Posted by psgels on 13 November 2012 with categories: Magi

There is one thing that this series really likes to drive through, doesn’t it? Slavery sucks. Slavery is evil. Slavery should be banished from this world altogether. While I totally agree with that, my problem with that is that it makes the villains of this series rather one-sided. There just are a lot of bad guys in this show that look too much like each other, and I would have liked to see a bit more variety.

On the other hand, I’m really digging the rest of the characters in this series. I even feel sorry for the really minor side-characters, so those villains are at least doing something well. This episode was all about Morgiana (and a half-year time skip!), and I really like that Goltias still plays a prominent role in this series. He could have just been some random goon that got forgotten as soon as he died, but the creators did a great job of making sure that he still has impact.

This show also has the talent to instantly make the people who the main characters run into likable. I’m not yet entirely sure why this is, but it still is something that definitely not every series can boast. Either way, I like the warmth between them, and they’re quite well acted, and together they feel like an actual community: they strengthen each other, which especially was true near the end of the episode.
Rating: 5/8 (Great)

1. DmonHiro says:

Don’t worry, we’re pretty much done with the slavery part. Still got poverty though.

2. Green says:

The first few villains are rather comic but the next villain will be very interesting. The creator spend loads of time on the next villain’s background to build up his character. Furthermore, he is an actual character from one thousand and one nights.

• fathomlessblue says:

I look forward to see if you guys are right about this. The show is creative & has some imaginative ideas, but the writing needs to significantly step up to keep my attention any longer.

• Puran says:

The emphasis on slavery was to develop and characterize Morgiana and I think they did a good job with that. From what I’ve read from the manga, it seems to be done with this “theme” after this episode. So give at least a few more episodes before judging it.

3. fathomlessblue says:

This is something I’ve also been really annoyed with, & I’m so fed up of the series repeating itself over & over, that I’m close to dropping it. Seriously, just what is Magi about? I came into it expecting a fun adventure series, but instead we’ve had six episodes of the show endlessly saying, “Slavery is bad; now here’s another comically-psychotic, one-note villain to convince you of this!”

Now I enjoy anime conveying ideas & messages as much as the next person, but Magi’s is paper-thin to the point of being non-existent! Who needs to be told that slavery is wrong in this day and age? Certainly not anyone in a position of watching the show! This is something your average four year old knows, yet Magi seems obligated wastes much of its screen time ceaselessly conveying.

The concept itself is interesting enough to be explored, but so far the series has refused to do so. Where are the stern, yet kind hearted slave-owners whose actions, while morally wrong, are the product of the environment they have been raised in? Where are the owners who treated slaves as the costly investment that they were (in the same fashion as owning a house/car), rather than solely something to sadistically torture? Where is any sort of nuance? The show is saying absolutely nothing that anyone raised in a semi-civilised culture, with a modicum of intelligence is unaware of. I can accept one episode, allowing Magi to make its stance clear, but if it refuses to add any depth to what is, in theory, a fascinating premise, then I won’t be carrying on.

We’ll see if Magi dropped this sub-plot, or eventually branch out its ideas in an intelligent & multi-faceted manner? I’ll give it few more episodes before deciding.

• Green says:

Sadly, the eastern culture has a more offensive stand on slavery compared to the west. This makes the series annoyingly repetitive in their message. Fortunately, slavery isn’t the main theme of the series. The main focus of this series(anime) is on the political, economical and social system of Balbadd which I find it to be quite believable compared to anime like C. As an Economics student back in my college years, I was irritated at how stupid and unreal C was. Magi dealt with it a lot better than C. Not perfect, but more believable. Thus it kept my interest throughout the entire of the Balbadd arc.

• Puran says:

From what I’ve seen in the manga, it stops with slavery from this point on and deals with poverty and war, which is more relevant to today and is handled better. Although if you’re expecting a deep exploration of such themes you’re going to be disappointed. Slavery so far didn’t bother me. It was important to the characters, specifically Morgiana. And we’ve mostly seen how she views it and I liked how that was handled. The “message” as a viewer is not relevant or interesting, but how Morgiana dealt/deals with it, did lead to some good character development and characterization. Not everything needs to be relevant to the viewer.

Either way, Magi is a fun adventure/travelling series at heart. There is a lot of creativity and it has a good pacing (the manga already has a good pacing, but I think the anime even improves it), if you don’t come expecting a lot more than that, you’re going to have a blast.

• Green says:

Agreed, the simplicity and the realism is what makes the next arc great.

• fathomlessblue says:

The issues with certain eastern cultures are more prominently concerned the repression of rights for certain demographics, particularly women, which isn’t the same as straight-up subjugation/slavery. I’m pretty sure Magi wasn’t referring to that, even if there are connections between the two.

As for C, that show suffered the classic noitamina curse, trying to fit a 26+ episode show into 11. The result was always going to be a garbled mess, no matter how earnest the show’s intentions were.

@Puran

I think the message is important enough to the viewer. If we’re seeing it, then the show is trying to say something to us about it, otherwise the scenes would serve as a complete waste of time for anyone watching. Even if the scenes are associated with Morgiana, we need to understand her stance in order to emphasise. With comical, moustache-twirling villains, the show makes it more difficult to take her plight seriously, & thus sympathise with her.

I know this a shounen series, so I’m not expecting anything overly deep or complex, but the issue of slavery is an interesting concept rarely seen in anime, & considering how much focus was placed on it during the opening six episodes, I just wish the show has utilized its screen time more effectively.

• Green says:

C was nonsensical since the very first episode. Even if it was given a hundred episodes it would still be rubbish. That series ignores how exchange rate, inflation etc work. The way they toss economic jargons around irates me. What C did would be what North Korean government will do. Forcing the economy to collapse and executing the finance minister for the mistake.

• jonas says:

Dude, is not about slavery, it´s about being a slave. Now that Morgiana no longer sees herself as a slave, the series can move on.

4. TheUltimateReaper says:

Good series. Morgiana is awesome, almost feels like she should be the main character at this point. The male protagonist needs some work. Aladdin is decent. The show has some dark overtones which is nice. What else is there to say.

• Trass says:

If you were referring to Alibaba when you said ‘the male protagonist’, the protagonist here is Aladdin.

Anyway, once again, I find it highly interesting how they changed the pacing and skipped lots of parts from the manga yet again, but they don’t even change the course of the story. Those two women who took Morgiana in their caravan were the people introduced in chapter 1 of the manga.

The anime did it really well to make it looks acceptable and plausible in the eyes of new watchers, and still makes sense and stays true to the manga in the eyes of the manga readers.

• Puran says:

I also like how they use powers early that are normally introduced later. For example I don’t believe in the manga morgiana does that scream thing, but instead does it much later (which could potentially result in viewers saying “If she could do that why didn’t she use it earlier?”)

I also liked how they introduced djinn equips earlier. So now when they are properly introduced, it will be something that we’ve already seen in action, but didn’t know what it was. It seems like they are making changes to make the series more coherent.

5. Mormegil says:

Likewise, the villains in Magi also bother me. They’re simply evil for evil’s sake. Then again, they were all small time. As the story moves along the bigger villains will appear, and I’m sure they’ll have some depth to them. At least I hope so…

• DmonHiro says:

They most certainly do.

• Moon Trace says:

Well not really, first off. Jamil was raised to used other and be seen as better then everyone else. If he probably find nothing was bad about his behavior, someone trained him to be like this. If we look at history his case was probably common.

Thing with Slave traders again, slaves weren’t seen as humans for the most part in history. Expendable and cheap labor, a person that becomes a slave trader can’t sympathize with their “goods”. This part is a way to show what sort of era Magi takes place in.

• Puran says:

All the villains so far are throwaway villains. I don’t think we’ll see them again. Proper ones will be introduced in the following episodes.

6. elior1 says:

finally the most awaited balbadd arc will begin next episode with sinbad

7. kazid1 says:

Yeah that is a awesome arc. A long since i see something of that caliber in manga.

8. JaK says:

i remember this one epic epic fight at the conclusion of the next arc or was it after the next one , just for that i would keep watching this show XD , even when i was reading the manga that fight made me wow in awe :|

9. Anca says:

The slave traders sympathizing with the wares they traded in would have been far more unrealistic. I mean, look at how people treat animals at a farm – slaves must have been treated similarly. When was the last time you saw someone being nice to the horse they use to pull their cart? Hell no, people whip them, starve them (especially when food is scarce), put things on their eyes so they can only see right in front of them, and push them even harder if they get hurt. And horses still have it good, because people need them to be strong. Also to be honest I don’t even want to see slave traders portrayed as nice people we’re supposed to like. It goes against my morals and principles and that funny feeling we get in our gut.

I’ve been more bothered by the fact that everyone in this show speaks the same language. I mean, the show started around India (I think?), yet nobody had trouble communicating with the Chinese/Mongols up north, or with the various slaves that would have mostly been foreigners.

• kazid1 says:

eheheheh,In the languaje thing you have a point there, and that is a interesting topic and a key point in the series, I will no say more than that.

• over_seer says:

Most actual cases of slavery and owners were (are) a lot less one-sided than as generally portrayed here and elsewhere. This kind of kiddy extreme depiction was generally not the norm–which is okay by me; this is fiction.

Rampant cruelty to slaves is a terrible business practice. Of course they were treated poorly, subjugated, mistreated, etc., but they cost too much money to abuse regularly, for both traders and owners. It’s a lot easier for most owners and traders to rationalize (bad as that sounds) more moderated behaviors with their consciences than the kinds of treatments more popularly depicted.

In my opinion, it’s probably more meaningful and powerful, if they really intend to dwell on the subject like they have, to focus on the conditions and the system of slavery, rather than a cartoony (har har) force of evil. But that’s probably not the emphasis of the series, not really the intent. So who cares? On to the next episode.

Anyway, if the next arc is better, then that’s good news to me.

• fathomlessblue says:

@Anca

The issues you refer to with horses tend to be on the more extreme end of the spectrum, and while certainly unpleasant are not the same as stabbing it repeatedly for fun, or dangling it over hungry animals.

By no way am I suggesting slavery means a rosy existence or that abuse would not take place, but for the most part slaves were treated as an investment. You might not have to treat them particularly well physically or mentally, but you wouldn’t damage your own belonging to the point they couldn’t operate anymore! Disliking the idea of slavery, (which let’s be honest, anyone in their right mind, in today’s age, wouldn’t!), doesn’t mean you should portray every owner as a complete psychopath! That doesn’t make me feel stronger against subjugation, if anything I’ll take it less seriously or sympathetically, just for how cartoonish it feels. Magi could have demonstrated much more, with far less.

• Anca says:

The issues with horses are things I see close to every week in summer, and what I described wasn’t even the worst thing people do at farms (not by a long shot), whether with the livestock or each other.

I assume you’re from a developed country. You guys don’t even realise how much (positive) brainwashing we got from the media growing up. The people here, a certain generation… we were under communist rule for a long time, and there were no movies and very little music. More educated people read books, but your average farmer Joe wouldn’t – there’s so much basic morality people lack… killing your wife and then your kids if she annoyed you, while it would have sent you to prison, would also have made most shrug and say ‘well, they were his. She was probably bad in bed’. In light of this it’s hard to imagine people with even less education treated ‘subhumans’ humanely.

Humanity isn’t nice, however we’re A LOT nicer yhan we used to be.

• Trass says:

The 1 language thing is actually in the plot. It was revealed quite late in the manga, but judging by how the anime handled the story so far, it wouldn’t be surprising if we see a hint of it early on.

10. Arno says:

I agree with fathomlessblue that repeating “slavery is bad” is boring. There are the one-dimensional almost comical villains but I would also think that the Morgiana character, shifting from superkawai young girl to superMAN all the time makes all this inconsistent.

It is true that historical slavery was developed for economical reasons and not psychotic reasons. However that did not prevent psychotic behavior, since all owners were not rational investors.

However, this anime is not in charge of writing a realistic and true-to-facts history book. It is meant to entertain us and so far it failed, because repeating a moral message with inconsistent characters doesn’t make good fiction. Ethics don’t entertain, at least when plain and simple as this.

• Anca says:

How was Morgiana inconsistent?

And this episode being entertaining is still a matter of taste. It’s still a less extreme view on slavery than most other anime the idea appears in.

• kazid1 says:

Same here, Iconsisten????, you must be kiddin rigth?. I dont see any, the show is by far good, Is your point of view, meaby is not for you tastes. And I know this show is the best recently shounen series, only need i bit of time.

• jonas says:

That´s why the message is not “slavery is bad”, but “being a slave sucks”. Morgiana is strong enough to free herself, but she is a slave at heart, so she won´t even try. Remember how is not until Goltas reminds her that she is no longer a slave, that she is able to break out of her chains.

Morgiana was raised to be like an attack dog, docile around her master, but vicious when attacking.

11. Nic says:

Been reading the manga recently (on v13 right now)after finishing the first 6 episodes. The Magi anime hasn’t handled the introduction arcs very well and that’s kind of a shame. They switched around the order and even replaced characters, probably to introduce them earlier than in the manga, which screwed up the pacing and they overdid it with the villains being evil, making them more comical than necessary.

But now that it’s done, the next arc is pretty major and will introduce the major villains and allies of Magi. So from now on, Magi should only get better.

I’ve been wondering how long the anime is going to last though. Is this going to go on continously or just 1-2 seasons? Because Magi is a long-running shounen series, although it seems to have its arcs plotted out for the most part, unlike say, the big shounen series (such as Fairy Tail, Bleach, etc…) which seem to make it up as it goes.

12. Entrav says:

Solid as expected from Magi. I just had to read more of the manga after this episode.

Customize
ayy, might I ask about what happened to psgels? been gone for far too long.
Yeah I really can't see that.
Naruto, for insight into major philosphical question and demi god reincarnation.
Also featuring moon ninjas.
*insight* *major philosophical questions* *??????*
I can understand that. Before the conclusion the main cast was pretty linear and repetetive character developement wise - the main focus was shounen action for the majority of the series. The conclusion showed us that these characters are reincarnates of sons of a demi god. They build up that past world with such an insight to major philosphical questions but easily understandable & relatable.
People might disagree with this but I like how 91 Days plays out. Low-key but satisfied ending.
@Badesh, Forgive me if I am rather skeptical on that statement.
reaLjustified
Well when the series is two decades old how is it an accomplishment? There are one shots that make me feel more emotionally attached to the story.
Badesh
Hell, Naruto final arc turned out to be one of the most holistic storytelling i've encountered in a while. The character developement ties in so nicely with the whole universe. It's a great accomplishement growing a pop anime into a mature mystic saga. i highly reccomend it even for newcomers. just watch past great ninja war.
*last two
I'll leave it to someone else to pick the last one.
Might add trouble every day by Claire Denis and Livid by Julien Maury.
Thanks for that. So now its under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator, haute tension, nekromantik, the tunnel.
Ah I had forgotten, I'd meant to see Haute tension.
Of those I haven't seen nekromantik or dead things.
That's all I can think for now. I'm sure K-off and others will have more inspiring suggestions down the line
For pychological edge: Haute Tension, Lake Mungo, Three... Extremes (actually the 3 shorts are all interesting), The Tunnel 2011 (underaprreciate Aussie found-footage)
For sick minds, Man Bites Dog, a Serbian film, Der Tolesking, Human Centipede (1&2)
Alright, for pure horror pleasures: Necromantik (1987), Green Inferno, Dead/Alive (my childhood's nightmare), Children Shouldn't Play woth Dead Things (more like a guity pleasure)
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.

mob-psycho-100-12-3

Mob Psycho 100 – 12

It is a remarkably cheap tactic to pull a fake death right before the climax but that aside this acted as a decent finale to Mob Psycho. Through it’s clear that a second season is needed as the story does set up for one and sadly I doubt this has as high a chance of […]

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373