Posted by psgels on 29 October 2012 with categories: From the New World

I love these kinds of episodes: the episodes that just say “screw it” to consistency, and instead go on with their own style based on the vision of someone on the episode staff. It may look weird, but I find that it gives each episode so much personality. I really encourage creators to put i their own styles to spice up the story they’re animating. It’s so much more interesting than the same thing over and over again.

This episode’s animation may not have been as crisp as usual, and there were a lot of distorted faces, but yet the animation was really good. It was full of creativity: the camera angles brought out so much in the characters, and there were plenty of scenes that had movements and actions that are very uncommon in conventional animation. It’s not just the scene at the beginning of that Queerat blowing up, but also where Satoru gets cut on his forhead, the scene at the end of the episode with the slime. The backgrounds looked utterly gorgeous inthsi episode as well, and what also caught my eye were the scenes that focused on touching. They had a strange focus in this episode (not to mention the near-sex scene was stunning).

So let me check for a moment who was behind this episode… and everything suddenly becomes clear: Shigeyasu Yamauchi was behind this episode. Holy crap, this guy is just amazing. I’m not sure whether I want him to do another series, or to keep doing episodes like this, because he is both incredible as an episode director and a series director, bringing out the best in the characters and not caring for conventions at all. This is the first time since Casshern however, that I’ve seen him on an episode that was intended for a more mature audience. Seriously, this is where this guy belongs. His work on shounen shows and romance series is nice and all, but this episode was just incredible, and this is where his style shines like no other.
Rating: 6,5/8 (Amazing)

1. Bunny says:

What did you think about the plot, boob monster, war between two queerats colonies?

2. Nyangoro says:

While I found the artistry/imagery very appealing, I actually didn’t like the animation in this episode. It was different, to be sure, but it movements were so inconsistent and the perspectives so wonky during the more intense moments that I just found it off-putting overall.

Regardless, the content was some of the best yet. The use of their sex drives to further reinforce the internal conflict of their own reality was just brilliant, and the lore keeps getting better and better.

I will admit that the Queerat explosion was pretty cool though, lol

• Puran says:

I think this episode was… rushed. It was too ambitious and they didn’t have enough time to polish it as much as they wanted. While I can appreciate what they were trying to do, it just wasn’t there yet….

The backgrounds shifted from highly detailed, to really rough (you could see the photoshop rough brush strokes), often within the same background, which reinforces the idea that this was rushed. The animation was also looking like they were going for really rough but fluid, but didn’t manage to get it to the level they wanted. The shading on the characters was also changing from completely flat, to weird CG shading.

And to top all that, the pacing was a bit off too, with a lot of inconsistencies here and there that I don’t think were intentional.

All in all, this was episode where they wanted to do something unique, but they got half-way there. Still, it wasn’t a bad episode, but I’m guessing it will be one of those were the DVD/Bluray version is going to be different.

3. Aegd says:

This episode was really cool. It’s not often that you get that sense of complete despair in anime. They are completely stripped of power, dumped in a situation they have no idea how to handle, trapped in a maze below the ground, with a bunch of crazy monster rats that wants to kill them… or do god nows what to them.

The scene with the monster rat wielding the spear was pretty intense. In these kind of shows you can often tell what’s going to happen next, but I honestly had no idea if they were going to kill the guy or not… it was real tense.

4. notintheface11 says:

Couldn’t disagree more. The direction in this episode was horrible. I couldn’t tell what was going on half the time, because the cuts were disjointed and random. The animation was also terrible, especially the way they re-used the same shot like three times on separate occasions of the queerat roaring. I was really disappointed and hope the production values return for the rest of the show. Thank god this guy is only doing one episode.

5. Spike says:

I don’t know if it was just me being tired, but it just seemed kinda jumpy like flow was off or something. Like you see the monk block the explosion, then he’s dead and evaporated apparently. Or They are being chased by queerrats like RIGHT behind them, fall into a gourge for what seems like a really long time before the rats catch up to them, then all of the sudden they are in a cage. Just seemed like really weird flow to me.

• Sam says:

Yep this was for me by far the biggest issue this ep. How could Rijin not save them all from the blast perfectly, I would’ve thought he’d be sick at using PK which is a seemingly limitless power? Then yeah, the rats just stop chasing all of a sudden, I dunno, the pace was just weird and was for me the most jarring part of the episode.

6. Kiavik says:

The animation was crap, as were the altered character design, and the horrible horrible direction. You really couldn’t tell what was going on 90% of the time. This Yamauchi is a hack, and I hope A-1 corrects this episode for the bluray released because it has poisoned the entire series. You giving it the highest grade of all the episodes till now was almost expected, really.

• Gloomy says:

I agree with the negative sentiment. Totally destroyed my enthusiasm for the show, characters annoyed me, animation was offputting and there were too many closeups. Nice color palette though. Didn’t feel mysterious like previous episodes, just cheap.

• Avalon says:

Like many others I hated it. I can understand using that style for an entire series (with a few fixes to the facial animations here and there), but for a single episode it was simply off-putting and annoying. The characters seemed almost completely different, the story was disjointed and sometimes hard to follow, as mentioned above the facial animation was terrible, and I was too distracted with all these little issues that I wasn’t able to enjoy the episode near as much as I KNOW I would have if it was the same as the others.

It seems like with a lot of things I agree with your tastes psgels, but whenever I feel strongly about something you almost always have the complete opposite opinion. It can be quite frustrating.

Well, whether I hated this episodes style or not, at least you enjoyed it. Happy someone wasn’t put off by it.

7. Oroboros says:

While the experimental animation may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I found it well suited to the story in this episode alone – dark, confusing, morbid and scary. The writers and creators of this show have perfected their calvinball formula in building the world, making it richer with each passing episode.

Shinsekai Yori continues to be the best show of the season.

Psgels I apologize for trolling earlier; I just cannot resist when it comes to craptacular shows and their defenders.

• Mike says:

Eh, it’s one thing for the the animation style to get the feelings of “dark, confusing, morbit and scary” across to the viewers, it’s another when the animation style itself becomes what’s confusing instead, and IMO this episode is closer to the latter instead of the former.

Also, apologizes for trolling, then launches another parting shot in the same sentence? couldn’t resist indeed :rolleyes:

• Oroboros says:

Actually the confusion was spot on, for that translated to a confusing experience.

Anime should be transparent in communicating the mood of the story, not necessarily a spic n span representation that tries to communicate confusion.

Read some Deleuze and learn proper film criticism.

• Mike says:

Yes, obviously only your viewpoint matters, and people should totally based their opinion on what a philosopher thinks.

a bit pretentious don’t you think?

8. Entrav says:

The animation quality and some scenes really killed the episode sometimes. It felt kind of disjointed and inconsistent. Still, next episode looks to be good so this is just a minor setback.

9. NDenizen says:

As much as I respect this style, it really screwed up scenes for me, at least in terms of explaining what the hell happened. The beginning was absolute confusion, as were other major points of the episode – it could have been toned down in some places.

Still, it’s nice to change things up now and again. It’s something anime is very good with.

10. wddsz says:

I for one loved this unique animation style and direction. Though there may be some flaws I found it to be very intriguing. SO why all the hate?

• Yerld says:

Lots of close-ups make the presentation too cheap, plus Yamauchi’s style is characterized by unconventional framing. A common complaint is that the camera tends to focus on the wrong things – close ups of elbows, forearms, feet, etc. – particularly during action scenes.

In terms of art and animation, consistency is pretty loose, with the rationale that standards should be relaxed to show more of an animator’s individuality. Not all key animators are necessarily great illustrators since their real job is to depict interesting motion (with today’s schedules, the reality is that key animation is often rough, and other people are hired to clean it up. Some of it may look like a child’s scribbling, but that rough work details how the models are to -move-). Sometimes they intentionally warp character art to see what they can get away with, as well as to plant their signature on a cut. Typically, the animation director redraws the characters to spec, but in some cases, the director tells him/her to minimize the changes.

At any rate, Yamauchi is a legend. He mentored greats like Junichi Sato and Kunihiko Ikuhara, so he certainly knows what he’s doing. However, he has been experimenting with a new style (starting with Casshern Sins – guess it’s now a mark of -his- individuality) that not everyone likes.

11. I think this episode’s animation was horrendous. It reminded me of the low budget work they did on Birdy the Mighty: Decode:02. To call this a ‘style’ and say you like it is laughable (personal opinion, not a jab at you.) The people producing this are professionals, and to take one episode, which provides insight into Queer Rats and their organizational structure, and crap on it, is kind of sad. Sure Queer Rats are ugly, but that doesn’t mean the episode about them had to be.

• Reverse says:

Birdy low budget ? stop spewing bullshit. unless you got data to back it up . frankly studio don’t released it budget data , inb4 nitpick frame to prove your no point

but base on the animator and people involved on that episode, i surely isn’t low budget that is for sure

also all animator ( minus kyoani studio ) got paid by frame, not the quality the frame it produce. it pretty much the same paid

if you saying i hate this frame = low budget
      your just stupid

• Hogart says:

Pro tip: calling someone’s opinion “laughable” *is* a jab at them.

Moreover, it technically is a style. It just doesn’t match the styles that have become prevalent in modern anime. To you it looks low-budget, to others it looks creative.

Sometimes the budget is blown on something other than in-between animation and CGI shading. Sometimes, the budget for a single episode is so low they have to bring in a pro who can salvage the situation.

Birdy, for instance, clearly ran out of money in season two for a few scenes, so I agree that it was “low budget”. And yet, I was even MORE impressed by what they pulled off, and wish it got the budget of a KyoAni show.

And what about Bakemonogatari? Was it “laughable” too, or does it get a pass? It’s a fine line, and certainly not worth insulting someone for circumstances.

• Hogart says:

Hmm, I was replying to Mr.Moreau, if it wasn’t obvious. That comment wasn’t meant for you, Reverse.

• Commenting on someone’s subjective view by calling them stupid is kind of out of line. I’m entitled to my own opinion. By saying it was laughable means I don’t agree with his viewpoint, I’m not saying he’s wrong in viewing it as such.

There were episodes in Birdy the Mighty where the animation wasn’t up to par with the rest, the high octane scenes where there’s a lot of motion. While I understand what they were trying to achieve, my subjective view tells me that I don’t like it, and if they did pay more for that kind of work, I don’t think it paid off. Here’s an example: http://indiegamedevs.com/images/screenshots/btm-subjective-low-quality.jpg

Granted, every single image can’t be 100% stellar, but at the same time, some of the motion was horrible: http://indiegamedevs.com/images/screenshots/btm-subjective-low-quality-2.jpg

The feel I get from episode 12 of BtM:D:02 is the same that I received from this episode of Shin Sekai Yori.

• Hogart says:

#1: Calling someone’s opinion “laughable” is no better than being called “stupid” for having your own opinion. You’re basically implying that you’re laughing at their opinion. So getting defensive when someone in turn dismissed your own opinion as stupid.. well, you really have no ground to stand on here. Online, people interpret words in the worst possible way, especially when they detect criticism. If you didn’t realize that, then I hope you do now.

#2: As for Birdy, some people were too busy looking at the unique framing, highly kinetic storyboarding, and keen use of contrast to focus on sloppy in-betweens and a few bland backgrounds in dark scenes. I’ve seen amazingly smooth animation that was still so bland I didn’t care that it was painstakingly in-betweened. But Birdy made me WANT to see a full-budget realization of its attempt.. in my books that’s a win. It was memorably different compared to boringly smooth.

#3: Some people just LIKE that kind of brutal, raw, uncertain animation when they’re watching a brutal, raw, uncertain scene. Some people like Picasso, without knowing anything about fine art or cubism. Birdy’s no Picasso, of course, but there’s an undeniable emotional edge to this that some people experience, whether or not you think that was the intent of the director to cover up other flaws (I happen to think it was, and that it was a brilliant choice).

• Interpret it how you will, but there’s one thing I know: what I said and mean, versus how you perceive it: are two different things.

If I say I’m not trying to be offensive, then being offensive is not my goal. No one, not even you can say that isn’t so, you can say how you perceive it, nothing more.

• Hogart says:

Oh, I understand. I just hope you understand what I meant, too. This whole thing could have been avoided if you said what you meant frankly, and not in a way that would easily be interpreted as an insult by others. If you don’t care, fine.

12. MochiRochi says:

I don’t mind the art style. Given that Saki and Satoru were about to do something, I think the art was needed to make them look a bit mature and not so young. I do miss the old one, but thankfully, it’s going to be back in the next episode.

My problem is the faces though. Maria sounded like she was screaming, but her mouth hardly moved. It happened with the other characters too. There was a lot of random smiling too. It took me out of the episode and left me annoyed, instead of interested in what was happening.

13. billish says:

In this case I agree with your assessment, psgels, as I am also for the unconventional change in style to particularly depict emotion in this episode aside from others.

There were some animations that were rough and poor, but it didn’t bother me so much.

As this is your favourite (rated, which for you isn’t always the same) episode of New World, I’d have to agree in this case: This episode actually did something beside the regular, and Satoru’s preceding anoying character in regular social functions really worked for him in this episode. I wasn’t distracted at all by the dialog in this episode as I have been in the past, which effectively eliminates one of my only large criticisms of the show.

• HunterWulf says:

It seems Satoru actually found himself (rather rediscovered himself) in this new world they ventured into .. it’s as if he was unknowingly frustrated by the boring and suffocating sterile controlled life back in the settlements and was expressing that indirectly by being annoying and obnoxious, but once he got his chance to experience a world filled with thrills and danger he actually starts enjoying it and starts acting differently (note that he so far seemed the one most interested in learning stories about the outer world, its creatures and dangers) … this gives the change in his personality in this ep some deeper meaning.

14. jzar says:

I did like it, I loved the camera angels and I enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on. Much o Mini mysteries with this world and I can’t wait to see more. My hat’s off to the animators for being so bold and initiative. So nice to see something different and new.

15. eddiedingle says:

I thought this was the best episode since the first one. Things were a bit disjointed and felt like you were being jolted around, but i feel like that really helped to convey the mood of the episode. The kids are in a strange and unfamiliar place, they just heard a rather long and confusing story from the past, and have lost their power. to that effect I think the animation really put us in the children’s shoes.

16. Ebisu says:

I got bad feelings through the first half of the chapters. The animation or direction (I don’t know who’s guilty) broke the rythm from past chapters but in a bad way. I think it’s because I hate action scenes which use only close-ups.
    I know this kind of episodes should be awesome but this one felt wrong. An undeserved high note, as it was painful to watch for me rather than enjoyable. The scenes could have been done really really really better.

17. HunterWulf says:

I think people are really overreacting with regards to the style change this episode .. for me it just took few moments to get used to but the effect that i think they intended was achieved .. it really gave the episode as a whole a surreal, weird, disjointed feeling .. the whole episode felt like a weird dream (specially with its sexual undertones, bizarre gigantic six-breasted Queerat queen, and dynamic camera work).

It was like those dreams that you wake up from all sweaty and saying “what the hell did i just dream about !!!” …. you try to piece it all together but it feels disjointed, weird and surreal .. that’s the feeling they wanted to invoke .. and seeing we are back to the other style next episode i can say i’m 70% sure this style was meant the way it is to get that feeling through not because of technical difficulties or low budget .. it’s also meant to emphasize the uncomfortable shift in the characters life from their confined, sterile life before in the settlements into a wild, bizarre and crazy world.

Overall it was a very enjoyable episode IMO.

• Bunny says:

I have never experienced waking up sweaty and said “what the hell did I dream about”.

• HunterWulf says:

Well, not all people dream when they sleep, and not all those who have dreams have vivid and crazy dreams .. it differs from person to person .. and this “what the hell did I dream about” thing didn’t happen to me more than two or three times in my entire life XD

18. kraken says:

About Yamauchi, I hope you know that his most famous work is Saint seiya (the best episodes of the serie, and 3 of the 5 movies) and the two DBZ movie Gogeta and Broly.
    And Morio Hatano (Saint seiya Omega) and Tatsuya Nagamine (Heartcatch Precure) were his disciple.

19. Obvious Dude says:

My this episode was so intense. It had me on my edge of my seat the entire time.

20. Suumirae says:

I agree with what some of the people said about the episode feeling rushed and lacking clarity, but the word that you said that struck me was that it had personality. It’s so true~ SO much personality in this episode. I feel like they spent a lot of that thoroughness in the opening episodes and that it’s sort of fun that what started out as a very slow show has gotten so quick and intense.

21. Vanichu says:

Oh, no wonder I felt a strong Casshern vibe! Love this guy. The episode did feel a little choppy here and there, but I didn’t mind it. Just another style I can appreciate.
    Also, the whole sexual tension scene was so well done.

@Anon, with luck that new KonoSuba anime project is a third season. I didn't realize the Season 2 OVA just came out.
Kono Suba ftw
@Lenlo, there are some good moments even after the Shark jump but yeah, all downhill from here.
@Lenlo: it was a captivating jump, wasn't it?
I think I hit the shark jump in Kado.
reaLjustified
Koi to Uso....kind of as vanilla a romance story can get, and that premise doesn’t do anything for me after Sakura Sakura. Honestly the star-crossed love worked better with Nisekoi.
Well they were a good series of episodes, so guess it was a success
@Lenlo, Already has got one. Second season with 8 episodes is coming. Honestly makes me think that it's really the rest of season one and these four episodes were gauging the audience.
I believe it has been re-newed.
@Aidan, yeah. Its way better than I thought. The VA for some characters is just great, I actually liked Belmont alot. I really hope it gets a 2nd season, because Dracula was also great
@Mario, Well you do write for STAR CROSSED anime blog. Maybe that's a factor.
@Aidan: "What is a man" huh? It's fun to listen to actually :)
I can't believe it myself... but I get sucked into the story of Koi to Uso. Yesterday was reading the manga until 2am (and I hd to wake up at 6.30 for work). SINCE WHEN FORCED CONTRIVED STAR-CROSSED ROMANCE BECOME MY THING? I blame those big eyes.
I mean the best game in the series has dialogue like this:
@Masky, Castlevaina games are never played for their story. If anything the story is usually the weakest element. When I heard of this series before I thought it was ridiculous because the story of the games was too weak to make into a good story.
Better than any right to be? Like I know that video game adaptions usually suck, but surely that doesn't mean that being video game adaption itself is qualification for being bad? :p
I will see if I can do a write up on Castlevaina tommarrow but yeah for a video game adaption it's better than it has any right to be. I think the reason for that is Warren Ellis.
Castlevania actually has good action scenes too. Very pretty.
The Netflix Castlevania series, one episode in so far, is actually pretty good. It does justice to the old series, more than any other videogame adaptation ive seen.
And I know this is way off the mark but whenever I hear Baltimore I'm thinking of Beach House band
@Lenlo: I feel you that the action scenes feel no weight.
Three degrees of Nazi. We always get there somehow
The story seems setting up to repeat to me as well, with the mutant/normie racial problems. Hopefully the Reflection event/mystery over takes that though.
@Kaiser: Vatican's mysteries have gotten to a ridiculous level. This week throws up sexual abuse, drug use, corruption and somehow Nazis are involved as well. It's just too much for me
They could have kept the comic book feel though by doing what Ping Pong did, with the panel layouts. I feel the low framerate did nothing but hurt it. Had the action scenes been done differently it could have worked, but it was a traditional fight scene so it didnt work.
Speaking of 18if, I still consider that show an experiment wreck, but a fascinating wreck it will
I don't really mind the low frame rate in the Reflection. I think the choice is deliberated to resemble the comic motion. I'm more worried about the story as they have some random fights that I feel even more dreamy than 18if
@Kaiser, I quite liked the Reflections art but the animation, or lack thereof, held it back.
Once again my anime taste falls in with Marios =P
Though you can only imagine if shinbo or Yuasa were to work on 18...if.
Although I do think 18..if is exactly what I need right now, I am not certain it will top flipflappers.
The premise for ballroom is of no interest to me.
I’m hearing Vatican is quite silly in a campy horror way
which appeals to me.
While visually the show seemed to improve with episode 3, I wasn’t all that emotionally invested with that story.
I would take this protagonist over IdiotMCx100 any day.
18..if is the most interesting thing I’ve looked into so far, largely due to it being the most un-conventional/abnormal, the concept interests me and poor as the animation is , the worlds it shows/creates, the imagination of the show gets close to forgiving that, as it was the most macabre, episode 2 has been my favourite so far.
I’ve begun (at last)checking out some of the series airing this season.
The reflections style is complete push away/turn off for me. I feel made in abyss could grow into something and I’d like it to actually properly get going/start, the buildup is slightly dull.
@Vonter Graces is nothing compared to the pandering mess that Symphonia 2 was. Just embarrassing.
"There's a white house waiting for us in Casablanca" haha, can't help but laugh at its wordplay
Im planning on mentioning it, but yeah. Alot of the combat didnt really have an 'impact' to them. There are other shows, like Ping Pong, that I think do this sort of style better, if alittle differently.
I think the main issue was the animation being kind of simple, the scenes didnt have 'motion'
@Anon, yeah The Reflection moved at the pace of a glacier. The art style was unique and should have lead to good looking fights, but instead it moved at the pace of a glacier. Ill have a write up on it later today
very nice episode of Virgin Soul. Really liked seeing Favoro look like Favoro again.
Tales of Graces sadly might have the most childish, and pandering story of the series.
AidanAK47 - Tales of Graces worked around having to both attack and defend to continue attacking. If just attacked you made less and weaker attacks. It was a way of cooldown that was more reliant on the player thinking about the attacks it used. Later games followed a more typical cooldown and combined special attacks with the regular ones.
Reflection was kinda painful to watch, I didn't expect anything in the first place and was disappointed nonetheless.
I cant snowboard or ski at all so its ok.
I did hit my head on the ground (for the first time) but I was lucky that I was wearing helmet. I curse S turn
@lenlo: it's fun but it's a lot of pain as well.
Sounds like fun
I'm literally covered in snow right now with my butt numbed. Will get back home in few hours to catch up on 18if
Havnt had the chance to watch it yet, but Reflection apparently looks like a comic book but has weird fight scenes? Ill get that write up tomorrow once I watch it tonight.
*hear
Jesus Christ what happened to my spelling
That's one of the things that mainly turned me off. The battle system is essentially button mashing.
The regular complaint I here from Tales of naysayers is a dislike of the battle mechanics/system.
I avoided the anime adaptations of the tales games mostly because I assumed they presumed previous knowledge of the games. I actually only saw Phantasia due to having been familiar with the games story when I was younger.
HelghastKillzone
No Re:Creators this week. I get a week off which is good since I'm stuck on an army base.
@K-Off, A lot of people say Vesperia is their favorite as well. I only have played Abyss so far and was really not impressed with it.
@Kaiser Damn, Detective Conan has a long way to go then.
Phantasia was my first Tales game (and its anime is the best amongst anything after) but Symphonia really did take it to another level. In general I think most fans will agree with Symphonia, Abyss, and Xillia in their favorites.
I believe Kochikame is the longest running manga of all time 1,960 chapters, 200 volumes, actually does have a record.
@Aidan I remember you saying how it's funny that no two fans of Tales will have the same favorite title. But that's definitely because Tales has changed very little over the years, and they've always been solid games, and so for most fans they'll remember the first title they played.
@Vonter With you there. The art direction in Tales hasn't been really that exciting since Xillia, and as a long time fan of the series I finally got sick of the gameplay after Vesperia.
Jeez, detective Conan is reaching its 1000th chapter. Pretty sure it's a milestone for some Guinness record.
*Embarassing
**Here
I also agree about complaints made about the mumbled dialogue when it does occur.
I think thin red line is a good thing to bring up hear as throughout much of Dunkirk I was thinking about how much more Mallick's film did for me, how I should have been re-watching that instead.
Yet at the same time I couldn't connect with it, it became repetitive, disjointed and the shots/Zimmer score towards the end were embaeassing.
There were definitely aspects to praise, to be fair there is no shortage of action, it eschews exposition and tries to visually immerse the viewer to make them feel as if they are present.
Im ready. Reflection comes on tomorrow, so heres hopin its worth it
it was trash. just british propaganda
I finished Tales of Berseria. And I'm conflicted. I really liked the story and the characters, essentially a Tales of were the story is told form the perspective of the villains. I also saw the episodes Ufotable made of the beginning of the game, and I want moar. It's was a waste as game, considering the archaic and dull game design. It mainly came up to buying time in regards to things to play.
I also watched it. I thought it was a great war film. Very intense and unrelenting, but still at points the images reminded me of Thin Red Line. My only quip was the end. The film did a great job in getting me to feel the hopelessness the soldiers felt. So great that the attempt at making a "happy" end was forced and fell flat. Beyond that I liked it.
I already lost interest when I saw Inception which I didn't really like. My favorite Nolan movie will always be Memento.
Eh, saw Dunkirk, I think at this point I'm done with giving Nolan any more chances, this like his other works, I can appreciate them to some extent but come away honestly not giving a damn.
and this week's Sakura Quest is damn great as well... This backstory of Chitose and Kadota rocks
Just watching the 2nd episode of Gamers, It was actually pretty good. I can't believe they fleshing out that annoying hot guy into such a relatable guy.
I recall the extent of my interest in Linkin park in my early teens was strictly the breaking the habit video and that was it.
The frontman of Linkin Park commited suicide by hanging himself... sad news. Never been his fan but I feel sad nonetheless
Actually forgot with all the impressions and whatnot but I do believe we said we would review the Castlevania Netflix series. Now that everything has calmed down I will see if I can do a write up next week.
I was busy trying to discern whether the story had any point besides "Life is shit"
Again, while I enjoyed punpun, the excessive internal narration, when marathoned, I had to take a break.
Come to think of it, I don't even have a phone that does that, haven't bought a new one since 2004.
Ah, you see I could never force myself to browse/type/use the internet on a phone, too used to using a desktop exclusively for that.
Oh bloody hell. Stupid phone autocorrect. Yeah I meant Punpun.
@Aidan: Read Freesia.
umi no onnanoko is probably the exact thing ninjarealist would be interested in.
*oyasumi punpun
I found it alot more accessible than nijigahara holograph. deded-demon-destruction while enjoyable, is beneath him. Solanin is probably his easiest work.
I assume you man oyasui punpun. Its been about five years since I read in, the final couple of volumes stay in my mind the most, all the stuff with him, the girl and his uncle also, I love Asano Inios art and the surreal elements but I got lost/bored somewhere in the middle and most of the other side characters and the cult thing I didn't really care about.
Finished reading Goodnight Pumping. Really not sure on what to think of it. The story kept me reading but it just felt really empty.
There are 2 Nyaa's now. This one is considered the 'real' one: https://nyaa.si
Looks like anirena is down for me. Although it looks like nyaa went back up as this: https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/
Aidan: Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui
Mario: Princess Principal, 18if, Youkoso
Lenlo: Touken Ranbu, The Reflection
Wooper: Ballroom, Shoukoku no Altair
Helghast: Re:Creators
Note: I'm deciding to take Classroom of the Elite as my third show to cover. So, for this season we are covering 11 shows.
Just to end, it kind of shows than even if a story is predictable on where it is going. Characters can make up for that, if they're funny, interesting, and perhaps not agreeing all the time and having different agendas and points of view despite all sharing the same boat.
Yet as a game Tales hasn't felt deep since Symphonia, (at least from the ones I've played). I'm wondering if it'll leave me wanting check the anime of Zestiria, since apparently Berseria is a prequel to that game. And many say the anime is better than the game. (I can see why).
I also like the reused Tales beats from Phantasia and Berseria. It those have moments like when Lloyd was exiled and Cless had his village attacked. It has clear antagonists unlike Vesperia, and trying harder than the cartoony villains of Graces.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria, and it seems to be the anti Tales of Graces. In which I'm caring about the story and characters, but the gameplay is a drag. This is the first time I've been autoplaying an JRPG. But unlike Gravity Rush 2, I'm not dropping it because I'm liking the interactions of these characters even if it gets, campy, overdramatic, or edgy.
I mean I watch anime and films subtitled but sometimes my reading speed can be slow if theres a lot of dialogue.
Eh, I do that sometimes, mostly to check for message updates or on occasion to read reviews of what I am watching or to download more/check downloads.
For instance, I watched Okja yesterday and I had to take 15', 20' minute break in between for snack, surfing webs and playing mobile games...
I watched Fanny and Alexander... don't really remember which version I watched thou. I think it's a TV version since it divides into 4 separate parts
@Kaiser: it just that... my attention span has shortened greatly and I just can't stay focus on movies over an hour mark. In cinema, it's alright since you can't move anywhere but now it's abig task to finish a 2 hour and a half movie for me
And is good enough to keep up the quality for that long.
I'll say this, for every medium, to me the length of something isn't so much the issue, if you have a writer good enough to keep something going for ages then the length shouldn't be an issue.
@Mario: If something goes over three hours I treat it as a miniseries and watch one hour or two a day.
@Mario: lol if you thought thats long, have you seen the extended versions of scenes from a marriage and fanny & alexander by Bergman? I can't wait to get my hands on the tv versions I hear they're completely different.
Okja is pretty entertaining with pointed social commentary. I don't really feel Tilda Swinton's double roles add up much but everything else is great. Bong has never disappointed me
@Kaiser: good luck with Satantango then. I guess now if I watch an 8-hour long film it would take me a whole week to finish it :/
Made in abyss and vatican keep staring at me. Although I'm not chancing them yet or anything else until I hear a bit more.
My once massive film backlog is nearly cleared. I can try watching stuff this season hopefully.
Same boat here. For the first time in a long time I spent almost half the day catching up on all of my manga.
@Mario: I'll have two weeks leave, I will finally watch Satantango, all eight hours of that film.
I did a double take when I saw this. One of these things is not like the other.... http://gematsu.com/2017/07/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced
Well, finally have a bit of precious free time to watch something else and I have too much things to watch. Castlevania, the final Kizumonogatari movie, live-action Okja and some books planned to read... I guess I'll go with Okja today
Ninja
Looking forward to that Dies review
Yaaay! Time to enjoy your blogging time
And now we are up to date. Just need to finally get that Dies Irae Review posted.
Then again I'll watch almost every horror film I can, don't even mind the awful acting most have.
Pet cemetary was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a teenager.
I don't know how I'd feel if I rewatched salems lot, although a positive is that it did have James Mason in it and it was done in that 70s style of slow burn horror that I love.
The IT film has aged horribly and thats one case where I would advocate a remake.
Stand by me was a perftly watchable coming of age film and it surprised me, seeing a non-horror King story.
Okay theres one way to settle this =P Lovecraft > all of them ;) I have actually enjoyed some King adaptations even though I know the Shining took liberties , I also enjoyed Carrie and Apt Pupil.
@Kaiser, please. Early King > Richard Matheson > Modern King. Kings early works were good.
@Aidan, its true that Monty was the mind behind the fights. Sad, but I think the other directors are starting to come into their own instead of trying to copy Monty.
But we all know Richard Matheson > King.
He did some collabs with Stephen King I believe.
Like the dead films he's trying to be thematic, although this one is clumsily put together, I kind of like how it hybridizes the 50s with 70s style exploitation, it has its moments.
hmmm the only non Dead trilogy film I've seen by Romero is the Crazies, feels like he's still finding his voice with it.
@Lenlo, Part of the reason is that they started using better animation software. But despite that there was a downgrade in fight chorgraphy when Monty died. Though the story I find is getting better.
@Kinseryu, I think it's ridiculous to everyone but there are those that choose to ignore it.
@Anon, That's a bit harsh. It is true that his later works never truly panned out but he did pretty much popularise the zombie apoc. Even if Day of the Triffids did it before him.
Every season RWBY gets just a little bit prettier. Rooster Teeth really does have some of the better 3D animation skills out there.
goerge romero was a hack trying desperate to stay relevant.
Kinseryu
Tenshi3P... I thought it was just me that this show was just ridiculous by putting three ten years old girl that knows how to play electrical instruments. They are insulting the people who plays these. But good thing I found this site with your first impression. I laughed and I feel better. Lol.
@Kaiser: he passed away? damn. He was the Father of Zombie genre. So like him or hate him, he was influential to say the least. RIP.
Kaiser_Eoghan
...holy shit George A Romero died? Now I have to watch the rest of his films.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Rei Hiroe is really dicking around with black lagoon lately, he's still releasing wasted chapters, just like re:creators, the most recent chapter of black lagoon was a slog.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Maybe the conversation and lives of others could sort of count as espionage stories to an extent.
Kaiser_Eoghan
If you're interested in spy fiction, Spy who came in from the cold, most wanted man, Smiley's people, deadly affair and tinker tailor soldier spy are your best bet.
@Travlos (regarding yoir earlier comment): yeah, it hit me as well that most of regular readers have been here even longer than myself. So thanks for sticking around mates
@Travlos: playing catch up with both Re:Creators and Virgin Soul yesterday. Agreed that last week's Re:Creators was weak because it focused on the Creators (they're not good) but last episode was on par again. Virgin Soul, I loved that episode that the girls go bacl to Nina's hometown
@anon1272074: I still haven't had the time to watch Pripri yet (probably in few more hours), but you bet I'm looking forward to it
Anonymous1272074
Then again, James Bond does count as a spy. I meant not a realistic one.
Anonymous1272074
Princess Principal 2 was pretty good. Still more James Bond via little girls than spies, but this episode was more about intrigue and stuff than action.
Started catching up with Kakegurui. The OP is the sort of mind games I remember from Mob Psycho. Dunno what that means for the show, but I like it.
Quite happy with this week's RE:Creators. Blitz is cool, Aliceteria looked so scary. It washed out the taste of last week's episode.

Bahamut is going interesting places.
BTW. Speaking of spies from Princess Principal. I watch TURN. That is a good spy show.
I mean you see the use of those heavy revolvers as clubs in westerns. Mythbusters did a experiment, and being hit by one could kill you just fine. But in anime, I do not remember seeing it often
Homura used Gun-kata in the fight against Mami in Rebellion. Can't think of anyone who exclusively uses it though. After all Gun-Kata is more or less a flashy art that has no real benefit.
amazing!
Is Gun Kata the fighting style of Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue? I suppose I'm mainly thinking about how guns are handled in fighting games. Where the shots are mainly concussive. I suppose those are mainly energy blasts.
Ranbu took a step in the right direction I feel. Used the morals of whether or not to change history and it focused in on one of its characters.

Kakegurui- 04[The Woman Who Became Livestock]

I could make it point to go on about how ridiculous it is for a school to allow a student to carry a firearm or putting forward a life plan which I am fairly certain is a clear violation of human rights but honestly that dead horse has been beaten enough. In Kakegurui this is […]

Made in Abyss – 03[Departure]

This episode looks to be setting up the big adventure to guide us through the rest of the season but I really cannot comment enough on how much of a terrible idea it is. Riko is pure rookie when it comes to abyss diving and here she is deciding to take on the challenge of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 04[Price of life, Redemption of Death]

There are many things that can lead to one anime downfall but even with certain weaknesses in area a anime can shine through. Berserk 1997 showed that a strong story can make up for a powerpoint level of animation. Tatami Galaxy showed that even with lacking art a compelling story can be told.(I am sorry […]

Princess Principal – 03 [Case 2 Vice Voice]

We have another fun action-spy time this week. While this week isn’t as great as the week before, the decision to group the girls in different pairings make this one entertaining to watch. This means Ange is pairing up with Beatrice, and the Princess with Dorothy (just to make it more consistent I will address […]

18if – 03 [The Witch of First Love]

At this point, I wholly expect 18if to bring different approach, have different style on its same themes each passing week. This week, they indeed pulled a very different episode from its first two. It was a fascinating episode. I said “fascinating” because if I’m gonna mark this week as a standalone episode (or as […]

The Reflection -1 [Ceremony]

Its a bit late in the season, but The Reflection is just getting started. Sadly, it feels like more time in the oven was yet needed. Thought up by Stan Lee and directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, lets dive right in. Because of the substantial difference in quality between them, I am going to break this […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 4 [What I Wanted to Protect]

This is a good week for Ranbu, as it starts to hit its stride. A new mission begins, some quiet character moments occur and finally a whole new cast member is introduced! We open in a rather unexpected manner, our party fleeing from a group of police. I was expecting a relaxing, beach like episode, […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 03 [Dance the Waltz]

Well, there’s no going back now. Ballroom just went full sports anime, and it cut the brake lines for good measure. After the relative nuance of last week’s character introduction, the newest episode treated us to more fanservice, more contrivance, and more shounen formula than the last two combined. Sports series have really stepped up […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 03 [The Council of Generals]

With this episode, Altair’s first arc comes to a close. Mahmut Pasha, teenage prodigy and commander of eagles, is now simply Tughril Mahmut, a disgraced former general set to leave Turkiye on a journey of discovery. Though its main character didn’t fare so well this week, I thought the show wrapped everything up nicely in […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100