Posted by psgels on 9 November 2013 with categories: Galilei Donna

Oh… the fail. The huge, incredible fail. I was already flexing my muscles when I found out that this episode would be set in the Netherlands… but I didn’t expect that the creators got almost nothing right.

The only thing the creators got right was the names, and they spelled “voor” right.

Questionable but correct was the fact that it snowed. Heck, apparently it’s around January or February when the series takes place. We have periods in which the entire country is covered in snow. Way to go against the stereotypes, I like that. Although I do find it a bit weird that it suddenly out of nowhere started snowing. We’re not particularly colder than the rest of the world here and usually the snow just lasts two months, and even then it’s only a few days at a time. There’s also the way in which everyone just understood each other, but that’s something that all international fiction suffers from. Let’s just assume that everyone’s talking English.

And now for the gross inaccuracies. Let’s start with the architecutre: in the Netherlands, houses can basically be divided into two kinds: old and new. Old is basically the traditional style of housing, while the new is the calculated and well planned home, often built with reddish brick. None of the buildings shown in this episode fall anywhere close to that. I guess they were going for the old look, but they made one crucial mistake here:

Let me tell you, most cities in the Netherlands were built on swamp lands. When homes needed to be built, people would drive huge wooden pillars into the ground for the houses to rest on, because otherwise everything would just collapse on itself. This also meant that most homes couldn’t be built very large unless they have some very solid foundation, wihch is what most people couldn’t afford. Especially combined with the fact that it’s a country with a really high population density: especially in the cities there is not much room. Houses as huge as what we saw there: we only have that in the suburbs, and almost always they are built in a modern architectural style, not some oldish one that you see here. Even the largest houses in the old style are large because they are long. Not wide. When I go on a holiday to a foreign country, I’m always stunned by how big every building is.

Also, the church:churches in the Netherlands are mostly built in an old gothic style. All very old-fashioned, and a typical element of them is that the windows are slightly small. Not huge, like that giant stained glass window we saw here, nor do we have much churches in which the iron beams are plainly visible. Having huge open doors is also just a big no.

Then, the street view: our lanterns nowadays are much more modern: the old style you only see in historical centers like Amsterdam. Also, the creators cleverly managed to mask this with the snow and all, but Dutch streets are nearly always designed to be save: lots of traffic lights, very well defined pavements, lots of opportunities for bikes. I saw no hints of that whatsoever.

And here’s the big one: WHERE THE HECK DID THESE MOUNTAINS COME FROM!? Seriously? We don’t have those in the Netherlands. The single biggest hill we have is about 300 meters above sea level, and that’s in the southernmost part of the country. The other 11 provinces are pretty damn flat here. ESPECIALLY near the sea, which apparently this episode takes place in. Those fancy rocks you see at that beach? Yeah, the rocks we do have are really tiny. Nearly all of our beaches are sandy beaches, follwed by a few sand dunes.

All of this really made me wonder: why am I still watching this? Why am I still going for these kinds of series, when they’re so stupid that they can’t even manage the most basic of research. I mean, Kyousogiga and Samurai Flamenco: I can think of plenty of reasons to watch them. But this…. everything is just average. The drama is all pretty stupid. And I don’t just mean this series, but I’m starting to wonder this about every slightly “good” series. What makes them worth watching if the writers always put so little effort and thought into them?

I want to watch things that can challenge me, however I’m getting more and more the feeling that a lot of the writers are just idiots. Anime has over the past number of years made great strides in terms of animation, but in terms of writing… I’m afraid to say it but things have gotten downhill. There are only a few writers now who can deliver original screenplays, most adaptations are just done lazily. What really is good enough to really be worth your time and attention?
Rating: 2/8 (Awful)

1. ringlord says:

As said in this episode, it’s the beginning of a new ice age.

2. brianwuzhere says:

Amidst your frustration, looks like you added the same pictures to the end of the post as well.

3. AidanAK47 says:

90% = Bitching about inaccuracies about Netherlands.
    10% = Calling show average.

Come on, at least mention what happened in the episode a little. I like the death of the children at least…assuming they are truly dead. This show is not great admittedly but it’s still enjoyable.

4. Deadlight says:

Yeah, from episode 1, I knew Galilei Donna would be a load of crap

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

yup and so is 99% of the aanime bwing showed every season nowdays

“Anime has over the past number of years made great strides in terms of animation, but in terms of writing… I’m afraid to say it but things have gotten downhill.”

This, The writters have just gotten worse and worse.

5. Mikey says:

Well I’ve always though Galilei Donna was pretty bad regardless, but hey whatever gets people realizing that is okay with me.

• Mikey says:

Said this already… Samurai Flamenco is the anime Noitamina needs and Galilei Donna is the anime Noitamina doesn’t need.

Heck Donna is the anime that anime doesn’t need. Moe pandering disguised in an unusual story. But at the end of the day, it’s still moe pandering.

• Mazz says:

I’m surprised they would put out something so… average. I gave the show its fair chance solely because of psgels, and it wasn’t horrible (like I thought it would be), but this is far from the quality I expect from them. I mean, didn’t they give us great shows like Silver Spoon, Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, Anohana, and others. Comapred to those this is just bad. As for the writing, I admit getting things wrong like this in an anime never pissed me off, but I see what you mean, as it’s a talltale sign of lazy/bad writing. That makes me skeptical of this show and anything else it says.

• Mikey says:

They gave us Guilty Crown though.

Also Steins Gate wasn’t a Noitamina series. Robotics Notes was.

• Deadlight says:

NoitaminA has sucked since like 2011. Guilty Crown, Blakc Rock Shooter, Fractale, etc.

• Mazz says:

Yeah I just looked at the shows that were in the timeslot on wikipedia. Some great, some not so great. I assumed Steins;Gate was noitamina because I saw it’s inferior cousin robotics;notes on there.

• mds says:

well i have to disagree with you on BRS. although its SO not noitamina-ish

• Tassia says:

The thing is, they had a bunch of good stuff in 2011 and a bunch of bad stuff. Since they started airing 2 shows (except for the second half of 2010), it’s been about 50% shit and 50% awesome. So they’re giving us about the same amount of good series, just mixed with bad. 2011 gave us Hourou Musuko, Anohana, Usagi Drop, and Un-Go. It’s largely because of those shows that to me 2011 was the best recent year in anime.

• Emma-hime says:

I agree with he assessment Tassia is making about 2011 anime and Noitamina.
            I think we may though in the future see some more teenager-y anime though of Noitamina as guilty crown wasn’t a bad seller .

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

“moe pandering”

pretty much, finally people are begining to see this (this has been goin gon for years) and realyl It took me all of the time they mentioned “galileo” that I was like “yup, not watching this, gonna be crap.”

6. Vawn says:

Regarding your point about the snow. The world is on the verge of another Ice Age, so I see your whole argument with that as pointless. With the inaccuracies with the Netherlands, I can see your points, but for the average viewer who has no knowledge of that part of the world there should be no problem. I really don’t think this episode was really as bad as you’re making it out to be. At least from the viewpoint of the general audience.

• Mikey says:

Just because we don’t know it, doesn’t give the writers and artist any excuse to phone things in. That just insulting our intelligence. And considering what this show has done, that is saying something.

• nodbgp says:

And that’s why its lazy writing. It’s really sad that people think its ok to do these kind of things. Lazy writers shouldn’t be writers at all.

7. Emma-hime says:

If anything I find it far worse because it sends the wrong message to people who may not be in the know.
    This was an informative post.

8. Aegd says:

It’s a fictional series. They fly around in a huge robotic goldfish, and you whine and moan about the netherlands being portrayed realistically? The series take place in the future. Your country could have changed drastically, and once more… it’s FICTION.

Sure, the series is badly written, but that something that has been apparent for the past few episodes.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

oh the age old “it’s fiction don’t bash my favorite show waaah waah wahh”

I guess since it’s fiction you can just put mountains any old place (where there are none in the NON-FICTIONAL place called the Netherlands) yeah dude.

GO back and hug your pillows of the main female characters, your fanboyism isn’t welcome here.

• Emma-hime says:

If the show is to go for what Aegd said, then they should make clear and explain those in the future changes or really make something of it.
        This coming from someone who finds the show obnoxious and annoying.

• Spike says:

Yeah actually, you can. That’s what makes fiction, fiction. You can do whatever the fuck you want to do. They can put a Big statue of Stalin in Times Square if they feel like it.

These kind of things only get focused on when the story / characters aren’t that engrossing. If you have time to nitpick the setting / realism (looking at you Coppelion) It’s time to drop the show because it obviously isn’t for you.

This entire post was a waste of time, no one gives a shit what the Netherlands is really like, especially not the Japanese viewers who are the actual target of the show.

• Aegd says:

Precisely. You can nitpick about the setting in almost any show. If you look outside anime, you will find that many Hollywood movies are not even filmed on the location they are supposed to take place in. Hell, most movies are not even filmed in the same COUNTRY they are supposed to take place in. This is obviously going the be very apparent to anyone who happen to live in that country/city.

The post was a waste of time because it didn’t actually cover the show. It covered PSgels view on how his country is portrayed in a fictional anime setting… which makes no sense at all.

How about next time, maybe focus about what happened in the show?

• nodbgp says:

You don’t understand shit about what you’re talking about. It being fiction doesn’t excuse the fact that the writers didn’t make their research, they didn’t put mountains there to enrich/define the setting they put it there because they made a mistake. Being fiction doesn’t excuse bad/lazy writing.

Besides who are you to decide if everybody gives a shit or not about what Netherlands is really like? You may not give a shit, but believe it or not a bunch of people do, and I could bet that between those people there are some Japanese.

• Spike says:

Listen up shitbag, these scripts are put together on a weekly basis and mostly have a STRICT deadline of 36 hours to be written in order to get animation and design done on time. There is NO TIME to spend researching architechure and topography for fictional town in some non-existant place that set in the future in an alternate universe because frankly – it only matters to faggot nitpickers like you, who aren’t going to buy the show anyway from the Japanese creator.
            So yea, no one gives a shit what you think.

YOU don’t understand anything about how an actual anime works.

• psgels psgels says:

Whoa whoa whoa there. This was a very personal post, I understand that. I completely understand it if you disagree with me and all.

But putting the other party down with insults and pulling the “nobody cares about your opinion”-card? Come on, I expected better of you, Spike.

• nodbgp says:

Fuck you are way more stupid than I thought. That’s why a planning phase exists, hell that’s why mostly anime are adaptations. “We don’t have time” is no excuse for bad writing or bad anything.

And whatever people from the other side of the world are going to buy their product or not shouldn’t matter at all, the whole idea of making anime (or any other form of media) these days is making it good or interesting so people buy it, whoever and whatever in the world they are.

As for the 36 hours bullshit, did you read it in a interview or you came up with it by yourself. Anime make in such environments are usually Jump stuff who goes on for 100’s of episodes and even those are animated weeks in advance.

Writing is not something you do on a routine, if you need time to do research you’re going to go at a faster pace through the already defined plot so you have the time. So as far as writers go, if they need time to do a great job, they can make time.

Besides if time was such a problem, every single anime ever would have been a big piece of crappy from a writing standpoint, which obviously is not the case. So instead of making up shit use your brain.

So yeah you`re the one that doesn`t understand shit and whose mind can only think in 1+1 terms.

But seeing as usually you start your posts swinging shit I`ll just assume you`re a angry 12 year old and stop wasting my breath.

• Spike says:

Sorry Psgels
            But people posting are showing a complete lack of understanding of the medium. A show like this simply does not care about anyone outside of Japan or anyone outside of it’s demographic which skews younger. An early evening show with a broader demographic is more likely to invest in research and accuracy. Here it doesn’t matter if they fight in Alaska and there’s a sandy desert, it’s unimportant to the intended viewer and the writers.

So my post may have come off as too harsh, the correct phrasing is *the writers and intended audience do not care about you opinion* which is 100% true. I know alot of you have been watching anime a while so you must know some of this stuff by now.

• Soulofmen says:

No one gives a shit about you and your country.

• Aegd says:

In what part of my post did I ever say I even enjoy the show? It’s one of the worst noitamina shows since Guilty Crown.

The Netherlands being portrayed “like some other European country” is a minor problem. The show has MUCH bigger problems than some houses and streets looking like some German town or whatever.

What about how they derailed the entire story in episode 4, just because they wanted to tell some story about a doctor who built a robot to save his kid, and how he just happened to have found the map they needed in a broken statuette? How about how they threw in two stupid pirate side-kicks, just so they could get one of the main girls hurt to fit the contrived story?

What about the stupid generic characters, what about the stupid generic villains?

• Mikey says:

Just because a work is fiction doesn’t give an excuse for lazy and stupid writing. It took me like less than thirty minutes to properly research the place using google. It isn’t that hard. Stop making ludicrous excuses.

9. Nyangoro says:

While I certainly wouldn’t call Galilei Donna a great show (or even necessarily all that good of one, outside of a pretty decent sense of adventure), I really don’t think whether or not it’s an accurate portrayal of the Netherlands to be all that big a deal. Maybe something to call it out for, but not something to base one’s entire opinion of the show on.

10. Emma-hime says:

Oh don’t get me wrong. Donna’s direction is remarkably spastic from what little I watched no doubts about it there.

11. Vincehwr says:

I don’t understand it’s creator’s freedom to whatever the hell he wants with his own. Let me say the writeup for this episode was hell of an overreaction if I’ve seen one.

12. Emma-hime says:

To those who are coming down on this post can I put the question to you. If it was your country how then would you feel if it was misrepresented whatever the setting?

• Nyangoro says:

Not a thing.

I would only ever be mad at something like that if it was relevant to the story at hand. I can easily classify this as creative license for the simple reason that it doesn’t matter to the story’s premise or goals.

For example, if Ikoku Meiro no Croisee misrepresented France to the same degree (and assuming I was aware of it), I would have a huge problem with that; because that series requires a certain authenticity of its setting to work properly.

• Mazz says:

This too. If it was a key part of the story, I’d be annoyed by that. But not because its my home country, just because something like that would likely get on my nerves.

• Emma-hime says:

Ah-HA! Now that reminds me. Satelitte actually does have a French Connection so that bonus points to them.

• Mazz says:

Frankly i wouldn’t care, I’m sure america has been misrepresented many times. I just find it funny the writers couldn’t spend an hour researching what the place actually looks like. It can’t be that hard.

• DmonHiro says:

I’m Romaninan. My country gets misrepresented all the time. Nobody cares. Jeez, talk about nitpicking…

• Mikey says:

Honestly, people saying “this is nitpicking” seems like a flimsy excuse, because you actually don’t have anything to argue with the contrary. Psgels is using evidence. Where is yours.

• mulligan says:

I think the issue isn’t so much as “misrepresentation” but using familiar visual clues that the average audience could immediately pick up. This isn’t new – it happens often with so many cultural stereotypes portrayed in anime – China, India, any part of Europe. It could be argued as a budget problem or even endemic ‘laziness’ or ‘carelessness’. IMHO it could be a combination.

That said, when producers do have the right budget, visionary director and creative manpower, they can really do a fabulous job – Katsuhiro Otomo’s “Steamboy” is a great example.

I think it is a waste of effort to expect historical accuracy in television series like this (even if it is in noitamina slot).

13. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

Thanks for the fascinating post about architecture in the Netherlands. It’s cool to see that you have so much appreciation for your home land. I went to Amsterdam once but I don’t much about the Netherlands so it was interesting.

Also, you write very good English for a native dutch speaker.

• Huechi says:

Yep, it was an interesting read about the architecture.

And ha! psgels’ writing is better than that of many native english speakers.

14. Flawfinder says:

I don’t think anime has been going downhill so much as a combination of different trends and your taste changing over time. There’s a bunch of stuff I’ve seen in the past that I go back to these days and realize “yeah, that wasn’t very good”. And wasted potential isn’t exactly something new with noitamina, let alone anime in general.

I know Galilei disappointed, but I don’t think that’s an indication of any new downturn in anime. I’ve been burned in similar fashion with many anime in the past before it came. But that’s just me.

15. Mazz says:

@Spike This is to your comment about them only having a certain amount of time so they can’t research things like how a country looks.

I was looking at a few comments on Crunchyroll while marathoning Space Brothers, and was surprised when multiple people commented that he places the cast visited were actually real places (one episode, they visited a steakhouse I believe, and a few people confirmed its based on a popular on in houston or something). And it wasn’t that one time, it happens multiple times in Space brothers (trust me, I’ve read quite a few of those comments lol). If space brothers can do it, why can’t this show? Granted, this was a manga first and all, but it doesn’t change the fact that SOMEBODY went out of their way to look this stuff up, and I give props to shows that go the extra mile.

• Nyangoro says:

The extra effort is very appreciated, but I wouldn’t harp on a show like Galilei Donna too harshly for an inaccurate portrayal of a setting.

Let’s remember that Space Brothers is designed to be more grounded in reality than a prodigious girl who can create a goldfish-shaped vessel complete with holographic AI and a minigun.

• mezzoguitar says:

They don’t even have to go that far. Just looking up basic architecture and topography on the internet and getting an “idea” of what the Netherlands looks like would be preferable to dreaming up a fantasy European world from scratch.

• Spike says:

Comparing an anime based on a monthly manga to an original work written week by week is apples to oranges. The audiences of these 2 shows is apples to oranges. The settings’ importance is apples to ornages.

Texas space Center is an important part of the show so having Houston as realistic and accurate as possible is important. Gal Donna is your basic – go to a place, retrieve X, go to next place. The place is not important it is simply a device to move the plot along. I didn’t hear anyone crying about a misportrayed Italy the past few episodes… It’s simply Psgels getting worked up about something he’s familiar with and frankly – doesn’t matter.

• Mikey says:

Honestly, while you’re right about manga and original anime being completely different, that doesn’t mean we give Galilei Donna a free pass here. And it doesn’t matter if no one was complaining about Italy, two wrongs don’t make a right. The fact that it literally can take an hour of ones time to research and that clearly none was done is quite frankly unacceptable. It’s lazy and stupid and psgels has every right to complain about it. And it being fiction doesn’t give it a free pass either.

16. kero says:

learning lots about netherland :)

17. Emma-hime says:

Its hilarious..that this is the post that has me planning a holiday to Holland.

18. Cytl says:

This may be one of the best posts about the Netherlands and one of the worst episode reviews I’ve ever read.

19. Aline says:

what the fuck? i’m dutch and this is bullshit. As Aegd said, they fly around in a huge robotic goldfish, and you whine and moan about the netherlands being portrayed realistically? wasn’t expecting that.

20. Silverbeard says:

Probably the most hilarious psgels review I have read in the last few years.

21. sigh says:

So this is what autism is like, huh?

• Mikey says:

I never knew what a horrible excuse for a human was until you came along. Congratulations. You have now insulted everybody with autism.

• Shippoyasha says:

Not really. Getting obsessive about a singular topic can be a sign of autistic tendencies. It is what it is. It’s not meant to be an insult on that alone.

• Mikey says:

You honestly expect me to believe that sigh didn’t use that as an insult and was actually concerned that psgels might have autism? Right…

• Emma-hime says:

Speaking as someone who actually is autistic being compelled to do/say things and becoming driven on getting something done a specific way/in a certain time limit/before doing something else or latching onto things or ideas is a massive part of it. Can lead to a sense of feeling incomplete, unsatisfied, lack of worth, loss. In some cases when a fixation goes challenged or unmet it can lead to physical manifestations.
            Some autistics have difficulties with being touched, in social/relationship situations or being passionette/emotional about things. Generally will only get pissed off if they can’t satisfy something they feel they have no choice but to do.
            Hopefully that clears a bit up about autism.

• Emma-hime says:

Also another possible trait of the confusion part of autism is confusion about what your supposed to be as well

• Emma-hime says:

Additionally prudishness can be associated with Autism.
            I’m not really offended by the comment though. If someone makes an insult like that then surely they simply don’t count and why would an insult from a person who doesn’t count have any baring on me?

22. Isotopesam says:

I hated this show from day one.

• MisaoFan says:

I liked this anime, it’s not horrible but with the way it turns out now, my expectations gets betrayed as it continues on despite the fact I have hopes that the show have potential thanks to the unusual direction based on episode one alone.

23. notintheface11 says:

psgels whines about shows like this, wishing for something that can challenge him, and then poo-poos series like monogatari. Maybe you should quit letting your hipster-ism get in the way of your sensibilities and open up a bit more.

That said, I feel the same way about modern anime writing. So many series this season that had massive potential and then just kind of fell flat. I’ve been watching a lot of older stuff (and by older I mean pre-2009). I wouldn’t mind seeing you check out older shows that might have been missed or came out before you began blogging. I noticed you don’t have Suzumiya Haruhi in your blog history. Check it out! I’m sure I’m not the first one to suggest it to you.

• Firechick says:

He did write a review of it.

• notintheface11 says:

I see it now. I was searching for it by its Japanese name. That was painful to read. Like I said in my last post. Psgels doesn’t have anything to complain about if he’s going to turn up his nose at a series with good writing just because it’s well-loved. He even admits it in his review. Then you go around and praise series with awful writing and horribly flat characters like Birdy the Mighty and Noein. It makes no sense.

24. Nyangoro says:

Honestly, the biggest problem with Galilei Donna is character development, which feels a bit rushed for the girls and non-existent for the rest thanks to a cast that is way too large for it’s own good.

This show is 11 episodes long; and it’s already seen fit to have the three sisters, the Galileo nerd, the sisters’ parents who are operating separately, the underground criminal organization (or whatever vague sort of establishment it is), the front for the criminal organization, the pirates, and all the new characters they’ve been revealing for their weekly stories on top of that.

It’s way too cluttered.

25. Namaewoinai says:

I feel your pain about your review (and yet funny!) but i don’t truly mind about the inaccuracy about that country so much or what so ever…
    i just focusing on the plot…that’s all!

Sure this Show (or perhaps this episode only) has technical disappointments and difficulties. but i don’t think i despise it a lot more than any other show this season! JUST ASKING!

26. TheUltimateReaper says:

People are actually watching this?

27. Rachael says:

Wow, I didn’t realize there were so many inaccuracies. Personally I thought the episode itself was about average, but this makes me rethink it a little. Thanks for the review! ^__^

28. DaveE says:

I don’t know why you people hate Galilei Donna so much
    It’s actually the series i look forward the most this season
    It got that sense of adventure, neat character designs, with engaging battle(and cute AI) and a very neat soundtrack. It may not have the most groundbreaking ideas each week, but the story in a bigger scope has a great potential. Give it a rest, stop over analyzing, and try to enjoy the adventure guys. Geez

29. Sylpher says:

I absolutely loved your post! I do understand the complaints saying that the review content is inappropriate since you hardly cover the episode at all, but personally I agree with you: Screw this boring show and let’s talk about more interesting stuff like the Dutch streetscape the series addresses. Also, I don’t think the inaccurate portrayal of the Netherlands is the main reason of your dislike towards this show, but I have the feeling many people do.

Now the reason why I like your post is that I’ve never stood still thinking about the consequences of the Dutch polder model on the architecture of buildings. I realized that most terraced houses here are indeed small and long, you’re right about the gothic churches with small windows and the infrastructure is indeed build for pedestrian and cyclists safety. But to my knowledge most buildings in the Netherlands have a concrete foundation, only the area under sea level in the west use supporting pillars (“heien”).

Anyway, great post and maybe next time you can promote our open and tolerant culture towards controversial humanistic issues (well, at least compared to other countries).

30. Hogart says:

Pretty hilarious reading the comments on this one. Thanks psgels, this was all far more amusing and entertaining than the episode itself. The people taking this post of yours too seriously need to check themselves for a sense of humor. It’s nice to have someone call anime out on their BS once in a while. Plus it’s tacky to say “that’s just how it is with anime writing”, much moreso than focusing on the exceptionally poor presentation of the Netherlands here. The writers chose to put themselves in this position, and if there wasn’t anything else psgels noticed about the episode then you should probably get the hint that the episode wasn’t noteworthy beyond it’s bad understanding of other cultures.

31. Alec says:

It’s alright it won’t matter the next episode, because the goldfish wont be in Netherlands anymore.

It’s just one episode

32. Razors says:

I think Hogart’s comment sums all this quite well haha. By the way, a bit out of topic but psgels, i noticed that you have not reviewed a lot of episodes recently, or should I assume that your last paragraph answers this question.

33. ebisu says:

Really funny post :D

Everything is set in an alternate reality so you shouldn’t think to much about anything resembling Netherlands. It’s a world where they only use that methan-something as energy source and there are flying fishes. The episode was bad enough with that ending and those absurd pirate-terrorists.

As they like to write “This work is fiction, any resemblance with… bla bla”.
    This also happens to people in other countries with other supposed decent shows too often (anime, films, all kind) ¬¬. The problem is not just inside anime and its writers, I can assure you.
    (Plenty of foreign storywriters have made a terrible job with Spain, I don’t want to start with the list)

• Kiraly says:

Hollywood routinely misrepresents Washington DC, for cripe’s sake (did you know there are no skyscrapers there? At all?). It’s not limited to foreign countries, and sure as hell not to Japan.

34. Ashura01 says:

Well, I got the feeling that this show will be a bad noitama show when i saw the promo picture and the premise. No matter how I look at, it had the “The Next Guilty Crown” vibe from it. It’s really weird and i can’t get pass that. I just feel the whole premise even the art reminds me of Guilty Crown.

35. Emma-hime says:

Just would like to specify so I’m not entertaining hypocrisy if it was my country it would also bother me, in addition to that now that I know this happens in other things like movies in places like America I can also see how that would bother me/someone.

36. Kokoko says:

A mad Dutchman :D

37. kero says:

I just watched this, and I have to say, as someone who doesn’t know much about Netherlands, the inaccuracies didn’t bother me one bit. So I think that if that was ruled out, the episode was probably just your average episode of an anime that is probably average.

I liked that they didn’t save the kids at the end, but to be honest I’m overall left with a ‘meh’ feeling about it all.

38. Shippoyasha says:

We get it. You hate moe, you are itching to call anime creators idiots and like some old crank, can’t get over the fact this show obviously takes artistic liberties with Netherlands.

I thought it was a fine and entertaining episode.

If you have to rage that hard on nonconsequential liberties with setting, I sugest you drop it.

39. Pabby says:

Oh my! I always appreciate your opinions on the series I don’t watch but follow reviews of. Attention to detail (or lack of!) can really tip the scale of worthwhile-ness.
    I have to agree, there have been less and less shows that I’ve been interested in writing wise these past seasons!

40. Tim says:

Your review for this episode reminds me of ZabuAbumi’s sarcasm about episode 4 with the depiction of Germany. ^_^

41. Suburbanbanshee says:

I feel for you. Every time that Dayton, Ohio is portrayed on screen, be it in American live action drama or comedy, or in anime, said portrayal is pathetic and unrealistic, and the architecture is usually as far off as the landscape.

Of course, the best one is how the Wright Brothers are always testing their planes by running off cliffs in the gigantic mountains of Ohio and Indiana, when they actually did all their local flight practice in nice flat pasture areas. The fact that the Wrights actively avoided jumping off cliffs was one of the many instances of their superior engineering, piloting, and survival savvy.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

And yes, there are no gigantic mountains in Ohio. Some fair sized hills, cliffs, and gorges, but nothing close to mountains.

42. Shin325 says:

The writer of this article, though i assume he is Dutch as well, has a very poor understanding of the culture this country harbors. Dat wou ik even gezegd hebben.

43. Math162 says:

It’s funny that you whine so much about the inaccuracies about the Netherlands but doesn’t mind reviewing a show like Michiko to Hatchin, which is a very good show, but portray an image of Brazil that is nothing like the reality.

• gedata says:

That’s probably because he knows a lot more about his ho,e country then some random one that (I assume) he knows little about.

44. KatsumiTsunade says:

I have been reading ur blog forever now and never knew u were in the Netherlands…I also live here and saw the ep AND agree with u totally. I was laughing with my friends about it…anyway, keep doing what ur doing :)

45. Aris Boch says:

Goddamn inch pincher, who gives a fuck about some miniscule inaccuracies when watching portraying a fictional town in the future in a series with flying mechas, space colonization and some shit Galileo pulled out of his toches people several hundred years later give enough shit about to go and shoot each other up!? No-one, including about 99,99% of the Dutch viewers, I bet. Hell, about every animé ass-raping any language except Japanese with a piledriver and no lubricants is way much worse (no idea, why the fuck can’t they get some native speakers on the team, the isolation of Japan ended a few centuries ago!) than that!! The “Please, please, please get a life” Foundation was notified.
    P.S.: And this guy, who used “autism” as an insult can stick a grenade up his ass and mail the security pin to the show’s producers in Japan, cause he’s an asshole.

@Mario, starting to think I didn't need my help after all. I hope they make something worthwhile.
On a unrelated note the Dark Souls 3 DLC boss is serious bullshit.
Hey Aidan, thqt Kickstarter project Mecha-ude has passed its goal (nearly double now with 10 more days to go). Seems like people getting real hype for it
Wonder if Bam has played the new Dark Souls DLC. Found it rather lacking when compared to previous DLC from the last games.
@Anon, it's just a video of a still image of anime girls in bikini's with a red circle around one of their chests. Seeing as this thing has no views or subscribers my guess is someones is fishing for views. To which i say...what really is the point of making videos if this is the only way you can get people to watch them?
[link src="
I"] hate this crap that they corrupt anime with (crappy video that insults anime)
So RWBY's back. I actually miss the whole RWBY team. Still prefer Ruby's old custom more. Nora looks cool.
With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.
I guess I'm just unsure of something, how many people watching "arty" stuff are able to pick it up on their own. By looking up an "explained video" or "explained essay" to get it, am I copping out?

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373