Posted by psgels on 2 September 2012 with categories: Sword Art Online

This was actually really good. Thew best episode of Sword Art Online since the first, and the creators are starting to use the build-up provided by the earlier episodes. Due to showing these episodes first, at least we did get a good feeling of who the characters are, rather than jumping right in and this episode made really good use of that. I just have to ask one thing here:

Kirito, for god’s sake stick with Asuna. Become a couple. I really liked that part in this episode, however it will become rather pointless if he’s going to be flirting with another girl next episode. I mean, he can still interact with them and all, but I’d hate to see more and more girls falling in love with him. just focus on his relationship with Asuna. The problem with these earlier episodes was that they showed Kirito developing a relationship with a girl, then moving on to the next, and then to the next… and it just wasn’t written well enough to make all of them count. With more time given to Asuna however, they did a very good job of showing the relationship between them develop.

One thing I missed here was a look into the mindset of that one commander who just showed up from out of nowhere on a place he had no business being on. Him just charging into battle seemed very out of character based on the description that was given of him just a minute earlier. He would have been completely dead by now if he always acted like in this episode.

Oh, and Yuki Kajiura came with a background tune that sounds actually different from her previous works. It’s still choirs and strings like her trademarks, but the choirs were very different from the ones she used in the past few years, and just that touch gives these songs a very different atmosphere that to be honest, fits this show much better.
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Cytl says:

Good episode. The action was nice and the plot moved quite well (although I admit that commander was just fodder); even the changes made from the original source ended up looking good (or even better). Finally I’m starting to enjoy this show by itself.

2. elior1 says:

just to tell you there is going to be one final side story in episode 11 and 12 with a girl which will be big part of the main plot also she wont be like thos who was fall in love in kirito she will be diffrent and by diffrent i not mean tsundere or yanadree.she will be somthing else

3. AidanAK47 says:

There really is something I would like to say here but can’t because it’s a spoiler. But even if I do say it I feel the later novels negated it making you actually correct. Honestly it’s the thing that put me off the novels after the first one and has been annoying me ever since.
    Which brings me back to the point that they should have just animated the SAO stories and not try to squeeze in ALO as well.

That said this was a good episode. No complains here. And I finally got a Song from the SAO soundtrack that I want to download.

4. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I must be the only one here that didn’t think this episode was all that, an improvement yes, but I felt it took too long to get to the fight bit and I can’t help but feel that while Asuna was thankfully involved in the action in the end the episode just should she’s a vehicle to make Kirito, who gets the last attack in look cooler.
    It seemed like the boss fight itself was going to be a huge deal but Kirito pretty much easily trashed it in the end.

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

Well, I’m not sure we would have gotten a 2-parter for this boss, between the action and all those minutes cashing in on flashbacks. that would have been awesome.

PS: Thinking again, the portrayal of this episode’s boss was enjoyably threatening. Look at the way Kirito and Asuna fled in terror! I laughed so hard!!

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

actually, I also agree, although not for the same reasons. i thought the direction in this episode was a little lackluster. animation was ok, but it was poorly paced imo and didn’t have any real stand-outs even though this was a boss fight. i don’t know how closely it followed the novel, but it did feel like there were gaps in the episode that made it feel somewhat rushed, which i suppose is coming from the supposed inclusion of the ALO arc. yuki kaijura’s music here was different, but felt pretty underwhelming for a scene where everyone’s lives were at stake.

5. Carbine Gammaximon says:

Hell yes! My patience with this series has paid off! All that eye candy and cashing in on flashbacks for buildup. I saw it coming but I honestly never chose to mind since Blood C.

As for the commander, I gotta ask what were the soldiers thinking? How could they follow such a leader? Other than that, I think the adaptation per this episode was spot on.

I’m not sure how many episodes are left, but if the series is 12 episodes (ANN) I’m very worried how this would end, given where the story is in the anime and comparing with the manga.

• Scruffy says:

It’s 2 seasons but to be honest I’s a pity it’s not only 1 as the next arc has the lamest bad guy .. I mean like Accel World lame :( Pity really as It’s putting me off watching the show.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

If this episode was pulling out the best and theres another short story on the way and an arc with a poorly done villain I think by next season I’ll not have time for this show.

• Scruffy says:

I wouldn’t mind if they skipped novels 3 and 4 (the AOL story) but unfortunately I think they need them for some important developments. The later novels are much better IMHO so if it got a second season then that would be good.

6. UltimateReaper says:

By far one of the best episodes so far.
    Am I the only one who didn’t think the commander was out of character?
    Arrogant, fight fight type of guy, but yeah, weren’t they supposed to be becoming stronger and laying low?
    Actually the development in this episode felt a little rushed
    But I know that its been like what 2 years?
    In which case everything is moving along rather smoothly story wise
    Well I’m enjoying this, lets hope the momentum isn’t lost in the next arcs

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

True. But man did I enjoy it.

Nitpicking: If Kirito cared about what would happen to the Army after seeing the boss himself, why did he hand over the map data so easily in the first place? Even though he would done later on, maybe he thought their common sense would kick in when they saw it (The Boss) themselves. if only he knew….

• TheUltimateReaper says:

He probably just didn’t want any trouble.
        One thing I have noticed (nitpicking as well)is that the fight scenes aren’t as fluid as they should be. I get a sense that everyone is standing in one place, that being said the fight scenes themselves have some great production value.

7. Carbine Gammaximon says:

Am I the only one who was asking myself how could asuna hug kirito for so long and not say anything while kirito and Klein we talking? 2 minutes!

• nandab says:

I was actually thinking the same thing…
      Overall this episode had that same cliche, I mean, Asuna and Klein later did nothing else besides watching Kirito… I would actually like to see some action with real teamwork…

8. Bunny says:

It was good but seriously it was so cheezy when they showed you his health bar after the fight and it was on like 1%.

• Lex says:

Haven’t you ever defeated a boss on the verge of a wipe? If you play MMO that is. Fighting, fighting, fighting. The healer’s mana depletes, healing subsides, the monster enrage more and more, becoming stronger, stronger, dealing more and more damage. You see the boss HP bar showing 5%, 4%, 3%, 2%, 1%…. The tank goes down. The boss starts rampaging towards a group of DPS, slashing, scattering the flimsy rogues, archers and mages in the air. It’s a matter of seconds before the entire party is annihilated, and finally the boss dies.

So maybe it is a bit convenient, but there are basically two outcomes of any battle: victory and defeat. It is a massive difference between winning and losing. Of course you can win easily or be far outmatched, but overall. Now, could Kirito lose this battle? Sure, he would be dead.

The bosses aren’t that powerful, the reason that the players don’t take on the bosses with smaller groups are … well, permanent death. So they have a huge wall of tanks, with the DPS dealing quite a bit below the threat threshold, slowly and safely dwindling the bosses. Think about it, from a game designer perspective. They can’t create a boss that would require 5-6 wipes in order to learn the boss, obviously, there would be no front-line players left. Of course the bosses are harder and harder, more and more special attacks, but overall it is fairly balanced.

• Taara535 says:

wow I thought it was very well-done and very very tense. This is the first time Kirito was close to death in this series, and they did it wonderfully.

9. Silty says:

The anime did a poor job of explaining the combat system. The novel explained it really well by this point, so the following is not a spoiler.

If you were wondering why:
    1) All the Army players were losing despite attacking at the same time.
    2) Kirito was soloing the boss and nobody else was helping him, yet he somehow still won.
    3) People sometimes “switch” in the middle of combat.

The answer is that, it’s not like WoW where 25 melee characters can surround a boss and pound away at him at the same time – and yes, melee characters – note that SAO is practically all melee. Rather, SAO sword skills are designed in such a way that players will get in each others’ way if they try to attack at the same time.

So, what happens is that players sometimes help each other out by taking turns engaging the monster – this is what is referred to by the “switch” in the middle of combat. And since the game focuses more on individual skill than teamwork, it’s more feasible to solo a SAO boss than a WoW boss.

Still, I’m surprised how few of you had your suspension of disbelief shattered by the fact that Kirito managed to solo a boss in an MMO – I mean, those things aren’t usually meant to be soloable. For a moment, mine shattered too, but then I overanalyzed it and came to a conclusion SAO is much more solo-friendly than most MMOs, as far as game mechanics go.

Also, most players who are still alive probably operate within a high margin of safety, because of the whole dying thing. And since Kirito’s one of the strongest players, he certainly has a fairly decent margin against regular monsters, even on the highest level that’s been unlocked so far. So it’s more like Kirito soloing a boss several levels below him.

Heh, thanks for sticking with me so far. /endfanboyrant

• edlar says:

Soloing a boss is also possible in WoW. The one instance I know of was also done via a talent that was even more broken than Kirito’s dual blades.

• Lex says:

In some regards, yes. As long as you are able to avoid the most critical damage. Yet also remember there is no direct healing in the game. There are potions but they are healing-over-time and presumably break upon damage.

One of the reasons they switch is also in order to heal themselves. Kirito however has battle healing, which should make him last longer in battle. Though only by a few percentage each second, if I recall they said 600 every 10 seconds, out of 14 700 HP, meaning 0.4% HP / sec. Not much.

Also remember paralysis and the like, which is fairly solo-unfriendly. Unbalanced I would say, because honestly, a paralysis that last minutes is broken ;)

10. eternia says:

It’s amusing how that brigade of suicide guild is able to survive for two years, and reach floor 74.

• Silty says:

It’d make more sense if they explained more about the guild. I am guessing they will in a few episodes at the latest.

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

Now that you mentioned it, you’d think they would have made at least a reference or two to the army in any of the past 8 episodes before now. Quite frankly its inexcusable. Just foreshadow them passing and someone makes a side commentary before going on with the story. I feel they realized too late that there were a lot of things they needed to cram into one episode to move forward from buildup/side stories and in an ironic twist this episode in part suffered as a result.

• Adigard says:

We probably lost them in the time skips. And really, how important are they? A group that vanished from the front lines 50 some’odd floors ago only to re-appear now to lose to a boss?

Yeah, inexcusable or not they’re just not that important to our character’s right now. If they are a re-occurring group and are important later on the show can detail them later on.

Heck, we know almost nothing about Asuna’s guild, and they’re vastly more important to the storyline.

• wahsatchmo says:

In the novels, they explain that the Army traditionally hung out on lower floors after they lost a number of members fighting the boss on level 25. In fact, many of them reside on Level 1 as a sort of police force/communal government. It’s a guild with hundreds of members who usually fight in massive groups for protection. The “suicide” group was supposed to be their elite warriors, which was recently formed to return to the front lines. Obviously they weren’t as elite as they thought.

11. meow says:

I was pleased to see Lizbeth show up but kinda surprised too. This doesn’t happen in the novels. Also, she seems to refer to Kirito’s dual blades as “their” secret – which does happen in the novels but didn’t happen in the anime. Her earlier episode should have had an extended scene where she asks Kirito why he would be satisfied with Dark Repulser, as it’s abilities aren’t a great improvement over his current Elucidator and he was a one-sword wielder anyway. He wound up giving her a demonstration of Dual Blades, in exchange for her keeping it a secret. I guessed then that they wanted to save Dual Blades for dramatic effect this episode but it’s weird for Lizbeth to suddenly show up in the anime and talk about a secret they never had. I wonder if she’s back out of fan popularity. I wonder if any other previous surviving characters will make cameos too. Personally, I think it’s possible for Kirito to show Lizbeth his new ability off camera in her episode, maybe just showing some shadows on the wall and Lizbeth having an impressed reaction and leaving the audience guessing what just happened. It would raise the tension this episode too because the audience will finally get to see Kirito’s big secret. Just my two cents.

Another thing I’m a bit concerned about is how Heathcliff is going to be portrayed. I was expecting a bit more dignity out of him as he’s a pretty important and hard-to-read character that is still being developed 9 novels later.

12. RABUJOI says:

Sachi was constantly afraid of death, Silica was the little sister figure, Yoruko was the murder witness with a hidden agenda, and Liz is literally swept off her feet. Asuna is the one girl Kirito has always considered an equal – not someone to save or protect. They work together and have great chemistry and are comfortable in domestic situations. Out of all the choices, Asuna is definitely the right match for Kirito, and we too hope he’ll stick with her.

Our only qualm is why it’s such a big deal for Asuna to respectfully resign from the blood oath guild. Can’t she just tell the Commander “Sorry, but it’s not working out”? Or did she take an actual “blood oath” that she can’t back out of?

• meow says:

Unfortunately, she’s the 2nd in command of their guild, and being one of the clearing guilds, has a pretty important part in ending the death game and releasing everyone from their captivity. It’s a pretty heavy responsibility to shrug off on a whim. It’s not like she can’t but it’s sort of like the 2nd in command in charge of a major campaign suddenly deciding to drop everything and take a holiday halfway.

13. Anca says:

“If you win, you can have her.”

What the-

It’s because of crap like this that I strongly prefer Accel World.

14. Kaiser Eoghan says:

@Anca:It almost sounds like a line a character in a low-rent harem would say. Chauvinistic to say the least.

15. raingod says:

The Commander asked Kirito, who just killed a boss almost single-handedly, to a duel? Really? I have never read any of the light novels but that is stupid. Not brave-stupid but stupid-stupid. And where is Kirito’s auto-heal?

Question. Is there any lifesteal sword/ability in SAO?

• Cytl says:

I read the novels but now that you mention it I do wonder what happened to his auto-heal; my only guess is that maybe it only works during battle. Also I think it works like every x-amount of seconds or so the red bar may have been like that during this lapse of time.
      About Heathcliffe (the commander): believe me, he is not being stupid (in any level).

• ahhhh says:

yeah pretty much this, healthclife is smart as hell.

And accell wolrd over sao. . . I would agree untill they put that NTR’ing villain arc in -.-

• raingod says:

You can spoil it for me (but tag it for the others), Healthclife is stronger than Kirito? Then THAT would make me watch the next episode. A fight between two players is better than a player vs a computer character.

• Juno says:

Okay, then, but… big warning…

*MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS BELOW!!! PLEASE DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING!!!*

Heathcliffe is the boss of the final floor…

*END OF MAJOR ENDING SPOILER!!! DO NOT READ ABOVE THIS!!!*

• Anca says:

Juno: it’s a bit hard not to read the spoiler even if you warn for it in caps – especially because you wrote the warning in caps and not the spoiler itself, making it hugely eye-catching.

But it’s okay, I’ve already been spoiled.

16. elior1 says:

i think that yui story in episode 11 and 12 will be a bit hard to understend in the anime with all the computer and program stuff even in the novel it was hard to understend

17. elior1 says:

pepoles you better be prepred for episode 10 becouse kirito and asuna take their love to the next point

18. I think this anime is overated. For me, The only good episodes of SAO are the Episode 1 and Episode 2, the rest are trash… The graphics (Animation) and fighting scenes (especially the Boss fight) are good but the story/plot is bad. SAO’s potential as a Virtual World MMORPG anime are limitless, you can come up a better story than the original one (especially about MMORPG things)… I have high hopes / expects many things about this anime but…well nvm…It’s not a bad anime, just an average anime for me….

If you want to watch Sword Art Online episodes LiveStream, here’s the link:

Customize
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)
@afgm: Time Bokan receives 0 vote the last time I checked it. I'm more surprised that people love Haikyuu that much
Such a shame because I enjoy writing it a lot
2 more episodes on Thunderbolt Fantasy and I might break the sites' record (hall of shame really) for covering a show without any comment, haha.

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373