Posted by psgels on 21 November 2012 with categories: Eureka Seven Ao

Hmm, a lot of you will probably disagree with this, and I’m currently double-checking to make sure of this… but this episode was pretty much amongst my top 5 endings of the year (along with Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou and Sakamichi no Apollon for those of you who were curious).

Why? It just went all out, tried to do a ton of stuff in just 50 minutes and managed to wrap itself up really well for the circumstances, and the way its plot ended up focusing on Renton, Eureka and Ao was just the icing on the cake: the thing I’ve been waiting for for so long, and this show delivered on it. It gave plenty of character to Renton, Eureka finally got some closure, we finally know what happened to Ao’s brother.The entire episode was erratic as hell, and the huge amount of time-skips made it quite hard to follow everything that went on, but that has always been the selling point of this series for me: not holding your hand, and just delivering plot twist after plot twist. And my suspense of disbelief has always been high enough for the characters to not want to bother with the plotholes.

The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents… I liked it. After the entire series was building up the themes that children shouldn’t be in the battlefield, and that adults should try their best to support them, Ao entirely turns that around by just trying to do everything himself. This could be his coming of age, or just that he got what was coming to him. I mean, it’s not like this show tries to portray its main characters as right: they too have their flaws, and I really like that Renton wasn’t portrayed in a positive light in this episode, rather than glorifying him way too much.

And the production values were also just awesome. There were lots of gorgeous dogfights and action sequences, and Bones really made use of their time to deliver a feast for the eyes, but the ears as well. The techno soundtrack here really caught my ears and made this an adrenaline rush from start to finish for me.

The thing I like about Bones’ sequels is that they don’t sell out. The creators could easily have made some shallow copy of the original series. I believe that this is what happened to Last Exile’s Fam. Instead, the creators decided to do something completely different with Eureka Seven Ao, and you can see that with all of their sequels: Darker than Black 2 was miles away from the first season. The Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka Seven Movies were also completely different from the TV series, FMA Brotherhood had a completely different style from its first season despite having the same set-up, the Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction. I used to hate this, but as time goes on, I have to say that I really like this: they try to experiment and they’re ambitious with different styles and premises, rather than milking out the same over and over. It is this ambition that I’ve been longing for for quite a while now, and Ao just answered it perfectly. It is both fanservice for the original Eureka Seven, and something completely different at the same time.

Review will come up tomorrow. Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. saosucks says:

A lot of you will probably disagree with this

count me in.

2. Juno says:

Nah. I agree with you, psgels. People who complain will complain, but I had a similar experience as you, so I understand exactly what you’re saying.
    It’s really a matter of perspective and experience, I guess.

3. saosucks says:

That’s just not true. Darker than Black 2 is as bad as the first one. E7 movie is abysmal. FMA Brotherhood turned into a typical shounen series. And Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction…..What??!!!! It’s written by the same group of people!

4. SaiDaiOh says:

I found the ending very interesting and satisfying, and this make Ao and Renton become one of my most respected characters ever. They both throw away their own happiness in order to protect their own family. Renton sacrifices his chance to be with Eureka to protect Ao from the same fate as his sister and Ao sacrifice his own existance to let his parents can have a happy life together without letting them to kill the Scub Coral. Ao, you are one great man who can be proud of being the son of Renton.

5. Souther says:

As a fan of the original Eureka 7, I think this was a travesty of an ending and a very mediocre show overall.

• Souther says:

In fact, I’d argue Bones actually did “sell out” because the show literally drags some of the themes of Eureka 7 and even of its original ending through the mud, by introducing new plot holes and twists that retroactively ruin the conclusion of the series and go against previously established knowledge in exchange for…nothing worthwhile, other than perhaps making the lives of Renton and Eureka a little bit more miserable. Nice going!

The fact that psgels is praising this series finale for all its twists and shiny action sequences but doesn’t care about plot holes is rather telling. It’s ironic, even.

My opinion is that if they really wanted to do something completely new and different, to the point of making a mess of the original story, then they shouldn’t have called his Eureka Seven in the first place.

That way the show would stand on its own merits. You can’t say AO isn’t milking E7 when they’re using the name of the old show to sell.

• saosucks says:

You can see that even people at BONES don’t give a shit about AO anymore, judging from how much money they are pouring into Tempest right now. Sadly the AO fans will never admit it.

• ChocoBar says:

Tempest is being done by a different division from AO you fucking idiot. It’s also fucking bombing!

• saosucks says:

wow, ao fan, watch your language. Is this how ao fans generally behave? such vulgarity. anyways, a different division still gets money from the same company and the same company can only have that much money therefore Eureka seven ao is an experimental side project from Day 1.

O forgot to mention this experimental side project turned into garbage in the end but nobody cares except you stubborn ao mules.

• psgels psgels says:

saosucks: I think this is a case of a pot calling a kettle black. Sure, Chocobar also isn’t very nice, but you are sounding really elitist right now, as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

• ChocoBar says:

saosucks: Again, why don’t you learn how the industry works AO hater. There’s nothing that states AO was an experimental project nor anything that shows Tempest getting “better” treatment. Both were handled by different divisions and teams within the studio.

But I don’t expect AO haters to know anything about common logic.

• psgels psgels says:

Chocobar: you too be civil, or I’m going to start deleting stuff. >:(

• ChocoBar says:

How they hell are they milking it when it’s coming out 7 years after the original ended? How the hell are they milking it when the cast and setting are completely new and none of the old characters returned barring Eureka and Renton? It’s like the haters for this show don’t read what they write

• someloser says:

how does time after the original, new cast and new setting have anything to do with milking? maybe you should some research on what milking is before before assuming people are “haters” and not legitimately criticizing the show.

There are many reasons why we consider it as milking. First it’s unnecessary to bring back series that ended beautifully, especially one that ended 7 years ago. If they had any intention to have done a sequel, they would have done it earlier. To bring back a popular series at such a time, we would presume that they are doing it for money. Second, the story is much much sloppier compared to the original, and could also reside as it own series considering the number of conflicts it has with the original. Yet instead they slap on the eureka logo and toss in the same concepts, which is why we assume they are milking the original.

• ChocoBar says:

Most of what you wrote was complete bullshit. That’s not what milking means at all and E7 was never “popular” to begin with. The fact that this sequel distance themselves from anything from the original proves they weren’t just trying to shamelessy rehahsh it like fantards like you wanted. How you feel about the show is subjective but saying they were milking the E7 by making a sequel that’s nothing like E7 is downright retarded. You E7 fantards need to get a life.

• someloser says:

– “disproves” one point with own subject belief to call the entire arguement bullshit
            – e7 never popular
            – constant poisoning of well with “fantard”
            – has own def of milking, cares not to explain
            – distance from ao from original is about the distance between modern warfare and black ops
            – e7 never popular
            – nothing like e7…

yep im out

• ChocoBar says:

If this is how an E7 fantard displays his point then no wonder they hated this sequel.

• saosucks says:

Gundam, cough*

• meaqui says:

Gotta agree with you there. About the plot holes that is. You can of course! like a series because of its characters and just disregard all inconsistencies. And you can of course! openly declare that you like the episode.

But you cant call that objective, its just that: one single opinion among countless other opinions. Theres nothing that sets psgels opinion apart from others now because there are no arguments.
        and also you cant expect others to agree with you, let alone understand what you’re saying. Thats why I dont like this “review” (read:statement of an opinion).

6. pockets says:

It was certainly tough to follow with all those timeskips and odd subtitling. I’m sure it made more sense in japanese, but I’ll never know.

I think the tougher thing to follow was the typos in your post. :p

The reason I follow this blog is for your insight, so I’ll just chalk this up as a rare rushed job.

7. someloser says:

ao’s brother…. you sure it wasn’t a sister?

have to disagree with you here, with this, the plot has… well i have no idea how to say it. it’s just sloppy. the most sloppy moment that come to mind has got to be that renton decides to use the gun to eliminate the first scrub, and then attacks ao because archetypes…

This reminded me of blood c. In blood c, we have a great deal of questions, and then we get a half assed conclusion that “answers” questions. Ao had a great deal of questions as well, but instead the plot direction changes so much within the last episode that it makes the rest of the story almost irrelevant. what once was a story about the freedom of okinawa, truth screwing up everyone, ao’s conflicts with scrubs and secrets, turns into… jumping through the northern light (which nobody ever realized was a portal), saving his mom, and then shooting disposable secrets that gave him the fate that his mother had. (hey looks like there’s more than one way you can turn into a ghost) Sometimes there’s good twists, and sometimes it’s just bad writing.

8. wicked says:

you mean for Ao to not be able to be with his parents. Ao kind of just tries to do everything himself anyways, literally every secret battle end with him taking them on mano a monster

9. Kamen Grinder says:

“The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents…”

Nope.

“And the production values were also just awesome.”

Yep.

10. gurdlo says:

this ending was well, here are some unresolved sub-plots
    Ao and Naru-Nope
    Ao and Fleur- Nope, and Fleur seemed like she would’ve confessed her love or something
    The members of Gekkostate-Forgotten
    Naru and the Scub Coral, pretty unclear
    the ending was too compressed, it seems obvious that thiswould’ve benefited from being 50 episodes like its E7

11. Anon says:

I’m in the camp with the nay-sayers. This ending was an ass-pull on so many levels, and it left me numb at the sheer stupidity of it. The production values were the only good thing about it. I can accept ass-pulls when the show delivers high-quality entertainment (ie Code Geass, Auqarion, or Needless) but that was not the case with this ending. And I’m one of the few people who thought the show was doing fine up until then, I didn’t write it off as a complete trainwreck during the first 22 episodes.

Having said that, I’m glad you liked it. But you should watch it with subs in order to get an idea of how bad it really was – your post indicates you watched it without subs, or you are just really sloppy with details. Like, even sloppier than the ending itself was.

12. Ryan says:

Finally someone who agrees with me. I must say, I love the ending to this, and while I would love there to be more (lets see what the OVA that comes out with the last BD holds for us) I still feel warm knowing how it ended. People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great. Ao was happy to return to his time, he got to see his father and mother, and kind of bonded with his father. I know it won’t ever be what the original is like, and maybe the fact that I consider it as it’s own thing instead of the “Eureka Seven” sequel, that I like it so much. But it tried to be it’s own show, and didn’t try copy it’s predecessor. Overall, like I stated above, I loved the ending, and I loved this anime. People may think differently, and that’s fine as not everything will strike ones fancy.
    10/10 for me, being that guy that’s easy to please.

tl;dr
    I like it, and /a/ over reacted.

• AidanAK47 says:

“People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great.”

That’s just denial right there.
      Sure, Ao returned to his own time. But nobody remembers him. Also if there’s no traper in this world then he just dies from the fall at the end. However if there is traper then his board activates and he dies eventually by turning into stone.
      Sure he got to see his mother and father. Who both despite doing everything to save him, in the end just let him sacrifice himself for their own happiness without a single complaint.
      Sure it tried to be it’s own show but in the end tossed away everything that made the original unique. In retrospect a copy would have been a better show or even it could be what a sequel is supposed to be. A chance to expand on the world and show the lives of characters we love after the ending. Either of these would be better than being different for the sake of being different.

You liked it. Good for you. But don’t dare try to ignore it’s flaws. Acknowledge them and like it anyway.

13. Rena says:

Liked this episode… Disliked the rest of the series… If only it was more like this from the beginning, because in the end the only characters I cared about was that family.

14. EurekaSevenFans says:

Erm, have to say that; the biggest thing is come is when AO meet his Sister later…well, the ending prove that Truth is needed by Ao when time come; and that only happen in movie i guess…The real last ending…I think

15. meow says:

Great production values but super rushed. It felt like this must be what R;N’s Elephant-Mouse syndrome must feel like. XD I got the feeling that the production team may have taken a great deal of their break pow-wowing over how the story should go. Those two episodes felt like 10+ episodes worth of key scenes pieced together into a single compilation and everything was flying at breakneck speed to the point where I wondered if there was enough time to finish the story.

It was weird seeing the friendly secret’s head still intact where it used to be in the Japan lab even though it was destroyed by Truth. And I don’t buy the part about original Scub’s destruction meaning the erasure of people infected. It’s more likely they just live their lives as if they were never infected in the first place. The people really at risk might be people who were born Scub or part Scub like Ao and Eureka herself.

A lot of cool stuff, lots of Renton, Eureka and Ao moments. And even Truth. A bit disappointed that some important side characters like Fleur, Naru and Elena didn’t get their conclusions told too. Or even a proper conclusion. Like…um…Ao falling out of the sky with just a trapar board. Sure hope there’s actual trapar in the air or he’s in for a hard landing. XD

But I think it covered enough bases to call it a win.

16. Houlgrave says:

Although I certainly didn’t hate some of the ideas that Eureka 7 AO played with throughout its run….the series itself is undoubtedly a big, messy trainwreck. I don’t mind a monster-of-the-week approach to series initial half followed by some kind of overarching storyline….but why should I really care about any of that when Eureka 7 AO’s main cast isn’t even an iota as good as the first series’ cast was?

From what I can tell, they really rushed the hell out of these last two episodes, and as a result I feel like whatever point or purpose that the plot was trying to make is a bit diluted and incoherent. Ex: so the Scub Coral was fleeing through the past in order to avoid reaching the Limit Of Life and whatnot…wasn’t that resolved to a degree at the end of the original series?

Honestly, things would have been a whole lot better if they filled in the story gap between the end of Eureka 7 and AO as opposed to this….tangential mess. :/

Nice try BONES, but you need to iron out your scripts with more finesse before animating them so beautifully. xD

• meow says:

I wonder if they ran out of budget to do it better. It feels like they would have liked to have done more. Perhaps they ran out of budget to do the rest well so decided to squeeze what they could into two good episodes rather than drag it into more episodes at a lower quality.

17. EurekaSevenFans says:

Someone should complain to BONES ><; even the official site haven't released the summary for the two episodes…mmmm

18. TheUltimateReaper says:

I’m so said for how this story ended, and I’m not talking about AO. Sure I guess, Renton and Eureka managed to have a child that survived, I mean that’s a plus and Ao is a in a place he likes. It’s nice and all, but still. Lots of what made me happy about Eureka Seven just got shattered.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Bones did the biggest mistake one can do when making a sequel: destroying the original happy ending.

I really wanted to like this series, but in the end i wish it never existed.

and really, how could they let Keiji Fujiwara voice Renton, i can’t get over that, it’s so ridiculous.

the ending was rushed and inconclusive, i’m so disappointed, i don’t even…

20. Ebisu says:

For me it was an OK ending. Battles were very well done but I didn’t feel myself heated up with them.

I really loved what they did with Truth and also how despite losing against Truth the next moment he’s being glorified as the savior of the world (normal thing with Truth in the Nirvash). Though I must say, as others, they’ve left too many loose ends.

I’d prefer to see a continuation to the story, rather than it ending like that. A shame it couldn’t get a 52 episode schedule, as I think the problem with the coral was not adressed (only the secrets were shoot with that weapon and the final consequences and state of affairs were not even shown).

Just Ao returning in a cool way to his place and cutting there left me a bit unfulfilled. Great ending only if they promised more chapters and story in an undetermined future.

21. Blizt says:

Dude, you made two mistakes in your post, it wasn’t Ao’s “brother”, and it wasn’t “Renton” who couldn’t stay with his parents…

Anyway, I can’t say this is the perfect ending, as the episodes before 23 & 24 were quite a disaster, but they did wrap thing up quite nicely, and saved this series in my opinions.

22. Blizt says:

Oh, and I forgot to say, if there’s anything I’m not satisfied with the ending, it’s that Naru didn’t die.

I have hated her deeply ever since she learned the “truth”, when I saw her getting hit I was yelling “F*** YEAH B****!!”

Customize
I actually was going to admit that I was wrong when I heard about the "Kiss" and gladly do so. But when I watched the scene in question it's clear what I said is still correct. They will dance around it, sure. But never outright confirm it.
@Anon, discussed this before when the "Kiss" happened. Despite the series hinting it, and hinting it hard, it still hasn't outright confirmed it. While I am sure it is head canon to the watchers, the series itself is just queer baiting.
Okay... Just watched this week's Yuri on Ice. Haha things got weird again... and they so nailed Barcelona here, I recognized most of the places.
@anon527634: actually about that, I am a bit let down that after that "supposed kiss" in episode 7, no one in the series mentioned it again. Just like that "kiss" never happened.
So when is Aidan going to publicly admit he was wrong about the Yuri romance?
I loved the special ED so much.
Alright... Yuri this week was interesting in so many ways.
I'm also planning to catch BBK/BRK before the year end soon. I'm also find that series entertaining despite its obvious flaws
But come to think of it, I do know what its like to enjoy something admittedly flawed, the first season of utawerumono was like that for me, I have nothing but criticism of it in all aspects but yet ended up being one of those things I somehow enjoyed watching.
Ah, only flippflappers, natsume, drifters on my end.
I wonder if anyone here is still watching Bubuki Buranki? It's weird but despite how deeply flawed it is I find it fairly enjoyable. Though that fantastic soundtrack certainly helps.
@Anon, Oh they announced a Sonic movie too. Apparently it's a mix of live action and animation.
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?

occulticnine-09-4

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-10-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

drifters-09-3

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu ni Lion 08

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373