Posted by psgels on 27 August 2012 with categories: Hyouka

Once again a really nice standalone episode for Hyouka, so close to the end. I have to say: I’m really enjoying these episodes more compared to the individual episodes of the first half of the series. It’s not just because we now know the characters and that this show is now able to use this in its storytelling (most notably the interplay between Oreki and Chitanda), but the mysteries themselves also have gotten more interesting. I relaly liked the idea of piecing a story together from a random strange announcement over the school intercom.

This was just two people sitting in a room, trying to piece together something that happened, and I like episodes like this, especially considering how much detail the writers managed to put into it and how everything just started with one simple sentence: Oreki picked apart every single detail of it in order to get to his conclusion. Satoshi and Ibara were completely absent, so this was just about Oreki and Chitanda.

Now, I wouldn’t actually mind if the show ended on random episodes like these, or even a short arc of three episodes. In fact, it’s great for the variety in this series to play with the set-up like this, especially after the long school festival arc. Having a series in which the arcs are all the same length does get a bit boring, but here they are able to switch things up, and especially this episode was significantly different from the others. That’s great! Yay for variety!
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Cytl says:

It was really refreshing and funny to see Chitanda and Oreki alone and how they are more comfortable around each other.

2. Scruffy says:

Chitanda and Oreki were definitely very cute together. I was thinking initially that as this show is really not a romance that we would not have any resolution of the Chitanda / Oreki situation, but it is as clear as day to everyone (including the other characters) how much Chitanda and Oreki crush on each other I’m now not so sure. I thought that last line from Chitanda jokingly asking him to investigate himself as to why he put the effort in for her (its for you dummy!) and his smile back was simply awesome.

3. AidanAK47 says:

• Scruffy says:

Personally I disagree as the whole point of the show IMHO is that the mysteries are ones that we can relate to. No one solves murders as teenagers. It just doesn’t happen.

• Armpit says:

And if mech’s existed, teenagers wouldn’t be the ones piloting them , yet that is the case in 99% of anime involving mech. No average looking generic teenager would have a harem of beautiful girls , yet that is the case in almost all harem anime. No females would be able to win swordfights, or any fight in general, against a male, yet it happens frequently in battle manga/anime where a female is the lead.

• Armpit says:

So i guess in summation i guess i agree with Aidan. Oreki would fit in much better in a role like Light or L had in Death Note. Or in a series like Spiral.

• Scruffy says:

This is exactly why it is refreshing to see a show more grounded in reality. It makes it easier to identify with the character and place yourself in the characters place. It is true there are a lot of shows that do not do that but Hyouka is not one of those and does what it does very well. I do not think it needs to change. You may disagree but there are plenty of escapist shows out there for you to watch.

• Armpit says:

Well i don’t completely agree with Aidan. I like Hyouka a lot, and completely understand what you are saying. Would i like to see Oreki in something where he could have more of an impact? Sure. But i don’t feel he is completely wasted on the show he is in. He makes a good show even better so i really can’t complain too much.

• AidanAK47 says:

Scruffy, realism sucks. I merely require something to be feasible.
            Let me say it this way. Imagine a man fist fighting a dragon. Now obviously in real life this is impossible as dragons don’t exist. However if by some small chance that a man encountered a dragon in real life that man could not even make it flinch by punching it and would get eaten in seconds. However in fiction it is possible for a man to fistfight a dragon and even win. Thus it is more interesting and undeniable awesome.

Besides if you are going to throw the realism card I should point out again that if you were in Oreki’s shoes you would have a hard time finding friends interested in the mystery of Chitanda’s uncle and why the teacher liked helicopters. Honestly realistic or not what’s the point if the end result is a story becomes less interesting as a result?

• Scruffy says:

@Aidan: Not everything has to be excapism and for me personally reality doesn’t suck. Like I say there’s heaps of good escapist shows out there (eg Eurkea AO) so if that’s your thing then go for it. However that doesn’t deny the fact that some of us want shows that are somewhat grounded in reality.

• AidanAK47 says:

I didn’t say reality sucks. I said realism sucks. Let people be able to fly and shoot laser beams out of their hands. That’s what fiction is for.
            Also you clearly stated that you liked this because it was escapism for you.(I quote “This is exactly why it is refreshing to see a show more grounded in reality. It makes it easier to identify with the character and place yourself in the characters place.”)

You want shows grounded in reality? Try some live action television. Breaking bad for example. Anime is great because it can push the boundaries of acceptability. A show like Dragonball z and Gurren Lagann would never work in a live action format. However they work in anime. That’s the magic of it.
            And come on. Eureka seven AO? You say to watch good escapist shows and recommend me the pile of mediocrity that calls itself Eureka seven AO?

That said I probably wouldn’t be bitching about this anime so much if it hadn’t been animated by KyoAni. If it was another animation company I may even agree with you. But it’s such a damn shame to look at this and think “You can do better KyoAni.” (COUGH, Sharin no kuni, COUGH!)

• Armpit says:

Breaking Bad. Walter White gets cooler by the season.

Poor Mike though.

• AidanAK47 says:

@Armpit, breaking bad gets better with each season. I only see up to season 3 but DAMN….it’s awesome.

• Kuroichi says:

Pretty much agree with Aidan on everything except AO sucking – aside from having a few too many threads, I reckon its pretty decent so far.

And yeah, Sharin is one of those games that could potentially be amazing if animated (especially considering the fairly linear way the story is structured).

• wicked says:

Weirdly enough, despite all evidence to the contrary, Oreki still insist that he does not have a natural talent at deductive reasoning. He’s not completely wrong, he’s wrong all the time, and the investigative legworks are often done by others. He’s in direct contrast the the main character of the author’s other series, the ordinary people series, where the lead was once a well regarded teen detective, but people turned on him because of his ability, so he decides to hide his talent and strive to be an ordinary citizen. Oreki seems to be preempting that by denying his talent in the first place.

And the focus has always been youth(seishun) for this author, Oreki behaves very much like a teenager with no real confidence despite his ability, and he has to be thrusted into a position to do something

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

I personally think he’s perfect for this series. Save murders and mass conspiracies for Conan. Although it’s likely Oreki is being partially modest, he’s right in that his theories also leave a lot up to luck. That’s why he reaches the wrong conclusion a lot more than your average detective. Even in this episode, without Chitanda’s assistance, Oreki would have never gotten as far as he did in his theory. Sure, detectives usually have sidekicks to help them out, but in Hyouka, Oreki literally (and not subjectively) accomplishes nothing on his own. He would die in a cat and mouse game, or at the very least, endanger everyone around him.

4. Kaiser Eoghan says:

Teenagers and shows about them solving murder mysteries can work, I wouldn’t be opposed to the creation of them but I like Hyouka because its a bit different than usual and by that I mean by having ordinary, rather than out of the ordinary mysteries.
    As for mecha in real life, in most cases I guess yes teenagers would not be piloting them, it could depend of the type of conflict though and conscription and views on that could vary from country to country.
    Don’t really I agree with the bit about women though in general not being able to defeat a man in real life though, I think thats more to do with the individual, but okay you have your opinion and I’ve mine.
    I think based on body type/height a woman could have a speed advantage in a sword fight though, if they were small they could use that to their advantage too.
    I think the issue can be resolved if you have a highschool boy with a harem of giant female mecha involved in sword fights but thats just me! lol

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Actually while I have nothing against and often enjoy things grounded in reality I actually like escapist and unreal themes more because that is generally more interesting. I guess in Hyouka’s case and mystery anime I’m seeing this differently though.

5. Armpit says:

Kaiser not to sound like a dick , but the part i stated about women was a fact. Yes if a trained female fighter was fighting an average guy, she sure as hell could beat him. That isn’t what happens in battle manga or swordfighting anime. They are fighting other males who are also trained in fighting. They would lose 100/100 fights.Thats just the way it is. It is the same with sports. You take the U.S. womens soccer team for instance.Best in the world easily. They would be destroyed by any of the top 50 male high school teams. You could assemble the 12 best womens basketball players in the world, and they would be destroyed by over 50 male AAU 15 and under teams.Or we could apply it to MMA (which i am a huge fan of). If a trained woman fighter could hang with a trained male fighter, then we would see men and women fighting in MMA and boxing. The reason it doesn’t happen? Because the woman would up with brain damage, broken limbs, or worse.

• Scruffy says:

Sorry … but unfortunately you do sound like a dick :(.

Whenever someone starts off a sentence like that (I don’t mean to be racist, but .. I don’t mean to be a bigot, but …), invariably people portray the stereotype they say they were not going to do.

• Armpit says:

So stating a fact makes me a dick eh? You a feminazi or what?

• Scruffy says:

My apologies for being rude :(

• Armpit says:

For the record, i understand completely where you are coming from. When people start their statements with the comments you mentioned you are correct in that is usually just a way to hide sexism racism or whatever else. In regard to me, i only stated not to be a dick because i consider Kaiser a good friend, and i didn’t want him to think i was attacking him or being rude. That is the ONLY reason i started that way in my sentence!

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Honestly armpit I said that bit to try and prevent some kind of arguement that might start as the result of it and to avoid a debate about sexism. I guess its a case of not wanting to believe that fact more..I know what you mean and all I kind of jumped the gun a bit there cause I get uncomfortable sometimes with the idea of this men outclassing women thing when it comes to sport/fighting and my first thought is the line “women are weaker than men” and I don’t like using that word about women.

• wicked says:

Random sports comment, best 12 women basketball players in the world would absolutely destroy any AAU under 15 teams hands down. Mainly because A. Women basketball player can actually shoot and run plays, and B Most AAU player cant play defense, and will indeed foul out against even the most unathletic crafty player

• Armpit says:

Are you kidding me? The top 15 and under AAU teams are comprised of an entire team, save one or two players, who can dunk. There is exactly 2 womens player who can dunk worldwide, and they can only do it a completely wide open fast break. Furthermore these top AAU teams are full of kids who are all already commited to top end Division 1 schools.It wouldn’t even be a close game..The AAU kids would win by 30+

• Armpit says:

In fact there was an under 15 AAU team from Florida sometime in the last 10 years that scrimmaged a mid major conference division 1 college mens teams, and won by double digits.

Lebron James was beating Division 1 college players in one on one games when he was at the ripe old age of 13.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I won’t claim to have sports knowledge but a boy that age trouncing adults in a basketball game, thats one impressive kid.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Armpit, I know you follow Kuroko but have your heard of slam dunk? Thats a basketball manga people seem to like.
            If you were willing to put up with an annoying lead and the idea of a load of mechs involved in the game. basquash could be another one but I only ever saw a bit of that one.

• Armpit says:

Yes but kids like Lebron and many others have ridiculous physical tools and size at a young age. And with a bunch of the top 15 and under AAU teams the coaches recruit kids from out of their districts, which is illegal, but still happens all the time. A regular 15 and under AAU team, in which there are literally thousands, would get creamed by a top womens team. I am talking about the best of the best. AAU teams that have all players 6 feet and taller. Mainly these superstar teams come from states like Florida Texas and Cali.

• Armpit says:

Yup love Slam Dunk. Nothing too flashy about it. Nothing too unrealistic about it. And yet it is simply awesome in my opinion.

• wicked says:

Lebron James is also once a lifetime player, with no comparison. You also did not say the best AAU team, but you did mention the best Woman Basketball players in the world. one team in the past 10 years can probably beat a mid-major team, but the collection of the best women in the world should at least be even with a mid-major team.Dunking isnt all there is in the game. If a game like that, ever happened, it’ll probably be a 3 point parade by the women

• Armpit says:

And those women would be blocked almost every single time they shot the ball.Whatever it is a pointless argument. I came to Florida numerous summers to visit my grandparents. I played AAU ball myself. I was on some good teams too. We killed a bunch of teams, yet whenever we went up against the super power recruited teams we absolutely got demolished.

And yes i stated the top teams clearly.I never said all, or even most AAU teams would beat the best women. That would be absolutely stupid. There are 1000’s upon 1000’s of AAU teams in the U.S. In any given year 30-50 of them are the cream of the crop. Teams that are full of kids already committed to division 1 schools at 15 years old. Sorry anybody who knows sports, i mean really knows sports, knows that the womens team would be destroyed. It doesn’t matter how much better the women can shoot, which isn’t better than the top AAU kids anyway. It doesn’t matter if they can run plays , which the AAU kids do also. The males have superior athleticism and speed. That is what basketball is all about in this day and age. The NBA isn’t about teamwork anymore. The era of guys like Magic and Bird and their ultimate team over themselves approach don’t fly anymore. It is also about 1 on 1 isolations. Chucking up 3’s. Using superior athleticism to blow by people.

Not to mention women use a smaller sized basketball. They would be totally f’d having to use a regulation size ball. And if they used a women’s regulation ball then they end up losing by even more.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think its in away though kind of unfortunate at the same time for these basketball kids, its alot of pressure on young shoulders.
            I know this isn’t a basketball series but seeing how we’re on about sports anime one of the few I liked was that one with the girls playing baseball that was done by JC staff.

• Armpit says:

Don’t feel bad for them Kaiser. These kids live like gods, and most of the time they can get away with anything they want.

There was a high school kid who just got sentenced to prison the other day. He was a star high school basketball player who had numerous offers from big division 1 schools.

His girlfriend broke up with him some time ago. He got mad and went to her apartment to try and reconcile. She didn’t want to so he dragged her out of the apartment and beat her up. Luckily the douchebag was caught on the apartments video cameras. So he got charges with kidnapping and a few other felonies. His coaches, family and even the ex who he beat, all requested to the prosecutors that he get probation instead of jail time. Being a star athlete of course he thought he was untouchable and wouldn’t do time. Justice was served this time. The judge wasn’t playing games and sentenced him to 3 years in prison. He immediately dropped to his knees and started crying in the courtroom. The officers in the court actually had to lift him off the ground. There is video of the courtroom scene somewhere online. I saw it on msn like a week ago.

In the end justice was served, but usually these POS athletes get away with anything they want.Hopefully he gets abused in prison so he can understand , at least partially, what he put his ex girlfriend through. Justice served!

• wicked says:

Nah, I mean height wise Candice Parker, Lauren Jackson, Brittney Griner can all hang with high school boys. though they dont match with strength

• wicked says:

I completely understand the argument that just a good high school team can easily beat a WNBA team, Athleticism wise you cant compete. I also feel like if you are talking THE BEST in the world, they should be more than competitive against under 15 players as they are. I think it’s a step up on the development ladder when they all truly reach 6-2 and over average height that they truly leaves the women in the dust. but I have underestimate the sheer number of AAU players in the nation, maybe there are 50 teams where they players all developed under 15

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

That boy will be out in a few months or so for good behaviour I’d imagine, the law never ends up being able to fully and properly punish young offenders. I’m assuming this kid is 15-16?
            I don’t get the girlfriends reaction though at all if I was in her situation I wouldn’t have asked for probation for him after what he did.
            Goddammit..guys like that who do those things to women..just argh I don’t have the words!

• Armpit says:

I played for a team in Brevard County Florida Wicked. I was 6 feet at 15, and i was only the 4th tallest person on the team. And we were just a decent team. We couldn’t hang with any elite teams. I am not even talking about the super power teams i mentioned earlier. We played one of them super powered teams from Miami and lost by 60+ with their backups playing half the game. We lost to a team who was like the 10th best in Georgia by 35 points.

Baseball was rough for me as well in the U.S., but at least i had somewhat expected what i was getting myself into there, since there are tons of great young baseball players in Japan. There are no really talented basketball players in Japan so it took some getting used to.

• Armpit says:

Nope Kaiser he is 18 and a senior in high school. I don’t think he will be getting out that early for what he did. He is still lucky as he could of been sentenced to something like 30 years for the charges he faced.

Here i found a youtube link to the court scene if you are able to view it.

• wicked says:

Though I concede, it’s a dumb argument. I’d love to see it sometimes, but it’ll never happen

• Armpit says:

If there were 12 Candace Parkers to fill out a team then man that team could probably hang with some smaller mens college teams.

That girl is a beast.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’ve watched that video just there and I don’t really buy his tears as genuine.
            Nor do I sympathize with him either.
            Heh I have to wonder, had there been a sports episode of hyouka, how the discussions would have gone lol

• wicked says:

Armpit you played Baseball in Japan or the US? It could be because I’m from Texas, but baseball was never as well regarded or thought to be competitive as football or Basketball, even though in term of pro salaries, you really cant beat a MLB contract in the US.

I totally understand how dejecting it could be to be beaten by a far superior team. Our school played Gerald Green once and he literally fouled out the the starting 5 with in 10 minutes of the game

• Armpit says:

Wicked that is awesome man. I know Gerald Green as my favorite NBA team drafted him. The guy was a ridiculous talent in high school.

I played baseball both in Japan and the U.S. I was just more prepared for baseball when coming to the U.S. because i got to play a lot of very good players in Japan. I dominated basketball while in Japan. So when i came home for summers it was like playing in some bizarro world. It was fun though. Had to stop playing basketball when i was 17 because i dislocated my knee in a hiking accident and it ended up shredding my acl mcl and pcl.

• wicked says:

Boston Celtics? too bad they didnt stick it out with him, but he was just too raw for the NBA, got by with athleticism.

Geez, your knee injury essential took you out of competitive anything. You pretty much tore all the connective tissue on that knee

• Armpit says:

I still played baseball after that.I still play basketball to this day in parks and the gym. You are right though i could never of played competitively after that. No way i could take any part in the grueling b-ball practices on a regular basis. Some day the knee is fine others it is rough. The weather plays a big part in that. I also had to give up playing futbol which i played a lot because it is constant running. Baseball i had no problems, and even played in college. I just didn’t have the talent to go any further.

And yea the Celtics are my favorites. I was born in Boston before i left the states so i have followed all Boston teams all my life.

• Avalon says:

I love how you act like it is a 100% sure thing. Nothing is. No matter what others say, your argument seems completely sexist to me. I’m not saying the things you have said are completely wrong, but you can’t act like it is 100% fact with no uncertainty.

6. Armpit says:

See i am not talking about things like Claymore and stuff like that. Women being stronger in those makes sense. I am talking more along the lines of things like Tenjou Tenge Ikki Tousen Kenichi etc.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I hate tenjou tenge though, I let freezing away with it though because its more intense. Claymore while its dragged on and dulled a bit lately was great for being a guys show with strong women in it that didn’t feel like objects.

• wicked says:

I actually like tenjo tenge the manga, because it’s utter nonsense in beautiful lay out, I liked the fact the person that fought the last fateful battle was a guy with no powers at all

7. Armpit says:

It isn’t really sexist though Kaiser. I mean women have many advantages over men. Males are actually way more defective in many ways. It is why the average woman lives longer than the average man. It isn’t because a man works more, has a more stressful life, or any other bs like that. We have defects in our chromosomes. Really being physical and athletic is one of the only things men have over women.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I agree..on proper consideration its not sexist. I was just worrying too much and thinking someone else would jump in and this would get derailed into some kind of debate about men and women and sexism.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

But heh, I’d well believe any regular person male or female could kick my ass lol. The mixed martial arts thing is something that caught my attention a bit through films. I think I’d see you being a boxing fan armpit, I think you’d love the manga Shamo.

8. Armpit says:

And if that happened, i would jump right back in, and fight for females everywhere. I wouldn’t let a stupid sexist argument start because of me, then just sit back and watch the chaos ensue :).

You know what is really sexist? Most mecha series where there are women and men fighting each other. The males almost always end up being the stronger ones who win the fights. Or they make the females a sacrificial lamb who sacrifices herself so a main character can have some sort of epiphany. If mechs really existed i see no reason why a woman wouldn’t be just as strong as a male piloting one.Heck i could even see women being better in general as pilots since they can keep anger and rage in check more than the average male can. Anger and rage can get you killed in the real world.

9. Armpit says:

I never even heard of Shamo maybe i should check it out.. Is it anything like Hajime no Ippo? That is one of my favs of all time.

10. Armpit says:

Oh man thanks Kaiser. After reading about Shamo on Wiki it sounds like something i will enjoy immensely. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

11. Kaiser Eoghan says:

Your very welcome armpit. I need to continue it myself.
    I think Oreki in Hyouka is a great character he’s not the average loser but at the same time he’s not simply just a Kyon clone, he’s a clever character that because of that intelligence holds his own.
    My favourite character though in the show beyond him was Irisu though even if her arc didn’t always hold my attention.
    I think these episodes, the standalone ones by putting Oreki and Chitanda in the limelight it fleshes them out a bit better.

12. UltimateReaper says:

My injured brain, was useless at solving this mystery. Currently suffering from some side effects and a headache. I don’t know if I could have figured it out, it’s a bit late to try this, but I may pause the next mystery before most clues are given in order to see how far I can go.

Aside from all that, I must say, ever since we hit the halfway point I’ve been enjoying Hyouka more and more. Not only for the high entrainment value, but for the characters that are starting to feel increasingly fleshed out. On top of all of this, I feel like there is a lot to be learned from. I get the feeling that the person who made this doesn’t like to be bored, thats not it either, they’ve but something special into the character of Oreki.

I’ve had a realization! I think someone said these were based off of light novels? This is a wild guess (a matter of luck huh?) But hopefully the wave of commenters isn’t over and someone will play with me. First off, I mentioned the creator of Hyouka, and that got me thinking. What type of person would they be? This is the mystery. Lets begin.

Second I mentioned Oreki and how I believe something special was put into him. When it comes to creating stories, this something special is usually A: Things you wish you had in you (qualities, ambitions, characteristics) B: Pieces of yourself (your warm side, your cold side, insane side etc. C: Just made up character to fulfill purpose. With Hyouka I believe the answer is this story is B. I know that lots of writers (including myself) tend to create characters that represent different aspects of ourselves, and that the A/C are usually mixed in but just keep that fact in mind.

Third, the other main characters. Mayaka likes manga. Satoshi is Satoshi. The two are used to display the theme of “Jealously/how it feels to see people who are much more talented than you.” I even recall comparing her Mangas to others saying how its way worst and such.

Where is all of this going? To be a pretty obvious and simple conclusion (which may be completely wrong).

The creator (whos name i just googled) Honobu Yonezawa is a person who liked manga in his younger or later years, Honobu (due to the fact that he thinks a lot) was probably inspired to make his own, however despite that, he couldn’t draw manga/had no talent for it. Which was probably discouraging. However, The answer to that disappointment was Hyouka, a novel written with words.

I never thought about it until now, but Honobu has a real talent for writing which is probably the most upstanding thing about Hyouka. Perhapes even Oreki not knowing about his own skill is the way in which Honobu may have languished over not being able to draw manga, but didn’t realize he could write so well. Thus, talent he didn’t know he had.

Got off track there, my whole point with this was that I think a lot can be learned from Hyouka. I know the creator probably gets the solution first than works backwards to make the details that replayed from the beginning in Hyouka, but the point is that using this kind of thinking in real life might make you one hell of a smarter person. I really love it, I want to implement this type of thinking, I want to integrate it into myself. The whole reason I watch anime/watch movies/read books is to add to myself, whether that be enjoyment or inspiration.

Sorry for the random self consumed rant… I really love Hyouka.
    I definitely feel that it has been getting better.

• Cytl says:

I think most if not almost every single LN author likes anime and manga in general, but then again: the whole YA media in Japan cover more or less the same topics and tropes.
      I can’t think of Hyouka as a backup plan of a frustrated mangaka; narrating trough a novel is very different from narrating through a graphic novel, and Hyouka’s author doesn’t seem like an improvised novel writer (I think). Many authors in manga are just writers teaming up with artists after all, so he had that choice if he had wanted to.

• UltimateReaper says:

Well yeah, its a matter of luck too, there are many different scenarios that could be possible, but I don’t think this necessarily discounts my theory. Not every person likes to team up with others so to speak. Novels and manga are inherently different, but the good story telling in manga requires the same kind of good story telling in a book. hey! A novel is a never a back up plan, in fact that’s not even what I meant. Its one thing to try to do something one way not be able to do it and then to try another and be successful. I get the feeling that the author would care what his fans think about it, or rather care about what he feels. With all this being said I’m going on on a limb here, but I really like this show, I suppose I could completely wrong, but I feel like I’m at least partially right.

There are just a lot of points in Hyouka that really strike me as a curious. This is unrelated but I really like Orekis example the beginning of this ep. The microphone example. Really shows us how we think so much inside the box we forgot that there is an outside.

• wicked says:

You’ll be surprised if you looked at early editions of Hyouka. In fact, Hyouka was first published with no illustrations at all, and was not marketed as a light novel, and the characters on the cover resembles nothing like manga characters.

He’s an avid mystery/detective fan, and so he always intended to write mysteries. In fact I think he quit school to write the Kotenbu series

• UltimateReaper says:

I find that quite interesting.
        not sure what your stance is on my theory but this could either support or discount it depending on how you look at it.

I hope I’m not being a moron here, but I feel like this could be the case and that he is the person I imagine him to be.

At any rate, I’ve got lots of respect for the guy and he is a great writer, I really like his mysteries and have never seen them as mundane, I imagine that he’s clever. Anyone who would risk quitting school to follow their dreams is fucking admirable in my eyes.

13. hackytothegate says:

>Let people be able to fly and shoot laser beams out of their hands. That’s what fiction is for.
    >You want shows grounded in reality? Try some live action television. Breaking bad for example.

Hahaha, these made my day.

Fiction is for anything you can do with it. You don’t like realism? Fine. But you’re obviously not the one who’ll decide what stories are for. Particularly when you clearly favor cheap escapism over true art.
    By the way, you DO like emotional realism, even if you don’t know it. And that’s what matters in a story. How close it is to real life or not is another thing altogether and, when it comes down to it, just a flavor. It’s the themes that matter.

Also, live action doesn’t equal realism in stories and Breaking Bad is not realistic. I mean… do I really have to say it? Do you think that Gus is a character that could exist in real life? He is kind of a cartoon and that’s actually the point.

• AidanAK47 says:

I am sorry, but did you have a point?

“Particularly when you clearly favor cheap escapism over true art.”

Yes, clearly I don’t like both and which I favour could depend on mood. Because I must like one or the other. Wow, you managed to map out my psyche with just a single sentence. Bravo!

“By the way, you DO like emotional realism, even if you don’t know it.”

I said that anime needs to be feasible didn’t I? I am well aware that a certain amount of realism is needed to prevent people from rejecting the story. I don’t need you to tell me that.

Naturally if someone was looking for more realism then isn’t the logical choice to move to the medium closest to it? And yes, I am well aware that breaking bad is not realistic. I just wanted to recommend a good show.

• rubix22 says:

In response to the ‘Naturally if someone was looking for more realism then isn’t the logical choice to move to the medium closest to it?’ comment.

Not so.

This is a bit off topic here, but I’d like to briefly talk about a video game. LA Noire is probably notable for using technology which implant actors’ faces onto characters in the game. It’s extremely realistic. However, in the opinions of other developers on whether to implement this tech into their own games, the reaction was mixed. One person ( I only vaguely remember who it was ) said that while the tech was good at showing human emotion, it was limited. Because the environment wasn’t controlled, it was hard to create specific types of emotions that the developers needed. If a developer wanted to have a character to show a specific expression, using a model would be easier as this was something you could manage.

Relating that to animation, animation is a controlled environment. In regards to the characters, it’s possible to put in all the details that the creators want without adding anything or losing anything in the process. Many people regard Kyoani to have great animation. But keep in mind, most of the subtle details were planned out. In other forms of media, it would be likely that other variables would slightly affect how things would work out. And it would likely be against the creator’s intention.

14. JaK says:

wtf 63 comments lol now 64

15. RABUJOI says:

We think one reason Oreki doesn’t want to acknowledge his amazing deductive abilities as a talent is that without proper motivation, he’d never be bothered to use them. Chitanda is the primary source of that motivation, as it is here. He’s always been stingy with his energy exertion, but with her, he finds himself going the extra mile every time.

16. UltimateReaper says:

Its a runaway discussion train!
    Breaking Bad is realistic, and believable!
    Screw you both.

Yeah seeing Chi and them together is oddly nice.

17. animefan34 says:

>Oreki is too good for this series. I thought it ever since the beginning of this anime. A man like Oreki deserves to be solving murders and mass conspiracies. Stick Oreki into the role of a detective in an anime with a cat and mouse act between a serial killer and that would be gold. But no, he’s instead wasted on this mundane triviality. It’s such a pity.
    ===================================
    Wow, those are exactly my thoughts. It’s a shame when such a good character is wasted in a series like this.

And I just don’t understand why people like Scruffy dismissed your opinion in the grounds that there are “plenty of escapist shows” you could be watching instead since that doesn’t make ANY sense. Or is Scruffy suggesting that interesting and serious cases don’t happen everyday? For example, any mystery novel grounded on reality like Sherlock Holmes is an “escapist” novel just because it’s interesting and an episode of Hyouka is “realistic” because its cases are uninteresting and trivial? Wow, that’s new to me. I never knew that interesting and serious cases can only happen in “escapist shows.” This world sure is ALWAYS boring, mundane and trivial, isn’t it?

• meow says:

Mmm. Don’t get me wrong. I like Oreki. He’s smart, perhaps even outstandingly so for his level, but he has his limits. They were especially tested during the “Why didn’t they ask Eba?” arc. He’s still inexperienced, handicapped by his lack of motivation and social skills and dependent on his friends to spoon-feed him clues, although to be fair, I think even master sleuths may need this. And a lot of the conclusions he comes up with are theoretically possible but not fully proven true. And personally, I find this setting very outstanding in how even in the so-called mundane everyday, there are interesting and even compelling mysteries and drama to be found that don’t require the usual shock factor in crime shows.

18. ABC102D says:

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an very long comment but after I
    clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say excellent blog!
    ABC102D.

I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up
I dont think "enjoyed" is the right word for this kind of show, but I do know im going to finish it.

Also, can the milk be chocolate?
@Lenlo: That's true, but I also feel like everyone here needs some milk. And I've been reading the Scum's Wish manga and can't decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime.
Scums Wish, 4 episodes in, has been the perfect little dose of depression I crave from each anime season.
I have to say, its a pretty fun break from super srs anime discussion sometimes
There's so much sass in this chatbox sometimes I can't even. :.D
Also please note that if data gathering results do not support your hypothesis that there will be no refunds
I will have you know my data gathering services are quite expensive and I don't operate until paid.
Aidan is providing the data for us.
You do know that for the scientific method, you make a hypothesis and then you run experiments to produce data to prove or disprove said hypothesis. It cant just sit in limbo and then you go "I was right". You have to provide data at some point. At this point, you have yet to provide any data to support what you say.
Sir Robin
You seem to have never heard of the scientific method then Aidan. You don't need proof before you formulate an hypothesis. Fortunately this most recent development of you being wrong supports it.
I am sure Sir Robin would be delighted to hear this but I think I was wrong in my assessment of SukaSuka(Shūmatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?) That insert song at the begining of the episode was masterful and a number of things have changed my mind about it. It may be more interesting than I first expected. First novel was still pretty boring though.
Should have another impressions post up today. As for what I am covering that's Little Witch Academia, Attack on Titan and Sekaisuru Kado.
At least we never have to fight tooth and nail to cover something as what we want to cover never clashes.
Which mean 2 PA Works, 2 original shows and 3 slice-of-life shows. Well done Mario for being predictable and consistently boring as ever

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)- 28[Southwestward]

It’s more than a little frustrating when you have a character present who has answers to very important questions, yet refuses to speak up for rather contrived reasons. Though we don’t quite know why the priest doesn’t speak up I can’t really think of anything that would possibly be preventing him from doing so. This […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 02[Novo]

This episode answers the question of just what was happening to the plane survivors during the period the government were trying to break into the cube. The answer seems to be that they were interacting with an alien lightform. This episode does feel like the series is still in its introduction stage and likely the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 02 [The Conjurer Tenmaya]

The Eccentric Family becomes increasingly eccentric this week, with all the business about bear running wild and a strong reference to hell (who would’ve thought that?). But first, I’m delighted with two new returns this week. The first “return” is the OP that were sorely missing last week, in which we have the opening song […]

Re:Creators – 02 […… that wasn’t funny]

Resuming from the convenience store shopping and onwards on to the sightseeing trip into Tokyo, Re:Creators does a massive info dump and theory, courtesy of the gluttonous caster-type Meteora Österreich. I wasn’t all too invested in how these heroes came into Souta’s world but information splitting off and colliding with each other between all the […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100