Posted by psgels on 19 January 2014 with categories: Some Quick First Impressions

I’m tired, and I’m soooo far behind. More details on why below, but I do want to finish my impression of this season, but with so many series looking like each other I’m going to do a quick version of the shows that I missed. I’ll try to catch up on the second episodes the upcoming week. I’m really sorry for all the delays.

No-Rin: This one really was terrible. Beyond moronic characters, incredibly annoying acting, and an incredibly pandering premise.

Sakura Trick: I like yuri because for some reason, creators know how to make some really fascinating series when they have lesbians in them (or even better, bisexuality), not just for the sake that there are lesbians in them. Sakura Trick is a show about girls making out. I’m not kidding: so much of this episode was about the awkward moment of the first kiss. Stupid premise, boring characters. Moving on.

Sekai Seifuku: This one had me intrigued for a while. Who are these people? How are they related? Why do they want to destroy the world? However, then the giant monsters showed up and everything turned generic and characters started wearing the most ridiculous outfits. Uh, the women, I mean. Also, as for why they’re conquering the world? It’s all instigated by a little girl. I see no potential in them developing this into anything worthwhile

Wizard Barristers: This was actually not half bad, for a first episode. Especially the animation here surprised me, coming from Arms. This just shows how much good production can trump a production studio’s reputation when it’s really trying, because this probably contained some of the best animation of the season. My big worry is consistency, because the creators here totally aren’t known for that. I know I have this cynical view now, but there have been too many series in 2013 that betrayed my trust for a good plot and characters. I really hope that 2014 will get rid of this cynicism…

Nisekoi: Oh boy, a shaft-series that actually doesn’t feel like an animated slide-show and the characters actually talk about stuff that’s relevant for once. It’s just too bad that this is the most generic premise for any series they’ve done so far (boring high school romance love triangle). Heck, everything that happened in this episode was standard romance fluff that we’ve seen done hundreds of time before. They did recycle the Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei despair-look, but hey. At least it’s a move in the right direction…

Inari Konkon: Oh thank god, finally! A school series that puts emphasis on thinking and learning. It comes up with situations that actually challenge the characters instead of being so mind-numbingly bland. With the current season I was really fearing that my taste had completely changed with how so many different series bored me to death. Now, this is obviously similar to Gingitsune, which I in the end found to be a bit too corny to work. This series doesn’t have the instantly likable characters, however it puts the characters in interesting situations. It’s about bloody time a show does that. You’re supposed to take characters and think: “what situations would get the best out of these characters?” – not “how can we make this character instantly likable outside of any context whatsoever”. That’s not sustainable in the long run!

Oneechan ga Kita: Yeah, the very first scene we see is about the main character walking in on his sister changing. Aside from that, this this was disturbing and weird when they turned the sister into this obsessive stalker.

Silver Spoon: A big reason for the past delays… was the first episode of this season. I have no idea what happened, but I set myself to watch it, and I just could not force myself to sit down and watch it. Why? This has some obviously good characters and it’s a look at farming… and yet something inside me just did not want to watch it. So thank god I finally managed to sit through it. And yeah, it was okay. The romance was a bit annoying (misunderstandings are rather boring…), but you know? It offered a look at school life in a far more detailed way than the other school shows, and the characters remain very versatile and down to earth. And yet, something inside me keeps yelling that I do not want to watch this…

Silver Spoon is objectively good, but I think that I’ve been to objective this season, and need to go back to my roots: creative and engaging series that most people gloss over. When criticizing, some parts indeed boil down to “does it make sense, does it know the writing rules, et cetera”, but the most important part that’s about whether you really like it or not is entirely subjective and incredibly difficult to really describe well. It’s this X-Factor that some shows have and others just don’t. I mean, say what you want about Nobunaga the Fool, for me it was one of the most entertaining first episodes of the new season due to how amazingly pretentious it tried to be. People made fun of me when I gave it such praises, and I realize that even though I’ve been blogging for a long time, I still notice that I still take all my comments very personally to the point where I’m trying to please everyone, instead of doing what I really want to do.

The thing with taste is that there are very different ways people look at anime, and connect with it. And I’m not talking about that “Type A and Type B otaku” that you see at places, that’s way too simplistic, not to mention that I never really considered myself an otaku (though granted it’s a term that many people have different definitions of). In the end what I really noticed is that I love series that are ambitious and combine storytelling, characters, animation, music, setting and symbolism into one whole that is larger than the sum of its parts.

Sorry what you had to witness these inner ramblings of mine.

1. Kiraly says:

Nobunaga the Fool had a really good first episode. Before this season started I got really, really bored with anime. A sort of ennui that made me seek out western entertainment, although I still followed anime blogs out of inertia.

Nobunaga the Fool was really the only thing I was interested in, although only because I really liked how the title sounded.

So I checked out.

It reminded me why I am an anime fan and why western entertainment will never satisfy me. It wasn’t perfect, but it was incredibly *anime*.

Since then I caught up with Kingdom and Magi (which are both beyond fantastic right now, it’s really a pity you dropped them) and watched an older series from 1999. That older series wasn’t that good (7/10), but it had a certain charm that anime lost in its effort to become more commercial.

I decided I’ll only watch the series I really, really like from now. Watching everything is a waste of time. Sure, a series might be mediocre-good enough to keep me watching it, but I’ll forget it anyway in 6 months so what was the point?

Then again, most series that left an impression on me were things I didn’t expect to (like Kotoura).

2. unknown says:

If there isnt anything you like this season, watch Yamato 2199 which is an excellent space opera.

Also more people should watch Gundam Build Fighters, because watching their favorite Gundam beating the shit out of each other is glorious despite being aimed for a younger audience.

• boku says:

Have to agree with that. There isn’t much I like this season, so I started watching Yamato 2199, and even though I haven’t watched a space series since Nadesico aired, so far I’m finding it surprisingly solid. Makes me wonder why more series aren’t this solid.

• JaK says:

probably because it was released bluray releases and the studio had months of time to sharpen and polish each episode after the movie segments so the animation was very very solid though it really was enjoyable

3. Flawfinder says:

Sekai Seifuku is all about why you’d want to become a minion of an evil organization, as well as a satire on how otaku-pandering is taking over the world. How is that not ambitious? :D

• Deadlight says:

Yeah, I agree. Sekai Seifuku was awesome :P

• cladinblue says:

Yeah, if you look past the cliches and their costumes (if you don;t find them entertaining), there’s really something here. Pay more attention the script/dialogue and you’ll see interesting things.

• Shadell says:

Sekai Seifuku is the antithesis to Samurai Flamenco. They’re both lighthearted takes on the superhero/sentai genre. Instead of the heroes, Sekai Seifuku seems to be about the people following the surprisingly average behind the scenes of a cliche sentai villain group.

To that end the silly outfits are another party of the parody, though there’s probably an element there aimed at catching the creepyish loli obsessed demographic of the otakudom.

4. AidanAK47 says:

“And I need to really convince myself: only you know your own taste best, every taste is unique and worthwhile, and judging others for their taste in anime is most often… quite immature.”

And this is where I beg to differ.(I am sure you seen that coming) There is such a thing as people with worthless taste in anime. Otherwise harems, sword art online, etc wouldn’t sell nearly as well. Judging a person by there taste isn’t immature so long as you have good reasons. Cursing the hell out of someone for their taste is immature.(But sadly fun)

But Psgels, and take note that this is a pretty big deal coming from me of all people, I do not think you have bad taste. For the most part I trust that you know whats good to watch and what is just a waste of time. Really saves me from having to check out each seasons lineup for myself. Sure you tend to get a bit too excited about shows with unusual animation and you have your odd guilty pleasures that no one can really get. Nobodies perfect. I for one certainly cannot explain my absolute love for gurren lagann and type moon to anyone which leaves me in a bit of trouble when it comes to defending them. And at times you can bring up points which I myself missed.
    As for the internet, we tend to take any opportunity to rip a opinion in two. As hard as it is it’s best not to take it too personally. My way of things is to say whatever the hell I want and not give a damn what people think. And it’s worked well so far.

• guest says:

I dont even know where to begin…

“There is such a thing as people with worthless taste in anime” – Yes, you are obviously. That is of course – bullcrap. How they say – You cant argue about taste. What are you even doing that for? Its a waste of time. I mean, I can even say you’re completely weird for liking anime. And – according to you, now I have the right to call you worthless.
      Of course, since Im not saying what you are, Id never say that and Id never think that either. To tell the truth – yes, you are quite immature.

Take this sentence as further evidence:
      ” My way of things is to say whatever the hell I want and not give a damn what people think. And it’s worked well so far.”

So why even say anything if you dont give a damn about the reactions? Thats failed communication! You fail at communicating. And also you like insulting without caring what the insulted one thinks? Well, you know how people that behave like that are called.

Dont bother replying. But I dont think youd want to – you dont care about other peoples reaction anyways, do you? Also I wont read your response – I wont come here again, and also for once – I really dont care about someones opinion.

• AidanAK47 says:

Of course you can argue about taste. That’s all people on the internet do. And yeah, you can say I am weird for liking anime but that’s not relevant, because that’s not arguing taste that’s simply dismissing something. I can just say it’s just not your thing. But my silly little friend, media has levels of quality. There are bad anime and good anime. That is not even debatable. If someone told you that his favorite animes were dime a dozen harems and guilty crown would you honestly tell me this person does not have bad taste? You would probably say something like “Everyone has different taste” but that’s just dodging the issue. Because every anime, no matter how bad, is to someones taste. But that’s doesn’t mean there are no bad anime.
        Silly fellow, faking maturity is true immaturity.

“And also you like insulting without caring what the insulted one thinks? Well, you know how people that behave like that are called.”

Hypocrisy is a funny thing. So let us take your words and put them back to you. You are insulting me, don’t deny it. You may not use the word f*ck or an equivalent but hell what you are saying is equally as demeaning. Yet you yourself have stated that you don’t care what I think about this, state you will not bother to read my reply and I should not bother replying. That is exactly the same as me. But at least I am more honest about it. Well isn’t that funny?

Have fun old chap. You won’t read this but like I said. I don’t care. I just love pointing out peoples mistakes. Thanks for the entertainment. Now to get back to torchlight 2….

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Totally agree with everything you said Aidan, Its funny, I’ve gotten used to the internet and before someone even STARTS saying something plain wrong, or more appropriately, moved by emotion to state somethign rather than pure facts and observation, I can quickly scroll past the guy. Like the poster above, I saw like the first five words, and alreayd KNEW that he was:

1)Upset at your comments

2)insult you in some sort of way (which he did)

3)have nothing really worthwhile to say. . .that hasn’t been said by the same types of people who have quick emotional reactions to discussiosn on the internet. It;s really just the same thing being said over and over.

Anyway, glad you took the time out to call that guy out on his B.S. I’ve gotten so good at sussing people like that pretty quickly that I just don’t even recognize their existence haha.

5. Spike says:

I think the main problem you are running into is that you are looking for ‘art’ (shin seki yori, Evangelion, etc) while most of the Japanese public/otaku are looking for ‘entertainment’ (Code Geass, Kill la Kill, One Piece, Negima) When you come into an ‘entertainment’ piece looking for ‘art’ – of course you will be dissapointed, crossover is really really rare (cowboy bebop imo is my best example) That’s why I always check out 2 or 3 preview guides for the upcoming season so I know what to expect and set my bar accordingly. That’s why many people so are pissed at Samurai Flamenco, we thought we were getting ‘art’ and got ???? .

When I see a harem show, I don’t bash it because its a harem show, I either watch it because I want to watch a Harem show, or I skip it. It’s when I’m expecting a serious show and end up with a harem show I get pissed.

Perhaps it might be best if you research and simply skip shows you KNOW you will hate instead of forcing yourself for the sake of the blog, it might actually help with your anime ‘burnout’. It’s really not that helpful/interesting to read you bash the latest installment of “sister falls in love with brother” or “Highschool kid builds harem” anyway.

• kero says:

I think Spike makes a good point here. Maybe don’t force yourself to view/comment on Harem/incest shows that you know you’ll dislike, and only comment if you see one that you think is good?

6. kero says:

Thanks for posting. I’m going to check out Inari Konkon on the basis of your short review.

I’m sorry that you’re getting upset due to dickish behaviour from people who come onto this blog for no reason than to act like dicks (IMO)

I really liked Nobunaga’s first episode.. so you’re not alone, and I went back to add in the comments for that review. There were good things about it: the artwork and the way they framed some of the scenes.

_

I am surprised that you couldn’t get into Gin No Saji, because it’s one of my favourites, are you going to drop it?

• JaK says:

i been following inari manga for a while, if the anime is anything like the manga it will take like 3-4 episodes to take off but when it does it really is charming especially uka x the older bro ( much more intrusting then the main pair)

7. alicelights says:

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve not been enjoying Silver Spoon. I had been looking forward to your review of it. I like reading intelligent and insightful reviews after watching shows.

I’m still really loving it (even though I already read the manga). I find myself really wanting to watch it too.

I think I agree with Spike though about you maybe looking for ‘art’ amongst ‘entertainment’. I watch anime rarely now since I’m too picky. Do you watch live action or other dramas? The only television I am watching these days is the second series of ‘The Bridge’ (Swedish/Danish show) which I am totally in love with. Have you seen that? I think might like it based on your past reviews.

8. Pouf says:

Please try to catch up with Hunter x Hunter. The first two episodes of 2014 were truly excellent.

9. Sobakus says:

I don’t know why, but for some reason it wasn’t exciting for me to watch Silver Spoon 2S too. It’s still good, but… Nothing special about it. I haven’t felt a single thing watching it – no thoughts, no emotions. It seems I can’t relate myself to anything that’s happening on the screen.

Meanwhile was watching Steins; Gate The Movie and Makoto Shinkai’s The Garden of Words. Both awesome. Makes you believe anime is still alive and breathing.

10. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I personally think this is a good direction for you to go into. If you try to be objective with anime, then reason your way through it, that’s akin to trying to have objective “taste,” which isn’t going to happen.

11. Bur says:

In the end this is your blog. You’re under no obligation to please us. I think most of us are here because we respect your opinions in the first place, even when we don’t always agree with them.

12. Elkon says:

psgels started to grow out of cartoons, sway from path and becoming a adult. it’s time to make family, grow a tree and build a house.

13. Lamarck says:

You seem to be getting really burned out on anime. I’d advise taking a holiday from it for a while. Watching anime should not be a chore it should not feel like a job and when you treat it as such you pull the industry down.

14. Rednights says:

Nagi no Asukara which I see you left at ep 7 probably the strongest in story, or at least emotional pull, I’ve seen far, it’s going super strong at the moment. None of the new shows are holding my attention either, besides buddy complex i suppose, that’s a semi traditional mecha ..

• Mormegil says:

Yeah. Nagi no Asukara has been great. Thankfully, we have a few good shows that are carrying over from the Fall season.

15. K says:

Psgels, I agree with the other posters who wrote that you seem to be looking to anime for art more than entertainment. I always read your reviews to decide which shows I want to watch each season and I’ve been following your blog for years. I think you definitely have good taste in anime and while our tastes may not align 100%, I trust your judgement. With that being said, perhaps, as Lamarack mentioned, you should consider taking a break from anime. I would rather you take a posting hiatus than cease posting altogether. And please don’t force yourself to review series you already know you will dislike. Focus on the series that show promise and that you have passion for. I wish you the best and look forward to reading your reviews in the future. :)

16. cladinblue says:

I think this is evident from this post, but a lot of us who do respect you and your taste rarely comment. Many of us only comment at times like this or on titles we have somewhat strong feelings for. These “immature” people are always vocal but they’re actually very few compared to us who respect and trust your judgements even if we don’t agree with them.
    btw, I also didn’t like Nobunaga the Fool

• hoiut says:

I second this. Although I won’t say anything about my maturity level. :P

“Any writing that you produce is worth reading.” When you realize some people think like that (I’m pretty much among them), writing becomes more enjoyable and you don’t hold yourself accountable for pleasing such-and-such. That said, it’s easier to stalk the blog than comment in it, so that’s what I do mainly.

17. lol says:

Im certain many people who enjoy reading your blog just dont comment like me. Ive come to this blog for over 2 years and havent said a word.

18. tetsuo says:

Same here i read this Blog for a few years now and its my nr1 spot for information on new series to consider, altough our tastes are not entirely the same and im looking more for entertainment in animes then art there where a lot of series i would never had considered watching if you hadnt blogged them.

19. Juno says:

“…and the characters actually talk about stuff that’s relevant for once.”

lol Don’t blame SHAFT for NisiOisin writing. NisiOisin is one of my favorite writers, so I’m very confident the “irrelevant topic” tradition is his–not SHAFT’s… though I’m also confident the “irrelevant topic” accusation is a bit exaggerated, even there. Much of the time, especially as a series moves on, the topics start focusing heavily on the psyche of the characters and everything that is relevant to them as a person, and that’s what I really love about his work. As for SHAFT, as Madoka (among several other series) has shown, they’re very capable of avoiding irrelevant talk when it’s not a subject of the series.

Regardless, do what you want to do, psgels. Even the people who do get frustrated at your views still respect you and they won’t leave or do anything bad just because they disagree. The more honest you feel about what you’re saying, the more we tend to trust and enjoy reading your words. Your taste isn’t like everyone else’s, but it’s still trustworthy. Keep it up!

20. HunterWulf says:

Wizard Barristers actually isn’t fantastic looking becasue of ARMS alone, it IS Umetsu Yasuomi, this series has his fingerprints and style all over it .. after all he is doing the Original Plan, Direction, Series Composition and Character Design for this series (pretty much everything XD).

I mean after all Kite and Mezzo Forte (minus the sex-scenes) has some of the most impressively animated/choreographed set-pieces, they were some of the most funny and over-the-top action scenes i ever saw (despite being gory), so it’s good to see his skills being used for a normal series where he is in full control (well he did work on Galilei Donna, but it’s wasn’t really “his” series), and i’m also interested in Wizard Barristers becasue mixing “magic” and “civil law” is quite an interesting idea and with such impressive animation it’s sure going to be a delightful watch even if the story and characters might not be perfect.

So i’m kinda surprised you didn’t mention Umetsu Yasuomi’s name at all in the part about Wizard Barristers and just talked about the studio ?

21. Hokkaido says:

The only anime with potential this season is Mahou Senseou, IMO

• KaZuHiRo says:

Are you serious?? The first episode was horribly interpreted. I did watch the second episode and felt the same way. I do agree that it’s entertaining.

22. cake says:

psgels — you should watch what you enjoy!
    would be boring if we all had the same taste…

what i’m liking this season:
    Hoozuki no Retetsu
    Inari, KonKon Koi Iroha
    Gin no Saji Season 2

am checking out some others but feel undecided about them.

still enjoying HXH, Log Horizon & Yowamushi Pedal ! :)

23. Amy says:

That last sentence made the post for me haha.

24. Piotr says:

I’ve been following your blog for two years, and I read a bunch of your archives. I am afraid you are burning out – either on anime or on blogging… it’s a shame, as I really like what you were doing – but that’s the only way to explain your recent rants :(

25. hoiut says:

I also want to point out that your general impressions of the season (including the whole feeling of tiredness or “burning out”) is actually shared by a few other bloggers I’m following. So with this backing, I think it’s safe to say it’s not you, it’s the season. This season is proving to be a bit less remarkable than “lackluster” so far.

26. Sword Testing Cliff says:

Also Psgels, As muhc as I enjoy your blog, I think you are being entirely too whiny about people giving you crap because you liked a bad show. For one:

1)no one is perfect, even good reviewers get stuff wrong in regards to defining what’s good and bad (tase has nothing to do with it, that’s a copout plain and simple)

2) You like a bad show. . .and?

3)people said not nice things to you on the internet:

I’m sorry but dude, you gotta get a bit more thicker skin than that, this is the internet, people say shit about everyone all the time, come on. . .Really please stop whining and crying abotu something so trivial! If you make a mistake and people shout at you. . .so what?

I think you need to start eating some meat and hitting the gym (weight lifting) It sounds like you’ve gotta a little too much estrogen in ya.

27. sarma says:

I love your blog. *_*

28. Perry Tanko says:

The only thing more amazing than kissing a girl… is watching two girls kiss.

29. The Hergula says:

Looking forward to Wizard Barristers actually, and I liked ur two cents.

All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)
By the way Mario, that Isekai show you were interested in is basically food porn.
Man that was a lot of procrastination. I haven't even written up that Little witch academia post yet...and then there's the preview.
I agree with most of your assessments though Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is something I can really get into. I admit Talentless Nana is a bit iffy at the moment but am willing to give it a big chance because I love the authors other works.

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

ID-0 – 10 [Compressed Sin]

Oh no, ID-0. Out of all the possibilities you could’ve picked for the climax, you chose the worst possible one. Ido’s past self, Dr. Kane Arisugawa turns out to be an evil scientist, using human as a sacrifice for his own research’s advancement. If this already sounds well-worn, it’s getting worse from there. The first […]

Re:Creators – 10 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

The laying of the foundation and development of all previous episodes culminates into an explosive episode that lives up to the hype of Re:Creators’ initial premise. Following Magane long-winded trolling of last week, the amount of action on display this episode more than made up for her antics. Every creation (with the except of Mamika) […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100