Posted by psgels on 26 March 2013 with categories: From the New World

So after Psycho Pass I figured that I had already seen the best ending of the season. Tempest and From the New World did have a small chance in being able to match it, but not much, or so I thought.

Shin Sekai Yori just delivered the best ending I have seen since finishing Monster. That just was phenomenal, and it’s really been a while since a series managed to drive me as speechless as in this episode. I really thought that the show was over after Squealer was captured and Maria and Mamoru’s child was killed. But this episode really made its impact when it started with Squealer’s trial. And even the fight itself was pretty damn awesome due to the incredibly fluid animation that they showed there.

The way in which this episode exposed the humans for what they did. It was brilliant. There was all this talk about humans, and being human. And then it turns out that even the main characters just helped slaughter what once were basically just humans. Squealer was an excellent villain, and the ending he got makes it all the more sad, despite the things that he did. This show really knows how to hit hard with its gore.

Shin Sekai Yori was awesome. A-1 Pictures took a huge gamble with it, and it worked! It’s one of the most unique series of the past year. And yeah, there were some parts in which the animation was really wonky, but damn: it just did not care about conventions at all. Those are the series that I really like. I applaud you for it.
Rating: 7/8 (Fantastic)

1. DmonHiro says:

I think you mean fanFUCKINGtastic.
    That was brilliant.

2. MCAL says:

I still can’t believe how solid that ending was. In the anime world where 90% of them have rushed endings with zero closure, Shin Sekai comes and basically closes almost every plot-hole and those it didn’t can be mostly easily guessed at. Shin Sekai incredible and a shining reminder that Fall 2012 was a damn fine season for anime where the two cour series made Winter 2013 tolerable.

And Squealer is indeed an excellent antagonist. Hard to believe he is voiced by the same guy who did Waver in F/Z and Hisoka in H x H.

3. Airies says:

This anime made me believe again!

4. boa_sting says:

Maybe we as viewers have a very unrepresentative and biased Group 1 perspective on their society, but to me something about the trial and reactions therein were a bit over the top. Even if the reactions are to be expected, something about the direction or visuals there didn’t really click for me in terms of message. The space was unusually large and open in the middle, for a courtroom or trial proceedings, not to mention the very sparse lighting.

Ah well, I guess the point is how sure the people are of their methods and justice. Most everywhere else, I really liked the experimental art styles, whenever used, so it’s not that.

They’re not really plot holes, but there were some issues with the setting like the condition of Tokyo and so on. Some things don’t add up for making sense 1000 years later, even if you take Cantus leaking out as the explanation for all sorts of weird creatures. I think I’m forgetting some other minor complaints I had too, but these aren’t a big deal considering some of the accomplishments here.

Anyway, at least by the end we get to hear a little bit more of the Largo from the New World Symphony and not just the main theme they keep using.

5. AOI says:

Am I wrong or is this the first time that you give a 7/8 rating for an episode? I fully agree with that rating. This ending was fantastic in every sense. I loved this series despite its varying animation quality and I salivate thinking what this series would have been had all episodes had the animation of episode 25. As a grown-up, in my 30s, this is the kind of series that keep me watching anime: ambitious projects with original scripts or adapted from fascinating novels, such as this one. I now want to read the book so badly…

6. kero says:

Squealer is probably one of the best antagonists by far.

We’ve got a rather ugly character and all along he looks sketchy, he lies, he prevaricates, he’s sneaky, and then we find out all along he’s human.

I loved it despite some of the flaws.

Great soundtrack as well, fantastic use of the main theme for the climax, it really moved me.

7. Blizt says:

Even though many, including me, have speculated that queerats might be human whose DNA was altered, I gotta say when the show said that is indeed the truth, I’m still stunned and shocked…

I had a lot of mixing feeling when seeing this episode…

8. khawlin says:

One of the most haunting endings I have ever seen in anime.

I really wish this had been better marketed ( and stylized) as a horror anime because I think that is where the show became most powerful. Particularly in a season with really little competition in the horror genre. Even the revelations at the end left me with more unease than all the horror series of the last season combined.

It may have at least kept the DVD sales above 900, which is where they currently are.

9. Ebisu says:

Great final chapter with excellent final confrontation and even a trial where the truth is imposed by the winner. The only thing that I would have liked to see was what had exactly happened with Shun. Squealer was great, Satoru leaves it clear he is human after all (though a different species), but he was a monster and a villain all the way, sacrificing all his comrades without a moment’s doubt.

I’m glad to see Saki managed to end the mission with Satoru alive and have a life after that war.

10. Taara535 says:

This is a very good anime, but I have to say it lost its brilliance at the end of the second of the three arcs. This is mainly because the major mysteries of the show were pretty much answered by that point. I had predicted that the queer-rats were humans by the second episode I saw them in, and I knew it the moment that Saki and Satoru saw them constructing concrete buildings. So the “big reveal” in the ending, wasn’t surprising to me at all.

It was still an excellent ending and a very good show (and one I unfortunately think too many people are misinterpreting), but I feel like it could have been a true masterpiece if the mystery element of the first 7-8 or so episodes remained all the way to the end.

11. boa_sting says:

Okay, so those with Cantus had the power to change a lot of their own DNA, adding attack inhibition and death feedback and some other features. Cool beans, superpowers.

They also had enough control and power over the non-Cantus humans to just add a lot of naked molerat genes to all of the remaining ones. No problem. Actually, the sequence of events seems off, if they did the death feedback prior to changing the non-Cantus humans. But let’s ignore that.

So the reason they didn’t add attack inhibition and death feedback to the non-Cantus humans (or queerat derivatives, making them not able to attack Cantus humans) was…? Durrr?

• vykr says:

Because death feedback requires Cantus to function, as was explained in episode 4. Durr.

• boa_sting says:

Maybe I should’ve rechecked the facts, my bad.

I think this is an inherent weakness of conjuring convenient plot devices, though. If the explanations don’t really make that much intuitive sense (altering genes is going to cause the subconscious to commandeer innate pscyhokinetic powers to stop the liver under arbitrary conditions that involve harming humans?), they make it more difficult to accept the rules of the world and maybe more difficult to remember. But I guess it should be obvious that anything with that kind of power to target and change something physical requires Cantus. I could just be dumb though.

Okay, so maybe not death feedback, but attack inhibition, maybe less aggressive personalities (is it an advantage for queerats to be fighting each other all the time?), something along those lines?

• Nyangoro says:

Death feedback is little more than extreme form (required for a power like Cantus) of the “feedback” that we already have in our own society: Guilt. Just like society’s morality is so heavily ingrained into us that we feel bad for breaking it (and even our guilt can lead to pretty drastic results), so too is it with their death feedback. It’s just that it’s far stronger in their society, which uses more potent forms of hypnosis and suggestion.

• boa_sting says:

That’s an interesting interpretation and might fit the scenario with respect to fiends (unless I’ve forgotten something else), but still not that satisfying to me.

There don’t particularly seem to be inhibitions with respect to other actions that might cause guilt. It’s rather narrow, only focused on culpability of hurting one’s own kind.

Unlike many of the other directives, hypnosis, suggestion that are applied to people at different stages in their lives, death feedback seems to be rooted in just genetics and environment. After all, it worked with the kid. Maybe it’s hard to argue genetics in a show with psychokinesis, but show me the DNA that codes for the involuntary seppuku response with that trigger, seriously.

• IdiotBoy says:

I’m with you boa_sting, it’s pretty obvious that the person who wrote this show didn’t really understand the difference between psychological conditioning and inherent genetic programming. Because of that, the finale was a big letdown for me in what was an otherwise excellent show.

12. Nebula says:

Overthrowing Holy Cherry Blossom Empire, the revolutionists – “We can change history!”
    Squealer – “We could have changed the history..”
    That was quite brilliant…
    The idea of Cantus is still quite vague, but I think Cantus and mirror symbolized individuality…hence it wouldn’t work in Qeerats’ Marxism community…

• Arno says:

“The idea of Cantus is still quite vague”

Ha ha ha you betcha. Vague vague vague maho maho maho, just anything, whatever provided lots of people die in cruelty and misery.

That was hardly a story, more like people dying or despairing in front of gloomy backgrounds. The dystopia context was used as an excuse for a lack of fictional structure.

Ultra-vague superpowers, ugly animal humans and despairing teenagers don’t make a recipe for a good story.

• HunterWulf says:

That sounds like poor trolling, and i surely don’t wanna see the recipe of what you might consider a good story.

13. witchy says:

Am I the only girl here??

Anyway, despite its flaws, I appreciate greatly the work of the animators to deliver this thick novel into something memorable. I would, of course, love to read the original work myself because there is just the allure of words that cannot be overtaken by the visuals. I would want to read the developments that the anime might not have shown due to constraints and changes in focus.

I believe too that Shin Sekai Yori and P-P and, possibly, Tempest are the first in a few years that gave a feeling of need-to-follow-every-week for me. I love a good story even if they’re not perfect (even their makers aren’t perfect, so I forgive them). Shin Sekai Yori was a great ride in between my school work and life, so I’m quite satisfied how it ended.

I used to hate endings so much, and I still do (95%?). But I wish that future animators will brave adapting a novel as good as this. Perhaps Red Data Girl is a cue for this following, but I really hope more substantial stories will be made into anime. I don’t mind fanservice, but I don’t like them overdone either. It’s the story and their characters that I want to see. I just wish we wouldn’t have to wait another 84 years to have an anime worth debating, discussing, and gushing for. =.=

• Jay says:

Why would you assume you’re the only woman here? There are loads of people who read Psgel’s blog, and it’s not as if most people’s screen names are gendered.

Anyway, apparently there’s a chance that there will be an English language translation of Shin Sekai Yori’s novel. Vertical Inc has said they’ll do it if they get enough expressions of interest. Unfortunately, they only want to hear from people in the US, UK or Canada, so if you’re not from one of those places, you can’t help. There’s a post with details here:

• witchy says:

I just meant in the comments. Ü I know there are others, and yes, I heard about the novel possibly having a translation. Since Another’s novel will be translated by YenPress, I wish this would too.

14. Starss says:

Maybe I missed it, but I couldn’t understand why not a single person thought to sacrifice themselves and attempt to kill the fiend instead of letting it slaughter the entire population of the village. It would only trigger death feedback on one person if it was an individual decision too unlike Saki who almost went through it herself since it was her own plan.
    Or is it that to prevent another fiend from happening, all the villagers other than group 1 were simply too brainwashed to consider it….?

• Scruffy says:

Because they couldn’t. Not only is there the death feedback, but a pile of other conditioning that has been put in place to prevent actions that may harm another human

15. HunterWulf says:

Kaburagi tried and he ended up squashed, he was barely fending of the direct cantus attacks of the fiend when he got caught off by the cantus leakage and died a horrible death .. and that was the most powerful Cantus user among Saki’s people .. so no .. direct attack using Cantus wouldn’t have worked.

16. HunterWulf says:

Amazing show and one hell of an amazing ending, so far the best ending among all the shows that are reaching their conclusions (Psycho Pass, Robotics;Notes), it really gives full closure and sums up all that was great about the series in a single episode.

It opens up head-on with Kiromaru’s noble sacrifice (rest in peace noble hero) to help Saki and Satoru defeat the fiend .. and i have to say that this scene was really one hell of a way to start the episode … with Kiromaru rushing the fiend head-on without a speck of fear or hesitation knowing very will it’s pure suicide, then it moves on the aftermath of the war and the short but thought-provoking trial and punishment of Squealer (whose performance in this episode particularly was ground-breaking .. and hell .. they made me feel bad for him with that crazy punishment he got and how much he actually believed he was doing what he did for the sake of his people .. and his belief that he is human).

Followed to the revelation of the truth about Queerats (which was shocking not becasue no one could have guessed it, but because most guesses where about cantus leakage unintentionally turning human outside the barriers into queerats like how cantus leakage deformed many other creatures.. but for humans with cantus to have actually intentionally turned other humans into beastly deformed creatures so they can kill them off when they want without fear of the death-feedback was unbelievably cruel and heart-breaking .. to the point where i thought maybe what squealer did was really the punishment they deserved .. you reap what you sow).

Then Saki having a one-sided nostalgic -and somewhat bitter- conversation with Squealer before giving him a merciful death, and finally Saki and Satoru marrying and having a child and hoping humanity will change to the better .. it couldn’t have been better IMO.

The background art, direction and music seriously deserve a ton of praise and are a huge part (besides the story and dialog) that created the amazing atmosphere this series had (damn, the chanting children chorus is so haunting, the OST of this series is really superb), right down to the very last scene the gripping atmosphere never lets you go.

So far it’s undoubtedly the BEST anime of 2012 (unless Zetsuen pulls off something better than SSY in its ending, if it did i’d be really floored XD)

17. gsilver says:

This ending was brilliant. I’ll be writing up my own review for the show, but needless to say, this is one of the best shows to come around in a while.

One thing I liked a lot about the ending, was that even before the revelation that the monster rats were genetically altered humans, the ending had a very strong feel of “the villain wins” in a horror story. If the appearances and perspectives of the rats and humans were switched, it would be difficult to not side with the rats in their plight. Especially because we’ve seen many instances of outright cruelty from even Saki and Satoru through the course of the series.

As for Squealer sacrificing his own men, that’s a large part of human warfare, as well. Given the stakes and foes they were facing, a human general would likely make the same decisions, and his soldiers would be viewed as heroes.

The other very human thing about the ending, is that the victor writes the history. The rats lost, and as such, their uprising was vilified and their leaders butchered.

• HunterWulf says:

Totally agree about the Squealer part, he is like any modern military leader throwing his men into the fray for the “greater good” of their nation/s, Squealer wasn’t a tyrant they clearly had voting and democracy implemented in a form of a primitive parliament (and since this is one of the few times when Squealer was actually saying the truth i’ll take his word for it .. after all he didn’t lie about what they did to the queens either or try to hide it from Satoru and Saki).

The queerat soldiers themselves seemed rather devoted to their orders almost to the point of being suicidal .. and it’s really hard to force someone into a suicidal attack unless they strongly believe in the cause they are fighting for (think Japanese Zero planes pilots).

Thinking about all this makes the trial of Squealer, his punishment and the revelation that Queerats are deformed humans all the more shocking.

18. Dippindots says:

Do you think Shun was really dead? I’m sort of thinking he’s just an immortal karma demon now, acting as a guardian angel of sorts to Saki. He couldn’t die even when he tried to kill himself with a cocktail of lethal poisons, so why would wrapping a tree around himself do the trick? Just my opinion

Took me 2 and half hours to see everything in the DLC. Took me another 3 hours to beat the boss. Damn that boss had me in the zone. I think its was a serious bullshit artifical difficultly boss but man...beating that bullshit boss solo...felt good.
@Mario, starting to think I didn't need my help after all. I hope they make something worthwhile.
On a unrelated note the Dark Souls 3 DLC boss is serious bullshit.
Hey Aidan, thqt Kickstarter project Mecha-ude has passed its goal (nearly double now with 10 more days to go). Seems like people getting real hype for it
Wonder if Bam has played the new Dark Souls DLC. Found it rather lacking when compared to previous DLC from the last games.
@Anon, it's just a video of a still image of anime girls in bikini's with a red circle around one of their chests. Seeing as this thing has no views or subscribers my guess is someones is fishing for views. To which i say...what really is the point of making videos if this is the only way you can get people to watch them?
[link src="
I"] hate this crap that they corrupt anime with (crappy video that insults anime)
So RWBY's back. I actually miss the whole RWBY team. Still prefer Ruby's old custom more. Nora looks cool.
With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373