Posted by psgels on 14 March 2013 with categories: Zetsuen no Tempest

Okay. If this isn’t a mindfuck then I don’t know anymore.

I have one question about this episode, but that is for below. First, I just want to praise this series for its absolutely wonderful rendition of Aika, who in two episodes really has become my favorite character of this series, with already an incredibly strong cast. The way she just blew Hakaze away with both her logic and powers was amazing.

In fact, this episode was so damn logical. That she killed herself: it was given the circumstances by far the most logical possible cause for her death, considering that she’s incredibly strong and the complete and utter lack of alternatives. But the reasons why really blew me away. The irony was wonderful: the way in which she decided to kill herself in order to be able to set the story in motion, in order to be able to defeat the tree of Genesis. Time travel is always tricky to write, but I really like what this show did with it. I also really liked the details at the end of the episode: Yoshino running past Hakaze, not knowing what will happen after half a year.

I just wonder: was suicide really the only way? What if Aika did not commit suicide, and instead used her knowledge to make things progress smoother? Could they have stopped the Kusaribe clan? Wouldn’t that have lead to a bigger chance of being able to stop the Tree of Genesis? Or was there some other kind of risk that I didn’t take into account here?
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. jzar says:

Yeah, I had the same thoughts you did. I still think it was awesome, they made me buy it and like it.

I can’t wait for the next episode.

2. Spike says:

Ok, as you said Time Travel is hard to do correctly. Basically If Aika doesn’t die, Mahiro has no reason to help Hakaze so she never escapes the island and when Samon wakes up the tree of Exodus (which in turn woke up the tree of Genesis) The tree of Genesis would destroy the Tree of Exodus (Hakaze was the one that stopped that when she returned from the past) and basically Civilization would fail the ‘test’ and be reset/destroyed. (as it has many times in the past if you follow the legends they talk about)

Basically Aika determines during the fight that Mahiro/Yoshino reacting to her death are the key to passing the Tree of Genesis’s test.

3. Rathje says:

I have to say Aika wasn’t the only one to shine this episode. Hakaze didn’t do to badly either.

You got to admire the sheer grit of a lovestruck girl who is willing to risk her love’s hatred by killing his old love – just so that the old flame’s death won’t be meaningless for Yoshino and he’ll be spared a bit of extra pain.

Even if it does make you question her grasp on reality…

4. zoop says:

If Aika didn’t die and instead changed history, the guys wouldn’t have ever met Hakaze, so Hakaze would never have been able to go back in time and tell Aika that she was going to die…

Although Hakaze did technically change history to get Aika to kill herself anyway…

But if getting Aika to kill herself was a precondition for Hakaze to meet mahiro et al and Aika meeting mahiro et al was a precondition for getting Aika to kill herself, isn’t that a paradox?

5. tomtom says:

This is the kind of confusing stuff you always get with time-travel plots :). The way I see it, the fact that Hakaze shows up from the future to tell Aika that she will die is what convinces Aika that she in fact must die. She realizes it is predetermined, because she knows from Hakaze what future will come to pass.

6. Puran says:

I guess what the series wants us to buy (and I’m buying I guess) is that Aika thought, “if I die, the world defnitely moves towards the Tree of Genesis is being defeated. If I live, then… anything could happen”. It was a choice between (almost) certainty and chance.

7. Lynch says:

I’m sure Aika fears the ‘butterfly effect’. Who knows how screwed up the result of changing this timeline could be. The chances of the next timeline having a better outcome are pretty slim.

8. HK-47 says:

They’ve executed it well enough that I’m buying it, paradox and all.

9. one says:

Or they could just do it the steins;gate way…

10. nodbgp says:

And who said they didn’t?

If Aika is a sorcerer powerfull enough to make her suicide looks like a murder, she might as well fake the death itself, and if that was her intention she would obviously not tell Hakaze.

But even if its not the case I will not complain because even if somebody else got Aika’s power it was Yoshino who inherited her heart and the whole poetry of the situation is awesome enough.

• Qate says:

If that’s true then Hanimura wouldn’t get his power. As was explained in the episode, his power awoke prematurely, because Aika’s death wasn’t expected.

• LMekko says:

Odd as it is, this makes me wonder… we still don’t know who his girlfriend is. Would be hilarious if it was Aika and she gave him that power knowing (via this conversation in the past) that he’d have that power in the future >_> Doubt that’s what they’re doing but it’d be cool :P

11. Blizt says:

I’m thinking that Aika simply didn’t want to risk it. Whether she decided spare herself and went for other options, or whether those options may cause a paradox or not, are not actually important here; in the future that she’s being told, it’s almost certained that if they followed down that path, and all went well, Tree of Genesis will be defeated, Yoshino and Mahiro (who are really the only people she cares in the whole world) will live on, that will be enough for her.

But shall she decide to try out other method without her dying, she would be facing great uncertainty, the future may go very wrong, and in the end cause those two to die…so to her, why risk it.

12. AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Question. How did Aika know that the tree of genesis would eventually destory humanity? Hell how does she know all this info in the first place. Sure you can pull the “She’s the princess of Exodus” and say that’s why but in that case why is the princess of genesis clueless about all this?

• Blizt says:

Looks like you didn’t watch the show carefully. Since her early childhood, the moment she’s been granted with the power of Exodus, she also received all the truth and information that comes along with it.

She knows so much, more than anyone in this world, that if she wasn’t fated to die, she would be the one to explain everything to those who wish to defeat Tree of Genesis.

13. Loz says:

I disagree Psgels. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the show, and this episode in particular was great. However for a shows that has the notion of being ‘logical’ on certain things, it is actually so illogical on a lot of instances.

Anyway I did enjoy this episode. Aika’s character is presented well.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Illogical indeed. Even with this episode. For example in this episode Aika has not thought of the fact that her death may delay the destruction of the world but without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on. Therefore negating the point of her death. Also her entire logic for this is from the representative of her enemy with no guarantee that shes telling the truth. Which seems to be a running theme. People making rash decisions based on theory with no evidence.

• Wawawa says:

>without the Mage of exodus the world is damned later on

You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. Opening the path to defeat the Tree of Genesis has already served her purpose as the Mage of Exodus. And the fact that the Tree of Exodus has always has a backup mage to replace its current one. Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.

And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’. Hell, they’re not really the Tree of Genesis’s representatives, it’s more accurate to call them its tools, a fact even its current generation of the clan has realized which leads to Samon’s actions. They’re just regular humans who basically carry out the Tree of Genesis’ will only since they thought they’re protecting the world, and the Tree of Exodus as the real threat to humanity, but with all things going bonkers, even Hakaze who never doubted that fact before started to question which is the right course of action should they take.

Taking all of these things into consideration, it’s really nothing rash for Aika to deduce that Hakaze is actually telling the truth. Even the time-travelling doesn’t seem too far off when she herself is a mage with vast knowledge of things that people have never been aware before the Tree’s awakening.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

“You totally missed the part where Aika herself said that maybe it’s not the job of the Mage of Exodus to directly defeat the Tree of Genesis by him/herself. And the probability of something like that never meant to happen. ”
          Theory. No evidence.

“Also, the Tree of Exodus feed her with all that information when she awakened her power as its mage, a rather common theme for someone ‘chosen’.”
          Lazy plot device.

“And let’s not forget that she deduced that Hakaze is telling the truth since everything that she told her fits with all the things that she, Aika herself know about the whole situation, and some facts that Hakaze knows about her that can only be heard from Yoshino and Mahiro themselves.”
          Theory. No evidence. As for the things Mahiro and Yosino know about her there is nothing that says she could have learned that by becoming involved with them and not revealing darker intentions.

“And let’s not forget that the Kusaribe clan are not exactly her ‘enemies’.”
          But the princess of Genesis clearly is.

• Tulip says:

I agree with everything that you said. This is becoming like the ending of occult academy. Time Paradox fail.

14. TheUltimateReaper says:

I found myself largely unsurprised by this episode, and despite the naysayers everything is indeed logical. However, much like Hazake I wasn’t ready nor am I now able to accept tragedy. See, I hate Shakespeare… and I hate tragedy. It’s just too said for me. Why can’t Aika live? And that’s where I really empathize with psgels last point. Did she really have to die? Wasn’t there some other way?

Steins;Gate indeed holds the answer, well not completely. A false death may have worked but the latent mage of exodus would not have arisen, changing the future a bit. Though that depends on the details of awakening, whether it’s based on information or the existence of the mage of exodus.

I can’t really accept it. The world has been repeating, with each reincarnation of the world failing to get it right in the eyes of Genesis. So then the question remains if the best option really is to defeat the trees as a way to “pass the test”.

This show quickly grew from what I thought was going to be a mediocre bore fest to something quite delectable.

As of right now I can’t really made predictions. The ending in this case is going to be determined, I assume, more by the writer’s emotion rather than logic. Belief and values over a sense of right or justice. I haven’t thought about it really, and don’t care to. I’ll let this ending come to me on its own.

15. HunterWulf says:

Remember guys, another Shakespeare story involved a fake death .. Romeo and Juliet .. Juliet was supposed to fake her own death to escape her forced marriage and escape with Romeo .. things ended up tragically when Romeo thought she really died and killed himself .. then she woke up and killed herself as well -for real this time- when she realized what happened … with those people talking about how Aika could have faked her own death to set things in motion made me think of R&J .. after all .. why just limit things to the Tempest and Hamlet.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

True, but as the episode mentioned the details of the latent mage of Exodus’s awakening has a part in that. It appears that the only way he would have activated was upon real death, unless there is something we don’t know. I’m just going to wait out on the ending. I’m only interested in solving mysteries when the show actually asks the question.

• HunterWulf says:

Remember that people who serve the tree of Genesis get similar powers to the princess of Genesis .. there is nothing preventing Hanimura from being just a servant of the tree of Exodus .. in fact anyone who serves that tree will be way more powerful than anyone serving the tree of Genesis becasue of the limitation removal (the fact they don’t need to sacrifice anything to use magic) .. what we don’t know is how someone becomes a servant of the tree of Genesis or Exodus .. probably just getting selected by the corresponding princess is the condition.

For all i care Hanimura’s girlfriend could be Aika who handed him part of her powers to set things in motion.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

Sounds like wild speculation, but I suppose nothing is certain.

• This is an astute deduction,
          and if it really was true, it would also contribute a lot to the coherence of the events, which I consider a crucial determination base for the quality of time travel stories.

However, I am frowning about the way the script writer likes to resolve any conflict through dialouge and plot twists. It’s just too comfortable, and feels a litte bit constructed.

True, the end leaves much room for speculations, even too much for anyhing specific at all, which is good I guess.

But let’s be optimistic: BONES can atone for all screwed up endings with this series.

16. psgels psgels says:

In case you’re wondering. I deleted a few posts which went totally off-topic into a bash-fest. Those involved know who I’m talking about, and should be ashamed of themselves. Please refrain from doing that again.

17. gurdlo says:

Holy,what was going on in this thread. Half the comments were deleted.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:47 AM)
    I remember that same guy, during end of eva, pausing it over and over during that scene where asuka dies with all of those fast moving clips too.
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:39 AM)
    I remember catching it also when I was young with a friend and we looked back on a fanservice scene with shinji and rei and he mentioned “You know if you think about it that scene is damn disturbing when you think she’s a clone of/modelled after you know who…”
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:36 AM)
    Before Eva, when I was 11 or so my image of a mech anime was Nadesico…then it was eva and then I was like…Whoah…whoah God halp! =O
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:34 AM)
    I suppose credit where I feel it due, the angel designs are excellent and I remember getting the shock of my life when shinji’s eva went nuts and then there was a bit with Bardiel infect Toji’s unit. I remember at least Masatos boyfriend being a likeable character.
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:31 AM)
    I don’t think anyone was prepared for Eva, whether they liked the show or not, at 11 I can remember being horrified by end of eva and the series original ending as well as having my first moment of “Feck…theres a first…an anime that did something that scrambled my mind, I actually feel kind of thick now, this show is smarter than I am”.
  • Bam
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:27 AM)
    It really wouldn’t have been that hard to put a satisfying ending to the original series, wrap up the threads nicely and put a pretty ribbon on the package to finish it off. But Anno and friends took a risk and went against the tide and end up becoming the trope-namer for the Gainax Endings. That took balls and made things unexpected and fresh, cuz god knows that ,good guys win the day ‘is tired and boring.
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:26 AM)
    Requiem for a dream. I remember the guy who recommended that film saying to me “Even someone such as yourself who finds it hard to find/has high standards an emotionally investing film will get something out of requiem for a dream”
  • Bam
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 03:17 AM)
    @Emma: leaving a bad taste is pretty much the point of Eva, just as getting bummed out by Requiem For a Dream is the naturally intended effect. I don’t mind that you don’t enjoy Eva all that much Emma, l actually appreciate it over dishonest admiration. Just keep in mind that Eva deserves it’s special place in anime.
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 01:32 AM)
    But Eva just left a bad taste in my mouth as a whole, I understand that Bam you are very passinette about it and thats fine, I wasn’t aiming to provoke. I just feel that its frustrating that like alot of certain anime, that I am not allowed to dislike it or have reason to.
  • Emma
    (Friday, Mar 6. 2015 01:32 AM)
    If anything at least I found Ikuhara’s symbolism while obvious at least in utena and straightforward was at least visually interesting to look at.
    I love every David Lynch film and again I thought Lain was exceptional.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Durarara!!X2 – 08

No animation issues this time around thankfully. Really like the touch of Irelands flag on the cup Shinra gave the girl at their apartment. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that Celty is indeed Irish. Probably one of the few Irish characters in anime. And here we learn that the one who told the little girl […]

Death Parade – 08

Why do you do this to me death parade? You dodge your true potential and instead focus on background exposition or, of all things, comedy. Then just as I was about to lose interest and give up, you present the best episode of the series so far. Now this, this is what I was talking […]

Durarara!!X2 – 07

I think the problem with this episode was evident right from the opening scene. I had to do a double take when seeing a very poorly drawn Simon. I even questioned whether it was a new character entirely. But no, the animation budget took a nosedive. Or the guy who was to do the inbetweens […]

Death Parade – 07

Why is the girl from the last episode still around? This episode brought up three rules about arbiters. The third rule, about arbiters not having emotions, Is odd to me. For the arbiters we have been introduced to are very emotional. They state that Decim was given human emotions yet he is the least emotional […]

Durarara!!X2 – 06

Turns out that assassination attempt got Celty to see her life flash before her eyes. I suppose taking a tumble off a moving motorcycle is a fatal thing. But well in the last arc we saw two people survive getting blown away at about the length of a football field. So I cannot say I […]

Death Parade – 06

Death Parade in a risky move has taken things in a new direction. A daring adventurous move that no one expected. And it is…absolutely terrible. Death Parade, what happened? Did no one read over the script and do a shaft head tilt in wonder? Was there not an Animator who said “Excuse me sir. But […]

Durarara!!X2 – 05

We have yet another new character entering the show. A motorcycle gang leader who has a massive fondness for woman. Personally I am not a fan of him. His brand of female overprotective crazy just seems like a downgrade from the shows already huge cast of crazies. He looks like a character whose introduction serves […]

Death Parade – 05

If asked about how I think of death parade so far, my answer would have to be divided. On one hand the premise is rife with potential and it does have moments where it rises above the bar. But it also seems confused as to what it wants to be. We have death games between […]

Durarara!!X2 – 04

The current story arc ends abruptly and unexpectedly. I am rather surprised that it came here. From how this was portrayed it felt this would be a longer arc than it turned out to be. So with its end I must think back and wonder. What exactly did this arc accomplish? We got introduced to […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]