Posted by psgels on 9 November 2013 with categories: Galilei Donna

Oh… the fail. The huge, incredible fail. I was already flexing my muscles when I found out that this episode would be set in the Netherlands… but I didn’t expect that the creators got almost nothing right.

The only thing the creators got right was the names, and they spelled “voor” right.

Questionable but correct was the fact that it snowed. Heck, apparently it’s around January or February when the series takes place. We have periods in which the entire country is covered in snow. Way to go against the stereotypes, I like that. Although I do find it a bit weird that it suddenly out of nowhere started snowing. We’re not particularly colder than the rest of the world here and usually the snow just lasts two months, and even then it’s only a few days at a time. There’s also the way in which everyone just understood each other, but that’s something that all international fiction suffers from. Let’s just assume that everyone’s talking English.

And now for the gross inaccuracies. Let’s start with the architecutre: in the Netherlands, houses can basically be divided into two kinds: old and new. Old is basically the traditional style of housing, while the new is the calculated and well planned home, often built with reddish brick. None of the buildings shown in this episode fall anywhere close to that. I guess they were going for the old look, but they made one crucial mistake here:

Let me tell you, most cities in the Netherlands were built on swamp lands. When homes needed to be built, people would drive huge wooden pillars into the ground for the houses to rest on, because otherwise everything would just collapse on itself. This also meant that most homes couldn’t be built very large unless they have some very solid foundation, wihch is what most people couldn’t afford. Especially combined with the fact that it’s a country with a really high population density: especially in the cities there is not much room. Houses as huge as what we saw there: we only have that in the suburbs, and almost always they are built in a modern architectural style, not some oldish one that you see here. Even the largest houses in the old style are large because they are long. Not wide. When I go on a holiday to a foreign country, I’m always stunned by how big every building is.

Also, the church:churches in the Netherlands are mostly built in an old gothic style. All very old-fashioned, and a typical element of them is that the windows are slightly small. Not huge, like that giant stained glass window we saw here, nor do we have much churches in which the iron beams are plainly visible. Having huge open doors is also just a big no.

Then, the street view: our lanterns nowadays are much more modern: the old style you only see in historical centers like Amsterdam. Also, the creators cleverly managed to mask this with the snow and all, but Dutch streets are nearly always designed to be save: lots of traffic lights, very well defined pavements, lots of opportunities for bikes. I saw no hints of that whatsoever.

And here’s the big one: WHERE THE HECK DID THESE MOUNTAINS COME FROM!? Seriously? We don’t have those in the Netherlands. The single biggest hill we have is about 300 meters above sea level, and that’s in the southernmost part of the country. The other 11 provinces are pretty damn flat here. ESPECIALLY near the sea, which apparently this episode takes place in. Those fancy rocks you see at that beach? Yeah, the rocks we do have are really tiny. Nearly all of our beaches are sandy beaches, follwed by a few sand dunes.

All of this really made me wonder: why am I still watching this? Why am I still going for these kinds of series, when they’re so stupid that they can’t even manage the most basic of research. I mean, Kyousogiga and Samurai Flamenco: I can think of plenty of reasons to watch them. But this…. everything is just average. The drama is all pretty stupid. And I don’t just mean this series, but I’m starting to wonder this about every slightly “good” series. What makes them worth watching if the writers always put so little effort and thought into them?

I want to watch things that can challenge me, however I’m getting more and more the feeling that a lot of the writers are just idiots. Anime has over the past number of years made great strides in terms of animation, but in terms of writing… I’m afraid to say it but things have gotten downhill. There are only a few writers now who can deliver original screenplays, most adaptations are just done lazily. What really is good enough to really be worth your time and attention?
Rating: 2/8 (Awful)

1. ringlord says:

As said in this episode, it’s the beginning of a new ice age.

2. brianwuzhere says:

Amidst your frustration, looks like you added the same pictures to the end of the post as well.

3. AidanAK47 says:

90% = Bitching about inaccuracies about Netherlands.
    10% = Calling show average.

Come on, at least mention what happened in the episode a little. I like the death of the children at least…assuming they are truly dead. This show is not great admittedly but it’s still enjoyable.

4. Deadlight says:

Yeah, from episode 1, I knew Galilei Donna would be a load of crap

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

yup and so is 99% of the aanime bwing showed every season nowdays

“Anime has over the past number of years made great strides in terms of animation, but in terms of writing… I’m afraid to say it but things have gotten downhill.”

This, The writters have just gotten worse and worse.

5. Mikey says:

Well I’ve always though Galilei Donna was pretty bad regardless, but hey whatever gets people realizing that is okay with me.

• Mikey says:

Said this already… Samurai Flamenco is the anime Noitamina needs and Galilei Donna is the anime Noitamina doesn’t need.

Heck Donna is the anime that anime doesn’t need. Moe pandering disguised in an unusual story. But at the end of the day, it’s still moe pandering.

• Mazz says:

HOLD IT THIS IS A NOITAMINA SERIES1?!?!
        I’m surprised they would put out something so… average. I gave the show its fair chance solely because of psgels, and it wasn’t horrible (like I thought it would be), but this is far from the quality I expect from them. I mean, didn’t they give us great shows like Silver Spoon, Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, Anohana, and others. Comapred to those this is just bad. As for the writing, I admit getting things wrong like this in an anime never pissed me off, but I see what you mean, as it’s a talltale sign of lazy/bad writing. That makes me skeptical of this show and anything else it says.

• Mikey says:

They gave us Guilty Crown though.

Also Steins Gate wasn’t a Noitamina series. Robotics Notes was.

• Deadlight says:

NoitaminA has sucked since like 2011. Guilty Crown, Blakc Rock Shooter, Fractale, etc.

• Mazz says:

Yeah I just looked at the shows that were in the timeslot on wikipedia. Some great, some not so great. I assumed Steins;Gate was noitamina because I saw it’s inferior cousin robotics;notes on there.

• mds says:

well i have to disagree with you on BRS. although its SO not noitamina-ish

• Tassia says:

The thing is, they had a bunch of good stuff in 2011 and a bunch of bad stuff. Since they started airing 2 shows (except for the second half of 2010), it’s been about 50% shit and 50% awesome. So they’re giving us about the same amount of good series, just mixed with bad. 2011 gave us Hourou Musuko, Anohana, Usagi Drop, and Un-Go. It’s largely because of those shows that to me 2011 was the best recent year in anime.

• Emma-hime says:

I agree with he assessment Tassia is making about 2011 anime and Noitamina.
            I think we may though in the future see some more teenager-y anime though of Noitamina as guilty crown wasn’t a bad seller .

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

“moe pandering”

pretty much, finally people are begining to see this (this has been goin gon for years) and realyl It took me all of the time they mentioned “galileo” that I was like “yup, not watching this, gonna be crap.”

6. Vawn says:

Regarding your point about the snow. The world is on the verge of another Ice Age, so I see your whole argument with that as pointless. With the inaccuracies with the Netherlands, I can see your points, but for the average viewer who has no knowledge of that part of the world there should be no problem. I really don’t think this episode was really as bad as you’re making it out to be. At least from the viewpoint of the general audience.

• Mikey says:

Just because we don’t know it, doesn’t give the writers and artist any excuse to phone things in. That just insulting our intelligence. And considering what this show has done, that is saying something.

• nodbgp says:

And that’s why its lazy writing. It’s really sad that people think its ok to do these kind of things. Lazy writers shouldn’t be writers at all.

7. Emma-hime says:

If anything I find it far worse because it sends the wrong message to people who may not be in the know.
    This was an informative post.

8. Aegd says:

It’s a fictional series. They fly around in a huge robotic goldfish, and you whine and moan about the netherlands being portrayed realistically? The series take place in the future. Your country could have changed drastically, and once more… it’s FICTION.

Sure, the series is badly written, but that something that has been apparent for the past few episodes.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

oh the age old “it’s fiction don’t bash my favorite show waaah waah wahh”

I guess since it’s fiction you can just put mountains any old place (where there are none in the NON-FICTIONAL place called the Netherlands) yeah dude.

GO back and hug your pillows of the main female characters, your fanboyism isn’t welcome here.

• Emma-hime says:

If the show is to go for what Aegd said, then they should make clear and explain those in the future changes or really make something of it.
        This coming from someone who finds the show obnoxious and annoying.

• Spike says:

Yeah actually, you can. That’s what makes fiction, fiction. You can do whatever the fuck you want to do. They can put a Big statue of Stalin in Times Square if they feel like it.

These kind of things only get focused on when the story / characters aren’t that engrossing. If you have time to nitpick the setting / realism (looking at you Coppelion) It’s time to drop the show because it obviously isn’t for you.

This entire post was a waste of time, no one gives a shit what the Netherlands is really like, especially not the Japanese viewers who are the actual target of the show.

• Aegd says:

Precisely. You can nitpick about the setting in almost any show. If you look outside anime, you will find that many Hollywood movies are not even filmed on the location they are supposed to take place in. Hell, most movies are not even filmed in the same COUNTRY they are supposed to take place in. This is obviously going the be very apparent to anyone who happen to live in that country/city.

The post was a waste of time because it didn’t actually cover the show. It covered PSgels view on how his country is portrayed in a fictional anime setting… which makes no sense at all.

How about next time, maybe focus about what happened in the show?

• nodbgp says:

You don’t understand shit about what you’re talking about. It being fiction doesn’t excuse the fact that the writers didn’t make their research, they didn’t put mountains there to enrich/define the setting they put it there because they made a mistake. Being fiction doesn’t excuse bad/lazy writing.

Besides who are you to decide if everybody gives a shit or not about what Netherlands is really like? You may not give a shit, but believe it or not a bunch of people do, and I could bet that between those people there are some Japanese.

• Spike says:

Listen up shitbag, these scripts are put together on a weekly basis and mostly have a STRICT deadline of 36 hours to be written in order to get animation and design done on time. There is NO TIME to spend researching architechure and topography for fictional town in some non-existant place that set in the future in an alternate universe because frankly – it only matters to faggot nitpickers like you, who aren’t going to buy the show anyway from the Japanese creator.
            So yea, no one gives a shit what you think.

YOU don’t understand anything about how an actual anime works.

• psgels psgels says:

Whoa whoa whoa there. This was a very personal post, I understand that. I completely understand it if you disagree with me and all.

But putting the other party down with insults and pulling the “nobody cares about your opinion”-card? Come on, I expected better of you, Spike.

• nodbgp says:

Fuck you are way more stupid than I thought. That’s why a planning phase exists, hell that’s why mostly anime are adaptations. “We don’t have time” is no excuse for bad writing or bad anything.

And whatever people from the other side of the world are going to buy their product or not shouldn’t matter at all, the whole idea of making anime (or any other form of media) these days is making it good or interesting so people buy it, whoever and whatever in the world they are.

As for the 36 hours bullshit, did you read it in a interview or you came up with it by yourself. Anime make in such environments are usually Jump stuff who goes on for 100’s of episodes and even those are animated weeks in advance.

Writing is not something you do on a routine, if you need time to do research you’re going to go at a faster pace through the already defined plot so you have the time. So as far as writers go, if they need time to do a great job, they can make time.

Besides if time was such a problem, every single anime ever would have been a big piece of crappy from a writing standpoint, which obviously is not the case. So instead of making up shit use your brain.

So yeah you`re the one that doesn`t understand shit and whose mind can only think in 1+1 terms.

But seeing as usually you start your posts swinging shit I`ll just assume you`re a angry 12 year old and stop wasting my breath.

• Spike says:

Sorry Psgels
            But people posting are showing a complete lack of understanding of the medium. A show like this simply does not care about anyone outside of Japan or anyone outside of it’s demographic which skews younger. An early evening show with a broader demographic is more likely to invest in research and accuracy. Here it doesn’t matter if they fight in Alaska and there’s a sandy desert, it’s unimportant to the intended viewer and the writers.

So my post may have come off as too harsh, the correct phrasing is *the writers and intended audience do not care about you opinion* which is 100% true. I know alot of you have been watching anime a while so you must know some of this stuff by now.

• Soulofmen says:

No one gives a shit about you and your country.

• Aegd says:

In what part of my post did I ever say I even enjoy the show? It’s one of the worst noitamina shows since Guilty Crown.

The Netherlands being portrayed “like some other European country” is a minor problem. The show has MUCH bigger problems than some houses and streets looking like some German town or whatever.

What about how they derailed the entire story in episode 4, just because they wanted to tell some story about a doctor who built a robot to save his kid, and how he just happened to have found the map they needed in a broken statuette? How about how they threw in two stupid pirate side-kicks, just so they could get one of the main girls hurt to fit the contrived story?

What about the stupid generic characters, what about the stupid generic villains?

• Mikey says:

Just because a work is fiction doesn’t give an excuse for lazy and stupid writing. It took me like less than thirty minutes to properly research the place using google. It isn’t that hard. Stop making ludicrous excuses.

9. Nyangoro says:

While I certainly wouldn’t call Galilei Donna a great show (or even necessarily all that good of one, outside of a pretty decent sense of adventure), I really don’t think whether or not it’s an accurate portrayal of the Netherlands to be all that big a deal. Maybe something to call it out for, but not something to base one’s entire opinion of the show on.

10. Emma-hime says:

Oh don’t get me wrong. Donna’s direction is remarkably spastic from what little I watched no doubts about it there.

11. Vincehwr says:

I don’t understand it’s creator’s freedom to whatever the hell he wants with his own. Let me say the writeup for this episode was hell of an overreaction if I’ve seen one.

12. Emma-hime says:

To those who are coming down on this post can I put the question to you. If it was your country how then would you feel if it was misrepresented whatever the setting?

• Nyangoro says:

Not a thing.

I would only ever be mad at something like that if it was relevant to the story at hand. I can easily classify this as creative license for the simple reason that it doesn’t matter to the story’s premise or goals.

For example, if Ikoku Meiro no Croisee misrepresented France to the same degree (and assuming I was aware of it), I would have a huge problem with that; because that series requires a certain authenticity of its setting to work properly.

• Mazz says:

This too. If it was a key part of the story, I’d be annoyed by that. But not because its my home country, just because something like that would likely get on my nerves.

• Emma-hime says:

Ah-HA! Now that reminds me. Satelitte actually does have a French Connection so that bonus points to them.

• Mazz says:

Frankly i wouldn’t care, I’m sure america has been misrepresented many times. I just find it funny the writers couldn’t spend an hour researching what the place actually looks like. It can’t be that hard.

• DmonHiro says:

I’m Romaninan. My country gets misrepresented all the time. Nobody cares. Jeez, talk about nitpicking…

• Mikey says:

Honestly, people saying “this is nitpicking” seems like a flimsy excuse, because you actually don’t have anything to argue with the contrary. Psgels is using evidence. Where is yours.

• mulligan says:

I think the issue isn’t so much as “misrepresentation” but using familiar visual clues that the average audience could immediately pick up. This isn’t new – it happens often with so many cultural stereotypes portrayed in anime – China, India, any part of Europe. It could be argued as a budget problem or even endemic ‘laziness’ or ‘carelessness’. IMHO it could be a combination.

That said, when producers do have the right budget, visionary director and creative manpower, they can really do a fabulous job – Katsuhiro Otomo’s “Steamboy” is a great example.

I think it is a waste of effort to expect historical accuracy in television series like this (even if it is in noitamina slot).

13. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

Thanks for the fascinating post about architecture in the Netherlands. It’s cool to see that you have so much appreciation for your home land. I went to Amsterdam once but I don’t much about the Netherlands so it was interesting.

Also, you write very good English for a native dutch speaker.

• Huechi says:

Yep, it was an interesting read about the architecture.

And ha! psgels’ writing is better than that of many native english speakers.

14. Flawfinder says:

I don’t think anime has been going downhill so much as a combination of different trends and your taste changing over time. There’s a bunch of stuff I’ve seen in the past that I go back to these days and realize “yeah, that wasn’t very good”. And wasted potential isn’t exactly something new with noitamina, let alone anime in general.

I know Galilei disappointed, but I don’t think that’s an indication of any new downturn in anime. I’ve been burned in similar fashion with many anime in the past before it came. But that’s just me.

15. Mazz says:

@Spike This is to your comment about them only having a certain amount of time so they can’t research things like how a country looks.

I was looking at a few comments on Crunchyroll while marathoning Space Brothers, and was surprised when multiple people commented that he places the cast visited were actually real places (one episode, they visited a steakhouse I believe, and a few people confirmed its based on a popular on in houston or something). And it wasn’t that one time, it happens multiple times in Space brothers (trust me, I’ve read quite a few of those comments lol). If space brothers can do it, why can’t this show? Granted, this was a manga first and all, but it doesn’t change the fact that SOMEBODY went out of their way to look this stuff up, and I give props to shows that go the extra mile.

• Nyangoro says:

The extra effort is very appreciated, but I wouldn’t harp on a show like Galilei Donna too harshly for an inaccurate portrayal of a setting.

Let’s remember that Space Brothers is designed to be more grounded in reality than a prodigious girl who can create a goldfish-shaped vessel complete with holographic AI and a minigun.

• mezzoguitar says:

They don’t even have to go that far. Just looking up basic architecture and topography on the internet and getting an “idea” of what the Netherlands looks like would be preferable to dreaming up a fantasy European world from scratch.

• Spike says:

Comparing an anime based on a monthly manga to an original work written week by week is apples to oranges. The audiences of these 2 shows is apples to oranges. The settings’ importance is apples to ornages.

Texas space Center is an important part of the show so having Houston as realistic and accurate as possible is important. Gal Donna is your basic – go to a place, retrieve X, go to next place. The place is not important it is simply a device to move the plot along. I didn’t hear anyone crying about a misportrayed Italy the past few episodes… It’s simply Psgels getting worked up about something he’s familiar with and frankly – doesn’t matter.

• Mikey says:

Honestly, while you’re right about manga and original anime being completely different, that doesn’t mean we give Galilei Donna a free pass here. And it doesn’t matter if no one was complaining about Italy, two wrongs don’t make a right. The fact that it literally can take an hour of ones time to research and that clearly none was done is quite frankly unacceptable. It’s lazy and stupid and psgels has every right to complain about it. And it being fiction doesn’t give it a free pass either.

16. kero says:

learning lots about netherland :)

17. Emma-hime says:

Its hilarious..that this is the post that has me planning a holiday to Holland.

18. Cytl says:

This may be one of the best posts about the Netherlands and one of the worst episode reviews I’ve ever read.

19. Aline says:

what the fuck? i’m dutch and this is bullshit. As Aegd said, they fly around in a huge robotic goldfish, and you whine and moan about the netherlands being portrayed realistically? wasn’t expecting that.

20. Silverbeard says:

Probably the most hilarious psgels review I have read in the last few years.

21. sigh says:

So this is what autism is like, huh?

• Mikey says:

I never knew what a horrible excuse for a human was until you came along. Congratulations. You have now insulted everybody with autism.

• Shippoyasha says:

Not really. Getting obsessive about a singular topic can be a sign of autistic tendencies. It is what it is. It’s not meant to be an insult on that alone.

• Mikey says:

You honestly expect me to believe that sigh didn’t use that as an insult and was actually concerned that psgels might have autism? Right…

• Emma-hime says:

Speaking as someone who actually is autistic being compelled to do/say things and becoming driven on getting something done a specific way/in a certain time limit/before doing something else or latching onto things or ideas is a massive part of it. Can lead to a sense of feeling incomplete, unsatisfied, lack of worth, loss. In some cases when a fixation goes challenged or unmet it can lead to physical manifestations.
            Some autistics have difficulties with being touched, in social/relationship situations or being passionette/emotional about things. Generally will only get pissed off if they can’t satisfy something they feel they have no choice but to do.
            Hopefully that clears a bit up about autism.

• Emma-hime says:

Also another possible trait of the confusion part of autism is confusion about what your supposed to be as well
            =<

• Emma-hime says:

Additionally prudishness can be associated with Autism.
            I’m not really offended by the comment though. If someone makes an insult like that then surely they simply don’t count and why would an insult from a person who doesn’t count have any baring on me?

22. Isotopesam says:

I hated this show from day one.

• MisaoFan says:

I liked this anime, it’s not horrible but with the way it turns out now, my expectations gets betrayed as it continues on despite the fact I have hopes that the show have potential thanks to the unusual direction based on episode one alone.

23. notintheface11 says:

psgels whines about shows like this, wishing for something that can challenge him, and then poo-poos series like monogatari. Maybe you should quit letting your hipster-ism get in the way of your sensibilities and open up a bit more.

That said, I feel the same way about modern anime writing. So many series this season that had massive potential and then just kind of fell flat. I’ve been watching a lot of older stuff (and by older I mean pre-2009). I wouldn’t mind seeing you check out older shows that might have been missed or came out before you began blogging. I noticed you don’t have Suzumiya Haruhi in your blog history. Check it out! I’m sure I’m not the first one to suggest it to you.

• Firechick says:

He did write a review of it.

• notintheface11 says:

I see it now. I was searching for it by its Japanese name. That was painful to read. Like I said in my last post. Psgels doesn’t have anything to complain about if he’s going to turn up his nose at a series with good writing just because it’s well-loved. He even admits it in his review. Then you go around and praise series with awful writing and horribly flat characters like Birdy the Mighty and Noein. It makes no sense.

24. Nyangoro says:

Honestly, the biggest problem with Galilei Donna is character development, which feels a bit rushed for the girls and non-existent for the rest thanks to a cast that is way too large for it’s own good.

This show is 11 episodes long; and it’s already seen fit to have the three sisters, the Galileo nerd, the sisters’ parents who are operating separately, the underground criminal organization (or whatever vague sort of establishment it is), the front for the criminal organization, the pirates, and all the new characters they’ve been revealing for their weekly stories on top of that.

It’s way too cluttered.

25. Namaewoinai says:

I feel your pain about your review (and yet funny!) but i don’t truly mind about the inaccuracy about that country so much or what so ever…
    i just focusing on the plot…that’s all!

Sure this Show (or perhaps this episode only) has technical disappointments and difficulties. but i don’t think i despise it a lot more than any other show this season! JUST ASKING!

26. TheUltimateReaper says:

People are actually watching this?

27. Rachael says:

Wow, I didn’t realize there were so many inaccuracies. Personally I thought the episode itself was about average, but this makes me rethink it a little. Thanks for the review! ^__^

28. DaveE says:

I don’t know why you people hate Galilei Donna so much
    It’s actually the series i look forward the most this season
    It got that sense of adventure, neat character designs, with engaging battle(and cute AI) and a very neat soundtrack. It may not have the most groundbreaking ideas each week, but the story in a bigger scope has a great potential. Give it a rest, stop over analyzing, and try to enjoy the adventure guys. Geez

29. Sylpher says:

I absolutely loved your post! I do understand the complaints saying that the review content is inappropriate since you hardly cover the episode at all, but personally I agree with you: Screw this boring show and let’s talk about more interesting stuff like the Dutch streetscape the series addresses. Also, I don’t think the inaccurate portrayal of the Netherlands is the main reason of your dislike towards this show, but I have the feeling many people do.

Now the reason why I like your post is that I’ve never stood still thinking about the consequences of the Dutch polder model on the architecture of buildings. I realized that most terraced houses here are indeed small and long, you’re right about the gothic churches with small windows and the infrastructure is indeed build for pedestrian and cyclists safety. But to my knowledge most buildings in the Netherlands have a concrete foundation, only the area under sea level in the west use supporting pillars (“heien”).

Anyway, great post and maybe next time you can promote our open and tolerant culture towards controversial humanistic issues (well, at least compared to other countries).

30. Hogart says:

Pretty hilarious reading the comments on this one. Thanks psgels, this was all far more amusing and entertaining than the episode itself. The people taking this post of yours too seriously need to check themselves for a sense of humor. It’s nice to have someone call anime out on their BS once in a while. Plus it’s tacky to say “that’s just how it is with anime writing”, much moreso than focusing on the exceptionally poor presentation of the Netherlands here. The writers chose to put themselves in this position, and if there wasn’t anything else psgels noticed about the episode then you should probably get the hint that the episode wasn’t noteworthy beyond it’s bad understanding of other cultures.

31. Alec says:

It’s alright it won’t matter the next episode, because the goldfish wont be in Netherlands anymore.

It’s just one episode

32. Razors says:

I think Hogart’s comment sums all this quite well haha. By the way, a bit out of topic but psgels, i noticed that you have not reviewed a lot of episodes recently, or should I assume that your last paragraph answers this question.

33. ebisu says:

Really funny post :D

Everything is set in an alternate reality so you shouldn’t think to much about anything resembling Netherlands. It’s a world where they only use that methan-something as energy source and there are flying fishes. The episode was bad enough with that ending and those absurd pirate-terrorists.

As they like to write “This work is fiction, any resemblance with… bla bla”.
    This also happens to people in other countries with other supposed decent shows too often (anime, films, all kind) ¬¬. The problem is not just inside anime and its writers, I can assure you.
    (Plenty of foreign storywriters have made a terrible job with Spain, I don’t want to start with the list)

• Kiraly says:

Hollywood routinely misrepresents Washington DC, for cripe’s sake (did you know there are no skyscrapers there? At all?). It’s not limited to foreign countries, and sure as hell not to Japan.

34. Ashura01 says:

Well, I got the feeling that this show will be a bad noitama show when i saw the promo picture and the premise. No matter how I look at, it had the “The Next Guilty Crown” vibe from it. It’s really weird and i can’t get pass that. I just feel the whole premise even the art reminds me of Guilty Crown.

35. Emma-hime says:

Just would like to specify so I’m not entertaining hypocrisy if it was my country it would also bother me, in addition to that now that I know this happens in other things like movies in places like America I can also see how that would bother me/someone.

36. Kokoko says:

A mad Dutchman :D

37. kero says:

I just watched this, and I have to say, as someone who doesn’t know much about Netherlands, the inaccuracies didn’t bother me one bit. So I think that if that was ruled out, the episode was probably just your average episode of an anime that is probably average.

I liked that they didn’t save the kids at the end, but to be honest I’m overall left with a ‘meh’ feeling about it all.

38. Shippoyasha says:

We get it. You hate moe, you are itching to call anime creators idiots and like some old crank, can’t get over the fact this show obviously takes artistic liberties with Netherlands.

I thought it was a fine and entertaining episode.

If you have to rage that hard on nonconsequential liberties with setting, I sugest you drop it.

39. Pabby says:

Oh my! I always appreciate your opinions on the series I don’t watch but follow reviews of. Attention to detail (or lack of!) can really tip the scale of worthwhile-ness.
    I have to agree, there have been less and less shows that I’ve been interested in writing wise these past seasons!

40. Tim says:

Your review for this episode reminds me of ZabuAbumi’s sarcasm about episode 4 with the depiction of Germany. ^_^

41. Suburbanbanshee says:

I feel for you. Every time that Dayton, Ohio is portrayed on screen, be it in American live action drama or comedy, or in anime, said portrayal is pathetic and unrealistic, and the architecture is usually as far off as the landscape.

Of course, the best one is how the Wright Brothers are always testing their planes by running off cliffs in the gigantic mountains of Ohio and Indiana, when they actually did all their local flight practice in nice flat pasture areas. The fact that the Wrights actively avoided jumping off cliffs was one of the many instances of their superior engineering, piloting, and survival savvy.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

And yes, there are no gigantic mountains in Ohio. Some fair sized hills, cliffs, and gorges, but nothing close to mountains.

42. Shin325 says:

The writer of this article, though i assume he is Dutch as well, has a very poor understanding of the culture this country harbors. Dat wou ik even gezegd hebben.

43. Math162 says:

It’s funny that you whine so much about the inaccuracies about the Netherlands but doesn’t mind reviewing a show like Michiko to Hatchin, which is a very good show, but portray an image of Brazil that is nothing like the reality.

• gedata says:

That’s probably because he knows a lot more about his ho,e country then some random one that (I assume) he knows little about.

44. KatsumiTsunade says:

I have been reading ur blog forever now and never knew u were in the Netherlands…I also live here and saw the ep AND agree with u totally. I was laughing with my friends about it…anyway, keep doing what ur doing :)

45. Aris Boch says:

Goddamn inch pincher, who gives a fuck about some miniscule inaccuracies when watching portraying a fictional town in the future in a series with flying mechas, space colonization and some shit Galileo pulled out of his toches people several hundred years later give enough shit about to go and shoot each other up!? No-one, including about 99,99% of the Dutch viewers, I bet. Hell, about every animé ass-raping any language except Japanese with a piledriver and no lubricants is way much worse (no idea, why the fuck can’t they get some native speakers on the team, the isolation of Japan ended a few centuries ago!) than that!! The “Please, please, please get a life” Foundation was notified.
    P.S.: And this guy, who used “autism” as an insult can stick a grenade up his ass and mail the security pin to the show’s producers in Japan, cause he’s an asshole.

I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100