Posted by psgels on 1 February 2013 with categories: Monthly Summaries

Okay, so this season is crap. I’d like to go into a bit more detail than that though, because there are a few things going on here. First of all, it is true that this season is in between two really good seasons. Producers are burnt out so that means less variety. Dear god, less variety. Everything just looks like each other, and the only really innovative series that isn’t a sequel got bogged down by bad characters and boobs.

However, when I compiled this entry, I did notice something… the last time I wrote a summary in a Summer or Winter season that had as many entries as this one was back in the summer of 2007, which was like the best season… ever. Seriously, 42 shows is normal for Spring or Autumn, but the small seasons usually only have around 30 entries, no more. If there is anything, this season has a huge quantity of series. This is both due to the stupid 3-minute series, and a lot of series that continued over from previous seasons.

But that makes even more bizarre to see just how much crap managed to accumulate in just one season. I mean, the below list is huge, yet I’m only going to continue with about 18 of them. That means that for 24 of them, I just did not find them worth my time. The thing with this season is that there just are really few non-sequels that I find interesting enough to continue. Because of that, I’m going to label this season at this point as the second-worst I have ever blogged, after Winter 2010.

The positive about this season? The amount of series that continue from the previous seasons is staggering, and there are so many of them that deliver and managed to evolve into interesting ways. Seriously, we’re bound to get a huge load of awesome climaxes in the next two months.

#42 (new) – Puchimas! Petit Idolmaster – (3/10) – Idolmaster… I didn’t like it, but I didn’t find it to be the worst series. This however, is just poorly produced crap meant to just get some dollars off the idolmaster name.
#41 (new) – Mangirl – (3.25/10) – Worst title ever. Dropped.
#40 (new) – Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan – (3.5/10) – Screw incest! Dropped.
#39 (new) – Da Capo III – (4/10) – Generic harem with stupid and uninteresting characters. Dropped.
#38 (new) – Love Live! – (4.25/10) – Stupid premise with cliched characters. I saw nothing interesting in this one, talk about the difference with AKB…. Dropped.
#37 (new) – Ai Mai Mi – (4.5/10) – Really bad jokes that try way too hard to be edgy. Dropped.
#36 (new) – Line Offline Salaryman – (4.5/10) – Bad office jokes. Dropped.
#35 (new) – Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru – (5/10) – Ohoho, this series thinks that it’s got a fresh new take on a tired formula… while in fact it’s completely cliched anyway. Poor characters, stupid premise, nothing that stands out. Dropped.
#34 (new) – Senyuu – (5.1/10) – Bad RPG jokes. As a parody, it just isn’t funny enough. Dropped.
#33 (new) – Cuticle Detective Inaba – (5.25/10) – The problem with this series is that it’s incredibly silly, while it thinks it’s funny. It isn’t! It’s trying way too hard! Dropped.
#32 (new) – Ishida to Asakura – (5.5/10) – What the hell was that?! Incredibly corny and silly, yet dropped.
#31 (new) – Vividred Operation – (6/10) – Vividred is way too calculated. It does things because it thinks that they are popular, and rips off specific scenes for this. Seems to be working, but for me: dropped.
#30 (new) – Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo – (6/10) – Feels like Dog Days, in which the characters somehow end up playing light-hearted games, which reduce all of the tension from the show for the sake of having fun. It if was fun it would be excused, but I found the first episode to be really trite and boring.
#29 (new) – Senran Kagura – (6/10) – Boobs. Dropped.
#28 (new) – GJ Bu – (6.1/10) – The standard format of a club with a guy and a bunch of girls doing a bunch of random stuff. Not funny nor interesting, stereotypical characters. Dropped.
#27 (new) – gdgd Fairies 2 – (7/10) – Had some good jokes about going against your expectations, but not good enough. Dropped.
#26 (new) – Bakumatsu Gijiden Roman – (7.25/10) – Too childish. The problem is that it thinks it’s edgy, while it’s incredibly cheesy. I see no potential. Dropped.
#25 (new) – Haitai Nanafa – (7.4/10) – Quite the gorgeous series, actually. Didn’t continue with it due to lack of time though. Dropped.
#24 (new) – Sasami@Ganbaranai – (7.5/10) – This feels like just another Shaft series. The thing is, that it could end up with a good climax again, but I don’t want to sit through hours of random crap to find out. I lasted two episodes here, and the series just wasted too much time on bad jokes and characters trying way too hard to show off their stereotypes. Dropped.
#23 (new) – Yama no Susume – (7.6/10) – Mountain climbing. Sounds fun, but ultimately three minutes plus rather boring characters weren’t enough to make me keep watching Dropped.
#22 (new) – Nekomonogatari (Black) – (7.6/10) – Do I want to watch more of the monogatari series? Do I want more of the style of this series and the really good animation? Do I want to see more of these incredibly annoying characters? Dropped? Not sure, actually…
#21 (new) – Minami-Ke Tadaima – (7.6/10) – Unfortunately, Minami-Ke just isn’t my series. I do not like shows in which there is no progression whatsoever. There needs to be some kind of red thread, instead of just watching random sketches. For that, it just wasn’t funny enough. Dropped.
#20 (new) – Maoyuu Maou Yuusha – (7.75/10) – The problem with this series is that even though the politics are interesting, it’s got some terrible characters and awkwardly forced romance. It may have potential, but I don’t trust the creators here. Ultimately, I’m dropping this one.
#19 (new) – Zettai Karen Children The Unlimited – (7.75/10) – Ultimately I dropped this one. Lack of time is the biggest reason, plus I feel like I’d be too left behind on the background for this show.
#18 (new) – Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun – (7.9/10) – Surprisingly good, I’m keeping up with this one. There are times when the animation can’t fully keep up with the storytelling, making things look silly, but it’s got a good array of different characters that play off each other well enough.
#17 (6) – Hunter X Hunter – (8/10) – This feels like an entire recap of the Nippon Animation OVA of it. I have this with this arc much more than with the other arcs so far. And with that, there is very little I can say about it. It’s lots of build-up and training arcs. They were interesting when I watched them first, but the thing with watching exposition you’ve already watched before is that it gets more easily boring than the other parts…
#16 (16) – Shirokuma Cafe – (8/10) – This series still is an enjoyable comedy. Nothing new to say really: I don’t really laugh out loud anymore, but this show does get the occasional chuckle out of me still. I especially like the small moments, like when two characters end up talking about an undiscovered past they shared together.
#15 (17) – Little Busters – (8/10) – I still want to follow this one, although I’m only at episode 15 so far. The thing is that it did get quite charming.
#14 (new) – Kotoura-San – (8/10) – This was actually quite cute. The big problem with the series is the male lead, but Kotoura has enough depth to make up for it with her feelings. The side characters also work really surprisingly well with each other.
#13 (new) – Tamako Market – (8.1/10) – The problem with Tamako Market is the bird: hilarious in the first episode, but he got old really fast afterwards. Thankfully there is enough in this series to make up for it, but it’s not as fresh as I originally hoped at this point.
#12 (12) – Magi – (8.1/10) – The reason why there hasn’t been an entry on this one is a lack of time. I’m going to try and combine multiple episodes for one post for this one, because I’d like to prioritize the other series I’m blogging over this one. It’s not like this one’s bad, but rather that the other ones are better. Where every other series is moving into new directions, this one’s direction with democracies felt the least interesting.
#11 (new) – Amnesia – (8.25/10)

Good! The whole paranoia about not knowing what is real and what is happening actually works quite well here. It’s like, a reverse harem with a lot of mystery elements, and I can keep watching that.

#10 (new) – AKB0048 – (8.4/10)

AKB0048 has continued to do what it does really well, but this time we already know the characters. In fact, the added attention to the characters so far have really worked and I did not see a few of the twists coming here. This show has ambitions for its second season.

#9 (11) – Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo – (8.4/10)

Sakurasou got more dramatic this month. And you know what? It worked really well. There was great character-development and the added romance made the characters even better, for all of the main characters. Even the sister, while still terrible, got better. The thing with this series is that it has a lot of small details put into all of its scenes that make it so much more worthwhile than a regular romance show.

#8 (15) – Saint Seiya Omega – (8.5/10)

Why do you make me teary-eyed like that!? What the hell is going on with just a simple fighting series?!

#7 (9) – Robotics;Notes – (8.5/10)

Robotics;Notes got a lot more serious this month, but it worked. A lot of build-up was used well, and I really like how it combined all of its loose threads together, bit by bit. Now keep this up.

#6 (new) – Chihayafuru – (8.5/10)

I’m behind! I know! I apologize! Nevertheless, Chihayafuru rocks and the second season continues with a bunch of strong new characters that can really add a lot of interesting stuff to the characters. I do have to note though, that the show looks less clean now. Where every shot was crisp in the first, there was a lot of awkward animation here. Possibilities are a smaller budget, or more outsourcing?

#5 (5) – Psycho Pass – (8.6/10)

Psycho Pass has headed into its second half, and with that it has gotten more in-depth with its setting and characters, and it did pay off. The developments were really interesting to watch.

#4 (4) – From the New World – (8.75/10)

We’ve just reached the third time-skip, and suddenly we’re dealing with fully grown adults. The most interesting part is the setting though. It just continues to evolve and it becomes more and more clear how screwed the characters are as the show goes on. I really like some of the cunning characters in this series.

#3 (3) – Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – (8.75/10)

Holy crap, the over the top fights in this series really were creative, and incredibly intense. This series really knows its action yet again, and it just keeps pushing itself forward. Just a shame that the training arc broke up the momentum a bit.

#2 (2) – Zetsuen no Tempest – (8.75/10)

Something interesting went on for this month. The series changed a lot. It got more light-hearted, there were a lot of jokes as the show fleshed out its characters, and I love how it subtly makes its plot more and more complicated. It’s building up to a new mind-screw!

#1 (1) – Uchuu Kyoudai – (8.75/10)

This month was different for Uchuu Kyoudai. The comedy got removed, the pacing slowed down even more and things suddenly became nerve-wrecking. The most annoying are the cliff-hangers. I do have to say though… with a continuation announced, it’s going to get really boring to see Uchuu Kyoudai dominate this ranking month after month. Can we get a series that’s even better to even things out perhaps?

1. Shirencel says:

I think the male lead in Kotoura-san is a really nice guy who’s fun to watch. D= He’s not useless at all, actually does things and voices things that I’ve thought the whole time along too. mhn … I don’t think that his occasional pervert fantasies are annoying enough to make him a bad character really ..

2. mistress_kisara says:

I agree with everything in your top 20! but I woud put Kotoura-san in the top ten. And yeah, its a good that you dropped Sasami-san, Sasami herself is likeable but the rest of the cast is terrible.

3. Spike says:

Amnesia is absolutely awful. The storytelling and dialogue seem like a complete copy+paste from a visual novel. And a crappy one at that. it doesn’t belong anywhere near the top 12 of the season unless you are a twelve year old girl.

• Airies says:

I agree with this, I was actually offended to see it higher than tamako market and even puchimas! I’m sorry but your opinion on amnesia is an awful one.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Spike:Guess that makes me a twelve year old girl lol Though to be fair I do agree that the dialogue is very condescending and the exposition poor delivered with a poor animation budget. However that being said I’m like Alec (see below) I’m invested in the atmosphere and plot itself despite the presentation.

• notintheface11 says:

Did I miss the part where visual novels are inherently poor storytellers? All the ones I’ve experienced (and admittedly there are only a few) have had great storytelling.

• Airies says:

Brains Base made a really bad move on this one. Luckily it will redeem itself with My Youth RomCom Wrong that will be out next season.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Its definitely one of their weaker shows but I think I’ll have to add ixion in too its gone a bit naff really in its second half.

• Spike says:

Not saying VNs have bad storytelling at all, there are tons of anime based on VN that are done VERY well. What you don’t want to do is import that VN into anime in a 1:1 copy. It doesn’t work well in the anime medium. It’s like trying to 1:1 copy a book into a movie.

What Amnesia’s problem is – is that every episode is like ‘cardboard cutout bishie #1 route’ and then uses the main chars amnesia to backtrack and take the next ‘route’. it just comes off as sloppy – add in tons of exposition without lips flaps half the time and you get a D+/C- show tops.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Spike:I would also consider the rest format a bit jarring/alienating at first.
          I’m not too fond of visual novel adaptations in general or associate franchises.
          The three key series, robotics notes are exceptions for me.
          I feel the transition to anime format is far too clunky and most of the time listless.
          This extends to reverse harem adaptations too, I’ve read a few reverse harem manga and enjoyed them greatly but I’m not to keen on VN adaptations of reverse harems, they have glimmers here and there but often run into bad pacing.

4. Pp1T says:

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. Once again Psgels studio bias completely disregards the existence of original authors.

• Airies says:

This is an anime site mate.

• Pp1T says:

He is judging the future development of the anime based on the studio, mate.

• Airies says:

Yes, why wouldnt he, he only writes about anime in the first place. He has said nothing what so ever of any of the other mediums its spread across because he doesn’t talk about all the other mediums. Sorry mate

• Pp1T says:

If the original story is written by a different person then I don’t see how he can see the future of this series. Nobody is talking about other mediums, are you able to understand this?

• psgels psgels says:

It’s indeed all speculation at this point yeah. This list isn’t meant to be a full fledged list of review, but just impressions that I got from the series.

With Maoyuu, I just found it completely boring in the character department, and even though it could become amazing later on, I see too much potential for this to not happen, and I simply don’t want to waste my time on that.

• Airies says:

OMG!!! okay psgels doesnt care about whether its written by a different person or not, he reviewing the anime with out having any background on its original sources. how can you not understand this? hes just speculating whats going to happen next like any normal person would. he’s only talking about the anime, so why are you talking about the original written version? He’s obviously going to have know idea about what it’s about.

• Pp1T says:

He IS caring about the background of the ANIME. But what he cares about is a bias against the ANIME staff ruining the story, this makes no sense because the ANIME staff didn’t make the ANIME original story. I don’t think I can put it any easier for you (If by the 4th time you don’t get it then all hope is lost).

• Airies says:

HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE STORY IS!! how could he possibly care about it when hes only seen 4 episodes of the anime!! and you dont make sense! “He IS caring about the background of the ANIME. But what he cares about is a bias against the ANIME staff ruining the story, this makes no sense because the ANIME staff didn’t make the ANIME original story” WHAT! you are saying he cares about both so I dont see the problem anymore, he is meant to base his opinion on the studio and staff, He is watching the A-NI-ME! not reading the original work.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

I also think it’s a bias against the studio specifically. I think it’s pretty clear that the staff can be more influential than the actual studio (since the studios themselves are mainly responsible for putting together a production in many cases), especially if the staff members are well-known. Considering psgels supposedly knows zilch about the original writer and relatively enjoyed the staff members’ execution on spice and wolf, I can only assume he means ARMS when he talks about not trusting the creators.

• meaqui says:

No Airies, you are wrong.

How am I wrong?

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Y’know despite my intolerance of Mao yuu for its fanservice/characters, its the political/economics element I dislike above it because the theme is a banal one to me.

• Airies says:

my opinion on maoyuu is simple: boring and not for me.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Pp1T: Though it doesn’t always happen sometimes anime staff might go a different route from the source, so theres always a possibility of the anime deviating or going a different route.

5. Airies says:

I’m actually really annoyed to see love live the 4th last listed. everything about AKB and LL is completely different except for the fact that their both idol shows. Love live isnt trying to be a space action musical, its meant to be a really nice animated coming of idol story that just makes you feel happy. BOTH THESE SHOWS ARE DOING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

6. Kaiserin Emma says:

I’m actually quite surprised that chihayafuru wasn’t ranked higher than sixth I probably would have put it third or second. Most likely my top 10 would have been : 1. Robotics notes, 2. Chihayafuru 3. Space brothers 4. Sakurasou, 5.Hakkenden 6. Tamako 7. Akb 8. Zetsuen 9. New world and actually probably either love live or amnesia or jojo or shirokuma as a tenth.

• Airies says:

hmm interesting list, last time I checked you werent watching space brothers but I guess you must of recently watched it. I dont think sakurasou is better than akb, new world or tamako market though. but thats just me. Glad to see your getting the most out of robotics;notes too because a lot of people have left it by now. I’m still quite enjoying it

• Kaiserin Emma says:

I’d say I need just a bit more time to warm up to Tamako more. I originally put space brothers on hold actually because I was watching too much back when it finished its first cour or so. That and I felt I’d end up just reading the manga instead cause at the time I was convinced space bros was only going to get 24 eps.
        Truth be told I’d considered not picking it back up at first cause it had gotten long but the movie for it and psgels recent entries and a quick flick through some later manga chapters refuelled my interest.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

With new world, I tend more towards preferring wordy or darker stuff when I read it rather than watch it, it clicks a lot better usually.
          Honestly my mainstay for amnesia is that I seem to always need a shoujo series for a fix.
          Given how much you mention love live I’m seriously considering it someday.

• Airies says:

wait so your not watch love live? also if I could make your decision I would drop fucking amnesia shit and watch LL.

7. notintheface11 says:

The fact that you find the characters in -monogatari annoying almost makes me never want to read your work ever again psgels. Fortunately you’ve led me to enough good stuff that I can let that blight, massive and hideous as it is, slide. ;-)

• Airies says:

I know right its been like 3 seasons now, you’d think to drop it or atleast like ‘A’ character. I dont see how any of them are unlikeable in the first place.

• notintheface11 says:

Especially with psgels’ emphasis on dialogue and multi-faceted characters. I really have a hard time naming a single series with characters as deep as monogatari’s. Yeah, sure, they’ll spend five minutes talking about something sexual but it’s so blatantly over the top that I don’t see why you’d let it bother you to the point of hatred.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Although Monogataris fanservice can get to me, theres more depth than the average harem I’m sold on the characters.

• Airies says:

Kaiserin that is exactly right. they are the run of the mill stereo typed moe girls each having a centimeter more length in boobs to each other and their own colour to keep everything coded. They are actual characters who have depth and personality. So I dont see the problem……

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Some of its pretty creative to, I mean remember that mad tooth brush siscon scene? That was off the wall, but in a good way.

• Airies says:

that scene won an oscar for sure

• psgels psgels says:

That’s indeed the big problem I have with this series: it’s got depth when it wants to. It looks great when it wants to. It just gets on my nerves so much that I can’t enjoy it.

• FreshSushi says:

To be honest, even though the -monogatari series is one of my favorites, I’d rather him just drop it. I already get the point that he really hates it and it feels like he’s just repeating himself now.

• someloser says:

if possible, could you tell me how you find the monogatari series deep? seriously, rolling on the floor seriously makes my back hurt

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Someloser:Never said it was deep in the way you might be implying I said it, just that the characterization in it has more depth than the usual harem.

• someloser says:

well i was referring to not intheface, but still generic harem characters weren’t really deep to begin with.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

Depends on what you mean by “deep.” That’s pretty much just a throwaway word now as is “generic harem.”

Probably a better word he could’ve used is “complex,” as in, nisioisin doesn’t mind throwing random shit at his characters until it somehow starts to stick and make sense (which I think is the cool part).

8. Alec says:

Expected Amnesia to become a typical reverse-harem anime later on. But no, it’s actually getting interesting. I love the atmosphere

9. Gavrilo says:

I’m still a bit annoyed by the fact that psgels considers “I don’t find it funny” equal to “It’s not funny”; there’s no way the reader can know if the show is worth watching like this, unless he is completely certain that psgels is the master of the universe and knows what’s best for him without having to explain. But then again, these are quick comments, so it’s partially forgiven.

Anyway, from this season I’m expecting a lot from The Unlimited and Amnesia. Kotoura-san and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha are also good, but not very ambitious so far (of course, they manage to have a charm of their own).

• Airies says:

I agree with you on your first paragraph. I feel that these types of remarks usually mean nothing to the reader because unless they try it for themselves they are just going to agree even though the comedy used could be their favourite and not someone elses. that why whenever a season starts I pretty much disagree with all the potentials given to the titles psgels watches.

10. gdgd says:

Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan, incest!? If you were looking for an excuse to drop this series, incest isn’t a valid one. You could have said something like it is a cheap flash anime, but this series isn’t about some kind of romance between brother and sister. Actually they act like pretty normal siblings.

Saint Seiya Omega 8!? I know you haven’t watched the original series, but Omega is an insult to the classic series. I don’t know what is the “thing” that makes you watch it.

And you are super biased with Love Live! While it isn’t something great, you shouldn’t really compared it with AKB like they were the same.
    It is like saying Inazuma Eleven is better than Captain Tsubasa because they fight evil organizations.

• Airies says:

OMG, I’m so with you on everything you said! like with saint seiya omega, wow a tear from the eye placed it at 8th WTH!! Like I get moved by certain scenes in anime all the time but I never go wow that one scene made up for 37 episodes *sob*, but thats just me lol. Also I actually think its quite offensive to say “screw incest” because incest is a very real thing and can upset people when talk about it as wrong. AKB and LL shouldnt be compared at all, thats what pisses me off the most because it instantly was grouped with another show when they’re both soooooooo different.

11. kraken says:

You should watch the original Saint seiya anime after Omega if you love tears jerking moments. the original anime have something like 30 moment like the episode 40(especially during the Asgard arc).

Even if I love Omega, the sanctuary arc of Omega is really inferior to the one from the original series, same thing for the soundtrack (even if the soundtrack of omega is very good, the one of the original anime was divine)

And as Shigeyasu Yamauchi was heavily involved on the original anime so some episodes were marvelous (especially with Shingo araki and Michi himeno to the chara design, Araki was one of the model for umakoshi)

stop nonsenses gdgd. I am a big fan of saint seiya since I was kid (I am 30), and no, Omega is not an insult to the original series, it’s inferior to the original because some element(ninja, some rushed fight, less good music, less blood and intense fight) but the series is still a very good sequel with good art direction and some very good character (Alia, Sonia, Eden, Soma, Mykene, Medea)

12. Silty says:

Amnesia: The eyes. I feel like they just invented a new animation technique.

Also, anyone who thinks that guys falling in love with an otome game lead is unrealistic, here’s food for thought: otome game leads are actually moeblobs! Just think about it. The main character both looks and acts kawaii, though in a very non-hyper way. Plus she has severe ADD, which scores her even more moe points.

Tamako Market: this is better than K-On, because the characters are a lot more varied. I don’t know why it’s getting so little love compared to K-On. Possibly because the girls get less screen time? I guess there’s not a huge audience for moe shows that don’t go all-out moe 24/7 like Lucky Star, K-On, and Ikamusume (oh, are those considered the big 3 of moe like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach are the big 3 of shonen?).

Maoyuu: so far, a worse adaptation than even SAO. SAO was haphazardly done, while Maoyuu is just boring. I had a ton of fun reading the manga adaptation, yet the anime adaptation bored me to tears. The difference is to a degree that I have never experienced before.

• Gavrilo says:

As a matter of fact, I don’t even know why I prefer K-On over Tamako Market, which I’ve recently dropped due to finding it boring. Compared to K-On, Tamako Market doesn’t rely only on the cuteness of girls, has a diversified cast, a richer setting and actually tries to do humor… But I can’t feel connected to any of it.

• mike says:

Maoyuu only has cheap romance at the begining after that its like any other. In terms of adaptation, I don’t know because Ive never read the source. In terms of narrative, sorry man, Maoyuu is way way better than SAO abomination.

• Silty says:

Maoyuu: I’m only talking about what’s currently out. It’s highly possible that future episodes will be more adaptation-friendly and redeem the show.

And I’d love to just read the source material, but I couldn’t find it translated anywhere, and I don’t know enough kanji to start reading anything without furigana yet. I could read shonen manga untranslated if I really wanted to, but light novels are a little bit out of reach.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

@Silly there’s a couple of chapters translated on Baka-Tsuki. The format might not be what you’re expecting though, but apparently that’s how it is.

Anime adaptation seems to be fairly faithful. The format of manga usually feels more fast-paced as you can read at your own speed and there’s a lot of implicit information being processed between panels.

• Airies says:

I agree, maoyuu is better than SAO, but they’re both pretty bad.

13. Kaiserin Emma says:

Silty that was an exceptionally good point about amnesia lol.

14. sushiyassin55 says:

Chihayafuru and Hunter X Hunter is given too low of a rating, Tamako Market and Amnesia too high.

15. rubix says:

I’m raising my eyebrow at the ‘dropped?’ for Nekomonogatari(Black). I don’t think it’s as long as you think it is…

In fact, I’d say you might as well finish this particular arc it since you’re practically at the climax and fall.

The other -monogatari seasons be damned, Neko(Black) was shown in one sitting separate from everything else and I think it’s best to watch it in one sitting as well. But you seemed to have walked out of the theatre not because you thought Nekomonogatari was bad, but because you realized that there were other movies and tv show sequels that are coming out in the future. I don’t particular think this is fair.

That is to say… even if you know that Harry Potter is going to be split up into eight movies, you should try not to get bogged down on the amount of content and just judge each part by its own merits.

Well, that’s what I think anyway.

• notintheface11 says:

Agreed. I was really confused about that as well. Even though I found this particular monogatari to be the one least worth watching, i don’t know why you wouldn’t just finish it since it’s essentially just a movie. Makes me think that psgels just read it off a list somewhere and wrote it off.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

It really is short in comparison to other stuff he’s watching…so I’m going to assume psgels will eventually get back to it, being the tsundere he is :p. I agree with rubix, if you’ve come this far, might as well sit it out.

16. Cytl says:

The series I’ve been surprised about this season, not saying is my favorite, is Mondaiji-tachi (and I wasn’t even planning to watch it), I was worried by how perfect the main character is but so far he has intentionally kept himself away from the action which makes him feel like a really powerful side-character, something I like. Things can still go either way and many things could be better but so far I’m kinda enjoying it.

On the other hand I’ve been a little disappointed by Sasami-san a series that at some points I’ve even defend, specially in the story-telling. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha has been pretty much what I expected and Tamako Market has been lovely so far, I specially liked the last episode and how it subtly showed how Anko’s been forced to grow up (with both the pros and cons about it).

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

Mondaji also gave me a surprise. I think psgels hit it on the nail when he said it’s like Dog Days. Enough interaction to satisfy and some well-executed (not groundbreaking for sure, for those who zero in on that) tropes.

• jzar says:

Mondaiji-tachi…

I like it too. It has been my surprise pick for the season. I found it interesting and I like having a kick ass main character. Makes for a nice change from waiting 18 episodes to become good at a fight.

17. Utena says:

“Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara…” is not that bad. At least, it has rather realistic and interesting characters without all these “tsundere”/”yandere” cliches. And games are not so light-hearted as they seem in first ep.

18. rufe says:

did you even watch okaka okan? There is no hint of incest……..

19. wicked says:

oh man, mistake dropping Sasami at the 2nd episode, like quitting 6th sense before knowing Bruce Willis was dead

basically missed all the plot

yep exactly!

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

No, I never finished that movie! (Just kidding). Lots of things get explained in 3, but the overall atmosphere hadn’t really changed. If the plot was psgels’ issue, probably understandable to continue, but seems like sasami’s the kind that’s just out of kink with his preferences.

• wicked says:

It’s something he’ll miss out on, because the script is continually flipped, and it would always start off as something random and stupid premise but will flip the premise completely to a serious plot point

20. Houlgrave says:

If you guys are going to bother criticizing Psgels, you shouldn’t do so on the basis that his opinion is different than yours. Like many of you, I think Amnesia is pretty awful (both as a VN AND as an anime adaptation): it fails to do anything remotely interesting as a narrative. Secondly, I would probably have Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara… higher up, seeing that its fairly fun despite the ridiculous premise.

That being said, Psgels simply looks for different attributes in his entertainment than, for example, me. I’m all about premise, narrative and execution: Psgels is more about atmosphere and immediacy of entertainment within his favorite genre-set. But then again, I’m not the one running an anime blog, so I’m not in any position to criticize what he chooses to spend his time reviewing…and neither are any of you.

• rubix says:

I don’t think that’s the right way to think about opinions. Commenters have a right to express themselves just as much as bloggers have a right to post their stuff. Different opinions have a place in opening other point of views there’s nothing inherently wrong about that.

What really matters is respect. And it’s a two way street. Being open to accept that there are others that think differently while keeping your own thoughts and adjusting there on.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

I also agree with rubix. Being a blogger means almost exactly the opposite imo, Houlgrave. If he wasn’t open to criticism in the first place, there’d be no point in running the blog online. if it was just something to write his thoughts down in, a diary is more fitting. publishing online is indicative of being open to comments and discussion.

• Houlgrave says:

You guys seem to have missed my main point: I never said that people weren’t allowed to be critical here, but not on on the basis that his opinion is different than yours is. You can be critical the reasoning behind his choices and educate him if you know he’s wrong in his evaluation of a particular anime’s worth, but a lot of people here are literally in hate mode simply because he isn’t choosing to blog or cover specific anime that they would have covered in his stead….and I think that’s kinda silly.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

@Houlgrave well, when a lot of his reasoning gets reduced down to something like “bad jokes,” “boobs,” “just something about it,” I think some of the criticism is valid. I know it’s probably just because he’s had to justify these statements many times before, but for people that don’t know that, it does seem like psgels just hating on a series/genre/etc.

21. Reihsn says:

you’re not wrong in everything you said, but if you dropped a series that is 2 minute long, and takes like 15 minutes to get
    to day with it (i think you watched what, 30 seconds? since i can’t find an answer as of why you’d think it’s an incest) that aside, your “reviews” are nothing but a bunch of opinions, instead of an actual description of the series.

you destroy series for basically nothing but for example “defies the laws of physics” when you can clearly see that following something logic isn’t the point of that anime in particular( for example your review on Mondaiji *yeah, because people controlloing other’s mind a la C. geass is so logical*)

I can’t say i disagree with every “review” you make; but if you’re really going to praise a series for nothing but the studio that animated it, or just because it is something of the genre you like, i can’t take your opinion seriously.

instead of giving an actual review and saying both pro’s and cons of a series, you either decide not to talk at about the cons of a series you like, or the pros on a series you hate.
    Thanks for reading.

• Airies says:

this is really true psgels. You dont give shows a proper go, yes you watch them but you pretty much walk in hating it without if even knowing how it plays out. You are too set with staff, studio and crappy blurb that means nothing than actually trying the show out with no expectations.

22. Taara535 says:

Eh I mostly agree. This is not a good season. But then again, any season where the continuations are phenomenal can really patch over terrible new shows. The fact is in Space Brothers, From the New World, and Chihayafuru, we are watching three amazing shows, and three of which may even become anime classics!

23. The Flash says:

Aww I rather enjoyed Maoyuu, but that’s just me. Probably my favourite show right now aside from JoJo

24. someloser says:

ah yes and airies, would you mind explaining to me why sasami is worth watching, considering you’re the main defender here? truthfully i feel psgels is justified with this dropping. show isn’t exactly amazing, and it feels like something you would just have fun and herp around with rather than something thats trying to be well written, insightful, or groundbreaking. in short i cant feel any potential from this, even with 3 episodes in. I remember watching kazoku nikki long time ago, and it feels like it’s happening all over again

• MCAL says:

Agreed. And I know this might come as a shock to Shaft fans, but there are a great many people who find Shaft horrible and Akiyuki Shinbo pretentious and a guy who thinks he is clever, when more often than not (With exceptions to Pani Dash, Madoka and Soredemo) he is just plain annoying.

• KaZuHiRo says:

Studio and director bias has always been kind of trademark of psgels especially his love-hate relationship with Shaft and Shinbo. I won’t criticize nor lambast psgels just because his opinion is different from mine.

I adored the majority of Shaft’s and Shinbo’s works though. Whereas psgels just dismissed most of them. I mean, for me, Arakawa Under the Bridge is the best comedy I ever saw (watched it probably three times now, or more). I also liked SoreMachi, MariaHolic, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (although the sequels were a trainwreck) but hated the -gatari series (I just cannot warm up to the characters).

So don’t go bananas just psgels won’t paint rainbows and butterflies over your pick of the season. It’s ok to criticize but just don’t go over the top. This is still his blog – and we’re just the viewers/readers.

Here’s some popcorn.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

^which I don’t really understand. why’s a guy who has fun with adaptations and brings modern design into animation considered clever or pretentious? I fully agree that the show is just having fun and herp around. where did the idea come from that it was trying to be groundbreaking at all?

• someloser says:

the point was supposed to be that it isn’t trying to be groundbreaking, which is the reason that psgels is dropping it. if a show is just trying to herp around and have fun, that’s not much of a reason for him to continue watching, which justifies his decision

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

@someloser I think that’s a misleading statement. I don’t think it’s so much that the show has to be groundbreaking for psgels to watch it, it’s just the kind of fun sasami has isn’t to his tastes. now if you meant it’s a reason not to blog about it, it’d make sense, but I doubt everything psgels watches is groundbreaking.

• someloser says:

yeah i might have worded it a bit wrong and should have said “it’s just fun” rather than “not groundbreaking”

• Airies says:

WHAT!? I have never heard psgel say ever that he only watches shows that are groundbreaking. Where did this come from!? Why is he watching Magi or sakurasou then? ALso I agree with Juno, why cant shinbo just love his job and fuck around with things he likes? Did he ever even say he was clevver? I’m a shaft fan and im not shocked that people hate them. LOL im really confused now with your arguement. This was directed at both SOMELOSER and MCAL

• someloser says:

i never said he watches only groundbreaking work either, so stop twisting around words.

jesus, i think you guys are seriously misunderstanding something here. The show sasami is fun, but that’s it. It doesn’t seem to offer anything much other than that. When i placed up my original statement, I said that it doesnt seem to be groundbreaking, insightful nor well written, rather all it does is herp around and have fun, which really isn’t much of a reason to keep watching the show. Psgels said sakkurasou was full of energy and went in a different direction, while magi was a unique portrayal of arabic folklore.

• Airies says:

Puh-leassse we both know that both those things arent true. Magi is just another generic shounen anime that really brings nothing to the table except boring political shit and sakurasou is another generic shounen romance that fails to standout amongst its many friends that have all done the same shit its doing. We arent twisting your words around, you wrote them that way.

• someloser says:

No, those were the reasons why psgels decided to continue watching them. he thought it would be an interesting take on Arabic folklore and he believed that sakurasou would be a new direction. whether or not they ended up being a bland shonen, or a generic harem, they showed potential at first, which is why he decided not to drop them.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

@someloser and I think you’re misunderstanding the fact that there’s a difference between “seeing potential in a series” and just not being interested in what it has to offer.

• someloser says:

then if possible, tell me what sasami has to offer then.

• someloser says:

after thinking about it for a while, i think you’re correct that the phrase “what is has to offer” would be better, but i still dont see much that it has to offer other than herp and derp fun.

25. MCAL says:

Now for my actual opinion on several shows. I find the conventionality in Maoyuu helps in making all the exposition less boring, which it tends to be. Although I also find that Mao is unrealistically persuasive sometimes. She gets Hero and Merchant to go along with her way too easily.

I don’t see the male lead as bad at all in Kotoura-san. He’s likable and nice in a way that isn’t like every generic male lead in anime. He isn’t afraid to speak his mind and be open about all his ecchi thoughts which for Kotoura is welcome. He isn’t an idiot, unlike Kotoura sometimes (Although I atribute that to her upbringing, so I don’t mean that as a negative) Also I find the fanservice in this show fresh (As in it is based on thoughts that many males sometimes can have) and pretty funny (That wolf and sheep fantasy moment had me in histerics). It’s the side characters I have problems with (Especially Moritani, that bitch) and to be honest the pacing is going faster than a race car on crack.

As for Little Busters, I agree that the series has charm. In fact, it is filled to the brim with charm and the Mio route was very good. But really all of that wouldn’t matter to me if it weren’t for one character, Kurugaya. Honestly, every scene with her is made of pure win and since it seems her arc is near the end, I’d watch the series even if it was horrible. It also helps that she and Riki have nice chemistry. Also, they are similar in where they are comfortable hanging out with all of the guys or all of the girls. Which gets me to the next point, Riki. He is so unlike any harem lead in which he doesn’t stammer like an idiot around a bunch of cute, moe girls. Take episode 15 for example where the girls kidnap (For lack of a better word and the most predictable thing he does is blush when he mistakenly has ecchi thoughts, but it wasn’t even that bad and that’s it. I mean can any of you think of another male harem lead like that. It also helps that episode 15 was hilarious. So far I rank it a 7.67 out of ten. I also think J C Staff has made the anime better with their direction. It definitely has been less melodramtic whch is always a good thing (Especiaaly that bench scene which people are over reacting to how bad it was compared to the VN. It’s just a bench people.

• MCAL says:

Also whoever said Psycho Pass should be on the bottom of the list must think Ikki Tousen is the best anime ever.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@MCAL: I’ve been very vocal about Gen Urobochi over on the shoutbox many many times. And I was disgusted by Ikkitousen (and stuff like qwaser, queens blade, dakara H). I also never meant it should be at the bottom, only that I would personally rank it lower.
        My thing is slice of life/drama and comedies/gothic horror fantasy/romance/dramas/slice of of life in the shoujo/josei demographic and LGBT related manga.
        Not really into sci-fi or psychological stuff that much unless its in the drama or slice of life genre.
        Short version most dark seinen stuff isn’t my thing.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

That said I think you’ve got a good point about little busters, however the weak voice acting has had me place that on hold.

• MCAL says:

Sorry about that. I was just really curious why you thought Psycho Pass should be at the bottom, but if you just meant it should be a little bit lower than that makes sense. Agree with you opinion on voice actors (I like Riki, Kyousuke, Kurugaya (Although maybe my bias is acting up), and I like Haruka and Futaki’s VA (Not for the way they sound, but for how the seiyuu can make both their voices so different). So that’s like five out of 14.

• MCAL says:

Of course, I am still watching it though.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

With regards to Sakurasou and Magi, I would consider Sakurasou the better of the two as its one of those rare case where the comedy and drama don’t keep tripping over each other. Magi just doesn’t get the balance right from what I saw of it, its another case of trying to be clever but it really isn’t in my opinion.

26. TheUltimateReaper says:

psgels, I am sad that you dropped Yuusha, then again I have yet to watch EP 3. Honestly psgels, as much as you can disappoint or aggravate me sometimes, I have to commend you for actually checking out all of those series. If I read the premise and it sounds stupid it’s an automatic drop. Almost missed a couple of series that way, and thats where people like you come in, so thanks mate.

27. Kaiserin Emma says:

I’m fairly guilty though, like psgels with regards to ARMs myself though , I did actually take no more than a quick glance at Esthetica, the lead female characters design and was kind irritated/sent off signals.

28. jonas says:

About Sasami@Ganbaranai,episode 4 gives a background to the incest jokes, and the submissive brother (and why he is always covering his face).

29. kazid says:

Welll after watch five episodes so far of the season i would say for me the best in this season are:

Chihayafuru s2 As expected
    Zettai Karen children the unlimited A great surprise
    and Maoyuu Maou, Slow but Very very interesting.

The rest are pretty normal, some ones to painfull to watch.

Customize
And in Visual novel news, Dies Irae is getting a localisation. That's another one off the VN bucket list. I heard it was notoriously hard to translate. Though people are making a stink over it being all ages but I couldn't care less. All ages just means no shoehorned sex scenes and that's fine in my book.
@Topgavin, I never quite got that from Honoka but I prefer a character to be imperfect rather than perfect. Saints are boring and having a character always do right is predictable. While I somewhat understand the appeal, one thing that never sat right with me regarding "cute girls,cute things" shows is how utterly manufactured the characters are.
Started watching Love Live and it's made me wonder; is it better to have an mc that does things annoyingly wrong or satisfyingly wrong? Like, Yui from k-on does a lot wrong but it never leads to anything wrong or bad, but Honoka's rather selfish and ends up screwing things up for people. I know doing this is good for char. development but I honestly enjoy these shows more as moeblob peacefulness.
Hey
afgm
i did summer session so I have a midterm every two weeks
@afgm Midterms? Most university/college systems would be starting school right around this time.
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 22 3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 22

Well the battle against the witches cult has started and…ended. I didn’t quite expect my words in the last episode review to turn out prophetic as Betelgeuse and his minions are taken out so quickly and anticlimactically considering how much this arc has built them up to be the main villain. Through Subaru seems to […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]