Posted by psgels on 9 January 2013 with categories: Some Quick First Impressions

Kotoura-San

Short Synopsis: Our lead character can read people’s minds.
What they did for this series is that they handed what was actually a pretty cool premise to a bunch of soap opera writers. What I mean by that is that I actually quite like the concept of this series, of a girl who can read minds and how this affects her as a child. What I dislike is that the creators lack any sort of subtlety. Throughout the first half of this episode they do whatever possible to make the life of the female lead a complete hell. Of course, there are children who grow up in horrible environments, but this show, it starts off happily, only to throw one depressing plot twist after the other, to the point at wich it becomes laughable and adults completely overreacting. Nobody in this series has any common sense whatsoever… except for the male lead of course. So yeah: this series can go into two directions: wish fulfillment by showing a cute girl warm up to a typical lazy guy with dirty thoughts (ie, a target demographic often used for anime), or a charming coming of age story for a group of scarred teenagers. Which one will it be?
OP: It’s the way in which this contrasts with the really dark first half that makes it stand out.
ED: Good piano song
Potential: 70%

Tamako Market

Short Synopsis: Our lead character works at a Mochi bakery.
Someone shoot me. Tamako Market had the best first episode of the new season. I did not expect this from what was advertised as the next K-On. But really: to see this as the next K-On would be a grave disservice. You do not watch this series for the cute girls: cute girls are just a part of it. No, you really watch this series for the parrot. I love that animal. Beyond that though, this series also sets itself apart from a lot of other Kyoani series in a very interesting way: its cast is varied. It’s not just about a bunch of teenagers at school having a club. It’s got some teenagers, it’s also about a bakery, it’s got shop owners of all kinds of ages. There was so much going on, and not just random chatter. The characters as well: for once they’re not stereotypes. The lead female is ditzy, but it’s not her only character trait. The chemistry between the characters is also really good: no character is trying too hard to be annoying, which is a thing that really got on my nerves with K-On and Lucky Star.
OP: Mostly stands out through its animation.
ED: This is quite good: great visuals and nice song.
Potential: 85%

GJ Bu

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a random high school student.
So, GJ Bu is a show of the genre “bunch of teenagers hang out at school and do random stuff”. It’s a genre that I know is not for me by far. I can only enjoy these kinds of series when there is something else going on beyond just the random sketches… but GJ Bu doesn’t have that. It tries to be funny… but isn’t. It’s just various situations with sterotypical characters who try to be cute/charming/quirky. It also doesn’t help that most of the jokes are focused on stereotypes: the rich girl is rich, so she doesn’t know what instand noodles are. The catgirl eats a lot, so she eats a lot. The calm girl is calm so she isn’t afraid of anything. That kind of dull stuff. It all feels so forced, dull and uninspired, and this just isn’t my type of series.
OP: Some idols got their first singing job or someting…
ED: Generic J-Pop, cheesy visuals.
Potential: 10%

1. Airies says:

ooooooooooouch! bitchy op commment ;)

2. hal says:

I was also positively surprised by Tamako Market. I thought as well, that it would be a 2nd K-on (I didn’t dislike K-on, actually, it was alright.) The parrot was cool, the heroine likable. And the secondary characters as well. I also liked that guy who has a crush on Tamako. Reminds me a bit of Fujioka from Minami-ke. And what I like the most is, that there are actually guys and older people in the cast. I hate it, when shows are all-girls in highschool.
    I think I’m going to like this show.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Hal:You didn’t like Azumanga daioh then? =O

• Litho says:

Unlike K-On, Azumanga Daioh was funny.

K-On was just an insult to guitarists. You work hard all your school life to buy a cheap used Yamaha, and some annoying highschool moe-blob who can’t even play goes out and buys a Les Paul. Fuck that shit!!

• Frost says:

Agree, even though I just skimmed through, not only that but she gets a guitar and like 3 months later she is freaking Joe Satriani soloing on that thing LMAO

Insulting indeed

• hal says:

No, Azumanga Daioh was funny. The problem I have with those “all girls” shows are, that they’re completely unrealistic. Azumanga never wanted to be realistic, so that’s ok. But most of those “cute girls doing cute things” at least set out to have a bit of realism.
        I hate that glorification of cute, single, virgin girls, just to please fat creepy otaku, in anime nowadays.

3. Frost says:

Oh boy, when I saw the pic for Tamako Market I was like “oh fuck me sideways, not another moeblob trainwreck”, but reading your review Ill give it a try anyway, though I didnt like K-on or anything that came after (Hyouka was fine I guess)

What a sad season… Probably the worst of the decade

4. Entrav says:

Tamako Market is definitely interesting enough for me to keep watching it. It had some nice bits of humor and wasn’t overly permeated with moe. The ending bit is quite intriguing as well.

5. boa_sting says:

>> moeblob throws a twirly rod thing in the air and it bonks her on the head

Could’ve sworn KyoAni did that last season too…

6. Cytl says:

Good to see Tamako market wasn’t a disappointment: the bird is great and the girl wasn’t annoying as I thought because of the OP. The cast is also quite colorful (we even have what most likely is a crossdresser).

7. someloser says:

feels child oriented, which isn’t a bad thing considering it might work for what it’s trying to achieve. the bird felt like a lower tier tonnura-san which could actually work. so much autism though, and kyoani needs to seriously stop with the sameface.

8. Rachnid says:

I feel kinda alone on this, I didn’t like the bird at all, feels too forced. I’m thinking he’s gonna fade out a little into the background and the other characters will get their chance to shine, that will be when I’ll start liking this show.

9. Censor this! says:

Tamako Market was great! I’m excited about the direction this series will take. The previews seemed to focus on Tamako’s high school life and friends, but this episode actually didn’t do that. I love how varied the cast is, and I’m curious about the construction of this series. It seems as if it will be focusing on two aspects of the heroines life; that with her running the mochi shop and the mysterious bird, and also her daily activities with her friends. It seemed as if the opening pretty much confirmed this as she is marching with her friends in one scene then switches to the characters found within the market.

10. Komosha says:

Gotta thank you for the Tamako market review, I was intrigued and watched the ep. Funny stuff, Tamako and the bird made me laugh, and that last shot at the end gave me hope that this will actually go somewhere, almost ala Steins;Gate or Robotics;Notes, which is definitely a plus in my book.

11. Alec says:

I love Tamako Market. At first, I thought it was just gonna be a good guilty-pleasure slice of life anime, but it’s a pretty darn good slice-of-life anime

12. mistress_kisara says:

I like the first ep. of Tamako Market, I hope there is less focus on the moe schoolgirls :p

13. Litho says:

Gotta admit the bird’s got game, plus a helluva funny name.

14. TheUltimateReaper says:

psgels I’ll take your first impression on Kotoura-san and Tamamako Market and give them a shot. I wasn’t planning to watch Market, and I didn’t even give Kotoura-san a chance either. Both based on their basic descriptions, but I suppose I should at least try the first episodes. No use not watching something good, especially with the scarcity of good shows this season.

• DP says:

I really liked Kotoura-san. The ESP drama in the first half was fun and very different from you usually get. I liked the character designs, especially when put through all that angst. The set up from the second half looks interesting as well.

15. Silty says:

“So yeah: this series can go into two directions: wish fulfillment by showing a cute girl warm up to a typical lazy guy with dirty thoughts (ie, a target demographic often used for anime), or a charming coming of age story for a group of scarred teenagers. Which one will it be?”

Maybe both?

16. yelp says:

Jesus. So you thought Chuunibyou was bad but Tamako Market was good?

I just.. I don’t even…

Shit taste is shit.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Chuunibyou was good, but something more like 7/10. The ending left a lot to be desired, and unlike Hyouka it wasn’t forgivable. psgels has a more mature taste for the most part, but he’s been analyzing for years and for that sole fact I respect his opinion. That being said there are plenty of times I disagree. It’s just nice to get thoughts that aren’t your own every now and then.

• Litho says:

Chuuniwhatever was crap, I couldn’t even finish the first episode.

17. rufe says:

I also love Mochimazzi. Such a great name!

….for Kotoura-san I seriously don’t get why the girl didn’t just shut the **** up. She honestly deserved all of the suffering of her childhood. By the time she’s like 8 she should have figured out that these people aren’t saying these things out loud (I mean…their lips aren’t moving and they’re saying something else at the same time!) and kept her mouth shut. She hasn’t even figured it out by high school?

Obviously her life would be a little different since she knows what everybody is thinking, but she wouldn’t be treated the way she was. If I were the mother I would think such a stupid girl obviously is not fit enough to survive and abandon her for that reason (like a mother rat who eats the children she thinks aren’t going to survive), not because I can’t deal with the stress of raising a special daughter. Honestly a human who has neither intelligence nor social skills has neither of the only two real survival abilities humans have.

On the other hand I loved the reaction when she first reads the male lead’s mind. The wtf is so strong it snaps her out of her depression. Almost Zen.

• chris says:

Really hope you’re joking about abandoning a child like that. Those qualities are also found in children with Asperger’s and autism.

Anyway I agree that her reaction to the male lead was pretty cool. His daydream was hilarious. The series started off ok and actually made my heart ache a bit even if it was super over the top. Sadly the second half of the show was falling into some serious otaku wish fulfillment.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

yeah, the mother in that show FAILED misreably like wtf, yeah I know the kid should have shut up but a kid shutting up is about the fucking hardest thing to ask a kid to do, especially someone who grew up with her esp power. . .being that’s all she knows, and not having the maturity of the viewers. . .that’s why her MOTHER should have stepped in and TOLD her, and WORKED with her to enforce the “shut the hell up about people’s thoughts”

but. . she got over dramatic, bitchy and failed as a parent. . .which is not really so uncommon as people think!

However, If you think about the “Honne” and “Tatemae” culture of the Japanese(which is DEEEEPLY enbedded with ALL Japanese people living and growing up in Japan), then you’d probably find the reaction of the other adults/kids in the story, frighteningly accurate.

Also, grumpy old obasans killing cats when annoying ass kids feed them isn’t uncommon either. . .mostly because cats MAKE A LOT of NOISE when they are hungry, Fight other cats a lot often late at night, so people are actually NOT supposed to feed stray cats in a residential neighboorhood. There are also Lots of cats around neighboorhoods, and can really fuck up the sleep of lots of people living nearby. . .like cats can crone on and on loudly for HOURS!

So yeah, something may seem over the top to those who don’t know much about the setting (because they aren’t the target audience/haven’t lived/don’t know about certain setting/cultural aspects) but it’s really not (except the fail mother, but that’s actually a lot more common than people think.)

18. rufe says:

Of course I wouldn’t abandon a child. I wouldn’t even think of abandoning an animal, much less a human child with my DNA!! (Actually, an interesting question about human psychology to ask at this point is WHY I (and I like to think most other people) would never abandon a child like that. Many other animals except maybe a chimp or bonobo or certain animals that will even continue trying to raise their young after it has died certainly would.)

Also I’m male so I wouldn’t be a mother!

I have interacted with people with Asperger’s and am familiar with their difficulty reading social cues and their obsessions. In this case the situation is different because they have this difficulty and it’s easy feel empathy for their condition. In some sense the titular heroine has the opposite issue since she can literally read minds and knows that her peers are uncomfortable with her behavior.

It’s just hard to sympathize with her past a certain point. Actually, the way I see it she is violating and harming those around her by probing their innermost thoughts and exposing them for everybody around to hear and tearing apart their social groups. That type of child shouldn’t be in school with other children whatever her circumstances.

If you want to get philosophical about it, you could argue that none of this behavior is her “fault”, simply a result of her genetics, brain chemistry, environment, etc., but you would have to apply that same enlightened reasoning to accept the actions the other children and even her parents are taking in self-defense. We are programmed to value and protect our social interactions as part of our basic survival technique and there is no getting out of the fact that her actions are traumatic.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

ugh, You don’t know what you’re talking about. . .really. . .this is why I’m just sick of anime blogs/forums whatever. . just filled with a bunch of dumbasses frothing off at the mouth of shit they have no fucking Idea about. . .wow.

• Scruffy says:

Personally I think what happened to Kotoura is frighteningly accurate. To understand Kotoura as a child you really need to know a bit of the ‘Theory of the Mind’ and how we as individuals view others. Young children initially do not view others as individuals with different knowledge and experiences. They do not realize that what they observe and know is not shared with everyone. This development of the understanding of ‘self’ does take time. She simply did not know that others did not have the same sensory information as her and was puzzled as to why the others were responding in the way they were. Kids do tend to blurt out things and are often exceedingly honest to a fault.

BTW, Aspergers has nothing to do with this. I have an Aspergers son and her behavior was nothing like aspergers. She was just a kid being honest around people who could not hide their inner thoughts.

19. HunterWulf says:

Well, i’m surprised people are surprised that Tamako Market turned out to be good, i mean come one, KyoAni have been improving a lot since K-ON, shows like Hyouka and Chuunibyou clearly demonstrate that they are aiming for something more than just moe girls messing around aimlessly and pretty animation, i know Chuuinbyou gives that impression at first but there a lot more to it once the drama comes into play and characters start growing on you.

So far they haven’t betrayed my confidence in them, i expected Tamako Market to be interesting and they delivered ^_^

20. Tomtom says:

Just watched Tamako Market epi 1 and loved it. This type of show that manages to be funny without trying too much is pretty rare these days.

21. Emil Brinkley says:

I am looking into this now. My blog has always been a big target by scammers and haters who want to take me down. Thanks Lori!

I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up
I dont think "enjoyed" is the right word for this kind of show, but I do know im going to finish it.

Also, can the milk be chocolate?
@Lenlo: That's true, but I also feel like everyone here needs some milk. And I've been reading the Scum's Wish manga and can't decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime.
Scums Wish, 4 episodes in, has been the perfect little dose of depression I crave from each anime season.
I have to say, its a pretty fun break from super srs anime discussion sometimes
There's so much sass in this chatbox sometimes I can't even. :.D
Also please note that if data gathering results do not support your hypothesis that there will be no refunds
I will have you know my data gathering services are quite expensive and I don't operate until paid.
Aidan is providing the data for us.
You do know that for the scientific method, you make a hypothesis and then you run experiments to produce data to prove or disprove said hypothesis. It cant just sit in limbo and then you go "I was right". You have to provide data at some point. At this point, you have yet to provide any data to support what you say.
Sir Robin
You seem to have never heard of the scientific method then Aidan. You don't need proof before you formulate an hypothesis. Fortunately this most recent development of you being wrong supports it.
I am sure Sir Robin would be delighted to hear this but I think I was wrong in my assessment of SukaSuka(Shūmatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?) That insert song at the begining of the episode was masterful and a number of things have changed my mind about it. It may be more interesting than I first expected. First novel was still pretty boring though.
Should have another impressions post up today. As for what I am covering that's Little Witch Academia, Attack on Titan and Sekaisuru Kado.
At least we never have to fight tooth and nail to cover something as what we want to cover never clashes.
Which mean 2 PA Works, 2 original shows and 3 slice-of-life shows. Well done Mario for being predictable and consistently boring as ever

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)- 28[Southwestward]

It’s more than a little frustrating when you have a character present who has answers to very important questions, yet refuses to speak up for rather contrived reasons. Though we don’t quite know why the priest doesn’t speak up I can’t really think of anything that would possibly be preventing him from doing so. This […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 02[Novo]

This episode answers the question of just what was happening to the plane survivors during the period the government were trying to break into the cube. The answer seems to be that they were interacting with an alien lightform. This episode does feel like the series is still in its introduction stage and likely the […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100