Posted by psgels on 19 April 2013 with categories: Spring 2013 Kaleidoscope

So, some feedback on my previous entry: it seems that people were actually expecting something else when I said that I’d do a kaleidoscope this season, and that is more of an entry with short impressions on a lot of different series.

I can get behind that. I also like to highlight a lot of different series. The problem is going to be to keep up with all of it. Ever since I got a life I can’t just consistently keep up with everything every single week, so be sure to expect some delays.

These entries won’t be complete, but every thursday, I’ll try to give a rundown of my favorite episodes of the series that I’m not blogging, along with disappointments or other noteworthy episodes that I happen to watch. Enjoy.

Top 3:

#1: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z – 02: very rarely is a comedy sequel better than its predecessor. And yet, Azazel-san here had its best episode yet. With this I include all the OVAs and TV-series together. With the first episode I already said that Moloch is by far the best character of the series, but he really surpassed himself with this episode; it was just brilliant. The creators had so many hilarious ideas with how they made him pretend to be a stuffed animal and they built up their humour perfectly. Heck, this was the funniest thing I’ve seen all year.

#2: Hunter X Hunter – 75: Finally. After waiting for more than a year and a half. Throughout 75 episodes. We are finally about to get to the new material. Finally I won’t have to bitch anymore about the series just being a glorified recap. Anyway, the Greed Island arc was done better in Madhouse’s version compared to what Nippon Animation did to it (better pacing, better action, better acting, things flowed much better), but it remains for a large part a training arc that is just boring to watch. This final episode though was really good, as it showed some of the people behind the Greed Island Game. Just one thing: didn’t Hunter x Hunter have its own alphabet? What are they doing then toying with latin letters over and over here? And then the text on the cards for Greed Island is in Japanese… how do languages work there anyway?

#3: Danchi Tomou – 02: Oh come on, people. It’s been a week and still no subs? What is this? 2008? Anyway, Tomou is good. It’s slice of life without much happening, but the characters are quite endearing so far, and it’s about actually interesting situations. I actually quite liked how everyone just got out and had dinner outside on a whim. It’s full of these small relatable things, but sometimes it does go on for a bit too long (the smelly hands thing got awkward quite fast, and it just went on and on!)

Notes about Aiura: sorry, but being the fan of Ryousuke Nakamura I have to talk about this. The second episode still was funny, the voice acting was still very good, but there are some stereotypes. Well hidden stereotypes, but you can see that this was based on a mediocre manga.

Disappointments:

Karneval – 02: I’m not going to watch the second episode of everything, only the series that I thought had potential. Out of those, Karneval disappointed me the most. Listen, there is a difference between stupidity, and acting like you’re outright lobotomized. The male lead acts like a completely whiny kid with no grasp of who he is. The rest of the cast tries way too hard with their acting. If I dropped the Hakkenden, I also have to drop this one, because the Hakkenden was much, much more solid.

Devil Survivor – 02: You know what really surprised me? How boring this show is. I mean, even Persona had some fun elements when it started, but this… the characters are completely bland and I’ve already forgotten what half of this thing was about. The animators try, but I see no motivation whatsoever from the scriptwriters or directors.

1. gedata says:

Devil Survivor 2 has disappointed with the 2 episodes I’ve seen. It’s like their not trying to bring character to these characters. Hopefully episode 3 and beyond will rectify my issues here.

• nil says:

Even aside from the atrocious characters, the way they handled the story doesn’t really help the clumsy premise—an Eva setting with Digimon battles and oversimplified organizations.

• anona says:

I’m actually under the impression that this director-writer duo of Kishi Seiji and Uezu Makoto only put effort in projects they really want to do, while in other projects they’re just in for the money and don’t put effort. If you look at Jintai and Sunred, they were both really well done up to the details. But in Persona and and DeSu, it really looked like there was no effort put in directing/writing it.

• Kiraly says:

Uezo Makoto didn’t do Persona 4.

And there was definitely a lot of effort put into writing it – the entire scenario is changed from the game! And so many little details are added to explain the setting without the aid of game stuff.

The problem is that the direction is entirely uninspired – it feels like Seiji Kishi is just going through the motions. I really hate the guy.

• anona says:

My bad on PS4, I didn’t check.
          Oh, I haven’t played DeSu 2 so I didn’t know. There’s still the problem with characterization though. Then maybe it’s just Kishi Seiji who doesn’t put enough effort in some titles, since Jintai and Sunred is directed well imo. And also Kamisama Dolls, even if I didn’t like the series.

2. Airies says:

PSGELS, Perfect. This is exactly what I was hoping for but its even better because we get to see disappointments as well! Awesome and thankyou! Delays are no problem if this is the reward :D

3. Loz says:

I definitely agree with you about Devil & Karneval.

Cant comment on Danchi as i haven’t seen/not watching it.

Also im very glad to see more Azazel & im still loving HXH.

However I disagree with you about Aiura. After the first episode I thought ‘I dont see any potential here, but its really short, it didnt really have time to get going, lets see where they go with this’. My initial thoughts were confirmed with the second episode. Its a waste of time, and thats saying something in itself, considering its 4 mins long and the OP consumes just over a minute of that time.

I actually thought the voice acting wasn’t very good in it. Funny how different people perceive things.

• Airies says:

I agree with everything you have said about Aiura. Nothing has happened, what are these jokes he is talking about? Like I actually re-watched ep 1 again to try and understand but I still dont. its interesting that psgels likes it though. I’m lost with where the potential was found.

4. Vast says:

At the begining of GI arc, in the “GI Tutorial”, they said the card’s text was in their language, but they were going to translate it for us so we could understand the meaning.

So, it’s like the cards are in their language for them but in japanese for us.

But the thing with the latin alphabet seems like a mistake.

• Glossa Bingo says:

Actually, there are many different languages in HxH. The text made-up by the series’ creator is the Universal Language. However, both English and Chinese exist too.

5. Ruca says:

If the characters are bland, it’s fault of the adaptation.Io’s reaction after the dead of her parents and Yamato usual smiling (he has a very charismatic character in the game, for me) wasn’t saw in the second episode, which is bad because the anime have only 13 episodes. Even if the production is a masterpiece, it’s a hard task to show everything the game did, and all the character development.

• Airies says:

“Which is a shame… Storywise and characterwise, Devil Survivor 2 (the game, for sure) probably is better than most of the things in this half year.”

wait are you talking about the aniem here or the game, or both?

Because if you are talking about the anime you are wrong. Better things happened in winter than what has been shown in the first two eps.

• boa_sting says:

When people talk about the game being decent or some such (*ahem* correction: when -I- talk about it, and clearly my opinion is shared by the rest of the world, no questions asked…) I thought that was about the game aspects. Not the story, characters, etc.

I’m not even sure if there’s a decent way to adapt the material, but what’s going on so far sure isn’t it. So far the approach seems to be to mostly cram in exposition and make the characters react to that in mundane ways. As would be expected, some events and scenarios are new, and others are cobbled together with elements from the source material into something that’s not quite cohesive.

The pace isn’t that fast, so we just get weak characters and then not all that much excitement from the storyline itself.

That said, episode three has a trick up its sleeves regarding character development, considering the time constraints and large cast (no, it doesn’t really get executed better, but you’ll see what I mean, if you haven’t watched it already).

6. Emma-hime says:

I’m beginning to get a cardboard feel from devil survivors characters, when the action stops it can’t really cover for itself. Still I’m liking it more than persona 4 if only for the action bits, so I’ll stick around another bit if only for the action.
    Azazel’s ova, I just can’t imagine that being topped by a tv version, It just seems like it would be neutered. Danchi, Aiura and hunter I’ve not followed so I don’t know there.
    Karnevals voice acting is kind of middling and their rushing it a bit. That said I loved the manga for that one.

7. Emma-hime says:

Maybe its just me but the latest devil survivor kinda cool action aside feels a bit like watching a game in a bad way.

8. Juno says:

This is it, psgels. I think you can sum up a lot of what you want to say right here without getting yourself crowded with too much to cover. If something isn’t covered, then that simply means you haven’t enough to say about it to make it worth the time you might need for other things outside of this blog.

I’m happy about this, even if I only watch Aiura out of the ones you chose this time. =P

9. kekkanseihin says:

It’s not like games were an easy medium to adapt anyway, but ATLUS Games just aren’t fit at all for that. I never heard anything absolutely negative about adaptations of the Tales series, so I’ll just assume they weren’t completely horrible even if I didn’t watch them simply because I’m easily bored when I already know the content as such (I’m also just skipping through Devil Survivor 2 really). I’ve played most mothership Tales titles so far and anyone of them would be easier to adapt as an anime than ATLUS stuff. Why is that? Tales games, while I’m not saying they don’t have twists and excitement in their storylines, are rather linear experiences. You follow a set route from town to dungeon to town etc.; the oldschool way. Especially Tales is more like an interactive anime anyway. On the other hand in games like Persona or DS you as a player decide over the outcome of events and the development of the plot. How do you weave that into a linear anime plot? And is it even possible to create something for viewers that don’t know the original? I don’t think so. On top of that with ATLUS you can’t even see all of the content in one playthrough. So just think about how much is left out in the respective anime adaptations…

• Király says:

DeSu2, unlike the first DeSu, is very liniar. I forgot that the character development isn’t though (being something of a social link system).

They handled the story pretty much perfectly in ep2, but it’s missing all of the details that made the characters (especially Yamato) so endearing. Which is less of a problem if you’ve played the game.

Well, I still have to watch ep 3.

A non-standard 17 ep. length would have been ideal for this game.

10. starry says:

Devil Survivor just feels very average right now. A shame because I wanted to watch it since I never played the game (SRPGS don’t gel with me).

11. Starss says:

Very sad about Karneval, seeing a lot of resemblances to K which I was not a fan of. A huge cast of characters each with a quirk and a special power, the most annoying wimpy white haired main character, the awful annoying bland main character… But it looks nice, and there’s enough interesting characters.

Did you see the ginga bishounen? That came out of the bear suit and boosted up two star swords? hehe

12. jzar says:

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z

I’ve been a big fan of this and it continues to be one of my favorite shows for the season. I’m so glad to see it back and doing well.

13. Lirael says:

“Listen, there is a difference between stupidity, and acting like you’re outright lobotomized. The male lead acts like a completely whiny kid with no grasp of who he is.”

If this is your main reason for dropping Karneval, then I suggest you watch the 3rd episode, it explains why Nai (the lead) acts like that. And no, the answer is not “because he has amnesia”.

14. saris says:

Well, for Devil survivor, just watch EP.3, personally it got really better.

• gedata says:

this, I actually liked it’s third episode, psgels should give this thing one more shot at least

• Kiraly says:

I’m still surprised at how different from the game it is. I mean, I don’t think it actually ‘adapted’ anything past the first half of the first episode. It just makes up its own sequence of events, loosely based on the game.

I like it, in other words.

(And I can’t believe they actually let THAT happen in ep 3 *lol*)

15. dominus says:

Well “that” had to happen to create some tension in the series I mean its not a survival “game” if everybody gets by everything without some “damage”.

16. gedata says:

Well, at least this Devil Survivor 2 proved it’s worthy of the 3 episodes test. Doubt it will be worth much more.

17. meaqui says:

Karneval:
    Well, I already commented on the first episode of Karneval that I thought it was pretty bad. I had a look at the manga, but its just so stupid that I had to drop it. Cant be compared to Pandora Hearts. I stopped when the Girl said “Karneval is going after dangerous criminals, so people are afraid of them. To take that fear away they perform a show”. That was just too ridiculous…And the characters are walking stereotypes – especially the one that smiles all the time and never says anyting, while he actually knows everything that is going on :S And then those hats…What purpose do they serve again in a fight???

Hunter x Hunter:
    While I absolutely love the Chimera Ant arc – especially the climax and the storytelling in the manga at this point, the last time I was skimming through those chapter I found quite a lot of cliches. Well, the antagonists are getting better, but at the beginning they are pretty much evil personified. I dont think psgels will like that;) Im betting at the end of the arc psgels will write something like “not that bad, but definitely much worse than the Yorkshin arc”. (not my opinion)

• gedata says:

I don’t. Think the Ant arc has a villain issue really, some of thm are of course evil and that’s it, but it also has ones that are fully realized characters. It works out.

18. Blue says:

I wasn’t too impressed with the first two episodes of Karneval either. That said, I do think that third episode is an improvement. That might not mean much in the overall shape of things, but they finally started building Gareki and Nai’s relationship. I won’t say it completely turned around my opinion of the show, because it didn’t, but it helped perk me up for the next episode when I was beginning to think of it as a drag.

19. Silty says:

With Karneval, you really have to decide how much lobotomized behavior bothers you *even when it gets justified later on*. Some things are annoying even when lampshaded. This may be one of those things.

20. Arno says:

Hi psgels, as for me you don’t have to apologize, or provide explanations.

Just write what you like during your free time, and I will be happy to read you. When I have time too.

And thanks for the great intros to animes that without you I would not have thought of watching.

21. Chan says:

The problem with Karneval is that it takes a while for you get into it. It is not a series for those who seek instant gratification, but at the same time it does reward those who actually give time for the story to set the stage. In a way it resembles D.Gray-man if the anime was aired in order (if the series in its proper order Allen would have reached the order in episode 3 or 4 not 2 and a few other episodes would have been flashbacks). So for this I would say give it one more chance and watch episode 3, it will change the way you look at the characters the story itself.

As for K the anime was never meant to be a stand alone, its a part of a multi-media project.

22. Renny says:

Stick with Karneval. I just watched Ep 3 and some things now makes sense. Devil Survivor is downright boring.

23. Tanz says:

I read Karneval manga up to the latest chapter just for the fun but it turned out pretty impressive after a couple of chapters. There’s actually an explanation for the said whimpy kid so I dropped all charges I had with him. But the primary reason I may have fallen slightly a bit to Karneval is Gareka. He’s turning out to be a wonderful character.

24. Kim says:

There is a reason Nai (the white haired character in Karneval) acts the way he does. It’s explained in episode 3.

He’s also not really the main character. If you follow the story, we are mainly following Gareki’s pov. He’s the normal character in the story so to speak.

That being said the plot isn’t anything amazing so I can’t say you are missing a great story. To me its more a guilty pleasure.

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100