Posted by psgels on 15 October 2012 with categories: K

… as for the reason why I picked this series over Code Breaker… ehehehe. It was to avoid a certain… problem. Allow me to elaborate:
– Sword Art Online: 25 episodes. Will end next December.
– Kamisama Hajimemashita: 7 DVDs, so will probably have 13 episodes.
– Hunter X Hunter: with the ratings it’s getting there is no way that Madhouse will cancel it after the Yorkshin arc
– Space Brothers: everything looks like this will be 50 episodes long.
– From the New World: 25 episodes.
– Zetsuen no Tempest: episode count not yet known, but there is no way Bones will make this just one season long.
– Magi: is on the prime time slot. There’s no way that this will be 1 cour.
– Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: 8 DVDs, so longer than 1 cour.
– Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: 8 DVDs, so longer than 1 cour.
– Psycho Pass: 22 episodes.
– Robotics;Notes: 22 episodes.
– K: 13 episodes.

Are you starting to see the problem here? I mean, it’s awesome to have all these long series and all, but I’m going to have a huge problem in about three months from now. Especially considering that Chihayafuru’s second season will debut next season. If I ended up swapping SAO with Little Busters, then without K I would be unable to blog any new show for the upcoming winter season! Especially considering how many of them are set to deliver in their second halves! And even without this: the people saying that this season is too big: prepare youselves, because unless the upcoming winter is completely terrible, it will be completely crazy with all the continuing shows!

So, K. Granted, it lacks a bit of depth to some of the other shows this season, but it is the series with the best animation of the series, and it’s just very fun to watch. Compared to the other show with amazing graphics this season, Shin Sekai Yori, the animation may be less varied, but it’s also more consistently gorgeous. Shin Sekai Yori has parts that look just simple. In this show, every scene looks great. Gohands are a studio that tend to abuse CG lighting a bit too much, but it’s great to see how much movement the creators managed to put into this series considering that it’s just a TV-series. Also, when characters move in this series, they move with their entire bodies, rather than just turning or looking up in simple ways.

This episode had much fewer characters than the first episode, but the cat and mouse game (pun half intended) between the sword guy and the white-haired guy and the cat who suddenly turned into a naked girl was a lot of fun to watch. That kind of snarkiness is by the way something that Jormungand can learn a lot from: The characters are having fun, and there are definitely a few snarkers here, but there is much more to their charcters than that and there are many characters who are completely different. The question for this show will be: will this just remain a fun show to watch, or will there be more?

Most of the details in this show go to its settings. I mostly mean with how well it’s drawn and animated. The moving backgrounds of last episode were a treat, but also the detail it puts in the houses and building. This episode also animated some delicious looking food; I especially like that scene of the spring onions being cut. That looks so hard to do right.

Also, props to the music department! This episode also showed some insert songs, which I tend to appreciate provided that they’re not used for crappy montage scenes. I mean really: Psycho Pass, From the New World, Jojo, Zetsuen no Tempest, K: all shows with awesome soundtracks this season. Talk about a treat!
Rating: 5/8 (Great)

1. Bunny says:

Again……….WTF!

2. sushiyassin55 says:

Haha, this is an amazing season, I’ll give you that much psgels. No doubt, this is the best fall season we’ve seen in years :).

3. Daniel says:

Amazing show, how do you know that Magi is on the Prime Time Slot?

4. hikari says:

Zetsuen no tempest is rumoured to be 2 coeur by one of the producers but let’s just see the BD/DVD solicitation to make sure of it and we’re probably going to get original anime ending if indeed it’s 2 coeur.
    Jojo is 26ep w/ 9 BD/DVD released, it’s already been confirmed that they’re going to animate until part 2 or The Battle Tendency arc. Sakurasou is 24 eps and its going to end together w/ the light novel next year ala Toradora so we’re definetely going to get a real ending unlike your usual open/cut ending ala ongoing/unfinished sereis based on ongoing manga/LN.
    Magi is already confirmed for 25/26eps and they’re going to animate until the Balbad arc and it’s on MBS/TBS Nichigo slot(prime time slot)where previously belong to Gundam Age, AoE, FMA, FMA-B, Gundam Seed, etc.
    Oh..btw Psgels, Code Breaker is also slated for 13 eps since there’s 7 BD/DVD confirmed and Sukitte is also going to be 13 eps from what I read on the forum, I haven’t check it yet.

• KaZuHiRo says:

What?! They’re not gonna do any justice on Code:Breaker if it’s only 13 episodes long! For god’s sake, the manga is 100+ chapters already! Will there be a second cour? What a wasted potential!

5. Kamen Grinder says:

“What the fuck did I just watched?” sums it up pretty well.
    That’s not a compliment.

6. kazid1 says:

Is a shame, Code breker for me is far more interesting than K, The second chapeter gime chills this is a great anti hero show. But is your likes Pgels. Good for you.

7. Litho says:

Well, that wasn’t hard, was it?
    This series ain’t great, but Code Breaker was just drain-water. The chick’s ‘righteousness’ makes Kamijijou Touma’s speeches seem deep in comparison.

• Scruffy says:

Umm .. she sees someone being murdered and thinks its wrong and you think that is ‘righteousness’? The fact that they are skum is irrelevant.

8. Kim says:

I definitely sympathize with following too many multiple cour series. I am also thinking what I am going to do come winter when nothing I am watching is ending and more shows will be added on.

I don’t blog of course but just keeping up with series when you are going to school and working full time is hard.

9. Bunny says:

psgels, you actually watch a majority of the shows, you just blog a couple right?

10. Apriled says:

So, essentially, brace yourself, winter is coming.

11. Bunny says:

psgels, yeah thats what i thought because you will still do a full anime review on some of those that werent blogged hey?

12. joshee says:

Phew… I thought i was the only to find that episode of K as funny. Just a question psgels, will you not continue to blog Magi?

• psgels psgels says:

Joshee: I will continue to blog Magi. The show in the biggest danger of being dropped right now is Sword Art Online due to all of the hateful person-aimed comments in the comment section.

• joshee says:

Oh I see… Just a suggestion, drop SAO already. I mean I like the show (and I have nothing against it or the fans of it) but looking at this season’s great shows…. you know… I’d rather have you blog a show with much more potential than SAO. Hehehe just my opinion, BTW. =)

13. Reverse says:

well the background in the series no doubt a filler photo, I’m 100% sure, only few where actually drawn. and some are the combination of both

i wouldn’t say it has the best animation of the season as yet, no clear winner atm, seeing it how much recycle stuff apparent in this episode, and it pretty obvious we will see more off those again ( but im hopping i was wrong )

the action in this episode was great however

14. Bunny says:

wow, so you’d drop a show cause of the raging people.

• psgels psgels says:

The thing is that it’s gotten way out of hand, with so many people insulting others for liking the series. I’m not its biggest fan and all, but it’s really gotten on my nerves too much.

• meow says:

I get where you’re coming from. I think I may have overdone it with my comments too. Sorry about that. I’m not sure if it’s just me but I feel like you might be under too much pressure to put a balanced view on some of your reviews, taking into account everyone’s feedback. Unfortunately, in some cases, you have people with very extreme views that contradict each other. If writing about something becomes more stressful than fun, especially if there’s some other title you could be writing about more fruitfully in your precious time, I think it may not be a bad idea to drop it for one of those real gems.

This is why I avoid voting on your “What series should I blog next?” threads. You should write about something that gets to you the way some shows have gotten to me (way more than should be warranted sometimes. XD), rather than let your own opinion be swallowed by the crowd, so to speak. IMHO it’s the best way to let your writing shine and vibe with your audience.

• Trass says:

I just realized, but psgels is already at the point where his say matters a lot to many people, huh. He pretty much affect the views of many anime viewers that he attracts lots of fanboy and haters alike, resulting in clashes and flame wars.

At this point I (and I’m sure a lot others too) wouldn’t mind if you decide to be less lenient and a little more strict in the comment sections.

• meow says:

Hm. What do you have in mind?

Personally, most comments, either for or against a topic are contributing to it, in one way or another. Even if there’s disagreement, at least you’re made aware of a different point of view and it’s depth, which can only be a learning experience in an environment like this. I’m not sure if it’s come to a point yet where more needs to be done to shut people down.

Plus you’re talking about adding to Psgels’ workload, which means frustration and slower reviews. I see Psgels complaining about things coming to the point of having to actually intervene already. XD

• Trass says:

I mean like, actually establishing a set rule for commenting.

15. Bunny says:

i can understand psgels, its just uncalled for but my main problem is all the people that defend the show by pulling out everything from the manga and tell you it does make sense, because not everyone reads the manga so its not valid. that’s what bugs me the most. i couldn’t care less if someone whats like your an idiot but to use the manga as a guide to help the anime viewers understand is just really stupid. psgels i suggest you write just a simple post expressing that you want all the fighting to stop in the comments. hopefully that will work.

• meow says:

I get what you mean. The story should tell itself. :/

I had wanted to avoid discussion on this series, since I was already spoiled so to speak. Unfortunately, this series managed to get to me in a way that not many have to the point where I can’t understand the other side panning it as much as it does. Then again, this is one of a handful of the many series I’ve watched that actually interested me enough to dive into the novels/manga about. (The other recent one I can think of being Haruhi.) I think it’s just my personal fetish. Sorry to have gotten everyone riled up about it.

16. Bunny says:

*calls me an idiot

17. Trass says:

Hmm… I wonder if there’s something wrong with my eyes. People keep saying the animation is top-tier or movie-like, while I do agree it’s pretty good, I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s movie-like. The movements don’t look fluid to me.

• Kamen Grinder says:

That was episode 1.

• meow says:

Makes sense. Lots of productions throw in a little extra into their debut to hook the audience.

• Litho says:

You talking about K?
        Well, episode 1 was quite nice in places (the Tony Hawk scene, for instance), but I wouldn’t exactly call it movie quality. Mardock Scramble (from the same production team) looks a lot better.K does share some of Mardock’s aesthetic sensibilities (fun with filters, yay) though, for better or worse.

18. kraken says:

Did you stop saint seiya Omega? Because the ep 26 and 27 last ep was the best and the gold saint arc just begin

19. Nick says:

I love K for what it is. It has style, great action scenes a great mixed soundtrack between modern jazz, hiphop and lounge. So thank you for blogging it :-)

20. Paralytix says:

just drop SAO

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 04:15 PM)
    And I’d go as far to say this beats out birdman for me by miles.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 04:14 PM)
    The film is a solid mood piece thanks to the in tone cinematography, a great performance from Hoffman that along with his characters drama makes for an emotionally investing film. And before it gets TOO sad theres all those bits of dark humour fitted in there that work out pretty well. This is probably my favourite work by Kaufman currently.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 04:14 PM)
    Well Bam, I had a go of synecdoche there. A bit of a slow burner, near the end slightly drawn out, however that last stretch was forgiven by that bonkers ending.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 01:23 PM)
    The voice of the main character got kind of annoying though, the dub wasn’t all that good either.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 01:22 PM)
    This was based on/was a homage to a series by the Gigantor creator and having grown up with gigantors 90s reboot this felt like a nice throwback, plot is fairly simple but used effectively. It’s a shame that it feels like there was more to tell but at seven episodes I suppose it avoids outstaying its welcome.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 01:20 PM)
    Decided to marathon Giant Robo, I think this was mentioned by someone on here before. I guess it was fairly entertaining, great action direction, looked good for its time, you don’t notice the hour long episodes go by, adequate characters, nice retro artstyle also, not sure if I got excited over this as big O and Mazinger however but still fun enough nonetheless.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 07:10 AM)
    Seeing Hoffman in before the devil knows your dead and his character being dependent on drugs, that was another thing that hit me a bit knowing the circumstances of his death. Watching most wanted man I could also see that he was wearing out physically.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 07:00 AM)
    This is not Anno bitching about otakus jacking off to his characters and turning around and selling Rei panties, this isn’t the idiots at Shaft throwing around meaningless camera angles and the oh-so-symbolic teeth brushing scenes, this is a human being looking you in the eye with fear and telling you that he’s dying; morbid, honest, moving and remarkable.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 06:55 AM)
    Given my rants regarding Birdman it should be clear that I’m a sucker for these rare instances where the line between movie and reality get blurred- when an actor looks at a camera and just bares their heart out. This is the realism that reality tv tried but could never capture. this is art in one of its most sincere forms.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jan 31. 2015 06:50 AM)
    Oh yeah Hoffman was a massive talent and a beloved actor, so I don’t take it lightly when I call Synecdoche his greatest role ever. Given his death and knowing the circumstances of his life at the time imbues this performance with a chilling sincerity that just breaks your heart and leaves you in awe.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Death Parade – 04

Now this is more like it. An arcade game between two strangers with dark pasts. Excellent. But both did have a similar problem. That being they are both people who couldn’t see past themselves. It’s nice to see people react differently to the game. Here we have the two of them mistaking it for a […]

Durarara!!X2 – 03

If its one thing you to can credit Narita for it that just when you think he cannot possibly make a stranger character, he then does. So the monster that Shizu smashed into the air in the last moment gets their story told and I am sure there are not many who would have guessed […]

Death Parade – 03

Well this isn’t quite what I expected. This episode was a much more lighthearted fare with it being about love. It was better than the last episode but still not to the level I expected from this series. The game this time barely factored into the story at all. The twist on it was that […]

Durarara!!X2 – 02

If this episode had a focus then the stars would be Celty and the Orihara sisters. Though there were other events such as Anri and Mikado going to karaoke with Erika and Walker but it wasn’t really all the important and seemed to be there to foreshadow a new character and set up what looks […]

Death Parade – 02

Well this isn’t the best start. I must admit to being disappointed in this weeks Death Parade. Mainly because it was essentially a recap of the first episode. This episode was from the perspective of two characters who were watching the events of the first episode. With a white haired ponytail girl introducing another to […]

Some Really Quick First Impressions: The Leftovers

Sorry for leaving these out but they are not really worthy of a full impression. So I am just tossing down my two cents here. Seiken Tsukai no World Break – Hoo boy…maybe I spoke too soon about Juuou Mujin no Fafnir being worse than Absolute Duo. Because beside this trash heap it’s at least […]

Some Quick First Impressions: The Rolling Girls, Yoru no Yatterman and Sengoku Musou

The Rolling Girls Short Synopsis: What did I just watch? I am just going to break it to you. I have no idea what to think of this show. This is a work by the same studio who animated Attack on titan. It is an anime original show (meaning it is not based on anything) […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Durarara!!X2, Soukyuu no Fafner Dead Aggressor – Exodus and Aldnoah Zero Season 2

Durarara!!X2 Short Synopsis: People are strange, when you’re a stranger. It felt like a lot happened, but nothing really changed. That is the first season of Durarara summarized perfectly. The show itself even seems to revel in this. That said the main enjoyment of Durarara is seeing the cast of wacky characters interact with each […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kantai Collection, The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls and Tokyo Ghoul √A

Kantai Collection Short Synopsis: Our protagonist sucks at playing battleship This is an anime based on the popular browser game of the same name. I haven’t played it but from what I hear it has ship daughters and some form of strategy. So I went into this blind, not knowing what I would get. That […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]