Posted by psgels on 23 May 2013 with categories: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

So I understand… some of the intentions behind episode five and six. Really, the logic behind the big picture is more than apparent: we needed time to show Ledo getting accustomed to this new culture he ended up at. We needed a chance for the viewers to get a good view of the Gargantia without any drama in it, until that squid came and Ledo had to stir things up again. I like the outcome, but the way in which they got there was a bit weird.

The thing is, that these episodes just weren’t interesting to watch. The creators really could have spent their time better there, instead of going on and on about the random fanservice. They could have used that time to show some geniune and everyday interactions between the characters. Instead they went with a beach episode and silly dances. Sorry, but that just feels shallow. Especially in two consecutive episodes. The creators can write more interesting episodes.

Episode seven thankfully returned to the real business, and I really like what happened. It’s a great twist that the Hideazu have pretty much already settled down on earth, they just chose not to act for now, for whatever reason. Whether they chose to coexist and have something against fancy technology, or they’re just waiting for the right opportunity still remains a question. It’s because of this that Ledo’s actions aren’t inherently wrong; he just acted really rashly.

Convenient heart attack aside, this episode was full of people clashing with each other based on a lot of different values, whether cultural or practical. On one hand there are the Hideazu who have a status as gods, then there is Ledo’s duty, that girl’s personal preference for not wanting to see the guy in a battle, the captain’s concern for the whole population of the gargantia and then there are these economists willing to take a risk for a possible treasure that will benefit the entire Gargantia in the long run. All of them clash together. That really feels like Urobuchi Gen again.
Rating: 3,5/8 (Enjoyable for episodes 5 and 6), 5.5/8 (Excellent for episode 7)

1. Ender says:

Before the ganboys of the show come to bash psgels for this post (you know they’re coming) ask yourself this: “Eeedlessly exploiting young females with provocative belly dancing and erotic, tete-a-tete, might-as-well-be lap dancing, Having voluptuous females with their assets busting out of bathing suits to ensure that a certain segment of the DVD/BD buying market lusts after those specific episodes. Just how much time did they waste on Ledo being chased about by transvestites? Was that supposed to be funny?” How do these really add any value to the story that you can’t find on some hentai site, or one of those “my sister smells like incest” type Light Novel turned into anime “masterpieces”

• YourDream says:

It’s complaints like this that I am unable to understand.
      The show is about a culture that lives on a fleet of ships. Swimming makes sense as a completely natural way to spend leisure time. To swim, people wear swimsuits. The fan service was tasteful, not over the top. It made sense, and wasn’t at all forced.

Also, there is no way at all that the belly dancing may as well have been a lap dance. It’s a dance. The girls danced. There was nothing erotic about it whatsoever. Simply because they wore revealing clothing, you suddenly denounce it as the lowest of fan service. That’s ridiculous.

As for psgel’s complaint that they should have showed more daily life activities and interactions instead, they already have. They already spent plenty of episodes showing the viewer the markets, the salvaging equipment and methods, the average work day, the kids playing, how they treat the sickly, etc. Episodes five and six showed two new things about their culture: with their free time they like to have a barbeque and swim, and they showed the sort of festival they host. When it comes to slice of life episodes, these events make total sense. There was nothing particularly boring about them (at least when it comes to slice of life episodes). If they went with your idea and rehashed what they’ve already shown it would be much more boring.

• -_- says:

God, you’re boring. Just stop talking.

2. jonas says:

“I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.”

You know how japanese writers love Nietzsche, and Nietzsche loved dancing, happiness and love. The fanservice is used to show us that to live and enjoy life, is more important than just survive.

“What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil”.

3. B0Mb0y says:

No, just no. You expect me to believe that in the whole Gargantia they could only get three underaged girls to do the dumb erotic belly dancing thing? That was terrible fanservice.

• jonas says:

In fairness, those three girls have already been established as very extroverted.

• B0Mb0y says:

Then aren’t there other forms of dance they can perform instead?

• jonas says:

Their dance was more joyful than sexy. It´s their costumes that are too sexy for 16 year old girls. The real life version is pretty tame in comparison: http://youtu.be/_yVJ09D4P-g

But it seems The Gargantia is very progressive about sexual freedom, episode 5 showed that they are ok with homosexual prostitution.

As I said above the dance is a celebration of life, and its pleasures.

“One evening went Zarathustra and his disciples through the forest; and when he sought for a well, lo, he lighted upon a green meadow peacefully surrounded by trees and bushes, where maidens were dancing together. As soon as the maidens recognised Zarathustra, they ceased dancing; Zarathustra, however, approached them with friendly mien and spake these words:
          Cease not your dancing, ye lovely maidens! No game-spoiler hath come to you with evil eye, no enemy of maidens.
          God’s advocate am I with the devil: he, however, is the spirit of gravity. How could I, ye light-footed ones, be hostile to divine dances? Or to maidens’ feet with fine ankles?
          To be sure, I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses.
          And even the little God may he find, who is dearest to maidens: beside the well lieth he quietly, with closed eyes.
          Verily, in broad daylight did he fall asleep, the sluggard! Had he perhaps chased butterflies too much?
          Upbraid me not, ye beautiful dancers, when I chasten the little God somewhat! He will cry, certainly, and weep—but he is laughable even when weeping!
          And with tears in his eyes shall he ask you for a dance; and I myself will sing a song to his dance”.

• B0Mb0y says:

You saw the way that scene was animated, with plenty of close up shots of the girls. Fanservice was definitely what the creators were aiming for, regardless of the meaning of the dance in-universe. The GIFs are everywhere on the net!

Honestly speaking, I’m a great fan of this show. By the fourth episode I was ready to recommend this series to my friends. But if the creators want to show what a fish out of water Ledo is in the Gargantian society, they could do it in one episode while cutting down on the pointless fanservice. Ultimately this show only has 12 episode, and its already at its halfway point.

On a separate note, glad to see ep 7 is back on track.

• Scruffy says:

While I do agree that the fanservice in ep 5 was unnecessary I think that people simply did not get what ep 6 was all about. Ep 6 was all about Ledo awakening to his desire for Amy. He’s becoming more of a person who does more than just eat seaweed bread for sustenance, and instead learning about eating for enjoyment and perhaps fall in Love. It’s trying to show that life is more than work and there is play in the world and play is important.

The dance scene with the three girls was IMHO perfectly done. At first we have Ledo chatting with the other two and then slowly his attention becomes fixed on Amy and the others dancing. I loved how they made the vocals slowly fade into the background and we get to see Ledo’s viewpoint of the dance (hence the odd camera angles). BTW, the dance was supposed to be erotic to some extent as they were dancing to attract guys.

The second dance was very sweet. It was less erotic and more showed Amy’s feelings for Ledo. It brought tears to my eyes.

• Silty says:

Agreed, they’re using fanservice for character development. That’s better than 90%+ of the fanservice out there. It wouldn’t carry the same meaning if they were dressed modestly while dancing.

List everyone, just because so many anime have been abusing human sexuality lately, doesn’t mean we should be avoiding it entirely. There’s a right and a wrong place for everything!

4. Arno says:

I 90% agree with with Psgels.

The beach episode was sort of ok because it integrated very well with the Gargantia technological universe, and also it fitted with Ledo learning to relax. However it was ruined by the trannies scenes, which were clamped on with the subtlety of a factory hammer.

The dance episode was really, really dumb and ugly.

Sigh… It’ so hard to recommend an anime to friends, even if it begins great you really have to watch it till the last minute to make sure there is no appalling disappointment.

Now they resume the peace spirit vs war spirit dilemma. It didn’t work very well with the pirates, because pacifism in front of a total invasion is not peaceful coexistence, it’s surrender and death. With the squid monsters it could work better, except you could also wonder why the galaxy forces with their superior knowledge didn’t think about that. Maybe there will be a satisfying answer later…

A good point though : I like how they modify the ending from one episode to the next.

5. TheUltimateReaper says:

I think people are overacting to these episodes, but I’ll also agree that they strayed somewhat and took me a bit by surprise. What I’ve found so far though is how annoyed I am with this society. I’m not sure to feel about our squids either, if it turns out that they aren’t inherently hostile and mankind fucked up in space I’m not sure how I’ll feel.

It’s beginning to feel pointless, but we still have some ways to go.

• Emma-hime says:

I think I like the idea of the hideuze being victims striking back on the federation humans that struck first blood, its a good comment on “human beings are monsters because they are” and its fittingly nihilistic/misanthropic.

• Hogart says:

Personally I think it’s a plot device that’s been done way too many times now to work in such simple terms. It takes more than just telling me humans are bad to convince me, and the show’s treatment of the pirates and its own internal politics has been half-hearted at best, so I do hope they don’t end on a bland note.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

What Hogart said.

I really liked the show at first but its on the threshold of just being grating. I wasn’t expecting anything big but I really hope things don’t just become bland.

6. Starss says:

Did anyone on the fleet remember that the hideaze were sacred creatures to earthlings? I was extremely annoyed by the way everyone seemed to forget after the discussion in the beginning which made it seem pretty damn taboo, saying the whole fleet was now unsettled and feared heavenly retribution. I feel that old couple praying to the heavens were about the only ones to get the reaction right.

• black says:

They said the whalesquids were regarded as sacred creatures since ancient times, but that doesn’t mean everyone think about them like this. It’s like what we think about God is not the same for everyone, some of us are really religious, but there are many who aren’t.

7. boa_sting says:

Trannies aside, was that secret-sauce barbecue fetch quest supposed to be funny? I don’t think anything in the second half of Ep. 5 worked at all or really contributed anything, but the first half was okay.

First half of Ep. 5 had (1) Ledo wondering about money and looking for a job, (2) Pinion further confirmed as a slacker and setting him up as the kind of guy that’d later want Ledo/Chamber for his get-rich-quick expedition, (3) a contrast of scenes of Gargantia, between what people do at work (mechanic lying under machinery, Bellows swamped in desk work, fishermen maintaining nets, etc.) with what people do on their time off with the engines off (lying around, fishing, playing cards, parties). I thought it was just fine.

Then pretty much nothing happened for an episode and a half. Pretty much all the ideas and things shown in Ep. 6 (aside from gratuitous dance scenes with really bad animation) were already in 5.

8. boa_sting says:

Oh yeah, one thing I thought was interesting about Ep 7 was the map behind Ridget’s head. There’s dry land, after all, just the higher parts of the Andes, Rockiess, Himalayas, and a few dots like Kilimanjaro in Africa, counter-clockwise starting from upper-left (the map seems to have south on top for whatever reason).

Do people live on land too?

Then again, what with the treatment of the pirates and other interactions, I’m not so sure they really know what they’re doing or have amazing things planned for the world in this show.

9. Suburbanbanshee says:

Anybody who’s been to an ethnic festival knows that most of the people who are willing to dance in public are prepubescent girls. Men don’t usually willingly dance in public without acrobatics, strength, attractiveness to girls, or large numbers being involved — (and usually they’re happier if everybody’s doing it, like one of those festival dances at a matsuri). And anybody who’s gone to a Maronite Catholic church festival knows that real ethnic bellydancing in public is not about sexy come-ons. It’s about joy of movement. Little kids, old women, girls.

The interesting thing about the Gargantia scenes was that they tried to blend this kind of family friendly activity, with showing male desire as a force that drives NEET men to find a job and a life. (And later, with the solitary dance being more arty and pensive, they seemed to be talking about viewing the girl as a person with her own interests and life.)

The important thing for the Japanese viewer was the stylized sleeves, which said that this was supposed to be a blend of bellydancing with traditional Japanese and Chinese dance forms.

10. Arno says:

Personally I have never seen a festival in any country nor any ethnic group that included half-naked underage girls dancing in front of adult male clients in a cabaret.

More specifically, although I have never been to a Maronite Catholic festival and I am ready to assume you are right about belly dancing, I fail to see any remote connection with the Maronite ethnic folklore here.

Last, I don’t know of any ethnic festival in the whole world that includes a girl dancing at the request of one man only, in an isolated place at night.

11. Mint says:

“When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”

Ledo is like an immigrant that refuses to accept the customs of his new country and tries to force his beliefs on other people.

Both the Galactic Alliance and the Gargantia are crapsack worlds. On one end you have the Spartans who live to serve the army and leave behind superior descendants. On the other hand you have people who managed to lead happy peaceful lives by adapting to the new world instead of forcing the world to adapt to them.

We don’t know how the Galactic Alliance started a war on the Hideauze. Humans might be to blame,but we don’t have any info to back it up. To be honest, it might not even matter. For all we know, “The Final Strike” could just be the final weeding of the Neo Spartan society.

12. -_- says:

It doesn’t really matter what any of you think, because the show is a million times better than any garbage that could spill out of your flacid, uninspired imaginations.

“waaaaahhhh booohoooo there’s gurls and they have boobies how horrible”

Sack the hell up. It’s an anime, and a pretty tame one for that matter.

• =.= says:

butthurt fanboy alert

• Silty says:

Yeah.. no. The show was surprisingly good and I was actually entertained throughout the whole thing (including all of 5 and 6), but avoiding the discussion of flaws is stupid.

• boa_sting says:

Also, I’m not one of those that was turned away by the fanservice scenes and whatever else they tried to show (other than perhaps the extreme convenience of somehow those three girls being the ones shown).

My point was that there was a lot of filler with not much effect. They could have condensed the useful material in 5-6 into a single episode or scrapped half the scenes / cut down on length to be able to stick in some world building or character development that actually contributes something.

It’s not that every episode needs to be dense on dialogue, but it doesn’t look so great when it seems like a beach ep and then some dancing ep were excuses for the storytelling to slack off and take a break too.

13. JaK says:

once again would say don’t like it don’t watch it :P its so much fun seeing butt hurt comments of people who don’t even like this show lawls

• B0Mb0y says:

On the contrary im sure most people here like the show a lot the show, its obvious this show has much better writing than most anime currently airing. Episodes 5 and 6 just threw us off with content different than what we expected. Every anime has +ves and -ves.

Also, this is an anime blog with a section for readers to comment. Naturally people are gonna express their opinions. By your logic, if you don’t like reading negative comments about our favourite show, don’t come here. Lawls.

• JaK says:

did i say anything even remotely like not liking reading the comments here O.o rather its comments likes yours and by the people above that make me laugh :)

• B0Mb0y says:

Likewise, neither did I or the people above even remotely imply that we dont even like the show. Even if we commented negatively regarding scenes from the 2 episodes, its abit of a stretch to say that we dont like the show itself.

I may be wrong here, but im guessing you dont watch the show, and just came here to watch the fight play out between the two sides…which you find amusing. Have some popcorn and enjoy the show. Comments like ‘dont like dont watch’ and ‘butt hurt’ dont really add to the discussion.

14. ServantOfPriss says:

I don’t like how the show strayed from the feel of the first three episodes. Everything was perfect: an interesting, engaging story with equally interesting characters that were engaging as well, with a very rad setting.

But the episodes have been a bore, fanservice aside (which I’ll admit, I somewhat enjoyed). Nothing advanced until episode 7 (which was a god send, by the way).

15. Arno says:

To reply about “don’t like it don’t watch it” above, literary criticism has a value per se and is part of the world’s cultural heritage. You don’t even have to justify that you like a show, you may dislike a show entirely, the only requisite is that you explain why.

I know the reaction “don’t like it don’t watch it” is frequent on the internet, nevertheless it is totally incompatible with common and established practices regarding treatment of cultural works by the critics.

After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100