Posted by psgels on 19 January 2014 with categories: Some Quick First Impressions

I’m tired, and I’m soooo far behind. More details on why below, but I do want to finish my impression of this season, but with so many series looking like each other I’m going to do a quick version of the shows that I missed. I’ll try to catch up on the second episodes the upcoming week. I’m really sorry for all the delays.

No-Rin: This one really was terrible. Beyond moronic characters, incredibly annoying acting, and an incredibly pandering premise.

Sakura Trick: I like yuri because for some reason, creators know how to make some really fascinating series when they have lesbians in them (or even better, bisexuality), not just for the sake that there are lesbians in them. Sakura Trick is a show about girls making out. I’m not kidding: so much of this episode was about the awkward moment of the first kiss. Stupid premise, boring characters. Moving on.

Sekai Seifuku: This one had me intrigued for a while. Who are these people? How are they related? Why do they want to destroy the world? However, then the giant monsters showed up and everything turned generic and characters started wearing the most ridiculous outfits. Uh, the women, I mean. Also, as for why they’re conquering the world? It’s all instigated by a little girl. I see no potential in them developing this into anything worthwhile

Wizard Barristers: This was actually not half bad, for a first episode. Especially the animation here surprised me, coming from Arms. This just shows how much good production can trump a production studio’s reputation when it’s really trying, because this probably contained some of the best animation of the season. My big worry is consistency, because the creators here totally aren’t known for that. I know I have this cynical view now, but there have been too many series in 2013 that betrayed my trust for a good plot and characters. I really hope that 2014 will get rid of this cynicism…

Nisekoi: Oh boy, a shaft-series that actually doesn’t feel like an animated slide-show and the characters actually talk about stuff that’s relevant for once. It’s just too bad that this is the most generic premise for any series they’ve done so far (boring high school romance love triangle). Heck, everything that happened in this episode was standard romance fluff that we’ve seen done hundreds of time before. They did recycle the Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei despair-look, but hey. At least it’s a move in the right direction…

Inari Konkon: Oh thank god, finally! A school series that puts emphasis on thinking and learning. It comes up with situations that actually challenge the characters instead of being so mind-numbingly bland. With the current season I was really fearing that my taste had completely changed with how so many different series bored me to death. Now, this is obviously similar to Gingitsune, which I in the end found to be a bit too corny to work. This series doesn’t have the instantly likable characters, however it puts the characters in interesting situations. It’s about bloody time a show does that. You’re supposed to take characters and think: “what situations would get the best out of these characters?” – not “how can we make this character instantly likable outside of any context whatsoever”. That’s not sustainable in the long run!

Oneechan ga Kita: Yeah, the very first scene we see is about the main character walking in on his sister changing. Aside from that, this this was disturbing and weird when they turned the sister into this obsessive stalker.

Silver Spoon: A big reason for the past delays… was the first episode of this season. I have no idea what happened, but I set myself to watch it, and I just could not force myself to sit down and watch it. Why? This has some obviously good characters and it’s a look at farming… and yet something inside me just did not want to watch it. So thank god I finally managed to sit through it. And yeah, it was okay. The romance was a bit annoying (misunderstandings are rather boring…), but you know? It offered a look at school life in a far more detailed way than the other school shows, and the characters remain very versatile and down to earth. And yet, something inside me keeps yelling that I do not want to watch this…

Silver Spoon is objectively good, but I think that I’ve been to objective this season, and need to go back to my roots: creative and engaging series that most people gloss over. When criticizing, some parts indeed boil down to “does it make sense, does it know the writing rules, et cetera”, but the most important part that’s about whether you really like it or not is entirely subjective and incredibly difficult to really describe well. It’s this X-Factor that some shows have and others just don’t. I mean, say what you want about Nobunaga the Fool, for me it was one of the most entertaining first episodes of the new season due to how amazingly pretentious it tried to be. People made fun of me when I gave it such praises, and I realize that even though I’ve been blogging for a long time, I still notice that I still take all my comments very personally to the point where I’m trying to please everyone, instead of doing what I really want to do.

The thing with taste is that there are very different ways people look at anime, and connect with it. And I’m not talking about that “Type A and Type B otaku” that you see at places, that’s way too simplistic, not to mention that I never really considered myself an otaku (though granted it’s a term that many people have different definitions of). In the end what I really noticed is that I love series that are ambitious and combine storytelling, characters, animation, music, setting and symbolism into one whole that is larger than the sum of its parts.

Sorry what you had to witness these inner ramblings of mine.

1. Kiraly says:

Nobunaga the Fool had a really good first episode. Before this season started I got really, really bored with anime. A sort of ennui that made me seek out western entertainment, although I still followed anime blogs out of inertia.

Nobunaga the Fool was really the only thing I was interested in, although only because I really liked how the title sounded.

So I checked out.

It reminded me why I am an anime fan and why western entertainment will never satisfy me. It wasn’t perfect, but it was incredibly *anime*.

Since then I caught up with Kingdom and Magi (which are both beyond fantastic right now, it’s really a pity you dropped them) and watched an older series from 1999. That older series wasn’t that good (7/10), but it had a certain charm that anime lost in its effort to become more commercial.

I decided I’ll only watch the series I really, really like from now. Watching everything is a waste of time. Sure, a series might be mediocre-good enough to keep me watching it, but I’ll forget it anyway in 6 months so what was the point?

Then again, most series that left an impression on me were things I didn’t expect to (like Kotoura).

2. unknown says:

If there isnt anything you like this season, watch Yamato 2199 which is an excellent space opera.

Also more people should watch Gundam Build Fighters, because watching their favorite Gundam beating the shit out of each other is glorious despite being aimed for a younger audience.

• boku says:

Have to agree with that. There isn’t much I like this season, so I started watching Yamato 2199, and even though I haven’t watched a space series since Nadesico aired, so far I’m finding it surprisingly solid. Makes me wonder why more series aren’t this solid.

• JaK says:

probably because it was released bluray releases and the studio had months of time to sharpen and polish each episode after the movie segments so the animation was very very solid though it really was enjoyable

3. Flawfinder says:

Sekai Seifuku is all about why you’d want to become a minion of an evil organization, as well as a satire on how otaku-pandering is taking over the world. How is that not ambitious? :D

• Deadlight says:

Yeah, I agree. Sekai Seifuku was awesome :P

• cladinblue says:

Yeah, if you look past the cliches and their costumes (if you don;t find them entertaining), there’s really something here. Pay more attention the script/dialogue and you’ll see interesting things.

• Shadell says:

Sekai Seifuku is the antithesis to Samurai Flamenco. They’re both lighthearted takes on the superhero/sentai genre. Instead of the heroes, Sekai Seifuku seems to be about the people following the surprisingly average behind the scenes of a cliche sentai villain group.

To that end the silly outfits are another party of the parody, though there’s probably an element there aimed at catching the creepyish loli obsessed demographic of the otakudom.

4. AidanAK47 says:

“And I need to really convince myself: only you know your own taste best, every taste is unique and worthwhile, and judging others for their taste in anime is most often… quite immature.”

And this is where I beg to differ.(I am sure you seen that coming) There is such a thing as people with worthless taste in anime. Otherwise harems, sword art online, etc wouldn’t sell nearly as well. Judging a person by there taste isn’t immature so long as you have good reasons. Cursing the hell out of someone for their taste is immature.(But sadly fun)

But Psgels, and take note that this is a pretty big deal coming from me of all people, I do not think you have bad taste. For the most part I trust that you know whats good to watch and what is just a waste of time. Really saves me from having to check out each seasons lineup for myself. Sure you tend to get a bit too excited about shows with unusual animation and you have your odd guilty pleasures that no one can really get. Nobodies perfect. I for one certainly cannot explain my absolute love for gurren lagann and type moon to anyone which leaves me in a bit of trouble when it comes to defending them. And at times you can bring up points which I myself missed.
    As for the internet, we tend to take any opportunity to rip a opinion in two. As hard as it is it’s best not to take it too personally. My way of things is to say whatever the hell I want and not give a damn what people think. And it’s worked well so far.

• guest says:

I dont even know where to begin…

“There is such a thing as people with worthless taste in anime” – Yes, you are obviously. That is of course – bullcrap. How they say – You cant argue about taste. What are you even doing that for? Its a waste of time. I mean, I can even say you’re completely weird for liking anime. And – according to you, now I have the right to call you worthless.
      Of course, since Im not saying what you are, Id never say that and Id never think that either. To tell the truth – yes, you are quite immature.

Take this sentence as further evidence:
      ” My way of things is to say whatever the hell I want and not give a damn what people think. And it’s worked well so far.”

So why even say anything if you dont give a damn about the reactions? Thats failed communication! You fail at communicating. And also you like insulting without caring what the insulted one thinks? Well, you know how people that behave like that are called.

Dont bother replying. But I dont think youd want to – you dont care about other peoples reaction anyways, do you? Also I wont read your response – I wont come here again, and also for once – I really dont care about someones opinion.

• AidanAK47 says:

Of course you can argue about taste. That’s all people on the internet do. And yeah, you can say I am weird for liking anime but that’s not relevant, because that’s not arguing taste that’s simply dismissing something. I can just say it’s just not your thing. But my silly little friend, media has levels of quality. There are bad anime and good anime. That is not even debatable. If someone told you that his favorite animes were dime a dozen harems and guilty crown would you honestly tell me this person does not have bad taste? You would probably say something like “Everyone has different taste” but that’s just dodging the issue. Because every anime, no matter how bad, is to someones taste. But that’s doesn’t mean there are no bad anime.
        Silly fellow, faking maturity is true immaturity.

“And also you like insulting without caring what the insulted one thinks? Well, you know how people that behave like that are called.”

Hypocrisy is a funny thing. So let us take your words and put them back to you. You are insulting me, don’t deny it. You may not use the word f*ck or an equivalent but hell what you are saying is equally as demeaning. Yet you yourself have stated that you don’t care what I think about this, state you will not bother to read my reply and I should not bother replying. That is exactly the same as me. But at least I am more honest about it. Well isn’t that funny?

Have fun old chap. You won’t read this but like I said. I don’t care. I just love pointing out peoples mistakes. Thanks for the entertainment. Now to get back to torchlight 2….

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Totally agree with everything you said Aidan, Its funny, I’ve gotten used to the internet and before someone even STARTS saying something plain wrong, or more appropriately, moved by emotion to state somethign rather than pure facts and observation, I can quickly scroll past the guy. Like the poster above, I saw like the first five words, and alreayd KNEW that he was:

1)Upset at your comments

2)insult you in some sort of way (which he did)

3)have nothing really worthwhile to say. . .that hasn’t been said by the same types of people who have quick emotional reactions to discussiosn on the internet. It;s really just the same thing being said over and over.

Anyway, glad you took the time out to call that guy out on his B.S. I’ve gotten so good at sussing people like that pretty quickly that I just don’t even recognize their existence haha.

5. Spike says:

I think the main problem you are running into is that you are looking for ‘art’ (shin seki yori, Evangelion, etc) while most of the Japanese public/otaku are looking for ‘entertainment’ (Code Geass, Kill la Kill, One Piece, Negima) When you come into an ‘entertainment’ piece looking for ‘art’ – of course you will be dissapointed, crossover is really really rare (cowboy bebop imo is my best example) That’s why I always check out 2 or 3 preview guides for the upcoming season so I know what to expect and set my bar accordingly. That’s why many people so are pissed at Samurai Flamenco, we thought we were getting ‘art’ and got ???? .

When I see a harem show, I don’t bash it because its a harem show, I either watch it because I want to watch a Harem show, or I skip it. It’s when I’m expecting a serious show and end up with a harem show I get pissed.

Perhaps it might be best if you research and simply skip shows you KNOW you will hate instead of forcing yourself for the sake of the blog, it might actually help with your anime ‘burnout’. It’s really not that helpful/interesting to read you bash the latest installment of “sister falls in love with brother” or “Highschool kid builds harem” anyway.

• kero says:

I think Spike makes a good point here. Maybe don’t force yourself to view/comment on Harem/incest shows that you know you’ll dislike, and only comment if you see one that you think is good?

6. kero says:

Thanks for posting. I’m going to check out Inari Konkon on the basis of your short review.

I’m sorry that you’re getting upset due to dickish behaviour from people who come onto this blog for no reason than to act like dicks (IMO)

I really liked Nobunaga’s first episode.. so you’re not alone, and I went back to add in the comments for that review. There were good things about it: the artwork and the way they framed some of the scenes.

_

I am surprised that you couldn’t get into Gin No Saji, because it’s one of my favourites, are you going to drop it?

• JaK says:

i been following inari manga for a while, if the anime is anything like the manga it will take like 3-4 episodes to take off but when it does it really is charming especially uka x the older bro ( much more intrusting then the main pair)

7. alicelights says:

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve not been enjoying Silver Spoon. I had been looking forward to your review of it. I like reading intelligent and insightful reviews after watching shows.

I’m still really loving it (even though I already read the manga). I find myself really wanting to watch it too.

I think I agree with Spike though about you maybe looking for ‘art’ amongst ‘entertainment’. I watch anime rarely now since I’m too picky. Do you watch live action or other dramas? The only television I am watching these days is the second series of ‘The Bridge’ (Swedish/Danish show) which I am totally in love with. Have you seen that? I think might like it based on your past reviews.

8. Pouf says:

Please try to catch up with Hunter x Hunter. The first two episodes of 2014 were truly excellent.

9. Sobakus says:

I don’t know why, but for some reason it wasn’t exciting for me to watch Silver Spoon 2S too. It’s still good, but… Nothing special about it. I haven’t felt a single thing watching it – no thoughts, no emotions. It seems I can’t relate myself to anything that’s happening on the screen.

Meanwhile was watching Steins; Gate The Movie and Makoto Shinkai’s The Garden of Words. Both awesome. Makes you believe anime is still alive and breathing.

10. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I personally think this is a good direction for you to go into. If you try to be objective with anime, then reason your way through it, that’s akin to trying to have objective “taste,” which isn’t going to happen.

11. Bur says:

In the end this is your blog. You’re under no obligation to please us. I think most of us are here because we respect your opinions in the first place, even when we don’t always agree with them.

12. Elkon says:

psgels started to grow out of cartoons, sway from path and becoming a adult. it’s time to make family, grow a tree and build a house.

13. Lamarck says:

You seem to be getting really burned out on anime. I’d advise taking a holiday from it for a while. Watching anime should not be a chore it should not feel like a job and when you treat it as such you pull the industry down.

14. Rednights says:

Nagi no Asukara which I see you left at ep 7 probably the strongest in story, or at least emotional pull, I’ve seen far, it’s going super strong at the moment. None of the new shows are holding my attention either, besides buddy complex i suppose, that’s a semi traditional mecha ..

• Mormegil says:

Yeah. Nagi no Asukara has been great. Thankfully, we have a few good shows that are carrying over from the Fall season.

15. K says:

Psgels, I agree with the other posters who wrote that you seem to be looking to anime for art more than entertainment. I always read your reviews to decide which shows I want to watch each season and I’ve been following your blog for years. I think you definitely have good taste in anime and while our tastes may not align 100%, I trust your judgement. With that being said, perhaps, as Lamarack mentioned, you should consider taking a break from anime. I would rather you take a posting hiatus than cease posting altogether. And please don’t force yourself to review series you already know you will dislike. Focus on the series that show promise and that you have passion for. I wish you the best and look forward to reading your reviews in the future. :)

16. cladinblue says:

I think this is evident from this post, but a lot of us who do respect you and your taste rarely comment. Many of us only comment at times like this or on titles we have somewhat strong feelings for. These “immature” people are always vocal but they’re actually very few compared to us who respect and trust your judgements even if we don’t agree with them.
    btw, I also didn’t like Nobunaga the Fool

• hoiut says:

I second this. Although I won’t say anything about my maturity level. :P

“Any writing that you produce is worth reading.” When you realize some people think like that (I’m pretty much among them), writing becomes more enjoyable and you don’t hold yourself accountable for pleasing such-and-such. That said, it’s easier to stalk the blog than comment in it, so that’s what I do mainly.

17. lol says:

Im certain many people who enjoy reading your blog just dont comment like me. Ive come to this blog for over 2 years and havent said a word.

18. tetsuo says:

Same here i read this Blog for a few years now and its my nr1 spot for information on new series to consider, altough our tastes are not entirely the same and im looking more for entertainment in animes then art there where a lot of series i would never had considered watching if you hadnt blogged them.

19. Juno says:

“…and the characters actually talk about stuff that’s relevant for once.”

lol Don’t blame SHAFT for NisiOisin writing. NisiOisin is one of my favorite writers, so I’m very confident the “irrelevant topic” tradition is his–not SHAFT’s… though I’m also confident the “irrelevant topic” accusation is a bit exaggerated, even there. Much of the time, especially as a series moves on, the topics start focusing heavily on the psyche of the characters and everything that is relevant to them as a person, and that’s what I really love about his work. As for SHAFT, as Madoka (among several other series) has shown, they’re very capable of avoiding irrelevant talk when it’s not a subject of the series.

Regardless, do what you want to do, psgels. Even the people who do get frustrated at your views still respect you and they won’t leave or do anything bad just because they disagree. The more honest you feel about what you’re saying, the more we tend to trust and enjoy reading your words. Your taste isn’t like everyone else’s, but it’s still trustworthy. Keep it up!

20. HunterWulf says:

Wizard Barristers actually isn’t fantastic looking becasue of ARMS alone, it IS Umetsu Yasuomi, this series has his fingerprints and style all over it .. after all he is doing the Original Plan, Direction, Series Composition and Character Design for this series (pretty much everything XD).

I mean after all Kite and Mezzo Forte (minus the sex-scenes) has some of the most impressively animated/choreographed set-pieces, they were some of the most funny and over-the-top action scenes i ever saw (despite being gory), so it’s good to see his skills being used for a normal series where he is in full control (well he did work on Galilei Donna, but it’s wasn’t really “his” series), and i’m also interested in Wizard Barristers becasue mixing “magic” and “civil law” is quite an interesting idea and with such impressive animation it’s sure going to be a delightful watch even if the story and characters might not be perfect.

So i’m kinda surprised you didn’t mention Umetsu Yasuomi’s name at all in the part about Wizard Barristers and just talked about the studio ?

21. Hokkaido says:

The only anime with potential this season is Mahou Senseou, IMO

• KaZuHiRo says:

Are you serious?? The first episode was horribly interpreted. I did watch the second episode and felt the same way. I do agree that it’s entertaining.

22. cake says:

psgels — you should watch what you enjoy!
    would be boring if we all had the same taste…

what i’m liking this season:
    Hoozuki no Retetsu
    Inari, KonKon Koi Iroha
    Gin no Saji Season 2

am checking out some others but feel undecided about them.

still enjoying HXH, Log Horizon & Yowamushi Pedal ! :)

23. Amy says:

That last sentence made the post for me haha.

24. Piotr says:

I’ve been following your blog for two years, and I read a bunch of your archives. I am afraid you are burning out – either on anime or on blogging… it’s a shame, as I really like what you were doing – but that’s the only way to explain your recent rants :(

25. hoiut says:

I also want to point out that your general impressions of the season (including the whole feeling of tiredness or “burning out”) is actually shared by a few other bloggers I’m following. So with this backing, I think it’s safe to say it’s not you, it’s the season. This season is proving to be a bit less remarkable than “lackluster” so far.

26. Sword Testing Cliff says:

Also Psgels, As muhc as I enjoy your blog, I think you are being entirely too whiny about people giving you crap because you liked a bad show. For one:

1)no one is perfect, even good reviewers get stuff wrong in regards to defining what’s good and bad (tase has nothing to do with it, that’s a copout plain and simple)

2) You like a bad show. . .and?

3)people said not nice things to you on the internet:

I’m sorry but dude, you gotta get a bit more thicker skin than that, this is the internet, people say shit about everyone all the time, come on. . .Really please stop whining and crying abotu something so trivial! If you make a mistake and people shout at you. . .so what?

I think you need to start eating some meat and hitting the gym (weight lifting) It sounds like you’ve gotta a little too much estrogen in ya.

27. sarma says:

I love your blog. *_*

28. Perry Tanko says:

The only thing more amazing than kissing a girl… is watching two girls kiss.

29. The Hergula says:

Looking forward to Wizard Barristers actually, and I liked ur two cents.

Ground*. I hate it when I fat finger something.
Thats always the worst, when a story starts off promising and then someone runs it into the grouhnd
@Mario, so it's still at it. To me it's like someone was given an interesting story and made it his mission to ruin it as much as possible.
@Aidan: it's still the same crap. I have a feeling that Sagrada Reset gives a middle finger to us viewers. The plot with development and characters that we have no way to figure out ourselves. The characters who change motive and even personality after each timeline. The main lead girl who act like a robot. I gave this show too many chance so I won't bother to spend more time watching it.
Eromanga sensei
@Mario, Oh ho, what was the dealbreaker? Just that it didn't change or did something really stupid happen?
Sagrada Reset (long sigh) (scratching my head) (eyes rolling). Dropped
Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up

Sakura Quest – 04 [The Lone Alchemist]

Hmm, I don’t really like the direction Sakura Quest is going for. To be more precise, this episode brings up some questionable variables that I don’t think blended well with the show. The actual story for this week though, is still enjoyable and grounded enough to overcome those concerns. At least for now. This week the […]

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100