Posted by psgels on 14 October 2012 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

During the Hunter Exam arc, I really kept wondering: how on earth would they be able to do this part well!? Well, this is how. They actually managed to make this into a stunning episode in their own style. They took the lack of subtlety in the Hunter Exam Arc, and completely turned it around! That was awesome!

I remember saying that this version of Hunter X Hunter had a few voice actors who can only do one voice and try too hard with that. Boss was one of them. In this episode however, he wasn’t trying too hard. The part in which he kidnapped Neon was amazingly well delivered. The use of music also was just perfect. This is also the first episode in which I felt that knowing what will happen later on actually added to it: I know what’s coming up, and with that prediction that Neon made made even more impact than what it did when I saw it the first time, and had no clue on its meaning.

The music also was great: whereas it was badly used in the Hunter Exam arc, it worked so wonderfully in this episode. I also really like that they simply bypassed the ED and continued with the soundtrack as if it was nothing: they realized that that ED soundtrack just would not fit in at all, and they were actually allowed to just skip it. That is some great news.

Also, this is a major Level E spoiler, but I have to share this. While I was looking up Neon’s name on Myanimelist, something caught my attention. My mind is currently blown, and to think that I missed it!
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. Chiarissimo says:

“They took the lack of subtlety in the Hunter Exam Arc, and completely turned it around!”

I really don’t understand most of what you ever write, psgels, and really this takes the cake.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

He’s basically saying this:

In the Hunter Exam art everything was forced and direct, nothing was subtle.
      But here we have a very relaxed story delivery, and yet the result is rather powerful

I think.

• Chiarissimo says:

What the hell does “subtle” mean? How the hell was the mass murders the Phantom Troup commited “subtle”? Why should something be “subtle” anyway?

I’m not talking about the way he speaks, I’m talking about the points he makes : I literally don’t understand nearly the three quarters of whatever he’s ever trying to say.

• I play croquet on the cricket field! says:

Subtlety of an effect by my writer’s dictionary is “delicate complexity” or “understated effect.” Looking at psgels’s episode reviews from the earlier portion of the series, there were complaints levelled at inelegant music placement–the recap episode, as the most stark example–and acting . Those were the bits deemed too blunt or lacking finesse; there wasn’t too much at an aural level that had much “delicate complexity” or “understated effect” to it, arguably–though mileage varies, and yours might, too! By psgels’s metric, though–judging by the early comparisons–there wasn’t much in the way of subtlety, and we have to work with that metric.

As for why subtlety is important, I think we tend to look for subtlety in those shows that don’t make a point of being impressive for lack of it. Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure doesn’t dwell on having much subtlety for the present–but it gets away with it because it makes a point of being blasé with its on-screen sound effects and crazy colour tones and effects. HxH makes a point of being very subtle in its story and intrigue–the poems; the converging story-lines; the performances by the different Troupe members–so it’s nice to that mirrored here in the acting and music placement, which psgels complemented. He did not try to point to the slaughter as the area of subtlety–and it’s not for us to presume that when it’s absent from his analysis. psgels made a point of making that first line about subtlety his introduction; he uses the next paragraphs to elucidate where that increase in subtlety stems from, and what it does for his enjoyment of the show. In a subjective account of his appreciation of the show, those elements are important. In teaching, that sort of format is what we try to inculcate.

• Asuron says:

Hunter X Hunter is a understated series. Early on the new anime was far too flashy and bombastic for scenes that really required quiet moments or music to be really understated in order to be effective.

It has improved with this very much lately and that’s what he’s talking about. Think of early Hunter X Hunter like a Michael Bay movie, its flashy and loud but there’s no substance because everything is trying to be “ACTION, AWESOME, EXPLOSIONS” when you don’t really need to do that and often it is detrimental to what your creating.

• Pikachu says:

1999: “ZOMG hanzo is running and speaking at the same time…what stamina! Amazing!”

2011: A person sees hanzo having no trouble with the marathon, and is talking casually, and says: Are you kidding me?

I know this is a small example but I don’t think the 2011 is any less subtle in the overall 2011 version.

Many moments in the new version of the exam are better than their 99 counterparts

2. Mary says:

Loved this episode, the best one so far imo! ♥♥♥

3. Hogart says:

I wasn’t terribly impressed, but I’m sure I just missed something if everyone else is so gung-ho about it. They made Neon seem like a dumb girl who just got into a random stranger’s car, to get to an auction she knows is lift-threatening. The way she foiled her bodyguards made THEM seem even stupider.

And since I know next to nothing about Chrollo, his angst and maestro act felt a bit tacky to me. The way he kept repeating Neon’s prophecy didn’t help, especially since he’s going to “lose another 5 arms”. Not too bright to mourn the loss of one friend by sending the rest of them off to potentially die.

Speaking of that, the Phantom Troupe are just having a giant hissy fit about the death of their friend, aren’t they? I mean, they let him walk off on his own, and now they’re doing the same thing that got him killed in the first place – being brash and over-confident idiots. Hopefully it makes more sense in the future, and isn’t just written off.

But I will admit that this was still far better than the Hunter Exam arc, for what that’s worth.

• kamen rider says:

They’re fighting a bunch of Mafia guys. And they’re some of the strongest nen users in the whole series. Who’s killing them? It’s not like they were all split up, they were all paired up.

• Hogart says:

Yes, because the first time they banded together to attack the Mafia ended so well for them. Apparently they think their vengeance is stronger than the guy who killed their “invincible” friend. It’s exactly the same kind of “we’re the best” thinking that got them in this mess in the first place. They’re just not quite the clever villains I was led to believe they were.

• Huzzah! says:

I believe Chrollo’s prophecy intimates the possibility for death to the rest of the Troupe in the second verse, which suggests that carrying out the requiem for Uvogin won’t actually result in death, because that scenario is reserved to the events of the second verse. If Chrollo’s first verse were to have indicated that carrying out the requiem would have caused death as a corollary, it would have been a negative move. He suggested the operation because his poem assures him that it’s better to lay low where the events of the second verse come into play.

• Huzzah! says:

Basically, the first verse–which relates to the day/week of the requiem–doesn’t discuss death, so Chrollo could carry out the requiem in confidence.

• Hogart says:

Oh, was it actually established that Noel was that precise with the timing of the verses? Because otherwise a “verse” doesn’t necessarily mean what HE thinks it does. That might be what I was missing, thanks.

• Glossa Bingo says:

Neon is sort of dumb. Or rather, she’s been so sheltered that she lacks both common sense and empathy. The girl collects human flesh as a hobby, feels no sorrow after learning that her retainer has been murdered, and cares solely about herself. She can’t see past her own nose–of course she’d be willing to trust a handsome man who not only fulfills her neediness, but is seemingly more reliable than the father who uses her, gives her no attention, and always breaks his promises.

As for Chrollo and the Phantom Troupe’s sorrow…it doesn’t matter that they deal in taking life away. He is their friend. “Right” and “Wrong” aren’t a part of the equation. This is their tribute and their funeral. Once you learn more about the Meteor City ideology, perhaps you’ll understand.

• Hogart says:

I understand that Neon’s supposed to be dumb. But if everyone else knows that, and her motivations, AND they were still outsmarted by her Looney Tunes escape plot, then what does that make them? It just wasn’t convincing after all that “these guys are competent” setup, and didn’t seem to be played for comedic effect.

And yes, I’m looking forward to understanding why Chrollo’s actions make sense (or don’t). I know he’s a killer, and don’t think about morality here – just that he seems to care about one of his friends enough to send the others off to avenge him, knowing full well that he’s started a blood grudge with people who’ll hire killers who have killed another of their members in the past.

Though Huzzah! gave me a clue above that maybe I was wrong in my interpretation of Neon’s prophecies, his motivations still don’t quite add up to me. Hopefully they will by the end.

• Asuron says:

Actually it did work out well for them. The Mafia isn’t really a threat to them
          They determined early on that because of the way Kurapica operated in taking down Uvogin that he was an outside agent of the Mafia and that it was a personal grudge against them.

Just remember that Neons ability gives a prophecy for the month, with the first week usually being something that has already occurred, Chrollo understanding this took the action he did, because he knows it will succeed

• Hogart says:

Hmm. Alright, thanks. That’s all pretty flimsy and conveniently written, but at least it makes more sense now. I guess I’ll just have to accept it. I see fail to see why Chrollo would think the mafia would be no threat, though. I mean, didn’t they hire a hitman to kill Hisoka’s predecessor? I guess I misunderstood that, or that he’s just trying to draw both people out for revenge or something.

• hxhfan says:

If 2011 is not satisfying you, watch the 99 series instead.

• Hogart says:

While I do plan on trying the ’99 version some day, actually this version has been satisfying me lately. That’s why I’m less impressed with this ep than others. Really I’m just nitpicking more than anything. Not thinking it’s a five-star episode doesn’t make it terrible. Just a step down from what came before in my eyes.

• Pikachu says:

You know a person who’s living in the mafia community wouldn’t really care about anything that’s life-threatening, otherwise they’d just never leave the house.
      She’s not “dumb” but she’s a sucker for auctions and antiques. She was desperate to get there, that’s why she had to get rid of her bodyguards. A person can be dumb at something and smart at another at the same time you know. Gon was smart enough to tail Hisoka but dumb enough to be tailed by Gereta. She was basically running from a bad thing (for her) to another.

The prophecy helps avoid things, so by doings so, he’s trying to avoid the limb thingy, and no they didn’t go alone. And “last time they banded together it didn’t work”, actually it did. The mafia were not a threat at all, even with their strongest. It’s not their fault Uvo decided to go alone, and then a sudden chain comes out of nowhere for them. They were quick enough to react properly and get him back but even they aren’t omnipotent. They’re not doing it for vengeance actually. Just “chrollo’s orders”. And he was doing it, again, to change the prophecy’s predictions, if not avoid them. It’s also in done in memory of Uvo. Vengeance had little part in it if any.

So are you suggesting he should be scared and avoid messing up with people because they might kill his friends…isn’t that…being a good guy?
      They are a band of killers, they know they might die, they know they’re in danger, of course they have some people who might come after them, but that doesn’t mean they should go “well, tough shit!” when some of them die, it’s okay to feel sorry for one of theirs.
      (btw it wasn’t the mafia who hired silva to kill #8).
      And also when things get rough, and there’s a high possibility that someone might die, Chrollo would not have him going on his own, that’s why he had them pair up (and other stuff in future) after Uvo died.

Moreover, they haven’t been together for 3 years, everyone was on his own, they’re big boys. Chrollo isn’t their 24/7 baby sitter.

• Hogart says:

No, she’s dumb. Either intellectually challenged, or has a death wish. She sees new body guards around her, fewer of the old ones, knows that the first auction ended badly, and the hints just pile on. But it’s not her dumbness that gets to me. It’s that she’s dumb AND escaped past the bodyguards the way she did. Too silly to accept such a looney-tunes subplot, even after Gon and Killua’s escape.

And as for Chrollo, I just don’t understand his motivations. Killers aren’t stupid, and just feeling bad for the loss of your comrade doesn’t make you a good person. If he’s that upset that Uvo died, he’s not making a good case of it (the Troupe seemed plenty upset about Uvo’s death to me, actually).

But even discounting that, now that they have the goods to be auctioned, the only reason to return is for vengeance. He knows that they’ve been exposed, are expected, and that the mafia is wholly capable of sending killers like Silva after them (good to know they didn’t hire him the first time, though, thanks).

It just doesn’t add up to me that before knowing the prophecy, he would go for vengeance. They already got their vengeance after killing the mafia’s shadows and stealing the goods. No clue what else there is to say, really.

• lolcat says:

Between, kuroro and kurapica, its personal, the grudge is caused by uvo’s death. The mafia bosses on the other hand had initiated war by releasing photos of troupe members and putting bounties over their heads. All of this simply cannot be settled with the death of the shadow beasts who are just employees of the mafia dons.

As for kuroro’s motivations, he has two; the troupe and to steal. He came back to steal Neon and clean up the remaining stings with the mafia; he aims to win this war and leave with the spoils.

P>S for psgel, pay attention to what Neon said about why she doesn’t want to hear her own prophecy. This is connected to something very very interesting. :D

4. TheUltimateReaper says:

And this concludes why I’m so glad I actually went through with this series. Ah… this episode was definitely delicious. I find it surprising too, I would have never expected this at first.

5. Zaru says:

Anyone know what the OST is for the end of the episode? Is it a HxH original, or a Mozart piece? I know they did Lacrimosa by Mozart as well.

Then there's the franchise appeal. Which inherently gains something because of persistence, awareness and name. It is hard when great visual effort is mainly put in things that are guaranteed to be a hit, because original stuff tend to make mistakes to find their own identity. Which in itself makes them very risky affairs.
It's also a heavy flaw of the internet, having mainly binary opinions of good or bad. Which makes it hard to tell if you'll like something in the 7s like Nier or Alien 3 (might not be a 7 but opinions make it sound like it is). Divisive products that may or not may suit one's tastes.
Personally I think the issue has become what suits your tastes, what are you willing to give a chance and what hits beyond the medium it is presented.
@AidanAK47 "Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess". - I mean, movies, games, and other entertainment have the same issue, since everyone has a big slice of the pie, yet there are like a million things competing for one's attention.
On that note, apart from the 3 shows I'n currently covering (Eccentric Family, Tsuki ga Kirei and ID-0), I will give a full review on Grimoire of Zero, a show that I feel rather difficult to pinpoint exactly on its quality.
Can't believe we approaching the final week of this current season. Gonna be a busy week of blogging with the usual weekly posts plus the final impressions.
@Anon1206174: I agree with you on both counts. And Sakura Quest has never been bad, but it could have been deeper and less messy. If you plan to watch ID-0 (I suggest you do), don't get your expectation too high because it works much better when you expect nothing of it. Like each episode I was genuinely surprised how good ID-0 actually is.
I remember one of Aidan's visual novel posts where he said theres potentially hundreds of VNs un-translated and LNs too, makes me wonder just how much un-translated manga we are missing out on.
Anonymous1206174
The ID-o posts sound pretty interesting, I am really thinking of dropping Sakura and watching this instead. Really loved the beginnign of Sakura and that abandoned town atmosphere it had, but I am not feeling it anymore. The recent episode about Shiori was great again though..
*looking
Then again he's an extremely forgetable person.
Oh Godammit, looing back over my comments I meant to say Souta not Setsuna, I suck at remembering non-English names.
Anonymous1205999
Meh - I really like this season but I already have my first cases of 'good-show-disappointing-ending/second half'
Anonymous1206022
KT Here:RE:Creators , we need to know more about the rules for Altair to see if that works. It might, and it might not. With what they know they have a good plan. But I was thinking why not just do a Super Smash Bros type game with the characters? I am sure that would generate enough stuff in order to lock her.
On Re:Creators, I find a better solution instead of going all cross-media like the show suggests. Someone could just make some fan-fiction on Altair that purposely show her weakness (like get busted when expose to the sun, or the magic word that render her skills useless). Less efforts, more effective
Man, I agree wholeheartedly with what KT said here: mass media actually sells, so it keeps the industry to a more stable position; then the art-house/more adult oriented anime can have some freedom to do what they like.
I think its more that I have to read it all at the same time as expecting action to come , it might change my mind if I watched it in English.
Anonymous1205580
KT here: I accept the mass media because it raises the funds for the less mainstream stuff I like. That is how I make my peace.

On RE:Creators. I get what you guys say. But for some reason I do not find the exposition heavy in this series. Every person has his own limit I guess
Alonaria
@Kaiser: Yep, that sounds about right, lol. I take my Sheldon in concentrated doses. I might give the Young Sheldon spin off an episode or two because it's highly exaggerated but still somewhat relatable to me.
I feel big bang theory is a show for people who know nothing about nerds/nerd culture to find funny.
And then theres this thing about Sheldon being some kind of autism spectrum thing , which is kind of annoying to hear when I am on the spectrum myself and never really found the character all that amusing.
Probably not the strongest reason to go off a show but, it was people around me going on and on about big bang theory that eventually put me off it.
lol is it any surprise Miura and the hunter x hunter guy take so many breaks =P
Alonaria
*Sheldon
Alonaria
I pick and choose Big Bang episodes that I enjoy. Shelden in the ball pit never ceases to amuse me. Still, it's definitely overrated haha.
IT Crowd > Modern Big Bang. Early Big Bang was good.

And yes, the work conditions in the Manga Industry are terrible. Oda, One Piece Mangaka, works stupid hours. He requests his assistances be "Willing to die for One Piece" because of the amount of work.
And hell yeah"! someone else thats hates on big bang theory.
IT crowd > big bang.
*more safer
And yet now here I am at same time, I think it might be kind of a shame that I can't see the value and fun anymore in some less safer offerings.
I thinking I might go insane if I looked up comments defending the visuals in occultic; nine.
Hate to say it but sometimes opinions, mainstream ones are actually wrong. Its a fact that superhero films have bad action scenes and cinematography and Hardboiled, a chinese action film is better filmed in terms of choreography.
As dickish as this is to say, I really do recoil when ssomeone says something like the Notebook or fifty shades is the best film of all time/their favourite.
See theres also factoring in the people whos favourite film or anime of all is the most recent they finished.
I remember mentioning recently that I was re-watching the twilight zone, the response I got was "I thought that you were talking about twilight"
See thats whats so great about being able to talk about more niche stuff online, theres an easier to find common ground.
In general when it comes to mass popular opinion it's the tried and true safe stuff that ends up selling. The highest selling Mario games are the New Super Mario ones. The same generic Light novel and harems keep selling. There are plenty of examples but majority opinion tends to gravitate to the safe and familiar.
See, most (offline) people (and or teenagers)who aren't really all that interested in film or don't look into it that much will turn out for things like fifty shades, transformers or twilight, thats why those are popular. Most people aren't going to watch something made more than a few years ago or subtitled.
Oh...lol fuck thats a blunder...yes I meant Re:creators.
But by all means, people are fully entitled to like what they like. But there is a reason why so much rubbish gets popular.
@Kaiser, Re:Creators.
As someone who would actually consider themselves creative and interested in things being imaginative I really do hate the whole anti-creativity /anti-art, anti-intelligence movement and way of thinking that allows un-deservedly popular things like what Aidan mentioned to fester.
Yes Re:zero's poor pacing and leaden dialogue is becoming too dominant and there should be more action, its good Setsuna opened up, but I still don't particularly like him.
I imagine the magazines/editors probably consider themselves the writers sometimes.
Pretty sure I only read nisekoi because I was keeping up with conversations about it, then dropped it before the Chitoge doublie showed up, just stopped reading.
On the matter of Re:Creators, I feel the same as the Anon said. I find the exposition to just drone on far too much.
On the matter of the manga industry being shit...it is. Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess. Work conditions are utterly abhorrent and it's even worse that most series live or die based on a magazine popularity poll.
Because just because something is popular, does not mean it is quality. Example: Transformers, Twilight, Fifty shades, Sword Art Online, Big Bang theory
@Anon, Still not getting your logic here. I mean if I have a problem with it after trying it then why am I not allowed to complain about it? Anyway it is only popular for the pandering. Even those who like Nisekoi admit that it's a mediocre harem and they mainly enjoy the waifu wars on the internet.
and now we will resort to illegal streaming sites for this one. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem", this f*cking true
Huh? Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside and Outside Japan. Now that just unbearable
Don't know about this new Re:Creators episode since I haven't watched it, but I don't really mind Meteora. Her dialogues scream "exposition" but she still fits well to the story. The fights are good, I agree, but why didn't they go all the way with the world's collapse last episode?
Anonymous1202407
Whether Nisekoi is pandering or not, it is not enough proof for you to suggest that manga industry is shit. If u want good mainstream then its not that hard to find. Also for every success like Nisekoi which u claim to be pandering, there are dozen like it that failed to be popular. Why? Because it clearly is popular for a reason other than just simple pandering.
Ha, Ping Pong. I need that kind of show again in my life.
Also, Ping Pong is amazing.
Theres a difference between pandering to a large audience, and an anime/manga with a quality story that everyone ends up liking. Ive always found moe shows and things like Nisekoi to be the former.
Anonymous1202407
If you have a problem with it after trying it just dont read it. Its that simple. Also what a surprise that a show like nisekoi that appeals to a large demographic is popular. U want the mangaka to apologize it's not some art house story like Ping Pong?
Meteora is pretty hit or miss with her dialogue imo. Sometimes its great, othertimes its not. I can say though I enjoy most of the fights.
Anonymous1202113
I really want to like Re:Creators. To be honest though, I'm getting tired of the dialogue. It has its high points, but it sometimes just seems to drone on and on, especially with all of Meteora's "hypotheses."
KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 12 [The Red String of Fate]

Oh god, this climax. Other shows, take note. This is how you SHOUD NOT do on your final battle. How this show can jump from Yasaburou, Yaichirou fighting the Fellow Friday for their lives last week, to the conflict of Soun and Tenyama (that they eventually ended up in Hell again), to end with Benten […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 11 [An Encouragement of Learning]

Tsuki ga Kirei again manages something I thought was difficult to achieve: it surpasses itself once more time. I was afraid that after the Kawagoe festival, there isn’t much left drama for the lovebirds now that Takumi and Chinatsu are all out of the picture; turn out that not only this episode enhances their relationship […]

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100