Posted by psgels on 23 April 2013 with categories: Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)

I already know what’s going to happen for the first couple of episodes in this series, but this episode was a bit of an exception, in which the creators went into far more detail during the training arc. I guess that in that way, I still prefer anime over manga. It’s probably something really personal, but in animated form, I can get a better feel of who the characters are, making them easier to relate to. Eren really benefitted from that in particular.

On the other hand, the creators did spent an entire episode training, which is not the most interesting practice to watch. This episode was really interesting for the character building. It made characters stand out without using cliches, and showed a good combination of characters who were just there to live the easy life, to do something exciting, or determined to exterminate the titans. The cast is large, but everyone has his own identity. We’re going to have to wait a bit longer to find out whether the creators nailed the big strength of this series though.

This is the balance between build-up and delivery that you need to strike right. I think that that will be a very big challenge for this series: getting the pacing right to fit the story into 25 episodes. With this episode they chose for a solid base on the characters, at the expense of taking a bit of a step back. Now let’s see whether the animators can make the wait pay off!
Rating: 4.5/8 (Good)

1. gedata says:

This was an interesting week, out of all the series I’m watching (Gargantia, Hunter x Hunter, Hataraku Maou-sama, Devil Survivor 2, and this series) I was expecting Shingeki no Kyojin and Hunter x Hunter to be the best this week. This episode was just ok and Hunter x Hunter was a mostly filler episode. The stand outs were Gargantia and Devil Survivor 2 (this week was better for this otherwise mediocre series)

2. Joe says:

The anime didn’t really go into more detail about the training arc; it’s just that this material was all covered in flashbacks later on in the manga.

3. Airies says:

This episode tried to be funny but it ended up so bad that I cringed like 4 times. Did the creators actually think that these jokes were funny!? They were awful! Why was it necessary to show that guy who liked the sister’s hair, wipe his hand on some guys back? why did they have to show the potato chick try and take the bread from the sister (misaka?) in such a weird way, like what? the potato girl was a horrible comic relief character here. In short, DONT DO JOKES IN THIS ANIME, because its really out of place and looks stupid. the rest of the episode was alright, fairly boring if you ask me. Not too impressed with this series yet but potential is there.

• gedata says:

Potato-girl is the best character. I disagree with you, Airies.

• Airies says:

How is she the best character? Why do you disagree, did you find the humour funny?

• Scruffy says:

This show needs some light relief, although I agree the humour was a bit flat. Potato girl was still cool though, just because it was funny seeing the expression on the s argent major’s face as she offered him half (not that it was the small half) of the potato. I find Erin angst particularly annoying so some humour is good.

• gedata says:

Calling her the character is a bit of hyperbole on my part (although, none of the characters has impressed me that much) I liked her moment with that drill sergeant, a nice way to diffuse the tense atmosphere built since the series began.

• Vonter says:

I also agree the show needs some light. But, also this comic relief was clumsy, especially on how she looked Eren’s sister when she didn’t shared her bread.

I don’t think characters in the series should be all cheerful and goofy. However I also don’t want them to be this lifeless. That’s the reason I didn’t watch Claymore.

• Gain says:

Why the jokes there? Because they’re also there in the manga and many fans except people like you, love them. Jean wiped his hand on Connie’s back because he shook Eren’s hand before and disgusted to find out that the girl he likes are actually close with Eren. Call it stupid jealousy if you want but this will be an important beginning of Jean’s one-sided rivalry with Eren.

These jokes are necessary to create an impact for the new characters so we remember them whether it’s in a good or bad way. The only reason why you hate them is because you expected this story to be all-serious and gory. “Expectation is the root of all heartache”.

Trust me bro, after all this, you will miss this peaceful days as it will only turn nasty later on. Now just sit back and watch, don’t expect too much or you’ll only get disappointed.

• Airies says:

First of all my expectations were really high or low. I just checked it out and it was interesting + some added hype but I’ll say I didnt really give into much of it or at all actually. Second, jokes are usually meant to be funny and these were horrible in my opinion. I did not see the connection to the handshake and wiping on the back but thank you for pointing that out but I still dont see it to be necessary. Its true I wasnt expecting comment and if it should occur it should’ve been a pleasant surprise which it was not. So I dont hate the fact that they tried to insert jokes, I just dont understand how they were funny and why they were needed. I didnt think the handshake/wiping hand part though is important for jean’s jealousy as you could already see it after he looked at misaka then at eren. Also I think the potato girl in that particular seen with eren’s sister made her look too much of a comic relief character as they just recycled the joke for the 3rd time there. I doubt I’ll miss its peaceful days as they are just boring and feel like they are dragging on.

• Lily says:

@Airies

Just for your information.. but Misaka is not Eren’s sister. I also disagree with your taste because I find this episode really faithful to the manga which is good. I am hoping this series won’t be another claymore though. Claymore was faithful to the manga at the beginning but the mid-end was an original anime ending. Even though I disagree with your opinion and taste. I will not try or even want to dissuade you

• gedata says:

Tthis episode wasn’t really all that faithful to the manga, I providedan example of it doing it’s own thing below. That and the training was a bit padded. Unfortunately, there’s a decent likelihood that this will end up like poor Claymore and Soul Eater.

• Airies says:

I couldnt remember if they were related so thankyou for clearing that up. I havent read the manga so im not saying its faithful or not. I’m just talking about my feelings at the attempts of humor they made that irritated me. :)

• hikari says:

@gedata : Do you read all vol/chapters of the manga till the newest one? since this eps is exactly in the manga, precisely ch15-16 if I’m not mistaken which is a flashback. The anime decide to do it in chronological order by rearrange the chapter, so around ep 5 we’re back to ch3-4(where the big stuff that Psgels mention happened, where the event will go full speed till the end without being interrupted by the flashback.

• Gain says:

Well, it’s called dark humor. You don’t find them funny cause it’s not your taste. Everyone has their own taste of humor I guess.

All build ups are boring and dragging but necessary once the climax is revealed. You will then shout “Oh now I know why he/she did that!” or “I get it why that happened!”. There are a lot of foreshadowing in this series. Every character has a reason why they act that way, just be patient.

• Hogart says:

That might not be true. I adore dark humor, for instance, but the humor here wasn’t particularly funny to me (mostly because of delivery, I think).

• Airies says:

I laughed when you referred to it as “dark humor”, mate I’m sorry but that is not what it was….

• Gain says:

It was to me. Jean’s tragic love story that only last for few minutes just because Mikasa obeying Eren’s hair-comment despite his praise is amusing to me. There are many more of their suffering in the manga that are funny to me which is why I called them dark humor.

• Billsworthy / no says:

that’s not dark humour. l o l

• Hogart says:

The humor didn’t work for me either. Felt like it came out of nowhere, frankly. There’s levity and then there’s Yaketty Sax.

• Deadlights says:

Agreed, this episode definitely was disappointing. The comic relief was executed poorly

4. gedata says:

I read the first volume of the manga a couple monthes ago, I remember that Eren had a full-blown fight with that dude who mad fun of him. Here the situation was handled rather tamely. I wonder why?

• Lacie says:

This is not part of volume 1. This came from chapters before chapter 20. This is supposed to be a flashback in the manga. Hence, what you are talking about happened after this.

5. Hogart says:

This ep was downright confusing right up until the end. Eren was the only one that couldn’t work the gear, which made it seem trivial to use and made Eren look downright pathetic.

And yet, despite him obviously being more of a liability than anything, everyone was rooting for him by the end. Without really demonstrating why they would care.. because they pity him enough to send him off to kill himself and others on the battlefield?

I guess the ending put things into perspective, but it felt like a cop-out due to how they presented the rest of the episode. Maybe it’s just me.

• boa_sting says:

I agree that it wasn’t all laid out that well, especially with the crowd cheering for him.

But they do show some others having at least some difficulty, and there were those who were carted off (but not necessarily for incompetence). It also seemed like Eren was making a name for himself by rubbing off on others and also telling his stories of the invasion, so we could infer that he wasn’t really a nobody that others wouldn’t care about.

• Hogart says:

I agree, that’s why I’m not entirely down on the episode: I could see what they were going for. That doesn’t really make me feel any happier about the execution, though. Still, as far as training episodes go, this was hardly the worst I’ve ever seen, and the music and animation were certainly nice.

• DmonHiro says:

You should pay attention. Eren was working with faulty gear the whole time. The fact that he WAS able to stand upright for a few second with faulty gear is amazing.

• JaK says:

as pointed out i think by the instructor as well later

• Hogart says:

Um, thanks? I did watch the end of the episode, so that much is obvious. My gripe is that the “clue” they provided wasn’t much of a clue at all. The end result was that the resolution came out of nowhere at the end of the episode.

6. gan says:

For people wondering whether this episode was faithful to the manga, yes it was! The anime staff decided to adapt chapters from volume 4 and go with the flow of flashbacks before coming to the present.

And if you don’t like the side characters at this point, then most probably you would be bored with their stories which which come later on…but the author is really clever, he never introduces a character just for the sake of it..every one of the characters you saw in this episode has an important role to play later on (Sasha,Connie, Bertholt, Reiner, Christha,Ymir) and are tied up with the main story.

• animefan352 says:

To be fair they haven’t really shown the side characters at their finest yet. (in the anime) The best is yet to come. :)

7. Nebula says:

In anime, introducing the characters first chronologically is much better than the manga version…In the manga, it’s pretty hard to memorize all those characters for the first 2 volumes…and the training arc flashback (ch 15-17) was kind of random halfway through.

• moo? says:

welp I assume the reason being as a brand new manga being publicized the mangaka needed to make it interesting and attract fans. If he did it chronologically then people may have lost interest, cause manga don’t get as much attention as anime does…. or something…

8. Shirencel says:

Potato Girl Banzai

9. mike says:

oh yeah training episode jeez

10. VyseLegendaire says:

It wasn’t that bad guys. You can’t just jump straight into killing monsters and spider-swinging through the forest right after a horrible tragedy or two. Come on lighten up the episode still portends future action, at least I was pumped at the end scene.

11. animefan352 says:

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought I would. It does a lot for Eren’s character and was just inspiring.

12. kero says:

I thought the episode didn’t really flow that well.

I did laugh at one or two of the jokes, but everything just seems a bit stilted and clumsy,

I’m not really that keen on the anime style.

it’s not super bad, but the interactions just seem to lack something.. I wonder if it’s the voice acting…

But to be fair anime comedy isn't that great so I guess it's kind of make sense
One observation from that list thou, there isn't any Asian movie that make the list. Guess us Asian have shitty brand of humor huh???
@Kaiser: oh please chaeck His Girl Friday out. Beside it's probably one of my favorite film ever, Tarantino and the Coens in particular own their bullet-train dialogue and slaptick comedy, respectively to this gem. it's a flat out classic for me
I love The Coens' brand of humor so I have no problem with Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona. The latter movie I hold dear in my heart. Also, Holly Hunter is freaking hilarious on that
@Kaiser: I'm glad they included Daisies too but I consider that movie a random "girls just want to have fun" hijink than a comedy one
@Kaiser: I watched a fair amount of Buster Keaton's films and I prefer him much better than Chatlie Chaplin. He had his deadpan expression and he did all his own stunts, which were really impressive when you watch his movies
Somehow I achieved watching the producers remake. Also the great race and Good morning Vietnam are not on that list but that silly Eddie Murphy flick is? Wha...
@Mario: I'm going to go as far as to say Allen is good enough to by deemed a contemporary Harold Lyod.
I need to catch up on old Kaiju films before I watch that new godzilla.
@Mario: Next on the list is Neruda, wild tales, throw away your books , after hours, new blade runner and logan lucky.
I remember watching team America in college with a full house. And nobody laughed. Even the best comedy just goes dead with the wrong audence.
The guys who did south park and team American, beyond the crudity/toilet humour did have some skill at satire.
I do need to give Lebowski a second chance, maybe I wasn't in the mood, I recall it taking a few tries with Dr Strangelove but it ended up being one of my favourites.
Never seen Philadelphia story or his girl Friday. I'm worried about revisiting naked gun and Airplane.
Again Monty Pyton works for me because its so surreal.
Normally this is where I'd be able to go more in depth but I can only answer that what clicked with me clicked and what doesn't doesn't, because as Mario said, comedy is so subjective.
Nic Cage ruined raising Arizona for me.
Ugh...ugh I cannot stand to sit through Office space, some like it hot, big Lebowski and particularly groundhog day. Amarcord is too low.
Sacha Baron Cohen is actually pretty clever guy but he feels so wasted on such obnoxious characters like Ali G and Borat.
I see King of comedy included, coincidentially I'm planning on watching After hours soon.
Criminally I have never seen a buster keaton film, yet I loved Lyods stuff. Going by Duck soup I should see more Marx brothers. Chaplain speech in Great dictator is still very striking today.
I doubt Hangover or zoolander would hold up on a rewatch. I saw those at a very different time.
Surprised they know who Vera Cytylova is.
Divorce Italian style is hilarious.
I'm glad to see Allen, Tati , wright and Bunuel making that list. Although while funny I do feel Toni Erdmann is more of a drama. Also happy to see Whitnail and Harold and Maud included.
@Mario, to be fair the Americans come off looking worse than Borat's portrayal of Kazakhstan.
I do admit that it's more or less toilet humor. It has lasting appeal due to the movie being very quotable.
Borat at #41 huh? Haizz. It's the ONE film that I feel deeply deeply offensive but I guess I'm in the minority on that.
I know comedy and humor is subjective, but overall I'm happy with this list. Toni Erdmann, a movie just released last year already gained some recognition and ended up at #59. I enjoyed Some Like It Hot but I never understand why it is always regarded as the Best of the Best Comedies. I guess cross-dressing and Marylin Monroe are funny? ^^
Unrelated to anime, but the BBC just released their top 100 Comedy Movies of all time, here' a link for those who interested http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170821-the-100-greatest-comedies-of-all-time
Well, surprise Muv Luv Alternative release. I am going to have to get to those games and review them now. Though first SubaHibi.
On Zipang, while you are right, compared to other similar shows (Kopenki no Kantai I look at you with hate), it is tame.

Gunka did get a new chapter and I ma happy, but I wish there was more.
Zipang was good for the first ten chapters but after a while it becomes obvious that its lame Japanese wish fulfilment. And uncomfortably nationalistic.
@Travlos: And black lagoon and gunka no balthsar .
yes! Zipang and Birdy the Mighty II manga updated!
あいうえお
Kaiji is amazing. I did not expect it to portray its outrageous bets so well
Ultimate Survivor
very happy with two last episodes of RE:Creators, though I am not happy with the Yuya cope-out. Virgin Soul remains sweet.
I made it to DC! Reflection and Ranbu comin up soon!
@K-off: Where you particularly far into that manga? Also what was its title? Also I've noticed that rape/quasi-rape =woman becoming attracted has been around in Japanese film even in the 60s.
Well fuck, getting NTR'd out of nowhere in a romance manga sure does feel like an insult, much less a tremendous waste of time. I really should look into whether or not a manga has ntr before I start reading it.
Ah, dominion tank police and AD police, reminding me of my genuinely love of the anime medium.
@Mario, So that was you. I was thinking maybe it was bot of some sort. Accepted the request so you can try sending me something again.
@Aidan: Btw, did you receive my Skype message? I was kicked out from the old Skype account so I had to make a new one and I sent you some texts but not sure if you've recieved it
Well, we're half way of the season already so I might stick with Youkoso. But it's telling that even after watching its episode I don't bother to write up about it... I will give Gamers a full review thou when it ends.
@Aidan: which is great (that they have forgotten about the gaming aspect. Normally, I disapprove of miscommunication in romance/drama but they play it for laugh x 5 times it's rather outrageous, in a good way.
You could drop Youkoso for Gamers you know. I could tell you are not very much into it and I admitly feel like I overestimated it. It at least tries to be above usual light novel fare but is still kinda meh.
@Mario, for some odd reason I kept watching Gamers and it really has forgotten about the whole gaming aspect. It's literally all about the messed up love pentagram now. These people have worse communication disorders than Komi does.
hmmm, anime convention will happen around my place tomorrow. When I say "around my place" it's 3 hours away so I'm not sure if I will come down there. Don't feel really excited to go to be honest.
OMG, Gamers escalates to the whole new labyrinth of misunderstandings... and I'm digging it. I should've blogged this one instead. Amen
@Lenlo, Nioh is something I am going to get to playing soon. Though first I will be getting through Horizon.
Nioh was phenomenal. Was different from Dark Souls in all the right ways.
Your right, there have been so many great games: Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, as well as the upcoming Mario are all instant classics, and besides that there have been a bunch of other solid fun games like Sonic, Splatoon, Pyre etc.
@Mario: Really just sit down and watch it kind of film.
@Mario: I just got back from Ancien and magic tablet/napping princess/hirune hime/whatever its title. In brief, the fantasy scenes are the highlight and its cute, charming family adventure anime film with alot of heart/endearment, runs on kind of too long and could have had more of a story though.
It says something in a year of great videogames when I can really recommend a Sonic game. Sonic Mania is a good platformer, with great control, charming visuals, great music and level design that feels more readable than the last games I've played in this series.
@Mario, Pres and delinquent girl is my favourite but I still hope the Kuudere couple shows up. This week was hilarious with the little sister trying to get back at her brother's girlfriend only for the girlfriend to know it was her immediately and start screwing around.
Mine is Takurou - Chizuru (the red hair boy and orange hair girl in this week's last segment. Maybe because I have a penchant for weird girl :/
Tsurezure Children... makes my heart melted again. Those who still watch it, who are your favorite couples?
@Kaiser: and I will give you a review on... new spiderman movie or whatever. My friend drags me to watch it with her tonight, and I haven't watched any spiderman installment since the one in 2007. Well, whatever...
@Mario: I will review Hirune-hime tomorrow night hopefully. Also I have seen all his ghost in the shell work, Moribito and Eden of the east but never Cyborg 009 .
This was a long time ago however.
I can remember my dads car got its window smashed then stolen, twice =<
@Kaiser Insurance by itself won't hold you back at all, but getting a new car certainly will. The down payment alone will set you back a couple grand and you likely won't pay off the car for about 2-4 years.
@Aidan Jeez, my condolences. @Kaiser Auto insurance covers most accidents and the rates won't go up so long as it's not your fault and you have evidence to prove it (like a dashcam).
Financially will it particularly hold you back on things like rent, etcetera?
But in all seriousness, that is one of the big reasons I haven't learned to drive, fear of that kind of thing happening, actually I think that might put me off driving if it happened to me.
The car incident is an obvious assassination attempt and conspiracy . Easily avoidable by investing in transport by Dragon .
@K-Off, Lightly hit the side of a Van coming out of T junction. Left light smashed,front bumper and bonnet damaged. Gotta pay for that and the vans side door.
@Aidan Ouch. What happened to it?
Yep. Crimson red. Maybe I was tempting fate.
@Aidan: you should blame your car because it's new and shiny it's more accident prone than others. Did you mention your car is red??
Man isn't it great having a new car. It's also great when you crash your new car and now have to pay hefty repair fees. Fantastic. No injuries or anything but it's going to be a pain to repair.
Princess Principal write-up will have to wait this time tomorrow guys. Sorry for those who wait but nothing can stand a chance against my madness for Monogatari now
I still have a bunch of old anime vhs tapes in my attic yes, would take forever to list though.
movies4life
What to say about "one punch man" ?
movies4life
You have still VHS tapes as well in your anime collection ? (me 40)
Hard to believe I've been at this anime/manga thing since I was 11 and am now in my 30s.
@Boukensha: for this site specifically most of us are like you. On and off with anime; burnt out, move on with life and back again... this why I believe the readers who read this site are slightly older than your average anime audience there.
OldManBoukensha
I think I'll call myself OldManBoukensha. Hope the name sticks (this is the anonyperson)
OldManBoukensha
Thanks for the recommendations @SuperMario and @Kaiser-Eoghan san! Sometimes feels surreal how time has flown, started watching anime and discovered psgels in uni... fast forward 12 years and I hit 30 this year. lots of great memories, eagerly waiting for blog posts for favourite animes like mushishi, seirei no moribito, FMA. ah good times. Thank you for taking the baton and keeping it lively :)
... and it's never too late to set up your permanent username now :)
@Anon1329673: if you had to pick up 1 show this season, then yes Made in Abyss. I'd also recommend Princess Principal as well. For slice of life office, Shirobako? There's a show running this season from the creators of Shirobako, not neccessary set in an office place but they are about adult working as well; the name is Sakura Quest
@Anon: Hataraki man perhaps?
whenever I visit here I wish I had picked a permanent username. been reading psgels since 2005 :)
and do you know of any slice of life office life anime to recommend? I loved fune wo amu from last season. melancholic yet intimate, bittersweet anime
Hey guys, what's the best show running this season? Seems to me Made in Abyss ? If I had to pick up one show, which one would you recommend?
@Mario That's the most common method of getting compromised nowadays, even a lot of youtubers got their channels hacked because of vulnerabilities with the phone carriers.
So naturally, Reflection and Ranbu will be delayed tomorrow because of a move. Last for abit. I promise. Hectic time :P
alright, 18if down. Now's the time that I've been looking for this season. Go watch Owari nowwww
Yep, the author laid out how he wanted it to end before he died. Can't say how the new guy did as the English translation of the novels has not caught up that far.
@Aidan: These were presumably written from notes left behind by the author? Is there a disconnect in quality between the non-original author novels and the ones he wrote?
Also the Familiar of Zero novels are better than the anime. Now, not shakespeare but the anime did not really adapt them well. The novels took the plot a little more seriously while the anime went full slapstick with it.
@Kaiser, I was talking about the novels, not the anime. Someone jumped in to write the last two novels.
Of course things have changed, its been so many years since I saw the initial seasons, I couldn't tell if I'd still care.
Didn't really work in familiar of zeros case though , third and fourth seasons were a decline.
A famous example was Itazura na kiss, author died from having stuff collapse on her , anime finished the story.
@Anon, Likely not now that the author is dead. There are some occasions where people jump in to complete the work like Familer of Zero but in most cases it is just left unfinished.
@Movies, Watched about ten episodes and then just never got back to it. I thought it was alright.
@Amagi, Indeed. Hopefully they won't be around that much.
Apocrypha is pretty good when the MCs aren't around
@Movies: Yes, stopped after he got the powerup and then the manga went on a long hiatus, I liked the art though, the anime was tedious though, filler-y and censored.
movies4life
You guys remember d.Gray-man ?
...I think one of the two working on highschool of the deads manga died/
@anon1327403: funny that you mentioned Highschool of the Dead because I'm planning to watch that one real soon. But to answer your question, as far as I am aware of, no, there isn't any announcement regarding the new adaptation.
Does anyone know if High School of the Dead will ever be picked up by another person
I'm still watching stuff though, just finished the Cobra ovas last night, fun camp in the flash gordon/Barbarella vein, though it misses the soundtrack from the old 80s version.
I love a good Bond type spy thingnow and then but I'd LOVE to see a more serious anime take on the genre.
If kakegurui is enjoyable in the same way a trash-exploitation film is I could see myself watching .
Count me in for those who weren't happy with the progress of abyss' manga.
Then again my gaming days are long long in the past for the most part. The humour in gamers would just turn me off now, I've lost interested in most anime comedy.
I was aware of ANN being down, for the most part I really only skimmed their articles. I wish sega would just put Sonic down, its been on decline for so long.
@KTravlos: have fun with whatever you doing in the next 10 days mates. And if you have time, sample Princess Principal as well
I will be off the net the next 10 days, so sorry if I do not answer any replies etc. Have a good time all! See you later.
took the hiatus of my shows as a chance to sample the current season. Saw first episodes of Kakeguiri, Abyss, and Altair. Kakeguiri and Abyss really did have great first episodes, that grab you. Altair was a bit too old-fashioned, but I will probably continue watching it. Kakeguiri had excellent OP and ED, while Abyss had in general great music. And yeah, you guys were not kidding about beauty
And I still enjoy Gamers thoroughly. Not sure if it can keep up with the misunderstanding mess about relationships from the main cast but so far the show is hilarious
so now I know about why ANN did not work. @Holystockings yes, again I should detest it for many things it has, but they pulled it off and I like it.
Holystockings
I'll be honest here. I would have never guessed that Kakegurui would have been this good.
@AidanAK47 This year there have been a lot of good games. Too many to play seriously. I do wonder how deliberations would be since more than scores or genres I don't feel a all out winner, more than different games excelling at different things.
So finally finished Kado, and I have to say I am not a fan of the shark jump.
Really? Had no idea about the news network site
Also too many games coming this month. SubaHibi, Sonic Mania and Ys Seven. Not to mention cold steel now out. I still need to get blood orange complete and in comes a small, medium and two extra large time sinks.
And in other news Voltorn season three is out but only seven episodes long. With another fourth season coming in October which is 6 episodes long. I wonder why Netflix are spilting up seasons like this?
So, not sure if anyone has heard this or not but the Anime News Network site has been hacked. Hence why you can no longer access it.
@Mario: blancanieves was modern silent take on snow white, a different spin on the story.
@Mario: Fun fact, Mitchum appears in a cameo in the cape fear remake.
ha, I wouldn't mind seeing a gag in a comedy manga series where they did a silent throwback episode.
The expressionist visuals of some of those silent films appeal to me.
My only issue with maddin is that he is hard to marathon, that style as unique and funny as it is only works in small doses.
La Antenna was another good example of modern silent filmaking. Annnnd, this one is SUPER obscure/rare: http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.ie/2013/11/yumemiru-yoni-nemuritai-kaizo-hayashi.html
It's like this: The Artist gets the "look" of silent film, but Guy Maddin's works get the "feel" of it
I can remember Mitchum was in an underated remake of the big sleep...
...though you could really tell even just from listening to him speak he was a pothead.
@Kaiser: I agree with you that Guy Maddin's works are more of a representative of neo-silent than the Artist (the Artist is just so... wide-appealing for my taste. It tries to please everyone). I always feel that Maddin is born in a wrong era. Had he born in the silent era he'd definately be a legend.
@Kaiser: I don't blame the audience from the 50s who didn't get the film. I didn't quite get it the first time either but the film just keep growing on me. I remembet Robert Mitchum in his noir detective role as well, most notably his role in Out of the Past. The lead girl in that movie has a very typical femme fatale look as well, which mean she's gorgeous
@Mario: I've been looking into Guy Maddin's work, its occasionally funny in an absurdist way and alot of the appeal comes from how strange his films are, while I think that film the artist was a good take on silent films, Maddins tributes to silent film are far more successful.
@Mario: People weren't ready for night of the hunter in the 50s, one of those baffling situations that it flopped when originally released, frustratingly that director never got to work again. For me I think that was one of Robert Mitchum's best roles, along with his one in Cape fear.
Ahhh, clumsy finger. Whatever...
*Diary kf the Country Priest of course
Should get into Diry of the Countey Priest soon, but consider it's Bresson's movie I have no doubt it'll be hard to swallow. Also the priest in The Night of the Hunter
@Mario: =) All priest films quiver before the might of Diary of the country priest, Nazerin and Winter light.
@Kaiser: in the same vein with Spotlight, right? 2016 wasn't a good year for priest in movies it seems
Oh, that guy also directed El Club, I liked that one, seriously grim story about exiled priests.
@movies4life: Gin no Guardian is a bif meh for me.
I watched No at the time of its release. Good watch although I don't remember much of it now. Not only they have the same actors as Neruda, those films are directed from the same director. This fude also directed Jackie last year that star Nayalie Portman as the First Lady
@Movies: The other Chinese anime attempts aren't any better I hear.
movies4life
Watch in a day the whole season of Gin no Guardian. Is have so much potential in story and animation but somehow something missing. maybe is just for growing up Kids
@Anon, Like SAO season 2 then. Myself and a friend tried to watch that for the sole reason of taking the piss out of it. Ended up not finishing it because there wasn't anything to take the piss out of because barely anything happened each episode and it was so boring that we couldn't take it anymore.
I have seen "The Secret in their Eyes". A good film. I do recommend "Neruda", and the film "No" which as some of the same actors.
People thought they were 'ironically' watching a bad movie until they realized the movie's so bad it can't even be enjoyed on an ironic level.

Fate/Apocrypha – 08[The Beginning of the War]

One of the particular things I like about Apocrypha is that out of the Fate franchise, this is the only Holy Grail War that is deserving of the title of War. Other grail wars are certainly flashy but by definition they are more battle royales with every man for himself. This on the other hand […]

Made in Abyss – 07[The Unmovable Sovereign]

Well it’s official, Ozen is now my favorite character of this series. Big revelations today and one of the biggest is that Riko by all accounts should not be alive as the relic which protected her as a baby is revealed to have a different function. It can bring dead things back to life for […]

Kakegurui- 07[Refusing Woman]

Today on Kakegurui, we see the end of the bet and well…that’s it. This post may have the same problem as my Attack on Titan posts in that I just don’t have a lot to say here because not a lot actually happened. Mary refused the student council president’s offer to join the student council […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 8 [Protect History]

This was perhaps the best week yet for Ranbu. There are no flashy fights or new enemies, but there is a lot of characterization and quiet moments. Lets jump in. Ranbu starts this week right after the 1st Units victory of the unnamed Retrograde soldier. Honebami does some fawning over the units strength, before being […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 07 [Tenpei Cup]

I spent the majority of the previous review breaking down a single scene, so let’s play catch-up for a bit. This episode features the Tenpei Cup, an annual event held by some rich dance enthusiast. Despite not being an official competition, the stakes are high: if the fledgling pair of Tatara and Mako can outplace […]

Princess Principal – 07 [Case 16 Loudly Laundry]

This week in Princess Principal … what exactly did I just watch? Suddenly spies do (steampunk) laundry and do business as well? Getting 231% raised in revenue and catch a thief in a process? That’s a bit of a stretch here. And who in the right mind would think it’s a good idea for a […]

Re:Creators – 18 [All of Us Are Incomplete]

One of the major gripes I have with this series is its uneven presentation that has far too much exposition while lacking in the action department. In the eighteenth episode, it finally found its footing in balancing the exploratory themes of creativity, action scenes and comedic bits in a seamless transition as Re:Creators successfully sustain […]

18if – 07 [And now There are none…]

This episode is one of the reason why I am glad that I’m still putting my faith on 18if, an episode that displays a complete different range of visual style, and a satisfying children’s story about friendship as a cherry on top. There’s a lot to love here, from the beautiful aesthetic that heavily influenced […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 05 [The City of the Lighthouse]

After a three-week break, Shoukoku no Altair returned today with an episode reminiscent more of its first three than its last. If you’ve been reading these posts for the last couple months, you’ll know that’s not a good thing, at least from where I’m sitting. We were awash in exposition and timeskips again this time […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100