Posted by psgels on 24 March 2013 with categories: Psycho Pass

Now that actually was an incredibly solid ending. I think that I could not have hoped better from this series, because it formed a terrific closure here. My memory is not good enough to remember whether or not it answered every question or not, but it did succeed in wrapping itself up in many different ways.

It really dawned here to me this episode: this series doesn’t really claim to be right with any of its characters. All it does is present a lot of different viewpoints on its setting, every one of whoch has some good points about it. This episode was meant as a chance for everyone to give his or her conclusion to what they have been preaching throughout the series. I really liked that idea to base your ending on this, and everyone actually the opportunity to make their final point in the debate without simply reiterating themselves.

The personal conflict between Shinya, Makishima and Akane also got a great conclusion, also helped by some great cinematics. The soundtrack was as sharp as it has ever been, and fields of grain made for quite an atmospheric setting for Makishima to die. Shinya managed to kill him in the end. Or at least, I hope he did. The only thing I did not like about this episode was that sequel hook at the end. That was a bit of a cop-out.

But the actual end of the episode. I thought that that was pretty brilliant: ending with the same way that the series has started. a

Overall, Psycho Pass was a really big success. Sharp from start to finish, and consistently interesting to watch. And I have to say: the past year for Noitamina has been its best since 2010. Apollon, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Psycho Pass were all delights to watch, Tsuritama was really fun, and even the lesser shows of Moyashimon and Robotics Notes had enough to write home about. Let’s hope that it will be back in full force after its hiatus!
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. geagea says:

sorry but this gotta be Gen’s worst work so far. pulling some random quotes from some psychology textbook to add “depth” is purely laughable. The story is also a complete wreck.

And the most important part…

I like Gen a lot. His stories are NOT usually the best but he always creates realistic and deep and memorable characters. Except in PP where all characters tried way too hard to look cool and stylish without any souls in them (complicated diaglogue does NOT equal to deep characters).

• T0ny says:

> random quotes from some psychology textbook

I’m not sure if this is just a joke or… <.<

• geagea says:

the second or the third last episode where the police guy talked to that retired professor. remember, that whole episode with dialogue????? textbook might be a little bit exaggeration but still it’s just copy and past from some psych book. The point is if you want the show to be dialogue heavy and do it from the start, not this random piece of “Deep conversation”.

• Mal says:

The entire point of all the referencing to books is to show that people with high crime coefficents have a tendency to be educated or creative. It’s part of the world-building. And of course the professor will talk about psychology, he’s a former criminal profiler.

• geagea says:

are you joking or are you being serious…? The entire point of all the referencing is to discuss that white haired guy’s motive, which was really poorly done btw.

2. geagea says:

That’s the epilogue but not the ending. The ending is when that police guy shot the white hair dude, which makes no fukcing sense whatsoever. It actually goes against whatever theme (does PP even have a theme) this anime tries to convey.

• boa_sting says:

What’s this theme that it’s going against?

I don’t think Makishima being killed by Kougami was any surprise at all. The whole series was leading up to that conclusion.

• geagea says:

What about akane trying to save him from becoming a murderer? is that also part of the “leading up”????

• boa_sting says:

The show is about different peoples’ visions for the future, how they interact with a society controlled by Sybil. It’s about much more than just Akane’s wishes.

The fact that Akane can’t stop Kougami is part of the point. They build up Akane’s motivations and perspective to demonstrate how they aren’t perfect either, at least so long as others who don’t think like her still exist. She only has a limited amount of powers in this world, not enough to save corner cases like Kougami. She hates Sybil, yet she plays along with it.

Our snapshot into the world of Psycho Pass, this show, begins and ends with Makishima vs. Kougami. A different conclusion with Makishima wouldn’t really make as much sense or close the series the same way.

• geagea says:

basically you are telling me that shit happened but nothing really changed. Then what’s the point of this show????

let’s take a look at some other Gen’s work. Phantom: hero saved and changed heroine. Blassreiter: hero saved the world. f/z: hard to judge the conclusion because it’s a prequel but at least the people fight for their ideals. madoka: heroine saved the world.

The problem with PP is that it spends so much time on Akane and her ideals that you would think she is the right one. But of course the ending just gave everyone an impression that “why the hell would I care about Akane in the first place”. There is nothing wrong with the character’s actions, but if this show is really about a cop getting revenge on his friend (which is pretty much what this show is all about in the end) then at least make him the main character.

• boa_sting says:

Not that I think Psycho Pass did an absolutely exemplary job, but the structure of the narrative need not be tied to one character or one view of events. Doesn’t have to be either just Akane, or just Kougami. It’s not necessary to always pick winners and losers too.

Sometimes the point is that shit happens but things don’t change so quickly? If you want to take the angle that Gen’s making some comments on modern society and policing, then would this be so difficult to imagine? The country’s almost wrecked, but almost everybody returns mostly back to the status quo?

• kazid says:

Eck I really have bored whit this type of subejtive comments, in this site are a lot of this “intelligent type” comments. This was for me the best series of past winter 2012 season and the best end of a series in the year 2012.

• Ebisu says:

It did not make no “fukcing” sense to you I guess… That happens when prejudices blind your judgement.

3. Carbine Gammaximon says:

Even though I was curious as to your analysis, 6/8 was unexpected. But it could have been worse.

I haven’t watched all of Uro Gen’s series, but between Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass I get the sense that his strength lies in using his characters as mouth pieces for the various opposing opinions and viewpoints within a naturally debatable setting/backdrop. The problem for me lies in fact that his endings are not as conclusive as I would have hoped. I know the point is in one deciding for oneself what the ending should mean, but I would like to see an Uro Gen series where he takes a conscious stand/viewpoint at the end.

I did love the little details around Ginoza and Yayoi. As for akane, I’m wondering if she got the shortest end of the stick. Kougami got his revenge (Yay!) and is at large, makishima died in a way that wasn’t contrived. But Akane ended up as a pawn who’s waiting for another revolution to topple Sybil while acting as an agent of enlightenment for the people to embrace sybil’s true form? It sells well for the last minutes of this episode, but I’m not sure how that can work in the long run. Even so, I don’t think it needs a season two unless they plan to exceed what we have, given we still have enough loose ends for maybe 12-16 episodes?

So since you gave Psycho Pass 6/8, I wonder what you will give shinsekai yori? I honestly can’t wait….

4. boa_sting says:

Regarding the ending coming full cycle, let’s think about what’s changed and what’s stayed the same. Okay, having the ending repeat the sequence of events from the beginning is a rather well-known and old trick, but I think it works here. Sometimes they’re more subtle about it, but here the intention is to draw some contrasts.

The commonality is in the setting, a new Inspector somehow reporting to work directly in the field, where CID Division 1 is responding on a case. Cue the rain.

When the Enforcers arrive, Ginoza introduces them as not human, emphasizing that they are latent criminals with high Crime Coefficients, calls them hunting dogs (and the camera pans to Kougami). Akane goes out of her way to call them human, emphasizing that the psychological differences make them solve crimes with different values than other people. Then she tacks on that very personal bit about not underestimating them, or you’ll get hurt.

Now, Sybil is alive and fine, just as before. In fact, they don’t even have the addition of Makishima’s brain to their numbers. It’s not emphasized, so there’s probably not much difference among the populace. CID Division 1 is down two male Enforcers, with another AWOL. Old-fashioned guys weren’t cut out for Sybil’s line of work? Ginoza’s now an Enforcer, and there’s a new Inspector. If there’s any slight progress, it’s in CID members’ experiences and will.

It might be that humanity’s slowly creeping forward to Akane’s world. Or Sybil’s. Or who knows what else.

However, the point that sticks out to me is that the new Inspector is a minor. This and CID’s reduced manpower give the suggestion that maybe the system is beginning to unravel, that the situation is less sustainable than was otherwise implied.

And finally, we have Kougami, who’s been totally isolated and rejected by Sybil’s society.

5. Spike says:

Kougami put revenge for his friend above being a detective and proved he ‘deserved’ the crime coefficient he had. Akane’s suffering is laughed at by Sybil and will be used to furthur it’s development. Ginoza cannot follow his father’s only wish that he not follow his path and falls to level of enforcer.

As usual for Gen, a pretty grim ending with a slight sprinkling of hope.

• geagea says:

how is this Gen’s ending? Gen’s ending is supposed to be death for every main characters and happy ending for the rest of the world.

• nodbgp says:

No! That’s what “Gen” is in you mind, now Gen’s a writer, one that is very good in writting interesting settings and hero characters, and by hero character I mean characters who tend to sacrifice themselves for their beliefs, now if Gen’s mind was as litte as yours (i’m not saying you’re dumb, but from your comments you’re really close minded, you know like a horse who can only see whats in front of him) he probably would not be sucessful, well what I’m saying is that Psycho Pass kept true to Gen’s spirit both in the interesting setting and in its character’s sacrifices, Makishima actually died, Kougami didn’t but sacrificed everything else, and Akane lost the thing that defined her character, her naivety. But maybe you were expecting some ending where Makishima and Kougami joined hands in destroying Sybil and while they accomplished it they died to do so. Well just open your mind and understand that a writter don’t need to copy the same script for every single story he writes (dan brown someone)to keep true to his writing.

6. HunterWulf says:

A very fulfilling ending for a great series, it isn’t groundbreaking or surprising but definitely a solid and satisfying ending that warped up things nicely with the usual “life goes on” touch (unlike Robotics;Notes).

My best character from the show was Akane who during the course of the show developed from an inexperienced rookie into a tough detective that also happens to be one of the very few people alive who know the secret of SYBIL, her development was really a joy to behold.

Then comes the setting, it’s a beautifully realized futuristic vision (beautifully realized but in and of itself it’s pretty grim and foreboding), while seemingly the society of Japan has achieved a crime-free utopia things aren’t what they seem, that utopia is fragile becasue it was based on lies and deception, the series beautifully shows us all sides of the arguments, should this Utopia be destroyed becasue it’s fake and hollow even if it’s destruction will cause the death of thousands, or should be be preserved and protected becasue there is no other alternative, or should one ignore both choices and create their own law living like a lone wolf, every choice had it’s logic and its flaws and damn .. there is no easy answer to those questions which are presented here .. i also equally liked the seemingly random crimes in the first half becasue there not only weren’t random at all but also explored many different aspects of that Utopia and showed us the ugly true face underneath the shiny paint.

And quoting other writers and philosophers is far from being pretentious (even they themselves did that) .. it’s really a great way to deliver a point in the shortest time and in the most neat way without wasting long minutes explaining ideas already discussed to death to eventually get to the new ideas being presented here, it’s also part of the character’s development and helps define their motives, inspiration and goals much more easily .. it’s natural for people to quote other people in real-life to get an idea through in the most clear and swift manner instead of having to explain everything from scratch .. what’s pretentious is refusing to use quotes to get an idea through because that refusal is like trying to invent the wheel all over again “becasue we are too pretentious to use someone else’s invention .. we have to re-invent it ourselves XD”

Long story short, one of the best series of 2012, only second to Shinsekai Yori .. Akane is indeed candidate for best female character (competing with Saki from shinsekai and Aika from Zetsuen) and Shogo for best villain (competing with Squealer from Shinsekai).

7. Who know? says:

I’m not sure what you mean by sequel hook? Some people seem to think Kougami could be the next Makishima, but isn’t he just hiding out until he can get out of Japan. Unlike Makishima, he can’t walk around committing or inciting crimes without a helmet, and he doesn’t seem the sort to kill innocent people. Sure, he’s not a detective, and he may never be one again, but that doesn’t suddenly turn him into Hannibal Lecter.

8. chuu says:

For me the sequel hook is mainly the line about Sybil still going.

Seeing Kougami reading Swann’s Way made my day.

@Kaiser: You're right, totally forgot that. Looking forward to this. Also I could have sworn I heard about a new project from Iso (Dennou Coil) last year but I guess I either confused him with someone else or with Children of Ether in which he's involved in some kind of way.
@Amagi: That series was going to be devilman crybaby .
Wasn't Yuasa also doing a series of some sort this year? Haven't watched the movies yet but I loved most of his stuff so far, with Kaiba being my favorite.
Wow, Houseki did not disappoint for me this week.
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'd say even if you didn't read the subs you probably wouldn't have much trouble following it.
I actually had a look and lu over the wall, coincidentally , there are moments of where Yuasa's imagination/visuals shine through and its a genuinely charming film at times, but it does almost outstay its welcome and there's a sense Yuasa was somewhat restrained this time round, it IS a kids movie and that kind of does need to be taken into account, its not AS mad as mind game or kemonozume.
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta is subbed, but no idea if the subs are good
And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.

Girls’ Last Tour – 07 [Labyrinth – Cooking]

After one of the most plot-heavy episode last week, Girls’ Last Tour goes back to its minimalist root this time, with only the girls and two interior settings. This could be Girls’ Last Tour’s simplest episode, with the plot can be summed up as those girls go to the ration production facility, at first slightly […]

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100