Posted by Lenlo on 20 October 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Inuyashiki

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in!

First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. This was his episode, focusing almost entirely on him. Setting him up as the main antagonist for the rest of the season and quickly defining who he is. I have to say I was not prepared for him. It has been a long time since an anime has legitimately unsettled me, and Shishigami did just that. Initially, he put me off though. His tone and general voice felt fake, forced. All of his emotions felt like a front. As the episode went on however, it became clear that this was a deliberate choice. It outlined his lack of emotion with both words and actions.

We see throughout the episode a slow build up of his character. He starts a normal, if demure, high school kid. Visiting his friends and trying to get them back to school. Over the course of the day however, as the sun goes from high in the sky in settling into night, he gets more and more extreme. He starts with scaring birds, then killing them. Talking about suicide casually, jumping in front of trains. He moves to hacking TVs at the store and causing a small panic by the owners. Then he leaps into conducting a massive car wreck, injuring or killing dozens of people. All the while theres not even a smile on his face. He doesn’t care, this means nothing to him. He is a sociopath and his actions speak for themselves, getting more and more extreme as the day goes on.

Speaking of those extreme actions, we cant not talk about the family. After spending a day with his friend, showing off his powers and causing massive car wrecks, Shishigami heads home. However he makes a pit stop at a random house, chosen by spinning in a circle and pointing. Its playful, as if this is all a game to him. Yet what follows is one of the most brutal sequences I have seen in quite a while. He butchers the mother, tortures the father and eventually leaves the son to drown in a pool of blood. He interrogates their young daughter, talking like he would at school, asking about her favorite One Piece character. Only to off her like the rest. Why? My guess would be to feel human again.

You see, there is this interesting dichotomy between Inuyashiki and Shishigami you see. Both have had the same thing happen, both have lost their human bodies and seemingly their humanity. But they deal with it in very different ways. Inuyashiki, as we saw in episode 1, feels alive and emboldened by saving people. By using his powers and doing something more with his life. By contrast, Shishigami looks to be trying to stimulate his emotions with increasingly brutal acts. Things that horrify others, just for the smallest bit of emotion. Almost like experiencing them through other people. Shishigami seems to have become less human in this transformation while Inuyashiki more human.

Naturally this sets them on a collision course. With his new body and predilection for saving people, Inuyashiki has apparently made it a habit of listening for things to do upon getting home. Tonight, he hears the daughter from before begging for her life. He runs out the door and drives to her, hes going to save her! But he comes up short. The superhero trope of saving everyone is shut down, as Inuyashiki fails to get to her in time. His reaction inside the car, almost crying at his failure, head bowed into the steering wheel was touching. Perhaps I was still emotionally sensitive after the family scenes, but I felt Inuyashiki’s grief. Forging on, he finally arrives at the house, one so similar to his own.

Normally, this is where I would expect it to end. Our hero sees the carnage and vows to find the one responsible, creating a season long chase. However instead, he finds that Shishigami has yet to leave. In his post murder-high state, Shishigami has no time for games and pop, down goes our hero. He wanders out into the night, done for the day. But what do we see? Inuyashiki striding out of the house like the Terminator, music swelling. I loved this entire sequence, as it really sold that transformation of our hero to me. I thought he would have trouble fighting, with his meek personality. Yet now he looks like a father prepared to disciple an unruly child.

For me, this episode was a fantastic follow up to the first episode. It introduced the central conflict, clearly defined our villain and made him interesting, to me at least. It leaped headfirst into the Psychological Thriller tags it has and cemented the tone for the rest of the season. The CGI, outside of the mechanical parts, still has some issues however. The cars and certain shots with a 3D human for Shishigami looked out of place. Anytime the mechanical parts were on show though really stood out. As for music and sound, it worked. Our main characters voices are still off compared to everyone elses, but it makes them stand out. Makes them different from the rest and helps sell me on their lack of passion.

All in all, I cannot wait for next episode and inevitable battle between our two leads. See you next week for another episode of Inuyashiki!

1. silver says:

I have a fairly high threshold for gore and such, but this episode made me deeply uncomfortable. Hiro saying, “I’m feeling it a little bit now,” in response to the father’s agony when he finds out his wife is dead actually gave me chills. During the sequence where Ojiisan is driving to the victims’ house I mirrored his frustration and anxiety. At times the CG is jarring, and the realistic faces coupled with the unusual voice acting produces some awkward reaction shots and dialogue, but my opinion of this show improved with this episode. In this case the show is conveying its tone so well that I actually feel ambivalent about watching next week.

• Lenlo says:

OH agreed. What freaked me out was the child. I was shocked that not only did they kill the child, but we saw him die scratching at his fathers back, who fell on him. I honestly cannot remember another scene that bothered me as much as that, in any anime. They lingered on it.

I really felt like I was watching a sociopath, not just an anime.

• silver says:

Absolutely. Making that scene long was definitely the right call. Literally watching a child die. Plus I’ve been stuck under somebody while underwater before and it’s terrifying, so the frantic scratching and inability to react rationally (maneuver sideways) is pretty much how it went. I feel the behavior of all of the victims was pretty realistic. For that matter, the portrayal of the antagonist was quite good. Generally sociopaths are shown in media as loony, straitjacket-wearing fools when they actually tend to be very well-rounded, even excellent, socially. Ted Bundy was the scariest kind of crazy.

• Victim says:

Agree about the victim’s reactions. And psychopaths are not necessarily asocial, so yeah. Fortunately, most of them are not walking android weapons conceived with alien technology either.

• Lenlo says:

Its interesting because Shishigami doesnt seem to be asocial. He has friends, he visited one and tried to help him in his own messed up way. He wants to go fishing with his dad.

He just doesnt care about people who he doesnt know, and so uses them for gratification.

• Victim says:

We can only speculate what he cares about, but if his behavior is of any indication, we should not make any assumptions about him caring about anything other than himself.

He probably wants to go fishing with dad only because he wants to experience things for thrill. He also probably does not care about people close to him, he is only afraid to lose the comfort they provide for free

My take on it anyway.

What interests me more (that pure speculation) is his comment about personalities. He found physical beauty less interesting. But I have a feeling he does not care either way. He was merely hinting that he sees through the pretty girl’s mask for what she is: shallow faker, just like him. Which may be him projecting his self-loathing onto her. It is a self-defense mechanism.

2. Victim says:

Incredibly brutal episode that gave me a mental whiplash. The talk about ‘internet being all that matters’ was interesting. The inhuman nature of the antagonist are done really well. And the ending truly made me feel uncomfortable. What is this, sheer terror? Something else?

3. SuperMario SuperMario says:

The bath scene just happens in 3 minutes, huh? Felt like hours to me. Pretty good call to make it feel like forever.

And the only time Shishigami cries in this episode is when he was reading a chapter of Once Piece. Enough said.

• Lenlo says:

The dudes obsession with One Piece and the jabs at Gantz, since this has the same author, were pretty funny to me really.

• Victim says:

I do not know the author nor am I familiar with his works much, but wasn’t the ultimate point the author’s lament over how immature works manage to move people, who should try to see outside of their shell a bit more, rather than indulge in the shallowness the society provides them? The other guy called him empty (definitely hint at his lack of empathy) and he was crying over OP.

I never read OP, so I wouldn’t know, but I could easily imagine the author of Gantz to feel a little underappreciated.

• silver says:

I actually like One Piece as a whole, at least compared to most long-running shounens. It’s not groundbreaking in any way, but it does most things mostly right, so its popularity isn’t unjustified. That said, I can imagine the frustration of Oda being able to slide along for nearly two decades in such a cutthroat industry with a single franchise. I’ve neither seen nor read Gantz, but it’s sold as a particularly brutal/violent series, so it’s poignant that Hiro doesn’t like it while his more empathetic friend does. OP has virtually no death. Maybe commentary on the argument that violent media is appealing to violent people.

• silver says:

That said, it’s interesting that they refer to One Piece by its actual name. Seems like anime and manga are usually careful to avoid using brand names in parody for legal reason, the exception being cases like Gantz in this anime where the referenced work is IP of the author/studio/etc parodying it. Gintama even shied away from using “Gundam” even though it was produced by the same studio. I guess Japan inherited some of the west’s affinity for lawsuits.

There is an animecon here in two weeks. That eyepatchwolf youtuber will be there.
I still have old single issues of fushigi yugi, inuyasha, Ah my Goddess, narutaru laid around.
They used to realease them like single American comic book issues in the west.
I'm not talking bound volumes but actual 20-30 pages chapters and these would be expensive.
Who remembers RENTING anime dvds and RENTING videogames? Does anyone else remember buying each individual manga chapter as they came out when the official English translations rolled around?
Anyone willing to post their desktop? https://ibb.co/buc4Zz
Or things like Mischief makers .
I know vonter mentioned Mystical ninja 64. But I remember after I'd moved on from the snes to the N64 when I was younger, growing up with that obscure castlevania game on it, or stuff like those 3D bomberman games no-one cared about. Or obscure stuff like body harvest, jet force gemini, blast corps , turok, quest 64 and shadowman.
I love coming across those online lists of literally WHOtier, WHOcares , games literally only YOU liked and heard of/played. Makes me feel less alone.
I was also always discussing about politics with my father. Whenever we started with this my mother just said "porca putana" and went into another room to watch tv in peace.
@Animemosh: lol I have daily political discussion with my Marxist-Leninist father just like that =)
Oh I should state, even though I'm not as bothered by the modern setting, I actually do prefer the cold war narrative.
@Animosh: The documentries name was Battle of Chile by Patricio Guzman.
Especially since I don't think that the typical BF audience is of a kind that would lose interest because a series is taking place in the past. It was just written for the 80s, people can't just change that without changing the story itself to some degree.
@Animosh: I thought the anime did such a good job with Shio's backstory , that I didn't miss what was omitted. The anime is now up to date with the scans. I do agree that Satou's obsession with Shio is non-pedophilic but I think the scene itself is kind of going to give the wrong message.
@Animosh: one of the many reasons why I would have prefered Banana Fish's original setting.
Animosh
By the way, apparently the backstory of Shio's mother - which supposedly is really tragic - was largely skipped. Guess I'll have to read the manga.
Animosh
I get what they're going for, recreating the ritual and all, but I also thought the Shio-Satou moment was a bit forced. I still think their relationship is platonic though. Satou has never been shown to lust after Shio: she just fills her with warmth and happiness. They're more like messed up siblings than (romantic) lovers.
Animosh
@Kaiser: sounds interesting! Chile is an excellent example of the kind of Cold War intervention that I really don't see happening today. Although you never know with an impulsive narcissist in the White House.
End of monologue. Sorry about this. :p
Animosh
Long story short: I think the Banana Fish conspiracies fail to adequately represent the current situation. At the very least, it fits the Cold War world order much better.
Animosh
That includes the US (backing the Kurds and the rebels), but also Turkey and the Arab states (Sunni rebels), Russia and Iran (Assad), and so on and so forth. You can't act like this is the fault of one party. Hell, I'd say Russia and Assad are more responsible for failing to a peaceful resolution when they had the chance.
Animosh
As for Syria, it's a mess, but the US is only one of many parties responsible. And oil isn't particularly important in this conflict. It's a civil war that's been made much worse by the influx of money and weapons from many different parties vying for regional influence.
Animosh
So what does it do? It gives military and financial backing to militias with shared interests (which is much less than Russia does, by the way), orders drone strikes, and perhaps the occasional tactical strike. But overthrowing countries and setting up puppet regimes? I don't see it happening. That's basically declaring war on the other big powers.
Animosh
And even when it does intervene militarily, it rarely goes all out. The US has learned from Iraq and Afghanistan. It doesn't want to be dragged into another endless conflict, or see its efforts end in another brutal civil war that destabilizes the region.
Animosh
So although the US occasionally still intervenes militarily in other countries' affairs, other means of pressure are now more popular. The sanctions against Iran and North Korea are a good example of this.
Animosh
The current landscape is much more complex. America is still powerful, of course, but relatively speaking it is in decline, and that means it can get away with much less. Today's world is closer to a multipolar world, with many sides fighting for influence. And because the ideological conflict is much less pronounced, the US is much less willing to go against its purported values.
@Animosh: Coincidentally I recently watched a series of Chilean documentaries regarding the murder of Salvador Allende and the installation of the Pinochet Junta.
Animosh
And that meant both that America was far more powerful than it is now, and that much more intervention was considered acceptable - including shamelessly backing dictators that oppressed and exploited their people. After all, a defeat meant evil would prevail.
Animosh
Obviously the US still interferes in other countries. Quite a lot, actually. But there's a big difference between its current policy and that during the Cold War. Back then the geopolitical landscape was very different. It was bipolar, with two big Isms (capitalism and communism) fighting it out.
Animosh
@anon: not sure if this is the right place for a political discussion, but whatever. I like politics, so here we go.
*was no exception
@Animosh: If, out of the many moments in happy sugar life that I'd consider unsettling, it would be the one's with the aunt and this weeks episode was an exception. That last part of the episode will be interpreted as shoujo-ai bait by people though.
Looking forward to Angels of death next week, I think we're getting answers, glad to get answers on bad guy even if he is a simple villain.
Now this is an interesting coincidence as last night I just got done watching a documentary about cyberwarfare against Iran.
Thats alot more detailed than what I was going to say. I was just going to say that it reflects current foreign policy.
however the current stalemate in Syria is a reflection of the intransigence of the monied elite to not let go of ill-gotten gains, constantly provoking conflict with Russia/Assad/Iran
Its a documented fact the US/EU promoted the Arab Spring/ISIS rebellions and it was stopped by patriots with a conscience
replace with the mexican cartels/Hezbollah, and oil money promised to Cheney-connected Genie enerrgy
its a pretty accurate description of the current reality minus a couple silly things like the mafia and mind control drugs
You guys realize this plot is unfolding in Syria just replace drugs with oil money
Its hokey in the now, but in the original context the series was written, the Cold War, I think it could fit really well.
Animosh
@Kaiser: what felt awkward to you? I thought the pumpkin stuff in particular was pretty hilarious. Eiji is an evil guy. :p
Animosh
Yeah, the conspiracy stuff feels a bit wacky in the present. But in the context of the Cold War, it makes perfect sense. The USA supported plenty of bloody coups after all, especially in Latin America. Hell, they even backed the Taliban in their war against Russia.
In the future I want to make a bigger effort to follow MORE of whats being covered on here seasonally.
https://manganelo.com/manga/red_naoki_yamamoto Two history manga, wonder if they'll be fully translated.
I imagine most will probably agree with you anon though. I have alien taste/opinions. I also love conspiracy stuff =P
@Anon: Originally, in the manga version of that part, it was attacking communism in south America.
I don't know; I kinda find the whole Middle East stuff a bit hokey; maybe that's just me.
Im about to watch it. Looking forward to it
I know its only one line, but that they still mention skip and shorter, even its just their names, at least the show keeps them in mind.
With episode 12, Banana fish has successfully contemporized its political/cospiracy aspect for me . Eiji is semi-uselful. Humour in this episode for the first time feels awkward, fast pace kind of means that the quieter slower scenes , though I still enjoy them, feel slotted in.
Most of my emotions this week came because of the original and my love of it, not this one
I agree, Steins;Gate 0 had all the potential, and there are some specific episodes that realized it. Like this episode had a lot of touching scenes cause it slowed down to play up Okabe's relationship with Amadeus. But most of the time, it fails to reach that potential. So as a whole it just feels... lacking
Plebs, not combining both into a single dessert.
I'm talking about that sweet saccharine Chocolate Mousse, the Ganache, or the Chocolate Gâteau. Your puny muffin stands no chance. Mwahaha!
Blasphemy. As a proud American, I can't stand for anything less than pure unadulterated diabetes-inducing sugar in chocolatey cake form. Anything less is an insult to my great nation. /s
@anon2801739: that's a nice analogy but I can't say I agree as I prefer chocolate muffin much more than chocolate cake :)))
Steins;gate 0 is all potential but generally it's wasted. Whenever it actually seems promising they manage to jump plot points to boring nonsensical melodrama for a century. It was supposed to be a chocolate cake. Instead what we got was a muffin with tiny chocolate chips buried few and far between. Yeah it's still sweet at some points, but most of the time you're chewing through pointless fluff.
Like I said in my last post on it I think, the pacing is fucked
Animosh
I did like that the lab members finally acted like scientists again, methodically thinking through their options and all, and there were some pretty touching individual moments and nicely tied up ends. But mostly I'm just annoyed by all the unfulfilled potential of this show.
Animosh
I also hated the backtracking in the beginning. Don't make such a big deal of The Return if you're going to throw it out of the window in the next episode.
Animosh
I really don't understand Steins;Gate's pacing. It slows down to a trickle in the largely irrelevant middle part, and now that things are finally getting somewhat interesting again it just speeds through everything without building things up properly? I don't get it. And how on Earth are they going to resolve everything satisfactorily in one episode?
Reinhard (old series). Ash is interesting and depicted well, but not close to Reinhard. There is something noble in Reinhard, something beyond charisma.
In a charisma battle between our two favorite Blond Boys (doing what blond boys do), who'd win: Reinhard or Ash?
Kind of felt this is what prelude penultimate episode/calm before the storm episode should be and I liked quite liked the ginko and souya scene, but I'm still eh, I shrug at this.
After watching some more Star vs. the forces of evil. I'm getting Jitsu wa Watashi wa vibes. The Sailor Moon-like character episode was cute.
The bullying arc in sangatsu made me want to shootup the school.
I will admit, the family life stuff is less engaging than the crippling depression, but I dont think that would hit as hard with out the relaxing bits in between. Dont want to overload the audience.
3-gatsu no Lion has its ups and downs; its ups are the intense emotional drama or shogi matches, while it's downs are the more relaxed slice of life food porn stuff. When I say up and down, I don't necessarily mean good and bad, just more about the intensity. I personally found that I could enjoy both styles, but sometimes I'd find the slice of life stuff dragging on.
Well, I regard 3-gatsu as one of the best character-writing in this medium in recent years. As for shaft, I'm their fan but even me was worried when I learnt Shaft adapting this. They did a nice job thankfully
Though I was glad that the comedy becomes more reigned in later on.
I got used to the tonally discordant humour eventually, accepting that the show essentially exists in two plains.
In tsukiyomi moon phase Shinbo made some of the shots look like photos, which was cool given the protaganists profession. Their weird style also was a good fit for an oddball show like Zetsubou-sensei.
I just finished the 4th episode, and so far I am torn on Akari. Im still not sure what to make of some of these relationships. I love the permeated depression theme in every episode though.
I wonder if it will get a third season.
I want Akari to be my mom.
Hmmm only 9 out of 13 volumes adapted, which means the anime hasn't adapted the best bit.
Unfortunate that the sangatsu manga doesn't update often.
While I haven't seen it, I heard that vocaloid thing shaft adapted was very poorly suited to their style.
If a drama can actually make me feel something, actual emotions, then its a success. But it takes a pretty good, well made drama to do that.
I am very particular about my Drama'
Im planning on burning through the whole thing in the next few days. Maybe then ill try the manga, since there is probably more
@Lenlo: I didn't think your lie in April or sangatsu would actually be your thing. They're very drama-ey.
Basically im with Kaiser on this one. As for Shaft, I am very show by show with them. I couldnt stand Nisekoi, yet Sangatsu's color palette and way of drawing faces really has me
See, so far it has a very Mushishi/Fune wo Amu/Your Lie in April feel to me. I love these kinds of things animated, because I feel the music and color-choices really help set things in the mood.
@Mario@Lenlo: We can be Kanabros for life all three of us ;)
But in general I do think shafts style lends itself at its best to more comedic work.
I actually felt that shafts style elevated their adaptation of Sangatsu. I find it easier to watch these slow paced shows than reading them. Also Kana Hanazawa.
Shaft's style can be a hit or miss with the audience, however. While I don't mind that, I still would recommend you try the manga instead
Oh, so you still have, like, 40 episodes left
Huh. Finally got around to March Comes in Like a Lion, gotta say. 3 episodes in, its pretty good
Speaking of it though, I wish they'd get that proposed new Vampire hunter D anime off the ground.
Though my memory on this is extremely fuzy.
Y'know, I saw an article there on anime news network referring to the second vampire hunter D film, I know I watched it years and years ago, loved it, but I forget the plot, thinking about it now, how was the dude D was after supposed to survive without blood after buggering off to space alone with the girl?
Amen to that
I read blogs to see opinions on anime, not to read about how blog writer is much better than some youtuber I probably have never heard of :D
Anyway, don't any of you guys let that get up to your head :p I'm also annoyed whenever media producers start mocking each other and setting themselves up as better.
Nothing is more annoying to me than nerd doing the stereotypical nerd voice to mock people
Either way, I kinda dislike majority geek youtubers because I find them all to be hypocrites. Like for example, complaining about commentors correcting them or nitpicking them when all of them are nitpickers themselves :P
That said, he has habit of commenting on things way too early only to later on to be proven wrong by end of the anime :P
That said, I don't remember Mother's Basement being that bad besides that he for most parts really sucks when talking about video games despite apparently having studied game development
@AidanAK47: I don't actually like any of anime youtubers. They all seems to be pervs to me and I'm actually rather prude person :p
Hmm this chat is being buggy again and I can't change username from anonymous right now :P ANnoying~
@Lenlo: Readers will enjoy us more if we can throw some meme references... proof that we're still not out of touch with current trends ^^
@Lenlo: I mean the opposite, the posts here are good because they don't use quips. They aren't fanboyish either.
Are you telling me I need to insert more quips. jokes and one-lines into my posts? Cause I can do that
@Aidan: Drop grand blue if its taking up too much time, I know you are busy.
Thats why I enjoy reading blog articles like on here. I feel the writers on here never sound like awful fanboys or quiplords.
*I have
I think its down to an idea have about vloggers/youtubers, that the videos will be full of unfunny quips and unrestrained fanboyism due to the guy doing the video can't keep himself in check.
Digibro isnt worth listening to imo
Never even really pursued listening to digibro. Although I probably should listen to eyepatchwolf apparently.
I should say the anime youtubers I've actually watched pertain to: Gigguk, one video by blackanimecritic, a few countdowns by Mistychronoxia and Animeman . I think I've watched maybe two of glass reflections reviews.
I don't know, r/anime probably is also not the best sources; Youtube and Reddit are just the places I generally go to for large-scale anime discussion
Oh my previous comment didn't post; basically I was saying that Anitube isn't super representative of audience popularity, at least as a whole, but it might offer some insight to at least a portion of it.
*audience you're looking at: there's the Japanese audience and Western audience, but I feel like there's also like, another half of the world that most be people don't consider.
It kind of depends which audience you
I don't even watch gigguks videos anymore.
I've never really cared enough to overexplore any of those anime youtube critics for the most part.
If someone keeps talking about something, eventually it'll sometimes work out and get through, then I'll at least have to see some of it.
@Aidan: I watched it because you kept saying not enough people were watching it.
@Masky, cause Mothers basement did a video on it? Well hopefully it gets it some attention. Don't really like MB though. I mean "Gurren Meets Earthbound"? Jesus Christ.
Hmm, seems like Planet With is slowly getting more attention to it
I know im Shonen trash, but Hero Aca continues to be fantastic.
Animosh
You know, one person ends up broken through no fault of her own, and then ends up hurting herself and/or others to protect the only happiness she knows. And so the cycle continues.
Animosh
I thought Shio's backstory was really sad too. But yeah, although the show (and many of its characters) can be silly a lot of the time, there's a beating heart behind all of the craziness. Its main characters all have believable - if misguided - motivations, and the show portrays the cyclical nature of trauma very well.
@Animosh: I think the scene with satou breaking down near episodes end were the standout. I often laugh at this show for its overthetopness, then makes me feel like a jerk by pulling something depressing.
@Amagi: Escaflowne ended too soon and abruptly. I haven't seen rayearth but I have read the manga, so I don't know if the anime original content is as good.
I've noticed that the voice acting tends to be worse in reverse harems then regular harems.
@Amagi: Regarding otome, one of the worst cases though had to be hakuouki though, just a bag of complete wasted potential.
@Amagi: While I didn't dislike Red river, I have the unpopular opinion of preferring Basara because I found the central relationship more interesting.
@Amagi: Yes that was babylonia no shishi.
I wish we could get isekai like Rayearth, Now and Then or Escaflown again.
Sadly these series usually fail elsewhere, with the typical problems shoujo and otome series tend to have
@SuperMario: strangely enough this is somewhat typical for shoujo whereas generic isekai can't get off that fake-rpg spleen. There is also a shoujo in which feMC gets transported into some old turkish setting and one with babylonia (think the latter was done by that mangaka that also did Cantarella).
Theres also a shoujo manga called babylonia no shishi.
maybe it's one of the earliest example of isekai if you don't regard isekai setting as strictly fantasy world.
" Or even something egyptian, babylonic, or mayan." -> actually they did just that. One of the old classic shoujo, Crest of the Royal Family, is about a girl transported into Egyptian royal family. https://myanimelist.net/manga/5284/Ouke_no_Monshou?q=Crest of the Royal Family
I think the success is, if a series can distract you and still make you feel something, even if there should have been more to the characters.
@Animosh: Beyond Arthur and Dino, who always came off to me as "the bad guys to be defeated", I think I might have been so into Ash that I didn't really pay as much attention to his character development as you and Mario did.
Animosh
Happy Sugar Life was pretty intense again. It's not subtle, but it's certainly effective. For me, anyway.
*gamer
You could see that he probably enjoyed online games and knew his stuff, wheras it seemed in sword art the writer felt liking he was shitting on everything.
I'm not much of a game and I know it was a fantasy show, but I guess log horizon is isekai, but in that one from what I saw, I thought the writer seemed to be making more of an effort.
But given how lazy isekai tends toward, while yes a scifi world would be a nice change up, the inherent genre laziness would probably holdback on properly building that world.
Why Isekai are limited to the fantasy worlds? What about one with a creative retro futuristic setting (like Jetsons, John Carter or Flash Gordon). Maybe a western setting. Or even something egyptian, babylonic, or mayan. Anything at this point will be genius if done right.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Didn't watch Gate but it wasn't kind of like that? Adapting an alien fantasy world to the real world?
On a total tangent. Imagine an isekai that dealt with immigration issues ;)

Steins;Gate 0 – 22 [Rinascimento of Projection -Project Amadeus-]

This week Steins;Gate 0, once again, brutally reminded me of the potential it started with ~5 months ago and subsequently wasted. We have lab-member shenanigans, emotional heart-to-hearts and overdramatic time travel sequences. Let’s dive in! So in general, Steins;Gate 0 worked this episode. It really did. The emotions were on point and there was a […]

Hanebado! – 11 [Because I Love Badminton]

After the break last week (due to the Hokkaido earthquake), we are back with this final match between Ayano and Nagisa. While I can’t say I care too much about this match, Hanebado begins in a solid note. Having our two main characters flashback to their previous match, each questions the exact same concern: “what […]

Planet With – 10/11[Karellen and Rashaverak/Azrabarakura]

Forgive me for not covering this last week but believe me when I say it wasn’t due to lack of interest. Planet With still remains a show that just tops itself with every episode. Though I don’t have much to say about episode ten other than it being another episode which could have acted as […]

Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight – 10 [The Show Must Go On]

The narrative beat of Revue Starlight has reached its new tempo with the end of the audition. All the things that Revue Starlight has been building up to begin to payoff this week. I must say though, it comes out a bit too predictable this week. We have the last stage audition with literally the […]

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro – 11 [Chio in the Middle of the Night/ Apocri!]

Well, no surprises here. Chio-chan flips back to its usual self. Chio-chan has always been a minimalist-set show, with mundane set up in which only a handful of characters carry the gag. It rings especially true this week, as Chio’s antic makes up the first half and Manana’s wild imagination drives the second. As per […]

Banana Fish – 11 [The Beautiful and Damned]

Welcome to another week of Banana Fish. This week it slows down, gives us some heartwarming character scenes and the beginnings of a gang war. Lets jump in! So, starting off, the general stuff. Overall I enjoyed Banana Fish this week, but we have started to see issues with the breakneck pace it’s had until […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 21 [Rinascimento of Image Formation -Return of Phoenix-]

This week Steins;Gate 0 gave me, most, of what I wanted. It gave us a journey through the future, a Time Leap chain and the return of our favorite mad scientist. However, for all that I love it, its to little to late. Lets jump in! So, where to start. Leaving the big spoilers for […]

Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight – 09 [On the Night of the Star Festival]

The last three episodes when Revue Starlight focuses on Banana’s arc brush off my own reservation for the show. This episode, for me, is almost perfect in its storytelling department. First, it builds up Banana’s conflict and then resolves them in an insightful manner. It puts Karen back again as the main protagonist (and the […]

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro – 10 [Shinozuka-san, Sugar Content, and the Press Conference/ Thousand Spring/ Andou and George]

We seem to have a routine of one below-average Chio-chan’s episode, follow up by one above-average as of late. This week is amongst Chio-chan’s better ones as it fleshes out two side characters with great effect. As you might remember, Momo wasn’t that memorable when she first appeared. Her uptight attitude is a nice foil […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]

Hisone to Masotan (2018 Spring) Review – 73/100

Coming off as one of my most anticipated anime out of this last Spring Season, based solely on staffs involved alone – after all, an original anime written by Mari Okada and produced by Bones (which I regarded as one of the best anime studio working right now) – I can’t help but feel let […]

Megalo Box – 86/100

Ah boxing, the quintessential manly man sport of beating each other unconscious. In anime, the sport was first forged in the fires of Ashita no Joe, and some would say later perfected by Hajime no Ippo. Both fantastic series in their own right. Both filled to the brim with epic clashes of wills, phenomenal characters and […]

Legends of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These Anime Review – 80/100

This is a remake of a series made way back when which is one of the most highly acclaimed anime in the medium. It is of legendary status but you would be hard pressed to recommend it as to many the barrier of entry is too high to consider. A 110 episode OVA with dated […]

Hinamatsuri (2018 Spring) Review – 79/100

Comedy anime doesn’t always yell out confidence, so imagine our hype when there’s one that been on everyone’s lips since the manga come out, Hinamatsuri. The show starts with simple premise: a girl with supernatural power unexpectedly drops into the house of a yakuza, hilarity ensues. This concept sums up very well the source humors […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]