are huge clichees yes but it does show he has at come to have at least some level of attraction her/

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

Well, the first arc was mainly an introduction to the characters and their respective abilities and merits, so of course there would be no drastic changes. it’s establishment, not development. in the case of the second arc, i say that it was a continuation of fleshing out Oreki’s character. Oreki is a flawed detective, to the point of having made incorrect deductions several times throughout the series so far. what keeps him on track is the fact that the rest of the club asks the right questions, provides him with the right information, keeps him searching for answers. i think the relationship between them is what is explored rather than their individual selves in these arcs. the school festival arc is where their individual characters were developed and explored.

• UltimateReaper says:

As a man who loves mindless flashy series action just as much as just as I much as I love more intelligent script driven Hyouka I can say that never once was I bored with this show. Your plot hole theory is a bit… just because something bad happens doesn’t mean everybody is going to talk about it, aside from that I’m sure the teacher wouldn’t spill out his feelings to class out of nowhere.

• wicked says:

The selling point for me with this author and mundane mysteries(there is a more traditional mystery called Calculation) are often not the mysteries themselves, occasionally there are some, but ultimately it’s usually what solving the mysteries reveal about characters. The author also tend to leaves thing a bit bitter despite the solution of the mysteries to illustrate youth as not being as perfect and vibrant as people tend to remember. So on the one hand people may think it’s a weakness, but it’s also his selling point.

As for the plot hole. Maybe I was just a giant dick of a teenager, but I could not remember if I ever cared about the news or neighborhood rumors at all when I was a middle schooler. Unless it directly involve me, chances are I dont know it

4. Taara535 says:

I think Aidan has a point here. Also, this was one of the easiest episodes to predict. My friend and I predicted exactly what happened just from the first 3 minutes. Even if one likes mundane mysteries, it would be nice to make them more mysterious… Hopefully the show will be better about that in the next episode.

That said, nice character development here.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Oh theres no doubt about it, he does have a point his comment did alert me to that plot hole he mentioned. Yes, true this episode was simple but I didn’t really bother to take too much notice or issue with it because it brought oreki out further. The pool episode gave me the same feeling too, I felt this episode was more focused on Oreki’s development with the mystery being tacked on as a device.
      I do however feel that Chitanda is a plot device though wrapped up in a moe girl though.

5. Kaiser Eoghan says:

The school festival arc too, it put satoshi into the spotlight too and look at that early arc about Chitanda wanting Oreki to find out about her uncle. In alot of ways I think the mysteries in this series exist more as backdrops, tools for the character development.

6. Kaiser Eoghan says:

So in that regard I don’t feel the mysteries don’t achieve anything.

7. Arno says:

So that was it ? The deceased in the mountains were not friends of the teacher or anything ?

Meh… feels like a 1/4 of a story to me…

As far as character development was concerned, there wasn’t much either, or at least much less than in the previous arcs.

A cute date at the local library. Not even a coffee or ice-cream afterwards…

@Kaiser, Horriblesubs do direct downloads.
Animefans ftw is dead, animetake doesn't do direct downloads =< Have to find new direct download site now =<
Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100