Posted by psgels on 7 June 2013 with categories: Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)

At this point I stopped reading the manga, so here too I’m just blank. And it seems that I quit at a really awesome point in the series, because this episode again was really tense as it showed some hints about why Eren managed to turn into a titan in the first place, as well as hints to how the titans could be defeated and why Eren is special: his father.

People behaving illogically. That’s difficult to do, and yet this series is full of people in panic. In the past it went a bit over the top with how it portrayed the rich guys as egotistical bastards, but in this episode it was really good: Eren indeed is the key to beating the titans. However when you just saw that giant thing turn into him, all you do is want to kill him, yeah. I’m only not sure how Eren knew that he could activate this by biting into his thumb…

And really, the artwork for Eren’s new titan form looked gorgeous. Heck, the atmosphere here was just awesome in how the second episode just kept building up the tension by showing Eren’s inner struggles, and the background music really helped with that.
Rating: 6/8 (Awesome)

1. kazid33 says:

And again this is a chapter of a 7+ Raiting whit a 6. Why do you like more aku hana? is really that awesome? I saw five episodes so far and it bored me to hell.

2. TheUltimateReaper says:

I’m total fanboy over this anime. I don’t think I’ve been enjoyed something this much since I first started watching.

As for the thumb thing, he was recalling some lost memories, but I’m not sure whether or not he reached the basement, so it’s unclear to whether he learned how to transform or not. That scene by the way, completely took me by surprise. I was giddy in my seat. Great reactions by the characters as well.

3. WatcherZero says:

I didnt think he had been to the basement since the first titan attack, he was just remembering that his dad had told him to go to the basement for answers (and fondled the key before turning in the stomach) and that he would know when he needed to go to the basement… Turning into a Titan isnt normal for puberty so perhaps he will now be mounting an escape/expedition for answers pursued by the recon corps.

4. Sobakus says:

I don’t like this episode. These new guys were annoying. Especially that “Sasha 2”, wearing glasses. Showing how “fun” it is for someone to fight the titans (or how easy it is) destroys the concept completely. It makes Eren and other characters look like morons… And titans not as frightening anymore. I don’t understand the intention of author here… You kill the atmosphere, dammit! Worst Sningeki no Kyojin episode so far IMO.

• Jyang says:

Isn’t that the point though…? It’s showing that all the “skilled” people who has a chance against titans are outside the wall and NOT at Trost. Which is how they got into this nasty situation at Trost in the first place [where all the front lines died instantly].

And you’re comparing people who had years of experience killing titans to trainees who just got out of training camp.

And it wasn’t the intention of the manga author because the scene with Levi and them were actually from a later chapter. So it’s the director’s intention to put them in to introduce the characters.

• Sobakus says:

That boy, who looks like Eren’s twin brother, cannot have years of experience. He’s a teenager, right?

Also they doesn’t act like veterans at all. I haven’t seen anything special about them. They use the same weapons, jumping the same way, using the same equipment, acting like teenagers. That’s not the right way to introduce skilled characters.

Besides, that girl with glasses… The way her obsession with titans is shown is completely the same as Sasha’s obsession with food. They talk the same way, they look the same way… So there is the difference between Sasha 1 and Sasha 2? There is the difference between Eren and his “twin brother”? That wasn’t shown in this episode.

(need to read the manga and compare..)

• kekkanseihin says:

Just for your info, the mangaka said in some interview that Levi/Rivai/Revy/Rivaille/WHATEVER is actually in his thirties despite his appearance… of course this isn’t mentioned in the anime so far and I don’t think it’s even stated in the manga, but yeah there you have it, he’s not a teenager.

Furthermore I really don’t get the complaints. Them being different from the other characters was the whole point since it would be boring to see the same perspective and emotions endlessly. Plus we already knew there was this group of soldiers who were the most skilled among them all, so why is it suddenly surprising to actually see what they can do?

• Sobakus says:

If he’s in his 30s – that changes a lot. I’m fine with that. Thanks for the info.

• Meep says:

Levi is 5’3″ he’s just a manlet

• Anon says:

These are soldiers that have been in the scouting legions for years, and you want trainees that just finished training to be equal to them? I don’t understand the intention of viewers such as you who just want the main characters to be god powered straight out of training when there have been previous hardened veterans out there…

• Sobakus says:

I don’t want the main characters to be “god powered”… I don’t want to see other characters to be “god powered” with no apparent reason.

It was told they are cool and all… but I haven’t seen why yet..

• Anon says:

He’s the strongest out of all the soldiers, and the 2 are the ace of the scouting legions obviously they’re gonna be stronger than the rest, if they struggle to beat weaker classes titans what hope do humanity have in any of their struggles against titans?

You say you haven’t seen them do anything special since they use same equipment… but that’s what a veteran does, uses the same equipment but to a greater level, they’ve been shown for 5 minutes how much development do you expect them to have… And really acting like teenagers? Levy calmly dispatched the titans after his comrades fell, didn’t disagree with superior orders, what part of a teenager was this?

• Sobakus says:

Ok.. You’re saying he’s the strongest… The same thing was said in the anime.. But that’s just words… I don’t believe it until you show me why. There was other thing – one soldier said that Mikasa is as strong as 100 men. I don’t believe that either. Don’t you see how this anime has only “incredibly weak” and “incredibly strong”? And it never bothers to show us why.

I see why Eren is strong. They talk about his incredibly strong “sense of purpose” and you can actually see that in action. In every minute of any action scene with Eren you can feel that it’s there.. He has a purpose.

As for this girl with glasses… She was out of place. I don’t know what else to say about her.. I’m really surprised you’re fine with such a character..

• Jyang says:

If you really want answers, read the manga.

Maybe it’s difficult for non-manga readers to grasp the concept of these new characters introduced, but you’ll definitely see more of them later.

And address what you’re saying…[this is going to be long so I apologise. I just want to explain/clarify things since there may be some misunderstanding or anime’s lack of explanation as of date.]

“Showing how “fun” it is for someone to fight the titans (or how easy it is) destroys the concept completely. ”

“Ok.. You’re saying he’s the strongest… The same thing was said in the anime.. But that’s just words… I don’t believe it until you show me why.”

Umm…I’m pretty sure showing Levi and Hanji killing normal titans shows how skilled they are. They are very experienced since they’ve been in the Scouting Legion for YEARS [at least 5+ years *manga source*]. So Levi ordering the rest of the group to kill off one titan, while he takes care of 2, shows how strong he really is, and he also does it with ease.

I’m not sure if they specifically said in the anime, but in the manga they said that it takes an average of 30 PEOPLE to kill 1 titan. So anyone who can handle 1 titan alone is considered very skilled. [Which you can see in the top 10 of class 104].

I’m not sure what your expectations were when they told you he was the strongest…but that’s him right there. You will see more of him later in the anime.

“It is surprising because we have seen other “group of soldiers who are the most skilled” in the first episode. Their commander said that not even one of the titans was defeated yet. It really felt like they are undefeatable. But now… we have seen that there’s a girl with glasses who can kill the titans and laugh… That kind of villain can be defeated like that? They became just a random meat like in any other plain shonen series..”

1. They’re not the “most skilled”. They’re just the Scouting legion.

2. I don’t remember the commander saying that but I’ll take your word for it. It’s been 5 years since then. They have found out the weakness of the titans are at the back of their neck, so now they could actually KILL titans. Nothing contradicting here.

3. Hanji [glasses girl] on the other hand, I can’t explain her quirk without spoiling so go read the manga or wait for anime to get up to the point to explain her obsession with titans. Also, they’re trying to SHOW that these guys are skilled. So why would you doubt that she could easily kill a titan? It’s just proving how skilled she really is.

“There was other thing – one soldier said that Mikasa is as strong as 100 men. I don’t believe that either.”

Back in whichever ep it was, you see Mikasa taking down like 3-4 titans. By herself. Now if it takes an average of 30 normal soldiers to kill one titan…Mikasa easily killing 3-4 titans herself already makes her 90-120 soldier’s worth.

“Levy’s behavior itself was teenager-like. He tries to look cool too much (I mean anime creators tries too hard to show him as “cool” (without explaining first why)).”

Uh…ok. Levi “trying to look cool”, meaning, the “character TRIES to look cool” is different from “the authors try to make him look cool”. One is author making him cool, the other is the character itself’s behaviour. Author portrayal =/= Character behaviour. Whether or not Levi is cool is your opinion. But I don’t believe Levi was “trying to be cool” in any way. He’s being himself.

I…don’t understand why you associate being cool with being a teenager-like. So…I don’t have much to say about that.

——-
          tl;dr I wrote a lot.

Not trying to argue or anything, I just want to clarify things since I think it may be because the anime hasn’t had time to explain it. [Note: I can’t be bothered proof-reading, so forgive me and my bad grammar and spelling mistakes]

• Sobakus says:

I have started to read the manga, of course. And I’m not making any conclusions yet. I love the series (like 99% of it :)) and that’s why those little details bothers me so much – I don’t want to see my favorite shonen ruined by it.

What you have said here has meaning and I too want to believe that. … I’ll just wait for the next episode, while reading the manga.

Thanks for your long comment.

• Jyang says:

Glad you read my long ass comment xD Glad to know that you still like the anime too =D

But really, give the anime time to explain. They only have 24 mins for each ep, so not everything is going to be explained in one go.

• gan says:

@Sobakus:
      The girl with glasses (Hanji) will turn out to be a really cool badass later on, mark my words & you’ll thank me for that :)
      Well I kind of agree with you a little though…in the anime, they started out portraying her a little too clumsily (which is kind of forced & unnatural) as compared to the manga which perfectly captures her chara!
      Just wait & watch for more mindblowing-ness of this series!

• Sobakus says:

Exactly! That clumsiness was unnatural (and the second bad thing about it – she instantly reminds me of Sasha. Like it is one and the same character). May be the real problem here is the actress.

Ok. I’ll believe you for now. :) And I’ll thank you later, if you’re right.

• elveen says:

@Sobaku
      lol it seems you’re disappointed because the pros made the titans no longer as menacing as it used to be, but that’s exactly the point. Titans alone aren’t really that dangerous because they’re stupid and win simply by numbers. The dangerous ones are the “intelligent” ones and the “real” titans. So sit back and wait for the real deal to come. That’s when the chaos really started.

• Sobakus says:

Ok, I’ll wait for the “real” titans. Hope anime will have enough episodes to show them.

• Lex says:

I think it was mentioned in some episode that the mortality rate, for Scouting Legion, is at about 50% for first encounter. But if you survive that first encounter, then the odds are fairly well. 90% still die within 4 years, but still… a 5/10 chance followed by a 2/10 chance. You can roll it with a dice, if you are lucky. If I recall Levi mentioned 30% fatality rate during that mission alone. The ones that do survive become fairly proficient, is that so strange? They learn to keep their emotions in check and how to use their gear efficiently against titans, alone or in a group. However, any small mistake can still result in death. Or bad luck. They truly are dancing on the edge of death.

• Meep says:

you should read a bit of the manga. They are squad leaders of the elite Scouting Legion. Levi is considered the best of the Scouting Legion and Hanji is high up there as well. The Military Police are elite through rigorous aptitude testing and the Scouting Legion is elite through harsh survival of the fittest environment.

• animefan352 says:

Oh trust me, never at any point in this series do the humans have it easy.

Those two characters were introduced in this manner because they are important to the plot. Their experience and survivability are related and you’ll see later on if you haven’t already been reading through the manga how much they contribute.

5. Anon says:

@Sobakus

‘In my opinion 5 minutes is enough to introduce the character – I’m not talking about development.. Right now, there’s nothing to develop.’

Now I think you’re just hating on the series because it isn’t exactly how you envisioned it. They did just that, they introduced the strongest character, they showed you him dispatching titans with ease, what else do you want him to do? If you read the manga you’ll see him do a lot more, which adds to his veteran status when it displays his calm decisions in the midst of battles when even Mikasa freaks out. If you really think they can show how hes the ‘strongest’ in 5 minutes while introducing other characters, while at the same time complaining about why hes so strong and came out of nowhere, your either a troll or just ignorant. Mikasa was also noted by their training commander to be a genius of unprecedented significance due to her quick rise of prominence and combat ability, she better be worth quite a few average soldiers considering the average soldiers get eaten by titans easily.

Levy was still emotionally hurt when his close comrades die obviously he wanted to mock the titans a little if he has that much control over their fate, much like how the titans do it themselves to humans at times

Also Hanji, the glasses girl, being the same as Sasha? Are we watching the same series? The same sasha who cowered in fear against titans when faced up against them compared to one who thrives in titans presence? Because they have an obssession with something it makes them the same character archetype? Ok TIL people who seem to enjoy something are all the same, thanks Sobakus

You’re also saying there’s only ‘super weak’ and ‘super strong’, ok so Levy, Hanji, Mikasa will be super strong, the other characters that already died without killing a single titan will be super weak, what about Connie, Sasha, they are neither super strong in that they can take out multiple titans, or super weak in that they’ll get demolished by them, they’re in between.

During the first episode their 3D maneuver gear wasn’t even developed yet, so they had no known weakness, now think for a second, if you were facing an enemy that you had no idea how to defeat, or facing an enemy knowing its one weakness with gear properly equipped to do so, how would you fare? That’s the difference between their ‘unkillable’ status of the titans in the first episode and the ease of killing them by the 2 aces of the scouting legion with years of experience, as you may or may not have noticed, many years have passed since the first episode… And they never said they were the most skilled soldiers in the first episode they were just members of the scouting legion with little to no information on titans, of course they’re gonna be weak in comparison to soldiers with adequate info

Really if someone is said to be humanity’s strongest soldier, you’d hope he’d be able to handle a few random titans or humanity is royally fucked with no chance of fighting back, or would you rather have a series where no one can handle a single titan, so they’re confined in their walls the entire show because no one can kill anything despite years of anti titan development? Seems like a very exciting series to me

And yes 5 minutes was enough to introduce them, which is what they did, what you’re asking for is an explanation for everything which if you can do in 5 minutes, its gonna be shit development, and whats wrong with a titan obsessed character? There are freaks in every culture of society and you think its that unlikely that someone is obsessed over titans? I’m more surprised your arguments are this ignorant and baseless when your attacking the author for not explaining the entire backstory of 2 recently introduced characters

TL:DR

They are hardened veterans that have shown their worth through the years, and believe it or not humanity has made progress since they were attacked.

• Sobakus says:

“”or would you rather have a series where no one can handle a single titan, so they’re confined in their walls the entire show because no one can kill anything despite years of anti titan development? Seems like a very exciting series to me””

I want to see that “anti titan development” first.

“”There are freaks in every culture of society and you think its that unlikely that someone is obsessed over titans?””

Then show them as freaks!

“”Also Hanji, the glasses girl, being the same as Sasha? Are we watching the same series?””

Ok they are Sasha young and Sasha slightly older. Both dull comedic characters (at least for now they look like that).

“”Now I think you’re just hating on the series because it isn’t exactly how you envisioned it.””

No. There are things that this anime does good and there are things it does bad. Introducing new characters is the second.

“”your either a troll or just ignorant””

Oh… So I’m a troll, because I have an opinion which is not exactly like yours? … Have a nice day, Anon. Thanks for your comment.

• Anon says:

They did exactly that, show them as freaks in their brief introduction? The anti titan development was made over 10 years do you really want them to go over every little nuance on how they developed the 3D maneuvers?

Seems in your mind female comedic characters are all sasha types now because they act completely different but in your eyes they’re so same, note taken.

And introducing new characters because they didn’t explain their entire backstory and showing them dispatching titans with ease isn’t enough to show their prowess, ok I’ll just take note on which series does a character introduction that covers everything you wanted when they’re an established veteran, oh wait its not freakin possible in 5 minutes

You really wanted this to be a series where the humans are just stuck being beaten to death by titans? The show would end within 10 episodes if they can’t defeat simple titans slowly encroaching in

• Jyang says:

*Time to combine multiple posts in 1 go again yay*

“You’re right. That’s that disappoints me. I want this series to be Horror and I started to watch it as a Horror series. This episode wasn’t horror anymore. Because right now the one who’s scary is Eren-titan, but not the others. Levy and Hanji are to blame for that…”

I think your disappointment comes from expecting something that isn’t what the series is about. Shingeki no Kyojin [I had a debate with my friend who studies jap] about the meaning of the title and why it was translated as “Attack on Titan” and not “Attack of the Titans”. If it was Titan’s attacking, it would have been Kyojin NO Shingeki. But instead, it’s the other way round, implying it’s the humans who are trying to attack the Titans. [Now whether this is right or not, I don’t know, it was just our conclusion from the discussion/debate].

What I’m saying is, the series is not about “Horror”. Horror isn’t the main element. It is actually an Action, Mystery, Fantasy, Shounen with elements of Horror in it. It’s main aim [in my opinion], is not horror. The series isn’t intended to solely scare people. It’s a story explaining the world setting along with the characters and the mystery of these Titans. It’s about humans who have been forced into the 3 walls for whatever number of years, trying to fight back against these Titans who forced them there.

So I think you would enjoy it more if you don’t think of this as a “horror” series [if that’s what you are expecting]. It’s more an action, mystery, shounen series, which I think they did show those aspects really well.

“I want to see that “anti titan development” first.”

Ep 3. Everything they learnt in military camp was Anti-Titan training. Remember in Ep 4, Eren kept sprouting out that they’re finally ready to fight again against Titans. They trained for 3 whole years just for this. But they got slammed in the face and died so easily [ok specifically referring to Eren’s group]: 1. Everyone apart from Eren in their group is not in the top 10 [aka, they’re normal soldiers]. 2. Eren and the rest has absolutely no experience in fighting against titans.

If you think about it, everyone who SURVIVED in the Scouting legion must at least have some sort of skill to survive when against titans, even before they knew about the Titan’s weakness. If they were already good at surviving, surely it’s not hard to just hone their offensive skills. [Training to slash the Titan’s neck was also shown in ep 4 I think?]

“Then show them as freaks!”

Um…I’m pretty sure everything you said about Hanji is showing her as a freak. She is massively in love with Titans and kills them with a smile, so I’m not sure how much of a freak you expect her to be.

I also agree with Anon that she’s not Sasha #2, though they share the similar trait of being obsessed with one particular thing. Sasha is quirky in the sense that she is naive, asks stupid questions, can’t read mood, clumsy and not really a thinker. She’s kind of like a wild animal that acts more on instincts instead of anything else. It just happens that she’s also massively obsessed with food because of where she was brought up.

Hanji on the other hand, is actually very smart and sharp [which you will see eventually]. She’s just very hyper and active when it comes to Titans and very passionate about her work…which is *spoilers which will be explained later*. She actually plays a very important role in Shingeki, and without her, humanity is really screwed.

I don’t deny that they have similar characteristics, but I think you should really give Levi and Hanji some time for the anime to explain their roles in the story. At the moment, the anime is just showing their existence so that the viewers won’t complain about suddenly having characters popping out of nowhere or something xD Or else people will be like “Who the F are they? Why haven’t we ever seen them before blah blah blah”. There’s no way to satisfy everyone…

“There are things that this anime does good and there are things it does bad. Introducing new characters is the second.”

I don’t disagree with this, but I don’t think it was that bad either. The appearance of Levi and Hanji [I think I said before] actually was from a later chapter. I think for the anime…it’s either complain now or complain later. Personally I think they didn’t do that bad of a job. Again, give them some time to develop. At the moment you’re basing their whole character on first impression. Not saying you can’t have a first impression, its just that we [manga readers] know that they will explain more eventually so we just want to tell you to wait for it!

TL;DR – Sorry for another long massive post! As usual, I would suggest either reading the manga or waiting for the anime to explain more. This series is really more about the mystery of the Titans, and they’re NEVER going to explain anything really early on. This is those series where you have more questions asked than answered, but patience is the key!

• Sobakus says:

Right now I think was it really a good decision to show the story in chronological order? May be I wouldn’t have any complaints if they would use the same order that manga has. The characters would be introduced somehow differently..

I watched episode 10 and this old guy Pixis appeared again. This time he was good, unlike the first scene with him, there he was playing chess with some cheesy rich guy. I hope the same will apply to Levy and Hanji eventually.

___
          It was interesting to read how other people see the series. So long comments are fine. When it started I immediately decided that SnK is the best Shonen series I’ve ever seen. But now.. may be my opinion will change after I’ll see the last episode of it (especially considering the fact that before the series have started my favorite was Letter Bee :)). And again it will probably end with the anime’s original ending. Or nothing will be resolved at all… Let’s wait and see.

By the way.. SnK manga is good indeed.

• Meep says:

Titans are scary. You will get to see first hand the Scouting Legion lose 30% of their forces when they head out with Eren and the other trainees.

• Sobakus says:

Good to hear. But I would prefer 50-50 balance for most of the series. And the last battle for last 5-6 episodes with complete massacre, close to 90-100. :)

@Travlos: Now if only someone will translate the side story manga aswell.
Happiness! New chapters of Gunka no Baltazar!
Bokusen
@SuperMario Thanks! I'll give Houseki no Kuni a try then. A lot of the series I thought would be good are disappointing me, so I might be following a low number of series this season & it'd be cool if Houseki turns out to be something I like enough to watch this season.^-^
@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 3 [The Balance Distinguishes Not Between Gold and Lead]

This week, Mahoutsukai moves into a slower pace. Showing off more of its world and delving a bit deeper into magic and how it connects to the world. Lets jump in. There are two main points I want to touch on for this episode of Mahoutsukai. The first being the actual main focus of the […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100