Posted by psgels on 14 October 2012 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

During the Hunter Exam arc, I really kept wondering: how on earth would they be able to do this part well!? Well, this is how. They actually managed to make this into a stunning episode in their own style. They took the lack of subtlety in the Hunter Exam Arc, and completely turned it around! That was awesome!

I remember saying that this version of Hunter X Hunter had a few voice actors who can only do one voice and try too hard with that. Boss was one of them. In this episode however, he wasn’t trying too hard. The part in which he kidnapped Neon was amazingly well delivered. The use of music also was just perfect. This is also the first episode in which I felt that knowing what will happen later on actually added to it: I know what’s coming up, and with that prediction that Neon made made even more impact than what it did when I saw it the first time, and had no clue on its meaning.

The music also was great: whereas it was badly used in the Hunter Exam arc, it worked so wonderfully in this episode. I also really like that they simply bypassed the ED and continued with the soundtrack as if it was nothing: they realized that that ED soundtrack just would not fit in at all, and they were actually allowed to just skip it. That is some great news.

Also, this is a major Level E spoiler, but I have to share this. While I was looking up Neon’s name on Myanimelist, something caught my attention. My mind is currently blown, and to think that I missed it!
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. Chiarissimo says:

“They took the lack of subtlety in the Hunter Exam Arc, and completely turned it around!”

I really don’t understand most of what you ever write, psgels, and really this takes the cake.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

He’s basically saying this:

In the Hunter Exam art everything was forced and direct, nothing was subtle.
      But here we have a very relaxed story delivery, and yet the result is rather powerful

I think.

• Chiarissimo says:

What the hell does “subtle” mean? How the hell was the mass murders the Phantom Troup commited “subtle”? Why should something be “subtle” anyway?

I’m not talking about the way he speaks, I’m talking about the points he makes : I literally don’t understand nearly the three quarters of whatever he’s ever trying to say.

• I play croquet on the cricket field! says:

Subtlety of an effect by my writer’s dictionary is “delicate complexity” or “understated effect.” Looking at psgels’s episode reviews from the earlier portion of the series, there were complaints levelled at inelegant music placement–the recap episode, as the most stark example–and acting . Those were the bits deemed too blunt or lacking finesse; there wasn’t too much at an aural level that had much “delicate complexity” or “understated effect” to it, arguably–though mileage varies, and yours might, too! By psgels’s metric, though–judging by the early comparisons–there wasn’t much in the way of subtlety, and we have to work with that metric.

As for why subtlety is important, I think we tend to look for subtlety in those shows that don’t make a point of being impressive for lack of it. Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure doesn’t dwell on having much subtlety for the present–but it gets away with it because it makes a point of being blasé with its on-screen sound effects and crazy colour tones and effects. HxH makes a point of being very subtle in its story and intrigue–the poems; the converging story-lines; the performances by the different Troupe members–so it’s nice to that mirrored here in the acting and music placement, which psgels complemented. He did not try to point to the slaughter as the area of subtlety–and it’s not for us to presume that when it’s absent from his analysis. psgels made a point of making that first line about subtlety his introduction; he uses the next paragraphs to elucidate where that increase in subtlety stems from, and what it does for his enjoyment of the show. In a subjective account of his appreciation of the show, those elements are important. In teaching, that sort of format is what we try to inculcate.

• Asuron says:

Hunter X Hunter is a understated series. Early on the new anime was far too flashy and bombastic for scenes that really required quiet moments or music to be really understated in order to be effective.

It has improved with this very much lately and that’s what he’s talking about. Think of early Hunter X Hunter like a Michael Bay movie, its flashy and loud but there’s no substance because everything is trying to be “ACTION, AWESOME, EXPLOSIONS” when you don’t really need to do that and often it is detrimental to what your creating.

• Pikachu says:

1999: “ZOMG hanzo is running and speaking at the same time…what stamina! Amazing!”

2011: A person sees hanzo having no trouble with the marathon, and is talking casually, and says: Are you kidding me?

I know this is a small example but I don’t think the 2011 is any less subtle in the overall 2011 version.

Many moments in the new version of the exam are better than their 99 counterparts

2. Mary says:

Loved this episode, the best one so far imo! ♥♥♥

3. Hogart says:

I wasn’t terribly impressed, but I’m sure I just missed something if everyone else is so gung-ho about it. They made Neon seem like a dumb girl who just got into a random stranger’s car, to get to an auction she knows is lift-threatening. The way she foiled her bodyguards made THEM seem even stupider.

And since I know next to nothing about Chrollo, his angst and maestro act felt a bit tacky to me. The way he kept repeating Neon’s prophecy didn’t help, especially since he’s going to “lose another 5 arms”. Not too bright to mourn the loss of one friend by sending the rest of them off to potentially die.

Speaking of that, the Phantom Troupe are just having a giant hissy fit about the death of their friend, aren’t they? I mean, they let him walk off on his own, and now they’re doing the same thing that got him killed in the first place – being brash and over-confident idiots. Hopefully it makes more sense in the future, and isn’t just written off.

But I will admit that this was still far better than the Hunter Exam arc, for what that’s worth.

• kamen rider says:

They’re fighting a bunch of Mafia guys. And they’re some of the strongest nen users in the whole series. Who’s killing them? It’s not like they were all split up, they were all paired up.

• Hogart says:

Yes, because the first time they banded together to attack the Mafia ended so well for them. Apparently they think their vengeance is stronger than the guy who killed their “invincible” friend. It’s exactly the same kind of “we’re the best” thinking that got them in this mess in the first place. They’re just not quite the clever villains I was led to believe they were.

• Huzzah! says:

I believe Chrollo’s prophecy intimates the possibility for death to the rest of the Troupe in the second verse, which suggests that carrying out the requiem for Uvogin won’t actually result in death, because that scenario is reserved to the events of the second verse. If Chrollo’s first verse were to have indicated that carrying out the requiem would have caused death as a corollary, it would have been a negative move. He suggested the operation because his poem assures him that it’s better to lay low where the events of the second verse come into play.

• Huzzah! says:

Basically, the first verse–which relates to the day/week of the requiem–doesn’t discuss death, so Chrollo could carry out the requiem in confidence.

• Hogart says:

Oh, was it actually established that Noel was that precise with the timing of the verses? Because otherwise a “verse” doesn’t necessarily mean what HE thinks it does. That might be what I was missing, thanks.

• Glossa Bingo says:

Neon is sort of dumb. Or rather, she’s been so sheltered that she lacks both common sense and empathy. The girl collects human flesh as a hobby, feels no sorrow after learning that her retainer has been murdered, and cares solely about herself. She can’t see past her own nose–of course she’d be willing to trust a handsome man who not only fulfills her neediness, but is seemingly more reliable than the father who uses her, gives her no attention, and always breaks his promises.

As for Chrollo and the Phantom Troupe’s sorrow…it doesn’t matter that they deal in taking life away. He is their friend. “Right” and “Wrong” aren’t a part of the equation. This is their tribute and their funeral. Once you learn more about the Meteor City ideology, perhaps you’ll understand.

• Hogart says:

I understand that Neon’s supposed to be dumb. But if everyone else knows that, and her motivations, AND they were still outsmarted by her Looney Tunes escape plot, then what does that make them? It just wasn’t convincing after all that “these guys are competent” setup, and didn’t seem to be played for comedic effect.

And yes, I’m looking forward to understanding why Chrollo’s actions make sense (or don’t). I know he’s a killer, and don’t think about morality here – just that he seems to care about one of his friends enough to send the others off to avenge him, knowing full well that he’s started a blood grudge with people who’ll hire killers who have killed another of their members in the past.

Though Huzzah! gave me a clue above that maybe I was wrong in my interpretation of Neon’s prophecies, his motivations still don’t quite add up to me. Hopefully they will by the end.

• Asuron says:

Actually it did work out well for them. The Mafia isn’t really a threat to them
          They determined early on that because of the way Kurapica operated in taking down Uvogin that he was an outside agent of the Mafia and that it was a personal grudge against them.

Just remember that Neons ability gives a prophecy for the month, with the first week usually being something that has already occurred, Chrollo understanding this took the action he did, because he knows it will succeed

• Hogart says:

Hmm. Alright, thanks. That’s all pretty flimsy and conveniently written, but at least it makes more sense now. I guess I’ll just have to accept it. I see fail to see why Chrollo would think the mafia would be no threat, though. I mean, didn’t they hire a hitman to kill Hisoka’s predecessor? I guess I misunderstood that, or that he’s just trying to draw both people out for revenge or something.

• hxhfan says:

If 2011 is not satisfying you, watch the 99 series instead.

• Hogart says:

While I do plan on trying the ’99 version some day, actually this version has been satisfying me lately. That’s why I’m less impressed with this ep than others. Really I’m just nitpicking more than anything. Not thinking it’s a five-star episode doesn’t make it terrible. Just a step down from what came before in my eyes.

• Pikachu says:

You know a person who’s living in the mafia community wouldn’t really care about anything that’s life-threatening, otherwise they’d just never leave the house.
      She’s not “dumb” but she’s a sucker for auctions and antiques. She was desperate to get there, that’s why she had to get rid of her bodyguards. A person can be dumb at something and smart at another at the same time you know. Gon was smart enough to tail Hisoka but dumb enough to be tailed by Gereta. She was basically running from a bad thing (for her) to another.

The prophecy helps avoid things, so by doings so, he’s trying to avoid the limb thingy, and no they didn’t go alone. And “last time they banded together it didn’t work”, actually it did. The mafia were not a threat at all, even with their strongest. It’s not their fault Uvo decided to go alone, and then a sudden chain comes out of nowhere for them. They were quick enough to react properly and get him back but even they aren’t omnipotent. They’re not doing it for vengeance actually. Just “chrollo’s orders”. And he was doing it, again, to change the prophecy’s predictions, if not avoid them. It’s also in done in memory of Uvo. Vengeance had little part in it if any.

So are you suggesting he should be scared and avoid messing up with people because they might kill his friends…isn’t that…being a good guy?
      They are a band of killers, they know they might die, they know they’re in danger, of course they have some people who might come after them, but that doesn’t mean they should go “well, tough shit!” when some of them die, it’s okay to feel sorry for one of theirs.
      (btw it wasn’t the mafia who hired silva to kill #8).
      And also when things get rough, and there’s a high possibility that someone might die, Chrollo would not have him going on his own, that’s why he had them pair up (and other stuff in future) after Uvo died.

Moreover, they haven’t been together for 3 years, everyone was on his own, they’re big boys. Chrollo isn’t their 24/7 baby sitter.

• Hogart says:

No, she’s dumb. Either intellectually challenged, or has a death wish. She sees new body guards around her, fewer of the old ones, knows that the first auction ended badly, and the hints just pile on. But it’s not her dumbness that gets to me. It’s that she’s dumb AND escaped past the bodyguards the way she did. Too silly to accept such a looney-tunes subplot, even after Gon and Killua’s escape.

And as for Chrollo, I just don’t understand his motivations. Killers aren’t stupid, and just feeling bad for the loss of your comrade doesn’t make you a good person. If he’s that upset that Uvo died, he’s not making a good case of it (the Troupe seemed plenty upset about Uvo’s death to me, actually).

But even discounting that, now that they have the goods to be auctioned, the only reason to return is for vengeance. He knows that they’ve been exposed, are expected, and that the mafia is wholly capable of sending killers like Silva after them (good to know they didn’t hire him the first time, though, thanks).

It just doesn’t add up to me that before knowing the prophecy, he would go for vengeance. They already got their vengeance after killing the mafia’s shadows and stealing the goods. No clue what else there is to say, really.

• lolcat says:

Between, kuroro and kurapica, its personal, the grudge is caused by uvo’s death. The mafia bosses on the other hand had initiated war by releasing photos of troupe members and putting bounties over their heads. All of this simply cannot be settled with the death of the shadow beasts who are just employees of the mafia dons.

As for kuroro’s motivations, he has two; the troupe and to steal. He came back to steal Neon and clean up the remaining stings with the mafia; he aims to win this war and leave with the spoils.

P>S for psgel, pay attention to what Neon said about why she doesn’t want to hear her own prophecy. This is connected to something very very interesting. :D

4. TheUltimateReaper says:

And this concludes why I’m so glad I actually went through with this series. Ah… this episode was definitely delicious. I find it surprising too, I would have never expected this at first.

5. Zaru says:

Anyone know what the OST is for the end of the episode? Is it a HxH original, or a Mozart piece? I know they did Lacrimosa by Mozart as well.

I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100