Posted by psgels on 23 January 2013 with categories: From the New World

This was a very interesting episode. The thing is, that it’s clear that it had hardly any budget, yet it did have a couple of very talented animators and artists. This episode threw away a lot of conventions, looked inconsistent, spent its first half on recycled footage, and yet looked really gorgeous.

The new footage showed the cast when they were young children, which contrasted really well with what they went through later. And then came that incredibly weird dream that Saki had afterwards. I can only imagine the symbolism that was in there for the final half of this series, but the thing that caught my attention the most was how it stated that it was no use to bring Mamoru and Maria back. That they were better off dying. I mean, dreams in anime are always with a purpose. What was that dream trying to tell her?

I really liked Maria’s letter and how it was written. But really: the writing in this entire episode was just excellent, how it was entirely focused on Saki’s worries about the loss of her friends; it really went in-depth there. Saki and Satoru, they have lost three really good friends now, and they’re pretty much alone at this point. This episode wasn’t really clear whether or not they will return to the village, or also run away. Either way, it’s going to be really tough for them.
Rating: 5.5/8 (Excellent)

1. Oroboros says:

This show just keeps getting better week by week, story-wise and character wise. But the end should indicate that neither Saki nor Satoru ran away, cuz it starts 10 years later.

2. Airies says:

best episode of the decade.

3. Kaiserin Emma says:

That whole dream sequence was wonderfully haunting, creepy and surreal in the best way it could be.

4. Andmeuths says:

I wonder whether the lack of budget is due to the abysmal pre-orders. Why isn’t there a market for these works of genius?

• reverse says:

Seriously animation budget had nothing to do with pre-orders number, that just not right. just look at EVA tv, TTGL both had mediocre budget yet high number of sale. and compare that to Dennō Coil and Escaflowne*(if i got fact right Escaflowne got it success in oversea)

the only budget got increase if had high number sale is the advertising

I thought this episode is ok, and it even had an animated background sequence which pretty awesome in my book, which u rarely see nowadays. however i do hate the recap part, but this nothing compare to the real recap episode, and yet i never see people bitching on it about budget

5. MCAL says:

Excellent episode as always. I guess the Japanese people don’t like their anime dark and intellectual. Psycho Pass isn’t doing so well too. (I mean over 5000 volumes is great, but not nearly as good as most other shows.) And didn’t you find the opening/insert song very jarring Psgels? And you’re usually one who likes to comment about those kinds of things too?

• Kaiserin Emma says:

New world is a fairly atypical show in my opinion, as is psycho pass, alot of people tend to flock to the familiar to them so a lot of more simplistic/straightforward and/or maybe quieter series will get more attention in terms of sales or viewership.
      Its certainly not my preferred type of show as I go for slice of life, drama and shoujo fantasy mainly though.

6. Highfinder Highfinder says:

Don’t get carried away guys. This show is good, I admit. But is not that good.
    If I had to state as to why it would be this shows problem of tell, don’t show. Notice how it tends to be a journey of saki finding the next exposition device. The false minoshiro, the queerat, karma demon shun, the grandma, Mamoru, the queerat and now a letter. Most annoyingly the revelations the letter and Mamoru gave us would have been better shown to us earlier rather than wait for the characters to explain them. Really what was stopping them from showing Mamoru getting stalked by copycats before he ran off? Why are we only now seeing scenes showing the friendship between Saki and Maria?
    I also say that in all honesty that the past of the show would make a better anime than the show itself. Starting off the anime right at the fall of civilization and showing how things slowly became this way would be far more interesting than Saki finding someone to tell us about it.
    I can’t say the characters are strong either. For the most part I know pretty much nothing about them.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Highfinder:Oh Don’t get me wrong, I do think this show has its shining moments but it also turns me away more often with the info dumping and plot flow and weak animation. I also agree with you that a more expansive past arc would be interesting.
      That said I do find plenty to enjoy here with whats on offer.

• Airies says:

DISAGREE! This show is genius and breaks the current trend! um also we always new maria and saki had a close relationship!

• Taara535 says:

@Highfinder – I think you are highly underestimating the fascinating medium that memory is. What makes From the New World so interesting is that the audience is constantly trying to fill in the blanks of how we got from here to there. Not to mention, we are trying to do so through a narrator who has a very strong views on her society given what she has gone through (which we don’t know yet!!). Because of the various perspectives in the show, we are constantly having to guess at the meanings of many different things that happen in the show. This is far more interesting than just a straight telling a story, with an all-knowing, all-present, neutral narrator.

I am also surprised you just see other aspects of the story as just a plot device for the main arc. You seem to not be interested in any of the side plots at all here. How did the queer-rats come to be? What are the different villages like? We are told they have different methods of control, what are they? What about the different factions of the queer-rats? How did the scientists engineer society? What did they do to the “human” genome? What is the meaning of Shun showing up Saki’s dream?

Meaning of these questions have far more impact than how Saki relates to them. The side-plots are interesting in themselves, and if you don’t pay attention to them, then I think you are missing out on a great part of the story and this wonderful anime.

• Taara535 says:

*Many of these questions..

• Kaiserin Emma says:

The thing now however is will this all fit into 26 episodes and answer said questions Taara.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

Taara, you seem to be mistaking this kind of show for another kind. Namely you feel that this show is a solvable mystery style of show. Examples of such would be Higurashi which gave the viewer hints to it’s mystery and allowed for a great deal of speculation. From the new world is not this kind of story. There is no way to speculate seeing from the information we are fed. The setting is too alien to speculate theories. We know relatively nothing about how these people work, learn or even the nature of society. What do the adults do for example? We have no foundation whatsoever to built theories. As for your questions

How did the queer-rats come to be?

What are the different villages like?
        Does it matter? Chances are we shall never learn as it’s is not relevant.

We are told they have different methods of control, what are they?
        Doesn’t matter.

What about the different factions of the queer-rats?
        What about them?

How did the scientists engineer society?
        With science.

What did they do to the “human” genome?
        How could we ever guess that? Either way I highly doubt this could be satisfactorily explained.

What is the meaning of Shun showing up Saki’s dream?
        Trauma. Repressed memories.

• Taara535 says:

Wow Highfinder, you are just not interested in these aspects at all are you?

Part of the fun is considering theories, not all questions have to have answers.

“How did the queer-rats come to be?
          It’s god knows how many years in the future, chances are they are a product of evolution.”

I have a feeling they are much more interlinked to the story of how this society came to be then you think.

“What are the different villages like?
          Does it matter? Chances are we shall never learn as it’s is not relevant.”

It’s not relevant?!? What was just put forth in the episode was an argument – an argument by Maria that the society they live in is not worth saving. This is a very important moral question in this constructed universe – at what point is more suffering and pain caused by continuing this sort of PK human society? Maria says they have reached that point; Saki (I believe) will say they have not. How other villages are run has a direct impact on how we morally justify whether these PK villages are actually worth their own existence. This is a major premise of the show.

“We are told they have different methods of control, what are they?
          Doesn’t matter.”

See previous answer

“How did the scientists engineer society?
          With science.”

If the scientists used ethically terrible means to engineer the society, then it further impacts how we morally answer the existence of these PK villages. Again, “with science” is a freaking cop-out to a very important question in the series.

In conclusion, while I would love the series to answer these questions, even if it does not that does not make these questions irrelevant. By simply posing these questions, the series asks us to consider important ethical questions in our own society. We are never going to be able to answer important philosophical/theological questions like “how can evil exist in a world with a Christian God?” or “what is truth?” or “What is an ethical society?” But, that doesn’t mean we should ask those questions!

• Taara535 says:

Lastly, I do not see this show as a solvable mystery show. Let’s be honest, this show is not going to leave us with clear answers. What I do see this show as is a very thoughtful/intellectual take on civilizations in precipitous decline and a fundamental questioning going to literally the point of human existence. In short, this show is a philosophical tragedy.

Can any show answer these questions (of course not), but I will continually praise this show for actually posing these questions and in a very thoughtful, creative manner.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

I don’t like wasting my time on pointless ventures. I simply don’t find those aspects interesting enough to care about.

Well, it’s also highly possible that they are a product of a karma demons cantos going out of control.

As I said. Not relevant. Our guide is Saki. Therefore our only example is Saki’s village. We cannot make judgements unless we see these other villages. However considering the nature of the show the other control methods are likely to be worse or bad in another sense. The nature of whether their lives are worth saving or not is really an issue. Human society has never been perfect. People have always been under a certain degree of control. PK has caused that control to tighten mostly because of fear. In my opinion this is merely a trail and error stage which is to find a system that can help give PK users a degree of freedom while stopping fiends and karma demons. I don’t give this much thought because I find the methods done so far to be highly questionable. I mean these methods are rather…stupid for lack of a better word. Particularly the Bonboros treatment.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When you got teenagers ripping people apart, raping and you can’t do anything about it that is not the time to play the morals card. Regardless of the method used the reason for it’s use is probably justified.

I don’t consider this questions all that important myself. I would find it more intriguing if instead of posing these questions it instead used them within the narrative. You can’t just give something credit for posing ideas. Anyone an have ideas. It’s how those ideas are used is what matters.
            As for those questions. Evil exists because of humans. We are both evil and good and capable of both. We have the free will to choose to be either. I believe that’s what god intended despite what the bible says. Otherwise he would have just eliminated evil altogether but well then life wouldn’t be interesting. Truth is truth. Plain and simple. It’s the plain truth without deception. Ethical society doesn’t exist and shouldn’t exist. It’s like world peace. The idea seems nice but that’s because you don’t think of the consequences.

Maybe that’s why I don’t find that interesting. I already figured out my own theories on those matters and so far they pan out. Therefore I don’t bother wondering about them anymore.

• Mass says:

If you actually pay attention, you can figure out quite a bit about the things they haven’t explicitly told us. For example:

“Which society are we the descendents of?” ask the kids to the synthetic minoshiro, regarding whether they are the descendants of the technological society or not. The answer: They are probably the descendents of the Holy Cherry Blossom dynasty, the slave dynasty we saw at the beginning of early episodes. How do I know this? Well, in some of their important buildings, you see the Holy Cherry Blossom dynasty’s pink flower symbol.

What are the different villages like?
          Well, we see the one Tomiko was in a couple hundred years ago. That place looked very European for whatever reason.

What is the meaning of Shun showing up in Saki’s dream?
          I’m not sure you can jump to conclusions about that yet. I suspect that the dream prediction that Maria has to die has some truth to it, but I’m not sure why or how it will manifest.

The thing is, you’re the one confusing this kind of show with another.

See, caring about the characters and setting and background of the world is essentially where the main thrust of the anime is. You may think the set ups and explanations are really just a vehicle for what happens which is how most other shows operate, but I don’t think they are. They’re not really just mumbo jumbo technobabble to make everything sound complex and not so implausible; they’re legitimate series of events and premises that build an actual setting. They’re what everything is about.

See, this show works a little the opposite from a lot of others. Rather than SAO (just using it as an example. No real reason other than that to pick it specifically), where the whole set up of getting stuck in the game and having the headgear kill you if you try to leave serves to make the plot happen: the story is really about the characters kicking ass in sword battles and the interpersonal drama (or so I’ve detected. I only watched 3 episodes of SAO). In From the New World, however, the fact that things are set up the way they are, the things that the events and set ups imply about the way the universe is fundamentally structured is the point of the show. That it is possible for that ‘alien setting’ to happen, and the consequences of such is the important part.

Basically, it’s the difference between science fiction and space opera. In space opera (here I’m using the term for a lot of this ‘lighter’ scifi), the technology or physics or explanations serve primarily to allow what the author wants to have happen to happen. This can be done well or poorly. IMO Legend of the Galactic Heroes is amazing. It doesn’t really have much in terms of scifi concepts or deep explanations as to the nature of things, but the character and political interactions are extremely rich and deep. SAO on the other hand to me was just one asspull after another.

In science fiction, the fact that the Alien Settings are true is what it’s about. It asks “What would happen if X were true?” and (hopefully) casts rich characters and narrative from the logical conclusions of the premises. From the New World is clearly this type of thing, rather than the other.

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

“See, caring about the characters and setting and background of the world is essentially where the main thrust of the anime is.”

Then there it is failing to me. I need the reason to care about these things. When I jump into a show I am automatically intrigued and want to know what happens. However it’s the shows job to make it that I stay that way. Tell me, why should I care about Saki? I know absolutely nothing about her. I get that she seems to have a good head on her shoulders as she deals with stress and trauma well. But that’s pretty much the same as our main girl from Psycho pass who’s pass doesn’t get clouded no matter what. In fact she sort of reminds me of Madoka. She acts as an observer for the viewer. A bundle of vague traits and reactions we would expect for a typical human being. She’s relatable but not necessarily memorable. Same could be said for our other characters. Shun – cantos genius and dependable. Pretty much all I know about him. Maria – can levitate and likes Mamoru and Saki. Pretty much all I know about her.
            If I can’t care about the characters then that makes it difficult to care about the setting. Even more so if the information is presented in a manner of exposition devices instead of using visuals to convey it. Infodumping is not a good writing technique. It’s a useful one at times but in general it should be used sparingly.

• Joe says:

I agree that the presentation of the show is a bit lacking in some ways, but it’s quite good in terms of the art style and cinematography, in my opinion. The content of the story is also interesting enough that I don’t mind the flaws in presentation. This show might not be a masterpiece, but it is very good.

• Anna says:

I must say that I agree with Taara.

Also, i just wanted to comment on something you said:
      “Ethical society doesn’t exist and shouldn’t exist. It’s like world peace. The idea seems nice but that’s because you don’t think of the consequences.”

I think that what you’re trying to get at here is that if we had a perfectly ethical society, it may be “too perfect” and end up being a dystopia rather than a utopia. In addition, the meaning of ethical is really subjective so there is no way that we would ever be able to satisfy everyone’s idea of being ethical in order to achieve a ‘perfect society’ in the first place. I agree with that.

But, what you’re ALSO saying is that society shouldn’t really care about trying to be ethical in the first place because ‘being perfectly ethical’ doesn’t exist. In my opinion, that’s just a cop-out. If we just gave up on trying to be ethical “because it doesn’t exist” and let everyone do whatever they wanted, our society would just fall to pieces. For example, criminals would just commit crimes without fear of consequences. Therefore we should always strive to ask ourselves questions like: are we doing the right thing? How should we organize our society in a fair and just manner? What is the ethical amount of control we should exercise over our citizens?

So my main point is really that just because we can’t ever reach a ‘perfectly ethical society,’ this doesn’t mean we should just give up on trying to do the right thing.

By the way, If I’m misunderstanding you in some way, I apologize.

7. Litho says:

I get where you’re coming from, Highlander. Sometimes get that impression as well. But still, the presentation is decent enough (the uneven animation/character styles notwithstanding). Besides, we can’t really blame the studio for that, since it seems (according to what I’ve read) to follow the original source material closely, though personally I get the feeling it’s been watered down a touch.

8. Airies says:

I think the way it has presented all its points is original and it has worked very well. Also can we just take a minute to clap for those kids in that choir singing “aaaaaaaaaah aaaah aaaaaah aaaaaaaaaaaaah aaaah aaahaaaahaaah”

9. Arno says:

Why are the Japanese not buying it ?

Well, probably like others in the world, they work hard and they watch fiction for entertainment.

They expect shining animation, positive or lovable characters, plots with twists and comedy.

Here it’s just semi-developed characters, either dying or brooding in front of gloomy landscapes. And a lot of maho-maho-shmaho.

• Taara535 says:

Yeah, Saki isn’t that developed. It’s not like anything has happened to her and we haven’t seen her change at all throughout her life. Jeez, all she is doing is just emo-brooding. I wonder what she is so sad about? She should just be more moe so the tired workers can come home and be happy./

I see your point, but I fundamentally disagree. The best entertainment has sought to challenge the audience rather than pander to them. The hundreds of moeblob shows will be forgotten, but shows that challenge the audience should be remembered as important works.

There is a reason why Ghost in the Shell will be re-watched in 10 years and K-On! will be ignored.

10. boa_sting says:

A large budget isn’t what’s necessary to tell a story, usually. Or even what’s necessary to look good. Sometimes low-budget tricks, stills, etc. can have more impact that some kind of fluid animation, not to mention 3D / CG / postprocessing overload (K lens flares?).

Pacing, direction, and cinematography were good, at least in my opinion. I wouldn’t call it a masterwork episode, but it was pretty solid and closed this arc well. The plot mostly wrote itself this episode, and not too much actually happened there, but that’s not a problem and not the point.

@Amagi: they better have a second season. The way it ends now I don't even have any motivation to write a full review. I'm not really optimistic over it having a second cour because if the producers were confident about its chance, they would've greenlit it already.
@SuperMario: Seems like the official radio confirmed PriPri might get a second season if the BD and/or game sales are good enough. - BD sales seem to be around 7k at the moment, but it looks like many only ordered them now, after the last episode, so it might be more.
@Aidan. Oh I did. Thank you for reminding me. I will write the review.
@Travlos, Just in case you missed it, there is a reply to you earlier in the chatbox.
Kakeguiri also ended. In the end the anime original ending was not really an ending, but just a fan pleasing excursion. The integrity of the manga story remains. It was a good adaption, and I liked it as it brought to life the parts of the manga that make it interesting to me. Also a great Opening and Ending. Good show.
And to sum it up. I think this was a great series. All its episodes were good.
I actually am ok with the PP ending. The 12 episode series is self contained. Sure there are many future potential stories to pursue, but I felt there was enough closure to make the series a good series. This is because the next step of the narrative is really so long term as being more LOGH material than PP (the story of the ascension of Princesss to the throne, and then the story of her reforms)
Alright, I found the read more tag. Now my tendency to write more than I should will be contained.
@Mario, Got to play catch-up but I am guessing it was very much a non ending?
Gosh, is that how Princess Principal end?
@KAiser: I really have a mixed feeling watching Assayas's films. I always find his works toe touch into pretentious area. Still have much more films from him I want to watch though so that opinion might change
@Kaiser: As Tears go By surprised me a little considering how straightforward it is. It's Wong's most by the book HK romance but it was one of his most commercial success. After this, the studio allowed him to do things he like and that was when he gone banana with his styles
not a fan. Can't even tell the difference between turtle and tortoise
Anonymous1420257
i like turtles
@Mario: I hadn't expected some of the dry/dark humour in sils Maria, I liked the themes/aging angst and its comments on hollywood in parts even if it needed to go a bit deeper. Stewart is a revelation in it. That X-men parody scene was fucking funny lol
@Mario: I actually kind of liked As tears go by. Mostly because of my experiences with hong-kong action flicks, much as I like John Woos films, the melodrama he tries to sell between the action never worked for me and left me just waiting around for the action to come round again. Wong was able to put genuine emotion into the hong-kong action film with this one.
@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me
I am not one for putting down law but can we never ever compare anything to Dark Souls ever again? Cause it's actually become really tiresome how everything is the dark souls of something.
No other sentence has made me want to watch Made in Abyss more

Kakegurui – 12[Gambling Woman]

It’s been awhile since I seen an anime original ending and honestly I was rather dreading it when I started this episode. Anime original endings don’t have a good track record as of course attempting to tack on an abrupt conclusion to an ongoing story is not going to turn out swimmingly. Even if I […]

Made in Abyss – 12[The True Nature of the Curse]

Today’s topic is the curse of the abyss alongside much needed revenge against the creature that put Riko in a bad spot. We get a rare glimpse of the topside village where one of the orphan kids we saw previously is deathly sick on his birthday. This caught me off guard as I believe I […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 13 [Katsugeki]

Welcome to the final week of Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, where the plot is rushed and the art is at its best. Lets jump in. Ranbu opens this week with the title card, skipping the OP. Looks like they want all the time they can get. Picking up where they left off, Ranbu has Horikawa go and […]

Princess Principal – 12 [Case 24 Fall of the Wall]

Is that seriously how they end Princess Principal? Nothing is resolved at all except Ange breaks down the wall around her heart to welcome her team to the Casablanca’s paradise. Everything screams “second season” and with the sales aren’t that impressive from what I gathered, will they ever get one? It comes hard for me […]

18if – 12 [The Witch Wars]

Let me just say, I’m all in favor for 18if having a proper closure, but I’m wholly disappointed with what happening right now. This episode is just all over the place. For instance, I’m just as glad as the next person to see all the Witches gathering back in real life to help Haruto, but […]

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100