Posted by psgels on 9 November 2013 with categories: Galilei Donna

Oh… the fail. The huge, incredible fail. I was already flexing my muscles when I found out that this episode would be set in the Netherlands… but I didn’t expect that the creators got almost nothing right.

The only thing the creators got right was the names, and they spelled “voor” right.

Questionable but correct was the fact that it snowed. Heck, apparently it’s around January or February when the series takes place. We have periods in which the entire country is covered in snow. Way to go against the stereotypes, I like that. Although I do find it a bit weird that it suddenly out of nowhere started snowing. We’re not particularly colder than the rest of the world here and usually the snow just lasts two months, and even then it’s only a few days at a time. There’s also the way in which everyone just understood each other, but that’s something that all international fiction suffers from. Let’s just assume that everyone’s talking English.

And now for the gross inaccuracies. Let’s start with the architecutre: in the Netherlands, houses can basically be divided into two kinds: old and new. Old is basically the traditional style of housing, while the new is the calculated and well planned home, often built with reddish brick. None of the buildings shown in this episode fall anywhere close to that. I guess they were going for the old look, but they made one crucial mistake here:

Let me tell you, most cities in the Netherlands were built on swamp lands. When homes needed to be built, people would drive huge wooden pillars into the ground for the houses to rest on, because otherwise everything would just collapse on itself. This also meant that most homes couldn’t be built very large unless they have some very solid foundation, wihch is what most people couldn’t afford. Especially combined with the fact that it’s a country with a really high population density: especially in the cities there is not much room. Houses as huge as what we saw there: we only have that in the suburbs, and almost always they are built in a modern architectural style, not some oldish one that you see here. Even the largest houses in the old style are large because they are long. Not wide. When I go on a holiday to a foreign country, I’m always stunned by how big every building is.

Also, the church:churches in the Netherlands are mostly built in an old gothic style. All very old-fashioned, and a typical element of them is that the windows are slightly small. Not huge, like that giant stained glass window we saw here, nor do we have much churches in which the iron beams are plainly visible. Having huge open doors is also just a big no.

Then, the street view: our lanterns nowadays are much more modern: the old style you only see in historical centers like Amsterdam. Also, the creators cleverly managed to mask this with the snow and all, but Dutch streets are nearly always designed to be save: lots of traffic lights, very well defined pavements, lots of opportunities for bikes. I saw no hints of that whatsoever.

And here’s the big one: WHERE THE HECK DID THESE MOUNTAINS COME FROM!? Seriously? We don’t have those in the Netherlands. The single biggest hill we have is about 300 meters above sea level, and that’s in the southernmost part of the country. The other 11 provinces are pretty damn flat here. ESPECIALLY near the sea, which apparently this episode takes place in. Those fancy rocks you see at that beach? Yeah, the rocks we do have are really tiny. Nearly all of our beaches are sandy beaches, follwed by a few sand dunes.

All of this really made me wonder: why am I still watching this? Why am I still going for these kinds of series, when they’re so stupid that they can’t even manage the most basic of research. I mean, Kyousogiga and Samurai Flamenco: I can think of plenty of reasons to watch them. But this…. everything is just average. The drama is all pretty stupid. And I don’t just mean this series, but I’m starting to wonder this about every slightly “good” series. What makes them worth watching if the writers always put so little effort and thought into them?

I want to watch things that can challenge me, however I’m getting more and more the feeling that a lot of the writers are just idiots. Anime has over the past number of years made great strides in terms of animation, but in terms of writing… I’m afraid to say it but things have gotten downhill. There are only a few writers now who can deliver original screenplays, most adaptations are just done lazily. What really is good enough to really be worth your time and attention?
Rating: 2/8 (Awful)

1. ringlord says:

As said in this episode, it’s the beginning of a new ice age.

2. brianwuzhere says:

Amidst your frustration, looks like you added the same pictures to the end of the post as well.

3. AidanAK47 says:

90% = Bitching about inaccuracies about Netherlands.
    10% = Calling show average.

Come on, at least mention what happened in the episode a little. I like the death of the children at least…assuming they are truly dead. This show is not great admittedly but it’s still enjoyable.

4. Deadlight says:

Yeah, from episode 1, I knew Galilei Donna would be a load of crap

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

yup and so is 99% of the aanime bwing showed every season nowdays

“Anime has over the past number of years made great strides in terms of animation, but in terms of writing… I’m afraid to say it but things have gotten downhill.”

This, The writters have just gotten worse and worse.

5. Mikey says:

Well I’ve always though Galilei Donna was pretty bad regardless, but hey whatever gets people realizing that is okay with me.

• Mikey says:

Said this already… Samurai Flamenco is the anime Noitamina needs and Galilei Donna is the anime Noitamina doesn’t need.

Heck Donna is the anime that anime doesn’t need. Moe pandering disguised in an unusual story. But at the end of the day, it’s still moe pandering.

• Mazz says:

HOLD IT THIS IS A NOITAMINA SERIES1?!?!
        I’m surprised they would put out something so… average. I gave the show its fair chance solely because of psgels, and it wasn’t horrible (like I thought it would be), but this is far from the quality I expect from them. I mean, didn’t they give us great shows like Silver Spoon, Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, Anohana, and others. Comapred to those this is just bad. As for the writing, I admit getting things wrong like this in an anime never pissed me off, but I see what you mean, as it’s a talltale sign of lazy/bad writing. That makes me skeptical of this show and anything else it says.

• Mikey says:

They gave us Guilty Crown though.

Also Steins Gate wasn’t a Noitamina series. Robotics Notes was.

• Deadlight says:

NoitaminA has sucked since like 2011. Guilty Crown, Blakc Rock Shooter, Fractale, etc.

• Mazz says:

Yeah I just looked at the shows that were in the timeslot on wikipedia. Some great, some not so great. I assumed Steins;Gate was noitamina because I saw it’s inferior cousin robotics;notes on there.

• mds says:

well i have to disagree with you on BRS. although its SO not noitamina-ish

• Tassia says:

The thing is, they had a bunch of good stuff in 2011 and a bunch of bad stuff. Since they started airing 2 shows (except for the second half of 2010), it’s been about 50% shit and 50% awesome. So they’re giving us about the same amount of good series, just mixed with bad. 2011 gave us Hourou Musuko, Anohana, Usagi Drop, and Un-Go. It’s largely because of those shows that to me 2011 was the best recent year in anime.

• Emma-hime says:

I agree with he assessment Tassia is making about 2011 anime and Noitamina.
            I think we may though in the future see some more teenager-y anime though of Noitamina as guilty crown wasn’t a bad seller .

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

“moe pandering”

pretty much, finally people are begining to see this (this has been goin gon for years) and realyl It took me all of the time they mentioned “galileo” that I was like “yup, not watching this, gonna be crap.”

6. Vawn says:

Regarding your point about the snow. The world is on the verge of another Ice Age, so I see your whole argument with that as pointless. With the inaccuracies with the Netherlands, I can see your points, but for the average viewer who has no knowledge of that part of the world there should be no problem. I really don’t think this episode was really as bad as you’re making it out to be. At least from the viewpoint of the general audience.

• Mikey says:

Just because we don’t know it, doesn’t give the writers and artist any excuse to phone things in. That just insulting our intelligence. And considering what this show has done, that is saying something.

• nodbgp says:

And that’s why its lazy writing. It’s really sad that people think its ok to do these kind of things. Lazy writers shouldn’t be writers at all.

7. Emma-hime says:

If anything I find it far worse because it sends the wrong message to people who may not be in the know.
    This was an informative post.

8. Aegd says:

It’s a fictional series. They fly around in a huge robotic goldfish, and you whine and moan about the netherlands being portrayed realistically? The series take place in the future. Your country could have changed drastically, and once more… it’s FICTION.

Sure, the series is badly written, but that something that has been apparent for the past few episodes.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

oh the age old “it’s fiction don’t bash my favorite show waaah waah wahh”

I guess since it’s fiction you can just put mountains any old place (where there are none in the NON-FICTIONAL place called the Netherlands) yeah dude.

GO back and hug your pillows of the main female characters, your fanboyism isn’t welcome here.

• Emma-hime says:

If the show is to go for what Aegd said, then they should make clear and explain those in the future changes or really make something of it.
        This coming from someone who finds the show obnoxious and annoying.

• Spike says:

Yeah actually, you can. That’s what makes fiction, fiction. You can do whatever the fuck you want to do. They can put a Big statue of Stalin in Times Square if they feel like it.

These kind of things only get focused on when the story / characters aren’t that engrossing. If you have time to nitpick the setting / realism (looking at you Coppelion) It’s time to drop the show because it obviously isn’t for you.

This entire post was a waste of time, no one gives a shit what the Netherlands is really like, especially not the Japanese viewers who are the actual target of the show.

• Aegd says:

Precisely. You can nitpick about the setting in almost any show. If you look outside anime, you will find that many Hollywood movies are not even filmed on the location they are supposed to take place in. Hell, most movies are not even filmed in the same COUNTRY they are supposed to take place in. This is obviously going the be very apparent to anyone who happen to live in that country/city.

The post was a waste of time because it didn’t actually cover the show. It covered PSgels view on how his country is portrayed in a fictional anime setting… which makes no sense at all.

How about next time, maybe focus about what happened in the show?

• nodbgp says:

You don’t understand shit about what you’re talking about. It being fiction doesn’t excuse the fact that the writers didn’t make their research, they didn’t put mountains there to enrich/define the setting they put it there because they made a mistake. Being fiction doesn’t excuse bad/lazy writing.

Besides who are you to decide if everybody gives a shit or not about what Netherlands is really like? You may not give a shit, but believe it or not a bunch of people do, and I could bet that between those people there are some Japanese.

• Spike says:

Listen up shitbag, these scripts are put together on a weekly basis and mostly have a STRICT deadline of 36 hours to be written in order to get animation and design done on time. There is NO TIME to spend researching architechure and topography for fictional town in some non-existant place that set in the future in an alternate universe because frankly – it only matters to faggot nitpickers like you, who aren’t going to buy the show anyway from the Japanese creator.
            So yea, no one gives a shit what you think.

YOU don’t understand anything about how an actual anime works.

• psgels psgels says:

Whoa whoa whoa there. This was a very personal post, I understand that. I completely understand it if you disagree with me and all.

But putting the other party down with insults and pulling the “nobody cares about your opinion”-card? Come on, I expected better of you, Spike.

• nodbgp says:

Fuck you are way more stupid than I thought. That’s why a planning phase exists, hell that’s why mostly anime are adaptations. “We don’t have time” is no excuse for bad writing or bad anything.

And whatever people from the other side of the world are going to buy their product or not shouldn’t matter at all, the whole idea of making anime (or any other form of media) these days is making it good or interesting so people buy it, whoever and whatever in the world they are.

As for the 36 hours bullshit, did you read it in a interview or you came up with it by yourself. Anime make in such environments are usually Jump stuff who goes on for 100’s of episodes and even those are animated weeks in advance.

Writing is not something you do on a routine, if you need time to do research you’re going to go at a faster pace through the already defined plot so you have the time. So as far as writers go, if they need time to do a great job, they can make time.

Besides if time was such a problem, every single anime ever would have been a big piece of crappy from a writing standpoint, which obviously is not the case. So instead of making up shit use your brain.

So yeah you`re the one that doesn`t understand shit and whose mind can only think in 1+1 terms.

But seeing as usually you start your posts swinging shit I`ll just assume you`re a angry 12 year old and stop wasting my breath.

• Spike says:

Sorry Psgels
            But people posting are showing a complete lack of understanding of the medium. A show like this simply does not care about anyone outside of Japan or anyone outside of it’s demographic which skews younger. An early evening show with a broader demographic is more likely to invest in research and accuracy. Here it doesn’t matter if they fight in Alaska and there’s a sandy desert, it’s unimportant to the intended viewer and the writers.

So my post may have come off as too harsh, the correct phrasing is *the writers and intended audience do not care about you opinion* which is 100% true. I know alot of you have been watching anime a while so you must know some of this stuff by now.

• Soulofmen says:

No one gives a shit about you and your country.

• Aegd says:

In what part of my post did I ever say I even enjoy the show? It’s one of the worst noitamina shows since Guilty Crown.

The Netherlands being portrayed “like some other European country” is a minor problem. The show has MUCH bigger problems than some houses and streets looking like some German town or whatever.

What about how they derailed the entire story in episode 4, just because they wanted to tell some story about a doctor who built a robot to save his kid, and how he just happened to have found the map they needed in a broken statuette? How about how they threw in two stupid pirate side-kicks, just so they could get one of the main girls hurt to fit the contrived story?

What about the stupid generic characters, what about the stupid generic villains?

• Mikey says:

Just because a work is fiction doesn’t give an excuse for lazy and stupid writing. It took me like less than thirty minutes to properly research the place using google. It isn’t that hard. Stop making ludicrous excuses.

9. Nyangoro says:

While I certainly wouldn’t call Galilei Donna a great show (or even necessarily all that good of one, outside of a pretty decent sense of adventure), I really don’t think whether or not it’s an accurate portrayal of the Netherlands to be all that big a deal. Maybe something to call it out for, but not something to base one’s entire opinion of the show on.

10. Emma-hime says:

Oh don’t get me wrong. Donna’s direction is remarkably spastic from what little I watched no doubts about it there.

11. Vincehwr says:

I don’t understand it’s creator’s freedom to whatever the hell he wants with his own. Let me say the writeup for this episode was hell of an overreaction if I’ve seen one.

12. Emma-hime says:

To those who are coming down on this post can I put the question to you. If it was your country how then would you feel if it was misrepresented whatever the setting?

• Nyangoro says:

Not a thing.

I would only ever be mad at something like that if it was relevant to the story at hand. I can easily classify this as creative license for the simple reason that it doesn’t matter to the story’s premise or goals.

For example, if Ikoku Meiro no Croisee misrepresented France to the same degree (and assuming I was aware of it), I would have a huge problem with that; because that series requires a certain authenticity of its setting to work properly.

• Mazz says:

This too. If it was a key part of the story, I’d be annoyed by that. But not because its my home country, just because something like that would likely get on my nerves.

• Emma-hime says:

Ah-HA! Now that reminds me. Satelitte actually does have a French Connection so that bonus points to them.

• Mazz says:

Frankly i wouldn’t care, I’m sure america has been misrepresented many times. I just find it funny the writers couldn’t spend an hour researching what the place actually looks like. It can’t be that hard.

• DmonHiro says:

I’m Romaninan. My country gets misrepresented all the time. Nobody cares. Jeez, talk about nitpicking…

• Mikey says:

Honestly, people saying “this is nitpicking” seems like a flimsy excuse, because you actually don’t have anything to argue with the contrary. Psgels is using evidence. Where is yours.

• mulligan says:

I think the issue isn’t so much as “misrepresentation” but using familiar visual clues that the average audience could immediately pick up. This isn’t new – it happens often with so many cultural stereotypes portrayed in anime – China, India, any part of Europe. It could be argued as a budget problem or even endemic ‘laziness’ or ‘carelessness’. IMHO it could be a combination.

That said, when producers do have the right budget, visionary director and creative manpower, they can really do a fabulous job – Katsuhiro Otomo’s “Steamboy” is a great example.

I think it is a waste of effort to expect historical accuracy in television series like this (even if it is in noitamina slot).

13. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

Thanks for the fascinating post about architecture in the Netherlands. It’s cool to see that you have so much appreciation for your home land. I went to Amsterdam once but I don’t much about the Netherlands so it was interesting.

Also, you write very good English for a native dutch speaker.

• Huechi says:

Yep, it was an interesting read about the architecture.

And ha! psgels’ writing is better than that of many native english speakers.

14. Flawfinder says:

I don’t think anime has been going downhill so much as a combination of different trends and your taste changing over time. There’s a bunch of stuff I’ve seen in the past that I go back to these days and realize “yeah, that wasn’t very good”. And wasted potential isn’t exactly something new with noitamina, let alone anime in general.

I know Galilei disappointed, but I don’t think that’s an indication of any new downturn in anime. I’ve been burned in similar fashion with many anime in the past before it came. But that’s just me.

15. Mazz says:

@Spike This is to your comment about them only having a certain amount of time so they can’t research things like how a country looks.

I was looking at a few comments on Crunchyroll while marathoning Space Brothers, and was surprised when multiple people commented that he places the cast visited were actually real places (one episode, they visited a steakhouse I believe, and a few people confirmed its based on a popular on in houston or something). And it wasn’t that one time, it happens multiple times in Space brothers (trust me, I’ve read quite a few of those comments lol). If space brothers can do it, why can’t this show? Granted, this was a manga first and all, but it doesn’t change the fact that SOMEBODY went out of their way to look this stuff up, and I give props to shows that go the extra mile.

• Nyangoro says:

The extra effort is very appreciated, but I wouldn’t harp on a show like Galilei Donna too harshly for an inaccurate portrayal of a setting.

Let’s remember that Space Brothers is designed to be more grounded in reality than a prodigious girl who can create a goldfish-shaped vessel complete with holographic AI and a minigun.

• mezzoguitar says:

They don’t even have to go that far. Just looking up basic architecture and topography on the internet and getting an “idea” of what the Netherlands looks like would be preferable to dreaming up a fantasy European world from scratch.

• Spike says:

Comparing an anime based on a monthly manga to an original work written week by week is apples to oranges. The audiences of these 2 shows is apples to oranges. The settings’ importance is apples to ornages.

Texas space Center is an important part of the show so having Houston as realistic and accurate as possible is important. Gal Donna is your basic – go to a place, retrieve X, go to next place. The place is not important it is simply a device to move the plot along. I didn’t hear anyone crying about a misportrayed Italy the past few episodes… It’s simply Psgels getting worked up about something he’s familiar with and frankly – doesn’t matter.

• Mikey says:

Honestly, while you’re right about manga and original anime being completely different, that doesn’t mean we give Galilei Donna a free pass here. And it doesn’t matter if no one was complaining about Italy, two wrongs don’t make a right. The fact that it literally can take an hour of ones time to research and that clearly none was done is quite frankly unacceptable. It’s lazy and stupid and psgels has every right to complain about it. And it being fiction doesn’t give it a free pass either.

16. kero says:

learning lots about netherland :)

17. Emma-hime says:

Its hilarious..that this is the post that has me planning a holiday to Holland.

18. Cytl says:

This may be one of the best posts about the Netherlands and one of the worst episode reviews I’ve ever read.

19. Aline says:

what the fuck? i’m dutch and this is bullshit. As Aegd said, they fly around in a huge robotic goldfish, and you whine and moan about the netherlands being portrayed realistically? wasn’t expecting that.

20. Silverbeard says:

Probably the most hilarious psgels review I have read in the last few years.

21. sigh says:

So this is what autism is like, huh?

• Mikey says:

I never knew what a horrible excuse for a human was until you came along. Congratulations. You have now insulted everybody with autism.

• Shippoyasha says:

Not really. Getting obsessive about a singular topic can be a sign of autistic tendencies. It is what it is. It’s not meant to be an insult on that alone.

• Mikey says:

You honestly expect me to believe that sigh didn’t use that as an insult and was actually concerned that psgels might have autism? Right…

• Emma-hime says:

Speaking as someone who actually is autistic being compelled to do/say things and becoming driven on getting something done a specific way/in a certain time limit/before doing something else or latching onto things or ideas is a massive part of it. Can lead to a sense of feeling incomplete, unsatisfied, lack of worth, loss. In some cases when a fixation goes challenged or unmet it can lead to physical manifestations.
            Some autistics have difficulties with being touched, in social/relationship situations or being passionette/emotional about things. Generally will only get pissed off if they can’t satisfy something they feel they have no choice but to do.
            Hopefully that clears a bit up about autism.

• Emma-hime says:

Also another possible trait of the confusion part of autism is confusion about what your supposed to be as well
            =<

• Emma-hime says:

Additionally prudishness can be associated with Autism.
            I’m not really offended by the comment though. If someone makes an insult like that then surely they simply don’t count and why would an insult from a person who doesn’t count have any baring on me?

22. Isotopesam says:

I hated this show from day one.

• MisaoFan says:

I liked this anime, it’s not horrible but with the way it turns out now, my expectations gets betrayed as it continues on despite the fact I have hopes that the show have potential thanks to the unusual direction based on episode one alone.

23. notintheface11 says:

psgels whines about shows like this, wishing for something that can challenge him, and then poo-poos series like monogatari. Maybe you should quit letting your hipster-ism get in the way of your sensibilities and open up a bit more.

That said, I feel the same way about modern anime writing. So many series this season that had massive potential and then just kind of fell flat. I’ve been watching a lot of older stuff (and by older I mean pre-2009). I wouldn’t mind seeing you check out older shows that might have been missed or came out before you began blogging. I noticed you don’t have Suzumiya Haruhi in your blog history. Check it out! I’m sure I’m not the first one to suggest it to you.

• Firechick says:

He did write a review of it.

• notintheface11 says:

I see it now. I was searching for it by its Japanese name. That was painful to read. Like I said in my last post. Psgels doesn’t have anything to complain about if he’s going to turn up his nose at a series with good writing just because it’s well-loved. He even admits it in his review. Then you go around and praise series with awful writing and horribly flat characters like Birdy the Mighty and Noein. It makes no sense.

24. Nyangoro says:

Honestly, the biggest problem with Galilei Donna is character development, which feels a bit rushed for the girls and non-existent for the rest thanks to a cast that is way too large for it’s own good.

This show is 11 episodes long; and it’s already seen fit to have the three sisters, the Galileo nerd, the sisters’ parents who are operating separately, the underground criminal organization (or whatever vague sort of establishment it is), the front for the criminal organization, the pirates, and all the new characters they’ve been revealing for their weekly stories on top of that.

It’s way too cluttered.

25. Namaewoinai says:

I feel your pain about your review (and yet funny!) but i don’t truly mind about the inaccuracy about that country so much or what so ever…
    i just focusing on the plot…that’s all!

Sure this Show (or perhaps this episode only) has technical disappointments and difficulties. but i don’t think i despise it a lot more than any other show this season! JUST ASKING!

26. TheUltimateReaper says:

People are actually watching this?

27. Rachael says:

Wow, I didn’t realize there were so many inaccuracies. Personally I thought the episode itself was about average, but this makes me rethink it a little. Thanks for the review! ^__^

28. DaveE says:

I don’t know why you people hate Galilei Donna so much
    It’s actually the series i look forward the most this season
    It got that sense of adventure, neat character designs, with engaging battle(and cute AI) and a very neat soundtrack. It may not have the most groundbreaking ideas each week, but the story in a bigger scope has a great potential. Give it a rest, stop over analyzing, and try to enjoy the adventure guys. Geez

29. Sylpher says:

I absolutely loved your post! I do understand the complaints saying that the review content is inappropriate since you hardly cover the episode at all, but personally I agree with you: Screw this boring show and let’s talk about more interesting stuff like the Dutch streetscape the series addresses. Also, I don’t think the inaccurate portrayal of the Netherlands is the main reason of your dislike towards this show, but I have the feeling many people do.

Now the reason why I like your post is that I’ve never stood still thinking about the consequences of the Dutch polder model on the architecture of buildings. I realized that most terraced houses here are indeed small and long, you’re right about the gothic churches with small windows and the infrastructure is indeed build for pedestrian and cyclists safety. But to my knowledge most buildings in the Netherlands have a concrete foundation, only the area under sea level in the west use supporting pillars (“heien”).

Anyway, great post and maybe next time you can promote our open and tolerant culture towards controversial humanistic issues (well, at least compared to other countries).

30. Hogart says:

Pretty hilarious reading the comments on this one. Thanks psgels, this was all far more amusing and entertaining than the episode itself. The people taking this post of yours too seriously need to check themselves for a sense of humor. It’s nice to have someone call anime out on their BS once in a while. Plus it’s tacky to say “that’s just how it is with anime writing”, much moreso than focusing on the exceptionally poor presentation of the Netherlands here. The writers chose to put themselves in this position, and if there wasn’t anything else psgels noticed about the episode then you should probably get the hint that the episode wasn’t noteworthy beyond it’s bad understanding of other cultures.

31. Alec says:

It’s alright it won’t matter the next episode, because the goldfish wont be in Netherlands anymore.

It’s just one episode

32. Razors says:

I think Hogart’s comment sums all this quite well haha. By the way, a bit out of topic but psgels, i noticed that you have not reviewed a lot of episodes recently, or should I assume that your last paragraph answers this question.

33. ebisu says:

Really funny post :D

Everything is set in an alternate reality so you shouldn’t think to much about anything resembling Netherlands. It’s a world where they only use that methan-something as energy source and there are flying fishes. The episode was bad enough with that ending and those absurd pirate-terrorists.

As they like to write “This work is fiction, any resemblance with… bla bla”.
    This also happens to people in other countries with other supposed decent shows too often (anime, films, all kind) ¬¬. The problem is not just inside anime and its writers, I can assure you.
    (Plenty of foreign storywriters have made a terrible job with Spain, I don’t want to start with the list)

• Kiraly says:

Hollywood routinely misrepresents Washington DC, for cripe’s sake (did you know there are no skyscrapers there? At all?). It’s not limited to foreign countries, and sure as hell not to Japan.

34. Ashura01 says:

Well, I got the feeling that this show will be a bad noitama show when i saw the promo picture and the premise. No matter how I look at, it had the “The Next Guilty Crown” vibe from it. It’s really weird and i can’t get pass that. I just feel the whole premise even the art reminds me of Guilty Crown.

35. Emma-hime says:

Just would like to specify so I’m not entertaining hypocrisy if it was my country it would also bother me, in addition to that now that I know this happens in other things like movies in places like America I can also see how that would bother me/someone.

36. Kokoko says:

A mad Dutchman :D

37. kero says:

I just watched this, and I have to say, as someone who doesn’t know much about Netherlands, the inaccuracies didn’t bother me one bit. So I think that if that was ruled out, the episode was probably just your average episode of an anime that is probably average.

I liked that they didn’t save the kids at the end, but to be honest I’m overall left with a ‘meh’ feeling about it all.

38. Shippoyasha says:

We get it. You hate moe, you are itching to call anime creators idiots and like some old crank, can’t get over the fact this show obviously takes artistic liberties with Netherlands.

I thought it was a fine and entertaining episode.

If you have to rage that hard on nonconsequential liberties with setting, I sugest you drop it.

39. Pabby says:

Oh my! I always appreciate your opinions on the series I don’t watch but follow reviews of. Attention to detail (or lack of!) can really tip the scale of worthwhile-ness.
    I have to agree, there have been less and less shows that I’ve been interested in writing wise these past seasons!

40. Tim says:

Your review for this episode reminds me of ZabuAbumi’s sarcasm about episode 4 with the depiction of Germany. ^_^

41. Suburbanbanshee says:

I feel for you. Every time that Dayton, Ohio is portrayed on screen, be it in American live action drama or comedy, or in anime, said portrayal is pathetic and unrealistic, and the architecture is usually as far off as the landscape.

Of course, the best one is how the Wright Brothers are always testing their planes by running off cliffs in the gigantic mountains of Ohio and Indiana, when they actually did all their local flight practice in nice flat pasture areas. The fact that the Wrights actively avoided jumping off cliffs was one of the many instances of their superior engineering, piloting, and survival savvy.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

And yes, there are no gigantic mountains in Ohio. Some fair sized hills, cliffs, and gorges, but nothing close to mountains.

42. Shin325 says:

The writer of this article, though i assume he is Dutch as well, has a very poor understanding of the culture this country harbors. Dat wou ik even gezegd hebben.

43. Math162 says:

It’s funny that you whine so much about the inaccuracies about the Netherlands but doesn’t mind reviewing a show like Michiko to Hatchin, which is a very good show, but portray an image of Brazil that is nothing like the reality.

• gedata says:

That’s probably because he knows a lot more about his ho,e country then some random one that (I assume) he knows little about.

44. KatsumiTsunade says:

I have been reading ur blog forever now and never knew u were in the Netherlands…I also live here and saw the ep AND agree with u totally. I was laughing with my friends about it…anyway, keep doing what ur doing :)

45. Aris Boch says:

Goddamn inch pincher, who gives a fuck about some miniscule inaccuracies when watching portraying a fictional town in the future in a series with flying mechas, space colonization and some shit Galileo pulled out of his toches people several hundred years later give enough shit about to go and shoot each other up!? No-one, including about 99,99% of the Dutch viewers, I bet. Hell, about every animé ass-raping any language except Japanese with a piledriver and no lubricants is way much worse (no idea, why the fuck can’t they get some native speakers on the team, the isolation of Japan ended a few centuries ago!) than that!! The “Please, please, please get a life” Foundation was notified.
    P.S.: And this guy, who used “autism” as an insult can stick a grenade up his ass and mail the security pin to the show’s producers in Japan, cause he’s an asshole.

Bokusen
@SuperMario Thanks! I'll give Houseki no Kuni a try then. A lot of the series I thought would be good are disappointing me, so I might be following a low number of series this season & it'd be cool if Houseki turns out to be something I like enough to watch this season.^-^
@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100