Posted by psgels on 27 February 2014 with categories: Random Posts

You can’t please everyone. And I don’t usually do this, but I do want to give a bit of an explanation for my last post, the preview, due to the surprisingly large amunt of people putting me down on how I jumped to conclusions for a lot of series, and how I should do more research. To that, I have to say the following:

On general, writing the preview for a large season like this one takes about half a day. Not half a workday, I seriously spent more than half an actual day to write some of my previews. This one was not as large as normal, but I’d still say it took me about 8 hours in total to write. to the pepole claiming that I should do more research: could you please hand me some extra time in order to do the research for EVERY single series that’s coming out? Because it took enough time on its own to write everything there already.

And consider this: I could have left these series out completely, but that’s dismissing them even more. In this preview, I at least tried to write a sentence on why shows don’t interest me (on a personal level), because I at least repsect the series enough to want to do that. And I find it important to be able to see the big picture for a season, so you can try to see a bit of the trends that are going on. There are two types of shows that I don’t include: kiddie shows and sequels of series that I haven’t watched. The only reason for that is that I’ve really run out of things to say about them, and leaving a comment about every single one of them would really just end up with me, copying and pasting the same thing again and again and again.

Of course, doing research is fun, and I really want to be able to continue to do research for the series that really interest me. But here’s the thing: when a show has a tagline that the main character’s sister has the hots for him, I’m instantly turned off and not motivated to do that at all. I know it’s shallow and all, but at this point I cannot give every single show a chance. Because of that, I resort to my own experience and hunches to try and guess which series will be worth my time. (Because yes, this is my blog and I write purely my own opinions and impressions). A big green flag is when the premise of a series excites me. A big red flag is having incest in the premise. Want to know why? Because the last series where I’ve seen incest featured so prominently that was actually good was Koi Kaze. That was a long time ago, especially considering how many incest shows there are!

Let me explain my taste here, and what I’m looking for: I’m looking for the big picture. I’m looking for a series that has a good story, an intriguing setting, solid and fun characters, interesting visuals, great music. A series in which all of this comes together. I’m looking for the signs that predict such a series, and a lack of upright creativity doesn’t spell out much good in that department. If you can’t even think of a solid premise, then what am I to expect of the rest of the series then? Perhaps one good episode or something, but that’s nowhere near enough for that I’m looking for.

You may have a great political plot in your second half, and you may have this really detailed look at tennis, but if the rest doesn’t come together, then there’s just something missing. Of course they are only previews, but that’s why I also always try to watch as many first episodes as possible. I mean if your story is good, but when it’s told in a dry or boring way, then it’s still not really exciting. I love shows that have tons and tons of talking and complex plots, like Mouryou no Hako, the Tatami Galaxy, or Ergo Proxy, but all these series also remembered to have an outstanding presentation, with characters and plots that stood out right from the start.

You have series that take their time in the first half to build up, only to get fired off in their second half. However, you have series that are completely boring in their first half, only to suddenly get watchable in their second halves, and you have series that in their first halves take their time to set everything up and build up some stuff here and there about their stories, characters and setting, and bring everything together in their second halves. The latter is the only one I’m interested in. The build-up paying off.

The difficult part is ofcoure trying to point out these kinds of shows. That’s the thing that makes things really difficult: what shows are really building up to something, and which ones aren’t. First of all it helps if it’s not an adaptation, because especially the lazy manga adaptations have a tendency to just not pay off and end randomly. I don’t like that, so unless I can see a good ending working out, an adaptation, especially a manga or light novel-adaptation gets minus points. These stories furthermore were written for a totally different medium, and they take a skilled writer and director to skillfully make them work as an anime. This is not something that’s given!

Second of all, there is this thing as a solid execution that excuses a lot about a slow pacing. I don’t care how incredibly slow you are, if you’re interesting then I will watch you. A great example of that is Aku no Hana: the pacing was incredibly slow, but due to how well the characters were animated and brought to life, it worked. A lot of Bee-Train series are also great examples: they really use their music as part of the storytelling, and while they have a lot of first halves that are goofing off, they’re actively building their setting and characters in a way that perhaps sounds really boring on paper, but gets the viewer really familiar with them in practice. Plus, say what you want about Bee-Train: their series all start with a lot of creativity. That’s what I like.

But this also goes for things as very good acting, believable characters. Something needs to grab me, and most of the times this isn’t the story, but rathe the way in which it’s told. I know that this sounds a bit against what I said previously, that I want series with creative premises, but that’s the thing as well: there is a deal of subjectivity in here. It’s not something you can explain so easily. On one hand, the story doesn’t matter the most, but on the other hand: there’s not so much you can do when you start off like every other show with a bunch of teenagers who fight with magic and are on a high school.

So yeah, if I insulted your favorite show, I absolutely don’t hate you or anything. It’s just that I don’t like the series, and I’ve been disappointed too many times by similar series to really get excited about it. If you insult me about having a bad taste, then that’s not magically going to change my taste for the better. The great thing about this world is that everyone has different tastes, and this blog really is purely written from the perspective of my own.

1. KaZuHiRo says:

Hooray for you psgels! You really don’t need to explain yourself. Maybe put this post an an “about psgels” tab on your blog and direct anyone who drowns you in hate post there. :)

2. Sibbis says:

Well you got my support, I’d probably put some more shows on the shit list in this in my opinion rather underwhelming season.

• Joe says:

Exactly. I don’t always agree with psgels on which shows have potential, but I always agree that only a handful have any potential. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to ignore shows that have shitty premises. There are plenty of people who watch any shit show that comes out, and if those people let us know that a show is actually good, psgels can always try it out later. There’s no need for him to waste his time on them otherwise.

3. synkronized says:

Psgels man. Don’t worry about the fanboys and weeabos that can’t handle criticism about their beloved 101st school girl panty flash series or the 67th Sengoku era samurai show.

I imagine some folks do have legitimate points, but you screen for and watch anime based on your preferences. It’s why I track both Starcrossed and Random Curiosity, so I can get differing opinions on a show before deciding whether to commit to watching it.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

“Don’t worry about the fanboys and weeabos that can’t handle criticism about their beloved 101st school girl panty flash series or the 67th Sengoku era samurai show.
      And honestly I found it pretty funny how you established a dump bin of all the shows you don’t want to watch and why.”

YES! Seriously Psgels, MAN THE FUCK UP! Lift some weights, Cut down some fucking trees if you have to! YOu need some more testosterone so that you realize you don’t have to take shit from anyone, ESPECAILLY the fanboys listed in the above post. ignore all the haters, Do not address them, do not write a long ass post explaining shit! Do not pass go, do not collect $200, you don’t have to explain Jack shit to these fools, if they don’t like what you have to write, and aren’t willing to discuss it, they can go jack off to some other pedo-otakubait praising blog and drool all over all the underage panty shots they can handle.

Anime is sick right now, I am actually ashamed that I still watch it, the way it is now, I’d NEVER let anyone know that I am interested, not to mention all the limp wrist, pasive agressive on website weaboos, and weirdos that seem to poison the fanbase and help proliferate crap shows.

I’d say you do the same thing you did in the last post for every single damn season untill shit starts to get better, Then DONT RESPOND IN COMMENTS, AT ALL, you don’t have to explain shit to anyone.

4. Beatslars says:

I would have to agree with you psgels. I have been reading your blog for years, and have received a ton of fantastic series from this. Mushishi, Mononoke, Shiki, Mahou Shoujo Tai, and those are just a few. I feel like creativity is one structure area that the anime industry could revamp quite a bit, and not continue to become so generic every season. [your example: “every other show with a bunch of teenagers who fight with magic and are on a high school”. It seems to me after watching anime for a long time that more studios should follow what Aku no Hana did and stretch onto a different level of anime. Cowboy Bebop did that back in 98′ in my personal opinion.

Just a thought here:

Here is an idea, take Noitamina for example have them run a detective series acting as two series in that timeslot for 1 cour. The first half of the timeslot is dedicated to one character in the plot, and the second half of the timeslot is from the perspective of another detective or antagonist, when the perspective character in either timeslot dies, or any situation that removes them from the story it switches perspectives and overall tone of the following episode[s] in their respective timeslot. Whether it be art direction, plot, music, op animation, etc.

5. DaisyZ says:

Ganbare yo! You obviously have taste – but too many people these days want 300 flavors to choose from, as long all of them are vanilla. Your reasons to like or dislike the advertised premises of next season’s lineup are absolutely spot-on: Are they based on interesting premises, is there a chance they’ll be well executed, and what does my gut tell me? I credit you for doing enough preliminary research (studio’s cred, who directs, etc.), which is why I love your blog. I also know you’ll give some of these not-so-promising shows the benefit of the one-episode doubt, just like many of us do. But life’s too short to watch every dumbass video game, LN adaptation, sequel to lame series, fanservice, whatever…

6. Mentar says:

Your blog, your rules, psgels. Simple as that. And I do appreciate that you’re trying to explain your reasoning behind it, but – excuse me – I find it a bit unconvincing. FWIW.

This is the line where we simply have to agree to disagree:

“And consider this: I could have left these series out completely, but that’s dismissing them even more.”

No. If you had simply went with “I’m not interested because”, then I’m with you. But you didn’t. You wrote along the lines of “This show sucks because”. In my eyes this is a significant difference, and when you go THERE, reputable anime bloggers have an obligation to know what they’re talking about. If you don’t, I’d rather write nothing. Nihil nisi bene.

“Let me explain my taste here, and what I’m looking for: I’m looking for the big picture. I’m looking for a series that has a good story, an intriguing setting, solid and fun characters, interesting visuals, great music.”

Reads great, but do you seriously think you can gauge that by ANN summaries? I don’t, sorry.

Anyway, like I wrote. Your blog, your rules. You’ll be just fine with one reader less. Good luck!

• Hogart says:

Frankly I think we’ll all be better off without you here demanding that people articulate themselves perfectly clearly and neutrally, or not at all. We’re talking about anime here, not important sociopolitical issues. There’s no shortage of blogs or forums to discuss blandly popular teenager’s anime. They don’t require or want defending if they can’t show even the remotest hints of leaving a positive first impression, and no amount of sugarcoating will make that bitter pill go down smoothly. Besides, if all psgels has to go on is an ANN blurb he’s generally more fair to anime in these previews. Just pretending he isn’t doesn’t make it true.

• AidanAK47 says:

Mentar leaves and not a f*ck was given that day.

• Gan_HOPE326 says:

Some people just can’t come to terms with the fact that the series they like might indeed be garbage. As for me, I’ve seen more cases of a series triggering good flags and then sucking than the opposite.
      Additionally, when something is somewhat good despite the premise, the buzz ends up getting to you anyway. I think that was the case for a lot of us with NouCome – terrible premise, but ended up being fun. But still, “terrible premise” is a failure at communication BY ITSELF. People won’t watch ALL first episodes. Which first episodes they’ll watch depends on ANN summaries, PVs, and similar stuff. Not everyone will “research” by reading the source material. If an anime fails at catching your attention with these simple elements, it’s already failing. Rule No.1 of advertisement: get them in as short a time as possible. Simple as that.

• Nyangoro says:

While that’s all true, one thing to remember is that no one creates promotional material with the goal of appealing to everyone. They create it with the goal of appealing to those more likely to watch that particular category of show.

I mean, there’s no reason that for a studio to advertise an incest-themed show to anime fans like psgels. Rest assured that they understand the rules of advertising/marketing.

• Gan_HOPE326 says:

Absolutely true. So to specify: if they fail to appeal to you despite you being its target audience. The alternative is that the anime in question is indeed a pile of incest-harem-generic crap and thus psgels was never meant to be in the target audience – which basically means the producers themselves are perfectly okay with him thinking this anime is shit.

(Personally, I think this is the case. But you never know. And sometimes even the producers don’t immediately realize what the target audience is or could be – just look at My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

7. Nyangoro says:

I never really took your “not interested in” section to mean that the shows were bad, merely that they didn’t grab you on sight. Which is totally reasonable. Certain things have more interesting premises than others. Does that mean that the shows with more generic premises will automatically be horrible? No, of course not. A series is not made on premise alone. However, when talking about which show interests you before they come out, premise is one of a select few things you have to go on. So go right ahead, man. There’s nothing wrong with saying that a series doesn’t grab you by its key visuals, summary, or teaser trailers alone. In fact, it would be weird if you found every single premise immediately enticing.

• mike says:

Well, the problem as i see it. It,s that he hasn,t bothered to put a potential rate in shows that he isn,t just interested and the pros/cons doesn,t seems very elaborate neither fair.

We should asoume that for him all that series are below 40% in potential? Because with all that people saying that it,s a bad sesson in overall,and I jus,t don,t buy it .A lot of that group with very few exceptions seems to be very decent premises, very few of then deserved to be discarted with only two lines.

Just because something doesn,t grab you it,s not like it,s imposible to talk about the staff and do a good analysis about the good and bad things that they have with a good reasoning then he could rate as he want, follow what he want and score as his tastes.

And if he think that is too work, well, it,s posible to take it more relaxed. We are only at february, the spring cour stars in april. I would have prefered to have seen posted it in one more month later, but done with the care that it used to have.

And to add things he is starting to exclude kids shows, and Movies, Ovas, since a lot of sesons.

• psgels psgels says:

If you can hand me the time to talk about every single series in the season, then sure, I will take a good look at it.

Regarding the kids’ shows, I used to write about every single show, including the ones aimed at little kids. Do you know how tiring it is to write the same thing over and over and over again in every single season? I mean there’s nothing to say about them and they all just look the same.

As for the movies and OVAs: I checked on Moon Phase’s list. Aside perhaps from the Anime Mirai and the Mouretsu Pirates movie, there’s nothing else that even remotely interests me. It’s my blog, so why should I still cover it, then?

• Ellixus says:

Man, no one is paying you to do this… you don’t need to justify yourself…

You’ve been watching anime long enough to tell good from bad from the first glance… people should acknowledge that experience and accept the fact that your tastes may be different…

8. Amarrez says:

I’m not sure why you’re hung up on the whole incest thing, that’s a pretty fine thing to see as a red flag for a show. And there are plenty of other reasons to pre-drop Mahouka as well, it’s very much on the level of SAO when it comes to creative storytelling. My comment was more in regards to other things.

Actually, to be honest, I’m mostly just offended that Mari Okada tripe gets an instant 80%.

• Scruffy says:

I guess psgels is hung up on the incest thing because it’s a trope that needs to DIE IN FIRE! EVERY FRICKEN season we get some stupid show that uses incest as a plot point. Just think for a bit, do you get that many TV shows in the USA that has incest or siblings crushing on each other??? No you don’t!! Japan is just wayyyy too obsessed with it.

The only time I’ve seen incest used properly was in Koi Kaze, otherwise it’s just been annoying and gross.

Anyway .. thanks for the hard work psgels. While I might not necessarily agree with some of your choices that’s fine as it’s just a first impression anyway. For me this season I had completely written off ‘Witchcraft Works’ as something lame but that has been surprisingly funny and entertaining as long as it’s not trying to take itself seriously.

• AidanAK47 says:

Argeed with the incest die in a fire thing. It’s hard enough to get people into anime as it is. We don’t need a whole bloody genre to put people off and give haters justified reason to attack anime.

• Johnyliltoe says:

In defense of the Japanese I’m pretty sure it’s not that they’re obsessed with incest so much as it’s an easy sell if your plot revolves around a boy and girl living together. It’s a nice fantasy for lonely people. Lazy writing leads this to being incest.

So most of the time a premise that includes incest is taking the lazy option when writing about a lazy premise. Of course most of those stories are going to be poorly written and boring.

My initial point being that Japanese people probably want to bone their siblings about as much as Americans do.

9. Suburbanbanshee says:

It is totally appropriate for an anime blogger to give an anime show the exact same chance they would give any other kind of TV show. And frankly, most sane people don’t spend much time contemplating that. They look at the premise and maybe at the stars, and decide in about thirty seconds. They might change their minds if they hear a recommendation later, but usually they never will.

10. Cytl says:

So much drama (and I’m not even pointing at anyone in particular).

11. jcb says:

A critic has to stay true to his convictions.

12. m says:

I suppose that it can be said that you do not always put a lot of detective work into investigating the source material of shows, but I think that it would be difficult to say that you are typically unfair about your willingness to give works a fair shot, even if your first impressions might be interpreted as suggesting otherwise. If anything you are much too kind to the medium in general. From this side of things you appear to invest more time than many works even deserve verifying your impressions, especially considering that this is a hobby and not something you are paid to suffer through.

It also strikes me as hilarious that dismissing yet another incest subplot qualifies one as an elitist flamer these days. Here in the realm of normal humans that would be considered a pretty mundane frustration. The abundance of that kind of schlock typically serves to discredit the medium amongst the absolute mainstream, rather than existing as a prejudice of the intelligentsia.

13. AJFEm says:

I read this blog because I feel you review anime for its own sake and not just for the attention that being a blogger nets you. As soon as I start feeling like you are attempting to conform your opinions to up your readership or to make begrudging readers like you more I will probably stop reading your blog.

I’m like you. I only watch a few shows at a time and I don’t give what I believe to be lost causes chances. The reason why I need this blog to be what it is is because you seem to have a penchant for finding the good in shows that I otherwise wouldn’t see. As soon as you start giving concessions to shows you really don’t believe in, your word will become less meaningful and I will be better off just going by my own instinct.

I also prefer the in depth reviews that you write of the few shows you do watch even if they do seem to be weeks apart these days.

14. skeine says:

This is your blog, which expresses your opinion. I follow your blog because I have read enough of your posts to have a read on what your style and preferences are, and have decided I want to know what your opinion is because I find it valuable.

The unfortunate truth is that there’s no such thing as universal consensus. Anyone who expresses a preference one way or another is going to piss off a certain part of the fandom. The question is whether you’re more interested in maintaining popularity or giving an honest critique and/or love letter to a subject you love. I hope you’ll stay true to your love.

15. dpulver says:

Thanks psgels!

Your season previews are some of the most interesting and thoughtful I read, and I always look forward to them.

16. andmeuths says:

Mahouka is screwed. But it wouldn’t be incest that screws it- not incest alone anyway. It’s screwed because it’s source is an exposition, internal narrative and world-building story. Even if they were to minimize and de-prioritize Haremish and Incestous elements, it’s going to be about as bad as Maou Maou Yuusha, because it would take a very good producer to really take that world-building centric and internal narrative-centric source material, and make a great story from there.

But odds are, it wouldn’t. The worldbuilding would be scrambled, confused, and full of plotholes. The plotholes would be filled with overly emphasized Incest, Rom-com and Harem cliches that the producers think would sell the BDs,way beyond the source materials. The most interesting parts of the source material would be thrown in at random, haphazardly and in a disjointed manner.

At worst, Mahouka is the second coming of Infinite Stratos. At best, Mahouka is the second coming of Maou Maou Yuusha. Either prospects are grim to consider for fans of the series.

Of course, I could be pleasantly surprised, but having seen so many LNs completely butchered during the process of translation into anime, especially when these LNs tend to focus on the internal, silent thoughts of their characters, I think cynicism about Mahouka is the best course of action here. Animes tend to be horrible at adapting material where the point of view of it’s characters are critical, and much of it is internal. Monogatari is an exception here, not the rule.

It just so happens, psgels, that you are one of the first bloggers to attack Mahouka. And among LN readers, Mahouka is well regarded by a large fanbase, for reasons that are not likely to be translated into the anime medium, at least, without a very good producer.

In that sense, you were perhaps slightly more unlucky for being the first to throw a stone at Mahouka – a week or two later, and the Mahouka fans would be fighting wars on a hundred different other fronts.

When an anime adaptation of Mahouka was announced, a very common reaction was: how are they going to even adapt Mahouka, because so many elements of Mahouka are very difficult to adapt to an anime? Based on the tendency of LN adaptations, I think the answer is that they will fail.

The anime is going to be insipid, uninspired, incoherent and fanservice centric, much in the same way Infinite Stratos 2 choose to emphasize fanservice over plot. It’s going to ignite a firestrom in the Anime blogosphere and forums (and unfortunately, you stepped into the very first embers of that firestorm) , will end with 10K+ BD sales, and would have a second season announced, and earn the hatred of a good chunk of it’s LN fanbase, in the same way Infinite Stratos 2 has been reviled by LN readers. In that respect, Mahouka is not exceptional. And that’s the depressing reality.

• Tassia says:

I would be quite happy if it turns out to be as good as Maoyū Maō Yūsha. Maoyū may have been a bit of a mess that was too rushed and had plotholes, too much fanservice, and a few elements that didn’t translate well from the LN, but it had so many good points too, such as the titular (no pun intended) female character’s complexity and the speech given by the big sister maid. Plus the socio-economic/poliitcal stuff makes for good intrigue.

17. AidanAK47 says:

Psgels, there’s no need to explain. The kind of people you are appealing to are unreasonable and remarkably idiotic. I have written posts as long as yours to talk with a friend over MAL so I know you are not exaggerating when you say it takes half a day of your non working hours.
    It’s your blog, do what you want. Say what you want. Your true fans will respect that.

18. Jalapeno Bagel says:

Detailed explanation, but it’s muddied by use of buzzwords. What you’ve described as aspects of your big picture doesn’t require creativity to pull off. Being a good execution of by-the-book is enough too. No need to clutter what you really want with needless (and frankly counterproductive) justifications. I think your last bit summarizes it nicely; something creative (outside the box) and portrayed in an engaging way.

19. Head Chala says:

Man, stop apologizing, it’s your blog, you write whatever the heck you want to. Haters gonna hate.

20. Progress says:

What I find ironic is that those people who bashed Psgels for being narrow-minded in his preview summaries, only gave a rat’s ass because just that one series that they like is on his “not looking forward to” list. The quick use of terms such as “elitist”, “smart-aleck” and “hater” is very telling.

I don’t feel that you have become too harsh in your critique of anime each season. You’ve always been more concerned with quality than quantity, and in recent years, the quantity of anime has definitely increased with only few quality series. I too am looking out for any promising series that is different from the loads of harem/incest we get each season.

21. ron says:

“Psgels man. Don’t worry about the fanboys and weeabos that can’t handle criticism…”

“Frankly I think we’ll all be better off without you here demanding that people articulate themselves perfectly clearly and neutrally, or not at all”

“Truly a terrible day for us all. Mentar decided to stop reading psgels blog. We shall always remember you for your five total posts and general stupidity.
    Mentar leaves and not a f*ck was given that day”

“Psgels, there’s no need to explain. The kind of people you are appealing to are unreasonable and remarkably idiotic”

*********

Maybe you didn’t realize, but there are people here who are doing the same. If someone is criticizing Psgels, some of you quickly jump, because the latter has good taste and the former is wrong. >synkronized stfu”. Dissing and calling people idiotic because they have different opinion is really rude and childish. So yeah, in the end you are not better.

And I don’t think these bunch of ragtags here really doing a favor for Psgels and the other respectful followers. Nope, you guys just make it worse.

• ron says:

* eh, Part of what a wrote disappeared O_o

Between synkronized and stfu:

mentioned~
      “Don’t worry about the fanboys and weeabos that can’t handle criticism” …
      Well, it seems some followers can’t handle it either and just lash out against everyone who dare to say something bad. This is actually funny, because they’re not even the target of the criticism. Just the usual “If you don’t like X

• Progress says:

Well I do agree that Psgels has good taste (courtesy of years giving crtical analysis of anime), and despite all the negative feedback he received he remains largely neutral with his responses. I think that is worth defending.

Evidently, his neutral stance is not enough for fans of the relevant series.

In every debate there will be those in each side who use derogatory terms in lieu of concrete arguments.

My point in the previous response was that if Psgels had given a better impression of those series, the fans wouldnt even have cared to lash out as though it was a personal attack. I believe Psgels has always been this level of critical with anime, and he’s not being ‘elitist’ or ‘smart-alecked’ when he is giving his thoughts on an anime preview.

• Hogart says:

No, being childish is telling somebody that you no longer value their opinions because you think they’re prejudging an ANIME too harshly. If you’re that hurt by psgels calling it like he sees it, then just stop reading aniblogs entirely. Especially if you can’t take some immature criticism of your own immaturity. If you’re going to morally grandstand about something this irrelevant then you might just deserve to be called an idiot (whether I’m one or not doesn’t really need to be pointed out, because as we all know it takes one to know one).

• AidanAK47 says:

Ron Ron Ron…how is it that you can call us out on something like that yet completely fail to see the very hypocrisy of doing so.
      Let me just make this Crystal clear. You are calling us out on calling other peoples idiots because they were calling the blogger an idiot. And in turn you call us idiots for doing so.
      So by your own logic you are also an idiot. Except you are playing moral high ground idiot. Which in my opinion is significantly worse.

• Mike says:

So you’re calling someone an idiot for calling you an idiot for calling another person an idiot for calling the blogger an idiot.

I get the feeling that somewhere in that pile of poo you guys have gone full circle.

TBH, as harsh as Mentar was, from where I stand your attitude really hasn’t been any better.

• AidanAK47 says:

Well Mike technically the guy is calling himself an idiot and doesn’t realise he’s doing so. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of his actions.

As for my attitude, mate I ain’t here to make friends. I know full well my attitude ain’t exactly what you would call friendly. I am a condescending egotistical bastard. I judge people for their opinions on anime tv shows and know full well just how pointless and childish that is. But of course what makes me different from your bargin bin internet bastard is that I recongise and won’t even deny these claims.
          Of course I am only like this to those I do not respect. And quite frankly I see no reason to give a complete stranger my respect. Everyone has a right to an opinion but what people often forget is that everyone also has a right to have an opinion on someones opinion. You want me to not act like an ass to someone, they have to earn my respect. That the way I roll.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

Applaud your circular reasoning, but the very fact that to not be an idiot, you simply stay silent or ignore the discusssion is cause to be suspicious.

22. Oroboros says:

Right on.

To follow up your remark that you insulted somebody’s favorite show:

How can a show be “anyone’s favorite” before they are even released, I’ll never know.

23. Shaah says:

Hey psgels! I began reading your blog because I tough we liked the same kind of show. I understood later that was not true, but my taste is still very close to yours. The way you did that last preview is fine, don’t worry about it!

24. Troy says:

The problem here is you used clear definitive statemsnts, of evaluation like “Boring show” or derogatory ones like [this is] “ridcously stupid” with a great number of shows which and the end of the day you did not watch yet. So of course people who are fans of various source materials manga/light novels reacted badly. It is really biside the point here wheter they are right or wrong about any show in particualar , they all have rather reasonable assumption that people who actually seen those shows in one medium or another have a better idea whether the show in question is crap or not then you do.
    Really a trailer or a summary simply is not enough to make some of the judgements you put in that last post and be fair about it.

• Nyangoro says:

Really? Cause pretty much every claim he made, I also make whenever I watch movie trailers.

• Johnyliltoe says:

I disagree. As psgels points out he’s basing his predictions on premise as well as staff. He’s been doing this long enough that, compared to a manga fan, he probably has a much better understanding of what to expect from certain directors, writers and production companies. The source material doesn’t matter if the people making it have a track record of terrible adaptations.

As for how he words things it’s because he’s an interesting person that’s worth reading. Most people don’t want to hear some PC crap like “I personally feel, based on my own tastes and bias, that this will probably not be a series I enjoy. You may disagree, and I could be wrong of course, so let’s all hold judgement for the actual release while we hold hands and sing songs while pretty birds fly over our heads.” It’s far more entertaining to read psgel’s quips. And really, it’s about entertainment, not being an impartial boring critic.

25. Hogart says:

People who reacted harshly to psgel’s harshness should have thought about it before opening their e-wordholes. Seriously… how many anime have been lame (or even horrible) adaptations? It’s just not reasonable to think that fans of the source material will “know any better”. It’s fine to say “come on, give it a shot, the source material’s better than the preview implies.” But going on some tirade because psgels was harsh about a preview is ridiculous. Just how bad does a first impression have to be before you’ll accept that he has a point? Fairness does not exist for first impressions – that’s the whole point. Doubly so when you’re demanding objectivity from them. There’s no point in reading his previews if you don’t think anyone infer enough about them to give their honest first impressions. You won’t win anyone over by pretending you know better and demanding fairness in a venue where neither of those things can truly be. Being righteous about something this trivial wastes everyone’s time.

26. Troy says:

Being righteous about something this trivial wastes everyone’s time.

Well at the least actually arguing about it at length certainly does now that I stop to think about it so never mind

27. Winter Season 2014 Preview says:

psgels I’m just glad you’re alive…

28. Janette says:

It’s okay if you don’t want to watch a show, or think it’s going to suck. You’re a person with you’re own opinions, and allowed to voice them.

There were shows that I’m looking forward too, that you’re not, and I’m not offended that you’re not excited about them. We have completely different tastes, but I still enjoy your blog.

29. Firechick says:

Everyone likes what they like, Psgels. Don’t feel bad about that! We all have our own likes and dislikes, so feel free to watch what you like without any worries! If someone bashes you for your taste, they’re not worth your time.

30. starry says:

I agree with you psgels. I’m surprised you didn’t just omit everything that was terrible in your season preview, because it’s bound to be forgotten and dismissed anyway by everyone after the first episode or two. You should only focus on the shows you like.

31. Ebod says:

Psgels, I’ve been a fan of your blog for years and years, long before you became popular.

Your blog, your rules. Haters can suck it.

32. Ellixus says:

So… all this trouble because some pre-teens couldn’t handle your opinion… man, what a waste, you should have spend that time in something useful,…

In any case, I agree with most of the rest, there’s no need to apologize… most people lurking around here do so because they respect your opinion, even if they disagree from time to time…

Calling something a crap based on a well educated guess is perfectly fine man…

33. Mike says:

I really love anime but i will admit that i think that a good 80% of it is complete garbage. I depend on psgels to sift through that garbage and find shows that are worth watching and that’s the only reason to read this blog. Every year i look forward to your year summary to find the top 20 anime that are worth watching during the year and to binge watch the ones i like.

Thank you for all the work you put into this blog, i hope to see it running for a long time from now.

34. kenjeran says:

If you are allowed to like an anime even before it aired, then why not vice-versa? Sure, you may have seen the source material and think it’s good, but there’s already too many cases an adaptation is worse than its source material.

35. Arwen says:

Psgels, I’ve been quietly reading your blog for years. It’s my first go-to place for anime reviews has introduced me to many anime I’ve come to love. I really appreciate that you don’t waste your time watching/reviewing things you don’t like; that means I don’t have to waste my time either. And I agree with you that the last couple of seasons have been disappointing, but I’m glad you’re keeping at it. Thank you for all your work!

36. Linda says:

I find it kind of funny that a few got so angry. I mean, I’ve followed your blog for years, and you’re seldom wrong when it comes to -actually- good shows. I know your disdain for crappy moe incest shows, and it’s part of what makes what you write worth reading.

37. Lynnie says:

There are many, many anime reviewers out there but YOU are my favorite. If you like a show there’s a 90% chance I will too. Same with the shows you dislike. I know other reviewers who just give pleasant reviews on every old thing and that doesn’t help me at all. And then there are reviewers who have clearly different tastes than me and I don’t read them, simple as that. Also, I like how you add your opinion and analysis in reviews. If I just wanted to know what happened in a series I could read Wikipedia! Thank you psgels!!!!

• DangerMouse says:

Completely agree, been following your reviews for ages and it’s been fantastic getting another great opinion on shows I’m checking out and what to check out that I’ve missed.

38. Drew says:

psgels: I’m just going to be reiterating what everyone else has already said, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR YOU TO JUSTIFY YOURSELF. People who can’t take your opinions shouldn’t be reading your blog; there’s no need to be a ‘people-pleaser’ (not insinuating that you are one, either, just a statement of fact) and let’s face it, this is your website, this is your space, and you should be allowed as much to write whatever you feel, diss whatever series you like, compliment others, and etcetera.

Personally, I’ve always trusted your taste on what is good and what is bad, but even then I still watch most of the first episodes of each season before forming my own opinions from there because everyone is different, and what you think sucks I may think is absolutely wonderful, and even though I trust you and your taste in anime, I still want to be the one who passes final judgement on what I watch. so, the people who are flaming you obviously either
    (a) are trolls and just want to be assholes for no apparent reason
    (b) are unopinionated weaklings who watch whatever you recommend and feel that they are missing out because of this (even though it’s because they’re backbone-less followers)
    (c) just need to get the fuck off a website that’s too good for them.

Yes, so to wrap up that very irrelevant chunk up above, you’re wonderful, keep doing whatever you do, and don’t let the h8ers get you down. ♥

39. Eric says:

I pretty much agreed with your opinions, but I can understand heavy backlash. the majority of the fanbase is pretty awful anyways, hence the high number of awful shows.

40. Houlgrave says:

Haters gonna hate. Same morons who can’t see the trainwrecks coming up are just like those same idiots who bitched and moaned with Rob Halford was replaced by Ripper Owens (who is a very talented singer in his own right) in Judas Priest for awhile back in the late 90’s – early 2000’s. You just can’t reason with people who are so entrenched in their fandom that they can’t see what’s wrong with it.

41. Anonymous says:

psgels: I agree with what you have said in this post. A lot of people out there forget that Anime bloggers – like critics – are human, and have a life outside of just blogging anime. While I still think it might have been better to choose slightly more diplomatic words for a preview of something, I could definitely understand dismissing a show because of its premise. God knows how many times I’ve done that – and to good shows, too, like Spice and Wolf.

That being said, though, it was uncomfortable reading the comments section because I honestly had the feeling that a lot of your defenders are every bit as rabid as the the ‘haters’ to the blog. It’s nothing against you, since I feel you responded to your detractors in a mature manner, and there are certainly a number of very mature supporters of the blog; however, so many of the responses were along the lines of ‘lol those haters have terrible tastes in anime’ and other posts like this that…well, it’s a bit unsettling, I guess.

42. fedek says:

Cheer Up is your blog, i think you are being too kind.

Look i like Shaft, but i know they re use the same tropes, i understand why you don`t like it.

You have your own tastes. Be proud of it, every series you rated over 90 is top notch.

I discovered gems like Noein thanks to you.

So don`t give up.

43. Avalon says:

I have no problem with you being a harsher critic, as long as you still try to give the 1st episodes a shot. If you hate the first episode then by all means drop it.

Granted, I can think of a couple shows you dropped (blogging at least) this way and regretted later (Kokoro Connect for example), but all in all in works 95% of the time (as long as you trust in your experience with anime).

I’ve always thought our tastes were quite similar, but I do know they will never completely overlap. I am much more forgiving than you so I enjoy a lot more series than you normally, but I typically have the same top 3 or so series every season as you.

44. kazid33 says:

Hahahaha, well I only want to see some of the best shows that this season has to offer, i has to disagree whit pgels like´s in times and in anothers times not, is normal. But i consider pgels to be very correct in his bloggins and this is why i choise to follow them. I dont understand why some people are soooo upset about the last post.

45. Frost says:

I remember being a regular visitor of this blog back when you had all the time in the world and would do episode by episode reviews of a ton of animes every season, and I would always come here to see what you and everyone else thought right after watching an episode because I knew your post would be up

The funny thing is you started to get busy around the same time I started to lose my interest in anime, so I naturally just stopped checking out the blog and forgot about it for a while

Its been so long now since Ive had a new anime I felt was worth watching past the first 3 episodes, I decided to come here and I saw the seasonal preview and this post, and I have to lol

Im glad to know Im not the only one who thinks anime is in the shithole right now… Its really really sad what has happened to it
    A few years ago, there used to be at least 4-5 shows per season worth watching, nowadays I struggle to find even one… Everything is the same damn teenagers piloting huge mechas, school couple with magic powers, retarded harem that makes my IQ drop by the second whose first episode consists of a girl randomly falling on top of a guy and exposing her panties

Its a disgrace… Where are the mature themed anime with smart dialogue and interesting characters/character development? You cant even count on Noitamina to deliver quality anime anymore since Guilty Crown turned the slot into more mainstream garbage

I dont understand how anyone can defend these shitty animes with a straight face… To those people, go educate yourself and watch some of the masterpieces we had in the last 2 decades, such as Monster (then again youll probably say its “boring” because it doesnt shove panties in your face every 5 seconds)

Oh well /rant

46. K` says:

You’re the man no matter what, and this blog is awesome. Have been following it for years, and it has lead me to watch alot of anime that I’ve ended up enjoying immensely.

47. Johnyliltoe says:

Now watch as Mahouka turns out to be the best anime of the season demonstrating the perfect way to handle incest-magic-school anime. It’s fans all come with a resounding “I told you so!” while completely missing the point of the matter.

48. MH says:

Yes! I totally agree!!
    Keep up the good work psgels!

49. ManuOtaku says:

While i agree with Psgels, and what others had said before me, regarding its his site, his rules and his ways of doing things. I do Also love to see Psgels covering shows that were discarded for him for all the right reasons on his mind, but that turned out to be good, i an special section under this blog, like something under the title second shot or something he likes more.

Also, if Psgels find it worth it, change the score of old titles been reviwed by him. If they deserve more or less score or changing the final recomendation of the show. Case in point, Welcome to the NHK, which Psgels gave an score an a recomendation that later he did find to be better looking in retrospect.

I think with this things he, and we the followers can give some good series a chance, even when in the first glimpse looked they could turn bad.

50. Oh, yeah, hey, I’d like to comment and say that I totally agree with you. You’re reasonable, psgels! You’re good and you’re right about everything. It really takes some balls to come out and say your opinions on anime, and for that, I have to be congratulating you now! Thanks for being such good at anime blogging for all of this time. Never once have you wavered in your commitment, even when people told you to “grow up” or get “a job”! We need more people like you in this world…

This is one of Saekano's biggest issue: while there are 5 main casts, the show seems to care to develop 3 of them. When that rival-guy begs Tomoya to continue the circle, and stresses that "Don't lose Eriri and Utaha". I just feel... dishearten. No recognition for Kato and Michiru then
Another 2 shows that I want to mention this week: My Hero Academia's last episode fight between Ecchan and Urarawa is my favorite match out of this Tournament arc. Saekano's last episode actually frustrated me. When it's obvious that this is the time for Kato's conflict, the show still spends too much time on Eriri and Utaha.
KTravlos: based on the content I thought it's you as well. I actually enjoyed Virgin Soul. It's an important episode actually, where all of out mains are locked up/ imprisioned. Yep, Re:Creators was great as well. But hell, Souta... his character's annoying. The creations, on the other hand, are developing quite nicely
KTravlos here. Hmm wordpress has cast me out :p
what a great RE:Creators episode. I do not know how Mamika will end up. But manly tears shall be shed. A great character.

Virgin Soul had a so-so to disappointing tonning down episode. Expected. Still they are smart to put Favoro there as a "sorry for that mates".
AoT, knowing what I know from the manga, made this episode all that more striking.
Woah, Alice n' Zokuro has some of the most amazing writing I've seen this decade!
@Mario: And because of the negative space in the picture and guy in the background, it might also emphasize distance.
@Kaiser: This was an obvious shot choice (come on, because they KISSED), but the one I liked the most was the top right one. The characters aren't in the center of focus, and a bit too close to the screen tell us how much Chinatsu wanted to get close to Kotarou, at the same time we feel a bit uncomfortable just like him (too close). Smart visual telling there
I should start giving attention to shots in anime as I do in art films. You've chosen a good one for tsuki ga kirei on the bottom right.
@Mario: Speaking of shots....some of the static photography is Tsai ming liangs Goodbye dragon in is stunning. I saw an Ozu film where the framing was absolutely masterful.
@Mario: The eyeball scene in the restaurant OMO, scenes like that had very good way of creeping up on the viewer.
... and the fireworks in the end. Emotionally satisfied for that bleak film
Thanks Kaiser. Still think Black Coal is a very stylish and well-done neo-noir. One shot in particular still stick with me is the one long, unbroken shot that combine the past with the present.
*reviewing
It was your review that got me interested in the film mario.
Ah, I know that feeling, having to get out all my thoughts immediately. I also stream of consciousness what I write whether it be a poem or review then go back to edit, shows the passion a person has for what they're review.
It was just 3 years ago. I think I MUST review everything as soon as I finish, otherwise I will forget. Getting old now. Dang it
It was a great review, Kaiser. I also feel comparing Black Coal to Memories of Murders don't do this film justice too (although to be hinest I don't see the comparison). Your review just reminds me that I did review that film on Letterboxd, thou for the life of me, when I read ny own review I had no clue that i did write it
@K-off: Constantine was really the only reason I would have considered seeing the film, as I enjoyed some of the comics he appeared in.
Yaaay! Favaro is back!
@Mario: Ah, now I remember, I stopped watching ghost hound at around episode 14 or 15 years ago.
Justice League Dark ended up being one of the weakest among the recent animated dc films. The opening was intriguing but it drops the ball as soon as it focuses on Zatanna and Constantine...The demonic manipulation of people isn't tied well enough to the villain, so that premise ends up feeling pointless, everything is inconsequential by the end. Why was this even made?
And for once, I feel that developing the characters isn't a appropriate choice for this type of show. The main cast need to develop, yes, but most of the supporting cast was presented as ambiguous and mysterious, thus making them change in the end feel just wrong
The main kidnapping was never addressed thoroughly, and it should be the main overarching arc, instead of this ending.
So... I've just binged through Ghost Hound. It starts as a compelling psychological mystery series, and ends up being... thriller of sort? The first half, building up stage was its best, and then unfortunately it run out of steam
Hey Favoro is like a good whiskey. You gotta drink it slow and enjoy it :)

I liked Predators.
Spike
8 episodes in we finally get to see who we were all waiting for in Bahamut! ...for 2 seconds.
I did watch the version with the alien coming out of the ox. I haven't watched Predators, AVP1 was ok, like the newer movies its just the human element that has consistently gotten worse and unmemorable. I think that element in particular made me enjoy watching Alien 3 now, than if I had watched it in order, considering how it begins.
Thankfully the franchise can never fall as low as the predator reboot or alien vs predator.
@Vonter: Be sure you're watching the extended version.
I liked 3/4s of this film, as the plans to kill the alien got more cumbersome the film got more tiring. And I think it was obligated to annihilate the cast considering they take the time to take out a whole bunch of them. I also think it's very noticeable the tiring production this had, and while people praise practical effects now, this movie sadly didn't integrate well the alien puppet.
I've just watched Alien 3, the only Alien movie I hadn't seen do to the diviseness towards it. I think I went with the best expectations considering now on hindsight newer movies have made it look more competent, having more weight. This movie has characters, integrates the religious motiffs better, the Alien more than a closet monster is a formidable force of nature.
.....It just dawn on me looking through my letterboxd account...I have never seen afro samurai...
@Kaiser: I'm on hold with SukaSuka as well after 5 episodes. Ejoyable so far but its LN's tendencies hurt the show
@Kaiser: yeah, like I said in one of my weekly post, Tsuki ga Kirei is simple, but isn't easily obtained. At this point, I'm truly invested in these kids that it makes me tense just to see how they keep up with their relationship, haha.
I have yet to catch up with sukasuka and don't care about bahamut all that much.
I feel its sweet and sensitive approach has a rhythm to it that I started going along with.
It’s obviously slow but I began not noticing the time go by as I watched more.
The art makes me think of Shimura Takako’s and makes me wonder what the series might have been like if she wrote it.
The dub is mediocre so after 3 episodes I switched to subs.
The relative quietness and how scaled back in comparison to other anime romances is welcome and it never becomes dramatically or comedically obnoxious which I think is in its favour.
I decided to catch up on tsuki ga kirei. We said this before, but that scene where he meets the publisher about his writing is a stand out one.
For the show overall so far itself, above all I see it as something simple, un-demanding to watch, its good a break from all those old/art films I have to concentrate on harder to follow.
Maybe Goth would count but its more o a mystery manga.
Not familiar with shibito or sugar life. May as well recommend everything by Kazuo Umezu and Junji ito. 6000 ended disappointingly, I fell behind in dead tube. Does sugar dark count?
I am a Hero is a personal favorite of mine
@Anon: Uzumaki, Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi, Happy Suger Life, 6000 and Dead Tube. I suppose.
What is some good horror manga
@Mario I also noticed that korean thrillers are way too obnoxious with shakycam.
@Mario, about LWA, that was how I felt. Its just not as magical, as special, as the original OVA was to me. I suppose thats to much to ask for a 25 ep series, but it turned me off
@Mario, TV Diana has some charm points but I think OVA Diana provided a better dynamic. I mean sure, She was essentially female Draco Malfoy but her attitude made reveals like her being a secret Chariot fan more impactful. Plus her tsundere act torwards Akko was rather adorable.
about LWA again, unlike Aidan I actually enjoy this version of Diana. I know she's one note, too perfect but she's charming. Too charming haha which serves well as a contrast to Akko
...just pop one random film from him. His films are not without its bad side thou, in particular I find the dialogues shapeless and dragging. But well it does add to the naturalness of his films
on LWA I would also recommended it. It is a fluffy show, with a sense of wonder. Some episodes are better, some are more flat, and the over-arching storyline leaves me bored. But it does have that sense of childlike wonder, which I had missed among all the "grim" shows.
@Kaiser: I have a bit of problems with Korean movies lately as now they're heavily thriller style-over-substance films, so films that have very simple style like Hong-Sang-Soo's joints are the welcome change of air. One thing about his films thou, If you watched one of his film, you've watched them all. They're so similar in tones and concepts that I reckon if you feel like watching his films...
So I say it's still worth finishing. It's good but I don't feel the sparks that made it so great from the OVAs anymore
@Lenlo: about LWA. Plus side: Those hijinks. I mean the show is fun and magical. Negative side: I wish the show's storytelling is a bit tighter, each episode feels so loose it doesn't add up much and more like different variations of Akko + one member of the cast's hijink. Doesn't help either that the other casts just disappeared until they have an episode for 2 for themselves
@Anon1113829: I "enjoyed" Beyond the Boundary, but that show was a mess. The episode 10 was stand out for me, and the ending was kinda... a wreck. Certainly interesting but quality-wise I wouldn't reccommend it
@SuperMario KyoAni fan? What did you think of Kyoukai no Kanata? I really wanted to like it, I thought it had some potential, but IMO nothing worked right.
@Lenlo, It's good. Fun to watch certainly. Though sadly it falls short of being great.
So question: Is Little Witch Academia worth finishing atm? I started it last season, but for some reason it just fell off my radar
@Mario: Thankfully, while not entirely satisfying, day he arrives is just the Korean film I've been looking for, refreshingly more low key, quieter and I enjoyed the new wavy combined with raw style, making it all feel very natural.
@Mario: Well then, thanks for the rec on Hong-sang-so, I looked at The day he arrives. Y'know the reason I sometimes dread going into films featuring romance is because I'm conditioned from seeing the bad ones.
....I may actually read this, the last time I read a manga steeped in politics was Sanctuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle:_The_Making_of_an_Asian-American_President
@Aidan: I actually have very limited experience with Ellis as a comic book writer, only read Transmetropolitan, I know he's writing the Castlevania adaptation.
@Aidan: I heard the same thing; can't help being a completist though so I'll eventually get to them
@Mario, From what I heard, it doesn't get better.
@Kaiser: that scene from the 1st episode of Phantom world lost me... but even then I'm willing to give the show another chance. That's how far I would go ^^ https://mobile.twitter.com/aaapodcast/status/687148875052892160/photo/2
@Kaiser, Looks like they are putting some real effort into it. May actually turn out pretty good after all.
@K-Off, Under the Red hood is a damn fine movie. Likely one of the best of the DC animated universe. Though try Superman vs the elite out. It's pretty good.
Even phantom world Mario...even phantom world ? =)
Just the teaser trailer, not much to go on, but heres a short preview of that netflix castlevania thing that got mentioned on here a while back, up the quality to 360p:
At this stage, I'm pretty much KyoAni fanboy now so with every new material, I'll hype it up to the sky ^^
@Mario: I did follow it up with The spy who loved me though to cheer myself up =P Given that Rodger Moore just died =)
@Kaiser: just looked through what Short Men Behind the Sun is about: "human experiments carried out by Japanese army during WW2?" Already sound grim and too real. Then "a graphic depiction of the human experiments" haha no wonder you felt unsettled Kaiser
VyseLegendaire
My favorite Exploitation Flick is An Inconvenient Truth 2.0
@Mario: Long story short men behind the sun is finally the exploitation flick that defeated me and actually made me unsettled.
@Mario: I remember you talking about how Salo really affected you as an exploitation film, generally exploitation films don't shock or disturb me, but I just watched the cantonese dubbed version of Men behind the sun.
And the worst thing about beyond the boundry and phantom world, it discolours my opinion of kyoani as a whole, making me negatively reflect on older work they did .
Yep, that's the new KyoAni one. Like Puran I don't have any expectations of it. The premise certainly seems like the closest they have come to breaking out of there usual format but I am sure they will find a way to shove in Moe antics. Though based on what is seen so far it looks like they are trying to emulate Key.
Puran
Is that a new KyoAni anime?.. I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Last Anime from them that I cared about was probably Hyouka
Bring you some news, Violet Evergarden will be aired as an anime TV. Though many sources saying it gonna air this year, it has a better possibility to air next year
Well, aesthetically, he's pretty much on par with Yang and Wong. It's just that his films are often emotionally distant, feel more like watching the paint dry hahaa
@Mario: I connect more emotionally with Yang and Wong.
@Mario: I went in expecting Edward Yang and Kar-wong-wai levels of quality, which may have been quite unfair standards to put him up against.
I myself find his films difficult to watch, but when the films end they usually hold up very very well. Both The Assassin and 3 Times in particular are my favorite of the year
@Kaiser: I completely understand your reaction because his films are demanding as hell. I remembered watching The Assassin in big screen, 3 people next to me fall asleep, one of them snoring and the other one fall asleep within the first 10 mins. That Hou Hsiao's movies for you
@Mario: Its such a shame because he makes gorgeous cinema and City of sadness is actually pretty informative account of the times....I just can't jive with him and I actually like "slow cinema" but watching his work is insanity inducingly boring for me.
@Mario: ....I'm really sorry, I don't mind long slow even spiritual, talky, non-narrative, old, complex,meditative , art films but I'm really really finding it hard to watch Hou Hsiao's work, I've tried time to live and the Assassin and I just bailed after 2 out of 3 hours on city of sadness.
I have to say Akko is developing nicely as a character in LWA. Also Magane in Re:Creators reminds me of Hannibal as palyed by Mads Mikkelsen. There is that same est for life married to sociopath that is a bit charming :) Mamika's character is also just cool. Beyond that AofT and Bahamut both delivered competent episodes, with Bahamut a good mix between comedy and tragedy.
@Aidan Assault on Arkham was fantastic. Between that and Under the Red Hood, a classic.
@Kaiser: I have a lot to say in this week's Eccentric Family. Review will come up later tonight when I get back home from work.
Seen Assault on Arkham or what it should be called, The animated Suicide Squad movie. Thinking of checking out Dark.
@Aidan: Have you seen assault on Arkham or the justice league dark film?
@Aidan: It isn't so much because its Talia x Batman, moreso that it feels odd shipping Batman with anyone.
While kind of amusing, initially I wasn't too into Uchouten this week, the hot spring part got me groaning, but then someway through dramatically it really picked up.
From reading comics a few years back, I still feel that they adapt better to animation.
@Vonter: And I say this as someone who was able to defend Alien 3 and Ressurection.
Covenent felt like an Infantilized version of Alien.
I wouldn't call either John Wick film or free fire amazing or anything but they had great fight scenes that were actually visually coherent , of course they weren't given a proper release.
I'm not watching/paying for anymore of these reboots/remakes/shakey cam pg rated action films anymore. I'll stick with my balls to the wall Hong-Kong/Chinese ones.
@Vonter: It also had really uneven pacing aswell.
@Vonter: ....The dialogue is so embarassing, they don't do enough with this backstory, they just keep teasing, none of the new characters have the same charisma , the editting in the action scenes shakes all overtheplace.
@Vonter: I gave Covenent a fair chance, I thought it would be an exception to the reboot thing. I'll admit theres the sets, the atmosphere, Fassbenders performance , the idea to expand on the franchises mythos is cool but....
It really really hurts as a film fan, trying to find older, genuinely quality foreign films , finding that no-one is seeding them and theres no proper/in print dvd release anymore. Then finding some awful shakey cam modern American superhero film with billions of seeds and a bluray release.
@K-Off, I don't know. Todd was more the imperfect son always aiming for batmans approval. Damian is more an assasin wondering why the hell he can't just kill his enemies. I hear that Comic Damian works better than Animated Damian. I do think that if given a personality he could work but as he is currently you are right that he's essentially a mishmash of past robins.
I watched Alien Covenant and I don't know if it improves by being more dumb and less pretentious or if it os the final nail in the Alien franchise coffin. Not since the StarWats prequels there has been a retcon that changes your view of the original movies.
I can recall enjoying a certain Jason Todd centered story called Batman:death in the family.
Well, even when Damian does completely cross the line and become a villain, he's not even that interesting, i.e Injustice. Yup, Jason Todd already covered everything, but better.
Problem is that he's an edge lord cocky piece of shit that just doesn't have enough likeable traits for this to be compelling. What really pushed him over the edge was mocking Nightwing over his parents deaths. That shit is not on.
@K-Off, I like the contrast that Batman refuses to cross the line and kill but Damian has crossed that line. As well as his potentail to become a villain. Tim and Dick didn't really have that though Jason sort of did. Damian's arc is more about teaching him the morality of a hero.
@Aidan I'm not sure I like Damian's concept to begin with. The Bat-son dilemma's inherently addressed by the Robins for all intents and purposes. Damian just goes through the same motion, only difference being he's biologically related.
Yup. Wonderwoman either doesn't need to have a love interest, or it needs to be with Steve Trevor, the two have a solid backstory that the movies unnecessarily removed.
@Kaiser, I don't mind the Taila X batman pairing. Makes more sense than Batman and Batgirl. But if there's one pairing pushed in the new movies that I just find wrong is the Superman X wonder woman. I just don't get that one.
@K-Off, I like the concept of Damian as a character. But it's executed so badly.
Teen titans needs one more season to wrap up all the loose ends. Such as what happens to Slade, and Blackfires revenge. The creators clearly wanted to explore those plot lines but got cut short.
Teen Titans hasn't aged very well, but one thing I still do like about it is how contained and local the setting and cast were for the first half of that show. When godly superpowers are involved, that appeals to me. Much of the same reason why I like Logan and Raimi's Spiderman so much.
Very rarely watched teen titans when I was younger, I was vaguely interested in slade, stopped watching around when Terra appeared. I actively avoided comics where Damien appeared, never liked that Talia x Batman pairing much, I can only imagine how much worse it is to listen to Damien than read him.
@Aidan, I like some aspects of those movies, but I'm not a big fan of the new continuity and art style in general...and yeah it doesn't help that Damian is irredeemably unlikable.
@K-Off, There is also the DC animated Teen Titans movies like Teen Titans vs Justice Leage and Teen titans the Judus contract. Though it's not the same as the the TV series and Damian is such a dick.
@Anon I don't think Teen Titans needs another season. The last season wasn't that good, but the movie ended the series on a high note and Young Justice pretty much rebooted everything, at least in terms of replacing people's want for a more mature DC cartoon about the Titans.
Yeah it's become more of a hassel (for myself and my friends) to set aside time to go to a theater.
I guess in the end it all comes down to how easily it reaches the viewers. Give us a hard time and we don't give a damn to check the new movie/show out
... otherwise have to wait for a year, even more before it reaches Australia. But many companies will raise in the wake of Netflix and that will be where problems arise
This trend isn't happening within the anime industry, but it's happening in the movie world as well. In the past 2 years, Netflix starts to exclusively distribute many films, meaning that they won't have theatrical release, but straight to Video on Demand which caused quite a stir in the industry. Personally, I actually don't have much problem with it as now I will get a chance to see a film that
Dive!! , a series that will air next season on noitaminA slot will stream exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Not that I'm eagerly looking forward to Dive, but that news again makes me frustrated. No one will watch it and then all the hypes it might have will die down eventually.
Considering I didn't even expect a season 5 it's more than I could've evr wanted. Now if only if only Teen Titans could get the same chance.
Oh yeah, it turned out well. Didnt mean to say it didnt.
@Lenlo, Considering that the ratio of great to alright episodes is 8 to 2 I say that it turned out pretty well.
I have to say, the Samurai Jack season started stronger than it ended imo
So this is how Samurai Jack ends. 16 years in the making. Honestly considering how much needed to get wrapped up I knew the ending would be a bit flawed. Really think Gen should have givin it one more episode to flesh out the ending and then it wouldn't feel so rushed. Overall despite it's flaws, it's a decent ending. Not prefect by any means but it will do the job.
Lol theres a surprise, seriously, Black Lagoons manga is updating again.
worst recap ever for me? Gangsta. That was a stupid recap episode. Really like a Public Announcement. Useless, stupid, and ruining atmosphere. Utter stupidity. There I got it our of me :p
@Masky: Unfortunately too far behind in the sequel manga to catch up, I did take a look at THAT in the latest chapter though.
Huh, for some reason thought Tokyo Ghoul was under shonen when its seinen. Welp now that makes more sense, I was thinking story about cannibalism would be kinda absurd for shonen.
Spike
They serve no purpose except to fill airtime when production gets fucked up. They have 2 bad choices - run a recap or run an unfinished episode. Recap is generally the less dogshit choice. I've seen a few anime that ran the episodes with unfinished animations and still frames.... the backlash was about 100x what a recap is.
I'm about to say that to you as well Kaiser, maybe watch the recap and then continue on. The only thing I kind of take from the recap episode is the editting: how they chop off the fat of 6 episodes to still give you important developments. But as a way to catch up/ to reintroduce the series, it's freaking useless
I don't think anyone should start from the recap episode. Unless there was a long hiatus, a recap in between episodes is unnecessary for new viewers and old
I mean, aside from whatever happens with Mugaro.
Next episode seems early, out of 24 episodes, for Nina to learn the Prince is Chris, yet that seems to be what the confrontation is leading towards, and then she freaks out and he learns shes the dragon. Becomes the conflict for the rest of the season?
Seems I was right, Azazel didnt predict that Nina might not be so easily riled up as she once was. To bad so sad Azazel, she has someone she loves now.
How useful are these recap episodes anyway/actually? Hypothetically lets say I was feeling lazy and decided to watch tsuki ga kirei starting from the recap episode.
[link src="https://www.anirena.com/?s=blame

So long as there are consequences for how hes acting, then I am ok with it. I just dont want him to turn into some MC hero when hes acting like this.
And in Re:Creators Sota is still being a goddamn pussy. Now that the exposition has gone down I am really starting to hate this kid.
It's the presentation that they differ. Ghost Hound focuses more on the atmosphere, so those details I mentioned before work for their benefits; whereas Sagrada Reset focus on plots (and confusing themes) so those stick out like sore thumb.
4 episodes into Ghost Hound so far. This show also reminds me a bit of Sagrada Reset this season- the way they both emotional distant, complex plots; keep viewers away at arm's length, and feature characters that have robotic facial expressions. Yet I enjoyed Ghost Hound so far and couldn't engage in Sagrada Reset at all.
@Spike: I was like... "tsuki ga kirei has a recap episode, so let's move on to Kado"... another recap. Tsuki ga kirei I'm not too worry as it confirmed that it'll have 12 episodes, but I'm not confident on Kado
@lenlo: in a sense you have to suffer it all alone. No worries thou as I intend to binge watch it when this season's over
Spike
Kado team crumbled under the pressure. Recap this week.
@SuperMario, im happy I dont have to compete with anyone to cover Berserk :P Got it all to myself to whine about, though its been ever so slowly improving.
Ranka is ranka in any verse.

Tsuki ga Kirei – 07 [Hold Back Nothing When Taking Love]

With this episode Tsuki ga Kirei marches on its impressive run. If there is one thing that I’m still impressed about Tsuki ga Kirei, it’s that despite its slow-pacing, the story never stands still. Each episode is a steady step-forward, clearly mark-out stage from its main couple’s relationship. I wasn’t at all expecting that much […]

Sakura Quest – 08 [The Fairy’s Recipe]

This was a solid episode from Sakura Quest. This week is the first of the two-parter (probably) about the Queen and her team making a special dish for Manoyama town that could attract tourists. Now I see the formula the show’s currently employing: the first three episodes focus on Yoshino and her coming to term with […]

Re:Creators – 07 [Everything I Can Do]

The conclusion to the last week’s fight turns out to only eslcate in size with Yuuya and the giant robot joining the fray before ending off on a rather anticlimactic note. You have Mamaika remaining true to her character and trying to put out fires everywhere while everyone else pairing off in a grudge match. […]

ID-0 – 07 [Overstepping]

This week found the three main characters: Ido, Maya and Alice all got “eaten” by that huge annoying rock. Thankfully, being a rock – they themselves call it a wandering planet, or Rajeev retrieved, it can only swallow them whole – not chew – but it effectively cuts down all the communication and oxygen from […]

Little Witch Academia – 20[Sense and Sensibility]

This episode has really nailed home for me just how defanging Diana has been a bad choice. In the OVA episodes Diana was bratty and stuck up but at least then she had character. In the TV series she’s more or less a mary sue through and through which is sadly a much more boring […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 33[The Hunters]

One thing that continues to surprise me when covering this series is that after watching a full 25 minute episode of it and sitting down to write, I think about what happened in the episode and find it remarkably little. Truly, what did happen this episode? Well Reiner and Bertholdt ran off with Eren and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 07 [The Friday Fellows Club, Again]

For a show that has a knack for little moments, this episode is one of the rare times that Eccentric Family goes for big dramatic emotional route, and manages to knock it out of the park. Soun, in the end, serves no more purpose than a pawn in a chess. Wicked all the way, but […]

Sakura Quest – 07 [The Mansion in Purgatory]

This week in Sakura Quest, we have core members lashing out at each other, and some more nice interactions between other members – which in fairness is all I could hope for. You know a cast is well developed when you can pick any two main characters and they still have their unique chemistry together. […]

ID-0 – 06 [The Observer]

With this episode we start to learn more about Ido’s true identity but the reveal feel far-fetched at best. I know he’s supposed to be someone special, but “an enemy of mankind”? Seriously? That trope again? So he was a Titan or some kind of disease that destroy the human kind? Oh since he’s in […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100