Posted by Lenlo on 20 October 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Inuyashiki

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in!

First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. This was his episode, focusing almost entirely on him. Setting him up as the main antagonist for the rest of the season and quickly defining who he is. I have to say I was not prepared for him. It has been a long time since an anime has legitimately unsettled me, and Shishigami did just that. Initially, he put me off though. His tone and general voice felt fake, forced. All of his emotions felt like a front. As the episode went on however, it became clear that this was a deliberate choice. It outlined his lack of emotion with both words and actions.

We see throughout the episode a slow build up of his character. He starts a normal, if demure, high school kid. Visiting his friends and trying to get them back to school. Over the course of the day however, as the sun goes from high in the sky in settling into night, he gets more and more extreme. He starts with scaring birds, then killing them. Talking about suicide casually, jumping in front of trains. He moves to hacking TVs at the store and causing a small panic by the owners. Then he leaps into conducting a massive car wreck, injuring or killing dozens of people. All the while theres not even a smile on his face. He doesn’t care, this means nothing to him. He is a sociopath and his actions speak for themselves, getting more and more extreme as the day goes on.

Speaking of those extreme actions, we cant not talk about the family. After spending a day with his friend, showing off his powers and causing massive car wrecks, Shishigami heads home. However he makes a pit stop at a random house, chosen by spinning in a circle and pointing. Its playful, as if this is all a game to him. Yet what follows is one of the most brutal sequences I have seen in quite a while. He butchers the mother, tortures the father and eventually leaves the son to drown in a pool of blood. He interrogates their young daughter, talking like he would at school, asking about her favorite One Piece character. Only to off her like the rest. Why? My guess would be to feel human again.

You see, there is this interesting dichotomy between Inuyashiki and Shishigami you see. Both have had the same thing happen, both have lost their human bodies and seemingly their humanity. But they deal with it in very different ways. Inuyashiki, as we saw in episode 1, feels alive and emboldened by saving people. By using his powers and doing something more with his life. By contrast, Shishigami looks to be trying to stimulate his emotions with increasingly brutal acts. Things that horrify others, just for the smallest bit of emotion. Almost like experiencing them through other people. Shishigami seems to have become less human in this transformation while Inuyashiki more human.

Naturally this sets them on a collision course. With his new body and predilection for saving people, Inuyashiki has apparently made it a habit of listening for things to do upon getting home. Tonight, he hears the daughter from before begging for her life. He runs out the door and drives to her, hes going to save her! But he comes up short. The superhero trope of saving everyone is shut down, as Inuyashiki fails to get to her in time. His reaction inside the car, almost crying at his failure, head bowed into the steering wheel was touching. Perhaps I was still emotionally sensitive after the family scenes, but I felt Inuyashiki’s grief. Forging on, he finally arrives at the house, one so similar to his own.

Normally, this is where I would expect it to end. Our hero sees the carnage and vows to find the one responsible, creating a season long chase. However instead, he finds that Shishigami has yet to leave. In his post murder-high state, Shishigami has no time for games and pop, down goes our hero. He wanders out into the night, done for the day. But what do we see? Inuyashiki striding out of the house like the Terminator, music swelling. I loved this entire sequence, as it really sold that transformation of our hero to me. I thought he would have trouble fighting, with his meek personality. Yet now he looks like a father prepared to disciple an unruly child.

For me, this episode was a fantastic follow up to the first episode. It introduced the central conflict, clearly defined our villain and made him interesting, to me at least. It leaped headfirst into the Psychological Thriller tags it has and cemented the tone for the rest of the season. The CGI, outside of the mechanical parts, still has some issues however. The cars and certain shots with a 3D human for Shishigami looked out of place. Anytime the mechanical parts were on show though really stood out. As for music and sound, it worked. Our main characters voices are still off compared to everyone elses, but it makes them stand out. Makes them different from the rest and helps sell me on their lack of passion.

All in all, I cannot wait for next episode and inevitable battle between our two leads. See you next week for another episode of Inuyashiki!

1. silver says:

I have a fairly high threshold for gore and such, but this episode made me deeply uncomfortable. Hiro saying, “I’m feeling it a little bit now,” in response to the father’s agony when he finds out his wife is dead actually gave me chills. During the sequence where Ojiisan is driving to the victims’ house I mirrored his frustration and anxiety. At times the CG is jarring, and the realistic faces coupled with the unusual voice acting produces some awkward reaction shots and dialogue, but my opinion of this show improved with this episode. In this case the show is conveying its tone so well that I actually feel ambivalent about watching next week.

• Lenlo says:

OH agreed. What freaked me out was the child. I was shocked that not only did they kill the child, but we saw him die scratching at his fathers back, who fell on him. I honestly cannot remember another scene that bothered me as much as that, in any anime. They lingered on it.

I really felt like I was watching a sociopath, not just an anime.

• silver says:

Absolutely. Making that scene long was definitely the right call. Literally watching a child die. Plus I’ve been stuck under somebody while underwater before and it’s terrifying, so the frantic scratching and inability to react rationally (maneuver sideways) is pretty much how it went. I feel the behavior of all of the victims was pretty realistic. For that matter, the portrayal of the antagonist was quite good. Generally sociopaths are shown in media as loony, straitjacket-wearing fools when they actually tend to be very well-rounded, even excellent, socially. Ted Bundy was the scariest kind of crazy.

• Victim says:

Agree about the victim’s reactions. And psychopaths are not necessarily asocial, so yeah. Fortunately, most of them are not walking android weapons conceived with alien technology either.

• Lenlo says:

Its interesting because Shishigami doesnt seem to be asocial. He has friends, he visited one and tried to help him in his own messed up way. He wants to go fishing with his dad.

He just doesnt care about people who he doesnt know, and so uses them for gratification.

• Victim says:

We can only speculate what he cares about, but if his behavior is of any indication, we should not make any assumptions about him caring about anything other than himself.

He probably wants to go fishing with dad only because he wants to experience things for thrill. He also probably does not care about people close to him, he is only afraid to lose the comfort they provide for free

My take on it anyway.

What interests me more (that pure speculation) is his comment about personalities. He found physical beauty less interesting. But I have a feeling he does not care either way. He was merely hinting that he sees through the pretty girl’s mask for what she is: shallow faker, just like him. Which may be him projecting his self-loathing onto her. It is a self-defense mechanism.

2. Victim says:

Incredibly brutal episode that gave me a mental whiplash. The talk about ‘internet being all that matters’ was interesting. The inhuman nature of the antagonist are done really well. And the ending truly made me feel uncomfortable. What is this, sheer terror? Something else?

3. SuperMario SuperMario says:

The bath scene just happens in 3 minutes, huh? Felt like hours to me. Pretty good call to make it feel like forever.

And the only time Shishigami cries in this episode is when he was reading a chapter of Once Piece. Enough said.

• Lenlo says:

The dudes obsession with One Piece and the jabs at Gantz, since this has the same author, were pretty funny to me really.

• Victim says:

I do not know the author nor am I familiar with his works much, but wasn’t the ultimate point the author’s lament over how immature works manage to move people, who should try to see outside of their shell a bit more, rather than indulge in the shallowness the society provides them? The other guy called him empty (definitely hint at his lack of empathy) and he was crying over OP.

I never read OP, so I wouldn’t know, but I could easily imagine the author of Gantz to feel a little underappreciated.

• silver says:

I actually like One Piece as a whole, at least compared to most long-running shounens. It’s not groundbreaking in any way, but it does most things mostly right, so its popularity isn’t unjustified. That said, I can imagine the frustration of Oda being able to slide along for nearly two decades in such a cutthroat industry with a single franchise. I’ve neither seen nor read Gantz, but it’s sold as a particularly brutal/violent series, so it’s poignant that Hiro doesn’t like it while his more empathetic friend does. OP has virtually no death. Maybe commentary on the argument that violent media is appealing to violent people.

• silver says:

That said, it’s interesting that they refer to One Piece by its actual name. Seems like anime and manga are usually careful to avoid using brand names in parody for legal reason, the exception being cases like Gantz in this anime where the referenced work is IP of the author/studio/etc parodying it. Gintama even shied away from using “Gundam” even though it was produced by the same studio. I guess Japan inherited some of the west’s affinity for lawsuits.

Post dooooone. Now I can read the preview! Yaaay
@Mario: I can vote in the poll without issue.
@Mario: I'd like him to do more Spanish language films.
@Aidan: Jesus fuck I hated Magical girl ops so damn much.
Actually every shot in Roma manages to standout.
@Mario : Although it was raunch and smut, nonetheless I liked y tu mama tambien more than other people.
And Cuaron said in the interview that the single image that represents the film is the last shot of her walking up the metal staircase
@Mario: Just like in alien where Ridley Scott didn't tell the cast in THAT scene!
@Mario: Oh, I certainly liked the warmth and naturalism that was kind of there. Handled the class thing decently well too.
For example, the hospital scene was played out without the lead actor knowledge. She didn't know about that *twist*, she just got swept to the moments beyond her and we sense that as well
@Kaiser:I didn't really connect to the film either, but I guess we're the minority here. I do learn that Cuaron keeps most of the script away from the actors, especially the maid. So in many scenes what the character acts on screen are genuine
@Aidan: Did you read the doro manga for the preview or the old anime? Watching an anime episode in black and white must have been odd. Also, when I watched boogipop for the first time years ago I was confused by it initially but didn't reject it, trippy atmosphere and stuff.
I want my youjo senki and bunny-girl senpai movies and I want them now wah, wah.
@Mario: and that later scene with her in the hospital actually did kind of get me even though I knew it was coming. It also never felt un-earnest or manipulative.
Also noticed callbacks to his other films in it sort of.
Thought it was pretty watchable man.
@Mario: I didn’t really emotionally connect with it and probably because I’ve seen so many of these dramas I can predict the whole thing, but it did maintain my interest and I liked how he captured the flavour of the time (such as the riots/political rally/douchebag male characters/talk about people having their land taken off them)
@Mario: I decided to watch Roma by Alfonso Curon, on a visual level this is definitely a beautifully rendered film and the photography is especially impressive just before and during the forest fire scene. I watched it in the highest possible quality and it really does benefit this.
@Mario: Damn democracy =<
I hope that's just me but I can't vote on the poll thing
Anonymous3199261
Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu was definitely my favorite short this year. I found it incredibly amusing since it's basically a typical mecha series if the main character and his arch-enemy (and plot twist brother) were both insecure, self-centered narcissists.
Boogiepop is the show I'll end up watching.
Neverland I fell behind on when they got to the part in the village where the monsters hunt people.
See heres my thing with Kaguya, I never thought I'd find it funny and certainly I doubt I like it as much as others do, but even though after 50 or so chapters of laughing at it, like most comedy manga that are long, I never feel pushed to read every chapter.
I just learned to accept Zombieland Saga again after the fuckup since episode three since some of the following episodes were pretty good despite the idol stuff and being rather formularic, both the last two killed my hopes yet again and not hoping for too much considering the problem of the latest episode isn't fully solved yet.
I dropped Uma Musume after five minutes
Animosh
@Kaiser: Shoko's arc will apparently be covered in the upcoming movie. The remaining episodes will only focus on Kaede.
Anonymous3197172
Unlike Uma though, Zombieland doesn't have Granblue codes in the BDs this time, so it might not reach those same sales heights. Makes you wonder if Uma did well in Japan solely because of the codes.
Anonymous3197172
Granted, like Zombieland Saga, I didn't hate it. But unlike Zombieland where it became what it purported to parody, this was exactly what I was expecting it to be. Safe and really dull.
Anonymous3197172
And to top it off, they included SSR codes for Granblue with the BDs of the series as a form of cross-promotion. That managed to maximize sales for the series. Not even Zombieland Saga was this obviously safe.
Anonymous3197172
Let's see, it's a sports anime complete with the stereotypes you'd expect, a CGDCT show, a moe anthropomorphism series where the horses are girls, and an idol series with most of the trademarks of that genre (yuri undertones, banal songs, creepy fanservice, etc.) and it's a mobile game adaptation to boot.
Anonymous3197172
Of all the shows I watched this year, Uma Musume was probably the safest, most conservative show that I've ever seen this year which took the least risks, and threw in everything they could in the hopes of maximizing blu-ray sales. It's saving grace is P.A. Works' animation, but that's to be expected with even their worst shows.
I haven’t watched the latest one yet but isn’t it a bit too... quick?
What the hell? Only one episode and BF already wiped out 3 bad men?
Unrelated, but I wish more ecchi/hentai genuinely tried to mix in emotions and sensuality even into the more fetishist stuff. I like everything to be y'know sad and stuff.
Seeing that bastard get it in banana fish is so satisfying.
I still wish this show had 24 episodes.
I don't think there's enough time for Shoko's arc though and this episode was rushed.
*in bunny-senpai
Oh my God I wanna save the sister bunny-sepai =<
Anonymous3196773
All 3 of BF devil trio are out :) Now we have to deal with Foxx as final boss though? Not sure about that
@Vonter: I enjoyed what I read of gunsmith cats but I've only read parts of it, not the whole thing, I also saw its prototype riding bean which was schlocky fun.
@Vonter: I'm honestly not sure. But I'll say this, wasn't there some campaign to get a new gunsmith cats anime out?
Animosh
I wonder where they're going with Yut Lung though. I expected Ash to kill him in a mad fury over what happened to Eiji, but his conversation with Blanca (about finding love instead of being ruled by anger and hatred) suggests that some kind of redemption may lie in store for him.
@Kaiser-Eoghan How is it compared to Gunsmith Cats?
Animosh
I knew Banana Fish wouldn't go through with Eiji's death. But hey, at least it looks like Golzine is finally dead! Although I really wish someone with more of a history with him had done the deed. Or you know, someone with some actual personality. Foxx is such a lame blend of villain tropes I wish he would die already. If he really ends up as the final boss of the series I'd be pretty disappointed
@Vonter: Its possibly because its so old. As for myself I've only seen the first series and read a few volumes of the manga, what I followed was largely episodic.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It isn't as heavily marketed, I wasn't aware there were that many. It's this a niche series?
@Vonter: There are several films live action and animated and three anime series based on it.
The new City Hunter movie looks great. It seems to have buddy cop vibe. Were there only OVAs or did this manga ever got a TV series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFrmaZa1OY
Animosh
Oh right, that makes sense. Heh.
Ha, you merged his names.
Ah, that is the curse of watching an episode a week, forgetting things like that, can't believe I couldn't remember that.
Animosh
Eh, Kurahara. Where did I even get that name from.
Animosh
@Lenlo: he's a reporter. He's one of the people interviewing Fujioka in episode 7 (or more precisely, he's watching him being interviewed). He also seems to notice Kakeharu then.
@Lenlo: Or maybe a washed up former runner from years ago?
Im sad Kaze Fui has a 3 week break, but cant wait for January now. As for the guy at the end, I want to say he is probably a reporter of some kind? Kurahara was a good runner in highschool and seemingly quit, yet is now running for a no-name team. Thats a scoop
It was pretty tense actually.
I didn't cry during that scene in made in abyss, you know the one where riko freaks out, the arm scene. But it was somewhat stressful.
I haven't come across ojisama to neko. Perhaps I'll read a few chapters of it.
Hope they will do a first season of it by turning it into a 5 minute anime now. I mean it has an old man who tries to be the best father for his pet and it has a CAT, what else does a series need to be successful in the age of the internet?
I didn't know Ojisama to Neko was a hit. The series is so cute that every harmless piece of seriousness makes you feel like crying, it's pretty good but didn't expect it to be popular. Seems like it sells around 350k copies.
There are so many movies or anime that kill tons of characters and throw in even more tons of cry scene and I am still unable to feel anything.
MIA showed that it is always about how you depict a death scene and not so much about what's actually happening. I usually want to be sad whenever I am supposed to feel sad but it doesn't work. I had to cry during the MiA scene though even though it was "just" about some kind of pet, because that character lost her humanity long ago and suffered, so death was actually a good thing here. But still.
I guess we'll have to wait three weeks for the second cour to find out.
I really wonder who that guy at the end was though. He seems to have some beef with Kakeru judging by that look.
Man, seems like the next episode of Kaze ga won't air until January 8. I was really getting invested in their continued training, even through rough weather this episode.
@Mario: Although definitely different and admire it for that, the stage like aesthetic of dogville didn't work for me. He did do comedies though such as boss of it all, the idiots and some of Kingdom .
@Mario: I always thought he could have fleshed out the first half of melancholia more, but it really gets going in the second when she really starts re-lapsing, I loved that part.
@Mario: You gave dancer in the dark 4 stars though.
My favorites are Breaking the Waves (although I do need to rewatch it), and Melancholia (mostly because there's a hint of hope at the end). Dancer in the Dark is so stupid I freaking hate it. Dogville, AntiChrist are depressing and Shia Labeouf and the ending kill Nympho for me
@Kaiser: can't wait to see the House that Jack Built, although no release date here yet. Lars Von Trier is like depressing drugs. His stuffs are goddamn depressing
@Kaiser: she was like "omg MARIO, you're serious crying while watching a TV show?" well, she invaded my privacy and still had the guts to say that huh?
@Mario: Matt Dillon is great in it.
@Mario: Also, I saw the new Von Trier film, the horror one House that Jack built, its an acid black farce comedy that never takes away from the darker elements of it or the violence, even if it isn't as violent as people are saying. I loved it, even if it went off on tangents sometimes. My favourites by him are this, boss of it all, dancer in the dark and especially antichrist.
*their
@Mario: What was there reaction out of curiousity?
*Catch me right at the act
And visually it is immersive.
Made in abyss does depend currently on what its second season will deliver and it does start out in a way that you kind of need to make it passed the first few episodes to really get into it. But it flows better than the manga and THAT scene in the middle and Nanachi's backstory elevate the series to a higher level.
BabyMario as in like super Mario world 2 =O
=O BabyMario
True (shameful) story: when I watched the finale of Made in Abyss, my housemate opened the door to ask me sth and she saw me sobbing like a baby
Made in Abyss was really damn good
Sash
I just recently watched Made in Abyss.... and i cried real hard. I was worried that this story was going down the loli route at first... but how this show frightened me... and how it pulled at my heartstrings at the end.
Also being immortal would meant that I finally had enough time to finish all the games and series I am interested in.
@Kaiser: the hate against immortality is overrated, I would totally be okay with observing history for centuries.
@Kaiser: yeah, it’s supposed to be the final one that closes the whole franchise
Theres going to be another euphonium movie next year.
I say sit back and just let it wash over you if you get on board with its slow rhythm.
The soundtrack is pretty understated aswell.
Also quite naturalistic in how it uses/animates movements/body language.
I do wish that it went further than baiting the audience though.
*is in
I watched liz and the bluebird, the storybook segements give the film a certain magical feel to it, even if they feel obvious and on the nose, what this film achieves if in its silent, quiet and visual exposition rather than spoken words, its also more sensitive and low key than Euphonium.
Gah, one of the gutting things about being into historical stuff or stuff about things that happened decades ago, is that I'll never be a direct witness to it as it happened. It'll never hit me as someone who lived through it. I having all the fun second hand.
Thanks, Amagi. They look pretty cool
Why would I waste my time watching other people shopping or working. Not to mention that the scripted part turns everything worse than it usually is by shoving in terrible cringy moments everywhere to.. don't know. Entertain(?) the audience or something.
I mean unless you want info dumps you watch fiction and you watch that because it makes you indirectly experience adventures you can't have in real life. Even when fiction is down to earth it's usually about special situations like the MC becoming a professional runner like in Kaze ga or something.
@Kaiser: Me neither, especially because it seems to be the exact opposite of the reason why people consume media, and therefore fiction, in the first place.
They probably used these in Irozuko because they look like're part of some J-RPG town.
@Amagi: I never really understood why reality television ever became a thing or how someone could give it any form of attention.
Seems like they even have a wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo
@SuperMario: It's some specific type of house that only exist in Apulia. https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-437617-146.jpg - the whole historic disctrict looks like that
I shouldn't use so many brackets.
Trulli? What does that mean?
We have all kinds of international film festivals here. I watched Roma in the Latin Film Festival. Yeah that aspect I mus say that I feel lucky
There are Trulli in one scene of this week's Irozuko (after they entered that painting), how funny. I just visited this city (Alberobello) last month.
@Mario: You are lucky, Roma gets a one day limited release here for one time.
@Aidan: Just imagine going to the west of Ireland and asking them about the internet.
Yes there are people turning up to the one art cinema we actually have. But Ireland is not a good place to be in general if you are a film/anime/gaming fan.
lol this country is incapable of giving a proper wide/long cinema release to anything that might even be considered slight non-mainstream.
*week-long
Well, we have a week-log screening here and I already lament how undeserving these films have. Guess I should be more appreciate now I know that other countries have 1-day screening only
I wonder if anyone started out in the light novel industry as a stepping stone before moving on to real book writing. I also wonder how easy it is to get published.
Progressive is good from what I heard since he went back to his older material from a more mature outlook. Ordinal Scale is decent too coming from the same matured Kawahara.
Sometimes there are re-showings, some cinemas will play Akira for the billionth time for example.
I imagine seeing scenes like that being recorded in the recording booth would look quite strange.
Apparently, he even apologized to the voice actress for being subjected to voice a rape scene, so I guess even he has deep regrets about it. The LN doesn't have any more moments like this so I guess he matured a lot.
@Anon: The problem is that he was still a teen when he wrote Alicization, he just edited it a bit later. But I also wish he would have cut this scene, it's always so forced and feels so stupid.
Pancreas has no subs yet AFAIK
Ugh, ep10 of Alicinization reminded me why I disliked SAO so much years ago. I assume Kawahara still had some nasty tendencies in him when writing Alicinization despite being past his edgy teenage phase.
@Kaiser: It's the same here too. One day screenings and that's it. I also believe that anime are made for everyone it's just that the West (save for France and Italy maybe) doesn't give anime a chance. They are sure people would never care so they rather die or air the same awful scripted reality show for the 5th time rather than try showing anime that could appeal to adults like Monster.
The anon might want to watch that though, a torrent of it recently got uploaded.
Also Let me eat your pancreas wasn't shown here. But it was shown in Australia.
Although there are some films that America gets that we don't, the Heavens feel, the Madoka movies and Nanoha reflection showed in America but not here.
@SuperMario: That would be great.
Anime films seem to appeal to normies aswell.
I saw an older woman in my screening of Maquia and talked to her after it and she liked it.
Again, I don't know about elsewhere, but what surprised me was the amount of people who are seeing these in the audience who don't actually come off as anime fans and probably aren't.
But I'm genuinely surprised that my country would actually even go that far to even show them.
I don't know about all the other countries that get showings for these anime films, but here its a one day only thing each time one comes out.
Reviewig anime movies/ making posts about them might be something I can do in the future
@amagi: anime movies are somethingn I wanna raise more awareness as well. Normally each year there are 4,5 solid anime films out there, but like you said they’re hardly discussed
I've never heard of UFO no natsu.
I felt bad for the little girl in grave of the fireflies, the boy was already caught up though in "muhfascistempire is goat tier" for me to care about him as much as her.
The Air movie was more focused, better paced and visually directed with more panache than the show.
@Amagi: I have gone to almost every anime screening since the early 2000s and continue to.
And many have barely any sort of advertising so I only notice them coincidentally by seeing a thread on /a/ or because I see some screenshot somewhere.
Speaking of it there are so many great anime movies every year but nobody ever talks about them because the fans are split between those who see the screenings (that happen randomly depending on the country) and those who watch it a year later on their PC.
I also found Hotori sad but it's ages old and I never met anyone who cared about it besides myself. Also, Hanbun no Tsuki and UFO no natsu although these were 6 part ova. Colourful probably too and the Key movies. I actually like all these movies like Air or Clannad but I didn't like the series that much.
I think ultimately its the patience some of these sad films are made with that allows then to eventually land their effect.
SuperWooper
It takes a while to get to that point, though.
SuperWooper
"The Wind Rises" is pretty damn sad.
Well, Grave of Fireflies hands down. or Your Lie in April if you don't mind TV show
Then basically everything from Shinkai for example.
@Anon: You may need to let us now what type of drama you're into, are you okay with highly melodramatic stories?
if so anybody have any good sad anime movies?
anybody here?

Banana Fish – 23 [For Whom the Bell Tolls]

Welcome one and all penultimate episode of Banana Fish! This week we lose 2 antagonists, Blanca gets a history and Ash asks for help for the first time. Lets go! Opening, I have to say, a lot happened this week and Banana Fish just nailed it. No part of it felt particularly rushed or cut. […]

Planetes – 17 & 18 [His Reasons/Debris Sections Last Day]

Hello and welcome to another week of Throwback Thursday, with Planetes! This time Planetes drops it’s greater themes for some character drama, but brings it back with one big hurrah for our team. Lets jump in! In general, I wasn’t particularly impressed by this week. Every week I am waiting for something definitive to happen. […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 11 [Overflowing Drops]

Hello and welcome to the last week of Kaze Fui for 2018! This time Shindo gets dumped, the team rallies behind him and Kurahara catches an older mans eye. Lets jump in! First off, lets get the elephant out of the room. That’s right folks, no Kaze Fui until January 8th. Looks like they are […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 11 [The Dignity of Evil]

This week we see something that rarely happens: Gui Niao is in a fault mood. As it turns out, this little war between Enigmatic Gale and Dirty Cop is more about the Vape Wiz’s ego rather than the Glassed Boy. The usually collected-Gui Niao shows off a whole range of emotions this episode: from being […]

Banana Fish – 22 [As I Lay Dying]

Welcome to what is, to me, a very contentious episode of Banana Fish. This time Blanca gets sentimental, Ash learns Japanese, and Eiji sets Ash on a Warpath through no fault of his own. Let’s dive in! Overall, this was a good episode. It flipped everything on its head and, assuming Banana Fish doesn’t backpedal […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 10 [Monochromatic Crayon]

Irozuku, as meandering as it always is, has some stunning sequences this episode. It furthers proves the fact that 1) the magical sequence is where Irozuku really takes off and 2) its strength always come from its visual department, not in the storytelling. Take the sequence where Aoi steps into Hitomi’s dream, for example. He […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 10 [Collapse]

After a crucial episode last week where GRIDMAN reached its highest bar to date, it’s understandable that everything that follows it would be a letdown. Nothing in this new episode can beat the moment Akane jumped off the crane last week in terms of sketching her depression. This episode is where the entire cast goes […]

Planetes – 15 & 16 [In Her Case…/Ignition] – Throwback Thursday

Hello and welcome to perhaps the most intense week of Planetes yet. This time our Temp Worker gets some history and Hachimaki develops space PTSD. Let’s dive in! Off the bat, I want to apologize again for this being late. Work and doing 4 shows at once has slowed me down a bit. That said, […]

Goblin Slayer – 09[There and Back Again]

We reach the end of the water town arc and Goblin Slayer killed some goblins. I am not sure what else I expected. I must say that animation wise for a series heavily focused on action, the action itself is rather static. Sadly some of the more impactful panels of the manga were cut from […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]