Posted by psgels on 1 March 2013 with categories: Monthly Summaries

As if this season wasn’t bad enough already: all of the non-sequel series that I did pick up this season did not improve, and got worse. Perhaps I chose the wrong series, but this season… it did not go well with me. It’s a good thing that the on-going series have such a strong line-up: there are not many, but the good shows that are there are getting really, really good.

#17 (15) – Little Busters – (7.6/10) – Here is the thing with Little Busters: I really like it… when it’s not too serious. When it tries to be too serious it becomes incredibly rushed, a complete info-dump and it gets incredibly forced. And yet I keep coming back to it for the moments when the characters are just having fun, or the small scenes with just a tiny bit of drama. Here is the thing though: this show likes to pretend that its core is these sad stories. It’s not really in its favor when that completely sucks.
#16 (11) – Amnesia – (7.6/10) – I still like the concept of skipping dimensions and dating other guys. But holy crap. That white-haired guy is a total prick. His arc was horribly contrived, and the blue-haired girl is one of the most forced villains I have seen in a long while. Talk about overreacting here.
#15 (14) – Kotoura-San – (7.75/10) – Kotoura-san. What was the reasoning behind having first a beach episode, and then a resort-episode? That’s like throwing your hands up in the air and giving up. Couldn’t you really find more interesting things for the characters to do? That made this show lose a lot of points for me, because I still like some of the characters here. Kotoura is great, the president and the vice president are also very nice. I’d just wish that this show would stop glorifying perverts. It’s not funny.
#14 (13) – Tamako Market – (7.75/10) – As much as I appreciate the details in this series, I have one big problem with it: I find the slice of life scenes to be quite boring. It’s got a lot of cultural information which is interesting, but the interaction between the characters just does not catch my attention. There is very little to the characters, and I find all of them quite dull. The bird in particular was fun at first, but has gotten quite annoying at this point.
#13 (8) – Saint Seiya Omega – (7.9/10) – Saint Seiya Omega made two really big mistakes this month: the first is using some of the biggest villains of the original Saint Seiya, and having the cast defeat them without much effort. The second is having such an incredibly cheesy background story for the main villain. So much for all the build-up, eh?
#12 (16) – Shirokuma Cafe – (8/10) – This show was going along its usual pace, still occasionally very funny, and most of all laid back, and then suddenly WHAM: Melodrama! I have no clue where all of that came from, but it really felt out of place, and quite weird for this show to suddenly be filled with tears. The change was waaaay too sudden and furthermore just about everyone started acting out of character… what happened?
#11 (12) – Magi – (8/10) – I’m really behind this, I’m sorry! But I do want to finish it. The thing with Magi is that it’s really well executed, but in the end the story just is not that interesting. It’s got some good elements about slavery, it has a good deal of emotions in it, but it’s a bit too shounen for such a setting for me.
#10 (9) – Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo – (8/10) – Sakurasou’s second half… just is not as good as its first half. The reason behind that is that everything has gotten more contrived: we have to have a lot of drama with the pointless love triangle, there has to be a lot of drama with Sakurasou closing down. It’s all too forced, and not as creative as the first half.
#9 (17) – Hunter X Hunter – (8.4/10)

We’re going through the Greed Island arc, and with this you can actually see that here, the Madhouse version is actually better than the Nippon Animation here. The fast pacing really helps here to keep things going, instead of getting bogged down by fight scenes that last for episodes. The thing with these series is that they need to learn when you need to be fast and when to be slow. You can’t just have one pacing and expect that to work throughout the entire series…

#8 (10) – AKB0048 – (8.4/10)

AKB really was well done this month, hard as it may have been to believe. It has taken a bunch of characters, and completely changed their role by revealing more about them. It’s still full of emotion and the music still is strangely great.

#7 (7) – Robotics;Notes – (8.4/10)

In this month, things went to hell for Robotics;Notes. It didn’t go entirely smoothly: the creators seemed too busy with following a checklist in order to squeeze everyone’s stories in without much flow, but the stories that were told were really impressive. The character-development that was there was quite impressive. The ride was really rocky, but interesting.

#6 (5) – Psycho Pass – (8.75/10)

Psycho Pass really went to town with its plot developments in this episode. The setting got a lot of developments, and you can now see that this series loves to play with it in its social commentary. The characters don’t have as much development as I would have liked, but they still remain interesting and solid. The animation is nicely inconsistent again, but hey: when it looks great, this series really looks great.

#5 (3) – Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – (8.75/10)

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: watch this if you want to see incredibly over the top fights. This month delivered that beyond a doubt. A common problem with shounen series is that as the enemies become more powerful, the fights get more boring and epic. Here though, the fights get more epic, yet stay as interesting as they have ever been with very creative and bizarre uses of powers. And the acting. The glorious overacting!

#4 (1) – Uchuu Kyoudai – (8.75/10)

Zomg, an episode in which Uchuu Kyouda is not at the top 2 for me? It finally happened. The reasoning behind this is that this was a month with a lot of build-up, compared to other shows this season that really hit some heights. As much as I love Uchuu Kyoudai (and the build-up really was excellent, make no mistake), I have to hand it to other series this month.

#3 (4) – From the New World – (8.9/10)

Holy crap, From the New World really surpassed itself this episode with an incredibly sad turn of events. I still cannot believe how far the creators went with this series, but I have to give it to this series: it really has some of the best villains out there. Their backgrounds, their actions, their threat. It really delivered and came together this month.

#2 (2) – Zetsuen no Tempest – (9/10)

Zetsuen no Tempest, I love you! The addition of romance and comedy in the second half was an incredibly bold move, and yet it works so well! The show still is very intelligent and full of mind-screws, which makes it all the better with such a silly backdrop behind it. It’s awesome to see the adults in this series go crazy with the fate of the world being decided by a bunch of impulsive teenagers, and the creators are making brilliant use of it, not to mention that the series has become hilarious.

#1 (6) – Chihayafuru – (9/10)

Chihayafuru, holy crap. After a relatively quiet beginning, it’s just completely back in full force. In particular the team match in this month was really awesome to watch. The strength of Chihayafuru is that it somehow manages to develop a dozen characters in one single episode every week. That strength really shined here, and to think that the match they were playing was nowhere near the most important one.

1. gurdlo says:

Chihayafuru huh? haven’t been following this one since season one ended. Guess it’s time to get back into this. I’m expecting great things from next month since I’m gonna catch up with From the New World and Zetsuen no Tempest. Uchuu Kyoudai will probably take awhile longer to hit another peak though. Jojo on the other hand, well you’ll see why it’s my favorite Shonen this month

2. Kaiserin Emma says:

Largely in agreement here though I’d move robotics to 5th and akb to 6th.

3. joshee says:

I have to agree. Although Magi is a very epic manga, it was handled poorly in recent episodes. Such a waste of potential. Sakurasou feels the same way too. But to a lesser extent.

Anyway,From the new world had always amazed me especially their recent loss of hope last episode that was epic.

4. Airies Einstein says:

FROM THE NEW WORLD IS MY WAIFU!

5. MCAL says:

Here’s some thoughts on several anime:
    Little Busters: Luckily for me, I have been enjoying the drama more then some. But I can definitely see why people think the drama is too much. Komari’s arc was just horrible though. Glad they finished it first. It seems to have different problems than Clannad. By that I mean, whatever Clannad did bad, LB does good and vice-versa. LB’s humor is better than Clannad. Clannad’s drama was better than LB. Clannad had perfect pacing, but because of that could barely scratch half of all the girls’ routes and left Clannad After Story disjointed in the first eight episodes, while LB is adapting all the girls’ routes and so far most of the common route main events, but has disjointed pacing. Looking it that way, they are exact opposites. Plus in my opinion, Haruka’s route was adapted better in the anime. I have it at 7/10 so far which is what I have with Clannad’s first season.

Kotoura-san: I have to disagree with this show glorifying perverts. The jury is still out with the grandpa (In fact the less of him, the better), but with Manabe, and in fact calling him a pervert may not even be the case, what I think they are trying to show us is that eroticism is an acknowledged part of life. And that having these thoughts doesn’t necessarily make you a horrible person, it means you are human. And even if you debase that, Manabe has much redeeming qualities. Take example the beach episode, where he saves Kotoura, and she hugs him in fear and he retrains himself from taking advantage of the moment. Not only that he’s pretty clever sometimes. Trying to hide his thoughts by doing multiplication tables is one example. And what this means for Kotoura is a lot. He’s completely open about himself, which makes him the perfect fit for the mind reading Kotoura. They have excellent chemistry together, some of best I’ve seen in a fanservice anime since Nazo no Kanojo X. And for some reason all of the ero moments of this show have me laughing hysterically (The drug food moment… Classic!) when I should be cringing, so I’m no pushover when it comes to those things. Not to mention Manabe can be a boss sometimes too, like when he lays into Moritani in episode 2 how he felt about her thoughts for Kotoura with the ferociousness she deserved. So yes, I compare Kotoura-san to Nazo no Kanojo X and like that show it gets an 8/10 for me.

HunterXHunter: I agree with the fast pacing for this series, but that’s not all. The music, the animation, the facial expressions, the Voice acting and the atmosphere, everything is much better then the OVA version, which now that I think about must have bored me to death.

Psycho Pass and Robotics;Notes: I’m going to have to digress and say that R;N is getting much better than PP. While PP continues to get slightly predictable and some plot points that don’t make any sense (And the animators seem not to care for it either), R;N keeps coming out with great episodes and all of them ending on excellent cliffhangers (And the animators do a much better job). So, i would give both of these an 8/10, but R;N would be a high 8/10, while PP would be a low 8/10.

I basically agree with everything else or I’m not watching some shows. Plus I’m still somehow being able to watch Oreshura (It’s mostly for Mazuzu most likely) and I’m enjoying Mondai-tachi. Some people compare it to Dog Days, but I thought Dog Days was boring and uninteresting. Yeah, Izayoi might be a Gary Stu, but he’s definitely much better to watch than Kirito. Plus, it can be clever sometimes (Unflippable skirts anyone).

Wow! This is long! Thanks for reading it though anybody who does.

6. Kamiorika says:

The individual routes in Little Busters are pretty rushed in the anime. Three episodes per route is barely cutting it. Of course, I personally thought the individual girls’ routes were pretty mediocre in the game as well. What makes Little Busters so great is Refrain, Rin’s routes and the common route, in my opinion.

7. Houlgrave says:

To be honest, the way that Little Busters! is being handled makes me feel a lot of trepidation: Refrain aside, LB! is fairly straightforward as a visual novel. But if they’re having this much trouble pacing out something like this, how the hell will anyone handle Rewrite when it eventually gets an adaptation? If LB! is Earth, then Rewrite’s like Jupiter….

8. Flawfinder says:

I really don’t think you picked the wrong shows. It’s just that this season is really bad aside from the carryovers. Hell, the Winter show I enjoy the most is Tamako Market (which I noticed is also your favorite of the non-sequel Winter anime), and I only think it’s decent.

• dp says:

Nope – probably just watching the wrong shows…

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha just had a really good episode, Vividred Operation is on its A-game (heck even Love Live is pretty decent)…

• kazid says:

You are rigth grong choices. Also Zettai karen children is at least best that the last 11 animes in the list. Love live in the end is much better that akb and Maoyuu is very well done.

9. ronbb says:

Agreed with your list here, and agreed with Flawfinder — this season is bad. Happy to see that Chihayafuru tops your number 1. I actually liked SSY better than ZnT, but that can be a personal preference.

10. A. says:

I have to disagree with you about Polar Bear’s Cafe; Panda actually exhibited some growth and maturity for a change, which was pretty refreshing for his character. The ‘melodrama’ worked for me, and felt very believable.

• MCAL says:

Hmm… Like psgels I though the melodrama was forced, but now that I’ve had time to think about it. I think Polar Bear cafe deserved to have just one episode like that after all the funny moments.

11. KaZuHiRo says:

I am not watching any anime from this season except AKB0048’s second season. That’s how really bad this season is. I sampled Amnesia and I found myself cooking spaghetti in the middle of the episode and didn’t have the urge to re-watch it – bleargh.

I have yet to finish Chihayafuru’s first season though – but I really got bored halfway through. Is it really worth the watch?

12. Firechick says:

“Here is the thing though: this show likes to pretend that its core is these sad stories. It’s not really in its favor when that completely sucks.”

This is something I’ve always wanted to ask about, Psgels. How can you tell whether a show knows or pretends to be something? You said once that Rio Rainbow Gate knows its a comedy and that Mawaru PenguinDrum knows it has great art and that Cuticle Detective Inaba believes its funny when its trying too hard. How can you tell this stuff?

13. jonas says:

“using some of the biggest villains of the original Saint Seiya, and having the cast defeat them without much effort”.

If you are talking about the Emperors of Mars, those guys didn´t appear in the original series.

Also, it seems we still have not seen the real villian. Medea is manipulating Mars, but she is working for someone else. This mirrors, the Asgard and Hades sagas of the original series.

14. kazid1 says:

Yuusha not in the list??? seriously…..

15. Ebisu says:

Amnesia is of the mistery genre, like a detective story with parallel worlds in a time bucle. Each boy acts as her boyfriend so you don’t have the typical love triangles or other plot typical plot devices, although you have that crazy fanclub. Kento’s arc was quite nice and soothing compared to the others. The differing personalities between worlds for Waka and maybe others characters are well used. The camera man looks to me like the joker of deck. This series are strangely appealing for an otome game.

About this season, I like Amnesia and AKB0048. I am thankful for so many continuing series (though Kingdom has taken recently a rest and Ginga e kick off is reaching the end too). Long series usually show a lot of great chapters if they don’t fall in the trap of using filler chapters.

• Toma ILY says:

as you can se by my name you knw what charcter i like the best from Amnesia ;) anyhoo i agree. Its interesting and if you played the game you’ll understand it better. ( I was ok with arcana famiglia and hiiro no kakera but i think Amnesia owns them lol) also episode 9 was really intense O_O still love Toma though tehe (Raw is cming out today asell…^_^)

16. kero says:

Yes to Chihayafuru being number 1

re Zetsuen.. the romance bit never worked for me because the girl just acts so OTT like yeah, girls go gaga for boys just like that.. ugh.

17. kraken says:

he, for Saint seiya Omega, the villains beaten in the series were never seen in the original saint seiya. Mars was never seen once time in the original Saint seiya.

And they were minor villains (Seiya could fight against Mars alone, it was impossible for him against Poseidon or Hades)
    Actually the villaions in Omega are far weaker than the one from the original series (they are at the level of the one seen in the movies)

And you forget something, the 4 god have been wounded by Athena during the last war and are still level downed by this wound.

18. kazid says:

gorgeous ep 9 of zettai karen children

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • ratsgnoF
    (Wednesday, Jun 1. 2016 05:23 AM)
    Qualidea Code is a collaboration of 3 authors. I look forward to Qualidea Code because it has Watari Wataru involved. He wrote Oregairu, and it was very well written. I’m not entirely sure how much influence Watari will have, but he gives this show some potential. The other 2 Authors involved don’t particularly seem to be anything special, but who knows.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Jun 1. 2016 03:34 AM)
    Ah the moment only Prisma Illya Drei, 91Days and Berserk catch my attention. Everything else is pretty Meh.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Jun 1. 2016 03:32 AM)
    @K-Off, That’s rather disappointing. Playing it now and they really do paint it black and white. Nohr are assholes, Hoshido are super amazing fun people. It’s all rather shallow.
    Considering what my friend told of Zestia it doesn’t give me much hope for the plot and I am not keen on Tales games to begin with.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 10:41 PM)
    You mean you don’t look forward to ufotable’s Zestiria X? It’s obviously going to be as good as the game…
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 10:29 PM)
    @Aidan There were only 2-3 original locations for each, the rest are shared by both games.
  • AidanAK47
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 06:02 PM)
    I am beginning to do a write up of next season’s preview and currently doing the research. So far next season isn’t looking good with not many interesting titles.
    When I get something decent made up I will send it out to all you guys to make comments or add your two cents.
  • AidanAK47
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 05:41 PM)
    Hmm..I would have thought the missions would be different at least.
  • AidanAK47
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 05:39 PM)
    Oh Sure, I will play the easy newcomer version birthright. And after that I will have a scented bath, a nice pedicure and spend the night watching the notebook and sex in the city. Like a pansy.
    Well jokes aside I will be playing birthright first because I am a completion is and I play things in order. But you bet your ass I bought conquest retail.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 04:47 PM)
    @Aidan Oh, I wasn’t complaining about the price, I got Conquest & Birthright off a friend for $35. I was complaining about rather how impersonal the decision feels in the overall story, and in terms of narrative one of those games utterly fails since the prologue chapters before 6 obviously pushes for one side of the story. I would not have wanted to drop additional money for a game I didn't feel was worth it, without spoilers all I'll say is both stories are virtually identical except with different skins. Exception being Revelation of course.
  • AidanAK47
    (Tuesday, May 31. 2016 04:21 PM)
    @K-Off, not really. Like I said, you buy one you get the other at a discount. Considering the length of the games its not exactly unfair to charge for both. But the choice is rather superficial though. Do you want to play the peace loving guys or the awesome warmongers? Kinda like asking a kid “Hey do you wanna play as a pillbug or a velocrapter?”

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Flying witch 08c

Flying witch – 08

Watching Flying witch really feel like listening to a classical music, where the long running time flies by and we actually feel it more than try to understand it. This week we continue what was left off last week, with Makoto, Chinatsu, Kei meeting the owners of the café shop and their regular customers. This […]

Mayoiga 09c

Mayoiga – 09

Now the trick to enjoy Mayoiga is to expect the unexpected. Anything could happen, and probably will. The series has successfully tweaked our noses weeks after weeks, then if Mayoiga stops being ridiculous and becomes conventional, I would be very disappointed. The fun is again on par this week and we have one of the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 09 2

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 09

This week I happened to see the result of delaying the release of Re:Zero on a certain message board. It was pure pandemonium as there were those too lazy to google demanding the next episode, trolls trying to convince people the episode was delayed to next week with fake screenshots of twitter posts, haters and […]

Kiznaiver - 08 1

Kiznaiver – 08

In my last post I assumed that this episode would be about Tenga as the episodes title seems to suggest but it turned out to be more an episode about Agata than anything else. It basically confirmed my previous assumptions about Agata and Noriko being involved with the previous Kiznaiver project when they were children […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 08a

Bungou Stray Dogs – 08

I have to say more than anything this is Bungou Stray Dogs’ special episode, in a sense that in one hand, the show produces one of its most brilliance ever, but on the other hand, there are still many shortcomings along with the greatness, producing an episode that mostly entertainment but uneven. The introduction of […]

Joker Game - 08 1

Joker Game – 08

Well Joker Game managed to pull a twist I didn’t see coming and what makes it rather amusing is that it did it unintentionally. For you see it took the entire episode for me to figure out that I wasn’t watching the antics of another spy of the D-agency only to figure out that this […]

Flying witch 07b

Flying witch – 07

One of the thing that Flying witch always does it right is how it establish the chemistry between any characters, while at the same time maintain the consistency in their personalities. It feels like if you give them any random characters in any random situation, pretty much the show can hit it off. Last week […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 08 1

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 08

I feel bad for the artists and animators who made the opening and ending for this show as they don’t seem to be getting much use. Not that I am complaining of course as if the choice is between a catchy theme song and more content then content wins every time. Though it is a […]

Kiznaiver - 07 4

Kiznaiver – 07

To some this may be the strongest episode of Kiznaiver to date. However to someone like myself I find myself mixed on what I just witnessed. I have said before that what I like about this series are the aspects which are distinctly Trigger which would be it’s sense of wacky humor and character chemistry. […]

romance of 3 kingdoms

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 4: Chinese Traditional Animated shows

Welcome to the last part of our Chinese animated guide. This part will cover Chinese traditional art style, for me personally this is the most enjoyable group. The first thing you might notice in these shows are they were in different format ratio, lean more towards the Academy ratio format. I always find their traditional art […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular in their mainland and some parts of Asian countries. With the success of Kung Fu Panda (half-produced by China) and its power on movies industry (China IS the main market for feature films now), it is worth it to take a look on this current trend and see how they are different from anime.
While my fellow bloggers are the ones who more specialize in Games and Manga, I will be the one who cover World Animation (by that I mean anything animated other than anime and American big studio animation – they got way too much coverage already). Like majority of you guys I am not from China, my Chinese is as good as my Japanese (which is to say NONE), so this is actually goddamn difficult to look for titles, and the information I could find are sacred here on top of that find a suitable sub for it, most of them does not even have an English name, thus the title and the synopsis that I give you here are just a rough translation. So behold. This is our very first attempt to cover the animation of china.

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 1: Computer Animated Wuxia shows

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular […]

asagao to kase-san

K-Off’s Ongoing Manga Recommendations (embedded links)

If you frequent the frontpage of Imgur or r/manga often, you may have seen some of my past manga recommendation lists before, but here’s some ongoing manga that I’ll recommend for now. This is in no particular order of best-worst, I’ve also embedded the links to the scanlations into the images for your convenience. 1. […]

New Manga Spotlight – Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne, Shoujo Fujuubun and Shimanami Tasogare

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne Two chapters so far. Ah love, that sweet nectar which all seek to experience. And truly there is nothing more romantic than gathering up your courage, inviting the girl you love up to the roof, taking her by the shoulders and proclaiming with all your […]

kQtrlYU

Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei video game review- 35/100 (avoid it like the plague)

To preface, I’d call this the poor man’s Fire Emblem if it wasn’t so damn expensive for its quality, not to mention so difficult to find. Here in New York City outside of lower Manhattan, there’s game stores in Brooklyn, Queens, Flatiron, and Newport, to a total count of 12 game stores in a 20 […]