Posted by psgels on 11 April 2014 with categories: Random Posts

Well, the only shows that are still set to air are that cats and dogs show and that one Shaft series, but all of the shows I cared about have aired. Here’s a quick spoiler-free overview of the series that I’m going to try and follow, and think have it in them to keep watching in order of preference:

Baby Steps: Very knowledgeable, but it still needs to deliver on the emotional level.

One Week Friends: I’m a bit on the fence on this one, but it has the potential to be really heart-warming.

Knights of Sidonia: Dystopian sci-fi that has an actually good atmosphere. Note that you need to be able to stomach 3D CG to watch this.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Lots of magic this season, but this show did it actually well by putting restrictions on its magic. Beyond that it’s got very good characters and a setting that has quite some potential for an epic yet grounded storyline.

Captain Earth: This show sets itself apart in the writing with lots of references back and forth to keep it interesting and fun. Because of that there is also a lot of potential in the characters.

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Not a moment of boredom or waste. Huge heaps of fun returning and the third season looks as strong as the others.

Ping Pong: Awesome animation, but also really well acted characters who are different, yet very fun to watch. Also Masaaki Yuasa took some cues from Osamu Dezaki.

Mushishi: Fantastic return. A truly relaxing and authentic show with deep and intelligent storylines and characters. The best of the best.

These are the series I’ll be looking out for. I have no idea how I’ll cover that in this blog, that’s going to be a matter entirely dependent on how I feel. I’ll try to at least cover Mushishi though. It deserves it.

So what are your favorites of the season after just one episode?

1. JaK says:

can only find time for 2 animes on weekly basis mahouka and mushishi it is then everything else will marathon when they end

2. K-Off says:

I am terminally confused as for what potential Psgels saw in Captain earth. Did he ignore the rushed story, horrible exposition, and the generic characters and villains? Not to mention how the main character knew how to pilot a gurren lagen sized mech without instructions… Please tell me I am wrong believing this :/

• JaK says:

ignore it bro :D iam sure if you have been reading this blog for a long time you will know that like many reviewers he is incredibly biased about somethings but will sometimes praise something just cause it has atmosphere :P still its fun to read his opinions sometimes no matter how off the mark they are

• psgels psgels says:

Of course I’m biased. I like what I like. But you say it in such a way that suggests that you do not have some sort of bias. And that is doing both you and me a bit of a disservice.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Yo Psgels, I don’t think you should respond to, or even bother to look in the comments section anymore. Instead just blog what you like and if people don’t like it, they can go jump in a lake. The anime community has gotten worse as of late, Its like not mater what you like, or don’t like (especially that) people are goin gto be assholes to you instead of having an actual discussion like adults. So it would just be better if you’d just blog and not bother with the comment section anymore. Yes some people maybe say “it’s only a few bad apples” But really, a few bad apples DO spoil the bunch. I think ignoring the comment section would also make blogging easier for you as I’m pretty sure you havet slowed your blogging down a lot for these reasons and balancing real life issues. I’m sure after you get off work and blog a bit seeing some jerk ward being a jerk on the internet – because he can makes you think “yeah…fuck it.” Especailly after the last incident with that Mentar dude.

You really don’t need to humor your readers, we read because we like your insights on different shows also because you blog shows that others don’t. . .shows that aren’t in the main stream of moe blobs and useless male main characters in some sort of silly high school setting every season.

But yeah, if people don’t like what you like and want to bash you about them, ignore ’em you have work life and blogging and other life stuff to balance.

• Joe says:

Captain Earth’s first episode was very typical, but the presentation was good. The first episode was rushed, but that’s a good thing I think because it got the generic beginning chunk of every mecha series out of the way quickly. I disagree on the characters being generic. The lead character and his childhood friend were pretty good, at least. Besides, this is by the people who made Star Driver, so it’s unlikely to be bad.

• Joe says:

Well, I meant that I liked other aspects of the presentation such as the flashbacks and the way the show is implying things rather than spoonfeeding us everything. Well, so far, at least. The introduction wasn’t skipped, it was just covered quickly. And I think what it covered was done well. The pace was fast, but I like it that way.

• cladinblue says:

I agree with Joe in terms of it just implying a lot things rather than skipping it entirely. I think at least many of those will be explored more throughout the series’ run, rather than ending with just the snippets showed in episode 1. I think that’s what psgels was referring to as referencing back and forth.

• Joe says:

Yes, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Much better than shows like Kill la Kill where one fight scene takes two episodes.

• Hogart says:

You might as well ask what he sees in Chaika, for that matter? Sometimes you just feel like watching something that’s borderline, and Captian Earth will end up on some people’s shortlists. I’d imagine it’s one of the ones he’s liable to drop first.

For my part I’d say Captain Earth was a mess, but had a a bit of a Eureka Seven feel to it that interested me… right up until the episode 2 preview. It seems capable of good storytelling, but also quite content to remain lazy. The kind of show where you might watch a few episodes in the hopes that it improves.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

Captain Earth was exceptionally well paced, both last week and this week. You don’t need your hand held and everything explained in the first episode.

In fact it seems to be the anti-Evangelion, explaining just enough and assuming that the protagonist and his friends are not going to stay pawns or victims, and that you can fight against institutionalized injustice while still defending Earth. Even if the villains won’t make it easy for you.

3. Emma says:

For me its looking like I am sticking with Chaika and ping pong for sure, but I’m unsure about nanana but thats it for me this season.

4. Vawn says:

Ping Pong, Mushishi, and JoJo are by far my favorites of this season.

5. bakanishi says:

hope One Week Friends will get better!

6. bravejaf says:

I will probably go with Chaika after one episode. One Week Friends and Baby Steps also had great first episodes.

7. Hogart says:

This is basically my shortlist too, psgels. Though I’ll probably watch a few more other anime for a bit, because Chaika, Baby Steps and Captain Earth seem like they could be replaced by others if those improve while these falter.

8. starry says:

I’m following Jojo, Mushishi, Captain Earth, and Ping Pong as well. On the fence about Mekaku City Actors, hasn’t aired yet so there isn’t much to judge but if I get too busy it’ll probably be the first to go. I like my four picks though, they’re all strong and solid before (and Mushishi is practically a masterpiece with the bonus of the second season being just as strong as the first despite the long wait). The others didn’t really catch my eye or interest me and I’m already satisfied with my choices.

9. Bam says:

Good choices.

10. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

I’m disappointed that you have chosen not to blog WIXOSS not because I think you underrated what looks to me like a promising show, but because I was looking forward to possibly seeing your thoughts on it. I can only hope that, if it ends up being as good of a show as I think it has the potential to be, you’ll make the decision to watch it for fun, without feeling the need to blog about it.

11. nevon says:

It’s my first post here. These are the ones I will watch:

Baby Steps: because I loved the manga (even thought the anime version is quite ugly). Gokukoku no Brynhildr: I read some chapters from the manga and I liked it, but the adaptation was not that good. I hope that it will change. Hitsugi no Chaika: It wasn’t anything special, but it was lovely fantasy which felt very nostalgic for me (in 2007-2009 there was a lot more of its kind, I always had a fantasy anime to watch, but now it’s a lot less). JoJo2: It should not be missed, the first 2 episodes is fantastic. However, the opening is not as good as in the first season. Mushishi 2: It was so long since the first season, I hardly remeber it anymore, but I know that I liked it. And the second season started really strongly. As a huge Natsume fan, I really love it so far. Sidonia no Kishi: I loved the atmosphere and the world of the anime. Soredemo Sekai: Another fantasy. I really like the main heroine and her voice, and I liked the first anime original episode which further introduced us to the world of the anime. Kindaichi R: As a Conan fan, I really waited for this anime. The first case is still ongoing, but I like it so far. Not as good as Conan (I know that, because I watched about 20 episodes of the old anime), but it is among the best. And I’m still on the fence about Isshuukan Friends.

12. Gan_HOPE326 says:

I’ll watch for sure Jojo, Baby Steps and One Week Friends. The World is Beautiful, Captain Earth and No Game No Life are second-tier. Ping Pong and Mushishi I’ll keep for when they’re completed probably, especially Mushishi as I haven’t seen season 1 yet.
    Selector: Infected WIXOSS wins the dubious honour of being the first show I dropped this season, right in the middle of episode 2, out of sheer boredom.

13. O.Nunes says:

Did you forget to watch Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou psgels? :o

14. Joe says:

Are you going to be watching Madoka Rebellion?

15. Litho says:

Only Mushishi and Ping Pong for me.

Big fan of Nihei, but I think I’ll stick with the manga for Sidonia. Might give Captain Earth a watch, just to see what everyone’s bickering about.

16. Aegd says:

Knights of Sidonia could have been good, if it wasn’t for the characters looking like lifeless zombies. Stiff animations, no facial-expression, half the characters being copy-paste of the others. I couldn’t stomach it. It would have been fine if they just had gone 2d with the characters and 3d with the rest.

• Oroboros says:

Knights of Sidonia seems like the only show I’ll be watching this season. For all the reasons PSGELS listed.

Aegd:
      Agreed on the lazy CGI use, especially in the extreme close-up shots, and duplicate characters. Yes, I get that they’re supposed to be clones, but that’s a lazy trope to excuse re-using cgi renders.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros: Glad to hear you looked into sidonia, I recall you also read blame and biomega which I recommended to you? What is your take, comparing Sidonia with both those series?

• Oroboros says:

Hi Emma :-D

I haven’t read BIOMEGA, to my eternal shame, but I did read several volumes of BLAME! (is that still on going?)

and fell in love with its minimalist nature. I think I lost my place when I updated my browser, so I’ll have to dig around one day.

It’s hard to compare the two stories, largely because I only watched one episode of Knights of Sidonia, but both properties share in a similar mood of fatalism or the like.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros:Aye, blame is finished , same with biomega.
            I’m three volumes into sidonia right now, theres a fair bit to like but I miss the roughness, same strength athmosphere, sidonia is mainstreamish in comparison to his indie-ish work and thats a bit of a throw off for me.

• quintilius says:

Sidonia is a great example of something the Japanese can do that the west just doesnt – cold, quiet, lifeless, stark SF. (It’s why they can do so much with horror – and why western film studios grab it and paste that terror into often gorier and dumbed down versions).

This show is spectacular. If you’ve read Tsutomu Nihei’s earlier works – Biomega or Blame (the art is just amazing), you know that sort of quiet surreal style that would translate terribly to film. Whole chapters go without a single word. I never thought they’d try to put any of his stuff to film – but if they were going to do it with one Sidonia was going to be it.

The art fits the style and tone of the book perfectly. Doing this story with Kyoani would be an abomination. The stark colors, the clones, the general creepiness of everything… that’s just not ‘accessible’ to a lot of people. The closest many get to it would be something like Mardock or Titan – shows that can be ‘a little off’ but still bright and colorful with explosions… This one is Ridley Scott – not Michael Bay – and that just turns most people off on either side of the Pacific.

17. Jay says:

Out of the series I’ve seen so far, the ones I’m going to watch this season are Jojo, Mushishi, Akuma no Riddle, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, Captain Earth, Selector Infected WIXOSS, and Kamigami no Asobi. Jojo and Mushishi are for the obvious reasons, and I’m certain I won’t drop them. Akuma no Riddle I’m watching because it’s atmospheric, it flows well, and it could shape up to be pretty good. Soredemo Sekai has potential but I just hope that it won’t get more fanservicey padding. Captain Earth has all the elements to be good but it remains to be seen if it can follow through. WIXOSS is actually decent so far (your review worried me; I thought from it that the person with the incestuous crush would be the main character, and I was very happy to find out it was actually someone else!). And Kamigami no Asobi is very sparkly and silly.

18. chiita says:

Knights of Sidonia, Isshukan Friends, and Mekakucity Actors. I was kind of surprised you decided not to watch Mekakucity Actors, though. The art is gorgeous and distinctive. I decided to drop WIXOSS even before I watched it, lol. And I am kinda having mixed feelings about Nanana’s Buried Treasure (if it wasn’t because the fanservice and the pervert main char!) so I am not sure if I want to watch this series or not (it’s such a waste, it has such a great premise though, but where is the noitaminA spirit?!). Hitsugi no Chaika sure is good, but not really my cup of tea. Captain Earth delivered such a promising start, but I like Sidonia better (because of SF ambience >_<), but let's see what will happen next.

19. rawr says:

Not Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii? Well I can understand. I never thought they’d adapt it though it is a nice read.

I believe if anything is going to revitalize the shoujo adventure genre I love so much, it might be Akatsuki no Yona and maybe Choukakou.
    Are you still reading manga? You should check these two out! The characters and development is phenomenal, and carries the same feelings I had when I watched Twelve Kingdoms & Saiunkoku Monogatari. I especially love Yona. :P

20. maize hughes says:

Hi psgels!
    I’ve got a good gut feeling about:
    Baby Steps, and Hitsugi no Chaika. I have a hunch they will be very well written shows, episode after episode. I also believe I will probably never come to love them.

I’m really interested in:
    Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, since the female lead has an enormous amount of personality, and they spent some effort and time animating her powers. I’m mildly concerned that the script will be uneven.

I’m charmed by:
    Nanana’s Buried Treasure, because it just seems fun. Taking the ‘pervy male lead gets punished’ trope and turning it in to something he does to himself struck me as the ultimate deconstruction. Also, Nanana’s character design/animation is cute. Based on the next episode preview, and the OP/ED, I have real concerns about the rest of the cast, and the rest of the plot.

I’m horrified and intrigued by:
    Kanojo ga Flag wo Orareta. I predict I’ll tune in week after week, just to see what crazy thing will happen next. I like the comedy aspect.

I’ve dropped:
    More shows than any other season. Just an amazing number. Even shows I would have otherwise grudgingly watched. I think the industry is going to discover exactly how many medium-quality shows the fans are willing to support. They’ve finally out-produced what I’m willing to watch. I’ve even decided not to pick up Mushishi, but that’s because I know it will be great, even if I watch it later.

• JaK says:

you’ll be surprised bro, as most anime is directed at jap audience not “us” light novels and manga’s don’t get adapted on a whim they get adapted since they already have a huge fanbase

21. Dr. Pest says:

@psgels: Have you seen Mekakucity and Rowdy Sumo Matsutaro? I didn’t see you mention them but I found Matsutarou funny as hell and it’s very different from the usual anime nowadays. My other two favorite first episodes would be Captain Earth and Sidonia no Kishi I think. I have at least 6 series I already love very much though (including Jojo and Mushishi of course).

22. Lima says:

I’m actually following a ton of shows. Am I the only one who really likes this season? Soredemo Sekai Wa Utsukushii, Knights of Sidonia and Mekakucity Actors are the things I’ll be looking forward to the most. Speaking of the latter, aren’t you even going to give your first impressions? At least check out the first episode, haha!

23. Joe says:

I liked the anime so I’ve been reading the Brynhildr manga and it’s actually pretty great. I’m about 16 chapters in. Psgels, you judged this show too quickly. The MC acts intelligently and the relationship between the main character and Kuroha is great.

• Joe says:

Yeah, definitely not typical or dry at least. It’s similar to Elfen Lied, but that’s not a typical type of show. Brynhildr does have some fanservice and some of the characters other than the MC are pretty stupid so I can see how psgels might be turned off by it, but the plot is pretty good so I think if he gave it a chance he’d give it an 82.5.

24. Tanz says:

Knights of Sidonia. I ended up catching up to the manga xD; I’m also watching Broken Blade 2014 (as I’ve lost track of the ova) and Captain Earth. I’ve yet to watch Mushishi so it’s not on my list yet.

I might also give that one series with Nike and the rain thing. I was going to read the manga. Should go watch it now.

25. Liri says:

I’m only following Black Bullet actively right now, though I kinda cheated on that one – the first episode wasn’t that good, though I know the source material, so I know how amazing it gets soon (by soon, I of course mean the second episode).

When I have a bit of time, I will also be following:

No Game No Life – fun series overall, similar vibes to Problem Children from Another World and likely going to be fun to watch.

Brynhildr – Also cheated on this one. The manga is terribly depressing, and I need some of that in my life at the moment.

Mushishi – It’s Mushishi, of course. I’ll probably actually wait until the end of the season and marathon this, actually.

Hitsugi no Chaika – Seems like it could be fun to watch.

Knights of Sidonia – Seems like it would be awesome.

WIXOSS – Just want to see where they go with it.

One Week Friends –

Ping Pong –

All-in-all, despite what others are commenting, I actually think this is a really good season for anime. Even if first episodes can be deceptive occasionally, there are a lot of shows that are worth checking out this time. I’ll probably give some of the other series the three-episode rule as well.

26. Brownie says:

Looking forward to:

No Game No Life – It’s pretty. And seems fun in a completely outlandish way. Whilst I love watching competent characters, as with psgels, I wish I could see how they work.

Soredemo Sekai – Because it’s been a while since the last shoujo with an interesting premise. I feel it’s a little lacking for a first episode, but I’m curious to see how it develops.

Chaika – Seems fun. The characters appear atypical and it feels like it’ll be a smart show.

~~~~~

Captain Earth was pure eye candy and the pacing was okay, if a little fast. I do have a few issues with it though from the main character’s automatic assumption that he had to go out into space, (nevermind in a mech that he instantly knows how to pilot)to the names of certain actions (It can’t just be me and my boyfriend who received perverted vibes! A libido pod? And that female mech). The “expand” sequence was also completely unnecessary. I feel that in the time it takes to line up the station and everything, that female mech/manifestation thing could probably blow it up. Yeah. Really confusing first episode.

27. Mir says:

That scene in PING PONG where they are outside while the two friends play inside, and there’s all this silence and white space, then bam, they analyze the player just with the sounds of the game that rises to them–wow. That was fabulous. I totally am gonna keep up with PP.

Mushi-shi–what can I say. I always feel like there’s this glow of magic when an episode ends, like something supernatural lingers. Beautiful.

I’m gonna follow Sidona and Baby Steps. I read a lot of the manga of the latter and enjoyed the progression and quirks of the players. I know squat about Sidonia (my hubby was familiar), but I liked how it looked and the questions raised. Plus as a sci-fi lover, I enjoy that subgenre of the floating communities in space….

We’re also following Haikyuu! Seems like lately the sports anime draw us, as we just finished up Kuroko 2 and still watch Yowamushi Pedal and Daiya no A.

28. Aga says:

Hi, I would be glad if you could have a look at my Etsy shop. I’m offering anime/ manga theme pendants Feel free to contact me for your custom image pendant too!

29. Arno says:

I will follow Fuuun.

That’s the true ecchi spirit : not fanservice, but lots of embarrassing situations.

A great laugh after a full day’s wok !

30. aeralure says:

I’m going with Mekakucity Actors, Knights of Sidonia and Mushishi. I’m iffy on Soredemo right now, but I may give it a few episodes.

31. OptimismJam says:

Just loving your reviews! Always fun to read them. Right now, enjoying all the new animes and the ones that caught my eye are No Game No Life and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Very great opening episodes for me so far.

32. roonike says:

Hitsugi no Chaika made me sad, they omited WAY TOO MUCH INFO on the first episode and it was so fucking rushed, literally first 2 chapters of the manga rushed as fuck(first chapter has 66 pages and 2nd haves 40+)

33. meow says:

Stuff that caught my eye:

Mushishi – psgel’s has already said everything that needs to be said about why this should be followed. XD

Bokura wa kawaisou – Tickles me a lot. Lovely art style, colorful characters and fun atmosphere. Also like how they throw in manga-like mini-phrases into the convos. Good for those trying to pick up reading Japanese.

Black Bullet – Morbidly compelling, although I may drop this if it gets much more depressing. Reminds me quite a bit of Walking Dead cos there are serious questions raised on the worth of the surviving community.

Knights of Sidonia – Interesting international mix in the staff list. I’m used to seeing Koreans and maybe some Chinese but there’s a whole mix in this time. This might be some kind of international collaboration of some significance. Excellent song by Angela although the lyrics make me sad. Feels a bit like the opposite of Gargantia, in terms of atmosphere, although I’d put them both in the same genre.

Mekakucity Actors – 2 Shaft series airing simultaneously? I like Nisekoi so I’m giving this one a shot too.

Customize
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373