Posted by psgels on 7 November 2012 with categories: Magi

I see that it’s a bit of a challenge for this series to balance out its morals and stories. What I mean by that is the following: the past episodes focused all on this community of ordinary people who are about to be annexed, and a lot of focus was put into not fighting, resulting even in the death of the village elder as she tried to promote her ideas. Those ideas got through, the villagers decided to abandon fighting… only for the main characters to pick up their arms instead and slaughter the enemy nevertheless. Screw negotiations.

It’s obvious why they did it of course: the villain in this episode could not be talked out of his plans, but still: this set-up does deminish the storlyline for the tribe a bit: these two stories next to each other don’t really strengthen each other. Yet, this is still much better than Sword Art Online, which doesn’t even seem to care about its unimportant characters. Magi definitely does care about them, and that care definitely made it through in this episode.

Also, this arc seemed to be for Aladdin to realize what his purpose is, and to meet other kinds of genies and magi that also were there to select kings. I’m definitely feeling the grandeur of this setting with this, and this episoe showed that there is so much more to this setting than what has been shown so far. And really: I like the village elder a lot more than I thought I would. Because of that, her realization of what Aladdin is at the end of this episode made all the more impact.
Rating: 5/8 (Great)

1. HunterWulf says:

I don’t think set-up did diminish anything .. there are times for negotiations and times for fighting .. if Aladdin wasn’t there and did what he did to save Hakuei and the Kouga clan, Hakuei would have been brutally killed and the entire Kouga clan would have been wiped out by Ryosai … at least if that happened they would have had every right to fight that bastard Ryosai as there is no reason to hold back anymore if he is destroying their village and attacking with intention of mass murdering them with no one to hold him back .. the old woman Baba only established that it is worth it to negotiate and use diplomacy if the other side is willing to and if avoiding bloodshed is possible … she didn’t ask them to just sit here and die while the enemy attacks them.

Either way this episode did have so many tense and amazing moments this episode, so far IMO this is the best episode in the show, Baba’s death indeed left its mark on the characters and viewers alike .. i’m glad she didn’t just die unceremoniously at the beginning of the episode, but she fought her pain and severe injury in order to preserve the lives of her clan people .. fantastic character.

Hakuei also had her share of awesome moments, from Djinn aided magical-girl-esque kick-ass transformation with wind powers, to her impressive confidence in-front of the Kouga swordsman trying to attack her, to her genuine anger when she grabbed a sword and tried to challenge Ryosai to a duel despite her desperate situation and exhaustion .. all in all i certainly want to see this character more and more … her Djinn Paimon isn’t any less interesting than her .. surely live up to her name sake (a Djinn made of Love and Chaos) with her wind powers, looks and remarks (i will only help Hakuei whom i have fallen for XD) .. although i have to say i didn’t expect to see pierced exposed nipples in a show like Magi XD

Also good to see Aladdin doesn’t suffer from the “i don’t want to kill anyone even the bad-guys who are murderous maniacs” syndrome that many shonen heroes suffer from .. when he gets serious .. HE GETS SERIOUS .. he blew up a bunch of guys with his magical spell (called “Infigar” which means explosion .. and yeah it’s in arabic) then he proceeded without a hint of hesitation to smack-punch Ryosai to his sorry humiliating death .. now that’s how things are done … he surely has a very strong sense of justice and doesn’t hesitate to outright kill people if they can’t be talked out of their evil ways like Ryosai.

And better that he also came to terms with his identity and is moving on from that to discovering how this whole “selecting the next king” business actually works … in fact i think they intentionally made Aladdin unable to fully summon Ugo (i.e his missing head which looks weird no matter how many times i see it) just to overshadow some of the plot points that the Djinn talk about whenever Ugo encounters one.

And nice to see someone still remembers Goltaz and he actually turned out to be a member of the Kouga clan which is a nice way to tie loose ends together and make the world feel connected .. RIP Goltaz.

2. Trass says:

I agree with HunterWulf.

Though like I said in the shoutbox the other time, there are lots of differences from the manga. These differences however, do not change the course of the story at all. At least so far.

One of the most obvious ones is the part where Hakuei transforms. Djinn Equips aren’t introduced until much later in the story, so in the manga, Hakuei just used Paimon’s powers. She didn’t transform.

One more thing is the fact that Aladdin casted Halharl Infigar when technically he isn’t supposed to know anything about magic just yet.

Now I am really curious about where they’re trying to go with this. They’re not that major and didn’t really hurt the story, so it isn’t exactly a bad nor good thing at the moment. But if done right, I think they might be able to create something even more amazing than the manga.

• HunterWulf says:

I suppose by introducing those elements early on they seem to aim to get to the good parts quickly and compact the length of the story without sacrificing too much … as someone who didn’t read the manga i didn’t feel any dissonance from these elements .. Aladdin could have studied magic in the huge library he was living in (or whatever that place was) since from the flashbacks he seems to be reading a ton of books all the time .. also Hakuei seemed like she cleared a dungeon some time ago and was well acquainted with her Djinn Pion and knows how to use the full extent of her powers (limited as they might be without a Magi like Aladdin) … at least that’s how an anime viewer would view those elements in context of the anime.

• Trass says:

“And is it me or did the kid with Hakuei have a Djinn imbued weapon too (Twin swords) .. he seemed to have abnormal powers when he blew the soldiers weapons out of their hands (if that’s the case wonder why that Djinn didn’t appear) !!?”

The one he uses doesn’t have a djinn inside it. He doesn’t use a Metal Vessel, like Hakuei. His weapon is a Household Vessel which borrows the power of Hakuei’s Paimon. Meaning he can’t use that power without Hakuei around.

..This doesn’t count as spoiler does it?

• HunterWulf says:

No, not really a spoiler at all .. thanks for the clarification .. i had doubts his weapon was wind-powered because of Hakuei ‘s Djinn wind-imbued item but i wasn’t sure that’s the case XD

3. TheUltimateReaper says:

Genie breasts.
    I still can’t get over that. The Japs are so anal about that sort of thing, ah, I just couldn’t help but crack up and revel over it.

Magi definitely has my interested. On one hand the characters seem so soft and “good guy” type, yet this show isn’t afraid to show blood or slaughter a bunch of soldiers. This sense of justice and realism is rare, and I like it.

• Trass says:

It gets even darker very quickly, as far as adventure shounens go.

• Trass says:

Oh one more thing, in case you didn’t know, the author was a girl. She thought up that Genie breasts idea of course.

Kind of surprising with all the boob jokes and all, huh.

• AidanAK47 says:

@Trass, that doesn’t surprise me. Strange enough some of the most sexist fiction in the world is created by woman. Weird huh?

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Perhaps not all females are so bent up over feminism as men are. In my opinion, there are feminists both male/female and then there are normal human beings who really don’t care about cliche, stereotype or gender.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

In my opinion it’s usually the women who have the balls and write some of the most interesting stuff out there. I really like the design for the genies actually, and to be honest, the female Djinn had some killer character design. Very tasteful. I’m looking forward to Magi.

• HunterWulf says:

Yeah, part of it probably is that female writers/artists aren’t afraid of being called sexist when they pull off boob-jokes or show female nudity .. etc etc.. they don’t have to worry about that or other similar accusations used against male writers/artists on regular basis XD

• Moon Trace says:

Can tell you right now. No Djinn where’s a shirt whether it’s male or female.

4. Moon Trace says:

Actually it doesn’t dimish the story with the Kouga. Thing is that the princess and someone who is clearly an outsider is fighting against them. In this case if anyone brings up the situation with the someone higher in the Kou, it will be only the individuals and not the entire group that get focused on. Even if the villain gets to speak on the matter he can’t say that the kou were the ones to stop him.

5. mike says:

Whats is not better than SAO?!

6. ender650 says:

This episode was very good. A-1 is doing a great job adapting the manga. I would certainly consider this to be one of the best shonen series in recent years.

7. Entrav says:

Awesome conclusion just like the manga. Tons of potential.

Customize
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.
Usually when you go camping in Yellowstone or Yosemite the tourist industry kills those places, like I'd be on a rowboat and see cars, cabins, and people from a long ways offshore. The Adirondacks are nice because their building codes mandate construction to be hidden behind trees.
@Bam My favorite camping spot is the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I went there probably 4-7 times and never get tired of the place. No, I don't have any posts for now, but for future reference consider combining episodic reviews when you get behind. I.E. Episode 6-8 Review
Bam
Also there's a reader in the comment section of Berserk 07 who wants to know if we have a notification system. I vaguely remember a widget that links the site to a FaceBook page. If anybody knows how that works, or if it's still functional, please shed some light on the matter for him/her. Thx.
Bam
@Aidan @K-off @Mario either one of y'all has any post near completion? I'm almost done with Berserk 08 and as previously mentioned, really prefer not to put two reviews up back to back. I think the length of them is already a hassle for some to get thru, let alone two right after eachother. I think it hurts the viewership, but if nothing's on hand then I'll guess I'll just finish up and post mine.
Bam
@Kaiser: I was actually camping near a mountain, but aren't all mountains somewhat holy? That could be my bias tho, since I was raised on the Alborz mountain range, and for me there is something therapeutic about the mountain air.
Yes! Looks like the shoutbox is fixed and not deleting posts after 24 hours anymore!
lol Or you could live in the shitty suburb where I do and spend your time just waiting for when your internet connection randomly cuts out twice a month or as it has the past few days two-three times a day.
Basically bam went up the Holy mountain .
@Mario: ....guy I know who loves war films and I've ended up inadvertedly/un-intentionally gotten him to buy some fucked up Polish horror film that just happens to be set in WW2. lol he's going to be pretty freaked out when he watches it.
Bam
Everything been cool here? Hehe ... looks like I conveniently missed all the hard parts.
Bam
@Mario: thx m8. I wish I could just make it down to Rio on a whim, but then again, I took a much-needed vacation, so I ain't complaining.
Welcome back Bam, I was already convinced that you went to Rio for screwing around. Lol
Bam
Also I apologize for the absence. I was gone somewhere without reliable internet access, and looking back I should've gave a notification.
Either way, I'm back now, and will be jumping on getting those Berserk reviews out as soon as possible.
Bam
Man looky here with the renovations; I like it.
@Vyse: wow. So how was the sites then back from 2005?
@Kaiser: and what is that sh!te you're talking about?
VyseLegendaire
<— fixed
VyseLegendaire
<— me
VyseLegendaire
Ive been a reader since 2005
Haha, this'll be fun lol
.....that feeling when you keep going on about a show or film but fail to give all the details...and someone goes out and buys it not knowing the full extent of the mad shit their in for...s--t lol
any reader from 2005 here....
@Mario: This guy seems interesting: https://letterboxd.com/director/tsai-ming-liang/
@Mario: Hmm, not familiar with him.
I really really loved in the mood for love, alot, it emotionally effected me. I even watched it three times.
@Mario: I couldn't seem to enjoy any of Zimou yangs films apart from Hero, which had some pretty creative fight scenes. I've seen the story of Ricky and some of John-woos films but they were more just silly entertaining exploitation films.
Don't know if you know the Vietnamese-French Tran Anh Hung. His works are stunning too. If you want to check out East-Asian cinema don't forget to check him out.
@Kaiser: Yeah, but Park Chan Wood changed the ending, so the author insisted that the Handmaiden is more "inspired" than "based". The third chapter is the weakest part for me
@Mario: Of interest, The handmaiden was based on some British book/tv show.
I need to completely re-evaluate/get into more Chinese cinema.
Doesn't look like I've seen anything by Hong-sang-so.
My favourite Korean actor is song-kang-ho.
Theres an anime convention over here in Dublin in three months. Although I haven't been to one in years.
I'm heading to anime convention today. Normally I don't really care about those conventions but I figure I'd come this year to see the taste of it. The only hassle is it's 3-hour drive, which gonna be a pain when I drive back after a long day being there.
Bong Joon-ho, on the other hand,is incredible at writing. His scripts are often layered, sharp and best of all fuses many tones/ genres into one coherent whole. The best thing about this Korean New Wave directors is they all have very distinctive voices. But my favorite director isn't the ones that you list. That would be Hong Sang Soo. I just love his simplicity style so much.
@Kaiser: Park Chan Wood is a master of visual. Whenever I come to his movies I expected to be blown-away by his visual. He can write compelling characters (he loves his characters) as well but his screenplays in general are weak. You can watch his lesser effort "I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay" and see many things that made him good/bad. That's the movie I feel he made without the care of the critic
afgm
afgm
@koff: Yeah I can help. But midterms/finals are coming up so I can't dedicate to much time.
I always felt Bong-jong and Chang-dong , kim-di-duk and Kim-jee-woon were better than Park-chan-wook. Oldboy did have that one hell of an ending, so did lady vengeance but I feel that those are the bits people tend to remember and the rest was good but not great.
For anyone that doesn't regularly browse /r/anime, Godzilla is apparently getting an anime adaption by Polygon Pictures with Urobuchi involved. Should be good.
Well, I climbed to rank 52 in Overwatch with Tracer alone. Looking forward to season 2 already, but I do wish Blizzard had somehow implemented a single-player storyline since the lore in Blizzard titles is always so vast. Kind of surprised they didn't make one with Overwatch.
@Kaiser Watch Train to Busan if you can. Me neither, I can't dig too deep into Korean films due to the language barrier. Sure would be convenient to have Vincent recommending films again.
@afgm Hey, are you still interested in helping out with the site? At this point I'm looking over the site's code & doing some rewriting - if you think you can help, let me know.
@Mario I hadn't watched Old Boy for 6 years when I got to I Saw the Devil and it was out of mind for me, so you may be right.
@K-Off: maybe it was just me but I was underwhelmed by I Saw the Devil. The point it trying to match was similar to OldBoy, and Oldboy's execution was way better (OldBoy's one of my favorite movie). Yes, the soundtracks of OldBoy, Lady Vengeance are exceptional. I still listen to The Last Waltz after all those years...
The soundtrack in a lot of these Korean films are top notch as well, Lady Vengeance and I Saw the Devil in particular.
@Mario Speaking of which, Korean psychological thrillers are hands down some of the best in the last 10-20 years. I Saw the Devil, Lady Vengeance, Old Boy, list goes on.
@Aidan: It just comes to me that we're already half way of this season... Time sure flies
@Kaiser: so please finish up Inside Mari. The last chapter had been out. I need someone to talk about that goddamn manga anw
@Kaiser: I always consider the Korean New Wave started back in 2000, and really peaked in 2003 (OldBoy, Memories of Murders, Spring Summer..., A Tale of 2 Sisters). Before 2000? The only director I can think of was Im Kwon-Taek
About nearly finished Fata Morgana but I might have to finish doom first because that thing is eating a huge chunk of my SSD drive.
Back up to date...at least for now. I have to go to a wedding so It's likely I will fall behind again. Got to admit that I haven't had much of an opinion on the latest episodes. Might be just mentally drained personally.
@K-off: I totally agree with you. 28 Days Later is a gem. Though I'm not really into zombie genre as a whole, I'm more into psychological stuffs more.
@Mario: Reminding me I need to catch up on boku mari no naka.
Although the trailer for train to busan does catch my interest.
I've gotten more than enough out of Korean films, I can enjoy them but I probably don't sing the same high praises for them as most bar some exceptions.
Seeing Lee-chang-dongs stuff I'm actually kind of interested in finding some more low key korean films.
Very likely a view shared by my indie loving friend and I, but Battery and Wyrmwood were jokey takes on the zombie genre I thought were enjoyable.
@Mario: Likely my preference for British comedy that makes me laugh more at Shaun of the dead more. Although Hot fuzz is the better Simon Pegg film in my opinion.
In terms of Korean films, I've been wondering, what are the pre-90s ones like. Lee-chang-dong started the Korean new wave in 1997.
I'm still waiting for a good horror-zombie film, nothing has met my expectations after 28 Days Later (and techinically REC), which admittedly is a high bar.
@Mario I am watching Seoul Station next week, that was just me recapping TtB after I watched it a few days ago. It's definitely more of a thriller, it has good "wtf" moments but nothing I'd call horror.
@K-Off: I thought you were going to watch Seoul Station? So I gather that Train of Busan is more thriller than horror? Just thinking of Zombieland already puts a smile on my face. That one and Shaun of the Dead are so goddamn hilarious.
@Aidan: I will review them in the future. atm I'm in watching/ reading mode so I'll push back all the world movie/ full show reviews for a while
@Mario My impression of Train to Busan was that although it wasn't anything ground breaking, it had a great cast of characters and an entertaining gimmick that managed to stay exhilarating. I haven't seen a zombie film this well structured since Zombieland, even though they're completely opposite in tone.
They are all yours if you want to do them.
Reading Inside Mary makes me want to watch Flowers of Evil again. If I remember correctly psgels never actually had a full review on this one, and Ping Pong.
@Vyse, Width wise it's exactly the same as the old chat box. Though it's possible the old one had smaller font.
VyseLegendaire
This chat box is too narrow I think, only see a couple messages.
@Anon18138, Yeah but I don't see that writer making something that truly represents the games. There may be a possibility of it being a good movie but that movie won't be Pokemon.
@AidanAK47 It'll have the writer of Gravity Falls. Though I don't have a high standard in regards to the 3D mascot and live-action style of movies.
They originally planned to male a live-action remake of Seoul Station, as the producer saw a footage of the animation and really loved it; but Yeon Sang-Ho (the director) insisted that if he was about to make a live-action film, he's go for a sequel instead. Hence Train of Busan.
@K-off: I missed my chance to watch Train to Busan but I heard nothing but rave from it. People who watched it really loved it. Damn, you make me jealous man, since I want to watch Seoul Station and review it here. Come watch it and tell me what you think; my bet is you'll enjoy it.
@Mario Have you watched Train to Busan? I'm planning to watch its animated prequel Seoul Station next week. Animation looks shabby as hell but I can always expect a good story from the koreans.
So the live action Pokemon movie will feature detective pikachu. Clearly a necessary inclusion.
I'm reading Inside Mary now and it's quite a gem despite its ridiculous premise. There's a lot of raw emotions. I love raw emotions. As expected from the same guy who wrote Flowers of Evil.
Yep, when she sends the images let me know. It may have been a while ago but I am a qualified graphic designer so even I can lend a hand to the banner design.
Ugh...a new version of wordpress is ready to be updated to. I have a bad feeling updating to the latest version could potentially break things.
Alright, I've got Friend onbaord with a commission for our new banner. She says she'll send us sketches so we can decide if it's something we want.
Considering how much trouble this plugin has given us, i am not up for adding another one. Only thing the subscriber account thing needs is me to tick and box and get rid of that password promt.
@Aidan You can set that up if you'd like, though another idea would be to set up buddypress and link it to there. But it's yet again another plugin.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]