Posted by psgels on 10 February 2013 with categories: Robotics;Notes

And with this, the focus on the robot building suddenly returns. This is what I meant by the previous episodes feeling a bit like acheckist, because I nearly forgot that that was also going on, even though it wsa the main focus of the series. They could have shown a bit more about the progress of the construction while they were doing the stories of the other characters.

Having said that though, the supercandy robot launch really was worth the wait and I really liked the moment in which the thing actually moved properly. And either way, the atmosphere of this episode was really, realyl good. Probably the best this show has been so far. The sense of impending doom worked really well for the largest part of this episode. And then “it” happened…

Just holy crap. I did not see that coming. Both of it. I did not expect this series to be such a deconstruction that it would actually tackle what would happen if such a giant robot would fall over. It also did not come to my mind that the robots going out of control also would mean that Kai’s legs would start to act funny. The ending of this episode was just amazing.

That’s the power of the build-up of this show’s first half, in which it tried to be realistic and believable without much of the drama. Because of that we now know the characters, which makes it all the more disturbing what happened. And to make things even worse there was that point in which Kai’s legs actually forced her to stand up again, hurting her spine in the process. I did not expect such a detail whatsoever in a show that so far had no blood or gore whatsoever. The impact of that single thing was much larger than, say, a show that consistently has people hurting each other.

Robotics;Notes, I applaud you.
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. Kaiserin Emma says:

Its a good episode review but there is a slight error where you mention Kai instead of Mizuka.
    I completely agree with you with regards to the buildup, interesting what you said about deconstruction of the mecha genre.

2. Spike says:

I was literally yelling at the Kai “knock her over! Then her legs won’t move!” Then he does and the thing stands back up with a snap that made me cringe… I was like… oh shi… *mouth agape*

3. rufe says:

@Spike….Me too T_T

I had really bad Lord of the Files flashbacks at that last scene.

4. Pafiume says:

I was screaming at him to knock her down too! Like, I imagine he must have been flustered, but come on. If from the front doesn’t work, for some reason, go from the side. If she is suddenly getting up and walking again, turn her around when she’s laying down. I dunno though, I suppose they were aiming for the water, not just walking in a random direction. I’m excited to see where it goes from here. I was just thinking how Steins;gate had already picked up by this point, much earlier even. Finally it’s really getting interesting. I’ve fallen asleep watching the past three episodes or so…

• alexvoda says:

Flustered? He saved a naked Kona from drowning/wrist slashing suicide.
      He knows how to be reliable when people are in fatal danger around him.

5. alexvoda says:

For me this was probably the worst episode of R;N for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I predicted someone will die in this episode. Psycho Pass and R;N always strangely mirrored each other, so after what happened in the last PP episode I expected a secondary character to die in R;N.
    This is not the fault of R;N, it is just something that diminished that surprise for me.

Secondly, the scene with Mizuka completely broke my suspension of disbelief with 2 things. One, that exoskeleton does not have sensors to know where it is going, it is controlled by a joystick. As others said, knock her to the side, rotate her, or something like that. Even if it had internet connection (which it shouldn’t because it wastes battery) in order to be virused it shouldn’t know in which direction it is going.
    Two, the way she got back up is implausible. The weight distribution of the human body doesn’t allow it, no matter how much strength your lags may have. Unless you are a trained gymnast and willing to do it you can not stand form a bridge back position no matter how powerful that exoskeleton is. She would have just lifted up and than fallen back down, especially the way he was sitting on top of her.

And another thing, those monopoles (never mind that they are supposed one of the rarest things in the entire universe – that is perfectly acceptable), they are supposed to be magnets with only one pole, therefore should either attract or repel each other, but they behaved like the had no magnetism at all.

I am sorry to say but I am kinda disappointed by R;N, it just breaks my suspension of disbelief.

• alexvoda says:

In the defense of the show, I should add that the part with the toppling giant robot was very well done.

However I think she will be the only death, he will survive somehow.

• alexvoda says:

The more I think about it the more stupid it gets. I would have accepted quite a lot of things. from the exoskeleton overloading and making the batteries explode to it being neurologically linked and mind controlling her to commit suicide. Both of those would have been more plausible.

• alexvoda says:

Here is what a lithium battery explosion looks like, flames and very very much smoke:

This would have been much more preferable than slowly waking towards a conveniently placed hole in a fence without any attempt to force her to change direction. She could still knock him away so he doesn’t burn with her.
          That was just a massively idiotic scene.

• Green says:

You do have to consider that this is set in an era that technology have gone through significant advancement. I believe that the exoskeleton is connected to iru O.(updating software?) And I think it is unfair to criticize it without having much knowledge of the culprit and his/her/its motive yet. For example, We still don’t know whether the culprit is a human or an a.i. It might turn out extremely stupid, but its still too early to judge it.

However, the part where the exoskeleton defies centre of gravity was pretty weird. The only way she could keep her balance is if the sole of the exoskeleton is extremely heavy. If that is the case Kai would not have the strength to lift her up. That’s pretty basic physics, considering that an economics major like me knows these stuff.

Despite the problem I had with that scene, I think that the whole Mizuka incident did invoke huge emotional impact on me. I believe that the little lapse in physics will not impede the flow of the story….. Not yet. Let’s leave the criticism after episode 22.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

pretty much this!

I was going wtf people for that whole scene!

I can’t believe people actually believe that b.s. scene and tried to defend it

*facepalm*

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

Agreed. The whole scene was just incredible stupid to me. Questions like, who put that convenient gap in the fence, how can those legs keep perfect balance despite the fact that is absolutely impossible no matter what techno gadgetry you have, why is Kai just standing there staring when she just clearly told him that her legs wouldn’t stop?

That said Steins;gate had moments like this. It’s just that White fox was clever and managed to omit or keep them out of the anime. Things like a black hole being able to compress not only matter, but also data. Being able to activate a complex Hadron collider in another country remotely from japan. Or that if you must die at this time then you will die regardless of whether your death was natural or not. In the event nothing is there to kill you you will just suffocate on the spot. Oh and you can’t kill anyone who isn’t meant to die because something will always prevent you from doing so. Or that persons arc only in the visual novel which consisted of someone managing to time leap thousands of times despite that being well…pretty impossible.

The writer tends to do his research but when time comes to turn up the drama he then disregards common sense in favor of dramatic effect.

• alexvoda says:

Thank you for enlightening me that White Fox had such a very significant contribution to making the S;G anime what it is.
        I knew they were the ones who adapted it, and the ones responsible for the gray filter, but I didn’t realize their contribution was so significant.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

That s:g stuff is interesting. Although, some of what was mentioned are somewhat valid theories if you inject quantum physics(the observer effect specifically) into the mix.. . .that is if okabe was the observer, he kept “observing” mayuri’s death by trying to prevent it so strongly that he couldnt get his mind to “observe” her living. kinda like saying “don’t think of the white rabbit” over and over and really that’s the only thing you DO think about haha. To me all the schemes was just an elaborate plan to get okabe to “observe” the outcome he wanted, so that when he “time traveled” he finally went to a universe that had the outcome he wanted, as the mind tricks at the end allowed him to observe that outcome. the other stuff though, yeah its good that white fox took that out.

that and the whole “it’s 20 years in the future, they could have invented something like that” did NOT read alex’s comment thoroughly enough.

besides if you have to speculate “well x implausible event could have been ok because its in the not so distant future” is bad writing, especially after the show went to great lengths to talk about the weight distribution of ROBOTS and then have the human leg thing disregard that.

yeah. . .no.

• MCAL says:

I am no expert on physics, so be free to call bullshit on what I am saying. But it seems to me like the exoskeleton was holding Mizuka up. If that is the case, isn’t it possible for the legs to bring her body back up if they are her support.

• HunterWulf says:

Well, you are just ignoring a lot of things, first it is pretty clear that online connectivity is common-place in R;N world and almost every device is connected to an online network (including all the small Pokecoms) .. so don’t give me the “it wastes batteries” excuse .. it is very obvious her exo-skeleton legs were hacked remotely and someone was intentionally controlling them and taking her in the direction of the opening in the fence of the cliff .. we already have seen that the 300 committee have tech even more advanced that the norm in R;N world (which is already years ahead of our world) .. and they hacked the robots in Tokyo before … all the exo-skeleton “accidents” might as well have been staged and meant to assassinate certain people who get too close to the truth, so this side of the scene is covered.

As for the part where her exo-skeleton forced to get up, your “no matter how much strength your lags may have” doesn’t make sense since we don’t know how powerful those mechanical legs are .. if it’s a matter of weight distribution then any weight can be lifted with if there is enough strength to counter it .. the point of lifting may indeed affect how much force is needed to balance things but there is on such thing as “the way she got back up is implausible”.

First .. the exo-skeleton has full control of her lower-half up to her waist, she can’t resist any of its movements, so if her legs are on the ground her thighs will follow since they are too connected to the exoskeleton (which is turn is why her back was broken since she tried to resist with her own weight and Kai’s weight) .. now imagine the rest of her body and Kai as a mass attached to lift with a powerful joints and it just becomes a math problem of how much force you need to lift that mass .. and why she won’t fall back .. simply becasue the joints in the exo-skeleton can lock movement in the opposite direction or lock movement altogether (specially at her feet) until the “lift” pushes her upper body up from the ground.

Second .. you can scream “but she is unbalanced and should take the exoskeleton and fall back on the ground” .. fact is the exo-skeleton bracer reaches above her waist line and above her center of mass (which is further down becasue of the weight of the exo-skeleton legs) .. not to mention it was clear the final movement that got her up (and snapped her spine) was done with rapid movement and probably max-power output of the joints .. it was more like a catapult .. that gave no chance for her to fall back .. if it was done much slower .. surely she would have fallen back .. but this wasn’t the case here.

• info600 says:

I have to wonder, does the exo-skeleton have enough weight on the mechanical soles to generate the friction necessary for that kind of movement against the combined mass of Kai and Mizuka’s upper body (and part of the exo-skeleton as well, if it is that much heavier than we expected) ?

Cause I can easily image it slipping on the grass…

• Airies says:

WASTES BATTERY! HAHAHAH WTF WHO’S ASS DID YOU PULL THAT OUT FROM!?

• MCAL says:

Apparently yours, Airies.

• Airies says:

Really?

• MCAL says:

Really. I mean if you were being kind to the guy, I wouldn’t have said it. But you basically mocked a guy who was making a logical comment and he wasn’t even directing his comment at you. If you are going to disagree with something, the least you could do was be considerate to the guy and not act like an ass (pun intended).

• Airies says:

True I could of, but I felt it was too hilarious not to laugh and point out. I should try harder next time. Also It wasn’t pulled out of my ass because he made that comment before I even said anything, so your accusation is wrong. I was just being an ass. ;) lets just drop this now.

• MCAL says:

Okay. I DID make a horrible pun. Anyway, just try to be considerate next time is all I am asking.

6. Spaghetti says:

@HunterWulf: Excellent response bud. You actually used evidence supplied by the show to form a well-reasoned explanation of many of the things that people claim to be “impossible.” It’s all stuff they would have realized during those scenes, had they been paying attention.

Honestly though, people. Stop trying to apply real-world physics to something that’s fiction. In the real world, we don’t have the level of technology like they do in R;N. So it seems a little stupid to think that stuff in their world would behave exactly as they do in ours.

“From a technological pov R;N is waaaay worse than Steins;Gate. S;G only assumed you could build a time machine with consumer electronics and that’s it. R;N assumes a lot of things, to many things to remain plausible.”

People build robots all the time, and such things exist even in the real world (robotic prosthetics, AR devices on tablets,) if at a much more fundamental level. Also, we have hackers that regularly stir up trouble. However, as far as I know, time travel does not exist. And if it did, I’m sure the secret wouldn’t be discovered by some random chuuni otaku. If the latter scenario is more plausible to you, then I think you need to seriously re-evaluate what you consider to be “reality.”

@Airies: You should perhaps read all of the posts, then maybe you wouldn’t look like such an imbecile, posting in all caps like that. Also, it’s clear that he’s dismissing that idea in the body of his own post. Stop trying to act smart, please. It’s embarrassing to legitimately intelligent people.

Honestly, if you people have that much trouble suspending your disbelief with something like this, you might want to stop watching any anime at all. Or any fiction, for that matter. Something slightly unrealistic might happen, and then you’d be really disappointed.

• Airies says:

how am I acting smart? I was just laughing because there was no information about batteries in the episode or about the fact it uses internet which waste batteries. Whats really embarrassing is you suggesting people stop watching cartoons or any fiction because they felt trolled by the end of the episode and wanted to share that. Obviously people cant be mad or have a negative opinion with being called names which is disgusting. Grow up I was just having a laugh!

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

“You people need to calm down. It’s a cartoon for christ’s sake; obviously some unrealistic things are going to occur.”

And there’s were I stop reading and disregard your opinion.
      Don’t want to be captain obvious here but it’s not a cartoon, it’s an anime. On that note it doesn’t make a difference where it is animated or not. There is no reason why animated feature cannot be judged by the same standards as other mediums. What I am trying to say here is that pointing out that it’s animated doesn’t justify a serious flaw in storytelling.
      And frankly this statement is ignorant and degrading to anime.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Highfinder: I know what your getting at but phrasing it that way is going to send off some signals. Anime means animation and an animation is a cartoon, anime is a Japanese cartoon therefore anime is a cartoon.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

That comment of mine wasn’t aiming to be pretentious or insulting just to clear that up just in case. Whenever I hear anime defined people use the words “Japanese cartoon” it feels like that makes sense them because manga are really “Japanese comics”.

• psgels psgels says:

There is no point in making fun of each other’s arguments like that, people bring up valid points here. It’s just different for everyone how important those points are.

For me for example, I did find that S;G broke my suspense of disbelief. Not due to physics, but plot devices. There were enough people for who this wasn’t the case.

7. MCAL says:

I still don’t see what was wrong with the end. Clearly any argument could be countered with “Because of the hacked prosthetics.” And while I am at it, why are people complaining about realism when monopoles are falling from the sky.

• Airies says:

I agree with the ‘hacked’ theory also.

• hoiut says:

Also remember the Kagome call that preceded the “malfunction.”

While there’s no guarantee such prosthetics would be connected to the net (heck, what an obvious security risk), it’s perfectly plausible Misa gave them to her as a “security blanket” for the purpose of killing her in the event that she’d spill the beans on some big secret (Kou).

How this was accomplished may have something to do with the ubiquity of PokeComs, which are always connected to the net and have microphones, speakers, and GPS. This pretty much ensures that with the right listening gear/virus, a signal could be sent from the device to any machines in the vicinity programmed to listen.

Now recall the timely Kagome Kagome call, which when answered produced the dial-up handshake. A listener (modem) that hears the handshake could receive a significant amount of data (instructions) encoded in the noise. In this case, there was likely a modem chip installed in the prosthetic legs.

Now, in extension, it wouldn’t be far-fetched to propose that similarly delivered instructions (perhaps even via the same Kagome Kagome modem event) were responsible for the “mass malfunction” of other robotic products produced by the same company/chipmaker.

Now the conspiracy theory makes a little more sense, eh?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if anything I’ve said is correct.

8. MCAL says:

You know. I think that this episode has caused such a debate makes it a rousing success.

• MCAL says:

Also I’ll never unhear that spine cracking sound.

• hoiut says:

Hooray for cross-blog comment re-posting! :-)

Yes, very true. But then I was led to recall a few more highly debated anime which generated considerable debate — SOA and Guilty Crown. Both were certainly (commercially/demographically) “rousing successes.” But as for the quality of the stories…yeah.

That said, this one is great. I love R;N. I also don’t see a lot of debate. Some people are saying “that can’t happen!” and others are either retorting “So what?” or “It can too!”. Nobody here can know. I’ve seen strange designs coming out of darpa — incredibly strong, lightweight designs that can, for instance, jump hundreds of feet in the air in less than a second. Boggles the mind. Twenty years ago, nothing. Twenty years from now…I don’t even want to imagine.

Seemed plausible enough to me, barring perhaps a minor animation-related adaptation issue or two. The scene had PUNCH baby.

9. Blue Bomber says:

Here’s my theory: Misa’s boss wanted her to get rid of Kai at the beginning of the ep, but pulled back at the last second. Last we hear about that for the rest of the ep. Kagome, Kagome + modem sound transmission on Kai’s and Mizuka’s tablets right before the accident. We haven’t been told where those transmissions are coming from, but if it’s from Misa’s company, then her boss pretty much used it as a heavy-handed deterrent to scare Kai off, instead of killing him (and in the process, hurting Akiho).

As far as the legs not knowing where to go, they most likely used the GPS signal from the tablets to steer her in the right direction. Also, remember that Kai is just a kid, and Misa’s an adult: taller, and most likely heavier, especially with the weight of the legs significantly lowering her center of gravity. I’m guessing that the legs were pretty heavy, since the grip on her “shoes” were far superior to Kai’s, even though they both had regular rubber soles. Of course, if he could just tip her over with a quick tackle, that would kill the suspense. ;) Though, you’d think something that could torque your body with that level of force would also have a back support to prevent spinal injury… 0.o

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Who knows maybe if the exoskelleton had some kind of catapult manouever as was mentioned, it also actually did have that preventative you suggested Blue bomber only it happened not to work. Perhaps due to hacking (which I’ve mentioned before on the shoutbox).

• Blue Bomber says:

Something else I just thought of: Kai couldn’t find the report icon initially, but once Mizuka got close enough (apparently), it was revealed. Probably along with triggering the transmission.

• hoiut says:

Aha, you beat me to the “spy tablet + tablet GPS + modem transmission to the legs” theory.

I’d like to take it a step further and propose that every spooky “occurrence” of a Kagome Kagome call is to control other robots/chips and outfit them with instructions, and this may underlie the past incidents revolving around malfunctioning prosthetics and other such devices.

Remember, Misa’s company is wrapped up in litigation about these malfunctions and not much info is forthcoming from the president, who is reserving his explanation for the behavior for the courtroom.

10. Saigo says:

Lol Aizen stahp doing cameos

Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100