Posted by psgels on 14 August 2013 with categories: Random Anime Recommendations

Hey, i’m back with another list of recommendations. This one is just in written form because I don’t feel like getting everything edited properly. This will still be a list of random recommendations from the nearly 1000-series long list of the anime I have seen, and I’ll still write about the different series out of the top of my head (doesn’t really give the same improvised feeling, but whatever). With this, I hope to introduce a few of you to some series you didn’t know about.

Seikai no Senki II
Seikai no Senki is the third installment of the Seikai trilogy. You need to watch them in order, however all searons are significantly different from each other. Seikai no Senki is the third installment, and the focus is on politics. What sets this one apart is how intelligent it is, and it uses that incredibly well to use these politics to create a very exciting story. And this is in combination with characters who are really, really articulate about their thoughts (this is based on a light novel, and it shows!). The first Seikai seasons were perhaps a bit dry (though still really good as well), but this one knows to excalate perfectly.

Kuchuu Buranko
Kuchuu Buranko is this unique little series about psychology. Right when you see it for the first time, this starts out with its wacky colour scheme and over the top quirky style. Yes, this was done by Kenji Nakamura, the same guy who did Tsuritama and Gatchaman Crowds. It has this formula that you nowadays never see anymore: every episode we see a person with some kind of over the top psychological problem, and the main character of the series is a psychologist, tasked with solving these problems. At first this series seems very shallow, but as it goes on we see a very interesting overall picture develop, and in the end it turned into a series that actually changed my perceptions about the practice of psychology. Its a fun show to watch, however do note that it never shies away from trying to annoy you; however if it didn’t do that you’d miss one of the big points that this show is trying to make.

Shangri-la
Now here is an interesting one. This is basically the series that nearly bankrupted Gonzo. Of course things were already going bad for them, but what they did was they bet their entire future on this series selling well. And it became a massive flop. And it’s a shame, because personally, I really liked it, although it is a series with huge ups and huge downs. The animation varies between absolutely gorgeous and off-model. The story jumps from one place to the other and it has quite a few holes. But I loved how ambitious it was. The creators came up with this really strance concept of carbon trading, and all sorts of neat and interesting ideas. The characters are also a bit of a mixed bag, but there really is a lot of charm to them. A lot of people hated this series though, Do NOT watch this if you like to objecitvely analyze your series!

Romeo X Juliet
Ah, more Gonzo. This one didn’t work, though. This is their re-imagination of the classic Shakespeare story, and in true Gonzo fashion they just created their entire own story and made thankful use of creative liberties. It really could have worked, but unfortunately the story gets really bogged down in the middle by really a LOT of emo and angsting. At a certain point the story comes to a halt and never realy picks up again and it just remains boring for the rest of the airtime. A really big shame.

Jungle wa Itsumo, Hale Nochi Guu
Here is the thing with this series: if you love black humour, then by all means: do not miss this series. The humour in this seires is pitch-black; it tries to make the life of the main character, Hale, as miserable as possible. It’s a journey to crack his mind. And in the process this series produces some absolutely delightful comedy. I watched this before starting this blog, so I don’t have a review of it on this site, but I have never seen a series that does abusive comedy with the same flair as this show. Because while most other series that are so dark, they lack one thing: they don’t feel genuine. And this series does. The downside is that this is quite a long comedy, and it’s not always funny. There will be plenty of annoying scenes amidst the hilarity. And how many other series take place in the junble? Oh, and it’s also got one of those instantly recognizable openings.

Chaos;Head
Chaos;Head is from the same series as Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes, but apart from that it has absolutely nothing to do with them. It’s a story about paranoia and not knowing who you can trust while the fate of the world is at stake. Apparently the series really butchered the original source material it was based on, but meh. For someone who was unfamiliar to it, it was nice enough. It’s incredibly sloppy, I’ll give it that, and it’s also quite low-budget, but it has interesting ideas and interesting plot twists overall, but it’s also nothing special either. A nice watch if you’re in the mood for something paranoia-ish.

.Hack//Liminality
Tihs is one that my memory is very vague on, but what I remember is that I watched this after becoming a fan of .Hack//Sign. I was excited to see that there was more of the series with .Hack//Dusk and Liminality. While Dusk turned out to suck, Liminality had me intrigued, as it tells the background story of some of the concepts that were used in .Hack//Sign. I was young, and a lot of the dialogue went over my head, but thinking back, it definitely made an impression to me and it still stands as my second-favorite .hack//-installment after Sign.

Himitsu The Revelation
Those of you who followed my blog back in 2008 know that I was a REALLY big fan of this series. This series is based on the works of a mangaka who who has mastered the art of mystery. Her stories are the product of brilliance, and that also really shines through in the anime version. As a murder mystery, it knows exactly how much it should reveal. Every clue adds a tiny bit to the puzzle.The storie are all incredibly varied, and some of them can become really disturbing, but they are all chockful of creativity. Not to mention, the premise was amazing: after death, your memories can be downloaded and viewed, and they use that for murder victims in order to solve who killed them. Also, awesome soundtrack is awesome!

Bokura ga Ita
Here is an interesting shoujo series. I remember really liking it when I watched it. It supposedly had these really realistic characters and this very doned-down atmosphere for a shoujo series. The thing is though, that when I think back at it, I hardly remember anything that really captured me. Of course it was a long time ago and all, but I can only recall lots of angst (and I mean LOTS), along with nothing much happening for 26 episodes. So yeah, it’s probably very good if you like serious shoujo series, though I’m not sure anymore exactly why it was.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Hentai game adaptations that are actually good are really rare. Especially back in the days in which this series was released (2003). Most really are dull harems with no effort put into them whatsoever. What set this series apart though, was its sense of adventure. It’s about this traveler who goes back and forth between a bunch of creative worlds and has a bunc of creative adventures. It’s not great or anything, there are a bunch of really juvenile and annoying characters here, but when compared to the same old stuff that you usually get with these kinds of series. And I also remember that it had a really good ending: the destination was worth the journey.

1. AidanAK47 says:

Chaos;head?! If you are going to recommend that one psgels I say tell them to read the Visual novel as it’s executed better. Not to say that it didn’t turn into total crap 1/3 in but well…

Warning to those thinking of watched Kuchuu Buranko. The animation is very experimental. If bakemonogatari pissed you off with it’s animation this will annoy you. Still it does have some interesting aspects.

Romero x Jullet I actually remember being good. I recommend watching it in English Dub as they add more shakespeare-like lines to the delivery which just fits perfectly.

Shangri-la can be enjoyable if you ignore plot inconsistency…and general physics. Steel boomerang craving though a steel wall and then sliding down like it’s cutting though silk….still baffles me.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito I havn’t seen in ages. It’s alright I guess. Lacking production values though and the story gets a bit too convoluted. I suppose when including alternate worlds that’s to be expected.

2. dango says:

Shangri la is pretty good, if your willing to go along with the ride. Great adventure series, fun characters.

Kuchuu Buranko is interesting, but yeah experimental and pretty weird concepts. Not for every one.

Hale no guu..I agree dark humour, but hilarious.

Himitsu revelation good watch, if you like mystery series, its dark and targeted towards a more adult audience..great series.

Don’t watch romeo and juliet…

Still want to try hack series sometime though.

3. Emma-hime says:

Maybe that was the reason I got fed up with the first season of Sekai senkai psgels, it had a very laggy, acrid feel and not much stood out for me.
    Kuchu was just one of those things I ended up finding too “out there” to enjoy.
    On Romeo and juliet..only..I repeat Baz Luhrman should be allowed to do perfect modern re-maginings of that story and not rub me the wrong way. I agree it drag its feet in the middle but I’m too marriage to original text to properly enjoy it.
    Shangrila I watched the first half of but that economics loli character was the dealbreaker for me.
    Chaos head was one of those series that on first glance actually inspired me, had its slew of ideas but the characterization and animation were both awful.
    Harugu I confess I have seen one episode of, I laughed but have yet to seek it further.
    Bokura ga ita is one of my favourite manga of all time, really knew how to make use of its slow pacing to add punch to the drama.
    You pretty much summed up my thoughts on hack luminality but I actually enjoyed the manga for dusk and hated sign for how glacial and predictable it was and I had no gamers mentality for it. Dusk, however I did read when I was 14.
    Himitsu was actually the series that got me following your blog, intriguing, engaging dark, mature josei, little else like it today in anime too.
    Yami to boushi was confusing but I think that was part of the charm, I got caught up in some episodes and adored the gay undertones, good chara art too. Apparently Kaishaku who did Kannazuki no miko took inspiration from it.

4. dm00 says:

I enjoyed Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito primarily for its promise (which I think was only spottily fulfilled — a library full of books representing worlds, a journey from world to world searching for a lost love. It’s a very nice concept. Amazingly, this title has just been licensed in the US and is planned for an October release.

Oh, my, someone else who liked Shangri-la! I hope to read the novel someday, to see how much of the anime came from the books and how much was anime-original (I have seen the manga adaptation, and it is very different from the anime). I agree that Kuniko’s boomerang was oddly capable (and there was that scene in which she ran around on the wing of a bomber), but I loved Neo-Akihabara and almost everything having to do with Karen.

Kuuchu Buranko is based on a series of short stories about Dr. Irabu and his patients. The first collection has been translated into English and is available in the US as In the pool. Going by this first book, about 70% of the oddity of Kuuchu Buranko is Kenji Nakamura’s work. Where they coincide, the anime follows the plot and characterizations of the stories fairly closely, but the atmospherics are anime-original. I am tempted to import the English-subtitled disks from Australia.

5. Tomtom says:

These kind of posts are what sets this blog apart. Was looking for some things to watch. And y, I have seen Himitsu the Revelation. Been around here since forever, after all ;).

6. kero says:

ahh I fucking love Guu, went back to listen to the OP…

could not get through Romeo x Juliet, it just bored me

shangri la was interesting, but then I sort of lost interest and didn’t make it through to the end.

I might try himitsu
    and maybe maybe bokura ga ita if I find myself in the mood for angst and crying

7. Anri says:

Guu… so wrong… it’s right!

8. Avalon says:

Oh Guu…I truly have fond memories of that show.

9. Beatslars says:

Thank you for this post psgels. I thought Shangri-la was fantastic, amidst the issues of the show, it certainly DID have one interesting premise. I am checking out himitsu the revelation, I absolutely love mystery anime series, and this one sounds quite intriguing.

10. Commenter says:

Woah, you appreciate Chaos Head?

I do have some fond memories to that series, though it wasn’t exactly my favorite. The one thing that I got really late(which I think was why it wasn’t really succesful) was that none of the characters actually knows or tells the truth. The best you get is someone who think he/she knows what’s really going on.

I don’t think that translated well into a tv format.

If anything, I think this show needed some more time to develop. This show could have used the pace of Texhnolyze. Speaking of which, have you been watching this at all yet?

11. JaK says:

Bokura ga Ita really didnt end, they just cut the anime at a particular manga arc end point, theirs a whole bunch of chapters after this which narrate their adult life and also end the whole relationship mess :\

12. someloser says:

Banner and trapeeze were good. Romeo and Juliet were FUN at most, then the ending came about and fucking TREES came about and made everything retarded. If Shakespeare’s corpse is still intact and has a potential revolving capability, then I could probably dig up his coffin and use to charge my cellphone.

13. Malkuth says:

YamiBou and Liminality?!?!? You were really a different person back then ;)

Nonetheless, admitting that you liked (maybe still do) such anime, while being able to write a coherent reviews (however much I disagree with them), is what I value on your blog.

@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100