Posted by psgels on 5 October 2012 with categories: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, K, Some Quick First Impressions

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a rich noble’s son.
Well, there you have it. The fourth awesome opening episode of the season. I mean heck: this was absolutely delightful. It just screamed retro cheese, but it was so incredibly over the top that it became stunning. I mean, Dio Brando is such a great villain that every time he appeared on the screen I just sat there with a giant grin, but just about everything in this episode was done with incredible passion. Normally I’d complain about overacting, but the way in which this episode just took it over 9000 made it so enjoyable to watch. The show also has this reallly interesting visual style: like expected the animators didn’t attempt to make everything look clean and the characters often look off-model (not to mention the inclusion of some manga-style sound effects – really!), but the direction was so good. It knew what to animate properly, and the use of colours and poses was just delightful to watch. Why did it take so long to make a proper anime of this thing?
ED: Great song there, with great vocals and a very good use of a guitar.
Potential: 90%

K

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has this evil side that murders people.
Whoa, now this is a feast for the senses! The graphical style really shows that this comes from the same people as Mardock Scranble, but even then I was surprised by what a visual orgasm this was. And they made it look so easy. Every frame of this episode looked utterly gorgeous, but what’s even more impressive is that at times they actually bothered to animate the background art. Keep a look-out for the skating scenes, because those were particularly gorgeous. On top of that, this show has a very creative soundtrack: it’s diverse, has very catchy songs and comes with a ton of different styles. The voice acting though… not so good: Lotsa Engrish! Beyond that though, this is a show that was clearly inspired by Durarara, and that’s a very good thing: there were lots of different characters, lots of stuff going on at the same time. It very much was an introduction episode, and this can still go anywhere, but I’m glad to see that this show tries so hard: so many characters are difficult to balance well, but they can get some very good stuff out of this when they manage to pull it off. Some minor complaints: this show has bad hacking going on, and for some reason they did manage to include a school in this series. There are a few cliches in this show that just seem to be there in order to look cool. I know that that’s exactly what this show is trying to do, but there is such a thing as taking things too far.
OP: Utterly gorgeous OP, plus a nice song from Angela.
Potential: 85%

Btooom!

Short Synopsis: Our lead character wakes up in a video game.
One of Madhouse’s specialties is adrenaline: creating those series that focus on building up this stuff. In that way, Btooom is the perfect series for them. It focuses on this teenager who ends up in a game world, but usually with these kinds of stories, the game is an RPG. This time, we’re talking about a full blown action game in which people kill each other with bombs. This is really what I’m looking for for a weekly dose of adrenaline: it got the emotions of the lead male right, combining bewilderment with this sense to survive. This episode already gave a bit of a taste of what the battles will be like, and they’re tense, but also completely unrealistic. It’s a missed opportunity that this series should have put some thought into its explosions, but right now they’re mostly plot devices. The soundtrack and animation are pretty solid though. I mean this isn’t going to win any awards, but if it can keep up this atmosphere then it’ll be pretty damn entertaining. Just handle the lead female with a bit of tact, okay?
OP: Quite stylish, but degenerates into a bit too much of a copy of other OPs as it goes along.
ED: Is that Chiaki Ishikawa? One of my favorite singers for these OPs and EDs. Not her best work, but still a great voice.
Potential: 75%

1. Armpit says:

I think it was stated that the MC was like 22. I could be wrong

2. leokiko says:

The director is a girl, and the second episode handled the girl pretty well.

3. kagura says:

Lol, I thought it was Chiaki Ishikawa too at first, but it’s actually May’n – the one who sang Sheryl’s songs in Macross Frontier and the OP for the first season of Phi Brain.

4. Kiavik says:

Oh my god, I’m laughing so much my sides are hurting here. Really? K has 85% potential? Holy crap, that was one of the most horrible anime I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been watching them for roughly 25 years of my life :_D

It’s one of the few shows I’ve seen where everything was done poorly; from the visuals (with all that dumb green-blue tint and the terrible CG) to the characters and especially the script. OMG the script. Nothing is salvageable here. The K must be for “Kubo”, because this really is an even dumber version of Bleach- stuff happens at random, characters are as paperthin as it gets, and everything is geared toward creating something “cool” just for the sake of it… but in the end, it all falls flat on its face.

The more I read this blog, psgels, the more I realize your taste in anime is quite lacking. Or maybe you’re just very easily entertained and have really, really low standards. I’m not even trolling here: nobody can call himself an anime enthusiast and say with a straight face that K was good. Nobody. I would delete your blog from my bookmarks, but your opinions are so unbelievably removed from the truth that reading them is funny as hell. Keep on with the comedy man!

• wicked says:

and if you look ahead you’ll see the metaphorical door, please exit through the left and don’t it hit your ass on your way out because it is invisible

• leokiko says:

So his taste is wrong and yours is RIGHT? lolk

• wicked says:

nope, but he’s said he wanted leave, just being courteous

• Gautam says:

No, he said your opinions are unintentionally funny to read. If he likes to read them by all means he’s entitled to.

• wicked says:

I’m just trying to save the man some precious time, cause it sounds like if he wants to continue to find the opinion funny, he’d have to to continue to watch a show that he think is crap, that’s a lose lose for everyone.

• imredjimmy says:

I haven’t watched the episode yet but who cares if he liked it and you didn’t. Go make yourself your own blog where you can trash K all you want. How does that sound. I don’t mind you having a different opinion, this is all part of an internet community. But don’t trash someone because he thinks differently. You didn’t like it, that’s fine. No need to be rude to psgels because he did like it.

• billish says:

you’re a dumb green-blue tint

• dudeintheocean says:

@kiavik I see no valid reason why you insulted psgel the way you did. Given that you’ve lived more than 25 years, at this age you should be relatively mature enough now to know that people’s opinion and taste differs. But yes you are not quite grown up yet given the comment. If you truly think that your opinion is better, just create your own blog and stop reading psgel.

5. TheDoorIntoSummer says:

“Every frame of this episode looked utterly gorgeous”

Even those with the greenish glowing tint? Even the utterly orrible CGI?

“Beyond that though, this is a show that was clearly inspired by Durarara”

If Durarara was dull, full of cliches and with random useless bishies everywhere, maybe.

“I’m glad to see that this show tries so hard”

I’d say this show tries WAY TOO hard. And that’s why the first episode failed so miserably for me.

“There are a few cliches in this show that just seem to be there in order to look cool”

Yeah. And the other ton of cliches just seems to be there because the script is godawfully bad.

In conclusion, I found that the first episode of K was probably the most disappointing first episode I’ve EVER seen in my life. A ton of wasted potential, and nothing more.

6. Litho says:

I caught K yesterday, simply because some of its production staff are from the team that did Mardock Scramble (MS), which I love. You can definitely see hints of MS in it, especially with regards to how that ‘simulate’ photographic filters, lens distortion and how they add ‘noise’ to shadows and give everything that ‘cross-processed’ tint. Problem here is; unlike MS which pulled it off effortlessly, K’s trying way too hard to be cool. Kinda in the same vein shows like Haruhi and Bakemonogatari try way too hard to seem intelligent (and fail, imho).

As for the plot, it started out alright (if a bit generic), but went to shit the moment the protagonist appeared. Typical. Feels a bit like Durarara (another show which tried to hard). Also get vibes similar to that queer ninja anime (Nabari something).

Also, the animators seem to be playing way too much Tony Hawk.

So far, the only keeper for me this season is Shin Sekai Yori.

7. pH says:

I laughed at the top rankings in Btooom being famous tennis players.

K is over the top, for sure, but what’s with the vehement reactions?

• wicked says:

trolls

• Scruffy says:

don’t feed them

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

I’m being totally serious here, Wicked. For me, K was a huge disappointment, and I don’t see any redeeming quality whatsoever in the first episode.

• wicked says:

What do you really know about K? You saw one episode. You might as well just watch Bruce Wayne’s parent die and tell me this batman movie is terrible.

What’s that flame thingy, what’s with the swords, who’s that chick on the promo, why is the whole thing tinted? Is that white hair guy actually a girl?

I mean it’s cool if you have no patience, I dont really plan on following K that closely, you could be right you could be wrong, but snap judgement are what they are, do pawn it off to me like you’re the great seer of destiny

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

Yeah. But I didn’t judge the series. I said that the first episode was a colossal disappointment. Because it was. And that’s it. Never talked about the series as a whole.

Hell, I don’t even plan on watching the series after the first episode, because I thought it was horrible. Those were (I repeat it to be as clear as possible) just my opinions on the first episode.

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

…and I meant to write “Because for me it was”.

• wicked says:

What I understand even less is how you could have expectations for a series that quite literally revealed nothing. You must have saw those CG in the promo, too. How do you criticize script when it didn’t even began to tell a story.

• GT says:

They were only referring to the first episode, slick.

• Avalon says:

Yet another person basing an entire anime off the first episode. K was weird, even I can admit that and not all the characters came off as people I want to watch for another 3 months, but that is not going to stop me from allowing the show to change my opinion.

It may not happen, but 2-3 episodes are absolutely necessary to truly judge an anime. If it still isn’t working for you after that then by all means stop watching it.

Earlier you said, “I found that the first episode of K was probably the most disappointing first episode I’ve EVER seen in my life.” Either you had RIDICULOUSLY high expectations or you have not seen very many truly bad anime.

8. Jay says:

Like some of the other commenters, I was very disappointed by K. I had high expectations of it, which probably makes it seem worse. It might well be able to improve itself in the next few episodes, so I’ll keep watching for a while longer. To me, the visuals seemed overdone and uncomfortable to watch (although pretty at times), the characters were generic and boring, the music was unremarkable, and it turns out that the female lead is a cat who’s going to spend lots of the time in human form naked.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure looks very promising. I’ll have to watch it.

• Reverse says:

Jojo that one fast pace adaptation without leaving any page from manga. even then it still good, but it kinda screw the timeline from the anime only viewer. At the time dio meet jojo, and the end of this episode it probably a years has past. however it feel like 1 week in anime

9. Mormegil says:

I’m glad to hear that the first episode of JoJo was one of the best of the season. Can’t wait!

10. Lex says:

Seems like this will be a good season tbh ^^

11. Steelman says:

Oh wow. They crammed 120+ manga pages in one episode. And I can’t say i disapprove – JoJo is among my most anticipated anime of the season, but let’s be honest, Part 1 is not exactly stellar. It’s Part 2 and 3 where the manga becomes exceptional.

12. billish says:

Some things about K.
    After the first scene, I was ready to bust out of my chair laughing at the ultra-bad, terribad, everything that had happened, but it redeemed itself slightly with the second half.
    Also, the skate scenes were outrageous for me. Such pointless style-swapping; and it did look… borrowed, from some western video games (i dont want to say tony hawk, but i’ve seen this style before somewhere – and it’s pretty much the exact same camera angles). I did like that same stylistic direction in other parts, however, so i may just have some bias to skateboard..ers.
    I’m a little worried about seeing that red-haired dude with the chain (chains were never cool) come back, tho.
    And i’m almost done: Trying to look cool = failing to look cool, no matter how you put it. I mean… I could in some ways use subtle as a synonym for cool. If there’s anything we can all agree on, this show is not subtle.
    Sorry for the blog post-reply on your blog, psgels :P

13. sato says:

Haha, lots of strong opinions on here! So I’ll just throw mine out there too, since it seems nobody has voiced similar thoughts yet..

I thought Jojo was absolutely awful – one of the worst things I’ve sat through in a long time. Granted, I’m not familiar with the source material or other incarnations, but to me it was an insult to my intelligence, and anime in general. The animation was terrible (like the low budget scenes from zetman), the acting was overdone, and most importantly the plot had no redeeming value. There’s the main kid who is a clueless idiot (who boxes, but can’t beat some random thugs over a doll??). There’s the way over the top villain who has no reason to be such an ass – the only thing he should be mad about is his dad waiting until his deathbed to send him to the rich family. (And both boys are supposed to be 12? Ha!) Dio way too easily destroys Jojo’s life – and the stuff with the dog was uncalled for. And then there’s that silly mask.. I don’t even want to know why the father keeps it. I’m assuming it will possess one of the boys, and hilarity ensues..

I mean… it comes across as a cheap spoof of anime cliches. I can’t see how that is entertaining.

• Gavrilo says:

You do realize this comes from a 1987 manga series, right? These cheap cliches are part of its retro charms, even if they seem completely silly today. It’s pretty much like calling Dragon Ball a generic battle shounen that you’ve seen countless times before. But that’s obvious, since now you have hundreds and hundreds of series influenced by it. Without the so called cheap cliches, lots of great stuff wouldn’t have been developed, and that’s one of the main reasons why I love retro stuff. They are usually outdated, simple and not as impressive as their modern counterparts, but that just makes me appreciate them even more.

• sato says:

No, as I said, I’m not familiar with the source material. “They are usually outdated, simple and not as impressive as their modern counterparts” – I don’t agree that because it is older that it should be inferior to later works. Classics are classics because they are great, not because they are old. For instance, the Studio Ghibli stuff from the 80’s: Nausicaa, Grave of the Fireflies, Laputa, etc are still amazing now. But watching something just because it is “retro” even though it sucks is not my idea of good entertainment.

• someloser says:

“insult to anime in general” – your petty idealistic view of anime is showing, might want to choose an actual show that’s cliche for your insult, like the cute girls with tanks, cute girls as mini robots, harem with cats, just plain harem, high school girls SoL, reverse harem, harem butler, 4 shows on beyblades, middle school girls SoL, tennis school girls SoL, all of it, this season.

hurr durr, I can’t watch a show where the antagonist does antagonistic things. dio is trying to isolate jojo, why else does he kill his dog?

And both boys are supposed to be 12? – and konata’s supposed to be 18?

the animation was terrible – it’s david production, and it’s the only thing i’ll agree with you. jesus i hope you’re trolling in some way.

• sato says:

I agree that my standard for anime might be different from yours. Most of those cliche types you list, I avoid from the get-go. I don’t knowingly put myself through stuff I know I won’t like. You can usually tell from the promo art or description what the show will be about. But not in this case. I was expecting something more like Lupin, or Gankutsuou, or Man of 20 Faces.

Let me add that I don’t watch the first episodes of every series that comes out. I follow blogs like this one because I respect psgels judgment, and when he rates something higher than 75% or so, I’ll check it out.

As for your comments on my post:

“a show where the antagonist does antagonistic things” – doing antagonistic things for the sake of being the antagonist is plain bad writing. I’m ok with it if a reason is given. Why is Dio such an ass? Just bad genes? Or are we watching a Saturday morning cartoon here?

The age thing – Konata.. from Lucky Star, yes? I think we can safely say these shows are not related.. so what’s your point? Super-deformed might be another (modern) cliche used for comedic or cutesy effect, but I’m pretty this one is not supposed to be either.

Trolling? – sorry no, I’m here in all seriousness. The only thing trolling is this show, and possibly everyone who says it is amazing. (Sorry, that just slipped out..) I added my comments in the case somebody else makes the same mistake of checking this out without hearing the flaws. I’m just surprised nobody else has felt the same.

• someloser says:

looking back, i may have been a bit rude on my part, and have lost my anger a bit.

The reason dio’s evil is already implied by the show. dude’s father was a drunken bastard which eventually lead to the death of his mom. he’s a dick to jojo due to jojo being rich and spoiled compared to having lived slums most of his life. Lastly it would be his ambition to rise to the top rather than becoming the shameful disgrace his father was, and taking down jojo is all part of it.

alright, he’s not exactly 12 year old looking. so how does this screw up the show?

how the heck did you expect lupin ganketsuou or twenty faces?

main character is a clueless idiot – character development to fabulous
          over the top villain – fabulous effect
          insult to anime – ignore the 50% of anime that get lower than 75% and still regard anime as worth insulting

• sato says:

Haha, I listed those three quickly because I was trying to come up with examples of the initial feel I got from the description and screenshots… atmospheric, artsy, action-mystery..

So, we don’t really need to argue about the details in this show anymore. I think it is established that it’s not my cup of tea. I might check out later reviews to see if it goes anywhere, but I don’t intend to follow it.

As for your last comment, I’m not sure I understand, “ignore the 50% of anime that get lower than 75% and still regard anime as worth insulting.” Just because I enjoy anime, doesn’t mean I have to like ALL anime. Sometimes they just suck.

• Gunnisberg says:

You’re worse than that k shitposter. This is the best anime of the season and you missing out on all the fun because you’re fucking tasteless.

14. Yes says:

Hey Psgels, the ED is “Roundabout” by Yes, one of the greatest classic rock bands of all time.

15. Houlgrave says:

sato: JoJo is one of those things that really deserves a look into as far as source material goes before you start laying on the criticism. Its the best shounen series of all goddamn time for Chrisakes. :/

16. Shin says:

Btooom! was okay, but there are some logical flaws… I think. Like you mentioned psgels: How the bombs (not) worked on the main character in battle. I kept thinking to myself “How the hell can he NOT be killed by this / stand up everytime again and again / still have all his limbs left on him?”. But I also found it VERY … let’s call baffling that it took him so long to figure out that he got frickin’ time bombs. Dude. There was a timer on it. What else should it have been? He even tested one before! I mean, when I as watcher, totally unfamiliar with military, weapons, bombs and such, can figure out that “strange little device with counter that ticks down and down” = “ITSA TIME BOMB” … Why can’t he, who seems like he’s having an interest in the whole thing. These bombs even are implemented in the game as he mentioned… 10th best player alright, huh ^^;; Of course he was thrown in the whole situation … but as I said, he tested one of them and SAW the counter and had the bomb explode before him… so yeah. Sorry, I’m rambling, but that was just too strange for me, that he suddenly went all like “omygosh those are TIME BAAAMBS?”
    Also, did you notice at the end how he threw his controller into the fricking wall? XD What was that about? Either those walls in Japan are really not the most robust ones, or he has some scary inhuman powers in those gamer-arms!

• wicked says:

I’ve punched through dry walls a couple times in my life, at the expenses of my knuckles, but if it’s not concrete, actually not so difficult.

First episode could have done better. For one thing, it didnt bother to explain that contact style bombs are the weakest in term of firepower because of it’s convenient nature(this showed up as a info sheet before the manga chapter). The other thing is that it should darker than what the anime portrayed, the two of them were never really able to fully make out the other much less the bombs, which why the psycho’s accuracy is horrible.

With his mental process. He just kidnapped, knocked out and threw onto a tropical island with a fanny pack full of contraption he’s never seen(obviously it looked different from the game). Who in their right mind would quickly make the connection immediately that this is exactly like the game I played? A psycho is chasing him with bombs trying to kill him in real life. Under stress, his mind is not processing how the bomb works. Bill Buckner played baseball so well that he made it into the big league as an everyday starter, he’s field grounders countless times it should be like breathing, 1986 World series, right through his leg.

• Shin says:

Well of course there are walls that can be smashed easily. But for me, that was just too dramatic in that moment – A controller you angrily throw off in a not-so-concentrated way just should not stack to the wall like that, I just can’t cope with that! :D”

You’re right about that: At least darkness would’ve explained that the aim of the two was way off, causing the bombs to go off in places where the guys (luckily) were out of explosion-range. Well, it was dark later … and they were running through that jungle in panic and haste too … Of course this also leads to missing the target, but in the anime it was portrayed, like, the bomb fell to his foot, and he just flew some metres, without being harmed at all. That’s not aim-off, that’s aim-on. They just shouldn’t have placed the bombs/explosions so near at him – then I wouldn’t have any complains.

Like I said – *that* point I can understand, he’s just thrown out on this alien island, all by himself, someone’s chasing him down, etc. But he acutally tried these bombs out before, in a calm moment … he -saw- how they worked, and that time-counter. I don’t complain about him missing his opponent/forgetting to push the button the whole time – because under those circumenstances, that shouldn’t be surprising, also because he most likely never held a real bomb in his hands before – I was just baffled how he completely forgot about that counter at all and then exclaims so excitedly, that he has time bombs there. It should’ve made “click” in his head soon before when the bomb of his exploded on the beach. But, overthinking it: You’re completely right, in mental confusion, that’s an easy one to go wrong, especially with so many things going around at him at the moment, and he’s literally running away from his own death.
        Still. I think, when it comes to such a series, where unrealistic things and circumenstances are all around (nobody will come and kidnap the 10 best players of some shooter MMO to let them fight with each other with real bombs… …I hope?), such things that need a sense of realism shouldn’t be thought too much on as well. :| When I as watcher sit there and just think to myself “already figure out what you’re holding there, damnit. stop whining about getting killed, you’ll live on, that’s the first episode”… I dunno. It was so predictable. Anime like to exaggerate, but when it comes to such simple things, they drag it out… Still, I’m not talking back to your opinion at all! I think, I just don’t like how it was executed. … yeah, I think, that was the point I was trying to make!

17. Reverse says:

K that skateboard part pretty awesome, i’m impressed (even with the cgi background, plus the model itself most likely a rotoscoping ) the scene look particular familiar just cant point out what……

18. Arno says:

I agree with Psgels about K. First it’s great art, and one of the few animes that deserve viewing on a large HD screen. Music too.

Then it is true the characters are cliche, but masterfully so, they are made so over the top that it becomes poetry.

I will be looking forward for this.

19. Trass says:

Hmm… Once again we have different opinions, psgels.

Like so many others, I was also disappointed by K. I still liked Durarara and liked its coolness, but K just tried way too hard. I don’t like the annoying tint either, it’s disturbing to my eyes.

And the white haired MC. God, he was just so annoying to watch. I can barely keep up with the show once he appeared. That kind of character is what I hate the most in anime, a male who acts and sounds very odd and weird, to the point where you won’t actually find anyone in real life speaking and behaving like that, BUT no one seems to care about that fact and treated him as if he’s the most normal thing in the world (don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against feminine guys in general).

Putting that aside, the plot was very cliched, at least as far as I can see from the first episode. This ep really left lots of things to be desired.

Well, I’m still gonna check this out for one or two episodes before dropping it though, just in case I missed something.

20. HunterWulf says:

The criticizing “opinions” about K are so hilarious to read .. you guys need both your eyes and heads checked …. i’m not saying its perfect but it pretty much one of the best animes this new season and probably this whole year (at least gives the impression it will be from its first episode), not only are the visuals are insane and top rank and no anime TV series in a long time had such impressive movie-quality visuals (almost as good as Mardock Scramble .. only few notches below), but they setup a very interesting ground for what’s to come and introduced a lot of characters (almost all the cast maybe except the naked floating cat girl) and gave us a hint at how impressive the fight scenes in the upcoming episodes will look like.

I can understand if you didn’t like the genre or not interested in this type of show .. but disappointed !!!! seriously what kind of %^&*%$ unrealistic expectations did you have people.

Oh .. and i noticed some people are tint sensitive .. poor kiddos can’t handle color tints XD

• Trass says:

Not sure if we’re looking at the same thing, but the animation doesn’t look fluid to me. Well, the fight scenes were cool and amazing but it doesn’t look movie quality at all, at least to me.

I was disappointed because the show is not what I expected it to be, judging from psgels’ review. I didn’t have any interest in this show before psgels gave it such a high rating, but in the end, I didn’t like it as much as him. That’s why I was ‘disappointed’. Not sure how it matters to you if I and a few others are disappointed or not, but I explained my reasons anyway. Also, notice that I never said the show was ugly or bad. It’s all about ‘disappointed’ or ‘don’t like’. It’s heavily subjective.

For the tint, I think we all (including you) know what I meant when I said ‘the tint is disturbing to my eyes’. Look, if you didn’t like spicy foods, am I right to laugh at you and say “poor kiddos can’t handle spicy foods XD”. The fact that I’m not the only one complaining about the tint proves that there are a lot who don’t like their decision to air the show completely in that color. There are of course, just as many people who liked it the way it is. But at least I wasn’t belittling anyone with their taste.

• Jay says:

If you can legitimately hold an opinion of being pleased by the first ep, then other people can legitimately hold the opinion of being disappointed by it. Otherwise the only reaction people would be allowed would be “this was exactly what I expected it would be and I feel neutral about it”.

Enjoyment and interpretation of media is subjective. Sensible adults realise this and do not go on furious rants when they find people didn’t enjoy an episode as much as they did. Seriously, your comment above basically says that the only explanation you can comprehend without becoming enraged for someone not liking K’s first ep as much as you did is if they just don’t like the genre the show is in as a whole. Nope, subjectivity exists, and you should get used to it.

21. Stephen says:

So according to the people here, K has the worst visuals, worst script, and worse characters. Holy Cow.

22. Freedert says:

I doubt Btooom! ED was sung by Ishikawa Chiaki, the voice is more like May’n ‘s……..

23. meow says:

Uwaaah. Miyuki Sawashiro is actually voicing psycho kid. >.>; She’s been in like every anime lately and even a lot of the games I’ve been playing. Now every time I run into her voice again, I’m gonna think of this blood soaked psycho kid. I should have dropped this show when I had the chance. =.=;

I mean, decent warrants about a 5-6. That, in theory, should be an "Average" show.
It's a decent show. You're being overly critical.
In the Out of Competition slot (you think that I'm finished?), 2 films in particular that catch my interest are the Korean Lost in the Moonlight which looks like a fun and lightheart adventure, and the Norway-Poland co-production adult-oriented The Man who Knew 75 Languagues about the star-crossed love between the Queen of Romania and a titular man, I guess
Rounding up the Main Competition are Animal Crackers, a 3G American family film which I don't have good feeling about; Big Fish and Begonia - a Chinese indie film that divided the critics, but gathered skyhigh commercial success in its mainland China; and finally Zombillenium which sounds like an enjoyable European children film
From other countries, most notable films are the Loving Vincent - the first feature length hand painting; the Chinese black comedy Have a Nice Day that premiered in Berlin earlier this year; Ethel and Ernest which already gained a strong reviews from the UK; Tehran Taboo- a German production about the lives of 3 women in Iranian community, which sound exactly like my kinda of film.
Alright, I'm here to bring you news about the selection of this coming Annecy AKA one of the best animation festival out there. 3 of anime features: A Slient Voice, In the Corner of the World and Masaaki Yuasa's Lu over the Wall will compete for the main competition.
I'm a fan of thought-provoking anime (see Lain, Boogiepop Phantom) but I need to care about the story and characters first before I make an effort to dig deeper to the theme. Sagrada Reset failed on that fronts.
It's not really about being smart/dumb here. As a creator, they already have an advantage to know how the story and plot will play out. I don't mind this advantage because otherwise the plot will become a hot mess. But don't use that advantage as a way to widen the gap between them and the audience.
Ugh...Ray Gigant was pretty much mediocre up until this point but now it;s utterly asinine. Whoever decided on this endgame needs to be fired. When you are ready to end a game, no player want a ten floor dungion with a boss on each floor coupled with a goddamn boss rush halfway. Just...fuck.
It must be worse than oremo.
I saw some pages of the eromanga sensei manga and my reaction was that I was sad that it actually existed and stated "why would you even" after looking at it.
As an anime example, sekaisuru kado has lots of dialogue but it seems like it could actually be engaging.
So basically no I don't think we're dumb for not liking sagrada reset, given that myself and Mario are capable of watching genuinely smart wordy things and getting them.
@Mario: I can imagine watching Sagrada reset and thinking I'd rather be watching a Bergman film instead , something also with lots of dialogue and themes but actually engaging/clever and NOT pretentious or obnoxious about it.
is it possible that you are all just dumb?
@Mario: I like how you described it as giving a middle finger to the viewers. It's so true. Like, it tries to be intelligent and make the viewer feel stupid, but it just comes off as obnoxious/pretentious.
CGI remains the worst part of it, but we are getting more and more 2D art which I actually enjoy the style of
Its an improvement. The art is better, and maybe its because I prefer this arc, but the pacing is better as well. I gave last season a 3, but this one is more deserving of a 4 and if they can nail certain scenes coming up I may bump it to a 5.
@Lenlo: How's Berserk doing so far? Haven't picked up last week and this week's episodes.
Ground*. I hate it when I fat finger something.
Thats always the worst, when a story starts off promising and then someone runs it into the grouhnd
@Mario, so it's still at it. To me it's like someone was given an interesting story and made it his mission to ruin it as much as possible.
@Aidan: it's still the same crap. I have a feeling that Sagrada Reset gives a middle finger to us viewers. The plot with development and characters that we have no way to figure out ourselves. The characters who change motive and even personality after each timeline. The main lead girl who act like a robot. I gave this show too many chance so I won't bother to spend more time watching it.
Eromanga sensei
@Mario, Oh ho, what was the dealbreaker? Just that it didn't change or did something really stupid happen?
Sagrada Reset (long sigh) (scratching my head) (eyes rolling). Dropped
Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.

Tsuki ga Kirei – 04 [Passing Shower]

I’m totally impressed with Tsuki ga Kirei thus far. This show has its own voice and after this episode I’m confident that we will have the constant quality in display for the rest of its run. Nothing can beat consistency, I assure you. This week, the kids go to another city for a school trip […]

Sakura Quest – 04 [The Lone Alchemist]

Hmm, I don’t really like the direction Sakura Quest is going for. To be more precise, this episode brings up some questionable variables that I don’t think blended well with the show. The actual story for this week though, is still enjoyable and grounded enough to overcome those concerns. At least for now. This week the […]

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100