Posted by psgels on 11 April 2014 with categories: Random Posts

Well, the only shows that are still set to air are that cats and dogs show and that one Shaft series, but all of the shows I cared about have aired. Here’s a quick spoiler-free overview of the series that I’m going to try and follow, and think have it in them to keep watching in order of preference:

Baby Steps: Very knowledgeable, but it still needs to deliver on the emotional level.

One Week Friends: I’m a bit on the fence on this one, but it has the potential to be really heart-warming.

Knights of Sidonia: Dystopian sci-fi that has an actually good atmosphere. Note that you need to be able to stomach 3D CG to watch this.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Lots of magic this season, but this show did it actually well by putting restrictions on its magic. Beyond that it’s got very good characters and a setting that has quite some potential for an epic yet grounded storyline.

Captain Earth: This show sets itself apart in the writing with lots of references back and forth to keep it interesting and fun. Because of that there is also a lot of potential in the characters.

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Not a moment of boredom or waste. Huge heaps of fun returning and the third season looks as strong as the others.

Ping Pong: Awesome animation, but also really well acted characters who are different, yet very fun to watch. Also Masaaki Yuasa took some cues from Osamu Dezaki.

Mushishi: Fantastic return. A truly relaxing and authentic show with deep and intelligent storylines and characters. The best of the best.

These are the series I’ll be looking out for. I have no idea how I’ll cover that in this blog, that’s going to be a matter entirely dependent on how I feel. I’ll try to at least cover Mushishi though. It deserves it.

So what are your favorites of the season after just one episode?

1. JaK says:

can only find time for 2 animes on weekly basis mahouka and mushishi it is then everything else will marathon when they end

2. K-Off says:

I am terminally confused as for what potential Psgels saw in Captain earth. Did he ignore the rushed story, horrible exposition, and the generic characters and villains? Not to mention how the main character knew how to pilot a gurren lagen sized mech without instructions… Please tell me I am wrong believing this :/

• JaK says:

ignore it bro :D iam sure if you have been reading this blog for a long time you will know that like many reviewers he is incredibly biased about somethings but will sometimes praise something just cause it has atmosphere :P still its fun to read his opinions sometimes no matter how off the mark they are

• psgels psgels says:

Of course I’m biased. I like what I like. But you say it in such a way that suggests that you do not have some sort of bias. And that is doing both you and me a bit of a disservice.

• Sword Testing Cliff says:

Yo Psgels, I don’t think you should respond to, or even bother to look in the comments section anymore. Instead just blog what you like and if people don’t like it, they can go jump in a lake. The anime community has gotten worse as of late, Its like not mater what you like, or don’t like (especially that) people are goin gto be assholes to you instead of having an actual discussion like adults. So it would just be better if you’d just blog and not bother with the comment section anymore. Yes some people maybe say “it’s only a few bad apples” But really, a few bad apples DO spoil the bunch. I think ignoring the comment section would also make blogging easier for you as I’m pretty sure you havet slowed your blogging down a lot for these reasons and balancing real life issues. I’m sure after you get off work and blog a bit seeing some jerk ward being a jerk on the internet – because he can makes you think “yeah…fuck it.” Especailly after the last incident with that Mentar dude.

You really don’t need to humor your readers, we read because we like your insights on different shows also because you blog shows that others don’t. . .shows that aren’t in the main stream of moe blobs and useless male main characters in some sort of silly high school setting every season.

But yeah, if people don’t like what you like and want to bash you about them, ignore ’em you have work life and blogging and other life stuff to balance.

• Joe says:

Captain Earth’s first episode was very typical, but the presentation was good. The first episode was rushed, but that’s a good thing I think because it got the generic beginning chunk of every mecha series out of the way quickly. I disagree on the characters being generic. The lead character and his childhood friend were pretty good, at least. Besides, this is by the people who made Star Driver, so it’s unlikely to be bad.

• Joe says:

Well, I meant that I liked other aspects of the presentation such as the flashbacks and the way the show is implying things rather than spoonfeeding us everything. Well, so far, at least. The introduction wasn’t skipped, it was just covered quickly. And I think what it covered was done well. The pace was fast, but I like it that way.

• cladinblue says:

I agree with Joe in terms of it just implying a lot things rather than skipping it entirely. I think at least many of those will be explored more throughout the series’ run, rather than ending with just the snippets showed in episode 1. I think that’s what psgels was referring to as referencing back and forth.

• Joe says:

Yes, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Much better than shows like Kill la Kill where one fight scene takes two episodes.

• Hogart says:

You might as well ask what he sees in Chaika, for that matter? Sometimes you just feel like watching something that’s borderline, and Captian Earth will end up on some people’s shortlists. I’d imagine it’s one of the ones he’s liable to drop first.

For my part I’d say Captain Earth was a mess, but had a a bit of a Eureka Seven feel to it that interested me… right up until the episode 2 preview. It seems capable of good storytelling, but also quite content to remain lazy. The kind of show where you might watch a few episodes in the hopes that it improves.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

Captain Earth was exceptionally well paced, both last week and this week. You don’t need your hand held and everything explained in the first episode.

In fact it seems to be the anti-Evangelion, explaining just enough and assuming that the protagonist and his friends are not going to stay pawns or victims, and that you can fight against institutionalized injustice while still defending Earth. Even if the villains won’t make it easy for you.

3. Emma says:

For me its looking like I am sticking with Chaika and ping pong for sure, but I’m unsure about nanana but thats it for me this season.

4. Vawn says:

Ping Pong, Mushishi, and JoJo are by far my favorites of this season.

5. bakanishi says:

hope One Week Friends will get better!

6. bravejaf says:

I will probably go with Chaika after one episode. One Week Friends and Baby Steps also had great first episodes.

7. Hogart says:

This is basically my shortlist too, psgels. Though I’ll probably watch a few more other anime for a bit, because Chaika, Baby Steps and Captain Earth seem like they could be replaced by others if those improve while these falter.

8. starry says:

I’m following Jojo, Mushishi, Captain Earth, and Ping Pong as well. On the fence about Mekaku City Actors, hasn’t aired yet so there isn’t much to judge but if I get too busy it’ll probably be the first to go. I like my four picks though, they’re all strong and solid before (and Mushishi is practically a masterpiece with the bonus of the second season being just as strong as the first despite the long wait). The others didn’t really catch my eye or interest me and I’m already satisfied with my choices.

9. Bam says:

Good choices.

10. ninjarealist ninjarealist says:

I’m disappointed that you have chosen not to blog WIXOSS not because I think you underrated what looks to me like a promising show, but because I was looking forward to possibly seeing your thoughts on it. I can only hope that, if it ends up being as good of a show as I think it has the potential to be, you’ll make the decision to watch it for fun, without feeling the need to blog about it.

11. nevon says:

It’s my first post here. These are the ones I will watch:

Baby Steps: because I loved the manga (even thought the anime version is quite ugly). Gokukoku no Brynhildr: I read some chapters from the manga and I liked it, but the adaptation was not that good. I hope that it will change. Hitsugi no Chaika: It wasn’t anything special, but it was lovely fantasy which felt very nostalgic for me (in 2007-2009 there was a lot more of its kind, I always had a fantasy anime to watch, but now it’s a lot less). JoJo2: It should not be missed, the first 2 episodes is fantastic. However, the opening is not as good as in the first season. Mushishi 2: It was so long since the first season, I hardly remeber it anymore, but I know that I liked it. And the second season started really strongly. As a huge Natsume fan, I really love it so far. Sidonia no Kishi: I loved the atmosphere and the world of the anime. Soredemo Sekai: Another fantasy. I really like the main heroine and her voice, and I liked the first anime original episode which further introduced us to the world of the anime. Kindaichi R: As a Conan fan, I really waited for this anime. The first case is still ongoing, but I like it so far. Not as good as Conan (I know that, because I watched about 20 episodes of the old anime), but it is among the best. And I’m still on the fence about Isshuukan Friends.

12. Gan_HOPE326 says:

I’ll watch for sure Jojo, Baby Steps and One Week Friends. The World is Beautiful, Captain Earth and No Game No Life are second-tier. Ping Pong and Mushishi I’ll keep for when they’re completed probably, especially Mushishi as I haven’t seen season 1 yet.
    Selector: Infected WIXOSS wins the dubious honour of being the first show I dropped this season, right in the middle of episode 2, out of sheer boredom.

13. O.Nunes says:

Did you forget to watch Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou psgels? :o

14. Joe says:

Are you going to be watching Madoka Rebellion?

15. Litho says:

Only Mushishi and Ping Pong for me.

Big fan of Nihei, but I think I’ll stick with the manga for Sidonia. Might give Captain Earth a watch, just to see what everyone’s bickering about.

16. Aegd says:

Knights of Sidonia could have been good, if it wasn’t for the characters looking like lifeless zombies. Stiff animations, no facial-expression, half the characters being copy-paste of the others. I couldn’t stomach it. It would have been fine if they just had gone 2d with the characters and 3d with the rest.

• Oroboros says:

Knights of Sidonia seems like the only show I’ll be watching this season. For all the reasons PSGELS listed.

Aegd:
      Agreed on the lazy CGI use, especially in the extreme close-up shots, and duplicate characters. Yes, I get that they’re supposed to be clones, but that’s a lazy trope to excuse re-using cgi renders.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros: Glad to hear you looked into sidonia, I recall you also read blame and biomega which I recommended to you? What is your take, comparing Sidonia with both those series?

• Oroboros says:

Hi Emma :-D

I haven’t read BIOMEGA, to my eternal shame, but I did read several volumes of BLAME! (is that still on going?)

and fell in love with its minimalist nature. I think I lost my place when I updated my browser, so I’ll have to dig around one day.

It’s hard to compare the two stories, largely because I only watched one episode of Knights of Sidonia, but both properties share in a similar mood of fatalism or the like.

• Emma says:

@Oroboros:Aye, blame is finished , same with biomega.
            I’m three volumes into sidonia right now, theres a fair bit to like but I miss the roughness, same strength athmosphere, sidonia is mainstreamish in comparison to his indie-ish work and thats a bit of a throw off for me.

• quintilius says:

Sidonia is a great example of something the Japanese can do that the west just doesnt – cold, quiet, lifeless, stark SF. (It’s why they can do so much with horror – and why western film studios grab it and paste that terror into often gorier and dumbed down versions).

This show is spectacular. If you’ve read Tsutomu Nihei’s earlier works – Biomega or Blame (the art is just amazing), you know that sort of quiet surreal style that would translate terribly to film. Whole chapters go without a single word. I never thought they’d try to put any of his stuff to film – but if they were going to do it with one Sidonia was going to be it.

The art fits the style and tone of the book perfectly. Doing this story with Kyoani would be an abomination. The stark colors, the clones, the general creepiness of everything… that’s just not ‘accessible’ to a lot of people. The closest many get to it would be something like Mardock or Titan – shows that can be ‘a little off’ but still bright and colorful with explosions… This one is Ridley Scott – not Michael Bay – and that just turns most people off on either side of the Pacific.

17. Jay says:

Out of the series I’ve seen so far, the ones I’m going to watch this season are Jojo, Mushishi, Akuma no Riddle, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, Captain Earth, Selector Infected WIXOSS, and Kamigami no Asobi. Jojo and Mushishi are for the obvious reasons, and I’m certain I won’t drop them. Akuma no Riddle I’m watching because it’s atmospheric, it flows well, and it could shape up to be pretty good. Soredemo Sekai has potential but I just hope that it won’t get more fanservicey padding. Captain Earth has all the elements to be good but it remains to be seen if it can follow through. WIXOSS is actually decent so far (your review worried me; I thought from it that the person with the incestuous crush would be the main character, and I was very happy to find out it was actually someone else!). And Kamigami no Asobi is very sparkly and silly.

18. chiita says:

Knights of Sidonia, Isshukan Friends, and Mekakucity Actors. I was kind of surprised you decided not to watch Mekakucity Actors, though. The art is gorgeous and distinctive. I decided to drop WIXOSS even before I watched it, lol. And I am kinda having mixed feelings about Nanana’s Buried Treasure (if it wasn’t because the fanservice and the pervert main char!) so I am not sure if I want to watch this series or not (it’s such a waste, it has such a great premise though, but where is the noitaminA spirit?!). Hitsugi no Chaika sure is good, but not really my cup of tea. Captain Earth delivered such a promising start, but I like Sidonia better (because of SF ambience >_<), but let's see what will happen next.

19. rawr says:

Not Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii? Well I can understand. I never thought they’d adapt it though it is a nice read.

I believe if anything is going to revitalize the shoujo adventure genre I love so much, it might be Akatsuki no Yona and maybe Choukakou.
    Are you still reading manga? You should check these two out! The characters and development is phenomenal, and carries the same feelings I had when I watched Twelve Kingdoms & Saiunkoku Monogatari. I especially love Yona. :P

20. maize hughes says:

Hi psgels!
    I’ve got a good gut feeling about:
    Baby Steps, and Hitsugi no Chaika. I have a hunch they will be very well written shows, episode after episode. I also believe I will probably never come to love them.

I’m really interested in:
    Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi, since the female lead has an enormous amount of personality, and they spent some effort and time animating her powers. I’m mildly concerned that the script will be uneven.

I’m charmed by:
    Nanana’s Buried Treasure, because it just seems fun. Taking the ‘pervy male lead gets punished’ trope and turning it in to something he does to himself struck me as the ultimate deconstruction. Also, Nanana’s character design/animation is cute. Based on the next episode preview, and the OP/ED, I have real concerns about the rest of the cast, and the rest of the plot.

I’m horrified and intrigued by:
    Kanojo ga Flag wo Orareta. I predict I’ll tune in week after week, just to see what crazy thing will happen next. I like the comedy aspect.

I’ve dropped:
    More shows than any other season. Just an amazing number. Even shows I would have otherwise grudgingly watched. I think the industry is going to discover exactly how many medium-quality shows the fans are willing to support. They’ve finally out-produced what I’m willing to watch. I’ve even decided not to pick up Mushishi, but that’s because I know it will be great, even if I watch it later.

• JaK says:

you’ll be surprised bro, as most anime is directed at jap audience not “us” light novels and manga’s don’t get adapted on a whim they get adapted since they already have a huge fanbase

21. Dr. Pest says:

@psgels: Have you seen Mekakucity and Rowdy Sumo Matsutaro? I didn’t see you mention them but I found Matsutarou funny as hell and it’s very different from the usual anime nowadays. My other two favorite first episodes would be Captain Earth and Sidonia no Kishi I think. I have at least 6 series I already love very much though (including Jojo and Mushishi of course).

22. Lima says:

I’m actually following a ton of shows. Am I the only one who really likes this season? Soredemo Sekai Wa Utsukushii, Knights of Sidonia and Mekakucity Actors are the things I’ll be looking forward to the most. Speaking of the latter, aren’t you even going to give your first impressions? At least check out the first episode, haha!

23. Joe says:

I liked the anime so I’ve been reading the Brynhildr manga and it’s actually pretty great. I’m about 16 chapters in. Psgels, you judged this show too quickly. The MC acts intelligently and the relationship between the main character and Kuroha is great.

• Joe says:

Yeah, definitely not typical or dry at least. It’s similar to Elfen Lied, but that’s not a typical type of show. Brynhildr does have some fanservice and some of the characters other than the MC are pretty stupid so I can see how psgels might be turned off by it, but the plot is pretty good so I think if he gave it a chance he’d give it an 82.5.

24. Tanz says:

Knights of Sidonia. I ended up catching up to the manga xD; I’m also watching Broken Blade 2014 (as I’ve lost track of the ova) and Captain Earth. I’ve yet to watch Mushishi so it’s not on my list yet.

I might also give that one series with Nike and the rain thing. I was going to read the manga. Should go watch it now.

25. Liri says:

I’m only following Black Bullet actively right now, though I kinda cheated on that one – the first episode wasn’t that good, though I know the source material, so I know how amazing it gets soon (by soon, I of course mean the second episode).

When I have a bit of time, I will also be following:

No Game No Life – fun series overall, similar vibes to Problem Children from Another World and likely going to be fun to watch.

Brynhildr – Also cheated on this one. The manga is terribly depressing, and I need some of that in my life at the moment.

Mushishi – It’s Mushishi, of course. I’ll probably actually wait until the end of the season and marathon this, actually.

Hitsugi no Chaika – Seems like it could be fun to watch.

Knights of Sidonia – Seems like it would be awesome.

WIXOSS – Just want to see where they go with it.

One Week Friends –

Ping Pong –

All-in-all, despite what others are commenting, I actually think this is a really good season for anime. Even if first episodes can be deceptive occasionally, there are a lot of shows that are worth checking out this time. I’ll probably give some of the other series the three-episode rule as well.

26. Brownie says:

Looking forward to:

No Game No Life – It’s pretty. And seems fun in a completely outlandish way. Whilst I love watching competent characters, as with psgels, I wish I could see how they work.

Soredemo Sekai – Because it’s been a while since the last shoujo with an interesting premise. I feel it’s a little lacking for a first episode, but I’m curious to see how it develops.

Chaika – Seems fun. The characters appear atypical and it feels like it’ll be a smart show.

~~~~~

Captain Earth was pure eye candy and the pacing was okay, if a little fast. I do have a few issues with it though from the main character’s automatic assumption that he had to go out into space, (nevermind in a mech that he instantly knows how to pilot)to the names of certain actions (It can’t just be me and my boyfriend who received perverted vibes! A libido pod? And that female mech). The “expand” sequence was also completely unnecessary. I feel that in the time it takes to line up the station and everything, that female mech/manifestation thing could probably blow it up. Yeah. Really confusing first episode.

27. Mir says:

That scene in PING PONG where they are outside while the two friends play inside, and there’s all this silence and white space, then bam, they analyze the player just with the sounds of the game that rises to them–wow. That was fabulous. I totally am gonna keep up with PP.

Mushi-shi–what can I say. I always feel like there’s this glow of magic when an episode ends, like something supernatural lingers. Beautiful.

I’m gonna follow Sidona and Baby Steps. I read a lot of the manga of the latter and enjoyed the progression and quirks of the players. I know squat about Sidonia (my hubby was familiar), but I liked how it looked and the questions raised. Plus as a sci-fi lover, I enjoy that subgenre of the floating communities in space….

We’re also following Haikyuu! Seems like lately the sports anime draw us, as we just finished up Kuroko 2 and still watch Yowamushi Pedal and Daiya no A.

28. Aga says:

Hi, I would be glad if you could have a look at my Etsy shop. I’m offering anime/ manga theme pendants Feel free to contact me for your custom image pendant too!

29. Arno says:

I will follow Fuuun.

That’s the true ecchi spirit : not fanservice, but lots of embarrassing situations.

A great laugh after a full day’s wok !

30. aeralure says:

I’m going with Mekakucity Actors, Knights of Sidonia and Mushishi. I’m iffy on Soredemo right now, but I may give it a few episodes.

31. OptimismJam says:

Just loving your reviews! Always fun to read them. Right now, enjoying all the new animes and the ones that caught my eye are No Game No Life and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Very great opening episodes for me so far.

32. roonike says:

Hitsugi no Chaika made me sad, they omited WAY TOO MUCH INFO on the first episode and it was so fucking rushed, literally first 2 chapters of the manga rushed as fuck(first chapter has 66 pages and 2nd haves 40+)

33. meow says:

Stuff that caught my eye:

Mushishi – psgel’s has already said everything that needs to be said about why this should be followed. XD

Bokura wa kawaisou – Tickles me a lot. Lovely art style, colorful characters and fun atmosphere. Also like how they throw in manga-like mini-phrases into the convos. Good for those trying to pick up reading Japanese.

Black Bullet – Morbidly compelling, although I may drop this if it gets much more depressing. Reminds me quite a bit of Walking Dead cos there are serious questions raised on the worth of the surviving community.

Knights of Sidonia – Interesting international mix in the staff list. I’m used to seeing Koreans and maybe some Chinese but there’s a whole mix in this time. This might be some kind of international collaboration of some significance. Excellent song by Angela although the lyrics make me sad. Feels a bit like the opposite of Gargantia, in terms of atmosphere, although I’d put them both in the same genre.

Mekakucity Actors – 2 Shaft series airing simultaneously? I like Nisekoi so I’m giving this one a shot too.

Customize
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.
Usually when you go camping in Yellowstone or Yosemite the tourist industry kills those places, like I'd be on a rowboat and see cars, cabins, and people from a long ways offshore. The Adirondacks are nice because their building codes mandate construction to be hidden behind trees.
@Bam My favorite camping spot is the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I went there probably 4-7 times and never get tired of the place. No, I don't have any posts for now, but for future reference consider combining episodic reviews when you get behind. I.E. Episode 6-8 Review
Bam
Also there's a reader in the comment section of Berserk 07 who wants to know if we have a notification system. I vaguely remember a widget that links the site to a FaceBook page. If anybody knows how that works, or if it's still functional, please shed some light on the matter for him/her. Thx.
Bam
@Aidan @K-off @Mario either one of y'all has any post near completion? I'm almost done with Berserk 08 and as previously mentioned, really prefer not to put two reviews up back to back. I think the length of them is already a hassle for some to get thru, let alone two right after eachother. I think it hurts the viewership, but if nothing's on hand then I'll guess I'll just finish up and post mine.
Bam
@Kaiser: I was actually camping near a mountain, but aren't all mountains somewhat holy? That could be my bias tho, since I was raised on the Alborz mountain range, and for me there is something therapeutic about the mountain air.
Yes! Looks like the shoutbox is fixed and not deleting posts after 24 hours anymore!
lol Or you could live in the shitty suburb where I do and spend your time just waiting for when your internet connection randomly cuts out twice a month or as it has the past few days two-three times a day.
Basically bam went up the Holy mountain .
@Mario: ....guy I know who loves war films and I've ended up inadvertedly/un-intentionally gotten him to buy some fucked up Polish horror film that just happens to be set in WW2. lol he's going to be pretty freaked out when he watches it.
Bam
Everything been cool here? Hehe ... looks like I conveniently missed all the hard parts.
Bam
@Mario: thx m8. I wish I could just make it down to Rio on a whim, but then again, I took a much-needed vacation, so I ain't complaining.
Welcome back Bam, I was already convinced that you went to Rio for screwing around. Lol
Bam
Also I apologize for the absence. I was gone somewhere without reliable internet access, and looking back I should've gave a notification.
Either way, I'm back now, and will be jumping on getting those Berserk reviews out as soon as possible.
Bam
Man looky here with the renovations; I like it.
@Vyse: wow. So how was the sites then back from 2005?
@Kaiser: and what is that sh!te you're talking about?
VyseLegendaire
<— fixed
VyseLegendaire
<— me
VyseLegendaire
Ive been a reader since 2005
Haha, this'll be fun lol
.....that feeling when you keep going on about a show or film but fail to give all the details...and someone goes out and buys it not knowing the full extent of the mad shit their in for...s--t lol
any reader from 2005 here....
@Mario: This guy seems interesting: https://letterboxd.com/director/tsai-ming-liang/
@Mario: Hmm, not familiar with him.
I really really loved in the mood for love, alot, it emotionally effected me. I even watched it three times.
@Mario: I couldn't seem to enjoy any of Zimou yangs films apart from Hero, which had some pretty creative fight scenes. I've seen the story of Ricky and some of John-woos films but they were more just silly entertaining exploitation films.
Don't know if you know the Vietnamese-French Tran Anh Hung. His works are stunning too. If you want to check out East-Asian cinema don't forget to check him out.
@Kaiser: Yeah, but Park Chan Wood changed the ending, so the author insisted that the Handmaiden is more "inspired" than "based". The third chapter is the weakest part for me
@Mario: Of interest, The handmaiden was based on some British book/tv show.
I need to completely re-evaluate/get into more Chinese cinema.
Doesn't look like I've seen anything by Hong-sang-so.
My favourite Korean actor is song-kang-ho.
Theres an anime convention over here in Dublin in three months. Although I haven't been to one in years.
I'm heading to anime convention today. Normally I don't really care about those conventions but I figure I'd come this year to see the taste of it. The only hassle is it's 3-hour drive, which gonna be a pain when I drive back after a long day being there.
Bong Joon-ho, on the other hand,is incredible at writing. His scripts are often layered, sharp and best of all fuses many tones/ genres into one coherent whole. The best thing about this Korean New Wave directors is they all have very distinctive voices. But my favorite director isn't the ones that you list. That would be Hong Sang Soo. I just love his simplicity style so much.
@Kaiser: Park Chan Wood is a master of visual. Whenever I come to his movies I expected to be blown-away by his visual. He can write compelling characters (he loves his characters) as well but his screenplays in general are weak. You can watch his lesser effort "I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay" and see many things that made him good/bad. That's the movie I feel he made without the care of the critic
afgm
afgm
@koff: Yeah I can help. But midterms/finals are coming up so I can't dedicate to much time.
I always felt Bong-jong and Chang-dong , kim-di-duk and Kim-jee-woon were better than Park-chan-wook. Oldboy did have that one hell of an ending, so did lady vengeance but I feel that those are the bits people tend to remember and the rest was good but not great.
For anyone that doesn't regularly browse /r/anime, Godzilla is apparently getting an anime adaption by Polygon Pictures with Urobuchi involved. Should be good.
Well, I climbed to rank 52 in Overwatch with Tracer alone. Looking forward to season 2 already, but I do wish Blizzard had somehow implemented a single-player storyline since the lore in Blizzard titles is always so vast. Kind of surprised they didn't make one with Overwatch.
@Kaiser Watch Train to Busan if you can. Me neither, I can't dig too deep into Korean films due to the language barrier. Sure would be convenient to have Vincent recommending films again.
@afgm Hey, are you still interested in helping out with the site? At this point I'm looking over the site's code & doing some rewriting - if you think you can help, let me know.
@Mario I hadn't watched Old Boy for 6 years when I got to I Saw the Devil and it was out of mind for me, so you may be right.
@K-Off: maybe it was just me but I was underwhelmed by I Saw the Devil. The point it trying to match was similar to OldBoy, and Oldboy's execution was way better (OldBoy's one of my favorite movie). Yes, the soundtracks of OldBoy, Lady Vengeance are exceptional. I still listen to The Last Waltz after all those years...

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]