Posted by psgels on 11 April 2014 with categories: Random Posts

Well, the only shows that are still set to air are that cats and dogs show and that one Shaft series, but all of the shows I cared about have aired. Here’s a quick spoiler-free overview of the series that I’m going to try and follow, and think have it in them to keep watching in order of preference:

Baby Steps: Very knowledgeable, but it still needs to deliver on the emotional level.

One Week Friends: I’m a bit on the fence on this one, but it has the potential to be really heart-warming.

Knights of Sidonia: Dystopian sci-fi that has an actually good atmosphere. Note that you need to be able to stomach 3D CG to watch this.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Lots of magic this season, but this show did it actually well by putting restrictions on its magic. Beyond that it’s got very good characters and a setting that has quite some potential for an epic yet grounded storyline.

Captain Earth: This show sets itself apart in the writing with lots of references back and forth to keep it interesting and fun. Because of that there is also a lot of potential in the characters.

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Not a moment of boredom or waste. Huge heaps of fun returning and the third season looks as strong as the others.

Ping Pong: Awesome animation, but also really well acted characters who are different, yet very fun to watch. Also Masaaki Yuasa took some cues from Osamu Dezaki.

Mushishi: Fantastic return. A truly relaxing and authentic show with deep and intelligent storylines and characters. The best of the best.

These are the series I’ll be looking out for. I have no idea how I’ll cover that in this blog, that’s going to be a matter entirely dependent on how I feel. I’ll try to at least cover Mushishi though. It deserves it.

So what are your favorites of the season after just one episode?

1. JaK says:

can only find time for 2 animes on weekly basis mahouka and mushishi it is then everything else will marathon when they end

2. K-Off says:

I am terminally confused as for what potential Psgels saw in Captain earth. Did he ignore the rushed story, horrible exposition, and the generic characters and villains? Not to mention how the main character knew how to pilot a gurren lagen sized mech without instructions… Please tell me I am wrong believing this :/

• JaK says:

ignore it bro :D iam sure if you have been reading this blog for a long time you will know that like many reviewers he is incredibly biased about somethings but will sometimes praise something just cause it has atmosphere :P still its fun to read his opinions sometimes no matter how off the mark they are

• psgels psgels says:

Of course I’m biased. I like what I like. But you say it in such a way that suggests that you do not have some sort of bias. And that is doing both you and me a bit of a disservice.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Yo Psgels, I don’t think you should respond to, or even bother to look in the comments section anymore. Instead just blog what you like and if people don’t like it, they can go jump in a lake. The anime community has gotten worse as of late, Its like not mater what you like, or don’t like (especially that) people are goin gto be assholes to you instead of having an actual discussion like adults. So it would just be better if you’d just blog and not bother with the comment section anymore. Yes some people maybe say “it’s only a few bad apples” But really, a few bad apples DO spoil the bunch. I think ignoring the comment section would also make blogging easier for you as I’m pretty sure you havet slowed your blogging down a lot for these reasons and balancing real life issues. I’m sure after you get off work and blog a bit seeing some jerk ward being a jerk on the internet – because he can makes you think “yeah…fuck it.” Especailly after the last incident with that Mentar dude.

You really don’t need to humor your readers, we read because we like your insights on different shows also because you blog shows that others don’t. . .shows that aren’t in the main stream of moe blobs and useless male main characters in some sort of silly high school setting every season.

But yeah, if people don’t like what you like and want to bash you about them, ignore ’em you have work life and blogging and other life stuff to balance.

• Joe says:

Captain Earth’s first episode was very typical, but the presentation was good. The first episode was rushed, but that’s a good thing I think because it got the generic beginning chunk of every mecha series out of the way quickly. I disagree on the characters being generic. The lead character and his childhood friend were pretty good, at least. Besides, this is by the people who made Star Driver, so it’s unlikely to be bad.

• Joe says:

Well, I meant that I liked other aspects of the presentation such as the flashbacks and the way the show is implying things rather than spoonfeeding us everything. Well, so far, at least. The introduction wasn’t skipped, it was just covered quickly. And I think what it covered was done well. The pace was fast, but I like it that way.

• cladinblue says:

I agree with Joe in terms of it just implying a lot things rather than skipping it entirely. I think at least many of those will be explored more throughout the series’ run, rather than ending with just the snippets showed in episode 1. I think that’s what psgels was referring to as referencing back and forth.

• Joe says:

Yes, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Much better than shows like Kill la Kill where one fight scene takes two episodes.

• Hogart says:

You might as well ask what he sees in Chaika, for that matter? Sometimes you just feel like watching something that’s borderline, and Captian Earth will end up on some people’s shortlists. I’d imagine it’s one of the ones he’s liable to drop first.

For my part I’d say Captain Earth was a mess, but had a a bit of a Eureka Seven feel to it that interested me… right up until the episode 2 preview. It seems capable of good storytelling, but also quite content to remain lazy. The kind of show where you might watch a few episodes in the hopes that it improves.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

Captain Earth was exceptionally well paced, both last week and this week. You don’t need your hand held and everything explained in the first episode.

In fact it seems to be the anti-Evangelion, explaining just enough and assuming that the protagonist and his friends are not going to stay pawns or victims, and that you can fight against institutionalized injustice while still defending Earth. Even if the villains won’t make it easy for you.

3. Emma says:

For me its looking like I am sticking with Chaika and ping pong for sure, but I’m unsure about nanana but thats it for me this season.

4. Vawn says:

Ping Pong, Mushishi, and JoJo are by far my favorites of this season.

5. bakanishi says:

hope One Week Friends will get better!

6. bravejaf says:

I will probably go with Chaika after one episode. One Week Friends and Baby Steps also had great first episodes.

7. Hogart says:

This is basically my shortlist too, psgels. Though I’ll probably watch a few more other anime for a bit, because Chaika, Baby Steps and Captain Earth seem like they could be replaced by others if those improve while these falter.

8. starry says:

I’m following Jojo, Mushishi, Captain Earth, and Ping Pong as well. On the fence about Mekaku City Actors, hasn’t aired yet so there isn’t much to judge but if I get too busy it’ll probably be the first to go. I like my four picks though, they’re all strong and solid before (and Mushishi is practically a masterpiece with the bonus of the second season being just as strong as the first despite the long wait). The others didn’t really catch my eye or interest me and I’m already satisfied with my choices.

9. Bam says:

Good choices.

10. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

I’m disappointed that you have chosen not to blog WIXOSS not because I think you underrated what looks to me like a promising show, but because I was looking forward to possibly seeing your thoughts on it. I can only hope that, if it ends up being as good of a show as I think it has the potential to be, you’ll make the decision to watch it for fun, without feeling the need to blog about it.

11. nevon says:

It’s my first post here. These are the ones I will watch:

Baby Steps: because I loved the manga (even thought the anime version is quite ugly). Gokukoku no Brynhildr: I read some chapters from the manga and I liked it, but the adaptation was not that good. I hope that it will change. Hitsugi no Chaika: It wasn’t anything special, but it was lovely fantasy which felt very nostalgic for me (in 2007-2009 there was a lot more of its kind, I always had a fantasy anime to watch, but now it’s a lot less). JoJo2: It should not be missed, the first 2 episodes is fantastic. However, the opening is not as good as in the first season. Mushishi 2: It was so long since the first season, I hardly remeber it anymore, but I know that I liked it. And the second season started really strongly. As a huge Natsume fan, I really love it so far. Sidonia no Kishi: I loved the atmosphere and the world of the anime. Soredemo Sekai: Another fantasy. I really like the main heroine and her voice, and I liked the first anime original episode which further introduced us to the world of the anime. Kindaichi R: As a Conan fan, I really waited for this anime. The first case is still ongoing, but I like it so far. Not as good as Conan (I know that, because I watched about 20 episodes of the old anime), but it is among the best. And I’m still on the fence about Isshuukan Friends.

12. Gan_HOPE326 says:

I’ll watch for sure Jojo, Baby Steps and One Week Friends. The World is Beautiful, Captain Earth and No Game No Life are second-tier. Ping Pong and Mushishi I’ll keep for when they’re completed probably, especially Mushishi as I haven’t seen season 1 yet.
    Selector: Infected WIXOSS wins the dubious honour of being the first show I dropped this season, right in the middle of episode 2, out of sheer boredom.

13. O.Nunes says:

Did you forget to watch Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou psgels? :o

14. Joe says:

Are you going to be watching Madoka Rebellion?

15. Litho says:

Only Mushishi and Ping Pong for me.

Big fan of Nihei, but I think I’ll stick with the manga for Sidonia. Might give Captain Earth a watch, just to see what everyone’s bickering about.

16. Aegd says:

Knights of Sidonia could have been good, if it wasn’t for the characters looking like lifeless zombies. Stiff animations, no facial-expression, half the characters being copy-paste of the others. I couldn’t stomach it. It would have been fine if they just had gone 2d with the characters and 3d with the rest.

• Oroboros says:

Knights of Sidonia seems like the only show I’ll be watching this season. For all the reasons PSGELS listed.

Aegd:
      Agreed on the lazy CGI use, especially in the extreme close-up shots, and duplicate characters. Yes, I get that they’re supposed to be clones, but that’s a lazy trope to excuse re-using cgi renders.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros: Glad to hear you looked into sidonia, I recall you also read blame and biomega which I recommended to you? What is your take, comparing Sidonia with both those series?

• Oroboros says:

Hi Emma :-D

I haven’t read BIOMEGA, to my eternal shame, but I did read several volumes of BLAME! (is that still on going?)

and fell in love with its minimalist nature. I think I lost my place when I updated my browser, so I’ll have to dig around one day.

It’s hard to compare the two stories, largely because I only watched one episode of Knights of Sidonia, but both properties share in a similar mood of fatalism or the like.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros:Aye, blame is finished , same with biomega.
            I’m three volumes into sidonia right now, theres a fair bit to like but I miss the roughness, same strength athmosphere, sidonia is mainstreamish in comparison to his indie-ish work and thats a bit of a throw off for me.

• quintilius says:

Sidonia is a great example of something the Japanese can do that the west just doesnt – cold, quiet, lifeless, stark SF. (It’s why they can do so much with horror – and why western film studios grab it and paste that terror into often gorier and dumbed down versions).

This show is spectacular. If you’ve read Tsutomu Nihei’s earlier works – Biomega or Blame (the art is just amazing), you know that sort of quiet surreal style that would translate terribly to film. Whole chapters go without a single word. I never thought they’d try to put any of his stuff to film – but if they were going to do it with one Sidonia was going to be it.

The art fits the style and tone of the book perfectly. Doing this story with Kyoani would be an abomination. The stark colors, the clones, the general creepiness of everything… that’s just not ‘accessible’ to a lot of people. The closest many get to it would be something like Mardock or Titan – shows that can be ‘a little off’ but still bright and colorful with explosions… This one is Ridley Scott – not Michael Bay – and that just turns most people off on either side of the Pacific.

17. Jay says:

Out of the series I’ve seen so far, the ones I’m going to watch this season are Jojo, Mushishi, Akuma no Riddle, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, Captain Earth, Selector Infected WIXOSS, and Kamigami no Asobi. Jojo and Mushishi are for the obvious reasons, and I’m certain I won’t drop them. Akuma no Riddle I’m watching because it’s atmospheric, it flows well, and it could shape up to be pretty good. Soredemo Sekai has potential but I just hope that it won’t get more fanservicey padding. Captain Earth has all the elements to be good but it remains to be seen if it can follow through. WIXOSS is actually decent so far (your review worried me; I thought from it that the person with the incestuous crush would be the main character, and I was very happy to find out it was actually someone else!). And Kamigami no Asobi is very sparkly and silly.

18. chiita says:

Knights of Sidonia, Isshukan Friends, and Mekakucity Actors. I was kind of surprised you decided not to watch Mekakucity Actors, though. The art is gorgeous and distinctive. I decided to drop WIXOSS even before I watched it, lol. And I am kinda having mixed feelings about Nanana’s Buried Treasure (if it wasn’t because the fanservice and the pervert main char!) so I am not sure if I want to watch this series or not (it’s such a waste, it has such a great premise though, but where is the noitaminA spirit?!). Hitsugi no Chaika sure is good, but not really my cup of tea. Captain Earth delivered such a promising start, but I like Sidonia better (because of SF ambience >_<), but let's see what will happen next.

19. rawr says:

Not Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii? Well I can understand. I never thought they’d adapt it though it is a nice read.

I believe if anything is going to revitalize the shoujo adventure genre I love so much, it might be Akatsuki no Yona and maybe Choukakou.
    Are you still reading manga? You should check these two out! The characters and development is phenomenal, and carries the same feelings I had when I watched Twelve Kingdoms & Saiunkoku Monogatari. I especially love Yona. :P

20. maize hughes says:

Hi psgels!
    I’ve got a good gut feeling about:
    Baby Steps, and Hitsugi no Chaika. I have a hunch they will be very well written shows, episode after episode. I also believe I will probably never come to love them.

I’m really interested in:
    Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, since the female lead has an enormous amount of personality, and they spent some effort and time animating her powers. I’m mildly concerned that the script will be uneven.

I’m charmed by:
    Nanana’s Buried Treasure, because it just seems fun. Taking the ‘pervy male lead gets punished’ trope and turning it in to something he does to himself struck me as the ultimate deconstruction. Also, Nanana’s character design/animation is cute. Based on the next episode preview, and the OP/ED, I have real concerns about the rest of the cast, and the rest of the plot.

I’m horrified and intrigued by:
    Kanojo ga Flag wo Orareta. I predict I’ll tune in week after week, just to see what crazy thing will happen next. I like the comedy aspect.

I’ve dropped:
    More shows than any other season. Just an amazing number. Even shows I would have otherwise grudgingly watched. I think the industry is going to discover exactly how many medium-quality shows the fans are willing to support. They’ve finally out-produced what I’m willing to watch. I’ve even decided not to pick up Mushishi, but that’s because I know it will be great, even if I watch it later.

• JaK says:

you’ll be surprised bro, as most anime is directed at jap audience not “us” light novels and manga’s don’t get adapted on a whim they get adapted since they already have a huge fanbase

21. Dr. Pest says:

@psgels: Have you seen Mekakucity and Rowdy Sumo Matsutaro? I didn’t see you mention them but I found Matsutarou funny as hell and it’s very different from the usual anime nowadays. My other two favorite first episodes would be Captain Earth and Sidonia no Kishi I think. I have at least 6 series I already love very much though (including Jojo and Mushishi of course).

22. Lima says:

I’m actually following a ton of shows. Am I the only one who really likes this season? Soredemo Sekai Wa Utsukushii, Knights of Sidonia and Mekakucity Actors are the things I’ll be looking forward to the most. Speaking of the latter, aren’t you even going to give your first impressions? At least check out the first episode, haha!

23. Joe says:

I liked the anime so I’ve been reading the Brynhildr manga and it’s actually pretty great. I’m about 16 chapters in. Psgels, you judged this show too quickly. The MC acts intelligently and the relationship between the main character and Kuroha is great.

• Joe says:

Yeah, definitely not typical or dry at least. It’s similar to Elfen Lied, but that’s not a typical type of show. Brynhildr does have some fanservice and some of the characters other than the MC are pretty stupid so I can see how psgels might be turned off by it, but the plot is pretty good so I think if he gave it a chance he’d give it an 82.5.

24. Tanz says:

Knights of Sidonia. I ended up catching up to the manga xD; I’m also watching Broken Blade 2014 (as I’ve lost track of the ova) and Captain Earth. I’ve yet to watch Mushishi so it’s not on my list yet.

I might also give that one series with Nike and the rain thing. I was going to read the manga. Should go watch it now.

25. Liri says:

I’m only following Black Bullet actively right now, though I kinda cheated on that one – the first episode wasn’t that good, though I know the source material, so I know how amazing it gets soon (by soon, I of course mean the second episode).

When I have a bit of time, I will also be following:

No Game No Life – fun series overall, similar vibes to Problem Children from Another World and likely going to be fun to watch.

Brynhildr – Also cheated on this one. The manga is terribly depressing, and I need some of that in my life at the moment.

Mushishi – It’s Mushishi, of course. I’ll probably actually wait until the end of the season and marathon this, actually.

Hitsugi no Chaika – Seems like it could be fun to watch.

Knights of Sidonia – Seems like it would be awesome.

WIXOSS – Just want to see where they go with it.

One Week Friends –

Ping Pong –

All-in-all, despite what others are commenting, I actually think this is a really good season for anime. Even if first episodes can be deceptive occasionally, there are a lot of shows that are worth checking out this time. I’ll probably give some of the other series the three-episode rule as well.

26. Brownie says:

Looking forward to:

No Game No Life – It’s pretty. And seems fun in a completely outlandish way. Whilst I love watching competent characters, as with psgels, I wish I could see how they work.

Soredemo Sekai – Because it’s been a while since the last shoujo with an interesting premise. I feel it’s a little lacking for a first episode, but I’m curious to see how it develops.

Chaika – Seems fun. The characters appear atypical and it feels like it’ll be a smart show.

~~~~~

Captain Earth was pure eye candy and the pacing was okay, if a little fast. I do have a few issues with it though from the main character’s automatic assumption that he had to go out into space, (nevermind in a mech that he instantly knows how to pilot)to the names of certain actions (It can’t just be me and my boyfriend who received perverted vibes! A libido pod? And that female mech). The “expand” sequence was also completely unnecessary. I feel that in the time it takes to line up the station and everything, that female mech/manifestation thing could probably blow it up. Yeah. Really confusing first episode.

27. Mir says:

That scene in PING PONG where they are outside while the two friends play inside, and there’s all this silence and white space, then bam, they analyze the player just with the sounds of the game that rises to them–wow. That was fabulous. I totally am gonna keep up with PP.

Mushi-shi–what can I say. I always feel like there’s this glow of magic when an episode ends, like something supernatural lingers. Beautiful.

I’m gonna follow Sidona and Baby Steps. I read a lot of the manga of the latter and enjoyed the progression and quirks of the players. I know squat about Sidonia (my hubby was familiar), but I liked how it looked and the questions raised. Plus as a sci-fi lover, I enjoy that subgenre of the floating communities in space….

We’re also following Haikyuu! Seems like lately the sports anime draw us, as we just finished up Kuroko 2 and still watch Yowamushi Pedal and Daiya no A.

28. Aga says:

Hi, I would be glad if you could have a look at my Etsy shop. I’m offering anime/ manga theme pendants Feel free to contact me for your custom image pendant too!

29. Arno says:

I will follow Fuuun.

That’s the true ecchi spirit : not fanservice, but lots of embarrassing situations.

A great laugh after a full day’s wok !

30. aeralure says:

I’m going with Mekakucity Actors, Knights of Sidonia and Mushishi. I’m iffy on Soredemo right now, but I may give it a few episodes.

31. OptimismJam says:

Just loving your reviews! Always fun to read them. Right now, enjoying all the new animes and the ones that caught my eye are No Game No Life and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Very great opening episodes for me so far.

32. roonike says:

Hitsugi no Chaika made me sad, they omited WAY TOO MUCH INFO on the first episode and it was so fucking rushed, literally first 2 chapters of the manga rushed as fuck(first chapter has 66 pages and 2nd haves 40+)

33. meow says:

Stuff that caught my eye:

Mushishi – psgel’s has already said everything that needs to be said about why this should be followed. XD

Bokura wa kawaisou – Tickles me a lot. Lovely art style, colorful characters and fun atmosphere. Also like how they throw in manga-like mini-phrases into the convos. Good for those trying to pick up reading Japanese.

Black Bullet – Morbidly compelling, although I may drop this if it gets much more depressing. Reminds me quite a bit of Walking Dead cos there are serious questions raised on the worth of the surviving community.

Knights of Sidonia – Interesting international mix in the staff list. I’m used to seeing Koreans and maybe some Chinese but there’s a whole mix in this time. This might be some kind of international collaboration of some significance. Excellent song by Angela although the lyrics make me sad. Feels a bit like the opposite of Gargantia, in terms of atmosphere, although I’d put them both in the same genre.

Mekakucity Actors – 2 Shaft series airing simultaneously? I like Nisekoi so I’m giving this one a shot too.

Customize
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...
But I suppose watching Westworld isn't exactly a waste of time.
Downside is that I really don't have a lot of time these days. It's rather annoying. The day goes by and it doesn't really feel like you did anything.
On the upside, I am nearly finished Legend of the galactic heroes. So when the Remake airs next year I will have a lot to say about it.
Personally I have been rather busy lately and wanted to finish off a few things. Hence why my posts have been getting later.
Anyway when there's nothing on the chat box to talk about then of course it dries up.
You have unfortunate timing.
All the chat regulars have left house as well.
Four days since a single post.
Damn, I don't know if it's the layout/algorithm/mods, but so many subreddits that I used to frequent have gotten watered down as hell. Between the influx of shills and changes to the upvote/downvote system (which doesn't properly convey controversial comments anymore, like 45 upvotes to 47 downvotes. Now it shows only a -2) it's hard to find reasonable debates or find important info
@K-off: and for that book the last time I checked it was $110 for you guys who live US plus free shipping. For us it's $150 not incluing the postage and few weeks delivery.
Damn, I didn't realize that it could be that bad elsewhere. The worst experience I had was when I ordered a laser pointer from Switzerland over a forum, and the cunt didn't respond for nearly 4 weeks until I threatened to refund my $250 on PayPal.
@Mario, Europe. That's the difference.
@Aidan: yeah I got a dispatch notice saying it's shipping now. I ordered it back in September as well so I don't know why the difference between us.
I remember the days where I used to be relying on waiting for anime dvds to come out locally , looking back they were really overpriced, 35 euro for 4 or 5 episodes.
My opinion on FMA alchemist ended up being all over the place because I must have watched 3 episodes every few months of it, then I stopped watching it for a year, got back into it for a few months, abandoned it for months then marathoned 20 episodes in one night to get it finished.

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Flip Flappers 08c

Flip Flappers – 08 [Pure Breaker]

Yay, I’ve reached 100th post here at this site, and if you can probably tell from my still-clumsy writing this is also my first 100 blogging ever. This isn’t much to be completely frank but it’s a milestone for me nonetheless, as there had been a fair amount of commitment for the last 8 months […]

vlSound Eupho 2 - 08

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 08 [Rhapsody in Flu]

This week, the show delivers one of my favorite Eupho moments: as Kumiko and Reina quietly listen to the Euphonium CD, enjoying that little moments when the music is playing with drama or conflict yet to come. This little moment and the firework sequence back in the first episode are Sound Eupho at their best. […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-08-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 08[Sudden Event In Session!]

Blessed be the peacemaker, for she ups the body count. I don’t think it’s a surprise that Winterprison ended up dying while protecting Nana. But it is surprising that she managed to take down one of the twin angels before getting taken out. All the more surprising considering that the angels didn’t get a flashback […]

drifters-07-2

Drifters – 07[Chaos Diver]

Considering this is the first clash the Drifters had with the ends things went rather smoothly. They managed to take one down and send the other one packing. This really is what Drifters is best act, balls to the wall action and insanity. Admittedly I wish the animation is better as it does rely on […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373