Posted by psgels on 5 January 2013 with categories: Some Quick First Impressions

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru

Short Synopsis: Our lead character gets to date the hottest girls in school.
Okay. Here is the thing with this series: its premise is crap. This episode did its best to hide this a bit by at least giving the main couple a bunch of similarities (they hate love) and building this up well, but I see no way whatsoever for this series to work. I can totally see where this is going: they both hate love and gradually across the series they fall in love. That alone should be fine, but then this series comes and stars three more girls, one of which was confirmed to be the dreaded childhood friend. How the hell are they going to contribute to this series beyond being a shallow harem? This is like this fancy-looking boat with a gigantic hole in it: waiting to sink any minute after it heads out. I mean, this is A-1: the production at least was not cheap and the acting was far from as bad as some of the other shows of its genre. It’s just… that terrible premise.
OP: FANSERVICE
Potential: 30%

Cuticle Detective Inaba

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a detective with special dog powers.
Oh my god. I originally was not interested in this show that much, but I did not expect it to be this bad. Here is the thing: the people who adapted this thing seemed to have put no thoughts whatsoever in figuring out how the jokes of the manga this is based on translate over to anime. It’s been a while since I’ve seen such a bad delivery of what could have been some good jokes if the creators took their time to build them up. Right now, this episode just keeps pulling jokes out of its ass without any eye for continuity. This feels like it was written by a bunch of amateurs who don’t know the basics of comedy: they sortof have an idea of what it means to be funny, but have no clear grasp of the details. The result is an episode chockful of random anti-climaxes that feel just put in there for the sake of having tons of anti-climaxes. It tries so hard to put in as many jokes as possible, without making sure to make any of them count. I can tell that the manga that this is based on has a sense of humour: that made me laugh a few times. But holy crap, this is not being translated well here…
ED: Again: trying waaaay too hard.
Potential: 10%

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Short Synopsis: Our lead character gets to own a demon king with BOOBS.
Cynical synopsis aside: this was the first episode I liked this new season. And it comes from ARMS of all people. For the record: that studio is known for making absolutely horrible fanservice fighting shows over and over. This episode had politics, and very interesting ones at that! I like how this series emphasizes that the war between the humans and demons has become too necessary to make it stop, and it can actually get quite interesting for the main cast to try and solve that. Now if only the main cast was a bit more interesting. It’s basically this sexually frustrated demon queen who just glomps the first guy who she manages to run into, and this typical teenaged male lead hero with very little personality. The only thing that was interesting between them was their dialogue: that was well written. But their actual characters… nah. Their chemistry feels very clunky together. Also, boobs.
OP: Interesting vocalist, pretty good use of music.
ED: An actual good ED that is not about fanservice. Arms, you surprised me.
Potential: 75%

1. Jalapeno Bagel says:

Boobs make a character. Especially well-animated boobs.

That aside, I think this episode confirmed me to that the director’s far more important than the studio in how the final product turns out. Lots of interesting animation here, even if the framerate was a bit…eh on some parts.

Although I really wonder if the Demon Queen really did just randomly decide to glomp the Hero. The hug pillow (I think first time I’ve seen foreshadowing with such a thing…) implies there’s some foreknowledge of who he was…

• kei says:

She actually told him when they meet for the first time that she’s been waiting for him for a long time, so she knew before hand that he’d come.

As for the episode, I thought it was nice. Being animated by ARMS, I wasn’t excpecting this to break the norm when it comes to ARMS and fan service, but I did enjoy the exposition. How the economics and war were tied together were really interesting, and is really true when you think about it, if you were to apply it to reality. It was a nice touch!

2. Cytl says:

I was already fearing about the boob emphasis (this was also in the novels, but not so much) but meh, it’s just a minor issue. The pillow clearly shows that she knew Hero from before, and don’t worry, Demon Queen should start showing next episode her intellect (Just as Hero should start showing his insecurities in the next after that. I’m quite excited about the next episode because it has my favorite scene of the series, I hope they deliver with it.

3. maizehughes says:

It’s worth pointing out that we’ve got the voice actors for Lawrence and Holo from Spice & Wolf* talking about economics and politics! So, I’m excited. I’m concerned about the characterization of the Demon Queen – if they make her insecurities the focus of her character, it will be unwatchable to me. And, while jiggle-service is regrettable, I can’t say I object to having a female character who actually looks like a grownup.

*Yes, I know, Wolf & Spice, with Horo :)

4. CitizenOfUlysses says:

It is unfortunate that ARMS is the studio that picked this up; the concept is really interesting and the right execution can make it really shine (as seen in the main manga adaptation).

I really enjoyed the dialogue and voice acting (love this cast so much). But it kinda sucks thinking about how any other studio adapting this would have made probably a better product. I’m still glad it’s being made, though. Better a kinda good adaptation with god-tier voice acting than nothing.

One thing that blows about watching people react to adaptations of stories that you love is when they misjudge a character from the first few episodes, or presume something is a plothole when it get’s explained later. Please stick with this, psgels! It will, bar the studio completely fucking it up, be awesome!

5. Frost says:

Huh… Im skeptical about Mayou

Considering it has the same VAs as Spice & Wolf and a similar setting even, it wasnt even close to its brilliance… I hope this was just a random introduction episode and the real thing starts in the 2nd

And yeah, boobs… So stupid and unnecessary in a show like this
    And also, they made the character designs way too mainstream/moe… Its horrible

I checked the manga to compare and especially the girl looks about 20, rather than 15 or so like in the anime, its a huge difference

So yeah, Im afraid they are just gonna butcher the whole thing, sigh

• Rachnid says:

I believe it’s been mentioned before, the two might be similar in certain concepts but are really quite different. Spice and Wolf is brilliant and witty and smart and packed with great dialogue. Maoyuu on the other hand, is not trying to achieve that. It’s sort of educational, about the importance of certain inventions and economic systems (of our world) and why certain things are the way they are. Sort of “World History in a nutshell” thing.

• JaK says:

dude their are like 3 different manga’s for this :| the anime adapts the novel not the manga

6. Chan says:

Yeah boobs, I’m not gonna spoil it for you, but this Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a self aware series. So I’ll just give you a piece of advice think classic RPG logic with economics and you’ve got the right mindset.

7. wicked says:

Boobs is a running gag from the source material. I think you’ll like the characters soon enough, I dont really understand the need to immediately like characters right off the bat without characterization

8. Rachnid says:

being a fan of the story, I am impressed with the amount of info they put into the first episode, all the characters that weren’t meant to appear until later, shows that they’re really trying to add something of their own to the story, i’m pleasantly surprised.
    Overly bouncy yet sorta saggy boobs aren’t really my taste though.

9. Anca says:

Her boobs are creepy and disturbing. Way too high.

10. TheUltimateReaper says:

Mayouu got my attention. Man it’s been too long I didn’t recognize the voice actors. Well other than Sawashiro of course. Of course the series shows some issues, and it’s been mentioned the studio isn’t the best, but it feels promising. The character models leave a bit to be desired but I’m sure personality will make up for it. Everything aside it’s got it’s own charm right? Spice and Wolf was great but I don’t see the point of comparing. It should also be noted that so far the economics aren’t as advanced or explained as well in Mayouu so far. Which in my opinion, counts for a lot when talking about politics/economics.

11. Entrav says:

The studio’s specialty is animating boobs. I mean, look at its history. Anyways, the economic side of things should be interesting as we see many people with conflicting opinions. Good stuff.

12. Anon Royale says:

The Anime was faithful, but there was too much fan service. The Manga beats the Anime by a thousand’s pace, the fan service that was found in the Manga was not so awkward. I do not like this director… although I admit, the anime turned out much better than I had imagined.

13. HunterWulf says:

It was sad to see people dismissing ‘Maoyuu Maou Yuusha’ just becasue of the reputation of the studio animating the show, personally as soon as i was done reading the previews and watching the trailers for it i knew that despite the obvious fanservice the show actually has some depth and an interesting premise that deals with economics and politics of war … so far it’s on my list of “to watch” series this season and like Psgels said, the best first episdoe that aired from this season so far.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

The question is though will the fanservice however much or how little cause the show to trip over itself. Theres also that it belongs in a romcom or action show where it fits in not in something like this.
      Its the economics bit though that sounds a bit stuffy and dull though to me as a premise.

• HunterWulf says:

I don’t think the fanservice will get in the way of the story and characters interactions if the director is careful and stays faithful to the source material strong points (which does include fanservice by the way).

And personally i don’t think the entire premise will be an economics lecture/tour .. it will have some political elements and action as well .. what makes it interesting to me is how will they integrate all these elements together in meaningful ways (economics, politics, action, .. and even fanservice) .. if the manage to do so it will be an enjoyable show IMO.

14. Cytl says:

I’ve read the manga of Ore no Kanojo and there’s really nothing to look forward. By the way, the opening song (just the song) of this anime reminded me of those early 2000’s rom-com openings, just saying.

15. Sheba says:

about Ore Shura and the childhood friend trope… I swear, if God drowned a kitten everytime one of those childhood friends characters appear in a romcom, and have NO other card to play than this one, he will drive the entire cat species to extinction. That’s just how overused that trope is.

Customize
@Anon68842, depends on the type. If it's the abusive drunk ignorant type then yeah, fuck em. But if we are talking the ordinary variety I say give them a break. They do more for you that you might think.
fuck them
we agrees that moms are bitches
And in Visual novel news, Dies Irae is getting a localisation. That's another one off the VN bucket list. I heard it was notoriously hard to translate. Though people are making a stink over it being all ages but I couldn't care less. All ages just means no shoehorned sex scenes and that's fine in my book.
@Topgavin, I never quite got that from Honoka but I prefer a character to be imperfect rather than perfect. Saints are boring and having a character always do right is predictable. While I somewhat understand the appeal, one thing that never sat right with me regarding "cute girls,cute things" shows is how utterly manufactured the characters are.
Started watching Love Live and it's made me wonder; is it better to have an mc that does things annoyingly wrong or satisfyingly wrong? Like, Yui from k-on does a lot wrong but it never leads to anything wrong or bad, but Honoka's rather selfish and ends up screwing things up for people. I know doing this is good for char. development but I honestly enjoy these shows more as moeblob peacefulness.
Hey
afgm
i did summer session so I have a midterm every two weeks
@afgm Midterms? Most university/college systems would be starting school right around this time.
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 22 3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 22

Well the battle against the witches cult has started and…ended. I didn’t quite expect my words in the last episode review to turn out prophetic as Betelgeuse and his minions are taken out so quickly and anticlimactically considering how much this arc has built them up to be the main villain. Through Subaru seems to […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]