Posted by psgels on 10 February 2013 with categories: Robotics;Notes

And with this, the focus on the robot building suddenly returns. This is what I meant by the previous episodes feeling a bit like acheckist, because I nearly forgot that that was also going on, even though it wsa the main focus of the series. They could have shown a bit more about the progress of the construction while they were doing the stories of the other characters.

Having said that though, the supercandy robot launch really was worth the wait and I really liked the moment in which the thing actually moved properly. And either way, the atmosphere of this episode was really, realyl good. Probably the best this show has been so far. The sense of impending doom worked really well for the largest part of this episode. And then “it” happened…

Just holy crap. I did not see that coming. Both of it. I did not expect this series to be such a deconstruction that it would actually tackle what would happen if such a giant robot would fall over. It also did not come to my mind that the robots going out of control also would mean that Kai’s legs would start to act funny. The ending of this episode was just amazing.

That’s the power of the build-up of this show’s first half, in which it tried to be realistic and believable without much of the drama. Because of that we now know the characters, which makes it all the more disturbing what happened. And to make things even worse there was that point in which Kai’s legs actually forced her to stand up again, hurting her spine in the process. I did not expect such a detail whatsoever in a show that so far had no blood or gore whatsoever. The impact of that single thing was much larger than, say, a show that consistently has people hurting each other.

Robotics;Notes, I applaud you.
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. Kaiserin Emma says:

Its a good episode review but there is a slight error where you mention Kai instead of Mizuka.
    I completely agree with you with regards to the buildup, interesting what you said about deconstruction of the mecha genre.

2. Spike says:

I was literally yelling at the Kai “knock her over! Then her legs won’t move!” Then he does and the thing stands back up with a snap that made me cringe… I was like… oh shi… *mouth agape*

3. rufe says:

@Spike….Me too T_T

I had really bad Lord of the Files flashbacks at that last scene.

4. Pafiume says:

I was screaming at him to knock her down too! Like, I imagine he must have been flustered, but come on. If from the front doesn’t work, for some reason, go from the side. If she is suddenly getting up and walking again, turn her around when she’s laying down. I dunno though, I suppose they were aiming for the water, not just walking in a random direction. I’m excited to see where it goes from here. I was just thinking how Steins;gate had already picked up by this point, much earlier even. Finally it’s really getting interesting. I’ve fallen asleep watching the past three episodes or so…

• alexvoda says:

Flustered? He saved a naked Kona from drowning/wrist slashing suicide.
      He knows how to be reliable when people are in fatal danger around him.

5. alexvoda says:

For me this was probably the worst episode of R;N for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I predicted someone will die in this episode. Psycho Pass and R;N always strangely mirrored each other, so after what happened in the last PP episode I expected a secondary character to die in R;N.
    This is not the fault of R;N, it is just something that diminished that surprise for me.

Secondly, the scene with Mizuka completely broke my suspension of disbelief with 2 things. One, that exoskeleton does not have sensors to know where it is going, it is controlled by a joystick. As others said, knock her to the side, rotate her, or something like that. Even if it had internet connection (which it shouldn’t because it wastes battery) in order to be virused it shouldn’t know in which direction it is going.
    Two, the way she got back up is implausible. The weight distribution of the human body doesn’t allow it, no matter how much strength your lags may have. Unless you are a trained gymnast and willing to do it you can not stand form a bridge back position no matter how powerful that exoskeleton is. She would have just lifted up and than fallen back down, especially the way he was sitting on top of her.

And another thing, those monopoles (never mind that they are supposed one of the rarest things in the entire universe – that is perfectly acceptable), they are supposed to be magnets with only one pole, therefore should either attract or repel each other, but they behaved like the had no magnetism at all.

I am sorry to say but I am kinda disappointed by R;N, it just breaks my suspension of disbelief.

• alexvoda says:

In the defense of the show, I should add that the part with the toppling giant robot was very well done.

However I think she will be the only death, he will survive somehow.

• alexvoda says:

The more I think about it the more stupid it gets. I would have accepted quite a lot of things. from the exoskeleton overloading and making the batteries explode to it being neurologically linked and mind controlling her to commit suicide. Both of those would have been more plausible.

• alexvoda says:

Here is what a lithium battery explosion looks like, flames and very very much smoke:

This would have been much more preferable than slowly waking towards a conveniently placed hole in a fence without any attempt to force her to change direction. She could still knock him away so he doesn’t burn with her.
          That was just a massively idiotic scene.

• Green says:

You do have to consider that this is set in an era that technology have gone through significant advancement. I believe that the exoskeleton is connected to iru O.(updating software?) And I think it is unfair to criticize it without having much knowledge of the culprit and his/her/its motive yet. For example, We still don’t know whether the culprit is a human or an a.i. It might turn out extremely stupid, but its still too early to judge it.

However, the part where the exoskeleton defies centre of gravity was pretty weird. The only way she could keep her balance is if the sole of the exoskeleton is extremely heavy. If that is the case Kai would not have the strength to lift her up. That’s pretty basic physics, considering that an economics major like me knows these stuff.

Despite the problem I had with that scene, I think that the whole Mizuka incident did invoke huge emotional impact on me. I believe that the little lapse in physics will not impede the flow of the story….. Not yet. Let’s leave the criticism after episode 22.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

pretty much this!

I was going wtf people for that whole scene!

I can’t believe people actually believe that b.s. scene and tried to defend it

*facepalm*

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

Agreed. The whole scene was just incredible stupid to me. Questions like, who put that convenient gap in the fence, how can those legs keep perfect balance despite the fact that is absolutely impossible no matter what techno gadgetry you have, why is Kai just standing there staring when she just clearly told him that her legs wouldn’t stop?

That said Steins;gate had moments like this. It’s just that White fox was clever and managed to omit or keep them out of the anime. Things like a black hole being able to compress not only matter, but also data. Being able to activate a complex Hadron collider in another country remotely from japan. Or that if you must die at this time then you will die regardless of whether your death was natural or not. In the event nothing is there to kill you you will just suffocate on the spot. Oh and you can’t kill anyone who isn’t meant to die because something will always prevent you from doing so. Or that persons arc only in the visual novel which consisted of someone managing to time leap thousands of times despite that being well…pretty impossible.

The writer tends to do his research but when time comes to turn up the drama he then disregards common sense in favor of dramatic effect.

• alexvoda says:

Thank you for enlightening me that White Fox had such a very significant contribution to making the S;G anime what it is.
        I knew they were the ones who adapted it, and the ones responsible for the gray filter, but I didn’t realize their contribution was so significant.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

That s:g stuff is interesting. Although, some of what was mentioned are somewhat valid theories if you inject quantum physics(the observer effect specifically) into the mix.. . .that is if okabe was the observer, he kept “observing” mayuri’s death by trying to prevent it so strongly that he couldnt get his mind to “observe” her living. kinda like saying “don’t think of the white rabbit” over and over and really that’s the only thing you DO think about haha. To me all the schemes was just an elaborate plan to get okabe to “observe” the outcome he wanted, so that when he “time traveled” he finally went to a universe that had the outcome he wanted, as the mind tricks at the end allowed him to observe that outcome. the other stuff though, yeah its good that white fox took that out.

that and the whole “it’s 20 years in the future, they could have invented something like that” did NOT read alex’s comment thoroughly enough.

besides if you have to speculate “well x implausible event could have been ok because its in the not so distant future” is bad writing, especially after the show went to great lengths to talk about the weight distribution of ROBOTS and then have the human leg thing disregard that.

yeah. . .no.

• MCAL says:

I am no expert on physics, so be free to call bullshit on what I am saying. But it seems to me like the exoskeleton was holding Mizuka up. If that is the case, isn’t it possible for the legs to bring her body back up if they are her support.

• HunterWulf says:

Well, you are just ignoring a lot of things, first it is pretty clear that online connectivity is common-place in R;N world and almost every device is connected to an online network (including all the small Pokecoms) .. so don’t give me the “it wastes batteries” excuse .. it is very obvious her exo-skeleton legs were hacked remotely and someone was intentionally controlling them and taking her in the direction of the opening in the fence of the cliff .. we already have seen that the 300 committee have tech even more advanced that the norm in R;N world (which is already years ahead of our world) .. and they hacked the robots in Tokyo before … all the exo-skeleton “accidents” might as well have been staged and meant to assassinate certain people who get too close to the truth, so this side of the scene is covered.

As for the part where her exo-skeleton forced to get up, your “no matter how much strength your lags may have” doesn’t make sense since we don’t know how powerful those mechanical legs are .. if it’s a matter of weight distribution then any weight can be lifted with if there is enough strength to counter it .. the point of lifting may indeed affect how much force is needed to balance things but there is on such thing as “the way she got back up is implausible”.

First .. the exo-skeleton has full control of her lower-half up to her waist, she can’t resist any of its movements, so if her legs are on the ground her thighs will follow since they are too connected to the exoskeleton (which is turn is why her back was broken since she tried to resist with her own weight and Kai’s weight) .. now imagine the rest of her body and Kai as a mass attached to lift with a powerful joints and it just becomes a math problem of how much force you need to lift that mass .. and why she won’t fall back .. simply becasue the joints in the exo-skeleton can lock movement in the opposite direction or lock movement altogether (specially at her feet) until the “lift” pushes her upper body up from the ground.

Second .. you can scream “but she is unbalanced and should take the exoskeleton and fall back on the ground” .. fact is the exo-skeleton bracer reaches above her waist line and above her center of mass (which is further down becasue of the weight of the exo-skeleton legs) .. not to mention it was clear the final movement that got her up (and snapped her spine) was done with rapid movement and probably max-power output of the joints .. it was more like a catapult .. that gave no chance for her to fall back .. if it was done much slower .. surely she would have fallen back .. but this wasn’t the case here.

• info600 says:

I have to wonder, does the exo-skeleton have enough weight on the mechanical soles to generate the friction necessary for that kind of movement against the combined mass of Kai and Mizuka’s upper body (and part of the exo-skeleton as well, if it is that much heavier than we expected) ?

Cause I can easily image it slipping on the grass…

• Airies says:

WASTES BATTERY! HAHAHAH WTF WHO’S ASS DID YOU PULL THAT OUT FROM!?

• MCAL says:

Apparently yours, Airies.

• Airies says:

Really?

• MCAL says:

Really. I mean if you were being kind to the guy, I wouldn’t have said it. But you basically mocked a guy who was making a logical comment and he wasn’t even directing his comment at you. If you are going to disagree with something, the least you could do was be considerate to the guy and not act like an ass (pun intended).

• Airies says:

True I could of, but I felt it was too hilarious not to laugh and point out. I should try harder next time. Also It wasn’t pulled out of my ass because he made that comment before I even said anything, so your accusation is wrong. I was just being an ass. ;) lets just drop this now.

• MCAL says:

Okay. I DID make a horrible pun. Anyway, just try to be considerate next time is all I am asking.

6. Spaghetti says:

@HunterWulf: Excellent response bud. You actually used evidence supplied by the show to form a well-reasoned explanation of many of the things that people claim to be “impossible.” It’s all stuff they would have realized during those scenes, had they been paying attention.

Honestly though, people. Stop trying to apply real-world physics to something that’s fiction. In the real world, we don’t have the level of technology like they do in R;N. So it seems a little stupid to think that stuff in their world would behave exactly as they do in ours.

“From a technological pov R;N is waaaay worse than Steins;Gate. S;G only assumed you could build a time machine with consumer electronics and that’s it. R;N assumes a lot of things, to many things to remain plausible.”

People build robots all the time, and such things exist even in the real world (robotic prosthetics, AR devices on tablets,) if at a much more fundamental level. Also, we have hackers that regularly stir up trouble. However, as far as I know, time travel does not exist. And if it did, I’m sure the secret wouldn’t be discovered by some random chuuni otaku. If the latter scenario is more plausible to you, then I think you need to seriously re-evaluate what you consider to be “reality.”

@Airies: You should perhaps read all of the posts, then maybe you wouldn’t look like such an imbecile, posting in all caps like that. Also, it’s clear that he’s dismissing that idea in the body of his own post. Stop trying to act smart, please. It’s embarrassing to legitimately intelligent people.

Honestly, if you people have that much trouble suspending your disbelief with something like this, you might want to stop watching any anime at all. Or any fiction, for that matter. Something slightly unrealistic might happen, and then you’d be really disappointed.

• Airies says:

how am I acting smart? I was just laughing because there was no information about batteries in the episode or about the fact it uses internet which waste batteries. Whats really embarrassing is you suggesting people stop watching cartoons or any fiction because they felt trolled by the end of the episode and wanted to share that. Obviously people cant be mad or have a negative opinion with being called names which is disgusting. Grow up I was just having a laugh!

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

“You people need to calm down. It’s a cartoon for christ’s sake; obviously some unrealistic things are going to occur.”

And there’s were I stop reading and disregard your opinion.
      Don’t want to be captain obvious here but it’s not a cartoon, it’s an anime. On that note it doesn’t make a difference where it is animated or not. There is no reason why animated feature cannot be judged by the same standards as other mediums. What I am trying to say here is that pointing out that it’s animated doesn’t justify a serious flaw in storytelling.
      And frankly this statement is ignorant and degrading to anime.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Highfinder: I know what your getting at but phrasing it that way is going to send off some signals. Anime means animation and an animation is a cartoon, anime is a Japanese cartoon therefore anime is a cartoon.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

That comment of mine wasn’t aiming to be pretentious or insulting just to clear that up just in case. Whenever I hear anime defined people use the words “Japanese cartoon” it feels like that makes sense them because manga are really “Japanese comics”.

• psgels psgels says:

There is no point in making fun of each other’s arguments like that, people bring up valid points here. It’s just different for everyone how important those points are.

For me for example, I did find that S;G broke my suspense of disbelief. Not due to physics, but plot devices. There were enough people for who this wasn’t the case.

7. MCAL says:

I still don’t see what was wrong with the end. Clearly any argument could be countered with “Because of the hacked prosthetics.” And while I am at it, why are people complaining about realism when monopoles are falling from the sky.

• Airies says:

I agree with the ‘hacked’ theory also.

• hoiut says:

Also remember the Kagome call that preceded the “malfunction.”

While there’s no guarantee such prosthetics would be connected to the net (heck, what an obvious security risk), it’s perfectly plausible Misa gave them to her as a “security blanket” for the purpose of killing her in the event that she’d spill the beans on some big secret (Kou).

How this was accomplished may have something to do with the ubiquity of PokeComs, which are always connected to the net and have microphones, speakers, and GPS. This pretty much ensures that with the right listening gear/virus, a signal could be sent from the device to any machines in the vicinity programmed to listen.

Now recall the timely Kagome Kagome call, which when answered produced the dial-up handshake. A listener (modem) that hears the handshake could receive a significant amount of data (instructions) encoded in the noise. In this case, there was likely a modem chip installed in the prosthetic legs.

Now, in extension, it wouldn’t be far-fetched to propose that similarly delivered instructions (perhaps even via the same Kagome Kagome modem event) were responsible for the “mass malfunction” of other robotic products produced by the same company/chipmaker.

Now the conspiracy theory makes a little more sense, eh?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if anything I’ve said is correct.

8. MCAL says:

You know. I think that this episode has caused such a debate makes it a rousing success.

• MCAL says:

Also I’ll never unhear that spine cracking sound.

• hoiut says:

Hooray for cross-blog comment re-posting! :-)

Yes, very true. But then I was led to recall a few more highly debated anime which generated considerable debate — SOA and Guilty Crown. Both were certainly (commercially/demographically) “rousing successes.” But as for the quality of the stories…yeah.

That said, this one is great. I love R;N. I also don’t see a lot of debate. Some people are saying “that can’t happen!” and others are either retorting “So what?” or “It can too!”. Nobody here can know. I’ve seen strange designs coming out of darpa — incredibly strong, lightweight designs that can, for instance, jump hundreds of feet in the air in less than a second. Boggles the mind. Twenty years ago, nothing. Twenty years from now…I don’t even want to imagine.

Seemed plausible enough to me, barring perhaps a minor animation-related adaptation issue or two. The scene had PUNCH baby.

9. Blue Bomber says:

Here’s my theory: Misa’s boss wanted her to get rid of Kai at the beginning of the ep, but pulled back at the last second. Last we hear about that for the rest of the ep. Kagome, Kagome + modem sound transmission on Kai’s and Mizuka’s tablets right before the accident. We haven’t been told where those transmissions are coming from, but if it’s from Misa’s company, then her boss pretty much used it as a heavy-handed deterrent to scare Kai off, instead of killing him (and in the process, hurting Akiho).

As far as the legs not knowing where to go, they most likely used the GPS signal from the tablets to steer her in the right direction. Also, remember that Kai is just a kid, and Misa’s an adult: taller, and most likely heavier, especially with the weight of the legs significantly lowering her center of gravity. I’m guessing that the legs were pretty heavy, since the grip on her “shoes” were far superior to Kai’s, even though they both had regular rubber soles. Of course, if he could just tip her over with a quick tackle, that would kill the suspense. ;) Though, you’d think something that could torque your body with that level of force would also have a back support to prevent spinal injury… 0.o

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Who knows maybe if the exoskelleton had some kind of catapult manouever as was mentioned, it also actually did have that preventative you suggested Blue bomber only it happened not to work. Perhaps due to hacking (which I’ve mentioned before on the shoutbox).

• Blue Bomber says:

Something else I just thought of: Kai couldn’t find the report icon initially, but once Mizuka got close enough (apparently), it was revealed. Probably along with triggering the transmission.

• hoiut says:

Aha, you beat me to the “spy tablet + tablet GPS + modem transmission to the legs” theory.

I’d like to take it a step further and propose that every spooky “occurrence” of a Kagome Kagome call is to control other robots/chips and outfit them with instructions, and this may underlie the past incidents revolving around malfunctioning prosthetics and other such devices.

Remember, Misa’s company is wrapped up in litigation about these malfunctions and not much info is forthcoming from the president, who is reserving his explanation for the behavior for the courtroom.

10. Saigo says:

Lol Aizen stahp doing cameos

Customize
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]