Posted by psgels on 9 December 2012 with categories: Psycho Pass

Psycho Pass is a technically well written series, and what I mean by that is that it’s getting more and more eloquent: the things it has to say in its dialogue are getting more interesting and creative with every episode. It’s perhaps not on Ghost in the Shell levels, but still quite impressive compared to the other series that are currently airing.

The dialogue also really made this episode. It was both very good at describing its characters, and very interesting to hear what the different characters had to say. In particular the cyborg villain caught my attention, and the animators also seem to like this guy. Nobuchika had a major shock when it turned out that his father’s hue got clouded, and this episode really took its time in explaining not only what this meant for him, but also how the other characters related to it. Because of that this series feels more and more solid with every episode.

And yeah, speaking of Ghost in the Shell, this series definitely takes some cues from it, especially now that the talks are starting about androids. The focus of both series is completely different: Ghost in the Shell was a political thriller with a lot of focus on the mass media, while Psycho Pass looks into psychology and the minds of psychopaths, but there are definitely overlapping themes, like questioning the conveniences of having an automatic body, and how we get used to it and depend on them. Having said that, Ghost in the Shell still has much better writing and direction than Psycho Pass at the moment, but nevertheless I hope that this series will open up the door again to more intelligent science fiction thrillers, that will go even further away from your average series in anime, and that dare to take even more risks. Production IG in any case definitely made up for Guilty Crown with this: this is really the kind of daring that I expect them to do. Not that generic mess of plot twists.
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Airies says:

This episode was really terrible. That’s all I’m going to say.

• ester says:

Your comment was really terrible. That’s all I’m going to say.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Ester:I have to say while I’m mostly watching this to broaden my horizons I kind of, like Airies have a hard time getting into this show.
        When the cyborg guy mentioned Plato that was kind of interesting but I don’t overly care for philosophical references or for that matter ones to literature in anime it doesn’t add much to the experience for me.

• ester says:

That was to show that her comment, just like mine, were terrible. As you can see there is no way to tell why that was wrote since no one explain how we came to that conclusion and it adds nothing to those willing to read an opinion. If someone wants to share an opinion, good or bad, it has to be explained so other can understand you, without that, it will be just an ignorant person trying to make a statement out of an opinion. Your comment on the other hand actually explains your point of view and how you felt after watching this episode.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Ester:Although I do see your point of backing up views, I think that sometimes something can simply be put down to rubbing someone the wrong way or just boring them.

I do agree with psgels though this isn’t quite ghost in the shell level though and I think while that show got a bit lost in details it was solid. It was good enough to essentially give me a meh feeling from alot of scifi that came after and psycho pass is a victim of that.

2. Lazy says:

Doesn’t the point of view and philosophy of Senguuji (the cyborg) remind you a little bit of the ones of Mimasaka Koushirou (the doctor in Mouryou no hako)?
    Discarding the body, only to preserve the brain which contains the soul.
    The more I watch Psychopass the more similarities I see between the two series.

3. mike says:

Fckng Great episode… loved everything they talked about the idea of mechanizing our whole body, and Akane doesn’t stop growing.

4. Commenter says:

Indeed. If only Mouryou no Hako could have taken some lessons into conveying lots of info without spending three episodes about 3 guys in a room. Though let it be known that that show had one solid plot.

I kinda disagree with the assessment that Ghost in the shell had better writing and direction. I think that show had a very strong plot, but it was told in a very difficult and obstructive way. There were filler episodes all over the place of varying quality. Regardless of how good or bad some of them were it really hurt the complex storyline. A second problem was that this complex storyline was explained and shown in way too complex methods too. I mean, I couldn’t follow the storyline at some points and had to rewatch episodes. And I’ve seen really complex storylines like Mouryou no Hako.
    So no, Ghost in the shell is definitely not that good at its writing and storytelling. I really like the way this story does it. For one thing it really focuses on its characters and develops them nicely while still dealing with the overall plot. This makes me feel much more involved and gets me to really look forward to the next episode.

Again as comparison to Ghost in the shell, many of its characters were so flat that I eventually just lost interest in the show as a whole and took extended breaks before getting back to it to watch the plot to its conclusion. The second series improves on this ever so slightly, though it’s still miles off its target to me.

I love how they animated the cyborg. I already had that uncanny valley feeling about him when he appeared two episodes back and I’m glad to see that this was intentional.

• J says:

GiTS used those filler episodes to personalize their characters, I’m surprised you never caught onto that…. And, that can’t be completely called “filler episodes” either, since the Laughing Man case was still going on, the team was essentially waiting for something to happen, as other cases would arise. Remember, they’re a criminal investigation team… A damn good one at that, the odds of them being stuck with one case is for too long is rare.
      The reason why you might have had a problem understanding the complexity of GiTS (or how they described a near-complete cybernetic world) is because it made references to millions (exaggerating) philosophical ideas – in order words, Masamune Shirow designed GiTS to be read/watched a second time over… Over a third.

5. DangerMouse says:

Yet another awesome episode. Totally loving this show.

6. Entrav says:

Psycho-Pass does a good job of presenting both sides of the argument well. Slower episode but enjoyable nonetheless.

7. someloser says:

old man logic

hello today, I’m here to talk about how becoming a complete cyborg will make you forever young, and here is my cyborg body, which looks like an old man.

now look here, you might think that you’re not that cyborg, but most of the things that run your life are cyborg technologies. suppose that something went and screwed up those technologies, wouldn’t your life be pretty fucked? so switch over to a cyborg body, that way if something screws up those technologies, you’re completely fucked!

other than that, this show’s pretty fun. shingeki pv also out, animation is fluid, yay

• Lazy says:

His logic is mostly valid, and certainly not invalid on the points you’re attacking it.
      Having a cyborg body mean you can change your appearance into whatever you want, he’s probably confortable looking like an old man because that’s how his human body looked before he turned cyborg. As he said for him it’s mostly a matter of state of mind, which is why he plays the most dangerous game.
      Next a cyborg body has far less chance to screw up that a biological human body, and can be repaired indefinitely on top of that.

• someloser says:

yep, but just pointing out that it and old appearance isn’t going to help his argument. Other than that, “a cyborg body has less of a chance to screw up…”. a good counterargument, but never stated nor has it been proved yet. I mean, cyborgs may end up almost like a television, where one small capacitor may screw up and the entire thing stops working. I’m amazed no one has mentioned texhonolyze here yet, considering the antagonist of that show achieves what this old man believes in, but instead all cyborgs fuck up and are forced to live forever while their bodies break down. Lastly the interviewer was moreso focusing on the problem of where people are afraid of exchanging flesh for machinery, and the old man gives an argument on how people are dependent on technology. Then he gives an example about how everything fucks up, rather than some things fucking up. either way, his analogy is unsuitable for convincing people to change to cyborgs

8. oldcow says:

I loved it when Akane started yelling, that was just great. You never really see female characters in anime get angry like that.

9. kero says:

cyborgs!!
    v. much in GITS vein. so enjoy it. agree that level doesn’t match, but as psgels mentions focus is entirely different. But the world setting is great, would love to see ppl trying to break the sybil system

10. NEuRO says:

I’d so love to see a third season of Ghost in the Shell. Psycho pass has a nice vibe and a very enjoyable opening/ending.

11. Arno says:

I don’t find this new villain very interesting.

The dogs are over the top, the pipe made of human bone is over the top, the repeated robotic smiles are a bit pathetic, and as someone else said his motivations have little meaning.

Plus he looks intelligent, richer and more powerful than the arch-villain. Yet the arch-villain reveals himself to him completely.

And he makes the show spiral out into another universe, a Ghost In The Shell universe, that doesn’t fit here.

Akane has become less interesting too. First she is reduced to the role of Kogami’s groupie, then she decides she has the same authority as a senior inspector…

• jeun says:

I’d like to point out that Akane and Gino have the same rank, and what Gino did was out of line. They’re coworkers and sure Akane is young and new, but Gino immediatly rails on Kougame for doing something that Akane herself consented on accompying to. He’s treating Akane like a child. And that would be insulting to just about every adult person, especially when she holds the same rank.
      Frankly Gino should have talked to her or/ and Kougami in private about it. Or through an official complaint like Akane was planning to do after she chewed him out.

very happy with two last episodes of RE:Creators, though I am not happy with the Yuya cope-out. Virgin Soul remains sweet.
I made it to DC! Reflection and Ranbu comin up soon!
@K-off: Where you particularly far into that manga? Also what was its title? Also I've noticed that rape/quasi-rape =woman becoming attracted has been around in Japanese film even in the 60s.
Well fuck, getting NTR'd out of nowhere in a romance manga sure does feel like an insult, much less a tremendous waste of time. I really should look into whether or not a manga has ntr before I start reading it.
Ah, dominion tank police and AD police, reminding me of my genuinely love of the anime medium.
@Mario, So that was you. I was thinking maybe it was bot of some sort. Accepted the request so you can try sending me something again.
@Aidan: Btw, did you receive my Skype message? I was kicked out from the old Skype account so I had to make a new one and I sent you some texts but not sure if you've recieved it
Well, we're half way of the season already so I might stick with Youkoso. But it's telling that even after watching its episode I don't bother to write up about it... I will give Gamers a full review thou when it ends.
@Aidan: which is great (that they have forgotten about the gaming aspect. Normally, I disapprove of miscommunication in romance/drama but they play it for laugh x 5 times it's rather outrageous, in a good way.
You could drop Youkoso for Gamers you know. I could tell you are not very much into it and I admitly feel like I overestimated it. It at least tries to be above usual light novel fare but is still kinda meh.
@Mario, for some odd reason I kept watching Gamers and it really has forgotten about the whole gaming aspect. It's literally all about the messed up love pentagram now. These people have worse communication disorders than Komi does.
hmmm, anime convention will happen around my place tomorrow. When I say "around my place" it's 3 hours away so I'm not sure if I will come down there. Don't feel really excited to go to be honest.
OMG, Gamers escalates to the whole new labyrinth of misunderstandings... and I'm digging it. I should've blogged this one instead. Amen
@Lenlo, Nioh is something I am going to get to playing soon. Though first I will be getting through Horizon.
Nioh was phenomenal. Was different from Dark Souls in all the right ways.
Your right, there have been so many great games: Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, as well as the upcoming Mario are all instant classics, and besides that there have been a bunch of other solid fun games like Sonic, Splatoon, Pyre etc.
@Mario: Really just sit down and watch it kind of film.
@Mario: I just got back from Ancien and magic tablet/napping princess/hirune hime/whatever its title. In brief, the fantasy scenes are the highlight and its cute, charming family adventure anime film with alot of heart/endearment, runs on kind of too long and could have had more of a story though.
It says something in a year of great videogames when I can really recommend a Sonic game. Sonic Mania is a good platformer, with great control, charming visuals, great music and level design that feels more readable than the last games I've played in this series.
@Mario, Pres and delinquent girl is my favourite but I still hope the Kuudere couple shows up. This week was hilarious with the little sister trying to get back at her brother's girlfriend only for the girlfriend to know it was her immediately and start screwing around.
Mine is Takurou - Chizuru (the red hair boy and orange hair girl in this week's last segment. Maybe because I have a penchant for weird girl :/
Tsurezure Children... makes my heart melted again. Those who still watch it, who are your favorite couples?
@Kaiser: and I will give you a review on... new spiderman movie or whatever. My friend drags me to watch it with her tonight, and I haven't watched any spiderman installment since the one in 2007. Well, whatever...
@Mario: I will review Hirune-hime tomorrow night hopefully. Also I have seen all his ghost in the shell work, Moribito and Eden of the east but never Cyborg 009 .
This was a long time ago however.
I can remember my dads car got its window smashed then stolen, twice =<
@Kaiser Insurance by itself won't hold you back at all, but getting a new car certainly will. The down payment alone will set you back a couple grand and you likely won't pay off the car for about 2-4 years.
@Aidan Jeez, my condolences. @Kaiser Auto insurance covers most accidents and the rates won't go up so long as it's not your fault and you have evidence to prove it (like a dashcam).
Financially will it particularly hold you back on things like rent, etcetera?
But in all seriousness, that is one of the big reasons I haven't learned to drive, fear of that kind of thing happening, actually I think that might put me off driving if it happened to me.
The car incident is an obvious assassination attempt and conspiracy . Easily avoidable by investing in transport by Dragon .
@K-Off, Lightly hit the side of a Van coming out of T junction. Left light smashed,front bumper and bonnet damaged. Gotta pay for that and the vans side door.
@Aidan Ouch. What happened to it?
Yep. Crimson red. Maybe I was tempting fate.
@Aidan: you should blame your car because it's new and shiny it's more accident prone than others. Did you mention your car is red??
Man isn't it great having a new car. It's also great when you crash your new car and now have to pay hefty repair fees. Fantastic. No injuries or anything but it's going to be a pain to repair.
Princess Principal write-up will have to wait this time tomorrow guys. Sorry for those who wait but nothing can stand a chance against my madness for Monogatari now
I still have a bunch of old anime vhs tapes in my attic yes, would take forever to list though.
movies4life
What to say about "one punch man" ?
movies4life
You have still VHS tapes as well in your anime collection ? (me 40)
Hard to believe I've been at this anime/manga thing since I was 11 and am now in my 30s.
@Boukensha: for this site specifically most of us are like you. On and off with anime; burnt out, move on with life and back again... this why I believe the readers who read this site are slightly older than your average anime audience there.
OldManBoukensha
I think I'll call myself OldManBoukensha. Hope the name sticks (this is the anonyperson)
OldManBoukensha
Thanks for the recommendations @SuperMario and @Kaiser-Eoghan san! Sometimes feels surreal how time has flown, started watching anime and discovered psgels in uni... fast forward 12 years and I hit 30 this year. lots of great memories, eagerly waiting for blog posts for favourite animes like mushishi, seirei no moribito, FMA. ah good times. Thank you for taking the baton and keeping it lively :)
... and it's never too late to set up your permanent username now :)
@Anon1329673: if you had to pick up 1 show this season, then yes Made in Abyss. I'd also recommend Princess Principal as well. For slice of life office, Shirobako? There's a show running this season from the creators of Shirobako, not neccessary set in an office place but they are about adult working as well; the name is Sakura Quest
@Anon: Hataraki man perhaps?
whenever I visit here I wish I had picked a permanent username. been reading psgels since 2005 :)
and do you know of any slice of life office life anime to recommend? I loved fune wo amu from last season. melancholic yet intimate, bittersweet anime
Hey guys, what's the best show running this season? Seems to me Made in Abyss ? If I had to pick up one show, which one would you recommend?
@Mario That's the most common method of getting compromised nowadays, even a lot of youtubers got their channels hacked because of vulnerabilities with the phone carriers.
So naturally, Reflection and Ranbu will be delayed tomorrow because of a move. Last for abit. I promise. Hectic time :P
alright, 18if down. Now's the time that I've been looking for this season. Go watch Owari nowwww
Yep, the author laid out how he wanted it to end before he died. Can't say how the new guy did as the English translation of the novels has not caught up that far.
@Aidan: These were presumably written from notes left behind by the author? Is there a disconnect in quality between the non-original author novels and the ones he wrote?
Also the Familiar of Zero novels are better than the anime. Now, not shakespeare but the anime did not really adapt them well. The novels took the plot a little more seriously while the anime went full slapstick with it.
@Kaiser, I was talking about the novels, not the anime. Someone jumped in to write the last two novels.
Of course things have changed, its been so many years since I saw the initial seasons, I couldn't tell if I'd still care.
Didn't really work in familiar of zeros case though , third and fourth seasons were a decline.
A famous example was Itazura na kiss, author died from having stuff collapse on her , anime finished the story.
@Anon, Likely not now that the author is dead. There are some occasions where people jump in to complete the work like Familer of Zero but in most cases it is just left unfinished.
@Movies, Watched about ten episodes and then just never got back to it. I thought it was alright.
@Amagi, Indeed. Hopefully they won't be around that much.
Apocrypha is pretty good when the MCs aren't around
@Movies: Yes, stopped after he got the powerup and then the manga went on a long hiatus, I liked the art though, the anime was tedious though, filler-y and censored.
movies4life
You guys remember d.Gray-man ?
...I think one of the two working on highschool of the deads manga died/
@anon1327403: funny that you mentioned Highschool of the Dead because I'm planning to watch that one real soon. But to answer your question, as far as I am aware of, no, there isn't any announcement regarding the new adaptation.
Does anyone know if High School of the Dead will ever be picked up by another person
I'm still watching stuff though, just finished the Cobra ovas last night, fun camp in the flash gordon/Barbarella vein, though it misses the soundtrack from the old 80s version.
I love a good Bond type spy thingnow and then but I'd LOVE to see a more serious anime take on the genre.
If kakegurui is enjoyable in the same way a trash-exploitation film is I could see myself watching .
Count me in for those who weren't happy with the progress of abyss' manga.
Then again my gaming days are long long in the past for the most part. The humour in gamers would just turn me off now, I've lost interested in most anime comedy.
I was aware of ANN being down, for the most part I really only skimmed their articles. I wish sega would just put Sonic down, its been on decline for so long.
@KTravlos: have fun with whatever you doing in the next 10 days mates. And if you have time, sample Princess Principal as well
I will be off the net the next 10 days, so sorry if I do not answer any replies etc. Have a good time all! See you later.
took the hiatus of my shows as a chance to sample the current season. Saw first episodes of Kakeguiri, Abyss, and Altair. Kakeguiri and Abyss really did have great first episodes, that grab you. Altair was a bit too old-fashioned, but I will probably continue watching it. Kakeguiri had excellent OP and ED, while Abyss had in general great music. And yeah, you guys were not kidding about beauty
And I still enjoy Gamers thoroughly. Not sure if it can keep up with the misunderstanding mess about relationships from the main cast but so far the show is hilarious
so now I know about why ANN did not work. @Holystockings yes, again I should detest it for many things it has, but they pulled it off and I like it.
Holystockings
I'll be honest here. I would have never guessed that Kakegurui would have been this good.
@AidanAK47 This year there have been a lot of good games. Too many to play seriously. I do wonder how deliberations would be since more than scores or genres I don't feel a all out winner, more than different games excelling at different things.
So finally finished Kado, and I have to say I am not a fan of the shark jump.
Really? Had no idea about the news network site
Also too many games coming this month. SubaHibi, Sonic Mania and Ys Seven. Not to mention cold steel now out. I still need to get blood orange complete and in comes a small, medium and two extra large time sinks.
And in other news Voltorn season three is out but only seven episodes long. With another fourth season coming in October which is 6 episodes long. I wonder why Netflix are spilting up seasons like this?
So, not sure if anyone has heard this or not but the Anime News Network site has been hacked. Hence why you can no longer access it.
@Mario: blancanieves was modern silent take on snow white, a different spin on the story.
@Mario: Fun fact, Mitchum appears in a cameo in the cape fear remake.
ha, I wouldn't mind seeing a gag in a comedy manga series where they did a silent throwback episode.
The expressionist visuals of some of those silent films appeal to me.
My only issue with maddin is that he is hard to marathon, that style as unique and funny as it is only works in small doses.
La Antenna was another good example of modern silent filmaking. Annnnd, this one is SUPER obscure/rare: http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.ie/2013/11/yumemiru-yoni-nemuritai-kaizo-hayashi.html
It's like this: The Artist gets the "look" of silent film, but Guy Maddin's works get the "feel" of it
I can remember Mitchum was in an underated remake of the big sleep...
...though you could really tell even just from listening to him speak he was a pothead.
@Kaiser: I agree with you that Guy Maddin's works are more of a representative of neo-silent than the Artist (the Artist is just so... wide-appealing for my taste. It tries to please everyone). I always feel that Maddin is born in a wrong era. Had he born in the silent era he'd definately be a legend.
@Kaiser: I don't blame the audience from the 50s who didn't get the film. I didn't quite get it the first time either but the film just keep growing on me. I remembet Robert Mitchum in his noir detective role as well, most notably his role in Out of the Past. The lead girl in that movie has a very typical femme fatale look as well, which mean she's gorgeous
@Mario: I've been looking into Guy Maddin's work, its occasionally funny in an absurdist way and alot of the appeal comes from how strange his films are, while I think that film the artist was a good take on silent films, Maddins tributes to silent film are far more successful.
@Mario: People weren't ready for night of the hunter in the 50s, one of those baffling situations that it flopped when originally released, frustratingly that director never got to work again. For me I think that was one of Robert Mitchum's best roles, along with his one in Cape fear.
Ahhh, clumsy finger. Whatever...
*Diary kf the Country Priest of course
Should get into Diry of the Countey Priest soon, but consider it's Bresson's movie I have no doubt it'll be hard to swallow. Also the priest in The Night of the Hunter
@Mario: =) All priest films quiver before the might of Diary of the country priest, Nazerin and Winter light.
@Kaiser: in the same vein with Spotlight, right? 2016 wasn't a good year for priest in movies it seems
Oh, that guy also directed El Club, I liked that one, seriously grim story about exiled priests.
@movies4life: Gin no Guardian is a bif meh for me.
I watched No at the time of its release. Good watch although I don't remember much of it now. Not only they have the same actors as Neruda, those films are directed from the same director. This fude also directed Jackie last year that star Nayalie Portman as the First Lady
@Movies: The other Chinese anime attempts aren't any better I hear.
movies4life
Watch in a day the whole season of Gin no Guardian. Is have so much potential in story and animation but somehow something missing. maybe is just for growing up Kids
@Anon, Like SAO season 2 then. Myself and a friend tried to watch that for the sole reason of taking the piss out of it. Ended up not finishing it because there wasn't anything to take the piss out of because barely anything happened each episode and it was so boring that we couldn't take it anymore.
I have seen "The Secret in their Eyes". A good film. I do recommend "Neruda", and the film "No" which as some of the same actors.
People thought they were 'ironically' watching a bad movie until they realized the movie's so bad it can't even be enjoyed on an ironic level.
I am not surprised that the Emoji movie is bad. But I am quite astonished that people seem to be surprised that it's bad.
Gah, I would hate that, having to put up with a kid in cinemas, having to see , having to financially benefit some anti-art film like that.
movies4life
and i watch Emoji with my daughter....I fall asleep
Secret in the eyes remake was pretty much pointless.
Anon-The virgin witch
I am entirely too old to place any care or importance on whether I sleep with someone or not/ever.
I am entirely too far behind to catch up on monogatari.
I enjoy the surrealism that is present in some Latin filmaking. As for secret in their eyes, its got that great stadium scene and twist later on, though some of the exchanges between actors/characters seemed awkward, overall while I liked it, it felt like an extended tv episode.
I'm also looking forwards to listen to their new OPs. Mnogatari's soundtrack is the only anime soundtrack that I bought a physical CD. Still listen to all those songs quite frequently
Since it is confirmed that there'll be 7 episodes, I think it'll be: Mayoi Hell (2 episodes), Hitagi Rendezvous (2), Ougi Dark (3)
So Owarimonogatari will air in 2 days. I honestly don''t know how I should review it (by episode? by each arc? by day? Rating or not?) but dang I'm gonna review it.
You can try another Latin American film, The Secret in Their Eyes (not the REMAKE one). There was a 10 minutes unbroken (CGI) shot that follow the leads in the football stadium to look for their suspect. Quite impressive
@KTravlos: I missed my chance to watch Neruda when it was screening in my local cinema; but I've heard good things about the film. People said it's an unconventional but effective biopic film. The more I watch Latin American cinema, the more I feel the unique charm from the area that I don't feel anywhere else.
Still, weird manga because its kind of increasingly obvious that the people behind Nana are the bad guys .-. They are just overly sinister.
So skipped third chapter and just read fourth chapter of Talentless Nana. Ok, seems like it might have more of hook now? Villain protagonist vs hero antagonist?(who also can't be killed off first because they are immortal, so she would need to figure out how to deal with him first)
@Anon. Nobody cares mate.

@SuperMario. Hey I watched Neruda last week. It was interesting. Have you seen it?
@Anon, Well we can all make up imaginary sexploits, it's not really something worth bragging about. Perhaps fanfiction would be a better outlet?
I enjoy posting on obscure anime blog chat boxes about my sexploits. ᕕ( ⏒ ロ ⏒ )ᕗ
movies4life
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
I'm also as of now noticing this Isekai trend. And to be honest the most disappointing aspect for me, is how formulaic the worlds are. This is also a complain in RPGs. But I don't get how like 7 or more of this, feels like the setting could be the same world. I don't know, I just think there should be ways to make each feel more unique.
I went to Chicago and bought a Switch and lots of manga. I was happy with my choices. Murcielago is a violent buddy cop. Delicious Dungeon is a creative take on a dungeon crawler setting and funny. The 7th garden is a well composed manga, if anything a good example for sequential art reference. I also read several chapters of Mushoku Tensei, which is Isekai but heck it did made me care.
It's like the difference between reading Konosuba and watching Konosuba. I read the novels up to date and while it's fine it's like reading the script to a comedy skit. It's not nearly as entertaining as seeing it in action. The animation and actors just added so much more to it.
@Puran, I actually agree with you on that. I read the manga before watching the anime and couldn't really get into it. However I felt that things would change when seeing it animated and indeed it did. Currently I would place the anime adaption above it's source material.
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
Puran
@Anon, thank you for the update on your sex life.

In other news, I read the manga for Made in Abyss and I didn't really like it...? Felt kinda boring and soulless? While the anime seemed to have some sort of magic and wonder. It kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the Anime. I think I'll drop it for a while and marathon it later to let the bad taste from my mouth subside.
@Anon, That's virgin talk.
Anonymous1320940
my girlfriend is coming back home and I am so looking forward to getting my cock sucked again. Sex starved since Wednesday
@K-off: Genuinely missed Tsugumi when her character got the axe.
Getting the made in abyss post up tonight but it looks like the other two are going to have to wait. Kakegurui's sixth episode will be airing this week and Fate's episode won't be subbed until friday. I will see if I can get secondhand subs to do a writeup but I would prefer to watch it with UTW subs.
The spin-offs are actually a good read because it's essentially similar to the opening few chapters of the main story.
Ah seoul station, that director (or at least the animator) has done some other animated films that I've yet to get round to.
@K-off: Maybe a sequel or more spinoffs planned? I've not read any of the spinoff come to think of it.
The film was interesting, but I remember I watched it after Train to Busan and its animated prequel so I found it lacking in comparison.
I'll just say that the manga does not end climatically nor in any interesting way. It ends up focusing on a new set of characters near the end (what kind of writer thinks that's a good idea?) and rushes the MC's story.
The film adaptation of I am a hero is better than it has any right to be.

Kakegurui- 07[Refusing Woman]

Today on Kakegurui, we see the end of the bet and well…that’s it. This post may have the same problem as my Attack on Titan posts in that I just don’t have a lot to say here because not a lot actually happened. Mary refused the student council president’s offer to join the student council […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 8 [Protect History]

This was perhaps the best week yet for Ranbu. There are no flashy fights or new enemies, but there is a lot of characterization and quiet moments. Lets jump in. Ranbu starts this week right after the 1st Units victory of the unnamed Retrograde soldier. Honebami does some fawning over the units strength, before being […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 07 [Tenpei Cup]

I spent the majority of the previous review breaking down a single scene, so let’s play catch-up for a bit. This episode features the Tenpei Cup, an annual event held by some rich dance enthusiast. Despite not being an official competition, the stakes are high: if the fledgling pair of Tatara and Mako can outplace […]

Princess Principal – 07 [Case 16 Loudly Laundry]

This week in Princess Principal … what exactly did I just watch? Suddenly spies do (steampunk) laundry and do business as well? Getting 231% raised in revenue and catch a thief in a process? That’s a bit of a stretch here. And who in the right mind would think it’s a good idea for a […]

Re:Creators – 18 [All of Us Are Incomplete]

One of the major gripes I have with this series is its uneven presentation that has far too much exposition while lacking in the action department. In the eighteenth episode, it finally found its footing in balancing the exploratory themes of creativity, action scenes and comedic bits in a seamless transition as Re:Creators successfully sustain […]

18if – 07 [And now There are none…]

This episode is one of the reason why I am glad that I’m still putting my faith on 18if, an episode that displays a complete different range of visual style, and a satisfying children’s story about friendship as a cherry on top. There’s a lot to love here, from the beautiful aesthetic that heavily influenced […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 05 [The City of the Lighthouse]

After a three-week break, Shoukoku no Altair returned today with an episode reminiscent more of its first three than its last. If you’ve been reading these posts for the last couple months, you’ll know that’s not a good thing, at least from where I’m sitting. We were awash in exposition and timeskips again this time […]

Classroom of the Elite – 06 [There are Two Kinds of Lies; One concerns an Accomplished Fact, the Other concerns a Future Duty]

Youkoso embraces its true nature this week, pulling off some resolves that are pulpy, but clean up nicely the conflicts they present this episode. With episode 6, not only class-D settles the accusation from class-C; they set up, and quickly resolve, Sakura’s stalking issues and gives a much-needed concern regarding Ayanokouji’s own agenda behind his […]

Re:Creators – 17 [The Rain’s Rhythm Shoots Down on the World’s Roof]

If you are still remaining faithful to Re:Creators over the course of months on end, then this is the episode where all the buildups and exposition pays off in dividends with the grand opening of the ‘Elimination Chamber Festival’. Characters with long standing grudges square off, insert songs being played back-to-back, and Studio TROYCA really […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100