Posted by psgels on 1 March 2013 with categories: Monthly Summaries

As if this season wasn’t bad enough already: all of the non-sequel series that I did pick up this season did not improve, and got worse. Perhaps I chose the wrong series, but this season… it did not go well with me. It’s a good thing that the on-going series have such a strong line-up: there are not many, but the good shows that are there are getting really, really good.

#17 (15) – Little Busters – (7.6/10) – Here is the thing with Little Busters: I really like it… when it’s not too serious. When it tries to be too serious it becomes incredibly rushed, a complete info-dump and it gets incredibly forced. And yet I keep coming back to it for the moments when the characters are just having fun, or the small scenes with just a tiny bit of drama. Here is the thing though: this show likes to pretend that its core is these sad stories. It’s not really in its favor when that completely sucks.
#16 (11) – Amnesia – (7.6/10) – I still like the concept of skipping dimensions and dating other guys. But holy crap. That white-haired guy is a total prick. His arc was horribly contrived, and the blue-haired girl is one of the most forced villains I have seen in a long while. Talk about overreacting here.
#15 (14) – Kotoura-San – (7.75/10) – Kotoura-san. What was the reasoning behind having first a beach episode, and then a resort-episode? That’s like throwing your hands up in the air and giving up. Couldn’t you really find more interesting things for the characters to do? That made this show lose a lot of points for me, because I still like some of the characters here. Kotoura is great, the president and the vice president are also very nice. I’d just wish that this show would stop glorifying perverts. It’s not funny.
#14 (13) – Tamako Market – (7.75/10) – As much as I appreciate the details in this series, I have one big problem with it: I find the slice of life scenes to be quite boring. It’s got a lot of cultural information which is interesting, but the interaction between the characters just does not catch my attention. There is very little to the characters, and I find all of them quite dull. The bird in particular was fun at first, but has gotten quite annoying at this point.
#13 (8) – Saint Seiya Omega – (7.9/10) – Saint Seiya Omega made two really big mistakes this month: the first is using some of the biggest villains of the original Saint Seiya, and having the cast defeat them without much effort. The second is having such an incredibly cheesy background story for the main villain. So much for all the build-up, eh?
#12 (16) – Shirokuma Cafe – (8/10) – This show was going along its usual pace, still occasionally very funny, and most of all laid back, and then suddenly WHAM: Melodrama! I have no clue where all of that came from, but it really felt out of place, and quite weird for this show to suddenly be filled with tears. The change was waaaay too sudden and furthermore just about everyone started acting out of character… what happened?
#11 (12) – Magi – (8/10) – I’m really behind this, I’m sorry! But I do want to finish it. The thing with Magi is that it’s really well executed, but in the end the story just is not that interesting. It’s got some good elements about slavery, it has a good deal of emotions in it, but it’s a bit too shounen for such a setting for me.
#10 (9) – Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo – (8/10) – Sakurasou’s second half… just is not as good as its first half. The reason behind that is that everything has gotten more contrived: we have to have a lot of drama with the pointless love triangle, there has to be a lot of drama with Sakurasou closing down. It’s all too forced, and not as creative as the first half.
#9 (17) – Hunter X Hunter – (8.4/10)

We’re going through the Greed Island arc, and with this you can actually see that here, the Madhouse version is actually better than the Nippon Animation here. The fast pacing really helps here to keep things going, instead of getting bogged down by fight scenes that last for episodes. The thing with these series is that they need to learn when you need to be fast and when to be slow. You can’t just have one pacing and expect that to work throughout the entire series…

#8 (10) – AKB0048 – (8.4/10)

AKB really was well done this month, hard as it may have been to believe. It has taken a bunch of characters, and completely changed their role by revealing more about them. It’s still full of emotion and the music still is strangely great.

#7 (7) – Robotics;Notes – (8.4/10)

In this month, things went to hell for Robotics;Notes. It didn’t go entirely smoothly: the creators seemed too busy with following a checklist in order to squeeze everyone’s stories in without much flow, but the stories that were told were really impressive. The character-development that was there was quite impressive. The ride was really rocky, but interesting.

#6 (5) – Psycho Pass – (8.75/10)

Psycho Pass really went to town with its plot developments in this episode. The setting got a lot of developments, and you can now see that this series loves to play with it in its social commentary. The characters don’t have as much development as I would have liked, but they still remain interesting and solid. The animation is nicely inconsistent again, but hey: when it looks great, this series really looks great.

#5 (3) – Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – (8.75/10)

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: watch this if you want to see incredibly over the top fights. This month delivered that beyond a doubt. A common problem with shounen series is that as the enemies become more powerful, the fights get more boring and epic. Here though, the fights get more epic, yet stay as interesting as they have ever been with very creative and bizarre uses of powers. And the acting. The glorious overacting!

#4 (1) – Uchuu Kyoudai – (8.75/10)

Zomg, an episode in which Uchuu Kyouda is not at the top 2 for me? It finally happened. The reasoning behind this is that this was a month with a lot of build-up, compared to other shows this season that really hit some heights. As much as I love Uchuu Kyoudai (and the build-up really was excellent, make no mistake), I have to hand it to other series this month.

#3 (4) – From the New World – (8.9/10)

Holy crap, From the New World really surpassed itself this episode with an incredibly sad turn of events. I still cannot believe how far the creators went with this series, but I have to give it to this series: it really has some of the best villains out there. Their backgrounds, their actions, their threat. It really delivered and came together this month.

#2 (2) – Zetsuen no Tempest – (9/10)

Zetsuen no Tempest, I love you! The addition of romance and comedy in the second half was an incredibly bold move, and yet it works so well! The show still is very intelligent and full of mind-screws, which makes it all the better with such a silly backdrop behind it. It’s awesome to see the adults in this series go crazy with the fate of the world being decided by a bunch of impulsive teenagers, and the creators are making brilliant use of it, not to mention that the series has become hilarious.

#1 (6) – Chihayafuru – (9/10)

Chihayafuru, holy crap. After a relatively quiet beginning, it’s just completely back in full force. In particular the team match in this month was really awesome to watch. The strength of Chihayafuru is that it somehow manages to develop a dozen characters in one single episode every week. That strength really shined here, and to think that the match they were playing was nowhere near the most important one.

1. gurdlo says:

Chihayafuru huh? haven’t been following this one since season one ended. Guess it’s time to get back into this. I’m expecting great things from next month since I’m gonna catch up with From the New World and Zetsuen no Tempest. Uchuu Kyoudai will probably take awhile longer to hit another peak though. Jojo on the other hand, well you’ll see why it’s my favorite Shonen this month

2. Kaiserin Emma says:

Largely in agreement here though I’d move robotics to 5th and akb to 6th.

3. joshee says:

I have to agree. Although Magi is a very epic manga, it was handled poorly in recent episodes. Such a waste of potential. Sakurasou feels the same way too. But to a lesser extent.

Anyway,From the new world had always amazed me especially their recent loss of hope last episode that was epic.

4. Airies Einstein says:

FROM THE NEW WORLD IS MY WAIFU!

5. MCAL says:

Here’s some thoughts on several anime:
    Little Busters: Luckily for me, I have been enjoying the drama more then some. But I can definitely see why people think the drama is too much. Komari’s arc was just horrible though. Glad they finished it first. It seems to have different problems than Clannad. By that I mean, whatever Clannad did bad, LB does good and vice-versa. LB’s humor is better than Clannad. Clannad’s drama was better than LB. Clannad had perfect pacing, but because of that could barely scratch half of all the girls’ routes and left Clannad After Story disjointed in the first eight episodes, while LB is adapting all the girls’ routes and so far most of the common route main events, but has disjointed pacing. Looking it that way, they are exact opposites. Plus in my opinion, Haruka’s route was adapted better in the anime. I have it at 7/10 so far which is what I have with Clannad’s first season.

Kotoura-san: I have to disagree with this show glorifying perverts. The jury is still out with the grandpa (In fact the less of him, the better), but with Manabe, and in fact calling him a pervert may not even be the case, what I think they are trying to show us is that eroticism is an acknowledged part of life. And that having these thoughts doesn’t necessarily make you a horrible person, it means you are human. And even if you debase that, Manabe has much redeeming qualities. Take example the beach episode, where he saves Kotoura, and she hugs him in fear and he retrains himself from taking advantage of the moment. Not only that he’s pretty clever sometimes. Trying to hide his thoughts by doing multiplication tables is one example. And what this means for Kotoura is a lot. He’s completely open about himself, which makes him the perfect fit for the mind reading Kotoura. They have excellent chemistry together, some of best I’ve seen in a fanservice anime since Nazo no Kanojo X. And for some reason all of the ero moments of this show have me laughing hysterically (The drug food moment… Classic!) when I should be cringing, so I’m no pushover when it comes to those things. Not to mention Manabe can be a boss sometimes too, like when he lays into Moritani in episode 2 how he felt about her thoughts for Kotoura with the ferociousness she deserved. So yes, I compare Kotoura-san to Nazo no Kanojo X and like that show it gets an 8/10 for me.

HunterXHunter: I agree with the fast pacing for this series, but that’s not all. The music, the animation, the facial expressions, the Voice acting and the atmosphere, everything is much better then the OVA version, which now that I think about must have bored me to death.

Psycho Pass and Robotics;Notes: I’m going to have to digress and say that R;N is getting much better than PP. While PP continues to get slightly predictable and some plot points that don’t make any sense (And the animators seem not to care for it either), R;N keeps coming out with great episodes and all of them ending on excellent cliffhangers (And the animators do a much better job). So, i would give both of these an 8/10, but R;N would be a high 8/10, while PP would be a low 8/10.

I basically agree with everything else or I’m not watching some shows. Plus I’m still somehow being able to watch Oreshura (It’s mostly for Mazuzu most likely) and I’m enjoying Mondai-tachi. Some people compare it to Dog Days, but I thought Dog Days was boring and uninteresting. Yeah, Izayoi might be a Gary Stu, but he’s definitely much better to watch than Kirito. Plus, it can be clever sometimes (Unflippable skirts anyone).

Wow! This is long! Thanks for reading it though anybody who does.

6. Kamiorika says:

The individual routes in Little Busters are pretty rushed in the anime. Three episodes per route is barely cutting it. Of course, I personally thought the individual girls’ routes were pretty mediocre in the game as well. What makes Little Busters so great is Refrain, Rin’s routes and the common route, in my opinion.

7. Houlgrave says:

To be honest, the way that Little Busters! is being handled makes me feel a lot of trepidation: Refrain aside, LB! is fairly straightforward as a visual novel. But if they’re having this much trouble pacing out something like this, how the hell will anyone handle Rewrite when it eventually gets an adaptation? If LB! is Earth, then Rewrite’s like Jupiter….

8. Flawfinder says:

I really don’t think you picked the wrong shows. It’s just that this season is really bad aside from the carryovers. Hell, the Winter show I enjoy the most is Tamako Market (which I noticed is also your favorite of the non-sequel Winter anime), and I only think it’s decent.

• dp says:

Nope – probably just watching the wrong shows…

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha just had a really good episode, Vividred Operation is on its A-game (heck even Love Live is pretty decent)…

• kazid says:

You are rigth grong choices. Also Zettai karen children is at least best that the last 11 animes in the list. Love live in the end is much better that akb and Maoyuu is very well done.

9. ronbb says:

Agreed with your list here, and agreed with Flawfinder — this season is bad. Happy to see that Chihayafuru tops your number 1. I actually liked SSY better than ZnT, but that can be a personal preference.

10. A. says:

I have to disagree with you about Polar Bear’s Cafe; Panda actually exhibited some growth and maturity for a change, which was pretty refreshing for his character. The ‘melodrama’ worked for me, and felt very believable.

• MCAL says:

Hmm… Like psgels I though the melodrama was forced, but now that I’ve had time to think about it. I think Polar Bear cafe deserved to have just one episode like that after all the funny moments.

11. KaZuHiRo says:

I am not watching any anime from this season except AKB0048’s second season. That’s how really bad this season is. I sampled Amnesia and I found myself cooking spaghetti in the middle of the episode and didn’t have the urge to re-watch it – bleargh.

I have yet to finish Chihayafuru’s first season though – but I really got bored halfway through. Is it really worth the watch?

12. Firechick says:

“Here is the thing though: this show likes to pretend that its core is these sad stories. It’s not really in its favor when that completely sucks.”

This is something I’ve always wanted to ask about, Psgels. How can you tell whether a show knows or pretends to be something? You said once that Rio Rainbow Gate knows its a comedy and that Mawaru PenguinDrum knows it has great art and that Cuticle Detective Inaba believes its funny when its trying too hard. How can you tell this stuff?

13. jonas says:

“using some of the biggest villains of the original Saint Seiya, and having the cast defeat them without much effort”.

If you are talking about the Emperors of Mars, those guys didn´t appear in the original series.

Also, it seems we still have not seen the real villian. Medea is manipulating Mars, but she is working for someone else. This mirrors, the Asgard and Hades sagas of the original series.

14. kazid1 says:

Yuusha not in the list??? seriously…..

15. Ebisu says:

Amnesia is of the mistery genre, like a detective story with parallel worlds in a time bucle. Each boy acts as her boyfriend so you don’t have the typical love triangles or other plot typical plot devices, although you have that crazy fanclub. Kento’s arc was quite nice and soothing compared to the others. The differing personalities between worlds for Waka and maybe others characters are well used. The camera man looks to me like the joker of deck. This series are strangely appealing for an otome game.

About this season, I like Amnesia and AKB0048. I am thankful for so many continuing series (though Kingdom has taken recently a rest and Ginga e kick off is reaching the end too). Long series usually show a lot of great chapters if they don’t fall in the trap of using filler chapters.

• Toma ILY says:

as you can se by my name you knw what charcter i like the best from Amnesia ;) anyhoo i agree. Its interesting and if you played the game you’ll understand it better. ( I was ok with arcana famiglia and hiiro no kakera but i think Amnesia owns them lol) also episode 9 was really intense O_O still love Toma though tehe (Raw is cming out today asell…^_^)

16. kero says:

Yes to Chihayafuru being number 1

re Zetsuen.. the romance bit never worked for me because the girl just acts so OTT like yeah, girls go gaga for boys just like that.. ugh.

17. kraken says:

he, for Saint seiya Omega, the villains beaten in the series were never seen in the original saint seiya. Mars was never seen once time in the original Saint seiya.

And they were minor villains (Seiya could fight against Mars alone, it was impossible for him against Poseidon or Hades)
    Actually the villaions in Omega are far weaker than the one from the original series (they are at the level of the one seen in the movies)

And you forget something, the 4 god have been wounded by Athena during the last war and are still level downed by this wound.

18. kazid says:

gorgeous ep 9 of zettai karen children

@Aidan: Probably not as GREAT as Onizuka though.
So I started watching the new FLCL and let me say that this new teacher is the greatest teacher I have ever seen.
Don't think it's on Netflix. Though I think that Stardust crusaders is airing dubbed.
Is this series on Netflix? It was always one of the few anime that were very popular in the West while still airing weekly and with subs (and despite the fact that we didn't even have the manga in the West)
Man that's awesome. Also I have to admit that part 6 is probably my favorite so it's great to know that they'll most likely animate everything.
What the hell
JoJo's part 5 anime announced and it's about goddamn time.
Id agree to that. Im mostly interested in where it goes after what looked like a pretty final ending. Im guessing timeskip of some kind, or World Line switch
I didn't think any of the drama in this episode rung false.
Pretty satisfied with steins;gate this week, kept things moving and the stilted style of the show didn't get in as much the way of the setpiece that was in this episode.
I'm quite surprised by how I've gotten over a 100 chapters in and Asirpa hasn't been fanserviced explicitly.
HH Holmes had a death hotel actually.
Actually I think one of the criminals was based on a real person.
The author really likes referencing real people to, Bonnie and Clyde , Ed Gein, some American agriculturist and the inventor of some refile .
Its very true that golden kamuy does get goofier and thats true for the manga also, though theres a prisoner weirder than the one in episode 11 he does advance the plot further. One of the soldiers gets some backstory too. Sometimes the goofiness works but at others doesn't.
I'm watching the new FLCL and planning to review it once it's done. Maybe.
In my quest and love of historical manga I wound up running into this, these guys are translating it over at their site: https://blog.manga.club/blog/mangaclub-blog-vol-10-jose-rizal-serialization/
Not yet, no. Plannin on it this weekend
There are three episodes of the new flcl out. I haven't seen it yet and its been ages since I saw the original, has anyone watched any of the new series?
I can understand that. Anything less than a 3 I often dont finish/deem worthy even being talked about. In anime or movies.
Its too hard to give 1/5s or 2/5s.
Despite my complaints I gave it a 3/5.
....feck sorry about that. I didn't think anyone else on here would have been interested =< Thanks for removing it.
Come on Kaiser, even if I didn't get anything out of it doesn't mean that other people won't. Best not to put a big spoiler on the front page of the site.
Just deleting a spoiler there.
That production company tend to do quite poor trailers that misrepresent their films.
I would probably punch someone for laughing/talking during a horror film though.
Babadook did the grief horror better. Though honestly my favourite horrors this year weren't American ones.
Upgrade might end up being more fun, which is an action horror comedy.
@Aidan: While terribly schmalzy and lacking a proper ending, quiet place had a better idea and atmosphere.
@Aidan: In the end it just felt like comparisons to Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist hurt the film. I just thought it was an awkward mix of commercial and indie horror. Like a lesser version of the conjuring.
@Aidan: I didn't laugh but I also couldn't really feel it/connect with it.
@Aidan: I also disliked how it answered its questions and story rather than leaving stuff unexplained and the actual exposition in the last act was quite awkward.
@Aidan: I saw it on Thursday, it doesn't live up to the witch or even it comes at night. On one hand I appreciate limiting the jumpscares and gore, going more for atmosphere and character drama. Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne kind of hold it together for me. But the two kids, like in most horror films were awful.
Just seen Hereditary. The so called scariest film since The Exorcist.
So scary that people in the cinema were laughing.
I've been playing Hollow Knight on Switch. It's perhaps the longest metroidvania game I've ever played. The game has a nonlinear progression with a lot of optional areas, which add wonder to the somber and mysterious tone of the game.
I also like how much Nagai overstylizes, overdesigns his characters.
Not that its abandoned its comedic elements.
@Sash: The twin tailed girl got impaled and its gone in a somewhat darker direction yes.
Sash
apparently cutie honey is getting devilman vibes.. haven't watched it though so take this with a grain of salt
@Lenlo: Somewhere in my head is an image of Baraka from mortal combat in the same picture as Himiko Toga.
Hero Aca, still my favorite Shounen.
Just got the Re:zero Blu-ray a whole ten days before it's officially released. Gotta be the first to see the dub.
Yeah. Her whole scene was terrible. As much as I loved Maho in a pando costume, it should have stopped there. We didnt need the groping.
FERRIS NYAN-NYAN OmO kill it, kill it with muh-fire, kill it with muh-fire.
Also, Megalobox, hot damn. I love it. I love it all. Mmmm I cant wait.
Partly, yeah. Im mid writeup for it. Suffice to say the fan-service was... alittle awkward to me
Filler episode of Steins; gate this week.
I cant wait to see it, ive heard good things
Damn I love Megalobox so much it's my favorite series this season.
I can't wear a suit to work everyday
*wotaku's
You are now aware that you un-intentionally stealth cosplay as watoki's protagonist each time you go to work.
Pretty sure Psgels is paying to keep the site up but it's not a sum that one would consider significant. Site is dirt cheap.
I've thought about using MPC as an extra player, while mainly using vlc, but vlc can be buggy for me sometimes in that it lags and pixelates the video often , I've used MPC on videos that vlc bugs-out on and they work better.
Out of curiosity, what videoplayer (example media player, realplayer, winamp, vlc, mediaplayer classic)do all of you use for watching anime?
You silly old people
lol how do you think I feel, I've been at this for 20 years =P
All these "confessions" just underline how old we all are; and still keep on that stupid hobby after all those years :))
I first visited the site around 2009, 2010 but was pretty much a lurker until I started writing for the site.
As far as I know, psgels gave the admin privilege for K-Off and Aidan, and it's K-Off who pays for the site now (other admins pls confirm)
Of course I have no idea how much it costs to keep the blog up, he could always end up stopping paying for it if he needed to cut costs.
I'm actually curious in estimating how much longer the blog has left. Obviously psgels must be still paying to keep the site up, but he is, of course only mortal.
The blog began in 2005, but I started reading it in 2009, began posting on the chatbox in 2010.
I wonder which weekly review was the first one I've read on psgels. I remember .hack//roots but not sure if it was the first one. Could very well be the case, though.
Nevermind, despite being an old as shit reader I never actually read the whole text of the about-part.
How old is this blog anyway? I am a regular reader since 2006 or something although it was only recently that I started talking here.
Oh I know all about that Kaiser. It was amazing to read about
Raggers
Wow, this is still going? Good on you guys
*wiki article
@Lenlo: Read the cultural impact of the original ashita no Joe on the youtube article, Japanese actually mass mourned him
Some writers just know how to get an un-explainably effective rhythm going.
I always struggle with commenting/reviewing mood pieces and slice of life mood pieces especially, even when I finish something in the genre sometimes I'll go "I don't understand why this worked so well for me, why wasn't it boring?"
Anonymous2194677
Microsot E3 Press Conference was nuts, they showed too many games.
Hey guys, I made/edited my very first video about a show I greatly love, hope you'll give it a watch too:

Yeah, and an NES prequel to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night launched a couple of weeks ago. And while easier than NES castlevanias it's quite fun. Also very cheap only $10.
Alas, I've not kept up much with the videogame scene in a number of years. I know there's a spiritual successor to castlevania being made though.
Sorry Nightmare Creatures its what it's called.
Actually come to think of it, the 64 games probably had more vampires than the others I played.
Have you played the game that inspired this Castlevania? Deadly Creatures?
Never did get round to playing as Henry though.
I remember the garden stage being especially frustrating as Schneider because of how slow he moved.
Also that game demands you to play on normal or higher to play beyond that nitro stage.
I remember having to finish the game in a day because I was saddled with constantly rubbish memory cards for my N64.
Sorry, I post fast and long so some of what I say probably might get missed/skimmed over.
Actually I did mention it, called it the nitro stage.
Still I think despite the flaws it's has become fun for me because I surprisingly get better each time I play it. and last time I make the game chug because of how fast I was progressing.
Yeah. But I'm surprised you don't mention the worst part. The Nitro and Mandragora level. In which you have to go across several rooms without jumping.
@Anon: I remember the game punishes you for using the item seller guy too much aswell.
I remember the mansion level being creepy back then.
But the werewolf thing was pretty rad.
And then there was that crumbling labyrinth stage. I remember on hard mode you have to fight the chainsaw gardener too.
The art tower stage is also annoying if you run out of day/night cards.
Also it wouldn't let you finish it properly if you took too long.
@Anon: The N64 castlevanias have so many flaws, weird controls , bad camera , the day and night feature is kind of cool but it also puts a timer on things and certain parts become a pain because of it. They had frustrating bits too like the ice castle part with the weird jump sections and the nitro carrying stage.
Lords of Shadow was another IP the developer had to accomodate into a known IP kinda like Star Fox Adventures.
The other Castlevanias I haven't played are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. LoS was ok but very long. and it's interquel Mirror of Fate put me off playing LoS2.
I haven't played that one. Seems like a mixed bag. Like Zelda 2 or Metroid 2.
I've seen playthroughs of simon's quest, but we all know why thats a notorious mess.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are also my guilty pleasures. I think if Konami still made Castlevanias it would have tried aping the Souls type of gameplay.
I remember some very very silly voice acting and dialogue in symphony of the night.
I preferred when they were just platform games. Later ones incoperated level up elements if I recall.
After SOTN I think the game coming closer to that greatness is Order of Ecclesia if anything it keeps the difficulty of the classic Castlevanias and puts it in the Metroidvania formula. It has a platforming challenge level that's very satisfying to play.
I've played most of them. Castlevania 3 is a very tough game, but that also makes the journey feel long and rewarding. Rondo of Blood feels like the cornerstone of the series since it's the Castlevania that got most of it's sprite reused in later games.
Reminds me, the game, clocktower is vaguely inspired by an old Italian horror film.
And symphony of the night.
I actually feel I should have played more castlevania back in the day, I've played bloodlines, castlevania 4, Dracula X, legacy of darkness, admittedly the last one isn't a good game and is more of a guilty pleasure.
They could still meet Grant in the Clocktower.
I wonder if the second season will be the journey to the castle like in the game. And the third season is entirely in the castle.
Already a season 3 announced.
Oh god yes. I cant wait
New netflix castlevania episodes out next month.
Was going to mention that. Wish more shows would do o.
Yeah, a lot of plot threads are converging and I like it. My favorite part though was Iglesias and their commitment to non-japanese languages. They were good!
*his bit
@Lenlo: Glad that sachio gets hit bit of backstory and that its well connected to the rest of the overall plot.
Alright Megalo Box was pretty good this week. So much to say
Indeed the Alliance system is atypical of mass democracy. There seem to be no organised parties and lists. Instead administrations seem to be formed on a personalist basis(me and my chums). And the Assembly seems to have very weak powers of oversight. A very flawed institutionally system. But I digress . It is still anime and even from Tanaka I do not expect deep discussion of democratic politics
I mean if two of 9 ministers in an administration resigned in any current representative/competitive election system it would be a big news and embarrassment to the goverment. My guess is that they were blackmailed to stay on, or were too afraid of the war party.
busy weeks (finals and deadlines). Watched the latest LOGH:NT episode. It was ok. A bit dry, but so are many of the episodes of NT or the Original on their own. One think it led me to think is that neither the books , nor the OVA, nor NT explain why Rebelo/Lebello and Huang Rui (the two politicians opposed to the Invasion of the Empire) did not resign in opposition. (Turnhit also opposed but..)
I think its cause of Daru's voice. Hes so overt about it and his voice makes it so clear hes not really being serious about any of that, cause it completely changes when hes talking serious subjects
@Kaiser: Yeah I am watching CCS but funny enough I fell behind too, so it might be someone else you're thinking of
Always felt that Daru strikes a hit when it comes to pervy/otaku characters. Most of them tend to be incredibly annoying.
This episode was nice and chill while still moving stuff forward. I enjoyed it. It does seem like we are hitting the main conflict though, with Amadeus and Maho
@Lenlo: I feel with this episode the plot is really moving along now.
@Kaiser, Thats the question aint it? How to savem both? We know he does, cause of the original, but alot happens along the way. Its a great ride
Bad light novels would make for good fire and burning material =)
@Amagi: I think it was you who was keeping up with the new cardcaptor sakura? or may that was bokusenou? I fell behind in it.
Given Japan is often thought to be a racist society.
I suppose though its saying something though, about them dropping that LN author for racism , its probably, considering its Japan, progressive that they called him out for his racisim.
Angel cop's Japanese version I think had some rant about Judaisim in its last episode too I think.
Honestly I try not to seek out stories about how awful certain creators are if I can.
Viz decided not to run Kenshin's followup/side story manga. But oddly they decided to keep going with toriko even though toriko's author also got in trouble for pedophilic charges.
Looking at that Isekai anime I say we we saved from something truly terrible. Though I find it odd that it was dropped because the author was a racist not because of it well...being goddamn terrible.
@Amagi: I watched a random episode, laughed more than I should have.
btw Is anyone besides me watching Tiramisu? Am I the only one that finds this shit funny?
@Amagi: I'd only read the ANN article title and decided I wouldn't entertain the comments by reading on.
@Lenlo: How do I save them both @steins;gate, how do I save both Kurisu AND mayuri, this is hurting me ;o;
I am just reading what he liked on twitter and said (seems to be the director), what the hell
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Man, I never heard of this. The anime was just harmless comedy, didn't expect that to be honest.
Apparently the guy who did Net-juu was in trouble for making anti-Semitic remarks, not anti-Netanyahu remarks, actual anti-Jewish remarks.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: But yeah it's not that we lost anything or so. I am rather interested in what kind of series the studio will do now instead (inb4 some different LN isekai)
Chinese manga fans were protesting for a while already, then one of the VAs quit and now they're cancelling the whole thing. The author also made racist posts against Chinese ppl don't know what though.
Seems like it was hinting the MC to be a Nanking "hero" that seems to be the problem, there seem to be a lot of dog whistles in there and God rewards this guy when he died at 94, literally saying he's "ideologically sound" (just saying what I see in the threads).
*isekai light novels
A minor victory against the anti-art/anti-intellectual movement, may more light novels fall =)
edit: LN seems to be cancelled too
*might result*
seems like they cancelled that isekai anime LN adaption because of racism of the author and the story
@Aidan: Dropping the no porn rule result however in only releasing games where they felt safer about uncensoring the content.

Golden Kamuy – 11 [Everybody, Get Together! It’s a Murder Hotel!]

Welcome to Bates hotel!! Alright, make no mistake, this is the funniest episode of Golden Kamuy we will ever have. Still dark, have very little to do with the main plot, but it’s spooky fun. Even trashy fun with all the dick jokes. This is Golden Kamuy at its loosest shape. Which is not a […]

Hisone to Masotan – 10 [Melting in Love]

Pretty visual aside, I wonder how much fuel left for this aircraft before it runs out of ideas. HisoMaso has never been a show with detailed world building, or even thick plot to begin with, and as the usual case for me, nothing much happened in this episode. The biggest plot point of this week […]

Hinamatsuri – 11 [A Man Thirsty for Blood, Violence and Money]

The theme of this week is the kind hearts of our cast, and we have 2 parts that take the idea and go into different directions. Remember when I mentioned before how Hinamatsuri would be if Anzu takes Hina’s place? That’s exactly the idea behind the second half. I’m glad that Nitta has some major […]

Darling in the Franxx – 21[For You, My Love]

Huh…wasn’t expecting that to be resolved so quickly. So as predicted Zero Two makes it to Darling and as predicted they power up and drive off the aliens. Also as predicted Zero is is now dead…or dying…or in a coma…or in some state that leaves her dead eyes by episodes end. I admit to be […]

Megalo Box – 11 [A Deadmarch]

Incredible Megalo Box… Simply incredible. This week was perfect in every way but one, and at this point that one is easily overlooked. Let’s skip this preamble and jump right in! Megalo Box had a lot going on this week as we see the culmination of a lot of characters big arcs. Starting off, lets […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 10 [Pandora of Provable Existence -Forbidden Cubicle-]

Welcome one and all to another week of Steins;Gate 0! This week we have fluffy, lovable dates, awkward fan service and terrible revelations. Lets jump in! So overall this week felt mostly like a filler episode. I understand that some of the contents were necessary for relationship building and such. That it was a sort […]

Golden Kamuy – 10 [Fellow Traveler]

New episode, new season, new plan, new scenery and possible new set of enemy too. Considered Golden Kamuy’s track record, I won’t be surprised if the new face Kiroranke, at the risk of Asirpa slaps me on my face for saying so. He’s in the interesting position in all this, both an ex-7th Unit Hokkaido, […]

Darling in the Franxx – 20[A New World]

Suddenly, Aliens. If you are surprised by this sudden plot twist then I am guessing you are new to Trigger works. For in some form or another space gets involved. Indeed this is fairly reminiscent of Kill la Kill or Gurren Laggan and I will toot my own horn about somewhat anticipating it. I at […]

Hisone to Masotan – 09 [Eeeek!]

After a pretty excellent episode last week, HisoMaso goes into the direction I’m afraid the most: exploring the romance aspect that by all means we don’t really need in the first place. And they frame it in a manner I cannot get behind. Lets see, due to these girls develop a certain feeling, they intoxicate […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]