Posted by Lenlo on 23 October 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Mahoutsukai no Yome

This week, Mahoutsukai moves into a slower pace. Showing off more of its world and delving a bit deeper into magic and how it connects to the world. Lets jump in.

There are two main points I want to touch on for this episode of Mahoutsukai. The first being the actual main focus of the episode, magic and dragons, and the second being Chise. I suspect that is going to end up being the split for most episodes, unless the treatment of Chise changes as we go.

The actual dragons, their story and how they connect to the world was actually very good. We meet Nevin, an ancient Uil type dragon, made of rock and earth. Covered in moss as it grows on his body. He takes on the wise, caring elder role. His purpose is to make Chise care about living again, with lines such as “The living should not envy the dead”. Its poignant and we see through some flashbacks that Chise seriously considered suicide, leaping from a building. Its all very tragic, I would almost say over done, but there is a subtly to it. Mahoutsukai doesn’t just say “Chise tried to kill herself, now look shes all better”, but chooses instead to show it.

It does this with Nevin’s line about envying the dead, comments about how he is glad she didn’t try to fly and a shot of her starting to fall. Its interesting to me that Nevin, this elder dragon, is showing Chise more kindness than any human she has supposedly met. As if to try and combat this pain, Nevin explains what is basically the circle of life for a dragon. How an Uil dies, becomes rock and earth for a tree or a glad. It pans over the mossy field, seeing multiple hills that are now revealed to be dead Uil’s. Its a solemn scene, finished by having Nevin share his final dream, that of flight, with Chise.

This particular scene was downright beautiful. Its mostly 3 images with some digital effects, changing the color of the water and increasing the brightness of the rising sun. However the music, the actual images themselves, everything works together really well here. Specifically, the music was gorgeous. Maybe I am just a sucker for piano pieces, but I loved it. The culmination in Nevin’s death and Chise basically witnessing death firsthand was all done well. As a whole, the actual story and focus of the episode was great. I love the mystical life lessons sort of stuff, its why I love Mushishi.

Problems arise though once we move on to our second main point of the episode, Chise and her treatment. You see we started this episode with Chise basically being kidnapped, yet not once is that really addressed. Its simply blown off with some light-hearted chibi art humor. Chise then becomes relegated to baby-sitting duty, while the adults go talk. That one alone isn’t particularly bad, as with her age that could happen to anyone. The role is treated less as “Woman watching the children” and more as “Child playing with other children”, which I find acceptable. The hatchlings really accept her as a friend. Really however the only character to treat Chise as something other than a child is Nevin the Grandpa Dragon, who truly does try to help.

Beyond that, we learn a bit more about Chise herself. Some flashbacks to her past, general treatment. There are some interesting parallels in regards to her flashbacks and what happens this episode. The obvious one is her almost suicide attempt, which then turns to Nevin and his dream. Next there is her sitting alone in a classroom, juxtaposed by her sitting coiled up with the 3 dragon hatchlings. It all looks like a buildup of love and assistance around her, which I like. They don’t just solve her past, her pain, with a few English breakfasts in a strange mans house. Instead it looks like Mahoutsukai is in for the long haul in regards to her trauma.

All in all a good episode. At this point I expect each episode focus/story to be pretty good. The art and music is on point and Mahoutsukai nails that magical world feeling. Only Chise’s treatment and the language used when referring to her is worrying, as characters all treat her like a child. Which she is technically, but we need to see some growing up from her.

Apologies for slight rush/lateness of this, but it has been a busy week. See you next time!

1. Vonter says:

To be honest, both in the manga, and anime. I don’t know how much this chapter added to the story. I didn’t get what was accomplished here, besides world building and a bit about the different perceptions Chise and the dragons have. With Chise seeing it as an escapism from an awful existence and the dragons seeing it as an offering to the world and passing their memories to the next generation.

Anyway, I think what still doesn’t work is the chibi sequences. Not that the style can’t work, but that the moments that are put on, feel like they do it is to hammer in a joke.

So far this anime has that Harry Potter feeling. With magical society living hidden from the “real” world.

• Lenlo says:

The chibi style, so far atleast, has taken away from the series imo. It just doesnt fit and ends up looking out of place with the rest of the detailed scenes.

2. Bokusen says:

This was the episode I found that this series just isn’t working for me. I love the magic elements, and really want to like the characters, but just…don’t. Chise is so passive and Elias is still creepy. I really hope the next episode impresses me, because this and Kujira were the new series I was most looking forward to this season, and I’ve already dropped Kujira…

Manga readers: Does Chise eventually show some initiative and *want* to do something? I get that she was suicidal, and feel for her, but it would be nice if she had a goal, or something. I know Elias is trying to make her a mage or something, possibly so she can control her powers better and live longer, but does she eventually want that, or does she just go along with it because she has no choice?

• Masky says:

Haven’t read it in a while, but I do remember her going through slow character development through whole series, especially when she gets more friends of her own age. There are some moments she does have initiative to do something instead of just being passive.

Elias though I’m pretty sure is supposed to be creepy. I think having deer skull as face is pretty give away about it.

• Bokusen says:

Thanks! Hmm, guess I’ll see how the next episode is and then decide whether I want to keep following it or not. I’m not sure if I could take 24 eps of Chise being passive. Makes me want to get back to reading the Twelve Kingdoms light novels instead. Not that I’m expecting this series to be like Twelve Kingdoms or Yona, but it would be nice if it at least got an overarching plot soon. Unless it’s meant to be “magical slice of life” or something, which would be cool too if I liked the characters more.

I’m glad Elias’s creepiness is at least intentional though. Unlike stuff like like those skeevy imouto shows… Makes me have a bit more faith in the mangaka.

3. Bufo viridis says:

This anime is so impressive. The pacing is a little slow, but the sheer beauty of it compensates for it. It was nice before, but this is the episodes that completely sold me. The only flaw so far is the main character who is still kinda dull. But I’m expecting some character development. Other than that, I don’t remember an anime that impressed me so much since Mushishi.
    ps
    Anyone noticed the Dodo birds on the island?

4. SuperMario SuperMario says:

I’m quite surprised with the general mixed reception regarding Chise’s character. For me, the show nailed it at depicing people who experience real depression and personal trauma. It’s her personal issue that I consider the biggest strength in this series and I found this episode quietly beautiful and one of the strongest episode so far this season

• Lenlo says:

I like Chise as a character herself and I like the slow pacing of how she is being developed. Her personal issues are great. As I said, I like that she isnt just fixed by a smile and an english breakfast.

I, and others, are iffy on other characters treatment of her however. Aside from Nevin the dragon, they all treat her like a child or a pet. Just kinda telling her where to go.

Its only 3 episodes in, this could be part of the character development they want, as she grows in agency as well. If not however, I will be unhappy.

5. Victim says:

I was expecting universal praise, but it is not the case? Hm.

@SuperMario
    I love that kind of thing. For example, I could watch Ikari Shinji doing nothing whole day. But with him, you see his avoidant traits in every gesture of his body. You can see how he constantly sways between opening up and barricading himself away. I feel no such thing here. For me Chise remains a blank slate self-insert magical isekai character.

This show is doing great job contrasting a hopeless character with all kinds of contexts, but that is about it so far.

And it really puts me off how they continue to introduce characters in a role of antagonist only to turn them inside out and hammer in the only trick so far – putting Chise into a hopeless position and then transform it into a positive experience, which is supposed to heal her (and probably also raise her stats, I mean she is basically the classic main shoujo character, who every character desires the most, the main guy is even overprotective of her, but somehow she still manages to get into all kinds of dangerous situations).

I’m positive there is some goodness to come, but for me this series is already spoiled enough to not really care. Ah. Every time I write a comment about this show, I end up lowering my own opinion of it…

• Lenlo says:

After the conversation we had last week, I started paying closer attention to how Chise herself is treat and I started to worry.

Visually Mahoutsukai is stunning. Sound design is the same. The only area I find it falling short is certain character aspects.

My favorite character so far, for example, is Nevin the ancient dragon. He had a clear purpose and didnt look down on anybody. He spent his last moments being the wise old grandpa and helpin the next generation. I thought he was done well.

Meanwhile, the Blonde Dragon Caretaker might as well not have existed in the episode.

6. Bokusen says:

Also, I forgot to mention it earlier, but thanks to Lenlo for the great review! It seems like you’re really getting into the swing of anime blogging.

7. Suburbanbanshee says:

For most of her life, every surprise Chise got was a bad surprise. I think the mages, in their own unsubtle way, are trying to give her some happy surprises. (While messing with Elias.)

There is also a tendency for people faced with someone very reserved and depressed to try to cheer him up by making Big! Emotional! Gestures!, and then to be a bit embarrassed about it.

Finally, one gets the impression that mages as a group are not exactly un-eccentric, or widely famed for their social skills.

But finally, Chise is a kid. Nobody has ever protected and treated her properly as a kid; but she is now hanging around with ancient beings, and they are darned well going to treat her like a kid. Or their version of a kid. Probably not the worst idea, either, since she’s got to build up her strength and learn a few things before she can act.

8. KTravlos says:

I finally watched. Despite the issues, episode 3 was truly a work of art. I am glad they left Chise with the hatch-lings. I think her interaction with them and Niven was more important for Chise’s development than anything she would gain by being included in the “grown-ups” talk.

• Lenlo says:

Oh Nevin and such was great. I loved them. I just worry about future treatment of Chise, which with episode 4, is slowly getting better.

Episode 4 will be up soon.

9. LaurenceBold says:

I have checked your website and i’ve found some duplicate content, that’s why you don’t
    rank high in google’s search results, but there is a tool that can help you to create 100% unique content, search for:
    SSundee advices unlimited content for your blog

10. prony bony says:

E5o7zT This is one awesome article post.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome. this link

@Amagi: I think the person who made the sub for Maquia did a pretty neat job. Not perfect but the translation flows well
We've seen realistic Pokémon fanart, but how does a movie looks when it attempts it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CKgQFo5U8
How are the subs for Maquia? I only heard anons complain about it.
*dealing with
Though you should really torrent it.
There is 1080p stream on kiss anime, if you hate deal with the ads on that site the 4up stream on anilinkz has the best quality of the available links
Where did you see Maquia online? I still need to watch it. PM it to me on discord maybe? Pretty please? <3
One fact that not many people know is that Penguin Highway is penned by Tomihiko Morimi. It indeed has many Morimi's signature inputs
This year, I'm doing well with catching up anime films (kudos for Australian's Madman who always license these titles very quickly). So far, I've watched Mirai, Maquia, Penguin Highway, Let Me Eat Your Pancreas and My Hero Academia the Movie
So I watched two anime movies this last week, Penguin Highway in theatre and Maquia online. Both of them are pretty solid in general, especially Penguin that has magical realism elements and some great chemistry. Whereas Mari Okada's writting still rubs me in the wrong way sometimes
D: He did, back in August actually apparently
@Lenlo: I heard Dino's voice actor died.
If we all took Goblin slayers attitude to trolls, then we would more easily ignore the trolls =P
Big twist in the golden kamuy manga.
Animosh
@SuperMario: remember that in the voice drama Rikka mentioned talking to Yuuta in their classroom during the ball game. Pretty sure it's about that.
@Animosh: i just watched the episode and noticed the lyrics as well. "The Promise" seems vague at the moment. Could be between Yuuta and whoever fits but I agree the "save someone from boredom" is about Akane
Animosh
You learn something every day. ;) Honestly though, I actually skipped the opening, so I hadn't even noticed that it had been translated until others pointed it out. And most of the time the lyrics are just cheesy one-liners, so I usually don't pay much attention to them either. But once in a while there's some nice hints hidden in there...
Y'know I never really ever paid attention to the lyrics in anime openings, I'd never thought to.
Animosh
The Gridman OP has been translated for the first time, and there's some pretty interesting reveals in there: it mentions a "promise" made in a classroom (so now we know how Yuuta and Rikka bonded in the past - glad it wasn't a simple confession), and talks of "rescuing" someone (presumably Akane) from boredom. So I guess she'll join the good guys eventually?
1200 words. I need to stop writing so much.
I haven't seen last weeks episode of Irozuku or this weeks =< I'm waiting now for a bit to see if the series paysoff.
Animosh
Goddamn those magic segments in Irozuku were stunning! It's a shame its humdrum drama can't live up to its visual beauty, but I'll take it.
I think Ash's design is based a bit on River phoneix.
Sorry Eiji but your Ash is in another castle.
@CoolerAnon: I was about to say that. Kidnapping gets used alot in shojo.
Anonymous3072040
Yeah Ash is basically Princess Peach
@Anon: I share your concerns, I don't know what studio is doing it. Some people want it to be mappa, some don't want it to be polygon pictures to adapt it. Its and long and violent manga, with some very funny at times dark humour, it could end up rushed and/or censored.
Anonymous3072021
As much as I love Dorohedoro I'm unsure if I should be happy or worried at it getting an adaptation, it isn't exactly the kind of story I imagine being easy to adapt well.
Yeah, I am touching on that in my writeup as we speak. The compressed story is causing Ash to be captured every other week.
Animosh
I agree Banana Fish was great this week though! My only gripe is that I'm getting sick and tired of seeing Ash get kidnapped again and again. He just escaped a couple of episodes ago! And he's just a lot more fun to watch when he's out there doing stuff.
Animosh
In a way the fights actually feel more realistic to me than those in Banana Fish. Sure, they're fantastical, bizarre even, but its battle system has a clear internal logic, and generally no power is infallible (each has its limitations). In Banana Fish the fights are rather poorly thought out by comparison. Their purpose is more to make Ash look cool than to give him realistic hurdles to overcome.
Animosh
@Kaiser: what sets Jojo apart from other battle shounen for me is how ridiculously creative its fights can get. Part 2 already shows some signs of this, but the introduction of the Stand system in Part 3 pushes it to another level, and in Part 4 the fights are consistently awesome. There are no simple beam struggles here: every fight is a battle of wits, between people with wildly different powers
Niel
Vinland Saga anime, and Now Dorohedoro just got announced. i'm really liking this trend.
Lots to writeup on Banana Fish this week.
Just finished it, I really like Blanca.
Because Jackie Chan and his stunt crew are some of the best in the world. There is a reason he has to insure his guys from his own pocket. No agency will take them
I have no idea how the hell Jackie Chan is still alive.
Action works best for me when I really feel that theres danger involved. Thats why when some actors do their own stunts, you can fear for the actors life, and also the character.
And thats why I'm a big fan of all that Chinese martial arts stuff from the 60s and 70s, that really expertly crafted chereography.
As for action, I like good choreography more than any super powers. Its why Cowboy Bebop, Seirei no Moribito, Sword of the Stranger and some Naruto fights are fantastic.
Im about to watch this weeks episode, so this chat makes me hopeful. I agree Ash and Eiji are the backbone of the series, and yeah me and Kaiser both agreed that the Gang war aspect was pretty weak, though I thought the finish with Arthur wasnt half bad
And I think Banana fish has a great grit to it for this reason.
I'm even more thankful to Banana fish too for that it keeps the action within the bounds of out of fantasy.
I've always been kind of a guns and swords and kungfu gut.
Black lagoons great example of anime action I can get behind.
I always found weapon combat and fist/kicking combat more raw and real,tangible than beamspam.
But yeah if you're not a fan supernatural power fantasy action shounens, then maybe not your cup of tea, and that's totally cool
Oh also if I'm recommending a fight from part 4, I'd say check out Highway Star
Kira is a pretty cool villain though; he's always underpowered compared to the main heroes, but manages to somehow get out of the situation with luck or smarts; if nothing else, I'd recommend watching some Youtube clips
*Turn off. lol.
Its more than, even when I was younger supernatural power fantasy action shounen never appealed to me.
Admittedly JoJo always has bad with exposition though, and always will be just due to the style, so that can definitely be a turn on for some people
If you like slice of life with hijinks and a murder mystery combined with cool battles, you'll like part 4
Yeah I can see why you might not like part 1 & 2, they were made in the 80s; I'd recommend part 4 and part 5 (ongoing rn) tbh, I feel like those are better for a modern viewing experience
I used to think that BF's greatest strength was the plot; know I realize it's really about Ash & Eiji's connection first and foremost: as good as the plot can be, Ash & Eiji's relationship is absolutely the backbone.
@Anon: Also that scene where Ash is thinking to himself, looking over Eiji.
Nah, I pretty much gave up on jojo midway through part 2.
Also, anybody notice Blanca's VA is Kira (from Diamond is Unbreakable)? What a wonderful duwang!
@Niello: The producer guy Miyano is voicing, much like the show is irritating because the show has this "look at me look at me" feel to it, it just comes off as desperate to me and this is just going by the one episode I watched and hated.
What's that damn piano song that plays when Ash and Eiji are talking about Japan. It's too good. For some reason, it's really magical
@Anon: I was the one who said that.
@Niello: You don't need to see steins; gate zero, myself and lenlo discussed it to death as it was airing, its all over the place. I like the original too but after a while of the first half being fun, I just wanted it to start.
Phew, great episode of BF; whoever said the gang war stuff was the weakest point was right. this stuff is getting fantastic again.
Niello
Also I agree, Zombieland first episode was amazing, second episode is still rather great, and then the other episodes have just been meh.
Niello
In Zombieland it doesn't help that the character he's voicing with that tone is an asshole, which isn't a good combination because it's making him more annoying by the episode.
Niello
Steins;Gate is pretty good, but I don't think I like it nearly as much as most people do (I gave it a 7/10). I also haven't bothered with Steins;Gate 0. And although I didn't mind Myano in Steins;Gate, I didn't particularly like his voice there either.
I love the sombreness of Blanca's character. Poor Ash, so broken in this episode.
Yeah after episode 2 it's been a downgrade. Zombieland is still alright to watch but it really has become what it parodied.
Zombieland sadly has winded down. I mean it was expected but still I was hoping some more creative attempts to use in the typical genre. It'll have been better if they had waken up more slowly in order to flesh the archetypes a bit more. It still has charismatic moments though.
Really Niello? See, I like it because it's the voice we never got in Steins;Gate 0. Its Okabe's Kyouma voice, and I have a nostalgic love for it
Wasn't gyary isekai another one that existed?
Niello
I hate Miyano voice in Zombieland Saga and find him annoying tbh.
I am getting sick of self aware humour though. I see this show as something that was fun to make (such as Miyano seems to be feeling based on performances) but not fun for me to watch and that kind of extends to the manager who while I agree would be the best part of the show, I stopped finding funny after the joke was done.
For me, the main selling point of Zombieland Saga was always Miyano. I love this mans crazy voice.

And in regards to Isekai, discounting this most recent one, SAO actually is pretty good this season so far. Kirito is still bland, but its taking things a lot slower and actually building the world. Its taking its time with 52 episodes
By the sound of it, if some who liked the first episodes don't care for the ones beyond those two episode, then I'm glad I stopped watching.
I did flick through episode 2 but the rap battle thing was particularly awful.
@Anon: I couldn't stand the humour and have up on the show after the first half of episode 1.
What Zombieland does have that Ore doesn't is better animation and Miyano hamming it up. But that's all it has going for it at the moment.
You have a few "ha ha look at this" moments scattered here and there like how Ore episode 5 was basically one big middle finger to the nature of anime production, or Zombieland's Tae Yamada. But the parody value from the first two episodes is all but gone.
@Anon: Its in part my own fault , I jumped the gun in the first half of episode one then all goodwill I had for it died after the first couple of minutes.
@Kaiser Same here. Very disappointed that Zombieland is going down the same route that Mahou Shoujo Ore went down: basically becoming what it purported to parody.
Every isekai that pops up in recent seasons, I simply just ignore it.
On another note, surely I'm not the only one who dropped zombieland saga? I'm not alone am I?
I mean, I've never seen an episode of konosuba or rezero and refuse to , no game no life is a series of two halves, I barely watched any of gate .
I think the only one I can say I care about is Tanya.
Y'know I think I've done a fairly good job at avoiding the modern isekai thing, I've never actually cared enough to sit through one fully beyond the first season of log horizon, 4 seasons of zero no tsukaima. Other than that I've seen maybe 7 episodes of sword art . Never seen a single episode of overlord and won't.
@Anon: I'm also glad their mentioning stuff like the peoples will, the historical assassination of the Russian emperor. I enjoy the tidbits of historical reference for the most part.
@Anon: But I don't think the animation is as good as it should be in the anime adaptation and its not as violent as the manga.
@Anon: I am up to date on the manga, the post first scene chapters that have caught my attention most have been Edogai, the big scenes in the prison and that bonnie and clyde duo.
@SuperMario Are you watching GK s2? Any thoughts on it since you aren't covering this weekly?
I think I laughed more from this than most of the comedies airing right now thanks to these bizarre situations and characters they're introducing.
The anime is now covering the parts in the manga where things get a lot more dramatic, and a lot more weird and oddly hilarious.
Wonder if anyone is still watching Golden Kamuy? We're way past the embarrassing CG bear.
A polar bear isekai exists.
@Anon, it will be after in another world but a polar bear but before the gyarus in another world Isekai.
MaskyAtPublicComputer
Nobody could care about world building not really making sense or being inconsistent if it didn't have the grimderp parts that cause internet flame wars
MaskyAtPublicComputer
So it goes back to what I said: GS at its core is about (at least seemingly) about cool gorey tactical action with some character study of what its like to be broken person like GS is, but rape stuff just kinda ruins it for most people and it doesn't handle subject well
MaskyAtPublicComputer
gear doesn't rust and break down
MaskyAtPublicComputer
Anyhoo, I might remember wrong, but didn't GS purposedly use lower quality gear that has danger of breaking down in middle of combat? Thats kinda what I meant with "apparently using average quality gear is too dangerous", especially since its kinda hard to believe goblins could repurpose armor used by humans for themselves. I'm completely okay with him not using magical gear since D&D wise magical
MaskyAtPublicComputer
Like, you can't be like "Aha, characters think they are in JRPG, but its actually tabletop rpg oh wait no, it still follows realistic logic instead of tabletop rpg rules"
MaskyAtPublicComputer
See, barbarians in D&D don't wear armor because they are stronger without it, sure they have lower AC, but they have lot of health so they can tank a hit. So showing barbarian adventure dying in one hit because they were stupid enough to not wear armor just comes across as "So wait, is this supposed to be realistic, tabletop rpg or JRPG or what?"
MaskyAtPublicComputer
@AidanAK47: That IS actually part of reason why I said GS' author isn't thinking it through with world building. See, I actually think world being gods' D&D campaign does actually explain lot of details about how things don't make sense and it does fit with GS being D&D inspired, but that is another example of how GS is inconsistent.
Perhaps not the strongest episode of honda-san, but the golden kamuy and Brazilian guy bit made up for it.
I might give it a watch after Kaze Fui finishes and write that up, just for you then.
The anime kind of feels a bit live actiony, which I know sounds confusing to hear, what I mean is the character designs.
I'm very interested in doing a comparison between the anime adaptation and the live-action adaptation of Kaze ga once the series concludes next year just because these are two different mediums adapting the same novel. I would really like to know what they had to change or cut to get it down to 2 hours, compared to this two-cour series.
*storytelling
Old films are particularly a coin toss with the huge build up model style of story, the writer needs to be really good to connect all the dots in the last act.
To me, delayed plot points like that are the best, but also dangerous. If it sets it up and pays it off well, its fantastic. However if it falls short, then its a long promise that failed to get fulfilled and it stings.
I'm not a fan of these exposition last minute backstory then the character dies just afterwards "development".
Kaze has created a mood and rhythm thats justified its slow burn, by gradually unveiling rather than one giant infodump, the series seems more natural for it.
A pity that some folks are going to drop Kaze ga just because they're not getting immediate catharsis from seeing Haiji getting what he deserves according to them. We're still likely going to get reasons for his actions eventually, but it will take a while especially when we haven't seen the consequences from the rest of the team. Patience is a virtue.
However, I doubt this sentiment will be shared with most anime viewers who are too used to expecting immediate payoffs because of the episode amount leading to a need to rush through developments.
You know, with most adaptations being required to move quickly to adapt source material from the manga/LNs just to fit in 12/24 episodes, seeing a show like Kaze ga take its time with the episodes it has as a novel adaptation is kind of refreshing.
@Anon, I havnt seen this weeks episode yet, but I am hoping the same. Haiji needs a bit of a reality check. I like him, but he has been very manipulative so far
Yup! I am a fool who keeps covering long shows
Beyond Kakeru's story, I think I'm invested in Kings one aswell. Due to how easily relatable it would be for most.
I wasn't aware Kaze ga was a two cour series.
I haven't read the light night novels, only some of the manga adaptations, is the "its a game of the Gods" thing ever followed up/developed on later in the light novels?
And perhaps show some vulnerability from Haiji, since it seems like other people are getting the impression that we have to sympathize with a manipulative liar and con artist. Granted, I don't think Haiji is exactly that. It's stupid to pidgeonhole Kaze ga's characters under sweeping generalizations.
I'm kinda hoping that during Kaze ga's next episode, that most of the team ends up underperforming during the track meet aside from Haiji and Kakeru. It would show just how unready the team is for the marathon.
If we are really gonna dig deep into how the GS world functions the big question is how the hell they manage names if everyone is named after their class.
On another note Masky, part of the game like nature of the world of Goblin slayer is because it literally is a D&D campaign between the gods.
And I told you lot that it was going to be popular right? Why are you surprised?
@Masky, That's not the reason he uses lower quality gear. With the amount of goblins he's killing any higher quality weapon would be rendered useless and he doesn't require anything fancy to kill goblins.
Exactly! I loved both of those series as well. I love series where tactics are involved, instead of just yelling louder and getting stronger. Some old Naruto fights had this to, though that fell apart in Shippuden.
@Lenlo - Something like Yuyu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter were they made a plan for attack through the episode and then do it?
For me, the appeal of GS was, excluding the rape, the attempted realism of the combat. I was hoping for a sort of guerrilla warfare against the goblins esq series. Where a protagonist wins via tactics and knowledge, instead of typical shonen raw power. Sadly that has fallen off a bit since episode 1.
Thats kinda what I meant though, it wouldnt' be as notable if GS didn't try to be "realistic" aka you know how whole first episode is about how longswords suck in narrow caverns and such. It kinda draws attention to stuff that doesnt' make sense
Even Mirai Nikki was at least bat shit insane on how it played fast and loose with its shock value just for the sake of having a twist.
Still aside from the shock value and the memes I don't get the appeal of this particular series. And I'm saying that as someone who liked Hellsing and Elfen Lied and the shocking parts of Evangelion. And to me I think this isn't as blatant, manipulative or even that edgy. Might just think the intend is perverse but it just hasn't build an atmosphere as let's say Attack on Titan.
I agree there's something off when one puts more thought in what the author intends than what the story does. Because like sexualization and violence is all about how you frame it. The manga I think has more male gaze towards the situation than what the anime has shown, because on one the depiction is centered on the victim and the other at least cuts more towards the attacker.
@Masky - If you think about it. Monsters in fantasy setting rarely are put in depth. How does their populations work? Why several live in dungeons? Beasts, animals and spirits are usually put in the same group.
Like, Goblin Slayer's wholse speculation about goblin hatred for everyone else being cycle of revenge thing kinda becomes weird when you realize "wait a sec, they can't breed on their own, so even if adventurers never attacked them, wouldn't they still attack villages?"
Like, if you check the interviews with authors, it seems like only reason he actually chose to include goblin rape was to make checklist of things that make them really horrible/horrifying :P So without really thinking about "is this good idea to include", which kinda pops up lot in the work where author really didn't think "does this make sense"
t and realize its really dumb logic to increase your chances of dying because you don't want goblins to take average quality gear :P
Thats my point though, the whole goblin rape thing makes it harder to suspend disbelief because 1) it really clashes with actual tone of the work 2) there are other logical problems with GS. Such as Goblin Slayer's logic of "I use poor quality gear because I know I will one day fightnig goblins so I want to avoid giving them good quality gear" is type of thing that sounds cool until you think a bi
Willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe something surreal; sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment.
Heck on point 3, why the frick side characters treat the world like it is jrpg world. Like, why is there armorless shirtless barbarian character in setting where they can die from one spear to the chest, it doesn't make setting world building wise for that character to have survived to be high ranking adventurer in first place
I mean, let's face it, in world where goblins like that exist 1) why the heck would they have reputation as harmless pests, they wipe out entire villages 2) what kind of governing body would either let villages be destroyed by "pests" or let villages they can't guard be established 3) why the heck wouldn't all adventures use helmets in world that doesn't follow jrpg logic?
Anyhoo, my opinion on GS is that it really should have avoided goblin rape thing because it makes people take the show more "seriously" which makes it hard to justify it being popcorn movie level world building.
Do note though, that over use of rape IS one of things bad about Berserk :P
@Lenlo - Yeah according to Crunchyroll Goblin Slayer has been seen across several places. Being the only unanimous anime I've seen in their infographics. https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/05/crunchyroll-reveals-fall-2018s-most-popular-anime-by-region
I also don't care that much. I read Berserk. Rape Horse is a meme in that community. Really, Berserk's trolls did it first. The only reason no one got upset with Berserk's trolls in the anime adaptation is because no one was still watching when it got to that point

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 06 [Golden Fish]

Irozuku takes us to episode 6 for something significant happen, but even then it’s decidedly under-dramatic. This week, we have a whole lot more of magical moments that certainly are the feast to the eyes, and develop many underlying themes of its narrative. The central of the conflict this week is Hitomi and Aoi, as […]

Zombieland Saga – 04-06[Warming Dead SAGA/The Nice Bird SAGA in Your Heart/Because It’s Sentimental SAGA]

Forgive me for my lack of coverage on this series but you may have guessed that my enthusiasm for it has died down considerably. I always felt that Zombieland Saga was in danger of losing what made it great in its first two episodes and sadly that has come to pass. This show has ultimately […]

Banana Fish – 18 [Islands in the Stream]

Ah Banana Fish, back in form this week. Ash and Eiji act like a married couple, Blanca show’s everyone whose boss and Yut continues to have no idea what’s going on. Lets jump in! On a general note Banana Fish is really picking back up. The Gang War/Hospital were easily the weakest part of the […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai – 05-06[All the lies I have for you/This world you chose]

Thus we hit the end of another arc and admit it wasn’t a particularly interesting one due to not much being at stake. The characters helped keep it from getting boring but the main conflict was obvious from the start and the solution even more so. So to get things in perspective, Koga and Sakato […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 6 [The Emperor’s New Clothes]

Hello and welcome to another, if slower than normal, week of Kaze Fui! This time we have friendship, training and Haiji continues to get off scott-free! Lets jump in! Now Kaze Fui this week was, in my opinion, a bit of a non-starter. I don’t think it really addressed or dealt with many of the […]

Planetes – 7 & 8 [Extraterrestrial Girl/A Place to Cling To] – Throwback Thursday

Welcome one and all to another week of Planetes, continuing Throwback Thursday! This week we have a beautiful contrast of Life and Death in space followed by a lighthearted affirming of the group dynamic. Lets jump in! Before I get into actual plot elements, I want to once again praise Planetes for its use of […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 5 [It’s a Book Signing!! Everyone Gather Up / A Fascinating Erotic Story]

Another week, another 10 minutes well spent with Honda-San. This time we have Golden Kamuy references, a Brazilian and lots, ridiculous amounts really, of gay Erotica. Lets jump in! To be honest, Honda-San started off worrying me this week. It wasn’t until maybe the 3 minute mark that it seemed to pick up. I think […]

Goblin Slayer – 04-05[The Strong/Adventures and Daily Life]

Episode four is one of those episodes which has me at a loss about what to even say about it. I mean in this episode Goblin Slayer went and slayed some goblins and in other news the Pope is still catholic. I mean sure there was a unexpected interruption of a Orge leading them which […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 05 [Provocation]

I feel like it’s inevitable that we eventually get to this episode. It’s an episode where the cast will wear some sort of bikini and swimsuit and show as much skin and flesh as possible. We’re also talking about Trigger for Christ sake, one of the leading studio when it comes to fan-service. Right at […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]