Posted by psgels on 14 October 2012 with categories: Sword Art Online

What the hell kind of episode was that?! No. Just, no. I’m beginning to fear that this series is heading in a very unpleasant direction here…

First of all: why the sister? Yeah, I know that she’s not a sister and actually a cousin and all, but that makes it even worse: it’s the same kind of twist you see pulled in all of those other bloody incest shows in order to pretend that it’s supposedly “okay”. I mean dear god: anime creators: most siblings out there can get along with each other just fine without any romance, you know? Why does every show with a brother and sister have to have romance between them!?

Second of all, you actually did it. I so kept hoping for the creators not to do it after all that sappy build-up but instead of killing off Asuna, she was just put on a bus. Completely changed from a strong female character to a plot device to get Kirito back playing the game, and she seems to be reduced to a trophy that he needs to save. So much for feminism there.

What’s even worse though was that completely unpleasant and nonsensical marriage subplot that was thrown in. I mean holy crap, what kind of sense does that make? Why won’t Kirito try to contact the police on that matter? I know that technically it can make sense, but it’s a completely disrespectful twist on Asuna’s part. Not to mention, how the OP treats her, shoving some kind of weird elf in her place.
Rating: 3/8 (Enjoyable)

1. Cytl says:

I actually feel that the brother complex theme is being handled in a good way (specially for this show’s standards) this time, it being an overused trope is a different matter to me. Unfortunately the main conflict is unbearably corny and, if the studio decided to butcher the first side-stories of the show, the could at least have toned down how lame the villain was in this episode.

2. Ransom says:

Well, some people might not like the typical “knight in a white horse rescuing the princess” plot, but I kind of find this second arc of the novels way more enjoyable and consistent than the first one. As to Suguha liking Kirito, their dynamic is better explained in the novels, but alas, no much time in the anime to explain this subplot…

Below is my way of seeing Kazuto and Suguha relation MIGHT BE MINOR SPOILERS SO BEWARE…

Kazuto and Suguha relation dynamic in my opinion it’s neither good nor bad, their relation is far away from incest though: Kirito and Suguha actually were not really close as siblings at all before the SAO incident, they were more like two strangers living in the same house, Kirito kind of distanced himself from her after finding he was adopted, plus there was a problem with their Grandfather concerning kendo(If I remember correctly their grandfather was a Kendo dojo owner), which made Kirito keep his distance from Suguha even more, and made him get inmerced in online gamming, After the SAO incident, Suguha learned that they were not related, figured out that she actually didn’t know him at all, and tried to close the gap in their siblings relation by trying to learn a little bit more about Kazuto’s way of seeing the world, this, coupled with the fact that Kazuto came back as a more mature and an overall different individual made her see him in a different light, and develop a sort of crush on him. Anyway, Kirito has eyes only for Asuna, so we all know she’s going to get rejected in the end.

Now concerning Kazuto and Sugou… Please consider the following. You as a parent of a comatose girl have your “trusted” family friend, which you have known for years, both him and the rest of his family on one hand, and on the other, you have this high school kid that “claims” that he was your dauther’s boyfriend in game. I´m saying “claim” as there was no way to know what was going on in SAO other than the words from the people trapped in there and some specullations based on biometrics and some other statistics that I don’t remember. Anyway, who will you most willing to believe in? I’m actually find that very plausible. Sugou has been fooling Asuna’s family for a while now keeping his “great prospect” facade, he is a “succesful member of socity” in general, and Kazuto is just a highschooler that spent two years of his life in a hospital… Come on!! The plot is not that far fetched :)

• TheDarkLord says:

I 100% agree with you, seeing that I’ve read the novels as well. This second arc is much easier to follow once begun b/c the one week time constraint sugou puts on kazuto, so we wont see the few month skips like the first arc.

3. Obvious Dude says:

Psgels, I think SAO is heading into a different VMMORPG. When you watch the OP, it looks like different world that isn’t SAO.

4. wicked says:

Cousin thing, not that big of deal in Japan, not really a twist. People naturally call slightly older relatives and friends there big brother or big sister, not really meant to be an incest circumvent all the time. This is the same as you misunderstanding Chitose being incest because she called the guy Onii-chan.

5. Toki says:

I remember that during the whole series I heard several otakus complaining and wondering what was happening in real life. They were in the hospital? How did they eat? As they defecated? This episode seemed like the director’s response. You want real life, so take it! It is so breathtaking as a Mexican soap opera. No more perfect houses on the lakes, no more virgin brides and chaste grooms… and no more advanced fighting system. Just real life.

• TheDarkLord says:

Haha true a lot of people were asking. I think Reki Kawahara was trying to get through the “what was happening in real life?” question with the beginning of his second novel, which he did very well. This episode did portray it correctly. your question on defecate….well in the novel it is explained that the people are on super state of the art antibacterial gel beds that are apparently supposed to absorb excrements? was touched on a bit, so he did give an idea on how it was done lol didnt really look like that in the episode though

6. TheUltimateReaper says:

Dear god I have so much catching up to do. Psgels I hope you’re not complaining nonsensically again, I feel you overreact at times. Well I have yet to watch this so I don’t really know.

• AidanAK47 says:

To be fair, Reaper you have horrible taste which leads you to disagree with Psgels more often than not.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

My taste isn’t horrible, I love everything as long as it’s good. In fact I like many of the series psgels and others here have liked, but unlike the lot of those people I also like things they didn’t like. I’m the same with music. Why not enjoy as many things as possible?

• Mr. Mestopheles says:

The “horrible taste” part is that you chimed in before watching the episode only to complain about the writer. Perhaps “in horrible taste” would be a better description.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

That hardly makes sense, and I said “I hope” and I “don’t really know” This is what I mean by overreacting; at any rate, I respect psgels opinion despite any differences between us, otherwise I wouldn’t be here

• Vicious says:

Having a portrait of the Prince of Nonsense as an avatar is a statement of bad taste (or lack of it and just going with the flow aka mainstream for the sake of it) IMHO.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Nonsense my ass.
            Don’t even get me started on what I think of personality types that hate the Mastermind, which was likely the same of at least one of the creators/writers. Same reason so many poeple hated Yagami and his beliefs, excuse me for loving both mainstream and non mainstream, sorry I’m not a hipster with convoluted ideas about how reality and life actually works. I’ve lived around the world and been on the brink of death more than once, I’ve seen insanity and illogical story telling of reality all of my life. Wake up and smell the beans man. I’m willing to bet most people didn’t realize half of the crap CG was making statements about.

• Vicious says:

Yeah, try to make sense of one of the action of the Prince of Nonsense.
          Try to justify the twisted nonsense of a plot, specially in the second season.
          Tell me what were Nunnaly, or Shirley, if not only lame plot devices and nothing else.
          Oh, that series was colorful bullshit, nothing else.
          And hipster my ass, I know many people that says mainstream equals good, and also many people that says mainstreams equals bullshit, both of them are quite wrong, bullshit equals bullshit and thats all to it, from wherever it comes no matter how mainstream or not it is.

• Vicious says:

Meh. You take out the fun of it.
          I would want to still discuss about Code Geass, trying to find what people find witty about that plot, but that’s going -way- offtopic. So, maybe in another place, in another time.

7. Armpit says:

Bestest anime ever. All these haters just be jealous!!!!!

8. AidanAK47 says:

I find it amusing at how the OP treats Asuna. Just looking at it gives the impression that Kirito is just going to completely ditch Asuna for the sister.
    And it doesn’t end there…the next arc also completely pushes Asuna and the sister aside for a new girl….it annoys me. So much.

• wicked says:

don’t hate the playa, hate the game

ahhh stupid puns….

• meow says:

I wonder if it’s intentional to keep the audience guessing about how the story will turn out.

I always felt Suguha to be the new protagonist in Fairy Dance. Unlike Asuna, who is a supporting character to Kirito’s story, this is Suguha’s story about how she reconnects with Kazuto. A huge part of the story will be told in her perspective.

9. Anca says:

Thank you, Kirito! But your damsel is in another castle!

10. Armpit says:

I neverz thoughts thatz an anime culd ever been so much brilliant. Thankz yuz Japans four give us this masterpeece thats will truley be remembered threwout histories

11. Kurini says:

I agree with you Psgels!
    I’m also very disappointed in the OP…

12. Scruffy says:

While with the previous arc SAO was enjoyable (as long as you didn’t look too hard for the plot holes) unfortunately this arc is just REALLY bad. It has the lamest excuse for a villain ever and unfortunately it just gets worse. It’s like a plot from a bad NTR doujinshi.

The later novels are actually not bad although they still do tend to follow the tend of Kirito collecting his harem. It just is a huge pity that volumes 3 and 4 exist.

• meow says:

I get what you mean about Sugou but I also get why they created someone like him as a plot device, to put Kirito on the clock and try to save Asuna himself and possibly to explain a little about why Kayaba went to the extent he did to stop him and others like him from screwing with his dream castle. And I loved Suguha as a character.

13. meow says:

I actually loved the OP and ED myself. It shows off the new cast, along with a pretty good depiction of the current crisis and the struggles that need to be overcome. I wasn’t expecting it so early though. At the very least, I thought Kazuto would have to dive into ALO first. Plus the episode squeezed an awful lot of plot into it. :( Lots of flashbacks to explain Suguha’s emotional state.

First of all: why the sister?

Given what we know of Kazuto’s anti-social nature before he got trapped in SAO, I would imagine Suguha may have been the closest person to him in real life. She would be his best emotional support next to Asuna during this current crisis.

I know you guys will jump on incest the minute you notice her relationship and how big a role she seems to have in the new season but IMHO she plays a pretty good role in it and I would personally urge you to give her a chance as a character. She represents Kazuto’s old life before he got trapped in SAO. You might want to go rewatch episode 4, where Kirito talks about his relationship with Suguha. Bear in mind that she was raised never knowing Kazuto wasn’t really her brother til after he got trapped in SAO. I suspect she was told this because there would be no guarantee that Kazuto would awaken at all. 2000 players died within a month of the start of SAO so I suppose Suguha may have been living with the possibility of Kazuto dying anytime for two years. Her feelings for him would be pretty complicated, I would imagine, after he finally woke up. Add to that him having found someone important online, who was still in a coma and would constantly go visit her, etc. Seeing Kazuto broken like that may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Well, put it this way: If all was well in paradise, there wouldn’t be much of a story left to tell. ^^ If Asuna had awakened normally, even with Kayaba still missing and another 299 people still in a coma, do you think Kazuto or Asuna, a pair of students, would get involved? Well, you saw that photo at the end, right? (Yes! I knew they’d end 15 with that photo. XD) Asuna’s not out of the picture yet.

Why won’t Kirito try to contact the police on that matter?

Kazuto’s in a very weak position and recognizes it. Sugou is a close Yuuki family friend, trusted by Asuna’s father and almost betrothed to Asuna, albeit against her will. Without her conscious or any other kind of proof, there’s not a lot Kazuto can do since Sugou is responsible for keeping Asuna alive and is apparently the only one who may be able to get her to regain consciousness, since what was left of the old SAO system is now in his hands. Worse case scenario: Kazuto goes to the police, they start investigating Sugou, Sugou pulls the plug on Asuna (literally) to cover his tracks. Plus, Kazuto is pretty emotionally torn up right now. 2 months of rehab, worrying about Asuna, missing her terribly, and with no clue how to help her, etc. Sugou may have recognized this, which is why he was willing to drop that bomb on him to break him completely. It looks like it would have worked too, if not for Suguha.

• Gan_HOPE326 says:

I think that even being a family friend etc. etc., either legislation has regressed terribly in the future, or marrying an underage comatose woman without her explicit consent should be a crime regardless of how highly her father thinks of her future “husband”.

• meow says:

The episode actually covers this. He won’t actually be acknowledged as her husband but will legally adopt the family name, which will bring him great power within the family organization.

• commentOnly says:

whoa good logic and imagination i like it. Rarely seeing people with bright mind :)

14. Vince says:

Is that anything new? PSgels has his own likes and dislikes which I sometimes don’t agree with but in the end it’s all his opinions and he gives his reasons for.

What he wrote here, I agree with. So much needless meandering and introduction of new evil character #4 who’s going to be screwed within 1 minute when Kirito kicks his ass the next episode.

• meow says:

Fair enough. All I’m trying to do is point out if something could be seen in a different light cos I’m obviously seeing things from a different perspective. It’s up to you guys to decide if you like it or not.

• Mike says:

Indeed, though personally I’ve always find this to be an inherent weakness with episodic reviews, in that it tends to lend itself to speculations and complains that stems from said speculations.

• meow says:

I like Psgels’ episodic reviews though, for certain series. It’s just a place to shout out about something about that week’s episode that got to you, good or bad. And maybe speculate about the series direction. As long as there’s something about the series that makes you want to say something each episode.

Like this week, I was wondering how everyone would take Asuna’s condition. How many people saw it coming? I thought last season’s ending should have been on a hopeful note. If Kazuto made it out, Asuna should have as well. But it didn’t work out that way. How?
          Why? Is Kayaba still at it? Sugou is taking advantage of it but how? And what’s with this new MMO where Asuna appears to be trapped in? Did Kayaba make another game?

Also cool for me, was Kazuto bringing his sword skills into real life somehow. He hasn’t touched kendo since he was a kid but somehow he can go toe-to-toe with the nation’s no.8 middle school kendo practitioner while still in the middle of rehab.

• hoiut says:

“Also cool for me, was Kazuto bringing his sword skills into real life somehow.”

This was by far my favorite part of the episode. It was as intense as any boss fight in SAO (if not more so) because it felt so much more “real.” Let’s see how ultimate Kirito fares in real life if the NervGear was really as “bodily realistic” as it was claimed. And sure enough, it definitely impressed.

You know, for all of the “higher level makes you stronger” nonsense, it’s really the part I don’t like about MMORPGs in general. I’m a fan of games based more on player skill — and with NervGear, this level of “realism” can make a game a lot more fun.

This episode (well, this fight in particular) made me realize that the author has this amazing platform to build off of, and yet he chose to go down the “leveling up/grinding” path for the game. With the technology capable of such realism, make it more realistic, damn it — force Kirito to truly “get better” as a player, not “level up.”

Damn that fight was intense.

• Vince says:

My problem isn’t when people likes what they watch, it’s when they praise it like it’s a first coming and happen to overrate it too much by the time it ends. It’s bad enough the same people who watches Ghibli animation sees normal anime in a bad light.

I want the anime industry to succeed but if they keep showing stuff like this, it will never get out of its niche like game industry did. When there are so many anime too good to be faded away, typical formulaic anime comes along and ruins the already bad reputation anime industry gained. And hell, I enjoy Moe anime just as anybody but I don’t rate them all highly.

By the time it finishes, it’s going to be one of those anime to be remembered along with PMMM and it bugs me.

• Mike says:

Technically, if someone really likes a show THAT much, then you can’t really say they’re overrating it – it really is that good to them. It only becomes an issue if they started to present their own opinion as facts, which tbh is a common problem for both the fans and detractors of any show.

• Vince says:

And that is a problem. this sort of mediocrity becomes a standard. What is worse they already present their opinions as facts. Just look at **** ***** seen as a masterpiece. Well I guess at least it helps me to know there is much hardcore fanbase.

• Armpit says:

I agree people overrated this sooooo much. I mean it is pretty obvious that Accel World >>>>> SAO and Campione!>> SAO. So SAO can’t be the best ever like so many think, it is clearly only the 3rd best series ever

15. elior1 says:

about his sister you wrong she wont left out of this arc in fact she will be in all the episodes also what suguo did to asuna in this episode is nothing compard to the ugly things he will did for the rest of the episodes

16. Anon says:

I’m not a big fan of the ALO arc (which we are in now) because (a) sister/cousin drama and (b) Asuna the damsel, so I can’t even really tell you off for this overly negative post. But aside from these two points, the ALO arc is actually a straightforward adventure story (the go from point A to point B kind) and it’s pretty decent if you can bear with the angst and the drama. There’s a light at the end of this tunnel and the arc after this one is actually meaningful again and raises critical issues about PTSD as well as ties up some loose ends from SAO.

17. over_seer says:

I don’t mean to debase the course of dialogue here with a flippant remark, but this -is- from the same writer as Accel World, etc…

With the number of decent-seeming shows this season compared to the last, I don’t think it’s a loss to cut SAO if it goes to the dumps. I’ve not seen the source material, so I’m willing to keep an open mind, but I’ve not heard great things. Then again, many seem to be even less of fans of much of the first arc.

• Anon says:

AW isn’t THAT bad. Really. As for SAO, I’ve read the first ten light novels. They are actually pretty good as far as light novels go, but the author has a disposition to long info dumps, deus ex machinae, willpower beats logic, and overdramatization. But he does something right: all arcs have their individual style and deal with interesting topics like PTSD, AI rights, etc. Of course, it is a LN, so it’s all very coarse and superficial, but you can expect as much from any young adult-targetted novel in the West, too.

• Animenz says:

>long info dumps, deus ex machinae, willpower beats logic, and overdramatization.

You just summed up about everything, what makes fictional stories bad, and people are still enjoying this?

Someone care to explain this masochistic behavior to me, because – honestly – I don’t understand.

• Anon says:

It’s the characters that make SAO good for me. But it’s still a stretch to call it anything but guilty pleasure.

• commentOnly says:

i quite dont get about willpower beat logic. in my way of seeing thing i saw kirito is quite like a detective who use more brain than muscle

18. E says:

For some reason, east Asian cultures adore quiet, nice boys.

Also, it’s acceptable to marry cousins in that culture.

Lastly, think about the consequences of going to the police at this stage. He has no solid proof. She has been hidden and can be literally get deleted. The villain is likely a figurative god over her world. They will likely laugh him out their division.

Going to the police = absolute worst possible choice in this scenario.

19. meaqui says:

Things I didnt like: 1)cliched villain 2)Asuna as damsel in distress

Things I liked:
    1)the complete change of atmosphere – fasting forward 2 months to get to the cold season and thus having almost completely different colours

2)the change in the background music – contributes to the heavy atmosphere

3)the voiceacting

4)the interactions between the characters

5)the overall story (although it really was a quiet episode)

To sum it up, I liked the episode.

20. Animenz says:

Psgels, why can’t you just finally admit that SAO is a really badly written Anime?
    I’m still waiting for the day, where you’ll say: “okay I give up, this show is just bad”
    Focus on other shows, which definitely deserves more attention than SAO. It’s already hyped beyond good and evil among the animne community.

And I still can’t believe people are STILL defending this terrible show. It seems the only people who find SAO “legitimately good” are rabid fanboys, who have only watched 10+ animes in their live and don’t know shit about good story telling and proper narrative structure, and the other group of people who are defending this show are those extremely obstinate and annoying “light novel” readers, who are trying to sugarcoat every aspect of SAO.

Just give in and stop defending this show, why are you even lying to yourself, even though you know -deep inside- the show is stupid as hell?

• wa says:

I don’t consider myself as a SAO fanboy nor haven’t read the novels, but I still find the series enjoyable. Even though, I have seen 200+ different animes, I find SAO’s concept refreshing. Different tastes I guess.

• kazid1 says:

That i dont undertand is the terrible hate against the series, I dont say is the best anime ever but is prety good, it have a objetive, a solid plot it goes A to B, also whit his fast passing, and dont have the absurd´s surealism of “greats” anime shows. Is a fair show and i enyoied to much. And please can you dont put estaments of other people I have watched over 400 animes also many of the people that like the show saw the same amount, and belive me they are not fanboys or anything else, if you dont like it, dont see the show, is simply.

• commentOnly says:

all people is like that. if all people can respect, not to think negatively, self estimate and open minded this world will become heaven of life

• Avalon says:

I’ve watched 300+ anime and I still find SAO plenty enjoyable. The concept is interesting and the characters are nice. Obviously there are issues with the show, but they are not enough to completely ruin the show. Anyway, nothing I say will change your mind. You are in that dreaded mode where you believe opinion = fact.

21. Desu Chan says:

To be honest, SAO really sucked shit. Each episode was more and more depressing and yes, what animez said is correct. Those who mainly support sword art online are rabbit fanboys who 1. Do not know anything about quality anime (a.k.a main streamers). 2. I’m sure majority of you fanboys are just accepting plain major fan service and be honest here, you guys just like looking at Asuna or kirito’s sis. Waiting for “that” particular scene to happen. 3, are under peer pressure just because your friends said that this anime had good quality or whatsoever.

I can go on and on when I get my computer back but lets just get straight to the point here. Before we comment on this blog let us not judge a book by its cover. But rather judge SAO or any other anime with ANIME standards only. Sure many people have their likes and dislikes about for different anime and some try to defend their beliefs and such. But before stating your opinions, please read the blog and understand what message it is trying to deliver. This discussion is to discuss the flaws of swort art online. So before saying your wrong and I’m right bullshit just read the threat and posts and judge the anime by ANIME standards only. Not your personalized opinion about why it is good without a reason. Yes I’m referring to fanboys and ecchi lovers.

22. RABUJOI says:

The sister thing is a trope (Sugu is in fact voiced by the Oreimo girl), but it didn’t bother us as much. Here is a girl who knows the truth – Kirito is not her real brother – and sat beside his hospital bed for two years, worried that he may never wake up. It’s concievable that this is when she fell in love with him, not before: a love bourne out of fear of loss, and without him she’d be alone (we know, we’re speculating, but that’s how we saw it).

We do agree, however, that making poor Asuna – who was an awesome character – into a passive plot device at the mercy of various men (some with good intentions, others with VERY SKEEVY intentions) does her – and us – a tremendous disservice. The OP with the new game (?) in which the characters have elf ears was just sort of…there. We would have preferred no OP at all rather than a preview to future events that had zero to do with this episode’s events.

What we did like was how Kazuto’s month-long transition back to the real world has progressed. It’s cool how he still has his combat skills (though his non-kendo style throws off Sugu) and the experience makes him want to take kendo back up. His routine sword-sheathing motion was a really nice detail and a case of him still being in the game. But yeah, we’re hoping Asuna wakes up as soon as possible.

• Desu Chan says:

I’m not a fan or anything and honestly I only watched SAO because I the first episode . That’s it. I’m doing a little comparison and also posting to “test” my use of language and persuasive skills. Also I want Asuna to wake up do we can proceed with the story and not this stupidly awkward meaningless unexplained relationship between Asuna and kirito.

• kazid1 says:

Unexplained?, the both of them was nearly killed in the game, they developed feelings each other in base of the dangerous situations, and the support that each other offering in that situations. Is not that comlicated Desu Chan. the love born of simple, but powerfulls things.

• hoiut says:

“Sugu is in fact voiced by the Oreimo girl.”

Now THAT is what I call irony by proxy. I couldn’t stop laughing. How perfect! That’s quite something. The sister (potential love interest) is acted by the sister (potential love interest) in “My little sister can’t possibly be this cute!”

That’s just amazing. I am grinning right now. IRL. Hoho, well played, SAO! Well played!

23. sushiyassin55 says:

Seriously. This is worse than Persona 4 The Animation; least that series developed a wide range of characters. What the hell is this series trying to do with it’s characters, I have no idea.

• sushiyassin55 says:

Hell, least Persona 4 worked as an adaptation, which as a fan of the game was fun to watch. This…thing, just has the worst script writing since Guilty Crown aired; acts like it’s deep but ends up turning in circles and accomplishing nothing.

24. TheUltimateReaper says:

Ah. Finally watched it. Thought it was decent enough, the opening was surreal, the cousin was meh but not unbelievable, the villain was a piece of shit with lots of pull as he aught to be. I’m a bit estranged by this episode though I did enjoy it enough. I’m just waiting to see where this goes. To the people who hate this show, just give it up already, stop preaching your “master race of superior anime shows” crap. Neither you or I have a stake in the anime industry, you have nothing to do with it; in all actuality you will probably never create a story to be consumed by others in the same matter. I don’t think Asuna being trapped degrades her either, it’s not like she’s the only one. Fema-nazis might disagree, and it’s not like I like it but well, should this same thing be disallowed in any story for all of time? What purpose does that serve? Kirito can’t go the police as it was said before. Anyways, its not over yet, as long as the story has a solid conclusion, I’ll be happy to have watched it; though, a bad ending or stupid conclusion, to the likes I’ve seen before… *cough* (darker than black season 2) it will instantly earn my hate/dislike.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Not that anyone cares, on the subject of incest, scientifically speaking everyone is related to each other…. twice. Over time a klan will break into branches and eventually create very varied genes. Whether you believe in evolution or something more supernatural life was born out of “incest” a small group of common beings swapping genetics and slowly mutating or changing over time. I don’t really think incest to be that big of a deal, other than an increased risk for genetic diseases the closer the relation, scientifically it’s viable enough to continue a species and eventually balance itself out anyway. Anyways, here are common views and taboos in todays society, but in the past or even the future it might be entirely different.

• Sei says:

Well, I think you get the wrong point. Psgels, and some of us, did not actually bother with the social taboo. It’s just the portrayal of it is too common and too cliched in anime, till the point that it feels like Japanese siblings in anime could not be allowed a normal relationship. I think he is talking about it in a narrative point of view.

25. Yes says:

actually this episode sealed the deal for me. I’m dropping this crap. Ill just assumed that Asuna woke up too and they lived hapily ever after. . . the show ended after episode 14. . .time to move on now.

26. ujer says:

you guys are so harsh….yes,this show got a lot of plothole, nevertheless this show got likeable protagonist and heroine for me. I always hate the ones like naruto, bleach and beelzebub, typical shounen hero.

For me, flawed hero like rurouni kenshin and kirito is better since this will give chance for their character development and give more depth to the character.

This anime is not the greatest nevertheless good enough. Still, the villain in this arc is lame….typical villain..sigh…
    hope at least asuna will got her moment in this arc instead of just a damsel in distress…

• Avalon says:

Thank you for a comment that actually makes sense and not all this fanboy hate/love crap. I agree completely that the show is not bad, but has flaws. All the haters just don’t like how overrated it is and that just amplifies their hate for it.

• Anca says:

How is Kirito even remotely flawed?

• commentOnly says:

um.. since the anime cut most of the good part in novel. it make the mc of this anime look too perfect i think. that what make people hate this series. beside the episode of each story to short so the character development do not quite showed.

27. TheDarkLord says:

I think what needs to be remembered is that it isn’t the directors fault or the writers or w/e. They are simply following the novels as close as possible, and being that I’ve read all of them, they are spot on lol it does slow down a lot here and present quite a bit of set backs, but it will pick up

28. Argon says:

Jealous?, then don’t watch
    The anime is just beginning it’s not the end or something
    Overrated?, from your point of view? then create a poll of rating and wait until thousand of people rates this anime.
    Incest? just your imagination beyond the anime, read the light novel

^_^ too many haters/jealous in this site comparing their fav anime hahahahahaha, X_X

29. JaK says:

ahaha this is so lol xD people pissing each other off over a animu :D , if u like it u like it u cant make others hate it and if u don’t then meh like i care :3

30. Terry says:

“What the hell kind of episode was that?! No. Just, no.”

@Psgels

ROFLMAO.

31. commentOnly says:

if you already finished reading the novel til the lastest volume now. I think you will start to grasp the main story about SAO.
    Cause the story is not about the online game of SAO which is took place at aincard. but more about the software that named SAO by the mighty creator Kayaba Akihiko.

thus this kinda look like spoiler i think.

And for once, I feel that developing the characters isn't a appropriate choice for this type of show. The main cast need to develop, yes, but most of the supporting cast was presented as ambiguous and mysterious, thus making them change in the end feel just wrong
The main kidnapping was never addressed thoroughly, and it should be the main overarching arc, instead of this ending.
So... I've just binged through Ghost Hound. It starts as a compelling psychological mystery series, and ends up being... thriller of sort? The first half, building up stage was its best, and then unfortunately it run out of steam
Hey Favoro is like a good whiskey. You gotta drink it slow and enjoy it :)

I liked Predators.
Spike
8 episodes in we finally get to see who we were all waiting for in Bahamut! ...for 2 seconds.
I did watch the version with the alien coming out of the ox. I haven't watched Predators, AVP1 was ok, like the newer movies its just the human element that has consistently gotten worse and unmemorable. I think that element in particular made me enjoy watching Alien 3 now, than if I had watched it in order, considering how it begins.
Thankfully the franchise can never fall as low as the predator reboot or alien vs predator.
@Vonter: Be sure you're watching the extended version.
I liked 3/4s of this film, as the plans to kill the alien got more cumbersome the film got more tiring. And I think it was obligated to annihilate the cast considering they take the time to take out a whole bunch of them. I also think it's very noticeable the tiring production this had, and while people praise practical effects now, this movie sadly didn't integrate well the alien puppet.
I've just watched Alien 3, the only Alien movie I hadn't seen do to the diviseness towards it. I think I went with the best expectations considering now on hindsight newer movies have made it look more competent, having more weight. This movie has characters, integrates the religious motiffs better, the Alien more than a closet monster is a formidable force of nature.
.....It just dawn on me looking through my letterboxd account...I have never seen afro samurai...
@Kaiser: I'm on hold with SukaSuka as well after 5 episodes. Ejoyable so far but its LN's tendencies hurt the show
@Kaiser: yeah, like I said in one of my weekly post, Tsuki ga Kirei is simple, but isn't easily obtained. At this point, I'm truly invested in these kids that it makes me tense just to see how they keep up with their relationship, haha.
I have yet to catch up with sukasuka and don't care about bahamut all that much.
I feel its sweet and sensitive approach has a rhythm to it that I started going along with.
It’s obviously slow but I began not noticing the time go by as I watched more.
The art makes me think of Shimura Takako’s and makes me wonder what the series might have been like if she wrote it.
The dub is mediocre so after 3 episodes I switched to subs.
The relative quietness and how scaled back in comparison to other anime romances is welcome and it never becomes dramatically or comedically obnoxious which I think is in its favour.
I decided to catch up on tsuki ga kirei. We said this before, but that scene where he meets the publisher about his writing is a stand out one.
For the show overall so far itself, above all I see it as something simple, un-demanding to watch, its good a break from all those old/art films I have to concentrate on harder to follow.
Maybe Goth would count but its more o a mystery manga.
Not familiar with shibito or sugar life. May as well recommend everything by Kazuo Umezu and Junji ito. 6000 ended disappointingly, I fell behind in dead tube. Does sugar dark count?
I am a Hero is a personal favorite of mine
@Anon: Uzumaki, Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi, Happy Suger Life, 6000 and Dead Tube. I suppose.
What is some good horror manga
@Mario I also noticed that korean thrillers are way too obnoxious with shakycam.
@Mario, about LWA, that was how I felt. Its just not as magical, as special, as the original OVA was to me. I suppose thats to much to ask for a 25 ep series, but it turned me off
@Mario, TV Diana has some charm points but I think OVA Diana provided a better dynamic. I mean sure, She was essentially female Draco Malfoy but her attitude made reveals like her being a secret Chariot fan more impactful. Plus her tsundere act torwards Akko was rather adorable.
about LWA again, unlike Aidan I actually enjoy this version of Diana. I know she's one note, too perfect but she's charming. Too charming haha which serves well as a contrast to Akko
...just pop one random film from him. His films are not without its bad side thou, in particular I find the dialogues shapeless and dragging. But well it does add to the naturalness of his films
on LWA I would also recommended it. It is a fluffy show, with a sense of wonder. Some episodes are better, some are more flat, and the over-arching storyline leaves me bored. But it does have that sense of childlike wonder, which I had missed among all the "grim" shows.
@Kaiser: I have a bit of problems with Korean movies lately as now they're heavily thriller style-over-substance films, so films that have very simple style like Hong-Sang-Soo's joints are the welcome change of air. One thing about his films thou, If you watched one of his film, you've watched them all. They're so similar in tones and concepts that I reckon if you feel like watching his films...
So I say it's still worth finishing. It's good but I don't feel the sparks that made it so great from the OVAs anymore
@Lenlo: about LWA. Plus side: Those hijinks. I mean the show is fun and magical. Negative side: I wish the show's storytelling is a bit tighter, each episode feels so loose it doesn't add up much and more like different variations of Akko + one member of the cast's hijink. Doesn't help either that the other casts just disappeared until they have an episode for 2 for themselves
@Anon1113829: I "enjoyed" Beyond the Boundary, but that show was a mess. The episode 10 was stand out for me, and the ending was kinda... a wreck. Certainly interesting but quality-wise I wouldn't reccommend it
@SuperMario KyoAni fan? What did you think of Kyoukai no Kanata? I really wanted to like it, I thought it had some potential, but IMO nothing worked right.
@Lenlo, It's good. Fun to watch certainly. Though sadly it falls short of being great.
So question: Is Little Witch Academia worth finishing atm? I started it last season, but for some reason it just fell off my radar
@Mario: Thankfully, while not entirely satisfying, day he arrives is just the Korean film I've been looking for, refreshingly more low key, quieter and I enjoyed the new wavy combined with raw style, making it all feel very natural.
@Mario: Well then, thanks for the rec on Hong-sang-so, I looked at The day he arrives. Y'know the reason I sometimes dread going into films featuring romance is because I'm conditioned from seeing the bad ones.
....I may actually read this, the last time I read a manga steeped in politics was Sanctuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle:_The_Making_of_an_Asian-American_President
@Aidan: I actually have very limited experience with Ellis as a comic book writer, only read Transmetropolitan, I know he's writing the Castlevania adaptation.
@Aidan: I heard the same thing; can't help being a completist though so I'll eventually get to them
@Mario, From what I heard, it doesn't get better.
@Kaiser: that scene from the 1st episode of Phantom world lost me... but even then I'm willing to give the show another chance. That's how far I would go ^^ https://mobile.twitter.com/aaapodcast/status/687148875052892160/photo/2
@Kaiser, Looks like they are putting some real effort into it. May actually turn out pretty good after all.
@K-Off, Under the Red hood is a damn fine movie. Likely one of the best of the DC animated universe. Though try Superman vs the elite out. It's pretty good.
Even phantom world Mario...even phantom world ? =)
Just the teaser trailer, not much to go on, but heres a short preview of that netflix castlevania thing that got mentioned on here a while back, up the quality to 360p:
At this stage, I'm pretty much KyoAni fanboy now so with every new material, I'll hype it up to the sky ^^
@Mario: I did follow it up with The spy who loved me though to cheer myself up =P Given that Rodger Moore just died =)
@Kaiser: just looked through what Short Men Behind the Sun is about: "human experiments carried out by Japanese army during WW2?" Already sound grim and too real. Then "a graphic depiction of the human experiments" haha no wonder you felt unsettled Kaiser
VyseLegendaire
My favorite Exploitation Flick is An Inconvenient Truth 2.0
@Mario: Long story short men behind the sun is finally the exploitation flick that defeated me and actually made me unsettled.
@Mario: I remember you talking about how Salo really affected you as an exploitation film, generally exploitation films don't shock or disturb me, but I just watched the cantonese dubbed version of Men behind the sun.
And the worst thing about beyond the boundry and phantom world, it discolours my opinion of kyoani as a whole, making me negatively reflect on older work they did .
Yep, that's the new KyoAni one. Like Puran I don't have any expectations of it. The premise certainly seems like the closest they have come to breaking out of there usual format but I am sure they will find a way to shove in Moe antics. Though based on what is seen so far it looks like they are trying to emulate Key.
Puran
Is that a new KyoAni anime?.. I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Last Anime from them that I cared about was probably Hyouka
Bring you some news, Violet Evergarden will be aired as an anime TV. Though many sources saying it gonna air this year, it has a better possibility to air next year
Well, aesthetically, he's pretty much on par with Yang and Wong. It's just that his films are often emotionally distant, feel more like watching the paint dry hahaa
@Mario: I connect more emotionally with Yang and Wong.
@Mario: I went in expecting Edward Yang and Kar-wong-wai levels of quality, which may have been quite unfair standards to put him up against.
I myself find his films difficult to watch, but when the films end they usually hold up very very well. Both The Assassin and 3 Times in particular are my favorite of the year
@Kaiser: I completely understand your reaction because his films are demanding as hell. I remembered watching The Assassin in big screen, 3 people next to me fall asleep, one of them snoring and the other one fall asleep within the first 10 mins. That Hou Hsiao's movies for you
@Mario: Its such a shame because he makes gorgeous cinema and City of sadness is actually pretty informative account of the times....I just can't jive with him and I actually like "slow cinema" but watching his work is insanity inducingly boring for me.
@Mario: ....I'm really sorry, I don't mind long slow even spiritual, talky, non-narrative, old, complex,meditative , art films but I'm really really finding it hard to watch Hou Hsiao's work, I've tried time to live and the Assassin and I just bailed after 2 out of 3 hours on city of sadness.
I have to say Akko is developing nicely as a character in LWA. Also Magane in Re:Creators reminds me of Hannibal as palyed by Mads Mikkelsen. There is that same est for life married to sociopath that is a bit charming :) Mamika's character is also just cool. Beyond that AofT and Bahamut both delivered competent episodes, with Bahamut a good mix between comedy and tragedy.
@Aidan Assault on Arkham was fantastic. Between that and Under the Red Hood, a classic.
@Kaiser: I have a lot to say in this week's Eccentric Family. Review will come up later tonight when I get back home from work.
Seen Assault on Arkham or what it should be called, The animated Suicide Squad movie. Thinking of checking out Dark.
@Aidan: Have you seen assault on Arkham or the justice league dark film?
@Aidan: It isn't so much because its Talia x Batman, moreso that it feels odd shipping Batman with anyone.
While kind of amusing, initially I wasn't too into Uchouten this week, the hot spring part got me groaning, but then someway through dramatically it really picked up.
From reading comics a few years back, I still feel that they adapt better to animation.
@Vonter: And I say this as someone who was able to defend Alien 3 and Ressurection.
Covenent felt like an Infantilized version of Alien.
I wouldn't call either John Wick film or free fire amazing or anything but they had great fight scenes that were actually visually coherent , of course they weren't given a proper release.
I'm not watching/paying for anymore of these reboots/remakes/shakey cam pg rated action films anymore. I'll stick with my balls to the wall Hong-Kong/Chinese ones.
@Vonter: It also had really uneven pacing aswell.
@Vonter: ....The dialogue is so embarassing, they don't do enough with this backstory, they just keep teasing, none of the new characters have the same charisma , the editting in the action scenes shakes all overtheplace.
@Vonter: I gave Covenent a fair chance, I thought it would be an exception to the reboot thing. I'll admit theres the sets, the atmosphere, Fassbenders performance , the idea to expand on the franchises mythos is cool but....
It really really hurts as a film fan, trying to find older, genuinely quality foreign films , finding that no-one is seeding them and theres no proper/in print dvd release anymore. Then finding some awful shakey cam modern American superhero film with billions of seeds and a bluray release.
@K-Off, I don't know. Todd was more the imperfect son always aiming for batmans approval. Damian is more an assasin wondering why the hell he can't just kill his enemies. I hear that Comic Damian works better than Animated Damian. I do think that if given a personality he could work but as he is currently you are right that he's essentially a mishmash of past robins.
I watched Alien Covenant and I don't know if it improves by being more dumb and less pretentious or if it os the final nail in the Alien franchise coffin. Not since the StarWats prequels there has been a retcon that changes your view of the original movies.
I can recall enjoying a certain Jason Todd centered story called Batman:death in the family.
Well, even when Damian does completely cross the line and become a villain, he's not even that interesting, i.e Injustice. Yup, Jason Todd already covered everything, but better.
Problem is that he's an edge lord cocky piece of shit that just doesn't have enough likeable traits for this to be compelling. What really pushed him over the edge was mocking Nightwing over his parents deaths. That shit is not on.
@K-Off, I like the contrast that Batman refuses to cross the line and kill but Damian has crossed that line. As well as his potentail to become a villain. Tim and Dick didn't really have that though Jason sort of did. Damian's arc is more about teaching him the morality of a hero.
@Aidan I'm not sure I like Damian's concept to begin with. The Bat-son dilemma's inherently addressed by the Robins for all intents and purposes. Damian just goes through the same motion, only difference being he's biologically related.
Yup. Wonderwoman either doesn't need to have a love interest, or it needs to be with Steve Trevor, the two have a solid backstory that the movies unnecessarily removed.
@Kaiser, I don't mind the Taila X batman pairing. Makes more sense than Batman and Batgirl. But if there's one pairing pushed in the new movies that I just find wrong is the Superman X wonder woman. I just don't get that one.
@K-Off, I like the concept of Damian as a character. But it's executed so badly.
Teen titans needs one more season to wrap up all the loose ends. Such as what happens to Slade, and Blackfires revenge. The creators clearly wanted to explore those plot lines but got cut short.
Teen Titans hasn't aged very well, but one thing I still do like about it is how contained and local the setting and cast were for the first half of that show. When godly superpowers are involved, that appeals to me. Much of the same reason why I like Logan and Raimi's Spiderman so much.
Very rarely watched teen titans when I was younger, I was vaguely interested in slade, stopped watching around when Terra appeared. I actively avoided comics where Damien appeared, never liked that Talia x Batman pairing much, I can only imagine how much worse it is to listen to Damien than read him.
@Aidan, I like some aspects of those movies, but I'm not a big fan of the new continuity and art style in general...and yeah it doesn't help that Damian is irredeemably unlikable.
@K-Off, There is also the DC animated Teen Titans movies like Teen Titans vs Justice Leage and Teen titans the Judus contract. Though it's not the same as the the TV series and Damian is such a dick.
@Anon I don't think Teen Titans needs another season. The last season wasn't that good, but the movie ended the series on a high note and Young Justice pretty much rebooted everything, at least in terms of replacing people's want for a more mature DC cartoon about the Titans.
Yeah it's become more of a hassel (for myself and my friends) to set aside time to go to a theater.
I guess in the end it all comes down to how easily it reaches the viewers. Give us a hard time and we don't give a damn to check the new movie/show out
... otherwise have to wait for a year, even more before it reaches Australia. But many companies will raise in the wake of Netflix and that will be where problems arise
This trend isn't happening within the anime industry, but it's happening in the movie world as well. In the past 2 years, Netflix starts to exclusively distribute many films, meaning that they won't have theatrical release, but straight to Video on Demand which caused quite a stir in the industry. Personally, I actually don't have much problem with it as now I will get a chance to see a film that
Dive!! , a series that will air next season on noitaminA slot will stream exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Not that I'm eagerly looking forward to Dive, but that news again makes me frustrated. No one will watch it and then all the hypes it might have will die down eventually.
Considering I didn't even expect a season 5 it's more than I could've evr wanted. Now if only if only Teen Titans could get the same chance.
Oh yeah, it turned out well. Didnt mean to say it didnt.
@Lenlo, Considering that the ratio of great to alright episodes is 8 to 2 I say that it turned out pretty well.
I have to say, the Samurai Jack season started stronger than it ended imo
So this is how Samurai Jack ends. 16 years in the making. Honestly considering how much needed to get wrapped up I knew the ending would be a bit flawed. Really think Gen should have givin it one more episode to flesh out the ending and then it wouldn't feel so rushed. Overall despite it's flaws, it's a decent ending. Not prefect by any means but it will do the job.
Lol theres a surprise, seriously, Black Lagoons manga is updating again.
worst recap ever for me? Gangsta. That was a stupid recap episode. Really like a Public Announcement. Useless, stupid, and ruining atmosphere. Utter stupidity. There I got it our of me :p
@Masky: Unfortunately too far behind in the sequel manga to catch up, I did take a look at THAT in the latest chapter though.
Huh, for some reason thought Tokyo Ghoul was under shonen when its seinen. Welp now that makes more sense, I was thinking story about cannibalism would be kinda absurd for shonen.
Spike
They serve no purpose except to fill airtime when production gets fucked up. They have 2 bad choices - run a recap or run an unfinished episode. Recap is generally the less dogshit choice. I've seen a few anime that ran the episodes with unfinished animations and still frames.... the backlash was about 100x what a recap is.
I'm about to say that to you as well Kaiser, maybe watch the recap and then continue on. The only thing I kind of take from the recap episode is the editting: how they chop off the fat of 6 episodes to still give you important developments. But as a way to catch up/ to reintroduce the series, it's freaking useless
I don't think anyone should start from the recap episode. Unless there was a long hiatus, a recap in between episodes is unnecessary for new viewers and old
I mean, aside from whatever happens with Mugaro.
Next episode seems early, out of 24 episodes, for Nina to learn the Prince is Chris, yet that seems to be what the confrontation is leading towards, and then she freaks out and he learns shes the dragon. Becomes the conflict for the rest of the season?
Seems I was right, Azazel didnt predict that Nina might not be so easily riled up as she once was. To bad so sad Azazel, she has someone she loves now.
How useful are these recap episodes anyway/actually? Hypothetically lets say I was feeling lazy and decided to watch tsuki ga kirei starting from the recap episode.
[link src="https://www.anirena.com/?s=blame

So long as there are consequences for how hes acting, then I am ok with it. I just dont want him to turn into some MC hero when hes acting like this.
And in Re:Creators Sota is still being a goddamn pussy. Now that the exposition has gone down I am really starting to hate this kid.
It's the presentation that they differ. Ghost Hound focuses more on the atmosphere, so those details I mentioned before work for their benefits; whereas Sagrada Reset focus on plots (and confusing themes) so those stick out like sore thumb.
4 episodes into Ghost Hound so far. This show also reminds me a bit of Sagrada Reset this season- the way they both emotional distant, complex plots; keep viewers away at arm's length, and feature characters that have robotic facial expressions. Yet I enjoyed Ghost Hound so far and couldn't engage in Sagrada Reset at all.
@Spike: I was like... "tsuki ga kirei has a recap episode, so let's move on to Kado"... another recap. Tsuki ga kirei I'm not too worry as it confirmed that it'll have 12 episodes, but I'm not confident on Kado
@lenlo: in a sense you have to suffer it all alone. No worries thou as I intend to binge watch it when this season's over
Spike
Kado team crumbled under the pressure. Recap this week.
@SuperMario, im happy I dont have to compete with anyone to cover Berserk :P Got it all to myself to whine about, though its been ever so slowly improving.
Ranka is ranka in any verse.
Bahmut no spoilers. Ranka Lee. She just doesn't get it so everyone dies. As she stands around wondering.
In fact, Okja will play in the Sydney film festival next month, but seeing that it will stream in Netflix at the end of June I think it's best to wait until then
@Kaiser: great, I'm super hyped to watch Okja. Always enjoy Boon's movies. The critic's reviews from Cannes on Okja should come up soon I believe.
@Kaiser: I watched Lain many times over as well but I'm sure that I didn't pick up everything. That show required multiple-viewing anyways.
@Mario: Good news, netflix will stream Okja at the end of this June.
@Mario: Its not often that I rewatch things, but years ago I've seen Lain at least three times, its also one of those few anime series where I felt to look up deeper analysis into it. It had a tremendous atmosphere and was ahead of its time.
@Kaiser: watching Ghost Hound made me want to revisit Serial Experiment Lain and give my episodic thoughts on that. Not gonna happen soon as I have my hand full right now but I swear I'll get to that one day.
@Mario: I actually am planning to rewatch ghost hound soon, so I'll give you my new thoughts on it then.
I always avoided Altair mostly based on it being a shounen action series. Kakeguruis premise involves gambling games, which I don't find interesting.
Kakegurui is on my list. I thought it would be crap (terrible setting etc), but the manga won me over. Princess Principal will be given a chance, so will Shoukouko no Altair.and perhaps Reflection. We shall see. Also Twilight Axis Gundam, as I love the manga team.
@Anon, Recap episodes exist because of production troubles. Sometimes shit happens when you make an anime.
You are being a bit overally argressive but I do agree with the statement that Ntr is pathetic power fantasy. It really is.
Ntr is a pathetic power fantasy for pathetic people
Why the hell do recap episodes exist. Do they think we're that autistic
I honestly don't even what NTR is so I had to look it up. Interesting
Just a quick remaider that Tsuki ga Kirei has a recap episode this week. And yep, after watching this week's Sakura Quest I think I'm gonna stick with it
Flipping through the list, I'm also pretty know what I'm interested in, most of them are original anime, which is a plus
@Aidan: I'm still amazed that us never have to fight over covering shows, except for that one time with Flip Flappers. Always thought that crappy tastes are the same
*Those two comments were refering to NTR trap
I would really genuinely like to see some of these smut manga actually functionally use fanservice and romantic sex scenes rather than just cheap titilattion
@Aidan: Poorly done ragey drama with bad comedy bits , I've reached a point with it where I no longer want my time wasted by it.
@Mario, I admit to having passing interest in Princess Principal but not enough to fight you over it.
And Tsurezure Children is actually really really good. Really fluffy love stories with great comedy.
haha, even me who love slice-of-life won't fall for Tsurezure Children

Tsuki ga Kirei – 07 [Hold Back Nothing When Taking Love]

With this episode Tsuki ga Kirei marches on its impressive run. If there is one thing that I’m still impressed about Tsuki ga Kirei, it’s that despite its slow-pacing, the story never stands still. Each episode is a steady step-forward, clearly mark-out stage from its main couple’s relationship. I wasn’t at all expecting that much […]

Sakura Quest – 08 [The Fairy’s Recipe]

This was a solid episode from Sakura Quest. This week is the first of the two-parter (probably) about the Queen and her team making a special dish for Manoyama town that could attract tourists. Now I see the formula the show’s currently employing: the first three episodes focus on Yoshino and her coming to term with […]

Re:Creators – 07 [Everything I Can Do]

The conclusion to the last week’s fight turns out to only eslcate in size with Yuuya and the giant robot joining the fray before ending off on a rather anticlimactic note. You have Mamaika remaining true to her character and trying to put out fires everywhere while everyone else pairing off in a grudge match. […]

ID-0 – 07 [Overstepping]

This week found the three main characters: Ido, Maya and Alice all got “eaten” by that huge annoying rock. Thankfully, being a rock – they themselves call it a wandering planet, or Rajeev retrieved, it can only swallow them whole – not chew – but it effectively cuts down all the communication and oxygen from […]

Little Witch Academia – 20[Sense and Sensibility]

This episode has really nailed home for me just how defanging Diana has been a bad choice. In the OVA episodes Diana was bratty and stuck up but at least then she had character. In the TV series she’s more or less a mary sue through and through which is sadly a much more boring […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 33[The Hunters]

One thing that continues to surprise me when covering this series is that after watching a full 25 minute episode of it and sitting down to write, I think about what happened in the episode and find it remarkably little. Truly, what did happen this episode? Well Reiner and Bertholdt ran off with Eren and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 07 [The Friday Fellows Club, Again]

For a show that has a knack for little moments, this episode is one of the rare times that Eccentric Family goes for big dramatic emotional route, and manages to knock it out of the park. Soun, in the end, serves no more purpose than a pawn in a chess. Wicked all the way, but […]

Sakura Quest – 07 [The Mansion in Purgatory]

This week in Sakura Quest, we have core members lashing out at each other, and some more nice interactions between other members – which in fairness is all I could hope for. You know a cast is well developed when you can pick any two main characters and they still have their unique chemistry together. […]

ID-0 – 06 [The Observer]

With this episode we start to learn more about Ido’s true identity but the reveal feel far-fetched at best. I know he’s supposed to be someone special, but “an enemy of mankind”? Seriously? That trope again? So he was a Titan or some kind of disease that destroy the human kind? Oh since he’s in […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100