Posted by Lenlo on 16 October 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Mahoutsukai no Yome

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the world and magic itself. Lets jump in!

Mahoutsukai opens with its OP, which I doubt I will ever tire of. It then shows Chise on a plane, right before she sold herself into slavery. We see glimpses of her past, her family and their treatment of her. Apparently they didn’t want her. This most likely has to do with her being a Sleigh Beggy, something I hope we learn more about. Then the dream ends and we cut to Chise in her bed, waking 2 days after episode 1. She gets up, goes to the kitchen and we see Ainsworth and the maid. Mahoutsukai gives us some information here. That the maid is named Silky and that she is a fairy. A type that does housework, more of a landlady than a maid apparently. It’s just enough information to tide us over while actually addressing her existence. After that Ainsworth details the plans for the episode.

According to Ainsworth they will be venturing to London. There they will meet some people and get Chise the basic items she will need as an apprentice. During this conversation Ainsworth finishes writing a letter. We get to see another bit of quality animation as Ainsworth turns the letter into a sort of bird, which then flies off to its recipient. Then the two head off to the city. To avoid stares because of his odd head, Ainsworth covers it with an illusion. Gives himself blonde hair and tired eyes, its relatively handsome. To bad for him though, Chise thinks it looks fake. Poor Ainsworth.

The pair soon arrives at their destination, a bookstore. That is a front however, as Ainsworth leads Chise to the back, where we see the real purpose of their visit. A room filled with magical creatures, gems and creations. There we meet Angelica Burley, an Magus Artificer. Some light hearted conversation, subtle jokes about clean money and how exactly Ainsworth got Chise. For the most part, its some good humor. The magical animals crawling everywhere are a joy to watch.

Eventually Ainsworth is sent out and Angelica spends some time alone with Chise. She explains some more about magic, the difference between it and sorcery, and what exactly she does. As a bit of a demonstration, Angelica tells Chise to make a flower out of a crystal, detailing how to do it. In line with being a special case though, Chise goes far beyond a simple flower. She thinks back to her time with her mother, a field of flowers. A flash of magic and a good portion of the room becomes covered in crystal as a field of frosted crystal forms. Ainsworth appears, telling Angelica Chise is a Sleigh Beggy, yet his over the shoulder look appears very sinister here. Perhaps he isn’t as good natured as we are lead to believe.

Angelic forgives Chise for what occurred, to her surprise, and simply asks her to clean it up. Meanwhile Angelica herself prepares the items Ainsworth came shopping for in the first place. With their business concluded, Ainsworth and Chise head back home. There is some conversation on the walk, Ainsworth learning more about Chise, before the two arrive home. There we see someone new, a priest named Simon Cullum. No one in the house seems to like Simon, but apparently he has business. He places 3 envelopes on the table and tasks Ainsworth to deal with the problems. Their business concluded, Simon leaves and Ainsworth mentions that its time for their honeymoon.

The episode ends with the two walking across Iceland, bundled up. They arrived to check up on some dragons. In a bit of a rushed way, one suddenly appears in front of Chise, grabbing her and flying away. We see a rider, who mentions that they are heading to the “Last Land of the Dragons”. Cut to the ED. All in all I enjoyed the episode. Lots of pretty scenes, some good information and we appear to have started a new arc. My only concern is the pacing at the end. We rushed right into the whole dragon’s business and Chise getting kidnapped. We needed to jump into an arc, I understand, but this felt a bit rushed.

Regardless I am looking forward to the next episode, and I hope you are to. See you next week!

1. Vonter says:

Not to offend. But this read more like a summary than an impression of the episode. More than writing point by point on what happened, I think it should be more about the sense you got from the episode, why is it rushed, and any other more proper opinions on what it did good or did bad that stood out.

What I’m not sure if I like is the premise of Chise selling herself. Unlike the trope of having a bad home like in Harry Potter, it feels odd to me, that selling herself brought her to a (so far) better home.

The Honeymoon comments could be interpret as romantic yet they sounded out of place, and despite being mentioned twice in the episode, I don’t know if those were a joke or not.

Finally, the jokes and gags played with chibi character designs feel a bit forced, like the ones Full Metal Alchemist had. I suppose it’s just to add levity.

• Lenlo says:

Thank you. I have worried about this for the past few weeks but never knew what others thought. I wanted to put more of my thoughts in, but I have a tendency to be wordy and dont want to get to long.

I’ll cut down on the point by point and get more general thoughts in. Point-by-point was simply easier to go through everything that occurred in a reasonable order.

For your other comments. For me the self-slavery will make it or break it by how perfect her life ends up being here. I mentioned the sinister overtones of Ainsworth in certain places, so I expect things to not be all flowers and roses for her.

Honeymoon comments I think were a joke? I interpreted it as such. Finally, yes the chibi jokes were a bit much. Small things like the clean money gag or the Arcanist pointing out that he bought a girl at a slave auction being suspicious were the ones I prefered more of. The chibi aspect just takes away.

• Lenlo says:

I am also covering Inuyashiki this season, so if you are interested in that, make sure to tell me your thoughts there to!

I expect my writing will change alot this season.

2. KTravlos says:

I do think the bride part really is unnecessary for the show IMHO. The apprentice and enter magical world parts could hold it more than enough. That said from what I have read there is a reason for the bride part.

The slavery issue did not grate as much as I thought. Partly because Chise did not feel like a slave. From the treatment of the “seller” to her own stance it seemed like she was always master of her destiny in the whole scene. We will have to see how it plays out though with the Elias-Chise interaction.

• Lenlo says:

From what I have read, we will eventually learn that Ainsworth thinks a bride is actually a “Woman who lives with him”. He has some issues understanding regular human society.

If this is true, then yay. Id love to see him with some gaps in his knowledge.

• Bokusenou says:

That’s interesting, because right now he’s just kind of creeping me out (treating her like a dog & calling her puppy, touching her face without asking, etc), he just keeps reminding me of a possessive boyfriend-type character, which just makes my skin crawl…

Anyways, thanks for the review! Next time definitely don’t be afraid to add more of your opinions on the series and reactions to certain scenes, etc. It helps give readers like me more of a sense of what you felt was strong or weak about an episode, which is helpful in deciding whether to watch some series or not.

• Lenlo says:

I appreciate the feedback. Still new to this. Most of the writing I have done before has been analytical, because of my career, so adding in opinion is something I will be doing more and more of.

The next episode should hopefully deal with that.

• Victim says:

I also agree the show would be better off, it needs no paedophilic connotations, not in the slightest. Humorous or not. Not on top of brushing off slavery and romanticizing the Stockholm syndrome. I’m a slave, but hey I’m free, so it’s cool. And maybe he even likes me!

So far, the show is falling short of its promises (of the OVAs), selling me some kind of twisted shoujo dream instead. I mean, Chise already had to be saved once and now she gets kidnapped? I sincerely hope the show will start to get it’s shit together. I’m not much hopeful, since the settings and characters all look like from a story that tries to sell ‘living happily ever after in seclusion’.

Something horribly irks me about it. Is this a psychological horror about magic an escape from reality for little girls?

• Lenlo says:

Depends on how she gets out of this kidnapping. If she gets out on her own, then I think its fine. Shes empowering herself. If Ainsworth has to save her again, then there will be issues.

Based on the OP, I think its not going to be all sunshine and roses forever though. Some shots of Ainsworth give me a sinister overtone to him.

Personally, I dont see this as stockholm syndrome. Shes not trapped there, she can leave whenever she wants. Ainsworth said as much in the first episode.

• Victim says:

He saved her, but in a way that gives him complete power over her. He’s got money, he’s got power, he’s got establishment, he OWNS her. He holds her in moral debt – that’s not how you do relationships. He gives her food, she continues to live because of him. She knows not where she is, why is she there or what’s about to happen. She is a captive. And she likes it (I mean the audience is supposed to).

Can she do whatever? There certainly is an illusion of that being a case, but let’s not get ahead. Just because he isn’t abusing his power, doesn’t mean he is not holding it. He CAN just command her anything he wants and she would obey, let’s not pretend.

She left for 5 minutes and he is onto her bringing her back. It does not matter why. The fact is, she can’t just leave. He holds her like she is his property. He gives her commands (when he gets serious). He forces future onto her without much thought about what she wants. He already got her naked.

It’s just not funny. I see glorified SS pretty clearly, but then again, I’m just a lousy shrink-wannabe.

• Victim says:

I think it’s a bit unfair to hold this all against the author, since ultimately, I think this is just another of numerous cases where media presents SS as something useful and meaningful, because the writer himself does not notice, because he himself has been sold the same food for all these years, like everybody else.

But, I see a problem, so I feel the urge to point it out.

3. Victim says:

Since the author appears to appreciate some basic feedback, I’ll happily chip in with my own.

Didn’t read it.

As someone who basically just watched the thing, I truly do not need it reiterated in written form. I’m here for opinions (the more eccentric and opinionated, the better), I want people (writers) to tell me I’m wrong and sell me their ideas, if they can’t do that, I leave.

However, my ultimate point is: who cares about what I think and want. You should write in the format YOU prefer to write in, write about things YOU feel comfortable writing about in length you feel is necessary to make a point and keep doing that, but while striving to reach a balance between what you want, what the blog owner wants and what the readers want. So I guess, take what you can from the feedback, but find your own thing. If you need to make a mistake to find it, so be it.

4. KTravlos says:

On a second reading of my post I do think I was being stupid. If I can explain it I do think that coming from the depiction of slavery in Bahamut VS, to the depiction of slavery in Ancient Magus Bride, might had mucked up my empathy meter. Now that I think about it, I am a bit uncomfortable with the whole slavery and bride thing. I will still give the show a chance because the premise beyond that sounds interesting.

I will point this out though. Chise was suicidal when she decided to sell herself to slavery. There is a part of me that thinks this partly explains her reaction to the whole situation. I guess in one way Elias does stand under an inquisition know. How he uses the undoubtedly real power he has here over her will greatly determine the shows worth for me. On another level how Chise reacts to that situation.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

I also feel the slavery bride stuff is the biggest question mark for me right now. I, on the other hand, agree and believe it’s intentional that Chise was suicidal trying to sell herself to slavery. She’s an emotional damaged girl to the point she basically gave up her whole life (now that I think about it, where does the money go to? Chise or the agency????) Her saying “I don’t handle pain very well” cut me deeply. Really hope they address the bride and slavery thing with reasonable thoughts because they’re playing with fire here.

• Konstantinos Travlos says:

Agency got the money. So yes she was sold as a slave even if she was ok with it (in this sense she was like most ancient greek slaves who would be people who sold themselves to slavery to escape debt).

Yeah, I will really be despondent if they muck it up. Because I actually do like the series vibe a lot, and despite everything think Elias is an interesting character.

5. Suburbanbanshee says:

First off, it’s overwhelmingly obvious that this is a show deep in Celtic folklore. And slavery was something that existed in Celtic Britain. There were also various pre-Christian/early medieval forms of marriage in Wales and Ireland (as well as among the Saxons et al), and they were mostly distinguished by “what was the legal/social status of each partner” and “how much does each person own, coming in”.

The show mixes this up with apprenticeship, which could be either a form of fosterage, or a form of indentured servitude.

And finally, we mix things up with older attitudes towards age expectations. In most of these societies, Our Heroine would be an adult for most legal purposes, other than selling land.

If you bring a modern girl into a radically different set of societal norms, of course it is going to be creepy at best. That doesn’t mean that the author is advocating Fairyland Magical Laws For All; in fact, there seems to be some societal satire going on, both of modern and more ancient ways. Throw in the fantasy elements, and it is extremely hard to tell what will happen next.

But actually, it was extremely important for most Celtic societies to make sure that the guest or new arrival received the full three forms of hospitality: food, drink, and a bath. Usually clothes, too. Nakedness was not all that big a thing, and being shown to the bath by your host or your host’s wife, instead of a servant, was a sign of high status.

The first ep seems to have been playing a joke with this. Kind of a hentai joke, but a lot of the Celtic legends included as much earthy humor as the Japanese ones.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

And of course a Silkie/selkie/selchie is a sealwoman. So either this one has a sealskin somewhere hidden around the house, or somebody burned it or stole it and she’s stuck in this form. (Haven’t read the manga.)

Anyway… Ainsworth also seems to be “stuck” in another form — that of a dancer wearing a stag-skull costume, such as is worn in the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance. The fake head has replaced his real head.

(There’s a lot of speculation, but it actually seems to be a variation on a standard hobbyhorse dance, from relatively modern times. So Ainsworth is probably a newbie, from a fairy’s POV, even though he seems old to the human mages at the slave auction.)

So it may be that some of the problem is that Ainsworth has been forgetting normal human ways, even from his own time, and replacing them with the magical ones.

Re: “Bride” meaning “a woman who lives in the same house without marrying or consummating the marriage” — Again, this shows up in a lot of fairy tales and legends. The implication is usually that the guy is inviting the woman to break a curse; then they can get married and live happily ever after.

• Suburbanbanshee says:

Actually, even in medieval times in most of Europe, they were very into making sure the guest got a chance to take a nice hot bath, first thing. Partly as a survival of Roman niceties, and partly because there was a lot of cold and wet in Europe.

So it shows up as a trope in medieval adventure stories and love stories. The knight is more likely to get shown to a bath by his male host if it’s an adventure, and more likely to get shown in by his wife or daughter if it’s a love story. Heh. (Monty Python’s Holy Grail movie parodies this bit at one point.)

• Victim says:

“slavery was something that existed”

There is no problem with depiction of slavery. It’s the way it’s presented. In the same way I hate on glorification of war in western games, I hate on glorification of emotional abuse in romance or objectification of women in harem shows. It is hypocritical, contradictory and plain stupid.

• Lenlo says:

I understand the distaste of the glorification of it, but I dont see how its hypocritical or not worth showing.

The distasteful aspects of things like Slavery or Emotional Abuse deserve to be depicted as well. If everything depicted Slavery and those who practice it as irredeemably evil, things would get stale quickly and I think we would lose something. Does Mahoutsukai depict it poorly? We will find out. But I see no reason to lambast it so early.

Its also worth noting, Japan doesn’t have the same history with Slavery that the West does. So I am sure there are some very different connotations to it over there.

• Victim says:

I dislike hijacking comment section with personal agendas and I do not want to cause a flame, but I suppose as far as we have a civilized discussion, more comments will not hurt anyone. In the end we will have to agree to differences in our opinions, which are always based on intuition coming from the subjective experiences and knowledge we gained through our lives. But expressing them and talking them out may bring about greater understanding, so here I go:

“The distasteful aspects deserve to be depicted”
          Again, there is never problem with depiction of . It’s always about presentation and the message.

When someone hurts you, you should be hurt. If you fall in love with that person instead (let’s exaggerate) and it is presented as if everything is ok, we have a problem.

I’m only judging the 2 episodes here, but any normal person in Chise’s place would gtfo of there. Noone has the right to run my life, not Elias, nor anyone and it does not matter whether they are malicious vampire or good guy Greg. Yet this show says it does not matter as long as the guy has ‘right’ intentions.

Does anyone buy this? Did Chise actually decide to stay (without being manipulated and basically forced against any will she might have had)? No. Why doesn’t the adult do the responsible thing and ask her directly: “do you want to stay here?”. Would he say ‘okey’ if she said no?

On top of it, the series has no breaks when it comes to making a joke of all this, like stalking (he saved her so it is alright), intimate physical contact, giving no chance to express yourself, suggesting marriage, or leaving her with more strangers that encourage her to do weird shit (with fairies she almost loses her life, with Angelica’s magic teaching getting out of hand)… Is this for real?

These would work out, maybe, if she gave consent, but she did not, nor she can because guess what, she is a child! This makes it completely wrong.

Chise: “Apprentice or bride, which one do I take seriously?”
          How about neither?!
          The show completely ignores this option, taking away any power/freedom she may have. Instead, we have secondary characters that ‘oppose’ Elias and provide an illusion that Chise can, in theory, leave whenever she wants. Right.

The moment Elias bought Chise and ‘proved’ he is not a pedo was the moment we ‘established’ a premise that everything he says is good and Chise should (and will) do. Elias was intentionally framed as mysterious and powerful when he came to buy Chise and the show definitely wanted to provide catharsis by putting her in position of no control, yet not hurting her, which would (in theory) cause her to realize her fear and hopelessness is just what she perceives, not the reality.

The problem however left us in situation of Elias doing everything and Chise the doll complying because he ‘is her saviour’ or because he didn’t hurt her before. It’s not about whether he did, is or will hurt her, it is only about whether he can. She has no defenses against him and he IS exploiting it everytime he so much as tells her ‘it’s allright’. It’s manipulation of her will without her intention. It is what parents do. But he is not her parent. He is just a guy. Who bought her! It’s sick. And here it is framed as a natural thing and even romantically.

Hypocrisy: “feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not”

I hope I have managed to explain where I’m coming from. I don’t mean this show is bad or terribly wrong, but it commits to fallacies that I can not overlook and it hurts particularly when the show takes itself seriously. This one isn’t objectively portraying Chise’s circumstances. It has a bias to slowly grow them intimate and unfortunately, not in the best way so far.

TLDR
          One does not simply shock traumatized children back on their feet by isolating them in his magical castle.

• Lenlo says:

“like stalking”, dangerous magical forest. Seemed to me like a parent making sure a child got home safe. He only intervened when it got dangerous. Shes only 16 afterall.

“intimate physical contact”, Im not sure intimate is the correct word here, as it was just putting her in a bath. Remember cultural differences.

“suggesting marriage”, its been said before, but I dont believe Elias knows what marriage or a bride is. Not as we do atleast. Its part of his character that he knows little of actual society.

“leaving her with more strangers that encourage her to do weird shit”, The fairies approached her in the middle of the night, so he didnt leave her with them. Magic hardly seems weird, as its suggested what she was doing was innocent enough by the young child of Angelica’s who entered earlier in the scene.

Personally, I disagree with the assessment. It was her agency that got her here in the first place, as she placed herself into slavery. If she was forced into this, you’d have a point, but its made clear she chose this, for whatever reason. You say no one would stay in that house if given the option to leave, yet is being stranded homeless in a foreign country better?

I also dont see it as romantic, not yet atleast. More of a surrogate father/daughter.

Each their own though.

• Victim says:

Im not going to respond to each of the points (you’ve made some good arguments and I believe we can leave it at that), instead I’ll focus on the one that is interesting:

“I dont believe Elias knows what marriage is”

The knowledge of the character is not what matters here, it is the intended effect of the message the viewer receives. Behind every joke, therein hides a bit of truth. It is not the character that takes a jab at Chise’s predicament, it is the show itself.

PS: Thx for not leaving me out there like a self-serving lunatic pinning his stupidly long comment badges all over the net.

• Lenlo says:

Someone takes the time to write out a long post detailing their opinions and reasons why they believe that, I figure it would be rude to not at the very least acknowledge it.

• silver says:

I’m just glad that folks here can discuss such emotionally-charged topics without devolving into slinging ad hominems at each other. It’s a thoughtful exchange, and I’m closer to Lenlo in opinion, so I appreciate Victim’s counterargument.

6. KTravlos says:

I think victim has a point. The only defense I might give to the show is the fact that Chise seemed to be between committing suicide and doing what she did. Now I have never been in deep depression in my life (U have been depressed, but not to the suicide point) so I cannot say how people in that condition react. But perhaps Chise’s passiveness might have to do with it. Victim is right, Elias is not her father. But perhaps we should start viewing him as that? The incongruity between what he thinks he is doing “marriage-bride-apprentiship” and what he is doing “father figure” might be part of the goal of the show. I do think if you decide to see Elias as a father-figure (or parent if you wish to leave out the gender relations) things become a bit less weird….except for the bloody marriage thing! If the show is trying to say marriage is a bit like being a parent, that is fallacious. If it is trying to say, ha look at this guy who mixes being a parent/mentor with being married, that is also fallacious. I still think the whole marriage angle was needless (there are other ways to show Elias lack of knowledge of humans).

Anyway I am choosing to see Elias as a parent-figure, and willing to tolerate, barely the shows terrible attempt at a meta-joke. Because I do like Elias, and do like the premise. So let us see where they are taking it.

• Victim says:

It does seem that Chise is currently trying to figure out whether to see Elias as a parent figure or a romantic partner, but first and foremost, she needs to see him as an individual and I think that is where this show is headed to. Whatever will be between them at that point is fine.

I agree that seeing Elias as a parent puts the show into a better light, but there is a process that is a prerequisite of that and I feel like its been largely skipped over.

I do believe this will simply stop matter in the episodes to come.

@Silver: There are sad moments certainly but plenty of humour.
Man, I sure hope Ichirou Inuyashiki and Hiro Shishigami make out, everything is just building up to that
silver
I actually have only watched one or two episodes of this season of 3-gatsu, but its rising scores and rave reviews are making me really excited! I've only put it off because it's somewhat emotionally tiring for me
@Kaiser: Well, after the first season of 3-gatsu ended, I did skim ahead to this bullying arc so I already know this is going to be powerful, yet the anime still wow me over and over
Also it can be tricky selecting a season sequel since some old series had like 50 to 100 episodes, what counted as a season then?
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It's more common in videogames (especially Capcom) than in other mediums. Megaman 2, RE 2, Street Fighter 2, Dino Crisis 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.
Actually in a rarity, a sequel season is better than the first.
Which makes my enjoyment of sangatsu so strange.
And I generally do not like game/sports orientated shows.
That you slightlySuper-erMario and superwooper!
And my reaction to the show is such, that I enjoyed it enough to make such a huge pot about it.
Also I want Akari to be my mom and Hina is adorable without being annoyingly so and Kana Hanazawa is doing a good job voicing her.

And whoever said it is right, the op/ed songs are worth listening to, for once I’m not skipping them.
At this point it feels as if by the end of the series I’ll come off it thinking that I don’t want to say goodbye to these characters.
I don’t think as of just yet it complete lives up to honey and clovers legacy though.
I never cared about Harunobu initially, but recent episodes have changed this.
Dull parts of the manga are easier to get through for me in the anime due to Shaft elevating the material with one of the better uses of their visual gimmicks.
Giving the series another chance, even though I won’t fully embrace the humour, it does now and then manage to make me laugh a little.
The bullying arc centering on Hina and the shows treatment of it is better than most anime bullying stories and has provided the most emotionally rewarding aspect of the show.
Characters that are assholes like Kyouko’s boyfriend, Kyouko herself I’m finding somewhat more sympathetic and want to see more to their personal drama.
However I do genuinely think that the series does a good job of allowing dramatic moments to creep up on the viewer, that early scene of Hina crying over her mother, Rei’s family flashbacks, Akari’s concerns about Hina/the stuff with her dad, all the scenes with Kyouko do carry an effective and solid dramatic weight to them.
I feel it starts very strong, making a great first impression, then kind of has these dull moments that make it sort of a slog at times to get through, unfortunately I have no interest in chess/shougi and no knowledge the show tries to give me is going to stick or allow me to embrace that.
Through jumping back and forth between the anime and manga, I can say I have no caught up to where I will now watch March comes like a lion on a weekly basis.
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki
Mmmmmm the suffering of all those innocent people feeding his God boner, this is why I love Inuyashiki
Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.
Niello
@Kaiser, Ugh my phone gitched. What I meant to say was that background was unexpected. Now I see why you're enjoying CotW though.
@Kaiser, That's unexpected.
I enjoyed how outright surreal Arakawa was.
@Amagi: It bothers me that they're stuffing multiple tales into single episodes.

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100