Posted by psgels on 14 October 2012 with categories: Sword Art Online

What the hell kind of episode was that?! No. Just, no. I’m beginning to fear that this series is heading in a very unpleasant direction here…

First of all: why the sister? Yeah, I know that she’s not a sister and actually a cousin and all, but that makes it even worse: it’s the same kind of twist you see pulled in all of those other bloody incest shows in order to pretend that it’s supposedly “okay”. I mean dear god: anime creators: most siblings out there can get along with each other just fine without any romance, you know? Why does every show with a brother and sister have to have romance between them!?

Second of all, you actually did it. I so kept hoping for the creators not to do it after all that sappy build-up but instead of killing off Asuna, she was just put on a bus. Completely changed from a strong female character to a plot device to get Kirito back playing the game, and she seems to be reduced to a trophy that he needs to save. So much for feminism there.

What’s even worse though was that completely unpleasant and nonsensical marriage subplot that was thrown in. I mean holy crap, what kind of sense does that make? Why won’t Kirito try to contact the police on that matter? I know that technically it can make sense, but it’s a completely disrespectful twist on Asuna’s part. Not to mention, how the OP treats her, shoving some kind of weird elf in her place.
Rating: 3/8 (Enjoyable)

1. Cytl says:

I actually feel that the brother complex theme is being handled in a good way (specially for this show’s standards) this time, it being an overused trope is a different matter to me. Unfortunately the main conflict is unbearably corny and, if the studio decided to butcher the first side-stories of the show, the could at least have toned down how lame the villain was in this episode.

2. Ransom says:

Well, some people might not like the typical “knight in a white horse rescuing the princess” plot, but I kind of find this second arc of the novels way more enjoyable and consistent than the first one. As to Suguha liking Kirito, their dynamic is better explained in the novels, but alas, no much time in the anime to explain this subplot…

Below is my way of seeing Kazuto and Suguha relation MIGHT BE MINOR SPOILERS SO BEWARE…

Kazuto and Suguha relation dynamic in my opinion it’s neither good nor bad, their relation is far away from incest though: Kirito and Suguha actually were not really close as siblings at all before the SAO incident, they were more like two strangers living in the same house, Kirito kind of distanced himself from her after finding he was adopted, plus there was a problem with their Grandfather concerning kendo(If I remember correctly their grandfather was a Kendo dojo owner), which made Kirito keep his distance from Suguha even more, and made him get inmerced in online gamming, After the SAO incident, Suguha learned that they were not related, figured out that she actually didn’t know him at all, and tried to close the gap in their siblings relation by trying to learn a little bit more about Kazuto’s way of seeing the world, this, coupled with the fact that Kazuto came back as a more mature and an overall different individual made her see him in a different light, and develop a sort of crush on him. Anyway, Kirito has eyes only for Asuna, so we all know she’s going to get rejected in the end.

Now concerning Kazuto and Sugou… Please consider the following. You as a parent of a comatose girl have your “trusted” family friend, which you have known for years, both him and the rest of his family on one hand, and on the other, you have this high school kid that “claims” that he was your dauther’s boyfriend in game. I´m saying “claim” as there was no way to know what was going on in SAO other than the words from the people trapped in there and some specullations based on biometrics and some other statistics that I don’t remember. Anyway, who will you most willing to believe in? I’m actually find that very plausible. Sugou has been fooling Asuna’s family for a while now keeping his “great prospect” facade, he is a “succesful member of socity” in general, and Kazuto is just a highschooler that spent two years of his life in a hospital… Come on!! The plot is not that far fetched :)

• TheDarkLord says:

I 100% agree with you, seeing that I’ve read the novels as well. This second arc is much easier to follow once begun b/c the one week time constraint sugou puts on kazuto, so we wont see the few month skips like the first arc.

3. Obvious Dude says:

Psgels, I think SAO is heading into a different VMMORPG. When you watch the OP, it looks like different world that isn’t SAO.

4. wicked says:

Cousin thing, not that big of deal in Japan, not really a twist. People naturally call slightly older relatives and friends there big brother or big sister, not really meant to be an incest circumvent all the time. This is the same as you misunderstanding Chitose being incest because she called the guy Onii-chan.

5. Toki says:

I remember that during the whole series I heard several otakus complaining and wondering what was happening in real life. They were in the hospital? How did they eat? As they defecated? This episode seemed like the director’s response. You want real life, so take it! It is so breathtaking as a Mexican soap opera. No more perfect houses on the lakes, no more virgin brides and chaste grooms… and no more advanced fighting system. Just real life.

• TheDarkLord says:

Haha true a lot of people were asking. I think Reki Kawahara was trying to get through the “what was happening in real life?” question with the beginning of his second novel, which he did very well. This episode did portray it correctly. your question on defecate….well in the novel it is explained that the people are on super state of the art antibacterial gel beds that are apparently supposed to absorb excrements? was touched on a bit, so he did give an idea on how it was done lol didnt really look like that in the episode though

6. TheUltimateReaper says:

Dear god I have so much catching up to do. Psgels I hope you’re not complaining nonsensically again, I feel you overreact at times. Well I have yet to watch this so I don’t really know.

• AidanAK47 says:

To be fair, Reaper you have horrible taste which leads you to disagree with Psgels more often than not.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

My taste isn’t horrible, I love everything as long as it’s good. In fact I like many of the series psgels and others here have liked, but unlike the lot of those people I also like things they didn’t like. I’m the same with music. Why not enjoy as many things as possible?

• Mr. Mestopheles says:

The “horrible taste” part is that you chimed in before watching the episode only to complain about the writer. Perhaps “in horrible taste” would be a better description.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

That hardly makes sense, and I said “I hope” and I “don’t really know” This is what I mean by overreacting; at any rate, I respect psgels opinion despite any differences between us, otherwise I wouldn’t be here

• Vicious says:

Having a portrait of the Prince of Nonsense as an avatar is a statement of bad taste (or lack of it and just going with the flow aka mainstream for the sake of it) IMHO.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Nonsense my ass.
            Don’t even get me started on what I think of personality types that hate the Mastermind, which was likely the same of at least one of the creators/writers. Same reason so many poeple hated Yagami and his beliefs, excuse me for loving both mainstream and non mainstream, sorry I’m not a hipster with convoluted ideas about how reality and life actually works. I’ve lived around the world and been on the brink of death more than once, I’ve seen insanity and illogical story telling of reality all of my life. Wake up and smell the beans man. I’m willing to bet most people didn’t realize half of the crap CG was making statements about.

• Vicious says:

Yeah, try to make sense of one of the action of the Prince of Nonsense.
          Try to justify the twisted nonsense of a plot, specially in the second season.
          Tell me what were Nunnaly, or Shirley, if not only lame plot devices and nothing else.
          Oh, that series was colorful bullshit, nothing else.
          And hipster my ass, I know many people that says mainstream equals good, and also many people that says mainstreams equals bullshit, both of them are quite wrong, bullshit equals bullshit and thats all to it, from wherever it comes no matter how mainstream or not it is.

• Vicious says:

Meh. You take out the fun of it.
          I would want to still discuss about Code Geass, trying to find what people find witty about that plot, but that’s going -way- offtopic. So, maybe in another place, in another time.

7. Armpit says:

Bestest anime ever. All these haters just be jealous!!!!!

8. AidanAK47 says:

I find it amusing at how the OP treats Asuna. Just looking at it gives the impression that Kirito is just going to completely ditch Asuna for the sister.
    And it doesn’t end there…the next arc also completely pushes Asuna and the sister aside for a new girl….it annoys me. So much.

• wicked says:

don’t hate the playa, hate the game

ahhh stupid puns….

• meow says:

I wonder if it’s intentional to keep the audience guessing about how the story will turn out.

I always felt Suguha to be the new protagonist in Fairy Dance. Unlike Asuna, who is a supporting character to Kirito’s story, this is Suguha’s story about how she reconnects with Kazuto. A huge part of the story will be told in her perspective.

9. Anca says:

Thank you, Kirito! But your damsel is in another castle!

10. Armpit says:

I neverz thoughts thatz an anime culd ever been so much brilliant. Thankz yuz Japans four give us this masterpeece thats will truley be remembered threwout histories

11. Kurini says:

I agree with you Psgels!
    I’m also very disappointed in the OP…

12. Scruffy says:

While with the previous arc SAO was enjoyable (as long as you didn’t look too hard for the plot holes) unfortunately this arc is just REALLY bad. It has the lamest excuse for a villain ever and unfortunately it just gets worse. It’s like a plot from a bad NTR doujinshi.

The later novels are actually not bad although they still do tend to follow the tend of Kirito collecting his harem. It just is a huge pity that volumes 3 and 4 exist.

• meow says:

I get what you mean about Sugou but I also get why they created someone like him as a plot device, to put Kirito on the clock and try to save Asuna himself and possibly to explain a little about why Kayaba went to the extent he did to stop him and others like him from screwing with his dream castle. And I loved Suguha as a character.

13. meow says:

I actually loved the OP and ED myself. It shows off the new cast, along with a pretty good depiction of the current crisis and the struggles that need to be overcome. I wasn’t expecting it so early though. At the very least, I thought Kazuto would have to dive into ALO first. Plus the episode squeezed an awful lot of plot into it. :( Lots of flashbacks to explain Suguha’s emotional state.

First of all: why the sister?

Given what we know of Kazuto’s anti-social nature before he got trapped in SAO, I would imagine Suguha may have been the closest person to him in real life. She would be his best emotional support next to Asuna during this current crisis.

I know you guys will jump on incest the minute you notice her relationship and how big a role she seems to have in the new season but IMHO she plays a pretty good role in it and I would personally urge you to give her a chance as a character. She represents Kazuto’s old life before he got trapped in SAO. You might want to go rewatch episode 4, where Kirito talks about his relationship with Suguha. Bear in mind that she was raised never knowing Kazuto wasn’t really her brother til after he got trapped in SAO. I suspect she was told this because there would be no guarantee that Kazuto would awaken at all. 2000 players died within a month of the start of SAO so I suppose Suguha may have been living with the possibility of Kazuto dying anytime for two years. Her feelings for him would be pretty complicated, I would imagine, after he finally woke up. Add to that him having found someone important online, who was still in a coma and would constantly go visit her, etc. Seeing Kazuto broken like that may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Well, put it this way: If all was well in paradise, there wouldn’t be much of a story left to tell. ^^ If Asuna had awakened normally, even with Kayaba still missing and another 299 people still in a coma, do you think Kazuto or Asuna, a pair of students, would get involved? Well, you saw that photo at the end, right? (Yes! I knew they’d end 15 with that photo. XD) Asuna’s not out of the picture yet.

Why won’t Kirito try to contact the police on that matter?

Kazuto’s in a very weak position and recognizes it. Sugou is a close Yuuki family friend, trusted by Asuna’s father and almost betrothed to Asuna, albeit against her will. Without her conscious or any other kind of proof, there’s not a lot Kazuto can do since Sugou is responsible for keeping Asuna alive and is apparently the only one who may be able to get her to regain consciousness, since what was left of the old SAO system is now in his hands. Worse case scenario: Kazuto goes to the police, they start investigating Sugou, Sugou pulls the plug on Asuna (literally) to cover his tracks. Plus, Kazuto is pretty emotionally torn up right now. 2 months of rehab, worrying about Asuna, missing her terribly, and with no clue how to help her, etc. Sugou may have recognized this, which is why he was willing to drop that bomb on him to break him completely. It looks like it would have worked too, if not for Suguha.

• Gan_HOPE326 says:

I think that even being a family friend etc. etc., either legislation has regressed terribly in the future, or marrying an underage comatose woman without her explicit consent should be a crime regardless of how highly her father thinks of her future “husband”.

• meow says:

The episode actually covers this. He won’t actually be acknowledged as her husband but will legally adopt the family name, which will bring him great power within the family organization.

• commentOnly says:

whoa good logic and imagination i like it. Rarely seeing people with bright mind :)

14. Vince says:

Is that anything new? PSgels has his own likes and dislikes which I sometimes don’t agree with but in the end it’s all his opinions and he gives his reasons for.

What he wrote here, I agree with. So much needless meandering and introduction of new evil character #4 who’s going to be screwed within 1 minute when Kirito kicks his ass the next episode.

• meow says:

Fair enough. All I’m trying to do is point out if something could be seen in a different light cos I’m obviously seeing things from a different perspective. It’s up to you guys to decide if you like it or not.

• Mike says:

Indeed, though personally I’ve always find this to be an inherent weakness with episodic reviews, in that it tends to lend itself to speculations and complains that stems from said speculations.

• meow says:

I like Psgels’ episodic reviews though, for certain series. It’s just a place to shout out about something about that week’s episode that got to you, good or bad. And maybe speculate about the series direction. As long as there’s something about the series that makes you want to say something each episode.

Like this week, I was wondering how everyone would take Asuna’s condition. How many people saw it coming? I thought last season’s ending should have been on a hopeful note. If Kazuto made it out, Asuna should have as well. But it didn’t work out that way. How?
          Why? Is Kayaba still at it? Sugou is taking advantage of it but how? And what’s with this new MMO where Asuna appears to be trapped in? Did Kayaba make another game?

Also cool for me, was Kazuto bringing his sword skills into real life somehow. He hasn’t touched kendo since he was a kid but somehow he can go toe-to-toe with the nation’s no.8 middle school kendo practitioner while still in the middle of rehab.

• hoiut says:

“Also cool for me, was Kazuto bringing his sword skills into real life somehow.”

This was by far my favorite part of the episode. It was as intense as any boss fight in SAO (if not more so) because it felt so much more “real.” Let’s see how ultimate Kirito fares in real life if the NervGear was really as “bodily realistic” as it was claimed. And sure enough, it definitely impressed.

You know, for all of the “higher level makes you stronger” nonsense, it’s really the part I don’t like about MMORPGs in general. I’m a fan of games based more on player skill — and with NervGear, this level of “realism” can make a game a lot more fun.

This episode (well, this fight in particular) made me realize that the author has this amazing platform to build off of, and yet he chose to go down the “leveling up/grinding” path for the game. With the technology capable of such realism, make it more realistic, damn it — force Kirito to truly “get better” as a player, not “level up.”

Damn that fight was intense.

• Vince says:

My problem isn’t when people likes what they watch, it’s when they praise it like it’s a first coming and happen to overrate it too much by the time it ends. It’s bad enough the same people who watches Ghibli animation sees normal anime in a bad light.

I want the anime industry to succeed but if they keep showing stuff like this, it will never get out of its niche like game industry did. When there are so many anime too good to be faded away, typical formulaic anime comes along and ruins the already bad reputation anime industry gained. And hell, I enjoy Moe anime just as anybody but I don’t rate them all highly.

By the time it finishes, it’s going to be one of those anime to be remembered along with PMMM and it bugs me.

• Mike says:

Technically, if someone really likes a show THAT much, then you can’t really say they’re overrating it – it really is that good to them. It only becomes an issue if they started to present their own opinion as facts, which tbh is a common problem for both the fans and detractors of any show.

• Vince says:

And that is a problem. this sort of mediocrity becomes a standard. What is worse they already present their opinions as facts. Just look at **** ***** seen as a masterpiece. Well I guess at least it helps me to know there is much hardcore fanbase.

• Armpit says:

I agree people overrated this sooooo much. I mean it is pretty obvious that Accel World >>>>> SAO and Campione!>> SAO. So SAO can’t be the best ever like so many think, it is clearly only the 3rd best series ever

15. elior1 says:

about his sister you wrong she wont left out of this arc in fact she will be in all the episodes also what suguo did to asuna in this episode is nothing compard to the ugly things he will did for the rest of the episodes

16. Anon says:

I’m not a big fan of the ALO arc (which we are in now) because (a) sister/cousin drama and (b) Asuna the damsel, so I can’t even really tell you off for this overly negative post. But aside from these two points, the ALO arc is actually a straightforward adventure story (the go from point A to point B kind) and it’s pretty decent if you can bear with the angst and the drama. There’s a light at the end of this tunnel and the arc after this one is actually meaningful again and raises critical issues about PTSD as well as ties up some loose ends from SAO.

17. over_seer says:

I don’t mean to debase the course of dialogue here with a flippant remark, but this -is- from the same writer as Accel World, etc…

With the number of decent-seeming shows this season compared to the last, I don’t think it’s a loss to cut SAO if it goes to the dumps. I’ve not seen the source material, so I’m willing to keep an open mind, but I’ve not heard great things. Then again, many seem to be even less of fans of much of the first arc.

• Anon says:

AW isn’t THAT bad. Really. As for SAO, I’ve read the first ten light novels. They are actually pretty good as far as light novels go, but the author has a disposition to long info dumps, deus ex machinae, willpower beats logic, and overdramatization. But he does something right: all arcs have their individual style and deal with interesting topics like PTSD, AI rights, etc. Of course, it is a LN, so it’s all very coarse and superficial, but you can expect as much from any young adult-targetted novel in the West, too.

• Animenz says:

>long info dumps, deus ex machinae, willpower beats logic, and overdramatization.

You just summed up about everything, what makes fictional stories bad, and people are still enjoying this?

Someone care to explain this masochistic behavior to me, because – honestly – I don’t understand.

• Anon says:

It’s the characters that make SAO good for me. But it’s still a stretch to call it anything but guilty pleasure.

• commentOnly says:

i quite dont get about willpower beat logic. in my way of seeing thing i saw kirito is quite like a detective who use more brain than muscle

18. E says:

For some reason, east Asian cultures adore quiet, nice boys.

Also, it’s acceptable to marry cousins in that culture.

Lastly, think about the consequences of going to the police at this stage. He has no solid proof. She has been hidden and can be literally get deleted. The villain is likely a figurative god over her world. They will likely laugh him out their division.

Going to the police = absolute worst possible choice in this scenario.

19. meaqui says:

Things I didnt like: 1)cliched villain 2)Asuna as damsel in distress

Things I liked:
    1)the complete change of atmosphere – fasting forward 2 months to get to the cold season and thus having almost completely different colours

2)the change in the background music – contributes to the heavy atmosphere

3)the voiceacting

4)the interactions between the characters

5)the overall story (although it really was a quiet episode)

To sum it up, I liked the episode.

20. Animenz says:

Psgels, why can’t you just finally admit that SAO is a really badly written Anime?
    I’m still waiting for the day, where you’ll say: “okay I give up, this show is just bad”
    Focus on other shows, which definitely deserves more attention than SAO. It’s already hyped beyond good and evil among the animne community.

And I still can’t believe people are STILL defending this terrible show. It seems the only people who find SAO “legitimately good” are rabid fanboys, who have only watched 10+ animes in their live and don’t know shit about good story telling and proper narrative structure, and the other group of people who are defending this show are those extremely obstinate and annoying “light novel” readers, who are trying to sugarcoat every aspect of SAO.

Just give in and stop defending this show, why are you even lying to yourself, even though you know -deep inside- the show is stupid as hell?

• wa says:

I don’t consider myself as a SAO fanboy nor haven’t read the novels, but I still find the series enjoyable. Even though, I have seen 200+ different animes, I find SAO’s concept refreshing. Different tastes I guess.

• kazid1 says:

That i dont undertand is the terrible hate against the series, I dont say is the best anime ever but is prety good, it have a objetive, a solid plot it goes A to B, also whit his fast passing, and dont have the absurd´s surealism of “greats” anime shows. Is a fair show and i enyoied to much. And please can you dont put estaments of other people I have watched over 400 animes also many of the people that like the show saw the same amount, and belive me they are not fanboys or anything else, if you dont like it, dont see the show, is simply.

• commentOnly says:

all people is like that. if all people can respect, not to think negatively, self estimate and open minded this world will become heaven of life

• Avalon says:

I’ve watched 300+ anime and I still find SAO plenty enjoyable. The concept is interesting and the characters are nice. Obviously there are issues with the show, but they are not enough to completely ruin the show. Anyway, nothing I say will change your mind. You are in that dreaded mode where you believe opinion = fact.

21. Desu Chan says:

To be honest, SAO really sucked shit. Each episode was more and more depressing and yes, what animez said is correct. Those who mainly support sword art online are rabbit fanboys who 1. Do not know anything about quality anime (a.k.a main streamers). 2. I’m sure majority of you fanboys are just accepting plain major fan service and be honest here, you guys just like looking at Asuna or kirito’s sis. Waiting for “that” particular scene to happen. 3, are under peer pressure just because your friends said that this anime had good quality or whatsoever.

I can go on and on when I get my computer back but lets just get straight to the point here. Before we comment on this blog let us not judge a book by its cover. But rather judge SAO or any other anime with ANIME standards only. Sure many people have their likes and dislikes about for different anime and some try to defend their beliefs and such. But before stating your opinions, please read the blog and understand what message it is trying to deliver. This discussion is to discuss the flaws of swort art online. So before saying your wrong and I’m right bullshit just read the threat and posts and judge the anime by ANIME standards only. Not your personalized opinion about why it is good without a reason. Yes I’m referring to fanboys and ecchi lovers.

22. RABUJOI says:

The sister thing is a trope (Sugu is in fact voiced by the Oreimo girl), but it didn’t bother us as much. Here is a girl who knows the truth – Kirito is not her real brother – and sat beside his hospital bed for two years, worried that he may never wake up. It’s concievable that this is when she fell in love with him, not before: a love bourne out of fear of loss, and without him she’d be alone (we know, we’re speculating, but that’s how we saw it).

We do agree, however, that making poor Asuna – who was an awesome character – into a passive plot device at the mercy of various men (some with good intentions, others with VERY SKEEVY intentions) does her – and us – a tremendous disservice. The OP with the new game (?) in which the characters have elf ears was just sort of…there. We would have preferred no OP at all rather than a preview to future events that had zero to do with this episode’s events.

What we did like was how Kazuto’s month-long transition back to the real world has progressed. It’s cool how he still has his combat skills (though his non-kendo style throws off Sugu) and the experience makes him want to take kendo back up. His routine sword-sheathing motion was a really nice detail and a case of him still being in the game. But yeah, we’re hoping Asuna wakes up as soon as possible.

• Desu Chan says:

I’m not a fan or anything and honestly I only watched SAO because I the first episode . That’s it. I’m doing a little comparison and also posting to “test” my use of language and persuasive skills. Also I want Asuna to wake up do we can proceed with the story and not this stupidly awkward meaningless unexplained relationship between Asuna and kirito.

• kazid1 says:

Unexplained?, the both of them was nearly killed in the game, they developed feelings each other in base of the dangerous situations, and the support that each other offering in that situations. Is not that comlicated Desu Chan. the love born of simple, but powerfulls things.

• hoiut says:

“Sugu is in fact voiced by the Oreimo girl.”

Now THAT is what I call irony by proxy. I couldn’t stop laughing. How perfect! That’s quite something. The sister (potential love interest) is acted by the sister (potential love interest) in “My little sister can’t possibly be this cute!”

That’s just amazing. I am grinning right now. IRL. Hoho, well played, SAO! Well played!

23. sushiyassin55 says:

Seriously. This is worse than Persona 4 The Animation; least that series developed a wide range of characters. What the hell is this series trying to do with it’s characters, I have no idea.

• sushiyassin55 says:

Hell, least Persona 4 worked as an adaptation, which as a fan of the game was fun to watch. This…thing, just has the worst script writing since Guilty Crown aired; acts like it’s deep but ends up turning in circles and accomplishing nothing.

24. TheUltimateReaper says:

Ah. Finally watched it. Thought it was decent enough, the opening was surreal, the cousin was meh but not unbelievable, the villain was a piece of shit with lots of pull as he aught to be. I’m a bit estranged by this episode though I did enjoy it enough. I’m just waiting to see where this goes. To the people who hate this show, just give it up already, stop preaching your “master race of superior anime shows” crap. Neither you or I have a stake in the anime industry, you have nothing to do with it; in all actuality you will probably never create a story to be consumed by others in the same matter. I don’t think Asuna being trapped degrades her either, it’s not like she’s the only one. Fema-nazis might disagree, and it’s not like I like it but well, should this same thing be disallowed in any story for all of time? What purpose does that serve? Kirito can’t go the police as it was said before. Anyways, its not over yet, as long as the story has a solid conclusion, I’ll be happy to have watched it; though, a bad ending or stupid conclusion, to the likes I’ve seen before… *cough* (darker than black season 2) it will instantly earn my hate/dislike.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Not that anyone cares, on the subject of incest, scientifically speaking everyone is related to each other…. twice. Over time a klan will break into branches and eventually create very varied genes. Whether you believe in evolution or something more supernatural life was born out of “incest” a small group of common beings swapping genetics and slowly mutating or changing over time. I don’t really think incest to be that big of a deal, other than an increased risk for genetic diseases the closer the relation, scientifically it’s viable enough to continue a species and eventually balance itself out anyway. Anyways, here are common views and taboos in todays society, but in the past or even the future it might be entirely different.

• Sei says:

Well, I think you get the wrong point. Psgels, and some of us, did not actually bother with the social taboo. It’s just the portrayal of it is too common and too cliched in anime, till the point that it feels like Japanese siblings in anime could not be allowed a normal relationship. I think he is talking about it in a narrative point of view.

25. Yes says:

actually this episode sealed the deal for me. I’m dropping this crap. Ill just assumed that Asuna woke up too and they lived hapily ever after. . . the show ended after episode 14. . .time to move on now.

26. ujer says:

you guys are so harsh….yes,this show got a lot of plothole, nevertheless this show got likeable protagonist and heroine for me. I always hate the ones like naruto, bleach and beelzebub, typical shounen hero.

For me, flawed hero like rurouni kenshin and kirito is better since this will give chance for their character development and give more depth to the character.

This anime is not the greatest nevertheless good enough. Still, the villain in this arc is lame….typical villain..sigh…
    hope at least asuna will got her moment in this arc instead of just a damsel in distress…

• Avalon says:

Thank you for a comment that actually makes sense and not all this fanboy hate/love crap. I agree completely that the show is not bad, but has flaws. All the haters just don’t like how overrated it is and that just amplifies their hate for it.

• Anca says:

How is Kirito even remotely flawed?

• commentOnly says:

um.. since the anime cut most of the good part in novel. it make the mc of this anime look too perfect i think. that what make people hate this series. beside the episode of each story to short so the character development do not quite showed.

27. TheDarkLord says:

I think what needs to be remembered is that it isn’t the directors fault or the writers or w/e. They are simply following the novels as close as possible, and being that I’ve read all of them, they are spot on lol it does slow down a lot here and present quite a bit of set backs, but it will pick up

28. Argon says:

Jealous?, then don’t watch
    The anime is just beginning it’s not the end or something
    Overrated?, from your point of view? then create a poll of rating and wait until thousand of people rates this anime.
    Incest? just your imagination beyond the anime, read the light novel

^_^ too many haters/jealous in this site comparing their fav anime hahahahahaha, X_X

29. JaK says:

ahaha this is so lol xD people pissing each other off over a animu :D , if u like it u like it u cant make others hate it and if u don’t then meh like i care :3

30. Terry says:

“What the hell kind of episode was that?! No. Just, no.”

@Psgels

ROFLMAO.

31. commentOnly says:

if you already finished reading the novel til the lastest volume now. I think you will start to grasp the main story about SAO.
    Cause the story is not about the online game of SAO which is took place at aincard. but more about the software that named SAO by the mighty creator Kayaba Akihiko.

thus this kinda look like spoiler i think.

@Anon2140150 - I do. Though Shounen do have the issue of being derivative in certain aspects like power scales and several doing the FMA Brotherhood climax (of what I've watched). Also they're made to be endless. It can be intimidating jumping to one that has several seasons.
Does everyone here don't like shonen anime?
Really, if there is one piece of information (aside from otome maybe) that makes me ignore a series forever it's a LN about a LN author or illustrator. The selfinert wish fulfillment couldn't be more obvious.
Another LN greenlit for an anime production and the synopsis starts with "* is a light novel illustrator and..".
@KTravlos: I don't know why modern anime hate curly- and/or wild hair so much. The old hair style gave Reinhard a more royal look, whereas he looks like a normal highschool boy now. Not that I am complaining about the anime as a whole. Also, I like some of the new designs.
and a part of me things it is indeed the hair. It comes to low, giving Reinhard a slovenly, lazy feel. When Yang feels more energetic you know there was a mistake.
and yes, this Reinhard fares poorly in comparison to the OVA one. He is dull. I need more Yang :p
ai vay vay. The Castrop Rebellion remains waste of time. And this time it was worse. The older depiction was tacky but at least it showed Kircheis ability in a logical manner. This time I had no idea what the hell happened. It felt cheap.

The rest of the episode was ok. Not completely sold on all the renditions of imp. admirals though I still love the uniforms.
*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.
I can be nice and say of course Ryan Reynolds+ violence, comic was funnier.
@Aidan: But I'm sure if you think it over, the first deadpool was trapped in origin story mode, as an advantage, the sequel, is probably free of that.
@Aidan: Deadpool 2 had John Wicks director, which at the least means something in terms of action direction.
@Aidan: There was a whole run of deadpool issues called Cable and deadpool, which I suppose that pairing together gets the best out of the character.
Seen Deadpool 2 tonight and I have difficultly deciding if it's better or worse than Deadpool 1. Still it's quite fun and I enjoyed it.
@Anon, I feel somewhat similar in regards to Franxx. When this series finishes I won't be singing high praises for it. Yet I do feel that it's worth watching.
@Lenlo, Now I get ya. Yeah I understand that. I might even feel the same if I didn't already know the story from the VN.
@Amagi, The second film seems to be in cinema this year but we won't get it until it hits blu-ray.
@Travlos: As I expected, I am disappointed that they have held back . And you might just be right about Castrollop/Caligula/Nero, when I originally attempted to watch the show years ago, that was the episode I stopped on.
Yang really is stealing the show this time. But I wanted the "Alcohol is mankind's oldest friend" rant. I need it.
my expectation is that they will take this to the Battle of Armistar, and then the films will cover the dual civil wars etc.
...CASTROP REBELLION! Why the hell sacrifice an episode to the most useless and bad part of the original! I hated that episode. Well let us see if they can give it a better twist this time around.
The Iserlohn arc at LGOGH:NT was ok. I liked how they presented the preparations. I like the new Murai face. The music was quite good. But they did tone the violence. I expected Walter to stab the imperial officer in the neck. They have toned down the violence a lot. And I missed Seeckts "Long live the Empire" death. That said it was not bad, and I think in general it was good adaption. But....
for example, I think Darling in the franxx is pretty average, but that's not because i think it doesn't have cool shit in it or things that make it appealing; I just find that what the show tries to achieve is not that stupendous or worth lauding with praise. As a result, the flaws stick out that much more to me
@Lenlo and that's pretty much how i felt. Everything is subject to criticism; hell i criticize my most favorite things in the world because i know they're not perfect. I evaluate art and media on whether what it achieves overshadows the flaws and to what degree. Which i think is the best way to approach criticism
I want to repeat though, Heavens Feel wasn't bad. I know some people take any criticism to mean I hated it, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I just think ill appreciate/enjoy it more once the other 2 movies are also out.
@Anon, you nailed it. I couldnt describe it, but what you said /feels/ right.

And Aidan, I loved Lindsay Ellis's videos on the whole Hobbit debacle. A shame, cause the original Lord of the Rings is a landmark in film for me.
@Aidan: Do we know if the next HF movie will be finished this year?
I love how and how often they say "Fujimi no Sugimoto" in Golden Kamuy. It's pretty hype for some reason, especially when it's said by his enemies.
yea. heaven's feel is nothing like the situation with peter jackson's hobbit; this story needs this many movies and that large runtime. The thing with these heavens feel films that is probably bothering lenlo is that they feel like very long episodes and that particularly the first film felt like a giant prologue rather than a film with a beginning, middle, and end
And just to make it clear, Heavens Feel needs at least three movies to cover the entire story. It's too big for one movie.
@Lenlo, I ain't unhappy about it though. Sucks that I need to wait so long for each movie but there is higher production values as a result. Though in regards to the Hobbit I recommend watching Lindseys Eillis videos on it. As it not only talks about how it screwed the Hobbit but also how the movies screwed New Zealand.
I could never immerse myself in Tolkienistic world building.
Man, the hobbit, lord of the rings and that shit king kong film, he sold out so much , this was the man who gave me Heavenly creatures , Braindead and Feebles.
It is very beautiful indeed. And Aidan, that Hobbit metaphor made me weep for you. I hated what happened to the Hobbit
other than that; HF is a very beautiful looking film; ufotable has improved with their digital compositions...holy crap
heaven's feel seems to be embracing its more horrific elements. Aside from that, watching this film made me realize how much i prefer rin over the rest of the girls; kinda wish we got to spend a bit more time understanding Sakura's psyche in the film
@Mario: This was part of some film fest thing, ended up missing big fish Begonia though, that Chinese animated thing =<
@Mario: they'd invited him to introduce the flick.
@Mario: Had this really unexpected run in, in my nearest arthouse cinema, seeing some film about the Soviet space program , I bump into this eastern European guy, assume he's an audience member, awkwardly say something in Russian to him, turns out he's the Russian federation ambassador to Ireland.
It's sort of the hobbit situation where they chopped one book into three. Expect here we aren't getting extra fluff to pad things out. Well there are extra scenes but they are actually relevant.
Point is that in it's orignal form there are no stopping points here were you need to wait a year to continue. It was a straight story from start to finish.
Well Fate is essentially the tutorial section that introduces most of the concepts and whatnot. But even then some of the things here are explained later in Heaven's Feel. Cause yeah, not only is the Fate/Stay Night VN not supposed to be split up into three seperate things, the routes aren't supposed to be split into movies either.
Im only familiar with the UBW route, cause Ufotable
I see.
@Lenlo, In a way there is. Heaven's Feel was originally meant to be experience after the Fate and UBW routes of the VN. That the thing Fate/Stay Night has struggled with. It's not meant to be split up into three like this. It's originally supposed to be three parts of a whole. Each route complementing another.
Nayrael
And so am I

Hisone no Masotan – 06 [I’ll Shout Your Name]

At one point during this episode I almost felt that Hoshino was just too overboard. Being stubborn is one thing, but when you’re too stubborn you outright hurt others’ feeling without backing down, it’s irritating to watch. The issue with Hoshino, as we come to learn during the flashback, is that piloting an F2 has […]

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Darling in the Franxx – 17[Eden]

Indeed Franxx appears to be doubling down on a darker more serious tone though I still am wondering if it will truly follow through on this or dismiss it fast and go full on happy ending. Personally I always feel cheated when a series foreshadows dark things to come only to turn tail when it’s […]

Megalo Box – 6 [Until the Last Dog Dies]

Alright, Megalo Box was a series of highs and lows this week and I don’t want to waste time with a preamble. So this week, lets speed things up and just jump in! To start off, the big showpiece of this week is the Aragaki vs Joe fight. We will get to its place in […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]