Posted by psgels on 3 September 2012 with categories: Hyouka

You know what? There is one volume of the light novels left, right? And it’s one continuous story, right? With this episode something dawned to me: Kyoani could be toying with the idea of making a movie for this show, couldn’t they? I mean, I’m not sure how their policy with movies is after they made one for Haruhi, K-On and… Munto, but Hyouka would actually work perfectly in movie-format with its slow pacing. I mean, I’d love to see it, but they’re not going to do a climax of only two episodes.

As for this episode, the mystery in it was completely different from any other episode so far. Oreki didn’t have to solve something weird that was going on, but rather he had to find something to get the attention of a specific person. His final solution was quite creative. It was also a realistic look at symbolism: what kind of symbols would someone understand if one spotted this randomly, and which symbols would just be too obscure?

But this episode was really there to flesh out the cast some more. Oreki and Chitanda got to spend a lot of time together, and Satoshi finally was useful for something. The whole set-up of this episode was also great and down to earth, in the way that everyone had different agendas throughout the whole episode beyond just the main plot. Touches like this show once more that the rest of the cast also have lives and things to do.
Rating: 5/8 (Great)

1. wicked says:

definitely finishing all the stories they can in the anthology volume instead of going for the final volume. It’s well set up since the 5th volume is set after their freshmen years, so there’s a time skip for the movie or ova

• Cytl says:

Is vol5 really the final one? Some sites list the series as ongoing and others do it as finished so I have this doubt.

• wicked says:

he wrote another short story of Kotenbu to publish on a magazine recently, but Kotenbu series as a whole has not had any information or indications of new volume coming out, though it is not announced that it ended either. He’s got at least one more volume of the ordinary citizen series that he has to complete, and I’m still waiting on that. It’s been more commercially successful before the anime of hyouka

He’s been rather popular it seems, his other mystery book, Calculation, was adapted into a movie

• Cytl says:

Very complete info, gotta look for that movie. Also I saw that he wrote a two volume manga series (too bad it hasn’t been scanlated yet).

• wicked says:

Calculation is more traditional mystery, though i have little faith in Japanese movie adaptations remaining faithful to the source material.

The manga Spring’s strawberry tart limited case is an adaptation of the first volume of the ordinary citizen series of the same name, consist of little mundane mysteries like Hyouka, but I like the characters in that series better

2. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think a movie or ova followup is precisely what this show needs, were it to end on a random episode with no continuation I think that could sour it a bit.

3. UltimateReaper says:

What I love about Hyouka are it’s uniqueness and ability to always bring something new to the table. Great episode, loved it, don’t know about movies or any of that, but as long as I see the conclusion to the story from its original source I’ll be happy.

• AidanAK47 says:

Unique? The plot device of a boy and a girl getting accidently locked in a shed is one as old as anime itself. Same with new years shrine visit episodes are as well. The only different thing was Oreki had to figure a smart way out.

• UltimateReaper says:

It might have been a bit cliche and redundant since one of them could have just hid and come back and such, but this definitely had an air unlike any other anime I’ve watched. Anyways you kind of negated your own comment, there was a difference wasn’t there? And I meant different for this particular anime. That happens when you’ve got a culture. How about Hollywood movies? Full of endless cliches, some handled in new ways from time to time.

• wicked says:

I wonder if either of them would leave the other in the cold. Oreki is logical enough to be able to make that decision, but he’s hardly logical when it comes to Chitanda. I can just see Chitanda disagree with that plan too “because, what about Oreki-kun” I can also see her get distracted afterwards

• TheUltimateReaper says:

That is something quite curious.
            I hadn’t even considered those emotions. Thats some good input man.

• AidanAK47 says:

It shows that the writer is borrowing heavily from standard clichés and attempting fuse them with some mystery so that it makes it seem different. So this was pretty much a guy hiding the fact that he made a standard new years/festival episode. If you are to call this unique than I guess you better plough through some harems as I can promise you will find an episode or twenty with this same situation. So I guess those harems were unique as well then.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Yeah but I liked those episodes, even psgels said it brought a new light to it. I see this episode the same way, the writer has borrowed cliches but I think he’s handled them pretty well. It’s no worst than what Wanted did with “the normal office worker” type of character, or what Avatar did with Native Americans or Pocahontas. Sure it’s a cliche, but if it bothers you thats okay, if it doesn’t thats okay too.

4. Taara535 says:

Sorry everyone, but I thought this episode was plain bad. The scenario made little sense, and they had little character development to counter-balance how bad the plot was.

SPOILER PAST HERE

There were many ways for them to easily get out of that locked room without “appearing together” (which yet again is so dumb given they had only been stuck in that shed for a minute when they could have called for help! How could people misunderstand that?!). Here’s a simpler solution they could have taken to even avoid that “problem”. One hides as the other calls for help. The person who called for help would be let out by someone who presumably would then close up the shed. This first person would then walk away for 3ish minutes and then come back. They would non-nonchalantly open the shed again (it’s not like people were paying attention to it) and let out the other person.

Simple.

Instead, they contrived this elaborate and silly plan while they froze their butts off.

This is a huge let down from the school festival arc, which was much better done.

• AidanAK47 says:

I thought this as well. While I do think people will misunderstand regardless of how it looked.(Just say Chitanda was found in a shed alone with a boy and it sounds suspicious)
      However I thought that Oreki could easily hide while she calls for help as well.

• Puran says:

I thought of that as well! But they way they did it was also interesting.

But I disagree with you on Chitanda’s concerns. They were valid. Especially when taking into consideration that she is from a well known family (which we’ve seen before, but this episode made sure to reinforce it).

Example:

“Did you hear? Chitanda was found locked in a shed with a boy!”

“What were they doing there?”

“Nothing apparently, they got locked in by mistake”

“Right….”

• UltimateReaper says:

I consider this episode laid back, sure, sure, they could have done that. But Oreki doesn’t think like a normal human being, and Chitanda… well, most of her character development has been later rather than sooner so it’s hard to know where her head is at.

At anyrate, I don’t think it was a bad episode. It was fun, and by fun I mean something enjoyable, if your going to nitpick how bout the fact that Oreki didn’t shout when they were closing it? Before Chitanda told him not to shout, he didn’t know, one normally would shout.

Lets just say that they were cold and didn’t weren’t thinking as they should have been, Oreki is a sloth so thats covered.

Listen, no one cares about the truth more than me, if everything can have a proper explanation, then nothing is inherently wrong with the story. This could have happened to people, in the same way or shape in real life. Whether or not it makes for a good story is irrelevant. People constantly judge anime or anything created by what they believe to be “good story telling” but in real life things aren’t always note worthy, sometimes dumb things happen.

Now I’m sure all lot of you will not understand this or think me mad, but this is my conclusion. This sort of scenario actually adds more realism to the situation. Truth is stranger than fiction, crazy things happen in real life, put it into story form and you might say… man what bad writing, but it really happened. Do you get my point here?

In other words you’re all annoying and too caught up illusion. If you can’t accept the episode for what it was I conclude that you are missing out on reality quite a bit. You want to go in depth we can go in depth into why this is not a bad episode. We can also go into depth into how it could have been better. Just be prepared to face new thinking.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

I’d like to apologize in advance for getting so swept up in emotion, but my point I think is valid. I just don’t think it will be a popular one.

• AidanAK47 says:

Don’t worry, you always get swept up in emotion considering that your posts are often nothing more than that.

But let me ask you this. Citanda has the intelligence of a puppy (Quite literally as in the school festival arc when a girl held out a hand in a paw gesture and she did it) so we can’t honestly expect anything out of her. So it’s logical that she didn’t think herself and depended on Oreki like the imbecile she is. But how does this make Oreki look? I am going to quote Rider from fate/zero on this
          He we have our genus deductor Oreki who was so fixated on getting out in a clever way that he completely ignored the obvious solution. That just makes me look down on his character and prove that his experience with getting the film mystery wrong truly did teach him nothing.

• rubix22 says:

@ the quote “Using a simple method to accomplish something impressive far outshines using a complex method to achieve the same thing”

In the same vein, I suppose you could apply that in this situation too. It was even highlighted by Oreki and Chitanda that there were easier solutions (breaking down the door/calling someone over and handling any rumors afterwards).

I suppose this is an instance of Oreki ‘showing off’. I recall previously that in Oreki’s solutions, he doesn’t really try to come up with the correct answer, but rather ‘an answer that would satisfy Chitanda’s curiosity’. Granted Chitanda didn’t outright say she was curious, but Oreki seemed to jump at the chance to try and impress her.

I suppose another quote would go something like:

“If you’re going to do something, might as well go all out.”

The ‘mystery’ itself became less about ‘how can I get out of this shed’ and more about ‘how can I get this person’s attention’. And The solution created was only obvious to two people (Oreki and Satoshi). In that regard, the solution fit the criteria of the ‘mystery’.

• AidanAK47 says:

“You know, I’m reminded of all the suspense/mystery shows I’ve watched where the killer hardly ever runs up to his victim and stabs him. There always has to be some kind of trick.”

Of course there is. If the murder was as simple as someone running up and stabbing someone then it wouldn’t be a mystery. It’s just a murder. It’s too easy to figure out who the murderer is if they go with a simple plan like this. The reason there’s a trick is because the murderer wants to get away with killing someone while leaving behind as little evidence as possible.

Though you may be correct in that Oreki was trying to show off. But it would be nice if they mentioned the simpler solution.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Well I’m emotional! And very rational! Mix the too and its quite explosive. Well I don’t really look down on him. First of all he believes correct solutions to be chance, there is the fact that he is a sloth, and it could have just slipped his mind. *shrugs* nobody is perfect. We all end up doing things others would look down on.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

two*

• Puran says:

“Truth is stranger than fiction, crazy things happen in real life, put it into story form and you might say… man what bad writing, but it really happened. Do you get my point here?”

I do, point well made and I think I agree.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

I think I love you.
          Thanks for not freaking out, I kind of got swept up there, don’t get me wrong I consider your point pretty solid. This episode could have been handled much different/gone in a totally different direction.
          I just think it is what it is, and that’s okay, so to speak.

• wicked says:

Have you seen Chitanda’s house? She’s like the Paris Hilton of that area. People will probably talk regardless of the explanation. Your plan is probably more sound, though Chitanda would have to be the one waiting in the cold since if she was let out first, she might get hounded by her other duty to socialize, not to mention she’s pretty easily distracted. Oreki probably wont leave Chitanda in the cold by herself.

5. AidanAK47 says:

“With this episode something dawned to me: Kyoani could be toying with the idea of making a movie for this show, couldn’t they?”

Not to toot my own horn here but I do believe I was the one to bring that up on the shoutbox.
    But man, I am going to be so smug if it turns out to be true.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

@Aidan:Would you believe I was going to tell him that very thing myself that I was also one of the people talking about it in the shoutbox.
      On further thought I’m not sure now about this, I didn’t really feel all that bothered looking into the Haruhi movie and munto was terrible so in my head the words Kyoani+movie don’t sound positive.

• Scruffy says:

The Haruhi movie was terrible???? What movie did you watch? The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was an awesome movie! As a fan of the franchise it was certainly the best thing done to it and almost (note I said almost) redeemed them for inflicting the “Endless Eight” on us. The K-On movie was nicely done as well.

• wicked says:

I agree, I dont really like the anime series all that much, but the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was excellent

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

That was probably it, I didn’t like alot of the series so I never checked out the movie.

• wicked says:

Suzumiya was one of the first light novels I picked up, and I thought it was pretty original despite the settings looking like the ramblings of a middle school dreamer. The author makes it work. but the 2nd series was just not as good as the first even without the dumb endless august thing that they pulled

• TheUltimateReaper says:

The only thing I didn’t like about the movie/series was the lack of plot. I always wished it had more plot. The ending felt.. soft, to me, but other than that it was pretty well done, I enjoyed it.

• AidanAK47 says:

Scuffy, if you read his post again you will notice that he didn’t say that the Haruhi movie was terrible. He said that the “Munto” movie was terrible. He clearly stated that he wasn’t bothered to check out the Haruhi movie.

Though Kaiser I do suggest you check it out. It’s the best of the series. So much so that even Psgels said something good about it.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

@Aidan:It was the comedy, school life bits and slice of life moments I liked in Haruhi, I’m not big on the mystery/sci-fi element. I liked the male characters in it but Haruhi herself was too unlikeable for me and thats down to me not liking Aya Hirano’s voice acting. The endless eight part of the series just made me give up on Haruhi.
            Maybe I’ll pick up the dvd of disappearance in the dub or read the book instead.
            Aidan is right though scruffy I only mentioned not liking Munto.
            The K-on movie actually to be fair I did enjoy, I was kinda concentrating on the negative a bit too much back there.

6. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think I remember talking to bunny about this episode in the shoutbox recently that this episode didn’t even feel like a mystery at all and I agree with him on that. I know they have to follow the novels and all but I think these final episodes could have done more character work than they have been but thats probably just wanting more than already offered.

7. Arno says:

For three episodes I have had the impression that the creators of this show are on holidays.

The plots are totally neglectable. Character development has regressed (even Oreki is no longer Oreki).

I could not finish this one. Loss of time.

8. sato says:

So… how’d they fit that purse through that tiny crack?
    But if they were gonna be making holes at all (and I thought Chitanda was actually against damage), why didn’t they make a crack near the door handle and nudge the beam out of the way?

Konstantinos here: I have to disagree. I liked the episode and felt they did a good job giving exposition. I like Meteora. That said when Alicertia meets Selesia. Oh boy, that will be a rumble.

On other notes: Attack of the Titan. If they do not pull a bait and switch, we are not in Kansas anymore.

Shingeki no Bahamut: What exceptional animation.
It really does feel like this show is aiming to be something akin to Fate/Zero as that too did have a exposition heavy beginning. Difference here is that series had Urobuchi writting and while the man my be more famous for his murderous treatment of characters, he is a master of presenting exposition.
I hope that's the majority of the exposition done for Re:creators. We established the stakes, rules and factions. So now would be good to focus on the creator and creation interactions plus badass battles.
Honestly I really regret Meteora coming into the story when she's being pretty much a massive exposition device.
Konstantinos Travlos
Hmm the "The Man who Knew 75 Languages" reminds me of the game "The Last Express". Great game. Definitely interested.
moster keaton
ditective conan
@Anon, Pretty sure you are just trying to pick a fight more than defend the show but a decent show to me would be one that is deeply flawed but enjoyable to some degree. Sagrada reset is not this. It goes out of it's way to be unenjoyable. To me it's a 3/4 out of 10 show. Interesting concept but with a presentation so alien that the viewer can't empathise with anything on screen.
I mean, decent warrants about a 5-6. That, in theory, should be an "Average" show.
It's a decent show. You're being overly critical.
In the Out of Competition slot (you think that I'm finished?), 2 films in particular that catch my interest are the Korean Lost in the Moonlight which looks like a fun and lightheart adventure, and the Norway-Poland co-production adult-oriented The Man who Knew 75 Languagues about the star-crossed love between the Queen of Romania and a titular man, I guess
Rounding up the Main Competition are Animal Crackers, a 3G American family film which I don't have good feeling about; Big Fish and Begonia - a Chinese indie film that divided the critics, but gathered skyhigh commercial success in its mainland China; and finally Zombillenium which sounds like an enjoyable European children film
From other countries, most notable films are the Loving Vincent - the first feature length hand painting; the Chinese black comedy Have a Nice Day that premiered in Berlin earlier this year; Ethel and Ernest which already gained a strong reviews from the UK; Tehran Taboo- a German production about the lives of 3 women in Iranian community, which sound exactly like my kinda of film.
Alright, I'm here to bring you news about the selection of this coming Annecy AKA one of the best animation festival out there. 3 of anime features: A Slient Voice, In the Corner of the World and Masaaki Yuasa's Lu over the Wall will compete for the main competition.
I'm a fan of thought-provoking anime (see Lain, Boogiepop Phantom) but I need to care about the story and characters first before I make an effort to dig deeper to the theme. Sagrada Reset failed on that fronts.
It's not really about being smart/dumb here. As a creator, they already have an advantage to know how the story and plot will play out. I don't mind this advantage because otherwise the plot will become a hot mess. But don't use that advantage as a way to widen the gap between them and the audience.
Ugh...Ray Gigant was pretty much mediocre up until this point but now it;s utterly asinine. Whoever decided on this endgame needs to be fired. When you are ready to end a game, no player want a ten floor dungion with a boss on each floor coupled with a goddamn boss rush halfway. Just...fuck.
It must be worse than oremo.
I saw some pages of the eromanga sensei manga and my reaction was that I was sad that it actually existed and stated "why would you even" after looking at it.
As an anime example, sekaisuru kado has lots of dialogue but it seems like it could actually be engaging.
So basically no I don't think we're dumb for not liking sagrada reset, given that myself and Mario are capable of watching genuinely smart wordy things and getting them.
@Mario: I can imagine watching Sagrada reset and thinking I'd rather be watching a Bergman film instead , something also with lots of dialogue and themes but actually engaging/clever and NOT pretentious or obnoxious about it.
is it possible that you are all just dumb?
@Mario: I like how you described it as giving a middle finger to the viewers. It's so true. Like, it tries to be intelligent and make the viewer feel stupid, but it just comes off as obnoxious/pretentious.
CGI remains the worst part of it, but we are getting more and more 2D art which I actually enjoy the style of
Its an improvement. The art is better, and maybe its because I prefer this arc, but the pacing is better as well. I gave last season a 3, but this one is more deserving of a 4 and if they can nail certain scenes coming up I may bump it to a 5.
@Lenlo: How's Berserk doing so far? Haven't picked up last week and this week's episodes.
Ground*. I hate it when I fat finger something.
Thats always the worst, when a story starts off promising and then someone runs it into the grouhnd
@Mario, so it's still at it. To me it's like someone was given an interesting story and made it his mission to ruin it as much as possible.
@Aidan: it's still the same crap. I have a feeling that Sagrada Reset gives a middle finger to us viewers. The plot with development and characters that we have no way to figure out ourselves. The characters who change motive and even personality after each timeline. The main lead girl who act like a robot. I gave this show too many chance so I won't bother to spend more time watching it.
Eromanga sensei
@Mario, Oh ho, what was the dealbreaker? Just that it didn't change or did something really stupid happen?
Sagrada Reset (long sigh) (scratching my head) (eyes rolling). Dropped
Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.

Tsuki ga Kirei – 04 [Passing Shower]

I’m totally impressed with Tsuki ga Kirei thus far. This show has its own voice and after this episode I’m confident that we will have the constant quality in display for the rest of its run. Nothing can beat consistency, I assure you. This week, the kids go to another city for a school trip […]

Sakura Quest – 04 [The Lone Alchemist]

Hmm, I don’t really like the direction Sakura Quest is going for. To be more precise, this episode brings up some questionable variables that I don’t think blended well with the show. The actual story for this week though, is still enjoyable and grounded enough to overcome those concerns. At least for now. This week the […]

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100