Posted by psgels on 11 April 2014 with categories: Random Posts

Well, the only shows that are still set to air are that cats and dogs show and that one Shaft series, but all of the shows I cared about have aired. Here’s a quick spoiler-free overview of the series that I’m going to try and follow, and think have it in them to keep watching in order of preference:

Baby Steps: Very knowledgeable, but it still needs to deliver on the emotional level.

One Week Friends: I’m a bit on the fence on this one, but it has the potential to be really heart-warming.

Knights of Sidonia: Dystopian sci-fi that has an actually good atmosphere. Note that you need to be able to stomach 3D CG to watch this.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Lots of magic this season, but this show did it actually well by putting restrictions on its magic. Beyond that it’s got very good characters and a setting that has quite some potential for an epic yet grounded storyline.

Captain Earth: This show sets itself apart in the writing with lots of references back and forth to keep it interesting and fun. Because of that there is also a lot of potential in the characters.

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Not a moment of boredom or waste. Huge heaps of fun returning and the third season looks as strong as the others.

Ping Pong: Awesome animation, but also really well acted characters who are different, yet very fun to watch. Also Masaaki Yuasa took some cues from Osamu Dezaki.

Mushishi: Fantastic return. A truly relaxing and authentic show with deep and intelligent storylines and characters. The best of the best.

These are the series I’ll be looking out for. I have no idea how I’ll cover that in this blog, that’s going to be a matter entirely dependent on how I feel. I’ll try to at least cover Mushishi though. It deserves it.

So what are your favorites of the season after just one episode?

1. JaK says:

can only find time for 2 animes on weekly basis mahouka and mushishi it is then everything else will marathon when they end

2. K-Off says:

I am terminally confused as for what potential Psgels saw in Captain earth. Did he ignore the rushed story, horrible exposition, and the generic characters and villains? Not to mention how the main character knew how to pilot a gurren lagen sized mech without instructions… Please tell me I am wrong believing this :/

• JaK says:

ignore it bro :D iam sure if you have been reading this blog for a long time you will know that like many reviewers he is incredibly biased about somethings but will sometimes praise something just cause it has atmosphere :P still its fun to read his opinions sometimes no matter how off the mark they are

• psgels psgels says:

Of course I’m biased. I like what I like. But you say it in such a way that suggests that you do not have some sort of bias. And that is doing both you and me a bit of a disservice.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Yo Psgels, I don’t think you should respond to, or even bother to look in the comments section anymore. Instead just blog what you like and if people don’t like it, they can go jump in a lake. The anime community has gotten worse as of late, Its like not mater what you like, or don’t like (especially that) people are goin gto be assholes to you instead of having an actual discussion like adults. So it would just be better if you’d just blog and not bother with the comment section anymore. Yes some people maybe say “it’s only a few bad apples” But really, a few bad apples DO spoil the bunch. I think ignoring the comment section would also make blogging easier for you as I’m pretty sure you havet slowed your blogging down a lot for these reasons and balancing real life issues. I’m sure after you get off work and blog a bit seeing some jerk ward being a jerk on the internet – because he can makes you think “yeah…fuck it.” Especailly after the last incident with that Mentar dude.

You really don’t need to humor your readers, we read because we like your insights on different shows also because you blog shows that others don’t. . .shows that aren’t in the main stream of moe blobs and useless male main characters in some sort of silly high school setting every season.

But yeah, if people don’t like what you like and want to bash you about them, ignore ’em you have work life and blogging and other life stuff to balance.

• Joe says:

Captain Earth’s first episode was very typical, but the presentation was good. The first episode was rushed, but that’s a good thing I think because it got the generic beginning chunk of every mecha series out of the way quickly. I disagree on the characters being generic. The lead character and his childhood friend were pretty good, at least. Besides, this is by the people who made Star Driver, so it’s unlikely to be bad.

• Joe says:

Well, I meant that I liked other aspects of the presentation such as the flashbacks and the way the show is implying things rather than spoonfeeding us everything. Well, so far, at least. The introduction wasn’t skipped, it was just covered quickly. And I think what it covered was done well. The pace was fast, but I like it that way.

• cladinblue says:

I agree with Joe in terms of it just implying a lot things rather than skipping it entirely. I think at least many of those will be explored more throughout the series’ run, rather than ending with just the snippets showed in episode 1. I think that’s what psgels was referring to as referencing back and forth.

• Joe says:

Yes, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Much better than shows like Kill la Kill where one fight scene takes two episodes.

• Hogart says:

You might as well ask what he sees in Chaika, for that matter? Sometimes you just feel like watching something that’s borderline, and Captian Earth will end up on some people’s shortlists. I’d imagine it’s one of the ones he’s liable to drop first.

For my part I’d say Captain Earth was a mess, but had a a bit of a Eureka Seven feel to it that interested me… right up until the episode 2 preview. It seems capable of good storytelling, but also quite content to remain lazy. The kind of show where you might watch a few episodes in the hopes that it improves.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

Captain Earth was exceptionally well paced, both last week and this week. You don’t need your hand held and everything explained in the first episode.

In fact it seems to be the anti-Evangelion, explaining just enough and assuming that the protagonist and his friends are not going to stay pawns or victims, and that you can fight against institutionalized injustice while still defending Earth. Even if the villains won’t make it easy for you.

3. Emma says:

For me its looking like I am sticking with Chaika and ping pong for sure, but I’m unsure about nanana but thats it for me this season.

4. Vawn says:

Ping Pong, Mushishi, and JoJo are by far my favorites of this season.

5. bakanishi says:

hope One Week Friends will get better!

6. bravejaf says:

I will probably go with Chaika after one episode. One Week Friends and Baby Steps also had great first episodes.

7. Hogart says:

This is basically my shortlist too, psgels. Though I’ll probably watch a few more other anime for a bit, because Chaika, Baby Steps and Captain Earth seem like they could be replaced by others if those improve while these falter.

8. starry says:

I’m following Jojo, Mushishi, Captain Earth, and Ping Pong as well. On the fence about Mekaku City Actors, hasn’t aired yet so there isn’t much to judge but if I get too busy it’ll probably be the first to go. I like my four picks though, they’re all strong and solid before (and Mushishi is practically a masterpiece with the bonus of the second season being just as strong as the first despite the long wait). The others didn’t really catch my eye or interest me and I’m already satisfied with my choices.

9. Bam says:

Good choices.

10. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

I’m disappointed that you have chosen not to blog WIXOSS not because I think you underrated what looks to me like a promising show, but because I was looking forward to possibly seeing your thoughts on it. I can only hope that, if it ends up being as good of a show as I think it has the potential to be, you’ll make the decision to watch it for fun, without feeling the need to blog about it.

11. nevon says:

It’s my first post here. These are the ones I will watch:

Baby Steps: because I loved the manga (even thought the anime version is quite ugly). Gokukoku no Brynhildr: I read some chapters from the manga and I liked it, but the adaptation was not that good. I hope that it will change. Hitsugi no Chaika: It wasn’t anything special, but it was lovely fantasy which felt very nostalgic for me (in 2007-2009 there was a lot more of its kind, I always had a fantasy anime to watch, but now it’s a lot less). JoJo2: It should not be missed, the first 2 episodes is fantastic. However, the opening is not as good as in the first season. Mushishi 2: It was so long since the first season, I hardly remeber it anymore, but I know that I liked it. And the second season started really strongly. As a huge Natsume fan, I really love it so far. Sidonia no Kishi: I loved the atmosphere and the world of the anime. Soredemo Sekai: Another fantasy. I really like the main heroine and her voice, and I liked the first anime original episode which further introduced us to the world of the anime. Kindaichi R: As a Conan fan, I really waited for this anime. The first case is still ongoing, but I like it so far. Not as good as Conan (I know that, because I watched about 20 episodes of the old anime), but it is among the best. And I’m still on the fence about Isshuukan Friends.

12. Gan_HOPE326 says:

I’ll watch for sure Jojo, Baby Steps and One Week Friends. The World is Beautiful, Captain Earth and No Game No Life are second-tier. Ping Pong and Mushishi I’ll keep for when they’re completed probably, especially Mushishi as I haven’t seen season 1 yet.
    Selector: Infected WIXOSS wins the dubious honour of being the first show I dropped this season, right in the middle of episode 2, out of sheer boredom.

13. O.Nunes says:

Did you forget to watch Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou psgels? :o

14. Joe says:

Are you going to be watching Madoka Rebellion?

15. Litho says:

Only Mushishi and Ping Pong for me.

Big fan of Nihei, but I think I’ll stick with the manga for Sidonia. Might give Captain Earth a watch, just to see what everyone’s bickering about.

16. Aegd says:

Knights of Sidonia could have been good, if it wasn’t for the characters looking like lifeless zombies. Stiff animations, no facial-expression, half the characters being copy-paste of the others. I couldn’t stomach it. It would have been fine if they just had gone 2d with the characters and 3d with the rest.

• Oroboros says:

Knights of Sidonia seems like the only show I’ll be watching this season. For all the reasons PSGELS listed.

Aegd:
      Agreed on the lazy CGI use, especially in the extreme close-up shots, and duplicate characters. Yes, I get that they’re supposed to be clones, but that’s a lazy trope to excuse re-using cgi renders.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros: Glad to hear you looked into sidonia, I recall you also read blame and biomega which I recommended to you? What is your take, comparing Sidonia with both those series?

• Oroboros says:

Hi Emma :-D

I haven’t read BIOMEGA, to my eternal shame, but I did read several volumes of BLAME! (is that still on going?)

and fell in love with its minimalist nature. I think I lost my place when I updated my browser, so I’ll have to dig around one day.

It’s hard to compare the two stories, largely because I only watched one episode of Knights of Sidonia, but both properties share in a similar mood of fatalism or the like.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros:Aye, blame is finished , same with biomega.
            I’m three volumes into sidonia right now, theres a fair bit to like but I miss the roughness, same strength athmosphere, sidonia is mainstreamish in comparison to his indie-ish work and thats a bit of a throw off for me.

• quintilius says:

Sidonia is a great example of something the Japanese can do that the west just doesnt – cold, quiet, lifeless, stark SF. (It’s why they can do so much with horror – and why western film studios grab it and paste that terror into often gorier and dumbed down versions).

This show is spectacular. If you’ve read Tsutomu Nihei’s earlier works – Biomega or Blame (the art is just amazing), you know that sort of quiet surreal style that would translate terribly to film. Whole chapters go without a single word. I never thought they’d try to put any of his stuff to film – but if they were going to do it with one Sidonia was going to be it.

The art fits the style and tone of the book perfectly. Doing this story with Kyoani would be an abomination. The stark colors, the clones, the general creepiness of everything… that’s just not ‘accessible’ to a lot of people. The closest many get to it would be something like Mardock or Titan – shows that can be ‘a little off’ but still bright and colorful with explosions… This one is Ridley Scott – not Michael Bay – and that just turns most people off on either side of the Pacific.

17. Jay says:

Out of the series I’ve seen so far, the ones I’m going to watch this season are Jojo, Mushishi, Akuma no Riddle, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, Captain Earth, Selector Infected WIXOSS, and Kamigami no Asobi. Jojo and Mushishi are for the obvious reasons, and I’m certain I won’t drop them. Akuma no Riddle I’m watching because it’s atmospheric, it flows well, and it could shape up to be pretty good. Soredemo Sekai has potential but I just hope that it won’t get more fanservicey padding. Captain Earth has all the elements to be good but it remains to be seen if it can follow through. WIXOSS is actually decent so far (your review worried me; I thought from it that the person with the incestuous crush would be the main character, and I was very happy to find out it was actually someone else!). And Kamigami no Asobi is very sparkly and silly.

18. chiita says:

Knights of Sidonia, Isshukan Friends, and Mekakucity Actors. I was kind of surprised you decided not to watch Mekakucity Actors, though. The art is gorgeous and distinctive. I decided to drop WIXOSS even before I watched it, lol. And I am kinda having mixed feelings about Nanana’s Buried Treasure (if it wasn’t because the fanservice and the pervert main char!) so I am not sure if I want to watch this series or not (it’s such a waste, it has such a great premise though, but where is the noitaminA spirit?!). Hitsugi no Chaika sure is good, but not really my cup of tea. Captain Earth delivered such a promising start, but I like Sidonia better (because of SF ambience >_<), but let's see what will happen next.

19. rawr says:

Not Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii? Well I can understand. I never thought they’d adapt it though it is a nice read.

I believe if anything is going to revitalize the shoujo adventure genre I love so much, it might be Akatsuki no Yona and maybe Choukakou.
    Are you still reading manga? You should check these two out! The characters and development is phenomenal, and carries the same feelings I had when I watched Twelve Kingdoms & Saiunkoku Monogatari. I especially love Yona. :P

20. maize hughes says:

Hi psgels!
    I’ve got a good gut feeling about:
    Baby Steps, and Hitsugi no Chaika. I have a hunch they will be very well written shows, episode after episode. I also believe I will probably never come to love them.

I’m really interested in:
    Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, since the female lead has an enormous amount of personality, and they spent some effort and time animating her powers. I’m mildly concerned that the script will be uneven.

I’m charmed by:
    Nanana’s Buried Treasure, because it just seems fun. Taking the ‘pervy male lead gets punished’ trope and turning it in to something he does to himself struck me as the ultimate deconstruction. Also, Nanana’s character design/animation is cute. Based on the next episode preview, and the OP/ED, I have real concerns about the rest of the cast, and the rest of the plot.

I’m horrified and intrigued by:
    Kanojo ga Flag wo Orareta. I predict I’ll tune in week after week, just to see what crazy thing will happen next. I like the comedy aspect.

I’ve dropped:
    More shows than any other season. Just an amazing number. Even shows I would have otherwise grudgingly watched. I think the industry is going to discover exactly how many medium-quality shows the fans are willing to support. They’ve finally out-produced what I’m willing to watch. I’ve even decided not to pick up Mushishi, but that’s because I know it will be great, even if I watch it later.

• JaK says:

you’ll be surprised bro, as most anime is directed at jap audience not “us” light novels and manga’s don’t get adapted on a whim they get adapted since they already have a huge fanbase

21. Dr. Pest says:

@psgels: Have you seen Mekakucity and Rowdy Sumo Matsutaro? I didn’t see you mention them but I found Matsutarou funny as hell and it’s very different from the usual anime nowadays. My other two favorite first episodes would be Captain Earth and Sidonia no Kishi I think. I have at least 6 series I already love very much though (including Jojo and Mushishi of course).

22. Lima says:

I’m actually following a ton of shows. Am I the only one who really likes this season? Soredemo Sekai Wa Utsukushii, Knights of Sidonia and Mekakucity Actors are the things I’ll be looking forward to the most. Speaking of the latter, aren’t you even going to give your first impressions? At least check out the first episode, haha!

23. Joe says:

I liked the anime so I’ve been reading the Brynhildr manga and it’s actually pretty great. I’m about 16 chapters in. Psgels, you judged this show too quickly. The MC acts intelligently and the relationship between the main character and Kuroha is great.

• Joe says:

Yeah, definitely not typical or dry at least. It’s similar to Elfen Lied, but that’s not a typical type of show. Brynhildr does have some fanservice and some of the characters other than the MC are pretty stupid so I can see how psgels might be turned off by it, but the plot is pretty good so I think if he gave it a chance he’d give it an 82.5.

24. Tanz says:

Knights of Sidonia. I ended up catching up to the manga xD; I’m also watching Broken Blade 2014 (as I’ve lost track of the ova) and Captain Earth. I’ve yet to watch Mushishi so it’s not on my list yet.

I might also give that one series with Nike and the rain thing. I was going to read the manga. Should go watch it now.

25. Liri says:

I’m only following Black Bullet actively right now, though I kinda cheated on that one – the first episode wasn’t that good, though I know the source material, so I know how amazing it gets soon (by soon, I of course mean the second episode).

When I have a bit of time, I will also be following:

No Game No Life – fun series overall, similar vibes to Problem Children from Another World and likely going to be fun to watch.

Brynhildr – Also cheated on this one. The manga is terribly depressing, and I need some of that in my life at the moment.

Mushishi – It’s Mushishi, of course. I’ll probably actually wait until the end of the season and marathon this, actually.

Hitsugi no Chaika – Seems like it could be fun to watch.

Knights of Sidonia – Seems like it would be awesome.

WIXOSS – Just want to see where they go with it.

One Week Friends –

Ping Pong –

All-in-all, despite what others are commenting, I actually think this is a really good season for anime. Even if first episodes can be deceptive occasionally, there are a lot of shows that are worth checking out this time. I’ll probably give some of the other series the three-episode rule as well.

26. Brownie says:

Looking forward to:

No Game No Life – It’s pretty. And seems fun in a completely outlandish way. Whilst I love watching competent characters, as with psgels, I wish I could see how they work.

Soredemo Sekai – Because it’s been a while since the last shoujo with an interesting premise. I feel it’s a little lacking for a first episode, but I’m curious to see how it develops.

Chaika – Seems fun. The characters appear atypical and it feels like it’ll be a smart show.

~~~~~

Captain Earth was pure eye candy and the pacing was okay, if a little fast. I do have a few issues with it though from the main character’s automatic assumption that he had to go out into space, (nevermind in a mech that he instantly knows how to pilot)to the names of certain actions (It can’t just be me and my boyfriend who received perverted vibes! A libido pod? And that female mech). The “expand” sequence was also completely unnecessary. I feel that in the time it takes to line up the station and everything, that female mech/manifestation thing could probably blow it up. Yeah. Really confusing first episode.

27. Mir says:

That scene in PING PONG where they are outside while the two friends play inside, and there’s all this silence and white space, then bam, they analyze the player just with the sounds of the game that rises to them–wow. That was fabulous. I totally am gonna keep up with PP.

Mushi-shi–what can I say. I always feel like there’s this glow of magic when an episode ends, like something supernatural lingers. Beautiful.

I’m gonna follow Sidona and Baby Steps. I read a lot of the manga of the latter and enjoyed the progression and quirks of the players. I know squat about Sidonia (my hubby was familiar), but I liked how it looked and the questions raised. Plus as a sci-fi lover, I enjoy that subgenre of the floating communities in space….

We’re also following Haikyuu! Seems like lately the sports anime draw us, as we just finished up Kuroko 2 and still watch Yowamushi Pedal and Daiya no A.

28. Aga says:

Hi, I would be glad if you could have a look at my Etsy shop. I’m offering anime/ manga theme pendants Feel free to contact me for your custom image pendant too!

29. Arno says:

I will follow Fuuun.

That’s the true ecchi spirit : not fanservice, but lots of embarrassing situations.

A great laugh after a full day’s wok !

30. aeralure says:

I’m going with Mekakucity Actors, Knights of Sidonia and Mushishi. I’m iffy on Soredemo right now, but I may give it a few episodes.

31. OptimismJam says:

Just loving your reviews! Always fun to read them. Right now, enjoying all the new animes and the ones that caught my eye are No Game No Life and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Very great opening episodes for me so far.

32. roonike says:

Hitsugi no Chaika made me sad, they omited WAY TOO MUCH INFO on the first episode and it was so fucking rushed, literally first 2 chapters of the manga rushed as fuck(first chapter has 66 pages and 2nd haves 40+)

33. meow says:

Stuff that caught my eye:

Mushishi – psgel’s has already said everything that needs to be said about why this should be followed. XD

Bokura wa kawaisou – Tickles me a lot. Lovely art style, colorful characters and fun atmosphere. Also like how they throw in manga-like mini-phrases into the convos. Good for those trying to pick up reading Japanese.

Black Bullet – Morbidly compelling, although I may drop this if it gets much more depressing. Reminds me quite a bit of Walking Dead cos there are serious questions raised on the worth of the surviving community.

Knights of Sidonia – Interesting international mix in the staff list. I’m used to seeing Koreans and maybe some Chinese but there’s a whole mix in this time. This might be some kind of international collaboration of some significance. Excellent song by Angela although the lyrics make me sad. Feels a bit like the opposite of Gargantia, in terms of atmosphere, although I’d put them both in the same genre.

Mekakucity Actors – 2 Shaft series airing simultaneously? I like Nisekoi so I’m giving this one a shot too.

I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100