Posted by psgels on 14 October 2012 with categories: Sword Art Online

What the hell kind of episode was that?! No. Just, no. I’m beginning to fear that this series is heading in a very unpleasant direction here…

First of all: why the sister? Yeah, I know that she’s not a sister and actually a cousin and all, but that makes it even worse: it’s the same kind of twist you see pulled in all of those other bloody incest shows in order to pretend that it’s supposedly “okay”. I mean dear god: anime creators: most siblings out there can get along with each other just fine without any romance, you know? Why does every show with a brother and sister have to have romance between them!?

Second of all, you actually did it. I so kept hoping for the creators not to do it after all that sappy build-up but instead of killing off Asuna, she was just put on a bus. Completely changed from a strong female character to a plot device to get Kirito back playing the game, and she seems to be reduced to a trophy that he needs to save. So much for feminism there.

What’s even worse though was that completely unpleasant and nonsensical marriage subplot that was thrown in. I mean holy crap, what kind of sense does that make? Why won’t Kirito try to contact the police on that matter? I know that technically it can make sense, but it’s a completely disrespectful twist on Asuna’s part. Not to mention, how the OP treats her, shoving some kind of weird elf in her place.
Rating: 3/8 (Enjoyable)

1. Cytl says:

I actually feel that the brother complex theme is being handled in a good way (specially for this show’s standards) this time, it being an overused trope is a different matter to me. Unfortunately the main conflict is unbearably corny and, if the studio decided to butcher the first side-stories of the show, the could at least have toned down how lame the villain was in this episode.

2. Ransom says:

Well, some people might not like the typical “knight in a white horse rescuing the princess” plot, but I kind of find this second arc of the novels way more enjoyable and consistent than the first one. As to Suguha liking Kirito, their dynamic is better explained in the novels, but alas, no much time in the anime to explain this subplot…

Below is my way of seeing Kazuto and Suguha relation MIGHT BE MINOR SPOILERS SO BEWARE…

Kazuto and Suguha relation dynamic in my opinion it’s neither good nor bad, their relation is far away from incest though: Kirito and Suguha actually were not really close as siblings at all before the SAO incident, they were more like two strangers living in the same house, Kirito kind of distanced himself from her after finding he was adopted, plus there was a problem with their Grandfather concerning kendo(If I remember correctly their grandfather was a Kendo dojo owner), which made Kirito keep his distance from Suguha even more, and made him get inmerced in online gamming, After the SAO incident, Suguha learned that they were not related, figured out that she actually didn’t know him at all, and tried to close the gap in their siblings relation by trying to learn a little bit more about Kazuto’s way of seeing the world, this, coupled with the fact that Kazuto came back as a more mature and an overall different individual made her see him in a different light, and develop a sort of crush on him. Anyway, Kirito has eyes only for Asuna, so we all know she’s going to get rejected in the end.

Now concerning Kazuto and Sugou… Please consider the following. You as a parent of a comatose girl have your “trusted” family friend, which you have known for years, both him and the rest of his family on one hand, and on the other, you have this high school kid that “claims” that he was your dauther’s boyfriend in game. I´m saying “claim” as there was no way to know what was going on in SAO other than the words from the people trapped in there and some specullations based on biometrics and some other statistics that I don’t remember. Anyway, who will you most willing to believe in? I’m actually find that very plausible. Sugou has been fooling Asuna’s family for a while now keeping his “great prospect” facade, he is a “succesful member of socity” in general, and Kazuto is just a highschooler that spent two years of his life in a hospital… Come on!! The plot is not that far fetched :)

• TheDarkLord says:

I 100% agree with you, seeing that I’ve read the novels as well. This second arc is much easier to follow once begun b/c the one week time constraint sugou puts on kazuto, so we wont see the few month skips like the first arc.

3. Obvious Dude says:

Psgels, I think SAO is heading into a different VMMORPG. When you watch the OP, it looks like different world that isn’t SAO.

4. wicked says:

Cousin thing, not that big of deal in Japan, not really a twist. People naturally call slightly older relatives and friends there big brother or big sister, not really meant to be an incest circumvent all the time. This is the same as you misunderstanding Chitose being incest because she called the guy Onii-chan.

5. Toki says:

I remember that during the whole series I heard several otakus complaining and wondering what was happening in real life. They were in the hospital? How did they eat? As they defecated? This episode seemed like the director’s response. You want real life, so take it! It is so breathtaking as a Mexican soap opera. No more perfect houses on the lakes, no more virgin brides and chaste grooms… and no more advanced fighting system. Just real life.

• TheDarkLord says:

Haha true a lot of people were asking. I think Reki Kawahara was trying to get through the “what was happening in real life?” question with the beginning of his second novel, which he did very well. This episode did portray it correctly. your question on defecate….well in the novel it is explained that the people are on super state of the art antibacterial gel beds that are apparently supposed to absorb excrements? was touched on a bit, so he did give an idea on how it was done lol didnt really look like that in the episode though

6. TheUltimateReaper says:

Dear god I have so much catching up to do. Psgels I hope you’re not complaining nonsensically again, I feel you overreact at times. Well I have yet to watch this so I don’t really know.

• AidanAK47 says:

To be fair, Reaper you have horrible taste which leads you to disagree with Psgels more often than not.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

My taste isn’t horrible, I love everything as long as it’s good. In fact I like many of the series psgels and others here have liked, but unlike the lot of those people I also like things they didn’t like. I’m the same with music. Why not enjoy as many things as possible?

• Mr. Mestopheles says:

The “horrible taste” part is that you chimed in before watching the episode only to complain about the writer. Perhaps “in horrible taste” would be a better description.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

That hardly makes sense, and I said “I hope” and I “don’t really know” This is what I mean by overreacting; at any rate, I respect psgels opinion despite any differences between us, otherwise I wouldn’t be here

• Vicious says:

Having a portrait of the Prince of Nonsense as an avatar is a statement of bad taste (or lack of it and just going with the flow aka mainstream for the sake of it) IMHO.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Nonsense my ass.
            Don’t even get me started on what I think of personality types that hate the Mastermind, which was likely the same of at least one of the creators/writers. Same reason so many poeple hated Yagami and his beliefs, excuse me for loving both mainstream and non mainstream, sorry I’m not a hipster with convoluted ideas about how reality and life actually works. I’ve lived around the world and been on the brink of death more than once, I’ve seen insanity and illogical story telling of reality all of my life. Wake up and smell the beans man. I’m willing to bet most people didn’t realize half of the crap CG was making statements about.

• Vicious says:

Yeah, try to make sense of one of the action of the Prince of Nonsense.
          Try to justify the twisted nonsense of a plot, specially in the second season.
          Tell me what were Nunnaly, or Shirley, if not only lame plot devices and nothing else.
          Oh, that series was colorful bullshit, nothing else.
          And hipster my ass, I know many people that says mainstream equals good, and also many people that says mainstreams equals bullshit, both of them are quite wrong, bullshit equals bullshit and thats all to it, from wherever it comes no matter how mainstream or not it is.

• Vicious says:

Meh. You take out the fun of it.
          I would want to still discuss about Code Geass, trying to find what people find witty about that plot, but that’s going -way- offtopic. So, maybe in another place, in another time.

7. Armpit says:

Bestest anime ever. All these haters just be jealous!!!!!

8. AidanAK47 says:

I find it amusing at how the OP treats Asuna. Just looking at it gives the impression that Kirito is just going to completely ditch Asuna for the sister.
    And it doesn’t end there…the next arc also completely pushes Asuna and the sister aside for a new girl….it annoys me. So much.

• wicked says:

don’t hate the playa, hate the game

ahhh stupid puns….

• meow says:

I wonder if it’s intentional to keep the audience guessing about how the story will turn out.

I always felt Suguha to be the new protagonist in Fairy Dance. Unlike Asuna, who is a supporting character to Kirito’s story, this is Suguha’s story about how she reconnects with Kazuto. A huge part of the story will be told in her perspective.

9. Anca says:

Thank you, Kirito! But your damsel is in another castle!

10. Armpit says:

I neverz thoughts thatz an anime culd ever been so much brilliant. Thankz yuz Japans four give us this masterpeece thats will truley be remembered threwout histories

11. Kurini says:

I agree with you Psgels!
    I’m also very disappointed in the OP…

12. Scruffy says:

While with the previous arc SAO was enjoyable (as long as you didn’t look too hard for the plot holes) unfortunately this arc is just REALLY bad. It has the lamest excuse for a villain ever and unfortunately it just gets worse. It’s like a plot from a bad NTR doujinshi.

The later novels are actually not bad although they still do tend to follow the tend of Kirito collecting his harem. It just is a huge pity that volumes 3 and 4 exist.

• meow says:

I get what you mean about Sugou but I also get why they created someone like him as a plot device, to put Kirito on the clock and try to save Asuna himself and possibly to explain a little about why Kayaba went to the extent he did to stop him and others like him from screwing with his dream castle. And I loved Suguha as a character.

13. meow says:

I actually loved the OP and ED myself. It shows off the new cast, along with a pretty good depiction of the current crisis and the struggles that need to be overcome. I wasn’t expecting it so early though. At the very least, I thought Kazuto would have to dive into ALO first. Plus the episode squeezed an awful lot of plot into it. :( Lots of flashbacks to explain Suguha’s emotional state.

First of all: why the sister?

Given what we know of Kazuto’s anti-social nature before he got trapped in SAO, I would imagine Suguha may have been the closest person to him in real life. She would be his best emotional support next to Asuna during this current crisis.

I know you guys will jump on incest the minute you notice her relationship and how big a role she seems to have in the new season but IMHO she plays a pretty good role in it and I would personally urge you to give her a chance as a character. She represents Kazuto’s old life before he got trapped in SAO. You might want to go rewatch episode 4, where Kirito talks about his relationship with Suguha. Bear in mind that she was raised never knowing Kazuto wasn’t really her brother til after he got trapped in SAO. I suspect she was told this because there would be no guarantee that Kazuto would awaken at all. 2000 players died within a month of the start of SAO so I suppose Suguha may have been living with the possibility of Kazuto dying anytime for two years. Her feelings for him would be pretty complicated, I would imagine, after he finally woke up. Add to that him having found someone important online, who was still in a coma and would constantly go visit her, etc. Seeing Kazuto broken like that may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Well, put it this way: If all was well in paradise, there wouldn’t be much of a story left to tell. ^^ If Asuna had awakened normally, even with Kayaba still missing and another 299 people still in a coma, do you think Kazuto or Asuna, a pair of students, would get involved? Well, you saw that photo at the end, right? (Yes! I knew they’d end 15 with that photo. XD) Asuna’s not out of the picture yet.

Why won’t Kirito try to contact the police on that matter?

Kazuto’s in a very weak position and recognizes it. Sugou is a close Yuuki family friend, trusted by Asuna’s father and almost betrothed to Asuna, albeit against her will. Without her conscious or any other kind of proof, there’s not a lot Kazuto can do since Sugou is responsible for keeping Asuna alive and is apparently the only one who may be able to get her to regain consciousness, since what was left of the old SAO system is now in his hands. Worse case scenario: Kazuto goes to the police, they start investigating Sugou, Sugou pulls the plug on Asuna (literally) to cover his tracks. Plus, Kazuto is pretty emotionally torn up right now. 2 months of rehab, worrying about Asuna, missing her terribly, and with no clue how to help her, etc. Sugou may have recognized this, which is why he was willing to drop that bomb on him to break him completely. It looks like it would have worked too, if not for Suguha.

• Gan_HOPE326 says:

I think that even being a family friend etc. etc., either legislation has regressed terribly in the future, or marrying an underage comatose woman without her explicit consent should be a crime regardless of how highly her father thinks of her future “husband”.

• meow says:

The episode actually covers this. He won’t actually be acknowledged as her husband but will legally adopt the family name, which will bring him great power within the family organization.

• commentOnly says:

whoa good logic and imagination i like it. Rarely seeing people with bright mind :)

14. Vince says:

Is that anything new? PSgels has his own likes and dislikes which I sometimes don’t agree with but in the end it’s all his opinions and he gives his reasons for.

What he wrote here, I agree with. So much needless meandering and introduction of new evil character #4 who’s going to be screwed within 1 minute when Kirito kicks his ass the next episode.

• meow says:

Fair enough. All I’m trying to do is point out if something could be seen in a different light cos I’m obviously seeing things from a different perspective. It’s up to you guys to decide if you like it or not.

• Mike says:

Indeed, though personally I’ve always find this to be an inherent weakness with episodic reviews, in that it tends to lend itself to speculations and complains that stems from said speculations.

• meow says:

I like Psgels’ episodic reviews though, for certain series. It’s just a place to shout out about something about that week’s episode that got to you, good or bad. And maybe speculate about the series direction. As long as there’s something about the series that makes you want to say something each episode.

Like this week, I was wondering how everyone would take Asuna’s condition. How many people saw it coming? I thought last season’s ending should have been on a hopeful note. If Kazuto made it out, Asuna should have as well. But it didn’t work out that way. How?
          Why? Is Kayaba still at it? Sugou is taking advantage of it but how? And what’s with this new MMO where Asuna appears to be trapped in? Did Kayaba make another game?

Also cool for me, was Kazuto bringing his sword skills into real life somehow. He hasn’t touched kendo since he was a kid but somehow he can go toe-to-toe with the nation’s no.8 middle school kendo practitioner while still in the middle of rehab.

• hoiut says:

“Also cool for me, was Kazuto bringing his sword skills into real life somehow.”

This was by far my favorite part of the episode. It was as intense as any boss fight in SAO (if not more so) because it felt so much more “real.” Let’s see how ultimate Kirito fares in real life if the NervGear was really as “bodily realistic” as it was claimed. And sure enough, it definitely impressed.

You know, for all of the “higher level makes you stronger” nonsense, it’s really the part I don’t like about MMORPGs in general. I’m a fan of games based more on player skill — and with NervGear, this level of “realism” can make a game a lot more fun.

This episode (well, this fight in particular) made me realize that the author has this amazing platform to build off of, and yet he chose to go down the “leveling up/grinding” path for the game. With the technology capable of such realism, make it more realistic, damn it — force Kirito to truly “get better” as a player, not “level up.”

Damn that fight was intense.

• Vince says:

My problem isn’t when people likes what they watch, it’s when they praise it like it’s a first coming and happen to overrate it too much by the time it ends. It’s bad enough the same people who watches Ghibli animation sees normal anime in a bad light.

I want the anime industry to succeed but if they keep showing stuff like this, it will never get out of its niche like game industry did. When there are so many anime too good to be faded away, typical formulaic anime comes along and ruins the already bad reputation anime industry gained. And hell, I enjoy Moe anime just as anybody but I don’t rate them all highly.

By the time it finishes, it’s going to be one of those anime to be remembered along with PMMM and it bugs me.

• Mike says:

Technically, if someone really likes a show THAT much, then you can’t really say they’re overrating it – it really is that good to them. It only becomes an issue if they started to present their own opinion as facts, which tbh is a common problem for both the fans and detractors of any show.

• Vince says:

And that is a problem. this sort of mediocrity becomes a standard. What is worse they already present their opinions as facts. Just look at **** ***** seen as a masterpiece. Well I guess at least it helps me to know there is much hardcore fanbase.

• Armpit says:

I agree people overrated this sooooo much. I mean it is pretty obvious that Accel World >>>>> SAO and Campione!>> SAO. So SAO can’t be the best ever like so many think, it is clearly only the 3rd best series ever

15. elior1 says:

about his sister you wrong she wont left out of this arc in fact she will be in all the episodes also what suguo did to asuna in this episode is nothing compard to the ugly things he will did for the rest of the episodes

16. Anon says:

I’m not a big fan of the ALO arc (which we are in now) because (a) sister/cousin drama and (b) Asuna the damsel, so I can’t even really tell you off for this overly negative post. But aside from these two points, the ALO arc is actually a straightforward adventure story (the go from point A to point B kind) and it’s pretty decent if you can bear with the angst and the drama. There’s a light at the end of this tunnel and the arc after this one is actually meaningful again and raises critical issues about PTSD as well as ties up some loose ends from SAO.

17. over_seer says:

I don’t mean to debase the course of dialogue here with a flippant remark, but this -is- from the same writer as Accel World, etc…

With the number of decent-seeming shows this season compared to the last, I don’t think it’s a loss to cut SAO if it goes to the dumps. I’ve not seen the source material, so I’m willing to keep an open mind, but I’ve not heard great things. Then again, many seem to be even less of fans of much of the first arc.

• Anon says:

AW isn’t THAT bad. Really. As for SAO, I’ve read the first ten light novels. They are actually pretty good as far as light novels go, but the author has a disposition to long info dumps, deus ex machinae, willpower beats logic, and overdramatization. But he does something right: all arcs have their individual style and deal with interesting topics like PTSD, AI rights, etc. Of course, it is a LN, so it’s all very coarse and superficial, but you can expect as much from any young adult-targetted novel in the West, too.

• Animenz says:

>long info dumps, deus ex machinae, willpower beats logic, and overdramatization.

You just summed up about everything, what makes fictional stories bad, and people are still enjoying this?

Someone care to explain this masochistic behavior to me, because – honestly – I don’t understand.

• Anon says:

It’s the characters that make SAO good for me. But it’s still a stretch to call it anything but guilty pleasure.

• commentOnly says:

i quite dont get about willpower beat logic. in my way of seeing thing i saw kirito is quite like a detective who use more brain than muscle

18. E says:

For some reason, east Asian cultures adore quiet, nice boys.

Also, it’s acceptable to marry cousins in that culture.

Lastly, think about the consequences of going to the police at this stage. He has no solid proof. She has been hidden and can be literally get deleted. The villain is likely a figurative god over her world. They will likely laugh him out their division.

Going to the police = absolute worst possible choice in this scenario.

19. meaqui says:

Things I didnt like: 1)cliched villain 2)Asuna as damsel in distress

Things I liked:
    1)the complete change of atmosphere – fasting forward 2 months to get to the cold season and thus having almost completely different colours

2)the change in the background music – contributes to the heavy atmosphere

3)the voiceacting

4)the interactions between the characters

5)the overall story (although it really was a quiet episode)

To sum it up, I liked the episode.

20. Animenz says:

Psgels, why can’t you just finally admit that SAO is a really badly written Anime?
    I’m still waiting for the day, where you’ll say: “okay I give up, this show is just bad”
    Focus on other shows, which definitely deserves more attention than SAO. It’s already hyped beyond good and evil among the animne community.

And I still can’t believe people are STILL defending this terrible show. It seems the only people who find SAO “legitimately good” are rabid fanboys, who have only watched 10+ animes in their live and don’t know shit about good story telling and proper narrative structure, and the other group of people who are defending this show are those extremely obstinate and annoying “light novel” readers, who are trying to sugarcoat every aspect of SAO.

Just give in and stop defending this show, why are you even lying to yourself, even though you know -deep inside- the show is stupid as hell?

• wa says:

I don’t consider myself as a SAO fanboy nor haven’t read the novels, but I still find the series enjoyable. Even though, I have seen 200+ different animes, I find SAO’s concept refreshing. Different tastes I guess.

• kazid1 says:

That i dont undertand is the terrible hate against the series, I dont say is the best anime ever but is prety good, it have a objetive, a solid plot it goes A to B, also whit his fast passing, and dont have the absurd´s surealism of “greats” anime shows. Is a fair show and i enyoied to much. And please can you dont put estaments of other people I have watched over 400 animes also many of the people that like the show saw the same amount, and belive me they are not fanboys or anything else, if you dont like it, dont see the show, is simply.

• commentOnly says:

all people is like that. if all people can respect, not to think negatively, self estimate and open minded this world will become heaven of life

• Avalon says:

I’ve watched 300+ anime and I still find SAO plenty enjoyable. The concept is interesting and the characters are nice. Obviously there are issues with the show, but they are not enough to completely ruin the show. Anyway, nothing I say will change your mind. You are in that dreaded mode where you believe opinion = fact.

21. Desu Chan says:

To be honest, SAO really sucked shit. Each episode was more and more depressing and yes, what animez said is correct. Those who mainly support sword art online are rabbit fanboys who 1. Do not know anything about quality anime (a.k.a main streamers). 2. I’m sure majority of you fanboys are just accepting plain major fan service and be honest here, you guys just like looking at Asuna or kirito’s sis. Waiting for “that” particular scene to happen. 3, are under peer pressure just because your friends said that this anime had good quality or whatsoever.

I can go on and on when I get my computer back but lets just get straight to the point here. Before we comment on this blog let us not judge a book by its cover. But rather judge SAO or any other anime with ANIME standards only. Sure many people have their likes and dislikes about for different anime and some try to defend their beliefs and such. But before stating your opinions, please read the blog and understand what message it is trying to deliver. This discussion is to discuss the flaws of swort art online. So before saying your wrong and I’m right bullshit just read the threat and posts and judge the anime by ANIME standards only. Not your personalized opinion about why it is good without a reason. Yes I’m referring to fanboys and ecchi lovers.

22. RABUJOI says:

The sister thing is a trope (Sugu is in fact voiced by the Oreimo girl), but it didn’t bother us as much. Here is a girl who knows the truth – Kirito is not her real brother – and sat beside his hospital bed for two years, worried that he may never wake up. It’s concievable that this is when she fell in love with him, not before: a love bourne out of fear of loss, and without him she’d be alone (we know, we’re speculating, but that’s how we saw it).

We do agree, however, that making poor Asuna – who was an awesome character – into a passive plot device at the mercy of various men (some with good intentions, others with VERY SKEEVY intentions) does her – and us – a tremendous disservice. The OP with the new game (?) in which the characters have elf ears was just sort of…there. We would have preferred no OP at all rather than a preview to future events that had zero to do with this episode’s events.

What we did like was how Kazuto’s month-long transition back to the real world has progressed. It’s cool how he still has his combat skills (though his non-kendo style throws off Sugu) and the experience makes him want to take kendo back up. His routine sword-sheathing motion was a really nice detail and a case of him still being in the game. But yeah, we’re hoping Asuna wakes up as soon as possible.

• Desu Chan says:

I’m not a fan or anything and honestly I only watched SAO because I the first episode . That’s it. I’m doing a little comparison and also posting to “test” my use of language and persuasive skills. Also I want Asuna to wake up do we can proceed with the story and not this stupidly awkward meaningless unexplained relationship between Asuna and kirito.

• kazid1 says:

Unexplained?, the both of them was nearly killed in the game, they developed feelings each other in base of the dangerous situations, and the support that each other offering in that situations. Is not that comlicated Desu Chan. the love born of simple, but powerfulls things.

• hoiut says:

“Sugu is in fact voiced by the Oreimo girl.”

Now THAT is what I call irony by proxy. I couldn’t stop laughing. How perfect! That’s quite something. The sister (potential love interest) is acted by the sister (potential love interest) in “My little sister can’t possibly be this cute!”

That’s just amazing. I am grinning right now. IRL. Hoho, well played, SAO! Well played!

23. sushiyassin55 says:

Seriously. This is worse than Persona 4 The Animation; least that series developed a wide range of characters. What the hell is this series trying to do with it’s characters, I have no idea.

• sushiyassin55 says:

Hell, least Persona 4 worked as an adaptation, which as a fan of the game was fun to watch. This…thing, just has the worst script writing since Guilty Crown aired; acts like it’s deep but ends up turning in circles and accomplishing nothing.

24. TheUltimateReaper says:

Ah. Finally watched it. Thought it was decent enough, the opening was surreal, the cousin was meh but not unbelievable, the villain was a piece of shit with lots of pull as he aught to be. I’m a bit estranged by this episode though I did enjoy it enough. I’m just waiting to see where this goes. To the people who hate this show, just give it up already, stop preaching your “master race of superior anime shows” crap. Neither you or I have a stake in the anime industry, you have nothing to do with it; in all actuality you will probably never create a story to be consumed by others in the same matter. I don’t think Asuna being trapped degrades her either, it’s not like she’s the only one. Fema-nazis might disagree, and it’s not like I like it but well, should this same thing be disallowed in any story for all of time? What purpose does that serve? Kirito can’t go the police as it was said before. Anyways, its not over yet, as long as the story has a solid conclusion, I’ll be happy to have watched it; though, a bad ending or stupid conclusion, to the likes I’ve seen before… *cough* (darker than black season 2) it will instantly earn my hate/dislike.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Not that anyone cares, on the subject of incest, scientifically speaking everyone is related to each other…. twice. Over time a klan will break into branches and eventually create very varied genes. Whether you believe in evolution or something more supernatural life was born out of “incest” a small group of common beings swapping genetics and slowly mutating or changing over time. I don’t really think incest to be that big of a deal, other than an increased risk for genetic diseases the closer the relation, scientifically it’s viable enough to continue a species and eventually balance itself out anyway. Anyways, here are common views and taboos in todays society, but in the past or even the future it might be entirely different.

• Sei says:

Well, I think you get the wrong point. Psgels, and some of us, did not actually bother with the social taboo. It’s just the portrayal of it is too common and too cliched in anime, till the point that it feels like Japanese siblings in anime could not be allowed a normal relationship. I think he is talking about it in a narrative point of view.

25. Yes says:

actually this episode sealed the deal for me. I’m dropping this crap. Ill just assumed that Asuna woke up too and they lived hapily ever after. . . the show ended after episode 14. . .time to move on now.

26. ujer says:

you guys are so harsh….yes,this show got a lot of plothole, nevertheless this show got likeable protagonist and heroine for me. I always hate the ones like naruto, bleach and beelzebub, typical shounen hero.

For me, flawed hero like rurouni kenshin and kirito is better since this will give chance for their character development and give more depth to the character.

This anime is not the greatest nevertheless good enough. Still, the villain in this arc is lame….typical villain..sigh…
    hope at least asuna will got her moment in this arc instead of just a damsel in distress…

• Avalon says:

Thank you for a comment that actually makes sense and not all this fanboy hate/love crap. I agree completely that the show is not bad, but has flaws. All the haters just don’t like how overrated it is and that just amplifies their hate for it.

• Anca says:

How is Kirito even remotely flawed?

• commentOnly says:

um.. since the anime cut most of the good part in novel. it make the mc of this anime look too perfect i think. that what make people hate this series. beside the episode of each story to short so the character development do not quite showed.

27. TheDarkLord says:

I think what needs to be remembered is that it isn’t the directors fault or the writers or w/e. They are simply following the novels as close as possible, and being that I’ve read all of them, they are spot on lol it does slow down a lot here and present quite a bit of set backs, but it will pick up

28. Argon says:

Jealous?, then don’t watch
    The anime is just beginning it’s not the end or something
    Overrated?, from your point of view? then create a poll of rating and wait until thousand of people rates this anime.
    Incest? just your imagination beyond the anime, read the light novel

^_^ too many haters/jealous in this site comparing their fav anime hahahahahaha, X_X

29. JaK says:

ahaha this is so lol xD people pissing each other off over a animu :D , if u like it u like it u cant make others hate it and if u don’t then meh like i care :3

30. Terry says:

“What the hell kind of episode was that?! No. Just, no.”

@Psgels

ROFLMAO.

31. commentOnly says:

if you already finished reading the novel til the lastest volume now. I think you will start to grasp the main story about SAO.
    Cause the story is not about the online game of SAO which is took place at aincard. but more about the software that named SAO by the mighty creator Kayaba Akihiko.

thus this kinda look like spoiler i think.

I would have prefered it if the magical beings were weird looking instead of all of them being beautiful sameface humans. Also the special role of Chise and how everyone gets alured by her give me strong otome vibes and I am really not a fan of this gerne
@Lenlo/KT same here. It's just that AMB can't come even close to Inu, Shuumatsu or Houseki. I am no a fan of the pacing and the rest is basically just fantasy.
Was worried there for a moment thinking sangatsu no lion was ending next week, turns out season 2 is 22 episodes afterall.
Yeah KT, watching the two together has not come out favorably for AMB for me.
I believe it works better in hellsing and drifters moreso to both being goofball action shows.
A point on the chibi in AMB. I was thinking about shows were the chibi did not bother me, and Hellsing Ultimate and Drifters (newest episodes coming out), both had deformed/chibi segments. For some reason they did not bother me. I think ABM directors have bad timing with them.
I have to say Ichirou Inuyashiki is very cool. Like he is really a cool character. Also I am saddened to say it but watching AMB together with Inuyashuki does not work well for AMB
@Silver: There are sad moments certainly but plenty of humour.
Man, I sure hope Ichirou Inuyashiki and Hiro Shishigami make out, everything is just building up to that
silver
I actually have only watched one or two episodes of this season of 3-gatsu, but its rising scores and rave reviews are making me really excited! I've only put it off because it's somewhat emotionally tiring for me
@Kaiser: Well, after the first season of 3-gatsu ended, I did skim ahead to this bullying arc so I already know this is going to be powerful, yet the anime still wow me over and over
Also it can be tricky selecting a season sequel since some old series had like 50 to 100 episodes, what counted as a season then?
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It's more common in videogames (especially Capcom) than in other mediums. Megaman 2, RE 2, Street Fighter 2, Dino Crisis 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.
Actually in a rarity, a sequel season is better than the first.
Which makes my enjoyment of sangatsu so strange.
And I generally do not like game/sports orientated shows.
That you slightlySuper-erMario and superwooper!
And my reaction to the show is such, that I enjoyed it enough to make such a huge pot about it.
Also I want Akari to be my mom and Hina is adorable without being annoyingly so and Kana Hanazawa is doing a good job voicing her.

And whoever said it is right, the op/ed songs are worth listening to, for once I’m not skipping them.
At this point it feels as if by the end of the series I’ll come off it thinking that I don’t want to say goodbye to these characters.
I don’t think as of just yet it complete lives up to honey and clovers legacy though.
I never cared about Harunobu initially, but recent episodes have changed this.
Dull parts of the manga are easier to get through for me in the anime due to Shaft elevating the material with one of the better uses of their visual gimmicks.
Giving the series another chance, even though I won’t fully embrace the humour, it does now and then manage to make me laugh a little.
The bullying arc centering on Hina and the shows treatment of it is better than most anime bullying stories and has provided the most emotionally rewarding aspect of the show.
Characters that are assholes like Kyouko’s boyfriend, Kyouko herself I’m finding somewhat more sympathetic and want to see more to their personal drama.
However I do genuinely think that the series does a good job of allowing dramatic moments to creep up on the viewer, that early scene of Hina crying over her mother, Rei’s family flashbacks, Akari’s concerns about Hina/the stuff with her dad, all the scenes with Kyouko do carry an effective and solid dramatic weight to them.
I feel it starts very strong, making a great first impression, then kind of has these dull moments that make it sort of a slog at times to get through, unfortunately I have no interest in chess/shougi and no knowledge the show tries to give me is going to stick or allow me to embrace that.
Through jumping back and forth between the anime and manga, I can say I have no caught up to where I will now watch March comes like a lion on a weekly basis.
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki
Mmmmmm the suffering of all those innocent people feeding his God boner, this is why I love Inuyashiki
Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Niello
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100