Posted by Lenlo on 27 November 2017 with categories: Finished Series: Adventure/Fantasy/Science Fiction, Inuyashiki

As disappointing as it is to admit, Inuyashiki has broken its hot streak. This week, thought it has both highs and lows, was on average a let down. From heel-turns to a blistering pace, there is a good deal to cover, so let’s jump in.

While the show is named Inuyashiki, we have seen far more of Hiro than of the titular main character. This episode, we finally see Hiro own up to what he is. He admits to Shiro he is the killer, opens up about being a robot. It feels like some progress is about to be made for him. Then in a ridiculous heel-turn, Hiro decides to heal people to make up for all his murder. On one hand, I like their exploration of “the good outweighs the bad”. It’s a worthy concept to look at. Yet on the other, it’s so sudden and comes after a veritable murder spree, because a girl he doesn’t care about asked him to. Its like he is latching on to anything to make him feel human.

The problem is, it’s all so sudden and difficult to believe. Based on how Hiro’s mother was treated, I think Shiro’s fate is obvious. MAPPA is setting people up in Hiro’s life just to knock them down and push him further into murder. This whole side track with healing people, curing cancer, feels like a waste of time when we know it won’t last. Some of the side stories were nice, like the woman with terminal cancer, and Hiro/Shiro’s use of twitter. It was a nice touch and made the individual scenes work. However, the police raid at the end was expected and showed that Hiro’s 180 was done purely to try and get the viewer to sympathise with him. There was no exploration of the concept, of good outweighing bad. It’s rather disappointing.

Speaking of the side stories, let’s talk about those. In general these were a nice touch. The hardest hitting part of the episode for me was the Salary Woman. Her cancer, her depression, her giving up yet wanting to live. The meeting with her boss, the weeping in the park, all sold it so well. Then we had the man who didn’t believe the kids, who thought they were punking him. The mix of reactions and attitudes to their good deeds made it more than just a montage. Had the lead in to it been better, less of a complete 180, it could have been great. Instead I fear it marks the beginning of a downward trend for Inuyashiki

All in all, a worrying episode. Its starting to follow a formula. Its forgetting its mature themes and characters in favor of shock and faux emotion with Hiro. It can still salvage it, it has 4 more episodes. But I only get more and more worried. We haven’t seen or explored Inuyashiki’s family at all. Our leads have not clashed or really gotten to know each other at all. How can there be a conflict of ideologies, a parallel theme Inuyashiki has been so fond of until now, if they never actually meet until the end.

I know its a shorter review this week, apologies for that, however there isn’t as much worth mentioning nor am I particularly excited about this episode. I hope its just a lackluster transition to Inuyashiki vs Hiro. See you next week!

1. silver says:

A fine review as usual. I noticed a few weeks ago that the promo poster depicts Inuyashiki-san’s daughter sitting on a floor of a garage surrounded by robot parts and tools, so I thought she was going to become Inu-san’s mechanic or something. That’d be awesome; I’d love more Winry Rockbells. I assumed that we’d see multiple clashes between Inuyashiki-san and Shishigami (as depicted in the OP) where they are evenly matched, but eventually Inu-san edges out a victory due to the efforts of the people supporting him, something unavailable to Shishigami because of his actions.

I also have to agree about how the show has become formulaic and predictable. On one hand I think it’s a sign of well-implemented realism that I can accurately guess what happens next, but it gets boring. I don’t watch fiction for the realism. Pretty much the only thing I didn’t really predict was the comradery between Andou and Inuyashiki-san, and it’s explicitly shown in the OP, sooo I’m just an idiot.

Of course we all know what’s going to happen as a result of the police raid; it’s exactly as Lenlo said. Whether Shion and her grandmother are killed, incarcerated, or put into a protection program, the result is that Hiro loses his last thread to humanity and devolves into a prototypical cackling antagonist. It’s a supervillain origin story. I feel the show draws some inspiration from western superhero comics.

I did enjoy Shion’s impassioned denouncement of Hiro’s murders. Something like, “you’ve deprived [the victims] of everything.” I can even firmly understand her continued association with and support of Hiro, and I don’t think it’s because of love or psuedo-Stockholm. It seems that she wants salvation for Hiro because she’s legitimately worried for his declining humanity. She isn’t afraid of being killed by him, perhaps because of her lack of self-worth or maybe because of an intuitive trust – one that wasn’t incorrect as we see Hiro stay his blade for the first time when he was attempting to ‘bang’ her (hah!). So often it’s portrayed that lovers remain with their nefarious SOs because of shallow romantic sentiment or stupidity. With fairly sparse dialogue, this show has given us much insight into Shion’s personality. She is another character that has been developed more than the titular protagonist.

I echo your sentiments that this episode was the beginning of a decline. I don’t think any egregious errors have been made, but the disappointing ending of the manga conforms very well with the style of this story. I’m impressed with the amount of pragmatism the plot portrays given that it’s about omnipotent alien androids, but why end the fiction with that one major change? It’s like the author is terrified of plotholes so he wrote a story about a kind old man and a clinical psychopath with exactly one tweak.

2. KTravlos says:

There is no heel-turn. Hiro did not find goodness in his heart etc. All he is doing fits fully into his psychopathy at least as I see it. He seeks to feel human by jolting himself with strong experiences. The pain of the people he kills was this, but guess what, the poor girls blind and desperate love towards him, her NEED for him, works just as fine. Hiro acts as a caricature of his own manga/anime shounen heroes. Strong emotions are the only emotions worth having. The terror of death exhibited by others worked like this, as does this poor girls blind adoration. He is still a psychopathic killer. It is not diffrent with someone like H.H.Holmes (About whom I am reading). He savored both the death of women, as well as their adoration/ infatuation with him. Both were fine fixes.

• Lenlo says:

He didn’t care about her adoration of him when she confessed to him earlier on though. Why should it effect him now? He clearly doesn’t care for her, as he has toyed with killing her multiple times.

At best, he looks to be clinging on to this hope that he can still be normal or just forget about what happened with the murders. To me, this looks like a play for sympathy on Hiro as a character, so we will feel sad when it inevitably comes crashing down around him as evidenced by the police raid at the end.

• KTravlos says:

Different form of dependence. Saying one loves you is quite normal-or banal for Hiro. Not unique enough or strong enough to cause emotion in him. But when she did that during the flight, what she said (do not abandon me and grandma) was not so banal, common place. It worked in triggering emotions in him. I really do not think the creator was trying to make Hiro sympathetic here. I mean I did not feel any sympathy for him on this (I did so when he learned he had lost his mom). I mean the fact that Hiro asks people to tweet about his “saving” them casts a poor picture in comparison to Iyunushaki’s same actions. If they wanted to give sympathy points to Hiro they would not had included this massive difference. Hiro is still a sociopath, and at least I do not see any attempt to garner sympathy for him in how the creators have used this arc.

3. Vonter says:

I caved in, and read the manga, I thought it’ll be a long winded story like Gantz, yet it’s shorter than I expected and I liked where it went.

4. MarigoldRan says:

No, his behavior seems accurate. I’m comparing his behavior to a slightly more messed up version of myself and I can understand what he is doing.

For example, if I felt a strong desire to see people die, I would probably do as he did. Except go about it a bit smarter. Use disguises and what-not.

You think he’s shallow? Yes. That’s fine. It’s called shallow affect. I have it, too. As a result people like us are extremely pragmatic. Social rules are just that: rules. To get ahead, or to get along.

Am I psychopath? No. But close. Is he a psychopath? Yes.

• Lenlo says:

I don’t mind the sociopathic side, I simply find the about face he made towards healing poorly done.

Its not Hiro I thought shallow, but the attempt at sympathy the episode made.

• MarigoldRan says:

He just doesn’t give a shi-, mostly. One day he’s nice, the next day he kills people. What’s the big deal?

• Lenlo says:

I simply found it poor story telling. It didnt sell well to me.

If you enjoyed it, I am happy for you. Its a good show, that much cannot be disputed.

• MarigoldRan says:

Interesting response. It is a good show. But question for you: are we watching the same show?

• Lenlo says:

I suspect so. People simply have different tastes. When watching what was initially sold as a psychological thriller with some action, what I expected was more along the lines of Monster, with its questions and humanity and morals.

Im not getting that, but doesn’t mean its bad. I think its important to recognize how much material they are covering in this. Supposedly the original manga is 80 chapters, so if they are going to try and finish it this season, we should expect some fast pacing and crunches.

To me, thats what this portion felt like. Speeding through what could have been an interesting direction for Hiro’s character, while we focused more on Inuyashiki. But it wasn’t and instead was setup for more tragedy for Hiro. That disappointed me, as I have seen tragedy done better, in places like Monster.

• Lenlo says:

I have feared by the way that I am being overly critical. Once the season is over though I plan on looking over everything with the full picture.

5. MarigoldRan says:

No, no, I’m not upset about the critical part.

As in literally: do our eyes see the same show?

Because I would argue it’s not physically possible for two people to see the same show.

6. MarigoldRan says:

I’m fine with your criticism btw. What I’m curious about is this:

Everyone who watched Inuyashika will write a different review of the show. Like, literally. The words won’t be the same.

So… doesn’t the evidence show that each person watched a DIFFERENT show?

That philosophical issue has been bugging me.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

Oh, on that. Let’s me chime in too. We all watch the same shows I can argue (what happened on the big screen always remains the same), but we perceive it diffrently, we have different takes on it and ultimately we write/ word it differently. So to answer your question, we are watching the same shows but our perceives are different since we all have different perspectives about the same thing. Exactly how no one can recall the same night exactly the same.

That makes discussing with others so much fun in my opinion, since others can point out something that you’ve missed, or even change your minds on certain plot points.

7. MarigoldRan says:

But if everyone’s perspective is different, how do we know we’re watching the same show?

8. MarigoldRan says:

Maybe everyone is watching a different show but assume they’re watching the same thing.

dragon ballsy
one piece
one piece
ahahahaha so that was it, she is voiced by Kana Hanazawa.
Something that came to mind when watching that quintuplets show, somehow the archetype I ended up going for was Ichika's character somehow. Never usually the case.
Y'know usually its fairly consistent, traits I notice/like/am attracted to most in a character's appearence and then there are those odd cases where I somehow end up finding a character attractive or something that I'd usually never.
Search box is up there ^^
overlord
overlord
Glad to here you have brand new one coming up Kaiser
New computer on its way now, 24 inch screen, wireless everything, 1000gb, got it for only 800 euro.
The current laptop I've got on loan I'm using is kind of a pain to use, makes doing anything including typing/posting/watching slow, its a ropey old windows millenium edition laptop that I'd stopped using years ago.
@Amagi: Also a sequel to legend of koizumi has been translated.
@Kaiser: thanks for the links!
Just bought the parts for a new gaming PC and assembled them. Love my old PC but modern shooters and HD rpgs are lagging too much as well as drawing programs. Welp.
Get well soon, Kaiser’s CPU!
Dammit, my main computer crashed suddenly, see you all in a few days to a week maybe =< borrowing someone elses laptop.
Dororo or Durarara. That is the question
The cutscenes in that game kinda look a bit off, like with the Dragon Prince show they look a bit choppy.
Personally, I'm really hoping that Orange did them so they can gain more recognition working on a big franchise.
I'm guessing Orange, Polygon or GEMBA did the CG cutscenes for the new Fire Emblem. They look too different from Echoes' CG cutscenes to come from Khara.
It was always the second Zelda game I never played, that one is frowned upon.
I see Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time as two halves of a single whole. Ocarina had the standard story but expanded from what was set in A Link to the Past. Majora's Mask has more in common to Link's Awakening being more about the characters you meet, and even Link himself. I think one has what the other doesn't. Ocarina had better dungeons, but Majora had more involved and menaningful sidequest.
The remastered ocarina of time soundtrack is some of my favourite videogame music out there.
I also loved the freaky-ass whip arms final boss too.
It seemed darker too.
I hold the unpopular opinion of liking majoras mask more than Ocarina, it was a harder game and it felt bigger, there was more side quest stuff to do aswell.
@Vonter: Similarly, its be so very long since I played it, it was all the way back in 1993.
I don't remember disliking it but I don't recall a lot of things. I mainly remember the ending, the animals and bit with a Goblin king that reminded me of The Hobbit.
I remember loving the end theme music too.
I know its not ranked among the best Zelda games, but links awakening was the first zelda game I played in the early 90s, I also remember they re-released a colour version of it too that allowed you to do extra stuff with the gameboy camera and printer.
So Nintendo had a Direct. A sequel to Mario Maker, a remake to Link's Awakening, a Tetris Battle Royale game, a new game from Platinum games called Astral Chain, a school type Fire Emblem, etc.
@Amagi: Also new Putin isekai chapter is out.
Apparently there's gonna be another iteration of Bem. With whole new character redesigns. I suppose at some point they felt they needed to update them, since 4 iterations looked very similar and may come off as too retro for today. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-02-11/twitter-user-compares-latest-yokai-ningen-bem-designs-to-previous-installments/.143177
I just hope they actually do something with the leg. Its been used as a cliffhanger 1 to many times for me
@Anon: It was good seeing a more serious side to the twins and I think Haiji's leg issues will provide some good drama.
lol I think it's more like an orthopedic check-up. That strain from the race must've gave him concern about if he's able to run the Ekiden or not under this condition.
*Ahem* excuse the gory joke =P
Oh my God! Imagine if it like got cut and amputated off or something like that scene in gone with the wind! It'd be like....GONE with the run with the wind.
Looks like we're getting more on Haiji's leg again.
I guess if I was asked why I did anything, including if it was some game/sport or if I was a runner I'd probably answer the question by saying I was in it for a laugh or for a genuine good time because it'd be something I'd be enjoying.
@Kaiser, Dororo was awesome. This was a great week and arc. Mio is best girl.
Look, if the ending can make it work, I will forgive the CGI runners. But you have to admit, they don't look good
Anonymous3419991
@Lenlo But for now, you'll just have to grin and bear it when the next preliminary races prior to the Ekiden use CG for the background runners.
Anonymous3419991
I heard from a novel reader that the book is 10 chapters long, and this is currently adapting chapter 8. Chapter 10 covering the Ekiden is the longest part of the novel and will probably be covered in 3 episodes. Hope IG is saving all their resources on this finale judging by the CG used in previous episodes.
Anonymous3419991
It's also great to see how far Kurahana has come since the start. Even when confronting Sakaki being arrogant and all.
Anonymous3419991
And so this episode of Kaze ga is a breather episode, but we do get some more character development with the twins. It's nice to see Fujioka again.
@Lenlo: I would happily have watched two more episodes of this arc in dororo.
Well alright
Fuurophausiyuder
Speaking of loving hell fonts, I notice that the review body text, and this text here are both sans-serif; which sort of princess of variable typefaces is not present for this readability bit to land?
Fuurophausiyuder
Dororo is awesome for just the hell fonts. I kind of expect on-brand gazebos (the temple to the 10 demons) to sell well this summer at Lowe's, Restoration Hardware, RH, wherever it is actually okay stuff derives, etc. I was kind of hoping the transitional story would lift all transitional boats, but that storyline has gone to soil microbes in the USA diaspora (though you know, stay classy PR.)
Fuurophausiyuder
Kemurikusa is like Kemeko DX if all the chemicals were fentanyl and the promise of a plot muted by lingering death were only ever expected to be a possibility. What had anyone watching ep. 3...5? Clinical use?
I'm also glad that tv anime like this is allowed to be so violent in this day and age.
To be honest it really is the only new show this season I currently especially care about.
I decided to read the whole Dororo manga and I think this weeks episode was every bit as moving as the manga was while building on it. I think if adapted correctly dororo (the character)'s backstory, the stuff with Daigo's son will be a highlight. I do think they could get rid of shounen shark guy though later on and not bother including him.
The other thing, is how both this and She Ra have the same premise of the main character changing from the villain to the heroic side. I don't know if that's a good pattern but it's and interesting way to build a female character in which the relationship with their old friends is a way to add pathos.
It felt like a new version of inspector Gadget could be do like this. Considering how it frames the criminal organization (for kids). And also maybe a crossover could work?
I watched the Carmen SanDiego Netflix series. It was ok. I did like the simple visual style and Saturday morning vibe. It's clearly more for a younger audience, yet it wasn't that boring. Still all I could think about while watching it were 2 things:
Kaiser, make sure to check your inbox
@Bothanons: Issues on both sides of the spectrum.
@Wooper: Its the politest take you could get on that premise.
@Mario: I think the anime skipped some stuff from the after the rain manga, I should probably read the manga.
Edgy 14 year olds everywhere
moralfags everywhere
SuperWooper
I heard that show was about a teenage girl's crush on an older man. Sounds pretty problematic to me. I'm with the rest of the Internet on this one.
Apparantly the other side of anime fandom (the internet) doesn’t watch Koi wa Ameagari
The reddit anime awards are done! I did it! I was on stream! Oh joy. Can talk about this now.
@Niello: I have decided to adopt the same approach for the new True detective season also.
niello
@Eoghan: Exactly my thought three episodes in. I wish I realise it before I picked up the show, because I definitely need to watch those three episodes again.
I want to watch new boogiepop at some point, but I'm just hoping it ends so I can just marathon the show, it'd be too confusing to watch once a week, instead of straight through in one go.
Oh I just realize it's the same team as HnK well that explains that.
@Aidan: Unsure too about the trailer but it reminds me more of Houseki, qualitywise, and less of all the other bad CGI shows. I have hope. Same with Vinland. Trailer had some CGI and Thorkell's design feels a bit different but aside from that it was good.
sangatsu
@Kaiser: The selection isn’t out until April. Heck, they haven’t annouced the head jury yet
I should really watch Shirobako one of these days and on the manga end, read Kurozuka as I remember the bit I did read was quite different from the anime (which I loved).
@Mario: I don't know if the film selection for Cannes this year is out yet. Though it'll be a while before I get to see them.
SuperWooper
Noice.
Is it OK to brag here? I’ve just got the acrreditation to Cannes Film Fest this year baby. Will look forward for that one
@Anon: I watched it years ago and thought even though the first half was poor it picked up in the second. Maybe if I rewatched it my thoughts would change.
Majestic prince is really bad man
kemurikusa
Damn, just looked at the teaser of Beastars and I’m hooked. I’m hyped for the show
@Niello: Beastars is a good choice for them yes, as was Houseki no kuni, Majestic prince which they co-made was really underated back when it aired.
niello
I like how Orange Studio seems to have good eyes for manga. And it looks as if they are trying to go for stories that lets them avoid animating normal humans. So, ones that are more compatible with their CG visual. It'd be nice if this lead to some manga adaptation that won't happen otherwise.
I think people get too worked up on Shield Hero. While not a great show, I have found it entertaining. I suppose the underdog aspect also got meta. With that said, I think if instead of the heroine reapplying the slave contract they should have made a contract or something like that, that felt one-sided.
I actually have more confidence in the cgi if its done by the houseki team.
@Aidan: When I talked to amagi about Beastars I don't think I ever heard your views on it. Also from what I recall you haven't read Vinland?
Yep, full CGI for Beastars. I am somewhat half and half on it as the clip isn;t bad but I am a bit too used to the style of the manga.
I dont expect the CGI to be bad. WIT has experience because of AoT now, and the boat/open ocean can profit from it a lot more than character models.

For Beastars, if its the Houseki no Kuni team, I wouldn't worry until we see a PV
Maybe CGI wouldn not be as distracting if characters aren't humans? I mean the Star Fox Zero short was very good looking and it was full CGI.
Full cgi I think for beastars adaptation, although done by the people who did houseki no kuni so there could be exceptions made.
@Lenlo: I didn't expect them to try and cover his post childhood. They will probably stop at the farm arc. There will be cg, I hope it won't be intrusive.
Ey Vinland pv is out! Looks good! I cant wait
Animosh
@Kaiser: I'm pretty sure Yuki's family issues will be addressed later on, this just wasn't the time for it. So far the show has always followed up on the character arcs it has introduced.
Something that feels very different about huge detailed art aswell on the other end more simpler styles, in comparison to alot of the generic moe style we mostly see now.
And while I am on different artstyles, I bloody love Ryoichi ikegami and Suehiro murao also.
Complete different art too, cartoony even.
Years ago I read almost of Yoshihiro's stuff, although I never got around to finishing a drifting life by him, I also read that Mizuki guy manga i mentioned.
I've been wondering about this for a bit, is anyone on here familiar with the Gekiga period/wave of manga from the 50s and 60s to very early 70s? Such as stuff the by Yoshihiro Tatsumi and also Shigeru Mizuki's Onward toward noble death?
@Anon: I was right in there with them waiting to hear the results.
They took the words I was about to say right out of my mouth.
Late to the party, but man this was a good episode, iffy CG runners aside (though I hope that'll be addressed in the BDs). I'm so glad they were able to qualify.
Hmmm I cant wait to watch it
This cast has grown on me. Also while I would appreciate followup on Yuki's family, I actually don't mind if the show didn't, because this series manages to say much by saying little.
I'm glad that even though it showed then in a top ten list, they weren't up the top of it. Its more believable that way. Also who'd of though a race would be so tense?
Animosh
Also happy to see that the twins will get some spotlight next week. Aside from Musa they've had the least development so far, so they can use the attention. I also like that someone's finally raising the question what the point of it all is. If you have no chance of winning, why compete? It's a valid question, and I'm looking forward to hearing Haiji's answer.
Animosh
Haiji's injury was less of an issue than I expected: he even finished as "best of the rest" (excluding the leading group). Looks like it'll keep simmering under the surface for now. The fact that it was highlighted again probably means it is going to play a big role in the story eventually though.
Animosh
Anyhow, you can't always get everything you want, so whatever. It's still a very good adaptation overall, with some of the most impressive animation out there, and with some luck the cuts were just a one time thing and the rest of the season will be consistently well-paced. And if not ... well, the Claw arc is less "deep" anyway, so cuts will be less of an issue there I think.
Animosh
And just to be clear, I also agree that the episode elevated the source material in many ways: the aspect ratio nonsense aside, the episode looked incredible, no question. But my complaint is not with the animation, but with the storytelling, which - although by no means awful - could have been a hell of a lot better.
Animosh
@Anon: I agree the two chapter rule isn't perfect, and when there's a lot of fighting a faster pace is often preferable. So maybe an additional episode would have been too much - again, I don't remember how much was cut exactly. And of course, in the end pacing is a matter of preference. I loved this arc in the manga, and I'm probably more negative about cuts than you guys just because of that.
@animosh Ill always remember this episode and laud it for it was able to accomplish. There are so many things it did to elevate the source material. Everything it covered from the source material was elevated in animation; the only issue was that shit got cut, and it's a bit unfortunate because i think it could have been easily avoided. Like lenlo said: a part of our gripe comes from our manga exp
@animosh as a product of the previous season and episodes leading up to this, but it would have been even better if we got to share the experience mob had in mogami's would. The dread and isolation mob was meant to feel was communicated artfully; but that third element; the experience; that was what was needed to complete the trifecta and cement this episode as THE perfect adaptation.
@animosh influences mob, we are missing one more element that would have completely sealed the deal. By BONES cutting out what they did, they took away from the viewer the EXPERIENCE mob went through. Losing that aspect, watching mob's journey through mogami's illusion, slightly hampers the overall impact his breakdown and his use of his powers against people. Most of the impact is still there
@animosh despite my criticisms, i thought this episode was fucking great. I think the directing captures the dread and haunting oppressiveness mogami's illusions were meant to have on mob quite well. The adaptation communicates well what mob went through and why it broke him. What my criticisms amount to is that while the direction communicates well how mogami's macabre thinking eventually
@Animosh that 2-3 chapters pace is not really a reliable rule, because that standard is completely dependent on how much content is in a particular chapter. The second half of this Mob psycho episode adapted like 3 or 4 chapters without feeling rushed; why? because those chapters the second half of the episode adapted were all action scenes, which when animated, take up less runtime
Animosh
Maybe I've just been spoiled by that other big Bones adaptation, My Hero Academia, which not only has great pacing but even adds high-quality filler to improve on the source material. Compared to that ... this was rather disappointing. But as Lenlo said, the episode did still do a lot of things right, so I didn't hate it or anything. It's just that it could have been much better still.
Animosh
@Anon: maybe that would have been enough (it would certainly have been an improvement). It's been so long since I read the manga that I don't know how much was cut exactly. But in general 2-3 chapters per episode is the pace adaptations should aim for, but these two episodes covered a whopping 8 chapters. That's just too much, especially for an arc where build-up is so important.
I think a longer episode, cut the OP, squeeze out every minute, would be better than a whole nother full episode.

Thing is, I think we are only a bit disappointed because we were manga readers. For anime only, this probably still hit all the right notes. And really, the entire episode is just straight fire animation wise
@Animosh Nah; i don't think giving it 1 more episode would have been the answer, all it would have done is drag things out. What this episode needed to tape into its full potential was to be an extended episode; a 27 min ep that cut both the op and ed. If mediocre shows like re:zero can get 26 min eps commissioned out the wazoo then why can't a great show like mob psycho get that shit?
Animosh
I did still enjoy the episode as a collection of well-animated action set-pieces, but as a story arc just one more episode could have made it so much better imo.
Animosh
To use your example: no, an episode filled with suffering wouldn't have been fun. But now we barely got a glimpse of what Mob went through. The boy went through hell, and he was stuck there for six (!) months. Even so, he decided to forgive Minori, and his positive emotions beat Mogami's negative ones. In the manga that felt like a triumph, here not so much.
Animosh
But as a viewer (and a manga reader who's a fan of this arc), I thought it was somewhat disappointing. Yes, without the cuts the episodes may have been a bit less engaging, but I think that would have been fine all things considered. Build-up episodes are always less fun than the dramatic highlights, but they're necessary to make them land.
Animosh
@Lenlo: I understand why Bones did it this way, and I agree it would have been harder to make each episode engaging, get them to end at good points etc otherwise. It's also very possible they were contracted for a certain number of episodes, and if they want to get to the end of the Claw arc in 12 episodes some short cuts were inevitable.
Theres more, but I need to sleep and save some of it for the post
Both of them sacrificed their bodies for others. Her to make money for the kids, but willingly. Hyakkimaru for his family and clans prosperity, but unwillingly.
I think it would have made a fine cliffhanger, but not as good as this. Because this is a fantastic parallel I am writing about for the Dororo post.
Would that have made for a good cliffhanger
@Lenlo: What would you think if the episode had ended with the shot of dororo's reaction and the scene with the girl and samurai was reserved for the start of next weeks episode?
Also, fun fact, the episode ending? The part involving Hyakkimaru? Anime original.
Great episode
She also covers herself up when Dororo mentions Hyakki can see the color of peoples souls. More foreshadowing. I loved it.
@Lenlo: A yes, re-winding and paying more attention to her expression at the episodes start after finishing the episode and then going back to it I see the foreshadowing.
@Lenlo: Ah what better eyes you have for things than I do =P
@Lenlo: Perhaps yes it did show everything openly but I think it did it in a bleak, grim, non-exploitative, non-minipulative, non -overdramatic way.
@Lenlo: Shows how shitty it was too for women back then too.
@Lenlo: But this is another great example of how gritty this can be and not holding back in terms of the setting.
@Lenlo: Also that we see it through the most innocent characters eyes. I wonder if the manga or old series had that in there.
Yeah. I suspected it from the start, seeing her washing herself in the river, but it was very... blatant. Nothing to the imagination
@Lenlo: I was rather surprised at the frankness of the final scene.
Dororo so sad this week ;_; I love it
@Animosh, I was pretty happy with this weeks Mob really. I understand the pacing concern, but I don't see how they could have adapted it without having a single episode full of just suffering. It works for a webcomic, but not for a weekly animation I dont think. I plan on rewatching it in a bit and will see if my feelings change, but I enjoyed it. Still mulling it over narratively though
@Firechick, New Anime reviews are automatically added to the review index on the header.
@Animosh: The choice to draw the characters as animals makes for something different to, with the character designs.
Animosh
@Kaiser: that sounds pretty great! I'll be looking forward to the anime then. :)
I liked Dororo this week, that him getting his hearing back would actually be initially something he'd have to get used to.
@Animosh: I actually only very recently saw zootopia.
@Animosh: I initially mistook beastars as being a slice of life school series that had bits of comedy and that the animal thing would be just a gimmick. Ended up getting a gritty drama with well realized characters and world building and an addictive pace.
Animosh
The designs weren't as good as they could have been either (from the rather unimaginative ghost designs and sparkly eyes Mob to the dull background environment), and the action was a bit hard to follow at times (which wasn't the case in the manga). It was my favorite manga arc back when I read it, but it certainly won't be my favorite arc from the anime.
Animosh
Still not a fan of how Bones adapted this arc. The pacing was way too fast again, and the emotional climaxes didn't really land for me as a result. And although the animation was excellent as expected, I really didn't like the change in aspect ratio. The intention was probably to make the experience more cinematic, but the main result was that everything looked smaller, and therefore less intense.
Animosh
That's the manga series you and Amagi were talking about a while ago, right? Is it good? The plot description reminds me a bit of Zootopia.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai – 06

The treasurer of the student council, Ishigami Yuu, finally got a proper introduction this week. I’d say this episode was his time to shine, but it’s actually the opposite – he’s so preoccupied with Kaguya’s apparent hatred of him (as well as his own social faux pas) that it was actually his time to mope. […]

Paranoia Agent – 4 [A Man’s Path] – Throwback Thursday

This week, once again, Paranoia Agent takes another interesting turn. This time we follow the cop who caught Shounen Bat, see a bit into organized crime and watch a man fall apart at the seams. Lets go! So in general, while this episode was interesting and explored some more aspects of society, I wasn’t big […]

Mid-Season Review of Kakegurui××

For all of you who are disappointed that we didn’t cover the sequel to the show that even Elon Musk watches, I felt that this season of Kakegurui would benefit more from an periodic overview rather than following it week from week. Kakegurui was never about the mechanics nor tense stakes as it relies on […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 17 [Searching for the Answer]

Welcome to the feel good relaxation week of Kaze Fui! This time the Twins confront Haiji, they see the track and Sakaki continues to be a dick. Lets jump in! Starting off, this episode was a very subdued one. Similar to Mob, Kaze Fui slowed down this week. Giving the characters room to breathe again […]

Mob Psycho 100 S2 – 6 [Poor, Lonely, Whitey]

Welcome to a very poignant episode of Mob Psycho 100. This week Mob shows us his growth, Reigen his lack-there-of and things start to fall apart. Lets jump in! Starting off, almost anything would look inferior when compared to last week. Almost as if knowing this, Mob Psycho decided to be very light on animation […]

Winter 2019 Summary – Week 4-5

We are reaching towards midway of this season where shows start to settle down and we have a firm ideas of which shows we wanna follow till the end. As for me, I decided to skip both Asuka and Domestic Girlfriend for now. I’m still mildly curious about then, but in the season where I […]

Dororo – 6 [The Story of the Moriko Song, Part 2]

Hello and welcome to Dororo, your weekly dose of suffering for the season. This time Hyakkimaru get’s revenge, Mio proves herself Best Girl and Tahomaru gets some development. Lets dive in! Starting off, this episode looked fantastic. Dororo is often very subdued with its animation. Either reducing details or going slow. This week however proved, […]

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai – 04/05 [Elite Stronghold/ The Splendid Aleshma]

It has been fun over the last two weeks of Kotobuki, where we get to learn more about two members of the squad and some more fun times with them fighting against air pirates. One thing first, I still greatly enjoy the tongue-in-cheek conversations Kotobuki employs. It’s fast-paced, it’s irrelevance, it’s silly but Kotobuki is […]

Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) – 06-07 [VS The Imaginator 3-4]

Boogiepop thickens its narrative considerably this past 2 weeks. Instead of peeling the skins to its already complex narrative, it feels as if Boogiepop adds more layers to it, each layer matters differently to the big picture. While I feel the first arc Boogiepop and Others suffers from rushing too much (it scraps many side […]

Planetes Anime Review – 89/100

If there is one thing I have lost watching seasonal anime, it is patience. Every week I expect something to happen, some kind of payoff, to make watching that week worth it. Luckily, Planetes as brought that back to me. Its depth of writing, characters, and general structure belay an anime of a different age. […]

Goblin Slayer Anime Review – 60/100

The controversial nature of this shows opening episode may have many turning away from it due to believing it’s nothing but shock value but that truly isn’t what Goblin Slayer is. I will say that the manga may hold some truth to that statement but thanks to some tasteful censoring(Yes, sometimes censoring can be a […]

Zombieland Saga Anime Review – 60/100

Zombieland Saga was a show that came out of the gate guns blazing, no one expected it nor did anyone predict it but it left a strong impression when it first aired it’s starting episodes. Originally considered to be another zombie apocalypse anime, it overthrew expectations by turning out to be a zombie idol anime. […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 87/100

Let it be known that I’ve never been a fan of Trigger. For me, they’re one of the most style-with-no-substance studio on Earth with a tendency for god-awful fanservice, and total nonsense in terms of story and characters. Yet GRIDMAN completely caught me off guard in the first two episodes, and from there, there was […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 86/100

If anyone has been familiar with the first season of Thunderbolt Fantasy, you’d find yourself a lot to enjoy in this second installment. Served as a sequel, but not a direct continuation to the first, viewers don’t need the knowledge of the original in order to enjoy this ride. Thunderbolt 2 carries many trademarks that […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara (2018 Fall) Anime Review – 73/100

In the last few years, it’s great to see P.A Works has slowly created their own studio identity, putting more original works with consistent production values. Just in 2018, they produced 4 shows (quite a good number if you ask me), 3 of them were original: Maquia, Sirius the Jaeger and Irozuku. As I said, […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Anime Review – 82/100

In the wake of many a school based light novel show this may be the small bits of fresh air was can savor out of this overdone setting. Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl(Or by its japanese title above) is a series not about rascals or bunny girls but instead about contextualising common high […]

Banana Fish Anime Review – 72/100

Some days, I wonder what it is with America and anime about organized crime. Baccano!, 91 Days, Blood Blockade Battlefront, all set in America, all involving criminal underworlds. Today, I get to add another to that list in the form of Banana Fish. Much more grounded than the others, it’s story dates all the way […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 73/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]