Posted by psgels on 8 August 2013 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

“Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?”

Okay, so I just caught up to Hunter X Hunter, episode 91. Overall at this point when I’m behind on so many series, it just isn’t practical to do monthly summaries anymore. That would be way too confusing and I’ll only do them again when I’m reasonably up to date with everything. However, I do have an opinion of this series that I want to voice, because this show still continues to work my patience. This frustration was at its highest at episode 90, and thankfully episode 91 made it a bit less.

But yeah, let’s get a bit into my state while I was watching episode ninety. Do you remember Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and how the pacing slowed down at the point where the series started to go into the material that was not in the first series? Well, Hunter X Hunter did that too. Yeah.

The difference obviously was that Full Metal Alchemist started with a really fast pacing, while Hunter X Hunter has always taken its time. Sure, it was a bit quicker than the 1999 version, but even then it took a year and a bloody half to catch up. The result is that ridiculously long fight between Gon and Knuckle that went on for waaay too long.

And sure, I like the Chimera ant arc. Emphasis on Chimera ants. I like how they’re growing, expanding and changing, and how they’re coping with the people who come and threaten them and how that plays out. I’ve gotten really tired of watching yet another training arc for Gon and Killua. I mean for god’s sake, how much more can you go with that? “What is this, Dragonball Z?”

Well, that comparison turned to be way more accurate than what I could have hoped with that turn that Gon and Knuckle’s fight took when they started talking about power levels. Power levels! Afterwards they started fighting exactly like what they do in small battles in Dragonball Z: they stand while their arms become a bunch of speedlines. It got even worse when in the next episode the king turned out to be a goddamn cell clone.

Seriously, if it wasn’t for episode 91, I would have probably given up. I mean I like building up and all, but you need to be interesting while doing that. You don’t need to be so shounen-esque as a shounen series. It was this series that showed us that in the first place. Just send Gon and Killua on a bus for an arc, just like what you did with Kurapika or something. Thankfully though, the fight was not dragged out any longer, and instead we got a satisfying conclusion that focused more on the aftermath. That was great, especially if that means that the two of them are going to be out of the picture for a while now.

I am noticing a very nasty trend though. So far, the new episodes have been like this: we first have this string of episodes that aren’t really anything special and dabble along, followed by one awesome episode, followed again by a bunch of boring ones. I don’t know whether I want to continue watching if that pattern continues. The big difference between this series and Space Brothers is that while both series are slow, Space Brothers remembers to be charming and endearing in every single episode, even though it takes bloody ages to get somewhere. I don’t have that with Hunter X Hunter.

1. Joe says:

As someone who has read the manga, let me just say that the king’s similarities as Cell are just in appearence (Apparently Togashi is a DBZ fan). His personality, ambitions, goals, character growth and arc are entirely different (Read as better).

• Joe says:

Also, the power level things only apply to Knuckle’s nen abilities. They are never used again for anyone else.

2. gedata says:

The so-called powerlevels areonly values used for Kunckles nen powers, and the King is NOT a cell clone. You’re getting worked up over nothing at this point now that the training arc is done with.

3. Lazy says:

I like HxH’s training arcs, the one with knuckle wasn’t any longer than the one with Biscuit during G.I. and it had the added bonus of great character development for both Gon and Killua.
    The nasty trend you talk about is just the characteristic pacing for a long running shonen.
    Yeah despite all the brain probbing and children killing HxH is still a shonen manga at heart.

• psgels psgels says:

I already found that arc to be too long, so I really was not happy when I realized that we were getting another one. The development of Gon and Killua really was its saving grace, but I have not read the manga, so I had no idea that that would happen during the training arc itself, which only added to my frustration.

The Chimera Ant arc really is interesting, but it just isn’t Gon and Killua’s story: they have nothing to do with it. I’d really wish that the story would focus more on the characters who actually matter.

• Lazy says:

Let me reassure you, Gon Killua Knuckle and Shoot (hell even Moreau and Knov) all matter for the rest of the Chimera Ant arc.
        Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

• gedata says:

Gon and Killua do have a stake in this, which is wanting to bring back Kaito, so this is partially their story too.

• Joe says:

Don’t worry. Gon and Killua play a part in the rest of the arc, but it is shared equally with all the other characters, both human and chimera ant. In fact, I won’t be surprised if we go one or two episodes without seeing them later in the arc.

• Joe says:

Also, Gon and Killua gets a lot of development in this arc too. Even moreso than Greed Island.

• asas says:

yeah I get your frustracion, I had it too when I was reading it, ON TOP of togashi having a 6 month hiatus during around this time in the manga, so I was right pissed for a while.

BUT

this arc turns out to be a masterpiece.

This is one of those arcs you’ll have to marathon once its over.

• KaZuHiRo says:

Yep. That was the most painful of all – Togashi announcing a six month hiatus IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FVCKING ARC.

4. gdgd says:

I am pretty sure there will be a lot of things in this arc that will make you want to drop it. But the ending of this arc if really worth the trouble.

The king is a character that really grows a lot. The way you see him at the beginning and at the end will be different.

5. Breach. says:

I agree with gdgd. I’ve taken a look through volumes 21-23–the points of the series that I found out of kilter with the rest–and while there’s a lot of good stuff in there, there are a few bits, chiefly near the end of volume 22, that could try anyone’s patience if not edited down. Even the most ardent Hunter x Hunter devotee could admit to that. The content of volume 23 could be divisive, in parts, and I think it would profit from an accelerated pace. I do believe, however, that everything after that is worth the persistence. I wouldn’t want to inflate expectations, though: I would only say that, as someone who shares the sentiment that the recent string of episodes are the series at its least elegant–reading the manga for the first time many years ago, the Knuckle stuff did strike me as uncommonly cumbersome–I do think the series finds its edge again, and keeps running from then on in.

6. gedata says:

Now I’m actually glad that you didn’t pick this up for blogging again. This way we we didn’t have to read your groaning every week since the training started. Believe it or not, this series has actually been going at a brisk pace, it was the manga’s fault with the pacing issuesm madhouse isn’t dragging this out, they’re just playing it straight.

• phinx says:

Can’t handle criticism of your favorite series? Yeah it’s not madhouse’s fault that episode 90 was boring. It’s just that the source material is shit.

• gedata says:

Where do you get of assuming this is my favorite anime? Nah, I’m not a big fan of blogs that make sing the same song over and over, I wasn’t a fan of how psgels was covering this series

• Breach. says:

Unless a series has ups and downs, though, it’s hard for one’s assessment to change. psgels’ reading of the series is consistent in that it’s up and down–but one can chart commonality in any giver’s evaluation of a series if it’s measured on that regard–and psgels’ song is not one verse: it’s several, different verses, but they have a rhyme to them. Short of being arbitrary, that’s as varied as you can get. I think that’s more interesting than the same verse time and again.

7. Mikey says:

Personally I think your concerns about the aura things are understandable, but I personally don’t think it would be anything like DBZ in the slightest. I think its going to be more like Biscuit’s chart from the earlier episode.

8. akar says:

It’s funny to see psgels take on HxH and compare it to Guardian Enzo’s( from Lostinanime blog)take on it, its like they watch two whole different versions xD, its like yin and yang! Stll I enjoy both ;)

• phinx says:

GE is such a fanboy over hxh it’s stupid. We can have an episode of nothing but nobunaga picking his nose and I bet he’d still fawn over it, “Togashi is genius HxH keeps setting the bar higher OMGZ”

• MCAL says:

Stop right there! Last time I checked this is psgels’ blog not LiA. If you are going to insult another’s opinion, you can do it on his blog.

• Gan_HOPE326 says:

I am a manga reader so maybe I can stand the training arcs better considering that I know what comes after, but I must say I usually agree with GE (the exception being Phantom Rouge, that I thought was crap). This specific training arc served as a breather as well. Knuckle’s numbers are not ‘power levels’ in the inconsistent and badly thought out way they were meant in DBZ, and the king being similar to Cell is nothing but an homage. Honestly, HXH is a shonen, but a well written one. If you have problems with the core ideas of a shonen, you probably won’t appreciate it. But if you like them, instead, well, HXH is much better than both Naruto and Bleach in this respect (and anime-wise, it’s better than One Piece as well, as the adaptation of the latter has gotten very slow paced and badly animated, while Madhouse is keeping good standards and a steady chapter-to-episode ratio, probably because they plan to end it after Chimaera Ant arc anyway).

• akar says:

I think each blogger’s review is a little biased, if someone does not feel as invested in the story or characters since the start of the anime, it will reflect in its review,the reason why i started reading psgels en GE HxH reviews was mostly because of the two different viewpoints: someone who watched the 1999 series and the other who didn’t. Even when some might have some problems with the pacing or the characters(I didn’t btw),i think MAdhouse still did a superb job on the adaption of the CA arc.

9. Trass says:

Not gonna spoil anything, but I think you will really like the king’s character once Komugi appears, psgels. (As well as Komugi herself). Just wait, I guarantee it’ll be worthwhile xD

10. Pafiume says:

I was SO mad when the fight didn’t end in episode 90, I was planning to take a hiatus from watching until the king was born. I’ve already read the manga up to the current hiatus, but over a year ago so it’s a bit out of my mind. Still, even if this training arc wasn’t any longer than any others it really dragged for me. Thank god it all wrapped up nicely in 91, I’m excited to see the rest from here. I’m going to agree and say I think Psgels will enjoy things to come if he chooses to stick with HxH.

11. XXL says:

Well, it’s a battle Shonen manga even if it’s more complex. What did you expect? Of course power levels are important. They are since the start of the manga.

12. Mikey says:

Could we dicuss HxH without insulting other people?

13. Wow says:

This episode showed more of how anti-shonen hxh is than it is pro-shonen

Sad to see that someone who can’t even see that taken seriously. But then again, i remember he’s also the one who whined about greed island because ‘he’s seen it before’

• Breach. says:

A piece of work may have a thoroughly admirable and avant-garde edge to it, but that edge may be dulled or made less appreciable by missteps elsewhere. One may not agree with psgels’ criticisms, but they are valid–others have voiced disillusionment with this particular set of episodes, for example, for similar reasons. It’s for that reason that psgels should be taken seriously.

14. asas says:

Psgels, When I got to this point in the manga, I was pretty pissed too! Especially with the “cell clone”

BUT

Togashi does this on purpose.

Let me just say that as the arc goes on, it will make you praise the dude. It is just really really well-written from here on out. Togashi is just laying the foundations now

15. K Robert M says:

I think much of psgels’ criticism is valid. At this point in the arc, things are proceeding as he describes. It’s been episode after episode filled with discussions about power levels and techniques. Now with the newborn King apparently being a Cell clone, he seems to be the incarnation of an unspeakable evil, with no psychological complexity nor subtlety. There’s certainly been nothing like Hisoka or the Spiders in terms of characterization. The three Royal Guards seem like stock characters out of an old horror movie, complete with melodramatic violin solos and experiments with the dead. I’m enjoying it, but I can see how someone else would find it tedious.

But as others have stated, and if you’ll allow me this one spoiler, this is all a massive head-fake. Either that, or Togashi simply changed his mind during the many years he worked on this arc. I suspect the latter. I don’t want to give away much more. I’ve already written too much I fear.

One problem is that if you’re not enjoying the characters now, you’re going to have to slog through many more episodes before before you see this change in direction.

16. VyseLegendaire says:

You’re not alone psgels, and I also think this show has been boring the past few episodes. Just not dynamic enough, too much time on a repetitive training/power-up arc. Once the show starts delivering some real character interaction and twists again, it should pick up…I hope.

• Zak says:

It’s STILL the prelude-phase of the arc. As far as I remember the arc started in the manga with a big “START”-sign in the shounen jump. All these filler episodes are nothing compared to the upcoming plot-twisting episodes. Read my lips: Togashi had the balls to put in the later chapters IN EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER A TWIST. IN EVERY, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. IT NEVER ENDED! It was nerve-wrecking to the maximum. You really couldn’t find a hint how this monstrosity would end until it was to late. And oh god, the climax was such a f_cking masterpiece. But it’s not easy to understand what Togashi wanted to tell with the arc. Please be careful and rewatch the whole arc again after it’s over. It’s part s_____ c______ and rebound-storytelling. It makes more sense in the context after you’ve seen it completely.

17. PremierOga says:

Dude, no need to complain! I don’t mind Hunter x Hunter going at a slow place, It’s one of the best arcs ever in anime period. Nothing wrong with Togashi taking his time with this one.

• fgchvybun in which says:

Well said. If anyone is unhappy with this anime then stop watching it. You will only miss out on some of the most intelligent strategies and fights in anime to date.
      Psgels: To say their training arcs are overdone is foolish. The enemies they are pitted against in this series are incredibly strong. They get stronger progressively as the series goes on. The writer has given HxH a real life theme by showing Gon and Killua constantly training to face these ever stronger opponents. You cant just fight people with more experience and strength than you in real life. Their training aids in bridging the gap between them and their opponents, adding realism to the anime. Its not like Naruto in which every enemy can “apparently” be defeated by sheer determination. Its not like one piece in which every main character can be attacked with a full strength attack and stand unscathed to win the battle. HxH brings a new kind a writing to the table. It doesn’t sell out to the flock of idiots calling for a fast paced anime with lots of fights. Its intelligent, imaginative, and fresh. If you want the same old crap go elsewhere for your anime.

18. John says:

Please please pick up HxH again, psgels. It’s currently one of the better series out there and you’d be doing yourself an injustice by not watching the rest.

19. Linkmstr says:

Like some people said, you should really pick this up again. Some of the best episodes is on the Chimera Ant arc. The best one, imo, is episode 131. The OST is just amazing and even more so in the end of the episode.

Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.
the two characters. Finally the battle soundtrack was simply wrong.

I am going to watch it because it is LOGH. And frankly after watching the new one I felt the fact that the old one was dated technical wise (but not in music). But at least on comparison of first episodes, the old one did a better job at giving depth to Reinhard and Keircheis.
well I watched the first episode of the new LOGH and then watched the first episode of the older version. The update in the art is good..but. If the old one was too talky, this one is too boom boom. I also felt that they did not sue the time well to establish Reihard and Kircheis well. Especially the removal of some lines that were in the first episode of the original, really took away a lot from

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

“I wallow in anime mediocrity”

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]