Posted by psgels on 22 May 2013 with categories: Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)

Yes! This would be the chapter for the anime where it had to boil down to whether the creators knew what they were doing or not. If they didn’t get this part right, then I had to question whether they knew what they were doing with this adaptation. But they nailed it! They actually made a smashing episode here.

This episode really meant to drive home that the characters are just completely screwed. Everyone gets slaughtered, the main character is death, the only way to escape only leads to even more giants. It’s hopeless. Even the ever-strong Mikasa gave up and just lead all of the survivors on a suicide mission. It all was meant to build up to that one giant who started to fight back.

The atmosphere was very different from the manga, but it worked! This entire episode just had me on the edge of my seat, and the characterization was great. That’s what lacked in the start of this series: it’s really good, but the characters are very one-sided. Here is where they lose all that and get multiple sides.

And the choices behind the music and animation: they really work. The style of the manga made it impossible to animate directly, but the movements here have their own styles and they were awesome! Especially near the end of this episode.
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. chaoslimits says:

I don’t recall watching any anime episode twice on the same day.
    Good stuff SnK; brilliant episode.

2. Hogart says:

They’ve definitely got the action/horror chops down pat. Shame the writing stretches so far to put the heroes into dire straits without really convincing me of it. I’m also a bit underwhelmed by the twist at the end; seems a pretty obvious setup to me. Here’s hoping Titan turns out to be a bit more than just angst and ass-kicking until even that gets repetitive. I’m optimistic.

3. FireCoTTon says:

So how many episodes will there actually be? The Manga seems quit far from being finished, while also being released only once a month.
    Personally I think the anime will end at Ch.43 or something.

I really, really hope that they won’t pull a story out of their ass and follow the manga 100%. The only problem I see now though is, how? Let’s say the anime is finished in about 6 months with about 25 episodes, the manga would get 6 volumes, which also means, that we probably would have to wait 1-2 years for a new season.

4. Gan_HOPE326 says:

“the main character is death”

This typo opens to me a world of possibilities. Can you imagine it? An anime where the Grim Reaper himself is the protagonist? As he fights against the evil forces who want to grant immortality to humans and thus break the eternal balance of the universe itself?

(Yeah, it probably exists already. Hell, Bleach is almost it. Sort of)

5. Lex says:

It wasn’t really a suicide mission. It was a far-fetched mission. Staying would have been suicide. They needed gas to climb the walls. So the mission, although unlikely, was their only chance to retreat. 0.1% is better than 0%. No gas = they are trapped = they just wait to get eaten. So they could either fight, or wait to get eaten. And, Mikasa, inspired by Eren, thus motivate the troops to go on the mission.

• Hogart says:

If they didn’t have enough gas to climb the walls, then they didn’t have enough gas to fight the remaining horde of titans. It’s 0% either way.

In fact, it’s more probable that they could help each other make it to the walls, then get up high enough for most of the titans to not be able to reach them and wait, or use less gas to fire their hookshots and climb the rest of the way with those (how else would they climb the walls?). The titans were preoccupied, after all.

But this was arguably necessary for Mikasa’s growth as a character (“I led them all to this”), and it’s been established that the people in this setting are dumb as bricks, so I’m hardly surprised they would desperately cling to any sign of hope and react suicidally.

• Lex says:

First of all, they may have been closer to the gas-stockpile than they were to the wall. It is likely, after all. They were at the front-lines, after all, so it would make sense that the wall is the furthest away from them. Wouldn’t you say? ;)

Option A: They retreat. But they state explicitly that they do not have enough gas. To get there and then get over the wall would require more gas then they have, it is stated explicitly. Giants are fast. So that has 0% probability of success. So we can either assume that they are lying or accept it. They could give their gas to a few and sacrifice the rest, I suppose, but I don’t think the sacrificial lambs would agree.
        Option B: They wait and get eaten. Easiest to accomplish, just do nothing. Demoralized as they are.
        Option C: They go get gas. Survive or die trying.

The situation is plausible. Sure you can nitpick and say that their decision is wrong, but remember that they are at the front-lines, so getting to the gas-supply, would by shorter than getting to the wall.

6. ttsukasa says:

DIG A GIANT HOLE.

THAT IS ALL

SERIOUSLY A GIANT HOLE = GG except vs SUPER titan and even he wouldn’t be ale to get his friends across a GIANT HOLE.

Why has this not be thought of? it would create jobs, boost the economy and completely nullify the titan threat. “omg you got past our wall, now fall into a pit until we decide to come back and kill you”

All i’m saying is a 40 feet deep 100 feet wide hole on the other side of the wall would make their entire existance a ton safer. Only Devients would stand a chance of being smart enough to climb it and even then its shooting fish from a barrel.

• Hogart says:

Why didn’t the humans build tunnel networks, or even tunnels in or under the walls and adjoining walls? How did they even build the walls in the first place while Titans were eating them? Why don’t the giants dig under the walls if they’re cleverer than everyone expected?

Answers: you’re thinking too much. Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. Maybe Titan will try to explain these things eventually, but for now it’s just about grim hopelessness and desperation, no matter how odd.

• Lex says:

To answer: human psychology. If they work too much on defences, they are acknowledging the existence of the Giants. They already have the Walls, so they would rather rest peacefully. Work on other things, like food.

Tunnels aren’t a bad idea, but it is a massive feat of engineering to make big and stable tunnels, so it would take a lot of work. And humans would simply rather work on more pleasant things. Not to mention that humans are selfish.

• Hogart says:

That doesn’t really add up, but I’m at the point now where it doesn’t matter to me. I’ve seen worse representations of human psychology in a shock anime before, so I might as well just hand-wave it as “the first generation survivors died too quickly to build any more defenses, and they took all the intelligence and survival instincts with them.”

• Jedarq says:

I think they just kept the ideas of the masive protective wall because it was Middle Age, mega constructions made in rock (to sculp it) would take centuries to be finished, maybe their constructive tecnology is the reason (i don’t want to get technical about kinds of walls and iron structure), we just need some perspective… ._.

• cx says:

I noticed in one of the previous ep they had holes in behind the gates and a draw bridge over them but they ran and left it down.

• Blue Bomber says:

“SERIOUSLY A GIANT HOLE”

Then it’s Gurren Lagann all over again, but without Kamina… -_____-

• ttsukasa says:

I think you misunderstand, the titans are too stupid to climb that big wall. so if you dug a giant hole and they fell in it, they would remain there forever or until you decided to kill them. EVEN if a 50feet tall giant came, he would only be able to climb out, not help his friends out (quickly at least) or create a way for the others to get through.

And it isnt’ thinking too much

thinking too much would be “why dont they have latch post ALL throughout their city along with refilling stations ALL throughout their city for such a purpose”

It would be like the city of Chicago only having a single solitary fire station from which the trucks refill. aka idiotic.

• Hogart says:

I didn’t mean “thinking too much” in terms of real life, I meant thinking too much for this show :)

• Mike says:

Not sure if you noticed, but the titans do jump. Quite far as a matter of fact, as seen in ep… 5 I think it was?

I can tell you more reasons why digging holes wouldn’t work, but that would require me spoil later parts of the story.

• Hogart says:

True, but jumping far isn’t the same as jumping high. At least for now, I’m not convinced that the Titans could jump high enough or be clever enough to help each other climb on one another. They do seem to be evolving or whatever, so I’m sure pits and such aren’t going to be a problem for them eventually, but for now things aren’t being helped by the lack of tactics and intelligence being employed by the humans. It seems like they’re trying to sweep the most obvious and logical approaches under the rug for now just to increase dramatic tension, which is a trick that gets old really fast. Here’s hoping that doesn’t happen.

• Mike says:

Like I said, can’t really explain why it wouldn’t work without some major spoilers, so I’ll leave it at that.

• Hogart says:

Alright. I appreciate that, thanks. Hopefully I’ll still be able to appreciate the explanation when it finally does come.

• dankickyou says:

Are you stupid ttsukasa? You expect a 1700s tech nation to dig a moat for a fortress nation that is 500 km in diameter? And the Titans would just climb out of the fucking hole 40 feet is shorter than most Titans, dumbass. The Colossal Titans is 50 meters not 50 feet, retard. Look at episode 5 again, they build deep moats around the gate, but when the Titans broke through you can see a Titan just climbing his way out of the hole no problem.

• Hogart says:

Protip: don’t call someone a retard when your own logic doesn’t pan out. If the humans of this show could build those GIANT FREAKING WALLS (while being eaten alive, no less) then I’m sure they could build some big holes too. They didn’t know about the 50m tall Titans until episode 2, after all. Besides, they did try smaller-scale pits, it just doesn’t look like they tried too damn hard.

• dankickyou says:

There is an explanation for those walls but its a spoiler. Lets just say the walls were build before the Titans arrived in that particular area.

• Hogart says:

Fine. But that’s hardly an excuse for those of us who haven’t been that far in the story yet. Don’t call people retarded for wondering why they haven’t explained the obvious yet. Moreover, it still doesn’t adequately explain why they wouldn’t build more advanced defenses AFTER the walls were built and they were safe for a time, so of course some viewers will impatiently wonder about it until they get an explanation.

• Lex says:

Are you aware of what an insane feat of engineering that would be? 40 feet = ~12 meters. So say 10 meters. And 100 feet = ~30 meters.

Wall Maria was 3015 km long. Over 3 000 km. Digging a 10x30x3x10^6 = 9×10^8 m³. That is a lot of dirt. That is comparative to digging away a mountain. The wall itself is impressive. And since you can’t dig right next to the wall, you might undermine the integrity of it, what if the giants simply jump over it? Also keep in mind that holes erode over time. So overall, it would be impractical.

Rather than to dig it all around, they place strategic pits, but they are only so and so efficient.

7. Emma-hime says:

@Hogart:Fraid not Hogart from what I recall of the manga doesn’t go down that road.

8. longhaul says:

And as it shifts into battle shounen this is where I lost interest in the manga. I see this, and what comes later, as the author trying desperately to keep from writing himself into a corner.

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100