Posted by psgels on 16 December 2012 with categories: Yearly Summaries

So, every year I start my summary with a list of my favorite OPs and EDs of the season. This year it’s a bit smaller than last year though, but that is simply because last year was simply amazing in terms of how many awesome OPs and EDs it had. This year instead stands out through its soundtracks, but there were much more generic openings and endings than usual. So therefore, I use this list to honour the ones that did go the extra mile for me and really resonated with me. Enjoy.

And in advanced I apologize for the people who read this half a year from now when half the videos are taken down…

#15: Kill Me Baby OP

The mind-numbingly guilty pleasure of the year is Kill Me Baby… this requires a bit of explanation. The thing is, that I dislike generic openings. The kind that all look the same, or the ones that use boring songs that all sound the same to me. The OPs that I really appreciate are the ones that try to be different. Even though it’s un-listenable, this OP really tried to do something else. It’s so bad on purpose, and yet it got its own charm because of this. I would not recommend listening to this one when you’re high on sugar at all though.

#14: Tsuritama OP

What also does very well with me is OPs that are based on some hidden reference that you’d only get if you’ve seen the show. It may seem like the characters are just doing some silly dance, but that dance is actually vital for something that happens later on in the series. Also, the song here is very good and cheerful, just like what the series is.

#13: Fate Zero OP

No list of best openings can be complete without an entry from Yuki Kajiura, and this year her entry comes from Fate/Zero, although I do have to say that 2012 has not been a good year for her. It’s this year where it became clear for me that I like her older stuff much more than her newer stuff that all sounds the same, but nevertheless this is one heck of a solid OP. Her vocals still work very well in bringing out emotions, and the production values are rock-solid for this opening as well. This perfectly shows the despair that the characters in this show are thrown in.

#12: Uta Koi OP

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu – Uta Koi OP door dm_4ff7683e84b2d

This one gets my vote for its artistry. Great images, as the creators try to stuff something like 13 different couples into just one opening (Uta Koi consisted out of many tiny stories compiled together). It all looks very traditional and despite the jerky animation and still frames, it still has a lot of eye candy and it was always fun to try and pick out all of the different characters that appeared. Not to mention, great song when it starts going.

#11: Zetman OP

I just love the song here. It’s just so catchy, and it was always fun to listen to it, not to mention how well the animation makes use of it. It’s also the kind of song that really does not get used often, making this really a unique OP that differs from the J-Pop that you usually hear used. I like this a lot here. In terms of content though, it’s fairly standard: you see the characters all make an appearance, they fight, show cool powers. Because of that it’s fairly low on this list.

#10: Mouretsu Pirates OP

When the series starts, you might wonder whether or not this is the best opening. The series is laid-back and allows its characters to play out and all. But as the show goes on, it just fits more and more and more: a very girly yet epic science fiction series that just gets more and more out of control as it goes on. This was a hint of this series’ true colours before they even appeared.

#9: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ED

This year there were only four EDs that really caught my attention. Most of them were just simple ballads that were just there to show the credits. Some were ambitious, but none really got to me aside from these four on a consistent weekly basis. The creators of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou just had a wonderful idea, and just went with this weird depiction of a school play that has the most nonsensical plot. It was fun.

#8: Thermae Romae ED

DLE. Their animation is utter crap, but they do make great EDs. And with a series like Thermae Romae, it’s really easy to do something creative. This ended up as an ode to bathing, celebrating everything about taking a bath. It’s hilariously cheesy, with a lot of creativity in the visuals, and a great catchy song. It really was glorious to end this series with for the brief period that it aired.

#7: Psycho Pass OP

Psycho Pass just has a unique OP. The watered down colours with lots of black made it instantly stand out. The visuals also try to do more than just show the main cast off, and they contain a lot of symbolism about the show’s content. I also really like the vocalist here: finally something different from the same voices you hear everywhere.

#6: Shirokuma Cafe OP

Every year, there is an OP or ED that I just cannot find on a video streaming site no matter how hard I look. It’s really such a shame, because the visuals for the OP for Shirokuma Cafe just scream awesome: a polar bear riding a car that gradually turns into a rocket. It’s incredibly charming, and it’s a shame that I can’t share this as how I would have liked it. At least I managed to find the song for it, which is just one of those delightful exceptions in my dislike for J-Pop.

#5: Kamisama Hajimemashita ED

This ending is just amazing. I know that it is just a slide-show, and I normally dislike those kinds of EDs and all, but this… this just fits so incredibly well. It’s just the perfect way to end each episode. It always matches the feeling for the end of each episode of Kamisama Hajimemashita perfectly, unlike any other show I have seen do in years. It fully captured the whimsical yet genuine nature of this series.

#4: Sakamichi no Apollon OP

I picked this one so high due to how polished it is. It just feels perfect, and the visuals are particularly striking in how the whole song just builds up to the part where they start playing their instruments. With a series that has such a strong theme in music, they made perfect use for it. There are so many beautiful images in this OP that say so much about the characters. It’s both relaxing and exciting at the same time.

#3: Uchuu Kyoudai ED 2

This year, there were thee OPs/EDs that just blew me away, and stood miles above the others, and made it into my favorites. This ED is by far my favorite ED of 2012, simply because of how it nearly brings me to tears, every time I try to watch it. Space Brothers is such a beautiful and uplifting show, and this episode is all about the dream that the two lead characters had when they were children, to make it into space. It is absolutely brilliant how the rocked subtly changes into this kids’ version of what a spacecraft should look like.

#2: Lupin the Third – Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna OP

Over the past years I have watched so many anime, and therefore so many OPs and EDs. With that in mind: this was one of the most original OPs I have seen appear in something like half a decade, and possibly even more. They just completely went into different directions here from all conventions, breaking so many barriers. The way the creators portrayed the sensual nature of this series was just perfect, using the theme of the Wuthering Heights to its advantage, and I love how the vocalist isn’t really singing, but rather whispering her lyrics. This is why I love experimentation.

#1: Uchuu Kyoudai OP 1

I’m sorry! I’m really sorry! But I just can’t help it: Uchuu Kyoudai simply had both the best OP and ED this year for me. I just cannot see it any other way. But this song is by far the best I have heard this year, and the way the creators play with their visuals here to make it such an explosive show only sealed the deal for me: this just had to be my number one of the year. I’d love to e a bit more diverse, but this show just completely sold me over in every single way.

1. CRT says:

No JoJo OPs or ED? ;_;

• psgels psgels says:

I had this entry all written up, and then Jojo came with its new OP that indeed was very good. I’d say it’s placed somewhere between place 13 and 18.

2. Tomtom says:

Overall, nice choises (good songs). Hunter x hunter ending 2 should defintely be on the list though, imho.

3. ojisan says:

Oh, yes!
    It might be TMI, but my life changed with a new relationship during the first season of Space Brothers, and the ending theme is now in my long-term memory for good. Wow. And finally seeing the Japanese lyrics subbed only improved it, which is a very rare thing.

Kamisama Hajimemashita, with the scratchy-film clips and well-chosen music, is a return to what Akitaro Daichi did in Fruits Basket’s ED – worked well then, does now too.

I would’ve rated Mouretsu Pirates’ OP higher myself – I rewatched it compulsively when the show came out. Over-the-top hearts-on-fire that’s still funny. Matched the show perfectly

NO apologies necessary for going #1 with Space Brothers. WHY can’t they just keep the ones that really work, though??

4. Raggers says:

While this is far from a comprehensive list, I can say that I really really liked the following:

Robotics Notes OP/ED
    Psycho Pass OP/ED
    Sakurasou OP
    Shinsekai Yori OP/ED
    Binbougami ga OP
    Natsuyuki Rendezvous OP/ED
    Hyouka OP1
    Kuroko no Baske OP/ED
    Fate/Zero all OPs/EDs
    Sankarea OP/ED
    Uchuu Kyoudai OP1, ED2, OP3, ED3
    Natsuiro Kiseki OP/ED
    Accel World OP1, OP2

and I can’t remember if there were any others I enjoyed (from a quick scan of my mylist). While there are a few I’d put in a “top bracket” and others in a “bottom bracket” within those I don’t really think I could sort them out into an order.

Everyone has different tastes though – and I find my own preferences can change hourly, depending on mood. As of right now:
    Hyouka
    Fate/Zero
    Uchuu Kyoudai
    Natsuyuki Rendezvous
    Natsuiro Kiseki
    ^Whichever OP/ED/both I mentioned above for these anime is my top this year.

@ojsan: OP3/ED3 for Space Bros are my favoutrites so far. Especially the OP – I just love the visuals that go with it.

5. kazid1 says:

hehehe
    I listeing all of your list but what a diferent tastes, for my list are:

binbougami ga op 1
    Accel world op 2
    Sword art online op 2
    Fate zero 2 op and ed
    the ambition of oda nobunaga op
    muv luv Total eclipse ed 1 ed 2
    Kuroko’s Basketball op 2, ed 2
    magi the labyrinth of magic op 1
    Jojo ed 1

For best i dont know meaby jojo ed for how thwy melted and the end of chapters and Kuroko op 2 that sport series was awesome also in his soundtrack.

6. Entrav says:

Yeaaah Uchuu Kyoudai!!! I still love the ED from Psycho-Pass, Magi’s OP is not bad as well. Thee are a few more and it seems that you have fairly different tastes compared to me :)

7. Stars says:

Tsuritama!! Glad to see that made it. I remember being delighted and laughing once I realised what that dance in the OP was.

Exra thumbs up for all of Space Bro’s OP/EDs so far!

8. Hououin Kyouma says:

As usual, very interesting picks and I like that thing of being unusual as well. Also, sometimes it’s regretable they HAVE to encompass both aspects, visuals and music, as there are cases where one surpasses by far the other. Ok, I’ll write the songs that I’d add to this list, IMHO:
    + Haiyore! Nyaruko-san OP it’s sooo fun LOL This is definelty my guilty pleasure. +I liked Psycho Pass OP, but the ED, Namae no nai Kaibutsu is simply addictive and the reason may be that Ryo from Supercell is behind it, I always love how much emotion is in their music.
    + If here I was thinking there wasn’t gonna be a fair replacement to the 1st OP, Phi Brain OP 2 (Now or Never) is just awesome at mixing flavors and feeling fresh for the season, it’s simply amazing! Oh and exactly the same happened to Jormungand’s OPs though.
    + Shinsekai Yori ED Wareta Ringo is also really pleasurable, and I’ve read over there that the visuals contain a lot of symbolism and stuff.
    + Haha! it’s so hilarious because not only I agree with the choices for Uchuu Kyoudai, but I’d also included ED 3!! -is it too much?? And finally
    +I love the ED and I’d also give it a mention in the list, but on the other hand, this list is definelty COLD as a vampire, for not including the Fire of JOJO’s 1st OP! Sono Chi no Sadame~♪ Joooooooooooooooooooooooooooojo!!!

9. tanukichan says:

I’m disappointed that Shinsekai Yori ED didn’t make it to your list. One of the best EDs of the year IMO. Other than that, good choices I guess.

10. Houlgrave says:

Going to agree with the rest here about Shinsekai Yori’s ED: I’ll even go as far to say that it’s probably the single best ED this year, followed by Jojo (Yes’s Roundabout is one of the best songs ever written) and Space Brothers’s 2nd ED.

That being said, I love the guitar driven OP and ED that Little Busters! has. The imagery is nothing to write home about, but they’re still catchy as hell.

11. Kudryavka says:

Hmm, for me I like Nisemono’s OP3 “Platinum Disco” and the ED (version 2), and also Jinrui’s OP. And I very much agree with others on Shin Sekai’s ED. Also had guilty pleasure listening to Hidamari Sketch Honeycomb’s ED.

12. Sudachi says:

Nice! I would definitely agree with Space Brothers OP/ED. Loved them both. A few others that really struck me:

-Natsuiro Kiseki OP
    -Uta Koi ED
    -Sankarea ED

Overall, I really loved the music of Persona 4, but I imagine ‘series music’ is coming up in another post!

13. Taara535 says:

Both Joshiraku’s ED and SSY’s ED really should be on here. Otherwise, very good list, especially your top ones.

14. kero says:

shinsekai ed should be there.

15. shiho says:

I like Uchukyoudai op and Thermae Romae ed. I watch anime a little, so I watch many kind amime and listening op and ed.

16. aoi says:

Shinsekai Yori’s ED really should be on here :(
    Sure, you may not like jpop, but even the animations itself… ;A;

I like some shonen. I just think that they are popular enough as not to be worth reviewing ihmo.
@Anon2140150 - I do. Though Shounen do have the issue of being derivative in certain aspects like power scales and several doing the FMA Brotherhood climax (of what I've watched). Also they're made to be endless. It can be intimidating jumping to one that has several seasons.
Does everyone here don't like shonen anime?
Really, if there is one piece of information (aside from otome maybe) that makes me ignore a series forever it's a LN about a LN author or illustrator. The selfinert wish fulfillment couldn't be more obvious.
Another LN greenlit for an anime production and the synopsis starts with "* is a light novel illustrator and..".
@KTravlos: I don't know why modern anime hate curly- and/or wild hair so much. The old hair style gave Reinhard a more royal look, whereas he looks like a normal highschool boy now. Not that I am complaining about the anime as a whole. Also, I like some of the new designs.
and a part of me things it is indeed the hair. It comes to low, giving Reinhard a slovenly, lazy feel. When Yang feels more energetic you know there was a mistake.
and yes, this Reinhard fares poorly in comparison to the OVA one. He is dull. I need more Yang :p
ai vay vay. The Castrop Rebellion remains waste of time. And this time it was worse. The older depiction was tacky but at least it showed Kircheis ability in a logical manner. This time I had no idea what the hell happened. It felt cheap.

The rest of the episode was ok. Not completely sold on all the renditions of imp. admirals though I still love the uniforms.
*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.
I can be nice and say of course Ryan Reynolds+ violence, comic was funnier.
@Aidan: But I'm sure if you think it over, the first deadpool was trapped in origin story mode, as an advantage, the sequel, is probably free of that.
@Aidan: Deadpool 2 had John Wicks director, which at the least means something in terms of action direction.
@Aidan: There was a whole run of deadpool issues called Cable and deadpool, which I suppose that pairing together gets the best out of the character.
Seen Deadpool 2 tonight and I have difficultly deciding if it's better or worse than Deadpool 1. Still it's quite fun and I enjoyed it.
@Anon, I feel somewhat similar in regards to Franxx. When this series finishes I won't be singing high praises for it. Yet I do feel that it's worth watching.
@Lenlo, Now I get ya. Yeah I understand that. I might even feel the same if I didn't already know the story from the VN.
@Amagi, The second film seems to be in cinema this year but we won't get it until it hits blu-ray.
@Travlos: As I expected, I am disappointed that they have held back . And you might just be right about Castrollop/Caligula/Nero, when I originally attempted to watch the show years ago, that was the episode I stopped on.
Yang really is stealing the show this time. But I wanted the "Alcohol is mankind's oldest friend" rant. I need it.
my expectation is that they will take this to the Battle of Armistar, and then the films will cover the dual civil wars etc.
...CASTROP REBELLION! Why the hell sacrifice an episode to the most useless and bad part of the original! I hated that episode. Well let us see if they can give it a better twist this time around.
The Iserlohn arc at LGOGH:NT was ok. I liked how they presented the preparations. I like the new Murai face. The music was quite good. But they did tone the violence. I expected Walter to stab the imperial officer in the neck. They have toned down the violence a lot. And I missed Seeckts "Long live the Empire" death. That said it was not bad, and I think in general it was good adaption. But....
for example, I think Darling in the franxx is pretty average, but that's not because i think it doesn't have cool shit in it or things that make it appealing; I just find that what the show tries to achieve is not that stupendous or worth lauding with praise. As a result, the flaws stick out that much more to me
@Lenlo and that's pretty much how i felt. Everything is subject to criticism; hell i criticize my most favorite things in the world because i know they're not perfect. I evaluate art and media on whether what it achieves overshadows the flaws and to what degree. Which i think is the best way to approach criticism
I want to repeat though, Heavens Feel wasn't bad. I know some people take any criticism to mean I hated it, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I just think ill appreciate/enjoy it more once the other 2 movies are also out.
@Anon, you nailed it. I couldnt describe it, but what you said /feels/ right.

And Aidan, I loved Lindsay Ellis's videos on the whole Hobbit debacle. A shame, cause the original Lord of the Rings is a landmark in film for me.
@Aidan: Do we know if the next HF movie will be finished this year?
I love how and how often they say "Fujimi no Sugimoto" in Golden Kamuy. It's pretty hype for some reason, especially when it's said by his enemies.
yea. heaven's feel is nothing like the situation with peter jackson's hobbit; this story needs this many movies and that large runtime. The thing with these heavens feel films that is probably bothering lenlo is that they feel like very long episodes and that particularly the first film felt like a giant prologue rather than a film with a beginning, middle, and end
And just to make it clear, Heavens Feel needs at least three movies to cover the entire story. It's too big for one movie.
@Lenlo, I ain't unhappy about it though. Sucks that I need to wait so long for each movie but there is higher production values as a result. Though in regards to the Hobbit I recommend watching Lindseys Eillis videos on it. As it not only talks about how it screwed the Hobbit but also how the movies screwed New Zealand.
I could never immerse myself in Tolkienistic world building.
Man, the hobbit, lord of the rings and that shit king kong film, he sold out so much , this was the man who gave me Heavenly creatures , Braindead and Feebles.
It is very beautiful indeed. And Aidan, that Hobbit metaphor made me weep for you. I hated what happened to the Hobbit
other than that; HF is a very beautiful looking film; ufotable has improved with their digital compositions...holy crap
heaven's feel seems to be embracing its more horrific elements. Aside from that, watching this film made me realize how much i prefer rin over the rest of the girls; kinda wish we got to spend a bit more time understanding Sakura's psyche in the film
@Mario: This was part of some film fest thing, ended up missing big fish Begonia though, that Chinese animated thing =<
@Mario: they'd invited him to introduce the flick.
@Mario: Had this really unexpected run in, in my nearest arthouse cinema, seeing some film about the Soviet space program , I bump into this eastern European guy, assume he's an audience member, awkwardly say something in Russian to him, turns out he's the Russian federation ambassador to Ireland.
It's sort of the hobbit situation where they chopped one book into three. Expect here we aren't getting extra fluff to pad things out. Well there are extra scenes but they are actually relevant.
Point is that in it's orignal form there are no stopping points here were you need to wait a year to continue. It was a straight story from start to finish.
Well Fate is essentially the tutorial section that introduces most of the concepts and whatnot. But even then some of the things here are explained later in Heaven's Feel. Cause yeah, not only is the Fate/Stay Night VN not supposed to be split up into three seperate things, the routes aren't supposed to be split into movies either.
Im only familiar with the UBW route, cause Ufotable
I see.
@Lenlo, In a way there is. Heaven's Feel was originally meant to be experience after the Fate and UBW routes of the VN. That the thing Fate/Stay Night has struggled with. It's not meant to be split up into three like this. It's originally supposed to be three parts of a whole. Each route complementing another.

Hisone no Masotan – 06 [I’ll Shout Your Name]

At one point during this episode I almost felt that Hoshino was just too overboard. Being stubborn is one thing, but when you’re too stubborn you outright hurt others’ feeling without backing down, it’s irritating to watch. The issue with Hoshino, as we come to learn during the flashback, is that piloting an F2 has […]

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Darling in the Franxx – 17[Eden]

Indeed Franxx appears to be doubling down on a darker more serious tone though I still am wondering if it will truly follow through on this or dismiss it fast and go full on happy ending. Personally I always feel cheated when a series foreshadows dark things to come only to turn tail when it’s […]

Megalo Box – 6 [Until the Last Dog Dies]

Alright, Megalo Box was a series of highs and lows this week and I don’t want to waste time with a preamble. So this week, lets speed things up and just jump in! To start off, the big showpiece of this week is the Aragaki vs Joe fight. We will get to its place in […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]