Posted by psgels on 23 January 2013 with categories: From the New World

This was a very interesting episode. The thing is, that it’s clear that it had hardly any budget, yet it did have a couple of very talented animators and artists. This episode threw away a lot of conventions, looked inconsistent, spent its first half on recycled footage, and yet looked really gorgeous.

The new footage showed the cast when they were young children, which contrasted really well with what they went through later. And then came that incredibly weird dream that Saki had afterwards. I can only imagine the symbolism that was in there for the final half of this series, but the thing that caught my attention the most was how it stated that it was no use to bring Mamoru and Maria back. That they were better off dying. I mean, dreams in anime are always with a purpose. What was that dream trying to tell her?

I really liked Maria’s letter and how it was written. But really: the writing in this entire episode was just excellent, how it was entirely focused on Saki’s worries about the loss of her friends; it really went in-depth there. Saki and Satoru, they have lost three really good friends now, and they’re pretty much alone at this point. This episode wasn’t really clear whether or not they will return to the village, or also run away. Either way, it’s going to be really tough for them.
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Oroboros says:

This show just keeps getting better week by week, story-wise and character wise. But the end should indicate that neither Saki nor Satoru ran away, cuz it starts 10 years later.

2. Airies says:

best episode of the decade.

3. Kaiserin Emma says:

That whole dream sequence was wonderfully haunting, creepy and surreal in the best way it could be.

4. Andmeuths says:

I wonder whether the lack of budget is due to the abysmal pre-orders. Why isn’t there a market for these works of genius?

• reverse says:

Seriously animation budget had nothing to do with pre-orders number, that just not right. just look at EVA tv, TTGL both had mediocre budget yet high number of sale. and compare that to Dennō Coil and Escaflowne*(if i got fact right Escaflowne got it success in oversea)

the only budget got increase if had high number sale is the advertising

I thought this episode is ok, and it even had an animated background sequence which pretty awesome in my book, which u rarely see nowadays. however i do hate the recap part, but this nothing compare to the real recap episode, and yet i never see people bitching on it about budget

5. MCAL says:

Excellent episode as always. I guess the Japanese people don’t like their anime dark and intellectual. Psycho Pass isn’t doing so well too. (I mean over 5000 volumes is great, but not nearly as good as most other shows.) And didn’t you find the opening/insert song very jarring Psgels? And you’re usually one who likes to comment about those kinds of things too?

• Kaiserin Emma says:

New world is a fairly atypical show in my opinion, as is psycho pass, alot of people tend to flock to the familiar to them so a lot of more simplistic/straightforward and/or maybe quieter series will get more attention in terms of sales or viewership.
      Its certainly not my preferred type of show as I go for slice of life, drama and shoujo fantasy mainly though.

6. Highfinder Highfinder says:

Don’t get carried away guys. This show is good, I admit. But is not that good.
    If I had to state as to why it would be this shows problem of tell, don’t show. Notice how it tends to be a journey of saki finding the next exposition device. The false minoshiro, the queerat, karma demon shun, the grandma, Mamoru, the queerat and now a letter. Most annoyingly the revelations the letter and Mamoru gave us would have been better shown to us earlier rather than wait for the characters to explain them. Really what was stopping them from showing Mamoru getting stalked by copycats before he ran off? Why are we only now seeing scenes showing the friendship between Saki and Maria?
    I also say that in all honesty that the past of the show would make a better anime than the show itself. Starting off the anime right at the fall of civilization and showing how things slowly became this way would be far more interesting than Saki finding someone to tell us about it.
    I can’t say the characters are strong either. For the most part I know pretty much nothing about them.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Highfinder:Oh Don’t get me wrong, I do think this show has its shining moments but it also turns me away more often with the info dumping and plot flow and weak animation. I also agree with you that a more expansive past arc would be interesting.
      That said I do find plenty to enjoy here with whats on offer.

• Airies says:

DISAGREE! This show is genius and breaks the current trend! um also we always new maria and saki had a close relationship!

• Taara535 says:

@Highfinder – I think you are highly underestimating the fascinating medium that memory is. What makes From the New World so interesting is that the audience is constantly trying to fill in the blanks of how we got from here to there. Not to mention, we are trying to do so through a narrator who has a very strong views on her society given what she has gone through (which we don’t know yet!!). Because of the various perspectives in the show, we are constantly having to guess at the meanings of many different things that happen in the show. This is far more interesting than just a straight telling a story, with an all-knowing, all-present, neutral narrator.

I am also surprised you just see other aspects of the story as just a plot device for the main arc. You seem to not be interested in any of the side plots at all here. How did the queer-rats come to be? What are the different villages like? We are told they have different methods of control, what are they? What about the different factions of the queer-rats? How did the scientists engineer society? What did they do to the “human” genome? What is the meaning of Shun showing up Saki’s dream?

Meaning of these questions have far more impact than how Saki relates to them. The side-plots are interesting in themselves, and if you don’t pay attention to them, then I think you are missing out on a great part of the story and this wonderful anime.

• Taara535 says:

*Many of these questions..

• Kaiserin Emma says:

The thing now however is will this all fit into 26 episodes and answer said questions Taara.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

Taara, you seem to be mistaking this kind of show for another kind. Namely you feel that this show is a solvable mystery style of show. Examples of such would be Higurashi which gave the viewer hints to it’s mystery and allowed for a great deal of speculation. From the new world is not this kind of story. There is no way to speculate seeing from the information we are fed. The setting is too alien to speculate theories. We know relatively nothing about how these people work, learn or even the nature of society. What do the adults do for example? We have no foundation whatsoever to built theories. As for your questions

How did the queer-rats come to be?

What are the different villages like?
        Does it matter? Chances are we shall never learn as it’s is not relevant.

We are told they have different methods of control, what are they?
        Doesn’t matter.

What about the different factions of the queer-rats?
        What about them?

How did the scientists engineer society?
        With science.

What did they do to the “human” genome?
        How could we ever guess that? Either way I highly doubt this could be satisfactorily explained.

What is the meaning of Shun showing up Saki’s dream?
        Trauma. Repressed memories.

• Taara535 says:

Wow Highfinder, you are just not interested in these aspects at all are you?

Part of the fun is considering theories, not all questions have to have answers.

“How did the queer-rats come to be?
          It’s god knows how many years in the future, chances are they are a product of evolution.”

I have a feeling they are much more interlinked to the story of how this society came to be then you think.

“What are the different villages like?
          Does it matter? Chances are we shall never learn as it’s is not relevant.”

It’s not relevant?!? What was just put forth in the episode was an argument – an argument by Maria that the society they live in is not worth saving. This is a very important moral question in this constructed universe – at what point is more suffering and pain caused by continuing this sort of PK human society? Maria says they have reached that point; Saki (I believe) will say they have not. How other villages are run has a direct impact on how we morally justify whether these PK villages are actually worth their own existence. This is a major premise of the show.

“We are told they have different methods of control, what are they?
          Doesn’t matter.”

See previous answer

“How did the scientists engineer society?
          With science.”

If the scientists used ethically terrible means to engineer the society, then it further impacts how we morally answer the existence of these PK villages. Again, “with science” is a freaking cop-out to a very important question in the series.

In conclusion, while I would love the series to answer these questions, even if it does not that does not make these questions irrelevant. By simply posing these questions, the series asks us to consider important ethical questions in our own society. We are never going to be able to answer important philosophical/theological questions like “how can evil exist in a world with a Christian God?” or “what is truth?” or “What is an ethical society?” But, that doesn’t mean we should ask those questions!

• Taara535 says:

Lastly, I do not see this show as a solvable mystery show. Let’s be honest, this show is not going to leave us with clear answers. What I do see this show as is a very thoughtful/intellectual take on civilizations in precipitous decline and a fundamental questioning going to literally the point of human existence. In short, this show is a philosophical tragedy.

Can any show answer these questions (of course not), but I will continually praise this show for actually posing these questions and in a very thoughtful, creative manner.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

I don’t like wasting my time on pointless ventures. I simply don’t find those aspects interesting enough to care about.

Well, it’s also highly possible that they are a product of a karma demons cantos going out of control.

As I said. Not relevant. Our guide is Saki. Therefore our only example is Saki’s village. We cannot make judgements unless we see these other villages. However considering the nature of the show the other control methods are likely to be worse or bad in another sense. The nature of whether their lives are worth saving or not is really an issue. Human society has never been perfect. People have always been under a certain degree of control. PK has caused that control to tighten mostly because of fear. In my opinion this is merely a trail and error stage which is to find a system that can help give PK users a degree of freedom while stopping fiends and karma demons. I don’t give this much thought because I find the methods done so far to be highly questionable. I mean these methods are rather…stupid for lack of a better word. Particularly the Bonboros treatment.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When you got teenagers ripping people apart, raping and you can’t do anything about it that is not the time to play the morals card. Regardless of the method used the reason for it’s use is probably justified.

I don’t consider this questions all that important myself. I would find it more intriguing if instead of posing these questions it instead used them within the narrative. You can’t just give something credit for posing ideas. Anyone an have ideas. It’s how those ideas are used is what matters.
            As for those questions. Evil exists because of humans. We are both evil and good and capable of both. We have the free will to choose to be either. I believe that’s what god intended despite what the bible says. Otherwise he would have just eliminated evil altogether but well then life wouldn’t be interesting. Truth is truth. Plain and simple. It’s the plain truth without deception. Ethical society doesn’t exist and shouldn’t exist. It’s like world peace. The idea seems nice but that’s because you don’t think of the consequences.

Maybe that’s why I don’t find that interesting. I already figured out my own theories on those matters and so far they pan out. Therefore I don’t bother wondering about them anymore.

• Mass says:

If you actually pay attention, you can figure out quite a bit about the things they haven’t explicitly told us. For example:

“Which society are we the descendents of?” ask the kids to the synthetic minoshiro, regarding whether they are the descendants of the technological society or not. The answer: They are probably the descendents of the Holy Cherry Blossom dynasty, the slave dynasty we saw at the beginning of early episodes. How do I know this? Well, in some of their important buildings, you see the Holy Cherry Blossom dynasty’s pink flower symbol.

What are the different villages like?
          Well, we see the one Tomiko was in a couple hundred years ago. That place looked very European for whatever reason.

What is the meaning of Shun showing up in Saki’s dream?
          I’m not sure you can jump to conclusions about that yet. I suspect that the dream prediction that Maria has to die has some truth to it, but I’m not sure why or how it will manifest.

The thing is, you’re the one confusing this kind of show with another.

See, caring about the characters and setting and background of the world is essentially where the main thrust of the anime is. You may think the set ups and explanations are really just a vehicle for what happens which is how most other shows operate, but I don’t think they are. They’re not really just mumbo jumbo technobabble to make everything sound complex and not so implausible; they’re legitimate series of events and premises that build an actual setting. They’re what everything is about.

See, this show works a little the opposite from a lot of others. Rather than SAO (just using it as an example. No real reason other than that to pick it specifically), where the whole set up of getting stuck in the game and having the headgear kill you if you try to leave serves to make the plot happen: the story is really about the characters kicking ass in sword battles and the interpersonal drama (or so I’ve detected. I only watched 3 episodes of SAO). In From the New World, however, the fact that things are set up the way they are, the things that the events and set ups imply about the way the universe is fundamentally structured is the point of the show. That it is possible for that ‘alien setting’ to happen, and the consequences of such is the important part.

Basically, it’s the difference between science fiction and space opera. In space opera (here I’m using the term for a lot of this ‘lighter’ scifi), the technology or physics or explanations serve primarily to allow what the author wants to have happen to happen. This can be done well or poorly. IMO Legend of the Galactic Heroes is amazing. It doesn’t really have much in terms of scifi concepts or deep explanations as to the nature of things, but the character and political interactions are extremely rich and deep. SAO on the other hand to me was just one asspull after another.

In science fiction, the fact that the Alien Settings are true is what it’s about. It asks “What would happen if X were true?” and (hopefully) casts rich characters and narrative from the logical conclusions of the premises. From the New World is clearly this type of thing, rather than the other.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

“See, caring about the characters and setting and background of the world is essentially where the main thrust of the anime is.”

Then there it is failing to me. I need the reason to care about these things. When I jump into a show I am automatically intrigued and want to know what happens. However it’s the shows job to make it that I stay that way. Tell me, why should I care about Saki? I know absolutely nothing about her. I get that she seems to have a good head on her shoulders as she deals with stress and trauma well. But that’s pretty much the same as our main girl from Psycho pass who’s pass doesn’t get clouded no matter what. In fact she sort of reminds me of Madoka. She acts as an observer for the viewer. A bundle of vague traits and reactions we would expect for a typical human being. She’s relatable but not necessarily memorable. Same could be said for our other characters. Shun – cantos genius and dependable. Pretty much all I know about him. Maria – can levitate and likes Mamoru and Saki. Pretty much all I know about her.
            If I can’t care about the characters then that makes it difficult to care about the setting. Even more so if the information is presented in a manner of exposition devices instead of using visuals to convey it. Infodumping is not a good writing technique. It’s a useful one at times but in general it should be used sparingly.

• Joe says:

I agree that the presentation of the show is a bit lacking in some ways, but it’s quite good in terms of the art style and cinematography, in my opinion. The content of the story is also interesting enough that I don’t mind the flaws in presentation. This show might not be a masterpiece, but it is very good.

• Anna says:

I must say that I agree with Taara.

Also, i just wanted to comment on something you said:
      “Ethical society doesn’t exist and shouldn’t exist. It’s like world peace. The idea seems nice but that’s because you don’t think of the consequences.”

I think that what you’re trying to get at here is that if we had a perfectly ethical society, it may be “too perfect” and end up being a dystopia rather than a utopia. In addition, the meaning of ethical is really subjective so there is no way that we would ever be able to satisfy everyone’s idea of being ethical in order to achieve a ‘perfect society’ in the first place. I agree with that.

But, what you’re ALSO saying is that society shouldn’t really care about trying to be ethical in the first place because ‘being perfectly ethical’ doesn’t exist. In my opinion, that’s just a cop-out. If we just gave up on trying to be ethical “because it doesn’t exist” and let everyone do whatever they wanted, our society would just fall to pieces. For example, criminals would just commit crimes without fear of consequences. Therefore we should always strive to ask ourselves questions like: are we doing the right thing? How should we organize our society in a fair and just manner? What is the ethical amount of control we should exercise over our citizens?

So my main point is really that just because we can’t ever reach a ‘perfectly ethical society,’ this doesn’t mean we should just give up on trying to do the right thing.

By the way, If I’m misunderstanding you in some way, I apologize.

7. Litho says:

I get where you’re coming from, Highlander. Sometimes get that impression as well. But still, the presentation is decent enough (the uneven animation/character styles notwithstanding). Besides, we can’t really blame the studio for that, since it seems (according to what I’ve read) to follow the original source material closely, though personally I get the feeling it’s been watered down a touch.

8. Airies says:

I think the way it has presented all its points is original and it has worked very well. Also can we just take a minute to clap for those kids in that choir singing “aaaaaaaaaah aaaah aaaaaah aaaaaaaaaaaaah aaaah aaahaaaahaaah”

9. Arno says:

Why are the Japanese not buying it ?

Well, probably like others in the world, they work hard and they watch fiction for entertainment.

They expect shining animation, positive or lovable characters, plots with twists and comedy.

Here it’s just semi-developed characters, either dying or brooding in front of gloomy landscapes. And a lot of maho-maho-shmaho.

• Taara535 says:

Yeah, Saki isn’t that developed. It’s not like anything has happened to her and we haven’t seen her change at all throughout her life. Jeez, all she is doing is just emo-brooding. I wonder what she is so sad about? She should just be more moe so the tired workers can come home and be happy./

I see your point, but I fundamentally disagree. The best entertainment has sought to challenge the audience rather than pander to them. The hundreds of moeblob shows will be forgotten, but shows that challenge the audience should be remembered as important works.

There is a reason why Ghost in the Shell will be re-watched in 10 years and K-On! will be ignored.

10. boa_sting says:

A large budget isn’t what’s necessary to tell a story, usually. Or even what’s necessary to look good. Sometimes low-budget tricks, stills, etc. can have more impact that some kind of fluid animation, not to mention 3D / CG / postprocessing overload (K lens flares?).

Pacing, direction, and cinematography were good, at least in my opinion. I wouldn’t call it a masterwork episode, but it was pretty solid and closed this arc well. The plot mostly wrote itself this episode, and not too much actually happened there, but that’s not a problem and not the point.

Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100