Posted by psgels on 10 February 2013 with categories: Robotics;Notes

And with this, the focus on the robot building suddenly returns. This is what I meant by the previous episodes feeling a bit like acheckist, because I nearly forgot that that was also going on, even though it wsa the main focus of the series. They could have shown a bit more about the progress of the construction while they were doing the stories of the other characters.

Having said that though, the supercandy robot launch really was worth the wait and I really liked the moment in which the thing actually moved properly. And either way, the atmosphere of this episode was really, realyl good. Probably the best this show has been so far. The sense of impending doom worked really well for the largest part of this episode. And then “it” happened…

Just holy crap. I did not see that coming. Both of it. I did not expect this series to be such a deconstruction that it would actually tackle what would happen if such a giant robot would fall over. It also did not come to my mind that the robots going out of control also would mean that Kai’s legs would start to act funny. The ending of this episode was just amazing.

That’s the power of the build-up of this show’s first half, in which it tried to be realistic and believable without much of the drama. Because of that we now know the characters, which makes it all the more disturbing what happened. And to make things even worse there was that point in which Kai’s legs actually forced her to stand up again, hurting her spine in the process. I did not expect such a detail whatsoever in a show that so far had no blood or gore whatsoever. The impact of that single thing was much larger than, say, a show that consistently has people hurting each other.

Robotics;Notes, I applaud you.
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. Kaiserin Emma says:

Its a good episode review but there is a slight error where you mention Kai instead of Mizuka.
    I completely agree with you with regards to the buildup, interesting what you said about deconstruction of the mecha genre.

2. Spike says:

I was literally yelling at the Kai “knock her over! Then her legs won’t move!” Then he does and the thing stands back up with a snap that made me cringe… I was like… oh shi… *mouth agape*

3. rufe says:

@Spike….Me too T_T

I had really bad Lord of the Files flashbacks at that last scene.

4. Pafiume says:

I was screaming at him to knock her down too! Like, I imagine he must have been flustered, but come on. If from the front doesn’t work, for some reason, go from the side. If she is suddenly getting up and walking again, turn her around when she’s laying down. I dunno though, I suppose they were aiming for the water, not just walking in a random direction. I’m excited to see where it goes from here. I was just thinking how Steins;gate had already picked up by this point, much earlier even. Finally it’s really getting interesting. I’ve fallen asleep watching the past three episodes or so…

• alexvoda says:

Flustered? He saved a naked Kona from drowning/wrist slashing suicide.
      He knows how to be reliable when people are in fatal danger around him.

5. alexvoda says:

For me this was probably the worst episode of R;N for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I predicted someone will die in this episode. Psycho Pass and R;N always strangely mirrored each other, so after what happened in the last PP episode I expected a secondary character to die in R;N.
    This is not the fault of R;N, it is just something that diminished that surprise for me.

Secondly, the scene with Mizuka completely broke my suspension of disbelief with 2 things. One, that exoskeleton does not have sensors to know where it is going, it is controlled by a joystick. As others said, knock her to the side, rotate her, or something like that. Even if it had internet connection (which it shouldn’t because it wastes battery) in order to be virused it shouldn’t know in which direction it is going.
    Two, the way she got back up is implausible. The weight distribution of the human body doesn’t allow it, no matter how much strength your lags may have. Unless you are a trained gymnast and willing to do it you can not stand form a bridge back position no matter how powerful that exoskeleton is. She would have just lifted up and than fallen back down, especially the way he was sitting on top of her.

And another thing, those monopoles (never mind that they are supposed one of the rarest things in the entire universe – that is perfectly acceptable), they are supposed to be magnets with only one pole, therefore should either attract or repel each other, but they behaved like the had no magnetism at all.

I am sorry to say but I am kinda disappointed by R;N, it just breaks my suspension of disbelief.

• alexvoda says:

In the defense of the show, I should add that the part with the toppling giant robot was very well done.

However I think she will be the only death, he will survive somehow.

• alexvoda says:

The more I think about it the more stupid it gets. I would have accepted quite a lot of things. from the exoskeleton overloading and making the batteries explode to it being neurologically linked and mind controlling her to commit suicide. Both of those would have been more plausible.

• alexvoda says:

Here is what a lithium battery explosion looks like, flames and very very much smoke:

This would have been much more preferable than slowly waking towards a conveniently placed hole in a fence without any attempt to force her to change direction. She could still knock him away so he doesn’t burn with her.
          That was just a massively idiotic scene.

• Green says:

You do have to consider that this is set in an era that technology have gone through significant advancement. I believe that the exoskeleton is connected to iru O.(updating software?) And I think it is unfair to criticize it without having much knowledge of the culprit and his/her/its motive yet. For example, We still don’t know whether the culprit is a human or an a.i. It might turn out extremely stupid, but its still too early to judge it.

However, the part where the exoskeleton defies centre of gravity was pretty weird. The only way she could keep her balance is if the sole of the exoskeleton is extremely heavy. If that is the case Kai would not have the strength to lift her up. That’s pretty basic physics, considering that an economics major like me knows these stuff.

Despite the problem I had with that scene, I think that the whole Mizuka incident did invoke huge emotional impact on me. I believe that the little lapse in physics will not impede the flow of the story….. Not yet. Let’s leave the criticism after episode 22.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

pretty much this!

I was going wtf people for that whole scene!

I can’t believe people actually believe that b.s. scene and tried to defend it

*facepalm*

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

Agreed. The whole scene was just incredible stupid to me. Questions like, who put that convenient gap in the fence, how can those legs keep perfect balance despite the fact that is absolutely impossible no matter what techno gadgetry you have, why is Kai just standing there staring when she just clearly told him that her legs wouldn’t stop?

That said Steins;gate had moments like this. It’s just that White fox was clever and managed to omit or keep them out of the anime. Things like a black hole being able to compress not only matter, but also data. Being able to activate a complex Hadron collider in another country remotely from japan. Or that if you must die at this time then you will die regardless of whether your death was natural or not. In the event nothing is there to kill you you will just suffocate on the spot. Oh and you can’t kill anyone who isn’t meant to die because something will always prevent you from doing so. Or that persons arc only in the visual novel which consisted of someone managing to time leap thousands of times despite that being well…pretty impossible.

The writer tends to do his research but when time comes to turn up the drama he then disregards common sense in favor of dramatic effect.

• alexvoda says:

Thank you for enlightening me that White Fox had such a very significant contribution to making the S;G anime what it is.
        I knew they were the ones who adapted it, and the ones responsible for the gray filter, but I didn’t realize their contribution was so significant.

• Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

That s:g stuff is interesting. Although, some of what was mentioned are somewhat valid theories if you inject quantum physics(the observer effect specifically) into the mix.. . .that is if okabe was the observer, he kept “observing” mayuri’s death by trying to prevent it so strongly that he couldnt get his mind to “observe” her living. kinda like saying “don’t think of the white rabbit” over and over and really that’s the only thing you DO think about haha. To me all the schemes was just an elaborate plan to get okabe to “observe” the outcome he wanted, so that when he “time traveled” he finally went to a universe that had the outcome he wanted, as the mind tricks at the end allowed him to observe that outcome. the other stuff though, yeah its good that white fox took that out.

that and the whole “it’s 20 years in the future, they could have invented something like that” did NOT read alex’s comment thoroughly enough.

besides if you have to speculate “well x implausible event could have been ok because its in the not so distant future” is bad writing, especially after the show went to great lengths to talk about the weight distribution of ROBOTS and then have the human leg thing disregard that.

yeah. . .no.

• MCAL says:

I am no expert on physics, so be free to call bullshit on what I am saying. But it seems to me like the exoskeleton was holding Mizuka up. If that is the case, isn’t it possible for the legs to bring her body back up if they are her support.

• HunterWulf says:

Well, you are just ignoring a lot of things, first it is pretty clear that online connectivity is common-place in R;N world and almost every device is connected to an online network (including all the small Pokecoms) .. so don’t give me the “it wastes batteries” excuse .. it is very obvious her exo-skeleton legs were hacked remotely and someone was intentionally controlling them and taking her in the direction of the opening in the fence of the cliff .. we already have seen that the 300 committee have tech even more advanced that the norm in R;N world (which is already years ahead of our world) .. and they hacked the robots in Tokyo before … all the exo-skeleton “accidents” might as well have been staged and meant to assassinate certain people who get too close to the truth, so this side of the scene is covered.

As for the part where her exo-skeleton forced to get up, your “no matter how much strength your lags may have” doesn’t make sense since we don’t know how powerful those mechanical legs are .. if it’s a matter of weight distribution then any weight can be lifted with if there is enough strength to counter it .. the point of lifting may indeed affect how much force is needed to balance things but there is on such thing as “the way she got back up is implausible”.

First .. the exo-skeleton has full control of her lower-half up to her waist, she can’t resist any of its movements, so if her legs are on the ground her thighs will follow since they are too connected to the exoskeleton (which is turn is why her back was broken since she tried to resist with her own weight and Kai’s weight) .. now imagine the rest of her body and Kai as a mass attached to lift with a powerful joints and it just becomes a math problem of how much force you need to lift that mass .. and why she won’t fall back .. simply becasue the joints in the exo-skeleton can lock movement in the opposite direction or lock movement altogether (specially at her feet) until the “lift” pushes her upper body up from the ground.

Second .. you can scream “but she is unbalanced and should take the exoskeleton and fall back on the ground” .. fact is the exo-skeleton bracer reaches above her waist line and above her center of mass (which is further down becasue of the weight of the exo-skeleton legs) .. not to mention it was clear the final movement that got her up (and snapped her spine) was done with rapid movement and probably max-power output of the joints .. it was more like a catapult .. that gave no chance for her to fall back .. if it was done much slower .. surely she would have fallen back .. but this wasn’t the case here.

• info600 says:

I have to wonder, does the exo-skeleton have enough weight on the mechanical soles to generate the friction necessary for that kind of movement against the combined mass of Kai and Mizuka’s upper body (and part of the exo-skeleton as well, if it is that much heavier than we expected) ?

Cause I can easily image it slipping on the grass…

• Airies says:

WASTES BATTERY! HAHAHAH WTF WHO’S ASS DID YOU PULL THAT OUT FROM!?

• MCAL says:

Apparently yours, Airies.

• Airies says:

Really?

• MCAL says:

Really. I mean if you were being kind to the guy, I wouldn’t have said it. But you basically mocked a guy who was making a logical comment and he wasn’t even directing his comment at you. If you are going to disagree with something, the least you could do was be considerate to the guy and not act like an ass (pun intended).

• Airies says:

True I could of, but I felt it was too hilarious not to laugh and point out. I should try harder next time. Also It wasn’t pulled out of my ass because he made that comment before I even said anything, so your accusation is wrong. I was just being an ass. ;) lets just drop this now.

• MCAL says:

Okay. I DID make a horrible pun. Anyway, just try to be considerate next time is all I am asking.

6. Spaghetti says:

@HunterWulf: Excellent response bud. You actually used evidence supplied by the show to form a well-reasoned explanation of many of the things that people claim to be “impossible.” It’s all stuff they would have realized during those scenes, had they been paying attention.

Honestly though, people. Stop trying to apply real-world physics to something that’s fiction. In the real world, we don’t have the level of technology like they do in R;N. So it seems a little stupid to think that stuff in their world would behave exactly as they do in ours.

“From a technological pov R;N is waaaay worse than Steins;Gate. S;G only assumed you could build a time machine with consumer electronics and that’s it. R;N assumes a lot of things, to many things to remain plausible.”

People build robots all the time, and such things exist even in the real world (robotic prosthetics, AR devices on tablets,) if at a much more fundamental level. Also, we have hackers that regularly stir up trouble. However, as far as I know, time travel does not exist. And if it did, I’m sure the secret wouldn’t be discovered by some random chuuni otaku. If the latter scenario is more plausible to you, then I think you need to seriously re-evaluate what you consider to be “reality.”

@Airies: You should perhaps read all of the posts, then maybe you wouldn’t look like such an imbecile, posting in all caps like that. Also, it’s clear that he’s dismissing that idea in the body of his own post. Stop trying to act smart, please. It’s embarrassing to legitimately intelligent people.

Honestly, if you people have that much trouble suspending your disbelief with something like this, you might want to stop watching any anime at all. Or any fiction, for that matter. Something slightly unrealistic might happen, and then you’d be really disappointed.

• Airies says:

how am I acting smart? I was just laughing because there was no information about batteries in the episode or about the fact it uses internet which waste batteries. Whats really embarrassing is you suggesting people stop watching cartoons or any fiction because they felt trolled by the end of the episode and wanted to share that. Obviously people cant be mad or have a negative opinion with being called names which is disgusting. Grow up I was just having a laugh!

• Highfinder Highfinder says:

“You people need to calm down. It’s a cartoon for christ’s sake; obviously some unrealistic things are going to occur.”

And there’s were I stop reading and disregard your opinion.
      Don’t want to be captain obvious here but it’s not a cartoon, it’s an anime. On that note it doesn’t make a difference where it is animated or not. There is no reason why animated feature cannot be judged by the same standards as other mediums. What I am trying to say here is that pointing out that it’s animated doesn’t justify a serious flaw in storytelling.
      And frankly this statement is ignorant and degrading to anime.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

@Highfinder: I know what your getting at but phrasing it that way is going to send off some signals. Anime means animation and an animation is a cartoon, anime is a Japanese cartoon therefore anime is a cartoon.

• Kaiserin Emma says:

That comment of mine wasn’t aiming to be pretentious or insulting just to clear that up just in case. Whenever I hear anime defined people use the words “Japanese cartoon” it feels like that makes sense them because manga are really “Japanese comics”.

• psgels psgels says:

There is no point in making fun of each other’s arguments like that, people bring up valid points here. It’s just different for everyone how important those points are.

For me for example, I did find that S;G broke my suspense of disbelief. Not due to physics, but plot devices. There were enough people for who this wasn’t the case.

7. MCAL says:

I still don’t see what was wrong with the end. Clearly any argument could be countered with “Because of the hacked prosthetics.” And while I am at it, why are people complaining about realism when monopoles are falling from the sky.

• Airies says:

I agree with the ‘hacked’ theory also.

• hoiut says:

Also remember the Kagome call that preceded the “malfunction.”

While there’s no guarantee such prosthetics would be connected to the net (heck, what an obvious security risk), it’s perfectly plausible Misa gave them to her as a “security blanket” for the purpose of killing her in the event that she’d spill the beans on some big secret (Kou).

How this was accomplished may have something to do with the ubiquity of PokeComs, which are always connected to the net and have microphones, speakers, and GPS. This pretty much ensures that with the right listening gear/virus, a signal could be sent from the device to any machines in the vicinity programmed to listen.

Now recall the timely Kagome Kagome call, which when answered produced the dial-up handshake. A listener (modem) that hears the handshake could receive a significant amount of data (instructions) encoded in the noise. In this case, there was likely a modem chip installed in the prosthetic legs.

Now, in extension, it wouldn’t be far-fetched to propose that similarly delivered instructions (perhaps even via the same Kagome Kagome modem event) were responsible for the “mass malfunction” of other robotic products produced by the same company/chipmaker.

Now the conspiracy theory makes a little more sense, eh?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if anything I’ve said is correct.

8. MCAL says:

You know. I think that this episode has caused such a debate makes it a rousing success.

• MCAL says:

Also I’ll never unhear that spine cracking sound.

• hoiut says:

Hooray for cross-blog comment re-posting! :-)

Yes, very true. But then I was led to recall a few more highly debated anime which generated considerable debate — SOA and Guilty Crown. Both were certainly (commercially/demographically) “rousing successes.” But as for the quality of the stories…yeah.

That said, this one is great. I love R;N. I also don’t see a lot of debate. Some people are saying “that can’t happen!” and others are either retorting “So what?” or “It can too!”. Nobody here can know. I’ve seen strange designs coming out of darpa — incredibly strong, lightweight designs that can, for instance, jump hundreds of feet in the air in less than a second. Boggles the mind. Twenty years ago, nothing. Twenty years from now…I don’t even want to imagine.

Seemed plausible enough to me, barring perhaps a minor animation-related adaptation issue or two. The scene had PUNCH baby.

9. Blue Bomber says:

Here’s my theory: Misa’s boss wanted her to get rid of Kai at the beginning of the ep, but pulled back at the last second. Last we hear about that for the rest of the ep. Kagome, Kagome + modem sound transmission on Kai’s and Mizuka’s tablets right before the accident. We haven’t been told where those transmissions are coming from, but if it’s from Misa’s company, then her boss pretty much used it as a heavy-handed deterrent to scare Kai off, instead of killing him (and in the process, hurting Akiho).

As far as the legs not knowing where to go, they most likely used the GPS signal from the tablets to steer her in the right direction. Also, remember that Kai is just a kid, and Misa’s an adult: taller, and most likely heavier, especially with the weight of the legs significantly lowering her center of gravity. I’m guessing that the legs were pretty heavy, since the grip on her “shoes” were far superior to Kai’s, even though they both had regular rubber soles. Of course, if he could just tip her over with a quick tackle, that would kill the suspense. ;) Though, you’d think something that could torque your body with that level of force would also have a back support to prevent spinal injury… 0.o

• Kaiserin Emma says:

Who knows maybe if the exoskelleton had some kind of catapult manouever as was mentioned, it also actually did have that preventative you suggested Blue bomber only it happened not to work. Perhaps due to hacking (which I’ve mentioned before on the shoutbox).

• Blue Bomber says:

Something else I just thought of: Kai couldn’t find the report icon initially, but once Mizuka got close enough (apparently), it was revealed. Probably along with triggering the transmission.

• hoiut says:

Aha, you beat me to the “spy tablet + tablet GPS + modem transmission to the legs” theory.

I’d like to take it a step further and propose that every spooky “occurrence” of a Kagome Kagome call is to control other robots/chips and outfit them with instructions, and this may underlie the past incidents revolving around malfunctioning prosthetics and other such devices.

Remember, Misa’s company is wrapped up in litigation about these malfunctions and not much info is forthcoming from the president, who is reserving his explanation for the behavior for the courtroom.

10. Saigo says:

Lol Aizen stahp doing cameos

@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.
Niello
@Kaiser, Ugh my phone gitched. What I meant to say was that background was unexpected. Now I see why you're enjoying CotW though.
@Kaiser, That's unexpected.
I enjoyed how outright surreal Arakawa was.
@Amagi: It bothers me that they're stuffing multiple tales into single episodes.
Ah, excel saga, I wonder what I would think of it now, its been years.
@Amagi: I actually respect Aidan's coverage of it.
@Niello: Yes that edgy villain kid in COTWs was annoying though.
@Amagi: I don't care much for the male character that leads some of the episodes in this new adaptation.
@Niello: Its a non-mainstream shoujo that isn't set in a school, moves at a quick enough pace and has some nice background art/chara design, I grew up on shoujo fantasy manga also so theres that.
I mean there are parts I like. I enjoyed the first episode, and the part about the country of liars. But many other things annoy me and the last episode was the worst. I also feel like the edgy bomb loli and slapstick Kino don't fit to the rest of the show somehow. Maybe I forgot everything, but the "old" Kino felt like a better character to me somehow, this one is more faithful to the LNs though
@Kaiser: I honestly gave up on Kino and I think it's only partly the fault of the new series. I am just so tired of how stupid most of the episodic-characters are unless their are friends of Kino, how everyone gets bent being irredeemable evil for plot's sake and how everything Kino and her friends do gets justified. Maybe I am just too old or boring for this fairy tail like moral bending.
Still have Night is Short review to write... i will get there. I will get there
It's like having potty mouth characters. If you have one, it can be funny and a good comedic relief. If everyone does it, it can come out as mean spirited or trashy.
@Kaiser: I haven't watched A Bad Idea Gone Wrog, as for now my top priority is to catch up with 2017 anime for the Yearly summary. But I will get on to it when I have some free time
Amagi - Chibi stuff I've seen it mainly work in anime comedies with low budgets like Those Who Hunt Elves, Ranma, Excel Saga, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Nanbaka, etc. I think if you really have to use it in a more serious anime, I think it might work if it was part of one character's gag.
Children of the Whales, along with Juuni Taisen, keep falling out on me. Kino is pretty a hit-or-miss at the moment. I don't mind the last episode's multiple tales though
Niello
Problem about AMB chibi jokes are that they arwn't funny in the first place nor do they have a punch line.
Niello
@Eoghan, Really surprise you put Children of the Whales so high, I'm falling behind on some shows but it is still near the bottom of my list (the absolute bottom remains Kino).
The latest Kino episode was a real slap in the face/insult, really really thought that one segement would carry on for the whole episode and be a redemptive one/getting the series back on form but then it followed it up with crap comic relief segement.
@Lenlo: For now yes.
Droppin Mahou Kaiser?
I no longer care what Dia's gender is, no longer I will lie to myself and deem them female.
5. would be juuni taisen
My rankings for the season based on what I am following: 1. Houseki no kuni 2. Children of the whales 3. inuyashiki 4. girls last tour dropping mahou and Kino.
I don't remember Joseph being all that present from what little I read of the manga.
Fear so too. I mean it has a bunch of good ideas and good quality and such, but it feels like it won't be much more than the magical being of the week (or two weeks) and some Elias highjinks inbetween
I still say, I've got the feeling mahou will be wasted potential that won't really go anywhere much.
@Mario: Did you watch that indie film you recommended yet? Bad idea gone wrong it was called. I just finished it there, budgetary limitations and outside of Matt Jones the acting isn't great, theres a few limp/dead bits too, nonetheless it has its amusing moments here and there to make for an okay comedy that isn't all that essential but amusing enough in moments if your bored.
Yeah I think Mahou has some pacing issues. But I also think it would work way better if it was less episodic or semi-episodic.
I normally don't mind the chibi stuff that much but I agree in Mahoutsukai they break the tone and pacing. Serious at one time, fluffy at another...
@Vonter: I honestly never like chibi stuff I think. Didn't care back then but nowadays I consider it annoying. One reason is that jokes only work when they aren't pointed out but just happen, sometimes even so casually that you almost miss them. Turning everyone into a chibi for a joke makes it as fun as repeating, explaining or shouting it again (which many series also do)
I have to give it to Altair. It got me reading the manga. The episode this week did skip over a whole manga story, but to be frank it is not too much of a loss. Pacing issues still exist. One thing I noticed was a degrading in animation. They are probably hoarding for the next two episodes which are the major battle.
Just dropping my 2c here: Isn't it too late for the studio to correct such inherent design issue once eps start rolling out?
@Angel: The dub wasn't all that impressive in the first place however.
Angel
When Will fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub come out?
The chibi stuff sadly, is like watching someone make the same mistake over and over again, without acknowledging that thing isn't coming across well. At this point it seems like an intentional choice rather than just cutting corners. Kinda like when an anime has a decent dub but has that one character with a really annoying voice.
Its continued this willful ignorance, this virtual refusal, to actually address the issue. Thing about the chibi is, the first scene with Silver worked. Then it just got overused.
Mahoutsukai continues denying itself. We finally had some tough questions asked, but the show just ignored them in the 2nd half (with generous doses of chibi). That said Elias true form is terrifying.
@Kaiser: If you enjoy The Scent of the Green Papaya and Cyclo, you can also check out his unofficial third film about Vietnam: The Vertical Ray of the Sun, which is about the modern day of Hanoi. It's my favorite film of his, although I know that artistically it can't compare to his earlier films
And I can say the mafia aspect of Cyclo is more like Hong Kong than Vietnam. But, whatever. I like this one well enough
@Kaiser: I particularly love the score in Cyclo. No wonder later on Tran Anh Hung asked Joony Greenwood from Raidoohead to score his films. His score has the same uncomfortable feeling with this one
I would have watched an entire story based around that old man in the new Kinos journey episode.
@Mario: Though while I never found it boring, it did feel it could have had a better narrative.
@Mario: Cyclo I felt has some reasonable sketched characters and the aesthetic sells the viewer on the environment the characters are living in, Tony Leung was my favourite in it, I also like how some Asian films are able to mix quietness with moments of violence, makes it much more visceral.
SuperWooper
I'd lean towards weirdest thing you've ever seen. It's certainly up there for me.
...I can't figure out whether Sengoku Jidai with batman is weirdest thing I have ever seen or makes completely perfectly sense and was inevitable it would happen
The map design should've been vastly more different, I'd love to hear why they thought it was worth it to keep the same maps as Gaiden. So. Much. Open. Fields.
Finally got to playing Fire Emblem Shadow, and 15 hours in I'm already not a fan of the gameplay. The story is vastly superior to Gaiden, but it looks like it missed the point on how to make a good remake. The maps are just as god awful as in Gaiden and for it, (in hard mode) it feels like a game of numbers rather than strategy.
@Mario: I feel drama need not always go for emotions in the audiences but can be effective in a solely cold observational sense and approach.
haha you don't need to spy you know. Like I said Discord chat has been active lately. I find myself more comfortable chatting in there for some reasons.
I spy on the discord chat sometimes
Worried about this Junji itou adaptation thats coming up, hope it isn't one of those zero animation web-short series.
@Kaiser: he still has Flashmob in which he intended to make. Yeah, he started his career quite late but he has had a very successful career
@Mario: Potentially could be his last film, he is quite old.
Agree that Happy End has many quirkier moments compared to his other works. Still a solid work but I won't rank it amongst his best

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

Dies Irae – 08[Promise]

Netflix has funded thirty anime which will air in 2018 and this has brought concerns over whether Anime as a whole could be westernised in order to cater to an overseas demographic. I find the chances of this unlikely and the more likely result is a more diverse lineup of anime for both Japanese and […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 9 [None so deaf as those who will not hear]

Hello and welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai! Lets hop right into it. First and foremost, let’s talk about Chise. As the main heroine of the show, naturally it’s going to focus on her a lot. This week zooms in on her relationship with Elias and what it actually is. Characters and situations comment on […]

Juuni Taisen – 10 [A Tiger May Die, But It Leaves Its Skin]

Juuni Taisen again expands a huge flashback in the middle of the current story, but this one hits all the right notes because naturally its heart is in the right place. It’s episode like this that I am glad I’m still sticking with Juuni Taisen and regain my faith to the overall quality of this […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 09[Various Countries]

I will likely be spending most of this post talking about one segment of this episode as just as the title suggests, these are a series of stories involving different countries. But before I get into that I must truly question why these particular stories were chosen. I have stated before that I love Kino […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100