Posted by psgels on 14 March 2013 with categories: Zetsuen no Tempest

Okay. If this isn’t a mindfuck then I don’t know anymore.

I have one question about this episode, but that is for below. First, I just want to praise this series for its absolutely wonderful rendition of Aika, who in two episodes really has become my favorite character of this series, with already an incredibly strong cast. The way she just blew Hakaze away with both her logic and powers was amazing.

In fact, this episode was so damn logical. That she killed herself: it was given the circumstances by far the most logical possible cause for her death, considering that she’s incredibly strong and the complete and utter lack of alternatives. But the reasons why really blew me away. The irony was wonderful: the way in which she decided to kill herself in order to be able to set the story in motion, in order to be able to defeat the tree of Genesis. Time travel is always tricky to write, but I really like what this show did with it. I also really liked the details at the end of the episode: Yoshino running past Hakaze, not knowing what will happen after half a year.

I just wonder: was suicide really the only way? What if Aika did not commit suicide, and instead used her knowledge to make things progress smoother? Could they have stopped the Kusaribe clan? Wouldn’t that have lead to a bigger chance of being able to stop the Tree of Genesis? Or was there some other kind of risk that I didn’t take into account here?
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. jzar says:

Yeah, I had the same thoughts you did. I still think it was awesome, they made me buy it and like it.

I can’t wait for the next episode.

2. Spike says:

Ok, as you said Time Travel is hard to do correctly. Basically If Aika doesn’t die, Mahiro has no reason to help Hakaze so she never escapes the island and when Samon wakes up the tree of Exodus (which in turn woke up the tree of Genesis) The tree of Genesis would destroy the Tree of Exodus (Hakaze was the one that stopped that when she returned from the past) and basically Civilization would fail the ‘test’ and be reset/destroyed. (as it has many times in the past if you follow the legends they talk about)

Basically Aika determines during the fight that Mahiro/Yoshino reacting to her death are the key to passing the Tree of Genesis’s test.

3. Rathje says:

I have to say Aika wasn’t the only one to shine this episode. Hakaze didn’t do to badly either.

You got to admire the sheer grit of a lovestruck girl who is willing to risk her love’s hatred by killing his old love – just so that the old flame’s death won’t be meaningless for Yoshino and he’ll be spared a bit of extra pain.

Even if it does make you question her grasp on reality…

4. zoop says:

If Aika didn’t die and instead changed history, the guys wouldn’t have ever met Hakaze, so Hakaze would never have been able to go back in time and tell Aika that she was going to die…

Although Hakaze did technically change history to get Aika to kill herself anyway…

But if getting Aika to kill herself was a precondition for Hakaze to meet mahiro et al and Aika meeting mahiro et al was a precondition for getting Aika to kill herself, isn’t that a paradox?

5. tomtom says:

This is the kind of confusing stuff you always get with time-travel plots :). The way I see it, the fact that Hakaze shows up from the future to tell Aika that she will die is what convinces Aika that she in fact must die. She realizes it is predetermined, because she knows from Hakaze what future will come to pass.

6. Puran says:

I guess what the series wants us to buy (and I’m buying I guess) is that Aika thought, “if I die, the world defnitely moves towards the Tree of Genesis is being defeated. If I live, then… anything could happen”. It was a choice between (almost) certainty and chance.

7. Lynch says:

I’m sure Aika fears the ‘butterfly effect’. Who knows how screwed up the result of changing this timeline could be. The chances of the next timeline having a better outcome are pretty slim.

8. HK-47 says:

They’ve executed it well enough that I’m buying it, paradox and all.

9. one says:

Or they could just do it the steins;gate way…

10. nodbgp says:

And who said they didn’t?

If Aika is a sorcerer powerfull enough to make her suicide looks like a murder, she might as well fake the death itself, and if that was her intention she would obviously not tell Hakaze.

But even if its not the case I will not complain because even if somebody else got Aika’s power it was Yoshino who inherited her heart and the whole poetry of the situation is awesome enough.

• Qate says:

If that’s true then Hanimura wouldn’t get his power. As was explained in the episode, his power awoke prematurely, because Aika’s death wasn’t expected.

• LMekko says:

Odd as it is, this makes me wonder… we still don’t know who his girlfriend is. Would be hilarious if it was Aika and she gave him that power knowing (via this conversation in the past) that he’d have that power in the future >_> Doubt that’s what they’re doing but it’d be cool :P

11. Blizt says:

I’m thinking that Aika simply didn’t want to risk it. Whether she decided spare herself and went for other options, or whether those options may cause a paradox or not, are not actually important here; in the future that she’s being told, it’s almost certained that if they followed down that path, and all went well, Tree of Genesis will be defeated, Yoshino and Mahiro (who are really the only people she cares in the whole world) will live on, that will be enough for her.

But shall she decide to try out other method without her dying, she would be facing great uncertainty, the future may go very wrong, and in the end cause those two to die…so to her, why risk it.

12. AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Question. How did Aika know that the tree of genesis would eventually destory humanity? Hell how does she know all this info in the first place. Sure you can pull the “She’s the princess of Exodus” and say that’s why but in that case why is the princess of genesis clueless about all this?

• Blizt says:

Looks like you didn’t watch the show carefully. Since her early childhood, the moment she’s been granted with the power of Exodus, she also received all the truth and information that comes along with it.

She knows so much, more than anyone in this world, that if she wasn’t fated to die, she would be the one to explain everything to those who wish to defeat Tree of Genesis.

13. Loz says:

I disagree Psgels. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the show, and this episode in particular was great. However for a shows that has the notion of being ‘logical’ on certain things, it is actually so illogical on a lot of instances.

Anyway I did enjoy this episode. Aika’s character is presented well.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Illogical indeed. Even with this episode. For example in this episode Aika has not thought of the fact that her death may delay the destruction of the world but without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on. Therefore negating the point of her death. Also her entire logic for this is from the representative of her enemy with no guarantee that shes telling the truth. Which seems to be a running theme. People making rash decisions based on theory with no evidence.

• Wawawa says:

>without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on

You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. Opening the path to defeat the Tree of Genesis has already served her purpose as the Mage of Exodus. And the fact that the Tree of Exodus has always has a backup mage to replace its current one. Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.

And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’. Hell, they’re not really the Tree of Genesis’s representatives, it’s more accurate to call them its tools, a fact even its current generation of the clan has realized which leads to Samon’s actions. They’re just regular humans who basically carry out the Tree of Genesis’ will only since they thought they’re protecting the world, and the Tree of Exodus as the real threat to humanity, but with all things going bonkers, even Hakaze who never doubted that fact before started to question which is the right course of action should they take.

Taking all of these things into consideration, it’s really nothing rash for Aika to deduce that Hakaze is actually telling the truth. Even the time-travelling doesn’t seem too far off when she herself is a mage with vast knowledge of things that people have never been aware before the Tree’s awakening.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

“You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. ”
          Theory. No evidence.

“Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.”
          Lazy plot device.

“And let’s not forget that she deduced that Hakaze is telling the truth since everything that she told her fits with all the things that she, Aika herself know about the whole situation, and some facts that Hakaze knows about her that can only be heard from Yoshino and Mahiro themselves.”
          Theory. No evidence. As for the things Mahiro and Yosino know about her there is nothing that says she could have learned that by becoming involved with them and not revealing darker intentions.

“And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’.”
          But the princess of Genesis clearly is.

• Tulip says:

I agree with everything that you said. This is becoming like the ending of occult academy. Time Paradox fail.

14. TheUltimateReaper says:

I found myself largely unsurprised by this episode, and despite the naysayers everything is indeed logical. However, much like Hazake I wasn’t ready nor am I now able to accept tragedy. See, I hate Shakespeare… and I hate tragedy. It’s just too said for me. Why can’t Aika live? And that’s where I really empathize with psgels last point. Did she really have to die? Wasn’t there some other way?

Steins;Gate indeed holds the answer, well not completely. A false death may have worked but the latent mage of exodus would not have arisen, changing the future a bit. Though that depends on the details of awakening, whether it’s based on information or the existence of the mage of exodus.

I can’t really accept it. The world has been repeating, with each reincarnation of the world failing to get it right in the eyes of Genesis. So then the question remains if the best option really is to defeat the trees as a way to “pass the test”.

This show quickly grew from what I thought was going to be a mediocre bore fest to something quite delectable.

As of right now I can’t really made predictions. The ending in this case is going to be determined, I assume, more by the writer’s emotion rather than logic. Belief and values over a sense of right or justice. I haven’t thought about it really, and don’t care to. I’ll let this ending come to me on its own.

15. HunterWulf says:

Remember guys, another Shakespeare story involved a fake death .. Romeo and Juliet .. Juliet was supposed to fake her own death to escape her forced marriage and escape with Romeo .. things ended up tragically when Romeo thought she really died and killed himself .. then she woke up and killed herself as well -for real this time- when she realized what happened … with those people talking about how Aika could have faked her own death to set things in motion made me think of R&J .. after all .. why just limit things to the Tempest and Hamlet.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

True, but as the episode mentioned the details of the latent mage of Exodus’s awakening has a part in that. It appears that the only way he would have activated was upon real death, unless there is something we don’t know. I’m just going to wait out on the ending. I’m only interested in solving mysteries when the show actually asks the question.

• HunterWulf says:

Remember that people who serve the tree of Genesis get similar powers to the princess of Genesis .. there is nothing preventing Hanimura from being just a servant of the tree of Exodus .. in fact anyone who serves that tree will be way more powerful than anyone serving the tree of Genesis becasue of the limitation removal (the fact they don’t need to sacrifice anything to use magic) .. what we don’t know is how someone becomes a servant of the tree of Genesis or Exodus .. probably just getting selected by the corresponding princess is the condition.

For all i care Hanimura’s girlfriend could be Aika who handed him part of her powers to set things in motion.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Sounds like wild speculation, but I suppose nothing is certain.

• This is an astute deduction,
          and if it really was true, it would also contribute a lot to the coherence of the events, which I consider a crucial determination base for the quality of time travel stories.

However, I am frowning about the way the script writer likes to resolve any conflict through dialouge and plot twists. It’s just too comfortable, and feels a litte bit constructed.

True, the end leaves much room for speculations, even too much for anyhing specific at all, which is good I guess.

But let’s be optimistic: BONES can atone for all screwed up endings with this series.

16. psgels psgels says:

In case you’re wondering. I deleted a few posts which went totally off-topic into a bash-fest. Those involved know who I’m talking about, and should be ashamed of themselves. Please refrain from doing that again.

17. gurdlo says:

Holy,what was going on in this thread. Half the comments were deleted.

Customize
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]