Posted by AidanAK47 on 4 October 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Fate/Apocrypha

We have officially entered the second half of Fate/Apocrypha and with that comes a new opening and ending. The ending doesn’t leave much of an impression but I do prefer this opening over the first opening. The first opening just didn’t really suit my tastes while I prefer the melody of this opening more even if the visuals of it are rather generic. As far as Fate anime openings go for the whole franchise I still believe that Fate/UBW has the best ones. For the past few episodes this series has actually been pretty good but it seems that streak has ended with this episode. Part of the reason is that the long action sequence has ended and another part is that Sieg is getting center attention again. I swear this kid is like a fun black hole, where all fun is sucked out of a scene just by his very presence. I don’t like the fact that I keep harping on about this kid but he really is that much of a problem. His design is boring and every line of his dialogue is archetypal and systematic. He’s quest to discover his purpose is gone and with that he has essentially become the most predictable and expected hero character you can write up. I can almost predict his every line of dialogue in any given situation.

Made all the worse by his continued climb up the Gary Sue ladder with him now not only being a servant himself but also a Master. Not exactly a new thing in the Fate universe as Medea from the main series also managed to summon a servant despite being a servant herself. Though that came with it’s own problems, one of which looks to have been severely hand waved here. For now Amakusa Shirou is is sole master for almost the entirety of the red faction. Now it may be a question for some that if a mage can summon a servant during a Holy Grail War then why don’t they try to summon more than one? There are no rules against having more that one servant. However the problem is that it is akin to trying to drive three cars when you only have enough gas for one full tank. Sure you can drive them all if you divide up the gas between the three cars but all three will never drive as far as one can with a full tank. There are even cases such as with Shirou and Saber in the original where Shirou didn’t have enough mana to fuel her and as a result her abilities were handicapped. So the question is, how is Amakusa Shirou managing to fuel six servants(Including the newly defected Caster of Black) without them getting downgraded? Even taking into account that Shirou is a servant himself who also requires mana. He did mention about potentially being incarnated but even a previously incarnated servant needed an external source of mana. I don’t really expect an answer to this as this show has already made it clear the rules don’t really matter all that much.

I don’t like Riders master. No, I don’t mean that in the obvious way as she is a character meant to be disliked. What I mean is that I don’t like how horribly and lazily written she is. With such a large character roster it’s understandable that a couple of characters would get shafted when it comes to characterisation but this really is F grade villain writing. She gets off on torturing others and throwing them into despair and it’s just such childish reasoning. If you want to write a character who has that with better motivations and personality then take notes from DanganRonpa’s antagonist. Here I just realize that the entire purpose of this character is for this one scene, to give the protagonist a free servant and the satisfaction of seeing her head get chopped off by Mordred. Not saying that wasn’t satisfying to witness but come on, Shinji from Fate/Stay Night had better writing than this. I also find myself immensely irritated at what is the worst forced servant retreat in this series to date.

We have only four servants on the enemy side, defected Avicebron, Semiramis, Shirou and Karna. On the good side we have Joan of Arc, Atlanta, Chiron, Achilles and to top it all off Mordred enters the fray. Five against four and two fo the four are low tier servants. So why did Sisigou order a retreat? Karna is a problem, most definitely but he can be kept busy and while Semiramis has a territory boost she still would have trouble with a Saber. With Shirou being the master of all red servants, all the good side needs to do is kill him to win. So why did Sisigou order a retreat? Shirou may have command spells but Joan of Arc is a Ruler Class and thus has two command spells per servant. She can quite literally order all the servants on the opposing side to stand down. Not to mention getting into the hanging Gardens of Babylon again would be a hard task and facing Shirou with such advantageous odds again is even harder. So just why did Sisigou order a retreat? I just can’t understand it no matter how much I think about it.

1. Amagi says:

Now that Sieg is Astolpho’s master and Vlad is dead this series will probably focus on these two and Jeanne. My biggest fear is that Jeanne’s only reason for existence is to become Sieg’s pure girlfriend. I never liked these developments – I mean I always prefered Shirou with Rin or Sakura, but someone could argue that Shirou and Saber were a special case, considering Saber’s wish and past fits well to Shirou’s wish to safe everyone. Not to mention that they were living together for some time. But not only has Sieg barely interacted with Jeanne, he’s also, unlike Shirou, just an incredibly bland character.
    What makes matters worse is that Jeanne seems to be very irrelevant so far. All she’s doing is running. She never really interferes. She tries to, but she usually gets interrupted and the scenes switch to other servants who actually fight and do something. It seems like they made her way too tame, I know that people have this naive concept of holy maidens, but Jeanne is just too harmless and boring for a historical military woman who was famous for her patriotism.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

I too don’t like the Saber and Shirou pairing. They were always so awkward around each other. I personally prefered his playful interactions with Rin or his more natural realistionship with Sakura. Shirou and Sakura were pratically on married couple level with how they interacted with each other.

I argee that Joan is unfortunatly too passive in this conflict. She has done some things like preventing Berserker from blowing up the town but for the most powerful servent in the war she sure isn’t doing all that much when the rules are getting obliterated.

2. meow says:

Wholeheartedly agree. The marriage of visuals and song were really amazing there. That said, I think the songs for Apo weren’t bad. While most anisongs tend to have more broad market appeal, Egoist’s OP in particular felt like the theme song of a modern day stage production. The lyrics and general feel of the theme fit right to the story and tells a lot about what it’s about. The ED seems to be Jeanne’s theme song and perhaps speaks about her character and motivations.

not only being a servant himself but also a Master.

See this part is really interesting to me. You play FGO right? So you know about Demi-Servants? Shielder, El-Melloi II? Is Sieg something similar? A rough prototype of Mash that works cos of Sieg’s homunculus nature? Well, personally, I only consider him one of a vast cast of characters. Yep, he’s the plot device protag who wins in the end, but along the way, I’ll be paying great attention to everyone else. Well, they could pull another Selesia on us. Seriously did not even imagine that coming. >.>; I can totally hear Sieg’s last MEME words. Maybe he and Siegfried can say it in unison.

Hm. But he didn’t summon everybody. Each was summoned by a different Master. But Shirou managed to steal all their command spells, thanks to his Assassin’s magic smoke pot. That’s how I’m reading it.

I hope they flesh this out more too but I’m not too bothered by this myself. He’s a Ruler class, which means he was a Servant-level Grail War Referee, with all the inside information and root-level admin codes that entails. A whole different dimension from a church assigned referee like Kotomine Kirei or even his foster dad. Also, I’m pretty sure he used to be the Servant of the Einzberns, which means he probably has some homunculus/magical circuit knowledge of his own AND 60 years time to build up mana reserves. Gil and Kirei had 10 years to prepare. I didn’t see Kotomine having any issues maintaining Cu at his theoretical max power or Gil holding back on his NPs.

So why did Sisigou order a retreat?

Personally, I wonder as to who’s on who’s side here. It’s not really clear where Achilles and Atalanta stand. They only worked with Ruler temporarily to stop the undead. Karna too, I have a feeling he’s only temporarily submitting to Shirou in order to find a way to rescue his Master. He’s at a terrible disadvantage if Shirou has his command spells, his true Master as a hostage, along with his own Ruler-class powers, and being inside Assassin’s domain. If Karna is anything like his CCC counterpart, he’s likely to try to pull off a miracle to save the life of his Master. Let’s recap: They’re all inside the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Assassin’s personal domain, which I assume gives her bonuses like Lancer of Black’s on Romanian soil. Shirou would have each Red Servant’s (excluding Saber’s) usual 3 command spells plus his own ruler-specific 2 spells so that makes 5 to Jeanne’s 2? What’s the usual thing Masters do when their Servants look like they’ll rebel? And Avicebron was a willing collaborator with his army of instant mobs to distract them. Plus Shakespeare. I’m thinking that’s why Sisigou would order a retreat. He said to Saber, “It’s time!”, so this was all according to his plan.

Well, that and this series would be a lot shorter if they started the final climatic battle right now. XD Just my two cents.

I’ll be totally shocked if this happens, but personally, I see her relationship to Sieg as something like a foster mother or guardian. Remember, Sieg is a newborn with an expected lifespan of a Replicant. But he is a living person from the era, unlike the Servants, who are ghosts of the dead from another. So she’s likely to become his guide to making the best out of this situation.

She never really interferes.

She’s the Ruler-class of this Grail War, which means she’s kind of like the referee of a duel. She’s not supposed to interfere unless there’s a break in the rules. Remember Saber of Black vs Lancer of Red. It would take something like getting attacked or finding out a Servant from an old war becoming a Master in a different one and being in the position to use the Grail on his own to get her to intervene. Things are still developing though and she’s still vague about why she was summoned there in the first place. She’s set to work against Shirou for now but I’m really not sure how this story will go. She’s already expressed how she agrees with Shirou’s wish. It’s only his methods that is the problem. Much plot development for her to come, I assume.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Alright I will jump in to address a few things here but I do have a few other things I need to write up so I can’t go into everything.

The impression I got of demi servents was that they were people assuming the roles and powers of the servent. Not really turning into one like Sieg does. You could say he’s a flawed demi servent as his transformation is temporary when Mash’s and Wavers is perminant.

The question about summoning more than one servent was more to bring up that having more than one servent does not give any real advantage.

The Ruler class does not have a master so he didn’t serve the Einsberns(Rather funny considering the cheating of the Einsberns is what caused a Ruler to join the fight in the first place.) The rular isn’t privy to any cheat codes either, they just know the rules and have the command spells to reinforce them. As for Kirei, he did in fact have mana reserves to help him power both Cu and Gil…that was revealed at the end of the Fate Route and it’s not pretty. Basically all the orphans from the great fire of the Fourth holy Grail locked down in the crypt acting as Mana batteries. A fate that Shirou would also of had if he had not been adopted by Kerry.

Shirou is not a ruler class anymore. Otherwise the other servents would have wised up because you can’t hide that. So he has no Ruler command spells. Also you misunderstand, the Rular class gets two command spells per servent. There are 14 servents in this war which means that Joan gets a grand total of 28 command spells. Five were spent powering up the servents to take down dracula. But still far more than Shirou could ever have. Karna and Semiramis are powerful servents but fighting that many servents at once is still a hard task. The two red servents could eb disabled by Shirou’s command spells but again Joan can pretty much use her own command spells to counter his while shutting down his servents.

• meow says:

NP. I’m very happy to have someone to talk to about this as I want to clarify my own point of view on an admittedly potentially confusing subject. I never read the Fate Apocrypha novels myself and am playing FGO from Japan, untranslated. I’m only getting vague hints from the participants about their relationships. No real specifics on what happens in Apocrypha.

Hm. You might need to elaborate. I might be missing your point here. One thing about the original battle royale style of Grail War, is that you have great difficulty getting Master/Servant pairs to work together unless it was to everyone’s advantage. Case in point, Zero Caster’s NP that was threatening the whole city. It would be nice to steal other Servants from their Masters but like you mentioned, you’d need to be a great mage with a massive mana pool. Medea managed to pull this off in UBW, by having Assassin, Archer and Saber (WIP but still…). The main issue being each Master/Servant pairing having their own wish and the filled Grail having the power to grant only one pair of wishes? But if you could get that to work, well, you’d have a party of Servants able to synergize their strengths and cover their individual weaknesses and have something greater than the sum of their parts. In theory, anyway, if Amakusa could pull this off, he would have a team of allied Servants against a bunch of lone wolves.

I get Kirei’s method of mana collection but I’m not discounting Amakusa having his own method. Perhaps something not so gory. He might have his own source of homunculus batteries to draw on given his connection to the Einzberns or perhaps something more benign given that he has had 60 years to prepare, and doesn’t look like he has aged. He may well have gone off the deep end, given his willingness to kill off his fellow Saint, dismissing her as a “hindrance”. And about cheat codes, I was actually thinking about Ruler Command Spells, their ability to identify the true identity of servants on sight, their ability to receive visions, and Amakusa’s claim to Avicebron that he knew everything about the Greater Grail. Still not quite sure what this means. Amakusa still enjoys all these abilities so I’m pretty sure he’s still a Ruler, just like Gil was still an Archer with all his Archer abilities intact, in spite of having incarnated into a flesh body from the Black Grail.

Mmm…? Jeanne called it the instant she laid eyes on Amakusa. And Amakusa himself admitted that he was of the Ruler class too. In FSN, nobody could tell blondie was a Servant either..or that an 8th one was around. So maybe only Rulers can tell for sure. Maybe Amakusa did incarnate, like Gil, and that’s why other Servants couldn’t tell.

While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100