Posted by psgels on 13 November 2012 with categories: Magi

There is one thing that this series really likes to drive through, doesn’t it? Slavery sucks. Slavery is evil. Slavery should be banished from this world altogether. While I totally agree with that, my problem with that is that it makes the villains of this series rather one-sided. There just are a lot of bad guys in this show that look too much like each other, and I would have liked to see a bit more variety.

On the other hand, I’m really digging the rest of the characters in this series. I even feel sorry for the really minor side-characters, so those villains are at least doing something well. This episode was all about Morgiana (and a half-year time skip!), and I really like that Goltias still plays a prominent role in this series. He could have just been some random goon that got forgotten as soon as he died, but the creators did a great job of making sure that he still has impact.

This show also has the talent to instantly make the people who the main characters run into likable. I’m not yet entirely sure why this is, but it still is something that definitely not every series can boast. Either way, I like the warmth between them, and they’re quite well acted, and together they feel like an actual community: they strengthen each other, which especially was true near the end of the episode.
Rating: 5/8 (Great)

1. DmonHiro says:

Don’t worry, we’re pretty much done with the slavery part. Still got poverty though.

2. Green says:

The first few villains are rather comic but the next villain will be very interesting. The creator spend loads of time on the next villain’s background to build up his character. Furthermore, he is an actual character from one thousand and one nights.

• fathomlessblue says:

I look forward to see if you guys are right about this. The show is creative & has some imaginative ideas, but the writing needs to significantly step up to keep my attention any longer.

• Puran says:

The emphasis on slavery was to develop and characterize Morgiana and I think they did a good job with that. From what I’ve read from the manga, it seems to be done with this “theme” after this episode. So give at least a few more episodes before judging it.

3. fathomlessblue says:

This is something I’ve also been really annoyed with, & I’m so fed up of the series repeating itself over & over, that I’m close to dropping it. Seriously, just what is Magi about? I came into it expecting a fun adventure series, but instead we’ve had six episodes of the show endlessly saying, “Slavery is bad; now here’s another comically-psychotic, one-note villain to convince you of this!”

Now I enjoy anime conveying ideas & messages as much as the next person, but Magi’s is paper-thin to the point of being non-existent! Who needs to be told that slavery is wrong in this day and age? Certainly not anyone in a position of watching the show! This is something your average four year old knows, yet Magi seems obligated wastes much of its screen time ceaselessly conveying.

The concept itself is interesting enough to be explored, but so far the series has refused to do so. Where are the stern, yet kind hearted slave-owners whose actions, while morally wrong, are the product of the environment they have been raised in? Where are the owners who treated slaves as the costly investment that they were (in the same fashion as owning a house/car), rather than solely something to sadistically torture? Where is any sort of nuance? The show is saying absolutely nothing that anyone raised in a semi-civilised culture, with a modicum of intelligence is unaware of. I can accept one episode, allowing Magi to make its stance clear, but if it refuses to add any depth to what is, in theory, a fascinating premise, then I won’t be carrying on.

We’ll see if Magi dropped this sub-plot, or eventually branch out its ideas in an intelligent & multi-faceted manner? I’ll give it few more episodes before deciding.

• Green says:

Sadly, the eastern culture has a more offensive stand on slavery compared to the west. This makes the series annoyingly repetitive in their message. Fortunately, slavery isn’t the main theme of the series. The main focus of this series(anime) is on the political, economical and social system of Balbadd which I find it to be quite believable compared to anime like C. As an Economics student back in my college years, I was irritated at how stupid and unreal C was. Magi dealt with it a lot better than C. Not perfect, but more believable. Thus it kept my interest throughout the entire of the Balbadd arc.

• Puran says:

From what I’ve seen in the manga, it stops with slavery from this point on and deals with poverty and war, which is more relevant to today and is handled better. Although if you’re expecting a deep exploration of such themes you’re going to be disappointed. Slavery so far didn’t bother me. It was important to the characters, specifically Morgiana. And we’ve mostly seen how she views it and I liked how that was handled. The “message” as a viewer is not relevant or interesting, but how Morgiana dealt/deals with it, did lead to some good character development and characterization. Not everything needs to be relevant to the viewer.

Either way, Magi is a fun adventure/travelling series at heart. There is a lot of creativity and it has a good pacing (the manga already has a good pacing, but I think the anime even improves it), if you don’t come expecting a lot more than that, you’re going to have a blast.

• Green says:

Agreed, the simplicity and the realism is what makes the next arc great.

• fathomlessblue says:

The issues with certain eastern cultures are more prominently concerned the repression of rights for certain demographics, particularly women, which isn’t the same as straight-up subjugation/slavery. I’m pretty sure Magi wasn’t referring to that, even if there are connections between the two.

As for C, that show suffered the classic noitamina curse, trying to fit a 26+ episode show into 11. The result was always going to be a garbled mess, no matter how earnest the show’s intentions were.

@Puran

I think the message is important enough to the viewer. If we’re seeing it, then the show is trying to say something to us about it, otherwise the scenes would serve as a complete waste of time for anyone watching. Even if the scenes are associated with Morgiana, we need to understand her stance in order to emphasise. With comical, moustache-twirling villains, the show makes it more difficult to take her plight seriously, & thus sympathise with her.

I know this a shounen series, so I’m not expecting anything overly deep or complex, but the issue of slavery is an interesting concept rarely seen in anime, & considering how much focus was placed on it during the opening six episodes, I just wish the show has utilized its screen time more effectively.

• Green says:

C was nonsensical since the very first episode. Even if it was given a hundred episodes it would still be rubbish. That series ignores how exchange rate, inflation etc work. The way they toss economic jargons around irates me. What C did would be what North Korean government will do. Forcing the economy to collapse and executing the finance minister for the mistake.

• jonas says:

Dude, is not about slavery, it´s about being a slave. Now that Morgiana no longer sees herself as a slave, the series can move on.

4. TheUltimateReaper says:

Good series. Morgiana is awesome, almost feels like she should be the main character at this point. The male protagonist needs some work. Aladdin is decent. The show has some dark overtones which is nice. What else is there to say.

• Trass says:

If you were referring to Alibaba when you said ‘the male protagonist’, the protagonist here is Aladdin.

Anyway, once again, I find it highly interesting how they changed the pacing and skipped lots of parts from the manga yet again, but they don’t even change the course of the story. Those two women who took Morgiana in their caravan were the people introduced in chapter 1 of the manga.

The anime did it really well to make it looks acceptable and plausible in the eyes of new watchers, and still makes sense and stays true to the manga in the eyes of the manga readers.

• Puran says:

I also like how they use powers early that are normally introduced later. For example I don’t believe in the manga morgiana does that scream thing, but instead does it much later (which could potentially result in viewers saying “If she could do that why didn’t she use it earlier?”)

I also liked how they introduced djinn equips earlier. So now when they are properly introduced, it will be something that we’ve already seen in action, but didn’t know what it was. It seems like they are making changes to make the series more coherent.

5. Mormegil says:

Likewise, the villains in Magi also bother me. They’re simply evil for evil’s sake. Then again, they were all small time. As the story moves along the bigger villains will appear, and I’m sure they’ll have some depth to them. At least I hope so…

• DmonHiro says:

They most certainly do.

• Moon Trace says:

Well not really, first off. Jamil was raised to used other and be seen as better then everyone else. If he probably find nothing was bad about his behavior, someone trained him to be like this. If we look at history his case was probably common.

Thing with Slave traders again, slaves weren’t seen as humans for the most part in history. Expendable and cheap labor, a person that becomes a slave trader can’t sympathize with their “goods”. This part is a way to show what sort of era Magi takes place in.

• Puran says:

All the villains so far are throwaway villains. I don’t think we’ll see them again. Proper ones will be introduced in the following episodes.

6. elior1 says:

finally the most awaited balbadd arc will begin next episode with sinbad

7. kazid1 says:

Yeah that is a awesome arc. A long since i see something of that caliber in manga.

8. JaK says:

i remember this one epic epic fight at the conclusion of the next arc or was it after the next one , just for that i would keep watching this show XD , even when i was reading the manga that fight made me wow in awe :|

9. Anca says:

The slave traders sympathizing with the wares they traded in would have been far more unrealistic. I mean, look at how people treat animals at a farm – slaves must have been treated similarly. When was the last time you saw someone being nice to the horse they use to pull their cart? Hell no, people whip them, starve them (especially when food is scarce), put things on their eyes so they can only see right in front of them, and push them even harder if they get hurt. And horses still have it good, because people need them to be strong. Also to be honest I don’t even want to see slave traders portrayed as nice people we’re supposed to like. It goes against my morals and principles and that funny feeling we get in our gut.

I’ve been more bothered by the fact that everyone in this show speaks the same language. I mean, the show started around India (I think?), yet nobody had trouble communicating with the Chinese/Mongols up north, or with the various slaves that would have mostly been foreigners.

• kazid1 says:

eheheheh,In the languaje thing you have a point there, and that is a interesting topic and a key point in the series, I will no say more than that.

• over_seer says:

Most actual cases of slavery and owners were (are) a lot less one-sided than as generally portrayed here and elsewhere. This kind of kiddy extreme depiction was generally not the norm–which is okay by me; this is fiction.

Rampant cruelty to slaves is a terrible business practice. Of course they were treated poorly, subjugated, mistreated, etc., but they cost too much money to abuse regularly, for both traders and owners. It’s a lot easier for most owners and traders to rationalize (bad as that sounds) more moderated behaviors with their consciences than the kinds of treatments more popularly depicted.

In my opinion, it’s probably more meaningful and powerful, if they really intend to dwell on the subject like they have, to focus on the conditions and the system of slavery, rather than a cartoony (har har) force of evil. But that’s probably not the emphasis of the series, not really the intent. So who cares? On to the next episode.

Anyway, if the next arc is better, then that’s good news to me.

• fathomlessblue says:

@Anca

The issues you refer to with horses tend to be on the more extreme end of the spectrum, and while certainly unpleasant are not the same as stabbing it repeatedly for fun, or dangling it over hungry animals.

By no way am I suggesting slavery means a rosy existence or that abuse would not take place, but for the most part slaves were treated as an investment. You might not have to treat them particularly well physically or mentally, but you wouldn’t damage your own belonging to the point they couldn’t operate anymore! Disliking the idea of slavery, (which let’s be honest, anyone in their right mind, in today’s age, wouldn’t!), doesn’t mean you should portray every owner as a complete psychopath! That doesn’t make me feel stronger against subjugation, if anything I’ll take it less seriously or sympathetically, just for how cartoonish it feels. Magi could have demonstrated much more, with far less.

• Anca says:

The issues with horses are things I see close to every week in summer, and what I described wasn’t even the worst thing people do at farms (not by a long shot), whether with the livestock or each other.

I assume you’re from a developed country. You guys don’t even realise how much (positive) brainwashing we got from the media growing up. The people here, a certain generation… we were under communist rule for a long time, and there were no movies and very little music. More educated people read books, but your average farmer Joe wouldn’t – there’s so much basic morality people lack… killing your wife and then your kids if she annoyed you, while it would have sent you to prison, would also have made most shrug and say ‘well, they were his. She was probably bad in bed’. In light of this it’s hard to imagine people with even less education treated ‘subhumans’ humanely.

Humanity isn’t nice, however we’re A LOT nicer yhan we used to be.

• Trass says:

The 1 language thing is actually in the plot. It was revealed quite late in the manga, but judging by how the anime handled the story so far, it wouldn’t be surprising if we see a hint of it early on.

10. Arno says:

I agree with fathomlessblue that repeating “slavery is bad” is boring. There are the one-dimensional almost comical villains but I would also think that the Morgiana character, shifting from superkawai young girl to superMAN all the time makes all this inconsistent.

It is true that historical slavery was developed for economical reasons and not psychotic reasons. However that did not prevent psychotic behavior, since all owners were not rational investors.

However, this anime is not in charge of writing a realistic and true-to-facts history book. It is meant to entertain us and so far it failed, because repeating a moral message with inconsistent characters doesn’t make good fiction. Ethics don’t entertain, at least when plain and simple as this.

• Anca says:

How was Morgiana inconsistent?

And this episode being entertaining is still a matter of taste. It’s still a less extreme view on slavery than most other anime the idea appears in.

• kazid1 says:

Same here, Iconsisten????, you must be kiddin rigth?. I dont see any, the show is by far good, Is your point of view, meaby is not for you tastes. And I know this show is the best recently shounen series, only need i bit of time.

• jonas says:

That´s why the message is not “slavery is bad”, but “being a slave sucks”. Morgiana is strong enough to free herself, but she is a slave at heart, so she won´t even try. Remember how is not until Goltas reminds her that she is no longer a slave, that she is able to break out of her chains.

Morgiana was raised to be like an attack dog, docile around her master, but vicious when attacking.

11. Nic says:

Been reading the manga recently (on v13 right now)after finishing the first 6 episodes. The Magi anime hasn’t handled the introduction arcs very well and that’s kind of a shame. They switched around the order and even replaced characters, probably to introduce them earlier than in the manga, which screwed up the pacing and they overdid it with the villains being evil, making them more comical than necessary.

But now that it’s done, the next arc is pretty major and will introduce the major villains and allies of Magi. So from now on, Magi should only get better.

I’ve been wondering how long the anime is going to last though. Is this going to go on continously or just 1-2 seasons? Because Magi is a long-running shounen series, although it seems to have its arcs plotted out for the most part, unlike say, the big shounen series (such as Fairy Tail, Bleach, etc…) which seem to make it up as it goes.

12. Entrav says:

Solid as expected from Magi. I just had to read more of the manga after this episode.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 01:33 AM)
    @Ninja: Yeah I know, that’s why I mentioned that the $7400 was only for a measly State University. Those 20k a semester spots are probably 31k or higher for international students.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:52 AM)
    @Bam Some universities charge in the neighbourhood of $20K a semester for out-of state tuition.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:37 AM)
    If you guys think out-of-state tuition is bad then you should look at the rate international students have to pay. My Japanese ex paid $7400 a semester for Sacramneto State. They pretty much robbed her out of all she had saved up.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:21 AM)
    @K-Off Yeah, out-of-state tuition is as expensive as a liberal arts college at most places.
  • k-off
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:17 AM)
    @Bam Ha, good one.
  • k-off
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:14 AM)
    @ninja In my case, I’m getting an out-of-state higher education, so I’m fucked if I don’t get that position in the FTC next August. I’ll have to wait another year for a window of opportunity and by then, who knows if I’m going to be stuck in some corporation.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:09 AM)
    I never joined a frat but I’m like an honorary member of bunch of them since I can procure pretty much whatever they are looking for so I get to party with all of them.
    My ancestors have shed too much Greek blood to me to don their banners.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:02 AM)
    I think the main issue with liberal arts colleges is that a degree from a liberal arts college isn’t much better or worse than a degree from a public university, and the cost of attending a liberal arts college is much higher for a full tuition payer. It’s just not worth it if you’re paying full tuition.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:00 AM)
    @K-Off I mean you can get many of the same degrees that you would get at a normal University at a Liberal Arts School. So I think the question of what degree you get is important whether you’re at a liberal arts college or a university. It’s not like the same degree from a liberal arts college is less valuable than one from a university. It just depends on the school and depends upon the individual.
  • k-off
    (Saturday, Oct 25. 2014 11:46 PM)
    @ninja I guess it really depends, but in my opinion, one has much less human capital in liberal arts than someone who specializes in an academic field, for example. Especially with liberal arts, it’s a matter of constantly adding to your human capital.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Akatsuki no Yona – 03

Hak and Yona flee Soo-Won’s men, but Yona’s mental and physical condition continue to deteriorate. Yona and Hak are both haunted by memories from the past. This was easily the best episode in the series so far. Whereas the first two episodes primarily took place in the present or the future, this episode is mostly spent in […]

Grisaia no Kajitsu – 03

This isn’t looking good. Let me explain, Grisaia has a somewhat nakige visual novel approach. Meaning that it has a comedic relatively plotless first half, followed by a tragic heroine backstory related story arc. Notable examples of this is any Key visual novel anime adaption you can think of. So for the first half we […]

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis- 03

Okay, so this episode didn’t focus on Leone and Amira’s adventure. Instead, it focuses on building Kaisar’s character and it does so a bit awkwardly. This episode takes Kaisar and puts him into an overly bombastic situation in order to tell us about Kaisar’s past family problems, but it was so out of tone from […]

Gugure! Kokkuri-San- 03

This show has a great cast, but some chinks in the armor are starting to appear in the comedy. So far, this anime seems to lack a consistent tone, which shows through just how hit-and-miss the comedy is. It attempts to mix elements of light and dark comedy along with slice-of-life and tries to excel in all three […]

Psycho Pass 2 – 02

Episode two continues right where episode one left off and progresses about how you might have guessed. Akane chases the mysterious villain pulling the strings, getting only cryptic responses from Kitazawa. Shimotsuki confronts Akane with her misgivings about Akane’s handling of the arrest. And we finally get some subtle hints towards Kougami’s existence and how his disappearance might […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 02

The stage is set, the actors are in place and the curtain is rising. So I can say this episode’s title was certainly apt. Unfortunately this week we have no bombastic fight scene to ogle and instead we get a heavy dose of info dumping. This is not the most exciting of episodes but the […]

Grisaia no Kajitsu – 02

The grisaia visual novel was by no means perfect. In fact if I was to summarize it as concisely as possible I would deem it a mixed bag. Some great moments but quite a number of bad storytelling decisions. Still there was hope for this anime adaption. After all the Steins Gate adaption managed to […]

Parasyte-the Maxim- 02

Before I continue reviewing this anime, let me put up a disclaimer: I will be discussing the anime of Parasyte, not the manga. If you want to talk about spoilers, I recommend you go to a site that will talk about those things. Don’t be an ass and discuss spoilers down in the comments, because […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Grisaia no Kajitsu, Trinity Seven and Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

Grisaia no Kajitsu Short Synopsis: Our protagonist joins a school that has five troubled girls in attendance. AidanAK47’s impression: Grisaia has all the elements to cause many to write it off as a typical harem anime. Protagonist who only wants a ordinary life? Check. Joins school with several female beauties? Check. Panty shots? Sigh…check. The […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]