Posted by psgels on 29 October 2012 with categories: From the New World

I love these kinds of episodes: the episodes that just say “screw it” to consistency, and instead go on with their own style based on the vision of someone on the episode staff. It may look weird, but I find that it gives each episode so much personality. I really encourage creators to put i their own styles to spice up the story they’re animating. It’s so much more interesting than the same thing over and over again.

This episode’s animation may not have been as crisp as usual, and there were a lot of distorted faces, but yet the animation was really good. It was full of creativity: the camera angles brought out so much in the characters, and there were plenty of scenes that had movements and actions that are very uncommon in conventional animation. It’s not just the scene at the beginning of that Queerat blowing up, but also where Satoru gets cut on his forhead, the scene at the end of the episode with the slime. The backgrounds looked utterly gorgeous inthsi episode as well, and what also caught my eye were the scenes that focused on touching. They had a strange focus in this episode (not to mention the near-sex scene was stunning).

So let me check for a moment who was behind this episode… and everything suddenly becomes clear: Shigeyasu Yamauchi was behind this episode. Holy crap, this guy is just amazing. I’m not sure whether I want him to do another series, or to keep doing episodes like this, because he is both incredible as an episode director and a series director, bringing out the best in the characters and not caring for conventions at all. This is the first time since Casshern however, that I’ve seen him on an episode that was intended for a more mature audience. Seriously, this is where this guy belongs. His work on shounen shows and romance series is nice and all, but this episode was just incredible, and this is where his style shines like no other.
Rating: 6,5/8 (Amazing)

1. Bunny says:

What did you think about the plot, boob monster, war between two queerats colonies?

2. Nyangoro says:

While I found the artistry/imagery very appealing, I actually didn’t like the animation in this episode. It was different, to be sure, but it movements were so inconsistent and the perspectives so wonky during the more intense moments that I just found it off-putting overall.

Regardless, the content was some of the best yet. The use of their sex drives to further reinforce the internal conflict of their own reality was just brilliant, and the lore keeps getting better and better.

I will admit that the Queerat explosion was pretty cool though, lol

• Puran says:

I think this episode was… rushed. It was too ambitious and they didn’t have enough time to polish it as much as they wanted. While I can appreciate what they were trying to do, it just wasn’t there yet….

The backgrounds shifted from highly detailed, to really rough (you could see the photoshop rough brush strokes), often within the same background, which reinforces the idea that this was rushed. The animation was also looking like they were going for really rough but fluid, but didn’t manage to get it to the level they wanted. The shading on the characters was also changing from completely flat, to weird CG shading.

And to top all that, the pacing was a bit off too, with a lot of inconsistencies here and there that I don’t think were intentional.

All in all, this was episode where they wanted to do something unique, but they got half-way there. Still, it wasn’t a bad episode, but I’m guessing it will be one of those were the DVD/Bluray version is going to be different.

3. Aegd says:

This episode was really cool. It’s not often that you get that sense of complete despair in anime. They are completely stripped of power, dumped in a situation they have no idea how to handle, trapped in a maze below the ground, with a bunch of crazy monster rats that wants to kill them… or do god nows what to them.

The scene with the monster rat wielding the spear was pretty intense. In these kind of shows you can often tell what’s going to happen next, but I honestly had no idea if they were going to kill the guy or not… it was real tense.

4. notintheface11 says:

Couldn’t disagree more. The direction in this episode was horrible. I couldn’t tell what was going on half the time, because the cuts were disjointed and random. The animation was also terrible, especially the way they re-used the same shot like three times on separate occasions of the queerat roaring. I was really disappointed and hope the production values return for the rest of the show. Thank god this guy is only doing one episode.

5. Spike says:

I don’t know if it was just me being tired, but it just seemed kinda jumpy like flow was off or something. Like you see the monk block the explosion, then he’s dead and evaporated apparently. Or They are being chased by queerrats like RIGHT behind them, fall into a gourge for what seems like a really long time before the rats catch up to them, then all of the sudden they are in a cage. Just seemed like really weird flow to me.

• Sam says:

Yep this was for me by far the biggest issue this ep. How could Rijin not save them all from the blast perfectly, I would’ve thought he’d be sick at using PK which is a seemingly limitless power? Then yeah, the rats just stop chasing all of a sudden, I dunno, the pace was just weird and was for me the most jarring part of the episode.

6. Kiavik says:

The animation was crap, as were the altered character design, and the horrible horrible direction. You really couldn’t tell what was going on 90% of the time. This Yamauchi is a hack, and I hope A-1 corrects this episode for the bluray released because it has poisoned the entire series. You giving it the highest grade of all the episodes till now was almost expected, really.

• Gloomy says:

I agree with the negative sentiment. Totally destroyed my enthusiasm for the show, characters annoyed me, animation was offputting and there were too many closeups. Nice color palette though. Didn’t feel mysterious like previous episodes, just cheap.

• Avalon says:

Like many others I hated it. I can understand using that style for an entire series (with a few fixes to the facial animations here and there), but for a single episode it was simply off-putting and annoying. The characters seemed almost completely different, the story was disjointed and sometimes hard to follow, as mentioned above the facial animation was terrible, and I was too distracted with all these little issues that I wasn’t able to enjoy the episode near as much as I KNOW I would have if it was the same as the others.

It seems like with a lot of things I agree with your tastes psgels, but whenever I feel strongly about something you almost always have the complete opposite opinion. It can be quite frustrating.

Well, whether I hated this episodes style or not, at least you enjoyed it. Happy someone wasn’t put off by it.

7. Oroboros says:

While the experimental animation may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I found it well suited to the story in this episode alone – dark, confusing, morbid and scary. The writers and creators of this show have perfected their calvinball formula in building the world, making it richer with each passing episode.

Shinsekai Yori continues to be the best show of the season.

Psgels I apologize for trolling earlier; I just cannot resist when it comes to craptacular shows and their defenders.

• Mike says:

Eh, it’s one thing for the the animation style to get the feelings of “dark, confusing, morbit and scary” across to the viewers, it’s another when the animation style itself becomes what’s confusing instead, and IMO this episode is closer to the latter instead of the former.

Also, apologizes for trolling, then launches another parting shot in the same sentence? couldn’t resist indeed :rolleyes:

• Oroboros says:

Actually the confusion was spot on, for that translated to a confusing experience.

Anime should be transparent in communicating the mood of the story, not necessarily a spic n span representation that tries to communicate confusion.

Read some Deleuze and learn proper film criticism.

• Mike says:

Yes, obviously only your viewpoint matters, and people should totally based their opinion on what a philosopher thinks.

a bit pretentious don’t you think?

8. Entrav says:

The animation quality and some scenes really killed the episode sometimes. It felt kind of disjointed and inconsistent. Still, next episode looks to be good so this is just a minor setback.

9. NDenizen says:

As much as I respect this style, it really screwed up scenes for me, at least in terms of explaining what the hell happened. The beginning was absolute confusion, as were other major points of the episode – it could have been toned down in some places.

Still, it’s nice to change things up now and again. It’s something anime is very good with.

10. wddsz says:

I for one loved this unique animation style and direction. Though there may be some flaws I found it to be very intriguing. SO why all the hate?

• Yerld says:

Lots of close-ups make the presentation too cheap, plus Yamauchi’s style is characterized by unconventional framing. A common complaint is that the camera tends to focus on the wrong things – close ups of elbows, forearms, feet, etc. – particularly during action scenes.

In terms of art and animation, consistency is pretty loose, with the rationale that standards should be relaxed to show more of an animator’s individuality. Not all key animators are necessarily great illustrators since their real job is to depict interesting motion (with today’s schedules, the reality is that key animation is often rough, and other people are hired to clean it up. Some of it may look like a child’s scribbling, but that rough work details how the models are to -move-). Sometimes they intentionally warp character art to see what they can get away with, as well as to plant their signature on a cut. Typically, the animation director redraws the characters to spec, but in some cases, the director tells him/her to minimize the changes.

At any rate, Yamauchi is a legend. He mentored greats like Junichi Sato and Kunihiko Ikuhara, so he certainly knows what he’s doing. However, he has been experimenting with a new style (starting with Casshern Sins – guess it’s now a mark of -his- individuality) that not everyone likes.

11. I think this episode’s animation was horrendous. It reminded me of the low budget work they did on Birdy the Mighty: Decode:02. To call this a ‘style’ and say you like it is laughable (personal opinion, not a jab at you.) The people producing this are professionals, and to take one episode, which provides insight into Queer Rats and their organizational structure, and crap on it, is kind of sad. Sure Queer Rats are ugly, but that doesn’t mean the episode about them had to be.

• Reverse says:

Birdy low budget ? stop spewing bullshit. unless you got data to back it up . frankly studio don’t released it budget data , inb4 nitpick frame to prove your no point

but base on the animator and people involved on that episode, i surely isn’t low budget that is for sure

also all animator ( minus kyoani studio ) got paid by frame, not the quality the frame it produce. it pretty much the same paid

if you saying i hate this frame = low budget
      your just stupid

• Hogart says:

Pro tip: calling someone’s opinion “laughable” *is* a jab at them.

Moreover, it technically is a style. It just doesn’t match the styles that have become prevalent in modern anime. To you it looks low-budget, to others it looks creative.

Sometimes the budget is blown on something other than in-between animation and CGI shading. Sometimes, the budget for a single episode is so low they have to bring in a pro who can salvage the situation.

Birdy, for instance, clearly ran out of money in season two for a few scenes, so I agree that it was “low budget”. And yet, I was even MORE impressed by what they pulled off, and wish it got the budget of a KyoAni show.

And what about Bakemonogatari? Was it “laughable” too, or does it get a pass? It’s a fine line, and certainly not worth insulting someone for circumstances.

• Hogart says:

Hmm, I was replying to Mr.Moreau, if it wasn’t obvious. That comment wasn’t meant for you, Reverse.

• Commenting on someone’s subjective view by calling them stupid is kind of out of line. I’m entitled to my own opinion. By saying it was laughable means I don’t agree with his viewpoint, I’m not saying he’s wrong in viewing it as such.

There were episodes in Birdy the Mighty where the animation wasn’t up to par with the rest, the high octane scenes where there’s a lot of motion. While I understand what they were trying to achieve, my subjective view tells me that I don’t like it, and if they did pay more for that kind of work, I don’t think it paid off. Here’s an example: http://indiegamedevs.com/images/screenshots/btm-subjective-low-quality.jpg

Granted, every single image can’t be 100% stellar, but at the same time, some of the motion was horrible: http://indiegamedevs.com/images/screenshots/btm-subjective-low-quality-2.jpg

The feel I get from episode 12 of BtM:D:02 is the same that I received from this episode of Shin Sekai Yori.

• Hogart says:

#1: Calling someone’s opinion “laughable” is no better than being called “stupid” for having your own opinion. You’re basically implying that you’re laughing at their opinion. So getting defensive when someone in turn dismissed your own opinion as stupid.. well, you really have no ground to stand on here. Online, people interpret words in the worst possible way, especially when they detect criticism. If you didn’t realize that, then I hope you do now.

#2: As for Birdy, some people were too busy looking at the unique framing, highly kinetic storyboarding, and keen use of contrast to focus on sloppy in-betweens and a few bland backgrounds in dark scenes. I’ve seen amazingly smooth animation that was still so bland I didn’t care that it was painstakingly in-betweened. But Birdy made me WANT to see a full-budget realization of its attempt.. in my books that’s a win. It was memorably different compared to boringly smooth.

#3: Some people just LIKE that kind of brutal, raw, uncertain animation when they’re watching a brutal, raw, uncertain scene. Some people like Picasso, without knowing anything about fine art or cubism. Birdy’s no Picasso, of course, but there’s an undeniable emotional edge to this that some people experience, whether or not you think that was the intent of the director to cover up other flaws (I happen to think it was, and that it was a brilliant choice).

• Interpret it how you will, but there’s one thing I know: what I said and mean, versus how you perceive it: are two different things.

If I say I’m not trying to be offensive, then being offensive is not my goal. No one, not even you can say that isn’t so, you can say how you perceive it, nothing more.

• Hogart says:

Oh, I understand. I just hope you understand what I meant, too. This whole thing could have been avoided if you said what you meant frankly, and not in a way that would easily be interpreted as an insult by others. If you don’t care, fine.

12. MochiRochi says:

I don’t mind the art style. Given that Saki and Satoru were about to do something, I think the art was needed to make them look a bit mature and not so young. I do miss the old one, but thankfully, it’s going to be back in the next episode.

My problem is the faces though. Maria sounded like she was screaming, but her mouth hardly moved. It happened with the other characters too. There was a lot of random smiling too. It took me out of the episode and left me annoyed, instead of interested in what was happening.

13. billish says:

In this case I agree with your assessment, psgels, as I am also for the unconventional change in style to particularly depict emotion in this episode aside from others.

There were some animations that were rough and poor, but it didn’t bother me so much.

As this is your favourite (rated, which for you isn’t always the same) episode of New World, I’d have to agree in this case: This episode actually did something beside the regular, and Satoru’s preceding anoying character in regular social functions really worked for him in this episode. I wasn’t distracted at all by the dialog in this episode as I have been in the past, which effectively eliminates one of my only large criticisms of the show.

• HunterWulf says:

It seems Satoru actually found himself (rather rediscovered himself) in this new world they ventured into .. it’s as if he was unknowingly frustrated by the boring and suffocating sterile controlled life back in the settlements and was expressing that indirectly by being annoying and obnoxious, but once he got his chance to experience a world filled with thrills and danger he actually starts enjoying it and starts acting differently (note that he so far seemed the one most interested in learning stories about the outer world, its creatures and dangers) … this gives the change in his personality in this ep some deeper meaning.

14. jzar says:

I did like it, I loved the camera angels and I enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on. Much o Mini mysteries with this world and I can’t wait to see more. My hat’s off to the animators for being so bold and initiative. So nice to see something different and new.

15. eddiedingle says:

I thought this was the best episode since the first one. Things were a bit disjointed and felt like you were being jolted around, but i feel like that really helped to convey the mood of the episode. The kids are in a strange and unfamiliar place, they just heard a rather long and confusing story from the past, and have lost their power. to that effect I think the animation really put us in the children’s shoes.

16. Ebisu says:

I got bad feelings through the first half of the chapters. The animation or direction (I don’t know who’s guilty) broke the rythm from past chapters but in a bad way. I think it’s because I hate action scenes which use only close-ups.
    I know this kind of episodes should be awesome but this one felt wrong. An undeserved high note, as it was painful to watch for me rather than enjoyable. The scenes could have been done really really really better.

17. HunterWulf says:

I think people are really overreacting with regards to the style change this episode .. for me it just took few moments to get used to but the effect that i think they intended was achieved .. it really gave the episode as a whole a surreal, weird, disjointed feeling .. the whole episode felt like a weird dream (specially with its sexual undertones, bizarre gigantic six-breasted Queerat queen, and dynamic camera work).

It was like those dreams that you wake up from all sweaty and saying “what the hell did i just dream about !!!” …. you try to piece it all together but it feels disjointed, weird and surreal .. that’s the feeling they wanted to invoke .. and seeing we are back to the other style next episode i can say i’m 70% sure this style was meant the way it is to get that feeling through not because of technical difficulties or low budget .. it’s also meant to emphasize the uncomfortable shift in the characters life from their confined, sterile life before in the settlements into a wild, bizarre and crazy world.

Overall it was a very enjoyable episode IMO.

• Bunny says:

I have never experienced waking up sweaty and said “what the hell did I dream about”.

• HunterWulf says:

Well, not all people dream when they sleep, and not all those who have dreams have vivid and crazy dreams .. it differs from person to person .. and this “what the hell did I dream about” thing didn’t happen to me more than two or three times in my entire life XD

18. kraken says:

About Yamauchi, I hope you know that his most famous work is Saint seiya (the best episodes of the serie, and 3 of the 5 movies) and the two DBZ movie Gogeta and Broly.
    And Morio Hatano (Saint seiya Omega) and Tatsuya Nagamine (Heartcatch Precure) were his disciple.

19. Obvious Dude says:

My this episode was so intense. It had me on my edge of my seat the entire time.

20. Suumirae says:

I agree with what some of the people said about the episode feeling rushed and lacking clarity, but the word that you said that struck me was that it had personality. It’s so true~ SO much personality in this episode. I feel like they spent a lot of that thoroughness in the opening episodes and that it’s sort of fun that what started out as a very slow show has gotten so quick and intense.

21. Vanichu says:

Oh, no wonder I felt a strong Casshern vibe! Love this guy. The episode did feel a little choppy here and there, but I didn’t mind it. Just another style I can appreciate.
    Also, the whole sexual tension scene was so well done.

@anon1058019: yep, and we'll get an original film no less. Welp, I don't mind for more Yuri but everything sounds vague for now. Let wait for more details coming
@Tatami: I'm only watch anime but I'm not a fan at all with the show so I can't really help you on that. In fact this season I couldn't get pass episode 2
Tatami
For guys who only watched AoT anime and not the manga, Im curious what do you think of the current season?
Tatami
The recent 2 epsiodes of AoT pretty much confirmed my guesses of who are the Armored and Colossus titans
Yuri on ICE!!! movie has been announced. Prepare for incoming fangirls. :.D
Spike
Zestiria finale was pretty mediocre at best... Ufotable writers really fizzled at the end. :(
Konstantinos here: I have to disagree. I liked the episode and felt they did a good job giving exposition. I like Meteora. That said when Alicertia meets Selesia. Oh boy, that will be a rumble.

On other notes: Attack of the Titan. If they do not pull a bait and switch, we are not in Kansas anymore.

Shingeki no Bahamut: What exceptional animation.
It really does feel like this show is aiming to be something akin to Fate/Zero as that too did have a exposition heavy beginning. Difference here is that series had Urobuchi writting and while the man my be more famous for his murderous treatment of characters, he is a master of presenting exposition.
I hope that's the majority of the exposition done for Re:creators. We established the stakes, rules and factions. So now would be good to focus on the creator and creation interactions plus badass battles.
Honestly I really regret Meteora coming into the story when she's being pretty much a massive exposition device.
Konstantinos Travlos
Hmm the "The Man who Knew 75 Languages" reminds me of the game "The Last Express". Great game. Definitely interested.
moster keaton
ditective conan
@Anon, Pretty sure you are just trying to pick a fight more than defend the show but a decent show to me would be one that is deeply flawed but enjoyable to some degree. Sagrada reset is not this. It goes out of it's way to be unenjoyable. To me it's a 3/4 out of 10 show. Interesting concept but with a presentation so alien that the viewer can't empathise with anything on screen.
I mean, decent warrants about a 5-6. That, in theory, should be an "Average" show.
It's a decent show. You're being overly critical.
In the Out of Competition slot (you think that I'm finished?), 2 films in particular that catch my interest are the Korean Lost in the Moonlight which looks like a fun and lightheart adventure, and the Norway-Poland co-production adult-oriented The Man who Knew 75 Languagues about the star-crossed love between the Queen of Romania and a titular man, I guess
Rounding up the Main Competition are Animal Crackers, a 3G American family film which I don't have good feeling about; Big Fish and Begonia - a Chinese indie film that divided the critics, but gathered skyhigh commercial success in its mainland China; and finally Zombillenium which sounds like an enjoyable European children film
From other countries, most notable films are the Loving Vincent - the first feature length hand painting; the Chinese black comedy Have a Nice Day that premiered in Berlin earlier this year; Ethel and Ernest which already gained a strong reviews from the UK; Tehran Taboo- a German production about the lives of 3 women in Iranian community, which sound exactly like my kinda of film.
Alright, I'm here to bring you news about the selection of this coming Annecy AKA one of the best animation festival out there. 3 of anime features: A Slient Voice, In the Corner of the World and Masaaki Yuasa's Lu over the Wall will compete for the main competition.
I'm a fan of thought-provoking anime (see Lain, Boogiepop Phantom) but I need to care about the story and characters first before I make an effort to dig deeper to the theme. Sagrada Reset failed on that fronts.
It's not really about being smart/dumb here. As a creator, they already have an advantage to know how the story and plot will play out. I don't mind this advantage because otherwise the plot will become a hot mess. But don't use that advantage as a way to widen the gap between them and the audience.
Ugh...Ray Gigant was pretty much mediocre up until this point but now it;s utterly asinine. Whoever decided on this endgame needs to be fired. When you are ready to end a game, no player want a ten floor dungion with a boss on each floor coupled with a goddamn boss rush halfway. Just...fuck.
It must be worse than oremo.
I saw some pages of the eromanga sensei manga and my reaction was that I was sad that it actually existed and stated "why would you even" after looking at it.
As an anime example, sekaisuru kado has lots of dialogue but it seems like it could actually be engaging.
So basically no I don't think we're dumb for not liking sagrada reset, given that myself and Mario are capable of watching genuinely smart wordy things and getting them.
@Mario: I can imagine watching Sagrada reset and thinking I'd rather be watching a Bergman film instead , something also with lots of dialogue and themes but actually engaging/clever and NOT pretentious or obnoxious about it.
is it possible that you are all just dumb?
@Mario: I like how you described it as giving a middle finger to the viewers. It's so true. Like, it tries to be intelligent and make the viewer feel stupid, but it just comes off as obnoxious/pretentious.
CGI remains the worst part of it, but we are getting more and more 2D art which I actually enjoy the style of
Its an improvement. The art is better, and maybe its because I prefer this arc, but the pacing is better as well. I gave last season a 3, but this one is more deserving of a 4 and if they can nail certain scenes coming up I may bump it to a 5.
@Lenlo: How's Berserk doing so far? Haven't picked up last week and this week's episodes.
Ground*. I hate it when I fat finger something.
Thats always the worst, when a story starts off promising and then someone runs it into the grouhnd
@Mario, so it's still at it. To me it's like someone was given an interesting story and made it his mission to ruin it as much as possible.
@Aidan: it's still the same crap. I have a feeling that Sagrada Reset gives a middle finger to us viewers. The plot with development and characters that we have no way to figure out ourselves. The characters who change motive and even personality after each timeline. The main lead girl who act like a robot. I gave this show too many chance so I won't bother to spend more time watching it.
Eromanga sensei
@Mario, Oh ho, what was the dealbreaker? Just that it didn't change or did something really stupid happen?
Sagrada Reset (long sigh) (scratching my head) (eyes rolling). Dropped
Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"

Tsuki ga Kirei – 04 [Passing Shower]

I’m totally impressed with Tsuki ga Kirei thus far. This show has its own voice and after this episode I’m confident that we will have the constant quality in display for the rest of its run. Nothing can beat consistency, I assure you. This week, the kids go to another city for a school trip […]

Sakura Quest – 04 [The Lone Alchemist]

Hmm, I don’t really like the direction Sakura Quest is going for. To be more precise, this episode brings up some questionable variables that I don’t think blended well with the show. The actual story for this week though, is still enjoyable and grounded enough to overcome those concerns. At least for now. This week the […]

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100