Posted by psgels on 13 March 2014 with categories: Kill La Kill

So, the past week I put my effort into catching up with Kill la Kill, hoping that it at least would show how to tell a story correctly. And yeah, as much as I’d like to stay positive here, it turned out to be yet another hit on the list of the disappointments of the past Fall Season. Not a total disappointment, mind you. Still I’m not gonna recommend this one.

However to offset all of the negative things I’m going to say next, I do have a few positive points: I like that this show doesn’t really have a clear main character anymore. Sure, Ryuko still is really powerful and sortof in the center and all, but it’s not like she got the most attention here. She spent so many episodes out of the loop, to the point where the guys from Nudist Beach and the Elite Four had to push the story forward. Episode 21’s ending also finally brought in some good emotions. Not great, but I did enjoy it. The main villain also has a great theme song, and the side characters are quirky in a way that works.

Is that enough though… let’s start with the thing that you’ll firstly notice about the second half of this series: the OP sucks. I often say OPs suck and all, but let me go into a bit more detail, because this is something I just keep hearing over and over again: THE MELODY IS EXACTLY THE SAME as every other OP out there. The way the opening starts, with the short jingle, then followed by the sound that plays over the main credits: that exact melody gets used in every single OP with only slight variations here and there. After that you have this fast-paced base while we look at the main characters: again you hear that everywhere. After the introductions, the music intensifies again while we see the main characters fighting: yet again something that has been beaten to death. I thought that Kill la Kill meant to set conventions? What’s it doing with so many dead horses here?

The good news is that the new OP IS the worst thing I found about the second half so far, however there were other things that… just did not sit quite right with me. Here is the thing: Satsuki was an interesting villain. She was built up, she stood there, having built up the school, and she had this fun rivalry with Ryuko. On top of that she had some fun underlings which made the first thirteen episodes varied, and fun to watch. In the second half, she is replaced with the main villain of this series, who in all honestly is a really boring villain. She’s just another all-powerful villain who wants to destroy the world, blah blah blah. However, the biggest problem is that she only has one underling. So for like, the past eight episodes we had to watch mostly fights against her and that underling. There’s only so many times that you can show them easily pwning the good guys until it gets boring, especially when all these fights are so one-sided. Every time they’re scratched they just pull these magical life threads out of their asses (or boobs in this case) and they’re completely fine as if nothing happened. Once or twice this is fine, but they just keep doing that.

I know I’ve gotten more cynical, but here’s one thing that also bothered me with especially the past few episodes that’s something that I’ve hated ever since I started this blog: brainwashing. Ryuko is reduced to a mere shell who doesn’t think for herself at all, she’s not responsible for her actions, she is just this big robot who is nearly invincible until she’s saved by rules that are conveniently very loose. And she gets brainwashed twice. And I get that she’s losing control of her emotions and sanity. That was built up. What wasn’t built up is her suddenly becoming the slave of the main villain.

Kill la Kill was fun because it kept us entertained for every episode with over the top action scenes that knew how to be fun and varied, using the backdrop of clothing as their setting and symbolism, but to me it seems like the second half just needed half the episodes, and the characters have been running around naked for a bit too long now, not really knowing what to do. I mean, I did not hate these episodes or something, but I noticed quite a few points at which I was just bored by what was going on… did I really make the right decision to prioritize this series over the new season of Hajime no Ippo?

1. AidanAK47 says:

To be fair you wouldn’t have had a lot to write about with Ippo. It’s pretty much the same story. It’s still good but it would be hard to say something new about it.
    I at least appreciate that the opponent boxers are getting better. There was a point were the other boxers just became too damn stereotypically evil.

2. Pig God says:

Have you given up on Hunter x Hunter?

3. brianwuzhere says:

“I thought that Kill la Kill meant to set conventions?”

Where did you get that idea? Imaishi has never been about originality or innovation. Everything he’s done, thus far, has paid homage to something retro with his usual style over substance formula. TTGL, PSG and KLK are loaded with references and if anything, he is all about conventions: “We thought we’d go all out with the best elements from shonen manga”

Dead Leaves = 80s OVA Birth
    Re: Cutie Honey = Cutie Honey (obviously)
    Gurren Lagann = Mecha anime from the 70s through the 90s
    Panty and Stocking = Powerpuff Girls
    Inferno Cop = Terribad 80s OVAs
    Kill la Kill = Battle shounen

The first ED with Ryuko staring at the wedding dress implied that it was going to happen eventually, so when Satsuki was robbed of her “purity” at the end of ep 18, it was only a matter of time. If nothing else, the brainwashing scene with the juxtaposition of pleasure and borderline rape helped reinforce the 1984, Animal Farm and Macbeth allusions about contradictions in Ragyo’s fascism. On another note, Ippo Rising has turned out about as well as the previous season.

• MysticMad says:

I would say that Kill la Kill is homage to go nagai in general. The moment evil lady gaga showedup cemented that for me. I been getting devil man and cute honey vibes, with a touch just a touch of kekko kamen.

• tamerlane says:

Imaishi didn’t direct FLCL, Inferno Cop, or Re: Cutie Honey. FLCL was Tsurumaki’s beast, and that is abundantly clear if you watch Diebuster. Please don’t incorrectly attribute good anime to bad directors tia.

4. Firechick says:

I was never into Kill la Kill anyway, nor do I have any intention of watching it. It’s not my cup of tea.

5. Mazz says:

1) I can see how seeing Nui every episode can get tiresome if you don’t like her. I personally find her entertaining as hell, especially how she dodges attacks all 2d like and shit. Nui just don’t give a fuck.

2) I agree that Ragyo is a shit villain compared to Satsuki. I can see why people would want to follow Satsuki, whereas I don’t see why one would want to follow Ragyo, besides the fact that she is in total contol of the worlds clothing. Nothing about her character screams out to me, and I honestly don’t understand her motivation to do this all.

3) I’ve never been a big fan of Ryuko, and these last developments didn’t help. She was just too emotional over trivial shit “I didn’t care about my dad, but I get super emotional when I find his killer!” Why? Even someone like Samurai Flamenco, the face of fucking Justice, couldn’t bring himself to care about the person who murdered his parents he never met. Her character just felt forced from the first episode, though I do find her personality to be enjoyable to watch. These latest developments just felt so cliche. Of all the stuff she could be mad about, she is mad about being a life fiber? Who the fuck cares? So far I haven’t like any of the development Ryuko has gotten, but they have all lead to some pretty badass scenes, so thats good I guess.

With all that said, I do still find Kill la Kill to be a breath of fresh air every week, even if it isn’t perfect.

6. Flawfinder says:

Whilst it’s true that Lady Gaga isn’t a very interesting villain (yeah, I never liked the “actual” bad guys in this show either), I think Satsuki became even more interesting after she turned to the good guy side. She has the same traits, but now they’re being challenged in some good ways. Plus, Mako is love. Can’t argue about Ryuuko though. I probably dig her plights more than most people, but yeah it has gotten repetitive. Still, it leads to some awesome scenes that I find heartwarming in their bloodiness. I LOVED the ending to Episode 21 in all its violent carnage. Heehee.

Please don’t give this a lower rank than Gurren Lagann. :(

• Fer says:

Why should it get the same rank when Gurren Lagann did not have most of these issues? Just a rhetorical question.

7. Spike says:

I hear this whiney shit from bloggers every week. You guys simply don’t get it. KLK was never meant to be some unique plot driven story like Evangelion. It was a way to showcase Studio Trigger animation chops, choreography, and off the wall insanity. It succeeds on all 3. The only people disappointed are people looking for something that was never going to be there to begin with – and you need only read the press releases from TRIGGER before the show began to know what you were going to get, a showcase for their talent not Shakespeare writing.

• Mikey says:

“You guys simply don’t get it.”

I despise these words. Anyone who says these words lose all credibility.

And I like Kill la Kill. So clearly you have said something very wrong.

• AidanAK47 says:

Don’t spout that bullshit and tell me it’s gold.
      If Kill la kill was a showcase of animation talent then it’s failed. You may be able to see the talent trigger has but it’s getting killed by a clearly lacking budget. Kill la Kill may be a rare breed that cannot truly be judged by story or characters much like gurren lagann. However it’s is clearly struggling to capture the magic that gurren Laggan had. Therefore when it can’t provide that same thrill it’s deserves all the attack it gets for it’s other elements. Hell, I like Kill la kill but even I cannot really deny anything psgels is saying. Ragyo is a crap villain. Ryoukos little tantrums and switching sides is cringeworthy. Though I like Nui but her battles are too one sided.

My point is dear fellow, that I was looking for the same thing you are looking for and I am not seeing it.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

For animation chops, Trigger’s already proven itself with Little Witch Academia. Rather than pure animation, I’d say Kill la Kill was more of a demonstration of the studio’s talent to create a popular series as a new company and with a limited budget. Which, while not consistently impressive, is likely enough to showcase to investors that you can trust this studio to make good use of the money you’d be throwing at them in the future.

• AidanAK47 says:

I don’t quite argee. Wouldn’t Kill la kill also put off investors because it shows how Trigger can’t manage their animation budget? Give them a huge investment and they might blow it all on the first episode.

• Jalapeno Bagel says:

No offense, but how do you get the exact opposite thought from what I just wrote? Sure, the animation in KlK gets pretty sloppy at times, but it’s not only the company’s first TV series but also a 2-cour series. I think the fact that we’re not seeing just voice-overs on text caps (you know what I’m talking about ;)) is proof enough that even if they had the shittiest budget in the world, Trigger still has a bag of tricks to keep the illusion going while fitting in consistently with the show’s atmosphere.

• AidanAK47 says:

Yeah you are right. I wrote that while tired at work. Not really sure what I was thinking.

• Hogart says:

I hear whiny comments like this all the time, but they’re no defense for a show that’s getting legitimately boring. I should know, I had no lofty expectations going in either, and just wanted something cheesy and entertaining. But even I’m getting bored now with those same low expectations. Perhaps the people who are disappointed have a point, rather than an agenda to condemn TRIGGER for not writing Shakespeare.

• Joe says:

“Animation chops.” Hah!

8. Aline says:

Totally agree about the OP. Especially the first one was awful. Such a shame.

9. Jeevas says:

The only thing I like about Ragyo is her soundtrack.

10. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I’m surprised your reaction to the OP was about the music rather than the animation. As limited as their budget is, the second OP was still disappointing considering it’s an OP, but was almost entirely stand-stills. That moonwalking.

11. Sword Testing Cliff says:

Yo, you don’t have to “balance positive with negative parts of what you think” most of yoru fans some here because they are inetereted in yoru opinion, youro non watered down by what other people may say about it opinion. Even thouh there are time when I don’t agree with you (like that silly nobunaga in space with stupid historical figures and every Japanese man’s wet dream happening on screen) I’d still rather see you voice them than censor yoruself because someone may disagree with you. Criticism is GOOD. it can really bring points to the front that some people have never thoght about or couldn’t articulate. if you want to praize or criticize a show, you should be able to do that 100% without feeling like you have to please your viewers.

Hell, there were shows that I LIKED that after reading your criticicms Taught me stuff that I never thought of!

If peolpe dont like what you say and go all Mentar on you…let them go jump off a cliff…into the baron pit.

12. m says:

I’ve found Kill la Kill to be much better than I expected it to be, since I think TTGL is a steaming pile of shit and it’s certainly its cousin. It’s basically a childish magical girl series with the level of zaniness you can expect from that strain of Gainax’s catalog. This includes repeated encounters with a somewhat clownish, but always just out of reach villain that is core to, say, the formula of a Precure series.

I actually think I like the later parts of the series more than the earlier parts, where the obvious training arc being run on Ryuuko by Satsuki was starting to try my patience. Even if it’s thin plot, I like plot.

• DangerMouse says:

I think they ended her training just early enough before it got to be trying but I agree I never really saw Satsuki as the actual villain and saw it forming relatively early what Satsuki was really doing with Ryuuko, and ofcourse even moreso especially as her subordinates started getting flashbacks making them even more sympathetic and likely to be good guys. So I think it’s a bit of an odd complaint complaining that Satsuki was replaced as the villain in the second half.

I really liked how they actually pulled through on that arc since Satsuki was pretty cool through the first half and didn’t give her a fake out reason for doing it, even if Ragyou is not as charismatic of a villain as Satsuki would have been for obvious reasons.

I’ve been quite enjoying the show and it’s characters.

13. Chan says:

The problem I have with this review is really the fact that a lot of psgels complaints don’t make any sense, because it seems less

Psgels claims that KLK was supposed to break conventions, but the show never made such a promise, in fact its been paying homages to older anime for a while now and it kind of says a lot about your observation skills that you’re just now noticing it.

Also the format of the series should have made you realize that the good guys weren’t going to win, if they did then the series would be over. But its not as though the heroes were held back all that much considering the amount of contingency plans they had. Also even though they didn’t they didn’t lose either as they still stopped a good portion the people in the city from getting eaten, which if Ragyo had won would have happened, and they still protected their main weapons which would have been destroyed if Satsuki had won.

Also Ragyo doesn’t really want to destroy the world, she just wants to feed the humans to the life fibers, big difference. Also Ryuko being brainwashed, the first time, I don’t think it can count since that barely even lasted for a minute (its so short that you sound like a nitpicker for complaining about that) and the second time is explainable if you paid attention to the earlier episodes and only really lasted one episode.

• Johnyliltoe says:

I think you’re missing the concept of conventions. KLK pays homage to older shows that had a certain charm to them. Shows that, at the time, were conventional; however, times have changed and new conventions have arisen.

Psgels doesn’t claim the KLK was going to tread new territory, just that it was going to break conventions. Specifically modern conventions because it would be beyond unreasonable to expect a show to break all conventions that have ever been in place.

The problem is that the second half has fallen into modern cliches. It feels less and less like a homage to the classics with each episode.

• brianwuzhere says:

Sure, there was the revival of the evil student council trope and the unapologetic Go Nagai style fanservice, but it wasn’t devoid of modern cliches like the Power of Friendship, introduced as early as episode 2. As for the second half, it’s pretty much lifted from the almost 20-year old Evangelion: the neglectful parent, the NERV/REVOCS comparisons, the alien invasion that leads to collectivism, the villain manipulating the MC to believe in this false happiness and the MC finally coming to grips with who he/she is.

14. Melvon says:

Kill la kill is good but you should be reviewing samurai and golden time instead of wasting your powers with kill la kill, it is true that sf has fallen greatly but I’m very sure that your lack of motivation is due to kill la kill, it tries too hard only to let you down.

• Avalon says:

Can’t say I agree with you here. While KLK may try hard and is definitely not for everyone it mostly manages to stay entertaining, those other two (of which I am still watching) are VERY hit and miss with their entertainment. Whether you like it or not, KLK has a story it really wants to tell and I do not feel that desire from the other two. Golden Time has/had potential, but too many episodes has hurt it. If only it could have been a season and a half long or something. Too many boring things thrown among a few interesting story segments.

15. Simonette says:

You are clearly an idiot.

16. Mecha says:

It’s interesting to see how this debate is going.
    Personally, I just watch the anime simply because I feel entertaint by it and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Whether it has bone-breaking flaws I leave that to others who are far better in judging those things than me.

I got what I wanted to see and I’m satisfied thus far

17. petran79 says:

regarding narrative, Kill la Kill is perhaps even closer to the older series than both TTGL and PSG.

it is also the only one that remains faithful to its original style till the end.

the limited animation is a reference to the manga scenes older anime used to insert and re-design, so as to convey the characters feelings. eg Dezaki’s/Sugino’s TV series.

Only few of those traits survived in the newer series, like twitching eyes and beads of sweat on the face

Overall, this series manages to be so light and enjoyable like the older series. but this is also something very difficult to achieve.

A series not for everybody, but one has to recognize its worth.

ps: take a break from Hajimme no Ippo and start Ashita no Joe 1&2.

18. Adomzzz says:

I think your newly developed cynicism is stopping you from enjoying a series which yes is flawed, but very entertaining. Why are you focusing so much of your time and criticism on an OP? It has nothing to do with the actual show and personally I just skip over the OP after watching it once, whether I like it or not. I agree that Ragyo is a very bland villain, but I think the style that encompasses her sort of makes up for her lack of depth. While Ryuko and Satsuki have mainly been fighting against Nui, these fights are still varied and entertaining in my opinion.

You can’t look at Kill La Kill and expect it to do what Kaiba did, or any other unconventional show. I think Kill La Kill is serving its purpose as an entertaining homage to all powerful anime of the past and being fun, stylish, and a blast to watch while doing it.

• tamerlane says:

…except Kill la Kill isn’t all that entertaining? The deflection that “it’s only stylish, crazy fun” is pretty weak since a show attempting to meet those requirements can still fail. The action in KLK is poorly choreographed, the layouts are generic, the humor is lame, the soundtrack is unbearable…how are people getting hyped about this? Is it because anime fans are easy victims to hype and have low standards? (Yes)

This isn’t an issue of Kill la Kill lacking depth, although I’d argue the show’s creators intended for the show to be deeper than its defenders are giving credit for. It’s that Kill la Kill is bad at what it does. When the show is no longer airing, and people are watching it for the first time without the week-long gaps, the low quality of the series will be even more apparent.

• Avalon says:

Wow, toot your own horn why don’t you. Half of those points you mentioned are completely your opinion such as humor and soundtrack. If we’re talking about low standards then I can direct you to the many harem/ecchi series of the past year. While you didn’t say it directly, it can be perceived that you honestly believe KLK is no better than those. I don’t care whether it fits your taste or not, someone who has watched enough anime can tell a show that deserves some credit from the trash whether it fits your personal taste or not. KLK deserves some credit. If you can’t tell then you have no right to criticize it.

Psgels new attitude is refreshing, but he is going too far with it. It seems the only thing that will satisfy him now are those super amazing anime we get like twice a year if that. Anime with the quality of Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy to name a couple. All I can say is good luck with that psgels.

Anime are meant to be enjoyed. It seems now psgels watches an anime purely to figure out what it is doing wrong and why it fails. How about you try to enjoy it. Every anime has some flaws. Of course KLK has flaws, but you sound like you are just trying to bash it.

“Still I’m not gonna recommend this one.” Honestly? A few issues you have with the second half (after greatly enjoying the first half I might add) and suddenly it isn’t worth anything. Have fun with your perfect standards.

• psgels psgels says:

Sorry Avalon, but this is the prime example of what a bad comment is like. Why? You basically tell me how I should watch a series, and that my opinion is invalid.

The thing with Kill la Kill is that I was trying to enjoy it, but I found my interest in it progressively waning. In the same way that so many other series did for the past year, so of course I would be pissed off.

I’m not asking for much. Just a solid plotline and characters that take their audiences seriously. In the past there were plenty of series like that.

• Avalon says:

Yea, I started ranting in that comment and I apologize for that.

I just think that dismissing a show so quickly after enjoying it so much before is a little too much. I liked hearing your opinions when you were enjoying things a lot more so now that your attitude has evolved, I went off on you. Sorry.

In regards to tamerlane’s comment, I still feel he was just stating his opinions like they were fact, which is what riled me up in the first place.

• tamerlane says:

lol. you can say my points are “completely my opinion” but they are backed up by sound observations. like how sawano’s emotionless bombast is more fitting of WWI trenches than an anime soundtrack, or how every imaishi show isn’t far removed from newgrounds flash cartoons in terms of visual wit and humor. The “it’s all subjective opinion” shtick is the peak of intellectual laziness.

I’ve watched tons of anime, including the stuff KLK is “homaging”/ripping off. If you’re going to set harem/ecchi shows as the baseline then yeah I guess KLK isn’t as bad as those. KLK is really bad tho, and because it’s the kind of bad that results from a failed aesthetic enterprise rather than a complete lack of artistry a la ecchi shows, it offends me more. So, no, KLK deserves no credit just because it tried and failed to be a good anime.

• Avalon says:

I’ve already painted myself the bad guy here so I have no desire to make it worse. I just don’t agree that KLK has failed as bad as you say it has. We’ll have to agree to disagree since neither of us is changing our views anytime soon. For example I still think the humor and soundtrack have some good points.

I’ll say it again, KLK is not perfect and I know it, but it is still better than most of the stuff that has come out the last couple seasons.

Just for the record, one of my main gripes about the anime is Ryuko being such a back and forth character. I wish she could be as developed as Satsuki who knows exactly what she wants and will do anything to get it. I also really enjoy the Elite Four. Though you probably have issues with all of them as well.

• psgels psgels says:

I also disagree with you using the word “bad” here, because to me it sounds so definitive. I wouldn’t call Kill la Kill “bad” as a show at all. Perhaps it has some bad elements, but it’s still better than the average anime out there and has its entertaining moments.

The way I see the series is that it’s “not good enough”, which is the reason why I don’t recommend it.

• tamerlane says:

@Avalon: I have no problem painting myself as the bad guy if it means higher quality discussion. You think the humor and soundtrack have good points. What are they? This isn’t a leading question, but something to start a discussion with. ‘Agreeing to disagree’ means avoiding having to think and back up your opinions. At which point, why even talk about our opinions at all?

@psgels: I don’t think we should be afraid to use “bad” definitively. I mean, the existence of other worse anime doesn’t negate KLK’s overwhelming problems. If you don’t watch those ultrabad anime at all, like I don’t, then maybe KLK’s badness will become more apparent. In any case, I enjoyed your post.

• Avalon says:

I’ll never understand why I have to hit reply four comments from the bottom, but whatever.

Anyway, you are talking about being a bad guy that fights for his opinions, I am talking about a bad guy that attacks the other person for having different opinions. That is what I did and I want to avoid doing it again.

I’m not going to lie, I’m not sure how to describe what I like about the soundtrack. The best I can do is say I like how there is quite a variety between the types of music. Such as the haunting melody of Harime Nui’s theme against the rock of Gamagoori’s theme. Also that theme that used to play when Ragyou came on screen. I guess I like how each character’s theme actually fits them instead of just forcing a theme on a character. At least they work for me.

The humor is more hit and miss I won’t deny. For example, Mako’s family isn’t as funny and is overused a bit. My favorite comedy pretty much revolves around the banter of the elite four with pretty much anyone else.

You mention KLK has “overwhelming problems” and I think you are blowing them out of proportion. The good far outweighs the bad imo. Even with the issues, this anime doesn’t fail to entertain.

• tamerlane says:

@Avalon:

What you’re describing about the soundtrack has more to do with the sound direction than anything. I agree, the sound directors have made the best of a bad situation by not letting any individual track of Sawano’s blegh OST last too long. However the OST itself, when listened outside the show, is horrible.

19. mulligan says:

I enjoyed this show far more than I initially thought I would. It had traits that in the hands of a lesser writer and director the show would have gone sideways much earlier in the series. Instead it just grew and grew on me. Still haven’t figured out exactly how they managed to do it all but this is a great great start for trigger.

20. HunterWulf says:

Wow, so many unrealistically lofty expectations, high horses and pointless bashing … it’s so sad anime fans these days are either brainless fan-service junkies that live off the drivel harem and fanservice/incest/loli shows that air in a dozen every season (the type of people you find on Sankaku Complex in the comments section) .. or mightier-than-thou fans spouting crap about how everyone has low standards and expecting every show to be flawless masterpiece that meets everything in their lofty unrealistically ideal checklist of what an anime should be like .. get off your high horses and you might enjoy a show like KLK for what it is, other wise i advice you to simply move on and stop wasting your time and the time of everyone else who enjoys the show for what it is.

Kill la kill is surely not for everyone, i can totally understand if you watched the first episode (or first couple of episodes) and then went like “meh, it’s not my thing”, but the thing is .. we are near the end of the series and if you start complaining now you clearly haven’t been paying attention and built unrealistic expectation that has nothing to do with the original intentions of the show makers .. for example .. KLK sure does break some conventions .. but it ALSO is paying homage to a lot of older shonen and magical girl shows (and i facepalm really hard when stuck up idiots can’t tell the difference between paying homage and ripping off), NOTHING .. and i say it again NOTHING says that it can’t do both .. just becasue that doesn’t meet your lofty checklist doesn’t mean it can’t be done .. prime example is when they broke the recap episode trope (ep 15) by doing a rapid montage and then moving on to the 2nd half of the series .. that’s breaking a stupid convention that needs to be broken and doesn’t affect the “homage” they are aiming for … on the other hand .. they don’t need to break useful tropes like the “Magical girl transformation” or the “big bad villain” convention because it’s in direct relation to the stuff they are trying to homage .. they did add their spin on the magical girl transformation to fit their living clothes theme and they did offer us Satsuki as an interesting villain in the first half .. but like with many other similar shows the early villains/rivals become allies and we move on to facing the ultimate end game villain who is usually meant to be an immense evil force (kinda like a force of nature .. a volcano, a tornado .. even zombies), those villains aren’t meant to have deep complicated personalities, they are just meant to give our heroes an almost impossible obstacle to overcome for our viewing pleasure .. and they stuck with that trope becasue it serves their goals.

And by god, what is all that about the OP and soundtrack !!!!, they are doing their intended role fantastically, it’s Hiroyuki Sawano the composer of Attack on Titan sound track and he delivers, the tracks work damn fine on their own as they do work in the series blood pumping homage and crazy filled fight scenes, the outfits switching scenes from the OP are really brilliant as they tie in with the magical-girl and clothes themes .. etc etc

Criticizing Kill la Kill is a waste of time becasue it’s not meant to be that type of series, it’s either hate it or love it type .. you either sit-back and enjoy the show for all the references, trope-breaking antics, over-the-top craziness, slap-stick humor and shameless but self-aware fan-service or you just don’t watch it at all .. anything in the middle is a pure waste of time and cringe worthy .. KLK is a mess, it’s a ton of different things, it’s not perfect it’s not ideal nor is it the next evolution of anime …
    it’s a fun ride that’s meant to viewed the way it is .. criticism or over-analysis is a pointless waste of time with this type of series.

Take it or leave it.

I’m off to green pastures where there are anime-fans who know how to have fun and enjoy something for what it’s worth, the cynicism levels here are becoming intoxicating.

• tamerlane says:

i really hope this post was directed at me

• HunterWulf says:

Frankly i had that intention at the start of writing my comment, but then i realized i’m pissed by the entire overtly cynical atmosphere that’s starting to permeate the blog here more than any one specific person (psgels included), so don’t take it personally.

It’s quite sad that it has come to this but i really don’t feel like following this blog like i used to before, i owe it a lot introducing me to a lot of excellent anime i probably would have never seen otherwise, but the overtly cynical and negative way things are going makes it frustrating to hang around or read any of the reviews or comments (not just Psgels but everyone regularly commenting here), i do understand some people wanting to have a higher quality threshold to only watch the best of the best anime due to time constraints or other reasons, but when this attitude starts going overboard it turns into nit-picking, bashing and mightier-than-thou antics all which i can’t stand.

I suppose i will be getting my anime blog needs else-where with a more positive outlook on things, i know most of you don’t even know me (i lurk around a lot but comment quite rarely) but i want to say it used to be nice being around here so see you around guys and thanks Psgels for all the effort you put in this blog.

• tamerlane says:

sounds like you have some growing up to do. high standards are never a bad thing and should be encouraged. frankly i don’t think anyone is going to miss your absence, given the entitled attitude you have in these posts

i just saw that psgels reviewed & liked Zettai Shounen, which means he has my support+respect. your loss is his gain, basically

• HunterWulf says:

The very fact you are trying to make this personal is proof enough of who has some growing up to do, and you have no right to speak for anyone .. so please speak for yourself .. your precious high standards can become pretentiousness and mightier-than-though crap very very easily.

And since you made it personal .. well let me say that people like you are why this place has become suffocating, and what the heck does Zettai Shonen has to do with anything, sigh .. i’m just wasting my time here, enjoy your intoxicating atmosphere as much as you want .. bye.

• tamerlane says:

lol you say you quit this blog twice but you keep posting

i brought up zettai shonen since b/c of blog posts like this, i was compelled to look into psgels’s previous entries. basically by adopting higher standards he got me, a good poster, to start looking into his blog while you were alienated and had a hissy fit. more proof that having higher standards in the anime community can only be beneficial

21. Blade says:

Really? The second OP is a much better song that fits the more dramatic tone of the show much better. I thought the first one felt generic as hell.

22. Yunan says:

I don’t agree – I think Kill la Kill is exciting and I love the opening credits. I do agree that the fights between Ragyo and Nui did get dull though, or at least until the fight where Nui lost her arms!

23. Yeah, well I enjoy Kill la Kill for what it is. I watched every episode at least 3-4 times without the novelty wearing out. And I bet that if I was to pick this up months from now, I will still enjoy it.

Then again, some people seem to mistake/misunderstand ‘cynicism’ as ‘constructive criticism’.

24. I didn’t read any of this post, but I’m pretty sure that you’re wrong about everything you say in it. You are a blowhard and an ignoramus.

But I'm at least thankful to be getting a non 12s/pg action film.
I remember the church scene in the first one.
Still wish the action scenes didn't have that modern editting though.
I took too long to get Colin Firth back into the story too.
Though the idea of Colin Firth of all actors being in a film like this is amusing in itself.
I also saw the new kingsman recently, when it focuses on the action its almost up there with the first film, I liked Julianne Moore's villain better than Sam Jacksons and wanted her to have more screentime, the Elton John running joke kind of grew on me. It was overall funny without being hilarious. but theres a whole chunk in the middle of the film I'd have cut
Seen Kingsman 2. I think the critics are being too harsh with this one as the movies fine. Difinitely not as good as the first flim and far too long a running time but it has its fun points.
@Lenlo, Oh you must be jokin...oh god it's real. No Shingo Natsume either. Yep looks like the second season is going to be a major visual downgrade.
Hmm, so One Punch Man is getting a 2nd Season, but its being made by JC Staff instead of Madhouse.
A question: Do we need to watch Mahoutsukai no Yome OVAs before watching its first episode?
@Amagi: they better have a second season. The way it ends now I don't even have any motivation to write a full review. I'm not really optimistic over it having a second cour because if the producers were confident about its chance, they would've greenlit it already.
@SuperMario: Seems like the official radio confirmed PriPri might get a second season if the BD and/or game sales are good enough. - BD sales seem to be around 7k at the moment, but it looks like many only ordered them now, after the last episode, so it might be more.
@Aidan. Oh I did. Thank you for reminding me. I will write the review.
@Travlos, Just in case you missed it, there is a reply to you earlier in the chatbox.
Kakeguiri also ended. In the end the anime original ending was not really an ending, but just a fan pleasing excursion. The integrity of the manga story remains. It was a good adaption, and I liked it as it brought to life the parts of the manga that make it interesting to me. Also a great Opening and Ending. Good show.
And to sum it up. I think this was a great series. All its episodes were good.
I actually am ok with the PP ending. The 12 episode series is self contained. Sure there are many future potential stories to pursue, but I felt there was enough closure to make the series a good series. This is because the next step of the narrative is really so long term as being more LOGH material than PP (the story of the ascension of Princesss to the throne, and then the story of her reforms)
Alright, I found the read more tag. Now my tendency to write more than I should will be contained.
@Mario, Got to play catch-up but I am guessing it was very much a non ending?
Gosh, is that how Princess Principal end?
@KAiser: I really have a mixed feeling watching Assayas's films. I always find his works toe touch into pretentious area. Still have much more films from him I want to watch though so that opinion might change
@Kaiser: As Tears go By surprised me a little considering how straightforward it is. It's Wong's most by the book HK romance but it was one of his most commercial success. After this, the studio allowed him to do things he like and that was when he gone banana with his styles
not a fan. Can't even tell the difference between turtle and tortoise
Anonymous1420257
i like turtles
@Mario: I hadn't expected some of the dry/dark humour in sils Maria, I liked the themes/aging angst and its comments on hollywood in parts even if it needed to go a bit deeper. Stewart is a revelation in it. That X-men parody scene was fucking funny lol
@Mario: I actually kind of liked As tears go by. Mostly because of my experiences with hong-kong action flicks, much as I like John Woos films, the melodrama he tries to sell between the action never worked for me and left me just waiting around for the action to come round again. Wong was able to put genuine emotion into the hong-kong action film with this one.
@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.

Kakegurui – 12[Gambling Woman]

It’s been awhile since I seen an anime original ending and honestly I was rather dreading it when I started this episode. Anime original endings don’t have a good track record as of course attempting to tack on an abrupt conclusion to an ongoing story is not going to turn out swimmingly. Even if I […]

Made in Abyss – 12[The True Nature of the Curse]

Today’s topic is the curse of the abyss alongside much needed revenge against the creature that put Riko in a bad spot. We get a rare glimpse of the topside village where one of the orphan kids we saw previously is deathly sick on his birthday. This caught me off guard as I believe I […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 13 [Katsugeki]

Welcome to the final week of Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, where the plot is rushed and the art is at its best. Lets jump in. Ranbu opens this week with the title card, skipping the OP. Looks like they want all the time they can get. Picking up where they left off, Ranbu has Horikawa go and […]

Princess Principal – 12 [Case 24 Fall of the Wall]

Is that seriously how they end Princess Principal? Nothing is resolved at all except Ange breaks down the wall around her heart to welcome her team to the Casablanca’s paradise. Everything screams “second season” and with the sales aren’t that impressive from what I gathered, will they ever get one? It comes hard for me […]

18if – 12 [The Witch Wars]

Let me just say, I’m all in favor for 18if having a proper closure, but I’m wholly disappointed with what happening right now. This episode is just all over the place. For instance, I’m just as glad as the next person to see all the Witches gathering back in real life to help Haruto, but […]

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100