Posted by psgels on 9 January 2013 with categories: Some Quick First Impressions

Kotoura-San

Short Synopsis: Our lead character can read people’s minds.
What they did for this series is that they handed what was actually a pretty cool premise to a bunch of soap opera writers. What I mean by that is that I actually quite like the concept of this series, of a girl who can read minds and how this affects her as a child. What I dislike is that the creators lack any sort of subtlety. Throughout the first half of this episode they do whatever possible to make the life of the female lead a complete hell. Of course, there are children who grow up in horrible environments, but this show, it starts off happily, only to throw one depressing plot twist after the other, to the point at wich it becomes laughable and adults completely overreacting. Nobody in this series has any common sense whatsoever… except for the male lead of course. So yeah: this series can go into two directions: wish fulfillment by showing a cute girl warm up to a typical lazy guy with dirty thoughts (ie, a target demographic often used for anime), or a charming coming of age story for a group of scarred teenagers. Which one will it be?
OP: It’s the way in which this contrasts with the really dark first half that makes it stand out.
ED: Good piano song
Potential: 70%

Tamako Market

Short Synopsis: Our lead character works at a Mochi bakery.
Someone shoot me. Tamako Market had the best first episode of the new season. I did not expect this from what was advertised as the next K-On. But really: to see this as the next K-On would be a grave disservice. You do not watch this series for the cute girls: cute girls are just a part of it. No, you really watch this series for the parrot. I love that animal. Beyond that though, this series also sets itself apart from a lot of other Kyoani series in a very interesting way: its cast is varied. It’s not just about a bunch of teenagers at school having a club. It’s got some teenagers, it’s also about a bakery, it’s got shop owners of all kinds of ages. There was so much going on, and not just random chatter. The characters as well: for once they’re not stereotypes. The lead female is ditzy, but it’s not her only character trait. The chemistry between the characters is also really good: no character is trying too hard to be annoying, which is a thing that really got on my nerves with K-On and Lucky Star.
OP: Mostly stands out through its animation.
ED: This is quite good: great visuals and nice song.
Potential: 85%

GJ Bu

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a random high school student.
So, GJ Bu is a show of the genre “bunch of teenagers hang out at school and do random stuff”. It’s a genre that I know is not for me by far. I can only enjoy these kinds of series when there is something else going on beyond just the random sketches… but GJ Bu doesn’t have that. It tries to be funny… but isn’t. It’s just various situations with sterotypical characters who try to be cute/charming/quirky. It also doesn’t help that most of the jokes are focused on stereotypes: the rich girl is rich, so she doesn’t know what instand noodles are. The catgirl eats a lot, so she eats a lot. The calm girl is calm so she isn’t afraid of anything. That kind of dull stuff. It all feels so forced, dull and uninspired, and this just isn’t my type of series.
OP: Some idols got their first singing job or someting…
ED: Generic J-Pop, cheesy visuals.
Potential: 10%

1. Airies says:

ooooooooooouch! bitchy op commment ;)

2. hal says:

I was also positively surprised by Tamako Market. I thought as well, that it would be a 2nd K-on (I didn’t dislike K-on, actually, it was alright.) The parrot was cool, the heroine likable. And the secondary characters as well. I also liked that guy who has a crush on Tamako. Reminds me a bit of Fujioka from Minami-ke. And what I like the most is, that there are actually guys and older people in the cast. I hate it, when shows are all-girls in highschool.
    I think I’m going to like this show.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Hal:You didn’t like Azumanga daioh then? =O

• Litho says:

Unlike K-On, Azumanga Daioh was funny.

K-On was just an insult to guitarists. You work hard all your school life to buy a cheap used Yamaha, and some annoying highschool moe-blob who can’t even play goes out and buys a Les Paul. Fuck that shit!!

• Frost says:

Agree, even though I just skimmed through, not only that but she gets a guitar and like 3 months later she is freaking Joe Satriani soloing on that thing LMAO

Insulting indeed

• hal says:

No, Azumanga Daioh was funny. The problem I have with those “all girls” shows are, that they’re completely unrealistic. Azumanga never wanted to be realistic, so that’s ok. But most of those “cute girls doing cute things” at least set out to have a bit of realism.
        I hate that glorification of cute, single, virgin girls, just to please fat creepy otaku, in anime nowadays.

3. Frost says:

Oh boy, when I saw the pic for Tamako Market I was like “oh fuck me sideways, not another moeblob trainwreck”, but reading your review Ill give it a try anyway, though I didnt like K-on or anything that came after (Hyouka was fine I guess)

What a sad season… Probably the worst of the decade

4. Entrav says:

Tamako Market is definitely interesting enough for me to keep watching it. It had some nice bits of humor and wasn’t overly permeated with moe. The ending bit is quite intriguing as well.

5. boa_sting says:

>> moeblob throws a twirly rod thing in the air and it bonks her on the head

Could’ve sworn KyoAni did that last season too…

6. Cytl says:

Good to see Tamako market wasn’t a disappointment: the bird is great and the girl wasn’t annoying as I thought because of the OP. The cast is also quite colorful (we even have what most likely is a crossdresser).

7. someloser says:

feels child oriented, which isn’t a bad thing considering it might work for what it’s trying to achieve. the bird felt like a lower tier tonnura-san which could actually work. so much autism though, and kyoani needs to seriously stop with the sameface.

8. Rachnid says:

I feel kinda alone on this, I didn’t like the bird at all, feels too forced. I’m thinking he’s gonna fade out a little into the background and the other characters will get their chance to shine, that will be when I’ll start liking this show.

9. Censor this! says:

Tamako Market was great! I’m excited about the direction this series will take. The previews seemed to focus on Tamako’s high school life and friends, but this episode actually didn’t do that. I love how varied the cast is, and I’m curious about the construction of this series. It seems as if it will be focusing on two aspects of the heroines life; that with her running the mochi shop and the mysterious bird, and also her daily activities with her friends. It seemed as if the opening pretty much confirmed this as she is marching with her friends in one scene then switches to the characters found within the market.

10. Komosha says:

Gotta thank you for the Tamako market review, I was intrigued and watched the ep. Funny stuff, Tamako and the bird made me laugh, and that last shot at the end gave me hope that this will actually go somewhere, almost ala Steins;Gate or Robotics;Notes, which is definitely a plus in my book.

11. Alec says:

I love Tamako Market. At first, I thought it was just gonna be a good guilty-pleasure slice of life anime, but it’s a pretty darn good slice-of-life anime

12. mistress_kisara says:

I like the first ep. of Tamako Market, I hope there is less focus on the moe schoolgirls :p

13. Litho says:

Gotta admit the bird’s got game, plus a helluva funny name.

14. TheUltimateReaper says:

psgels I’ll take your first impression on Kotoura-san and Tamamako Market and give them a shot. I wasn’t planning to watch Market, and I didn’t even give Kotoura-san a chance either. Both based on their basic descriptions, but I suppose I should at least try the first episodes. No use not watching something good, especially with the scarcity of good shows this season.

• DP says:

I really liked Kotoura-san. The ESP drama in the first half was fun and very different from you usually get. I liked the character designs, especially when put through all that angst. The set up from the second half looks interesting as well.

15. Silty says:

“So yeah: this series can go into two directions: wish fulfillment by showing a cute girl warm up to a typical lazy guy with dirty thoughts (ie, a target demographic often used for anime), or a charming coming of age story for a group of scarred teenagers. Which one will it be?”

Maybe both?

16. yelp says:

Jesus. So you thought Chuunibyou was bad but Tamako Market was good?

I just.. I don’t even…

Shit taste is shit.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Chuunibyou was good, but something more like 7/10. The ending left a lot to be desired, and unlike Hyouka it wasn’t forgivable. psgels has a more mature taste for the most part, but he’s been analyzing for years and for that sole fact I respect his opinion. That being said there are plenty of times I disagree. It’s just nice to get thoughts that aren’t your own every now and then.

• Litho says:

Chuuniwhatever was crap, I couldn’t even finish the first episode.

17. rufe says:

I also love Mochimazzi. Such a great name!

….for Kotoura-san I seriously don’t get why the girl didn’t just shut the **** up. She honestly deserved all of the suffering of her childhood. By the time she’s like 8 she should have figured out that these people aren’t saying these things out loud (I mean…their lips aren’t moving and they’re saying something else at the same time!) and kept her mouth shut. She hasn’t even figured it out by high school?

Obviously her life would be a little different since she knows what everybody is thinking, but she wouldn’t be treated the way she was. If I were the mother I would think such a stupid girl obviously is not fit enough to survive and abandon her for that reason (like a mother rat who eats the children she thinks aren’t going to survive), not because I can’t deal with the stress of raising a special daughter. Honestly a human who has neither intelligence nor social skills has neither of the only two real survival abilities humans have.

On the other hand I loved the reaction when she first reads the male lead’s mind. The wtf is so strong it snaps her out of her depression. Almost Zen.

• chris says:

Really hope you’re joking about abandoning a child like that. Those qualities are also found in children with Asperger’s and autism.

Anyway I agree that her reaction to the male lead was pretty cool. His daydream was hilarious. The series started off ok and actually made my heart ache a bit even if it was super over the top. Sadly the second half of the show was falling into some serious otaku wish fulfillment.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

yeah, the mother in that show FAILED misreably like wtf, yeah I know the kid should have shut up but a kid shutting up is about the fucking hardest thing to ask a kid to do, especially someone who grew up with her esp power. . .being that’s all she knows, and not having the maturity of the viewers. . .that’s why her MOTHER should have stepped in and TOLD her, and WORKED with her to enforce the “shut the hell up about people’s thoughts”

but. . she got over dramatic, bitchy and failed as a parent. . .which is not really so uncommon as people think!

However, If you think about the “Honne” and “Tatemae” culture of the Japanese(which is DEEEEPLY enbedded with ALL Japanese people living and growing up in Japan), then you’d probably find the reaction of the other adults/kids in the story, frighteningly accurate.

Also, grumpy old obasans killing cats when annoying ass kids feed them isn’t uncommon either. . .mostly because cats MAKE A LOT of NOISE when they are hungry, Fight other cats a lot often late at night, so people are actually NOT supposed to feed stray cats in a residential neighboorhood. There are also Lots of cats around neighboorhoods, and can really fuck up the sleep of lots of people living nearby. . .like cats can crone on and on loudly for HOURS!

So yeah, something may seem over the top to those who don’t know much about the setting (because they aren’t the target audience/haven’t lived/don’t know about certain setting/cultural aspects) but it’s really not (except the fail mother, but that’s actually a lot more common than people think.)

18. rufe says:

Of course I wouldn’t abandon a child. I wouldn’t even think of abandoning an animal, much less a human child with my DNA!! (Actually, an interesting question about human psychology to ask at this point is WHY I (and I like to think most other people) would never abandon a child like that. Many other animals except maybe a chimp or bonobo or certain animals that will even continue trying to raise their young after it has died certainly would.)

Also I’m male so I wouldn’t be a mother!

I have interacted with people with Asperger’s and am familiar with their difficulty reading social cues and their obsessions. In this case the situation is different because they have this difficulty and it’s easy feel empathy for their condition. In some sense the titular heroine has the opposite issue since she can literally read minds and knows that her peers are uncomfortable with her behavior.

It’s just hard to sympathize with her past a certain point. Actually, the way I see it she is violating and harming those around her by probing their innermost thoughts and exposing them for everybody around to hear and tearing apart their social groups. That type of child shouldn’t be in school with other children whatever her circumstances.

If you want to get philosophical about it, you could argue that none of this behavior is her “fault”, simply a result of her genetics, brain chemistry, environment, etc., but you would have to apply that same enlightened reasoning to accept the actions the other children and even her parents are taking in self-defense. We are programmed to value and protect our social interactions as part of our basic survival technique and there is no getting out of the fact that her actions are traumatic.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

ugh, You don’t know what you’re talking about. . .really. . .this is why I’m just sick of anime blogs/forums whatever. . just filled with a bunch of dumbasses frothing off at the mouth of shit they have no fucking Idea about. . .wow.

• Scruffy says:

Personally I think what happened to Kotoura is frighteningly accurate. To understand Kotoura as a child you really need to know a bit of the ‘Theory of the Mind’ and how we as individuals view others. Young children initially do not view others as individuals with different knowledge and experiences. They do not realize that what they observe and know is not shared with everyone. This development of the understanding of ‘self’ does take time. She simply did not know that others did not have the same sensory information as her and was puzzled as to why the others were responding in the way they were. Kids do tend to blurt out things and are often exceedingly honest to a fault.

BTW, Aspergers has nothing to do with this. I have an Aspergers son and her behavior was nothing like aspergers. She was just a kid being honest around people who could not hide their inner thoughts.

19. HunterWulf says:

Well, i’m surprised people are surprised that Tamako Market turned out to be good, i mean come one, KyoAni have been improving a lot since K-ON, shows like Hyouka and Chuunibyou clearly demonstrate that they are aiming for something more than just moe girls messing around aimlessly and pretty animation, i know Chuuinbyou gives that impression at first but there a lot more to it once the drama comes into play and characters start growing on you.

So far they haven’t betrayed my confidence in them, i expected Tamako Market to be interesting and they delivered ^_^

20. Tomtom says:

Just watched Tamako Market epi 1 and loved it. This type of show that manages to be funny without trying too much is pretty rare these days.

21. Emil Brinkley says:

I am looking into this now. My blog has always been a big target by scammers and haters who want to take me down. Thanks Lori!

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100