Posted by AidanAK47 on 4 October 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Fate/Apocrypha

We have officially entered the second half of Fate/Apocrypha and with that comes a new opening and ending. The ending doesn’t leave much of an impression but I do prefer this opening over the first opening. The first opening just didn’t really suit my tastes while I prefer the melody of this opening more even if the visuals of it are rather generic. As far as Fate anime openings go for the whole franchise I still believe that Fate/UBW has the best ones. For the past few episodes this series has actually been pretty good but it seems that streak has ended with this episode. Part of the reason is that the long action sequence has ended and another part is that Sieg is getting center attention again. I swear this kid is like a fun black hole, where all fun is sucked out of a scene just by his very presence. I don’t like the fact that I keep harping on about this kid but he really is that much of a problem. His design is boring and every line of his dialogue is archetypal and systematic. He’s quest to discover his purpose is gone and with that he has essentially become the most predictable and expected hero character you can write up. I can almost predict his every line of dialogue in any given situation.

Made all the worse by his continued climb up the Gary Sue ladder with him now not only being a servant himself but also a Master. Not exactly a new thing in the Fate universe as Medea from the main series also managed to summon a servant despite being a servant herself. Though that came with it’s own problems, one of which looks to have been severely hand waved here. For now Amakusa Shirou is is sole master for almost the entirety of the red faction. Now it may be a question for some that if a mage can summon a servant during a Holy Grail War then why don’t they try to summon more than one? There are no rules against having more that one servant. However the problem is that it is akin to trying to drive three cars when you only have enough gas for one full tank. Sure you can drive them all if you divide up the gas between the three cars but all three will never drive as far as one can with a full tank. There are even cases such as with Shirou and Saber in the original where Shirou didn’t have enough mana to fuel her and as a result her abilities were handicapped. So the question is, how is Amakusa Shirou managing to fuel six servants(Including the newly defected Caster of Black) without them getting downgraded? Even taking into account that Shirou is a servant himself who also requires mana. He did mention about potentially being incarnated but even a previously incarnated servant needed an external source of mana. I don’t really expect an answer to this as this show has already made it clear the rules don’t really matter all that much.

I don’t like Riders master. No, I don’t mean that in the obvious way as she is a character meant to be disliked. What I mean is that I don’t like how horribly and lazily written she is. With such a large character roster it’s understandable that a couple of characters would get shafted when it comes to characterisation but this really is F grade villain writing. She gets off on torturing others and throwing them into despair and it’s just such childish reasoning. If you want to write a character who has that with better motivations and personality then take notes from DanganRonpa’s antagonist. Here I just realize that the entire purpose of this character is for this one scene, to give the protagonist a free servant and the satisfaction of seeing her head get chopped off by Mordred. Not saying that wasn’t satisfying to witness but come on, Shinji from Fate/Stay Night had better writing than this. I also find myself immensely irritated at what is the worst forced servant retreat in this series to date.

We have only four servants on the enemy side, defected Avicebron, Semiramis, Shirou and Karna. On the good side we have Joan of Arc, Atlanta, Chiron, Achilles and to top it all off Mordred enters the fray. Five against four and two fo the four are low tier servants. So why did Sisigou order a retreat? Karna is a problem, most definitely but he can be kept busy and while Semiramis has a territory boost she still would have trouble with a Saber. With Shirou being the master of all red servants, all the good side needs to do is kill him to win. So why did Sisigou order a retreat? Shirou may have command spells but Joan of Arc is a Ruler Class and thus has two command spells per servant. She can quite literally order all the servants on the opposing side to stand down. Not to mention getting into the hanging Gardens of Babylon again would be a hard task and facing Shirou with such advantageous odds again is even harder. So just why did Sisigou order a retreat? I just can’t understand it no matter how much I think about it.

1. Amagi says:

Now that Sieg is Astolpho’s master and Vlad is dead this series will probably focus on these two and Jeanne. My biggest fear is that Jeanne’s only reason for existence is to become Sieg’s pure girlfriend. I never liked these developments – I mean I always prefered Shirou with Rin or Sakura, but someone could argue that Shirou and Saber were a special case, considering Saber’s wish and past fits well to Shirou’s wish to safe everyone. Not to mention that they were living together for some time. But not only has Sieg barely interacted with Jeanne, he’s also, unlike Shirou, just an incredibly bland character.
    What makes matters worse is that Jeanne seems to be very irrelevant so far. All she’s doing is running. She never really interferes. She tries to, but she usually gets interrupted and the scenes switch to other servants who actually fight and do something. It seems like they made her way too tame, I know that people have this naive concept of holy maidens, but Jeanne is just too harmless and boring for a historical military woman who was famous for her patriotism.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

I too don’t like the Saber and Shirou pairing. They were always so awkward around each other. I personally prefered his playful interactions with Rin or his more natural realistionship with Sakura. Shirou and Sakura were pratically on married couple level with how they interacted with each other.

I argee that Joan is unfortunatly too passive in this conflict. She has done some things like preventing Berserker from blowing up the town but for the most powerful servent in the war she sure isn’t doing all that much when the rules are getting obliterated.

2. meow says:

Wholeheartedly agree. The marriage of visuals and song were really amazing there. That said, I think the songs for Apo weren’t bad. While most anisongs tend to have more broad market appeal, Egoist’s OP in particular felt like the theme song of a modern day stage production. The lyrics and general feel of the theme fit right to the story and tells a lot about what it’s about. The ED seems to be Jeanne’s theme song and perhaps speaks about her character and motivations.

not only being a servant himself but also a Master.

See this part is really interesting to me. You play FGO right? So you know about Demi-Servants? Shielder, El-Melloi II? Is Sieg something similar? A rough prototype of Mash that works cos of Sieg’s homunculus nature? Well, personally, I only consider him one of a vast cast of characters. Yep, he’s the plot device protag who wins in the end, but along the way, I’ll be paying great attention to everyone else. Well, they could pull another Selesia on us. Seriously did not even imagine that coming. >.>; I can totally hear Sieg’s last MEME words. Maybe he and Siegfried can say it in unison.

Hm. But he didn’t summon everybody. Each was summoned by a different Master. But Shirou managed to steal all their command spells, thanks to his Assassin’s magic smoke pot. That’s how I’m reading it.

I hope they flesh this out more too but I’m not too bothered by this myself. He’s a Ruler class, which means he was a Servant-level Grail War Referee, with all the inside information and root-level admin codes that entails. A whole different dimension from a church assigned referee like Kotomine Kirei or even his foster dad. Also, I’m pretty sure he used to be the Servant of the Einzberns, which means he probably has some homunculus/magical circuit knowledge of his own AND 60 years time to build up mana reserves. Gil and Kirei had 10 years to prepare. I didn’t see Kotomine having any issues maintaining Cu at his theoretical max power or Gil holding back on his NPs.

So why did Sisigou order a retreat?

Personally, I wonder as to who’s on who’s side here. It’s not really clear where Achilles and Atalanta stand. They only worked with Ruler temporarily to stop the undead. Karna too, I have a feeling he’s only temporarily submitting to Shirou in order to find a way to rescue his Master. He’s at a terrible disadvantage if Shirou has his command spells, his true Master as a hostage, along with his own Ruler-class powers, and being inside Assassin’s domain. If Karna is anything like his CCC counterpart, he’s likely to try to pull off a miracle to save the life of his Master. Let’s recap: They’re all inside the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Assassin’s personal domain, which I assume gives her bonuses like Lancer of Black’s on Romanian soil. Shirou would have each Red Servant’s (excluding Saber’s) usual 3 command spells plus his own ruler-specific 2 spells so that makes 5 to Jeanne’s 2? What’s the usual thing Masters do when their Servants look like they’ll rebel? And Avicebron was a willing collaborator with his army of instant mobs to distract them. Plus Shakespeare. I’m thinking that’s why Sisigou would order a retreat. He said to Saber, “It’s time!”, so this was all according to his plan.

Well, that and this series would be a lot shorter if they started the final climatic battle right now. XD Just my two cents.

I’ll be totally shocked if this happens, but personally, I see her relationship to Sieg as something like a foster mother or guardian. Remember, Sieg is a newborn with an expected lifespan of a Replicant. But he is a living person from the era, unlike the Servants, who are ghosts of the dead from another. So she’s likely to become his guide to making the best out of this situation.

She never really interferes.

She’s the Ruler-class of this Grail War, which means she’s kind of like the referee of a duel. She’s not supposed to interfere unless there’s a break in the rules. Remember Saber of Black vs Lancer of Red. It would take something like getting attacked or finding out a Servant from an old war becoming a Master in a different one and being in the position to use the Grail on his own to get her to intervene. Things are still developing though and she’s still vague about why she was summoned there in the first place. She’s set to work against Shirou for now but I’m really not sure how this story will go. She’s already expressed how she agrees with Shirou’s wish. It’s only his methods that is the problem. Much plot development for her to come, I assume.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Alright I will jump in to address a few things here but I do have a few other things I need to write up so I can’t go into everything.

The impression I got of demi servents was that they were people assuming the roles and powers of the servent. Not really turning into one like Sieg does. You could say he’s a flawed demi servent as his transformation is temporary when Mash’s and Wavers is perminant.

The question about summoning more than one servent was more to bring up that having more than one servent does not give any real advantage.

The Ruler class does not have a master so he didn’t serve the Einsberns(Rather funny considering the cheating of the Einsberns is what caused a Ruler to join the fight in the first place.) The rular isn’t privy to any cheat codes either, they just know the rules and have the command spells to reinforce them. As for Kirei, he did in fact have mana reserves to help him power both Cu and Gil…that was revealed at the end of the Fate Route and it’s not pretty. Basically all the orphans from the great fire of the Fourth holy Grail locked down in the crypt acting as Mana batteries. A fate that Shirou would also of had if he had not been adopted by Kerry.

Shirou is not a ruler class anymore. Otherwise the other servents would have wised up because you can’t hide that. So he has no Ruler command spells. Also you misunderstand, the Rular class gets two command spells per servent. There are 14 servents in this war which means that Joan gets a grand total of 28 command spells. Five were spent powering up the servents to take down dracula. But still far more than Shirou could ever have. Karna and Semiramis are powerful servents but fighting that many servents at once is still a hard task. The two red servents could eb disabled by Shirou’s command spells but again Joan can pretty much use her own command spells to counter his while shutting down his servents.

• meow says:

NP. I’m very happy to have someone to talk to about this as I want to clarify my own point of view on an admittedly potentially confusing subject. I never read the Fate Apocrypha novels myself and am playing FGO from Japan, untranslated. I’m only getting vague hints from the participants about their relationships. No real specifics on what happens in Apocrypha.

Hm. You might need to elaborate. I might be missing your point here. One thing about the original battle royale style of Grail War, is that you have great difficulty getting Master/Servant pairs to work together unless it was to everyone’s advantage. Case in point, Zero Caster’s NP that was threatening the whole city. It would be nice to steal other Servants from their Masters but like you mentioned, you’d need to be a great mage with a massive mana pool. Medea managed to pull this off in UBW, by having Assassin, Archer and Saber (WIP but still…). The main issue being each Master/Servant pairing having their own wish and the filled Grail having the power to grant only one pair of wishes? But if you could get that to work, well, you’d have a party of Servants able to synergize their strengths and cover their individual weaknesses and have something greater than the sum of their parts. In theory, anyway, if Amakusa could pull this off, he would have a team of allied Servants against a bunch of lone wolves.

I get Kirei’s method of mana collection but I’m not discounting Amakusa having his own method. Perhaps something not so gory. He might have his own source of homunculus batteries to draw on given his connection to the Einzberns or perhaps something more benign given that he has had 60 years to prepare, and doesn’t look like he has aged. He may well have gone off the deep end, given his willingness to kill off his fellow Saint, dismissing her as a “hindrance”. And about cheat codes, I was actually thinking about Ruler Command Spells, their ability to identify the true identity of servants on sight, their ability to receive visions, and Amakusa’s claim to Avicebron that he knew everything about the Greater Grail. Still not quite sure what this means. Amakusa still enjoys all these abilities so I’m pretty sure he’s still a Ruler, just like Gil was still an Archer with all his Archer abilities intact, in spite of having incarnated into a flesh body from the Black Grail.

Mmm…? Jeanne called it the instant she laid eyes on Amakusa. And Amakusa himself admitted that he was of the Ruler class too. In FSN, nobody could tell blondie was a Servant either..or that an 8th one was around. So maybe only Rulers can tell for sure. Maybe Amakusa did incarnate, like Gil, and that’s why other Servants couldn’t tell.

My favorites are Breaking the Waves (although I do need to rewatch it), and Melancholia (mostly because there's a hint of hope at the end). Dancer in the Dark is so stupid I freaking hate it. Dogville, AntiChrist are depressing and Shia Labeouf and the ending kill Nympho for me
@Kaiser: can't wait to see the House that Jack Built, although no release date here yet. Lars Von Trier is like depressing drugs. His stuffs are goddamn depressing
@Kaiser: she was like "omg MARIO, you're serious crying while watching a TV show?" well, she invaded my privacy and still had the guts to say that huh?
@Mario: Matt Dillon is great in it.
@Mario: Also, I saw the new Von Trier film, the horror one House that Jack built, its an acid black farce comedy that never takes away from the darker elements of it or the violence, even if it isn't as violent as people are saying. I loved it, even if it went off on tangents sometimes. My favourites by him are this, boss of it all, dancer in the dark and especially antichrist.
*their
@Mario: What was there reaction out of curiousity?
*Catch me right at the act
And visually it is immersive.
Made in abyss does depend currently on what its second season will deliver and it does start out in a way that you kind of need to make it passed the first few episodes to really get into it. But it flows better than the manga and THAT scene in the middle and Nanachi's backstory elevate the series to a higher level.
BabyMario as in like super Mario world 2 =O
=O BabyMario
True (shameful) story: when I watched the finale of Made in Abyss, my housemate opened the door to ask me sth and she saw me sobbing like a baby
Made in Abyss was really damn good
Sash
I just recently watched Made in Abyss.... and i cried real hard. I was worried that this story was going down the loli route at first... but how this show frightened me... and how it pulled at my heartstrings at the end.
Also being immortal would meant that I finally had enough time to finish all the games and series I am interested in.
@Kaiser: the hate against immortality is overrated, I would totally be okay with observing history for centuries.
@Kaiser: yeah, it’s supposed to be the final one that closes the whole franchise
Theres going to be another euphonium movie next year.
I say sit back and just let it wash over you if you get on board with its slow rhythm.
The soundtrack is pretty understated aswell.
Also quite naturalistic in how it uses/animates movements/body language.
I do wish that it went further than baiting the audience though.
*is in
I watched liz and the bluebird, the storybook segements give the film a certain magical feel to it, even if they feel obvious and on the nose, what this film achieves if in its silent, quiet and visual exposition rather than spoken words, its also more sensitive and low key than Euphonium.
Gah, one of the gutting things about being into historical stuff or stuff about things that happened decades ago, is that I'll never be a direct witness to it as it happened. It'll never hit me as someone who lived through it. I having all the fun second hand.
Thanks, Amagi. They look pretty cool
Why would I waste my time watching other people shopping or working. Not to mention that the scripted part turns everything worse than it usually is by shoving in terrible cringy moments everywhere to.. don't know. Entertain(?) the audience or something.
I mean unless you want info dumps you watch fiction and you watch that because it makes you indirectly experience adventures you can't have in real life. Even when fiction is down to earth it's usually about special situations like the MC becoming a professional runner like in Kaze ga or something.
@Kaiser: Me neither, especially because it seems to be the exact opposite of the reason why people consume media, and therefore fiction, in the first place.
They probably used these in Irozuko because they look like're part of some J-RPG town.
@Amagi: I never really understood why reality television ever became a thing or how someone could give it any form of attention.
Seems like they even have a wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo
@SuperMario: It's some specific type of house that only exist in Apulia. https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-437617-146.jpg - the whole historic disctrict looks like that
I shouldn't use so many brackets.
Trulli? What does that mean?
We have all kinds of international film festivals here. I watched Roma in the Latin Film Festival. Yeah that aspect I mus say that I feel lucky
There are Trulli in one scene of this week's Irozuko (after they entered that painting), how funny. I just visited this city (Alberobello) last month.
@Mario: You are lucky, Roma gets a one day limited release here for one time.
@Aidan: Just imagine going to the west of Ireland and asking them about the internet.
Yes there are people turning up to the one art cinema we actually have. But Ireland is not a good place to be in general if you are a film/anime/gaming fan.
lol this country is incapable of giving a proper wide/long cinema release to anything that might even be considered slight non-mainstream.
*week-long
Well, we have a week-log screening here and I already lament how undeserving these films have. Guess I should be more appreciate now I know that other countries have 1-day screening only
I wonder if anyone started out in the light novel industry as a stepping stone before moving on to real book writing. I also wonder how easy it is to get published.
Progressive is good from what I heard since he went back to his older material from a more mature outlook. Ordinal Scale is decent too coming from the same matured Kawahara.
Sometimes there are re-showings, some cinemas will play Akira for the billionth time for example.
I imagine seeing scenes like that being recorded in the recording booth would look quite strange.
Apparently, he even apologized to the voice actress for being subjected to voice a rape scene, so I guess even he has deep regrets about it. The LN doesn't have any more moments like this so I guess he matured a lot.
@Anon: The problem is that he was still a teen when he wrote Alicization, he just edited it a bit later. But I also wish he would have cut this scene, it's always so forced and feels so stupid.
Pancreas has no subs yet AFAIK
Ugh, ep10 of Alicinization reminded me why I disliked SAO so much years ago. I assume Kawahara still had some nasty tendencies in him when writing Alicinization despite being past his edgy teenage phase.
@Kaiser: It's the same here too. One day screenings and that's it. I also believe that anime are made for everyone it's just that the West (save for France and Italy maybe) doesn't give anime a chance. They are sure people would never care so they rather die or air the same awful scripted reality show for the 5th time rather than try showing anime that could appeal to adults like Monster.
The anon might want to watch that though, a torrent of it recently got uploaded.
Also Let me eat your pancreas wasn't shown here. But it was shown in Australia.
Although there are some films that America gets that we don't, the Heavens feel, the Madoka movies and Nanoha reflection showed in America but not here.
@SuperMario: That would be great.
Anime films seem to appeal to normies aswell.
I saw an older woman in my screening of Maquia and talked to her after it and she liked it.
Again, I don't know about elsewhere, but what surprised me was the amount of people who are seeing these in the audience who don't actually come off as anime fans and probably aren't.
But I'm genuinely surprised that my country would actually even go that far to even show them.
I don't know about all the other countries that get showings for these anime films, but here its a one day only thing each time one comes out.
Reviewig anime movies/ making posts about them might be something I can do in the future
@amagi: anime movies are somethingn I wanna raise more awareness as well. Normally each year there are 4,5 solid anime films out there, but like you said they’re hardly discussed
I've never heard of UFO no natsu.
I felt bad for the little girl in grave of the fireflies, the boy was already caught up though in "muhfascistempire is goat tier" for me to care about him as much as her.
The Air movie was more focused, better paced and visually directed with more panache than the show.
@Amagi: I have gone to almost every anime screening since the early 2000s and continue to.
And many have barely any sort of advertising so I only notice them coincidentally by seeing a thread on /a/ or because I see some screenshot somewhere.
Speaking of it there are so many great anime movies every year but nobody ever talks about them because the fans are split between those who see the screenings (that happen randomly depending on the country) and those who watch it a year later on their PC.
I also found Hotori sad but it's ages old and I never met anyone who cared about it besides myself. Also, Hanbun no Tsuki and UFO no natsu although these were 6 part ova. Colourful probably too and the Key movies. I actually like all these movies like Air or Clannad but I didn't like the series that much.
I think ultimately its the patience some of these sad films are made with that allows then to eventually land their effect.
SuperWooper
It takes a while to get to that point, though.
SuperWooper
"The Wind Rises" is pretty damn sad.
Well, Grave of Fireflies hands down. or Your Lie in April if you don't mind TV show
Then basically everything from Shinkai for example.
@Anon: You may need to let us now what type of drama you're into, are you okay with highly melodramatic stories?
if so anybody have any good sad anime movies?
anybody here?
The more we approach xmas time the more it rains in my city. Like every year.
Didn't know that guess I try this someday I love this setting.
The most recent thing I've watched dealing with a created/artificial/virtual world was an old German mini series called World on a wire by Rainer Fassbinder.
Wonder about the consequences these last scenes in Gridman will have.
@Mario: I finally got around to Aki Kaurasamaki's films, watched I hired a contract killer, I like dry, sad bastard black humour like that and even when it wasn't being amusing I enjoyed the whole quirky tone throughout it.
I decided to watch season 2 of sound euphonium before getting to liz and the bluebird. I would like to see more of this. I guess I liked Asuka's arc.
I think bloom into you has stood out in how its dealt with Nanami's insecurities and backstory, found myself liking that one side character Sayaka more. There will be an arc where they do some kind of play which compliments/links in well with nanami's character.
Animosh
But yeah, I agree the series has great character writing. In hindsight, it's kind of a shame you picked Irozuku over Bloom into You. It had a great premiere and some stunning scenes, but the characters are so incredibly droll that there's just not much to write about. They're both slow burns, but Bloom into You gives you much more to think about.
Animosh
So I think the crossing the line thing is ambiguous between your interpretation and Yuu's subconscious fear that if she initiates things, displays her affection towards Nanami (and a passionate kiss that Yuu initiates certainly seems to qualify), then that will be the end of things. Actually, it's probably a bit of both.
Animosh
@SuperMario: I think Yuu is also aware that Nanami does not want Yuu to fall in love with her (I mean, it's hard not to after that death stare). And as a result she can never initiate things, because showing affection would undermine the whole reason Nanami fell in love with her. And Yuu obviously does not want this relationship to end.
Did uh that really happen in BF? Probably not, but dang if that really was the case then stuff got real
@Animosh: the thing is Yuu takes the special attraction from Nanami for granted, and her mode is that she “doesn’t hate” it. She doesn’t hate it when she spends time alone with Nanami, she doesn’t hate it when they kiss. So for Yuu, when Nanami askes her to actively do it, it’a the first time Yuu feels like she’s crossing the line. Some really great character writing there
It boils down to a female-targeted version of those moe shows that I don't care about all that much. Just replace the cute girls with hot boys.
Compared to Katsugeki, where it tried to sell the series as something more than just a mobile adaptation and tried to court non-fans, here I got exactly what I expected; something safe and predictable, and catering exclusively to fans. So I got nothing out of it.
Is there some sort of moe equivalent for male characters? Because this show probably counts as one. otoh, my feelings towards it are like most CGDCT anime: indifference.
I think the oddest thing I did regarding anime this year was how I sat through both season of Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (including the one that aired earlier this winter), and didn't claw my eyes out when it's basically an unfortunate mix of a mobile game adaptation and a CBDCT show mixed in with some action segments to show that it's not just a pure estrogen-fest.
Animosh
I should also note that I don't relate to her in every way. I understand her difficulties with falling in love, but for me the problem is more that my view on love is too negative, and as a result I'm hesitant about taking the "leap of faith" that any relationship requires. Love is messy, and may well get you hurt, so it's easier to observe things from a distance, like Maki for example.
Animosh
Oh Yuu is definitely frustrating to watch. Her idealized conception of love prevents her from seeing what is obvious to everyone watching: that she's slowly developing feelings for Touko. And when those feelings evidently turn into love, instead of seeing them for what they are, she's in denial and insists that her feelings aren't special enough to be called "love". It's frustrating.
Then again, I can't really say why Bloom into You works for me now, but kept me in a distance in their first few episodes. It's slow-burn, and when you think back to it, not a lot has been happening. But I feel they haven't made any wrong step yet
Can't say I relate to Yuu thou. She's the kind of character that in real life I would find really frustrated, and I know many of my friends behave that way. That just to further demonstrates how real these characters can be. Even the side characters, Sayaka and the lesbian adult couple work well for me.
@Aminosh: it took awhile for me to fully embrace Bloom into You (I say about episode 5,6) but I agree it's getting very solid now. it reminds me of Scums Wish as well, mainly because how twisted romance can be
Animosh
I'm also worried it won't end in a satisfying way, since the manga is still ongoing. But otherwise I quite like it. It has its problems, but if you go into it with the right expectations (slow pacing, complex and flawed characters that make for an unusual love story, with more focus on the characters' psychological issues than their sexuality) there's a lot to enjoy.
Animosh
My only major complaint is that its characters can feel rather artificial sometimes. Touko in particular is a victim of this. She's such a weird bundle of complexes that she can be hard to relate to. Maybe it'll be better explained later on, but the whole idea of falling in love with another person because you think she'll be incapable of reciprocating it ... it's weird.
Animosh
I particularly like Yuu. I can empathize with her difficulties with falling in love, and I like her arc of slowly "blooming into" liking another person. It feels natural and earned. And like in SSSS.Gridman, the direction is surprisingly strong, and as a result it mostly nails its key moments (the river confrontation, the shed starting shot, etc).
Animosh
I finally caught up with Bloom into You, and it really surpassed my expectations. It kind of reminds me of Scum's Wish, with how flawed its characters are, and how selfish and unreasonable they can be. But like in Scum's Wish, instead of condemning the characters for their flaws, we're given the background to understand them, and they're not used for forced melodrama but sympathetically explored.
@Amagi: Are the Tezuka Buddha movies really that bad? I'll probably try the manga soon.
Also, it'd be cool if we could get long ova adaptations again.
I'd be happy to get more anime set outside of Japan. I also wouldn't mind seeing some anime based off western material.
Gotta say, I wasnt expecting that from Banana Fish this week. I hope its not a fake out, because if it isnt this ending could be great. I love sad endings
Bunny-girl made me watch a horrible idol segment. Then I forgave it because the end of the episode was well executed melodrama.
Sash
Sash
Animosh
But regardless of how things turn out, it was definitely a powerful moment, and I'm really happy things are finally heating up again. Looks like the demon/leopard/whatever will be unleashed next episode.
Animosh
Welp, I guess something really did happen this week in Banana Fish. I kind of expect it to be a fake-out though. Chii mentioned there will be an epilogue, and it'd be strange to do so without our main couple intact. We haven't really gotten a confirmation of how Ash and Eiji see their relationship either. So I don't think the ship (or rather, one of its passengers) has sunk just yet.
Well, one of them is essentially the first two episodes of the show as one long episode. So i would say that makes sense.
After all, I don't think they know anything about the series until I show them these. They already know that I bought the novels though.
Meanwhile, I'm planning on showing my family, the two LoGH films, My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War during our Christmas vacation. Is this a good jumping on point?
Come on torrent, 90% done, then you decide to slow down. This is conspiracy I say.
Same here
Thanks, will download it when I get home.
@Mario: Early sub for 720p version of liz and bluebird is on nyaatorrents, they say they are doing a 1080p version tomorrow.
It’s Christmas season soon so I hope I can watch some older gems during that period
I, on the other hand, decide to get off my movie marathon for now to spend time WATCHING MORE ANIME.
I've had that issue on other blogs, getting the moderation awaiting message, I got it here in the past too.
Woah, I will read that story soon when I have free time. Thanks
Lemme fix this, Amagi
I have given up on a bunch of anime now I rather enjoy the few I really like to the fullest and use the rest of my free time to play games and read VNs.
"Your comment is awaiting moderation" guess I posted too many links, he. Well thinking about it I could have just posted this in the shoutbox, it's no spoiler or anything.
I quite liked it. I like that it wasnt a one off thing either, but it showed them working at it. I enjoy how when Kurahara chooses to do something, he commits 100% to it. Its fitting for his character
A lesser series would have drawn out the drama with Haiji. The scenes with kakeru reading manga with Prince also further support what the anon was saying about him warming up to Prince.
I cant wait to watch it.
And yeah, the cliffhanger from last wasn't a big deal since Haiji fainted from overworking himself and needs to rest.
That part where he chose to slow down in order to cheer on Prince and Ouji was a great scene in particular. He's starting to care about others now.
Man, Prince has come a long way from his slow, awkward running at the start. And it looks like Kakeru is improving in terms of building his relationships with his teammates.
awesome! Under the Silver Lake is out as well in case you want to watch it, Kaiser
Yo AwesomeMario , the bluray for Liz and the bluebird (the sound euphonium spinoff thing) is out, will probably be subtitled someday soon.
Compartively dogs DESPISE me.
Y'know...yeah, old kids stuff was kinda messed up and animal deaths were a big thing, Mufasa, bambi's mother aswell.
Cats are weird
We have two cats for two certain metro stations in my city. They belong to people living nearby but love the station so damn much you almost always see them sitting on the benches made for humans waiting for the subway/train. Two days ago I returned in the middle of the night and that one cat was still sitting there enjoying life. The other cat belongs to the station in front of my house.
Depressingly we also have that Lion king remake too.
Though I think plague dogs film adaptation stopped just before the full ending of the book?
Lol there are actually people out there who believe that only straight men have aspergers syndrome.
I can't actually leave a cat alone when I see it, actually snuck up on one to pick it up. Couldn't help myself.
Oh, heh, hey didn't know it shared the same author, makes alot of sense though.
Yeah Plague Dogs is by the same author that did Watership. It was great. It's interesting to see how quickly series can become edgy and therefore bad on the one hand and how many grim dark movies or series exist that are damn good on the other hand. A wrong turn and your serious drama or thriller can turn into trash.
Funny because I was also always a rabbit owner and now have a shitty cat (and yes I am actually autistic though although I guess I write pretty normal nowadays)
Oh Jesus...there was another old one wasn't there, the one about the dogs? Plague dogs, another example of a famliy/kids animation that pulled no punches.
I enjoy alternate history/dystopia stuff, There was It happened here, a British film about a what if situation where Hitler won.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 11 [The Dignity of Evil]

This week we see something that rarely happens: Gui Niao is in a fault mood. As it turns out, this little war between Enigmatic Gale and Dirty Cop is more about the Vape Wiz’s ego rather than the Glassed Boy. The usually collected-Gui Niao shows off a whole range of emotions this episode: from being […]

Banana Fish – 22 [As I Lay Dying]

Welcome to what is, to me, a very contentious episode of Banana Fish. This time Blanca gets sentimental, Ash learns Japanese, and Eiji sets Ash on a Warpath through no fault of his own. Let’s dive in! Overall, this was a good episode. It flipped everything on its head and, assuming Banana Fish doesn’t backpedal […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 10 [Monochromatic Crayon]

Irozuku, as meandering as it always is, has some stunning sequences this episode. It furthers proves the fact that 1) the magical sequence is where Irozuku really takes off and 2) its strength always come from its visual department, not in the storytelling. Take the sequence where Aoi steps into Hitomi’s dream, for example. He […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 10 [Collapse]

After a crucial episode last week where GRIDMAN reached its highest bar to date, it’s understandable that everything that follows it would be a letdown. Nothing in this new episode can beat the moment Akane jumped off the crane last week in terms of sketching her depression. This episode is where the entire cast goes […]

Planetes – 15 & 16 [In Her Case…/Ignition] – Throwback Thursday

Hello and welcome to perhaps the most intense week of Planetes yet. This time our Temp Worker gets some history and Hachimaki develops space PTSD. Let’s dive in! Off the bat, I want to apologize again for this being late. Work and doing 4 shows at once has slowed me down a bit. That said, […]

Goblin Slayer – 09[There and Back Again]

We reach the end of the water town arc and Goblin Slayer killed some goblins. I am not sure what else I expected. I must say that animation wise for a series heavily focused on action, the action itself is rather static. Sadly some of the more impactful panels of the manga were cut from […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru – 10 [Our Speed]

Welcome one and all, to the most wholesome episode of Kaze Fui yet. This week Prince and Kurahara finally connect, Hana cooks dinner and a track meet comes to a curious end. Lets jump in! Kaze Fui continues strong this week, not content to sit back and simply milk Haiji’s condition. No, instead of spending […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 9 [A Book about Life, Death, and Rebirth]

Hello and welcome to perhaps the best week of Honda-San yet. This time we get one long skit, clever writing and well mixed in education. All in a 10 minute package! Lets jump in. To me, this was the best episode of Honda-San since the first. The gags were clever and the single topic allowed […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 10 [Demonic Swords/Holy Swords]

This week, Thunderbolt takes a left turn to resolve side conflicts, or even new minor conflicts it thought of, mostly to boost up the status of our main cast. It’s still enjoyable, in an admittedly predictable way. We have a guy literally flirting with his sword, a yaoi love where a guy willing to put […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]