Posted by psgels on 16 December 2012 with categories: Yearly Summaries

So, every year I start my summary with a list of my favorite OPs and EDs of the season. This year it’s a bit smaller than last year though, but that is simply because last year was simply amazing in terms of how many awesome OPs and EDs it had. This year instead stands out through its soundtracks, but there were much more generic openings and endings than usual. So therefore, I use this list to honour the ones that did go the extra mile for me and really resonated with me. Enjoy.

And in advanced I apologize for the people who read this half a year from now when half the videos are taken down…

#15: Kill Me Baby OP

The mind-numbingly guilty pleasure of the year is Kill Me Baby… this requires a bit of explanation. The thing is, that I dislike generic openings. The kind that all look the same, or the ones that use boring songs that all sound the same to me. The OPs that I really appreciate are the ones that try to be different. Even though it’s un-listenable, this OP really tried to do something else. It’s so bad on purpose, and yet it got its own charm because of this. I would not recommend listening to this one when you’re high on sugar at all though.

#14: Tsuritama OP

What also does very well with me is OPs that are based on some hidden reference that you’d only get if you’ve seen the show. It may seem like the characters are just doing some silly dance, but that dance is actually vital for something that happens later on in the series. Also, the song here is very good and cheerful, just like what the series is.

#13: Fate Zero OP

No list of best openings can be complete without an entry from Yuki Kajiura, and this year her entry comes from Fate/Zero, although I do have to say that 2012 has not been a good year for her. It’s this year where it became clear for me that I like her older stuff much more than her newer stuff that all sounds the same, but nevertheless this is one heck of a solid OP. Her vocals still work very well in bringing out emotions, and the production values are rock-solid for this opening as well. This perfectly shows the despair that the characters in this show are thrown in.

#12: Uta Koi OP

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu – Uta Koi OP door dm_4ff7683e84b2d

This one gets my vote for its artistry. Great images, as the creators try to stuff something like 13 different couples into just one opening (Uta Koi consisted out of many tiny stories compiled together). It all looks very traditional and despite the jerky animation and still frames, it still has a lot of eye candy and it was always fun to try and pick out all of the different characters that appeared. Not to mention, great song when it starts going.

#11: Zetman OP

I just love the song here. It’s just so catchy, and it was always fun to listen to it, not to mention how well the animation makes use of it. It’s also the kind of song that really does not get used often, making this really a unique OP that differs from the J-Pop that you usually hear used. I like this a lot here. In terms of content though, it’s fairly standard: you see the characters all make an appearance, they fight, show cool powers. Because of that it’s fairly low on this list.

#10: Mouretsu Pirates OP

When the series starts, you might wonder whether or not this is the best opening. The series is laid-back and allows its characters to play out and all. But as the show goes on, it just fits more and more and more: a very girly yet epic science fiction series that just gets more and more out of control as it goes on. This was a hint of this series’ true colours before they even appeared.

#9: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ED

This year there were only four EDs that really caught my attention. Most of them were just simple ballads that were just there to show the credits. Some were ambitious, but none really got to me aside from these four on a consistent weekly basis. The creators of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou just had a wonderful idea, and just went with this weird depiction of a school play that has the most nonsensical plot. It was fun.

#8: Thermae Romae ED

DLE. Their animation is utter crap, but they do make great EDs. And with a series like Thermae Romae, it’s really easy to do something creative. This ended up as an ode to bathing, celebrating everything about taking a bath. It’s hilariously cheesy, with a lot of creativity in the visuals, and a great catchy song. It really was glorious to end this series with for the brief period that it aired.

#7: Psycho Pass OP

Psycho Pass just has a unique OP. The watered down colours with lots of black made it instantly stand out. The visuals also try to do more than just show the main cast off, and they contain a lot of symbolism about the show’s content. I also really like the vocalist here: finally something different from the same voices you hear everywhere.

#6: Shirokuma Cafe OP

Every year, there is an OP or ED that I just cannot find on a video streaming site no matter how hard I look. It’s really such a shame, because the visuals for the OP for Shirokuma Cafe just scream awesome: a polar bear riding a car that gradually turns into a rocket. It’s incredibly charming, and it’s a shame that I can’t share this as how I would have liked it. At least I managed to find the song for it, which is just one of those delightful exceptions in my dislike for J-Pop.

#5: Kamisama Hajimemashita ED

This ending is just amazing. I know that it is just a slide-show, and I normally dislike those kinds of EDs and all, but this… this just fits so incredibly well. It’s just the perfect way to end each episode. It always matches the feeling for the end of each episode of Kamisama Hajimemashita perfectly, unlike any other show I have seen do in years. It fully captured the whimsical yet genuine nature of this series.

#4: Sakamichi no Apollon OP

I picked this one so high due to how polished it is. It just feels perfect, and the visuals are particularly striking in how the whole song just builds up to the part where they start playing their instruments. With a series that has such a strong theme in music, they made perfect use for it. There are so many beautiful images in this OP that say so much about the characters. It’s both relaxing and exciting at the same time.

#3: Uchuu Kyoudai ED 2

This year, there were thee OPs/EDs that just blew me away, and stood miles above the others, and made it into my favorites. This ED is by far my favorite ED of 2012, simply because of how it nearly brings me to tears, every time I try to watch it. Space Brothers is such a beautiful and uplifting show, and this episode is all about the dream that the two lead characters had when they were children, to make it into space. It is absolutely brilliant how the rocked subtly changes into this kids’ version of what a spacecraft should look like.

#2: Lupin the Third – Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna OP

Over the past years I have watched so many anime, and therefore so many OPs and EDs. With that in mind: this was one of the most original OPs I have seen appear in something like half a decade, and possibly even more. They just completely went into different directions here from all conventions, breaking so many barriers. The way the creators portrayed the sensual nature of this series was just perfect, using the theme of the Wuthering Heights to its advantage, and I love how the vocalist isn’t really singing, but rather whispering her lyrics. This is why I love experimentation.

#1: Uchuu Kyoudai OP 1

I’m sorry! I’m really sorry! But I just can’t help it: Uchuu Kyoudai simply had both the best OP and ED this year for me. I just cannot see it any other way. But this song is by far the best I have heard this year, and the way the creators play with their visuals here to make it such an explosive show only sealed the deal for me: this just had to be my number one of the year. I’d love to e a bit more diverse, but this show just completely sold me over in every single way.

1. CRT says:

No JoJo OPs or ED? ;_;

• psgels psgels says:

I had this entry all written up, and then Jojo came with its new OP that indeed was very good. I’d say it’s placed somewhere between place 13 and 18.

2. Tomtom says:

Overall, nice choises (good songs). Hunter x hunter ending 2 should defintely be on the list though, imho.

3. ojisan says:

Oh, yes!
    It might be TMI, but my life changed with a new relationship during the first season of Space Brothers, and the ending theme is now in my long-term memory for good. Wow. And finally seeing the Japanese lyrics subbed only improved it, which is a very rare thing.

Kamisama Hajimemashita, with the scratchy-film clips and well-chosen music, is a return to what Akitaro Daichi did in Fruits Basket’s ED – worked well then, does now too.

I would’ve rated Mouretsu Pirates’ OP higher myself – I rewatched it compulsively when the show came out. Over-the-top hearts-on-fire that’s still funny. Matched the show perfectly

NO apologies necessary for going #1 with Space Brothers. WHY can’t they just keep the ones that really work, though??

4. Raggers says:

While this is far from a comprehensive list, I can say that I really really liked the following:

Robotics Notes OP/ED
    Psycho Pass OP/ED
    Sakurasou OP
    Shinsekai Yori OP/ED
    Binbougami ga OP
    Natsuyuki Rendezvous OP/ED
    Hyouka OP1
    Kuroko no Baske OP/ED
    Fate/Zero all OPs/EDs
    Sankarea OP/ED
    Uchuu Kyoudai OP1, ED2, OP3, ED3
    Natsuiro Kiseki OP/ED
    Accel World OP1, OP2

and I can’t remember if there were any others I enjoyed (from a quick scan of my mylist). While there are a few I’d put in a “top bracket” and others in a “bottom bracket” within those I don’t really think I could sort them out into an order.

Everyone has different tastes though – and I find my own preferences can change hourly, depending on mood. As of right now:
    Hyouka
    Fate/Zero
    Uchuu Kyoudai
    Natsuyuki Rendezvous
    Natsuiro Kiseki
    ^Whichever OP/ED/both I mentioned above for these anime is my top this year.

@ojsan: OP3/ED3 for Space Bros are my favoutrites so far. Especially the OP – I just love the visuals that go with it.

5. kazid1 says:

hehehe
    I listeing all of your list but what a diferent tastes, for my list are:

binbougami ga op 1
    Accel world op 2
    Sword art online op 2
    Fate zero 2 op and ed
    the ambition of oda nobunaga op
    muv luv Total eclipse ed 1 ed 2
    Kuroko’s Basketball op 2, ed 2
    magi the labyrinth of magic op 1
    Jojo ed 1

For best i dont know meaby jojo ed for how thwy melted and the end of chapters and Kuroko op 2 that sport series was awesome also in his soundtrack.

6. Entrav says:

Yeaaah Uchuu Kyoudai!!! I still love the ED from Psycho-Pass, Magi’s OP is not bad as well. Thee are a few more and it seems that you have fairly different tastes compared to me :)

7. Stars says:

Tsuritama!! Glad to see that made it. I remember being delighted and laughing once I realised what that dance in the OP was.

Exra thumbs up for all of Space Bro’s OP/EDs so far!

8. Hououin Kyouma says:

As usual, very interesting picks and I like that thing of being unusual as well. Also, sometimes it’s regretable they HAVE to encompass both aspects, visuals and music, as there are cases where one surpasses by far the other. Ok, I’ll write the songs that I’d add to this list, IMHO:
    + Haiyore! Nyaruko-san OP it’s sooo fun LOL This is definelty my guilty pleasure. +I liked Psycho Pass OP, but the ED, Namae no nai Kaibutsu is simply addictive and the reason may be that Ryo from Supercell is behind it, I always love how much emotion is in their music.
    + If here I was thinking there wasn’t gonna be a fair replacement to the 1st OP, Phi Brain OP 2 (Now or Never) is just awesome at mixing flavors and feeling fresh for the season, it’s simply amazing! Oh and exactly the same happened to Jormungand’s OPs though.
    + Shinsekai Yori ED Wareta Ringo is also really pleasurable, and I’ve read over there that the visuals contain a lot of symbolism and stuff.
    + Haha! it’s so hilarious because not only I agree with the choices for Uchuu Kyoudai, but I’d also included ED 3!! -is it too much?? And finally
    +I love the ED and I’d also give it a mention in the list, but on the other hand, this list is definelty COLD as a vampire, for not including the Fire of JOJO’s 1st OP! Sono Chi no Sadame~♪ Joooooooooooooooooooooooooooojo!!!

9. tanukichan says:

I’m disappointed that Shinsekai Yori ED didn’t make it to your list. One of the best EDs of the year IMO. Other than that, good choices I guess.

10. Houlgrave says:

Going to agree with the rest here about Shinsekai Yori’s ED: I’ll even go as far to say that it’s probably the single best ED this year, followed by Jojo (Yes’s Roundabout is one of the best songs ever written) and Space Brothers’s 2nd ED.

That being said, I love the guitar driven OP and ED that Little Busters! has. The imagery is nothing to write home about, but they’re still catchy as hell.

11. Kudryavka says:

Hmm, for me I like Nisemono’s OP3 “Platinum Disco” and the ED (version 2), and also Jinrui’s OP. And I very much agree with others on Shin Sekai’s ED. Also had guilty pleasure listening to Hidamari Sketch Honeycomb’s ED.

12. Sudachi says:

Nice! I would definitely agree with Space Brothers OP/ED. Loved them both. A few others that really struck me:

-Natsuiro Kiseki OP
    -Uta Koi ED
    -Sankarea ED

Overall, I really loved the music of Persona 4, but I imagine ‘series music’ is coming up in another post!

13. Taara535 says:

Both Joshiraku’s ED and SSY’s ED really should be on here. Otherwise, very good list, especially your top ones.

14. kero says:

shinsekai ed should be there.

15. shiho says:

I like Uchukyoudai op and Thermae Romae ed. I watch anime a little, so I watch many kind amime and listening op and ed.

16. aoi says:

Shinsekai Yori’s ED really should be on here :(
    Sure, you may not like jpop, but even the animations itself… ;A;

@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me
I am not one for putting down law but can we never ever compare anything to Dark Souls ever again? Cause it's actually become really tiresome how everything is the dark souls of something.
No other sentence has made me want to watch Made in Abyss more
HelghastKillzone
I guess we're finally at the point where Made in Abyss goes all Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
Apo's Jack the Ripper had at least a nice idea behind it, it's just the clothes that are a bad choice. But there are just too many lolis for the sake of fanservice in that game. I accept it if there is at least a reason for this but it's usually just random.
@Aidan: Same here. I was never a fan of genderbendings and turning historical people into lolis. The first one I can accept with people like Arthuria because it added a lot to her character, but most of them are just plain and generic. I just see no reason why pirates, grown up men or Blavatsky would ever appear as little girls. Especially since popular beliefs should influence their appearance.
On Altair, one commenter did an excellent job of poiting out the appeal of that show; and frankly the show is wearing on me now.
@Travlos: I'm glad you enjoy Princess Principal. I'm quite surprised myself that in the latter half the show slowed its pace down which mean the focus is switched from action to more characters interactions; which I greatly enjoy
Well I binge watched Princess Principal. That is a very good show. I was surprised. Good animation, good music, the art is good, hell I even did not mind the protagonist art. But what I really like is the stories. All the episode were pretty solid and interesting.
Just won a fight by the skin of my teeth thanks to my Lancer, Cu Chulainn. You the man Cu!
@Amagi, Been playing Grand Order myself. It's rather fun. There are some good original character in it but I notice with Quantity certain figures designs were pretty terrible. I thought Assassins of black was the worst but some Grand Order servents manage to top it in terrible. Why all the bikini's?
Fate/GO has quite some interesting original characters there. Wish we'd see them in some actual manga or anime series with more backstory someday. - I also like that we finally have an overpowered, interesting and competent Hassan with King Hassan for once. His design is metal AF too.
Binge watched Altair. The pacing of the show is a problem, but in general the raw material is good. Altair is sympathetic, and the world is interesting. But I do feel this is the kind of show that would had gained by a Monster or LOGH type treatment. Also, man it is scary how accurate they got some of the traits of Greeks (Phoenicians in the show). I am a Greek, I should know! :p
forgot to mention. I saw the 91 Days special. Three side stories that give some depth to the events in the main anime, but nothing that goes beyond it's end. Still they were in general ok to good.
SuperWooper
It's got Jude Law playing "this kind of huge robot butler called Charles, who is also a rocket ship." What could possibly go wrong?
Anime with Jaden Smith? Um..I don't know about this.
@Kaiser: one of the good thing about SoL shows like Centaur and even 18if is that their episodes are self-contained, so you can just jump right in to watch the good ones and ignore the rest
I just love Chise's presence so I might enjoy the last episode more than anyone else. But yeah I'm quite satisfied with Princess Principal right now
Actually I am quite surprised Princess Principal hasn't gone off the rails yet. Might even turn out to be a fun show in the end. If the man can make it to the finish line without a misstep.
Hey I am having fun with my Shows. Made in Abyss is still quite excellent and Fate/Apoc is picking up. Even started playing Fate/Grand Order.
Man, sounds like I was the only one to have a good week with their show. Reflection really stepped it up this week in pretty much every category. Not sure it will last, but hey. Ill take one
I'm so disappointed in 18...if. Perfect opportunity to capitalize on something with a dreamlike feel to it and be creative only it ends up getting held back.
And I see Vonter and Mario are seducing me into watching Centaur.
*can't
I can'y see myself giving re creators a second chance, and from skimming these conversations, why should the show only get going at the end? It just sounds like too little too late.
Honestly that's what Re:Creators biggest issue is. It builds up these great interesting idea's and then refuses to capitalize on them.
Then it would be a battle to win over the audience and he who entertains them the most would get the most power. Just think of how many interesting ways that would take the fight. Like Altair could lose power and have to win over the crowd with her backstory and theatrics. A hero could purposefully get beaten to hell just so they can get a powerup from saying a boastful speech about kicking ass.
@Anon, Exactly. Now there is an interesting fighting element. Imagine if both Altair and the heroes had to fight with the limitation of keeping the audience entertained. Altair couldn't pull out overpowered nonsense because the audience wouldn't approve and her power would drop. Same goes for the heroes.
On the other hand I am not a fan of this whole final arc. It's just not believable to me to gather such a big audience who will do nothing but watch and accept everything you show them. Not to mention that the show is technically live acting to them. Considering how much anime fanbases already hate the DN movie and stuff I doubt many would sit there and accept that
@Aidan: This made me pretty angry. like, they wasted a ton of screentime with these boring info dumps and now they're just irrelevant and the enemy just fucks over it
Actually the last development was actually a screw the rules moment as well. So the only way to beat Altair is to just chuck aside the rules established with the last 20 episodes.
You don't need to give Altair a creator in order to to limit her. You just need her to obey the rules the entire series has spent time setting up. Altairs actions are just handwaved with "Screw the rules! I am a OC" audence acceptance doesn't seem to make a difference.
@KTravlos, The creators have incredibly limited power as while they can introduce anything, it won't be effective unless the audience approves of it. Altair can pull whatever she wants without limit. If anything I don't understand why the audence isn't shouting for her to get nerfed seeing as some random indie character is wrecking fan favourite characters.
Vonter212
@SuperMario - Centaur Worries is the equivalent of Every Flavour Beans. You don't know what you're gonna get, bad, good, cringe, cool, deep, superficial, etc. While the gore isn't that graphic, it is still violent for this kind of show and the alien part has some disturbing body horror, for this show. The shock is mainly because of how light hearted everything else is.
I just watched Centaur, it was heavy as hell, but really poetic in tying these 2 half episodes together. God, it's excellent. And I don't mid the show's constant tonal shifts at all
@Aidan I have to disagree with you. Altair's overpowering does not bother me too much. a) If you think about it, it is their only choice, as creators also have immense power. There only other option would be to give Altair her own Creator, but that would turn this to just a Fate copy. So I am ok with what they have done. b) they do explain it world-wise so it does not come out of the blue
A nice overview of the alternative history genre, but more importantly the work of Kawaguchi http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/the-mike-toole-show/2017-09-04/.120893
@Vonter: the manga has gore and alien? Really? Now that's interesting
... genre often does. For me its unfocusness works for its benefit. We don't know for sure what we gets each time and that's the main reason I still looking forwards to it every week
@Vonter: I haven't caught up with Centaur's this week but I heard it tackles Holocaust so I'm all in. It's not something cute girl
Wow, Centaur Worries, took some really heavy themes this episode. The softy in me, found them powerful, but the cynic in me thinks it might have been a touch manipulative, since this show has interesting ideas, but lacks focus. One episode is cute, another progressive, another ecchi, and another the holocaust. Makes me wonder if they'll show the gore and the aliens from the manga.

Fate/Apocrypha – 12[The Holy Man Returns Triumphant]

If Fate/Apocrypha can keep up this level of quality till the end, I may just change my overall opinion on it. I don’t think it would match the works of Fate/Zero or Unlimited Blade Works but it could beat out the 2006 Fate/Stay Night, Prisma Illya and Fate/Grand Order. It’s a decently respectable position in […]

The Reflection – 9 [Downtown L.A.]

This week The Reflection continues on towards its finale. Finally all of our characters are in one place and raring for a fight. Reflection starts off right back with the Idol group, being unable to decide between beef or fish. Apparently an episode named for the dilemma wasn’t enough. Reflection quickly cuts back to Elen […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 12 [Battle of Hakodate]

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Ranbu! Unable to end with a small, personal story, Ranbu prepares for the largest battle yet! Lets jump in. Ranbu opens up right were last week left off. Kane’s sword falling, to strike Horikawa. Instead, it cuts into the dirt at his feet, moved aside at the final moments. […]

Princess Principal – 11 [Case 23 Humble Double]

Hmmm, something doesn’t ring true here. As this episode ends, we can assume that the Princess and Ange have a big break-up, Princess plays the role of Ange under the Princess’s disguise, and Ange has gone to Casablanca to live in a casa blanca for good. To be frank, I never really buy all that. […]

18if – 11 [The Thorn Cross Association]

Hum, never know that Eve is a ginger and has wings like an angel and wears that cool dress. I’ve always thought she’s always naked. hmmm Finally, 18if provides an overarching double length plot to wrap everything up. We have an episode that splits half of the time as a recap of what previously happened […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 10 [Dance of the Moonlit Beauty]

This was the busiest episode of Altair yet, with a script that pinballed between Turkiye’s four stratocracies, introduced a handful of new characters, and chronicled the formation of both alliances and rebellious plots. To try and recap everything that happened this week would require hundreds more words than I’m willing to expend, so let’s assume […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 10 [Voltage]

When I was a kid, my friends and I included my brother in our games, but only reluctantly. He was younger, smaller, and slower than all the other players, whether the contest was bike racing or tag or touch football. If I were a team captain, I’d be sure to pick him for my side, […]

Classroom of the Elite – 10 [Every Man has in Himself the Most Dangerous Traitor of All]

A chronology of events from class-D where nothing seems to happen, but there’s a seed of doubt buried down underneath and now waiting for its chance to crawl out of the surface? It sounds so thought-provoking like a Michael Haneke’s film if I put it that way, except in this show, all the build-up is […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 11[Eternal Radiance]

We have a hat-trick as Apocrypha pulls out it’s third good episode but admittedly the reason for that is because we are still in the middle of a pretty massive action scene. Perhaps this is why earlier fights were so lacking as they needed to save the effort for an action set piece as big […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100