Posted by psgels on 21 November 2012 with categories: Eureka Seven Ao

Hmm, a lot of you will probably disagree with this, and I’m currently double-checking to make sure of this… but this episode was pretty much amongst my top 5 endings of the year (along with Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou and Sakamichi no Apollon for those of you who were curious).

Why? It just went all out, tried to do a ton of stuff in just 50 minutes and managed to wrap itself up really well for the circumstances, and the way its plot ended up focusing on Renton, Eureka and Ao was just the icing on the cake: the thing I’ve been waiting for for so long, and this show delivered on it. It gave plenty of character to Renton, Eureka finally got some closure, we finally know what happened to Ao’s brother.The entire episode was erratic as hell, and the huge amount of time-skips made it quite hard to follow everything that went on, but that has always been the selling point of this series for me: not holding your hand, and just delivering plot twist after plot twist. And my suspense of disbelief has always been high enough for the characters to not want to bother with the plotholes.

The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents… I liked it. After the entire series was building up the themes that children shouldn’t be in the battlefield, and that adults should try their best to support them, Ao entirely turns that around by just trying to do everything himself. This could be his coming of age, or just that he got what was coming to him. I mean, it’s not like this show tries to portray its main characters as right: they too have their flaws, and I really like that Renton wasn’t portrayed in a positive light in this episode, rather than glorifying him way too much.

And the production values were also just awesome. There were lots of gorgeous dogfights and action sequences, and Bones really made use of their time to deliver a feast for the eyes, but the ears as well. The techno soundtrack here really caught my ears and made this an adrenaline rush from start to finish for me.

The thing I like about Bones’ sequels is that they don’t sell out. The creators could easily have made some shallow copy of the original series. I believe that this is what happened to Last Exile’s Fam. Instead, the creators decided to do something completely different with Eureka Seven Ao, and you can see that with all of their sequels: Darker than Black 2 was miles away from the first season. The Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka Seven Movies were also completely different from the TV series, FMA Brotherhood had a completely different style from its first season despite having the same set-up, the Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction. I used to hate this, but as time goes on, I have to say that I really like this: they try to experiment and they’re ambitious with different styles and premises, rather than milking out the same over and over. It is this ambition that I’ve been longing for for quite a while now, and Ao just answered it perfectly. It is both fanservice for the original Eureka Seven, and something completely different at the same time.

Review will come up tomorrow. Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. saosucks says:

A lot of you will probably disagree with this

count me in.

2. Juno says:

Nah. I agree with you, psgels. People who complain will complain, but I had a similar experience as you, so I understand exactly what you’re saying.
    It’s really a matter of perspective and experience, I guess.

3. saosucks says:

That’s just not true. Darker than Black 2 is as bad as the first one. E7 movie is abysmal. FMA Brotherhood turned into a typical shounen series. And Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction…..What??!!!! It’s written by the same group of people!

4. SaiDaiOh says:

I found the ending very interesting and satisfying, and this make Ao and Renton become one of my most respected characters ever. They both throw away their own happiness in order to protect their own family. Renton sacrifices his chance to be with Eureka to protect Ao from the same fate as his sister and Ao sacrifice his own existance to let his parents can have a happy life together without letting them to kill the Scub Coral. Ao, you are one great man who can be proud of being the son of Renton.

5. Souther says:

As a fan of the original Eureka 7, I think this was a travesty of an ending and a very mediocre show overall.

• Souther says:

In fact, I’d argue Bones actually did “sell out” because the show literally drags some of the themes of Eureka 7 and even of its original ending through the mud, by introducing new plot holes and twists that retroactively ruin the conclusion of the series and go against previously established knowledge in exchange for…nothing worthwhile, other than perhaps making the lives of Renton and Eureka a little bit more miserable. Nice going!

The fact that psgels is praising this series finale for all its twists and shiny action sequences but doesn’t care about plot holes is rather telling. It’s ironic, even.

My opinion is that if they really wanted to do something completely new and different, to the point of making a mess of the original story, then they shouldn’t have called his Eureka Seven in the first place.

That way the show would stand on its own merits. You can’t say AO isn’t milking E7 when they’re using the name of the old show to sell.

• saosucks says:

You can see that even people at BONES don’t give a shit about AO anymore, judging from how much money they are pouring into Tempest right now. Sadly the AO fans will never admit it.

• ChocoBar says:

Tempest is being done by a different division from AO you fucking idiot. It’s also fucking bombing!

• saosucks says:

wow, ao fan, watch your language. Is this how ao fans generally behave? such vulgarity. anyways, a different division still gets money from the same company and the same company can only have that much money therefore Eureka seven ao is an experimental side project from Day 1.

O forgot to mention this experimental side project turned into garbage in the end but nobody cares except you stubborn ao mules.

• psgels psgels says:

saosucks: I think this is a case of a pot calling a kettle black. Sure, Chocobar also isn’t very nice, but you are sounding really elitist right now, as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

• ChocoBar says:

saosucks: Again, why don’t you learn how the industry works AO hater. There’s nothing that states AO was an experimental project nor anything that shows Tempest getting “better” treatment. Both were handled by different divisions and teams within the studio.

But I don’t expect AO haters to know anything about common logic.

• psgels psgels says:

Chocobar: you too be civil, or I’m going to start deleting stuff. >:(

• ChocoBar says:

How they hell are they milking it when it’s coming out 7 years after the original ended? How the hell are they milking it when the cast and setting are completely new and none of the old characters returned barring Eureka and Renton? It’s like the haters for this show don’t read what they write

• someloser says:

how does time after the original, new cast and new setting have anything to do with milking? maybe you should some research on what milking is before before assuming people are “haters” and not legitimately criticizing the show.

There are many reasons why we consider it as milking. First it’s unnecessary to bring back series that ended beautifully, especially one that ended 7 years ago. If they had any intention to have done a sequel, they would have done it earlier. To bring back a popular series at such a time, we would presume that they are doing it for money. Second, the story is much much sloppier compared to the original, and could also reside as it own series considering the number of conflicts it has with the original. Yet instead they slap on the eureka logo and toss in the same concepts, which is why we assume they are milking the original.

• ChocoBar says:

Most of what you wrote was complete bullshit. That’s not what milking means at all and E7 was never “popular” to begin with. The fact that this sequel distance themselves from anything from the original proves they weren’t just trying to shamelessy rehahsh it like fantards like you wanted. How you feel about the show is subjective but saying they were milking the E7 by making a sequel that’s nothing like E7 is downright retarded. You E7 fantards need to get a life.

• someloser says:

– “disproves” one point with own subject belief to call the entire arguement bullshit
            – e7 never popular
            – constant poisoning of well with “fantard”
            – has own def of milking, cares not to explain
            – distance from ao from original is about the distance between modern warfare and black ops
            – e7 never popular
            – nothing like e7…

yep im out

• ChocoBar says:

If this is how an E7 fantard displays his point then no wonder they hated this sequel.

• saosucks says:

Gundam, cough*

• meaqui says:

Gotta agree with you there. About the plot holes that is. You can of course! like a series because of its characters and just disregard all inconsistencies. And you can of course! openly declare that you like the episode.

But you cant call that objective, its just that: one single opinion among countless other opinions. Theres nothing that sets psgels opinion apart from others now because there are no arguments.
        and also you cant expect others to agree with you, let alone understand what you’re saying. Thats why I dont like this “review” (read:statement of an opinion).

6. pockets says:

It was certainly tough to follow with all those timeskips and odd subtitling. I’m sure it made more sense in japanese, but I’ll never know.

I think the tougher thing to follow was the typos in your post. :p

The reason I follow this blog is for your insight, so I’ll just chalk this up as a rare rushed job.

7. someloser says:

ao’s brother…. you sure it wasn’t a sister?

have to disagree with you here, with this, the plot has… well i have no idea how to say it. it’s just sloppy. the most sloppy moment that come to mind has got to be that renton decides to use the gun to eliminate the first scrub, and then attacks ao because archetypes…

This reminded me of blood c. In blood c, we have a great deal of questions, and then we get a half assed conclusion that “answers” questions. Ao had a great deal of questions as well, but instead the plot direction changes so much within the last episode that it makes the rest of the story almost irrelevant. what once was a story about the freedom of okinawa, truth screwing up everyone, ao’s conflicts with scrubs and secrets, turns into… jumping through the northern light (which nobody ever realized was a portal), saving his mom, and then shooting disposable secrets that gave him the fate that his mother had. (hey looks like there’s more than one way you can turn into a ghost) Sometimes there’s good twists, and sometimes it’s just bad writing.

8. wicked says:

you mean for Ao to not be able to be with his parents. Ao kind of just tries to do everything himself anyways, literally every secret battle end with him taking them on mano a monster

9. Kamen Grinder says:

“The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents…”

Nope.

“And the production values were also just awesome.”

Yep.

10. gurdlo says:

this ending was well, here are some unresolved sub-plots
    Ao and Naru-Nope
    Ao and Fleur- Nope, and Fleur seemed like she would’ve confessed her love or something
    The members of Gekkostate-Forgotten
    Naru and the Scub Coral, pretty unclear
    the ending was too compressed, it seems obvious that thiswould’ve benefited from being 50 episodes like its E7

11. Anon says:

I’m in the camp with the nay-sayers. This ending was an ass-pull on so many levels, and it left me numb at the sheer stupidity of it. The production values were the only good thing about it. I can accept ass-pulls when the show delivers high-quality entertainment (ie Code Geass, Auqarion, or Needless) but that was not the case with this ending. And I’m one of the few people who thought the show was doing fine up until then, I didn’t write it off as a complete trainwreck during the first 22 episodes.

Having said that, I’m glad you liked it. But you should watch it with subs in order to get an idea of how bad it really was – your post indicates you watched it without subs, or you are just really sloppy with details. Like, even sloppier than the ending itself was.

12. Ryan says:

Finally someone who agrees with me. I must say, I love the ending to this, and while I would love there to be more (lets see what the OVA that comes out with the last BD holds for us) I still feel warm knowing how it ended. People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great. Ao was happy to return to his time, he got to see his father and mother, and kind of bonded with his father. I know it won’t ever be what the original is like, and maybe the fact that I consider it as it’s own thing instead of the “Eureka Seven” sequel, that I like it so much. But it tried to be it’s own show, and didn’t try copy it’s predecessor. Overall, like I stated above, I loved the ending, and I loved this anime. People may think differently, and that’s fine as not everything will strike ones fancy.
    10/10 for me, being that guy that’s easy to please.

tl;dr
    I like it, and /a/ over reacted.

• AidanAK47 says:

“People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great.”

That’s just denial right there.
      Sure, Ao returned to his own time. But nobody remembers him. Also if there’s no traper in this world then he just dies from the fall at the end. However if there is traper then his board activates and he dies eventually by turning into stone.
      Sure he got to see his mother and father. Who both despite doing everything to save him, in the end just let him sacrifice himself for their own happiness without a single complaint.
      Sure it tried to be it’s own show but in the end tossed away everything that made the original unique. In retrospect a copy would have been a better show or even it could be what a sequel is supposed to be. A chance to expand on the world and show the lives of characters we love after the ending. Either of these would be better than being different for the sake of being different.

You liked it. Good for you. But don’t dare try to ignore it’s flaws. Acknowledge them and like it anyway.

13. Rena says:

Liked this episode… Disliked the rest of the series… If only it was more like this from the beginning, because in the end the only characters I cared about was that family.

14. EurekaSevenFans says:

Erm, have to say that; the biggest thing is come is when AO meet his Sister later…well, the ending prove that Truth is needed by Ao when time come; and that only happen in movie i guess…The real last ending…I think

15. meow says:

Great production values but super rushed. It felt like this must be what R;N’s Elephant-Mouse syndrome must feel like. XD I got the feeling that the production team may have taken a great deal of their break pow-wowing over how the story should go. Those two episodes felt like 10+ episodes worth of key scenes pieced together into a single compilation and everything was flying at breakneck speed to the point where I wondered if there was enough time to finish the story.

It was weird seeing the friendly secret’s head still intact where it used to be in the Japan lab even though it was destroyed by Truth. And I don’t buy the part about original Scub’s destruction meaning the erasure of people infected. It’s more likely they just live their lives as if they were never infected in the first place. The people really at risk might be people who were born Scub or part Scub like Ao and Eureka herself.

A lot of cool stuff, lots of Renton, Eureka and Ao moments. And even Truth. A bit disappointed that some important side characters like Fleur, Naru and Elena didn’t get their conclusions told too. Or even a proper conclusion. Like…um…Ao falling out of the sky with just a trapar board. Sure hope there’s actual trapar in the air or he’s in for a hard landing. XD

But I think it covered enough bases to call it a win.

16. Houlgrave says:

Although I certainly didn’t hate some of the ideas that Eureka 7 AO played with throughout its run….the series itself is undoubtedly a big, messy trainwreck. I don’t mind a monster-of-the-week approach to series initial half followed by some kind of overarching storyline….but why should I really care about any of that when Eureka 7 AO’s main cast isn’t even an iota as good as the first series’ cast was?

From what I can tell, they really rushed the hell out of these last two episodes, and as a result I feel like whatever point or purpose that the plot was trying to make is a bit diluted and incoherent. Ex: so the Scub Coral was fleeing through the past in order to avoid reaching the Limit Of Life and whatnot…wasn’t that resolved to a degree at the end of the original series?

Honestly, things would have been a whole lot better if they filled in the story gap between the end of Eureka 7 and AO as opposed to this….tangential mess. :/

Nice try BONES, but you need to iron out your scripts with more finesse before animating them so beautifully. xD

• meow says:

I wonder if they ran out of budget to do it better. It feels like they would have liked to have done more. Perhaps they ran out of budget to do the rest well so decided to squeeze what they could into two good episodes rather than drag it into more episodes at a lower quality.

17. EurekaSevenFans says:

Someone should complain to BONES ><; even the official site haven't released the summary for the two episodes…mmmm

18. TheUltimateReaper says:

I’m so said for how this story ended, and I’m not talking about AO. Sure I guess, Renton and Eureka managed to have a child that survived, I mean that’s a plus and Ao is a in a place he likes. It’s nice and all, but still. Lots of what made me happy about Eureka Seven just got shattered.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Bones did the biggest mistake one can do when making a sequel: destroying the original happy ending.

I really wanted to like this series, but in the end i wish it never existed.

and really, how could they let Keiji Fujiwara voice Renton, i can’t get over that, it’s so ridiculous.

the ending was rushed and inconclusive, i’m so disappointed, i don’t even…

20. Ebisu says:

For me it was an OK ending. Battles were very well done but I didn’t feel myself heated up with them.

I really loved what they did with Truth and also how despite losing against Truth the next moment he’s being glorified as the savior of the world (normal thing with Truth in the Nirvash). Though I must say, as others, they’ve left too many loose ends.

I’d prefer to see a continuation to the story, rather than it ending like that. A shame it couldn’t get a 52 episode schedule, as I think the problem with the coral was not adressed (only the secrets were shoot with that weapon and the final consequences and state of affairs were not even shown).

Just Ao returning in a cool way to his place and cutting there left me a bit unfulfilled. Great ending only if they promised more chapters and story in an undetermined future.

21. Blizt says:

Dude, you made two mistakes in your post, it wasn’t Ao’s “brother”, and it wasn’t “Renton” who couldn’t stay with his parents…

Anyway, I can’t say this is the perfect ending, as the episodes before 23 & 24 were quite a disaster, but they did wrap thing up quite nicely, and saved this series in my opinions.

22. Blizt says:

Oh, and I forgot to say, if there’s anything I’m not satisfied with the ending, it’s that Naru didn’t die.

I have hated her deeply ever since she learned the “truth”, when I saw her getting hit I was yelling “F*** YEAH B****!!”

Guess we can put that down as one of the most important things a critic needs. Self Awareness.
@Anon, I won't deny having an inflated sense of worth but Nostalgia blindness? You are reaching man.
Just like you :)
Anyway I never heard of this guy and he seems like the usually case of Nostalgia blindness and inflated sense of worth. Nothing really worth concerning ourselves about.
"How can I be pretentious when I mean everything I say?" Oh silly silly fool. Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't be pretentious.
I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100