Posted by psgels on 26 July 2013 with categories: Gatchaman Crowds

Regarding the argument that this isn’t Gatchaman: I’d like to disagree, slightly. I have not seen the original Gatchaman or anything, but I’d personally like to see this as a modern rendition of Gatchaman with a lot of creative liberties taken to it. For those who say that it shouldn’t use the name “Gatchaman”, but instead just go with its own story, let me ask you this: would this show have gotten enough sponsorship deals if that were the case? I mean, this could have easily been away from Gatchaman and all, but sometimes compromises have to be made, and to me it’s the kind of compromise that doesn’t really bother me. Plus, this series contains a TON of homages anyway.

Anyway, Gatchaman Crowds. You can really see that this comes from the director and writer of Tsuritama: a bright and colourful world, combined with characters that are this really strange combination between idiot and straight-faced. I mean that lead girl at first reminded me a lot about Haru, but she moves more and more away from him. Haru only had his powers. This girl actually accomplished stuff, and she doesn’t take things at straight value. She doesn’t just attack stuff just because people tell her to. Not to be rebellious, but because she uses her head and observes.

In this episode Gatchaman also showed its themes: it’s about social media, quite a modern topic when you compare that to other series (a lot of series could take place in the year 2000 just as easily), hence the “Crowds”-part of the title. It’s about how social media continues to make a larger and larger part of our lives and most bizarre of all, they seem to be making the equivalent of Mark Zuckerberg the ultimate villain. Okay.

Having said that, I do hope that after this, Kenji Nakamura is going to work with another writer than Toshiya Ono. I mean, Toshiya Ono is a good writer who knows his build-up, but he’s also very childish and I do feel that Kenji Nakamura is at his best when he tackles mature topics and storylines. But yeah, with the two series that really set him apart (Bake Neko and Mononoke), he really was aided by a set of excellent writers, among others Chiaki J Konaka and Tomoko Konparu, who really know how to oo original plots like no other. The part where this immaturity was the most annoying was near the end of the episode, where that one person seemed to suggest that ambulances weren’t necessary with the use of that social network. And yeah, that is looking down on real paramedics. A lot.

Also, that one scene where the people fell from the stairs. What happened there? The animation was really clunky and it was hard to make out what on earth that alien-thingy did there.
Rating: 4.5/8 (Good)

1. Hogart says:

I find the MC utterly insufferable and the writing painfully trite so far. I want to like this, but those two things are killing the show for me.

• Armpits says:

Amen.. Only planned to watch 3 series this season and already had to drop this because of the MC. I don’t dislike the writing like you, but she is so annoying that i would rather sit through nails on a chalkboard than look at her, or hear her speak.

• Hogart says:

I just dislike the way the writing presents her. It’s trite to tell me that someone is “right” so all of their dangerous, obnoxious behavior is suddenly a-ok. It’s trite to tell me that aliens are kidnapping and possessing people, but hey, suddenly it’s not a problem because this girl says we should try to get along with them. I’m being unfair, because it’s quite early in the airing, but with an MC like that I’m not going to be very generous.

• ronbb says:

Agreed…it’s not about how annoying the MC is but how unconvincing the writing is — in particular about the MC. I am on the verge to drop this show that I originally anticipated as one of the best of the season.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

are we really watching the same show here, guys? Gatchaman label aside (can’t really talk on that since I’ve never seen Gatchaman), aren’t you overreacting over the MC? just from these 2 episodes, I have yet to see anything say she’s always “right,” rather that she just does things her way. why jump ahead of yourself with the cliches and use that to overgeneralize what you’re given? I say jump because you’ve made leaps from things like “one MESS seems different, let’s try communicating” to “all MESS are perfectly justified in their existence now” (unless you’re referring to something in episode 3).

• Hogart says:

I’ve admitted that I’m being harsh on purpose, but did you just miss the way she casually ignores everyone and just does what she wants to? And how she outright tells others how they should behave, then just expects them to do so? I may have jumped to a conclusion, yes, but then I watched episode 3 and, well, you tell me.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

Hogart, that’s exactly what I’m confused about. It’s frankly rather normal drama that shows up in a lot of stories (not just anime); people with conflicting perspectives on an issue try to direct the other towards what they believe is “right,” not what is necessarily right. And if they believe their respective positions are right, why listen to the other? it’s a pretty human reaction (not to say that crowds is even close to being a carbon clone of reality though). You say the writing and the MC are your main negatives on the show, but it really seems like just the MC, as the writing isn’t presenting characters any differently than many other shows. I don’t see any problem disliking the MC, but faulting other aspects of the show because the character is bad seems weird. it would make sense if both were bad, but imo, that’s not the case. Harshness is different from bias.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

@Hogart ah, my mistake. I misread the post, seems like what I said was exactly what you disliked about it.

• Hogart says:

Oh, I’m biased, too.. no argument there XD

But yeah, in this case the anime just really rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t usually get this ranty unless I care, though.

If I could articulate my thoughts properly, I’d likely end up saying much of what Deadlight did in his blog post.

2. nicheitch says:

I think the part with ambulance is to show how influential that Galax is in that universe. It’s a much more extreme version of the social media we have here. I thought that part fit well with the universe they are trying to convey.

However, the main character is someone I dislike as it’s going in the direction where she just makes everyone a better person by “being herself”.

3. Ebisu says:

It’s true the animation is still “clunky” at action parts, but this chapter was a lot better than the first. A part of the theme of this series seems to be: “Things can be quite different from what you initially thought” so I wouldn’t bet on who is the bad guy yet.

About the stairs, it was a bit off, but that’s a kind of censorship. It would have been quite extreme to show those three people falling all the way down the stairs with good animation.

About that immaturity, I think they portrayed reality there. There are people where accidents happen who like to give those kind of stupid and senseless comments in front of cameras just to look smart.

4. Kiavik says:

> I have not seen the original Gatchaman or anything, but I’d personally like to see this as a modern rendition of Gatchaman with a lot of creative liberties taken to it

> this series contains a TON of homages anyway.

Wow, you just reached a new level of stupid here.

• Hogart says:

How so? Perhaps he saw homages to other series, and just wants to view this as something barely related to the original (which he hasn’t seen anyway?)

• Kuroichi says:

Hogart, what’s the point of saying series A2 contains a ton of homages to series B1 to support an argument that series A2 is a true successor to A1? It doesn’t make any sense.

Anyway, its all in good fun. I’ve learnt psgels reasoning is kind of like Gae Bolg’s reverse causality – when he likes bad shows, he tries to come up with reasons (no matter how far-fetched) as to why it is a good show. Why not just admit you like a bad show and don’t know why :)

Not going to comment much on the show itself, other than it making the small list of shows I could not even force myself to finish watching the 1st episode.

• Hogart says:

I was just saying that it might be a non-sequitur, that’s all :)

I’d also say that I’d rather read someone trying to justify a difficult opinion for the sake of argument, then someone just saying “yea” or “nay”

But you’re right, people do tend to go overboard with this. It’s an aniblogger tradition of sorts :)

5. Deadlight says:

Honestly, the artwork is nice, but the animation is quite ugly in a lot of areas.

I still find this show too generic and shallow for liking so far

6. Superman says:

Gatchaman Crowds has nice art direction, due to this being directed by Nakamura and all, but that’s all this show has.

7. kero says:

People make a lot of stupid comments all the time, so I’m not surprised that someone would make those kind of comments.

I think we can draw real life exmples, such as how social media thought it had found the Boston Bomber but named a complete innocent guy, it’s about over estimating the power of social media?

@deadlights
    Disagree that it’s shallow, from what I can see, there are messages about not blindly following authority, not blindly accepting everything the ‘crowd’ has to say, while still showing the positives of something like Galax, and gathering people together.

In fact, when I watch Gatchaman and they talk of getting together after disasters, it suggests to me it’s about coping with the aftermath of the Tsunami, and the whole news about the public distrusting everything the government had to say and collecting sharing their own info

see this short piece on japan earthquake and increased use of social media

_

I hope ep 03 lives up to my expectations of this being a good series!

• Hogart says:

Just having themes isn’t depth. The way they’re presented matters. If you don’t explore those themes, just telling us what’s right and wrong, then you’re being shallow. So far the story’s done just that – dropped in this new girl who’s always right, doesn’t listen to anyone, and we the audience are just supposed to buy it because she was chosen by a god character, I guess.

• boa_sting says:

There’s still plenty of time left for something to go very wrong with the MC’s way of handling things. Or for at least some other angles or anything else.

Kind of agreed that nothing really of interest has been shown so far though (through ep 2).

The MC being annoying doesn’t really bother me; it’s more about how and if the world and other characters keep playing along with her.

• kero says:

Having these themes is a promising start, I don’t expect everything to be laid out within the first few episodes, we’ve got the whole series to explore. I think it’s too soon to judge that it’s shallow.

I want to find out more about how they will portray the use of social media, and hopefully we will get character development.

So basically they’ve got enough to hook me with the themes, and the art direction and the soundtrack.

8. YotaruVegeta says:

Sounds like you argued more for its use of the name than for why it should share the name. I did think that some deal was made to staple the name on this weird thing so people would check it out.

For me, that worked against the show. I would only watch more because I’ve matured and have an open mind. I see some things in this show that are good, despite what pushes me away from it.

I haven’t seen all of Gatchaman, but I’ve watched some Gatchaman. This is not it. This is some alternate alternate alternate world stuff.

9. Arno says:

I love it.

The girl is not really annoying like in badly written, she is voluntarily annoying, plain, stupid, goofy and off cast. She is a surrealist character, this show is surrealist poetry.

That is being creative.

• YotaruVegeta says:

Surrealist poetry? I feel like you just tossed an artsy term out to excuse a character for being unappealing.

What is “off cast”? Does that mean a societal reject?

10. Kuro says:

>I have not seen the original Gatchaman or anything, but I’d personally like to see this as a modern rendition of Gatchaman with a lot of creative liberties taken to it.

That’s stretching it really far. It’s like saying that you can have a Gundam show without any mobile suits whatsoever. In addition the Gundam remake would remove all politics and war from the equation. THAT is about how much difference Crowds has from the original show. Possibly even more.

>For those who say that it shouldn’t use the name “Gatchaman”, but instead just go with its own story, let me ask you this: would this show have gotten enough sponsorship deals if that were the case?

So now so long as it’s about making money it’s ok to destroy anything from the past and remake it into something else? Do you even see the kind of damage this is causing in other industries? I don’t mind remakes, reboots and other things as much as some people do but there is a limit. There is a fine line between respecting the original, doing something new with your own spin and shamelessly cashing in. Crowds pretty much disregards the original and uses the name solely as a vehicle to get sponsorship and money. That is NOT what this or any other artistic industry should be about. The fact Crowds seems somewhat competently put together doesn’t change any of this.

It’s just a bad precedent and I don’t see any respect toward the original creators in the show. I certainly don’t see many homages.

11. jonas says:

This is Gatchaman, but it is also Tasunoko´s celebration of the genre. Kind of like Karas, you can see that some characters are homages to the ones from the original series.

I like the main heroine, she solves problems by thinking outside the box.

12. Nyangoro says:

I would totally agree with everyone’s distaste for the main character who seems to be always right despite being obnoxious and going against everything that the relative professionals have worked towards so far. I can see the frustration in a character that other characters just can’t seem to say anything against, despite there being plenty of ways to do so. It was particularly annoying to have Sugune agree with her at the end of episode three, only for her to be like “lol, it’s not like it’s perfect” in that unintentionally smug way of hers.

However, there’s one thing that keeps me watching, that keeps me expecting more to this social media discussion: The presentation of GALAX behind the scenes. That curious ulterior motivation behind the system’s creation that lingers behind all the good is seems to be doing. It makes me feel like the series is going to look at the social media idea more closely, and that the only real reason for the hesitation by the audience is Hajime’s personality (which, yeah, it’s totally too much).

Everything in this series seems point to an attempt at discussing this idea of collective consciousness. My guess is that they wanted to present it in a positive way before pulling the rug out. Is the execution perfect? No, especially not with Hajime’s current effective status as a Mary Sue. But it’s shown me enough that I’m still willing to see where it takes it.

• Hogart says:

What makes me sad is that I have to fight myself to watch it because of Hajime. I too want to watch this show for the themes, to see if it has anything worthwhile to say in the end. That’s why I’m so opinionated about it :)

• kero says:

I really enjoy the show, and I currently don’t find main MC that annoying, however I think that for it to be a great show, they really need to crack Hajime. It will remain subpar if her character never develops and she goes from beginning to end acting in exactly the same way.

• anona says:

When Hajime and her senpai were on the train, there was a couple asleep or resting who were sitted in fron of an old man/woman (can’t remember) standing. Hajime said that maybe they were tired, or that maybe they’re sick, and that senpai shouldn’t just assume they were being unkind and inconsiderate. Near the end of the episode we see the same couple flirting around full of energy, so I think they were really just being inconsiderate in the train.
      I don’t think they’re saying that Hajime is always right. I think they’re just saying that the annoying person I don’t wanna listen to / Hajime CAN be right.

• Nyangoro says:

I think that’s what they’re going for too. I just think that the way they’re going about it is a bit trying for the audience.

13. Commenter says:

This show gets massive points for originality, much like tsuritama or C.
    I like how this is a very different show from what I expected. I expected a similar show to the original eighties show, but it quickly changed itself in the next episode. It “defeated” the monsters in a very clever way, basically stating that this show is not about capturing/killing aliens in the slightest.

If anything, I was reminded by Eureka Seven: Ao, which also strayed immensely from the original. I admit that these kind of sequels are what I desire from any series. I see little point in watching a show that’s just more of the same I already saw.

As for the writing, like in tsuritama, not everything is as it appears, and the main character who seems to be bordering on a mary-sue is actually not one. The couple at the end of the second episode was a good example of it. She’s just the ultimate optimist.

As for the gripe about immature writing: I didn’t think it was a big leap from how people would react in real life at all. The part that knocked me as unnatural was how people all gathered and helped the victims of this weird crime.
    Could it be that you’re angry because paramedics carry some special importance to you? What if Galax was said to be replacing ticket offices, or interim bureaus? Would you be as bothered?

So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.
CATski
Rakugo has a season 2? I watched ep 1 - 3 of season 1 then promptly deleted it. The loud "yankee" dude was annoying. And the anime was boring.
Oh man, I've been thinking lately of trying to start some kind of youtube channel. I did a few trial run videos. Its much much harder than it looks, didn't realize how nervy being in front of a video camera was.
*a declining art and rakygo halls are closing down
As the show continues to mention how "its declining art", that got me thinking of the modern day, how while things like tv and cinemas probably hurt attendances for rakugo performances, the internet has replaced theaters .
Ah, now I've watched it. It'll be interesting to see Yotaro's relation to sukeroku's daughter develop. By all intents he should be an irritating character and not as interesting a yakumo based on his personality, but I can't help but like him, example of a goofball character done right.
ElDlive is looking good
I haven't gotten around to rakugo's second seasons first episode yet =<
Just looking at masamunes female protaganist I want to punch her.
Vapid would be how I'd describe it, I didn't care about Masamune no revenge but at least there was some life to it.
Ah, suzuka I remember a friend telling me when I got halfway through the anime to literally run from it and not continue. I flicked through fuukas first two episodes and played count the cliches.
While I definitely got something out of Yojo senki's manga, I found the first episode easier to get through than the manga, in terms of pace and exposition.
@Masky, Fuuka chapter 135. Read and be amazed.
Ah sorry ._.; And wait, there is another twist later on? What
@Masky, Even if it's a crap show don't go posting spoilers on the chatbox.
Oh and that's just the begining, a really dumbass twist happened recently in the manga.
@Aidan: I'm away a whole day again so I'll be a bit late on my impressions.

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2, Seiren and Urara Meirochou

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 Short Synopsis: A former ex-con hopes to keep the profession of Rakugo alive. It’s good to see this show hasn’t lost it’s touch in between the seasons and having Yotaro do a recap of the first season through Rakugo was a particularly great touch. The drama is still excellent and […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Youjo Senki, Schoolgirl Strikers and Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu

Youjo Senki   Short Synopsis: A little girl named Tanya Degurechaff fights for the German Empire in World War One as the most dangerous sorcerer of the imperial army. However, she is actually one of Japan’s most elite salarymen, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, that was reborn as a little […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 12 [What Lies on the Opposite Shore – Black River (part 1)]

3-gatsu no Lion is back again in the new year with another stellar episode. Structure-wise, I think this is one of the most confident episode 3-gatsu no Lion has delivered for a while, as the show handled multiple tones and aspects in Rei’s current life in one neat package. This episode begins with a deep […]

Some Quick First Impressions: AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION, Fuuka and Masamune-kun no Revenge

AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION Short Synopsis: A boy and girl fight off possessed humans by stripping them of their clothes. Honestly I expected this to be a lot worse but it could turn out decently watchable if the rest of the episodes match this then this could turn out to be a good series. […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100