Posted by psgels on 31 October 2012 with categories: Monthly Summaries

This season? Delightful! A-1 is on fire with six series at the same time, two of which are the best of their respective season. After years of begging, there are two Akitaro Daichi series airing at the same time. After years of complaining, Shounen Jump adaptations suddenly show their best sides since the OVA of Hunter X Hunter. After years of complaining, Shoujo suddenly is prominent again with actually good characters. There is very little bad fanservice stuff, and there are plenty of series that treat its audiences as adults. Hell yeah, bring this on!

#38 (new) – Onii-chan Blahblah – (2/10) – I refuse to spend any more time to try and get the name of these godawful incest shows right. Dropped.
#37 (new) – To Love-Ru – (2.6/10) – Just make this a hentai already! Dropped
#36 (new) – Busou Shinki – (3.1/10) – This one really was surprisingly bad. I mean the OVA was decent, albeit unremarkable. This was nothing but the most blatant of wish fulfillment with some of the dumbest characters of the entire season. Dropped.
#35 (new) – Aikatsu – (3.5/10) – The CG! The horrible, horrible CG! Dropped.
#34 (new) – Liche Light Club – (3.9/10) – A proper studio should have gotten this. What could have been an incredibly dark and twisted comedy got reduced to badly delivered sadism jokes. Dropped.
#33 (new) – Monsuno – (4.25/10) – Very cheesy kiddie shounen series that moves way too fast. Dropped
#32 (new) – Girls und Panzer – (4.6/10) – Why, Girls und Panzer. Why did you take yourself seriously? Did you seriously think that that would survive in this season? Dropped.
#31 (new) – Wooser no Sono Higurashi – (5/10) – Has a nice idea, that wears off after 30 seconds. Dropped.
#30 (new) – Hidamari Sketch – (6.25/10) – Hidamari Sketch never really hit me. It’s a combination of Shaft and characters that never really appealed to me and never really caught my attention. Dropped.
#29 (new) – Hayate the Combat Butler – (6.5/10) – I still haven’t found a reason to watch Hayate the Combat Butler. It wasn’t particularly annoying or anything, but absolutely nothing grabbed me over the three first episodes that I watched. At this point this series has gotten way too long for me to want to bother with it. Dropped
#28 (new) – Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter – (6.75/10) – Hilariously bad. Seeing little kids who handle actual cars like they’re total pros was worth quite a laugh, but there is no way I’m going to continue with this. Dropped.
#27 (new) – Chuuninbyou demo Koi ga Shitai – (7/10) – Really good animation, but apart from that I have little reason to continue with this show. The characters are annoying, and there is just too little that happens for my tastes. There is much more interesting stuff going on this season, especially considering that there are so many other romance shows airing at the same time that may not be as well animated, but have much more compelling characters.
#26 (new) – Bakuman – (7.25/10) – If Bakuman was just 26 episodes long, it would have made a killer series. I don’t want to bother with it for 75 though. Dropped
#25 (14) – Sword Art Online – (7.4/10) – Well, here is one show that jumped the shark. I really liked the conclusion of the Sword Art Online arc. After that though, the new arc just kept making no sense (I don’t care if it’s explained in the novels), it has the most stereotypically evil villain and I really hate the way in which Asuna has been reduced to a mere damsel in distress, allowing Kirito to expand his harem even more.
#24 (new) – Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun – (7.4/10) – My problem with this series is the male lead. He’s way too forced: on one hand he’s too perfect, on other he’s too flawed. He’s trying to be everything in just one character, making him an unlikable asshole. The female lead deserves better. Because of that I’ve dropped this series. During a quiet season I would have watched it, but there is too much competition that is just more interesting.
#23 (new) – Medaka Box – (7.5/10) – The second season of Medaka Box is… boring. To me it just feels like a parade of over the top characters with crazy powers, but it lacks personality or any kind of engaging story other than “High School” and “Let’s evolve humanity by killing off lots of people”. The new villains aren’t compelling at all and are very much of the same. Will this really end well?
#22 (new) – Ixion Saga – (7.6/10) – My standards for comedy are high: I really want to laugh when I watch one, and Ixion Saga just wasn’t funny enough and it repeated itself a little too much within the three episodes that I watched. Dropped.
#21 (new) – Little Busters – (7.6/10) – I’m beginning to fear that this will end up more like Kanon, rather than Air and Clannad: nice, but ultimately lacking. Air and Clannad were amazing because they went beyond the formulaic “group of sad girls”. With the build-up that we’ve recently gotten here, I don’t see any hints for the same with Little Busters. It’s funny and enjoyable, but the girls have got some major issues. Their acting is pretty bad at points as well, especially the ditzy girl.
#20 (new) – Teekyu – (7.6/10) – … I’m still watching this series. Why!?
#19 (new) – Code: Breaker – (7.75/10) – My problem with Code: Breaker is this: what the hell is this series about? Witht he other series this season, I know what they’re trying to do and convey. Here though, we’re three episodes in and the only thing we know is that a guy is killing bad guys and a girl is trying to stop him. There is no depth to this so far and the terrible comedy during the school scenes isn’t really helping.
#18 (new) – K – (8/10) – K doesn’t have much depth. What it does have however is the best animation of the season and it’s very fun to watch in the way that it combines lot of different plot threads together. It could have been a bit more ambitious with these ingredients, though.
#17 (new) – Sukitte Ii na Yo – (8.1/10) – Here is an interesting romance: it neither claims its male lead nor its female lead as perfect. Everyone is flawed in this series. Also, unlike Kimi ni Todoke, it doesn’t take bloody ages to get somewhere. Its drama is a bit forced at times, and it tends to get a little overboard with jealousy, but it’s quite a charming series.
#16 (new) – Gintama – (8.1/10) – Gintama still has its problems, like how it’s still formulaic how everyone gets beaten to a pulp with lots of drama, only to walk away fine moments late, but the creativity still has me, especially the way in which the Kintama arc ended caught me by surprise.
#15 (new) – Magi – (8.1/10) – Magi is an adventure show. It can be a bit silly at times and it tends to have one-dimensional villains, but it’s fun, and it’s full of creativity. It’s also got an engaging main cast to follow: Ali Baba and Aladdin have a good chemistry together.
#14 (new) – Btooom! – (8.1/10)Btooom shows the ugly side of humanity. It’s got the bad luck that it airs right next to Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure though, because in terms of adrenaline it unfortunately lost by a long stretch. Still, it works as a suspense, even though the bombs aren’t quite realistic. The atmosphere of everyone trying to kill each other works well.
#13 (7) – Shirokuma Cafe – (8.25/10)

This month hasn’t been Polar Bear Cafe’s best, but it still managed to deliver its typical dry humour, sarcasm and corny wordplay. Highlight was the halloween bit.

#12 (new) – Robotics;Notes – (8.25/10)

This show had a slow start, but it’s fun and interesting. The male lead needs a bit of work, but the female lead is quite compelling to watch, and the characterization of the side characters is also pretty good. I’m not going to expect the next Steins;Gate here though.

#11 (new) – Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo – (8.25/10)

This show has really good chemistry. Its characters are all interwoven with each other and even though they seem like really bad clichés at first sight, they soon grow to be much more than that, and much sharper than I imagined.

#10 (new) – Zetsuen no Tempest – (8.25/10)

Fantastic soundtrack, and this show had the best first episode of the season. After that it lost that status when it went a bit too much into building up, but nevertheless this show has great characters, an interesting back-story and excellent action. This can really turn into something amazing with time.

#9 (10) – Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – (8.4/10)

It’s pretty much the same story as usual for Poyopoyo: it’s still delightful slice of life with lots of small relatable scenes that are also really hilarious.

#8 (new) – Jormungand – (8.4/10)

Jormungand’s second season really surprised me with how much it improved over the first one. The characters are actually good, and the villains stopped being snarky and generic. The plot twists were particularly impressive here.

#7 (new) – Psycho Pass – (8.4/10)

Psycho Pass is fascinating. It aims to create these complex moral dilemmas that aim to really make you think. On top of that it’s got some great suspense and an amazing soundtrack to boot.

#6 (15) – Saint Seiya Omega – (8.5/10)

Saint Seiya has really gotten good here. Even a simple recap episode had me at the edge of my seat. It’s simple hot blooded action, but this was done so well in this month with the conclusion of the first half of the show.

#5 (new) – Kamisama Hajimemashita – (8.5/10)

Out of all the romances this season, Kamisama Hajimemashita by far has the best execution. Perhaps the story itself needs a bit more time to get going compared to Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, but the delivery is just perfect: it is really good at combining comedy and drama together, and every single episode is wonderfully built up, ending at an incredibly charming conclusion.

#4 (new) – Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – (8.6/10)

This series definitely is not for everyone, but it really has been a while since I saw an anime with so much adrenaline as in this series. There really have been moments in which I just wanted to yell loudly alongside the characters. This show is just so completely over the top in every single way, and the creators look like they’re having so much fun in the process. The voice actors as well ham it up, but they ham it up with so much passion that it becomes an incredibly addictive series.

#3 (6) – From the New World – (8.75/10)

After one month, this is the series that has made the biggest impression on me. Its setting is completely original, but what also struck me is its consistency in its characterization: it just keeps building further upon the characters and they make this show compelling. I also absolutely love its variety: every episode has been significantly different so far.

#2 (1) – Uchuu Kyoudai – (8.9/10)

The past month for Uchuu Kyoudai has been slow, but incredibly detailed because of this. Especially the latest episode was just amazing in how well it portrayed the shuttle launch, and everything leading up to it. I didn’t get bored for a single moment here.

#1 (3) – Hunter X Hunter – (8.9/10)

This show has surpassed itself yet again this month. The spider troupe is for me the single best evil organization in any shounen ever. They’re just so professional and work so well together. Kurapika on the other hand got some amazing development. And we haven’t even reached the best part yet!

1. Scruffy says:

Oddly enough, the show that is tracking to be a big hit on Stalker atm is ……

drum roll please …

Girls und Panzer.

I guess it’s because it’s sorta like Saki with tanks.

2. meow says:

I’m actually pretty glad you’re finally dropping SAO. As much as I love it, I don’t think it works well with this blog and it’s audience. Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I hope there will continue to be a segment of the anime industry that caters to different tastes, even if they seem mediocre to some.

• Trass says:

did psgels say anything about dropping it?

• meow says:

Hm..well, he ranked it lower than series he actually dropped. I hope he does. It’ll be kinda cruel to just to keep it around if he’s just going to use it to express disappointment. XD I don’t think it really gets better.

• Trass says:

Judging from his posts, I think he’s still going to see it through the end even though he knows well what he’s watching. I’m not him so I’m not sure though…

• meow says:

He’ll probably keep watching it but he’s a working guy, with a tight schedule and too much to watch and review already. At some point, he’s going to burn out. And it doesn’t help that commenter conflicts has made him have to intervene to keep things civil. I’d drop it just to shut everybody up. XD I think everybody has great opinions but somehow this show seems to bring out some of the worst in us. Some of the commentators that had their comments cuts had some really insightful things to say about other series. This is really a matter of tastes that seem to differ incredibly. It’s quite a conundrum.

3. eternia says:

I can’t agree more with your opinion on Btoom’s bombs. Are they really bombs? Not some pretty fireworks? The damage level is too low! The ‘time’ bomb exploded on the kid’s behind, not too far away, yet, he’s barely injured! Next, I thought he’s a goner for sure when Sakamoto threw the ‘hit on contact’ bomb unto his back. Yet, he’s shown to be pretty much fine.

What the hell…

• meow says:

There’s also inconsistency in terms of damage too. Some bombs are one-hit kills. Others can detonate at near-point blank and still be dodged. It’s like some of the players are wearing invisible Gantz suits that others forgot to wear in order to bring to life the mechanics of the game. *shrug* Are the bombs programmed to do less damage to BTOOOM! veteran players based on their in-game rank or something?

• eternia says:

The firecracker should really have killed the kid, from how it’s animated / portrayed. Maybe veteran players has better defense stat, lol. Maybe it’s all Sakamoto’s dream.

• meow says:

Well, somehow Miyuki Sawashiro saw fit to lend her voice to this character so maybe there’s some redeeming quality to him in some way or another. It’s too quick to kill him off? It’s like whacking the big bad guy in a Bond movie half an hour in. The producers need to find a way to get the audience to buy how these bombs seem so deadly to some yet so harmless to others. Doubt if they will though.

4. sam says:

I dropped Kamisama Hajimemashita and never watched Saint Saiya. Except these two shows, I do agree with you on 1-10 !

5. Reso says:

I still think that you should give Girls und Panzer a chance. After watching the latest episode, it is definitely one of the series where at first glance it looks like pure shit.

6. Troy says:

Medaka Box ” will it really end well” well this arc is…necessary once you seen all of the series you see it as an important component of the greater whole, Maniacal laughter: At this peace said greater whole will be completed after two more seasons so good luck.

7. sushiyassin55 says:

I’m saddened to see Little Busters ranked so low…whatever. I’m delighted to see Hunter X Hunter ranked so high and Sword Art Online being ranked so low. Your ranking is finally in agreement with my tastes for the first time ever since I followed your blog, psgels :).

8. Anca says:

You convinced me to pick Saint Seiya Omega back up and to drop Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, which has been boring me silly since the second episode.

As always we don’t agree on comedy though, lol. I love Ixion Saga DT and find Panzerfahren hilarious (thank’s to commie’s awesome subs).

I’m surprised you ranked Btoooom so high though.

9. Reverse says:

jojo rank higher then i expected. cant wait for the second part to come, it would take quite large amount of episode to get there though “sigh”

10. Chiri says:

Girls und panzer don´t take himself seriously enought, it´s like you say Inozuma elevan take himself seriously

11. mike says:

keep watching Girls und panzer!

12. gdgd says:

I also like Teekyu. I think Kill me Baby would have worked a lot better in this format, short and fast-paced.

I really don’t mind the animation if it is funny. Roots previous work, Surumeika, was barely animated (it was all done just by himself).

13. TheUltimateReaper says:

The ratings for this list all seem to be quite fair in my opinion. Of course some of my personal feelings are a tad bit conflicted with some of the reactions to these shows, but nonetheless this list is quite pleasing. Though if I were to say one thing it would be this: I’m enjoying Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun to death. It appears that I have a thing for that shoujo with that type of “male lead”… I’m not sure why really.

• Suumirae says:

Actually I agree with you. While I agree with psgels that he’s really inconsistent it’s nice that at the base of things he’s a goofy character trying to find a way to adjust to his changing environment. Suukite does the “outsiders” thing better dramatically, but I think Kaibutsu has charm in the humour and with how the characters interact. And there are a lot of little things I like seeing in the series that are different from the usual shojou.

I usually agree with the rankings but I was actually sort of surprised a show like Kamisama ranks so high. While I do like some of its creativity due to having Yokai I find it head-achingly cliche. And sort of ironic since their male lead is a lot more shallow/typical as a character. The typical “normal girl” who somehow ends up with a beautiful but bad-natured guy who denies her but will eventually fall for her. I guess the opinion is that the story outweighs that, but like you said yourself its personal preference in what you like in a series.

14. Ebisu says:

Same problem here with Tekyuu, it has something…

“My standards for comedy are high”, well maybe they aren’t high, just your standards.

Ixion can make you laugh a lot (the 3rd episode was weak but the others worked hard in setting their jokes). I think it’s one of those you shouldn’t drop but well… I’m looking forward to see ED gets his balls back one day, though now he has no weakness!

And as said Girls und Panzer is Saki with tanks, though I still don’t know who takes care of the maintenance and repairs on the tanks (-.-).
    It does not take itself so serious, as those deserters should have been court martialed!

15. Kim says:

Like the above poster I am also really enjoying Ixion Saga, not only do I find it funny it has some great acting. I also consider my standards for comedy high (but then who doesn’t). Comedy is of course very subjective. It is one of the series that I eagerly anticipate each week.

The other is From the New World…which of course could not be more different.

16. imredjimmy says:

I think it’s the first month summary where nobody is angry at anyone in the comments section. I’m proud of us people, where’s growing up!!

Nice ranking. Hunter x Hunter is without a doubt also my #1. I’m so happy every week and I love the direction it’s taking. I’m so surprised about Saint Seiya being so high. I think I’ll wait till it’s really over and read your final review to decide if I want to watch it afterall. I’m proud of Jormungand for improving, I wasn’t expecting that and the last two episodes have been my favorite of the series.

Finally, I’m really enjoying Noitamina this season. I love both shows a lot and am always eager to watch them every week.

17. Kamiorika says:

Little Busters is a lot more than the “group of sad girls” formula. You’ll see. Just wait ’till Refrain. It was more heartwrenching than After Story, in my opinion. Especially if you like the guys because they are total bros.

18. Kamen Grinder says:

Your reviews are far better and realist when they’re put into a few words. For once, I’m impressed.

19. meow says:

This week’s Black Flame Master was pretty cool.

20. kazid1 says:

Saint Seiya Omega six???, wtf?. Call me a old guard, that series is !”!)?¡!”#=$ but is your tates pgels, is a shame about SAO, but in this forum is expected to be that low. Code breaker is really really good, Is no that i need to know the back ground to considered a good series. Magi is five or four to me, from the new world uhmm i dropeed in the end that series, a little like the same whit penguin drum, meaby i will see when is finished. The rest is ok.

21. betawatcher says:

I liked Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun better than Sukitte Ii na yo because of the strong female lead, and it made me laugh quite a lot too…

22. Tan-Tan says:

Hunter x Hunter gets number one.

Made my day.

23. KyuRenjo says:

Keep Girls und Panzer. It’s okay if you chose to not blog it (or just pack it in one post with other anime like what you do last season), but keep it for a while.

Overall nice summary, score is a preference; but lists that you drop and you keep are very good.

24. Toki says:

I think some people are ashamed to say they like Girls und Panzers. I watched the first episode and so far Im aways waiting for the new. Althrough the idea is appeling, this show is a good entertainment with a pleasurable positive mood and brings something new, this thing of tanks fights. And these fights are really good. In my view, this serie is as interesting as Robotic;Notes.
    I was disappointed when I read that the Chuuuninbyou characters are annoying. Besides them have a unique charisma, I never laughed so much with a character that doesnt grimace or scream even smile, as Rikka-chan. Due to the design, voice acting, plot and style of comedy, Chuuninbyou filled the gap left by Hyouka in this season.

• Reso says:

I will go really far and say that I think that one could easily compare Girls und Panzer with AKB0048. Both are set in some wacked ass setting. You had your idols, labeled as terrorists, traveling the universe against an greater power, that despised entertainment of all forms, to pursue and protect their dream, their fans, and everything they hold dear. And in this world, girls compete in tank warfare because that’s apparently what they do in this world, alongside flower arrangement and stuff. Okay, so it isn’t as wacky as AKB, but I still think it’s wacky when you ask yourself, “What happened in this world that tank warfare went hand-in-hand with flower arrnagement?”

You have your girls, all of which have histories that make them (or not) want to do the things that they want to do. Both series features exciting battles. Seriously that first tank battle against another school was amazing. The idol mecha battles were exhilirating, and I’m expecting the tank battles to be just as thrilling as well.

Please reconsider dropping Girls und Panzer. You don’t even have to blog, just watching it would be tremendously better than dropping it on the first episode.

If there is anything that AKB0048 taught, it was expect the unexpected. I used to do a first episode drop as well, but after watching AKB, I changed it so I’d watch 5 episodes first, and if still hasn’t caught my attention, then I’d drop it.

• Reso says:

Wait, okay. tl;dr I think Panzer is a proportionally dumbed-down and not-as-well-executed version of AKB0048, but considering how jaw-dropping AKB was, I think you should give ANY anime a chance beyond the first few episodes before you drop anything.

25. rufe says:

Allow me to assure you Little Busters is not going to be just another sad girls show. Actually I thought Kanon was fantastic as well, but it did just go through the girls’ arcs one after another.

26. Mary says:

HxH as first… now I’m happy

27. Tiniak says:

How the fuck are you rating from a thousand lol come on son!

28. Suffoni says:

Loosen up and give GuP another try.

@K-off: Where you particularly far into that manga? Also what was its title? Also I've noticed that rape/quasi-rape =woman becoming attracted has been around in Japanese film even in the 60s.
Well fuck, getting NTR'd out of nowhere in a romance manga sure does feel like an insult, much less a tremendous waste of time. I really should look into whether or not a manga has ntr before I start reading it.
Ah, dominion tank police and AD police, reminding me of my genuinely love of the anime medium.
@Mario, So that was you. I was thinking maybe it was bot of some sort. Accepted the request so you can try sending me something again.
@Aidan: Btw, did you receive my Skype message? I was kicked out from the old Skype account so I had to make a new one and I sent you some texts but not sure if you've recieved it
Well, we're half way of the season already so I might stick with Youkoso. But it's telling that even after watching its episode I don't bother to write up about it... I will give Gamers a full review thou when it ends.
@Aidan: which is great (that they have forgotten about the gaming aspect. Normally, I disapprove of miscommunication in romance/drama but they play it for laugh x 5 times it's rather outrageous, in a good way.
You could drop Youkoso for Gamers you know. I could tell you are not very much into it and I admitly feel like I overestimated it. It at least tries to be above usual light novel fare but is still kinda meh.
@Mario, for some odd reason I kept watching Gamers and it really has forgotten about the whole gaming aspect. It's literally all about the messed up love pentagram now. These people have worse communication disorders than Komi does.
hmmm, anime convention will happen around my place tomorrow. When I say "around my place" it's 3 hours away so I'm not sure if I will come down there. Don't feel really excited to go to be honest.
OMG, Gamers escalates to the whole new labyrinth of misunderstandings... and I'm digging it. I should've blogged this one instead. Amen
@Lenlo, Nioh is something I am going to get to playing soon. Though first I will be getting through Horizon.
Nioh was phenomenal. Was different from Dark Souls in all the right ways.
Your right, there have been so many great games: Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, as well as the upcoming Mario are all instant classics, and besides that there have been a bunch of other solid fun games like Sonic, Splatoon, Pyre etc.
@Mario: Really just sit down and watch it kind of film.
@Mario: I just got back from Ancien and magic tablet/napping princess/hirune hime/whatever its title. In brief, the fantasy scenes are the highlight and its cute, charming family adventure anime film with alot of heart/endearment, runs on kind of too long and could have had more of a story though.
It says something in a year of great videogames when I can really recommend a Sonic game. Sonic Mania is a good platformer, with great control, charming visuals, great music and level design that feels more readable than the last games I've played in this series.
@Mario, Pres and delinquent girl is my favourite but I still hope the Kuudere couple shows up. This week was hilarious with the little sister trying to get back at her brother's girlfriend only for the girlfriend to know it was her immediately and start screwing around.
Mine is Takurou - Chizuru (the red hair boy and orange hair girl in this week's last segment. Maybe because I have a penchant for weird girl :/
Tsurezure Children... makes my heart melted again. Those who still watch it, who are your favorite couples?
@Kaiser: and I will give you a review on... new spiderman movie or whatever. My friend drags me to watch it with her tonight, and I haven't watched any spiderman installment since the one in 2007. Well, whatever...
@Mario: I will review Hirune-hime tomorrow night hopefully. Also I have seen all his ghost in the shell work, Moribito and Eden of the east but never Cyborg 009 .
This was a long time ago however.
I can remember my dads car got its window smashed then stolen, twice =<
@Kaiser Insurance by itself won't hold you back at all, but getting a new car certainly will. The down payment alone will set you back a couple grand and you likely won't pay off the car for about 2-4 years.
@Aidan Jeez, my condolences. @Kaiser Auto insurance covers most accidents and the rates won't go up so long as it's not your fault and you have evidence to prove it (like a dashcam).
Financially will it particularly hold you back on things like rent, etcetera?
But in all seriousness, that is one of the big reasons I haven't learned to drive, fear of that kind of thing happening, actually I think that might put me off driving if it happened to me.
The car incident is an obvious assassination attempt and conspiracy . Easily avoidable by investing in transport by Dragon .
@K-Off, Lightly hit the side of a Van coming out of T junction. Left light smashed,front bumper and bonnet damaged. Gotta pay for that and the vans side door.
@Aidan Ouch. What happened to it?
Yep. Crimson red. Maybe I was tempting fate.
@Aidan: you should blame your car because it's new and shiny it's more accident prone than others. Did you mention your car is red??
Man isn't it great having a new car. It's also great when you crash your new car and now have to pay hefty repair fees. Fantastic. No injuries or anything but it's going to be a pain to repair.
Princess Principal write-up will have to wait this time tomorrow guys. Sorry for those who wait but nothing can stand a chance against my madness for Monogatari now
I still have a bunch of old anime vhs tapes in my attic yes, would take forever to list though.
movies4life
What to say about "one punch man" ?
movies4life
You have still VHS tapes as well in your anime collection ? (me 40)
Hard to believe I've been at this anime/manga thing since I was 11 and am now in my 30s.
@Boukensha: for this site specifically most of us are like you. On and off with anime; burnt out, move on with life and back again... this why I believe the readers who read this site are slightly older than your average anime audience there.
OldManBoukensha
I think I'll call myself OldManBoukensha. Hope the name sticks (this is the anonyperson)
OldManBoukensha
Thanks for the recommendations @SuperMario and @Kaiser-Eoghan san! Sometimes feels surreal how time has flown, started watching anime and discovered psgels in uni... fast forward 12 years and I hit 30 this year. lots of great memories, eagerly waiting for blog posts for favourite animes like mushishi, seirei no moribito, FMA. ah good times. Thank you for taking the baton and keeping it lively :)
... and it's never too late to set up your permanent username now :)
@Anon1329673: if you had to pick up 1 show this season, then yes Made in Abyss. I'd also recommend Princess Principal as well. For slice of life office, Shirobako? There's a show running this season from the creators of Shirobako, not neccessary set in an office place but they are about adult working as well; the name is Sakura Quest
@Anon: Hataraki man perhaps?
whenever I visit here I wish I had picked a permanent username. been reading psgels since 2005 :)
and do you know of any slice of life office life anime to recommend? I loved fune wo amu from last season. melancholic yet intimate, bittersweet anime
Hey guys, what's the best show running this season? Seems to me Made in Abyss ? If I had to pick up one show, which one would you recommend?
@Mario That's the most common method of getting compromised nowadays, even a lot of youtubers got their channels hacked because of vulnerabilities with the phone carriers.
So naturally, Reflection and Ranbu will be delayed tomorrow because of a move. Last for abit. I promise. Hectic time :P
alright, 18if down. Now's the time that I've been looking for this season. Go watch Owari nowwww
Yep, the author laid out how he wanted it to end before he died. Can't say how the new guy did as the English translation of the novels has not caught up that far.
@Aidan: These were presumably written from notes left behind by the author? Is there a disconnect in quality between the non-original author novels and the ones he wrote?
Also the Familiar of Zero novels are better than the anime. Now, not shakespeare but the anime did not really adapt them well. The novels took the plot a little more seriously while the anime went full slapstick with it.
@Kaiser, I was talking about the novels, not the anime. Someone jumped in to write the last two novels.
Of course things have changed, its been so many years since I saw the initial seasons, I couldn't tell if I'd still care.
Didn't really work in familiar of zeros case though , third and fourth seasons were a decline.
A famous example was Itazura na kiss, author died from having stuff collapse on her , anime finished the story.
@Anon, Likely not now that the author is dead. There are some occasions where people jump in to complete the work like Familer of Zero but in most cases it is just left unfinished.
@Movies, Watched about ten episodes and then just never got back to it. I thought it was alright.
@Amagi, Indeed. Hopefully they won't be around that much.
Apocrypha is pretty good when the MCs aren't around
@Movies: Yes, stopped after he got the powerup and then the manga went on a long hiatus, I liked the art though, the anime was tedious though, filler-y and censored.
movies4life
You guys remember d.Gray-man ?
...I think one of the two working on highschool of the deads manga died/
@anon1327403: funny that you mentioned Highschool of the Dead because I'm planning to watch that one real soon. But to answer your question, as far as I am aware of, no, there isn't any announcement regarding the new adaptation.
Does anyone know if High School of the Dead will ever be picked up by another person
I'm still watching stuff though, just finished the Cobra ovas last night, fun camp in the flash gordon/Barbarella vein, though it misses the soundtrack from the old 80s version.
I love a good Bond type spy thingnow and then but I'd LOVE to see a more serious anime take on the genre.
If kakegurui is enjoyable in the same way a trash-exploitation film is I could see myself watching .
Count me in for those who weren't happy with the progress of abyss' manga.
Then again my gaming days are long long in the past for the most part. The humour in gamers would just turn me off now, I've lost interested in most anime comedy.
I was aware of ANN being down, for the most part I really only skimmed their articles. I wish sega would just put Sonic down, its been on decline for so long.
@KTravlos: have fun with whatever you doing in the next 10 days mates. And if you have time, sample Princess Principal as well
I will be off the net the next 10 days, so sorry if I do not answer any replies etc. Have a good time all! See you later.
took the hiatus of my shows as a chance to sample the current season. Saw first episodes of Kakeguiri, Abyss, and Altair. Kakeguiri and Abyss really did have great first episodes, that grab you. Altair was a bit too old-fashioned, but I will probably continue watching it. Kakeguiri had excellent OP and ED, while Abyss had in general great music. And yeah, you guys were not kidding about beauty
And I still enjoy Gamers thoroughly. Not sure if it can keep up with the misunderstanding mess about relationships from the main cast but so far the show is hilarious
so now I know about why ANN did not work. @Holystockings yes, again I should detest it for many things it has, but they pulled it off and I like it.
Holystockings
I'll be honest here. I would have never guessed that Kakegurui would have been this good.
@AidanAK47 This year there have been a lot of good games. Too many to play seriously. I do wonder how deliberations would be since more than scores or genres I don't feel a all out winner, more than different games excelling at different things.
So finally finished Kado, and I have to say I am not a fan of the shark jump.
Really? Had no idea about the news network site
Also too many games coming this month. SubaHibi, Sonic Mania and Ys Seven. Not to mention cold steel now out. I still need to get blood orange complete and in comes a small, medium and two extra large time sinks.
And in other news Voltorn season three is out but only seven episodes long. With another fourth season coming in October which is 6 episodes long. I wonder why Netflix are spilting up seasons like this?
So, not sure if anyone has heard this or not but the Anime News Network site has been hacked. Hence why you can no longer access it.
@Mario: blancanieves was modern silent take on snow white, a different spin on the story.
@Mario: Fun fact, Mitchum appears in a cameo in the cape fear remake.
ha, I wouldn't mind seeing a gag in a comedy manga series where they did a silent throwback episode.
The expressionist visuals of some of those silent films appeal to me.
My only issue with maddin is that he is hard to marathon, that style as unique and funny as it is only works in small doses.
La Antenna was another good example of modern silent filmaking. Annnnd, this one is SUPER obscure/rare: http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.ie/2013/11/yumemiru-yoni-nemuritai-kaizo-hayashi.html
It's like this: The Artist gets the "look" of silent film, but Guy Maddin's works get the "feel" of it
I can remember Mitchum was in an underated remake of the big sleep...
...though you could really tell even just from listening to him speak he was a pothead.
@Kaiser: I agree with you that Guy Maddin's works are more of a representative of neo-silent than the Artist (the Artist is just so... wide-appealing for my taste. It tries to please everyone). I always feel that Maddin is born in a wrong era. Had he born in the silent era he'd definately be a legend.
@Kaiser: I don't blame the audience from the 50s who didn't get the film. I didn't quite get it the first time either but the film just keep growing on me. I remembet Robert Mitchum in his noir detective role as well, most notably his role in Out of the Past. The lead girl in that movie has a very typical femme fatale look as well, which mean she's gorgeous
@Mario: I've been looking into Guy Maddin's work, its occasionally funny in an absurdist way and alot of the appeal comes from how strange his films are, while I think that film the artist was a good take on silent films, Maddins tributes to silent film are far more successful.
@Mario: People weren't ready for night of the hunter in the 50s, one of those baffling situations that it flopped when originally released, frustratingly that director never got to work again. For me I think that was one of Robert Mitchum's best roles, along with his one in Cape fear.
Ahhh, clumsy finger. Whatever...
*Diary kf the Country Priest of course
Should get into Diry of the Countey Priest soon, but consider it's Bresson's movie I have no doubt it'll be hard to swallow. Also the priest in The Night of the Hunter
@Mario: =) All priest films quiver before the might of Diary of the country priest, Nazerin and Winter light.
@Kaiser: in the same vein with Spotlight, right? 2016 wasn't a good year for priest in movies it seems
Oh, that guy also directed El Club, I liked that one, seriously grim story about exiled priests.
@movies4life: Gin no Guardian is a bif meh for me.
I watched No at the time of its release. Good watch although I don't remember much of it now. Not only they have the same actors as Neruda, those films are directed from the same director. This fude also directed Jackie last year that star Nayalie Portman as the First Lady
@Movies: The other Chinese anime attempts aren't any better I hear.
movies4life
Watch in a day the whole season of Gin no Guardian. Is have so much potential in story and animation but somehow something missing. maybe is just for growing up Kids
@Anon, Like SAO season 2 then. Myself and a friend tried to watch that for the sole reason of taking the piss out of it. Ended up not finishing it because there wasn't anything to take the piss out of because barely anything happened each episode and it was so boring that we couldn't take it anymore.
I have seen "The Secret in their Eyes". A good film. I do recommend "Neruda", and the film "No" which as some of the same actors.
People thought they were 'ironically' watching a bad movie until they realized the movie's so bad it can't even be enjoyed on an ironic level.
I am not surprised that the Emoji movie is bad. But I am quite astonished that people seem to be surprised that it's bad.
Gah, I would hate that, having to put up with a kid in cinemas, having to see , having to financially benefit some anti-art film like that.
movies4life
and i watch Emoji with my daughter....I fall asleep
Secret in the eyes remake was pretty much pointless.
Anon-The virgin witch
I am entirely too old to place any care or importance on whether I sleep with someone or not/ever.
I am entirely too far behind to catch up on monogatari.
I enjoy the surrealism that is present in some Latin filmaking. As for secret in their eyes, its got that great stadium scene and twist later on, though some of the exchanges between actors/characters seemed awkward, overall while I liked it, it felt like an extended tv episode.
I'm also looking forwards to listen to their new OPs. Mnogatari's soundtrack is the only anime soundtrack that I bought a physical CD. Still listen to all those songs quite frequently
Since it is confirmed that there'll be 7 episodes, I think it'll be: Mayoi Hell (2 episodes), Hitagi Rendezvous (2), Ougi Dark (3)
So Owarimonogatari will air in 2 days. I honestly don''t know how I should review it (by episode? by each arc? by day? Rating or not?) but dang I'm gonna review it.
You can try another Latin American film, The Secret in Their Eyes (not the REMAKE one). There was a 10 minutes unbroken (CGI) shot that follow the leads in the football stadium to look for their suspect. Quite impressive
@KTravlos: I missed my chance to watch Neruda when it was screening in my local cinema; but I've heard good things about the film. People said it's an unconventional but effective biopic film. The more I watch Latin American cinema, the more I feel the unique charm from the area that I don't feel anywhere else.
Still, weird manga because its kind of increasingly obvious that the people behind Nana are the bad guys .-. They are just overly sinister.
So skipped third chapter and just read fourth chapter of Talentless Nana. Ok, seems like it might have more of hook now? Villain protagonist vs hero antagonist?(who also can't be killed off first because they are immortal, so she would need to figure out how to deal with him first)
@Anon. Nobody cares mate.

@SuperMario. Hey I watched Neruda last week. It was interesting. Have you seen it?
@Anon, Well we can all make up imaginary sexploits, it's not really something worth bragging about. Perhaps fanfiction would be a better outlet?
I enjoy posting on obscure anime blog chat boxes about my sexploits. ᕕ( ⏒ ロ ⏒ )ᕗ
movies4life
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
I'm also as of now noticing this Isekai trend. And to be honest the most disappointing aspect for me, is how formulaic the worlds are. This is also a complain in RPGs. But I don't get how like 7 or more of this, feels like the setting could be the same world. I don't know, I just think there should be ways to make each feel more unique.
I went to Chicago and bought a Switch and lots of manga. I was happy with my choices. Murcielago is a violent buddy cop. Delicious Dungeon is a creative take on a dungeon crawler setting and funny. The 7th garden is a well composed manga, if anything a good example for sequential art reference. I also read several chapters of Mushoku Tensei, which is Isekai but heck it did made me care.
It's like the difference between reading Konosuba and watching Konosuba. I read the novels up to date and while it's fine it's like reading the script to a comedy skit. It's not nearly as entertaining as seeing it in action. The animation and actors just added so much more to it.
@Puran, I actually agree with you on that. I read the manga before watching the anime and couldn't really get into it. However I felt that things would change when seeing it animated and indeed it did. Currently I would place the anime adaption above it's source material.
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
Puran
@Anon, thank you for the update on your sex life.

In other news, I read the manga for Made in Abyss and I didn't really like it...? Felt kinda boring and soulless? While the anime seemed to have some sort of magic and wonder. It kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the Anime. I think I'll drop it for a while and marathon it later to let the bad taste from my mouth subside.
@Anon, That's virgin talk.
Anonymous1320940
my girlfriend is coming back home and I am so looking forward to getting my cock sucked again. Sex starved since Wednesday
@K-off: Genuinely missed Tsugumi when her character got the axe.
Getting the made in abyss post up tonight but it looks like the other two are going to have to wait. Kakegurui's sixth episode will be airing this week and Fate's episode won't be subbed until friday. I will see if I can get secondhand subs to do a writeup but I would prefer to watch it with UTW subs.
The spin-offs are actually a good read because it's essentially similar to the opening few chapters of the main story.
Ah seoul station, that director (or at least the animator) has done some other animated films that I've yet to get round to.
@K-off: Maybe a sequel or more spinoffs planned? I've not read any of the spinoff come to think of it.
The film was interesting, but I remember I watched it after Train to Busan and its animated prequel so I found it lacking in comparison.
I'll just say that the manga does not end climatically nor in any interesting way. It ends up focusing on a new set of characters near the end (what kind of writer thinks that's a good idea?) and rushes the MC's story.
The film adaptation of I am a hero is better than it has any right to be.
*sci-fi
@K-off: Everything after the sci-twist started going downhill. I haven't read the final chapter yet.
@Kaiser Did you catch up on I am a Hero? Just finished it and...I feel like the series seriously fizzled out halfway through. I'd like to talk about the ending if you have.

18if – 07 [And now There are none…]

This episode is one of the reason why I am glad that I’m still putting my faith on 18if, an episode that displays a complete different range of visual style, and a satisfying children’s story about friendship as a cherry on top. There’s a lot to love here, from the beautiful aesthetic that heavily influenced […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 05 [The City of the Lighthouse]

After a three-week break, Shoukoku no Altair returned today with an episode reminiscent more of its first three than its last. If you’ve been reading these posts for the last couple months, you’ll know that’s not a good thing, at least from where I’m sitting. We were awash in exposition and timeskips again this time […]

Classroom of the Elite – 06 [There are Two Kinds of Lies; One concerns an Accomplished Fact, the Other concerns a Future Duty]

Youkoso embraces its true nature this week, pulling off some resolves that are pulpy, but clean up nicely the conflicts they present this episode. With episode 6, not only class-D settles the accusation from class-C; they set up, and quickly resolve, Sakura’s stalking issues and gives a much-needed concern regarding Ayanokouji’s own agenda behind his […]

Re:Creators – 17 [The Rain’s Rhythm Shoots Down on the World’s Roof]

If you are still remaining faithful to Re:Creators over the course of months on end, then this is the episode where all the buildups and exposition pays off in dividends with the grand opening of the ‘Elimination Chamber Festival’. Characters with long standing grudges square off, insert songs being played back-to-back, and Studio TROYCA really […]

Made in Abyss – 06[Seeker Camp]

I feel like Riko has been naked quite a lot in this series and I thank god that it’s not treated in a fanservice manner. That may be something that should be par for the course but with my experience in anime it often takes every opportunity to throw in some fanservice. At this point […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 07[Where Freedom Lies]

As a Fate fan I can state for certainty that this series does have a problem of having a bit too much anticlimax. Which is a problem that may affect all Chuuni style stories come to think of it. I love the series but I can say that I don’t think any of them truly […]

Kakegurui- 06[Tempting Woman]

Here’s where these betting games get really out of control as we have an elaborate setup which likely cost quite a lot of money to make and only serves to make this bet possible. Before I made the choice of ignoring the general nonsensical rules of the school however now I think that I should […]

The Reflection – 4 [New Orleans]

The Reflection shows its strengths this week with strong character arcs, a deepening overall plot and some subtleties with its setting. Only thing left to fix is the frame count, but i’ve beat that horse to death, so let’s just jump right in. Reflection opens up the episode right after the end of last weeks. […]

Princess Principal – 06 [Case 18 Rouge Morgue]

We have a very tender Princess Principal episode this week. Instead of exciting spy action like previous weeks, we get to the place that is largely ignored by the rest of the world: a morgue. A place where they’re near the dead than the living, where time just passes by slowly but endlessly. A place […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100