Posted by psgels on 19 January 2014 with categories: Some Quick First Impressions

I’m tired, and I’m soooo far behind. More details on why below, but I do want to finish my impression of this season, but with so many series looking like each other I’m going to do a quick version of the shows that I missed. I’ll try to catch up on the second episodes the upcoming week. I’m really sorry for all the delays.

No-Rin: This one really was terrible. Beyond moronic characters, incredibly annoying acting, and an incredibly pandering premise.

Sakura Trick: I like yuri because for some reason, creators know how to make some really fascinating series when they have lesbians in them (or even better, bisexuality), not just for the sake that there are lesbians in them. Sakura Trick is a show about girls making out. I’m not kidding: so much of this episode was about the awkward moment of the first kiss. Stupid premise, boring characters. Moving on.

Sekai Seifuku: This one had me intrigued for a while. Who are these people? How are they related? Why do they want to destroy the world? However, then the giant monsters showed up and everything turned generic and characters started wearing the most ridiculous outfits. Uh, the women, I mean. Also, as for why they’re conquering the world? It’s all instigated by a little girl. I see no potential in them developing this into anything worthwhile

Wizard Barristers: This was actually not half bad, for a first episode. Especially the animation here surprised me, coming from Arms. This just shows how much good production can trump a production studio’s reputation when it’s really trying, because this probably contained some of the best animation of the season. My big worry is consistency, because the creators here totally aren’t known for that. I know I have this cynical view now, but there have been too many series in 2013 that betrayed my trust for a good plot and characters. I really hope that 2014 will get rid of this cynicism…

Nisekoi: Oh boy, a shaft-series that actually doesn’t feel like an animated slide-show and the characters actually talk about stuff that’s relevant for once. It’s just too bad that this is the most generic premise for any series they’ve done so far (boring high school romance love triangle). Heck, everything that happened in this episode was standard romance fluff that we’ve seen done hundreds of time before. They did recycle the Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei despair-look, but hey. At least it’s a move in the right direction…

Inari Konkon: Oh thank god, finally! A school series that puts emphasis on thinking and learning. It comes up with situations that actually challenge the characters instead of being so mind-numbingly bland. With the current season I was really fearing that my taste had completely changed with how so many different series bored me to death. Now, this is obviously similar to Gingitsune, which I in the end found to be a bit too corny to work. This series doesn’t have the instantly likable characters, however it puts the characters in interesting situations. It’s about bloody time a show does that. You’re supposed to take characters and think: “what situations would get the best out of these characters?” – not “how can we make this character instantly likable outside of any context whatsoever”. That’s not sustainable in the long run!

Oneechan ga Kita: Yeah, the very first scene we see is about the main character walking in on his sister changing. Aside from that, this this was disturbing and weird when they turned the sister into this obsessive stalker.

Silver Spoon: A big reason for the past delays… was the first episode of this season. I have no idea what happened, but I set myself to watch it, and I just could not force myself to sit down and watch it. Why? This has some obviously good characters and it’s a look at farming… and yet something inside me just did not want to watch it. So thank god I finally managed to sit through it. And yeah, it was okay. The romance was a bit annoying (misunderstandings are rather boring…), but you know? It offered a look at school life in a far more detailed way than the other school shows, and the characters remain very versatile and down to earth. And yet, something inside me keeps yelling that I do not want to watch this…

Silver Spoon is objectively good, but I think that I’ve been to objective this season, and need to go back to my roots: creative and engaging series that most people gloss over. When criticizing, some parts indeed boil down to “does it make sense, does it know the writing rules, et cetera”, but the most important part that’s about whether you really like it or not is entirely subjective and incredibly difficult to really describe well. It’s this X-Factor that some shows have and others just don’t. I mean, say what you want about Nobunaga the Fool, for me it was one of the most entertaining first episodes of the new season due to how amazingly pretentious it tried to be. People made fun of me when I gave it such praises, and I realize that even though I’ve been blogging for a long time, I still notice that I still take all my comments very personally to the point where I’m trying to please everyone, instead of doing what I really want to do.

The thing with taste is that there are very different ways people look at anime, and connect with it. And I’m not talking about that “Type A and Type B otaku” that you see at places, that’s way too simplistic, not to mention that I never really considered myself an otaku (though granted it’s a term that many people have different definitions of). In the end what I really noticed is that I love series that are ambitious and combine storytelling, characters, animation, music, setting and symbolism into one whole that is larger than the sum of its parts.

Sorry what you had to witness these inner ramblings of mine.

1. Kiraly says:

Nobunaga the Fool had a really good first episode. Before this season started I got really, really bored with anime. A sort of ennui that made me seek out western entertainment, although I still followed anime blogs out of inertia.

Nobunaga the Fool was really the only thing I was interested in, although only because I really liked how the title sounded.

So I checked out.

It reminded me why I am an anime fan and why western entertainment will never satisfy me. It wasn’t perfect, but it was incredibly *anime*.

Since then I caught up with Kingdom and Magi (which are both beyond fantastic right now, it’s really a pity you dropped them) and watched an older series from 1999. That older series wasn’t that good (7/10), but it had a certain charm that anime lost in its effort to become more commercial.

I decided I’ll only watch the series I really, really like from now. Watching everything is a waste of time. Sure, a series might be mediocre-good enough to keep me watching it, but I’ll forget it anyway in 6 months so what was the point?

Then again, most series that left an impression on me were things I didn’t expect to (like Kotoura).

2. unknown says:

If there isnt anything you like this season, watch Yamato 2199 which is an excellent space opera.

Also more people should watch Gundam Build Fighters, because watching their favorite Gundam beating the shit out of each other is glorious despite being aimed for a younger audience.

• boku says:

Have to agree with that. There isn’t much I like this season, so I started watching Yamato 2199, and even though I haven’t watched a space series since Nadesico aired, so far I’m finding it surprisingly solid. Makes me wonder why more series aren’t this solid.

• JaK says:

probably because it was released bluray releases and the studio had months of time to sharpen and polish each episode after the movie segments so the animation was very very solid though it really was enjoyable

3. Flawfinder says:

Sekai Seifuku is all about why you’d want to become a minion of an evil organization, as well as a satire on how otaku-pandering is taking over the world. How is that not ambitious? :D

• Deadlight says:

Yeah, I agree. Sekai Seifuku was awesome :P

• cladinblue says:

Yeah, if you look past the cliches and their costumes (if you don;t find them entertaining), there’s really something here. Pay more attention the script/dialogue and you’ll see interesting things.

• Shadell says:

Sekai Seifuku is the antithesis to Samurai Flamenco. They’re both lighthearted takes on the superhero/sentai genre. Instead of the heroes, Sekai Seifuku seems to be about the people following the surprisingly average behind the scenes of a cliche sentai villain group.

To that end the silly outfits are another party of the parody, though there’s probably an element there aimed at catching the creepyish loli obsessed demographic of the otakudom.

4. AidanAK47 says:

“And I need to really convince myself: only you know your own taste best, every taste is unique and worthwhile, and judging others for their taste in anime is most often… quite immature.”

And this is where I beg to differ.(I am sure you seen that coming) There is such a thing as people with worthless taste in anime. Otherwise harems, sword art online, etc wouldn’t sell nearly as well. Judging a person by there taste isn’t immature so long as you have good reasons. Cursing the hell out of someone for their taste is immature.(But sadly fun)

But Psgels, and take note that this is a pretty big deal coming from me of all people, I do not think you have bad taste. For the most part I trust that you know whats good to watch and what is just a waste of time. Really saves me from having to check out each seasons lineup for myself. Sure you tend to get a bit too excited about shows with unusual animation and you have your odd guilty pleasures that no one can really get. Nobodies perfect. I for one certainly cannot explain my absolute love for gurren lagann and type moon to anyone which leaves me in a bit of trouble when it comes to defending them. And at times you can bring up points which I myself missed.
    As for the internet, we tend to take any opportunity to rip a opinion in two. As hard as it is it’s best not to take it too personally. My way of things is to say whatever the hell I want and not give a damn what people think. And it’s worked well so far.

• guest says:

I dont even know where to begin…

“There is such a thing as people with worthless taste in anime” – Yes, you are obviously. That is of course – bullcrap. How they say – You cant argue about taste. What are you even doing that for? Its a waste of time. I mean, I can even say you’re completely weird for liking anime. And – according to you, now I have the right to call you worthless.
      Of course, since Im not saying what you are, Id never say that and Id never think that either. To tell the truth – yes, you are quite immature.

Take this sentence as further evidence:
      ” My way of things is to say whatever the hell I want and not give a damn what people think. And it’s worked well so far.”

So why even say anything if you dont give a damn about the reactions? Thats failed communication! You fail at communicating. And also you like insulting without caring what the insulted one thinks? Well, you know how people that behave like that are called.

Dont bother replying. But I dont think youd want to – you dont care about other peoples reaction anyways, do you? Also I wont read your response – I wont come here again, and also for once – I really dont care about someones opinion.

• AidanAK47 says:

Of course you can argue about taste. That’s all people on the internet do. And yeah, you can say I am weird for liking anime but that’s not relevant, because that’s not arguing taste that’s simply dismissing something. I can just say it’s just not your thing. But my silly little friend, media has levels of quality. There are bad anime and good anime. That is not even debatable. If someone told you that his favorite animes were dime a dozen harems and guilty crown would you honestly tell me this person does not have bad taste? You would probably say something like “Everyone has different taste” but that’s just dodging the issue. Because every anime, no matter how bad, is to someones taste. But that’s doesn’t mean there are no bad anime.
        Silly fellow, faking maturity is true immaturity.

“And also you like insulting without caring what the insulted one thinks? Well, you know how people that behave like that are called.”

Hypocrisy is a funny thing. So let us take your words and put them back to you. You are insulting me, don’t deny it. You may not use the word f*ck or an equivalent but hell what you are saying is equally as demeaning. Yet you yourself have stated that you don’t care what I think about this, state you will not bother to read my reply and I should not bother replying. That is exactly the same as me. But at least I am more honest about it. Well isn’t that funny?

Have fun old chap. You won’t read this but like I said. I don’t care. I just love pointing out peoples mistakes. Thanks for the entertainment. Now to get back to torchlight 2….

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Totally agree with everything you said Aidan, Its funny, I’ve gotten used to the internet and before someone even STARTS saying something plain wrong, or more appropriately, moved by emotion to state somethign rather than pure facts and observation, I can quickly scroll past the guy. Like the poster above, I saw like the first five words, and alreayd KNEW that he was:

1)Upset at your comments

2)insult you in some sort of way (which he did)

3)have nothing really worthwhile to say. . .that hasn’t been said by the same types of people who have quick emotional reactions to discussiosn on the internet. It;s really just the same thing being said over and over.

Anyway, glad you took the time out to call that guy out on his B.S. I’ve gotten so good at sussing people like that pretty quickly that I just don’t even recognize their existence haha.

5. Spike says:

I think the main problem you are running into is that you are looking for ‘art’ (shin seki yori, Evangelion, etc) while most of the Japanese public/otaku are looking for ‘entertainment’ (Code Geass, Kill la Kill, One Piece, Negima) When you come into an ‘entertainment’ piece looking for ‘art’ – of course you will be dissapointed, crossover is really really rare (cowboy bebop imo is my best example) That’s why I always check out 2 or 3 preview guides for the upcoming season so I know what to expect and set my bar accordingly. That’s why many people so are pissed at Samurai Flamenco, we thought we were getting ‘art’ and got ???? .

When I see a harem show, I don’t bash it because its a harem show, I either watch it because I want to watch a Harem show, or I skip it. It’s when I’m expecting a serious show and end up with a harem show I get pissed.

Perhaps it might be best if you research and simply skip shows you KNOW you will hate instead of forcing yourself for the sake of the blog, it might actually help with your anime ‘burnout’. It’s really not that helpful/interesting to read you bash the latest installment of “sister falls in love with brother” or “Highschool kid builds harem” anyway.

• kero says:

I think Spike makes a good point here. Maybe don’t force yourself to view/comment on Harem/incest shows that you know you’ll dislike, and only comment if you see one that you think is good?

6. kero says:

Thanks for posting. I’m going to check out Inari Konkon on the basis of your short review.

I’m sorry that you’re getting upset due to dickish behaviour from people who come onto this blog for no reason than to act like dicks (IMO)

I really liked Nobunaga’s first episode.. so you’re not alone, and I went back to add in the comments for that review. There were good things about it: the artwork and the way they framed some of the scenes.

_

I am surprised that you couldn’t get into Gin No Saji, because it’s one of my favourites, are you going to drop it?

• JaK says:

i been following inari manga for a while, if the anime is anything like the manga it will take like 3-4 episodes to take off but when it does it really is charming especially uka x the older bro ( much more intrusting then the main pair)

7. alicelights says:

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve not been enjoying Silver Spoon. I had been looking forward to your review of it. I like reading intelligent and insightful reviews after watching shows.

I’m still really loving it (even though I already read the manga). I find myself really wanting to watch it too.

I think I agree with Spike though about you maybe looking for ‘art’ amongst ‘entertainment’. I watch anime rarely now since I’m too picky. Do you watch live action or other dramas? The only television I am watching these days is the second series of ‘The Bridge’ (Swedish/Danish show) which I am totally in love with. Have you seen that? I think might like it based on your past reviews.

8. Pouf says:

Please try to catch up with Hunter x Hunter. The first two episodes of 2014 were truly excellent.

9. Sobakus says:

I don’t know why, but for some reason it wasn’t exciting for me to watch Silver Spoon 2S too. It’s still good, but… Nothing special about it. I haven’t felt a single thing watching it – no thoughts, no emotions. It seems I can’t relate myself to anything that’s happening on the screen.

Meanwhile was watching Steins; Gate The Movie and Makoto Shinkai’s The Garden of Words. Both awesome. Makes you believe anime is still alive and breathing.

10. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I personally think this is a good direction for you to go into. If you try to be objective with anime, then reason your way through it, that’s akin to trying to have objective “taste,” which isn’t going to happen.

11. Bur says:

In the end this is your blog. You’re under no obligation to please us. I think most of us are here because we respect your opinions in the first place, even when we don’t always agree with them.

12. Elkon says:

psgels started to grow out of cartoons, sway from path and becoming a adult. it’s time to make family, grow a tree and build a house.

13. Lamarck says:

You seem to be getting really burned out on anime. I’d advise taking a holiday from it for a while. Watching anime should not be a chore it should not feel like a job and when you treat it as such you pull the industry down.

14. Rednights says:

Nagi no Asukara which I see you left at ep 7 probably the strongest in story, or at least emotional pull, I’ve seen far, it’s going super strong at the moment. None of the new shows are holding my attention either, besides buddy complex i suppose, that’s a semi traditional mecha ..

• Mormegil says:

Yeah. Nagi no Asukara has been great. Thankfully, we have a few good shows that are carrying over from the Fall season.

15. K says:

Psgels, I agree with the other posters who wrote that you seem to be looking to anime for art more than entertainment. I always read your reviews to decide which shows I want to watch each season and I’ve been following your blog for years. I think you definitely have good taste in anime and while our tastes may not align 100%, I trust your judgement. With that being said, perhaps, as Lamarack mentioned, you should consider taking a break from anime. I would rather you take a posting hiatus than cease posting altogether. And please don’t force yourself to review series you already know you will dislike. Focus on the series that show promise and that you have passion for. I wish you the best and look forward to reading your reviews in the future. :)

16. cladinblue says:

I think this is evident from this post, but a lot of us who do respect you and your taste rarely comment. Many of us only comment at times like this or on titles we have somewhat strong feelings for. These “immature” people are always vocal but they’re actually very few compared to us who respect and trust your judgements even if we don’t agree with them.
    btw, I also didn’t like Nobunaga the Fool

• hoiut says:

I second this. Although I won’t say anything about my maturity level. :P

“Any writing that you produce is worth reading.” When you realize some people think like that (I’m pretty much among them), writing becomes more enjoyable and you don’t hold yourself accountable for pleasing such-and-such. That said, it’s easier to stalk the blog than comment in it, so that’s what I do mainly.

17. lol says:

Im certain many people who enjoy reading your blog just dont comment like me. Ive come to this blog for over 2 years and havent said a word.

18. tetsuo says:

Same here i read this Blog for a few years now and its my nr1 spot for information on new series to consider, altough our tastes are not entirely the same and im looking more for entertainment in animes then art there where a lot of series i would never had considered watching if you hadnt blogged them.

19. Juno says:

“…and the characters actually talk about stuff that’s relevant for once.”

lol Don’t blame SHAFT for NisiOisin writing. NisiOisin is one of my favorite writers, so I’m very confident the “irrelevant topic” tradition is his–not SHAFT’s… though I’m also confident the “irrelevant topic” accusation is a bit exaggerated, even there. Much of the time, especially as a series moves on, the topics start focusing heavily on the psyche of the characters and everything that is relevant to them as a person, and that’s what I really love about his work. As for SHAFT, as Madoka (among several other series) has shown, they’re very capable of avoiding irrelevant talk when it’s not a subject of the series.

Regardless, do what you want to do, psgels. Even the people who do get frustrated at your views still respect you and they won’t leave or do anything bad just because they disagree. The more honest you feel about what you’re saying, the more we tend to trust and enjoy reading your words. Your taste isn’t like everyone else’s, but it’s still trustworthy. Keep it up!

20. HunterWulf says:

Wizard Barristers actually isn’t fantastic looking becasue of ARMS alone, it IS Umetsu Yasuomi, this series has his fingerprints and style all over it .. after all he is doing the Original Plan, Direction, Series Composition and Character Design for this series (pretty much everything XD).

I mean after all Kite and Mezzo Forte (minus the sex-scenes) has some of the most impressively animated/choreographed set-pieces, they were some of the most funny and over-the-top action scenes i ever saw (despite being gory), so it’s good to see his skills being used for a normal series where he is in full control (well he did work on Galilei Donna, but it’s wasn’t really “his” series), and i’m also interested in Wizard Barristers becasue mixing “magic” and “civil law” is quite an interesting idea and with such impressive animation it’s sure going to be a delightful watch even if the story and characters might not be perfect.

So i’m kinda surprised you didn’t mention Umetsu Yasuomi’s name at all in the part about Wizard Barristers and just talked about the studio ?

21. Hokkaido says:

The only anime with potential this season is Mahou Senseou, IMO

• KaZuHiRo says:

Are you serious?? The first episode was horribly interpreted. I did watch the second episode and felt the same way. I do agree that it’s entertaining.

22. cake says:

psgels — you should watch what you enjoy!
    would be boring if we all had the same taste…

what i’m liking this season:
    Hoozuki no Retetsu
    Inari, KonKon Koi Iroha
    Gin no Saji Season 2

am checking out some others but feel undecided about them.

still enjoying HXH, Log Horizon & Yowamushi Pedal ! :)

23. Amy says:

That last sentence made the post for me haha.

24. Piotr says:

I’ve been following your blog for two years, and I read a bunch of your archives. I am afraid you are burning out – either on anime or on blogging… it’s a shame, as I really like what you were doing – but that’s the only way to explain your recent rants :(

25. hoiut says:

I also want to point out that your general impressions of the season (including the whole feeling of tiredness or “burning out”) is actually shared by a few other bloggers I’m following. So with this backing, I think it’s safe to say it’s not you, it’s the season. This season is proving to be a bit less remarkable than “lackluster” so far.

26. Sword Testing Cliff says:

Also Psgels, As muhc as I enjoy your blog, I think you are being entirely too whiny about people giving you crap because you liked a bad show. For one:

1)no one is perfect, even good reviewers get stuff wrong in regards to defining what’s good and bad (tase has nothing to do with it, that’s a copout plain and simple)

2) You like a bad show. . .and?

3)people said not nice things to you on the internet:

I’m sorry but dude, you gotta get a bit more thicker skin than that, this is the internet, people say shit about everyone all the time, come on. . .Really please stop whining and crying abotu something so trivial! If you make a mistake and people shout at you. . .so what?

I think you need to start eating some meat and hitting the gym (weight lifting) It sounds like you’ve gotta a little too much estrogen in ya.

27. sarma says:

I love your blog. *_*

28. Perry Tanko says:

The only thing more amazing than kissing a girl… is watching two girls kiss.

29. The Hergula says:

Looking forward to Wizard Barristers actually, and I liked ur two cents.

Heard of it, don't know anything of it.
Anonymous2043546
anyone know OpenGL
Rather nice inclusion that they had the voice actors actually speaking Ainu in Kamuy's third episode.
Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not

Megalo Box – 3 [Gear Is Dead]

Another week, another good episode of Megalo Box. Its like dose of old school action. This week we get a subversion of the “upgrade” and some evidence of how bad life in the slums really is. Lets jump in! So my first thought after finishing this episode was, wow there are some awesome camera shots […]

Hinamatsuri – 03 [Hobo Life 101]

Hinamatsuri week 3 plays like an extension to Anzu and Hitomi’s stories last week. It’s like two sides of a same coin where you can see these girls grow in a direction you don’t expect (NO innuendo here), albeit at the cost of the central chemistry between Nitta and Hina. Here’s the trick to why […]

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]