Posted by psgels on 22 December 2012 with categories: Zetsuen no Tempest

Oh no, the world will be destroyed! Just like in 50% of all other action series! Yeah, if you want to do this, then you need to make it count.Just putting the world at stake at this point is adequate, but standalone it just doesn’t make enough impact, to the point where it can even feel shallow. Zetsuen no Tempest is very good at avoiding this.

In this series the world is at stake, and you really feel like the world is at stake. It keeps driving home that this can pretty much happen on a whim: it’s unknown what will happen, and wrong move will just blow everything up. The characters are just thrown between two huge trees, either of which is trying to make this happen. In this episode things started to get really out of control, and even though this series doesn’t show many people gathered at the same place or huge crowds, it did drive home that something really big is so easily about to happen. The shots of the businessmen trying to map everything that the tree was doing was enough for that.

Beyond that, I still love this series’ style of storytelling. It just takes what it has, and then uses one of its characters to completely turn over the logic in this series, again and again and again. I also love the way this series plays with logic: normally this is something that can’t be influenced, but here there are these two giant trees that are playing russian roulette with it. Very good depiction of the utterly hopeless situation that the characters are in.

Also, the soundtrack! The godly soundtrack! Really, I am going to write a post on my favorite soundtracks of the year. I can’t believe how many great soundtracks 2012 had in comparison to previous years. I just need to find a good way to publish it…
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. HunterWulf says:

This episode just exemplifies the reason why i watch anime, who would have thought that seeing two giant trees fight violently would be this exciting, yet Zetsuen somehow managed to do it.

That is only a small part of way this episode was impressive, the fact they expanded the three-way mind-games between Yoshino, Mahiro and Samon into the grander scheme of things and now we aren’t even sure if the Tree of Genesis is pulling strings from behind the curtains and manipulating things for its favor, or are these mere coincidences, or is it the Tree of Exodus which wants things to seem that way so that the followers of the Tree of Genesis turn against it (like Samon did), or is it a bit of both .. and how come Hakaze isn’t aware of the revival of the Tree of Genesis if she was supposed to be the one to resurrect it, and why would the Tree of Genesis cruelly attempt to kill Yoshino and Mahiro, did consider them dangerous to its existence or did it just deem them unnecessary (i.e fulfilled their task and were no longer needed, could that have been the fate of Aki), or was the whole “killing” thing just an accident due to the two trees fighting (highly unlikely due to the precision and timing of the attacks but still a possibility).

And finally the gem of this episode was the Aki narration near the end of the episode while Hakaze was transporting herself and Yoshino to the ritual site .. that where did that voice come from .. was it just Yoshino hallucinating or was it real, and if it is real .. doesn’t it paint Aki as the villain here (or rather overly unsympathetic).

Besides, why some people still think that the Tree of Genesis was turning people into metal, it was very clear that the fruits of the Tree of Exodus were responsible for that metal transformation .. the magic of the tree of Genesis shouldn’t include anything like turning people into metal (it’s just unnatural and against the logic of the world, that’s something the Tree of Exodus would do).. devouring them after they turned into statues of metal is a whole different story as it fits well with the established rules of the Tree of Genesis magic and what it is capable of (absorbing any metal objects that are products of civilization .. although the way they were made was unnatural they still count and are quite similar to the talisman Yoshino and Mahiro used).

Phew .. so many questions and mysteries .. this show doesn’t fail to impress really, keep the twists and surprises coming (hopefully after the 2 weeks hiatus we will get some answers).

2. Nic says:

Hunter, you’re wrong. As much as you don’t want to believe it, the Tree of Genesis is responsible for those deaths. In order to revive and fight the Tree of Exodus, it needs a lot of civilization artifacts. So it creates some by turning humans into metal to use them later. Samon himself said so. I don’t know why you refuse to believe him.

That’s why the conflict between both trees is very hard to take a side for the Kusaribe clan. In theory, the Tree of Exodus is supposed to destroy the world. But the tree of Genesis will gladly do the same if it means the birth of a new and better world.

• HunterWulf says:

Just becasue Samon said so doesn’t make it true (haven’t we already learned not to trust anyone here 100%), and i clearly don’t believe him because the transformation (metalization) coincides specifically with the fruits of Exodus .. as soon as they appear people start turning into metal .. i don’t see how the Tree of Genesis can be responsible for that.

IMO if the tree of Genesis wanted to get civilizations artifacts there are plenty of them around (a city is chuck of of civilizations products .. buildings, cars, .. etc etc), wasting magic energy to transform humans into metal then absorb them seems counter-productive .. i can understand if the Tree of Genesis absorbed them metalized people just among the other products of civilization it was absorbing (buildings and cars and such), but to say it was intentional is really a big stretch.

3. Tomtom says:

This is one of those shows I would not have checked out if it weren’t for this blog. The last couple of episodes were thrilling. This surprised me, considering the core elements of this story feel weak and rather far-fetched: A battle between two trees that are trying to remake the world and provide magical powers to their chosen (???).

I hope the current atmosphere and intensity keeps up and I’m really curious about the direction the strory will take now that Hakaze has returned (which was an especially epic scene btw). I mus admit I’m sceptical if they can keep this up (for no good reason besides past experience with other anime).

4. Entrav says:

Totally did not expect Yoshino to get split in half. All I can say is that I love the direction this is going in. Watching two giant trees battle against each other is certainly something else.

5. Kaisa says:

I can firmly say that any anime that has three people standing in the same place for three episodes ~just talking~ but making me grip the edge of my seat is going to be a permanent favourite. And it doesn’t hurt that it drew inspiration from my master’s thesis, The Shakespeare’s Tempest.

6. Taka says:

I have to disagree. You can’t just pursue every line of logic to exhaustion. Eventually it just renders the subject moot. To me it’s like examining something to such an extreme that it loses meaning. Particularly when placing blame. Everybody just keeps flip-flopping too damn much with twist after twist after twist. Couple that with them just standing in one place doing all this and I am not a happy camper. When the trees started literally fighting each other I just couldn’t help but laugh.

• Arno says:

Not only that but the music was horribly pretentious too.

Overall they have locked themselves into a plot dead end, and they are trying to get out of it by adding maho upon maho upon maho, until it doesn’t make any sense any more.

Their tree graphics were a bit ugly from the beginning, but I would never have thought they would go as far as animating two ugly maho trees fighting.

This show is an intellectual disaster. Not a trace of humor or distanciation. It takes itself so seriously while falling into pathetic nothingness.

• Calt says:

Even so I’m surprised how can you still watching this show despite your dislike.

Perhaps you should check the genres first before watching. This anime’s genres are Drama, Fantasy, Mystery and Psychological. Which means you have to PAY attention to the theories of the anime to solve the mystery. But it seems you can’t handle the theory talk, so you just disregard it as intellectual disaster. Perhaps you should consider trying other anime without the “Psychological” genre?

7. Rachnid says:

I keep getting vibes of creator vs. creations in this ep. And a lot of arguments they made about the intentions of the tree resemble arguments about the intentions of our God (if you believe that).
    Just throwing stuff out there.

8. Shadow says:

Where the hell is Hashirama Senju to take care of all this mess?!

9. DangerMouse says:

Great review, loving this show so much, this and Psycho-Pass are making this season totally awesome. This show is so addictive too.

Also, hell yes, the soundtrack, Michiru Oshima has to be one of my favorite composers (FMA, Xam’d, D’Eon, etc.), it’s so great to hear again after hearing her work most recently in Xam’d which also had a fantastic soundtrack. :)

10. kero says:

marathoned the last few episodes in the last three days!

loved it, I mean we had episode after episode of three people standing around trying to persuade each other to do what they want, and it was was tense.

Brilliant use of music! The feel of the show is operatic, and I get the real sense of puny humans trying to control things that are beyond their control, and who would have thought they’d make an anime about
    TWO TREES BATTLING IT OUT

The whole premise of the show is kinda absurd, but I do like the theme it’s bringing about what is the purpose of life and whether human lives matter as anything other than sacrifices, and offerings, and pawns.

11. hoiut says:

Actually, that’s a fantastic idea. I loved the soundtrack in this one and I’d be eager to discover the others. A post dedicated to the best soundtracks of 2012 might actually be a really cool idea.

Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.
I can be nice and say of course Ryan Reynolds+ violence, comic was funnier.
@Aidan: But I'm sure if you think it over, the first deadpool was trapped in origin story mode, as an advantage, the sequel, is probably free of that.
@Aidan: Deadpool 2 had John Wicks director, which at the least means something in terms of action direction.
@Aidan: There was a whole run of deadpool issues called Cable and deadpool, which I suppose that pairing together gets the best out of the character.
Seen Deadpool 2 tonight and I have difficultly deciding if it's better or worse than Deadpool 1. Still it's quite fun and I enjoyed it.
@Anon, I feel somewhat similar in regards to Franxx. When this series finishes I won't be singing high praises for it. Yet I do feel that it's worth watching.
@Lenlo, Now I get ya. Yeah I understand that. I might even feel the same if I didn't already know the story from the VN.
@Amagi, The second film seems to be in cinema this year but we won't get it until it hits blu-ray.
@Travlos: As I expected, I am disappointed that they have held back . And you might just be right about Castrollop/Caligula/Nero, when I originally attempted to watch the show years ago, that was the episode I stopped on.
Yang really is stealing the show this time. But I wanted the "Alcohol is mankind's oldest friend" rant. I need it.
my expectation is that they will take this to the Battle of Armistar, and then the films will cover the dual civil wars etc.
...CASTROP REBELLION! Why the hell sacrifice an episode to the most useless and bad part of the original! I hated that episode. Well let us see if they can give it a better twist this time around.
The Iserlohn arc at LGOGH:NT was ok. I liked how they presented the preparations. I like the new Murai face. The music was quite good. But they did tone the violence. I expected Walter to stab the imperial officer in the neck. They have toned down the violence a lot. And I missed Seeckts "Long live the Empire" death. That said it was not bad, and I think in general it was good adaption. But....
for example, I think Darling in the franxx is pretty average, but that's not because i think it doesn't have cool shit in it or things that make it appealing; I just find that what the show tries to achieve is not that stupendous or worth lauding with praise. As a result, the flaws stick out that much more to me
@Lenlo and that's pretty much how i felt. Everything is subject to criticism; hell i criticize my most favorite things in the world because i know they're not perfect. I evaluate art and media on whether what it achieves overshadows the flaws and to what degree. Which i think is the best way to approach criticism
I want to repeat though, Heavens Feel wasn't bad. I know some people take any criticism to mean I hated it, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I just think ill appreciate/enjoy it more once the other 2 movies are also out.
@Anon, you nailed it. I couldnt describe it, but what you said /feels/ right.

And Aidan, I loved Lindsay Ellis's videos on the whole Hobbit debacle. A shame, cause the original Lord of the Rings is a landmark in film for me.
@Aidan: Do we know if the next HF movie will be finished this year?
I love how and how often they say "Fujimi no Sugimoto" in Golden Kamuy. It's pretty hype for some reason, especially when it's said by his enemies.
yea. heaven's feel is nothing like the situation with peter jackson's hobbit; this story needs this many movies and that large runtime. The thing with these heavens feel films that is probably bothering lenlo is that they feel like very long episodes and that particularly the first film felt like a giant prologue rather than a film with a beginning, middle, and end
And just to make it clear, Heavens Feel needs at least three movies to cover the entire story. It's too big for one movie.
@Lenlo, I ain't unhappy about it though. Sucks that I need to wait so long for each movie but there is higher production values as a result. Though in regards to the Hobbit I recommend watching Lindseys Eillis videos on it. As it not only talks about how it screwed the Hobbit but also how the movies screwed New Zealand.
I could never immerse myself in Tolkienistic world building.
Man, the hobbit, lord of the rings and that shit king kong film, he sold out so much , this was the man who gave me Heavenly creatures , Braindead and Feebles.
It is very beautiful indeed. And Aidan, that Hobbit metaphor made me weep for you. I hated what happened to the Hobbit
other than that; HF is a very beautiful looking film; ufotable has improved with their digital compositions...holy crap
heaven's feel seems to be embracing its more horrific elements. Aside from that, watching this film made me realize how much i prefer rin over the rest of the girls; kinda wish we got to spend a bit more time understanding Sakura's psyche in the film
@Mario: This was part of some film fest thing, ended up missing big fish Begonia though, that Chinese animated thing =<
@Mario: they'd invited him to introduce the flick.
@Mario: Had this really unexpected run in, in my nearest arthouse cinema, seeing some film about the Soviet space program , I bump into this eastern European guy, assume he's an audience member, awkwardly say something in Russian to him, turns out he's the Russian federation ambassador to Ireland.
It's sort of the hobbit situation where they chopped one book into three. Expect here we aren't getting extra fluff to pad things out. Well there are extra scenes but they are actually relevant.
Point is that in it's orignal form there are no stopping points here were you need to wait a year to continue. It was a straight story from start to finish.
Well Fate is essentially the tutorial section that introduces most of the concepts and whatnot. But even then some of the things here are explained later in Heaven's Feel. Cause yeah, not only is the Fate/Stay Night VN not supposed to be split up into three seperate things, the routes aren't supposed to be split into movies either.
Im only familiar with the UBW route, cause Ufotable
I see.
@Lenlo, In a way there is. Heaven's Feel was originally meant to be experience after the Fate and UBW routes of the VN. That the thing Fate/Stay Night has struggled with. It's not meant to be split up into three like this. It's originally supposed to be three parts of a whole. Each route complementing another.
Nayrael
And so am I
@Lenlo: Its like....sometimes I actually want to be able to like something I end up not liking, knowing I am the problem and not the show.
Spoiler alaert: anime is trash
I can understand that. I cant stand Clannad, so everytime I ask for a decent romance and it gets recommended I die alittle inside.
While thats very true that not everyone agreeing does make things more interesting, at the same time theres some sense of feeling left out when not understanding the appeal of something extremely well loved.
Also @Maskey +1. If everyone agreed with each other, it would be boring. I love hearing what other people think on stuff.
Also, @Kaiser, give Ippo a try. It is one of the longest running and best sports anime/manga ever made. I sincerely believe this. That said, Megalo Box isnt bad. I still enjoy it. Ive just seen boxing done better.
It wasnt a bad movie. It just felt like it had a lot going on. Like Gil had a 30 sec clip, I don't really understand what the ribbon monster is but I suspect its the grail, and the new Assassin pulling an Alien, while cool, came out of left field. Like, once I just accepted it and moved on it was a fun movie. It just felt like there was a base of knowledge I needed but didnt have.
Eh, its okay to not like something that someone else likes. I disagree rather often with blog writers' opinions here but I still enjoy reading their opinions
@Mario: There was a another idolmaster show and it had mecha in it.
Based on that I think I'm getting more out of it because I've only seen a few ippo episodes so I don't have much to go on to compare.
I think thats the reason here Lenlo, comparatively to you, I have seen much less of ippo so, contrasting megalo box with it isn't something I can really do.
But seriously, you can ask me on discord about anything you didn't quite get, provided it's not explained later.
@Lenlo, you are just a big dumb dumb that cannot understand art.
... more films coming soon
@Lenlo: maybe wanting more is a right feeling since there will be 2
So just finished Heavens Feel and I was... not as impressed as Aidan. As someone who is not a big TypeMoon fan, I had a lot of trouble keeping up with what was happening. It was pretty don't get me wrong. Thats Ufotable for you. But as a cohesive story it left me wanting
@Kaser: I'll send down the link once it has something on it
I'll be sure to read Mario's film blog.
Likely a compliment coming from me that increasingly Cutie honey is able to one up itself constantly in ridiculousness.
@supermario: well, i did find the Nitta interaction with his family funny... Literally convincing them with his charisma alone. But i am finally happy for Anzu. this is Sash by the way, can't change my name for some reason
Nepal Trek is the trek to the roof of the world that reminds you mystic and religious rites, Yeti, fascinating adventures and explorer’s tales and mysterious places like the heaven in earth. you can choose:
Everest Base Camp Trek, ABC Trek, Langtang Trek
Well shit. Franxx actually went there. I mean I suspected it but I am still surprised they actually did it.
@Sash: I did (a little) too, damn isn't Hinamatsuri a comedy?
Sash
Today's episode of Hinamaturi made me cry....
avanti o popolo
alla riscossa
Bandiera Rossa
Bandiera Rossa
I would deem myself hideously verbose.
Oh I understand Aidan. Wordy is a character trait we share.
@Lenlo, I generally get wordy with series I am massively into.
You are now aware that Asirpa is voiced in English by Tanya AND hello kitties voice actress.
Golden Kamuy mangas reaction faces are amazing
Also those reaction faces come across more effectively in the manga.
And retar is best wolf .
@Mario: Thats exactly what I mean by my comment, I realized just how more, as I said visceral the manga is, much better.
@Kaiser: on Golden Kamuy, the anime does a poor job translating some of the manga's greater moments and tone down the violence which I am not happy about. For example one of the soldier got his face ripped off as once by the bear, but in the anime they did it off screen

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Darling in the Franxx – 17[Eden]

Indeed Franxx appears to be doubling down on a darker more serious tone though I still am wondering if it will truly follow through on this or dismiss it fast and go full on happy ending. Personally I always feel cheated when a series foreshadows dark things to come only to turn tail when it’s […]

Megalo Box – 6 [Until the Last Dog Dies]

Alright, Megalo Box was a series of highs and lows this week and I don’t want to waste time with a preamble. So this week, lets speed things up and just jump in! To start off, the big showpiece of this week is the Aragaki vs Joe fight. We will get to its place in […]

Hinamatsuri – 06 [Nitta-san Has a Dandy Dad]

This week in Anzumatsuri Hinamatsuri, the show proves once again that it does have something up its sleeves. Rarely a show does the drama effectively to the point of winning me some (manly) tears, let alone a comedy show in nature like this, but Hinamatsuri more than earned it with a nice emotional story for […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 5 [Solitude of the Astigmatism -Entangled Sheep-]

Another week another new character added to Steins;Gate 0’s roster. This time we have a new scientist lady, more lovable “English” and answers to already obvious mysteries. Lets dive in! So right off the bat there are some small things to mention. Like how Moeka clearly suspects Daru for his time travel work, or the […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]