Posted by psgels on 14 March 2013 with categories: Zetsuen no Tempest

Okay. If this isn’t a mindfuck then I don’t know anymore.

I have one question about this episode, but that is for below. First, I just want to praise this series for its absolutely wonderful rendition of Aika, who in two episodes really has become my favorite character of this series, with already an incredibly strong cast. The way she just blew Hakaze away with both her logic and powers was amazing.

In fact, this episode was so damn logical. That she killed herself: it was given the circumstances by far the most logical possible cause for her death, considering that she’s incredibly strong and the complete and utter lack of alternatives. But the reasons why really blew me away. The irony was wonderful: the way in which she decided to kill herself in order to be able to set the story in motion, in order to be able to defeat the tree of Genesis. Time travel is always tricky to write, but I really like what this show did with it. I also really liked the details at the end of the episode: Yoshino running past Hakaze, not knowing what will happen after half a year.

I just wonder: was suicide really the only way? What if Aika did not commit suicide, and instead used her knowledge to make things progress smoother? Could they have stopped the Kusaribe clan? Wouldn’t that have lead to a bigger chance of being able to stop the Tree of Genesis? Or was there some other kind of risk that I didn’t take into account here?
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. jzar says:

Yeah, I had the same thoughts you did. I still think it was awesome, they made me buy it and like it.

I can’t wait for the next episode.

2. Spike says:

Ok, as you said Time Travel is hard to do correctly. Basically If Aika doesn’t die, Mahiro has no reason to help Hakaze so she never escapes the island and when Samon wakes up the tree of Exodus (which in turn woke up the tree of Genesis) The tree of Genesis would destroy the Tree of Exodus (Hakaze was the one that stopped that when she returned from the past) and basically Civilization would fail the ‘test’ and be reset/destroyed. (as it has many times in the past if you follow the legends they talk about)

Basically Aika determines during the fight that Mahiro/Yoshino reacting to her death are the key to passing the Tree of Genesis’s test.

3. Rathje says:

I have to say Aika wasn’t the only one to shine this episode. Hakaze didn’t do to badly either.

You got to admire the sheer grit of a lovestruck girl who is willing to risk her love’s hatred by killing his old love – just so that the old flame’s death won’t be meaningless for Yoshino and he’ll be spared a bit of extra pain.

Even if it does make you question her grasp on reality…

4. zoop says:

If Aika didn’t die and instead changed history, the guys wouldn’t have ever met Hakaze, so Hakaze would never have been able to go back in time and tell Aika that she was going to die…

Although Hakaze did technically change history to get Aika to kill herself anyway…

But if getting Aika to kill herself was a precondition for Hakaze to meet mahiro et al and Aika meeting mahiro et al was a precondition for getting Aika to kill herself, isn’t that a paradox?

5. tomtom says:

This is the kind of confusing stuff you always get with time-travel plots :). The way I see it, the fact that Hakaze shows up from the future to tell Aika that she will die is what convinces Aika that she in fact must die. She realizes it is predetermined, because she knows from Hakaze what future will come to pass.

6. Puran says:

I guess what the series wants us to buy (and I’m buying I guess) is that Aika thought, “if I die, the world defnitely moves towards the Tree of Genesis is being defeated. If I live, then… anything could happen”. It was a choice between (almost) certainty and chance.

7. Lynch says:

I’m sure Aika fears the ‘butterfly effect’. Who knows how screwed up the result of changing this timeline could be. The chances of the next timeline having a better outcome are pretty slim.

8. HK-47 says:

They’ve executed it well enough that I’m buying it, paradox and all.

9. one says:

Or they could just do it the steins;gate way…

10. nodbgp says:

And who said they didn’t?

If Aika is a sorcerer powerfull enough to make her suicide looks like a murder, she might as well fake the death itself, and if that was her intention she would obviously not tell Hakaze.

But even if its not the case I will not complain because even if somebody else got Aika’s power it was Yoshino who inherited her heart and the whole poetry of the situation is awesome enough.

• Qate says:

If that’s true then Hanimura wouldn’t get his power. As was explained in the episode, his power awoke prematurely, because Aika’s death wasn’t expected.

• LMekko says:

Odd as it is, this makes me wonder… we still don’t know who his girlfriend is. Would be hilarious if it was Aika and she gave him that power knowing (via this conversation in the past) that he’d have that power in the future >_> Doubt that’s what they’re doing but it’d be cool :P

11. Blizt says:

I’m thinking that Aika simply didn’t want to risk it. Whether she decided spare herself and went for other options, or whether those options may cause a paradox or not, are not actually important here; in the future that she’s being told, it’s almost certained that if they followed down that path, and all went well, Tree of Genesis will be defeated, Yoshino and Mahiro (who are really the only people she cares in the whole world) will live on, that will be enough for her.

But shall she decide to try out other method without her dying, she would be facing great uncertainty, the future may go very wrong, and in the end cause those two to die…so to her, why risk it.

12. AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Question. How did Aika know that the tree of genesis would eventually destory humanity? Hell how does she know all this info in the first place. Sure you can pull the “She’s the princess of Exodus” and say that’s why but in that case why is the princess of genesis clueless about all this?

• Blizt says:

Looks like you didn’t watch the show carefully. Since her early childhood, the moment she’s been granted with the power of Exodus, she also received all the truth and information that comes along with it.

She knows so much, more than anyone in this world, that if she wasn’t fated to die, she would be the one to explain everything to those who wish to defeat Tree of Genesis.

13. Loz says:

I disagree Psgels. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the show, and this episode in particular was great. However for a shows that has the notion of being ‘logical’ on certain things, it is actually so illogical on a lot of instances.

Anyway I did enjoy this episode. Aika’s character is presented well.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Illogical indeed. Even with this episode. For example in this episode Aika has not thought of the fact that her death may delay the destruction of the world but without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on. Therefore negating the point of her death. Also her entire logic for this is from the representative of her enemy with no guarantee that shes telling the truth. Which seems to be a running theme. People making rash decisions based on theory with no evidence.

• Wawawa says:

>without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on

You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. Opening the path to defeat the Tree of Genesis has already served her purpose as the Mage of Exodus. And the fact that the Tree of Exodus has always has a backup mage to replace its current one. Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.

And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’. Hell, they’re not really the Tree of Genesis’s representatives, it’s more accurate to call them its tools, a fact even its current generation of the clan has realized which leads to Samon’s actions. They’re just regular humans who basically carry out the Tree of Genesis’ will only since they thought they’re protecting the world, and the Tree of Exodus as the real threat to humanity, but with all things going bonkers, even Hakaze who never doubted that fact before started to question which is the right course of action should they take.

Taking all of these things into consideration, it’s really nothing rash for Aika to deduce that Hakaze is actually telling the truth. Even the time-travelling doesn’t seem too far off when she herself is a mage with vast knowledge of things that people have never been aware before the Tree’s awakening.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

“You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. ”
          Theory. No evidence.

“Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.”
          Lazy plot device.

“And let’s not forget that she deduced that Hakaze is telling the truth since everything that she told her fits with all the things that she, Aika herself know about the whole situation, and some facts that Hakaze knows about her that can only be heard from Yoshino and Mahiro themselves.”
          Theory. No evidence. As for the things Mahiro and Yosino know about her there is nothing that says she could have learned that by becoming involved with them and not revealing darker intentions.

“And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’.”
          But the princess of Genesis clearly is.

• Tulip says:

I agree with everything that you said. This is becoming like the ending of occult academy. Time Paradox fail.

14. TheUltimateReaper says:

I found myself largely unsurprised by this episode, and despite the naysayers everything is indeed logical. However, much like Hazake I wasn’t ready nor am I now able to accept tragedy. See, I hate Shakespeare… and I hate tragedy. It’s just too said for me. Why can’t Aika live? And that’s where I really empathize with psgels last point. Did she really have to die? Wasn’t there some other way?

Steins;Gate indeed holds the answer, well not completely. A false death may have worked but the latent mage of exodus would not have arisen, changing the future a bit. Though that depends on the details of awakening, whether it’s based on information or the existence of the mage of exodus.

I can’t really accept it. The world has been repeating, with each reincarnation of the world failing to get it right in the eyes of Genesis. So then the question remains if the best option really is to defeat the trees as a way to “pass the test”.

This show quickly grew from what I thought was going to be a mediocre bore fest to something quite delectable.

As of right now I can’t really made predictions. The ending in this case is going to be determined, I assume, more by the writer’s emotion rather than logic. Belief and values over a sense of right or justice. I haven’t thought about it really, and don’t care to. I’ll let this ending come to me on its own.

15. HunterWulf says:

Remember guys, another Shakespeare story involved a fake death .. Romeo and Juliet .. Juliet was supposed to fake her own death to escape her forced marriage and escape with Romeo .. things ended up tragically when Romeo thought she really died and killed himself .. then she woke up and killed herself as well -for real this time- when she realized what happened … with those people talking about how Aika could have faked her own death to set things in motion made me think of R&J .. after all .. why just limit things to the Tempest and Hamlet.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

True, but as the episode mentioned the details of the latent mage of Exodus’s awakening has a part in that. It appears that the only way he would have activated was upon real death, unless there is something we don’t know. I’m just going to wait out on the ending. I’m only interested in solving mysteries when the show actually asks the question.

• HunterWulf says:

Remember that people who serve the tree of Genesis get similar powers to the princess of Genesis .. there is nothing preventing Hanimura from being just a servant of the tree of Exodus .. in fact anyone who serves that tree will be way more powerful than anyone serving the tree of Genesis becasue of the limitation removal (the fact they don’t need to sacrifice anything to use magic) .. what we don’t know is how someone becomes a servant of the tree of Genesis or Exodus .. probably just getting selected by the corresponding princess is the condition.

For all i care Hanimura’s girlfriend could be Aika who handed him part of her powers to set things in motion.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Sounds like wild speculation, but I suppose nothing is certain.

• This is an astute deduction,
          and if it really was true, it would also contribute a lot to the coherence of the events, which I consider a crucial determination base for the quality of time travel stories.

However, I am frowning about the way the script writer likes to resolve any conflict through dialouge and plot twists. It’s just too comfortable, and feels a litte bit constructed.

True, the end leaves much room for speculations, even too much for anyhing specific at all, which is good I guess.

But let’s be optimistic: BONES can atone for all screwed up endings with this series.

16. psgels psgels says:

In case you’re wondering. I deleted a few posts which went totally off-topic into a bash-fest. Those involved know who I’m talking about, and should be ashamed of themselves. Please refrain from doing that again.

17. gurdlo says:

Holy,what was going on in this thread. Half the comments were deleted.

Am I really going to draft up a chart gathering average review scores of the past 25 years just t shut up this talk of anime dying?
But even if I did that won't toss aside this nonsense.
I know this is complete guesswork.
Plus the industry is dying? Bloody hell, we got major companies FUNDING anime. Streaming services and more anime coming out that ever before. You can argue that this new anime is weaker but honestly it's just misguided. It takes time but great shows are still coming out. Just like back then.
Well thats kind of what I meant, what, when passage of time comes into it are going to end up being classic based on that, speculatively speaking.
Thats probably a much better way of phrasing it, inheriting mantles. I'm going to say that promised neverland is presently along with Titan a BIG modern shounen.
Anyway my point is that the shows of the past, the so called classics, are just as flawed as the shows of today. It is only through the passage of time that they become classics. When Stein;Gate finished airing, I seen no one call it a classic. Same goes for Madoka and Fate/Zero. Now, you have people putting up the pedestals.
Though if anything has inherited the Shounen mantle, it's likely Boku no hero.
There is no big three Shounen and that's honestly for the best. Because in generally the declining aspect of Naruto and Bleach was mainly due to the pressure on the mangaka to put out chapters on a weekly basis. In fact it's pretty much the primary factor in Bleachs decline.
Bebop is great but even it is hit and miss by nature. Doubt many remember much about the casino episode and the Alien spoof episode is likely not anyone's favorite. Eva is massively flawed but no one wants to admit it due to the massive amount of praise it receives and influence it has on the industry.
But what is the new big three shounen?
If we go further back to DBZ, that has tons of issues with filler, dragging out episodes, animation shortcuts, and even complaints of it doing the same thing over and over again with it's story. No to mention the underutilised cast and the everlasting act up putting Goku on a greater pedestal.
But let us dissect this viewpoint of yours. You claim the Shouen-jump canon as a great, guessing that refers to the shounen big three. But aside from One piece, the other two are emmensily flawed. Naruto is 50% filler and Bleach drops seriously in quality after soul society.
Also Fate series is trash? That definitely seems aimed at me. What first series are you referring to? Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night 2006? Fate/UTW? The same thing over and over again? Sure each series has a holy grail war, but none of them every turned out the same. I am more than willing to admit that the spinoff series outside of the main canon are lesser. Calling them trash however is hyperbole.
@Anon, Not this crap again. The old "Anime isn't as good as it used to be", how many times have I heard that over the years, and each and every time it proves more untrue.
One point I'm trying to get at is, I don't get throwing the word bad taste around when I know I was probably in the same position as that other fan years ago.
Another thing, for shows we talk up and obviously I've been just as guilty of this, how many of these am I going to be able to recite off by heart years down the line?
I don't like Madoka but thats a good example of a modern classic that'll keep in peoples minds, people still care.
*its a
@Anon: The reason I want to see a new show become a modern classic is because I'm tired of this "fleeting masterpiece" way of thinking, where I a show is super popular during the season and gets talked up as if it'll stick in the mind years on, then weeks later it disappears from memory.
Anonymous1819907
And anime watchers tend to be attracted to series that are just plain boring. The Fate franchise is case and point. The same thing over and over again. It really is a disgrace, to be honest--in my opinion. The first series was great, and I look forward to the movie. But everything in between is trash. But they still get the views, since people are sheep.
Anonymous1819907
The shonen-jump canon, shows like bebop and eva were huge in their time. The industry is just not the same--it's really dying. There isn't the same desire to blow shows up like there used to be. Shonen jump is still at it, but those shows are rarely worth watching, even if they're popular
Anonymous1819907
its a good anime, but it doesn't have the same staying power since it was not an entire industry
Sorry for the long post, I want to get people talking again here.
I would love for this to happen with, say, made in Abyss, that becoming a show that we remember decades from now and still talk about.
Something else I want to bring up, what shows do you all REALLY believe will still be talked about in the future . Bebop and Eva still come up regularly to this day, what new shows do you think will become big classics.
To base taste on things you watched ages ago doesn't really work.
I bring that up because I remember a comment somewhere I read that said, the people who trashed guilty crown, forget geass was 10 years ago and if guilty crown had came out back then instead of geass they would have embraced it instead at the time.
On the bad taste thing, I could easily say Mahouka or sword art are terrible, but back when I watched and loved code geass people where probably bashing it as overhyped shit in the same way people like to do with sword art/mahouka now.
I sure years ago I would have been all over violet evergarden.
For example most anime/manga melodrama has lost its effect on me, I hate Clannad and Kanon now and I won't watch the new code geass season because I want to crop it and death note both up to a teenage error and mistake.
And in some cases it only takes five or so years.
If not that, it’s the show no one gave a shit about that you loved or it’s a recent gem.
And it hit me, the stuff you often end up loving, becoming a measure of your true taste, in my case at least are the re-discoveries, the show you HATED or didn’t get the first time round, maybe you watched it again soon after or years later, but then it does something for you that tops anything you watched in your early days.
Then I remember theres a huge amount of big shounens I never cared for and popular writers that I never liked or if I did found somewhat overated.
Given that I’m in my thirties and have been watching anime, reading manga since I was 11, that’s led to a very very large re-watch list, something things I will NEVER get the time to go back to re-assess , for all I know they could actually be terrible series. Then there’s when I DO go back on shows and let’s face it most DON’T hold up (of course its good when they do hold up).
This has been on my back/mind for a bit now, to where I’m actually somewhat confused by this “tastes” thing in relation to myself.
@Anon, Out of nowhere comment don't you think? Besides it ain't that I have perfect taste. It's just that my taste is the only one that matters.
Anonymous1819624
@Aidan you don't need to keep pretending you have perfect taste in anime. we are all aware your taste is often questionable, as all of ours are at times.
Its kind of a pity because there were moments where I saw potential in it and thought maybe this would be some kind of exception.
But to more calmly review this, I do think its possible to present topics like this, though in a more accessible way, I think even someone more versed in this would be bothered by this presentation, in addition to this manga never flowing properly, the dialogue just feels it was ripped directly from an article or book.
I suppose in all fairness, its right to say I never studied any of these subjects in much detail that it brings up and never did anything sciencey for more than two years at school so I was probably doomed from the start.
I know the expected response to what I said there is "why do you read/continue to read things you know you won't like" but if I don't come out of my comfort zone theres no chance of me being surprised.
Hehe..well Kaiser, I don't remember saying it was good. I just said it was an insane ride. I found its concept interesting but the presentation was just terrible.
Sorry for ranting but this makes my blood absolutely seethe and boil.
I got to the last two chapters and just stopped caring, the info dumping, the multiple lives thing, especially the my own father/mother thing and magical girl part....fuck...
And yes I'm talking about Qualia....this...was....abject...punishing headwrecking agony to read.
Okay fuck it, just fuck it, I refuse, absolutely refuse to touch anything involving many worlds interpretation, time travel, shared memory,multiple runthroughs/loops ever again under any any circumstances, this is the worst form of storytelling I can possibly sit through from my perspective , I cannot finish this its impossible.
I've given away/sold/thrown out anime/manga before, including figures and posters while keeping others , can't remember off hand, but it was to free space.
@Mario: Together we make....tiger and dragon....Toradora =O
@Mario: To be clearer, any interesting series/films they threw out?
@Mario: Anything else interesting they threw out?
@Mario: I'm year of the tiger, Aidan is year of the dragon.
And today is the Lunar New Year, happy new year guys! It's a year of the Dog so for those who is born in the year of the Dog... my condolenses since it is supposed to be your bad luck year
I think they move away so they just throw all their dvds there. There were other live action movies and series in there
@Mario: Strange that if he truly didn't want it that he never decided to just sell it.
@Aidan: I tested it and all of the DVDs are playable. The package includes the whole show and the movie. Not a scratch either
pppftt, not leaving it in the trash and instead going out and getting the blurays instead =P
Ha, shouldnt be surprised you read it to
Everytime I read a newly translated Re:Zero chapter I just hunger for a new anime season. The latest chapter would be fantastic animated
@Mario, Maybe the discs got scratched and the don't work anymore? Otherwise this is blasphemy if the highest degree.
Don't know how should I feel about that :))
Can you believe it? Someone in my apartment just threw away the Cowboy Bebop boxset. Normally I don't pick up someone's trash but it's a crime NOT TO in this case. %$^&&
I will hearby read Murasakiro Qualia!
@Mario: Very good voice casting decision with hourou musuko, the voice actor for the protaganist was an actual 14 year old and sounds kind of androgynous anyway.
@Kaiser: it comes as no surprise for me if the mangaka of Housou Musuko is a lesbian, since the show has a honest feeling if someone who actually experience those issues
So that probably came after or something.
None of those episodes 30 involved this ant-arc Aidan mentioned as I recall.
Bokusen
0_o What the heck...It must take a long while to get good then.
All I was told by a hunter x hunter fan on here was after I said I'd watched 30 episodes was "I wonder if the next arc will change your mind"
Bokusen
Does Hunter x Hunter really take 40 eps to get good? I've been thinking of watching it since I really liked YYH & it's the same mangaka. I got hooked on YYH by episode 7, but if HxH takes 40 eps to hook me I might get tired of it before then.
And in some cases it can represent an temporary escape from the self.
As an odd, maybe interesting relevant point, in some cases, well I think most a non-mtf , both a physical and psychological male, if they wear female clothing, the body reacts as if its like contact with a woman.
@Anon: Or for a very old manga on that theme: http://mangakakalot.com/chapter/claudine/chapter_0
The anime worked suprisingly well despite the decision to start in the middle.
As much as I absoslutely love hourou musuko I do need to raise some flaws with the manga, the ending is rushed and underveloped and it is true the characters are too precocious.
Is very slow, and I did reach a point of feeling nothing was happening. I did like the anime pacing things faster. Also like with the anime Aoi Hana it did have a poignant line. In Aoi Hana was the response to the tomboy that wanted to reengage with the MC, and in Hourou Musuko was coming out with his girlfriend.
@SuperMario - Yep, it's maybe the most innocent yet mature take on transgender themes I've seen on a manga. I like it also tackles both genders, since we see women can wear more masculine clothing and be fine with it, but a man doing it is still weird, and unfitting. Also I think it's also the first time I've seen someone going to a catholic church to pray in a japanese setting. However, the manga
Although I was reading Qualia as it was being translated then fell behind, something that needs to be read in one go probably.
*musuko
@Mario: I believe the author of hourou mysuko is a lesbian.
@Aidan: I believe that was discussed on here some years back between myself, you and wicked and how the manga could alienate readers with the sciencey dialogue.
So I read a manga called Murasakiiro no Qualia. And boy, that was one insane ride.
it addresses such a touchy theme with so much grace
boy, just one episode into Housou Musuko and I already fall head over heels for it. Only one issue is the character designs are kinda similar, which took me quite a bit to follow the cast
SuperWooper
Hey, anon. ;)
I feel there's too much pressure on people to watch the "YOU HAVE TO WATCH" because its popular anime.
Just comparing level Es art to hunter x hunter shows how he isn't playing at his A-game with Hunters artwork.
I hated John Wick 2. The plot is just an excuse for too much dull action
Holy cow
If I follow Hunter x hunter one episode a day quota for everyday, I'll finish it in... 5 months
Oh found Fate/Strange Fake Translated. Got my reading materail for the week.
His drawing can get rather lazy as well. The chimera ant arc manga artwork really looks like he isn't even trying.
Apparently the hunter x hunter writer takes alot of breaks/hiatus' from working on the manga. You'd be waiting a while after catching up.
Like it was building for a greater confrontation but the author got bored and decided to cut the arc short.
@Anon, It may take a bigger investment than that for it to truly grab you. Truth be told I don't hold the series as highly as others do. I just found it fine while I thought the chimera ant arc was the best the show had to offer but was still a bit disappointing. Honestly every arc basically felt like it ended anticlimactically.
Teppu and shamo should be adapted .
So you're telling me that when that cgi city fell to ruin we see NO-ONE die? lol
The problem with PG 13 action is the lack of consequence.
@Anon: I actually preferred it, expanded somewhat on the first, better action when it happens and looked more polished.
is john wick2 as good as the 1st one ?
I'd be well well up for a non-supernatural martial arts manga/anime.
I'll never understand people going apeshit over superhero action films when John wick 2 and Hardboiled and the killer exist.
A physical fight feels more raw and exciting to me rather than magic .
I think I'm far far too into Kung-fu/heroic bloodshed/wuxia/politizitesschi/spaghetti westerns to get anything out of superpower action stuff for the most part.
but its so highly rated everywhere, probably gonna try to watch a coulple more eps
2011 version
I remember a heart being ripped out in an earlier chapter if I recall correctly.
@Anon, 2011 or 1999 version?
Your mileage may vary. Hunter X Hunter is rather standard Shounen up until the Phantom trope arc. But even then it's still Shounen with some small interesting twists.
But I just stopped, even when I was younger I found shounen jump stuff impossible to connect with.
I've been told I need to watch at least 40 episodes, I got through thirty, I liked Hisoka at least and it kind of feels seinen-y with the violence I guess?
is hunter x hunter worth it ? im 5 episodes in and it feels like generic shounen stuff
Candy and Cigarettes, great opening chapter. Please don't start to suck.
Yuri on ice made it to the olympics lol. Definitely needs a second season now
I do think you've put alot on your plate with this but good luck with it all.
The reason I go into detail with that long post Mario, is that I want to prepare you before you start watching and also so you know whats worth watching or not.
Pfft, have fun Mario with all 146 episodes of HunterxHunter for your retrospective
I really do like the development of Mahoutsukai no Yome
Im so glad this back on
@Kaiser: Tiger & Bunny is indeed getting second season. I'm currently burning through shows from Qualifying List so you'll hear my thoughts on some of those shows you just mentioned soon.
Need to get used to posting these long messages in the comments section instead.
I was surprised with how the supernatural anime adaptation was able to make the stories flow despite halving the tv dramas episode runtimes.
I will watch kaiji SOMEDAY.
I always thought there'd be a second tiger and bunny season but it never materialized, which was diasspointing.
Wandering son really jived with me and I thought it was a respectful take on its topic rather than most shows playing that for a laugh.
Ano hana for the larger part hits its emotional notes and is well animated but I thought some characters could have gotten more development and the drama in the last episode veered on silly levels looking back in its execution.
I've never seen C or showa, Kamisama or phi brain.
I feel ao no exorcist took a more drama approach at points which suited me better, Aidan saw the movie and thought it was crap though and swore off films based on long running shounens.
I can't remembrt anything about penguindrum, Zombie and IS only work as guilty pleasures.
Deadman wonderland wonk-paces and poorly animates the best part of the source manga.
I remember bent-tou having pretty good fight choreography and used its soundtrack quite well.
Gosick has a really difficult first half to get through and is really convenient with its protags , the mini mysteries don't really work, but I thought when it reached its second half the larger picture fared better.
Yumekui merry deserved to be fully adapted rather than that anime original route they went with, stopped before the real villain even showed up.
The mention of bakuman got me thinking, for those who are interested in stuff ABOUT manga creators they would be better off reading A drifting life.
@Mario: make sure you're watching the Un-go ova as it works as a origin story/lead in.
@Mario: While blood C has some great gore moments, be ready for mostly a slow burn and a divisive plot twist.
@Mario: I'd advise not bothering with Fractale Mario, the ending ruins the show and it falls on its arse. If you do watch Hanasaku iroha, be aware that while it does work as a drama, it doesn't as a comedy and while I enjoyed most of it, the show never matches it first two episodes.
SuperWooper
There was a new nyaa within a week of the old one's closing - hopefully all of batoto's stuff resurfaces in another centralized location. You have to assume the site was being scraped by dozens of other parties.
RIP batoto
That rec manga he did messed with my head.
Oh, It's by the same author who did Aharen-san wa Hakarenai. That's rather promising.
@Aidan: Oppai-Loli apparently given I just checked.
@Masky, I read that one too. It is interesting but not really sure where they can go with it. Plus the loli was worrisome.
Also why is it that despite hating Isekai, you feel compelled to check out any Isekai work?
Isekai death march, Isekai death game....soon I won't be able to tell this shit apart anymore.
Well at least hilarious enough to amuse me mildly considering I was expecting something mediocre or worse
lol. got surprised by "Isekai Death Game". Nice to be surprised by something for once, not sure what the heck its going to work like if its a series and not one shot, but at least first chapter was hilarious
@Kaiser, Because she's not in the summoning pool. She's only in there for a limited time. Not too salty about it though. I got Brynhilder.
@Aidan: Why why must the game bully you so much by not giving you Scathach!
So I did a few rolls for craft essences in the Kara No Kyoukai event. Got Vlad, Jeanne, Stheno, NP3 Lancelot and Saber Shiki....just what in the hell is happening?

Violet Evergarden – 06 [Somewhere, Under a Starry Sky]

This episode of Violet Evergarden, Violet learns the feeling of loneliness, AND I find myself largely indifferent to it. Not a bad episode by all mean but when the show makes same old beats and adds little thing to the table, it doesn’t leave much lasting impact. Let’s get to the positives first, I really […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 07 [The Ship That Sees the Universe]

“I boarded this ship to do catchy, witty, sensational reporting! I want to open the treasure chest of Antarctica that my mother wrote about with my own hands! Everyone, let’s go to Antarctica together!” Although Universe is a show about the girls heading off to freaking Antarctica, the last couple episodes make it clear that […]

Darling in the Franxx – 05[Your Thorn, My Badge]

Today on Darling in the Franxx, Hiro gets a STD. This was a surprisingly good episode as I found myself pretty engaged with the goings on of the plot. Now previous episodes of Franxx haven’t been all that bad besides the excessive sex symbolism but up until this point I would have deemed this show […]

Junji Ito Collection – 06[Window Next Door/Gentle Goodbye]

My friends, I lament to say my interest in this series has fallen to a degree that I really can’t seem to care all that much about it. It’s a shame that it should turn out this way but not entirely unexpected. Our first story has to do with a boy being tormented by his […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 18 [Forgive and Forget]

Hello everyone and welcome to another episode of Mahoutsukai. This week we some follow up story time, a return of older characters and what is hopefully the start of an actual story arc. Lets jump in! Overall, this week was adequate, or maybe slightly above.  They story was quaint, with some nice follow up, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 03[Golden Wild Hunt]

I actually wonder if a time will come when I have an actual idea of what exactly is going on in this series. But today marks Hakuno’s first true servant battle as he takes on Shinji and Francis Drake so that he can ascend to the next level. So to surmise what I can understand […]

After the Rain – 05 [The Scent of Rain]

It’s a bit of a slow episode this week, with the appearance of the show best character (Tsubu!), Tachibana becomes a pepping Tom, Kondou’s unexpected popularity amongst his staff and Tachibana plays a motherly role to Kondou’s son. Well, I said “slow” in regard to the romantic development between our two leads compare to last […]

Violet Evergarden – 05 [You Write Letters That Brings People Together?]

That’s more like it Violet Evergarden. With this episode I have the feeling the shows find its right footing. Violet Evergrden works best when it weaves the emotion of human relationship into its larger-than-life narrative. Everything feels grandeur and it’s the right kind of grandeur. Take this episode, we have the Princess and her Prince […]

Kokkoku – 4/5 [The Fourth/Fifth Moment]

Hello and welcome to another absurdly late post about Kokkoku. Id apologize and swear never to be late again, but I think we both know that’s not true. Life finds a way it seems. These past weeks in Kokkoku, the Plot thickens, Juri enters the running for Best Girl and the characters become even more […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]