Posted by psgels on 7 June 2013 with categories: Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)

At this point I stopped reading the manga, so here too I’m just blank. And it seems that I quit at a really awesome point in the series, because this episode again was really tense as it showed some hints about why Eren managed to turn into a titan in the first place, as well as hints to how the titans could be defeated and why Eren is special: his father.

People behaving illogically. That’s difficult to do, and yet this series is full of people in panic. In the past it went a bit over the top with how it portrayed the rich guys as egotistical bastards, but in this episode it was really good: Eren indeed is the key to beating the titans. However when you just saw that giant thing turn into him, all you do is want to kill him, yeah. I’m only not sure how Eren knew that he could activate this by biting into his thumb…

And really, the artwork for Eren’s new titan form looked gorgeous. Heck, the atmosphere here was just awesome in how the second episode just kept building up the tension by showing Eren’s inner struggles, and the background music really helped with that.
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. kazid33 says:

And again this is a chapter of a 7+ Raiting whit a 6. Why do you like more aku hana? is really that awesome? I saw five episodes so far and it bored me to hell.

2. TheUltimateReaper says:

I’m total fanboy over this anime. I don’t think I’ve been enjoyed something this much since I first started watching.

As for the thumb thing, he was recalling some lost memories, but I’m not sure whether or not he reached the basement, so it’s unclear to whether he learned how to transform or not. That scene by the way, completely took me by surprise. I was giddy in my seat. Great reactions by the characters as well.

3. WatcherZero says:

I didnt think he had been to the basement since the first titan attack, he was just remembering that his dad had told him to go to the basement for answers (and fondled the key before turning in the stomach) and that he would know when he needed to go to the basement… Turning into a Titan isnt normal for puberty so perhaps he will now be mounting an escape/expedition for answers pursued by the recon corps.

4. Sobakus says:

I don’t like this episode. These new guys were annoying. Especially that “Sasha 2”, wearing glasses. Showing how “fun” it is for someone to fight the titans (or how easy it is) destroys the concept completely. It makes Eren and other characters look like morons… And titans not as frightening anymore. I don’t understand the intention of author here… You kill the atmosphere, dammit! Worst Sningeki no Kyojin episode so far IMO.

• Jyang says:

Isn’t that the point though…? It’s showing that all the “skilled” people who has a chance against titans are outside the wall and NOT at Trost. Which is how they got into this nasty situation at Trost in the first place [where all the front lines died instantly].

And you’re comparing people who had years of experience killing titans to trainees who just got out of training camp.

And it wasn’t the intention of the manga author because the scene with Levi and them were actually from a later chapter. So it’s the director’s intention to put them in to introduce the characters.

• Sobakus says:

That boy, who looks like Eren’s twin brother, cannot have years of experience. He’s a teenager, right?

Also they doesn’t act like veterans at all. I haven’t seen anything special about them. They use the same weapons, jumping the same way, using the same equipment, acting like teenagers. That’s not the right way to introduce skilled characters.

Besides, that girl with glasses… The way her obsession with titans is shown is completely the same as Sasha’s obsession with food. They talk the same way, they look the same way… So there is the difference between Sasha 1 and Sasha 2? There is the difference between Eren and his “twin brother”? That wasn’t shown in this episode.

(need to read the manga and compare..)

• kekkanseihin says:

Just for your info, the mangaka said in some interview that Levi/Rivai/Revy/Rivaille/WHATEVER is actually in his thirties despite his appearance… of course this isn’t mentioned in the anime so far and I don’t think it’s even stated in the manga, but yeah there you have it, he’s not a teenager.

Furthermore I really don’t get the complaints. Them being different from the other characters was the whole point since it would be boring to see the same perspective and emotions endlessly. Plus we already knew there was this group of soldiers who were the most skilled among them all, so why is it suddenly surprising to actually see what they can do?

• Sobakus says:

If he’s in his 30s – that changes a lot. I’m fine with that. Thanks for the info.

• Meep says:

Levi is 5’3″ he’s just a manlet

• Anon says:

These are soldiers that have been in the scouting legions for years, and you want trainees that just finished training to be equal to them? I don’t understand the intention of viewers such as you who just want the main characters to be god powered straight out of training when there have been previous hardened veterans out there…

• Sobakus says:

I don’t want the main characters to be “god powered”… I don’t want to see other characters to be “god powered” with no apparent reason.

It was told they are cool and all… but I haven’t seen why yet..

• Anon says:

He’s the strongest out of all the soldiers, and the 2 are the ace of the scouting legions obviously they’re gonna be stronger than the rest, if they struggle to beat weaker classes titans what hope do humanity have in any of their struggles against titans?

You say you haven’t seen them do anything special since they use same equipment… but that’s what a veteran does, uses the same equipment but to a greater level, they’ve been shown for 5 minutes how much development do you expect them to have… And really acting like teenagers? Levy calmly dispatched the titans after his comrades fell, didn’t disagree with superior orders, what part of a teenager was this?

• Sobakus says:

Ok.. You’re saying he’s the strongest… The same thing was said in the anime.. But that’s just words… I don’t believe it until you show me why. There was other thing – one soldier said that Mikasa is as strong as 100 men. I don’t believe that either. Don’t you see how this anime has only “incredibly weak” and “incredibly strong”? And it never bothers to show us why.

I see why Eren is strong. They talk about his incredibly strong “sense of purpose” and you can actually see that in action. In every minute of any action scene with Eren you can feel that it’s there.. He has a purpose.

As for this girl with glasses… She was out of place. I don’t know what else to say about her.. I’m really surprised you’re fine with such a character..

• Jyang says:

If you really want answers, read the manga.

Maybe it’s difficult for non-manga readers to grasp the concept of these new characters introduced, but you’ll definitely see more of them later.

And address what you’re saying…[this is going to be long so I apologise. I just want to explain/clarify things since there may be some misunderstanding or anime’s lack of explanation as of date.]

“Showing how “fun” it is for someone to fight the titans (or how easy it is) destroys the concept completely. ”

“Ok.. You’re saying he’s the strongest… The same thing was said in the anime.. But that’s just words… I don’t believe it until you show me why.”

Umm…I’m pretty sure showing Levi and Hanji killing normal titans shows how skilled they are. They are very experienced since they’ve been in the Scouting Legion for YEARS [at least 5+ years *manga source*]. So Levi ordering the rest of the group to kill off one titan, while he takes care of 2, shows how strong he really is, and he also does it with ease.

I’m not sure if they specifically said in the anime, but in the manga they said that it takes an average of 30 PEOPLE to kill 1 titan. So anyone who can handle 1 titan alone is considered very skilled. [Which you can see in the top 10 of class 104].

I’m not sure what your expectations were when they told you he was the strongest…but that’s him right there. You will see more of him later in the anime.

“It is surprising because we have seen other “group of soldiers who are the most skilled” in the first episode. Their commander said that not even one of the titans was defeated yet. It really felt like they are undefeatable. But now… we have seen that there’s a girl with glasses who can kill the titans and laugh… That kind of villain can be defeated like that? They became just a random meat like in any other plain shonen series..”

1. They’re not the “most skilled”. They’re just the Scouting legion.

2. I don’t remember the commander saying that but I’ll take your word for it. It’s been 5 years since then. They have found out the weakness of the titans are at the back of their neck, so now they could actually KILL titans. Nothing contradicting here.

3. Hanji [glasses girl] on the other hand, I can’t explain her quirk without spoiling so go read the manga or wait for anime to get up to the point to explain her obsession with titans. Also, they’re trying to SHOW that these guys are skilled. So why would you doubt that she could easily kill a titan? It’s just proving how skilled she really is.

“There was other thing – one soldier said that Mikasa is as strong as 100 men. I don’t believe that either.”

Back in whichever ep it was, you see Mikasa taking down like 3-4 titans. By herself. Now if it takes an average of 30 normal soldiers to kill one titan…Mikasa easily killing 3-4 titans herself already makes her 90-120 soldier’s worth.

“Levy’s behavior itself was teenager-like. He tries to look cool too much (I mean anime creators tries too hard to show him as “cool” (without explaining first why)).”

Uh…ok. Levi “trying to look cool”, meaning, the “character TRIES to look cool” is different from “the authors try to make him look cool”. One is author making him cool, the other is the character itself’s behaviour. Author portrayal =/= Character behaviour. Whether or not Levi is cool is your opinion. But I don’t believe Levi was “trying to be cool” in any way. He’s being himself.

I…don’t understand why you associate being cool with being a teenager-like. So…I don’t have much to say about that.

——-
          tl;dr I wrote a lot.

Not trying to argue or anything, I just want to clarify things since I think it may be because the anime hasn’t had time to explain it. [Note: I can’t be bothered proof-reading, so forgive me and my bad grammar and spelling mistakes]

• Sobakus says:

I have started to read the manga, of course. And I’m not making any conclusions yet. I love the series (like 99% of it :)) and that’s why those little details bothers me so much – I don’t want to see my favorite shonen ruined by it.

What you have said here has meaning and I too want to believe that. … I’ll just wait for the next episode, while reading the manga.

Thanks for your long comment.

• Jyang says:

Glad you read my long ass comment xD Glad to know that you still like the anime too =D

But really, give the anime time to explain. They only have 24 mins for each ep, so not everything is going to be explained in one go.

• gan says:

@Sobakus:
      The girl with glasses (Hanji) will turn out to be a really cool badass later on, mark my words & you’ll thank me for that :)
      Well I kind of agree with you a little though…in the anime, they started out portraying her a little too clumsily (which is kind of forced & unnatural) as compared to the manga which perfectly captures her chara!
      Just wait & watch for more mindblowing-ness of this series!

• Sobakus says:

Exactly! That clumsiness was unnatural (and the second bad thing about it – she instantly reminds me of Sasha. Like it is one and the same character). May be the real problem here is the actress.

Ok. I’ll believe you for now. :) And I’ll thank you later, if you’re right.

• elveen says:

@Sobaku
      lol it seems you’re disappointed because the pros made the titans no longer as menacing as it used to be, but that’s exactly the point. Titans alone aren’t really that dangerous because they’re stupid and win simply by numbers. The dangerous ones are the “intelligent” ones and the “real” titans. So sit back and wait for the real deal to come. That’s when the chaos really started.

• Sobakus says:

Ok, I’ll wait for the “real” titans. Hope anime will have enough episodes to show them.

• Lex says:

I think it was mentioned in some episode that the mortality rate, for Scouting Legion, is at about 50% for first encounter. But if you survive that first encounter, then the odds are fairly well. 90% still die within 4 years, but still… a 5/10 chance followed by a 2/10 chance. You can roll it with a dice, if you are lucky. If I recall Levi mentioned 30% fatality rate during that mission alone. The ones that do survive become fairly proficient, is that so strange? They learn to keep their emotions in check and how to use their gear efficiently against titans, alone or in a group. However, any small mistake can still result in death. Or bad luck. They truly are dancing on the edge of death.

• Meep says:

you should read a bit of the manga. They are squad leaders of the elite Scouting Legion. Levi is considered the best of the Scouting Legion and Hanji is high up there as well. The Military Police are elite through rigorous aptitude testing and the Scouting Legion is elite through harsh survival of the fittest environment.

• animefan352 says:

Oh trust me, never at any point in this series do the humans have it easy.

Those two characters were introduced in this manner because they are important to the plot. Their experience and survivability are related and you’ll see later on if you haven’t already been reading through the manga how much they contribute.

5. Anon says:

@Sobakus

‘In my opinion 5 minutes is enough to introduce the character – I’m not talking about development.. Right now, there’s nothing to develop.’

Now I think you’re just hating on the series because it isn’t exactly how you envisioned it. They did just that, they introduced the strongest character, they showed you him dispatching titans with ease, what else do you want him to do? If you read the manga you’ll see him do a lot more, which adds to his veteran status when it displays his calm decisions in the midst of battles when even Mikasa freaks out. If you really think they can show how hes the ‘strongest’ in 5 minutes while introducing other characters, while at the same time complaining about why hes so strong and came out of nowhere, your either a troll or just ignorant. Mikasa was also noted by their training commander to be a genius of unprecedented significance due to her quick rise of prominence and combat ability, she better be worth quite a few average soldiers considering the average soldiers get eaten by titans easily.

Levy was still emotionally hurt when his close comrades die obviously he wanted to mock the titans a little if he has that much control over their fate, much like how the titans do it themselves to humans at times

Also Hanji, the glasses girl, being the same as Sasha? Are we watching the same series? The same sasha who cowered in fear against titans when faced up against them compared to one who thrives in titans presence? Because they have an obssession with something it makes them the same character archetype? Ok TIL people who seem to enjoy something are all the same, thanks Sobakus

You’re also saying there’s only ‘super weak’ and ‘super strong’, ok so Levy, Hanji, Mikasa will be super strong, the other characters that already died without killing a single titan will be super weak, what about Connie, Sasha, they are neither super strong in that they can take out multiple titans, or super weak in that they’ll get demolished by them, they’re in between.

During the first episode their 3D maneuver gear wasn’t even developed yet, so they had no known weakness, now think for a second, if you were facing an enemy that you had no idea how to defeat, or facing an enemy knowing its one weakness with gear properly equipped to do so, how would you fare? That’s the difference between their ‘unkillable’ status of the titans in the first episode and the ease of killing them by the 2 aces of the scouting legion with years of experience, as you may or may not have noticed, many years have passed since the first episode… And they never said they were the most skilled soldiers in the first episode they were just members of the scouting legion with little to no information on titans, of course they’re gonna be weak in comparison to soldiers with adequate info

Really if someone is said to be humanity’s strongest soldier, you’d hope he’d be able to handle a few random titans or humanity is royally fucked with no chance of fighting back, or would you rather have a series where no one can handle a single titan, so they’re confined in their walls the entire show because no one can kill anything despite years of anti titan development? Seems like a very exciting series to me

And yes 5 minutes was enough to introduce them, which is what they did, what you’re asking for is an explanation for everything which if you can do in 5 minutes, its gonna be shit development, and whats wrong with a titan obsessed character? There are freaks in every culture of society and you think its that unlikely that someone is obsessed over titans? I’m more surprised your arguments are this ignorant and baseless when your attacking the author for not explaining the entire backstory of 2 recently introduced characters

TL:DR

They are hardened veterans that have shown their worth through the years, and believe it or not humanity has made progress since they were attacked.

• Sobakus says:

“”or would you rather have a series where no one can handle a single titan, so they’re confined in their walls the entire show because no one can kill anything despite years of anti titan development? Seems like a very exciting series to me””

I want to see that “anti titan development” first.

“”There are freaks in every culture of society and you think its that unlikely that someone is obsessed over titans?””

Then show them as freaks!

“”Also Hanji, the glasses girl, being the same as Sasha? Are we watching the same series?””

Ok they are Sasha young and Sasha slightly older. Both dull comedic characters (at least for now they look like that).

“”Now I think you’re just hating on the series because it isn’t exactly how you envisioned it.””

No. There are things that this anime does good and there are things it does bad. Introducing new characters is the second.

“”your either a troll or just ignorant””

Oh… So I’m a troll, because I have an opinion which is not exactly like yours? … Have a nice day, Anon. Thanks for your comment.

• Anon says:

They did exactly that, show them as freaks in their brief introduction? The anti titan development was made over 10 years do you really want them to go over every little nuance on how they developed the 3D maneuvers?

Seems in your mind female comedic characters are all sasha types now because they act completely different but in your eyes they’re so same, note taken.

And introducing new characters because they didn’t explain their entire backstory and showing them dispatching titans with ease isn’t enough to show their prowess, ok I’ll just take note on which series does a character introduction that covers everything you wanted when they’re an established veteran, oh wait its not freakin possible in 5 minutes

You really wanted this to be a series where the humans are just stuck being beaten to death by titans? The show would end within 10 episodes if they can’t defeat simple titans slowly encroaching in

• Jyang says:

*Time to combine multiple posts in 1 go again yay*

“You’re right. That’s that disappoints me. I want this series to be Horror and I started to watch it as a Horror series. This episode wasn’t horror anymore. Because right now the one who’s scary is Eren-titan, but not the others. Levy and Hanji are to blame for that…”

I think your disappointment comes from expecting something that isn’t what the series is about. Shingeki no Kyojin [I had a debate with my friend who studies jap] about the meaning of the title and why it was translated as “Attack on Titan” and not “Attack of the Titans”. If it was Titan’s attacking, it would have been Kyojin NO Shingeki. But instead, it’s the other way round, implying it’s the humans who are trying to attack the Titans. [Now whether this is right or not, I don’t know, it was just our conclusion from the discussion/debate].

What I’m saying is, the series is not about “Horror”. Horror isn’t the main element. It is actually an Action, Mystery, Fantasy, Shounen with elements of Horror in it. It’s main aim [in my opinion], is not horror. The series isn’t intended to solely scare people. It’s a story explaining the world setting along with the characters and the mystery of these Titans. It’s about humans who have been forced into the 3 walls for whatever number of years, trying to fight back against these Titans who forced them there.

So I think you would enjoy it more if you don’t think of this as a “horror” series [if that’s what you are expecting]. It’s more an action, mystery, shounen series, which I think they did show those aspects really well.

“I want to see that “anti titan development” first.”

Ep 3. Everything they learnt in military camp was Anti-Titan training. Remember in Ep 4, Eren kept sprouting out that they’re finally ready to fight again against Titans. They trained for 3 whole years just for this. But they got slammed in the face and died so easily [ok specifically referring to Eren’s group]: 1. Everyone apart from Eren in their group is not in the top 10 [aka, they’re normal soldiers]. 2. Eren and the rest has absolutely no experience in fighting against titans.

If you think about it, everyone who SURVIVED in the Scouting legion must at least have some sort of skill to survive when against titans, even before they knew about the Titan’s weakness. If they were already good at surviving, surely it’s not hard to just hone their offensive skills. [Training to slash the Titan’s neck was also shown in ep 4 I think?]

“Then show them as freaks!”

Um…I’m pretty sure everything you said about Hanji is showing her as a freak. She is massively in love with Titans and kills them with a smile, so I’m not sure how much of a freak you expect her to be.

I also agree with Anon that she’s not Sasha #2, though they share the similar trait of being obsessed with one particular thing. Sasha is quirky in the sense that she is naive, asks stupid questions, can’t read mood, clumsy and not really a thinker. She’s kind of like a wild animal that acts more on instincts instead of anything else. It just happens that she’s also massively obsessed with food because of where she was brought up.

Hanji on the other hand, is actually very smart and sharp [which you will see eventually]. She’s just very hyper and active when it comes to Titans and very passionate about her work…which is *spoilers which will be explained later*. She actually plays a very important role in Shingeki, and without her, humanity is really screwed.

I don’t deny that they have similar characteristics, but I think you should really give Levi and Hanji some time for the anime to explain their roles in the story. At the moment, the anime is just showing their existence so that the viewers won’t complain about suddenly having characters popping out of nowhere or something xD Or else people will be like “Who the F are they? Why haven’t we ever seen them before blah blah blah”. There’s no way to satisfy everyone…

“There are things that this anime does good and there are things it does bad. Introducing new characters is the second.”

I don’t disagree with this, but I don’t think it was that bad either. The appearance of Levi and Hanji [I think I said before] actually was from a later chapter. I think for the anime…it’s either complain now or complain later. Personally I think they didn’t do that bad of a job. Again, give them some time to develop. At the moment you’re basing their whole character on first impression. Not saying you can’t have a first impression, its just that we [manga readers] know that they will explain more eventually so we just want to tell you to wait for it!

TL;DR – Sorry for another long massive post! As usual, I would suggest either reading the manga or waiting for the anime to explain more. This series is really more about the mystery of the Titans, and they’re NEVER going to explain anything really early on. This is those series where you have more questions asked than answered, but patience is the key!

• Sobakus says:

Right now I think was it really a good decision to show the story in chronological order? May be I wouldn’t have any complaints if they would use the same order that manga has. The characters would be introduced somehow differently..

I watched episode 10 and this old guy Pixis appeared again. This time he was good, unlike the first scene with him, there he was playing chess with some cheesy rich guy. I hope the same will apply to Levy and Hanji eventually.

___
          It was interesting to read how other people see the series. So long comments are fine. When it started I immediately decided that SnK is the best Shonen series I’ve ever seen. But now.. may be my opinion will change after I’ll see the last episode of it (especially considering the fact that before the series have started my favorite was Letter Bee :)). And again it will probably end with the anime’s original ending. Or nothing will be resolved at all… Let’s wait and see.

By the way.. SnK manga is good indeed.

• Meep says:

Titans are scary. You will get to see first hand the Scouting Legion lose 30% of their forces when they head out with Eren and the other trainees.

• Sobakus says:

Good to hear. But I would prefer 50-50 balance for most of the series. And the last battle for last 5-6 episodes with complete massacre, close to 90-100. :)

Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]