Posted by psgels on 27 August 2012 with categories: Sword Art Online

So, the main storyline has begun. But does that also mean that this show has gotten better? Well, slightly.

I had my problems with this episode, but what I liked about it was that it further developed the relationship between Kirito and Asuna. It’s actually good that they spend a bit of quality time together, and this was done better than with the other girls Kirito met so far, on top of just being good build-up.

However, the one who is responsible for translating the novel storyline into the anime storyline needs to pay more attention to detail. I feel like this episode left out some key parts in understanding the characters and a few things in this episode didn’t make any sense because some key parts have never been shown. They’re small bits of details, but take for example the point at which Kirito enters Asuna’s house and is impressed with how expensive this is.

Now, I’m actually very interested in the story behind this, because it doesn’t really make sense from the perspective of an MMORPG: Kirito solos bosses and is constantly improving himself. Any loot or money he takes is something he gets to keep for himself. And knowing MMORPGs and boss drops, he can probably get quite a bit of money by just selling all of the rare high-level stuff he finds that is inaccessible to the people of lower level. Asuna and her guild meanwhile may kill more monsters together, but I do doubt whether they kill more monsters per person than what Kirito does. So how do they make money? Escorts? Taking on paid jobs from lower level members?

I also have a few complaints about how Kirito’s relationship with Asuna was handled. The scene with that one night was just cheap. It already started off clichéd with that random boob-grab, but even then: he just randomly starts acting possessive, without giving us the chance to see why he does this, especially considering how this guy is probably amongst the oldest people in the game, they just blow it off as stress, but to me this just feels like another one of those “punk”-scenes. You know, the scene where the cute girl is attacked by punks and has to be saved by the lead character for a bit of drama? I feel that the creators are actually doing a pretty good job on the acting for Kirito and Asuna, but this guy was really badly portrayed.

On a side-note: I just realized something: next season, A-1 Pictures will be likely working on six different shows at the same time: Fairy Tail, SAO, Uchuu Kyoudai, Gyrozetter, Magi and From the new World. That’ll be interesting to see if they can handle it.
Rating: 4.5/8 (Good)

1. Jalapeno Bagel says:

on the difference between money from Kirito and Asuna, I’d assume it gets explained in the novel but I’d think that it’d probably be precisely because their positions are very different.

Being a solo-player certainly means that Kirito gets to keep all the loot for himself, but it’s probably also harder for him to tackle dungeons because he’s alone. because of that, he probably spends a lot more money on support items and equipment than Asuna. since Asuna is part of a guild (and one of the higher-ups), she probably receives support from a larger variety of members/contacts than kirito does. that and, probably like you said there’s also the possibility of side-jobs. it’s like trying to compare a high-level executive in an enormous, successful company with that of a talented freelancer.

• Freedert says:

Yup, I mostly play solo in mmorpg so I kinda understand, I spent a lot of my money on potions, since I don’t have cleric to support me or anyone to help me if I’m being after by many monsters. And also I could done less quest alone than anyone in group. Which means a lot since most of the money comes from quest.

• meow says:

Agreed. He winds up spending a lot on consumables that could have been saved if he was working in a team. I think he also has to spend more on overpowering his equipment to help make up for having to fight solo. Not only does he have to spend on enhancing his current equipment, he usually needs to get better equipment crafted like the way he got Dark Repulser. Ordinarily, it would cost a pretty penny. Asuna, always fighting as part of a team, has more leeway. Even her cooking skill is actually very unusual for a front line fighter because players have a limit to the number of skills they can have and usually they’d want to fill all the slots with skills that would help them in battle. In the novel, when Kirito first heard that Asuna had mastered her “Cooking” skill, his first thought was: “She’s an idiot.” ^^

2. Bunny says:

Psgels-didnt you just feel so cheated when they didnt even show you what the meal asuna made looked like.

3. Raggers says:

Since this was part of the actual plotline rather than just a side story this ep felt a lot more solid to me. Nothing standout brilliant, but it was a build-up episode so I’m hoping the rest of the series can actually become something good.

PS. I think the first month or so – seeing everyone try and survive – should’ve been the first 7 eps to introduce us to the world, and the side-stories included as specials in the BD releases.

4. Ben says:

A-1 pictures is only did the fairy tail movie, statelight does the series.

5. elbin says:

so they actually stated that kirito has enough money to obtain everything asuna has. its just a choice he mad to not buy it. if want to rewatch it its during the scene where kirito sits in the chair after going into her house. he asks how much everything was and he says that he has just about that much right now.

6. Cytl says:

This episode felt so much better now that the series isn’t going by the episodic format, even with Kuradel (Cradil?) and his initial creeper act (which I find kinda realistic given the SAO’s setting). The next episode can be really good with the right direction and production values.

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

I sure hope so. Part of me cringes when I find an episode ends. I just felt it deserved 25 episodes where they could have fleshed it well instead of these episodic tease-like morsels.

7. meow says:

Um…it looked kind of obvious to me. Asuna was clearly intimidated and it got to the point of her getting manhandled. The point of the slowdown was to show Kirito had a brief window of opportunity to save her from the bully or be cowed into submission and allow Asuna to be taken away from him.

I did find it kind of odd that Asuna would get intimidated in the first place though, after all we’ve seen of her so far. She’s no weak little girl and was the guy’s superior too. It’s not like the guy was the guild leader. Unfortunately, this scene got written in the novel waaaaay before most of the episodes featuring Asuna so far were developed. Yay, retcons.

And as for the boob grab, I didn’t really have a problem with the concept per se. It’s a pretty typical anime cliche that kind of helps indicate that Kirito and Asuna are likely to become a couple. I did find it really odd that his arm and hand was missing from the shots of his face. I think they should have been visible. It felt like an animation error. Maybe that was meant to be the other arm/hand.

I love the swordplay animation though. I hope there’s a lot more to come. And suddenly the rush of the past 6 episodes seems to have slowed down a lot. I was half expecting Gleameyes to get finished off this episode somehow, after what they did to Lizbeth’s arc. Hm…I get the feeling A-1 won’t be doing Fairy Dance next course after all.

and this was done better than with the other girls Kirito met so far

Agreed. I was a little disappointed in Lizbeth’s episode. I think they covered the bases (barely) and it was well performed but I would have liked that stew to have been cooked a little longer/better, if only so the audience could buy some of the depth of Liz’s emotions at the time. Kirito wasn’t quite as affectionate to her as he was in the novels and her sudden midair confession was a bit too rushed to swallow. On the other hand, maybe the creators wanted to establish that Kirito wasn’t interested in Lizbeth.

8. UltimateReaper says:

I’m late on everything lately. I did feel this episode was a bit more shallow, I literally rolled my eyes at the boob grab, and don’t get me wrong awkward situations don’t phase me but this was just contrived.

It think really issue with this adaption is as you mentioned, so much detail is cut out. If it had shown Asuna running away from that pompous player I probably wouldn’t have rolled my eyes, I didn’t even realize that coming out of the portal that way wasn’t just her tripping for no reason until the other guy came through.

All that being said I’m excited, the end left with story which finally looks interesting/actiony.

Is anyone else minorly appalled with how much time has passed in SAO?

9. makooo says:

I’ve heard that the writer of the novel actually has very little experience playing MMOs, only to a casual extent. Small inconsistencies like the money thing are bound to appear with such a flaw. I was already upset with the 2nd episode killing off the blue haired guy after getting one-shot by the boss (I’m more upset that he refused to drink the potion and died for no reason at all), and then the guild Kirito joins getting slaughtered in the trap room. Why were they grinding in a place where monsters can one hit KO them?

I find Asuna one of the most attractive anime girls ever, and I’ll happily watch more of this so long as people keep writing good doujins.

• Longhaul says:

Kuradeel(?) was overzealous to the point of stalking but his reasons were fairly obvious.

Asuna is high ranking in that guild and by her own admission responsible for many people, making her a person of very high status to the point of having a title of sorts being associated with her. As such being her bodyguard would be a very important and respected job that is clearly taken seriously.

Kirito is viewed by the playerbase as a shady individual being a beater, which would immediately put the bodyguard on alert. By wanting Kirito as her escort rather than her normal bodyguard Asuna basically gave him a huge slap in the face, effectively saying that he was inferior to someone of low status.

The duel would allow Kuradeel to both prove Kirito was not worthy of escorting Asuna as well as remind Asuna of her position. It just worked out that Kirito was indeed stronger.

• Longhaul says:

^^^ curious that was not supposed to be in reply to another post

As far as the money thing goes, solo players in MMO’s tend to not be able to farm nearly as fast as a proper guild, and by having to kill fewer monsters for xp they would have a smaller pool of money earned.

10. RABUJOI says:

We weren’t bothered by Kuradeel’s behavior. He’s tasked with protecting a beautiful, famous young lady with mad skills – an honor and a pleasure. We’d be pissed if she dumped us for someone we considered beneath her, so it makes sense that he would.

In all we’re pleased with how much this episode progressed Kirito and Asuna’s relationship. They’ve proven capable both in battle and in domestic situations, and share the ultimate goal of clearing the game and getting back to the real world.

We’ll also be pleased if Lisbeth the blacksmith isn’t utilized as a love rival similarly to Zessica Wong.

11. Anna says:

A-1 Pictures has been pretty consistent thus far but…that IS a lot of series. And I’m slightly disappointed with the pacing of SAO

12. ender650 says:

Over the past few years A-1 has managed to keep their quality pretty high while increasing the number of shows per season/ per year. Im fairly confident they will be able to maintain their standards even while doing all those shows at once. Keep in mind that last season they were also doing a theatrical film which typically have better animation/ are more work.

@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.
That's something I wondered about as well. It would have been a good opportunity to change her costume a bunch of times. I am not a fan of characters always wearing the same stuff, especially if there is no concrete reason for doing so.
And I assume that everytime Nina transforms, she loses her clothes, right? So why the hell does she still wear the same costume afterwards?? Someone picked up for her no matter where she goes?????
The kill-arc makes sense narratively, but makes no damn sense logically (all the badass characters were there for Christ sake). Kaisar... don't even know what to feel.
Okay, trying to sum up how I feel about Virgin Soul now: I liked both Nina and Amira, the screwed up Charioce's character (remember he was a devil-hating fasscist who kills demons at sights or pit them against each others gladiator-wise). The cost of Nina's boice got me, not so much for Charioce's eyesight. My fav girl Rita doesn't have enough development
@Kaiser: Newer CG looks pretty good and I once hated CG. But Kado showed how good it can be and anime are constantly improving. Houseki has a lot of issues but the facial expressions are more than I usually see in anime. Can't wait to see how Inuyashiki is.
Yeah same here. I actually think they used this guy well, most anime don't have the balls to make someone evil for real and even kill him if he was a somewhat good guy at first. It's why that one scene surprised me and the death too. I was sure it was just one of these silly development episodes at first.
Likely due to not having to deal with bad art and framing of the manga I felt houseki was comparatively easier to watch.
Ah yes, Assland. Hated him. But I loved his relationship with Dias. Nina was great though.
Also that sudden kill-arc kinda got me (you know who I mean) - there are a bunch of story related things I could complain about but I wish more anime had the quality of that series regarding action, pacing and characters. I really loved almots everybody there except of those we weren't supposed to love (expecially that damn blonde knight guy)
I have to admit that I liked Nina way more than Amira and I prefered the chemistry between most characters in s2 of Bahamut, especially Kaisar and Favaro.
Eh. Blindness is a small price to pay for what he did, though his eyes and Nina's voice made an interesting communication problem between the two of them.
I am sure Nina will give it. But I felt ok with how things turned out.
@Super. Let us see in December for the Altair review. And yes both shows proved rather ok, but also pedestrian.

@Lenlo. I thought it would happen but for some reason saw it as a cope-out. With Charioce. He did not get a happy ending. Politically it made sense , and the reforms made sense, but I mean his personal cost is not exactly small. Dont get me wrong. I think he deserved some more drubbing.
I thought Kaisars ending was appropriate to him. Not sure how I feel about Charioce getting a happy ending though
hmmm, Virgin Soul and Re:Creators sadly are the 2 shows that I watched in completion but have virtually nothing to say about them. They're good enough that I didn't drop it but never raised above something that I find myself emerge to
@Travlos: I won't turn down the generous offer that you might give Altair a full review if you still follow it. So make sure you manage to finish it ^^
indeed. But I felt the ending was not too bad. I am iffy about the Kaisar thing, but I felt the political ending, and the result for our two love-birds was fair.
Had lots of issues, but I still liked it
Finally finished Virgin Soul. Loved that ending
@Kaiser: yeah, the thing is... I'm kinda into the handheld action set piece in Bourne franchise
Granted Garo and Juni still do appeal alot to me both because they remind me of exploitative trash I love =P
Ah I see wooper is of the same patrician opinion on Garo =P
@kaiser: haha. I don't mind the fight choreography in Garo. The second episode of Juuni Taisen is still pretty good
*better edited than the fights in Garo
I feel the fights are better edited in juni taisen , largely because of her backstory Inounoshishi stands out for me most, although the rabbit guy currently has my attention predominantly due to having the best powers.
that is not the case in IBO. Zeta and ZZ are both during Tomino's "weird" phase. They are thus acquired tastes. IBO is free of Tomino.
@KT: a distinct lack of Brightslapping in Gundam unicorn =<
@KT: While I did complete Zeta, I did skim it, Kamille was not a likeble character.
@FakePsgels, Funny how you showed back up when Kevin returned. Anyway seeing as you are so obviously the real thing I am sure you will have no trouble getting around being banned.

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 13/14 [Matchmaking/Coupled]

The unstoppable Anime Catch-up Train continues with a Ballroom doubleheader. These two episodes weren’t aired on the same day like 4 and 5 from the previous cour, but they might as well have been, given the way they complimented one another. Chinatsu has stolen not only the spotlight, but every bulb in the damn house […]

Made in Abyss – 13[The Challengers]

Normally when I finish a series I take a moment to think back on it and try to imagine just how I would make it better. Maybe better pacing or removing a certain character or story arc that went nowhere or just improving the animation at certain points. But with Made in Abyss I tried […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100