Posted by psgels on 23 May 2013 with categories: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

So I understand… some of the intentions behind episode five and six. Really, the logic behind the big picture is more than apparent: we needed time to show Ledo getting accustomed to this new culture he ended up at. We needed a chance for the viewers to get a good view of the Gargantia without any drama in it, until that squid came and Ledo had to stir things up again. I like the outcome, but the way in which they got there was a bit weird.

The thing is, that these episodes just weren’t interesting to watch. The creators really could have spent their time better there, instead of going on and on about the random fanservice. They could have used that time to show some geniune and everyday interactions between the characters. Instead they went with a beach episode and silly dances. Sorry, but that just feels shallow. Especially in two consecutive episodes. The creators can write more interesting episodes.

Episode seven thankfully returned to the real business, and I really like what happened. It’s a great twist that the Hideazu have pretty much already settled down on earth, they just chose not to act for now, for whatever reason. Whether they chose to coexist and have something against fancy technology, or they’re just waiting for the right opportunity still remains a question. It’s because of this that Ledo’s actions aren’t inherently wrong; he just acted really rashly.

Convenient heart attack aside, this episode was full of people clashing with each other based on a lot of different values, whether cultural or practical. On one hand there are the Hideazu who have a status as gods, then there is Ledo’s duty, that girl’s personal preference for not wanting to see the guy in a battle, the captain’s concern for the whole population of the gargantia and then there are these economists willing to take a risk for a possible treasure that will benefit the entire Gargantia in the long run. All of them clash together. That really feels like Urobuchi Gen again.
Rating: 3,5/8 (Enjoyable for episodes 5 and 6), 5.5/8 (Excellent for episode 7)

1. Ender says:

Before the ganboys of the show come to bash psgels for this post (you know they’re coming) ask yourself this: “Eeedlessly exploiting young females with provocative belly dancing and erotic, tete-a-tete, might-as-well-be lap dancing, Having voluptuous females with their assets busting out of bathing suits to ensure that a certain segment of the DVD/BD buying market lusts after those specific episodes. Just how much time did they waste on Ledo being chased about by transvestites? Was that supposed to be funny?” How do these really add any value to the story that you can’t find on some hentai site, or one of those “my sister smells like incest” type Light Novel turned into anime “masterpieces”

• YourDream says:

It’s complaints like this that I am unable to understand.
      The show is about a culture that lives on a fleet of ships. Swimming makes sense as a completely natural way to spend leisure time. To swim, people wear swimsuits. The fan service was tasteful, not over the top. It made sense, and wasn’t at all forced.

Also, there is no way at all that the belly dancing may as well have been a lap dance. It’s a dance. The girls danced. There was nothing erotic about it whatsoever. Simply because they wore revealing clothing, you suddenly denounce it as the lowest of fan service. That’s ridiculous.

As for psgel’s complaint that they should have showed more daily life activities and interactions instead, they already have. They already spent plenty of episodes showing the viewer the markets, the salvaging equipment and methods, the average work day, the kids playing, how they treat the sickly, etc. Episodes five and six showed two new things about their culture: with their free time they like to have a barbeque and swim, and they showed the sort of festival they host. When it comes to slice of life episodes, these events make total sense. There was nothing particularly boring about them (at least when it comes to slice of life episodes). If they went with your idea and rehashed what they’ve already shown it would be much more boring.

• -_- says:

God, you’re boring. Just stop talking.

2. jonas says:

“I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.”

You know how japanese writers love Nietzsche, and Nietzsche loved dancing, happiness and love. The fanservice is used to show us that to live and enjoy life, is more important than just survive.

“What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil”.

3. B0Mb0y says:

No, just no. You expect me to believe that in the whole Gargantia they could only get three underaged girls to do the dumb erotic belly dancing thing? That was terrible fanservice.

• jonas says:

In fairness, those three girls have already been established as very extroverted.

• B0Mb0y says:

Then aren’t there other forms of dance they can perform instead?

• jonas says:

Their dance was more joyful than sexy. It´s their costumes that are too sexy for 16 year old girls. The real life version is pretty tame in comparison: http://youtu.be/_yVJ09D4P-g

But it seems The Gargantia is very progressive about sexual freedom, episode 5 showed that they are ok with homosexual prostitution.

As I said above the dance is a celebration of life, and its pleasures.

“One evening went Zarathustra and his disciples through the forest; and when he sought for a well, lo, he lighted upon a green meadow peacefully surrounded by trees and bushes, where maidens were dancing together. As soon as the maidens recognised Zarathustra, they ceased dancing; Zarathustra, however, approached them with friendly mien and spake these words:
          Cease not your dancing, ye lovely maidens! No game-spoiler hath come to you with evil eye, no enemy of maidens.
          God’s advocate am I with the devil: he, however, is the spirit of gravity. How could I, ye light-footed ones, be hostile to divine dances? Or to maidens’ feet with fine ankles?
          To be sure, I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses.
          And even the little God may he find, who is dearest to maidens: beside the well lieth he quietly, with closed eyes.
          Verily, in broad daylight did he fall asleep, the sluggard! Had he perhaps chased butterflies too much?
          Upbraid me not, ye beautiful dancers, when I chasten the little God somewhat! He will cry, certainly, and weep—but he is laughable even when weeping!
          And with tears in his eyes shall he ask you for a dance; and I myself will sing a song to his dance”.

• B0Mb0y says:

You saw the way that scene was animated, with plenty of close up shots of the girls. Fanservice was definitely what the creators were aiming for, regardless of the meaning of the dance in-universe. The GIFs are everywhere on the net!

Honestly speaking, I’m a great fan of this show. By the fourth episode I was ready to recommend this series to my friends. But if the creators want to show what a fish out of water Ledo is in the Gargantian society, they could do it in one episode while cutting down on the pointless fanservice. Ultimately this show only has 12 episode, and its already at its halfway point.

On a separate note, glad to see ep 7 is back on track.

• Scruffy says:

While I do agree that the fanservice in ep 5 was unnecessary I think that people simply did not get what ep 6 was all about. Ep 6 was all about Ledo awakening to his desire for Amy. He’s becoming more of a person who does more than just eat seaweed bread for sustenance, and instead learning about eating for enjoyment and perhaps fall in Love. It’s trying to show that life is more than work and there is play in the world and play is important.

The dance scene with the three girls was IMHO perfectly done. At first we have Ledo chatting with the other two and then slowly his attention becomes fixed on Amy and the others dancing. I loved how they made the vocals slowly fade into the background and we get to see Ledo’s viewpoint of the dance (hence the odd camera angles). BTW, the dance was supposed to be erotic to some extent as they were dancing to attract guys.

The second dance was very sweet. It was less erotic and more showed Amy’s feelings for Ledo. It brought tears to my eyes.

• Silty says:

Agreed, they’re using fanservice for character development. That’s better than 90%+ of the fanservice out there. It wouldn’t carry the same meaning if they were dressed modestly while dancing.

List everyone, just because so many anime have been abusing human sexuality lately, doesn’t mean we should be avoiding it entirely. There’s a right and a wrong place for everything!

4. Arno says:

I 90% agree with with Psgels.

The beach episode was sort of ok because it integrated very well with the Gargantia technological universe, and also it fitted with Ledo learning to relax. However it was ruined by the trannies scenes, which were clamped on with the subtlety of a factory hammer.

The dance episode was really, really dumb and ugly.

Sigh… It’ so hard to recommend an anime to friends, even if it begins great you really have to watch it till the last minute to make sure there is no appalling disappointment.

Now they resume the peace spirit vs war spirit dilemma. It didn’t work very well with the pirates, because pacifism in front of a total invasion is not peaceful coexistence, it’s surrender and death. With the squid monsters it could work better, except you could also wonder why the galaxy forces with their superior knowledge didn’t think about that. Maybe there will be a satisfying answer later…

A good point though : I like how they modify the ending from one episode to the next.

5. TheUltimateReaper says:

I think people are overacting to these episodes, but I’ll also agree that they strayed somewhat and took me a bit by surprise. What I’ve found so far though is how annoyed I am with this society. I’m not sure to feel about our squids either, if it turns out that they aren’t inherently hostile and mankind fucked up in space I’m not sure how I’ll feel.

It’s beginning to feel pointless, but we still have some ways to go.

• Emma-hime says:

I think I like the idea of the hideuze being victims striking back on the federation humans that struck first blood, its a good comment on “human beings are monsters because they are” and its fittingly nihilistic/misanthropic.

• Hogart says:

Personally I think it’s a plot device that’s been done way too many times now to work in such simple terms. It takes more than just telling me humans are bad to convince me, and the show’s treatment of the pirates and its own internal politics has been half-hearted at best, so I do hope they don’t end on a bland note.

• TheUltimateReaper says:

What Hogart said.

I really liked the show at first but its on the threshold of just being grating. I wasn’t expecting anything big but I really hope things don’t just become bland.

6. Starss says:

Did anyone on the fleet remember that the hideaze were sacred creatures to earthlings? I was extremely annoyed by the way everyone seemed to forget after the discussion in the beginning which made it seem pretty damn taboo, saying the whole fleet was now unsettled and feared heavenly retribution. I feel that old couple praying to the heavens were about the only ones to get the reaction right.

• black says:

They said the whalesquids were regarded as sacred creatures since ancient times, but that doesn’t mean everyone think about them like this. It’s like what we think about God is not the same for everyone, some of us are really religious, but there are many who aren’t.

7. boa_sting says:

Trannies aside, was that secret-sauce barbecue fetch quest supposed to be funny? I don’t think anything in the second half of Ep. 5 worked at all or really contributed anything, but the first half was okay.

First half of Ep. 5 had (1) Ledo wondering about money and looking for a job, (2) Pinion further confirmed as a slacker and setting him up as the kind of guy that’d later want Ledo/Chamber for his get-rich-quick expedition, (3) a contrast of scenes of Gargantia, between what people do at work (mechanic lying under machinery, Bellows swamped in desk work, fishermen maintaining nets, etc.) with what people do on their time off with the engines off (lying around, fishing, playing cards, parties). I thought it was just fine.

Then pretty much nothing happened for an episode and a half. Pretty much all the ideas and things shown in Ep. 6 (aside from gratuitous dance scenes with really bad animation) were already in 5.

8. boa_sting says:

Oh yeah, one thing I thought was interesting about Ep 7 was the map behind Ridget’s head. There’s dry land, after all, just the higher parts of the Andes, Rockiess, Himalayas, and a few dots like Kilimanjaro in Africa, counter-clockwise starting from upper-left (the map seems to have south on top for whatever reason).

Do people live on land too?

Then again, what with the treatment of the pirates and other interactions, I’m not so sure they really know what they’re doing or have amazing things planned for the world in this show.

9. Suburbanbanshee says:

Anybody who’s been to an ethnic festival knows that most of the people who are willing to dance in public are prepubescent girls. Men don’t usually willingly dance in public without acrobatics, strength, attractiveness to girls, or large numbers being involved — (and usually they’re happier if everybody’s doing it, like one of those festival dances at a matsuri). And anybody who’s gone to a Maronite Catholic church festival knows that real ethnic bellydancing in public is not about sexy come-ons. It’s about joy of movement. Little kids, old women, girls.

The interesting thing about the Gargantia scenes was that they tried to blend this kind of family friendly activity, with showing male desire as a force that drives NEET men to find a job and a life. (And later, with the solitary dance being more arty and pensive, they seemed to be talking about viewing the girl as a person with her own interests and life.)

The important thing for the Japanese viewer was the stylized sleeves, which said that this was supposed to be a blend of bellydancing with traditional Japanese and Chinese dance forms.

10. Arno says:

Personally I have never seen a festival in any country nor any ethnic group that included half-naked underage girls dancing in front of adult male clients in a cabaret.

More specifically, although I have never been to a Maronite Catholic festival and I am ready to assume you are right about belly dancing, I fail to see any remote connection with the Maronite ethnic folklore here.

Last, I don’t know of any ethnic festival in the whole world that includes a girl dancing at the request of one man only, in an isolated place at night.

11. Mint says:

“When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”

Ledo is like an immigrant that refuses to accept the customs of his new country and tries to force his beliefs on other people.

Both the Galactic Alliance and the Gargantia are crapsack worlds. On one end you have the Spartans who live to serve the army and leave behind superior descendants. On the other hand you have people who managed to lead happy peaceful lives by adapting to the new world instead of forcing the world to adapt to them.

We don’t know how the Galactic Alliance started a war on the Hideauze. Humans might be to blame,but we don’t have any info to back it up. To be honest, it might not even matter. For all we know, “The Final Strike” could just be the final weeding of the Neo Spartan society.

12. -_- says:

It doesn’t really matter what any of you think, because the show is a million times better than any garbage that could spill out of your flacid, uninspired imaginations.

“waaaaahhhh booohoooo there’s gurls and they have boobies how horrible”

Sack the hell up. It’s an anime, and a pretty tame one for that matter.

• =.= says:

butthurt fanboy alert

• Silty says:

Yeah.. no. The show was surprisingly good and I was actually entertained throughout the whole thing (including all of 5 and 6), but avoiding the discussion of flaws is stupid.

• boa_sting says:

Also, I’m not one of those that was turned away by the fanservice scenes and whatever else they tried to show (other than perhaps the extreme convenience of somehow those three girls being the ones shown).

My point was that there was a lot of filler with not much effect. They could have condensed the useful material in 5-6 into a single episode or scrapped half the scenes / cut down on length to be able to stick in some world building or character development that actually contributes something.

It’s not that every episode needs to be dense on dialogue, but it doesn’t look so great when it seems like a beach ep and then some dancing ep were excuses for the storytelling to slack off and take a break too.

13. JaK says:

once again would say don’t like it don’t watch it :P its so much fun seeing butt hurt comments of people who don’t even like this show lawls

• B0Mb0y says:

On the contrary im sure most people here like the show a lot the show, its obvious this show has much better writing than most anime currently airing. Episodes 5 and 6 just threw us off with content different than what we expected. Every anime has +ves and -ves.

Also, this is an anime blog with a section for readers to comment. Naturally people are gonna express their opinions. By your logic, if you don’t like reading negative comments about our favourite show, don’t come here. Lawls.

• JaK says:

did i say anything even remotely like not liking reading the comments here O.o rather its comments likes yours and by the people above that make me laugh :)

• B0Mb0y says:

Likewise, neither did I or the people above even remotely imply that we dont even like the show. Even if we commented negatively regarding scenes from the 2 episodes, its abit of a stretch to say that we dont like the show itself.

I may be wrong here, but im guessing you dont watch the show, and just came here to watch the fight play out between the two sides…which you find amusing. Have some popcorn and enjoy the show. Comments like ‘dont like dont watch’ and ‘butt hurt’ dont really add to the discussion.

14. ServantOfPriss says:

I don’t like how the show strayed from the feel of the first three episodes. Everything was perfect: an interesting, engaging story with equally interesting characters that were engaging as well, with a very rad setting.

But the episodes have been a bore, fanservice aside (which I’ll admit, I somewhat enjoyed). Nothing advanced until episode 7 (which was a god send, by the way).

15. Arno says:

To reply about “don’t like it don’t watch it” above, literary criticism has a value per se and is part of the world’s cultural heritage. You don’t even have to justify that you like a show, you may dislike a show entirely, the only requisite is that you explain why.

I know the reaction “don’t like it don’t watch it” is frequent on the internet, nevertheless it is totally incompatible with common and established practices regarding treatment of cultural works by the critics.

Customize
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373