Posted by psgels on 21 November 2012 with categories: Eureka Seven Ao

Hmm, a lot of you will probably disagree with this, and I’m currently double-checking to make sure of this… but this episode was pretty much amongst my top 5 endings of the year (along with Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou and Sakamichi no Apollon for those of you who were curious).

Why? It just went all out, tried to do a ton of stuff in just 50 minutes and managed to wrap itself up really well for the circumstances, and the way its plot ended up focusing on Renton, Eureka and Ao was just the icing on the cake: the thing I’ve been waiting for for so long, and this show delivered on it. It gave plenty of character to Renton, Eureka finally got some closure, we finally know what happened to Ao’s brother.The entire episode was erratic as hell, and the huge amount of time-skips made it quite hard to follow everything that went on, but that has always been the selling point of this series for me: not holding your hand, and just delivering plot twist after plot twist. And my suspense of disbelief has always been high enough for the characters to not want to bother with the plotholes.

The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents… I liked it. After the entire series was building up the themes that children shouldn’t be in the battlefield, and that adults should try their best to support them, Ao entirely turns that around by just trying to do everything himself. This could be his coming of age, or just that he got what was coming to him. I mean, it’s not like this show tries to portray its main characters as right: they too have their flaws, and I really like that Renton wasn’t portrayed in a positive light in this episode, rather than glorifying him way too much.

And the production values were also just awesome. There were lots of gorgeous dogfights and action sequences, and Bones really made use of their time to deliver a feast for the eyes, but the ears as well. The techno soundtrack here really caught my ears and made this an adrenaline rush from start to finish for me.

The thing I like about Bones’ sequels is that they don’t sell out. The creators could easily have made some shallow copy of the original series. I believe that this is what happened to Last Exile’s Fam. Instead, the creators decided to do something completely different with Eureka Seven Ao, and you can see that with all of their sequels: Darker than Black 2 was miles away from the first season. The Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka Seven Movies were also completely different from the TV series, FMA Brotherhood had a completely different style from its first season despite having the same set-up, the Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction. I used to hate this, but as time goes on, I have to say that I really like this: they try to experiment and they’re ambitious with different styles and premises, rather than milking out the same over and over. It is this ambition that I’ve been longing for for quite a while now, and Ao just answered it perfectly. It is both fanservice for the original Eureka Seven, and something completely different at the same time.

Review will come up tomorrow. Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. saosucks says:

A lot of you will probably disagree with this

count me in.

2. Juno says:

Nah. I agree with you, psgels. People who complain will complain, but I had a similar experience as you, so I understand exactly what you’re saying.
    It’s really a matter of perspective and experience, I guess.

3. saosucks says:

That’s just not true. Darker than Black 2 is as bad as the first one. E7 movie is abysmal. FMA Brotherhood turned into a typical shounen series. And Wolf’s Rain OVA went into a drastically different direction…..What??!!!! It’s written by the same group of people!

4. SaiDaiOh says:

I found the ending very interesting and satisfying, and this make Ao and Renton become one of my most respected characters ever. They both throw away their own happiness in order to protect their own family. Renton sacrifices his chance to be with Eureka to protect Ao from the same fate as his sister and Ao sacrifice his own existance to let his parents can have a happy life together without letting them to kill the Scub Coral. Ao, you are one great man who can be proud of being the son of Renton.

5. Souther says:

As a fan of the original Eureka 7, I think this was a travesty of an ending and a very mediocre show overall.

• Souther says:

In fact, I’d argue Bones actually did “sell out” because the show literally drags some of the themes of Eureka 7 and even of its original ending through the mud, by introducing new plot holes and twists that retroactively ruin the conclusion of the series and go against previously established knowledge in exchange for…nothing worthwhile, other than perhaps making the lives of Renton and Eureka a little bit more miserable. Nice going!

The fact that psgels is praising this series finale for all its twists and shiny action sequences but doesn’t care about plot holes is rather telling. It’s ironic, even.

My opinion is that if they really wanted to do something completely new and different, to the point of making a mess of the original story, then they shouldn’t have called his Eureka Seven in the first place.

That way the show would stand on its own merits. You can’t say AO isn’t milking E7 when they’re using the name of the old show to sell.

• saosucks says:

You can see that even people at BONES don’t give a shit about AO anymore, judging from how much money they are pouring into Tempest right now. Sadly the AO fans will never admit it.

• ChocoBar says:

Tempest is being done by a different division from AO you fucking idiot. It’s also fucking bombing!

• saosucks says:

wow, ao fan, watch your language. Is this how ao fans generally behave? such vulgarity. anyways, a different division still gets money from the same company and the same company can only have that much money therefore Eureka seven ao is an experimental side project from Day 1.

O forgot to mention this experimental side project turned into garbage in the end but nobody cares except you stubborn ao mules.

• psgels psgels says:

saosucks: I think this is a case of a pot calling a kettle black. Sure, Chocobar also isn’t very nice, but you are sounding really elitist right now, as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

• ChocoBar says:

saosucks: Again, why don’t you learn how the industry works AO hater. There’s nothing that states AO was an experimental project nor anything that shows Tempest getting “better” treatment. Both were handled by different divisions and teams within the studio.

But I don’t expect AO haters to know anything about common logic.

• psgels psgels says:

Chocobar: you too be civil, or I’m going to start deleting stuff. >:(

• ChocoBar says:

How they hell are they milking it when it’s coming out 7 years after the original ended? How the hell are they milking it when the cast and setting are completely new and none of the old characters returned barring Eureka and Renton? It’s like the haters for this show don’t read what they write

• someloser says:

how does time after the original, new cast and new setting have anything to do with milking? maybe you should some research on what milking is before before assuming people are “haters” and not legitimately criticizing the show.

There are many reasons why we consider it as milking. First it’s unnecessary to bring back series that ended beautifully, especially one that ended 7 years ago. If they had any intention to have done a sequel, they would have done it earlier. To bring back a popular series at such a time, we would presume that they are doing it for money. Second, the story is much much sloppier compared to the original, and could also reside as it own series considering the number of conflicts it has with the original. Yet instead they slap on the eureka logo and toss in the same concepts, which is why we assume they are milking the original.

• ChocoBar says:

Most of what you wrote was complete bullshit. That’s not what milking means at all and E7 was never “popular” to begin with. The fact that this sequel distance themselves from anything from the original proves they weren’t just trying to shamelessy rehahsh it like fantards like you wanted. How you feel about the show is subjective but saying they were milking the E7 by making a sequel that’s nothing like E7 is downright retarded. You E7 fantards need to get a life.

• someloser says:

– “disproves” one point with own subject belief to call the entire arguement bullshit
            – e7 never popular
            – constant poisoning of well with “fantard”
            – has own def of milking, cares not to explain
            – distance from ao from original is about the distance between modern warfare and black ops
            – e7 never popular
            – nothing like e7…

yep im out

• ChocoBar says:

If this is how an E7 fantard displays his point then no wonder they hated this sequel.

• saosucks says:

Gundam, cough*

• meaqui says:

Gotta agree with you there. About the plot holes that is. You can of course! like a series because of its characters and just disregard all inconsistencies. And you can of course! openly declare that you like the episode.

But you cant call that objective, its just that: one single opinion among countless other opinions. Theres nothing that sets psgels opinion apart from others now because there are no arguments.
        and also you cant expect others to agree with you, let alone understand what you’re saying. Thats why I dont like this “review” (read:statement of an opinion).

6. pockets says:

It was certainly tough to follow with all those timeskips and odd subtitling. I’m sure it made more sense in japanese, but I’ll never know.

I think the tougher thing to follow was the typos in your post. :p

The reason I follow this blog is for your insight, so I’ll just chalk this up as a rare rushed job.

7. someloser says:

ao’s brother…. you sure it wasn’t a sister?

have to disagree with you here, with this, the plot has… well i have no idea how to say it. it’s just sloppy. the most sloppy moment that come to mind has got to be that renton decides to use the gun to eliminate the first scrub, and then attacks ao because archetypes…

This reminded me of blood c. In blood c, we have a great deal of questions, and then we get a half assed conclusion that “answers” questions. Ao had a great deal of questions as well, but instead the plot direction changes so much within the last episode that it makes the rest of the story almost irrelevant. what once was a story about the freedom of okinawa, truth screwing up everyone, ao’s conflicts with scrubs and secrets, turns into… jumping through the northern light (which nobody ever realized was a portal), saving his mom, and then shooting disposable secrets that gave him the fate that his mother had. (hey looks like there’s more than one way you can turn into a ghost) Sometimes there’s good twists, and sometimes it’s just bad writing.

8. wicked says:

you mean for Ao to not be able to be with his parents. Ao kind of just tries to do everything himself anyways, literally every secret battle end with him taking them on mano a monster

9. Kamen Grinder says:

“The ending itself, for Renton to not be able to be with his parents…”

Nope.

“And the production values were also just awesome.”

Yep.

10. gurdlo says:

this ending was well, here are some unresolved sub-plots
    Ao and Naru-Nope
    Ao and Fleur- Nope, and Fleur seemed like she would’ve confessed her love or something
    The members of Gekkostate-Forgotten
    Naru and the Scub Coral, pretty unclear
    the ending was too compressed, it seems obvious that thiswould’ve benefited from being 50 episodes like its E7

11. Anon says:

I’m in the camp with the nay-sayers. This ending was an ass-pull on so many levels, and it left me numb at the sheer stupidity of it. The production values were the only good thing about it. I can accept ass-pulls when the show delivers high-quality entertainment (ie Code Geass, Auqarion, or Needless) but that was not the case with this ending. And I’m one of the few people who thought the show was doing fine up until then, I didn’t write it off as a complete trainwreck during the first 22 episodes.

Having said that, I’m glad you liked it. But you should watch it with subs in order to get an idea of how bad it really was – your post indicates you watched it without subs, or you are just really sloppy with details. Like, even sloppier than the ending itself was.

12. Ryan says:

Finally someone who agrees with me. I must say, I love the ending to this, and while I would love there to be more (lets see what the OVA that comes out with the last BD holds for us) I still feel warm knowing how it ended. People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great. Ao was happy to return to his time, he got to see his father and mother, and kind of bonded with his father. I know it won’t ever be what the original is like, and maybe the fact that I consider it as it’s own thing instead of the “Eureka Seven” sequel, that I like it so much. But it tried to be it’s own show, and didn’t try copy it’s predecessor. Overall, like I stated above, I loved the ending, and I loved this anime. People may think differently, and that’s fine as not everything will strike ones fancy.
    10/10 for me, being that guy that’s easy to please.

tl;dr
    I like it, and /a/ over reacted.

• AidanAK47 says:

“People made a big deal about how it wasn’t happy, and that it was terrible, but in reality, it’s great.”

That’s just denial right there.
      Sure, Ao returned to his own time. But nobody remembers him. Also if there’s no traper in this world then he just dies from the fall at the end. However if there is traper then his board activates and he dies eventually by turning into stone.
      Sure he got to see his mother and father. Who both despite doing everything to save him, in the end just let him sacrifice himself for their own happiness without a single complaint.
      Sure it tried to be it’s own show but in the end tossed away everything that made the original unique. In retrospect a copy would have been a better show or even it could be what a sequel is supposed to be. A chance to expand on the world and show the lives of characters we love after the ending. Either of these would be better than being different for the sake of being different.

You liked it. Good for you. But don’t dare try to ignore it’s flaws. Acknowledge them and like it anyway.

13. Rena says:

Liked this episode… Disliked the rest of the series… If only it was more like this from the beginning, because in the end the only characters I cared about was that family.

14. EurekaSevenFans says:

Erm, have to say that; the biggest thing is come is when AO meet his Sister later…well, the ending prove that Truth is needed by Ao when time come; and that only happen in movie i guess…The real last ending…I think

15. meow says:

Great production values but super rushed. It felt like this must be what R;N’s Elephant-Mouse syndrome must feel like. XD I got the feeling that the production team may have taken a great deal of their break pow-wowing over how the story should go. Those two episodes felt like 10+ episodes worth of key scenes pieced together into a single compilation and everything was flying at breakneck speed to the point where I wondered if there was enough time to finish the story.

It was weird seeing the friendly secret’s head still intact where it used to be in the Japan lab even though it was destroyed by Truth. And I don’t buy the part about original Scub’s destruction meaning the erasure of people infected. It’s more likely they just live their lives as if they were never infected in the first place. The people really at risk might be people who were born Scub or part Scub like Ao and Eureka herself.

A lot of cool stuff, lots of Renton, Eureka and Ao moments. And even Truth. A bit disappointed that some important side characters like Fleur, Naru and Elena didn’t get their conclusions told too. Or even a proper conclusion. Like…um…Ao falling out of the sky with just a trapar board. Sure hope there’s actual trapar in the air or he’s in for a hard landing. XD

But I think it covered enough bases to call it a win.

16. Houlgrave says:

Although I certainly didn’t hate some of the ideas that Eureka 7 AO played with throughout its run….the series itself is undoubtedly a big, messy trainwreck. I don’t mind a monster-of-the-week approach to series initial half followed by some kind of overarching storyline….but why should I really care about any of that when Eureka 7 AO’s main cast isn’t even an iota as good as the first series’ cast was?

From what I can tell, they really rushed the hell out of these last two episodes, and as a result I feel like whatever point or purpose that the plot was trying to make is a bit diluted and incoherent. Ex: so the Scub Coral was fleeing through the past in order to avoid reaching the Limit Of Life and whatnot…wasn’t that resolved to a degree at the end of the original series?

Honestly, things would have been a whole lot better if they filled in the story gap between the end of Eureka 7 and AO as opposed to this….tangential mess. :/

Nice try BONES, but you need to iron out your scripts with more finesse before animating them so beautifully. xD

• meow says:

I wonder if they ran out of budget to do it better. It feels like they would have liked to have done more. Perhaps they ran out of budget to do the rest well so decided to squeeze what they could into two good episodes rather than drag it into more episodes at a lower quality.

17. EurekaSevenFans says:

Someone should complain to BONES ><; even the official site haven't released the summary for the two episodes…mmmm

18. TheUltimateReaper says:

I’m so said for how this story ended, and I’m not talking about AO. Sure I guess, Renton and Eureka managed to have a child that survived, I mean that’s a plus and Ao is a in a place he likes. It’s nice and all, but still. Lots of what made me happy about Eureka Seven just got shattered.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Bones did the biggest mistake one can do when making a sequel: destroying the original happy ending.

I really wanted to like this series, but in the end i wish it never existed.

and really, how could they let Keiji Fujiwara voice Renton, i can’t get over that, it’s so ridiculous.

the ending was rushed and inconclusive, i’m so disappointed, i don’t even…

20. Ebisu says:

For me it was an OK ending. Battles were very well done but I didn’t feel myself heated up with them.

I really loved what they did with Truth and also how despite losing against Truth the next moment he’s being glorified as the savior of the world (normal thing with Truth in the Nirvash). Though I must say, as others, they’ve left too many loose ends.

I’d prefer to see a continuation to the story, rather than it ending like that. A shame it couldn’t get a 52 episode schedule, as I think the problem with the coral was not adressed (only the secrets were shoot with that weapon and the final consequences and state of affairs were not even shown).

Just Ao returning in a cool way to his place and cutting there left me a bit unfulfilled. Great ending only if they promised more chapters and story in an undetermined future.

21. Blizt says:

Dude, you made two mistakes in your post, it wasn’t Ao’s “brother”, and it wasn’t “Renton” who couldn’t stay with his parents…

Anyway, I can’t say this is the perfect ending, as the episodes before 23 & 24 were quite a disaster, but they did wrap thing up quite nicely, and saved this series in my opinions.

22. Blizt says:

Oh, and I forgot to say, if there’s anything I’m not satisfied with the ending, it’s that Naru didn’t die.

I have hated her deeply ever since she learned the “truth”, when I saw her getting hit I was yelling “F*** YEAH B****!!”

@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100