Posted by psgels on 2 September 2012 with categories: Sword Art Online

This was actually really good. Thew best episode of Sword Art Online since the first, and the creators are starting to use the build-up provided by the earlier episodes. Due to showing these episodes first, at least we did get a good feeling of who the characters are, rather than jumping right in and this episode made really good use of that. I just have to ask one thing here:

Kirito, for god’s sake stick with Asuna. Become a couple. I really liked that part in this episode, however it will become rather pointless if he’s going to be flirting with another girl next episode. I mean, he can still interact with them and all, but I’d hate to see more and more girls falling in love with him. just focus on his relationship with Asuna. The problem with these earlier episodes was that they showed Kirito developing a relationship with a girl, then moving on to the next, and then to the next… and it just wasn’t written well enough to make all of them count. With more time given to Asuna however, they did a very good job of showing the relationship between them develop.

One thing I missed here was a look into the mindset of that one commander who just showed up from out of nowhere on a place he had no business being on. Him just charging into battle seemed very out of character based on the description that was given of him just a minute earlier. He would have been completely dead by now if he always acted like in this episode.

Oh, and Yuki Kajiura came with a background tune that sounds actually different from her previous works. It’s still choirs and strings like her trademarks, but the choirs were very different from the ones she used in the past few years, and just that touch gives these songs a very different atmosphere that to be honest, fits this show much better.
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Cytl says:

Good episode. The action was nice and the plot moved quite well (although I admit that commander was just fodder); even the changes made from the original source ended up looking good (or even better). Finally I’m starting to enjoy this show by itself.

2. elior1 says:

just to tell you there is going to be one final side story in episode 11 and 12 with a girl which will be big part of the main plot also she wont be like thos who was fall in love in kirito she will be diffrent and by diffrent i not mean tsundere or yanadree.she will be somthing else

3. AidanAK47 says:

There really is something I would like to say here but can’t because it’s a spoiler. But even if I do say it I feel the later novels negated it making you actually correct. Honestly it’s the thing that put me off the novels after the first one and has been annoying me ever since.
    Which brings me back to the point that they should have just animated the SAO stories and not try to squeeze in ALO as well.

That said this was a good episode. No complains here. And I finally got a Song from the SAO soundtrack that I want to download.

4. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I must be the only one here that didn’t think this episode was all that, an improvement yes, but I felt it took too long to get to the fight bit and I can’t help but feel that while Asuna was thankfully involved in the action in the end the episode just should she’s a vehicle to make Kirito, who gets the last attack in look cooler.
    It seemed like the boss fight itself was going to be a huge deal but Kirito pretty much easily trashed it in the end.

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

Well, I’m not sure we would have gotten a 2-parter for this boss, between the action and all those minutes cashing in on flashbacks. that would have been awesome.

PS: Thinking again, the portrayal of this episode’s boss was enjoyably threatening. Look at the way Kirito and Asuna fled in terror! I laughed so hard!!

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

actually, I also agree, although not for the same reasons. i thought the direction in this episode was a little lackluster. animation was ok, but it was poorly paced imo and didn’t have any real stand-outs even though this was a boss fight. i don’t know how closely it followed the novel, but it did feel like there were gaps in the episode that made it feel somewhat rushed, which i suppose is coming from the supposed inclusion of the ALO arc. yuki kaijura’s music here was different, but felt pretty underwhelming for a scene where everyone’s lives were at stake.

5. Carbine Gammaximon says:

Hell yes! My patience with this series has paid off! All that eye candy and cashing in on flashbacks for buildup. I saw it coming but I honestly never chose to mind since Blood C.

As for the commander, I gotta ask what were the soldiers thinking? How could they follow such a leader? Other than that, I think the adaptation per this episode was spot on.

I’m not sure how many episodes are left, but if the series is 12 episodes (ANN) I’m very worried how this would end, given where the story is in the anime and comparing with the manga.

• Scruffy says:

It’s 2 seasons but to be honest I’s a pity it’s not only 1 as the next arc has the lamest bad guy .. I mean like Accel World lame :( Pity really as It’s putting me off watching the show.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

If this episode was pulling out the best and theres another short story on the way and an arc with a poorly done villain I think by next season I’ll not have time for this show.

• Scruffy says:

I wouldn’t mind if they skipped novels 3 and 4 (the AOL story) but unfortunately I think they need them for some important developments. The later novels are much better IMHO so if it got a second season then that would be good.

6. UltimateReaper says:

By far one of the best episodes so far.
    Am I the only one who didn’t think the commander was out of character?
    Arrogant, fight fight type of guy, but yeah, weren’t they supposed to be becoming stronger and laying low?
    Actually the development in this episode felt a little rushed
    But I know that its been like what 2 years?
    In which case everything is moving along rather smoothly story wise
    Well I’m enjoying this, lets hope the momentum isn’t lost in the next arcs

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

True. But man did I enjoy it.

Nitpicking: If Kirito cared about what would happen to the Army after seeing the boss himself, why did he hand over the map data so easily in the first place? Even though he would done later on, maybe he thought their common sense would kick in when they saw it (The Boss) themselves. if only he knew….

• TheUltimateReaper says:

He probably just didn’t want any trouble.
        One thing I have noticed (nitpicking as well)is that the fight scenes aren’t as fluid as they should be. I get a sense that everyone is standing in one place, that being said the fight scenes themselves have some great production value.

7. Carbine Gammaximon says:

Am I the only one who was asking myself how could asuna hug kirito for so long and not say anything while kirito and Klein we talking? 2 minutes!

• nandab says:

I was actually thinking the same thing…
      Overall this episode had that same cliche, I mean, Asuna and Klein later did nothing else besides watching Kirito… I would actually like to see some action with real teamwork…

8. Bunny says:

It was good but seriously it was so cheezy when they showed you his health bar after the fight and it was on like 1%.

• Lex says:

Haven’t you ever defeated a boss on the verge of a wipe? If you play MMO that is. Fighting, fighting, fighting. The healer’s mana depletes, healing subsides, the monster enrage more and more, becoming stronger, stronger, dealing more and more damage. You see the boss HP bar showing 5%, 4%, 3%, 2%, 1%…. The tank goes down. The boss starts rampaging towards a group of DPS, slashing, scattering the flimsy rogues, archers and mages in the air. It’s a matter of seconds before the entire party is annihilated, and finally the boss dies.

So maybe it is a bit convenient, but there are basically two outcomes of any battle: victory and defeat. It is a massive difference between winning and losing. Of course you can win easily or be far outmatched, but overall. Now, could Kirito lose this battle? Sure, he would be dead.

The bosses aren’t that powerful, the reason that the players don’t take on the bosses with smaller groups are … well, permanent death. So they have a huge wall of tanks, with the DPS dealing quite a bit below the threat threshold, slowly and safely dwindling the bosses. Think about it, from a game designer perspective. They can’t create a boss that would require 5-6 wipes in order to learn the boss, obviously, there would be no front-line players left. Of course the bosses are harder and harder, more and more special attacks, but overall it is fairly balanced.

• Taara535 says:

wow I thought it was very well-done and very very tense. This is the first time Kirito was close to death in this series, and they did it wonderfully.

9. Silty says:

The anime did a poor job of explaining the combat system. The novel explained it really well by this point, so the following is not a spoiler.

If you were wondering why:
    1) All the Army players were losing despite attacking at the same time.
    2) Kirito was soloing the boss and nobody else was helping him, yet he somehow still won.
    3) People sometimes “switch” in the middle of combat.

The answer is that, it’s not like WoW where 25 melee characters can surround a boss and pound away at him at the same time – and yes, melee characters – note that SAO is practically all melee. Rather, SAO sword skills are designed in such a way that players will get in each others’ way if they try to attack at the same time.

So, what happens is that players sometimes help each other out by taking turns engaging the monster – this is what is referred to by the “switch” in the middle of combat. And since the game focuses more on individual skill than teamwork, it’s more feasible to solo a SAO boss than a WoW boss.

Still, I’m surprised how few of you had your suspension of disbelief shattered by the fact that Kirito managed to solo a boss in an MMO – I mean, those things aren’t usually meant to be soloable. For a moment, mine shattered too, but then I overanalyzed it and came to a conclusion SAO is much more solo-friendly than most MMOs, as far as game mechanics go.

Also, most players who are still alive probably operate within a high margin of safety, because of the whole dying thing. And since Kirito’s one of the strongest players, he certainly has a fairly decent margin against regular monsters, even on the highest level that’s been unlocked so far. So it’s more like Kirito soloing a boss several levels below him.

Heh, thanks for sticking with me so far. /endfanboyrant

• edlar says:

Soloing a boss is also possible in WoW. The one instance I know of was also done via a talent that was even more broken than Kirito’s dual blades.

• Lex says:

In some regards, yes. As long as you are able to avoid the most critical damage. Yet also remember there is no direct healing in the game. There are potions but they are healing-over-time and presumably break upon damage.

One of the reasons they switch is also in order to heal themselves. Kirito however has battle healing, which should make him last longer in battle. Though only by a few percentage each second, if I recall they said 600 every 10 seconds, out of 14 700 HP, meaning 0.4% HP / sec. Not much.

Also remember paralysis and the like, which is fairly solo-unfriendly. Unbalanced I would say, because honestly, a paralysis that last minutes is broken ;)

10. eternia says:

It’s amusing how that brigade of suicide guild is able to survive for two years, and reach floor 74.

• Silty says:

It’d make more sense if they explained more about the guild. I am guessing they will in a few episodes at the latest.

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

Now that you mentioned it, you’d think they would have made at least a reference or two to the army in any of the past 8 episodes before now. Quite frankly its inexcusable. Just foreshadow them passing and someone makes a side commentary before going on with the story. I feel they realized too late that there were a lot of things they needed to cram into one episode to move forward from buildup/side stories and in an ironic twist this episode in part suffered as a result.

• Adigard says:

We probably lost them in the time skips. And really, how important are they? A group that vanished from the front lines 50 some’odd floors ago only to re-appear now to lose to a boss?

Yeah, inexcusable or not they’re just not that important to our character’s right now. If they are a re-occurring group and are important later on the show can detail them later on.

Heck, we know almost nothing about Asuna’s guild, and they’re vastly more important to the storyline.

• wahsatchmo says:

In the novels, they explain that the Army traditionally hung out on lower floors after they lost a number of members fighting the boss on level 25. In fact, many of them reside on Level 1 as a sort of police force/communal government. It’s a guild with hundreds of members who usually fight in massive groups for protection. The “suicide” group was supposed to be their elite warriors, which was recently formed to return to the front lines. Obviously they weren’t as elite as they thought.

11. meow says:

I was pleased to see Lizbeth show up but kinda surprised too. This doesn’t happen in the novels. Also, she seems to refer to Kirito’s dual blades as “their” secret – which does happen in the novels but didn’t happen in the anime. Her earlier episode should have had an extended scene where she asks Kirito why he would be satisfied with Dark Repulser, as it’s abilities aren’t a great improvement over his current Elucidator and he was a one-sword wielder anyway. He wound up giving her a demonstration of Dual Blades, in exchange for her keeping it a secret. I guessed then that they wanted to save Dual Blades for dramatic effect this episode but it’s weird for Lizbeth to suddenly show up in the anime and talk about a secret they never had. I wonder if she’s back out of fan popularity. I wonder if any other previous surviving characters will make cameos too. Personally, I think it’s possible for Kirito to show Lizbeth his new ability off camera in her episode, maybe just showing some shadows on the wall and Lizbeth having an impressed reaction and leaving the audience guessing what just happened. It would raise the tension this episode too because the audience will finally get to see Kirito’s big secret. Just my two cents.

Another thing I’m a bit concerned about is how Heathcliff is going to be portrayed. I was expecting a bit more dignity out of him as he’s a pretty important and hard-to-read character that is still being developed 9 novels later.

12. RABUJOI says:

Sachi was constantly afraid of death, Silica was the little sister figure, Yoruko was the murder witness with a hidden agenda, and Liz is literally swept off her feet. Asuna is the one girl Kirito has always considered an equal – not someone to save or protect. They work together and have great chemistry and are comfortable in domestic situations. Out of all the choices, Asuna is definitely the right match for Kirito, and we too hope he’ll stick with her.

Our only qualm is why it’s such a big deal for Asuna to respectfully resign from the blood oath guild. Can’t she just tell the Commander “Sorry, but it’s not working out”? Or did she take an actual “blood oath” that she can’t back out of?

• meow says:

Unfortunately, she’s the 2nd in command of their guild, and being one of the clearing guilds, has a pretty important part in ending the death game and releasing everyone from their captivity. It’s a pretty heavy responsibility to shrug off on a whim. It’s not like she can’t but it’s sort of like the 2nd in command in charge of a major campaign suddenly deciding to drop everything and take a holiday halfway.

13. Anca says:

“If you win, you can have her.”

What the-

It’s because of crap like this that I strongly prefer Accel World.

14. Kaiser Eoghan says:

@Anca:It almost sounds like a line a character in a low-rent harem would say. Chauvinistic to say the least.

15. raingod says:

The Commander asked Kirito, who just killed a boss almost single-handedly, to a duel? Really? I have never read any of the light novels but that is stupid. Not brave-stupid but stupid-stupid. And where is Kirito’s auto-heal?

Question. Is there any lifesteal sword/ability in SAO?

• Cytl says:

I read the novels but now that you mention it I do wonder what happened to his auto-heal; my only guess is that maybe it only works during battle. Also I think it works like every x-amount of seconds or so the red bar may have been like that during this lapse of time.
      About Heathcliffe (the commander): believe me, he is not being stupid (in any level).

• ahhhh says:

yeah pretty much this, healthclife is smart as hell.

And accell wolrd over sao. . . I would agree untill they put that NTR’ing villain arc in -.-

• raingod says:

You can spoil it for me (but tag it for the others), Healthclife is stronger than Kirito? Then THAT would make me watch the next episode. A fight between two players is better than a player vs a computer character.

• Juno says:

Okay, then, but… big warning…

*MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS BELOW!!! PLEASE DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING!!!*

Heathcliffe is the boss of the final floor…

*END OF MAJOR ENDING SPOILER!!! DO NOT READ ABOVE THIS!!!*

• Anca says:

Juno: it’s a bit hard not to read the spoiler even if you warn for it in caps – especially because you wrote the warning in caps and not the spoiler itself, making it hugely eye-catching.

But it’s okay, I’ve already been spoiled.

16. elior1 says:

i think that yui story in episode 11 and 12 will be a bit hard to understend in the anime with all the computer and program stuff even in the novel it was hard to understend

17. elior1 says:

pepoles you better be prepred for episode 10 becouse kirito and asuna take their love to the next point

18. I think this anime is overated. For me, The only good episodes of SAO are the Episode 1 and Episode 2, the rest are trash… The graphics (Animation) and fighting scenes (especially the Boss fight) are good but the story/plot is bad. SAO’s potential as a Virtual World MMORPG anime are limitless, you can come up a better story than the original one (especially about MMORPG things)… I have high hopes / expects many things about this anime but…well nvm…It’s not a bad anime, just an average anime for me….

If you want to watch Sword Art Online episodes LiveStream, here’s the link:

@Anon, with luck that new KonoSuba anime project is a third season. I didn't realize the Season 2 OVA just came out.
Kono Suba ftw
@Lenlo, there are some good moments even after the Shark jump but yeah, all downhill from here.
@Lenlo: it was a captivating jump, wasn't it?
I think I hit the shark jump in Kado.
reaLjustified
Koi to Uso....kind of as vanilla a romance story can get, and that premise doesn’t do anything for me after Sakura Sakura. Honestly the star-crossed love worked better with Nisekoi.
Well they were a good series of episodes, so guess it was a success
@Lenlo, Already has got one. Second season with 8 episodes is coming. Honestly makes me think that it's really the rest of season one and these four episodes were gauging the audience.
I believe it has been re-newed.
@Aidan, yeah. Its way better than I thought. The VA for some characters is just great, I actually liked Belmont alot. I really hope it gets a 2nd season, because Dracula was also great
@Mario, Well you do write for STAR CROSSED anime blog. Maybe that's a factor.
@Aidan: "What is a man" huh? It's fun to listen to actually :)
I can't believe it myself... but I get sucked into the story of Koi to Uso. Yesterday was reading the manga until 2am (and I hd to wake up at 6.30 for work). SINCE WHEN FORCED CONTRIVED STAR-CROSSED ROMANCE BECOME MY THING? I blame those big eyes.
I mean the best game in the series has dialogue like this:
@Masky, Castlevaina games are never played for their story. If anything the story is usually the weakest element. When I heard of this series before I thought it was ridiculous because the story of the games was too weak to make into a good story.
Better than any right to be? Like I know that video game adaptions usually suck, but surely that doesn't mean that being video game adaption itself is qualification for being bad? :p
I will see if I can do a write up on Castlevaina tommarrow but yeah for a video game adaption it's better than it has any right to be. I think the reason for that is Warren Ellis.
Castlevania actually has good action scenes too. Very pretty.
The Netflix Castlevania series, one episode in so far, is actually pretty good. It does justice to the old series, more than any other videogame adaptation ive seen.
And I know this is way off the mark but whenever I hear Baltimore I'm thinking of Beach House band
@Lenlo: I feel you that the action scenes feel no weight.
Three degrees of Nazi. We always get there somehow
The story seems setting up to repeat to me as well, with the mutant/normie racial problems. Hopefully the Reflection event/mystery over takes that though.
@Kaiser: Vatican's mysteries have gotten to a ridiculous level. This week throws up sexual abuse, drug use, corruption and somehow Nazis are involved as well. It's just too much for me
They could have kept the comic book feel though by doing what Ping Pong did, with the panel layouts. I feel the low framerate did nothing but hurt it. Had the action scenes been done differently it could have worked, but it was a traditional fight scene so it didnt work.
Speaking of 18if, I still consider that show an experiment wreck, but a fascinating wreck it will
I don't really mind the low frame rate in the Reflection. I think the choice is deliberated to resemble the comic motion. I'm more worried about the story as they have some random fights that I feel even more dreamy than 18if
@Kaiser, I quite liked the Reflections art but the animation, or lack thereof, held it back.
Once again my anime taste falls in with Marios =P
Though you can only imagine if shinbo or Yuasa were to work on 18...if.
Although I do think 18..if is exactly what I need right now, I am not certain it will top flipflappers.
The premise for ballroom is of no interest to me.
I’m hearing Vatican is quite silly in a campy horror way
which appeals to me.
While visually the show seemed to improve with episode 3, I wasn’t all that emotionally invested with that story.
I would take this protagonist over IdiotMCx100 any day.
18..if is the most interesting thing I’ve looked into so far, largely due to it being the most un-conventional/abnormal, the concept interests me and poor as the animation is , the worlds it shows/creates, the imagination of the show gets close to forgiving that, as it was the most macabre, episode 2 has been my favourite so far.
I’ve begun (at last)checking out some of the series airing this season.
The reflections style is complete push away/turn off for me. I feel made in abyss could grow into something and I’d like it to actually properly get going/start, the buildup is slightly dull.
@Vonter Graces is nothing compared to the pandering mess that Symphonia 2 was. Just embarrassing.
"There's a white house waiting for us in Casablanca" haha, can't help but laugh at its wordplay
Im planning on mentioning it, but yeah. Alot of the combat didnt really have an 'impact' to them. There are other shows, like Ping Pong, that I think do this sort of style better, if alittle differently.
I think the main issue was the animation being kind of simple, the scenes didnt have 'motion'
@Anon, yeah The Reflection moved at the pace of a glacier. The art style was unique and should have lead to good looking fights, but instead it moved at the pace of a glacier. Ill have a write up on it later today
very nice episode of Virgin Soul. Really liked seeing Favoro look like Favoro again.
Tales of Graces sadly might have the most childish, and pandering story of the series.
AidanAK47 - Tales of Graces worked around having to both attack and defend to continue attacking. If just attacked you made less and weaker attacks. It was a way of cooldown that was more reliant on the player thinking about the attacks it used. Later games followed a more typical cooldown and combined special attacks with the regular ones.
Reflection was kinda painful to watch, I didn't expect anything in the first place and was disappointed nonetheless.
I cant snowboard or ski at all so its ok.
I did hit my head on the ground (for the first time) but I was lucky that I was wearing helmet. I curse S turn
@lenlo: it's fun but it's a lot of pain as well.
Sounds like fun
I'm literally covered in snow right now with my butt numbed. Will get back home in few hours to catch up on 18if
Havnt had the chance to watch it yet, but Reflection apparently looks like a comic book but has weird fight scenes? Ill get that write up tomorrow once I watch it tonight.
*hear
Jesus Christ what happened to my spelling
That's one of the things that mainly turned me off. The battle system is essentially button mashing.
The regular complaint I here from Tales of naysayers is a dislike of the battle mechanics/system.
I avoided the anime adaptations of the tales games mostly because I assumed they presumed previous knowledge of the games. I actually only saw Phantasia due to having been familiar with the games story when I was younger.
HelghastKillzone
No Re:Creators this week. I get a week off which is good since I'm stuck on an army base.
@K-Off, A lot of people say Vesperia is their favorite as well. I only have played Abyss so far and was really not impressed with it.
@Kaiser Damn, Detective Conan has a long way to go then.
Phantasia was my first Tales game (and its anime is the best amongst anything after) but Symphonia really did take it to another level. In general I think most fans will agree with Symphonia, Abyss, and Xillia in their favorites.
I believe Kochikame is the longest running manga of all time 1,960 chapters, 200 volumes, actually does have a record.
@Aidan I remember you saying how it's funny that no two fans of Tales will have the same favorite title. But that's definitely because Tales has changed very little over the years, and they've always been solid games, and so for most fans they'll remember the first title they played.
@Vonter With you there. The art direction in Tales hasn't been really that exciting since Xillia, and as a long time fan of the series I finally got sick of the gameplay after Vesperia.
Jeez, detective Conan is reaching its 1000th chapter. Pretty sure it's a milestone for some Guinness record.
*Embarassing
**Here
I also agree about complaints made about the mumbled dialogue when it does occur.
I think thin red line is a good thing to bring up hear as throughout much of Dunkirk I was thinking about how much more Mallick's film did for me, how I should have been re-watching that instead.
Yet at the same time I couldn't connect with it, it became repetitive, disjointed and the shots/Zimmer score towards the end were embaeassing.
There were definitely aspects to praise, to be fair there is no shortage of action, it eschews exposition and tries to visually immerse the viewer to make them feel as if they are present.
Im ready. Reflection comes on tomorrow, so heres hopin its worth it
it was trash. just british propaganda
I finished Tales of Berseria. And I'm conflicted. I really liked the story and the characters, essentially a Tales of were the story is told form the perspective of the villains. I also saw the episodes Ufotable made of the beginning of the game, and I want moar. It's was a waste as game, considering the archaic and dull game design. It mainly came up to buying time in regards to things to play.
I also watched it. I thought it was a great war film. Very intense and unrelenting, but still at points the images reminded me of Thin Red Line. My only quip was the end. The film did a great job in getting me to feel the hopelessness the soldiers felt. So great that the attempt at making a "happy" end was forced and fell flat. Beyond that I liked it.
I already lost interest when I saw Inception which I didn't really like. My favorite Nolan movie will always be Memento.
Eh, saw Dunkirk, I think at this point I'm done with giving Nolan any more chances, this like his other works, I can appreciate them to some extent but come away honestly not giving a damn.
and this week's Sakura Quest is damn great as well... This backstory of Chitose and Kadota rocks
Just watching the 2nd episode of Gamers, It was actually pretty good. I can't believe they fleshing out that annoying hot guy into such a relatable guy.
I recall the extent of my interest in Linkin park in my early teens was strictly the breaking the habit video and that was it.
The frontman of Linkin Park commited suicide by hanging himself... sad news. Never been his fan but I feel sad nonetheless
Actually forgot with all the impressions and whatnot but I do believe we said we would review the Castlevania Netflix series. Now that everything has calmed down I will see if I can do a write up next week.
I was busy trying to discern whether the story had any point besides "Life is shit"
Again, while I enjoyed punpun, the excessive internal narration, when marathoned, I had to take a break.
Come to think of it, I don't even have a phone that does that, haven't bought a new one since 2004.
Ah, you see I could never force myself to browse/type/use the internet on a phone, too used to using a desktop exclusively for that.
Oh bloody hell. Stupid phone autocorrect. Yeah I meant Punpun.
@Aidan: Read Freesia.
umi no onnanoko is probably the exact thing ninjarealist would be interested in.
*oyasumi punpun
I found it alot more accessible than nijigahara holograph. deded-demon-destruction while enjoyable, is beneath him. Solanin is probably his easiest work.
I assume you man oyasui punpun. Its been about five years since I read in, the final couple of volumes stay in my mind the most, all the stuff with him, the girl and his uncle also, I love Asano Inios art and the surreal elements but I got lost/bored somewhere in the middle and most of the other side characters and the cult thing I didn't really care about.
Finished reading Goodnight Pumping. Really not sure on what to think of it. The story kept me reading but it just felt really empty.
There are 2 Nyaa's now. This one is considered the 'real' one: https://nyaa.si
Looks like anirena is down for me. Although it looks like nyaa went back up as this: https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/
Aidan: Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui
Mario: Princess Principal, 18if, Youkoso
Lenlo: Touken Ranbu, The Reflection
Wooper: Ballroom, Shoukoku no Altair
Helghast: Re:Creators
Note: I'm deciding to take Classroom of the Elite as my third show to cover. So, for this season we are covering 11 shows.
Just to end, it kind of shows than even if a story is predictable on where it is going. Characters can make up for that, if they're funny, interesting, and perhaps not agreeing all the time and having different agendas and points of view despite all sharing the same boat.
Yet as a game Tales hasn't felt deep since Symphonia, (at least from the ones I've played). I'm wondering if it'll leave me wanting check the anime of Zestiria, since apparently Berseria is a prequel to that game. And many say the anime is better than the game. (I can see why).
I also like the reused Tales beats from Phantasia and Berseria. It those have moments like when Lloyd was exiled and Cless had his village attacked. It has clear antagonists unlike Vesperia, and trying harder than the cartoony villains of Graces.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria, and it seems to be the anti Tales of Graces. In which I'm caring about the story and characters, but the gameplay is a drag. This is the first time I've been autoplaying an JRPG. But unlike Gravity Rush 2, I'm not dropping it because I'm liking the interactions of these characters even if it gets, campy, overdramatic, or edgy.
I mean I watch anime and films subtitled but sometimes my reading speed can be slow if theres a lot of dialogue.
Eh, I do that sometimes, mostly to check for message updates or on occasion to read reviews of what I am watching or to download more/check downloads.
For instance, I watched Okja yesterday and I had to take 15', 20' minute break in between for snack, surfing webs and playing mobile games...
I watched Fanny and Alexander... don't really remember which version I watched thou. I think it's a TV version since it divides into 4 separate parts
@Kaiser: it just that... my attention span has shortened greatly and I just can't stay focus on movies over an hour mark. In cinema, it's alright since you can't move anywhere but now it's abig task to finish a 2 hour and a half movie for me
And is good enough to keep up the quality for that long.
I'll say this, for every medium, to me the length of something isn't so much the issue, if you have a writer good enough to keep something going for ages then the length shouldn't be an issue.
@Mario: If something goes over three hours I treat it as a miniseries and watch one hour or two a day.
@Mario: lol if you thought thats long, have you seen the extended versions of scenes from a marriage and fanny & alexander by Bergman? I can't wait to get my hands on the tv versions I hear they're completely different.
Okja is pretty entertaining with pointed social commentary. I don't really feel Tilda Swinton's double roles add up much but everything else is great. Bong has never disappointed me
@Kaiser: good luck with Satantango then. I guess now if I watch an 8-hour long film it would take me a whole week to finish it :/
Made in abyss and vatican keep staring at me. Although I'm not chancing them yet or anything else until I hear a bit more.
My once massive film backlog is nearly cleared. I can try watching stuff this season hopefully.
Same boat here. For the first time in a long time I spent almost half the day catching up on all of my manga.
@Mario: I'll have two weeks leave, I will finally watch Satantango, all eight hours of that film.
I did a double take when I saw this. One of these things is not like the other.... http://gematsu.com/2017/07/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced
Well, finally have a bit of precious free time to watch something else and I have too much things to watch. Castlevania, the final Kizumonogatari movie, live-action Okja and some books planned to read... I guess I'll go with Okja today
Ninja
Looking forward to that Dies review
Yaaay! Time to enjoy your blogging time
And now we are up to date. Just need to finally get that Dies Irae Review posted.
Then again I'll watch almost every horror film I can, don't even mind the awful acting most have.
Pet cemetary was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a teenager.
I don't know how I'd feel if I rewatched salems lot, although a positive is that it did have James Mason in it and it was done in that 70s style of slow burn horror that I love.
The IT film has aged horribly and thats one case where I would advocate a remake.
Stand by me was a perftly watchable coming of age film and it surprised me, seeing a non-horror King story.
Okay theres one way to settle this =P Lovecraft > all of them ;) I have actually enjoyed some King adaptations even though I know the Shining took liberties , I also enjoyed Carrie and Apt Pupil.
@Kaiser, please. Early King > Richard Matheson > Modern King. Kings early works were good.
@Aidan, its true that Monty was the mind behind the fights. Sad, but I think the other directors are starting to come into their own instead of trying to copy Monty.
But we all know Richard Matheson > King.
He did some collabs with Stephen King I believe.
Like the dead films he's trying to be thematic, although this one is clumsily put together, I kind of like how it hybridizes the 50s with 70s style exploitation, it has its moments.
hmmm the only non Dead trilogy film I've seen by Romero is the Crazies, feels like he's still finding his voice with it.
@Lenlo, Part of the reason is that they started using better animation software. But despite that there was a downgrade in fight chorgraphy when Monty died. Though the story I find is getting better.
@Kinseryu, I think it's ridiculous to everyone but there are those that choose to ignore it.
@Anon, That's a bit harsh. It is true that his later works never truly panned out but he did pretty much popularise the zombie apoc. Even if Day of the Triffids did it before him.
Every season RWBY gets just a little bit prettier. Rooster Teeth really does have some of the better 3D animation skills out there.
goerge romero was a hack trying desperate to stay relevant.
Kinseryu
Tenshi3P... I thought it was just me that this show was just ridiculous by putting three ten years old girl that knows how to play electrical instruments. They are insulting the people who plays these. But good thing I found this site with your first impression. I laughed and I feel better. Lol.
@Kaiser: he passed away? damn. He was the Father of Zombie genre. So like him or hate him, he was influential to say the least. RIP.
Kaiser_Eoghan
...holy shit George A Romero died? Now I have to watch the rest of his films.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Rei Hiroe is really dicking around with black lagoon lately, he's still releasing wasted chapters, just like re:creators, the most recent chapter of black lagoon was a slog.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Maybe the conversation and lives of others could sort of count as espionage stories to an extent.
Kaiser_Eoghan
If you're interested in spy fiction, Spy who came in from the cold, most wanted man, Smiley's people, deadly affair and tinker tailor soldier spy are your best bet.
@Travlos (regarding yoir earlier comment): yeah, it hit me as well that most of regular readers have been here even longer than myself. So thanks for sticking around mates
@Travlos: playing catch up with both Re:Creators and Virgin Soul yesterday. Agreed that last week's Re:Creators was weak because it focused on the Creators (they're not good) but last episode was on par again. Virgin Soul, I loved that episode that the girls go bacl to Nina's hometown
@anon1272074: I still haven't had the time to watch Pripri yet (probably in few more hours), but you bet I'm looking forward to it
Anonymous1272074
Then again, James Bond does count as a spy. I meant not a realistic one.
Anonymous1272074
Princess Principal 2 was pretty good. Still more James Bond via little girls than spies, but this episode was more about intrigue and stuff than action.
Started catching up with Kakegurui. The OP is the sort of mind games I remember from Mob Psycho. Dunno what that means for the show, but I like it.
Quite happy with this week's RE:Creators. Blitz is cool, Aliceteria looked so scary. It washed out the taste of last week's episode.

Bahamut is going interesting places.
BTW. Speaking of spies from Princess Principal. I watch TURN. That is a good spy show.
I mean you see the use of those heavy revolvers as clubs in westerns. Mythbusters did a experiment, and being hit by one could kill you just fine. But in anime, I do not remember seeing it often
Homura used Gun-kata in the fight against Mami in Rebellion. Can't think of anyone who exclusively uses it though. After all Gun-Kata is more or less a flashy art that has no real benefit.
amazing!
Is Gun Kata the fighting style of Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue? I suppose I'm mainly thinking about how guns are handled in fighting games. Where the shots are mainly concussive. I suppose those are mainly energy blasts.
Ranbu took a step in the right direction I feel. Used the morals of whether or not to change history and it focused in on one of its characters.

Kakegurui- 04[The Woman Who Became Livestock]

I could make it point to go on about how ridiculous it is for a school to allow a student to carry a firearm or putting forward a life plan which I am fairly certain is a clear violation of human rights but honestly that dead horse has been beaten enough. In Kakegurui this is […]

Made in Abyss – 03[Departure]

This episode looks to be setting up the big adventure to guide us through the rest of the season but I really cannot comment enough on how much of a terrible idea it is. Riko is pure rookie when it comes to abyss diving and here she is deciding to take on the challenge of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 04[Price of life, Redemption of Death]

There are many things that can lead to one anime downfall but even with certain weaknesses in area a anime can shine through. Berserk 1997 showed that a strong story can make up for a powerpoint level of animation. Tatami Galaxy showed that even with lacking art a compelling story can be told.(I am sorry […]

Princess Principal – 03 [Case 2 Vice Voice]

We have another fun action-spy time this week. While this week isn’t as great as the week before, the decision to group the girls in different pairings make this one entertaining to watch. This means Ange is pairing up with Beatrice, and the Princess with Dorothy (just to make it more consistent I will address […]

18if – 03 [The Witch of First Love]

At this point, I wholly expect 18if to bring different approach, have different style on its same themes each passing week. This week, they indeed pulled a very different episode from its first two. It was a fascinating episode. I said “fascinating” because if I’m gonna mark this week as a standalone episode (or as […]

The Reflection -1 [Ceremony]

Its a bit late in the season, but The Reflection is just getting started. Sadly, it feels like more time in the oven was yet needed. Thought up by Stan Lee and directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, lets dive right in. Because of the substantial difference in quality between them, I am going to break this […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 4 [What I Wanted to Protect]

This is a good week for Ranbu, as it starts to hit its stride. A new mission begins, some quiet character moments occur and finally a whole new cast member is introduced! We open in a rather unexpected manner, our party fleeing from a group of police. I was expecting a relaxing, beach like episode, […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 03 [Dance the Waltz]

Well, there’s no going back now. Ballroom just went full sports anime, and it cut the brake lines for good measure. After the relative nuance of last week’s character introduction, the newest episode treated us to more fanservice, more contrivance, and more shounen formula than the last two combined. Sports series have really stepped up […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 03 [The Council of Generals]

With this episode, Altair’s first arc comes to a close. Mahmut Pasha, teenage prodigy and commander of eagles, is now simply Tughril Mahmut, a disgraced former general set to leave Turkiye on a journey of discovery. Though its main character didn’t fare so well this week, I thought the show wrapped everything up nicely in […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100