Posted by Lenlo on 16 October 2017 with categories: Finished Series: Adventure/Fantasy/Science Fiction, Mahoutsukai no Yome

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the world and magic itself. Lets jump in!

Mahoutsukai opens with its OP, which I doubt I will ever tire of. It then shows Chise on a plane, right before she sold herself into slavery. We see glimpses of her past, her family and their treatment of her. Apparently they didn’t want her. This most likely has to do with her being a Sleigh Beggy, something I hope we learn more about. Then the dream ends and we cut to Chise in her bed, waking 2 days after episode 1. She gets up, goes to the kitchen and we see Ainsworth and the maid. Mahoutsukai gives us some information here. That the maid is named Silky and that she is a fairy. A type that does housework, more of a landlady than a maid apparently. It’s just enough information to tide us over while actually addressing her existence. After that Ainsworth details the plans for the episode.

According to Ainsworth they will be venturing to London. There they will meet some people and get Chise the basic items she will need as an apprentice. During this conversation Ainsworth finishes writing a letter. We get to see another bit of quality animation as Ainsworth turns the letter into a sort of bird, which then flies off to its recipient. Then the two head off to the city. To avoid stares because of his odd head, Ainsworth covers it with an illusion. Gives himself blonde hair and tired eyes, its relatively handsome. To bad for him though, Chise thinks it looks fake. Poor Ainsworth.

The pair soon arrives at their destination, a bookstore. That is a front however, as Ainsworth leads Chise to the back, where we see the real purpose of their visit. A room filled with magical creatures, gems and creations. There we meet Angelica Burley, an Magus Artificer. Some light hearted conversation, subtle jokes about clean money and how exactly Ainsworth got Chise. For the most part, its some good humor. The magical animals crawling everywhere are a joy to watch.

Eventually Ainsworth is sent out and Angelica spends some time alone with Chise. She explains some more about magic, the difference between it and sorcery, and what exactly she does. As a bit of a demonstration, Angelica tells Chise to make a flower out of a crystal, detailing how to do it. In line with being a special case though, Chise goes far beyond a simple flower. She thinks back to her time with her mother, a field of flowers. A flash of magic and a good portion of the room becomes covered in crystal as a field of frosted crystal forms. Ainsworth appears, telling Angelica Chise is a Sleigh Beggy, yet his over the shoulder look appears very sinister here. Perhaps he isn’t as good natured as we are lead to believe.

Angelic forgives Chise for what occurred, to her surprise, and simply asks her to clean it up. Meanwhile Angelica herself prepares the items Ainsworth came shopping for in the first place. With their business concluded, Ainsworth and Chise head back home. There is some conversation on the walk, Ainsworth learning more about Chise, before the two arrive home. There we see someone new, a priest named Simon Cullum. No one in the house seems to like Simon, but apparently he has business. He places 3 envelopes on the table and tasks Ainsworth to deal with the problems. Their business concluded, Simon leaves and Ainsworth mentions that its time for their honeymoon.

The episode ends with the two walking across Iceland, bundled up. They arrived to check up on some dragons. In a bit of a rushed way, one suddenly appears in front of Chise, grabbing her and flying away. We see a rider, who mentions that they are heading to the “Last Land of the Dragons”. Cut to the ED. All in all I enjoyed the episode. Lots of pretty scenes, some good information and we appear to have started a new arc. My only concern is the pacing at the end. We rushed right into the whole dragon’s business and Chise getting kidnapped. We needed to jump into an arc, I understand, but this felt a bit rushed.

Regardless I am looking forward to the next episode, and I hope you are to. See you next week!

1. Vonter says:

Not to offend. But this read more like a summary than an impression of the episode. More than writing point by point on what happened, I think it should be more about the sense you got from the episode, why is it rushed, and any other more proper opinions on what it did good or did bad that stood out.

What I’m not sure if I like is the premise of Chise selling herself. Unlike the trope of having a bad home like in Harry Potter, it feels odd to me, that selling herself brought her to a (so far) better home.

The Honeymoon comments could be interpret as romantic yet they sounded out of place, and despite being mentioned twice in the episode, I don’t know if those were a joke or not.

Finally, the jokes and gags played with chibi character designs feel a bit forced, like the ones Full Metal Alchemist had. I suppose it’s just to add levity.

• Lenlo says:

Thank you. I have worried about this for the past few weeks but never knew what others thought. I wanted to put more of my thoughts in, but I have a tendency to be wordy and dont want to get to long.

I’ll cut down on the point by point and get more general thoughts in. Point-by-point was simply easier to go through everything that occurred in a reasonable order.

For your other comments. For me the self-slavery will make it or break it by how perfect her life ends up being here. I mentioned the sinister overtones of Ainsworth in certain places, so I expect things to not be all flowers and roses for her.

Honeymoon comments I think were a joke? I interpreted it as such. Finally, yes the chibi jokes were a bit much. Small things like the clean money gag or the Arcanist pointing out that he bought a girl at a slave auction being suspicious were the ones I prefered more of. The chibi aspect just takes away.

• Lenlo says:

I am also covering Inuyashiki this season, so if you are interested in that, make sure to tell me your thoughts there to!

I expect my writing will change alot this season.

2. KTravlos says:

I do think the bride part really is unnecessary for the show IMHO. The apprentice and enter magical world parts could hold it more than enough. That said from what I have read there is a reason for the bride part.

The slavery issue did not grate as much as I thought. Partly because Chise did not feel like a slave. From the treatment of the “seller” to her own stance it seemed like she was always master of her destiny in the whole scene. We will have to see how it plays out though with the Elias-Chise interaction.

• Lenlo says:

From what I have read, we will eventually learn that Ainsworth thinks a bride is actually a “Woman who lives with him”. He has some issues understanding regular human society.

If this is true, then yay. Id love to see him with some gaps in his knowledge.

• Bokusenou says:

That’s interesting, because right now he’s just kind of creeping me out (treating her like a dog & calling her puppy, touching her face without asking, etc), he just keeps reminding me of a possessive boyfriend-type character, which just makes my skin crawl…

Anyways, thanks for the review! Next time definitely don’t be afraid to add more of your opinions on the series and reactions to certain scenes, etc. It helps give readers like me more of a sense of what you felt was strong or weak about an episode, which is helpful in deciding whether to watch some series or not.

• Lenlo says:

I appreciate the feedback. Still new to this. Most of the writing I have done before has been analytical, because of my career, so adding in opinion is something I will be doing more and more of.

The next episode should hopefully deal with that.

• Victim says:

I also agree the show would be better off, it needs no paedophilic connotations, not in the slightest. Humorous or not. Not on top of brushing off slavery and romanticizing the Stockholm syndrome. I’m a slave, but hey I’m free, so it’s cool. And maybe he even likes me!

So far, the show is falling short of its promises (of the OVAs), selling me some kind of twisted shoujo dream instead. I mean, Chise already had to be saved once and now she gets kidnapped? I sincerely hope the show will start to get it’s shit together. I’m not much hopeful, since the settings and characters all look like from a story that tries to sell ‘living happily ever after in seclusion’.

Something horribly irks me about it. Is this a psychological horror about magic an escape from reality for little girls?

• Lenlo says:

Depends on how she gets out of this kidnapping. If she gets out on her own, then I think its fine. Shes empowering herself. If Ainsworth has to save her again, then there will be issues.

Based on the OP, I think its not going to be all sunshine and roses forever though. Some shots of Ainsworth give me a sinister overtone to him.

Personally, I dont see this as stockholm syndrome. Shes not trapped there, she can leave whenever she wants. Ainsworth said as much in the first episode.

• Victim says:

He saved her, but in a way that gives him complete power over her. He’s got money, he’s got power, he’s got establishment, he OWNS her. He holds her in moral debt – that’s not how you do relationships. He gives her food, she continues to live because of him. She knows not where she is, why is she there or what’s about to happen. She is a captive. And she likes it (I mean the audience is supposed to).

Can she do whatever? There certainly is an illusion of that being a case, but let’s not get ahead. Just because he isn’t abusing his power, doesn’t mean he is not holding it. He CAN just command her anything he wants and she would obey, let’s not pretend.

She left for 5 minutes and he is onto her bringing her back. It does not matter why. The fact is, she can’t just leave. He holds her like she is his property. He gives her commands (when he gets serious). He forces future onto her without much thought about what she wants. He already got her naked.

It’s just not funny. I see glorified SS pretty clearly, but then again, I’m just a lousy shrink-wannabe.

• Victim says:

I think it’s a bit unfair to hold this all against the author, since ultimately, I think this is just another of numerous cases where media presents SS as something useful and meaningful, because the writer himself does not notice, because he himself has been sold the same food for all these years, like everybody else.

But, I see a problem, so I feel the urge to point it out.

3. Victim says:

Since the author appears to appreciate some basic feedback, I’ll happily chip in with my own.

Didn’t read it.

As someone who basically just watched the thing, I truly do not need it reiterated in written form. I’m here for opinions (the more eccentric and opinionated, the better), I want people (writers) to tell me I’m wrong and sell me their ideas, if they can’t do that, I leave.

However, my ultimate point is: who cares about what I think and want. You should write in the format YOU prefer to write in, write about things YOU feel comfortable writing about in length you feel is necessary to make a point and keep doing that, but while striving to reach a balance between what you want, what the blog owner wants and what the readers want. So I guess, take what you can from the feedback, but find your own thing. If you need to make a mistake to find it, so be it.

4. KTravlos says:

On a second reading of my post I do think I was being stupid. If I can explain it I do think that coming from the depiction of slavery in Bahamut VS, to the depiction of slavery in Ancient Magus Bride, might had mucked up my empathy meter. Now that I think about it, I am a bit uncomfortable with the whole slavery and bride thing. I will still give the show a chance because the premise beyond that sounds interesting.

I will point this out though. Chise was suicidal when she decided to sell herself to slavery. There is a part of me that thinks this partly explains her reaction to the whole situation. I guess in one way Elias does stand under an inquisition know. How he uses the undoubtedly real power he has here over her will greatly determine the shows worth for me. On another level how Chise reacts to that situation.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

I also feel the slavery bride stuff is the biggest question mark for me right now. I, on the other hand, agree and believe it’s intentional that Chise was suicidal trying to sell herself to slavery. She’s an emotional damaged girl to the point she basically gave up her whole life (now that I think about it, where does the money go to? Chise or the agency????) Her saying “I don’t handle pain very well” cut me deeply. Really hope they address the bride and slavery thing with reasonable thoughts because they’re playing with fire here.

• Konstantinos Travlos says:

Agency got the money. So yes she was sold as a slave even if she was ok with it (in this sense she was like most ancient greek slaves who would be people who sold themselves to slavery to escape debt).

Yeah, I will really be despondent if they muck it up. Because I actually do like the series vibe a lot, and despite everything think Elias is an interesting character.

5. Suburbanbanshee says:

First off, it’s overwhelmingly obvious that this is a show deep in Celtic folklore. And slavery was something that existed in Celtic Britain. There were also various pre-Christian/early medieval forms of marriage in Wales and Ireland (as well as among the Saxons et al), and they were mostly distinguished by “what was the legal/social status of each partner” and “how much does each person own, coming in”.

The show mixes this up with apprenticeship, which could be either a form of fosterage, or a form of indentured servitude.

And finally, we mix things up with older attitudes towards age expectations. In most of these societies, Our Heroine would be an adult for most legal purposes, other than selling land.

If you bring a modern girl into a radically different set of societal norms, of course it is going to be creepy at best. That doesn’t mean that the author is advocating Fairyland Magical Laws For All; in fact, there seems to be some societal satire going on, both of modern and more ancient ways. Throw in the fantasy elements, and it is extremely hard to tell what will happen next.

But actually, it was extremely important for most Celtic societies to make sure that the guest or new arrival received the full three forms of hospitality: food, drink, and a bath. Usually clothes, too. Nakedness was not all that big a thing, and being shown to the bath by your host or your host’s wife, instead of a servant, was a sign of high status.

The first ep seems to have been playing a joke with this. Kind of a hentai joke, but a lot of the Celtic legends included as much earthy humor as the Japanese ones.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

And of course a Silkie/selkie/selchie is a sealwoman. So either this one has a sealskin somewhere hidden around the house, or somebody burned it or stole it and she’s stuck in this form. (Haven’t read the manga.)

Anyway… Ainsworth also seems to be “stuck” in another form — that of a dancer wearing a stag-skull costume, such as is worn in the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance. The fake head has replaced his real head.

(There’s a lot of speculation, but it actually seems to be a variation on a standard hobbyhorse dance, from relatively modern times. So Ainsworth is probably a newbie, from a fairy’s POV, even though he seems old to the human mages at the slave auction.)

So it may be that some of the problem is that Ainsworth has been forgetting normal human ways, even from his own time, and replacing them with the magical ones.

Re: “Bride” meaning “a woman who lives in the same house without marrying or consummating the marriage” — Again, this shows up in a lot of fairy tales and legends. The implication is usually that the guy is inviting the woman to break a curse; then they can get married and live happily ever after.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

Actually, even in medieval times in most of Europe, they were very into making sure the guest got a chance to take a nice hot bath, first thing. Partly as a survival of Roman niceties, and partly because there was a lot of cold and wet in Europe.

So it shows up as a trope in medieval adventure stories and love stories. The knight is more likely to get shown to a bath by his male host if it’s an adventure, and more likely to get shown in by his wife or daughter if it’s a love story. Heh. (Monty Python’s Holy Grail movie parodies this bit at one point.)

• Victim says:

“slavery was something that existed”

There is no problem with depiction of slavery. It’s the way it’s presented. In the same way I hate on glorification of war in western games, I hate on glorification of emotional abuse in romance or objectification of women in harem shows. It is hypocritical, contradictory and plain stupid.

• Lenlo says:

I understand the distaste of the glorification of it, but I dont see how its hypocritical or not worth showing.

The distasteful aspects of things like Slavery or Emotional Abuse deserve to be depicted as well. If everything depicted Slavery and those who practice it as irredeemably evil, things would get stale quickly and I think we would lose something. Does Mahoutsukai depict it poorly? We will find out. But I see no reason to lambast it so early.

Its also worth noting, Japan doesn’t have the same history with Slavery that the West does. So I am sure there are some very different connotations to it over there.

• Victim says:

I dislike hijacking comment section with personal agendas and I do not want to cause a flame, but I suppose as far as we have a civilized discussion, more comments will not hurt anyone. In the end we will have to agree to differences in our opinions, which are always based on intuition coming from the subjective experiences and knowledge we gained through our lives. But expressing them and talking them out may bring about greater understanding, so here I go:

“The distasteful aspects deserve to be depicted”
          Again, there is never problem with depiction of . It’s always about presentation and the message.

When someone hurts you, you should be hurt. If you fall in love with that person instead (let’s exaggerate) and it is presented as if everything is ok, we have a problem.

I’m only judging the 2 episodes here, but any normal person in Chise’s place would gtfo of there. Noone has the right to run my life, not Elias, nor anyone and it does not matter whether they are malicious vampire or good guy Greg. Yet this show says it does not matter as long as the guy has ‘right’ intentions.

Does anyone buy this? Did Chise actually decide to stay (without being manipulated and basically forced against any will she might have had)? No. Why doesn’t the adult do the responsible thing and ask her directly: “do you want to stay here?”. Would he say ‘okey’ if she said no?

On top of it, the series has no breaks when it comes to making a joke of all this, like stalking (he saved her so it is alright), intimate physical contact, giving no chance to express yourself, suggesting marriage, or leaving her with more strangers that encourage her to do weird shit (with fairies she almost loses her life, with Angelica’s magic teaching getting out of hand)… Is this for real?

These would work out, maybe, if she gave consent, but she did not, nor she can because guess what, she is a child! This makes it completely wrong.

Chise: “Apprentice or bride, which one do I take seriously?”
          How about neither?!
          The show completely ignores this option, taking away any power/freedom she may have. Instead, we have secondary characters that ‘oppose’ Elias and provide an illusion that Chise can, in theory, leave whenever she wants. Right.

The moment Elias bought Chise and ‘proved’ he is not a pedo was the moment we ‘established’ a premise that everything he says is good and Chise should (and will) do. Elias was intentionally framed as mysterious and powerful when he came to buy Chise and the show definitely wanted to provide catharsis by putting her in position of no control, yet not hurting her, which would (in theory) cause her to realize her fear and hopelessness is just what she perceives, not the reality.

The problem however left us in situation of Elias doing everything and Chise the doll complying because he ‘is her saviour’ or because he didn’t hurt her before. It’s not about whether he did, is or will hurt her, it is only about whether he can. She has no defenses against him and he IS exploiting it everytime he so much as tells her ‘it’s allright’. It’s manipulation of her will without her intention. It is what parents do. But he is not her parent. He is just a guy. Who bought her! It’s sick. And here it is framed as a natural thing and even romantically.

Hypocrisy: “feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not”

I hope I have managed to explain where I’m coming from. I don’t mean this show is bad or terribly wrong, but it commits to fallacies that I can not overlook and it hurts particularly when the show takes itself seriously. This one isn’t objectively portraying Chise’s circumstances. It has a bias to slowly grow them intimate and unfortunately, not in the best way so far.

TLDR
          One does not simply shock traumatized children back on their feet by isolating them in his magical castle.

• Lenlo says:

“like stalking”, dangerous magical forest. Seemed to me like a parent making sure a child got home safe. He only intervened when it got dangerous. Shes only 16 afterall.

“intimate physical contact”, Im not sure intimate is the correct word here, as it was just putting her in a bath. Remember cultural differences.

“suggesting marriage”, its been said before, but I dont believe Elias knows what marriage or a bride is. Not as we do atleast. Its part of his character that he knows little of actual society.

“leaving her with more strangers that encourage her to do weird shit”, The fairies approached her in the middle of the night, so he didnt leave her with them. Magic hardly seems weird, as its suggested what she was doing was innocent enough by the young child of Angelica’s who entered earlier in the scene.

Personally, I disagree with the assessment. It was her agency that got her here in the first place, as she placed herself into slavery. If she was forced into this, you’d have a point, but its made clear she chose this, for whatever reason. You say no one would stay in that house if given the option to leave, yet is being stranded homeless in a foreign country better?

I also dont see it as romantic, not yet atleast. More of a surrogate father/daughter.

Each their own though.

• Victim says:

Im not going to respond to each of the points (you’ve made some good arguments and I believe we can leave it at that), instead I’ll focus on the one that is interesting:

“I dont believe Elias knows what marriage is”

The knowledge of the character is not what matters here, it is the intended effect of the message the viewer receives. Behind every joke, therein hides a bit of truth. It is not the character that takes a jab at Chise’s predicament, it is the show itself.

PS: Thx for not leaving me out there like a self-serving lunatic pinning his stupidly long comment badges all over the net.

• Lenlo says:

Someone takes the time to write out a long post detailing their opinions and reasons why they believe that, I figure it would be rude to not at the very least acknowledge it.

• silver says:

I’m just glad that folks here can discuss such emotionally-charged topics without devolving into slinging ad hominems at each other. It’s a thoughtful exchange, and I’m closer to Lenlo in opinion, so I appreciate Victim’s counterargument.

6. KTravlos says:

I think victim has a point. The only defense I might give to the show is the fact that Chise seemed to be between committing suicide and doing what she did. Now I have never been in deep depression in my life (U have been depressed, but not to the suicide point) so I cannot say how people in that condition react. But perhaps Chise’s passiveness might have to do with it. Victim is right, Elias is not her father. But perhaps we should start viewing him as that? The incongruity between what he thinks he is doing “marriage-bride-apprentiship” and what he is doing “father figure” might be part of the goal of the show. I do think if you decide to see Elias as a father-figure (or parent if you wish to leave out the gender relations) things become a bit less weird….except for the bloody marriage thing! If the show is trying to say marriage is a bit like being a parent, that is fallacious. If it is trying to say, ha look at this guy who mixes being a parent/mentor with being married, that is also fallacious. I still think the whole marriage angle was needless (there are other ways to show Elias lack of knowledge of humans).

Anyway I am choosing to see Elias as a parent-figure, and willing to tolerate, barely the shows terrible attempt at a meta-joke. Because I do like Elias, and do like the premise. So let us see where they are taking it.

• Victim says:

It does seem that Chise is currently trying to figure out whether to see Elias as a parent figure or a romantic partner, but first and foremost, she needs to see him as an individual and I think that is where this show is headed to. Whatever will be between them at that point is fine.

I agree that seeing Elias as a parent puts the show into a better light, but there is a process that is a prerequisite of that and I feel like its been largely skipped over.

I do believe this will simply stop matter in the episodes to come.

Sadly, the OPM PV looks weak, I will miss the great animations of MP100.
@Kaiser: Have to admit that I like Mob more than I feared, it's the show I enjoy the most right now. Otherwise I'd go with your ranking, maybe with an added Neverland.
Man I hate how every game has to become more and more multiplayer'ish just let me play games as loner again.
I already dropped it during episode 1. Considering that the manga has ~120+ chapters I guess it's another eternal status quo thing too.
@Wooper: I read a couple of volumes of the manga, its hit or miss and eventually gets repetitive, it could be often funny in certain parts but I'm bored of it now. I saw some bits of the anime and didn't laugh.
SuperWooper
>not watching Kaguya-sama
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
I suppose now that its near the end of this season I should rank what I've been watching: 1. Run with the wind 2. Boogiepop 3. dororo 4. go-toubon.
@Vonter: And there thats the other thing, out of it so long there's a massive buildup of games , increasingly difficult to catch up and get back into.
At the moment I'm playing Guacamelee 2. Which I had my doubts since the first game got a bit frustrating do to the backtracking. This one gives me a Super Paper Mario vibe in the villains departament.
@AidanAK47 I'm not even mad anymore, but still disappointed Western Games can't give closure to their over 10 million dollar games. I think you can have a self contained story and maybe tease the story is open to more adventures or something.
I suppose if I'm curious for the story I'll watch an edited Let's Play.
Yeah, I agree, it does feel like indie developers and Nintendo make the games I like. I don't know maybe I'm just getting old to catch up with the recent trends most ambitious projects tend to follow. Also how most of these games take a lot of time to get going and I don't have that much free time to spare waiting for the game to let me play it.
@Vonter: I got into watching letsplays for a while some years back, it was a decent way to re-live an old game without playing it.
Whoring out sequels is pretty much the bane of most things, just continually dilutes the original and in some cases can even ruin the original for you.
But I can still remember that very moment when I first played a 3D game and how unreal that felt .
And there isn't time to give to absolutely every medium.
Unfortunately I think I've been so long out of the habit of gaming that I've gotten used to and familiar with not being part of that scene , to where I kind of simply just don't pick up a controller anymore.
Not to mention that they are gonna milk it to death. They already got about 5 sequels planned and put in a thing showing how they could milk it. To me GOW 2018 is an incomplete game, a part 1 of a needlessly long franchise. Whereas the old games had stories which felt complete.
@Vonter, I would say it's more that despite the fantastical settings both Hoizon and GOW 2018 make use of tired sandbox game mechanics. GOW especially annoyed me as I feel they stripped out everything that made those games there own things and replaced them with game mechanics stolen from other games. GOW lost it's very essence.
*Futaro
Fuataro is best girl.
@Vonter: I just read that the new Orphan anime is a prequel.
@Vonter: Back when I played/watched people play videogames, it was moreso Jrpgs and old Nintendo and sega genesis games.
IMO making something more complicated than it should ends making something less enjoyable to play.
Why not just watch a Let's Play. I suppose is an overreaction, but I felt very mixed how God of War 2018 was a good Father and Son story, but really annoying to play. Constant walking and climbing sequences, combat that I think it's less involved than the ones from the other games, and constant looting that lost it's charm by the 30th chest.
I don't know why but I've been feeling that I'm enjoying more playing on the Switch than the PS4. While I enjoyed RE2 and will likely replay it, other high tech games like God of War, Horizon and the like don't do much for me. Most of this realistic games have very slow starts, make the playstation fans sound like it's struggling, and if the best part of these games is the dialogue and cinematics.
Genuinely a very good sign when a 20 minute episode feels much shorter than it is and its rewarding to see an anime series possess such a degree of confidence in its direction.
Just finished it. Seriously, Kaze Fui has nailed this segment of episodes. Just homerun after homerun. Its ridiculous. I love it. Kurahara tapping into the freakin speed force
Animosh
Now only Haiji is left. When there were five episodes remaining I was wondering whether there'd be enough content to fill them all, now I'm wondering how the show is going resolve everything in one episode. But the show has barely made any missteps so far, so I'm sure it'll nail the ending too.
Animosh
Kurahara's segment was also good. He's fallen in love with running, and now that he's pursuing running for its own sake he runs faster than ever. It also helps that he's crazy talented, of course.
I want to be excited for OPM 2... but JC Staff

Also I cant wait to watch Kaze Fui when I get off work. Sounds like it was good
Animosh
Yeah, King's segment was better than expected. Pretty relatable. His issues did come a bit out of nowhere though. His segment could have been even better if there had been some hints that he has been struggling with this earlier. It's also a bit strange that there wasn't any development with his job hunt, since that what basically his defining trait throughout the series.
The developments from the first cour are absolutely paying off big time and it's amazing to see how far this cast has come since the first episode. And now it's time for Haiji's segment next episode. I can't take waiting another week for this!
Well. Bravo Kaze ga. That was an amazing display that Kakeru showed. I loved his segment. King's backstory really hit me close to home as someone who recently graduated.
Now on Boogiepop phantom episode 16....a discount Godzilla!
@Anon: I liked Densetsu no yusha even though no one did and Record of Lodoss war, always wished there had been more of both.
Animosh
Yeah, that trailer ... does not look promising.
Just as MP100 s2 takes its bow, there's going to be a lot of people expecting OPM to be as amazing as that or s1. Oh boy.
A reminder to temper your expectations for OPM s2.
After a messy start, that Prince of Smiles show has largely settled for okay. Not terrible, not amazing, but largely above-average and rather forgettable. I'd compare it to that Record of Grancrest War show from last year.
This apparently isn't like that other Doga Kobo show where the pedo bait was persistent throughout.
So uh, has anyone tried to go back to Wataten and see if the pedo bait has subsided since the first episode? Because it seems like it has for the time being.
Animosh
@Anon: no, I mean a continuation of the main story. I read about it on the anime subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/b26yj1/shaft_producer_mitsutoshi_kubota_confirming_that/
@Anon, I love Mob Psycho, but the series does have some iffy stills. Thats not an issue though, because this is an animated medium. Its meant to be viewed in motion and holy shit, does it look good in motion
However my main issue at the moment is the feeling of them dragging things out for the sake of having that be the finale. Right now episodes just don't have much content and I feel it's too dragged out for it's own good.
@Anon, Nervous isn't really the word I would use. As far as adaption is concerned I feel the series has done quite well for the most part with the only big misstep being the shows reluctance to have any inner monologue whatsoever which has lead to questionable choices to alternatively present information that was usually spoken in mind. I say the end of the arc will be done well.
@Aidan As a manga reader, are you nervous about how they'll adapt the end of the arc in Neverland?
mob psycho was amazeballs this week. It's the show that just keeps on giving. On a side note, I've seen some comments floating around about how the show has terrible still shots and I'm going to dispel that erroneous assessment in this week's discussion
SuperWooper
Search bar is in the upper right hand corner, in case you're still searching.
@Animosh You referring to that Madoka mobile game tie-in?
That’s not the search bar
Mob psycho
They decided to adapt mushoku tensei apparently. I might aswell see what all the fuss about it is as being one of the "better" isekai.
I can't imagine how the polar bear isekai or vending machine one would handle the harem aspect.
Animosh
As for Slime getting another season, I personally don't mind. It's obviously not a masterpiece, but I don't watch isekai for enlightenment. If they can offer me some relaxation after a day's work, that's enough for me.
Animosh
Some nice announcements in the past few days: Oregairu is getting a third (and final) season, and Madoka is rumored to get a sequel too (maybe focusing on Sayaka?).
Cross Ange is not trash tho, way better than those others
I'm wiser nowto certain types of story telling, making an overly long show that keeps throwing endless gotchas at you, eventually you get tired of the show trying to play with you instead of actually moving things forward.
@Anon: I've enjoyed many a trashy show/film in my time, but guilty crown, cross ange and Valvrave I couldn't finish, there are certain cases where the brain begins hurting/aching.
While different in settings and genres, they obviously have Okouchi's writing full of shock value and swerves.
Guilty Crown and Valvrave are like his most explicit attempts to recreate Geass, and look how those two fared. Kabaneri also falls into the same traps as those too.
But even he ends up letting his worst tendencies slip in with examples like Princess Principal, particularly the last episode.
Which ironic that the best shows that he's written are the ones that are not trying to recreate those Geass days like Lupin the 3rd Part V or that Devilman Netflix show.
It's amusing to see that Okouchi's worst enemy is essentially himself. Trying to recreate that Code Geass magic with ass pulls, shocking swerves, and shock value without realizing that it's never as shocking the second time around. And that has basically ruined almost every work he's attached to.
I always find it funny how almost everyone agrees that it was Biba who ruined Kabaneri. I liked that show so much before he appeared, damn. Will watch the movie but my hype is killed and I fear the movie will just be about another random human antagonist instead of the actual Kabaneri problem.
mongatari
@Lenlo@Wooper: At least we have the Tanya movie to look forward to.
*Even though I know its going for something fun.
Oh COME on Japan, just give me by communist isekai mecha show so we can be lovers again.
@Anon: Biba fucker ruined the show and it stopped allowing me to enjoy Kabeneri as a shitty ova throwback.
@Aidan: Couldn't even make good on a stupid re-incarnation premise on the ones you mentioned.
Or better yet, find some old proto-isekai and adapt it.
"Could be worse" I suppose I win by default by bringing up Parallel paradise and ruining everyones fun by reminding them of its existence.
I think my brother in laws reason for liking trashy isekai is because he sees them as an anime equivalent to exploitation films, I should just tell him to watch old ovas.
If we're doing the re-incarnation thing, just give me a full please save my earth adaptation or bokura no kiseki or that other re-incarnation thing done by Spirals artist.
Not an isekai, but a LN adaptation, Index keeps popping up again every so often, I fell out of the series a long time ago and got exhausted with it.
I feel the same way about konosuba, I wish I found it funny but I don't because I know it is going for that "fun" thing.
I think, especially with a second season, I'd eventually get fed up with it aswell and that it would get repetitive.
My brother (and probably my brother in law too) seem to enjoy Reincarnated as a slime as a casuals show and find it funny. I saw clips of the dub, the voice actors sounded like they were having fun and I think some people found the slime/dragon interactions at the start amusing. I'm just left thinking that the show is something my younger self might have gone for but I'm indifferent to it now.
Or the vending machine isekai
Or the polar bear isekai
It could be the hot spring isekai
Well guys it could be worse.
I sense a disturbance in the medium. I fear for the future.
SuperWooper
That's fantastic news, as series set in the real world give me diarrhea. I assume that the majority of Japanese otaku suffer from the same issue, given the number of isekai manga and LNs that are slowly polluting my favorite art form. :^)
As expected, that Slime isekai show has been renewed for a second season.
SuperWooper
@Anon3540676: Hey!
And despite all of these recent announcements lately, IG still hasn't announced a release date and release model for DNT s2 yet beyond theatrical screenings. =(
https://youtu.be/cxjXEIDbBxAInterestingly, seems like Banana Fish (technically not BL) did well enough for Noitamina to consider having an adaptation an actual BL manga on their block.
I would really love to see that Kabaneri film get things back on track after the second half nearly derailed it (pun intended).
Huh, well that didn't take too long for a release date regarding Psycho-Pass 3. It's slated for October.
Meanwhile, Beastars is going to be Netflix-exclusive, and interestingly, the Kabaneri film is going to air simultaneously on Netflix and Amazon alongside a limited theatrical release.
@Amagi: Did you ever read beast complex? I haven't done so yet, it seems like like the beastars authors prototype for it.
@Amagi: Hadn't known that, thanks. Also, I read the most recent 20 or so chapters Amatsuki, all has finally been revealed.
Q's (Dorohedoro) new series started, Dai Dark. It's basically Dorohedoro in space (therefore, I am completely fine with it).
This adaptation of Dororo is adding a lot of new content to its story in its adaptation. It's taking what was a much more one-dimensional story in my opinion, and giving it layers.

And yeah, Run with the Wind was great. Sure Kurahara has been the most emotional, he is the lead, but I think everyone in the cast has done a decent job
Although while I did enjoy last week, I didn't think it captured the impact the manga had.
Dororo upped the ante this week to its benefit. This episode also showed how the series can succeed even with the protagonist having a minimized screentime. I don't remember Taromaro going up against a demon in the manga, this is an advantage of this adaptation adding stuff.
...because there will be that sense of saying goodbye.
@Lenlo: And thinking it over, I've been beginning to get the feeling that this will be one of those took me on a journey shows, one of those shows where I felt I really spent alot of time with everyone in it and after it ends/in the last episode, it'll get me feeling something...
@Lenlo: While so far in the series I thi7nk the stuff around Kakeru has been the most emotionally rewarding, the middle of this episode crept up on me , the tension of the race itself was never interrupted by the flashbacks and they were well stitched into the narrative.
Just watched it. I love this show so much. How is a show about running so damn good
I want to read your comments so much but I wont watch it until tonight ;_;
You know,by the end of this month, it feels satisfying and surreal to have a show that's longer than 1 cour, not be a LN/manga adaptation, and have a (hopefully) satisfying conclusion that's also self-contained. And it's based on a novel about running.
2 episodes left. Last episode is likely going to be Haiji's segment and probably the one with the most waterworks in both his running and his past.
Nico's segment was also exceptional too, looking at his past. King's up next, and he's going up against that douche Sakaki. That guy still wants to prove that he's better than these "amateurs". Next episode is going to be King's segment and then Kurahana's as he goes up against Fujioka.
Day 2 of the Ekiden begins and boy, it's just as emotional as the first day. Huge props to Yuki for being able to make it down the slope, but man his feet took a tremendous beating.
@Anon: I actually respect that, him doing it out of spite.
For example, cinema is infuriating politically correct these days, so I'll happily enjoy some old trashy thing that is guaranteed to piss off certain people.
If I really really don't like something, then end up enjoying something oldskool trashy/exploitative, its an even better show of contempt for the thing I disliked.
I've stopped watching trash ironically now though, to unironically enjoying it as trash and cynically as a reaction to modern hollywood and modern anime trends.
And i am largely against doing that.
I guess I enjoyed parts of both seed series but overall I consider them a low point for the franchise, I essentially fastforwarded through parts of both.
Anonymous3532051
The whole thing comes off as a vindictive screed from the show's producer towards Sunrise because they won't let him direct another show after the mess that was Gundam Seed Destiny.
My introduction to anime was in the late 90s through exploitative ovas, can't believe I still haven't seen angel cop or dumb shit like Kenya boy. In the latters case it has the misfortune of being incredibly dated.
Anonymous3532051
But most of the show isn't really like that afterwards apart from the continued bloodshed, and fan service. There's something up with that if they were going to make such drastic tonal shifts. That had to be intentional.
Anonymous3532051
So bam! First three episodes of Cross Ange contains blatant racism, wanton bloodshed and violence, people dying left and right, lesbian sex, and that really disturbing "cavity check" at the end of episode 1. This must've been done on purpose because Fukuda wanted it to prove some point I guess?
Anonymous3532051
I recall he said prior to that show's airing that he was frustrated that TV content regulations had grown even more strict compared to when Seed was on the air back in 2002, and that Seed wouldn't even be the same had he made it today.
Anonymous3532051
God, Cross Ange feels like a dare made by Gundam Seed's director to create a show with the intent of shocking its audience with edgy material since he produced it.
Anonymous3532051
So I guess at this point, Netflix has officially stopped trying to license anime (and delaying their Western premiers by months after the Japanese airing concludes) since they're announcing nothing but original productions lately. As long as they put out good content like they promised to the anime community.
I'm a bit baffled by people arguing Cross Ange is good. Since it's hard to make a case of something being soo good at being baad.
WatchMojo made a list of the top ten anime so bad they're good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1HCnZSriig
Also other than that I'm glad that Totsukuni no shoujo is getting an ova which could possibly lead to a bigger adaptation.
I hope bokura no kiseki ends soon too so I can just re-read marathon it aswell, just give both full anime adaptations.
I'm 22 chapters behind in Amatsuki, I didn't know it had ended, only a few volumes left to be scanned/translated, then I can re-read the whole thing. This thing had very slow updates, which made an already complex manga harder to follow.
Didn't think anyone would actually remember/care about spriggan, I remember parts of it when the ova aired in the late 90s/early 2000s. But i can't recall any opinion I had on it.
I wonder how they'll deal with the anti-American themes though that the source material had (and I think the English adaptations needed to tone down)? Granted, it's a lot easier nowadays to paint America as the bad guy given who's running it lol.
Spriggan adaptation coming to Netflix from David Production huh? Haven't heard of this property in a long time. There was a film iirc that came out 20 years ago.
I loved Paranoia agent. It really was a great show
Oh boy. Just watched Paranoia Agent 8. That got weird. This entire show is weird. I like it.
SuperWooper
Yeah, I'm bummed about the Chihayafuru delay. On the upside, I get to treasure my memories of the first two seasons for six more months before they're tainted by S3.
For others like myself who'd been waiting for them , Chihayafuru season 3 and 7 seeds got pushed back to another season instead.
Even still, perhaps a clean slate is probably for the best. At least in my book.
So, they're going ahead with Psycho-Pass 3 then huh? Again no Urobuchi, but IG will handle this one unlike season 2 (please no Ubukata) and it'll feature a new cast. I assume it'll be written by those who did the recent film trilogy. No Akane it seems, but one can hope for a supporting role or cameo.
@Kaiser: yeah, so in love with it right now. I hope the rest of the show can keeps its quirky nature up
@Mario: I watched tsuritama as it was airing, I remember it as you describe it, though I'd argue if I watched again now, I'd have expectations for it to be stranger. But yes, that said weirdness drew me to the show.
My goodness, my poor baby Shindo.
I think we'll be seeing how Haiji got that scar in the first place eventually, now that we've seen more and more parts of his past. It looks like his father overworked him to a point in high school where a horrible accident occurred, requiring leg surgery. Because the experience was so horrifying to him at the time, Haiji was so reluctant to run for several years. At least, that's what I think.
So I decided to watch Tsuritama, 3 episodes in and it’s such a blast. It’s weird to say this on a show about a bunch of boys fishing but it’s refreshing, quirky, oddball and original. Love the music so far as well. I’m just not sure how it can wrap up the story.
Animosh
And yeah, a slow pace is perfect for episodic series. And the nice thing about them is that I don't get lost in a binge watching/reading session ... which quite regularly happens with against my better judgment. :(
Watching Shindo struggle to run in his condition was hard to watch, but it was a relief to see him make it to the end alright, even if the whole team has fallen behind as a result. The next day of the marathon should be an exciting climax for the last three episodes.
Until eventually i finished it.
I've had an issue with really episodic stuff in the past, even the good stuff like mushishi, marathoning it is harder . i just ended up irregularly dipping in and out of the manga.
Having read 50 chapters on Kaguya or so, I had considered skipping ahead or something for the sake of getting to the later ones and following it one month/one week at a time.
One thing that I thought about, if anyone bothered to keep a scorecard of who has the most victories, Kaguya or Shirogane.
I think with these very long ongoing episodic manga comedies, finding them at the beginning of their run is probably better, then following once a week/month rather than marathoning to catch up. I think they're especially meant to be read a one chapter a week/month pace.
Animosh
I do agree with your complaint that it can be a bit gimmicky, by the way. It's a fun show, but it's already beginning to lose some of its freshness. There's only so many times you can make me care about a tiny little bit of progress.

Kemurikusa – 11

At long last, we have an entire episode in flashback and explains much of its Kemurikusa’s rich settings. Even at the risk of over-informed us with details, all the information we learn this week is both unexpected, and makes total sense. Before we get into the details, (AND WHAT A MAJOR REVEAL), I feel the […]

Winter 2019 Summary – Week 9-10

Another two weeks have passed, and Summer Season is coming in sight. It’s the time where most shows get busy as they reach their final arc. Mob Psycho 100 ventures into its shounen roots,  Run with the Wind does extremely well in its last leg, literally, and Kemurikusa girls part way emotionally. Let’s see how these 4 shows below perform in […]

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai – 09/10 [The Vagabond Leader/ The Aggressive Bombers]

Welp, Kotobuki is getting really good. Normally this is the time where shows reach its final overarching arc, and sometimes it loses a bit of it magic because of that (like what I currently have with Gotobun), but with its tongue-in-cheek manner and its main storyline that is totally unexpected but weirdly fit to the […]

Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) – 15/16 [Overdrive: The King of Distortion 2/3]

The nightmare never seems to end. During episode 15, we have three separate segments of characters stuck in their own dreams: Makoto’s mother, Sakiko and Kentarou. Play into Boogiepop’s strength, these characters have their own drama and each of their story explores different aspect of this phenomenal, all related to the King of Distortion himself. […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 22 [Embrace Your Loneliness]

Hello all and welcome to the penultimate episode of Kaze Fui! This week we see King’s struggle, Kurahara takes off and Sakaki becomes a little less hate-able. Lets take off running, we have a lot to cover! In terms of animation and production, Kaze Fui surprised me this week. I didn’t think that, after Yuki […]

Kemurikusa – 08/09/10

Welp, I don’t think I have taken that long break before since I started blogging. My life has been busier than usual lately and I also feel a little bit burnt out from blogging lately. Writing can be a pain sometimes. Hopefully this is just a temporary slump because I’m not intending to stop blogging […]

Dororo – 11 [The Story of Banmon, Part 1]

Lets skip the preamble this week and just dive in to Dororo! On this episode our plucky pair explore Daigo’s city, fight some fox spirits and get in a bit of a pickle. Lets go! Startin off, Dororo had some interesting visuals and colors this week. With the Fox Spirits and the Crazy Woman sticking […]

Mob Psycho 100 S2 – 11 [Guidance ~Psychic Sensor~]

Hello and welcome once more to the Mob Psycho 100 blog, where I gush about Mob Psycho 100! This week see’s an old villains return, multiple defeats and more of Mob’s growth. Lets dive in! Now, at this point I feel like a broken record when talking about Mob Psycho’s animation. But the fact is, […]

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai – 10

There are times when I judge anime series based on the number of screencaps I’m compelled to take per episode. This was one of those times. After closing the video and taking a look at my desktop, I was unsurprised to see it littered with mpv-shot files, all featuring distinct facial expressions, poses, and situations […]

A quick and dirty review of Garo: Vanishing Line

What it claims to be about: A secret order of knights and alchemists, the Makai Knights and Alchemists, fight horrifying creatures called Hollows who prey on human weakness .Part of the media franchise spanning anime and live action shows, this iteration is set in modern metropolis and concerns the attempts of Sword, the strongest Makai […]

Planetes Anime Review – 89/100

If there is one thing I have lost watching seasonal anime, it is patience. Every week I expect something to happen, some kind of payoff, to make watching that week worth it. Luckily, Planetes as brought that back to me. Its depth of writing, characters, and general structure belay an anime of a different age. […]

Goblin Slayer Anime Review – 60/100

The controversial nature of this shows opening episode may have many turning away from it due to believing it’s nothing but shock value but that truly isn’t what Goblin Slayer is. I will say that the manga may hold some truth to that statement but thanks to some tasteful censoring(Yes, sometimes censoring can be a […]

Zombieland Saga Anime Review – 60/100

Zombieland Saga was a show that came out of the gate guns blazing, no one expected it nor did anyone predict it but it left a strong impression when it first aired it’s starting episodes. Originally considered to be another zombie apocalypse anime, it overthrew expectations by turning out to be a zombie idol anime. […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 87/100

Let it be known that I’ve never been a fan of Trigger. For me, they’re one of the most style-with-no-substance studio on Earth with a tendency for god-awful fanservice, and total nonsense in terms of story and characters. Yet GRIDMAN completely caught me off guard in the first two episodes, and from there, there was […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 86/100

If anyone has been familiar with the first season of Thunderbolt Fantasy, you’d find yourself a lot to enjoy in this second installment. Served as a sequel, but not a direct continuation to the first, viewers don’t need the knowledge of the original in order to enjoy this ride. Thunderbolt 2 carries many trademarks that […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara (2018 Fall) Anime Review – 73/100

In the last few years, it’s great to see P.A Works has slowly created their own studio identity, putting more original works with consistent production values. Just in 2018, they produced 4 shows (quite a good number if you ask me), 3 of them were original: Maquia, Sirius the Jaeger and Irozuku. As I said, […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Anime Review – 82/100

In the wake of many a school based light novel show this may be the small bits of fresh air was can savor out of this overdone setting. Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl(Or by its japanese title above) is a series not about rascals or bunny girls but instead about contextualising common high […]

Banana Fish Anime Review – 72/100

Some days, I wonder what it is with America and anime about organized crime. Baccano!, 91 Days, Blood Blockade Battlefront, all set in America, all involving criminal underworlds. Today, I get to add another to that list in the form of Banana Fish. Much more grounded than the others, it’s story dates all the way […]