Posted by psgels on 23 April 2013 with categories: Shingeki no Kyojin

I already know what’s going to happen for the first couple of episodes in this series, but this episode was a bit of an exception, in which the creators went into far more detail during the training arc. I guess that in that way, I still prefer anime over manga. It’s probably something really personal, but in animated form, I can get a better feel of who the characters are, making them easier to relate to. Eren really benefitted from that in particular.

On the other hand, the creators did spent an entire episode training, which is not the most interesting practice to watch. This episode was really interesting for the character building. It made characters stand out without using cliches, and showed a good combination of characters who were just there to live the easy life, to do something exciting, or determined to exterminate the titans. The cast is large, but everyone has his own identity. We’re going to have to wait a bit longer to find out whether the creators nailed the big strength of this series though.

This is the balance between build-up and delivery that you need to strike right. I think that that will be a very big challenge for this series: getting the pacing right to fit the story into 25 episodes. With this episode they chose for a solid base on the characters, at the expense of taking a bit of a step back. Now let’s see whether the animators can make the wait pay off!
Rating: 4.5/8 (Good)

1. gedata says:

This was an interesting week, out of all the series I’m watching (Gargantia, Hunter x Hunter, Hataraku Maou-sama, Devil Survivor 2, and this series) I was expecting Shingeki no Kyojin and Hunter x Hunter to be the best this week. This episode was just ok and Hunter x Hunter was a mostly filler episode. The stand outs were Gargantia and Devil Survivor 2 (this week was better for this otherwise mediocre series)

2. Joe says:

The anime didn’t really go into more detail about the training arc; it’s just that this material was all covered in flashbacks later on in the manga.

3. Airies says:

This episode tried to be funny but it ended up so bad that I cringed like 4 times. Did the creators actually think that these jokes were funny!? They were awful! Why was it necessary to show that guy who liked the sister’s hair, wipe his hand on some guys back? why did they have to show the potato chick try and take the bread from the sister (misaka?) in such a weird way, like what? the potato girl was a horrible comic relief character here. In short, DONT DO JOKES IN THIS ANIME, because its really out of place and looks stupid. the rest of the episode was alright, fairly boring if you ask me. Not too impressed with this series yet but potential is there.

• gedata says:

Potato-girl is the best character. I disagree with you, Airies.

• Airies says:

How is she the best character? Why do you disagree, did you find the humour funny?

• Scruffy says:

This show needs some light relief, although I agree the humour was a bit flat. Potato girl was still cool though, just because it was funny seeing the expression on the s argent major’s face as she offered him half (not that it was the small half) of the potato. I find Erin angst particularly annoying so some humour is good.

• gedata says:

Calling her the character is a bit of hyperbole on my part (although, none of the characters has impressed me that much) I liked her moment with that drill sergeant, a nice way to diffuse the tense atmosphere built since the series began.

• Vonter says:

I also agree the show needs some light. But, also this comic relief was clumsy, especially on how she looked Eren’s sister when she didn’t shared her bread.

I don’t think characters in the series should be all cheerful and goofy. However I also don’t want them to be this lifeless. That’s the reason I didn’t watch Claymore.

• Gain says:

Why the jokes there? Because they’re also there in the manga and many fans except people like you, love them. Jean wiped his hand on Connie’s back because he shook Eren’s hand before and disgusted to find out that the girl he likes are actually close with Eren. Call it stupid jealousy if you want but this will be an important beginning of Jean’s one-sided rivalry with Eren.

These jokes are necessary to create an impact for the new characters so we remember them whether it’s in a good or bad way. The only reason why you hate them is because you expected this story to be all-serious and gory. “Expectation is the root of all heartache”.

Trust me bro, after all this, you will miss this peaceful days as it will only turn nasty later on. Now just sit back and watch, don’t expect too much or you’ll only get disappointed.

• Airies says:

First of all my expectations were really high or low. I just checked it out and it was interesting + some added hype but I’ll say I didnt really give into much of it or at all actually. Second, jokes are usually meant to be funny and these were horrible in my opinion. I did not see the connection to the handshake and wiping on the back but thank you for pointing that out but I still dont see it to be necessary. Its true I wasnt expecting comment and if it should occur it should’ve been a pleasant surprise which it was not. So I dont hate the fact that they tried to insert jokes, I just dont understand how they were funny and why they were needed. I didnt think the handshake/wiping hand part though is important for jean’s jealousy as you could already see it after he looked at misaka then at eren. Also I think the potato girl in that particular seen with eren’s sister made her look too much of a comic relief character as they just recycled the joke for the 3rd time there. I doubt I’ll miss its peaceful days as they are just boring and feel like they are dragging on.

• Lily says:

@Airies

Just for your information.. but Misaka is not Eren’s sister. I also disagree with your taste because I find this episode really faithful to the manga which is good. I am hoping this series won’t be another claymore though. Claymore was faithful to the manga at the beginning but the mid-end was an original anime ending. Even though I disagree with your opinion and taste. I will not try or even want to dissuade you

• gedata says:

Tthis episode wasn’t really all that faithful to the manga, I providedan example of it doing it’s own thing below. That and the training was a bit padded. Unfortunately, there’s a decent likelihood that this will end up like poor Claymore and Soul Eater.

• Airies says:

I couldnt remember if they were related so thankyou for clearing that up. I havent read the manga so im not saying its faithful or not. I’m just talking about my feelings at the attempts of humor they made that irritated me. :)

• hikari says:

@gedata : Do you read all vol/chapters of the manga till the newest one? since this eps is exactly in the manga, precisely ch15-16 if I’m not mistaken which is a flashback. The anime decide to do it in chronological order by rearrange the chapter, so around ep 5 we’re back to ch3-4(where the big stuff that Psgels mention happened, where the event will go full speed till the end without being interrupted by the flashback.

• Gain says:

Well, it’s called dark humor. You don’t find them funny cause it’s not your taste. Everyone has their own taste of humor I guess.

All build ups are boring and dragging but necessary once the climax is revealed. You will then shout “Oh now I know why he/she did that!” or “I get it why that happened!”. There are a lot of foreshadowing in this series. Every character has a reason why they act that way, just be patient.

• Hogart says:

That might not be true. I adore dark humor, for instance, but the humor here wasn’t particularly funny to me (mostly because of delivery, I think).

• Airies says:

I laughed when you referred to it as “dark humor”, mate I’m sorry but that is not what it was….

• Gain says:

It was to me. Jean’s tragic love story that only last for few minutes just because Mikasa obeying Eren’s hair-comment despite his praise is amusing to me. There are many more of their suffering in the manga that are funny to me which is why I called them dark humor.

• Billsworthy / no says:

that’s not dark humour. l o l

• Hogart says:

The humor didn’t work for me either. Felt like it came out of nowhere, frankly. There’s levity and then there’s Yaketty Sax.

• Deadlights says:

Agreed, this episode definitely was disappointing. The comic relief was executed poorly

4. gedata says:

I read the first volume of the manga a couple monthes ago, I remember that Eren had a full-blown fight with that dude who mad fun of him. Here the situation was handled rather tamely. I wonder why?

• Lacie says:

This is not part of volume 1. This came from chapters before chapter 20. This is supposed to be a flashback in the manga. Hence, what you are talking about happened after this.

5. Hogart says:

This ep was downright confusing right up until the end. Eren was the only one that couldn’t work the gear, which made it seem trivial to use and made Eren look downright pathetic.

And yet, despite him obviously being more of a liability than anything, everyone was rooting for him by the end. Without really demonstrating why they would care.. because they pity him enough to send him off to kill himself and others on the battlefield?

I guess the ending put things into perspective, but it felt like a cop-out due to how they presented the rest of the episode. Maybe it’s just me.

• boa_sting says:

I agree that it wasn’t all laid out that well, especially with the crowd cheering for him.

But they do show some others having at least some difficulty, and there were those who were carted off (but not necessarily for incompetence). It also seemed like Eren was making a name for himself by rubbing off on others and also telling his stories of the invasion, so we could infer that he wasn’t really a nobody that others wouldn’t care about.

• Hogart says:

I agree, that’s why I’m not entirely down on the episode: I could see what they were going for. That doesn’t really make me feel any happier about the execution, though. Still, as far as training episodes go, this was hardly the worst I’ve ever seen, and the music and animation were certainly nice.

• DmonHiro says:

You should pay attention. Eren was working with faulty gear the whole time. The fact that he WAS able to stand upright for a few second with faulty gear is amazing.

• JaK says:

as pointed out i think by the instructor as well later

• Hogart says:

Um, thanks? I did watch the end of the episode, so that much is obvious. My gripe is that the “clue” they provided wasn’t much of a clue at all. The end result was that the resolution came out of nowhere at the end of the episode.

6. gan says:

For people wondering whether this episode was faithful to the manga, yes it was! The anime staff decided to adapt chapters from volume 4 and go with the flow of flashbacks before coming to the present.

And if you don’t like the side characters at this point, then most probably you would be bored with their stories which which come later on…but the author is really clever, he never introduces a character just for the sake of it..every one of the characters you saw in this episode has an important role to play later on (Sasha,Connie, Bertholt, Reiner, Christha,Ymir) and are tied up with the main story.

• animefan352 says:

To be fair they haven’t really shown the side characters at their finest yet. (in the anime) The best is yet to come. :)

7. Nebula says:

In anime, introducing the characters first chronologically is much better than the manga version…In the manga, it’s pretty hard to memorize all those characters for the first 2 volumes…and the training arc flashback (ch 15-17) was kind of random halfway through.

• moo? says:

welp I assume the reason being as a brand new manga being publicized the mangaka needed to make it interesting and attract fans. If he did it chronologically then people may have lost interest, cause manga don’t get as much attention as anime does…. or something…

8. Shirencel says:

Potato Girl Banzai

9. mike says:

oh yeah training episode jeez

10. VyseLegendaire says:

It wasn’t that bad guys. You can’t just jump straight into killing monsters and spider-swinging through the forest right after a horrible tragedy or two. Come on lighten up the episode still portends future action, at least I was pumped at the end scene.

11. animefan352 says:

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought I would. It does a lot for Eren’s character and was just inspiring.

12. kero says:

I thought the episode didn’t really flow that well.

I did laugh at one or two of the jokes, but everything just seems a bit stilted and clumsy,

I’m not really that keen on the anime style.

it’s not super bad, but the interactions just seem to lack something.. I wonder if it’s the voice acting…

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • mamamoo
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:35 AM)
    Anyways I’m sure an emotionally manipulating soundtrack will make the anime a bit better :)
  • mamamoo
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:34 AM)
    @Aidan, it got to the point where I had to take 15 minute breaks because it was so physically cringing lmao. I started sending screenshots of pages to my friend because we were cackling at how embarrassing it was. Like I shouldn’t be laughing at such serious topics but the execution is just terrible.
  • mamamoo
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:32 AM)
    eh I thing my post just died when I hit send. Must’ve hit the character limit
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:31 AM)
    But yeah, if you want coherence you’re not getting it in Eva. As I’ve said, the project literally took a turn about halfway thru, so it is as disjointed as it can get. It was really amusing to me when it was still airing, everybody was confused as hell.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:17 AM)
    But the visual that supposed to represent the mental landscape of characters were precise and deliberate. And the framing, oh boy, that’s what nailed it. Dutch shots, low angle shots, ceiling shots, the uncomfortable tilts, the silent deep focus close-ups, the muted color pallets with accented reds, Anno is not considered a master for no reason.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:10 AM)
    @K-off: I can see the problems you have with the story. I personally pretty much got everything when I watched it the 2nd time thru, but some stuff are a bit burried. Most of the religious symbolism is there for the hell of it, the Eva Project people straight said it.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:07 AM)
    And you’ve never seen me fly of the handle, I was halfway asleep when I was typing that last night.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:06 AM)
    @Aidan: I never said the problems it has gets erased by its early release or cultural significance, so that’s a strawman right off the bat. I’m saying it is part of what makes it great, and that is undeniable. I gave my two cents on Fate to demonstrate that I can be fair to other anime, and I don’t really have a bias when judging things. Liking something is not a bias. Although we all probably have some degree of bias or another.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 12:08 AM)
    @Mamamoo, oh no. How bad are we talking?
  • mamamoo
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 11:19 PM)
    ehhh and I retract everything I said about Orange now that I finished the whole thing.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 12c

Bungou Stray Dogs – 12 (end)

And we get to the end of Bungou Stray Dogs, but this last episode doesn’t offer any conclusive ending, instead feel more like a set up episode for the next season. This last episode functions like a typically Bungou Stray Dogs’ episode; there are many good things to say about it, mainly the technical triumphs […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

When experiencing the wave of new anime each season it can get rather tiresome to notice all the teenagers fighting supernatural forces while gathering a harem through seer luck or similarly tired concepts. So when something like Joker game comes along and takes a road less traveled with it’s story, naturally I am well on […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 10

After the Horobi’s laser light show and having Biba-sama completely dominate the narrative with his super cool looking henchmen, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is back on track although it’s on different rails for here on out. Imprisoned by the Hunters and being caught in the middle of the impending final conflict between the Shogun and Biba, […]

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

Mayoiga has to be one of the most misunderstood shows in recent years. On a surface, the premise alone has a lot of potential. The idea behind putting 30 people, each of them has very different set of personalities, together in a bus to a mysterious lost village, in order to start over new life […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game – 12

Upon finishing yet another rather uneventful episode of Joker Game, I began to wonder just what this series had planned for its finale. “How best to top off a rather mediocre series such as this?” I thought to myself. However when looking over general consensus over the episode I found out that I seen the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 12 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 12

This looks to be the weakest episode of Re:Zero to date which does seem to be a trend when it comes to the arcs of the series. When looking over these twelve episodes I have come to find that the weakest episodes of the series are the first episode of an arc which does make […]

Mayoiga 12d

Mayoiga – 12 (end)

Mayoiga pretty much wraps up its story this week and for the series that focus much about anti-climaxes and inconsistency, this ending neatly conclude all of its main loose end. In the final twist of Mayoiga, it turns out that Koharun is God’s daughter (now I understand the inclusion of him in Mayoiga) and all […]

Kiznaiver - 11 3

Kiznaiver – 11

I believe I finally figured out something much like Agata of this episode did. Over the course of watching Kiznaiver something in the back of my mind bugged me about it. It was something I couldn’t quite put my finger on but after watching this episode I believe it’s finally hit me. I now know […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 11d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 11

Bungou Stray Dogs strays to another side stories this week, it’s pretty much set up for the second cour, and in that aspect this week is a success one, both gives us a new light to existing characters and makes quite a bit of impression on our new characters. I kind of appreciate how the […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

akTwkhF

Stella Glow Game Review-60/100

I really should be getting Grand Kingdom or waiting for Mirage Sessions. My review of Stella Glow is way past relevancy being nearly 8 months late, but I finally completed this and it wouldn’t hurt to briefly wrap up my thoughts about the game created by the now-defunct Imageepoch. I somehow managed to get through Lord of […]

rs33

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Game Review – 87/100

Oh my. This game was just utterly, utterly incredible when it came out, so despite disliking the usual remasters (ahem, Valkyria Chronicles), I was pretty stoked when I learned I’d be able to play this again on better hardware. It came out really late into the PS2’s lifetime in 2007, so at the time, I […]

romance of 3 kingdoms

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 4: Chinese Traditional Animated shows

Welcome to the last part of our Chinese animated guide. This part will cover Chinese traditional art style, for me personally this is the most enjoyable group. The first thing you might notice in these shows are they were in different format ratio, lean more towards the Academy ratio format. I always find their traditional art […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]