Posted by psgels on 5 October 2012 with categories: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, K, Some Quick First Impressions

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a rich noble’s son.
Well, there you have it. The fourth awesome opening episode of the season. I mean heck: this was absolutely delightful. It just screamed retro cheese, but it was so incredibly over the top that it became stunning. I mean, Dio Brando is such a great villain that every time he appeared on the screen I just sat there with a giant grin, but just about everything in this episode was done with incredible passion. Normally I’d complain about overacting, but the way in which this episode just took it over 9000 made it so enjoyable to watch. The show also has this reallly interesting visual style: like expected the animators didn’t attempt to make everything look clean and the characters often look off-model (not to mention the inclusion of some manga-style sound effects – really!), but the direction was so good. It knew what to animate properly, and the use of colours and poses was just delightful to watch. Why did it take so long to make a proper anime of this thing?
ED: Great song there, with great vocals and a very good use of a guitar.
Potential: 90%

K

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has this evil side that murders people.
Whoa, now this is a feast for the senses! The graphical style really shows that this comes from the same people as Mardock Scranble, but even then I was surprised by what a visual orgasm this was. And they made it look so easy. Every frame of this episode looked utterly gorgeous, but what’s even more impressive is that at times they actually bothered to animate the background art. Keep a look-out for the skating scenes, because those were particularly gorgeous. On top of that, this show has a very creative soundtrack: it’s diverse, has very catchy songs and comes with a ton of different styles. The voice acting though… not so good: Lotsa Engrish! Beyond that though, this is a show that was clearly inspired by Durarara, and that’s a very good thing: there were lots of different characters, lots of stuff going on at the same time. It very much was an introduction episode, and this can still go anywhere, but I’m glad to see that this show tries so hard: so many characters are difficult to balance well, but they can get some very good stuff out of this when they manage to pull it off. Some minor complaints: this show has bad hacking going on, and for some reason they did manage to include a school in this series. There are a few cliches in this show that just seem to be there in order to look cool. I know that that’s exactly what this show is trying to do, but there is such a thing as taking things too far.
OP: Utterly gorgeous OP, plus a nice song from Angela.
Potential: 85%

Btooom!

Short Synopsis: Our lead character wakes up in a video game.
One of Madhouse’s specialties is adrenaline: creating those series that focus on building up this stuff. In that way, Btooom is the perfect series for them. It focuses on this teenager who ends up in a game world, but usually with these kinds of stories, the game is an RPG. This time, we’re talking about a full blown action game in which people kill each other with bombs. This is really what I’m looking for for a weekly dose of adrenaline: it got the emotions of the lead male right, combining bewilderment with this sense to survive. This episode already gave a bit of a taste of what the battles will be like, and they’re tense, but also completely unrealistic. It’s a missed opportunity that this series should have put some thought into its explosions, but right now they’re mostly plot devices. The soundtrack and animation are pretty solid though. I mean this isn’t going to win any awards, but if it can keep up this atmosphere then it’ll be pretty damn entertaining. Just handle the lead female with a bit of tact, okay?
OP: Quite stylish, but degenerates into a bit too much of a copy of other OPs as it goes along.
ED: Is that Chiaki Ishikawa? One of my favorite singers for these OPs and EDs. Not her best work, but still a great voice.
Potential: 75%

1. Armpit says:

I think it was stated that the MC was like 22. I could be wrong

2. leokiko says:

The director is a girl, and the second episode handled the girl pretty well.

3. kagura says:

Lol, I thought it was Chiaki Ishikawa too at first, but it’s actually May’n – the one who sang Sheryl’s songs in Macross Frontier and the OP for the first season of Phi Brain.

4. Kiavik says:

Oh my god, I’m laughing so much my sides are hurting here. Really? K has 85% potential? Holy crap, that was one of the most horrible anime I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been watching them for roughly 25 years of my life :_D

It’s one of the few shows I’ve seen where everything was done poorly; from the visuals (with all that dumb green-blue tint and the terrible CG) to the characters and especially the script. OMG the script. Nothing is salvageable here. The K must be for “Kubo”, because this really is an even dumber version of Bleach- stuff happens at random, characters are as paperthin as it gets, and everything is geared toward creating something “cool” just for the sake of it… but in the end, it all falls flat on its face.

The more I read this blog, psgels, the more I realize your taste in anime is quite lacking. Or maybe you’re just very easily entertained and have really, really low standards. I’m not even trolling here: nobody can call himself an anime enthusiast and say with a straight face that K was good. Nobody. I would delete your blog from my bookmarks, but your opinions are so unbelievably removed from the truth that reading them is funny as hell. Keep on with the comedy man!

• wicked says:

and if you look ahead you’ll see the metaphorical door, please exit through the left and don’t it hit your ass on your way out because it is invisible

• leokiko says:

So his taste is wrong and yours is RIGHT? lolk

• wicked says:

nope, but he’s said he wanted leave, just being courteous

• Gautam says:

No, he said your opinions are unintentionally funny to read. If he likes to read them by all means he’s entitled to.

• wicked says:

I’m just trying to save the man some precious time, cause it sounds like if he wants to continue to find the opinion funny, he’d have to to continue to watch a show that he think is crap, that’s a lose lose for everyone.

• imredjimmy says:

I haven’t watched the episode yet but who cares if he liked it and you didn’t. Go make yourself your own blog where you can trash K all you want. How does that sound. I don’t mind you having a different opinion, this is all part of an internet community. But don’t trash someone because he thinks differently. You didn’t like it, that’s fine. No need to be rude to psgels because he did like it.

• billish says:

you’re a dumb green-blue tint

• dudeintheocean says:

@kiavik I see no valid reason why you insulted psgel the way you did. Given that you’ve lived more than 25 years, at this age you should be relatively mature enough now to know that people’s opinion and taste differs. But yes you are not quite grown up yet given the comment. If you truly think that your opinion is better, just create your own blog and stop reading psgel.

5. TheDoorIntoSummer says:

“Every frame of this episode looked utterly gorgeous”

Even those with the greenish glowing tint? Even the utterly orrible CGI?

“Beyond that though, this is a show that was clearly inspired by Durarara”

If Durarara was dull, full of cliches and with random useless bishies everywhere, maybe.

“I’m glad to see that this show tries so hard”

I’d say this show tries WAY TOO hard. And that’s why the first episode failed so miserably for me.

“There are a few cliches in this show that just seem to be there in order to look cool”

Yeah. And the other ton of cliches just seems to be there because the script is godawfully bad.

In conclusion, I found that the first episode of K was probably the most disappointing first episode I’ve EVER seen in my life. A ton of wasted potential, and nothing more.

6. Litho says:

I caught K yesterday, simply because some of its production staff are from the team that did Mardock Scramble (MS), which I love. You can definitely see hints of MS in it, especially with regards to how that ‘simulate’ photographic filters, lens distortion and how they add ‘noise’ to shadows and give everything that ‘cross-processed’ tint. Problem here is; unlike MS which pulled it off effortlessly, K’s trying way too hard to be cool. Kinda in the same vein shows like Haruhi and Bakemonogatari try way too hard to seem intelligent (and fail, imho).

As for the plot, it started out alright (if a bit generic), but went to shit the moment the protagonist appeared. Typical. Feels a bit like Durarara (another show which tried to hard). Also get vibes similar to that queer ninja anime (Nabari something).

Also, the animators seem to be playing way too much Tony Hawk.

So far, the only keeper for me this season is Shin Sekai Yori.

7. pH says:

I laughed at the top rankings in Btooom being famous tennis players.

K is over the top, for sure, but what’s with the vehement reactions?

• wicked says:

trolls

• Scruffy says:

don’t feed them

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

I’m being totally serious here, Wicked. For me, K was a huge disappointment, and I don’t see any redeeming quality whatsoever in the first episode.

• wicked says:

What do you really know about K? You saw one episode. You might as well just watch Bruce Wayne’s parent die and tell me this batman movie is terrible.

What’s that flame thingy, what’s with the swords, who’s that chick on the promo, why is the whole thing tinted? Is that white hair guy actually a girl?

I mean it’s cool if you have no patience, I dont really plan on following K that closely, you could be right you could be wrong, but snap judgement are what they are, do pawn it off to me like you’re the great seer of destiny

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

Yeah. But I didn’t judge the series. I said that the first episode was a colossal disappointment. Because it was. And that’s it. Never talked about the series as a whole.

Hell, I don’t even plan on watching the series after the first episode, because I thought it was horrible. Those were (I repeat it to be as clear as possible) just my opinions on the first episode.

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

…and I meant to write “Because for me it was”.

• wicked says:

What I understand even less is how you could have expectations for a series that quite literally revealed nothing. You must have saw those CG in the promo, too. How do you criticize script when it didn’t even began to tell a story.

• GT says:

They were only referring to the first episode, slick.

• Avalon says:

Yet another person basing an entire anime off the first episode. K was weird, even I can admit that and not all the characters came off as people I want to watch for another 3 months, but that is not going to stop me from allowing the show to change my opinion.

It may not happen, but 2-3 episodes are absolutely necessary to truly judge an anime. If it still isn’t working for you after that then by all means stop watching it.

Earlier you said, “I found that the first episode of K was probably the most disappointing first episode I’ve EVER seen in my life.” Either you had RIDICULOUSLY high expectations or you have not seen very many truly bad anime.

8. Jay says:

Like some of the other commenters, I was very disappointed by K. I had high expectations of it, which probably makes it seem worse. It might well be able to improve itself in the next few episodes, so I’ll keep watching for a while longer. To me, the visuals seemed overdone and uncomfortable to watch (although pretty at times), the characters were generic and boring, the music was unremarkable, and it turns out that the female lead is a cat who’s going to spend lots of the time in human form naked.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure looks very promising. I’ll have to watch it.

• Reverse says:

Jojo that one fast pace adaptation without leaving any page from manga. even then it still good, but it kinda screw the timeline from the anime only viewer. At the time dio meet jojo, and the end of this episode it probably a years has past. however it feel like 1 week in anime

9. Mormegil says:

I’m glad to hear that the first episode of JoJo was one of the best of the season. Can’t wait!

10. Lex says:

Seems like this will be a good season tbh ^^

11. Steelman says:

Oh wow. They crammed 120+ manga pages in one episode. And I can’t say i disapprove – JoJo is among my most anticipated anime of the season, but let’s be honest, Part 1 is not exactly stellar. It’s Part 2 and 3 where the manga becomes exceptional.

12. billish says:

Some things about K.
    After the first scene, I was ready to bust out of my chair laughing at the ultra-bad, terribad, everything that had happened, but it redeemed itself slightly with the second half.
    Also, the skate scenes were outrageous for me. Such pointless style-swapping; and it did look… borrowed, from some western video games (i dont want to say tony hawk, but i’ve seen this style before somewhere – and it’s pretty much the exact same camera angles). I did like that same stylistic direction in other parts, however, so i may just have some bias to skateboard..ers.
    I’m a little worried about seeing that red-haired dude with the chain (chains were never cool) come back, tho.
    And i’m almost done: Trying to look cool = failing to look cool, no matter how you put it. I mean… I could in some ways use subtle as a synonym for cool. If there’s anything we can all agree on, this show is not subtle.
    Sorry for the blog post-reply on your blog, psgels :P

13. sato says:

Haha, lots of strong opinions on here! So I’ll just throw mine out there too, since it seems nobody has voiced similar thoughts yet..

I thought Jojo was absolutely awful – one of the worst things I’ve sat through in a long time. Granted, I’m not familiar with the source material or other incarnations, but to me it was an insult to my intelligence, and anime in general. The animation was terrible (like the low budget scenes from zetman), the acting was overdone, and most importantly the plot had no redeeming value. There’s the main kid who is a clueless idiot (who boxes, but can’t beat some random thugs over a doll??). There’s the way over the top villain who has no reason to be such an ass – the only thing he should be mad about is his dad waiting until his deathbed to send him to the rich family. (And both boys are supposed to be 12? Ha!) Dio way too easily destroys Jojo’s life – and the stuff with the dog was uncalled for. And then there’s that silly mask.. I don’t even want to know why the father keeps it. I’m assuming it will possess one of the boys, and hilarity ensues..

I mean… it comes across as a cheap spoof of anime cliches. I can’t see how that is entertaining.

• Gavrilo says:

You do realize this comes from a 1987 manga series, right? These cheap cliches are part of its retro charms, even if they seem completely silly today. It’s pretty much like calling Dragon Ball a generic battle shounen that you’ve seen countless times before. But that’s obvious, since now you have hundreds and hundreds of series influenced by it. Without the so called cheap cliches, lots of great stuff wouldn’t have been developed, and that’s one of the main reasons why I love retro stuff. They are usually outdated, simple and not as impressive as their modern counterparts, but that just makes me appreciate them even more.

• sato says:

No, as I said, I’m not familiar with the source material. “They are usually outdated, simple and not as impressive as their modern counterparts” – I don’t agree that because it is older that it should be inferior to later works. Classics are classics because they are great, not because they are old. For instance, the Studio Ghibli stuff from the 80’s: Nausicaa, Grave of the Fireflies, Laputa, etc are still amazing now. But watching something just because it is “retro” even though it sucks is not my idea of good entertainment.

• someloser says:

“insult to anime in general” – your petty idealistic view of anime is showing, might want to choose an actual show that’s cliche for your insult, like the cute girls with tanks, cute girls as mini robots, harem with cats, just plain harem, high school girls SoL, reverse harem, harem butler, 4 shows on beyblades, middle school girls SoL, tennis school girls SoL, all of it, this season.

hurr durr, I can’t watch a show where the antagonist does antagonistic things. dio is trying to isolate jojo, why else does he kill his dog?

And both boys are supposed to be 12? – and konata’s supposed to be 18?

the animation was terrible – it’s david production, and it’s the only thing i’ll agree with you. jesus i hope you’re trolling in some way.

• sato says:

I agree that my standard for anime might be different from yours. Most of those cliche types you list, I avoid from the get-go. I don’t knowingly put myself through stuff I know I won’t like. You can usually tell from the promo art or description what the show will be about. But not in this case. I was expecting something more like Lupin, or Gankutsuou, or Man of 20 Faces.

Let me add that I don’t watch the first episodes of every series that comes out. I follow blogs like this one because I respect psgels judgment, and when he rates something higher than 75% or so, I’ll check it out.

As for your comments on my post:

“a show where the antagonist does antagonistic things” – doing antagonistic things for the sake of being the antagonist is plain bad writing. I’m ok with it if a reason is given. Why is Dio such an ass? Just bad genes? Or are we watching a Saturday morning cartoon here?

The age thing – Konata.. from Lucky Star, yes? I think we can safely say these shows are not related.. so what’s your point? Super-deformed might be another (modern) cliche used for comedic or cutesy effect, but I’m pretty this one is not supposed to be either.

Trolling? – sorry no, I’m here in all seriousness. The only thing trolling is this show, and possibly everyone who says it is amazing. (Sorry, that just slipped out..) I added my comments in the case somebody else makes the same mistake of checking this out without hearing the flaws. I’m just surprised nobody else has felt the same.

• someloser says:

looking back, i may have been a bit rude on my part, and have lost my anger a bit.

The reason dio’s evil is already implied by the show. dude’s father was a drunken bastard which eventually lead to the death of his mom. he’s a dick to jojo due to jojo being rich and spoiled compared to having lived slums most of his life. Lastly it would be his ambition to rise to the top rather than becoming the shameful disgrace his father was, and taking down jojo is all part of it.

alright, he’s not exactly 12 year old looking. so how does this screw up the show?

how the heck did you expect lupin ganketsuou or twenty faces?

main character is a clueless idiot – character development to fabulous
          over the top villain – fabulous effect
          insult to anime – ignore the 50% of anime that get lower than 75% and still regard anime as worth insulting

• sato says:

Haha, I listed those three quickly because I was trying to come up with examples of the initial feel I got from the description and screenshots… atmospheric, artsy, action-mystery..

So, we don’t really need to argue about the details in this show anymore. I think it is established that it’s not my cup of tea. I might check out later reviews to see if it goes anywhere, but I don’t intend to follow it.

As for your last comment, I’m not sure I understand, “ignore the 50% of anime that get lower than 75% and still regard anime as worth insulting.” Just because I enjoy anime, doesn’t mean I have to like ALL anime. Sometimes they just suck.

• Gunnisberg says:

You’re worse than that k shitposter. This is the best anime of the season and you missing out on all the fun because you’re fucking tasteless.

14. Yes says:

Hey Psgels, the ED is “Roundabout” by Yes, one of the greatest classic rock bands of all time.

15. Houlgrave says:

sato: JoJo is one of those things that really deserves a look into as far as source material goes before you start laying on the criticism. Its the best shounen series of all goddamn time for Chrisakes. :/

16. Shin says:

Btooom! was okay, but there are some logical flaws… I think. Like you mentioned psgels: How the bombs (not) worked on the main character in battle. I kept thinking to myself “How the hell can he NOT be killed by this / stand up everytime again and again / still have all his limbs left on him?”. But I also found it VERY … let’s call baffling that it took him so long to figure out that he got frickin’ time bombs. Dude. There was a timer on it. What else should it have been? He even tested one before! I mean, when I as watcher, totally unfamiliar with military, weapons, bombs and such, can figure out that “strange little device with counter that ticks down and down” = “ITSA TIME BOMB” … Why can’t he, who seems like he’s having an interest in the whole thing. These bombs even are implemented in the game as he mentioned… 10th best player alright, huh ^^;; Of course he was thrown in the whole situation … but as I said, he tested one of them and SAW the counter and had the bomb explode before him… so yeah. Sorry, I’m rambling, but that was just too strange for me, that he suddenly went all like “omygosh those are TIME BAAAMBS?”
    Also, did you notice at the end how he threw his controller into the fricking wall? XD What was that about? Either those walls in Japan are really not the most robust ones, or he has some scary inhuman powers in those gamer-arms!

• wicked says:

I’ve punched through dry walls a couple times in my life, at the expenses of my knuckles, but if it’s not concrete, actually not so difficult.

First episode could have done better. For one thing, it didnt bother to explain that contact style bombs are the weakest in term of firepower because of it’s convenient nature(this showed up as a info sheet before the manga chapter). The other thing is that it should darker than what the anime portrayed, the two of them were never really able to fully make out the other much less the bombs, which why the psycho’s accuracy is horrible.

With his mental process. He just kidnapped, knocked out and threw onto a tropical island with a fanny pack full of contraption he’s never seen(obviously it looked different from the game). Who in their right mind would quickly make the connection immediately that this is exactly like the game I played? A psycho is chasing him with bombs trying to kill him in real life. Under stress, his mind is not processing how the bomb works. Bill Buckner played baseball so well that he made it into the big league as an everyday starter, he’s field grounders countless times it should be like breathing, 1986 World series, right through his leg.

• Shin says:

Well of course there are walls that can be smashed easily. But for me, that was just too dramatic in that moment – A controller you angrily throw off in a not-so-concentrated way just should not stack to the wall like that, I just can’t cope with that! :D”

You’re right about that: At least darkness would’ve explained that the aim of the two was way off, causing the bombs to go off in places where the guys (luckily) were out of explosion-range. Well, it was dark later … and they were running through that jungle in panic and haste too … Of course this also leads to missing the target, but in the anime it was portrayed, like, the bomb fell to his foot, and he just flew some metres, without being harmed at all. That’s not aim-off, that’s aim-on. They just shouldn’t have placed the bombs/explosions so near at him – then I wouldn’t have any complains.

Like I said – *that* point I can understand, he’s just thrown out on this alien island, all by himself, someone’s chasing him down, etc. But he acutally tried these bombs out before, in a calm moment … he -saw- how they worked, and that time-counter. I don’t complain about him missing his opponent/forgetting to push the button the whole time – because under those circumenstances, that shouldn’t be surprising, also because he most likely never held a real bomb in his hands before – I was just baffled how he completely forgot about that counter at all and then exclaims so excitedly, that he has time bombs there. It should’ve made “click” in his head soon before when the bomb of his exploded on the beach. But, overthinking it: You’re completely right, in mental confusion, that’s an easy one to go wrong, especially with so many things going around at him at the moment, and he’s literally running away from his own death.
        Still. I think, when it comes to such a series, where unrealistic things and circumenstances are all around (nobody will come and kidnap the 10 best players of some shooter MMO to let them fight with each other with real bombs… …I hope?), such things that need a sense of realism shouldn’t be thought too much on as well. :| When I as watcher sit there and just think to myself “already figure out what you’re holding there, damnit. stop whining about getting killed, you’ll live on, that’s the first episode”… I dunno. It was so predictable. Anime like to exaggerate, but when it comes to such simple things, they drag it out… Still, I’m not talking back to your opinion at all! I think, I just don’t like how it was executed. … yeah, I think, that was the point I was trying to make!

17. Reverse says:

K that skateboard part pretty awesome, i’m impressed (even with the cgi background, plus the model itself most likely a rotoscoping ) the scene look particular familiar just cant point out what……

18. Arno says:

I agree with Psgels about K. First it’s great art, and one of the few animes that deserve viewing on a large HD screen. Music too.

Then it is true the characters are cliche, but masterfully so, they are made so over the top that it becomes poetry.

I will be looking forward for this.

19. Trass says:

Hmm… Once again we have different opinions, psgels.

Like so many others, I was also disappointed by K. I still liked Durarara and liked its coolness, but K just tried way too hard. I don’t like the annoying tint either, it’s disturbing to my eyes.

And the white haired MC. God, he was just so annoying to watch. I can barely keep up with the show once he appeared. That kind of character is what I hate the most in anime, a male who acts and sounds very odd and weird, to the point where you won’t actually find anyone in real life speaking and behaving like that, BUT no one seems to care about that fact and treated him as if he’s the most normal thing in the world (don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against feminine guys in general).

Putting that aside, the plot was very cliched, at least as far as I can see from the first episode. This ep really left lots of things to be desired.

Well, I’m still gonna check this out for one or two episodes before dropping it though, just in case I missed something.

20. HunterWulf says:

The criticizing “opinions” about K are so hilarious to read .. you guys need both your eyes and heads checked …. i’m not saying its perfect but it pretty much one of the best animes this new season and probably this whole year (at least gives the impression it will be from its first episode), not only are the visuals are insane and top rank and no anime TV series in a long time had such impressive movie-quality visuals (almost as good as Mardock Scramble .. only few notches below), but they setup a very interesting ground for what’s to come and introduced a lot of characters (almost all the cast maybe except the naked floating cat girl) and gave us a hint at how impressive the fight scenes in the upcoming episodes will look like.

I can understand if you didn’t like the genre or not interested in this type of show .. but disappointed !!!! seriously what kind of %^&*%$ unrealistic expectations did you have people.

Oh .. and i noticed some people are tint sensitive .. poor kiddos can’t handle color tints XD

• Trass says:

Not sure if we’re looking at the same thing, but the animation doesn’t look fluid to me. Well, the fight scenes were cool and amazing but it doesn’t look movie quality at all, at least to me.

I was disappointed because the show is not what I expected it to be, judging from psgels’ review. I didn’t have any interest in this show before psgels gave it such a high rating, but in the end, I didn’t like it as much as him. That’s why I was ‘disappointed’. Not sure how it matters to you if I and a few others are disappointed or not, but I explained my reasons anyway. Also, notice that I never said the show was ugly or bad. It’s all about ‘disappointed’ or ‘don’t like’. It’s heavily subjective.

For the tint, I think we all (including you) know what I meant when I said ‘the tint is disturbing to my eyes’. Look, if you didn’t like spicy foods, am I right to laugh at you and say “poor kiddos can’t handle spicy foods XD”. The fact that I’m not the only one complaining about the tint proves that there are a lot who don’t like their decision to air the show completely in that color. There are of course, just as many people who liked it the way it is. But at least I wasn’t belittling anyone with their taste.

• Jay says:

If you can legitimately hold an opinion of being pleased by the first ep, then other people can legitimately hold the opinion of being disappointed by it. Otherwise the only reaction people would be allowed would be “this was exactly what I expected it would be and I feel neutral about it”.

Enjoyment and interpretation of media is subjective. Sensible adults realise this and do not go on furious rants when they find people didn’t enjoy an episode as much as they did. Seriously, your comment above basically says that the only explanation you can comprehend without becoming enraged for someone not liking K’s first ep as much as you did is if they just don’t like the genre the show is in as a whole. Nope, subjectivity exists, and you should get used to it.

21. Stephen says:

So according to the people here, K has the worst visuals, worst script, and worse characters. Holy Cow.

22. Freedert says:

I doubt Btooom! ED was sung by Ishikawa Chiaki, the voice is more like May’n ‘s……..

23. meow says:

Uwaaah. Miyuki Sawashiro is actually voicing psycho kid. >.>; She’s been in like every anime lately and even a lot of the games I’ve been playing. Now every time I run into her voice again, I’m gonna think of this blood soaked psycho kid. I should have dropped this show when I had the chance. =.=;

@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100