Posted by SuperMario on 11 May 2016 with categories: Anime Reviews, World Animation

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular in their mainland and some parts of Asian countries. With the success of Kung Fu Panda (half-produced by China) and its power on movies industry (China IS the main market for feature films now), it is worth it to take a look on this current trend and see how they are different from anime.

While my fellow bloggers are the ones who more specialize in Games and Manga, I will be the one who cover World Animation (by that I mean anything animated other than anime and American big studio animation – they got way too much coverage already). Like majority of you guys I am not from China, my Chinese is as good as my Japanese (which is to say NONE), so this is actually goddamn difficult to look for titles, and the information I could find are sacred here on top of that find a suitable sub for it, most of them does not even have an English name, thus the title and the synopsis that I give you here are just a rough translation. So behold. This is our very first attempt to cover the animation of china.

Part 1: Computer Animated Wuxia shows

This is a staple genre in Chinese animation, the combination of modern revisit of traditional wuxia genre, together with the rise computer animation and the boom of RPG online game in China make this a very distinctive animation genre, and the fighting scenes are somewhat a trademark for Chinese animation shows. Here are the 6 shows in no particular order:

The Legend of Qin (时明)

Qin's Moon

Let begin with a blast, The Legend of Qin, or Qin’s Moon, is the most popular show right now, both in their mainland and in international appeal. As of this writing the season 5 have been aired and the live action series are underway, and that happens for a reason. The first episode introduces a young boy (Jing Tiaming) and his master (Ge Nie) are ambushed in the desert. After fending the enemy troops off, Ge Nie is injured and is found, along with Tianming, by the Royal Tribe of Chu. Set in the rich time of Qin dynasty, Qin’s Moon already had a strong backstory. I like both the two main characters, and the story while dense at times, so far is easy to follow. If you want to check out the Chinese animation, make this one your first.

Swords of Half of a Man-ho (剑豪之半面)

Swords of Half of a Man-ho

The story seems to be about a young man who eventually become a master swordsman, but we didn’t learn that in this first episode. There’s already a fighting scene in the very beginning of the show, which we don’t even know who the main characters are so why do we care? There is a lot of action but the choreography is clumsy at best and stupid at worst. I mean there is an assassin and she easily took down our main character, but then for no reason she would turn her back on him so he could punch her in the back, all that so the assassin would lose it and tried to kill our main character, but ends up that his lover’s got knifed. WHAT? The second half of this busy episode we have a chance to see a mysterious girl, a talkative boy and again a fight at the end. None of them act like normal people. Even the main protagonist just come off as bland. The only point I can give is the above average character design.

Shalen ()

Shalen

The story is about a young boy called ZhanChi, who fated to become “one of the heroes who hold the fortune of the world” (by a weird mark in his left hand). When he was 5, his sister got kidnapped by a monster, people called them ling. He promises he will recuse his sister back someday. When he was 15, his second mother finally lets him go. This first episode plays like a prelude, telling us a story of Zhanchi before he began his adventure. While this may feel like your typical plot: he wants to get out of the house to join the heroes gang, his second mother puts him off every time by any means necessary, even to trick him. What makes it a success is its focus on the mother/ child relationship, yes she is not his own mother, but she loves him all the same and she just scare if there something will happen to him out there. I love how the show places the emotions here. His mini adventure is enjoyable as well. This is a winner for me.

Spirit of the Main Rivers and Lakes – Hua Jianghu Zhi Ling Zhu (画江湖之灵主)

Spirit of the Main Rivers and Lakes

There are two types of people, one for the living things, and the other for the dead to do bad. Through a series of events and learned of the existence of psychic and spiritual master of believers, and to eliminate their exposure to the responsibility of the mysterious organization ” Yu Ling group.” With a pile of mystery cracks, they get closer to the truth. The story is a classic wuxia, but the animation was so great and the production design was excellent that I can’t help but enjoy it anyway. The fighting scenes technically is among the best of its genres, every fight is so breathtaking and awe-inspiring, like some of the more intense action scenes, the screen would turn to black and white. There were fast forward and slow motion as well. In other word the actions are as in your face as you would get, but because they do it right, it still an impressive work. The story itself is a bit busy, with already many side stories and a huge casts of characters, but in all this could be a fun adventure and I’m eager to check out more of this.

Magical Legend (太乙仙魔)

Magical Legend

Here comes the worst show I see out of this guide, not simply because it’s bad (it is), it’s just uninspiring and will likely to be forgotten anytime soon. The episode follows a young female warrior, who pretty much unsure about herself and what she is good at. Her master, decided to go back to her past lives for whatever purposes it might be. They tried to cute-out the two main characters (by having the main girl standing in a branch of big tree and having cute music for the majority of runtime). The fighting between them are stupid and I don’t even care about why they want to learn her past’s life. And this training ends with the master hold the girl gently in his arms. What the heck? NO NO NO

Zetianji (择天记 )

Zetianji

A boy orphan Chen Changsheng, left the master and brothers, with a marriage promises to an unknown girl. During this stunning journey, he met a handsome bearded wealthy son, received a mysterious lovely girl as an apprentice, and they were forced to fight with the dragon and all the mysterious force. This is the only hand-drawn wuxia from this list, but the art style is so familiar that I have to include it here anyway. This is a slightly above the middle line of quality here. The two young boys make up for the main casts are different in terms of personality and their gestures are fun to watch. One of them is arranged to marriage an unknown girl, and it seems like the girl will be the main cast as well. I like what I see so far so I could give this a second look.

~SuperMario~

1. invinciblegod says:

I usually can’t really get into wuxia because I don’t really like period pieces unfortunately. I usually like modern or futuristic settings.

As for the thumbnails, I’m guessing this is why american 3d animation adopted an even more cartoony feel than these ala clone wars. These pictures look so uncanny valley-ey. But I haven’t seen it in motion so I will withhold final judgment until I actually see it.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

Honestly, the term itself almost put me off. I have mixed feeling with CG, don’t really care about wuxia, and don’t even like Chinese, but well it worth a watch. The 3D animation here looks more like gameplay for me. Although only Legend of Qin have english subs, if you just want to check out the animation, you can watch them online just by pasting their chinese titles to Youtube.

• Wicked says:

Reikenzan, the show nobody watched or licensed last season, is kind of a Wuxia, although it’s been net-novelized. It’s based on a Chinese online novel and was actually only co-produced by Deen, the other producer is a Chinese online platform giant Tencent

• Wicked says:

Wuxia is a pretty culturally niche genre, but it’s one very much resonates with the Chinese people, because of a lot of it is ingrained with Confucian/Taoist values. It’s kind of like Japanese with their period dramas involving Samurais. Honestly, most of these are pale impression of what the genre can do, they are the equivalent of light novel adaptation anime, because most of them are net-novel adaptations except for The Legend of Qin.

In case you haven’t figured it out, I’m Chinese and is very much fluent in the language.

• invinciblegod says:

“and don’t even like Chinese”

lol that sounded racist.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

lol, by that I mean the language. I’m more interested to learn Korean and Japanese so to speak

• Wicked says:

As a native Chinese speaker who dabbled with both languages through American university courses(IE, I learn them through English), I can tell you no matter which one you pick, the hurdle is significantly higher than learning another western language.

I ultimately picked Japanese for my foreign language credit because I can read kanji and I can pronounce Japanese more naturally than Korean, but both languages are encumbered by very complex grammar structures, Korean more so than Japanese. For example, usage of particles is very natural if you know any of the 3 major far east languages but often troubles English speakers because they don’t use particle the same way. While Chinese has very little grammatical rules compare to Korean and Japanese, it’s much easier to make the grammatical leap from Chinese than from English.

• Wicked says:

There is probably a Chinese animation for you, It’s not CG, it’s sci-fi it’s called chu feng bee

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

That’s good. I need a native Chinese speaker to double-checking all the titles I got here. As of now they are just Google translated and frankly I’m not so sure if they are on spot.

Yeah, there are 4 parts of this guide so there will be more to come. Both Reikenzan and Chu Feng Bee will appear on next part.

2. Wicked says:

Overall, Chinese animation has a lot to catch up, most of what I’ve watched, the qualities of the show are uneven at best, with pretty obvious flaw in many ways even with the best works. It is something they are rapidly trying to develop, which is good and bad at the same time. The good thing is that there’s a lot of platforms for people to present their creative idea. People write net-novels, web-toons, full-fledge mangas, and if it’s popular they animate it. However, the rapid commercialization also strangles the organic development of the creative talents. You see things very heavily rely on tropes and formulas, voice and direction talent yet to reach maturity, most are rather amateurish. The budget is also an issue because most of these show are made cheaply

Eventually, they’re going to make something up to par with anime, because they are increasing in volume rather quickly, but they’ve yet to produce an industry changing work.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

Well, that’s an impression I got based on watching those episodes as well, but it’s great to have an opinion from your the point of view, an insider. My view is more like an outsider looking in :)

3. martin says:

I’m curious are you going to cover european animation as well? I’m super interested in their future in the animation industry.

• martin says:

actually nevermind you did say WORLD animation.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

Yes I do, for now just by reviewing their European animated feature films (like Le Tableau, A Cat in Paris, The Red Turtle, Chico y Chita, etc). This will not likely happened this season though, maybe the next one.

In the future I do have a really ambitious plan for World Animation, but it would take a lot of time/effort to go through as well, so don’t hold your breath on it yet. :)

I really love the French and Russia animation btw.

• martin says:

Awesome, I’ll look forward to your coverage.
          Not too familiar with Russian animation, although I’ve seen bits of the Russian version of Winnie The Pooh and The Jungle Book, both of them are visually striking. I do follow French animation a lot, really excited for The Red Turtle.

4. Edgar Bates says:

Hi every one, here every person is sharing such knowledge, therefore it’s nice to read this blog, and I used to pay a visit this webpage daily.

I want a muv-luv anime that isn't a spinoff.
Because I'm too lazy to read the VN.
I always get those funny looks when I say Saya is my favourite VN.
I must ashamedly say that I did read Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o, if only just to read a VN that was all about the ecchi/H.
I've also played phenomeno.
@Anon: Been meaning to get into that.
I've played sharin, maou, saya, cartharga, fate/stay night, swan song, planeterium, narrcissu, Eden, both kara no shoujo games, some of fata morganna, some of comyu.
I don't know forest either.
I didn't like one thing I read by the ever 17 author, it kept annoying me to get any worthwhile end out of it. Even though I liked the premise.
@Sash: I enjoy the stories VNs offer, Aidn recommended me a share, but while I've liked them, the format I needed to get used to and yes the time commitment.
Not key, but Phenomono or narrcisu seems safer a bet, unless you hate horror then avoid phenemono.
I don't like any of the Jun Maeda Key melodrama anymore, but there are all ages versions of their visual novels.
I believe Aidan still needs to read kara no shoujo 2 . I don't know what Ignarock or sharnoth is . What is the name of the post(or was it pre) apocaypse shoujo-ai visual novel?
@Amagi: I played saya first because of story, atmosphere, short length.
Actually based on his reactions, recommend him the freeware stuff.
@Sash: I was also going to say I was worried about recommending any visual novel then. I said kira kira, sharin and g senjou because they seemed safer, but there is H scenes in them, but not tonnes.
@Sash https://vndb.org might be useful. You can search with tags there, including technical aspects like "voiced", "moving mouths" and stuff like that.
Sash
Or rather, none hentai
Sash
I also tend to be open to most genres, but please keep it PG...
lone = long
Thinking back I am pretty sure Saya no Uta actually was my first VN. It was popular back then and rather short so it was kind of a good entry level VN (for me), same as with narcissu and Planetarian which I read right after that. Think my first lone VN was either Ever17 or Sharin no Kuni.
Sash
@AidanAK47: Yes, it such a huge time commitment! That's the sole reason I don't share your sentiment. As for what my taste is... I don't know since that was my first ever Visual Novel. For now I would like ones with voice actors in it.
I should really read more stuff I haven't read any VN the last year for some reason.
Speaking of VNs I wish one of this utsukushii series would get an anime adaption someday. Maybe Sharnoth or Inganock. I loved Forest as well which had a similar style and other stuff with Meteor involved (of courise including the Fate series).
Allow me to re-phrase in layman's English: "If he could handle something as explicit or dark as saya no uta we could suggest it if he thought he was up for it, he could read it at some point if he thought he could handle it, sash, do you think you can handle something messed up like that, if not, perhaps you should play sharin no kuni instead"
It isn't even annoyingly edgy to me. Just why even bother watching/reading it at all was my reaction.
I've seen bits of the ovas for euphoria, I stress bits of them. Not something I'd dwell on or bother to watch more fully, it went too far to where it just produced a numbing effect where I just don't react to it, to where it neither becomes shocking or laughable.
The reason I mentioned tolerance level was because I wanted him to respond to confirm if he cold handle those darker games because hell if I know what he's able for.
Also kirakira is another safe recommendation.
Thats why I stated sharin and maou were safer recommendations.
Jesus Kaiser, why not chuck Subihibi and Euphoria on top of that if you are so determined to traumatise him. None of those should be first time recommendations.
Ideally we could recommend him saya no uta, kara no shoujo or Swan song, but we don't know his tolerance level. Based on that Sharin no kuni and G senjou maou might be the safest recommendations.
Though I'm wondering if he played a version without the H-scenes.
Aiyoku no Eustia and Comyu adaptation and full translation WHEN.
@Sash, That's good to hear. Also fair play on playing it as it is a pretty huge time commitment. If you haven't I would recommend checking out other visual novels as you might find something that would be more for you. I can even throw out some recs if you are interested.
*allows us
I will probably watch shojo kageki dubbed.
I've fallen behind on shoujo kageki and sirius.
....was lovingly semi-oneric.
That kids backstory is so depressing in happy sugar life. Nail pulling scene messed me up. I also watched the new satsuriku no tenshi episode, this is definately going at a quicker place, they skipped a whole character and by doing so, also a flashback involving Cathy. Though I'm not too bothered by it as it also us to get to the big bad quicker and focus on Zack/Rachel. First bit of this episode
This is Sash by the way, name keeps changing back to anonymous
@Kaiser-Eoghan: yes... I meant that...
Talking about being born in a digital age huh?
@Kaiser, for my old roommate maybe. I dont think ive ever bought a magazine in my life
@Sash: Do you mean visual novel?
Admit it Lenlo, you would buy that magzine with Ash and Eiji on it.
Sash
@AidanAK47: i have recently read the light novel of Fate Stay Night and, though I don't share your sentiment, I do see why you love it so much
Sword art is one of those things that everywhere you look you'll see it hated, yet in rolls in the money.
Well, its hated by certain parts of the community. Usually western parts.
@Mitsuko, yep we are well aware. But as an FYI, SAO is hated heavily in the anime community. So another season isn't exactly a cause for celebration but rather a dejected sigh.
Banana Fish, back on track. Also, this ED is my favorite of the season.
Mitsuko
@Lenlo i agree that was one of the best i cried in that part
Oh I know it is. Doesnt mean I have to acknowledge it. Mothers Rosario was the only SAO arc I actually liked, and Kirito had almost no involvement in it
@Mitsuko: Its gone on for too long.
Mitsuko
i dont know if anyone said this already or that you know but sword art online is coming out with a season 3 in october right
Adimar
i miss Shino god i hope there is another season were she gets out of her coma and haseo and Shino get together if that happens then god it will be amazing
Don't think I brought this up, but I've only seen one season of Bleach, random episodes of DBZ, few episodes of Naruto and two volumes of one piece, most I got was 32 episodes of hunter x hunter.
Another example is I can't get into most shounen because it isn't seinen. Too often I can't separate shounen jump stuff from each other in my head even if I know they are different.
I suppose I do experience exceptions , I could probably find one dark moe show that'd work for me like Happy sugar life, but in general I utterly despise mixing moe cute girl antics with horror.
@Anon: Its because often the time travel/reset thing is used in those stories as an extra lives/chances cheat.
I can agree that, largely, avoiding a genre or style you dont like is fine. It just means you will miss the occasional exception. Because there is always an exception that fits the mold, but is good enough you enjoy it anyways.

Like im not normally a fan of rom-coms or melodrama, but I enjoyed Toradora. Never would have watched it under normal circumstances either
@Aidan, Well Evangelion was a bad example as I had read a bit of the manga version at one point.
A better example would have been Steins Gate which I avoid for the simple reason that time travel stories annoy me, especially if they involve changing the past.
Thing is though, I don't agree that this is any different from avoiding fanservice or "standard crap", even those can surprise rarely.
There were some I knew I wouldnt like and tried anyways, like Clannad, but some that pleasantly surprised me like Space Dandy.

@Aidan, yeah. I had to experience it. I just... there was so much wrong in the episode I am having a hard time writing it up without feeling like im just ragging on it non stop
@Anon, I don't really argee with that mindset as I feel you don't really know if something is for you until you see it for yourself. Not saying you have to plough though it even if you hate it. But giving it at least one episode I think is needed. Well unless it's something like a fanservice show or standard crap.
@Lenlo, I was thinking about warning you when I seen you got excited about that but decided it would just be better to see for yourself.
Happens to me with plenty of things, for example I refuse to touch Evangelion since I know enough about it say that I have no interest.
There has to be a moment where you just accept somethings just not going to click for you.
For example I will never watch darling in the Franxx because of kill la kill.
Have you reached the point where you no longer care when you hate something popular or refuse to watch it out of sheer disinterest?
Do you all think there comes a time, where you get to where you know you don't need to even bother watching a certain show because you know yourself enough to know there is no hope it'll be your thing? To where you simply pass on it, not even watching the first episode.
@Mario: The Hanebado death stare is real, the eyes THE EYES man the eyes =O
Stupid steins; gate, why must it bully Lenlo. Although I've not watched the episode yet....am I right in saying things may be heading in the direction we feared?
*sigh* Steins;Gate physically hurt me this week. I am disappoint
In general I tend to turn my mind off to scientific inaccuracy in fiction and because honestly, I have a fairly poor memory for much of the facts.
I remember school biology classes, couldn't bring myself to cut an animal heart/frog/worm and tapped out of doing it. I remember being told, someone thinking it was all a laugh and they threw one of the hearts into a bush somewhere on the school grounds.
Then again, biology is amongst my least favorite subject :(
@Vonter: I'm still following Cells at Work but I have long since given up on making a real life connection. But let's see, i think your first statement was right but I'm not sure about the second one
I've been watching Cells at Work! And I'm not sure if I get the analogy of an allergy. The allergens makes the body counter act with a chemical that in turn makes the body over release another chemical that irritates and produces sneezes. And an steroid counteracts the allergy by breaking down in a small degree that section of they body?
Honestly, im not sure if its intentional or not, because the rest of the english in the paper is actually pretty good.
The Dairy Cod? Oh yes
Did you happen to notice the L/R error/ no differentiation in the top left screenshot in your banana fish post? Sayss Dairy Cape cod instead of daily cape cod.
*these
I keep listing to those mixtape and vaporwave things on youtube very frequently.
Oh so that was the name of that show where I saw Urasawa and Itou being interviewed.
Look up Manben on youtube. Its basically where they do an hour long episode on a Mangaka, film their process, and talk about their philosophies while making it
If your interested in the manga process
Now that I remember, there was a part where they were praying for the idols. Someone said it has become like a pseudo-religion.
I'd love to see some documentaries about anime/manga and more about Japan .
Adding to what I said though, as bad as Japans idol thing is, the music industry everywhere has its awfully sleazy side.
In a way, I sort of feel like I can't fully judge the guy who paid for 100s of idol concerts....when admittedly I've spent my fair share over the years on hentai.
I saw that documentary I talked about a few comments ago, because the post would have been 500 words long, I put it on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/D7CuaA4F
I dunno, I quite enjoy the characters. Endeavor had an arc recently that was particularly good.
Actually I want to specify on that comment, I'm not looking down on hero academia, more suggesting the broadness of its appeal.
In terms of planet with, I've only seen the first episode of it.
I have found though that Academia, much like titan, is partially an anime for people who don't watch anime.
On Hero academia, on my end it would probably be more accurate to say that its not a case of hating it, moreso not my thing.
I don't hate Hero Aca. My problem is that it really isn't doing anything new. Every beat traced from shounen legacy. It's executed well no doubt and I am sure animation wise it trumps old shounen. And if it can avoid the trap of every long running shounen of going past it's due then it could end up the most polished. But it's still a new dog doing old tricks.
But in all seriousness. Regarding Planet with, sometimes you have to care for whats been subverted before you can get anything out of the subversion.
@Aidan: If you don't like my one-liners, you should sea my ocean liners, they're practically to drown for.
On Fate GO, yeah I really think that some banners are more generous than others. Hoping the Prisma banner is generous because I need to get together the Emiya family.
Really? I quite like Hero Aca, its probably my favorite current shounen, granted this current arc isnt the best. Granted I also keep up with the manga so know how it all plays out.
And subversion in a good way. Not like Fate Extra over here which subverts expectations by having the endboss leave the show offscreen but instead subverting to keep you on your toes while keeping the satisfaction of a well conculded fight. That moment when he pulled out the clog for a finisher was unexpected, hilarious and amazing.
@Amagi, Yep. To me Boku hero is how to use tropes and settings wrong, essentially recycling them wholesale. Planet With uses them but uses them to subvert your expectations when you think things will go according to the trope but NOPE.
UGH.
I am close to banning you for that pun.
Everyone is watching planet with....
......

....WITH each other
I'm watching Planet With!
We all know the cliffhanger fight between Takashi and * +revelation of you know what wouldn't have happend before episode 10 in any other anime. This show manages the time perfectly and it doesn't feel rushed.
It's exactly how I want a show: you are allowed to use tropes and generic settings but be creative, switch the roles, turn stereotypes upside down and make every episode unique and non-repetitive. It's what this show is doing and it's doing this perfectly.
@Aidan: I love it too. I am pretty surprised how few people are watching this considering that it is still shounen'ish and how hyped Bisquithammer is.
Ehhh-? Now got summer Marie with 3 quartz in FGO and Martha with 12 a few days ago Aidan was right about the second summer rate up banner.
Such a shame that nobody seems to be watching Planet With.
Damn, Planet with pretty much concluded and there is still six episodes left. This episode was damn satisfying and it seems the training wheels are off here..
How do you expect men and women to act when they reach the end of economic growth
The idol industry is just a reflection of the broken social contract/financial repression
It'd be interesting if the documentary talks about the effect on men as well, that kind of obsession driven culture can't be healthy.
Still remember that idol (was it akb48?) who filmed herself crying on film with a shaved head because she was caught with a boyfriend
Also planning on picking up A drifting life soon, biographical manga about the 60s gekiga manga period.
Going to watch some Japanese documentary tomorrow that goes into wide detail about how terrible their idol industry is and the effect it has on women.
The only thing I really liked out of Ahin was the villain. That dude was quite intimidating, running around shooting himself every time he got tranqed.
And though I didn't mention it in the review it is rather annoying how the series shafted both Tamamo and Hakunon.
@K-Off, It was a series that had good ideas, I give it that. But it was a mighty dull watch. Some better protagonist could have helped a bit at least.
Speaking of which, I picked up an Astolfo plushie at anime expo and this alone is making me want to play FGO
Yea Ajin flows really strangely and there's really no overarching story, plus nobody has much motivation to do anything. But that's also its appeal, for people interested in an insane antagonist who wants nothing but chaos
Ah Fate Extra sounds disappointing, I STILL haven't watched any of the series and was hoping it'd be a good entry
Ajin is one of those things I just ended up completely forgetting about, although for pretty much no reason.
Also: Ajin is getting pretty freaking crazy with the recent chapters, I love how Sato is so Joker-like and he's actually succeeding at every thing he's doing
The manga is fantastic, feels pretty quaint as comedy manga go nowadays. Also the chapters flow really well with its comedic timing, love the pacing
I'm actually intending to move on to the manga sometime, as I was using the anime as an introduction/taster for it.
Yeah I find Grand Blue just isn't working for me like the manga did. I feel like it needed better animation and a better director. I thought the Gintama director would do good but didn't take into account that with such a long running series he's likely accustomed to doing comedy within a small budget.
Feels like manga with great comedic timing don't translate very well animated, or maybe it's because I've already read the same joke before the adaptation
Woops forgot i wasn't logged in on mobile
So far in the season pretty sad to see Grand Blue not living up to the manga
(i also updated my email on my profile, if you need me for anything let me know there)
Ahaha nah, its the real McCoy, last time we talked was about the backend server iirc
...hmmm is this a fake Psgels situation I wonder.
Ive been too hooked on Azur Lane lately
Hello everyone, feels like its been a while!
Budget really shows in grand blue now, I wasn't really into the first half of this episode, but by the second half it got me laughing again.
@Lenlo: Including shots AT Mayuri =)
And yet, somehow I will find a way to someway forgive the show as hard as I can be on it I can never be 100% mad at the series.
And if it cops out with Mayuri's death, I agree. I wont be happy
@Kaiser, I mean, there are OTHER Mayuri shots I could have posted this week
Godammit Kana Hanazawa, just destroy me already OWO;;;
Be sure to skip past the credits in this weeks satsuriku no tenshi as there's a scene after them. Also Btfo Cathy, this was the part in the manga where I was surprised what Rachael and Zack did in this episode.
@Lenlo: Posting those shots of best girl looking sad =<.
@Lenlo: I'm being cynical about it because I don't want to be overly disappointed is such a cop-out occurred.
And it would probably bother me somewhat if the show decided to cop-out.
As much as I got the feels from that final scene with Mayuri and yes, I would, for the sake of drama, wish for it to remain that way. I'm not entirely convinced that the series won't pull a convenient twist to cancel it out, even though now it seems impossible.
@anon: Shinsekai sorayori shiratori.
sora yori
Lentahlo? Ill take it
@Mario: Apparently this guy gets compared to Wong-Kar-Wai: https://letterboxd.com/director/lou-ye-1/

Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight – 06 [Their Path of Triumph]

With this episode, it becomes clear that Revue Starlight is less about Karen and more about the development of the entire cast. This week we get into the insights of Kaoruko and Futaba through the former perspective. Although spoiled, bratty and not-at-all serious about the Revue audition, I very much welcome her as a person […]

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro – 07 [Convenience Store Chio-chan – Chio-chan and the Duel – Remnants of That Day]

This episode of Chio-chan sure brings back my memory. I was one of those stupid boys who played that zapping butt game (among other stupid games, like stick a pen where my friends would sit) and let me tell ya, it hurts like hell. To the point whenever I listen to this song I would […]

Banana Fish – 7 [The Rich Boy]

This is it, this is what I needed this week. Banana Fish has become my weekly dose of great drama. This week we meet up with Max’s family, Shorter learns just how terrible gangs are, and we meet a new villain. Lets jump in! Starting off with the general stuff, what blew me away the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 18 [Altair of Translational Symmetry -Translational Symmetry-]

This must be what a disappointed father feels like. You want to believe the best, but they just keep letting you down. This week, Steins;Gate 0 has let me down. Hard. Lets jump in. So, where to begin. First off, once again, Steins;Gate 0 proves its not an action series. So many still shots and […]

Planet With – 05/06[Paladin Break 1/Paladin Break 2]

Well that’s the end of Planet With and what a satisfying ending it was. I mean that final fight was something that would do Gurren Lagann proud and while there are some loose ends the majority of things were tied up quite nice…what do you mean this is only episode six? Hold on, there are […]

Hanebado! – 07 [I’ll Mop the Floor With Her]

I was wrong. I don’t enjoy this dead-eye expression of Ayano at all. It feels as though we’re watching a completely different Ayano characters compared to the first few episodes. That just means in no way I’m identified with this anti-hero version of Ayano. Again, I understand the intention. Ayano has that unhealthy obsession of […]

Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight – 05 [Is Sparkle Even Possible]

Revue Starlight is back to business this week with its bizarrely entertaining duel. In a way, this duel is a long way coming as this is one of the development I expected to happen sooner or later. What I didn’t expect, however, is the overall light-hearted tone with cartoonish paper cut-out design and Mahiru -Karen […]

Banana Fish – 6 [My Lost City]

Banana Fish, Banana Fish, does whatever a crime drama does. Drives a van, shoots a father-figure, lookout its Banana Fish. Simpson’s references aside, this week Banana Fish gives us a dark look into Ash’s past and both starts and completes our road trip. Lets jump in! Starting off, this week was probably the weakest so far […]

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro – 06 [Everyone’s Own Path – Chio-chan Eludes]

Chio-chan… well… doesn’t go well this week. Not necessary because of the reappearance of crash fanservice gags – which for now I pretty much roll with, but because it’s a replication of Chio-chan’s previous (and better) segments. It adds up with the fact that both segments this week feel longer than they needed be. Take […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]

Hisone to Masotan (2018 Spring) Review – 73/100

Coming off as one of my most anticipated anime out of this last Spring Season, based solely on staffs involved alone – after all, an original anime written by Mari Okada and produced by Bones (which I regarded as one of the best anime studio working right now) – I can’t help but feel let […]

Megalo Box – 86/100

Ah boxing, the quintessential manly man sport of beating each other unconscious. In anime, the sport was first forged in the fires of Ashita no Joe, and some would say later perfected by Hajime no Ippo. Both fantastic series in their own right. Both filled to the brim with epic clashes of wills, phenomenal characters and […]

Legends of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These Anime Review – 80/100

This is a remake of a series made way back when which is one of the most highly acclaimed anime in the medium. It is of legendary status but you would be hard pressed to recommend it as to many the barrier of entry is too high to consider. A 110 episode OVA with dated […]

Hinamatsuri (2018 Spring) Review – 79/100

Comedy anime doesn’t always yell out confidence, so imagine our hype when there’s one that been on everyone’s lips since the manga come out, Hinamatsuri. The show starts with simple premise: a girl with supernatural power unexpectedly drops into the house of a yakuza, hilarity ensues. This concept sums up very well the source humors […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]