Posted by psgels on 19 April 2013 with categories: Spring 2013 Kaleidoscope

So, some feedback on my previous entry: it seems that people were actually expecting something else when I said that I’d do a kaleidoscope this season, and that is more of an entry with short impressions on a lot of different series.

I can get behind that. I also like to highlight a lot of different series. The problem is going to be to keep up with all of it. Ever since I got a life I can’t just consistently keep up with everything every single week, so be sure to expect some delays.

These entries won’t be complete, but every thursday, I’ll try to give a rundown of my favorite episodes of the series that I’m not blogging, along with disappointments or other noteworthy episodes that I happen to watch. Enjoy.

Top 3:

#1: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z – 02: very rarely is a comedy sequel better than its predecessor. And yet, Azazel-san here had its best episode yet. With this I include all the OVAs and TV-series together. With the first episode I already said that Moloch is by far the best character of the series, but he really surpassed himself with this episode; it was just brilliant. The creators had so many hilarious ideas with how they made him pretend to be a stuffed animal and they built up their humour perfectly. Heck, this was the funniest thing I’ve seen all year.

#2: Hunter X Hunter – 75: Finally. After waiting for more than a year and a half. Throughout 75 episodes. We are finally about to get to the new material. Finally I won’t have to bitch anymore about the series just being a glorified recap. Anyway, the Greed Island arc was done better in Madhouse’s version compared to what Nippon Animation did to it (better pacing, better action, better acting, things flowed much better), but it remains for a large part a training arc that is just boring to watch. This final episode though was really good, as it showed some of the people behind the Greed Island Game. Just one thing: didn’t Hunter x Hunter have its own alphabet? What are they doing then toying with latin letters over and over here? And then the text on the cards for Greed Island is in Japanese… how do languages work there anyway?

#3: Danchi Tomou – 02: Oh come on, people. It’s been a week and still no subs? What is this? 2008? Anyway, Tomou is good. It’s slice of life without much happening, but the characters are quite endearing so far, and it’s about actually interesting situations. I actually quite liked how everyone just got out and had dinner outside on a whim. It’s full of these small relatable things, but sometimes it does go on for a bit too long (the smelly hands thing got awkward quite fast, and it just went on and on!)

Notes about Aiura: sorry, but being the fan of Ryousuke Nakamura I have to talk about this. The second episode still was funny, the voice acting was still very good, but there are some stereotypes. Well hidden stereotypes, but you can see that this was based on a mediocre manga.

Karneval – 02: I’m not going to watch the second episode of everything, only the series that I thought had potential. Out of those, Karneval disappointed me the most. Listen, there is a difference between stupidity, and acting like you’re outright lobotomized. The male lead acts like a completely whiny kid with no grasp of who he is. The rest of the cast tries way too hard with their acting. If I dropped the Hakkenden, I also have to drop this one, because the Hakkenden was much, much more solid.

Devil Survivor – 02: You know what really surprised me? How boring this show is. I mean, even Persona had some fun elements when it started, but this… the characters are completely bland and I’ve already forgotten what half of this thing was about. The animators try, but I see no motivation whatsoever from the scriptwriters or directors.

1. gedata says:

Devil Survivor 2 has disappointed with the 2 episodes I’ve seen. It’s like their not trying to bring character to these characters. Hopefully episode 3 and beyond will rectify my issues here.

• nil says:

Even aside from the atrocious characters, the way they handled the story doesn’t really help the clumsy premise—an Eva setting with Digimon battles and oversimplified organizations.

• anona says:

I’m actually under the impression that this director-writer duo of Kishi Seiji and Uezu Makoto only put effort in projects they really want to do, while in other projects they’re just in for the money and don’t put effort. If you look at Jintai and Sunred, they were both really well done up to the details. But in Persona and and DeSu, it really looked like there was no effort put in directing/writing it.

• Kiraly says:

Uezo Makoto didn’t do Persona 4.

And there was definitely a lot of effort put into writing it – the entire scenario is changed from the game! And so many little details are added to explain the setting without the aid of game stuff.

The problem is that the direction is entirely uninspired – it feels like Seiji Kishi is just going through the motions. I really hate the guy.

• anona says:

My bad on PS4, I didn’t check.
          Oh, I haven’t played DeSu 2 so I didn’t know. There’s still the problem with characterization though. Then maybe it’s just Kishi Seiji who doesn’t put enough effort in some titles, since Jintai and Sunred is directed well imo. And also Kamisama Dolls, even if I didn’t like the series.

2. Airies says:

PSGELS, Perfect. This is exactly what I was hoping for but its even better because we get to see disappointments as well! Awesome and thankyou! Delays are no problem if this is the reward :D

3. Loz says:

I definitely agree with you about Devil & Karneval.

Cant comment on Danchi as i haven’t seen/not watching it.

Also im very glad to see more Azazel & im still loving HXH.

However I disagree with you about Aiura. After the first episode I thought ‘I dont see any potential here, but its really short, it didnt really have time to get going, lets see where they go with this’. My initial thoughts were confirmed with the second episode. Its a waste of time, and thats saying something in itself, considering its 4 mins long and the OP consumes just over a minute of that time.

I actually thought the voice acting wasn’t very good in it. Funny how different people perceive things.

• Airies says:

I agree with everything you have said about Aiura. Nothing has happened, what are these jokes he is talking about? Like I actually re-watched ep 1 again to try and understand but I still dont. its interesting that psgels likes it though. I’m lost with where the potential was found.

4. Vast says:

At the begining of GI arc, in the “GI Tutorial”, they said the card’s text was in their language, but they were going to translate it for us so we could understand the meaning.

So, it’s like the cards are in their language for them but in japanese for us.

But the thing with the latin alphabet seems like a mistake.

• Glossa Bingo says:

Actually, there are many different languages in HxH. The text made-up by the series’ creator is the Universal Language. However, both English and Chinese exist too.

5. Ruca says:

If the characters are bland, it’s fault of the adaptation.Io’s reaction after the dead of her parents and Yamato usual smiling (he has a very charismatic character in the game, for me) wasn’t saw in the second episode, which is bad because the anime have only 13 episodes. Even if the production is a masterpiece, it’s a hard task to show everything the game did, and all the character development.

• Airies says:

“Which is a shame… Storywise and characterwise, Devil Survivor 2 (the game, for sure) probably is better than most of the things in this half year.”

wait are you talking about the aniem here or the game, or both?

Because if you are talking about the anime you are wrong. Better things happened in winter than what has been shown in the first two eps.

• boa_sting says:

When people talk about the game being decent or some such (*ahem* correction: when -I- talk about it, and clearly my opinion is shared by the rest of the world, no questions asked…) I thought that was about the game aspects. Not the story, characters, etc.

I’m not even sure if there’s a decent way to adapt the material, but what’s going on so far sure isn’t it. So far the approach seems to be to mostly cram in exposition and make the characters react to that in mundane ways. As would be expected, some events and scenarios are new, and others are cobbled together with elements from the source material into something that’s not quite cohesive.

The pace isn’t that fast, so we just get weak characters and then not all that much excitement from the storyline itself.

That said, episode three has a trick up its sleeves regarding character development, considering the time constraints and large cast (no, it doesn’t really get executed better, but you’ll see what I mean, if you haven’t watched it already).

6. Emma-hime says:

I’m beginning to get a cardboard feel from devil survivors characters, when the action stops it can’t really cover for itself. Still I’m liking it more than persona 4 if only for the action bits, so I’ll stick around another bit if only for the action.
    Azazel’s ova, I just can’t imagine that being topped by a tv version, It just seems like it would be neutered. Danchi, Aiura and hunter I’ve not followed so I don’t know there.
    Karnevals voice acting is kind of middling and their rushing it a bit. That said I loved the manga for that one.

7. Emma-hime says:

Maybe its just me but the latest devil survivor kinda cool action aside feels a bit like watching a game in a bad way.

8. Juno says:

This is it, psgels. I think you can sum up a lot of what you want to say right here without getting yourself crowded with too much to cover. If something isn’t covered, then that simply means you haven’t enough to say about it to make it worth the time you might need for other things outside of this blog.

I’m happy about this, even if I only watch Aiura out of the ones you chose this time. =P

9. kekkanseihin says:

It’s not like games were an easy medium to adapt anyway, but ATLUS Games just aren’t fit at all for that. I never heard anything absolutely negative about adaptations of the Tales series, so I’ll just assume they weren’t completely horrible even if I didn’t watch them simply because I’m easily bored when I already know the content as such (I’m also just skipping through Devil Survivor 2 really). I’ve played most mothership Tales titles so far and anyone of them would be easier to adapt as an anime than ATLUS stuff. Why is that? Tales games, while I’m not saying they don’t have twists and excitement in their storylines, are rather linear experiences. You follow a set route from town to dungeon to town etc.; the oldschool way. Especially Tales is more like an interactive anime anyway. On the other hand in games like Persona or DS you as a player decide over the outcome of events and the development of the plot. How do you weave that into a linear anime plot? And is it even possible to create something for viewers that don’t know the original? I don’t think so. On top of that with ATLUS you can’t even see all of the content in one playthrough. So just think about how much is left out in the respective anime adaptations…

• Király says:

DeSu2, unlike the first DeSu, is very liniar. I forgot that the character development isn’t though (being something of a social link system).

They handled the story pretty much perfectly in ep2, but it’s missing all of the details that made the characters (especially Yamato) so endearing. Which is less of a problem if you’ve played the game.

Well, I still have to watch ep 3.

A non-standard 17 ep. length would have been ideal for this game.

10. starry says:

Devil Survivor just feels very average right now. A shame because I wanted to watch it since I never played the game (SRPGS don’t gel with me).

11. Starss says:

Very sad about Karneval, seeing a lot of resemblances to K which I was not a fan of. A huge cast of characters each with a quirk and a special power, the most annoying wimpy white haired main character, the awful annoying bland main character… But it looks nice, and there’s enough interesting characters.

Did you see the ginga bishounen? That came out of the bear suit and boosted up two star swords? hehe

12. jzar says:

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z

I’ve been a big fan of this and it continues to be one of my favorite shows for the season. I’m so glad to see it back and doing well.

13. Lirael says:

“Listen, there is a difference between stupidity, and acting like you’re outright lobotomized. The male lead acts like a completely whiny kid with no grasp of who he is.”

If this is your main reason for dropping Karneval, then I suggest you watch the 3rd episode, it explains why Nai (the lead) acts like that. And no, the answer is not “because he has amnesia”.

14. saris says:

Well, for Devil survivor, just watch EP.3, personally it got really better.

• gedata says:

this, I actually liked it’s third episode, psgels should give this thing one more shot at least

• Kiraly says:

I’m still surprised at how different from the game it is. I mean, I don’t think it actually ‘adapted’ anything past the first half of the first episode. It just makes up its own sequence of events, loosely based on the game.

I like it, in other words.

(And I can’t believe they actually let THAT happen in ep 3 *lol*)

15. dominus says:

Well “that” had to happen to create some tension in the series I mean its not a survival “game” if everybody gets by everything without some “damage”.

16. gedata says:

Well, at least this Devil Survivor 2 proved it’s worthy of the 3 episodes test. Doubt it will be worth much more.

17. meaqui says:

Well, I already commented on the first episode of Karneval that I thought it was pretty bad. I had a look at the manga, but its just so stupid that I had to drop it. Cant be compared to Pandora Hearts. I stopped when the Girl said “Karneval is going after dangerous criminals, so people are afraid of them. To take that fear away they perform a show”. That was just too ridiculous…And the characters are walking stereotypes – especially the one that smiles all the time and never says anyting, while he actually knows everything that is going on :S And then those hats…What purpose do they serve again in a fight???

Hunter x Hunter:
    While I absolutely love the Chimera Ant arc – especially the climax and the storytelling in the manga at this point, the last time I was skimming through those chapter I found quite a lot of cliches. Well, the antagonists are getting better, but at the beginning they are pretty much evil personified. I dont think psgels will like that;) Im betting at the end of the arc psgels will write something like “not that bad, but definitely much worse than the Yorkshin arc”. (not my opinion)

• gedata says:

I don’t. Think the Ant arc has a villain issue really, some of thm are of course evil and that’s it, but it also has ones that are fully realized characters. It works out.

18. Blue says:

I wasn’t too impressed with the first two episodes of Karneval either. That said, I do think that third episode is an improvement. That might not mean much in the overall shape of things, but they finally started building Gareki and Nai’s relationship. I won’t say it completely turned around my opinion of the show, because it didn’t, but it helped perk me up for the next episode when I was beginning to think of it as a drag.

19. Silty says:

With Karneval, you really have to decide how much lobotomized behavior bothers you *even when it gets justified later on*. Some things are annoying even when lampshaded. This may be one of those things.

20. Arno says:

Hi psgels, as for me you don’t have to apologize, or provide explanations.

Just write what you like during your free time, and I will be happy to read you. When I have time too.

And thanks for the great intros to animes that without you I would not have thought of watching.

21. Chan says:

The problem with Karneval is that it takes a while for you get into it. It is not a series for those who seek instant gratification, but at the same time it does reward those who actually give time for the story to set the stage. In a way it resembles D.Gray-man if the anime was aired in order (if the series in its proper order Allen would have reached the order in episode 3 or 4 not 2 and a few other episodes would have been flashbacks). So for this I would say give it one more chance and watch episode 3, it will change the way you look at the characters the story itself.

As for K the anime was never meant to be a stand alone, its a part of a multi-media project.

22. Renny says:

Stick with Karneval. I just watched Ep 3 and some things now makes sense. Devil Survivor is downright boring.

23. Tanz says:

I read Karneval manga up to the latest chapter just for the fun but it turned out pretty impressive after a couple of chapters. There’s actually an explanation for the said whimpy kid so I dropped all charges I had with him. But the primary reason I may have fallen slightly a bit to Karneval is Gareka. He’s turning out to be a wonderful character.

24. Kim says:

There is a reason Nai (the white haired character in Karneval) acts the way he does. It’s explained in episode 3.

He’s also not really the main character. If you follow the story, we are mainly following Gareki’s pov. He’s the normal character in the story so to speak.

That being said the plot isn’t anything amazing so I can’t say you are missing a great story. To me its more a guilty pleasure.

Mail will not be published
  • Masky
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:43 PM)
    Anyway seriously though, I’d say it does actually make sense in context xD Since none of monsters are actually that threatening.
  • Masky
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:42 PM)
    .-. I have no words, mainly because whenever anyone uses word “Realism” in context of video game, I want to say rude words xD
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:40 PM)
    I think he gave it a passing glance and felt it wasn’t his thing, I remember he also felt that he thought the idea of sparing the monsters wasn’t believable or realistic given that he felt if you were realistically placed in that situation yourself, the real thing to do would be to fight back out of fear.
  • Masky
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:37 PM)
    Did he actually play the game though? I mean, did he actually discover it himself or did he just heard the spoilers?
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:35 PM)
    I had a talk with a friend about undertale and he wasn’t a fan, he prefers other types of rpgs, the choice element also made him uncomfortable and that he felt the game was too punishing.
  • Masky
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:34 PM)
    @Kaiser: Puzzle elements, outside of sparing everyone, seem to be mainly just parodying video game puzzles. Like, only place where you actually have to solve actual puzzles is in Hotland, before that pretty much every puzzle is automatically solved, really easy or has some silly twist to it. Like the puzzle you can skip by pressing a switch in tree trunk. Can’t say I’m too fond of puzzles either, but I liked how game was making fun of them
  • Masky
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:32 PM)
    Speaking of awful sense of humor and things that dorks like, just wanted to say that turns out I was right about Jitsu wa watashi wa in that main couple does get together before chapter 100(forgot what exactly, some where in 80-90 range I think). But they are such huge dorks that they do everything ridiculously slowly because they are that embarrassed, so they have had like just one date(in chapter 100). Not that I expect anyone to remember what the heck I’m talking about xD
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:32 PM)
    The battle system grew on me a bit, but I didn’t like the puzzle elements it offered, the actual gameplay looked kind of dull also. Some of the characters were likeable enough, Papyrus, Asogore, the flower guy being my favourite though the plot didn’t really get interesting until the end.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:27 PM)
    I think any emotional response from undertale for melargely came from that it gave me this great sense of nostalgia bomb, but I’m okay with that totes =)
  • Masky
    (Thursday, Nov 26. 2015 07:27 PM)
    And as a dork, I can say its to me personally funniest crap I have played in long time because it appeals to my sense of humor so well that I realized things about my sense of humor that I hadn’t noticed before while playing the game <_< I mean, its really darn silly game, even with the emotional moments.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

One Punch Man – 08

I wish I knew just what that girl at the beginning was parodying as she’s clearly been overdrawn in a completely different style. My closest guess would be the poster girls of creature features in the 60s and 70s as she wouldn’t look out of place if pasted into a movie poster. I don’t think […]

Young BlackJack – 08

While I find the level of risk in this two part arc to be inconsequential, I must admit that I like how it all turned out. For this is the first time in this series that Blackjack failed. While he was able to discern the cause of Johnny’s lack of pain, he was unable to […]

Subete ga F ni Naru – 07

Oh those poor seiyūs that had to act in today’s episode. I can only imagine the horror when a Japanese speaking seiyū is told they need to have an entire conversation in English in a fairly dialogue heavy show. Japanese and English happen to be two of the hardest languages to learn so if they […]

One Punch Man – 07

This episode mainly focused on a giant Meteor about to annihilate the city and the introduction if S class heroes, Metal Knight and Bang. Bang makes it a point to say how the top class heroes are hardly very heroic with most not showing up at all to stop a city’s total destruction. Even one […]

Young BlackJack – 07

Racism is always a thorny topic to deal with. Regardless of intent there are just so many ways of messing it up, be it by using strawmen or one dimensional caricatures. It’s a topic that requires a delicate hand to prevent pushing it to its extreme all to make an obvious point of Racism being […]

Subete ga F ni Naru – 06

I can’t say I enjoyed this episode of Subete too much, mainly because there was less investigating and more character building. That wouldn’t be a problem if the character building wasn’t so focused on our main leads. The leads are fine, what we need is to expand on the other characters present on the island […]

One Punch Man – 06

It is interesting that the challenges that Saitama faces that get him worried that truly the most mundane and ordinary. Saitama can punch a monster into oblivion but when it comes to essays or going to sales he’s powerless. Here we have him about to be kicked out of the hero association if he doesn’t […]

Young BlackJack – 06

There are times when Blackjacks over the top nature can be entertaining presentation wise and others when it can remove any sense of surprise. While I do like the things Blackjack explores, it is very clear cut on how it shows it. In this episode the man that Blackjack and the army Medic have been […]

Subete ga F ni Naru – 05

The more I hear about Magata’s DID, the more suspect it becomes. According to this episode, Magata didn’t conceive DID out of trauma or accident but instead intentionally crafted alternate personalities so well to the point that it became DID. I personally find the mechanics of this rather fantastical as I don’t think anyone can […]

Gangsta. – 58/100

Gangsta is an anime with a lot of things going for it. A mature cast, gritty themes, a interesting setting and a trio of main characters who can carry the show. However due to a number of factors it never quite reached its potential. The main trio of characters are unconventional and quite interesting with […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 80/100

Gakkou is one with a good facade as promotional material would have you believe it was some dime a dozen moe slice of life. I was one who wasn’t fooled by the cute cuddly exterior but I was truly surprised with just how good this anime ended up being. Gakkou is one of those rare […]

Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade – 81/100

I wonder when it was that a film being childish became a flaw. As a medium grows it takes steps to aim to mature itself and seek a more intellectual level of presenting entertainment. Animation did it as Anime aimed to explore terrontry that cartoons refuse to explore and video games only recently broke away […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks Review – 85/100

For a long time now this adaption has been the dreams of many a Fate fan with many believing it would never come to pass, but now that it is here is it everything that we dreamed? Short answer to this is no, long answer is nearly. I feel this show will have many divided […]

Shirobako Review – 80/100

When you see a harem anime and sigh as the breasts of the female lead jiggle with every step and wind that can flip a skirt it’s easy to forget that somewhere in Japan a group of people worked hard to get that jiggle right and draw each frame of animation. The hardships of the […]

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]