Posted by psgels on 13 March 2014 with categories: Kill La Kill

So, the past week I put my effort into catching up with Kill la Kill, hoping that it at least would show how to tell a story correctly. And yeah, as much as I’d like to stay positive here, it turned out to be yet another hit on the list of the disappointments of the past Fall Season. Not a total disappointment, mind you. Still I’m not gonna recommend this one.

However to offset all of the negative things I’m going to say next, I do have a few positive points: I like that this show doesn’t really have a clear main character anymore. Sure, Ryuko still is really powerful and sortof in the center and all, but it’s not like she got the most attention here. She spent so many episodes out of the loop, to the point where the guys from Nudist Beach and the Elite Four had to push the story forward. Episode 21’s ending also finally brought in some good emotions. Not great, but I did enjoy it. The main villain also has a great theme song, and the side characters are quirky in a way that works.

Is that enough though… let’s start with the thing that you’ll firstly notice about the second half of this series: the OP sucks. I often say OPs suck and all, but let me go into a bit more detail, because this is something I just keep hearing over and over again: THE MELODY IS EXACTLY THE SAME as every other OP out there. The way the opening starts, with the short jingle, then followed by the sound that plays over the main credits: that exact melody gets used in every single OP with only slight variations here and there. After that you have this fast-paced base while we look at the main characters: again you hear that everywhere. After the introductions, the music intensifies again while we see the main characters fighting: yet again something that has been beaten to death. I thought that Kill la Kill meant to set conventions? What’s it doing with so many dead horses here?

The good news is that the new OP IS the worst thing I found about the second half so far, however there were other things that… just did not sit quite right with me. Here is the thing: Satsuki was an interesting villain. She was built up, she stood there, having built up the school, and she had this fun rivalry with Ryuko. On top of that she had some fun underlings which made the first thirteen episodes varied, and fun to watch. In the second half, she is replaced with the main villain of this series, who in all honestly is a really boring villain. She’s just another all-powerful villain who wants to destroy the world, blah blah blah. However, the biggest problem is that she only has one underling. So for like, the past eight episodes we had to watch mostly fights against her and that underling. There’s only so many times that you can show them easily pwning the good guys until it gets boring, especially when all these fights are so one-sided. Every time they’re scratched they just pull these magical life threads out of their asses (or boobs in this case) and they’re completely fine as if nothing happened. Once or twice this is fine, but they just keep doing that.

I know I’ve gotten more cynical, but here’s one thing that also bothered me with especially the past few episodes that’s something that I’ve hated ever since I started this blog: brainwashing. Ryuko is reduced to a mere shell who doesn’t think for herself at all, she’s not responsible for her actions, she is just this big robot who is nearly invincible until she’s saved by rules that are conveniently very loose. And she gets brainwashed twice. And I get that she’s losing control of her emotions and sanity. That was built up. What wasn’t built up is her suddenly becoming the slave of the main villain.

Kill la Kill was fun because it kept us entertained for every episode with over the top action scenes that knew how to be fun and varied, using the backdrop of clothing as their setting and symbolism, but to me it seems like the second half just needed half the episodes, and the characters have been running around naked for a bit too long now, not really knowing what to do. I mean, I did not hate these episodes or something, but I noticed quite a few points at which I was just bored by what was going on… did I really make the right decision to prioritize this series over the new season of Hajime no Ippo?

1. AidanAK47 says:

To be fair you wouldn’t have had a lot to write about with Ippo. It’s pretty much the same story. It’s still good but it would be hard to say something new about it.
    I at least appreciate that the opponent boxers are getting better. There was a point were the other boxers just became too damn stereotypically evil.

2. Pig God says:

Have you given up on Hunter x Hunter?

3. brianwuzhere says:

“I thought that Kill la Kill meant to set conventions?”

Where did you get that idea? Imaishi has never been about originality or innovation. Everything he’s done, thus far, has paid homage to something retro with his usual style over substance formula. TTGL, PSG and KLK are loaded with references and if anything, he is all about conventions: “We thought we’d go all out with the best elements from shonen manga”

Dead Leaves = 80s OVA Birth
    Re: Cutie Honey = Cutie Honey (obviously)
    Gurren Lagann = Mecha anime from the 70s through the 90s
    Panty and Stocking = Powerpuff Girls
    Inferno Cop = Terribad 80s OVAs
    Kill la Kill = Battle shounen

The first ED with Ryuko staring at the wedding dress implied that it was going to happen eventually, so when Satsuki was robbed of her “purity” at the end of ep 18, it was only a matter of time. If nothing else, the brainwashing scene with the juxtaposition of pleasure and borderline rape helped reinforce the 1984, Animal Farm and Macbeth allusions about contradictions in Ragyo’s fascism. On another note, Ippo Rising has turned out about as well as the previous season.

• MysticMad says:

I would say that Kill la Kill is homage to go nagai in general. The moment evil lady gaga showedup cemented that for me. I been getting devil man and cute honey vibes, with a touch just a touch of kekko kamen.

• tamerlane says:

Imaishi didn’t direct FLCL, Inferno Cop, or Re: Cutie Honey. FLCL was Tsurumaki’s beast, and that is abundantly clear if you watch Diebuster. Please don’t incorrectly attribute good anime to bad directors tia.

4. Firechick says:

I was never into Kill la Kill anyway, nor do I have any intention of watching it. It’s not my cup of tea.

5. Mazz says:

1) I can see how seeing Nui every episode can get tiresome if you don’t like her. I personally find her entertaining as hell, especially how she dodges attacks all 2d like and shit. Nui just don’t give a fuck.

2) I agree that Ragyo is a shit villain compared to Satsuki. I can see why people would want to follow Satsuki, whereas I don’t see why one would want to follow Ragyo, besides the fact that she is in total contol of the worlds clothing. Nothing about her character screams out to me, and I honestly don’t understand her motivation to do this all.

3) I’ve never been a big fan of Ryuko, and these last developments didn’t help. She was just too emotional over trivial shit “I didn’t care about my dad, but I get super emotional when I find his killer!” Why? Even someone like Samurai Flamenco, the face of fucking Justice, couldn’t bring himself to care about the person who murdered his parents he never met. Her character just felt forced from the first episode, though I do find her personality to be enjoyable to watch. These latest developments just felt so cliche. Of all the stuff she could be mad about, she is mad about being a life fiber? Who the fuck cares? So far I haven’t like any of the development Ryuko has gotten, but they have all lead to some pretty badass scenes, so thats good I guess.

With all that said, I do still find Kill la Kill to be a breath of fresh air every week, even if it isn’t perfect.

6. Flawfinder says:

Whilst it’s true that Lady Gaga isn’t a very interesting villain (yeah, I never liked the “actual” bad guys in this show either), I think Satsuki became even more interesting after she turned to the good guy side. She has the same traits, but now they’re being challenged in some good ways. Plus, Mako is love. Can’t argue about Ryuuko though. I probably dig her plights more than most people, but yeah it has gotten repetitive. Still, it leads to some awesome scenes that I find heartwarming in their bloodiness. I LOVED the ending to Episode 21 in all its violent carnage. Heehee.

Please don’t give this a lower rank than Gurren Lagann. :(

• Fer says:

Why should it get the same rank when Gurren Lagann did not have most of these issues? Just a rhetorical question.

7. Spike says:

I hear this whiney shit from bloggers every week. You guys simply don’t get it. KLK was never meant to be some unique plot driven story like Evangelion. It was a way to showcase Studio Trigger animation chops, choreography, and off the wall insanity. It succeeds on all 3. The only people disappointed are people looking for something that was never going to be there to begin with – and you need only read the press releases from TRIGGER before the show began to know what you were going to get, a showcase for their talent not Shakespeare writing.

• Mikey says:

“You guys simply don’t get it.”

I despise these words. Anyone who says these words lose all credibility.

And I like Kill la Kill. So clearly you have said something very wrong.

• AidanAK47 says:

Don’t spout that bullshit and tell me it’s gold.
      If Kill la kill was a showcase of animation talent then it’s failed. You may be able to see the talent trigger has but it’s getting killed by a clearly lacking budget. Kill la Kill may be a rare breed that cannot truly be judged by story or characters much like gurren lagann. However it’s is clearly struggling to capture the magic that gurren Laggan had. Therefore when it can’t provide that same thrill it’s deserves all the attack it gets for it’s other elements. Hell, I like Kill la kill but even I cannot really deny anything psgels is saying. Ragyo is a crap villain. Ryoukos little tantrums and switching sides is cringeworthy. Though I like Nui but her battles are too one sided.

My point is dear fellow, that I was looking for the same thing you are looking for and I am not seeing it.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

For animation chops, Trigger’s already proven itself with Little Witch Academia. Rather than pure animation, I’d say Kill la Kill was more of a demonstration of the studio’s talent to create a popular series as a new company and with a limited budget. Which, while not consistently impressive, is likely enough to showcase to investors that you can trust this studio to make good use of the money you’d be throwing at them in the future.

• AidanAK47 says:

I don’t quite argee. Wouldn’t Kill la kill also put off investors because it shows how Trigger can’t manage their animation budget? Give them a huge investment and they might blow it all on the first episode.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

No offense, but how do you get the exact opposite thought from what I just wrote? Sure, the animation in KlK gets pretty sloppy at times, but it’s not only the company’s first TV series but also a 2-cour series. I think the fact that we’re not seeing just voice-overs on text caps (you know what I’m talking about ;)) is proof enough that even if they had the shittiest budget in the world, Trigger still has a bag of tricks to keep the illusion going while fitting in consistently with the show’s atmosphere.

• AidanAK47 says:

Yeah you are right. I wrote that while tired at work. Not really sure what I was thinking.

• Hogart says:

I hear whiny comments like this all the time, but they’re no defense for a show that’s getting legitimately boring. I should know, I had no lofty expectations going in either, and just wanted something cheesy and entertaining. But even I’m getting bored now with those same low expectations. Perhaps the people who are disappointed have a point, rather than an agenda to condemn TRIGGER for not writing Shakespeare.

• Joe says:

“Animation chops.” Hah!

8. Aline says:

Totally agree about the OP. Especially the first one was awful. Such a shame.

9. Jeevas says:

The only thing I like about Ragyo is her soundtrack.

10. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I’m surprised your reaction to the OP was about the music rather than the animation. As limited as their budget is, the second OP was still disappointing considering it’s an OP, but was almost entirely stand-stills. That moonwalking.

11. Sword Testing Cliff says:

Yo, you don’t have to “balance positive with negative parts of what you think” most of yoru fans some here because they are inetereted in yoru opinion, youro non watered down by what other people may say about it opinion. Even thouh there are time when I don’t agree with you (like that silly nobunaga in space with stupid historical figures and every Japanese man’s wet dream happening on screen) I’d still rather see you voice them than censor yoruself because someone may disagree with you. Criticism is GOOD. it can really bring points to the front that some people have never thoght about or couldn’t articulate. if you want to praize or criticize a show, you should be able to do that 100% without feeling like you have to please your viewers.

Hell, there were shows that I LIKED that after reading your criticicms Taught me stuff that I never thought of!

If peolpe dont like what you say and go all Mentar on you…let them go jump off a cliff…into the baron pit.

12. m says:

I’ve found Kill la Kill to be much better than I expected it to be, since I think TTGL is a steaming pile of shit and it’s certainly its cousin. It’s basically a childish magical girl series with the level of zaniness you can expect from that strain of Gainax’s catalog. This includes repeated encounters with a somewhat clownish, but always just out of reach villain that is core to, say, the formula of a Precure series.

I actually think I like the later parts of the series more than the earlier parts, where the obvious training arc being run on Ryuuko by Satsuki was starting to try my patience. Even if it’s thin plot, I like plot.

• DangerMouse says:

I think they ended her training just early enough before it got to be trying but I agree I never really saw Satsuki as the actual villain and saw it forming relatively early what Satsuki was really doing with Ryuuko, and ofcourse even moreso especially as her subordinates started getting flashbacks making them even more sympathetic and likely to be good guys. So I think it’s a bit of an odd complaint complaining that Satsuki was replaced as the villain in the second half.

I really liked how they actually pulled through on that arc since Satsuki was pretty cool through the first half and didn’t give her a fake out reason for doing it, even if Ragyou is not as charismatic of a villain as Satsuki would have been for obvious reasons.

I’ve been quite enjoying the show and it’s characters.

13. Chan says:

The problem I have with this review is really the fact that a lot of psgels complaints don’t make any sense, because it seems less

Psgels claims that KLK was supposed to break conventions, but the show never made such a promise, in fact its been paying homages to older anime for a while now and it kind of says a lot about your observation skills that you’re just now noticing it.

Also the format of the series should have made you realize that the good guys weren’t going to win, if they did then the series would be over. But its not as though the heroes were held back all that much considering the amount of contingency plans they had. Also even though they didn’t they didn’t lose either as they still stopped a good portion the people in the city from getting eaten, which if Ragyo had won would have happened, and they still protected their main weapons which would have been destroyed if Satsuki had won.

Also Ragyo doesn’t really want to destroy the world, she just wants to feed the humans to the life fibers, big difference. Also Ryuko being brainwashed, the first time, I don’t think it can count since that barely even lasted for a minute (its so short that you sound like a nitpicker for complaining about that) and the second time is explainable if you paid attention to the earlier episodes and only really lasted one episode.

• Johnyliltoe says:

I think you’re missing the concept of conventions. KLK pays homage to older shows that had a certain charm to them. Shows that, at the time, were conventional; however, times have changed and new conventions have arisen.

Psgels doesn’t claim the KLK was going to tread new territory, just that it was going to break conventions. Specifically modern conventions because it would be beyond unreasonable to expect a show to break all conventions that have ever been in place.

The problem is that the second half has fallen into modern cliches. It feels less and less like a homage to the classics with each episode.

• brianwuzhere says:

Sure, there was the revival of the evil student council trope and the unapologetic Go Nagai style fanservice, but it wasn’t devoid of modern cliches like the Power of Friendship, introduced as early as episode 2. As for the second half, it’s pretty much lifted from the almost 20-year old Evangelion: the neglectful parent, the NERV/REVOCS comparisons, the alien invasion that leads to collectivism, the villain manipulating the MC to believe in this false happiness and the MC finally coming to grips with who he/she is.

14. Melvon says:

Kill la kill is good but you should be reviewing samurai and golden time instead of wasting your powers with kill la kill, it is true that sf has fallen greatly but I’m very sure that your lack of motivation is due to kill la kill, it tries too hard only to let you down.

• Avalon says:

Can’t say I agree with you here. While KLK may try hard and is definitely not for everyone it mostly manages to stay entertaining, those other two (of which I am still watching) are VERY hit and miss with their entertainment. Whether you like it or not, KLK has a story it really wants to tell and I do not feel that desire from the other two. Golden Time has/had potential, but too many episodes has hurt it. If only it could have been a season and a half long or something. Too many boring things thrown among a few interesting story segments.

15. Simonette says:

You are clearly an idiot.

16. Mecha says:

It’s interesting to see how this debate is going.
    Personally, I just watch the anime simply because I feel entertaint by it and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Whether it has bone-breaking flaws I leave that to others who are far better in judging those things than me.

I got what I wanted to see and I’m satisfied thus far

17. petran79 says:

regarding narrative, Kill la Kill is perhaps even closer to the older series than both TTGL and PSG.

it is also the only one that remains faithful to its original style till the end.

the limited animation is a reference to the manga scenes older anime used to insert and re-design, so as to convey the characters feelings. eg Dezaki’s/Sugino’s TV series.

Only few of those traits survived in the newer series, like twitching eyes and beads of sweat on the face

Overall, this series manages to be so light and enjoyable like the older series. but this is also something very difficult to achieve.

A series not for everybody, but one has to recognize its worth.

ps: take a break from Hajimme no Ippo and start Ashita no Joe 1&2.

18. Adomzzz says:

I think your newly developed cynicism is stopping you from enjoying a series which yes is flawed, but very entertaining. Why are you focusing so much of your time and criticism on an OP? It has nothing to do with the actual show and personally I just skip over the OP after watching it once, whether I like it or not. I agree that Ragyo is a very bland villain, but I think the style that encompasses her sort of makes up for her lack of depth. While Ryuko and Satsuki have mainly been fighting against Nui, these fights are still varied and entertaining in my opinion.

You can’t look at Kill La Kill and expect it to do what Kaiba did, or any other unconventional show. I think Kill La Kill is serving its purpose as an entertaining homage to all powerful anime of the past and being fun, stylish, and a blast to watch while doing it.

• tamerlane says:

…except Kill la Kill isn’t all that entertaining? The deflection that “it’s only stylish, crazy fun” is pretty weak since a show attempting to meet those requirements can still fail. The action in KLK is poorly choreographed, the layouts are generic, the humor is lame, the soundtrack is unbearable…how are people getting hyped about this? Is it because anime fans are easy victims to hype and have low standards? (Yes)

This isn’t an issue of Kill la Kill lacking depth, although I’d argue the show’s creators intended for the show to be deeper than its defenders are giving credit for. It’s that Kill la Kill is bad at what it does. When the show is no longer airing, and people are watching it for the first time without the week-long gaps, the low quality of the series will be even more apparent.

• Avalon says:

Wow, toot your own horn why don’t you. Half of those points you mentioned are completely your opinion such as humor and soundtrack. If we’re talking about low standards then I can direct you to the many harem/ecchi series of the past year. While you didn’t say it directly, it can be perceived that you honestly believe KLK is no better than those. I don’t care whether it fits your taste or not, someone who has watched enough anime can tell a show that deserves some credit from the trash whether it fits your personal taste or not. KLK deserves some credit. If you can’t tell then you have no right to criticize it.

Psgels new attitude is refreshing, but he is going too far with it. It seems the only thing that will satisfy him now are those super amazing anime we get like twice a year if that. Anime with the quality of Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy to name a couple. All I can say is good luck with that psgels.

Anime are meant to be enjoyed. It seems now psgels watches an anime purely to figure out what it is doing wrong and why it fails. How about you try to enjoy it. Every anime has some flaws. Of course KLK has flaws, but you sound like you are just trying to bash it.

“Still I’m not gonna recommend this one.” Honestly? A few issues you have with the second half (after greatly enjoying the first half I might add) and suddenly it isn’t worth anything. Have fun with your perfect standards.

• psgels psgels says:

Sorry Avalon, but this is the prime example of what a bad comment is like. Why? You basically tell me how I should watch a series, and that my opinion is invalid.

The thing with Kill la Kill is that I was trying to enjoy it, but I found my interest in it progressively waning. In the same way that so many other series did for the past year, so of course I would be pissed off.

I’m not asking for much. Just a solid plotline and characters that take their audiences seriously. In the past there were plenty of series like that.

• Avalon says:

Yea, I started ranting in that comment and I apologize for that.

I just think that dismissing a show so quickly after enjoying it so much before is a little too much. I liked hearing your opinions when you were enjoying things a lot more so now that your attitude has evolved, I went off on you. Sorry.

In regards to tamerlane’s comment, I still feel he was just stating his opinions like they were fact, which is what riled me up in the first place.

• tamerlane says:

lol. you can say my points are “completely my opinion” but they are backed up by sound observations. like how sawano’s emotionless bombast is more fitting of WWI trenches than an anime soundtrack, or how every imaishi show isn’t far removed from newgrounds flash cartoons in terms of visual wit and humor. The “it’s all subjective opinion” shtick is the peak of intellectual laziness.

I’ve watched tons of anime, including the stuff KLK is “homaging”/ripping off. If you’re going to set harem/ecchi shows as the baseline then yeah I guess KLK isn’t as bad as those. KLK is really bad tho, and because it’s the kind of bad that results from a failed aesthetic enterprise rather than a complete lack of artistry a la ecchi shows, it offends me more. So, no, KLK deserves no credit just because it tried and failed to be a good anime.

• Avalon says:

I’ve already painted myself the bad guy here so I have no desire to make it worse. I just don’t agree that KLK has failed as bad as you say it has. We’ll have to agree to disagree since neither of us is changing our views anytime soon. For example I still think the humor and soundtrack have some good points.

I’ll say it again, KLK is not perfect and I know it, but it is still better than most of the stuff that has come out the last couple seasons.

Just for the record, one of my main gripes about the anime is Ryuko being such a back and forth character. I wish she could be as developed as Satsuki who knows exactly what she wants and will do anything to get it. I also really enjoy the Elite Four. Though you probably have issues with all of them as well.

• psgels psgels says:

I also disagree with you using the word “bad” here, because to me it sounds so definitive. I wouldn’t call Kill la Kill “bad” as a show at all. Perhaps it has some bad elements, but it’s still better than the average anime out there and has its entertaining moments.

The way I see the series is that it’s “not good enough”, which is the reason why I don’t recommend it.

• tamerlane says:

@Avalon: I have no problem painting myself as the bad guy if it means higher quality discussion. You think the humor and soundtrack have good points. What are they? This isn’t a leading question, but something to start a discussion with. ‘Agreeing to disagree’ means avoiding having to think and back up your opinions. At which point, why even talk about our opinions at all?

@psgels: I don’t think we should be afraid to use “bad” definitively. I mean, the existence of other worse anime doesn’t negate KLK’s overwhelming problems. If you don’t watch those ultrabad anime at all, like I don’t, then maybe KLK’s badness will become more apparent. In any case, I enjoyed your post.

• Avalon says:

I’ll never understand why I have to hit reply four comments from the bottom, but whatever.

Anyway, you are talking about being a bad guy that fights for his opinions, I am talking about a bad guy that attacks the other person for having different opinions. That is what I did and I want to avoid doing it again.

I’m not going to lie, I’m not sure how to describe what I like about the soundtrack. The best I can do is say I like how there is quite a variety between the types of music. Such as the haunting melody of Harime Nui’s theme against the rock of Gamagoori’s theme. Also that theme that used to play when Ragyou came on screen. I guess I like how each character’s theme actually fits them instead of just forcing a theme on a character. At least they work for me.

The humor is more hit and miss I won’t deny. For example, Mako’s family isn’t as funny and is overused a bit. My favorite comedy pretty much revolves around the banter of the elite four with pretty much anyone else.

You mention KLK has “overwhelming problems” and I think you are blowing them out of proportion. The good far outweighs the bad imo. Even with the issues, this anime doesn’t fail to entertain.

• tamerlane says:

@Avalon:

What you’re describing about the soundtrack has more to do with the sound direction than anything. I agree, the sound directors have made the best of a bad situation by not letting any individual track of Sawano’s blegh OST last too long. However the OST itself, when listened outside the show, is horrible.

19. mulligan says:

I enjoyed this show far more than I initially thought I would. It had traits that in the hands of a lesser writer and director the show would have gone sideways much earlier in the series. Instead it just grew and grew on me. Still haven’t figured out exactly how they managed to do it all but this is a great great start for trigger.

20. HunterWulf says:

Wow, so many unrealistically lofty expectations, high horses and pointless bashing … it’s so sad anime fans these days are either brainless fan-service junkies that live off the drivel harem and fanservice/incest/loli shows that air in a dozen every season (the type of people you find on Sankaku Complex in the comments section) .. or mightier-than-thou fans spouting crap about how everyone has low standards and expecting every show to be flawless masterpiece that meets everything in their lofty unrealistically ideal checklist of what an anime should be like .. get off your high horses and you might enjoy a show like KLK for what it is, other wise i advice you to simply move on and stop wasting your time and the time of everyone else who enjoys the show for what it is.

Kill la kill is surely not for everyone, i can totally understand if you watched the first episode (or first couple of episodes) and then went like “meh, it’s not my thing”, but the thing is .. we are near the end of the series and if you start complaining now you clearly haven’t been paying attention and built unrealistic expectation that has nothing to do with the original intentions of the show makers .. for example .. KLK sure does break some conventions .. but it ALSO is paying homage to a lot of older shonen and magical girl shows (and i facepalm really hard when stuck up idiots can’t tell the difference between paying homage and ripping off), NOTHING .. and i say it again NOTHING says that it can’t do both .. just becasue that doesn’t meet your lofty checklist doesn’t mean it can’t be done .. prime example is when they broke the recap episode trope (ep 15) by doing a rapid montage and then moving on to the 2nd half of the series .. that’s breaking a stupid convention that needs to be broken and doesn’t affect the “homage” they are aiming for … on the other hand .. they don’t need to break useful tropes like the “Magical girl transformation” or the “big bad villain” convention because it’s in direct relation to the stuff they are trying to homage .. they did add their spin on the magical girl transformation to fit their living clothes theme and they did offer us Satsuki as an interesting villain in the first half .. but like with many other similar shows the early villains/rivals become allies and we move on to facing the ultimate end game villain who is usually meant to be an immense evil force (kinda like a force of nature .. a volcano, a tornado .. even zombies), those villains aren’t meant to have deep complicated personalities, they are just meant to give our heroes an almost impossible obstacle to overcome for our viewing pleasure .. and they stuck with that trope becasue it serves their goals.

And by god, what is all that about the OP and soundtrack !!!!, they are doing their intended role fantastically, it’s Hiroyuki Sawano the composer of Attack on Titan sound track and he delivers, the tracks work damn fine on their own as they do work in the series blood pumping homage and crazy filled fight scenes, the outfits switching scenes from the OP are really brilliant as they tie in with the magical-girl and clothes themes .. etc etc

Criticizing Kill la Kill is a waste of time becasue it’s not meant to be that type of series, it’s either hate it or love it type .. you either sit-back and enjoy the show for all the references, trope-breaking antics, over-the-top craziness, slap-stick humor and shameless but self-aware fan-service or you just don’t watch it at all .. anything in the middle is a pure waste of time and cringe worthy .. KLK is a mess, it’s a ton of different things, it’s not perfect it’s not ideal nor is it the next evolution of anime …
    it’s a fun ride that’s meant to viewed the way it is .. criticism or over-analysis is a pointless waste of time with this type of series.

Take it or leave it.

I’m off to green pastures where there are anime-fans who know how to have fun and enjoy something for what it’s worth, the cynicism levels here are becoming intoxicating.

• tamerlane says:

i really hope this post was directed at me

• HunterWulf says:

Frankly i had that intention at the start of writing my comment, but then i realized i’m pissed by the entire overtly cynical atmosphere that’s starting to permeate the blog here more than any one specific person (psgels included), so don’t take it personally.

It’s quite sad that it has come to this but i really don’t feel like following this blog like i used to before, i owe it a lot introducing me to a lot of excellent anime i probably would have never seen otherwise, but the overtly cynical and negative way things are going makes it frustrating to hang around or read any of the reviews or comments (not just Psgels but everyone regularly commenting here), i do understand some people wanting to have a higher quality threshold to only watch the best of the best anime due to time constraints or other reasons, but when this attitude starts going overboard it turns into nit-picking, bashing and mightier-than-thou antics all which i can’t stand.

I suppose i will be getting my anime blog needs else-where with a more positive outlook on things, i know most of you don’t even know me (i lurk around a lot but comment quite rarely) but i want to say it used to be nice being around here so see you around guys and thanks Psgels for all the effort you put in this blog.

• tamerlane says:

sounds like you have some growing up to do. high standards are never a bad thing and should be encouraged. frankly i don’t think anyone is going to miss your absence, given the entitled attitude you have in these posts

i just saw that psgels reviewed & liked Zettai Shounen, which means he has my support+respect. your loss is his gain, basically

• HunterWulf says:

The very fact you are trying to make this personal is proof enough of who has some growing up to do, and you have no right to speak for anyone .. so please speak for yourself .. your precious high standards can become pretentiousness and mightier-than-though crap very very easily.

And since you made it personal .. well let me say that people like you are why this place has become suffocating, and what the heck does Zettai Shonen has to do with anything, sigh .. i’m just wasting my time here, enjoy your intoxicating atmosphere as much as you want .. bye.

• tamerlane says:

lol you say you quit this blog twice but you keep posting

i brought up zettai shonen since b/c of blog posts like this, i was compelled to look into psgels’s previous entries. basically by adopting higher standards he got me, a good poster, to start looking into his blog while you were alienated and had a hissy fit. more proof that having higher standards in the anime community can only be beneficial

21. Blade says:

Really? The second OP is a much better song that fits the more dramatic tone of the show much better. I thought the first one felt generic as hell.

22. Yunan says:

I don’t agree – I think Kill la Kill is exciting and I love the opening credits. I do agree that the fights between Ragyo and Nui did get dull though, or at least until the fight where Nui lost her arms!

23. Yeah, well I enjoy Kill la Kill for what it is. I watched every episode at least 3-4 times without the novelty wearing out. And I bet that if I was to pick this up months from now, I will still enjoy it.

Then again, some people seem to mistake/misunderstand ‘cynicism’ as ‘constructive criticism’.

24. I didn’t read any of this post, but I’m pretty sure that you’re wrong about everything you say in it. You are a blowhard and an ignoramus.

It was just 3 years ago. I think I MUST review everything as soon as I finish, otherwise I will forget. Getting old now. Dang it
It was a great review, Kaiser. I also feel comparing Black Coal to Memories of Murders don't do this film justice too (although to be hinest I don't see the comparison). Your review just reminds me that I did review that film on Letterboxd, thou for the life of me, when I read ny own review I had no clue that i did write it
@K-off: Constantine was really the only reason I would have considered seeing the film, as I enjoyed some of the comics he appeared in.
Yaaay! Favaro is back!
@Mario: Ah, now I remember, I stopped watching ghost hound at around episode 14 or 15 years ago.
Justice League Dark ended up being one of the weakest among the recent animated dc films. The opening was intriguing but it drops the ball as soon as it focuses on Zatanna and Constantine...The demonic manipulation of people isn't tied well enough to the villain, so that premise ends up feeling pointless, everything is inconsequential by the end. Why was this even made?
And for once, I feel that developing the characters isn't a appropriate choice for this type of show. The main cast need to develop, yes, but most of the supporting cast was presented as ambiguous and mysterious, thus making them change in the end feel just wrong
The main kidnapping was never addressed thoroughly, and it should be the main overarching arc, instead of this ending.
So... I've just binged through Ghost Hound. It starts as a compelling psychological mystery series, and ends up being... thriller of sort? The first half, building up stage was its best, and then unfortunately it run out of steam
Hey Favoro is like a good whiskey. You gotta drink it slow and enjoy it :)

I liked Predators.
Spike
8 episodes in we finally get to see who we were all waiting for in Bahamut! ...for 2 seconds.
I did watch the version with the alien coming out of the ox. I haven't watched Predators, AVP1 was ok, like the newer movies its just the human element that has consistently gotten worse and unmemorable. I think that element in particular made me enjoy watching Alien 3 now, than if I had watched it in order, considering how it begins.
Thankfully the franchise can never fall as low as the predator reboot or alien vs predator.
@Vonter: Be sure you're watching the extended version.
I liked 3/4s of this film, as the plans to kill the alien got more cumbersome the film got more tiring. And I think it was obligated to annihilate the cast considering they take the time to take out a whole bunch of them. I also think it's very noticeable the tiring production this had, and while people praise practical effects now, this movie sadly didn't integrate well the alien puppet.
I've just watched Alien 3, the only Alien movie I hadn't seen do to the diviseness towards it. I think I went with the best expectations considering now on hindsight newer movies have made it look more competent, having more weight. This movie has characters, integrates the religious motiffs better, the Alien more than a closet monster is a formidable force of nature.
.....It just dawn on me looking through my letterboxd account...I have never seen afro samurai...
@Kaiser: I'm on hold with SukaSuka as well after 5 episodes. Ejoyable so far but its LN's tendencies hurt the show
@Kaiser: yeah, like I said in one of my weekly post, Tsuki ga Kirei is simple, but isn't easily obtained. At this point, I'm truly invested in these kids that it makes me tense just to see how they keep up with their relationship, haha.
I have yet to catch up with sukasuka and don't care about bahamut all that much.
I feel its sweet and sensitive approach has a rhythm to it that I started going along with.
It’s obviously slow but I began not noticing the time go by as I watched more.
The art makes me think of Shimura Takako’s and makes me wonder what the series might have been like if she wrote it.
The dub is mediocre so after 3 episodes I switched to subs.
The relative quietness and how scaled back in comparison to other anime romances is welcome and it never becomes dramatically or comedically obnoxious which I think is in its favour.
I decided to catch up on tsuki ga kirei. We said this before, but that scene where he meets the publisher about his writing is a stand out one.
For the show overall so far itself, above all I see it as something simple, un-demanding to watch, its good a break from all those old/art films I have to concentrate on harder to follow.
Maybe Goth would count but its more o a mystery manga.
Not familiar with shibito or sugar life. May as well recommend everything by Kazuo Umezu and Junji ito. 6000 ended disappointingly, I fell behind in dead tube. Does sugar dark count?
I am a Hero is a personal favorite of mine
@Anon: Uzumaki, Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi, Happy Suger Life, 6000 and Dead Tube. I suppose.
What is some good horror manga
@Mario I also noticed that korean thrillers are way too obnoxious with shakycam.
@Mario, about LWA, that was how I felt. Its just not as magical, as special, as the original OVA was to me. I suppose thats to much to ask for a 25 ep series, but it turned me off
@Mario, TV Diana has some charm points but I think OVA Diana provided a better dynamic. I mean sure, She was essentially female Draco Malfoy but her attitude made reveals like her being a secret Chariot fan more impactful. Plus her tsundere act torwards Akko was rather adorable.
about LWA again, unlike Aidan I actually enjoy this version of Diana. I know she's one note, too perfect but she's charming. Too charming haha which serves well as a contrast to Akko
...just pop one random film from him. His films are not without its bad side thou, in particular I find the dialogues shapeless and dragging. But well it does add to the naturalness of his films
on LWA I would also recommended it. It is a fluffy show, with a sense of wonder. Some episodes are better, some are more flat, and the over-arching storyline leaves me bored. But it does have that sense of childlike wonder, which I had missed among all the "grim" shows.
@Kaiser: I have a bit of problems with Korean movies lately as now they're heavily thriller style-over-substance films, so films that have very simple style like Hong-Sang-Soo's joints are the welcome change of air. One thing about his films thou, If you watched one of his film, you've watched them all. They're so similar in tones and concepts that I reckon if you feel like watching his films...
So I say it's still worth finishing. It's good but I don't feel the sparks that made it so great from the OVAs anymore
@Lenlo: about LWA. Plus side: Those hijinks. I mean the show is fun and magical. Negative side: I wish the show's storytelling is a bit tighter, each episode feels so loose it doesn't add up much and more like different variations of Akko + one member of the cast's hijink. Doesn't help either that the other casts just disappeared until they have an episode for 2 for themselves
@Anon1113829: I "enjoyed" Beyond the Boundary, but that show was a mess. The episode 10 was stand out for me, and the ending was kinda... a wreck. Certainly interesting but quality-wise I wouldn't reccommend it
@SuperMario KyoAni fan? What did you think of Kyoukai no Kanata? I really wanted to like it, I thought it had some potential, but IMO nothing worked right.
@Lenlo, It's good. Fun to watch certainly. Though sadly it falls short of being great.
So question: Is Little Witch Academia worth finishing atm? I started it last season, but for some reason it just fell off my radar
@Mario: Thankfully, while not entirely satisfying, day he arrives is just the Korean film I've been looking for, refreshingly more low key, quieter and I enjoyed the new wavy combined with raw style, making it all feel very natural.
@Mario: Well then, thanks for the rec on Hong-sang-so, I looked at The day he arrives. Y'know the reason I sometimes dread going into films featuring romance is because I'm conditioned from seeing the bad ones.
....I may actually read this, the last time I read a manga steeped in politics was Sanctuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle:_The_Making_of_an_Asian-American_President
@Aidan: I actually have very limited experience with Ellis as a comic book writer, only read Transmetropolitan, I know he's writing the Castlevania adaptation.
@Aidan: I heard the same thing; can't help being a completist though so I'll eventually get to them
@Mario, From what I heard, it doesn't get better.
@Kaiser: that scene from the 1st episode of Phantom world lost me... but even then I'm willing to give the show another chance. That's how far I would go ^^ https://mobile.twitter.com/aaapodcast/status/687148875052892160/photo/2
@Kaiser, Looks like they are putting some real effort into it. May actually turn out pretty good after all.
@K-Off, Under the Red hood is a damn fine movie. Likely one of the best of the DC animated universe. Though try Superman vs the elite out. It's pretty good.
Even phantom world Mario...even phantom world ? =)
Just the teaser trailer, not much to go on, but heres a short preview of that netflix castlevania thing that got mentioned on here a while back, up the quality to 360p:
At this stage, I'm pretty much KyoAni fanboy now so with every new material, I'll hype it up to the sky ^^
@Mario: I did follow it up with The spy who loved me though to cheer myself up =P Given that Rodger Moore just died =)
@Kaiser: just looked through what Short Men Behind the Sun is about: "human experiments carried out by Japanese army during WW2?" Already sound grim and too real. Then "a graphic depiction of the human experiments" haha no wonder you felt unsettled Kaiser
VyseLegendaire
My favorite Exploitation Flick is An Inconvenient Truth 2.0
@Mario: Long story short men behind the sun is finally the exploitation flick that defeated me and actually made me unsettled.
@Mario: I remember you talking about how Salo really affected you as an exploitation film, generally exploitation films don't shock or disturb me, but I just watched the cantonese dubbed version of Men behind the sun.
And the worst thing about beyond the boundry and phantom world, it discolours my opinion of kyoani as a whole, making me negatively reflect on older work they did .
Yep, that's the new KyoAni one. Like Puran I don't have any expectations of it. The premise certainly seems like the closest they have come to breaking out of there usual format but I am sure they will find a way to shove in Moe antics. Though based on what is seen so far it looks like they are trying to emulate Key.
Puran
Is that a new KyoAni anime?.. I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Last Anime from them that I cared about was probably Hyouka
Bring you some news, Violet Evergarden will be aired as an anime TV. Though many sources saying it gonna air this year, it has a better possibility to air next year
Well, aesthetically, he's pretty much on par with Yang and Wong. It's just that his films are often emotionally distant, feel more like watching the paint dry hahaa
@Mario: I connect more emotionally with Yang and Wong.
@Mario: I went in expecting Edward Yang and Kar-wong-wai levels of quality, which may have been quite unfair standards to put him up against.
I myself find his films difficult to watch, but when the films end they usually hold up very very well. Both The Assassin and 3 Times in particular are my favorite of the year
@Kaiser: I completely understand your reaction because his films are demanding as hell. I remembered watching The Assassin in big screen, 3 people next to me fall asleep, one of them snoring and the other one fall asleep within the first 10 mins. That Hou Hsiao's movies for you
@Mario: Its such a shame because he makes gorgeous cinema and City of sadness is actually pretty informative account of the times....I just can't jive with him and I actually like "slow cinema" but watching his work is insanity inducingly boring for me.
@Mario: ....I'm really sorry, I don't mind long slow even spiritual, talky, non-narrative, old, complex,meditative , art films but I'm really really finding it hard to watch Hou Hsiao's work, I've tried time to live and the Assassin and I just bailed after 2 out of 3 hours on city of sadness.
I have to say Akko is developing nicely as a character in LWA. Also Magane in Re:Creators reminds me of Hannibal as palyed by Mads Mikkelsen. There is that same est for life married to sociopath that is a bit charming :) Mamika's character is also just cool. Beyond that AofT and Bahamut both delivered competent episodes, with Bahamut a good mix between comedy and tragedy.
@Aidan Assault on Arkham was fantastic. Between that and Under the Red Hood, a classic.
@Kaiser: I have a lot to say in this week's Eccentric Family. Review will come up later tonight when I get back home from work.
Seen Assault on Arkham or what it should be called, The animated Suicide Squad movie. Thinking of checking out Dark.
@Aidan: Have you seen assault on Arkham or the justice league dark film?
@Aidan: It isn't so much because its Talia x Batman, moreso that it feels odd shipping Batman with anyone.
While kind of amusing, initially I wasn't too into Uchouten this week, the hot spring part got me groaning, but then someway through dramatically it really picked up.
From reading comics a few years back, I still feel that they adapt better to animation.
@Vonter: And I say this as someone who was able to defend Alien 3 and Ressurection.
Covenent felt like an Infantilized version of Alien.
I wouldn't call either John Wick film or free fire amazing or anything but they had great fight scenes that were actually visually coherent , of course they weren't given a proper release.
I'm not watching/paying for anymore of these reboots/remakes/shakey cam pg rated action films anymore. I'll stick with my balls to the wall Hong-Kong/Chinese ones.
@Vonter: It also had really uneven pacing aswell.
@Vonter: ....The dialogue is so embarassing, they don't do enough with this backstory, they just keep teasing, none of the new characters have the same charisma , the editting in the action scenes shakes all overtheplace.
@Vonter: I gave Covenent a fair chance, I thought it would be an exception to the reboot thing. I'll admit theres the sets, the atmosphere, Fassbenders performance , the idea to expand on the franchises mythos is cool but....
It really really hurts as a film fan, trying to find older, genuinely quality foreign films , finding that no-one is seeding them and theres no proper/in print dvd release anymore. Then finding some awful shakey cam modern American superhero film with billions of seeds and a bluray release.
@K-Off, I don't know. Todd was more the imperfect son always aiming for batmans approval. Damian is more an assasin wondering why the hell he can't just kill his enemies. I hear that Comic Damian works better than Animated Damian. I do think that if given a personality he could work but as he is currently you are right that he's essentially a mishmash of past robins.
I watched Alien Covenant and I don't know if it improves by being more dumb and less pretentious or if it os the final nail in the Alien franchise coffin. Not since the StarWats prequels there has been a retcon that changes your view of the original movies.
I can recall enjoying a certain Jason Todd centered story called Batman:death in the family.
Well, even when Damian does completely cross the line and become a villain, he's not even that interesting, i.e Injustice. Yup, Jason Todd already covered everything, but better.
Problem is that he's an edge lord cocky piece of shit that just doesn't have enough likeable traits for this to be compelling. What really pushed him over the edge was mocking Nightwing over his parents deaths. That shit is not on.
@K-Off, I like the contrast that Batman refuses to cross the line and kill but Damian has crossed that line. As well as his potentail to become a villain. Tim and Dick didn't really have that though Jason sort of did. Damian's arc is more about teaching him the morality of a hero.
@Aidan I'm not sure I like Damian's concept to begin with. The Bat-son dilemma's inherently addressed by the Robins for all intents and purposes. Damian just goes through the same motion, only difference being he's biologically related.
Yup. Wonderwoman either doesn't need to have a love interest, or it needs to be with Steve Trevor, the two have a solid backstory that the movies unnecessarily removed.
@Kaiser, I don't mind the Taila X batman pairing. Makes more sense than Batman and Batgirl. But if there's one pairing pushed in the new movies that I just find wrong is the Superman X wonder woman. I just don't get that one.
@K-Off, I like the concept of Damian as a character. But it's executed so badly.
Teen titans needs one more season to wrap up all the loose ends. Such as what happens to Slade, and Blackfires revenge. The creators clearly wanted to explore those plot lines but got cut short.
Teen Titans hasn't aged very well, but one thing I still do like about it is how contained and local the setting and cast were for the first half of that show. When godly superpowers are involved, that appeals to me. Much of the same reason why I like Logan and Raimi's Spiderman so much.
Very rarely watched teen titans when I was younger, I was vaguely interested in slade, stopped watching around when Terra appeared. I actively avoided comics where Damien appeared, never liked that Talia x Batman pairing much, I can only imagine how much worse it is to listen to Damien than read him.
@Aidan, I like some aspects of those movies, but I'm not a big fan of the new continuity and art style in general...and yeah it doesn't help that Damian is irredeemably unlikable.
@K-Off, There is also the DC animated Teen Titans movies like Teen Titans vs Justice Leage and Teen titans the Judus contract. Though it's not the same as the the TV series and Damian is such a dick.
@Anon I don't think Teen Titans needs another season. The last season wasn't that good, but the movie ended the series on a high note and Young Justice pretty much rebooted everything, at least in terms of replacing people's want for a more mature DC cartoon about the Titans.
Yeah it's become more of a hassel (for myself and my friends) to set aside time to go to a theater.
I guess in the end it all comes down to how easily it reaches the viewers. Give us a hard time and we don't give a damn to check the new movie/show out
... otherwise have to wait for a year, even more before it reaches Australia. But many companies will raise in the wake of Netflix and that will be where problems arise
This trend isn't happening within the anime industry, but it's happening in the movie world as well. In the past 2 years, Netflix starts to exclusively distribute many films, meaning that they won't have theatrical release, but straight to Video on Demand which caused quite a stir in the industry. Personally, I actually don't have much problem with it as now I will get a chance to see a film that
Dive!! , a series that will air next season on noitaminA slot will stream exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Not that I'm eagerly looking forward to Dive, but that news again makes me frustrated. No one will watch it and then all the hypes it might have will die down eventually.
Considering I didn't even expect a season 5 it's more than I could've evr wanted. Now if only if only Teen Titans could get the same chance.
Oh yeah, it turned out well. Didnt mean to say it didnt.
@Lenlo, Considering that the ratio of great to alright episodes is 8 to 2 I say that it turned out pretty well.
I have to say, the Samurai Jack season started stronger than it ended imo
So this is how Samurai Jack ends. 16 years in the making. Honestly considering how much needed to get wrapped up I knew the ending would be a bit flawed. Really think Gen should have givin it one more episode to flesh out the ending and then it wouldn't feel so rushed. Overall despite it's flaws, it's a decent ending. Not prefect by any means but it will do the job.
Lol theres a surprise, seriously, Black Lagoons manga is updating again.
worst recap ever for me? Gangsta. That was a stupid recap episode. Really like a Public Announcement. Useless, stupid, and ruining atmosphere. Utter stupidity. There I got it our of me :p
@Masky: Unfortunately too far behind in the sequel manga to catch up, I did take a look at THAT in the latest chapter though.
Huh, for some reason thought Tokyo Ghoul was under shonen when its seinen. Welp now that makes more sense, I was thinking story about cannibalism would be kinda absurd for shonen.
Spike
They serve no purpose except to fill airtime when production gets fucked up. They have 2 bad choices - run a recap or run an unfinished episode. Recap is generally the less dogshit choice. I've seen a few anime that ran the episodes with unfinished animations and still frames.... the backlash was about 100x what a recap is.
I'm about to say that to you as well Kaiser, maybe watch the recap and then continue on. The only thing I kind of take from the recap episode is the editting: how they chop off the fat of 6 episodes to still give you important developments. But as a way to catch up/ to reintroduce the series, it's freaking useless
I don't think anyone should start from the recap episode. Unless there was a long hiatus, a recap in between episodes is unnecessary for new viewers and old
I mean, aside from whatever happens with Mugaro.
Next episode seems early, out of 24 episodes, for Nina to learn the Prince is Chris, yet that seems to be what the confrontation is leading towards, and then she freaks out and he learns shes the dragon. Becomes the conflict for the rest of the season?
Seems I was right, Azazel didnt predict that Nina might not be so easily riled up as she once was. To bad so sad Azazel, she has someone she loves now.
How useful are these recap episodes anyway/actually? Hypothetically lets say I was feeling lazy and decided to watch tsuki ga kirei starting from the recap episode.
[link src="https://www.anirena.com/?s=blame

So long as there are consequences for how hes acting, then I am ok with it. I just dont want him to turn into some MC hero when hes acting like this.
And in Re:Creators Sota is still being a goddamn pussy. Now that the exposition has gone down I am really starting to hate this kid.
It's the presentation that they differ. Ghost Hound focuses more on the atmosphere, so those details I mentioned before work for their benefits; whereas Sagrada Reset focus on plots (and confusing themes) so those stick out like sore thumb.
4 episodes into Ghost Hound so far. This show also reminds me a bit of Sagrada Reset this season- the way they both emotional distant, complex plots; keep viewers away at arm's length, and feature characters that have robotic facial expressions. Yet I enjoyed Ghost Hound so far and couldn't engage in Sagrada Reset at all.
@Spike: I was like... "tsuki ga kirei has a recap episode, so let's move on to Kado"... another recap. Tsuki ga kirei I'm not too worry as it confirmed that it'll have 12 episodes, but I'm not confident on Kado
@lenlo: in a sense you have to suffer it all alone. No worries thou as I intend to binge watch it when this season's over
Spike
Kado team crumbled under the pressure. Recap this week.
@SuperMario, im happy I dont have to compete with anyone to cover Berserk :P Got it all to myself to whine about, though its been ever so slowly improving.
Ranka is ranka in any verse.
Bahmut no spoilers. Ranka Lee. She just doesn't get it so everyone dies. As she stands around wondering.
In fact, Okja will play in the Sydney film festival next month, but seeing that it will stream in Netflix at the end of June I think it's best to wait until then
@Kaiser: great, I'm super hyped to watch Okja. Always enjoy Boon's movies. The critic's reviews from Cannes on Okja should come up soon I believe.
@Kaiser: I watched Lain many times over as well but I'm sure that I didn't pick up everything. That show required multiple-viewing anyways.
@Mario: Good news, netflix will stream Okja at the end of this June.
@Mario: Its not often that I rewatch things, but years ago I've seen Lain at least three times, its also one of those few anime series where I felt to look up deeper analysis into it. It had a tremendous atmosphere and was ahead of its time.
@Kaiser: watching Ghost Hound made me want to revisit Serial Experiment Lain and give my episodic thoughts on that. Not gonna happen soon as I have my hand full right now but I swear I'll get to that one day.
@Mario: I actually am planning to rewatch ghost hound soon, so I'll give you my new thoughts on it then.
I always avoided Altair mostly based on it being a shounen action series. Kakeguruis premise involves gambling games, which I don't find interesting.
Kakegurui is on my list. I thought it would be crap (terrible setting etc), but the manga won me over. Princess Principal will be given a chance, so will Shoukouko no Altair.and perhaps Reflection. We shall see. Also Twilight Axis Gundam, as I love the manga team.
@Anon, Recap episodes exist because of production troubles. Sometimes shit happens when you make an anime.
You are being a bit overally argressive but I do agree with the statement that Ntr is pathetic power fantasy. It really is.
Ntr is a pathetic power fantasy for pathetic people
Why the hell do recap episodes exist. Do they think we're that autistic
I honestly don't even what NTR is so I had to look it up. Interesting
Just a quick remaider that Tsuki ga Kirei has a recap episode this week. And yep, after watching this week's Sakura Quest I think I'm gonna stick with it

Tsuki ga Kirei – 07 [Hold Back Nothing When Taking Love]

With this episode Tsuki ga Kirei marches on its impressive run. If there is one thing that I’m still impressed about Tsuki ga Kirei, it’s that despite its slow-pacing, the story never stands still. Each episode is a steady step-forward, clearly mark-out stage from its main couple’s relationship. I wasn’t at all expecting that much […]

Sakura Quest – 08 [The Fairy’s Recipe]

This was a solid episode from Sakura Quest. This week is the first of the two-parter (probably) about the Queen and her team making a special dish for Manoyama town that could attract tourists. Now I see the formula the show’s currently employing: the first three episodes focus on Yoshino and her coming to term with […]

Re:Creators – 07 [Everything I Can Do]

The conclusion to the last week’s fight turns out to only eslcate in size with Yuuya and the giant robot joining the fray before ending off on a rather anticlimactic note. You have Mamaika remaining true to her character and trying to put out fires everywhere while everyone else pairing off in a grudge match. […]

ID-0 – 07 [Overstepping]

This week found the three main characters: Ido, Maya and Alice all got “eaten” by that huge annoying rock. Thankfully, being a rock – they themselves call it a wandering planet, or Rajeev retrieved, it can only swallow them whole – not chew – but it effectively cuts down all the communication and oxygen from […]

Little Witch Academia – 20[Sense and Sensibility]

This episode has really nailed home for me just how defanging Diana has been a bad choice. In the OVA episodes Diana was bratty and stuck up but at least then she had character. In the TV series she’s more or less a mary sue through and through which is sadly a much more boring […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 33[The Hunters]

One thing that continues to surprise me when covering this series is that after watching a full 25 minute episode of it and sitting down to write, I think about what happened in the episode and find it remarkably little. Truly, what did happen this episode? Well Reiner and Bertholdt ran off with Eren and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 07 [The Friday Fellows Club, Again]

For a show that has a knack for little moments, this episode is one of the rare times that Eccentric Family goes for big dramatic emotional route, and manages to knock it out of the park. Soun, in the end, serves no more purpose than a pawn in a chess. Wicked all the way, but […]

Sakura Quest – 07 [The Mansion in Purgatory]

This week in Sakura Quest, we have core members lashing out at each other, and some more nice interactions between other members – which in fairness is all I could hope for. You know a cast is well developed when you can pick any two main characters and they still have their unique chemistry together. […]

ID-0 – 06 [The Observer]

With this episode we start to learn more about Ido’s true identity but the reveal feel far-fetched at best. I know he’s supposed to be someone special, but “an enemy of mankind”? Seriously? That trope again? So he was a Titan or some kind of disease that destroy the human kind? Oh since he’s in […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100