Posted by psgels on 2 May 2013 with categories: Monthly Summaries

This season may have some really good series, but really: it’s a bit disheartening to note that this has been the worst spring season I’ve ever blogged. What happened to the variety of different unique series? What happened to the large amounts of series that all want to try something different? I’m seeing way too many series that just end up looking the same, that don’t bother to stand out, and that bother having some interesting characters. The few that do though, are quite interesting to watch.

#28 (new) – Sparrow’s Hotel – (2/10) – What the hell was that? It looked terrible! The acting was terrible! Worst show of the season!
#27 (new) – Date A Live – (3/10) – This is terrible. Incredibly annoying with fulfillment that goes nowhere. Seriously, this one won the contest of having the worst premise of the season.
#26 (new) – Zettai Bouei Leviathan – (5/10) – This really is Gonzo at its worst. Really generic moe girls with really, really, really bad fighting scenes. I saw no reason whatsoever to continue with this.
#25 (new) – Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san – (6.25/10) – The first arc was incredible. The funniest thing I’ve watched all year. The second arc… bleeding asses. Seriously?!
#24 (new) – Uta no Prince Sama – (6.4/10) – Incredibly girly series. There are only two actual girls in this series!
#23 (new) – Namiuchigawa no Moromi-san – (6.5/10) – This series is one of those shows that try way too hard to be funny, without actually being it. It’s just a hyperactive mermaid who punches things.
#22 (new) – Yuyushiki – (7/10) – Just another slice of life series that did not really managed to set itself apart in any way.
#21 (new) – Mushibugyo – (7/10) – A random shounen action series that did not impress me.
#20 (new) – Photo Kano – (7.1/10) – Not the worst, but still quite a dull in terms of character. It remains a harem after all.
#19 (new) – Karneval – (7.25/10) – Too corny for my tastes. No interesting characters to keep my attention.
#18 (new) – Arata Kangatari – (7.4/10) – I did not continue with this one, simply because the competition looked more interesting. Plus hearing stories that it would get really generic quite fast didn’t help much, because a story like this needs to stay interesting.
#17 (new) – DD Hokuto no Ken – (7.5/10) – Good director, but in the end it’s just too silly, and the jokes are too juvenile. Some of them work, but most of them don’t.
#16 (new) – Devil Suvrivor 2 The Animation – (7.6/10) – I just had no motivation to keep up with this one, due to both the dull characters, and the uninteresting plot.
#15 (4) – Uchuu Kyoudai – (7.75/10) – 10 years ago, Wolf’s Rain came with four consecutive recap episode. The reason behind it was an outbreak of SARS which would have made the showing a little too insensitive for the audience. Today, Space Brothers came with three consecutive recaps. The reason is a timeslot change. I am disappointed.
#14 (new) – Danchi Tomou – (7.75/10) – Danchi Tomou is a bit strange. It’s got an awesome opening theme, and it tells the daily life of a really bratty kid. The big problem is that the kid acts like half his age. The creators tried to make him stupid, but went a bit too far in that.
#13 (11) – Saint Seiya Omega – (8/10) – The big problem with the new arc is how incredibly silly and monotonous the new villains look. Apart from that, I can’t say much about it yet. It’s obviously building up right now (the first half also took ages to get going), but the main cast still is very solid to watch.
#12 (new) – Valvrave the Liberator – (8/10) – This is just so incredibly silly. Camp in every single way with incredibly over the top name yelling and all that sort of stuff. A definite contender for the trainwreck of the year, but will it be a beautiful or a disastrous one?
#11 (new) – Aiura – (8/10) – What really caught me here is how beautiful the animation is. It may not look like much, but the attention to detail is exquisite with a lot of focus on small and subtle movements. It’s a darn shame that the characters are generic.
#10 (new) – Yahari Blahblah – (8/10) – Interesting, but it focuses way too much on tsunderes, to the point of driving its points a bit too far because of that. This is however, looking out to be the series that Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai should have been.
#9 (new) – Majestic Prince – (8/10) – Started out with really stereotypical characters. And then they got better, which is what I did not expect. This show is surprisingly self-aware.
#8 (new) – Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge – (8/10) – Crime Edge is really weird. It’s got this really weird celebration of fetishes, but in the end it has little substance and is just a battle series.
#7 (new) – Red Data Girl – (8.1/10) – Takes itself a bit too seriously in its build-up, but it does have potential. I’m really behind this one, though…
#6 (new) – Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet – (8.25/10)

This series has some interesting characters, and I like how it puts emphasis on cause and effect, combined with big cultural differences. It’s quite good science fiction so far, albeit the short length worries me.

#5 (8) – Hunter X Hunter – (8.4/10)

While the new ant queen looks a bit silly, the rest of the new arc is looking good. Thank god we finally have gotten to the new material!

#4 (new) – Hataraku Maou-Sama – (8.4/10)

Hataraku Maou-Sama is surprisingly witty. Really, the humour here is clever and very funny. The downside to it is that it uses clichés too much. You can also use other ideas for that, you know.

#3 (new) – Shingeki no Kyojin – (8.6/10)

This series really is looking rock-solid. The cast is large, yet well fleshed out, and the titans really look freaky. The action scenes really are great and even though it’s still building up it’s looking really promising.

#2 (6) – Chihayafuru – (8.75/10)

Overall I would have preferred a pacing that was a bit faster, but the finals of the team matches were nevertheless AWESOME. This show just keeps showing twists and turns with its huge cast of awesome characters!

#1 (new) – Aku no Hana – (8.75/10)

This show is amazing. Sure, it’s cheap and rotoscoped, but heck, it has an incredible atmosphere. The director knows exactly what he’s doing, and the characters are incredibly expressive: the rotoscoping has allowed the creators to focus on the tiniest of movements. This show is incredibly dark, and I love it!

1. TheUltimateReaper says:

I love Crime Edge. For me it’s really refreshing. Sure it has the standard battle anime theme of a shounen but it spins a unique take on things.

It’s unorthodox and at the same time mainstream. It’s different, original and a bit daring. Frankly this is what the anime world needs. More shows that push the boundaries of what is normal. I think it has plenty of substance.

Other than that I’d have to agree with you on just about everything here. I’m still pissed about Hana though, but I’m sure its the fans who are really upset.

2. ryanagamis says:

psgels confirmed hipster.

3. moo? says:

#2 (6) – Chihayafuru – (8.75/10)
    what does “(6)” mean? where others says “(new)” but what are the digits for?

4. mezzoguitar says:

You haven’t mentioned Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko since the Spring 2013 preview. Have you watched and dropped it, or did you just skip it altogether?

• Saganatsu says:

ditto on Railgun S.

• gdgd says:

He also didn’t watch HnG Cuties, but I can understand that.
        Since psgels doesn’t have enough time, probably he skipped the sequels of series he didn’t like or series that looked too shitty to give them a chance.

5. Tirtha says:

Its interesting to see Aku No Hana to be at the top of the table.The story is amazing but its a pain to watch the animation,especially when you have read the manga. Psgels have you gone through the manga?

6. Emma-hime says:

While its good that you did mention the recap trinity space brothers went through I’m surprised you didn’t mention that chihayafuru recap episode that slows down an already kind of sluggish second season.

7. Vybegallo says:

I think you take Zettai Bouei Leviathan and Namiuchigawa no Moromi-san too seriously. Leviathan have rather light sense of humor, and Moromi-san just keep coming with ridiculous stories and event turns.
    Also Hataraku Maou-Sama isn’t really that cliché if you look from D&D perspective. This especially concerns backstory in ep4, because it makes specific person planetouched, and entire setting with parallel worlds with different magic etc. makes a lot of sense.

8. Airies says:

yahari was 10! meaning next month it has its chance to shine and climb the ladder!!!

9. Rihan says:

Very surprised at Aku no Hana as #1. I think you’re giving this show too much credit

• gedata says:

Space Brothers would have taken it easily if not for the recaps I bet, well knowing this blogger of course. Besides that, none of the series from previous months were in top form (Chihayafuru, Hunter x Hunter). So yeah, I can see why Aku no Hana takes #1.

• Avalon says:

Pretty much everything he said about it was true imo so I agree with it being #1.

10. Actually I’m pretty sure the four Wolf’s Rain recap episodes were because they actually couldn’t get to work/or a lot of people were too sick to work, not because showing the episodes was insensitive. Also surprised that you ranked Chihayafuru so highly given that it’s also had a recap episode and super slow pacing which has been almost as frustrating.

11. Nunu says:

I agree with you psgels, i do not like aku no hana.

But no one has the right to call you a hipster, since it is your tastes and you explain why you like that, i respect that.

Not all the series click the same buttons on everyone.

12. Shadow says:

I don’t know why you’re praising the director of Aku no Hana. He’s just following the manga to even the smallest detail, but if he weren’t this series wouldn’t be interesting at all.

The point is, the plot itself of Aku no Hana is really good, and after the heavy critics the studio got for the rotoscoping, the staff had to say that to make up to the fans they will adapt the series to even the smallest detail.

Trust me, had the series used the original manga artstyle, this could have easily been the best anime of the year.

• Hogart says:

I disagree. Simply changing the artstyle wouldn’t have made Aku no Hana any different, just its fanbase.

• Shadow says:

Shingeki no Kyojin states otherwise. Not only is adapting the material to how it looks, but also the plot is being adapted the same way, that’s why the only thing this series gets is praise over and over. And that’s why it’s popularity is at the top of the season.

The only thing that keeps Aku no Hana interesting right now, is the well written plot, but that’s nothing the staff and studio did, Aku no Hana already had a good plot to begin with. If anything we should praise the mangaka for the plot, cuz the studio and staff havent done anything outstanding.

I’ve said this many times, but in the anime industry, adaptations that follow the material both art wise and story wise end up becoming the masterpieces of the generation. When they fail at either of them, they just end up labelled as good, but not outstanding.

• Vonter says:

I’ll like to disagree if you meant that adapting a story to other mediums should be the rule rather than the norm. It’s not only translating the material faithfully, is also understanding its motifs, and goals at telling something.

And no, the only thing that is making interesting Aku no Hana is how that plot is being shown, with cold backgrounds, crude character design and clever sound direction. The manga is nice but I felt the design made some unintentional funny moments, and also I didn’t get absorbed in the setting due to the fast paced way the story got told. I think it was surprising the bold move they made with the series.

• Avalon says:

If it had the art of the manga (I have not read it, but I have seen it) I feel it would have been simply more typical. The art we have no makes it truly stand out and creates an atmosphere that seems to fit perfectly with the story.

Maybe my opinion would be different if I had actually read the manga, but I am actually glad I have not. I can enjoy this great show and its unique style instead of comparing it.

13. Silver says:

I agree with your ratings for the most part but your rating for Date A Live is sort of unfair. The premise is stupid and I agree (although the author later has a very good reason why it is so… the anime will never get to that considering the pacing as of now) but it’s still unique and although annoying at times, seems to do a decent job with the execution. Giving it a rating of 3/10 while stuff like Photo Kano gets 7.1/10 seems a bit odd (I had hope for it since the manga was good but the anime has a lot of sleazy moments). You complain that Photo Kano had dull characters but it’s expected from a harem but then what exactly did Date A Live do to make it rank so low at 3? The animation of Date A Live is not bad, the music is not bad, the premise is seemingly stupid but the ranking for it is close to Sparrows Hotel which is… arguably bad in almost everything. Doesn’t Date a Live deserve a higher score than that? Probably at least 5/10? Since it’s more in line with Zettai Bouei Leviathan and such?

• kazid33 says:

Well four chapters and yes Date A live is crap for me. Aku no hana also dont deserve a firts place meaby a 15, sniff, missing Railgun S in that list. And seriously Omega??, well each one whit his preferences.

• Ender says:

thing is the Toaru series (railgun/index) has jumped the shark LONG ago, and in the future anime episodes/adaptations its going to be jumping more than a shark. . .It’s going to Jump Jupiter. that show/novel/story is just so ridiculous it’s silly.

• Dp says:

Given Railgun S is now doing the powerfully-written Sisters arc – and doing it very well – I really can’t take that seriously.

Railgun S is one of the best series now running.

14. Raye Peneber says:

I’m not exactly a rookie to anime (came in around 2003) and have no idea what rotoscoping is but it hurts my eyes! I really can’t watch aku no hana because it just looks cheep and ugly. I may just down a 6 pack and try and get through some eps in a bit, but I’m an animation whore and can’t lower my standards.

I love how sexually creepy crime edge is. When the female stroked the crime edge in a phalic manner, and the nude cuddling was amazing. It’s not too deep but a lot of fun. Those moments will keep me hooked on this series. Poor mans marai niki?

• Ender says:

I didn’t get that far, I saw the whole girl licking the whips thing “like a big” and decided “whelp, that’s all for that show”

• Avalon says:

I don’t see how Aku no Hana requires you to lower your standards. I had no idea what rotoscoping was as well and I was just as shocked as most in the 1st ep, but then after 3 eps I felt the art and animation fit perfectly with the atmosphere the anime was trying to convey.

People who know rotoscoping and can compare when it is done right and wrong may have an argument with it being ugly. However for me, since I have no other knowledge of rotoscoping, Aku no Hana just feels VERY different and I love it.

15. kbot says:

I’m really not understanding the distaste for Aku no Hana. The characters are very flawed, some even disturbed. The style is jarring, which fits this perfectly. I feel uncomfortable watching it, which is exactly how I should feel considering the subject matter.

The alternative (and what many seem to have wanted) would be akin to casting Zooey Deschanel as Annie Wilkes in “Misery”. She’d be rainbow-vomitingly cute sledgehammering a leg, but it’d also ruin the atmosphere. Maybe the director preferred that viewers not be attracted to the characters, but instead dislike them for the ugliness.

• wakka9ca says:

Now imagine if this was a novel or a live action. Just stop thinking about the “art” and think about the story for a second. Do you see any point in the story other than the author pointing the middle finger to the readers?

• kbot says:

I suppose I should have worded my previous post differently. What I intended to say was, I feel that the chosen art style is much more fitting for the narrative than other alternatives, and is much more appropriate than people give it credit for, since it makes the characters seem that much more unhinged and disconcerting.

Also, I personally have no issues finding characters I do not relate to interesting. For example, every character in “Bonfire of the Vanities” is, for lack of a better word, a piece of shit, but I find them fascinating. I guess for me, detestable personalities can be just as interesting as ones I sympathize with. Furthermore, I have no problems with snail paced narratives.

• Ender says:

“The problem with Aku no Hana is that the source material is really bad already. The inner struggle of the characters is too petty. The MCs are too pretentious, just like normal teenagers but way beyond the point of being tolerable and healthy (which was the point). As you cannot relate to any of the characters (unless you suffer from similar issues), it demotivates the readers. Also the manga is dragging on too much. There is barely any progression after all these years.

If they didn’t use this controversial style of animation, the series would have been really bad anyway. They really had nothing to lose. At least with the controversial style, the characters are even more pretentious than their counterpart in the manga. This makes the series even more frustrating to go through, which I believe was the intention.”

I actually agree with this. I actually enjoyed the rotoscoping thing! but the story is just mind dumbingly retarded imo.

It really is akin to circle jerk material for pretentious/disturbed people.

the art would have been amazing if the story had something to actually say, rather than just flip through the lives of socially retarded high schoolers.

• Arno says:

Thank you for this illuminating explanation. Yes I think you’re right the bad rotoscoping was not incompetence, it was a deliberate choice to give anime some personality, so it can pass as a horror story instead of just retarded.

16. perrin4869 says:

Speaking of Wolf’s Rain, I know your tastes/opinions changed a lot since you reviewed it (I myself never watched it), how much would you give it today? Is it better in retrospect?

17. Arno says:

I think Yahari bahblah and also Hentai Oujin are very decent.

18. Knower of evil truth says:

Obviously this will open up some kinda flame war, but I gotta let it out:
    Since when does a sadistic rapist being a sadistic rapist considered a well written plot with depth?

Also, you really overlook a lot of anime with potential.
    Devil survivor got a lot better than it’s start, they do a lot of changes from the game, but it’s actually those changes are what makes this become quite amusing, and while the director is most certinly trying to make this an evangelion rip-off, so far he’s doing an okay-job as that. If anything all the animation and effects are kinda nice and well, let’s just say that while it dosen’t have anything mind-blowing, it’ll probablt surprise most people, both who have and haven’t played the game, in the latest episodes.
    Also, while I’ll admit to not watching Mushibugyo, I read it’s manga which was all-around amusing, with a nice colorful cast, good jokes, and refreshing character designs. I realize you’re not much of a Shonen fan, but you should really give these more credit or at least not mark them off just because they are shonen. Hell, if this is anything like the manga, fighting isn’t even that much of a focus in here. It’s mostly character interactions.

19. kraken says:

Actually, the beggining if the season 2 of Saint seiya Omega seem far worst than the beggining of the first one.
    The first episodes of Omega season 1 had fabulous animation and Direction for them (Hatano, Rie Matsumoto, Umakoshi) and didn’t reused the same plot every episodes.
    This season 2 add poor animation, often poor direction, poor new character and every episode the same poor storyline
    And if I can understand the presentation of the character on a season 1, it’s pretty idiotic in a second season

20. Deadlights says:

I think Aku no Hana deserves number one

21. Perry Tanko says:

The hard working otaku at another site I can’t mention are helping me select from the list to watch. Come to think of it, any good romance series among those?

KT here: This looks pretty though I am sure I will object to the way the history is presented.
KT here: Classicaloid Season 2 penultimate episode had a whole bunch of anime/game references including an Akuma one.
With Vinland, I think it was that it switched magazines, started as a shounen.
HYPE! HYPE! VINLAND HYPE! I really hope it's a 2-cour where they end with the "End of Prologue".
Wonder how Vinland will be. It's one of the very very very few long running series I still consider as good. Usually there is always a lot of stuff that annoys me once a series switches its tone or genre at some point.
I also wish Wixoss would die and I really loved the first series, even both seasons. But the lastest one without Okada was atrocious.
@Kaiser: that kind of distraction is just the internet's curse I know it as well. It kinda pisses me off because I was a pretty diligent worker once and created a lot of create new content even. Now I often get the urge to check the newest funny tweets/memes whatever.
Well played sir
In my headcanon I'm pretending the crowdfunding for a possible gunsmith cats anime will work.
This will be a good way to re-cap on older chapters of Vinland through the adaptation. I started reading it way back in 2007.
excellent news
So, vinland saga appears to have gotten picked up for an adaptation by WIT
I will watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. Probably give Golden Kamuy a chance.
I'll consider golden kamuy at least.
I'm too busy with galactic heroes original to watch the remake right now and you can bet for certain i am staying far far away from mahou shoujo site.
While I won't say anythong doreikus villain reveal pretty much killed it for me. I never really watched much of full metal panic due to not finding it funny.
Just let Wixoss, Sword art and tokyo ghoul die already , its beating the dead horse at this point.
Kaiser-Eoghan in the meantime you can all content yourself with that preview.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
@Anon, When it's done.
They actually take work you know, not as if I can just cough them up on a whim.
Spring Preview when?
I enjoy TONS of subtitled stuff, but I have to admit...sometimes to re-winding and pausing when the dialogue gets heavy or complex.
I know Aico has a shit dub but sometimes I find myself watching in English and feeling lazy because its easier to watch more now that way.
I used to be able to marathon stuff so easily but now I can't do the 12 episodes in one go thing like I used to.
Something goes off, even after 30 minutes to an hour "Shit....have to see if something NOW....can't stop myself"
I'm not the kind of person who messes with their phone in a cinema, but at home somehow theres this moments where I just get this distracting urge to keep checking some site, E-mail, snacking, going to the bathroom too often or lie down, look at someones doujin/smut art or write something all when I'm supposed to be doing something else.
What I mean is, I'll be reading/watching something and its not boring at all, maybe even interesting, but I can't stop pausing sometimes for...reasons and it takes me longer to get through something because of this.
I know this is pretty much an effect of living in this generation but, for those of you who experience this, how do you guys deal with "distraction." Sometimes this annoys me....
@Amagi: I'm evasive of "non-old man pubs" at night , particularly late at night, I don't want to come across any "characters" I'd prefer not to encounter.
Liquor goes great after copious amounts of beef and steak
@Amagi, Considering that I am here, you probably should have expected a Fate GO review.
Wow I didn't expect a FGO review here
Well it's the reason why I never drink alcohol at home. Even if I were depressed it wouldn't change my mood so it's pointless.
I can reach a point where I feel like dreaming but none of my character traits change. Guess it always varies depending on the person. Same with my best friend, he's just get tired when drunk, but nothing else ever happens.
@Kaiser: Same here. Often go to pubs with friends at night but not only do I not want to ever get my mind "altered" by alcohol, it doesn't even work it seems. Or maybe it's the will or that I am just not influenceable.
Ah, this is just me being in grumpyKaiser mode =)
I have been drunk, I do not like it. I do like being tipsy, but hate drunk. I generally like beer because it does not muck me up as bad as harder drinks (ouzo, raki, and I absolutely despise tequila). The first time in my life I celebrated Valentine's Day was this year. Have to say that it was not too bad.
Baccardi and Vodka were the only forms of alcohol I felt didn't especially taste "off" to me.
I also dislike Valentines day for the schmaltz, insincerity, fakeness around it and the idea there has to be "a day" for it and the captilization, commercialization of emotions.
In all my thirty one years I have never been drunk and never intend to, I dislike the idea of surrendering my mind to alcohol and feeling "altered". If anything you would be safer doing marijuana.
And Guinness is massively overrated.
@Anon: I care for neither really.
Alcohol culture in a nutshell: if you like to drink sweet alcohol that actually tastes good instead of liquor that tastes like gasoline and piss, you're a pussy.
I've no interest in Irelands drinking culture /festival days much.
Its really just a day off or an excuse for 13 year olds to get drunk.
He was Welsh aswell and there weren't exactly that much snakes in Ireland to begin with.
@Mario: Its technically St Patricks day now yes. Not that I personally care for it, I got going to the parade out of my system over a decade ago, never liked the oirishness and cliches/commercialisim around it, in the end it just makes it impossible to get around the city, plus the weather is so poor its pointless going out anyway.
I saw some Irish flags around my area. Is it St Patrick day today?
I did listen to some of aico's dub, I don't think any of these people are experienced or professional voice actors.
Anon: B the beginning was too much of an awkward genre mix. I was content to just ignore aico because I'm not a fan of Bones as a studio but you're the second person to say it reminds them of some old ova.
@Anon: I enjoyed the combination of old and new with devilman, it even being able to eclipse the ovas, aswell as the experimental visual style and transgression, and as you said, the surprising emotional involvement.
So i finish, B the Beginning, Aico, Devilman( What a feel's ride). and I must say that they're far from perfect, but they remaind me of 90, early 2000 anime, that i loved so much and that is a big plus. Today's anime doesnt feel quite the same in my opinion, what are your thoughts.. Now im getting excited to watch SWORD GAI!.
While obvious an anime series, After the rain often feels like a live action film.
@Mario: Actually that does remind me, I never saw Pola X by Carax.
Miike is extremely hit or miss, but I loved how Audition minipulated the viewer with its slower first half before really taking off, most of Ichi the killer is just a perversely funny black comedy to me.
Chang-dong-Lee is refreshingly less melodramatic then other Korean directors.
Benh Zeitlin is one I'm not familiar with, but it turns out he did beasts of southern wild and I enjoy magical realism.
@Mario: I wasn't aware Carax was still alive, some sgements of holy motors work, others don't , lovers on the bridge was a more accessible film I recall.
@Fluca: okay. Kinda fixed it. I don't think we have a spoiler code so I just changed your spoiler into white color
@Kaiser: I'm checking movies from indie auteur directors that could come out this year, interested Benh Zeitlin's second movie, Lee Chang Dong's and Leos Carax's one
Would love to see Our Little Sister in anime form, actually
Although Miike directs like at least 40 feature films, I only remember his Audition and Ichi the Killer the most, both of which I have extremely mixed feeling about
Every time I here the title Aico, it makes me think its some kind of eco/environmental thing, which I know it isn't.
The fate/extra Alice character (I looked her up) looks like she belongs in rozen maiden.
The modern Japanese directors can be prolific Miike and Sono pump out more than one film a year.
And it shows, that Our little sister adaptation, that live action adaptations CAN sometimes work.
Quick fact, that action crime josei anime, Bananna fish, coming out in April is based on a manga by the writer of Our little sister's manga.
@Mario: The interest being, how he would handle something so removed from his usual style.
@Mario: Actually re-checking, its next week, The third murder , which seems very different, a courtroom drama with some philosophy in it.
I really enjoy Our Little Sister, but I think mainly because the film is entirely within my comfort zone (Slice of life manga material, about the life of these girls)
@Kaiser: Which one will you see? He now directs one movie per year so it's hard to keep track some times. I really like his style and I reckon people who like slice-of-life will enjoy his movies
@Mario: Hirokazu Koreeda has a new film out, seeing it on Friday, I've only seen Our little sister by him.
@Anon: I essentially deleted the rest of the episodes off my computer after struggling through the first, like most, maybe moreso I got very turned off by the genre mixing. Thats not to say that I'm against genre mixes though, but they have to be weird, I mean really weird.
I am not a fan of breather episodes, something most modern anime are pretty keen to insert. I hate breaking of climaxes in order to show three SoL-, fanservice- or formularic monster of the week episodes before the main plot progresses further. When I want SoL I go watch a full fleshed SoL. Aico is pretty straight forward and kinda easy to watch in one go in that regard. Nothing really new though.
Just finished Aico. Had a few downsides like most series but I enjoyed it. Felt like a classic scifi anime you'd see in the 90s.
@Anon, I watched it. Though it was mixed but a decent enough watch. It really felt like two shows hastily combined into one. Been thinking of writing a review for it and Aico once I finish Aico.
*Have you watch
Have toy watch, B The Beginning?
I would call it somewhat lightweight however, but I won't complain/level too much against it, as it is afterall, a family film.
*in my memory
Nice animation showcase aswell though I don't know how long this will really stay i my memory, though it was nice.
Although it relies on being fairly convenient, linear and simplistic, that Mary witch flower anime movie is at its strongest when visually drawing the viewer into its world and wherever it shows spectacle. I'd say its adequately charming. Fair enough.
Hakata sounds like Gangasta. A series I enjoyed, despite its massive flaws
thanks guys. I will probably give it a try. I am also watching the Castlevania anime finally. Not really worth it for me. Also I watched the first episode of Garo Vanishing Line. I can a say it was fun.
Hi guys, anyone here played Sea Bed VN? Just wondering...
@Anon1880687 - I watched a couple of episodes. Feels like a foreign series. Since it doesn't feel like an anime made in Japan. I did like the group of revengers seem to have more personality than the main leads which insinuate chemistry but doesn't go deep into it. I don't remember if they explain why one of the leads chooses to dress like a girl. Though at least they give him/her a male voice.
@KTravlos: me. Not impressed. First few eps were alright with a set of bold characters, but later the lot just goes around in circle for these characters acting cool and cool rules the day. I dropped it after episode 6
KT here. Has anybody watched Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens? Impressions?
@Vonter: It gets more serious later although I agree it's better starting this without any knowledge about the series, like I did. I just loved the tragicomical jokes and the obsessive nostalgia Bojack suffered from and neither needed nor expected any drama but it was pretty good when it happened nonetheless.
@Anon, Not really. They just wanted to find some justification for the trashy aspects for a show they liked rather than accept it.
And while I understand how obnoxious it can be, there are times when people complain about a show doesn't explain itself and then get pissed off when you try to give an explanation.
ProZD nails it on the head yet again The people who continue to make excuses for kill la kill's fan service are the same ones fapping to episodes of the show to this day
@Vonter: From what I hear, while it does have comedy, by the second season not only does it improve, but its more of a drama.
I've been watching Bojack Horseman. It's good, yet watching certain clips before the actual series made me expect a darker show. I know it's a cartoon, but some jokes reduced the impact of certain events. Though I suppose it's meant to be uplifting and not just mean spirited. It gave me some Nier and Aku no Hana vibes.
We watched the first three episodes of B the Beginning. I must say I enjoyed it. We will see how the rest goes.
*whole franchise bar Macross delta
Despite loving the mans work since I got started on anime when I was younger, I still haven't seen Kawamori's most recent Macross series despite seeing the whole franchise.
I think devilman set me up for the idea that netflix would be putting out more transgressive anime.
If i were to rank the three netflix original shows that have released so far in descending order, it would be devilman crybaby, AICO, and then B: the beginning
so i just finished binge watching AICO...give it a watch if you guys have time, it's pretty good
@Mario: A good dose of reality in that episode though.
@Mario: Well I guess I called it completely wrong on who Chihiro was lol
@Amagi: Steins gate spent far too much time on a jokey first half.
Not that I'm trashing polemical writing, I find stuff by Jean-Luc-Godard fucking funny.
Doing a giant mood piece isn't pretentious, because it probably doesn't have a concrete meaning any way.
While still keeping it with enough sophistication .
For example, doing a rant of a film will only communicate to your intellectual friends and people already in the know, the working class guy you want to inform with your societal/political/religious ideas , was probably watching a western back in the 60s/70s, just incorporate the themes into that while not sacrificing the films appeal
With regards to pretension, I think that comes into play when you have a director trying to communicate ideas but ends up becoming ridiculously, overly polemical, its better to communicate thought provoking ideas through something straight, while also remaining some distance.
I think it often happens when authors create things on the fly, at least with manga. You can see terrible forms of comedy/SoL -> drama/scifi switches among webcomics, which are usually done by "amateurs", some of them being pretty young. It's always good when a series hints or blatantly shows what it is during its first episodes/chapters. Not talking about mysteries but genres.
Usually for dramatic comedy to work I feel it needs to let the viewer know early on that the story will feature both....the sudden drama thing generally is a result where a funny film needs an ending and a story needs to be fabricated hastily.
Melodrama is like genre mixes. If it does work it can be something special, but it's really hard to write and most directors just lack the talent to do so. It's like a comedy that turns serious at some point. It CAN work, but there aren't many cases where that happens. Usually they're just alienating their comedy fans and the drama fans weren't there to begin with.
Same here
I think some really old Euro movies, latin ones especially get away with melodrama well because the acting was different and more theatrical .
If the mekodramatics can properly cast a spell on a viewer, I am open to it if the writers strong enough but in general, when I'm watching something, the best stories are the ones where the atmosphere is so assure I forget I'm watching fiction.
I know they just want to make their audience feel good but I think it's a terrible moral or idea. Especially since most people know at least one person they loved that died from such illnesses. No matter what they did or tried to do to overcome it.
Yeah exactly. Honestly most cancer movies are terrible I think. I also hate these series in which the main character, I don't know, wins a match for his cancer-ridden love and then s/he recovers.
@Amagi: Too silly for me, the psycho faces.
@Kaiser: Not using music can be a great method to illustrate serious moments I think.
I've spoken to my father about this, who recovered from cancer years ago, those kind of phrases irritate him, hr said " don't battle, fight cancer, you fucking suffer through it, then if your lucky you get through it"
I mean, again, I loved Madoka but I see how this method they used is kinda cheap. It's still better than many other series of that type. I am aready looking forward to see how terrible Magical Girl Site is, the trailer looks like a psycho face trash fest.
The really annoying thing is when some of these docs and dramas use phrases like "her battle, her FIGHT, her BRAVE fight against cancer.
I enjoyed Madoka but I know what you mean. I think I will never rewatch Madoka but I love to see certain Tutu- and Sailor Moon scenes from time to time. I think Madoka is kinda similar to netflix shows or code geass in that regard. It always ends with some evil cliffhanger to hype you up for the next episode and it throws in one shocking revelation after another for the same reason.
@Amagi: On the music thing, some documentaries do this. What I loved about Shoah and night and fog is that the directors showed the landscapes/buildings where it happened and never used music.
I mean I know how bad ww2 and other things were. I really don't need rain, sad music and lots of actor tears to realize that. It reminds me of the laughing tracks sitcoms have that tell you when you have to laugh. And newer movies have exaggerated effects as well, not a fan of that. I rather see well thought-out content than a bomb-show. Not to mention that I hate sensory overload.
Its also kind of why I can NEVER look at hentai of something I enjoyed when I was young.
Which I admit is bias and a crap opinion lol
I grew up with Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailormoon and looking into lighthearted mahou shoujo , I don't mind nanoha and tutu, but there was always the feeling madoka was corrupting something.
On dark moe, I've stopped with lol edgy when criticizing Madoka, I realize that its the equivalent to Batman porn to me, the idea of that level of a slant on a genre I went for when I was a kid.
I agree. I was interested in Schindler's List when I was ~12 or so because it was something new for me. Nowadays I realize it's not really my thing, there are many western war shows that come of as too "pathetic" to me, they feel too much like, well, Hollywood blockbusters (which is what they actually are) than a serious commetary on war or so.
@Amagi: Thats the trouble I have with Hollywood , a film about Autism like Rain man or a mental illness movie like I am Sam, these American movies never seem real and the depictions feel so hammy and inaccurate.
On the dark moe trope, rather than throwing out words on it, its the tonal inconsistency that gets to me.
Yeah the opposite is bad as well. A show can have good intentions, even lots of good ideas but still have a bad execution.
Schindler's list is a great example of this, personally I think popcorn drama/oscar baiting the holocaust is somewhat distasteful and the film comes off as comparitively ingenuinely when I've seen a couple of eastern war films by people who actually lived during the war.
And "egdy" is very much about the tone a series has and not so much the actual content. Therefore it has to be explained as well, a dark series, even one with lots of blood, isn't necessarily edgy, it depends on the stance the autor has, whom we're supposed to root for and why, how characters and scenes are depicted and the overall tone, moral and so on.
On another note, to go back to "critic proof", this is a terrible practice because it allows people to take an easy topic for a story and it become forbidden to give a bad review.
Yeah, "badly written" for example doesn't mean anything unless you're gonna illustrate how it is badly written by showing and analyzing examples from the show and explain why the writing for these scenes is weak
Thats why I like here, people actually talk about a show in some detail, even the reviewers.
An non-backed up opinion when I'm looking for a show to follow doesn't tell me anything, how am I meant to know to watch something based on a single word or sentence?
I suppose its less of a case of buzzwords and more how people don't explain anything . The reason I say I have to do a 300 word review or long opinion on something is because I feel buzzwords and one word/one sentence opinions are un-helpful.
@Amagi: And I think thats certainly an issue, the lines being bkurred between shitposting/trolling and genuine critique .
I mean there are a lot of badly written shows out there or shows that are too tryhard, but people often use these phrases as buzzwords for everything and don't state reasons for using these terms for a specific show. I see tons of "egdy" posts as soon as a series is a bit darker than the usual harem and it's hard to distinguish these pieces from actual shitposts or trolls.
It sounds better to say that I don't like something because it's too egdy, too stupid and pure pandering (when it's about moe) or "badly written" than saying that I can't relate to certain settings, characters and so one or that I've seen a certain idea too often.
@Kaiser: I think many people just don't want to admit that disliking a series is usually a subjective thing. They rather want to credit their own intelligence for not liking it.
New Boogiepop anime announced for 2018 o/

Mahoutsukai no Yome -23 [Nothing Seek, Nothing Find]

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Chise and friends, the premier hollow friendship simulator of the season. This week on Mahoutsukai we have biblical backstories, every named character shows up and a general decline from last episode. Lets jump in! In terms of general quality, its a step down from last week. That isn’t unexpected, […]

After the Rain – 10 [Sudden Shower]

At this point I can safely say that I will enjoy whatever direction Ameagari will wrap up. It has transformed from a merely love story between two adorable individuals with a huge age gap into something much deeper, more refine and more poetic. This episode is another stellar showcase in a way it feels entirely […]

Violet Evergarden – 10 [Loved Ones Will Always Watch Over You]

It’s a neat (and cruel) trick Violet Evergarden pulled this week. I always have a soft spot for mature undertone story from a point of view of kids (that’s why I am always fond of To Kill a Mockingbird, for instance) so this story is right within my wheelhouse. Violet Evergarden’s melodrama approach can be […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 11 [Bash That Drum Can!]

Another episode of Universe that delves into friendship issues. While I can see many hiccups along the way, I can still say the ride is worth it. Not that I think this episode stands out, rather that I don’t know exactly how I feel about this episode’s resolution. This episode features my favorite girl, a […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 07[A Story for Someone’s Sake ― Nursery・Rhyme ―]

Thus ends the Nursery Rhyme two episode arc and that certainly was more confusing than it needed to be. The fight was once again, anticlimactic and rather lacking strategy wish as well. I mean our protagonists kept talking like they had a plan but it pretty much amounted to just climbing the tower and fighting […]

Darling in the Franxx – 09[Triangle Bomb]

Today on Darling in the Franxx, death flags averted. I admit that throughout this episode I fully prepared myself to see Goro die. The signs were everywhere with him confirming to Hiro that he was in love with Ichigo, the mission leaving him stranded with a trolosuar, the hair clip as well as the base […]

Junji Ito Collection – 10[Greased/Bridge]

Ugh, I was lucky I ate before that first story started. Not so much scary but very disgusting with the oily dirty house and that brother with the pimples…ugh. This story is more gross out factor than actual horror as there isn’t really a plot besides this girl living with her horrible family in a […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 22 [As you sow, so shall you reap]

These past few episodes I have been rather critical of Mahoutsukai, and rightfully so I would say. The new characters are lackluster, the plot/stories dull. A 7/10 series at best. It is with this mindset, this frame of reference, that I can see “As you sow, so shall you reap” is the best episode of […]

Violet Evergarden – 08/09 [Violet Evergarden]

If I haven’t known beforehand that Violet Evergarden has 14 episodes, I would easily assume that this is the conclusion of Violet Evergarden. And in some ways, there is a strong sense of closure in this latest episode. This last two episodes have their full attention to the core development of Violet, that includes an […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]