Posted by psgels on 26 March 2013 with categories: From the New World

So after Psycho Pass I figured that I had already seen the best ending of the season. Tempest and From the New World did have a small chance in being able to match it, but not much, or so I thought.

Shin Sekai Yori just delivered the best ending I have seen since finishing Monster. That just was phenomenal, and it’s really been a while since a series managed to drive me as speechless as in this episode. I really thought that the show was over after Squealer was captured and Maria and Mamoru’s child was killed. But this episode really made its impact when it started with Squealer’s trial. And even the fight itself was pretty damn awesome due to the incredibly fluid animation that they showed there.

The way in which this episode exposed the humans for what they did. It was brilliant. There was all this talk about humans, and being human. And then it turns out that even the main characters just helped slaughter what once were basically just humans. Squealer was an excellent villain, and the ending he got makes it all the more sad, despite the things that he did. This show really knows how to hit hard with its gore.

Shin Sekai Yori was awesome. A-1 Pictures took a huge gamble with it, and it worked! It’s one of the most unique series of the past year. And yeah, there were some parts in which the animation was really wonky, but damn: it just did not care about conventions at all. Those are the series that I really like. I applaud you for it.
Rating: 7/8 (Fantastic)

1. DmonHiro says:

I think you mean fanFUCKINGtastic.
    That was brilliant.

2. MCAL says:

I still can’t believe how solid that ending was. In the anime world where 90% of them have rushed endings with zero closure, Shin Sekai comes and basically closes almost every plot-hole and those it didn’t can be mostly easily guessed at. Shin Sekai incredible and a shining reminder that Fall 2012 was a damn fine season for anime where the two cour series made Winter 2013 tolerable.

And Squealer is indeed an excellent antagonist. Hard to believe he is voiced by the same guy who did Waver in F/Z and Hisoka in H x H.

3. Airies says:

This anime made me believe again!

4. boa_sting says:

Maybe we as viewers have a very unrepresentative and biased Group 1 perspective on their society, but to me something about the trial and reactions therein were a bit over the top. Even if the reactions are to be expected, something about the direction or visuals there didn’t really click for me in terms of message. The space was unusually large and open in the middle, for a courtroom or trial proceedings, not to mention the very sparse lighting.

Ah well, I guess the point is how sure the people are of their methods and justice. Most everywhere else, I really liked the experimental art styles, whenever used, so it’s not that.

They’re not really plot holes, but there were some issues with the setting like the condition of Tokyo and so on. Some things don’t add up for making sense 1000 years later, even if you take Cantus leaking out as the explanation for all sorts of weird creatures. I think I’m forgetting some other minor complaints I had too, but these aren’t a big deal considering some of the accomplishments here.

Anyway, at least by the end we get to hear a little bit more of the Largo from the New World Symphony and not just the main theme they keep using.

5. AOI says:

Am I wrong or is this the first time that you give a 7/8 rating for an episode? I fully agree with that rating. This ending was fantastic in every sense. I loved this series despite its varying animation quality and I salivate thinking what this series would have been had all episodes had the animation of episode 25. As a grown-up, in my 30s, this is the kind of series that keep me watching anime: ambitious projects with original scripts or adapted from fascinating novels, such as this one. I now want to read the book so badly…

6. kero says:

Squealer is probably one of the best antagonists by far.

We’ve got a rather ugly character and all along he looks sketchy, he lies, he prevaricates, he’s sneaky, and then we find out all along he’s human.

I loved it despite some of the flaws.

Great soundtrack as well, fantastic use of the main theme for the climax, it really moved me.

7. Blizt says:

Even though many, including me, have speculated that queerats might be human whose DNA was altered, I gotta say when the show said that is indeed the truth, I’m still stunned and shocked…

I had a lot of mixing feeling when seeing this episode…

8. khawlin says:

One of the most haunting endings I have ever seen in anime.

I really wish this had been better marketed ( and stylized) as a horror anime because I think that is where the show became most powerful. Particularly in a season with really little competition in the horror genre. Even the revelations at the end left me with more unease than all the horror series of the last season combined.

It may have at least kept the DVD sales above 900, which is where they currently are.

9. Ebisu says:

Great final chapter with excellent final confrontation and even a trial where the truth is imposed by the winner. The only thing that I would have liked to see was what had exactly happened with Shun. Squealer was great, Satoru leaves it clear he is human after all (though a different species), but he was a monster and a villain all the way, sacrificing all his comrades without a moment’s doubt.

I’m glad to see Saki managed to end the mission with Satoru alive and have a life after that war.

10. Taara535 says:

This is a very good anime, but I have to say it lost its brilliance at the end of the second of the three arcs. This is mainly because the major mysteries of the show were pretty much answered by that point. I had predicted that the queer-rats were humans by the second episode I saw them in, and I knew it the moment that Saki and Satoru saw them constructing concrete buildings. So the “big reveal” in the ending, wasn’t surprising to me at all.

It was still an excellent ending and a very good show (and one I unfortunately think too many people are misinterpreting), but I feel like it could have been a true masterpiece if the mystery element of the first 7-8 or so episodes remained all the way to the end.

11. boa_sting says:

Okay, so those with Cantus had the power to change a lot of their own DNA, adding attack inhibition and death feedback and some other features. Cool beans, superpowers.

They also had enough control and power over the non-Cantus humans to just add a lot of naked molerat genes to all of the remaining ones. No problem. Actually, the sequence of events seems off, if they did the death feedback prior to changing the non-Cantus humans. But let’s ignore that.

So the reason they didn’t add attack inhibition and death feedback to the non-Cantus humans (or queerat derivatives, making them not able to attack Cantus humans) was…? Durrr?

• vykr says:

Because death feedback requires Cantus to function, as was explained in episode 4. Durr.

• boa_sting says:

Maybe I should’ve rechecked the facts, my bad.

I think this is an inherent weakness of conjuring convenient plot devices, though. If the explanations don’t really make that much intuitive sense (altering genes is going to cause the subconscious to commandeer innate pscyhokinetic powers to stop the liver under arbitrary conditions that involve harming humans?), they make it more difficult to accept the rules of the world and maybe more difficult to remember. But I guess it should be obvious that anything with that kind of power to target and change something physical requires Cantus. I could just be dumb though.

Okay, so maybe not death feedback, but attack inhibition, maybe less aggressive personalities (is it an advantage for queerats to be fighting each other all the time?), something along those lines?

• Nyangoro says:

Death feedback is little more than extreme form (required for a power like Cantus) of the “feedback” that we already have in our own society: Guilt. Just like society’s morality is so heavily ingrained into us that we feel bad for breaking it (and even our guilt can lead to pretty drastic results), so too is it with their death feedback. It’s just that it’s far stronger in their society, which uses more potent forms of hypnosis and suggestion.

• boa_sting says:

That’s an interesting interpretation and might fit the scenario with respect to fiends (unless I’ve forgotten something else), but still not that satisfying to me.

There don’t particularly seem to be inhibitions with respect to other actions that might cause guilt. It’s rather narrow, only focused on culpability of hurting one’s own kind.

Unlike many of the other directives, hypnosis, suggestion that are applied to people at different stages in their lives, death feedback seems to be rooted in just genetics and environment. After all, it worked with the kid. Maybe it’s hard to argue genetics in a show with psychokinesis, but show me the DNA that codes for the involuntary seppuku response with that trigger, seriously.

• IdiotBoy says:

I’m with you boa_sting, it’s pretty obvious that the person who wrote this show didn’t really understand the difference between psychological conditioning and inherent genetic programming. Because of that, the finale was a big letdown for me in what was an otherwise excellent show.

12. Nebula says:

Overthrowing Holy Cherry Blossom Empire, the revolutionists – “We can change history!”
    Squealer – “We could have changed the history..”
    That was quite brilliant…
    The idea of Cantus is still quite vague, but I think Cantus and mirror symbolized individuality…hence it wouldn’t work in Qeerats’ Marxism community…

• Arno says:

“The idea of Cantus is still quite vague”

Ha ha ha you betcha. Vague vague vague maho maho maho, just anything, whatever provided lots of people die in cruelty and misery.

That was hardly a story, more like people dying or despairing in front of gloomy backgrounds. The dystopia context was used as an excuse for a lack of fictional structure.

Ultra-vague superpowers, ugly animal humans and despairing teenagers don’t make a recipe for a good story.

• HunterWulf says:

That sounds like poor trolling, and i surely don’t wanna see the recipe of what you might consider a good story.

13. witchy says:

Am I the only girl here??

Anyway, despite its flaws, I appreciate greatly the work of the animators to deliver this thick novel into something memorable. I would, of course, love to read the original work myself because there is just the allure of words that cannot be overtaken by the visuals. I would want to read the developments that the anime might not have shown due to constraints and changes in focus.

I believe too that Shin Sekai Yori and P-P and, possibly, Tempest are the first in a few years that gave a feeling of need-to-follow-every-week for me. I love a good story even if they’re not perfect (even their makers aren’t perfect, so I forgive them). Shin Sekai Yori was a great ride in between my school work and life, so I’m quite satisfied how it ended.

I used to hate endings so much, and I still do (95%?). But I wish that future animators will brave adapting a novel as good as this. Perhaps Red Data Girl is a cue for this following, but I really hope more substantial stories will be made into anime. I don’t mind fanservice, but I don’t like them overdone either. It’s the story and their characters that I want to see. I just wish we wouldn’t have to wait another 84 years to have an anime worth debating, discussing, and gushing for. =.=

• Jay says:

Why would you assume you’re the only woman here? There are loads of people who read Psgel’s blog, and it’s not as if most people’s screen names are gendered.

Anyway, apparently there’s a chance that there will be an English language translation of Shin Sekai Yori’s novel. Vertical Inc has said they’ll do it if they get enough expressions of interest. Unfortunately, they only want to hear from people in the US, UK or Canada, so if you’re not from one of those places, you can’t help. There’s a post with details here: http://randomc.net/2013/03/05/potential-translation-of-the-shin-sekai-yori-novel/

• witchy says:

I just meant in the comments. Ü I know there are others, and yes, I heard about the novel possibly having a translation. Since Another’s novel will be translated by YenPress, I wish this would too.

14. Starss says:

Maybe I missed it, but I couldn’t understand why not a single person thought to sacrifice themselves and attempt to kill the fiend instead of letting it slaughter the entire population of the village. It would only trigger death feedback on one person if it was an individual decision too unlike Saki who almost went through it herself since it was her own plan.
    Or is it that to prevent another fiend from happening, all the villagers other than group 1 were simply too brainwashed to consider it….?

• Scruffy says:

Because they couldn’t. Not only is there the death feedback, but a pile of other conditioning that has been put in place to prevent actions that may harm another human

15. HunterWulf says:

Kaburagi tried and he ended up squashed, he was barely fending of the direct cantus attacks of the fiend when he got caught off by the cantus leakage and died a horrible death .. and that was the most powerful Cantus user among Saki’s people .. so no .. direct attack using Cantus wouldn’t have worked.

16. HunterWulf says:

Amazing show and one hell of an amazing ending, so far the best ending among all the shows that are reaching their conclusions (Psycho Pass, Robotics;Notes), it really gives full closure and sums up all that was great about the series in a single episode.

It opens up head-on with Kiromaru’s noble sacrifice (rest in peace noble hero) to help Saki and Satoru defeat the fiend .. and i have to say that this scene was really one hell of a way to start the episode … with Kiromaru rushing the fiend head-on without a speck of fear or hesitation knowing very will it’s pure suicide, then it moves on the aftermath of the war and the short but thought-provoking trial and punishment of Squealer (whose performance in this episode particularly was ground-breaking .. and hell .. they made me feel bad for him with that crazy punishment he got and how much he actually believed he was doing what he did for the sake of his people .. and his belief that he is human).

Followed to the revelation of the truth about Queerats (which was shocking not becasue no one could have guessed it, but because most guesses where about cantus leakage unintentionally turning human outside the barriers into queerats like how cantus leakage deformed many other creatures.. but for humans with cantus to have actually intentionally turned other humans into beastly deformed creatures so they can kill them off when they want without fear of the death-feedback was unbelievably cruel and heart-breaking .. to the point where i thought maybe what squealer did was really the punishment they deserved .. you reap what you sow).

Then Saki having a one-sided nostalgic -and somewhat bitter- conversation with Squealer before giving him a merciful death, and finally Saki and Satoru marrying and having a child and hoping humanity will change to the better .. it couldn’t have been better IMO.

The background art, direction and music seriously deserve a ton of praise and are a huge part (besides the story and dialog) that created the amazing atmosphere this series had (damn, the chanting children chorus is so haunting, the OST of this series is really superb), right down to the very last scene the gripping atmosphere never lets you go.

So far it’s undoubtedly the BEST anime of 2012 (unless Zetsuen pulls off something better than SSY in its ending, if it did i’d be really floored XD)

17. gsilver says:

This ending was brilliant. I’ll be writing up my own review for the show, but needless to say, this is one of the best shows to come around in a while.

One thing I liked a lot about the ending, was that even before the revelation that the monster rats were genetically altered humans, the ending had a very strong feel of “the villain wins” in a horror story. If the appearances and perspectives of the rats and humans were switched, it would be difficult to not side with the rats in their plight. Especially because we’ve seen many instances of outright cruelty from even Saki and Satoru through the course of the series.

As for Squealer sacrificing his own men, that’s a large part of human warfare, as well. Given the stakes and foes they were facing, a human general would likely make the same decisions, and his soldiers would be viewed as heroes.

The other very human thing about the ending, is that the victor writes the history. The rats lost, and as such, their uprising was vilified and their leaders butchered.

• HunterWulf says:

Totally agree about the Squealer part, he is like any modern military leader throwing his men into the fray for the “greater good” of their nation/s, Squealer wasn’t a tyrant they clearly had voting and democracy implemented in a form of a primitive parliament (and since this is one of the few times when Squealer was actually saying the truth i’ll take his word for it .. after all he didn’t lie about what they did to the queens either or try to hide it from Satoru and Saki).

The queerat soldiers themselves seemed rather devoted to their orders almost to the point of being suicidal .. and it’s really hard to force someone into a suicidal attack unless they strongly believe in the cause they are fighting for (think Japanese Zero planes pilots).

Thinking about all this makes the trial of Squealer, his punishment and the revelation that Queerats are deformed humans all the more shocking.

18. Dippindots says:

Do you think Shun was really dead? I’m sort of thinking he’s just an immortal karma demon now, acting as a guardian angel of sorts to Saki. He couldn’t die even when he tried to kill himself with a cocktail of lethal poisons, so why would wrapping a tree around himself do the trick? Just my opinion

I would have prefered it if the magical beings were weird looking instead of all of them being beautiful sameface humans. Also the special role of Chise and how everyone gets alured by her give me strong otome vibes and I am really not a fan of this gerne
@Lenlo/KT same here. It's just that AMB can't come even close to Inu, Shuumatsu or Houseki. I am no a fan of the pacing and the rest is basically just fantasy.
Was worried there for a moment thinking sangatsu no lion was ending next week, turns out season 2 is 22 episodes afterall.
Yeah KT, watching the two together has not come out favorably for AMB for me.
I believe it works better in hellsing and drifters moreso to both being goofball action shows.
A point on the chibi in AMB. I was thinking about shows were the chibi did not bother me, and Hellsing Ultimate and Drifters (newest episodes coming out), both had deformed/chibi segments. For some reason they did not bother me. I think ABM directors have bad timing with them.
I have to say Ichirou Inuyashiki is very cool. Like he is really a cool character. Also I am saddened to say it but watching AMB together with Inuyashuki does not work well for AMB
@Silver: There are sad moments certainly but plenty of humour.
Man, I sure hope Ichirou Inuyashiki and Hiro Shishigami make out, everything is just building up to that
silver
I actually have only watched one or two episodes of this season of 3-gatsu, but its rising scores and rave reviews are making me really excited! I've only put it off because it's somewhat emotionally tiring for me
@Kaiser: Well, after the first season of 3-gatsu ended, I did skim ahead to this bullying arc so I already know this is going to be powerful, yet the anime still wow me over and over
Also it can be tricky selecting a season sequel since some old series had like 50 to 100 episodes, what counted as a season then?
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It's more common in videogames (especially Capcom) than in other mediums. Megaman 2, RE 2, Street Fighter 2, Dino Crisis 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.
Actually in a rarity, a sequel season is better than the first.
Which makes my enjoyment of sangatsu so strange.
And I generally do not like game/sports orientated shows.
That you slightlySuper-erMario and superwooper!
And my reaction to the show is such, that I enjoyed it enough to make such a huge pot about it.
Also I want Akari to be my mom and Hina is adorable without being annoyingly so and Kana Hanazawa is doing a good job voicing her.

And whoever said it is right, the op/ed songs are worth listening to, for once I’m not skipping them.
At this point it feels as if by the end of the series I’ll come off it thinking that I don’t want to say goodbye to these characters.
I don’t think as of just yet it complete lives up to honey and clovers legacy though.
I never cared about Harunobu initially, but recent episodes have changed this.
Dull parts of the manga are easier to get through for me in the anime due to Shaft elevating the material with one of the better uses of their visual gimmicks.
Giving the series another chance, even though I won’t fully embrace the humour, it does now and then manage to make me laugh a little.
The bullying arc centering on Hina and the shows treatment of it is better than most anime bullying stories and has provided the most emotionally rewarding aspect of the show.
Characters that are assholes like Kyouko’s boyfriend, Kyouko herself I’m finding somewhat more sympathetic and want to see more to their personal drama.
However I do genuinely think that the series does a good job of allowing dramatic moments to creep up on the viewer, that early scene of Hina crying over her mother, Rei’s family flashbacks, Akari’s concerns about Hina/the stuff with her dad, all the scenes with Kyouko do carry an effective and solid dramatic weight to them.
I feel it starts very strong, making a great first impression, then kind of has these dull moments that make it sort of a slog at times to get through, unfortunately I have no interest in chess/shougi and no knowledge the show tries to give me is going to stick or allow me to embrace that.
Through jumping back and forth between the anime and manga, I can say I have no caught up to where I will now watch March comes like a lion on a weekly basis.
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki
Mmmmmm the suffering of all those innocent people feeding his God boner, this is why I love Inuyashiki
Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Niello
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?

Inuyashiki – 10 [People of Tokyo]

This was a momentous week for Inuyashiki, with lots of highs and single glaring low. We had terrible CGI, an emotional confrontation between our leads and a fantastic payoff for Inuyashiki. Lets jump in! To start, lets get the big issue out of the way immediately, the PS2 era CGI. To quote reddit, the budget […]

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100