Posted by psgels on 14 March 2013 with categories: Zetsuen no Tempest

Okay. If this isn’t a mindfuck then I don’t know anymore.

I have one question about this episode, but that is for below. First, I just want to praise this series for its absolutely wonderful rendition of Aika, who in two episodes really has become my favorite character of this series, with already an incredibly strong cast. The way she just blew Hakaze away with both her logic and powers was amazing.

In fact, this episode was so damn logical. That she killed herself: it was given the circumstances by far the most logical possible cause for her death, considering that she’s incredibly strong and the complete and utter lack of alternatives. But the reasons why really blew me away. The irony was wonderful: the way in which she decided to kill herself in order to be able to set the story in motion, in order to be able to defeat the tree of Genesis. Time travel is always tricky to write, but I really like what this show did with it. I also really liked the details at the end of the episode: Yoshino running past Hakaze, not knowing what will happen after half a year.

I just wonder: was suicide really the only way? What if Aika did not commit suicide, and instead used her knowledge to make things progress smoother? Could they have stopped the Kusaribe clan? Wouldn’t that have lead to a bigger chance of being able to stop the Tree of Genesis? Or was there some other kind of risk that I didn’t take into account here?
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. jzar says:

Yeah, I had the same thoughts you did. I still think it was awesome, they made me buy it and like it.

I can’t wait for the next episode.

2. Spike says:

Ok, as you said Time Travel is hard to do correctly. Basically If Aika doesn’t die, Mahiro has no reason to help Hakaze so she never escapes the island and when Samon wakes up the tree of Exodus (which in turn woke up the tree of Genesis) The tree of Genesis would destroy the Tree of Exodus (Hakaze was the one that stopped that when she returned from the past) and basically Civilization would fail the ‘test’ and be reset/destroyed. (as it has many times in the past if you follow the legends they talk about)

Basically Aika determines during the fight that Mahiro/Yoshino reacting to her death are the key to passing the Tree of Genesis’s test.

3. Rathje says:

I have to say Aika wasn’t the only one to shine this episode. Hakaze didn’t do to badly either.

You got to admire the sheer grit of a lovestruck girl who is willing to risk her love’s hatred by killing his old love – just so that the old flame’s death won’t be meaningless for Yoshino and he’ll be spared a bit of extra pain.

Even if it does make you question her grasp on reality…

4. zoop says:

If Aika didn’t die and instead changed history, the guys wouldn’t have ever met Hakaze, so Hakaze would never have been able to go back in time and tell Aika that she was going to die…

Although Hakaze did technically change history to get Aika to kill herself anyway…

But if getting Aika to kill herself was a precondition for Hakaze to meet mahiro et al and Aika meeting mahiro et al was a precondition for getting Aika to kill herself, isn’t that a paradox?

5. tomtom says:

This is the kind of confusing stuff you always get with time-travel plots :). The way I see it, the fact that Hakaze shows up from the future to tell Aika that she will die is what convinces Aika that she in fact must die. She realizes it is predetermined, because she knows from Hakaze what future will come to pass.

6. Puran says:

I guess what the series wants us to buy (and I’m buying I guess) is that Aika thought, “if I die, the world defnitely moves towards the Tree of Genesis is being defeated. If I live, then… anything could happen”. It was a choice between (almost) certainty and chance.

7. Lynch says:

I’m sure Aika fears the ‘butterfly effect’. Who knows how screwed up the result of changing this timeline could be. The chances of the next timeline having a better outcome are pretty slim.

8. HK-47 says:

They’ve executed it well enough that I’m buying it, paradox and all.

9. one says:

Or they could just do it the steins;gate way…

10. nodbgp says:

And who said they didn’t?

If Aika is a sorcerer powerfull enough to make her suicide looks like a murder, she might as well fake the death itself, and if that was her intention she would obviously not tell Hakaze.

But even if its not the case I will not complain because even if somebody else got Aika’s power it was Yoshino who inherited her heart and the whole poetry of the situation is awesome enough.

• Qate says:

If that’s true then Hanimura wouldn’t get his power. As was explained in the episode, his power awoke prematurely, because Aika’s death wasn’t expected.

• LMekko says:

Odd as it is, this makes me wonder… we still don’t know who his girlfriend is. Would be hilarious if it was Aika and she gave him that power knowing (via this conversation in the past) that he’d have that power in the future >_> Doubt that’s what they’re doing but it’d be cool :P

11. Blizt says:

I’m thinking that Aika simply didn’t want to risk it. Whether she decided spare herself and went for other options, or whether those options may cause a paradox or not, are not actually important here; in the future that she’s being told, it’s almost certained that if they followed down that path, and all went well, Tree of Genesis will be defeated, Yoshino and Mahiro (who are really the only people she cares in the whole world) will live on, that will be enough for her.

But shall she decide to try out other method without her dying, she would be facing great uncertainty, the future may go very wrong, and in the end cause those two to die…so to her, why risk it.

12. AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Question. How did Aika know that the tree of genesis would eventually destory humanity? Hell how does she know all this info in the first place. Sure you can pull the “She’s the princess of Exodus” and say that’s why but in that case why is the princess of genesis clueless about all this?

• Blizt says:

Looks like you didn’t watch the show carefully. Since her early childhood, the moment she’s been granted with the power of Exodus, she also received all the truth and information that comes along with it.

She knows so much, more than anyone in this world, that if she wasn’t fated to die, she would be the one to explain everything to those who wish to defeat Tree of Genesis.

13. Loz says:

I disagree Psgels. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the show, and this episode in particular was great. However for a shows that has the notion of being ‘logical’ on certain things, it is actually so illogical on a lot of instances.

Anyway I did enjoy this episode. Aika’s character is presented well.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Illogical indeed. Even with this episode. For example in this episode Aika has not thought of the fact that her death may delay the destruction of the world but without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on. Therefore negating the point of her death. Also her entire logic for this is from the representative of her enemy with no guarantee that shes telling the truth. Which seems to be a running theme. People making rash decisions based on theory with no evidence.

• Wawawa says:

>without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on

You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. Opening the path to defeat the Tree of Genesis has already served her purpose as the Mage of Exodus. And the fact that the Tree of Exodus has always has a backup mage to replace its current one. Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.

And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’. Hell, they’re not really the Tree of Genesis’s representatives, it’s more accurate to call them its tools, a fact even its current generation of the clan has realized which leads to Samon’s actions. They’re just regular humans who basically carry out the Tree of Genesis’ will only since they thought they’re protecting the world, and the Tree of Exodus as the real threat to humanity, but with all things going bonkers, even Hakaze who never doubted that fact before started to question which is the right course of action should they take.

Taking all of these things into consideration, it’s really nothing rash for Aika to deduce that Hakaze is actually telling the truth. Even the time-travelling doesn’t seem too far off when she herself is a mage with vast knowledge of things that people have never been aware before the Tree’s awakening.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

“You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. ”
          Theory. No evidence.

“Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.”
          Lazy plot device.

“And let’s not forget that she deduced that Hakaze is telling the truth since everything that she told her fits with all the things that she, Aika herself know about the whole situation, and some facts that Hakaze knows about her that can only be heard from Yoshino and Mahiro themselves.”
          Theory. No evidence. As for the things Mahiro and Yosino know about her there is nothing that says she could have learned that by becoming involved with them and not revealing darker intentions.

“And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’.”
          But the princess of Genesis clearly is.

• Tulip says:

I agree with everything that you said. This is becoming like the ending of occult academy. Time Paradox fail.

14. TheUltimateReaper says:

I found myself largely unsurprised by this episode, and despite the naysayers everything is indeed logical. However, much like Hazake I wasn’t ready nor am I now able to accept tragedy. See, I hate Shakespeare… and I hate tragedy. It’s just too said for me. Why can’t Aika live? And that’s where I really empathize with psgels last point. Did she really have to die? Wasn’t there some other way?

Steins;Gate indeed holds the answer, well not completely. A false death may have worked but the latent mage of exodus would not have arisen, changing the future a bit. Though that depends on the details of awakening, whether it’s based on information or the existence of the mage of exodus.

I can’t really accept it. The world has been repeating, with each reincarnation of the world failing to get it right in the eyes of Genesis. So then the question remains if the best option really is to defeat the trees as a way to “pass the test”.

This show quickly grew from what I thought was going to be a mediocre bore fest to something quite delectable.

As of right now I can’t really made predictions. The ending in this case is going to be determined, I assume, more by the writer’s emotion rather than logic. Belief and values over a sense of right or justice. I haven’t thought about it really, and don’t care to. I’ll let this ending come to me on its own.

15. HunterWulf says:

Remember guys, another Shakespeare story involved a fake death .. Romeo and Juliet .. Juliet was supposed to fake her own death to escape her forced marriage and escape with Romeo .. things ended up tragically when Romeo thought she really died and killed himself .. then she woke up and killed herself as well -for real this time- when she realized what happened … with those people talking about how Aika could have faked her own death to set things in motion made me think of R&J .. after all .. why just limit things to the Tempest and Hamlet.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

True, but as the episode mentioned the details of the latent mage of Exodus’s awakening has a part in that. It appears that the only way he would have activated was upon real death, unless there is something we don’t know. I’m just going to wait out on the ending. I’m only interested in solving mysteries when the show actually asks the question.

• HunterWulf says:

Remember that people who serve the tree of Genesis get similar powers to the princess of Genesis .. there is nothing preventing Hanimura from being just a servant of the tree of Exodus .. in fact anyone who serves that tree will be way more powerful than anyone serving the tree of Genesis becasue of the limitation removal (the fact they don’t need to sacrifice anything to use magic) .. what we don’t know is how someone becomes a servant of the tree of Genesis or Exodus .. probably just getting selected by the corresponding princess is the condition.

For all i care Hanimura’s girlfriend could be Aika who handed him part of her powers to set things in motion.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Sounds like wild speculation, but I suppose nothing is certain.

• This is an astute deduction,
          and if it really was true, it would also contribute a lot to the coherence of the events, which I consider a crucial determination base for the quality of time travel stories.

However, I am frowning about the way the script writer likes to resolve any conflict through dialouge and plot twists. It’s just too comfortable, and feels a litte bit constructed.

True, the end leaves much room for speculations, even too much for anyhing specific at all, which is good I guess.

But let’s be optimistic: BONES can atone for all screwed up endings with this series.

16. psgels psgels says:

In case you’re wondering. I deleted a few posts which went totally off-topic into a bash-fest. Those involved know who I’m talking about, and should be ashamed of themselves. Please refrain from doing that again.

17. gurdlo says:

Holy,what was going on in this thread. Half the comments were deleted.

Customize
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373