Posted by psgels on 21 November 2012 with categories: Eureka Seven Ao

Hmm, a lot of you will probably disagree with this, and I’m currently double-checking to make sure of this… but this episode was pretty much amongst my top 5 endings of the year (along with Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou and Sakamichi no Apollon for those of you who were curious).

Why? It just went all out, tried to do a ton of stuff in just 50 minutes and managed to wrap itself up really well for the circumstances, and the way its plot ended up focusing on Renton, Eureka and Ao was just the icing on the cake: the thing I’ve been waiting for for so long, and this show delivered on it. It gave plenty of character to Renton, Eureka finally got some closure, we finally know what happened to Ao’s brother.The entire episode was erratic as hell, and the huge amount of time-skips made it quite hard to follow everything that went on, but that has always been the selling point of this series for me: not holding your hand, and just delivering plot twist after plot twist. And my suspense of disbelief has always been high enough for the characters to not want to bother with the plotholes.

The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents… I liked it. After the entire series was building up the themes that children shouldn’t be in the battlefield, and that adults should try their best to support them, Ao entirely turns that around by just trying to do everything himself. This could be his coming of age, or just that he got what was coming to him. I mean, it’s not like this show tries to portray its main characters as right: they too have their flaws, and I really like that Renton wasn’t portrayed in a positive light in this episode, rather than glorifying him way too much.

And the production values were also just awesome. There were lots of gorgeous dogfights and action sequences, and Bones really made use of their time to deliver a feast for the eyes, but the ears as well. The techno soundtrack here really caught my ears and made this an adrenaline rush from start to finish for me.

The thing I like about Bones’ sequels is that they don’t sell out. The creators could easily have made some shallow copy of the original series. I believe that this is what happened to Last Exile’s Fam. Instead, the creators decided to do something completely different with Eureka Seven Ao, and you can see that with all of their sequels: Darker than Black 2 was miles away from the first season. The Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka Seven Movies were also completely different from the TV series, FMA Brotherhood had a completely different style from its first season despite having the same set-up, the Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction. I used to hate this, but as time goes on, I have to say that I really like this: they try to experiment and they’re ambitious with different styles and premises, rather than milking out the same over and over. It is this ambition that I’ve been longing for for quite a while now, and Ao just answered it perfectly. It is both fanservice for the original Eureka Seven, and something completely different at the same time.

Review will come up tomorrow. Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. saosucks says:

A lot of you will probably disagree with this

count me in.

2. Juno says:

Nah. I agree with you, psgels. People who complain will complain, but I had a similar experience as you, so I understand exactly what you’re saying.
    It’s really a matter of perspective and experience, I guess.

3. saosucks says:

That’s just not true. Darker than Black 2 is as bad as the first one. E7 movie is abysmal. FMA Brotherhood turned into a typical shounen series. And Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction…..What??!!!! It’s written by the same group of people!

4. SaiDaiOh says:

I found the ending very interesting and satisfying, and this make Ao and Renton become one of my most respected characters ever. They both throw away their own happiness in order to protect their own family. Renton sacrifices his chance to be with Eureka to protect Ao from the same fate as his sister and Ao sacrifice his own existance to let his parents can have a happy life together without letting them to kill the Scub Coral. Ao, you are one great man who can be proud of being the son of Renton.

5. Souther says:

As a fan of the original Eureka 7, I think this was a travesty of an ending and a very mediocre show overall.

• Souther says:

In fact, I’d argue Bones actually did “sell out” because the show literally drags some of the themes of Eureka 7 and even of its original ending through the mud, by introducing new plot holes and twists that retroactively ruin the conclusion of the series and go against previously established knowledge in exchange for…nothing worthwhile, other than perhaps making the lives of Renton and Eureka a little bit more miserable. Nice going!

The fact that psgels is praising this series finale for all its twists and shiny action sequences but doesn’t care about plot holes is rather telling. It’s ironic, even.

My opinion is that if they really wanted to do something completely new and different, to the point of making a mess of the original story, then they shouldn’t have called his Eureka Seven in the first place.

That way the show would stand on its own merits. You can’t say AO isn’t milking E7 when they’re using the name of the old show to sell.

• saosucks says:

You can see that even people at BONES don’t give a shit about AO anymore, judging from how much money they are pouring into Tempest right now. Sadly the AO fans will never admit it.

• ChocoBar says:

Tempest is being done by a different division from AO you fucking idiot. It’s also fucking bombing!

• saosucks says:

wow, ao fan, watch your language. Is this how ao fans generally behave? such vulgarity. anyways, a different division still gets money from the same company and the same company can only have that much money therefore Eureka seven ao is an experimental side project from Day 1.

O forgot to mention this experimental side project turned into garbage in the end but nobody cares except you stubborn ao mules.

• psgels psgels says:

saosucks: I think this is a case of a pot calling a kettle black. Sure, Chocobar also isn’t very nice, but you are sounding really elitist right now, as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

• ChocoBar says:

saosucks: Again, why don’t you learn how the industry works AO hater. There’s nothing that states AO was an experimental project nor anything that shows Tempest getting “better” treatment. Both were handled by different divisions and teams within the studio.

But I don’t expect AO haters to know anything about common logic.

• psgels psgels says:

Chocobar: you too be civil, or I’m going to start deleting stuff. >:(

• ChocoBar says:

How they hell are they milking it when it’s coming out 7 years after the original ended? How the hell are they milking it when the cast and setting are completely new and none of the old characters returned barring Eureka and Renton? It’s like the haters for this show don’t read what they write

• someloser says:

how does time after the original, new cast and new setting have anything to do with milking? maybe you should some research on what milking is before before assuming people are “haters” and not legitimately criticizing the show.

There are many reasons why we consider it as milking. First it’s unnecessary to bring back series that ended beautifully, especially one that ended 7 years ago. If they had any intention to have done a sequel, they would have done it earlier. To bring back a popular series at such a time, we would presume that they are doing it for money. Second, the story is much much sloppier compared to the original, and could also reside as it own series considering the number of conflicts it has with the original. Yet instead they slap on the eureka logo and toss in the same concepts, which is why we assume they are milking the original.

• ChocoBar says:

Most of what you wrote was complete bullshit. That’s not what milking means at all and E7 was never “popular” to begin with. The fact that this sequel distance themselves from anything from the original proves they weren’t just trying to shamelessy rehahsh it like fantards like you wanted. How you feel about the show is subjective but saying they were milking the E7 by making a sequel that’s nothing like E7 is downright retarded. You E7 fantards need to get a life.

• someloser says:

– “disproves” one point with own subject belief to call the entire arguement bullshit
            – e7 never popular
            – constant poisoning of well with “fantard”
            – has own def of milking, cares not to explain
            – distance from ao from original is about the distance between modern warfare and black ops
            – e7 never popular
            – nothing like e7…

yep im out

• ChocoBar says:

If this is how an E7 fantard displays his point then no wonder they hated this sequel.

• saosucks says:

Gundam, cough*

• meaqui says:

Gotta agree with you there. About the plot holes that is. You can of course! like a series because of its characters and just disregard all inconsistencies. And you can of course! openly declare that you like the episode.

But you cant call that objective, its just that: one single opinion among countless other opinions. Theres nothing that sets psgels opinion apart from others now because there are no arguments.
        and also you cant expect others to agree with you, let alone understand what you’re saying. Thats why I dont like this “review” (read:statement of an opinion).

6. pockets says:

It was certainly tough to follow with all those timeskips and odd subtitling. I’m sure it made more sense in japanese, but I’ll never know.

I think the tougher thing to follow was the typos in your post. :p

The reason I follow this blog is for your insight, so I’ll just chalk this up as a rare rushed job.

7. someloser says:

ao’s brother…. you sure it wasn’t a sister?

have to disagree with you here, with this, the plot has… well i have no idea how to say it. it’s just sloppy. the most sloppy moment that come to mind has got to be that renton decides to use the gun to eliminate the first scrub, and then attacks ao because archetypes…

This reminded me of blood c. In blood c, we have a great deal of questions, and then we get a half assed conclusion that “answers” questions. Ao had a great deal of questions as well, but instead the plot direction changes so much within the last episode that it makes the rest of the story almost irrelevant. what once was a story about the freedom of okinawa, truth screwing up everyone, ao’s conflicts with scrubs and secrets, turns into… jumping through the northern light (which nobody ever realized was a portal), saving his mom, and then shooting disposable secrets that gave him the fate that his mother had. (hey looks like there’s more than one way you can turn into a ghost) Sometimes there’s good twists, and sometimes it’s just bad writing.

8. wicked says:

you mean for Ao to not be able to be with his parents. Ao kind of just tries to do everything himself anyways, literally every secret battle end with him taking them on mano a monster

9. Kamen Grinder says:

“The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents…”

“And the production values were also just awesome.”

10. gurdlo says:

this ending was well, here are some unresolved sub-plots
    Ao and Naru-Nope
    Ao and Fleur- Nope, and Fleur seemed like she would’ve confessed her love or something
    The members of Gekkostate-Forgotten
    Naru and the Scub Coral, pretty unclear
    the ending was too compressed, it seems obvious that thiswould’ve benefited from being 50 episodes like its E7

11. Anon says:

I’m in the camp with the nay-sayers. This ending was an ass-pull on so many levels, and it left me numb at the sheer stupidity of it. The production values were the only good thing about it. I can accept ass-pulls when the show delivers high-quality entertainment (ie Code Geass, Auqarion, or Needless) but that was not the case with this ending. And I’m one of the few people who thought the show was doing fine up until then, I didn’t write it off as a complete trainwreck during the first 22 episodes.

Having said that, I’m glad you liked it. But you should watch it with subs in order to get an idea of how bad it really was – your post indicates you watched it without subs, or you are just really sloppy with details. Like, even sloppier than the ending itself was.

12. Ryan says:

Finally someone who agrees with me. I must say, I love the ending to this, and while I would love there to be more (lets see what the OVA that comes out with the last BD holds for us) I still feel warm knowing how it ended. People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great. Ao was happy to return to his time, he got to see his father and mother, and kind of bonded with his father. I know it won’t ever be what the original is like, and maybe the fact that I consider it as it’s own thing instead of the “Eureka Seven” sequel, that I like it so much. But it tried to be it’s own show, and didn’t try copy it’s predecessor. Overall, like I stated above, I loved the ending, and I loved this anime. People may think differently, and that’s fine as not everything will strike ones fancy.
    10/10 for me, being that guy that’s easy to please.

I like it, and /a/ over reacted.

• AidanAK47 says:

“People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great.”

That’s just denial right there.
      Sure, Ao returned to his own time. But nobody remembers him. Also if there’s no traper in this world then he just dies from the fall at the end. However if there is traper then his board activates and he dies eventually by turning into stone.
      Sure he got to see his mother and father. Who both despite doing everything to save him, in the end just let him sacrifice himself for their own happiness without a single complaint.
      Sure it tried to be it’s own show but in the end tossed away everything that made the original unique. In retrospect a copy would have been a better show or even it could be what a sequel is supposed to be. A chance to expand on the world and show the lives of characters we love after the ending. Either of these would be better than being different for the sake of being different.

You liked it. Good for you. But don’t dare try to ignore it’s flaws. Acknowledge them and like it anyway.

13. Rena says:

Liked this episode… Disliked the rest of the series… If only it was more like this from the beginning, because in the end the only characters I cared about was that family.

14. EurekaSevenFans says:

Erm, have to say that; the biggest thing is come is when AO meet his Sister later…well, the ending prove that Truth is needed by Ao when time come; and that only happen in movie i guess…The real last ending…I think

15. meow says:

Great production values but super rushed. It felt like this must be what R;N’s Elephant-Mouse syndrome must feel like. XD I got the feeling that the production team may have taken a great deal of their break pow-wowing over how the story should go. Those two episodes felt like 10+ episodes worth of key scenes pieced together into a single compilation and everything was flying at breakneck speed to the point where I wondered if there was enough time to finish the story.

It was weird seeing the friendly secret’s head still intact where it used to be in the Japan lab even though it was destroyed by Truth. And I don’t buy the part about original Scub’s destruction meaning the erasure of people infected. It’s more likely they just live their lives as if they were never infected in the first place. The people really at risk might be people who were born Scub or part Scub like Ao and Eureka herself.

A lot of cool stuff, lots of Renton, Eureka and Ao moments. And even Truth. A bit disappointed that some important side characters like Fleur, Naru and Elena didn’t get their conclusions told too. Or even a proper conclusion. Like…um…Ao falling out of the sky with just a trapar board. Sure hope there’s actual trapar in the air or he’s in for a hard landing. XD

But I think it covered enough bases to call it a win.

16. Houlgrave says:

Although I certainly didn’t hate some of the ideas that Eureka 7 AO played with throughout its run….the series itself is undoubtedly a big, messy trainwreck. I don’t mind a monster-of-the-week approach to series initial half followed by some kind of overarching storyline….but why should I really care about any of that when Eureka 7 AO’s main cast isn’t even an iota as good as the first series’ cast was?

From what I can tell, they really rushed the hell out of these last two episodes, and as a result I feel like whatever point or purpose that the plot was trying to make is a bit diluted and incoherent. Ex: so the Scub Coral was fleeing through the past in order to avoid reaching the Limit Of Life and whatnot…wasn’t that resolved to a degree at the end of the original series?

Honestly, things would have been a whole lot better if they filled in the story gap between the end of Eureka 7 and AO as opposed to this….tangential mess. :/

Nice try BONES, but you need to iron out your scripts with more finesse before animating them so beautifully. xD

• meow says:

I wonder if they ran out of budget to do it better. It feels like they would have liked to have done more. Perhaps they ran out of budget to do the rest well so decided to squeeze what they could into two good episodes rather than drag it into more episodes at a lower quality.

17. EurekaSevenFans says:

Someone should complain to BONES ><; even the official site haven't released the summary for the two episodes…mmmm

18. TheUltimateReaper says:

I’m so said for how this story ended, and I’m not talking about AO. Sure I guess, Renton and Eureka managed to have a child that survived, I mean that’s a plus and Ao is a in a place he likes. It’s nice and all, but still. Lots of what made me happy about Eureka Seven just got shattered.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Bones did the biggest mistake one can do when making a sequel: destroying the original happy ending.

I really wanted to like this series, but in the end i wish it never existed.

and really, how could they let Keiji Fujiwara voice Renton, i can’t get over that, it’s so ridiculous.

the ending was rushed and inconclusive, i’m so disappointed, i don’t even…

20. Ebisu says:

For me it was an OK ending. Battles were very well done but I didn’t feel myself heated up with them.

I really loved what they did with Truth and also how despite losing against Truth the next moment he’s being glorified as the savior of the world (normal thing with Truth in the Nirvash). Though I must say, as others, they’ve left too many loose ends.

I’d prefer to see a continuation to the story, rather than it ending like that. A shame it couldn’t get a 52 episode schedule, as I think the problem with the coral was not adressed (only the secrets were shoot with that weapon and the final consequences and state of affairs were not even shown).

Just Ao returning in a cool way to his place and cutting there left me a bit unfulfilled. Great ending only if they promised more chapters and story in an undetermined future.

21. Blizt says:

Dude, you made two mistakes in your post, it wasn’t Ao’s “brother”, and it wasn’t “Renton” who couldn’t stay with his parents…

Anyway, I can’t say this is the perfect ending, as the episodes before 23 & 24 were quite a disaster, but they did wrap thing up quite nicely, and saved this series in my opinions.

22. Blizt says:

Oh, and I forgot to say, if there’s anything I’m not satisfied with the ending, it’s that Naru didn’t die.

I have hated her deeply ever since she learned the “truth”, when I saw her getting hit I was yelling “F*** YEAH B****!!”

@Mario, starting to think I didn't need my help after all. I hope they make something worthwhile.
On a unrelated note the Dark Souls 3 DLC boss is serious bullshit.
Hey Aidan, thqt Kickstarter project Mecha-ude has passed its goal (nearly double now with 10 more days to go). Seems like people getting real hype for it
Wonder if Bam has played the new Dark Souls DLC. Found it rather lacking when compared to previous DLC from the last games.
@Anon, it's just a video of a still image of anime girls in bikini's with a red circle around one of their chests. Seeing as this thing has no views or subscribers my guess is someones is fishing for views. To which i say...what really is the point of making videos if this is the only way you can get people to watch them?
[link src="
I"] hate this crap that they corrupt anime with (crappy video that insults anime)
So RWBY's back. I actually miss the whole RWBY team. Still prefer Ruby's old custom more. Nora looks cool.
With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.
I guess I'm just unsure of something, how many people watching "arty" stuff are able to pick it up on their own. By looking up an "explained video" or "explained essay" to get it, am I copping out?

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373