Posted by psgels on 23 January 2013 with categories: From the New World

This was a very interesting episode. The thing is, that it’s clear that it had hardly any budget, yet it did have a couple of very talented animators and artists. This episode threw away a lot of conventions, looked inconsistent, spent its first half on recycled footage, and yet looked really gorgeous.

The new footage showed the cast when they were young children, which contrasted really well with what they went through later. And then came that incredibly weird dream that Saki had afterwards. I can only imagine the symbolism that was in there for the final half of this series, but the thing that caught my attention the most was how it stated that it was no use to bring Mamoru and Maria back. That they were better off dying. I mean, dreams in anime are always with a purpose. What was that dream trying to tell her?

I really liked Maria’s letter and how it was written. But really: the writing in this entire episode was just excellent, how it was entirely focused on Saki’s worries about the loss of her friends; it really went in-depth there. Saki and Satoru, they have lost three really good friends now, and they’re pretty much alone at this point. This episode wasn’t really clear whether or not they will return to the village, or also run away. Either way, it’s going to be really tough for them.
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Oroboros says:

This show just keeps getting better week by week, story-wise and character wise. But the end should indicate that neither Saki nor Satoru ran away, cuz it starts 10 years later.

2. Airies says:

best episode of the decade.

3. Kaiserin Emma says:

That whole dream sequence was wonderfully haunting, creepy and surreal in the best way it could be.

4. Andmeuths says:

I wonder whether the lack of budget is due to the abysmal pre-orders. Why isn’t there a market for these works of genius?

• reverse says:

Seriously animation budget had nothing to do with pre-orders number, that just not right. just look at EVA tv, TTGL both had mediocre budget yet high number of sale. and compare that to Dennō Coil and Escaflowne*(if i got fact right Escaflowne got it success in oversea)

the only budget got increase if had high number sale is the advertising

I thought this episode is ok, and it even had an animated background sequence which pretty awesome in my book, which u rarely see nowadays. however i do hate the recap part, but this nothing compare to the real recap episode, and yet i never see people bitching on it about budget

5. MCAL says:

Excellent episode as always. I guess the Japanese people don’t like their anime dark and intellectual. Psycho Pass isn’t doing so well too. (I mean over 5000 volumes is great, but not nearly as good as most other shows.) And didn’t you find the opening/insert song very jarring Psgels? And you’re usually one who likes to comment about those kinds of things too?

• Kaiserin Emma says:

New world is a fairly atypical show in my opinion, as is psycho pass, alot of people tend to flock to the familiar to them so a lot of more simplistic/straightforward and/or maybe quieter series will get more attention in terms of sales or viewership.
      Its certainly not my preferred type of show as I go for slice of life, drama and shoujo fantasy mainly though.

6. Highfinder Highfinder says:

Don’t get carried away guys. This show is good, I admit. But is not that good.
    If I had to state as to why it would be this shows problem of tell, don’t show. Notice how it tends to be a journey of saki finding the next exposition device. The false minoshiro, the queerat, karma demon shun, the grandma, Mamoru, the queerat and now a letter. Most annoyingly the revelations the letter and Mamoru gave us would have been better shown to us earlier rather than wait for the characters to explain them. Really what was stopping them from showing Mamoru getting stalked by copycats before he ran off? Why are we only now seeing scenes showing the friendship between Saki and Maria?
    I also say that in all honesty that the past of the show would make a better anime than the show itself. Starting off the anime right at the fall of civilization and showing how things slowly became this way would be far more interesting than Saki finding someone to tell us about it.
    I can’t say the characters are strong either. For the most part I know pretty much nothing about them.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Highfinder:Oh Don’t get me wrong, I do think this show has its shining moments but it also turns me away more often with the info dumping and plot flow and weak animation. I also agree with you that a more expansive past arc would be interesting.
      That said I do find plenty to enjoy here with whats on offer.

• Airies says:

DISAGREE! This show is genius and breaks the current trend! um also we always new maria and saki had a close relationship!

• Taara535 says:

@Highfinder – I think you are highly underestimating the fascinating medium that memory is. What makes From the New World so interesting is that the audience is constantly trying to fill in the blanks of how we got from here to there. Not to mention, we are trying to do so through a narrator who has a very strong views on her society given what she has gone through (which we don’t know yet!!). Because of the various perspectives in the show, we are constantly having to guess at the meanings of many different things that happen in the show. This is far more interesting than just a straight telling a story, with an all-knowing, all-present, neutral narrator.

I am also surprised you just see other aspects of the story as just a plot device for the main arc. You seem to not be interested in any of the side plots at all here. How did the queer-rats come to be? What are the different villages like? We are told they have different methods of control, what are they? What about the different factions of the queer-rats? How did the scientists engineer society? What did they do to the “human” genome? What is the meaning of Shun showing up Saki’s dream?

Meaning of these questions have far more impact than how Saki relates to them. The side-plots are interesting in themselves, and if you don’t pay attention to them, then I think you are missing out on a great part of the story and this wonderful anime.

• Taara535 says:

*Many of these questions..

• Kaiserin Emma says:

The thing now however is will this all fit into 26 episodes and answer said questions Taara.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

Taara, you seem to be mistaking this kind of show for another kind. Namely you feel that this show is a solvable mystery style of show. Examples of such would be Higurashi which gave the viewer hints to it’s mystery and allowed for a great deal of speculation. From the new world is not this kind of story. There is no way to speculate seeing from the information we are fed. The setting is too alien to speculate theories. We know relatively nothing about how these people work, learn or even the nature of society. What do the adults do for example? We have no foundation whatsoever to built theories. As for your questions

How did the queer-rats come to be?

What are the different villages like?
        Does it matter? Chances are we shall never learn as it’s is not relevant.

We are told they have different methods of control, what are they?
        Doesn’t matter.

What about the different factions of the queer-rats?
        What about them?

How did the scientists engineer society?
        With science.

What did they do to the “human” genome?
        How could we ever guess that? Either way I highly doubt this could be satisfactorily explained.

What is the meaning of Shun showing up Saki’s dream?
        Trauma. Repressed memories.

• Taara535 says:

Wow Highfinder, you are just not interested in these aspects at all are you?

Part of the fun is considering theories, not all questions have to have answers.

“How did the queer-rats come to be?
          It’s god knows how many years in the future, chances are they are a product of evolution.”

I have a feeling they are much more interlinked to the story of how this society came to be then you think.

“What are the different villages like?
          Does it matter? Chances are we shall never learn as it’s is not relevant.”

It’s not relevant?!? What was just put forth in the episode was an argument – an argument by Maria that the society they live in is not worth saving. This is a very important moral question in this constructed universe – at what point is more suffering and pain caused by continuing this sort of PK human society? Maria says they have reached that point; Saki (I believe) will say they have not. How other villages are run has a direct impact on how we morally justify whether these PK villages are actually worth their own existence. This is a major premise of the show.

“We are told they have different methods of control, what are they?
          Doesn’t matter.”

See previous answer

“How did the scientists engineer society?
          With science.”

If the scientists used ethically terrible means to engineer the society, then it further impacts how we morally answer the existence of these PK villages. Again, “with science” is a freaking cop-out to a very important question in the series.

In conclusion, while I would love the series to answer these questions, even if it does not that does not make these questions irrelevant. By simply posing these questions, the series asks us to consider important ethical questions in our own society. We are never going to be able to answer important philosophical/theological questions like “how can evil exist in a world with a Christian God?” or “what is truth?” or “What is an ethical society?” But, that doesn’t mean we should ask those questions!

• Taara535 says:

Lastly, I do not see this show as a solvable mystery show. Let’s be honest, this show is not going to leave us with clear answers. What I do see this show as is a very thoughtful/intellectual take on civilizations in precipitous decline and a fundamental questioning going to literally the point of human existence. In short, this show is a philosophical tragedy.

Can any show answer these questions (of course not), but I will continually praise this show for actually posing these questions and in a very thoughtful, creative manner.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

I don’t like wasting my time on pointless ventures. I simply don’t find those aspects interesting enough to care about.

Well, it’s also highly possible that they are a product of a karma demons cantos going out of control.

As I said. Not relevant. Our guide is Saki. Therefore our only example is Saki’s village. We cannot make judgements unless we see these other villages. However considering the nature of the show the other control methods are likely to be worse or bad in another sense. The nature of whether their lives are worth saving or not is really an issue. Human society has never been perfect. People have always been under a certain degree of control. PK has caused that control to tighten mostly because of fear. In my opinion this is merely a trail and error stage which is to find a system that can help give PK users a degree of freedom while stopping fiends and karma demons. I don’t give this much thought because I find the methods done so far to be highly questionable. I mean these methods are rather…stupid for lack of a better word. Particularly the Bonboros treatment.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When you got teenagers ripping people apart, raping and you can’t do anything about it that is not the time to play the morals card. Regardless of the method used the reason for it’s use is probably justified.

I don’t consider this questions all that important myself. I would find it more intriguing if instead of posing these questions it instead used them within the narrative. You can’t just give something credit for posing ideas. Anyone an have ideas. It’s how those ideas are used is what matters.
            As for those questions. Evil exists because of humans. We are both evil and good and capable of both. We have the free will to choose to be either. I believe that’s what god intended despite what the bible says. Otherwise he would have just eliminated evil altogether but well then life wouldn’t be interesting. Truth is truth. Plain and simple. It’s the plain truth without deception. Ethical society doesn’t exist and shouldn’t exist. It’s like world peace. The idea seems nice but that’s because you don’t think of the consequences.

Maybe that’s why I don’t find that interesting. I already figured out my own theories on those matters and so far they pan out. Therefore I don’t bother wondering about them anymore.

• Mass says:

If you actually pay attention, you can figure out quite a bit about the things they haven’t explicitly told us. For example:

“Which society are we the descendents of?” ask the kids to the synthetic minoshiro, regarding whether they are the descendants of the technological society or not. The answer: They are probably the descendents of the Holy Cherry Blossom dynasty, the slave dynasty we saw at the beginning of early episodes. How do I know this? Well, in some of their important buildings, you see the Holy Cherry Blossom dynasty’s pink flower symbol.

What are the different villages like?
          Well, we see the one Tomiko was in a couple hundred years ago. That place looked very European for whatever reason.

What is the meaning of Shun showing up in Saki’s dream?
          I’m not sure you can jump to conclusions about that yet. I suspect that the dream prediction that Maria has to die has some truth to it, but I’m not sure why or how it will manifest.

The thing is, you’re the one confusing this kind of show with another.

See, caring about the characters and setting and background of the world is essentially where the main thrust of the anime is. You may think the set ups and explanations are really just a vehicle for what happens which is how most other shows operate, but I don’t think they are. They’re not really just mumbo jumbo technobabble to make everything sound complex and not so implausible; they’re legitimate series of events and premises that build an actual setting. They’re what everything is about.

See, this show works a little the opposite from a lot of others. Rather than SAO (just using it as an example. No real reason other than that to pick it specifically), where the whole set up of getting stuck in the game and having the headgear kill you if you try to leave serves to make the plot happen: the story is really about the characters kicking ass in sword battles and the interpersonal drama (or so I’ve detected. I only watched 3 episodes of SAO). In From the New World, however, the fact that things are set up the way they are, the things that the events and set ups imply about the way the universe is fundamentally structured is the point of the show. That it is possible for that ‘alien setting’ to happen, and the consequences of such is the important part.

Basically, it’s the difference between science fiction and space opera. In space opera (here I’m using the term for a lot of this ‘lighter’ scifi), the technology or physics or explanations serve primarily to allow what the author wants to have happen to happen. This can be done well or poorly. IMO Legend of the Galactic Heroes is amazing. It doesn’t really have much in terms of scifi concepts or deep explanations as to the nature of things, but the character and political interactions are extremely rich and deep. SAO on the other hand to me was just one asspull after another.

In science fiction, the fact that the Alien Settings are true is what it’s about. It asks “What would happen if X were true?” and (hopefully) casts rich characters and narrative from the logical conclusions of the premises. From the New World is clearly this type of thing, rather than the other.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

“See, caring about the characters and setting and background of the world is essentially where the main thrust of the anime is.”

Then there it is failing to me. I need the reason to care about these things. When I jump into a show I am automatically intrigued and want to know what happens. However it’s the shows job to make it that I stay that way. Tell me, why should I care about Saki? I know absolutely nothing about her. I get that she seems to have a good head on her shoulders as she deals with stress and trauma well. But that’s pretty much the same as our main girl from Psycho pass who’s pass doesn’t get clouded no matter what. In fact she sort of reminds me of Madoka. She acts as an observer for the viewer. A bundle of vague traits and reactions we would expect for a typical human being. She’s relatable but not necessarily memorable. Same could be said for our other characters. Shun – cantos genius and dependable. Pretty much all I know about him. Maria – can levitate and likes Mamoru and Saki. Pretty much all I know about her.
            If I can’t care about the characters then that makes it difficult to care about the setting. Even more so if the information is presented in a manner of exposition devices instead of using visuals to convey it. Infodumping is not a good writing technique. It’s a useful one at times but in general it should be used sparingly.

• Joe says:

I agree that the presentation of the show is a bit lacking in some ways, but it’s quite good in terms of the art style and cinematography, in my opinion. The content of the story is also interesting enough that I don’t mind the flaws in presentation. This show might not be a masterpiece, but it is very good.

• Anna says:

I must say that I agree with Taara.

Also, i just wanted to comment on something you said:
      “Ethical society doesn’t exist and shouldn’t exist. It’s like world peace. The idea seems nice but that’s because you don’t think of the consequences.”

I think that what you’re trying to get at here is that if we had a perfectly ethical society, it may be “too perfect” and end up being a dystopia rather than a utopia. In addition, the meaning of ethical is really subjective so there is no way that we would ever be able to satisfy everyone’s idea of being ethical in order to achieve a ‘perfect society’ in the first place. I agree with that.

But, what you’re ALSO saying is that society shouldn’t really care about trying to be ethical in the first place because ‘being perfectly ethical’ doesn’t exist. In my opinion, that’s just a cop-out. If we just gave up on trying to be ethical “because it doesn’t exist” and let everyone do whatever they wanted, our society would just fall to pieces. For example, criminals would just commit crimes without fear of consequences. Therefore we should always strive to ask ourselves questions like: are we doing the right thing? How should we organize our society in a fair and just manner? What is the ethical amount of control we should exercise over our citizens?

So my main point is really that just because we can’t ever reach a ‘perfectly ethical society,’ this doesn’t mean we should just give up on trying to do the right thing.

By the way, If I’m misunderstanding you in some way, I apologize.

7. Litho says:

I get where you’re coming from, Highlander. Sometimes get that impression as well. But still, the presentation is decent enough (the uneven animation/character styles notwithstanding). Besides, we can’t really blame the studio for that, since it seems (according to what I’ve read) to follow the original source material closely, though personally I get the feeling it’s been watered down a touch.

8. Airies says:

I think the way it has presented all its points is original and it has worked very well. Also can we just take a minute to clap for those kids in that choir singing “aaaaaaaaaah aaaah aaaaaah aaaaaaaaaaaaah aaaah aaahaaaahaaah”

9. Arno says:

Why are the Japanese not buying it ?

Well, probably like others in the world, they work hard and they watch fiction for entertainment.

They expect shining animation, positive or lovable characters, plots with twists and comedy.

Here it’s just semi-developed characters, either dying or brooding in front of gloomy landscapes. And a lot of maho-maho-shmaho.

• Taara535 says:

Yeah, Saki isn’t that developed. It’s not like anything has happened to her and we haven’t seen her change at all throughout her life. Jeez, all she is doing is just emo-brooding. I wonder what she is so sad about? She should just be more moe so the tired workers can come home and be happy./

I see your point, but I fundamentally disagree. The best entertainment has sought to challenge the audience rather than pander to them. The hundreds of moeblob shows will be forgotten, but shows that challenge the audience should be remembered as important works.

There is a reason why Ghost in the Shell will be re-watched in 10 years and K-On! will be ignored.

10. boa_sting says:

A large budget isn’t what’s necessary to tell a story, usually. Or even what’s necessary to look good. Sometimes low-budget tricks, stills, etc. can have more impact that some kind of fluid animation, not to mention 3D / CG / postprocessing overload (K lens flares?).

Pacing, direction, and cinematography were good, at least in my opinion. I wouldn’t call it a masterwork episode, but it was pretty solid and closed this arc well. The plot mostly wrote itself this episode, and not too much actually happened there, but that’s not a problem and not the point.

@Niello: just caught up with Darling, I think this last episode was a blast. Interesting framing (wonder who was the episode director) and for me overall rich world-building. The characters are still miss or hit for me thou
Tomorrow’s jow
Niello
@KTravlos My experience with Terror too.
The Terror ended weak for me. A great show up to episode 7 and parts of 8, 9 and 10 just went down the path of gore fest. It will work for many, but it soured for me the excellent first 8 ones.
Niello
And that's it for Franxx, an entire episode dedicated to lame world building. Expecting it to be mediocre was correct.
Well, Mikio's gear was upgrading to V5 we saw, so it may not be as easy as we think. That said, I just want Gear to be relevant. It really feels like just a gimmick to me so far and Mikio could maybe change that, since his is so important
Oh and I got two card drops, both of which were Shanas.
@Amagi, I still need to grind up the damage points. I am close and planning to get it before Rider day ends. But Banana Oni is the hardest challege this game has ever given. And fighting her is always a gamble.
Yeah it was a good move. Really want to see how Mikio will fight without the advantage he had till now.
This weeks episode of megalobox gave an added importance to him being gearless .
Now that I got the 300mio damage in FGO I finally get card drops that I don't need anymore
@Masky, I believe I told you to watch Fate/Zero and apologize.
@AidanAK47 three days ago: Harsh words :D
I do echo the frustration though with shows you like not getting enough episodes. And then there are of course shows where I wonder, did they really need so many episodes/seasons.
You an always watch the old 160 episode ova of Legend of Galactic Heroes. Differences to date are minor
@Anon: Follow up films coming though.
Galactic Heroes, is starting to grow on me, is a shame, that's only 12 episodes so much potential being wasted. What happened to those times when long animes, could have at least 50 episodes ( Gundam Seed, Code Geass) and still be viable. feeling hopeless
@Mario: A female director you could also look into is Moufida Tlatli , especially silences of the palace.
@Mario: On golden kamuy, from reading on in the manga, there will be a big reveal regarding Asirpa soon. Also I feel the prisoner guys are becoming monster of the week.
@Mario: I'm glad to be reviewing stuff again on letterboxd.
@Mario: ....I...actually momentarily forgot about the PM system.
@Mario: Watch Bombshell, secrets of a hollywood star or calling hedy lamarr, Bombshell is a recent documentary about Lamarr.
@Mario: Von Triers new film looks darkly funny though to a degree and I love the self-indulgent first per3son narration.
@Mario: I have no idea how Stellan Skarsgard (who works alot with Von trier) produced Alexander Skarsgard, the latter is far too attractive to come from that. I feel the same about Asia Argento, I refuse to believe Dario could have produced such a fine creature.
@Mario: I'm rarely about morals or understanding as an importance when it comes to film, I care most about how it hits me on a visceral/emotional level, how daring it is in its imagination, visuals, madness , creativity.
@Kaiser: thanks, received it. God, Von Triers new film is entirely something else. Full-on provocation. And I already think his Nymphomaniac was too much
@Mario: Also I'm dying to see Von Trier and Chang-dongs new films, especially the priors.
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
That said, the key drama scenes were still great. Okabe's VA continues to make me happy. Im just not sure how much of this is nostalgia.
Steins;Gate is at its best in moments of character drama and character interaction. All of its value lies in its characters. Any action, with this muted style, is going to come off stiff and dull. A con of the art-style decision.
@Lenlo: I'm glad you said that, because I felt visually it looked stiff this week and that brief scene in the beginning wasn't much to look at. But Okabes meeting with Baldyguy-san and the cliffhanger and after credits bit were good scenes.
So yeah, this was probably the weakest week of Steins;Gate so far. Its pretty clear its not an action series and that its style doesnt suit itself well to combat scenes
... watching and reading many shounen titles (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Bleach and the likes), shounen isn't my cup of tea at all
While I grow up
@Anon, I love Shounen. BnHA is one of my favorites every season its on. Doesnt mean I like Black Clover though
Thank you for that anon, when I watched the episode earlier I wasn't aware there was a post credits scene.
oh well, we still are early on in S;G 0 too. Plus, there seems to be a huge development at the end of the episode
idk, i can't help but feel that besides the amadeus plotline, everything else feels "fillery"
I must say though that I'm still waiting for it to get good, idk maybe my expectations are too high because the original was great after the first few episodes
Don't forget to watch end credits fo Steins Gate 0
I like some shonen. I just think that they are popular enough as not to be worth reviewing ihmo.
@Anon2140150 - I do. Though Shounen do have the issue of being derivative in certain aspects like power scales and several doing the FMA Brotherhood climax (of what I've watched). Also they're made to be endless. It can be intimidating jumping to one that has several seasons.
Does everyone here don't like shonen anime?
Really, if there is one piece of information (aside from otome maybe) that makes me ignore a series forever it's a LN about a LN author or illustrator. The selfinert wish fulfillment couldn't be more obvious.
Another LN greenlit for an anime production and the synopsis starts with "* is a light novel illustrator and..".
@KTravlos: I don't know why modern anime hate curly- and/or wild hair so much. The old hair style gave Reinhard a more royal look, whereas he looks like a normal highschool boy now. Not that I am complaining about the anime as a whole. Also, I like some of the new designs.
and a part of me things it is indeed the hair. It comes to low, giving Reinhard a slovenly, lazy feel. When Yang feels more energetic you know there was a mistake.
and yes, this Reinhard fares poorly in comparison to the OVA one. He is dull. I need more Yang :p
ai vay vay. The Castrop Rebellion remains waste of time. And this time it was worse. The older depiction was tacky but at least it showed Kircheis ability in a logical manner. This time I had no idea what the hell happened. It felt cheap.

The rest of the episode was ok. Not completely sold on all the renditions of imp. admirals though I still love the uniforms.
*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.

Steins;Gate 0 – 7 [Eclipse of Vibronic Transition -Vibronic Transition-]

Oh boy, Steins;Gate 0 was definitely a thing this week, whatever that means. This time we have clashing styles, interesting plot twists and one hell of a cliffhanger. Lets jump in! To start off, lets get the obvious out of the way. Steins;Gate 0 is not an action series and it shows. The opening “combat” […]

Golden Kamuy – 07 [Complication]

This week ties up one plot thread that is Nihei and Tanigaki and their quest for hunting down the wise wolf and overall it does a decent job at that. Continuing from where the last episode left of, this final confrontation works for me because everyone has a moment to shine. Sugimoto proves that he […]

Hisone to Masotan – 06 [I’ll Shout Your Name]

At one point during this episode I almost felt that Hoshino was just too overboard. Being stubborn is one thing, but when you’re too stubborn you outright hurt others’ feeling without backing down, it’s irritating to watch. The issue with Hoshino, as we come to learn during the flashback, is that piloting an F2 has […]

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]