Posted by Lenlo on 4 December 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Inuyashiki

Hello and welcome to another week of Inuyashiki. We are approaching the end, with only 3 episodes left. The end-game has been revealed, Hiro returns to his roots and Inuyashiki gets found out by someone close to him. Lets jump in!

To start off, Inuyashiki tipped its hand this week as to the ultimate ending. A news report mentioned a 50 km wide meteor hurtling towards the planet. This is something far beyond any human technology to stop, but luckily we have two alien cyborgs to save the day. The only real question is which of the two is going to inevitably sacrifice themselves to stop it. On one hand we have Inuyashiki, the old man dedicated to helping people. Its completely in his character to save people, yet he has much more to lose than Hiro. On the other hand, Hiro sacrificing himself would complete the “redemption” arc/theme Inuyashiki seems to be going for. I am not sure which I would prefer, or how both of them sacrificing themselves would fit in. Regardless, the general ending is now obvious, we need only wait and see how it’s done.

Now we couldn’t talk about this episode without mentioning Hiro. Unlike the last two episodes, this one splits its time between both of our leads, yet our time with Hiro is the most eventful. Picking up from last episode, we catch Hiro in the middle of a police raid. Somehow, after supposedly being shot numerous times, both Shiro and the Grandmother are alive. It can be assumed that Hiro healed them, but I feel it could have been portrayed better. Back to the police raid, I am disappointed in the police. At this point they have seen Hiro survive bullets, fly away and shoot without a gun. They should have innovated or tried something different. The idea of a night police raid, shoot first ask questions later was good, but when will they acknowledge that Hiro just isn’t human?

In response to their night raid, Hiro also decides to go on the offensive. All in all, this was a pretty good sequence. We get sociopathic Hiro back, well done action and the promise of more to come. In particular I loved how Hiro flew around when hit by high powered rifles. Flying to the side, sliding on the ground as shot by a hail of bullets. Hiro also running around with his finger guns, as his clothes ripped to pieces. It was all very good. We also get a hint that their bodies, or at least that super weapon Hiro used, runs on water. Inuyashiki drank a large amount in the first episode and Hiro is unconscious here until he drinks some rain water. Its nice to see a limitation on them and I am curious how it will be used in the future, since its being hinted at.

For Inuyashiki, he had a far less eventful but still important episode. We see him continue to practice with his abilities, learning to control cars, and his continued healing antics.  Most of all though, we see his Daughter, Mari, discover him. Its nice to see more of Inuyashiki’s family, to see them finally do something. She even smack talks Eiichiro Oda’s son, yes that who that was. Whats interesting in this though is that Mari thinks that Inuyashiki is actually responsible for Hiro’s twitter act, and will no doubt spread it. Its sad to think that even the small good Hiro tried to do will be credited to someone else. Yet it’s nice to know that Inuyashiki’s acts of good will get out there. Hopefully with this and Hiro going full villain, Inuyashiki will step up and go full hero.

All in all, it was a better episode than the last. The animation was good in some places, lackluster in other. The environments stood out for a city-scape and the plot advanced. I am disappointed that the story is using a meteor as its final act rather than a physical battle of wills between our two leads, but with the sympathy angle used on Hiro I suspected he would end a martyr. The only thing left to do is see how and how quickly Inuyashiki folds this out. With only 3 episodes left, there is only so much they can cover. It worries me.

Regardless, I will see you next time for the beginning of the end of Inuyashiki!

1. Vonter says:

I think this episode used better a comedic gag than the Magus Bride. When Mari was trying to get why his dad was with one of his classmates. And I think that joke worked mainly because she keep it to herself.

The police station assault reminds me of the first Terminator movie. Which makes me think this series could technically work as a live action movie. I mean aside from the flying bits we’ve seen these type of things on live action movies using practical effects.

Lastly I would have liked if the anime could have been able to freeze certain frames of the manga, since I think some compositions looked really cool and it being more of a moment in the anime feels a bit disappointing. Despite the ugliness of the Berserk anime I did like when it dramatized some scenes of the manga.

• Lenlo says:

Yes, the imaginary scenes of Ando and Inuyashiki were amusing without breaking the scene.

I also recommend you don’t get me started on Berserk. I hate the fact that the anime exists with every fiber of my being.

2. MarigoldRan says:

I noticed that your blog post is different from the blog post written by other bloggers. You do not use the same words.

Consequently, how do you know that you’re blogging about the same show as they are?

• Lenlo says:

I have a complex about liking bigger words than I probably need. Also, some of the others are not natural english speakers. I am.

• MarigoldRan says:

Oooo. Social attack. Your brain just made up some shi- in response to the belief that a stranger is attacking you. You respond as such because you thought such tactics worked in the past.

Interesting. By the way, you’re using a double standard. The words I’m using here are no more complex than the ones you usually use. I’m just combining it in different ways.

• Lenlo says:

Im not… attacking anyone? It was meant as self depreciating humor and a jest at my colleagues expense?

• MarigoldRan says:

Go to Rotten Tomatoes and read a movie review on The Matrix or whatever other movie you like. Then read a second review of that movie. Then read a third review of the “same” movie. Etc. etc.

What might you notice about all the reviews? None of the reviews are exactly the same. So, then, why do we assume each reviewer saw the “same” movie but “interpreted” the movie differently? Given the evidence, can’t I just go ahead and say each person saw a different movie?

• MarigoldRan says:

I’m literally writing a book on this. Since you’re a decent writer, I would like your opinion on this idea.

• MarigoldRan says:

Perhaps I haven’t been clear. So let me clarify.

No one responds to shi- the same way. So why do we assume they’re responding to the same shi-?

Look at the comments here. No one wrote the “same” comment but everyone assumes they’ve watched the same show. Why?

I’m not criticizing what you wrote about Inuyashiki. I’m just curious: is ANYONE writing about the “same” Inuyashiki as anyone else?

• MarigoldRan says:

Personally, I think your writing is pretty good. I understand it’s just “one author’s” viewpoint.

What I’m curious about is this: if EVERY post is “just some person’s” viewpoint then why do we need to assume there exists a single “same” show that everyone watched?

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

So basically you wish to inquire about the cognitive dissonance of individual consensus and how interpretation effects the media we consume to digest it into categories of congestive quality terms such as good, great or terrible. Thus if the “same” show can be categorized drastically different by alternative people then is it possible that everyone is not watching the exact same show. That through another perception a show can be completely different?

So the real question is if people are truly watching the same show?
          And the answer is yes. Yes they are. Don’t be a dumbass.

• MarigoldRan says:

And the blogger accuses me of using long words. Sigh.

People launch personal attacks because they think it worked in the past. I really don’t give shi- what you think about me meaning that I don’t even particularly care to waste my time insulting you, personally. My point is simple:

No two people will ever write the same shi- about a TV show. So why do people assume they watched the same show? There’s no evidence of it. It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Shit. Just write shit. Removing the final letter doesn’t somehow make it no longer uncouth.

Anyway I used those words on purpose, just to give you a reflection of yourself. Pretentious isn’t it? Look my friend, before writing any books you might want to do an awful lot of research as you will come to find that anything you thought up on your own has been thought up and debated till the end of time. In this case your inquiry falls apart because you claim that two people cannot prove they watched the same thing. But they can, they can recount what happened in the episode. While opinions may differ, the actual content that they watched is the same. So there is nothing to prove, because it’s obvious.

• MarigoldRan says:

But that’s proof that two people DIDN’T watch the same show.

Because when two people argue, they never use the same words to argue about anything. Two people can write a summary of an event, and there are similarities in the summary.

But similar isn’t SAME.

More personal attacks. Whatever. I really don’t give a shi- about what you think about me. My point remains: you think we’re having the same argument even though from the evidence of our words we’re obviously not.

• MarigoldRan says:

When people write shi- about other people, they’re really not writing about that person.

What they’re actually writing about is a memory construction of the other person.

For example, you don’t know who the f- I am. So when you write shi- about me, what you’re doing is you’re writing shi- about a memory construction made by YOUR OWN BRAIN cobbled together from bits an pieces of other constructions you made in your past.

3. Strength says:

50km asteroid is massive. But the idea of such unknown asteroid existing and even on a collision course with Earth nowadays is virtually impossible, unless we are talking about a comet. The object in Inuyashiki was reported to be fast, which implies it is indeed a comet.

Some correct terminology for the writer:
    – Meteor is the “shooting star” phenomenon – asteroid burning in the atmosphere.
    – Meteorite is the remains of the actual object that has fallen on Earth.
    – Asteroid is the original object in the space.
    – Meteoroid is a small asteroid.
    – Comet is an ‘asteroid’ that contains ice and comes from the edge of solar system, often has a visible tail because the Sun sublimates it when nearby and is very dangerous because far away regions are not mapped and worse – it is incredibly fast due to its high orbit eccentricity (which means its coming directly at us unlike asteroids which have mostly the same orbit as planets, hence very small speed relative to us).

So comets are many, are far away, are unknown, go right at us (harder to detect) are fast and do muuuch more damage! The ultimate life-killer.

PS: The largest asteroid to fly ‘near’ Earth ever observed has flied by just 2 months ago and boasted size of 4 kilometers!

• Lenlo says:

I was not aware of the distinctions! I was merely running the the translation given to me.

Interesting that speed is a qualifier for what name something gets.

• Strength says:

Not many people know the distinction, but it interesting so I always provide when I see it getting mixed up.

Ah no it isn’t, it is merely a consequence of their orbit that is (usually) not circle but (very prolonged) ellipse, so they accelerate (i.e. fall) from the end of solar system to here. Comets truly are structurally different from asteroids.

PS: HorribleSubs (that I’ve seen) used the word asteroid for the news scene. The Japanese word (wakusei) tells me nothing as far as technical terminology is concerned.

4. Strength says:

The asteroid development is a large cop out.

5. MarigoldRan says:

“The messages anyone sends will never be the same as what people hear.”

Right?

If so, then why assume anyone will ever watch the “same” show? Maybe everyone is watching a different show and just sort of assumes that everyone else is doing the same.

But yeah, the asteroid development is a large cop out. Ah well.

6. KTravlos says:

Lenlo thank you for the reviews.

I don't know why, but I thought you were talking about Tomorrowland. That Disney movie that bombed and everyone seemed very lukewarm about. I suppose because I don't know exactly what was the problem with it, didn't see much discussion about it.
Animosh
@SuperMario: I think I've seen World of Tomorrow, but not 100% sure. There's apparently a second part out though, and I definitely haven't seen that!
Animosh
And Umfeld (https://vimeo.com/umfeld) is also worth mentioning. It kind of consists of shorts, it's technically animated (at least in part: it mixes real footage and CGI I think?), and it's definitely weird. It's a very polarizing work though. I love it, but it wouldn't surprise me if most people here hate it.
Animosh
Some other things that came to mind: Tim Burton's "Vincent" (it's stop-motion, but whatever), Loom (https://vimeo.com/24069938) and E-Baby (https://vimeo.com/25435555). And the stop-motion shorts by Lee Hardcastle are pretty fun, if you're in the mood for some needlessly disgusting horror.
@Mario: I enjoyed embrace of the serpent which has the same director as Birds of passage so I'll keep an eye out for it.
@Kaiser: I'm going to see Roma and Birds of Passage this weekend. Really excited for both
As for the she-ra thing well, as I've gotten older I probably have avoided kids stuff more.
I don't want to see tokenism being seen as acceptance when it isn't, it feels that people are putting forth the idea that something is only being/can be accepted because its being portrayed in a tokenistic way.
Its fine, obviously to have strong female characters, Ripley in Alien, Sarah Conner in Terminator, awesome....Rey in star wars....no.
I think too often shows and films, American ones today, are tokenistic or clicheed with inserting issues, merely just throwing them in or tacking them on for the sake of ticking boxes rather than any earnesty or doing anything.
@SuperMario - I do. Yet at the same time it was a bit outside of my comfort zone, watching something like this considering that (let's be honest) msot shows are men oriented. Even the ones with great female characters. This one despite having tomboyish girls is mainly about these girls with male characters having supporting roles. I suppose that's were the uneasiness lies in my case.
@Mario: Just got done watching both earlier, his dark humour jives well with me and I liked the concept.
@Kaiser @Animosh: if you haven't seen World of Tomorrow plsssss check it out. I can't recommend it highly enough
@Vonter: Maybe it's a good things that shows for general audiences like this have queer context. Don't you think?
Also because I'm a bit immature, this show is kinda gay. There's a lot of ship baiting moments, one same sex couple in the last episode and rainbows, pastel colors, emasculated male characters and some female crossdressing.
The weakest aspect is that several secondary characters get lost in the shuffle. Kinda like Big Hero 6 in which the team had personalities but just didn't had the time to develop in any meaningful way. Still both the main cast and villains were good and like I say the protagonist and antagonist had strong arcs for a first season.
So I now finished watching She Ra, and it got even better as it was building towards the season's end. Thes strongest aspect is the rivalry between Adora and Catra, the chemistry is very strong, kinda like Optimus and Megatron or Xavier and Magneto. In which both parts seem equally capable and to have mind games with the other.
Oh hey cool, rain town is done by the Penguin hhighway anime movie guy.
It looks like I haven't seen Don Hertzfedlts World of tomorrow films.
Also Prince Achmed and How Wang-Fo Was Saved.
Ah. yes, thanks animosh, I had a look at Rain town there, I like the style it was done in, it achieves the emotions its trying to convey well without needing dialogue, piano score actually helps rather than hinders.
Glassy ocean, that was another short I watched lately.
Oh inka isha is country doctor.
I know Mario has seen this style on animation, but anyone else see any oil on glass animation?
I actually prefer robot carnival to genius party but liked both.
Zepo, The Pride of Strathmoor were recent animated shorts I watched.
Recently I watched two shorts, death and the mother and pleasures of war.
I'd say any eastern european short films would be worth anyones time.
I'm not familiar with rain town or Inaka Isha .
Kaiser: Have you seen Inaka Isha from Kafka?
Animosh
In the meanwhile, though, I'd also be very interested in recommendations! The shorts I mentioned are among my favorite animated works, so if you know anything similar, please let me know. :)
Animosh
For western animation I really like the Don Hertzfeldt shorts. And there was this short called "Rain Town" that was really impressively animated. I'm sure there were others, but my long-term memory is pretty lousy. If something else comes to mind I'll let you know.
Animosh
I'm pretty sure you're already going to be familiar with all of my favorites, but here you go: Morimoto's shorts are all fantastic (Dimension Bomb, Beyond, Noiseman Sound Insect, etc), and two others that come to mind are Cat Soup and Kigeki (or Comedy) by Nakazawa. There are also some great collections out there (like the Genius Party ones), but again, you've probably seen those already.
If anyone has any suggestions for weird short animations, I'm looking for excuses to watch some more and I'm in the mood for them.
@Masky: Mario's youtube link had cgi models of rem and ram in the video.
I'm confused when was Rem even mentioned
I only ever watched he-man and stuff related to it in passing when I was younger, Conan was more my thing back then.
For so long I'd always referred to she-ra as she-man.
@Mario, What is this heresy!
....
....Rems always cute.
Hilda is fine, though is very laidback kinda like a young reader's novel. It has its moments but its fantasy with slice-of-life coming of age.
@SuperMario Yeah I know, She Ra is the twin sister of He Man. But strangely it seems Dreamworks may not have the right to those characters. It was a marketing idea trying to bring more girls to that universe but like most girls show from the time it had a very flat depiction of what little girls want to see.
Sorry Aidan, I know it's blasphemy but I have to post here. Enjoy the OP song with the twins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MUjISNm0U&index=4&list=PLU56jBSlcHw8-ol9Hi4lJ0GR0tU6EOf2a
I'll probably check out Hilda. Heard a lot of hypes about that show
@Vonter: I've heard of She-Ra, she's the female counterpart (well, sister) of He-Man (the most powerful man in the universe and the secret identity of Prince Adam). Sounds silly but I'm not even kidding
All in all, despite not being a big thing, I think is an enjoyable recommendation. My only nitpick is that it maybe too light hearted for some kinda like above My Little Pony but below something Voltron. Also despite being less childish than the original is still kinda of girly with lots of pastel colors although it balances it a bit having girls being more tomboyish in different degrees.
Like with Voltron it amuses me seeing anime tropes being played through western lens. Since I'm a bit hesitant to say that could this count as a harem series despite not being male gaze moments? Also having the most sensible hotspring episode I've seen.
In this one this She Ra has pathos. A bit like Korra there's doubt in her role and also a complicated relationship with her rival. I do like the role reversal in the knight's tale this clearly is, in that most roles that would be played by men are played by women in this story. Matriarchy, displacement of both femminine beauty but also empowerment.
So I've watched some of the new She Ra from Netflix. So far I'm in, it's not deep but it's quite charismatic. I do like there's more pathos in regards to these characters which pretty much were confined to their archetype to an extreme like the original Power Rangers.
It manages to make watching something like running engaging, when I'd otherwise probably not watch the sport. Also, last week the show ended up popping into my head when I was sitting around doing pretty much nothing and made me think "Ok fuck it, not sitting around doing nothing, going to go out for a run around the block"
I also agree, characters losing in sports is important. They can't start at the top, it makes the series lose meaning
I quite enjoyed Kaze Fui this week. I think your correct that the one who got the reality check was Kurahara, who thought he was the only one able to actually make it. I also thing that he has a competitive streak a mile wide, and might be a little afraid of failure. Doesnt think the team can make it, so why bother
Think I wasn't i the mood for honda-san this week even though I laughed.
Y'know I like it when sports series actually show the characters you know...actually lose.
Huh, interesting in this episode of Kaze ga that it's Kakeru who got a reality check during the track meet since he was beaten by two other runners. I think we're due for an episode soon where he has to confront his past demons instead of fleeing from them.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Aging in fiction, I think has more to do with the story than the characters. I mean the jokes about Ash Ketchum, Detective Conan, Archie. The Flinstones tried to make different stories by aging Pebbles and Bam Bam. Or Batman having two Robins graduating into their own heroes. But in the end dynamics change, hence why most cartoons don't age the characters.
Which is why when aging does occur in anime/manga, such as in vinland saga or nanoha for example, its appreciated.
And of course, animated characters often don't age much.
I can remember enjoying the simpsons movie back when I watched it, but thinking about it it really was just an extended episode. Really the show peaked with the who shot Mr Burns episode. Catching bits of recent episodes and seeing them use modern stuff while they never age seems weird too.
I do think series are allowed to move forward though, I am kinda interested in the Pkmn movie for example. But certain shows should just end, Simpsons for example was a parody of the 90s, it just can't work in a more modern setting IMO.
I stopped with the Simpsons when Maude was killed/died, it was just a step in the wrong direction they should have never done and it killed the series for me. I disliked it before already though, I think I noticed the series getting worse since season..9? Or 10, not sure anymore.
Anime for Dorohedoro announced.
Therefore ruining the fanservice fun for everybody.
My favourite beach episodes are ones where it rains and they end up not being able to go.
After that it was just the film for me.
Actually, regarding the simpsons, the episode I stopped on was sometime in the early 2000s, Homer was stuck on some island resort or something.
I suppose it was just as much a case of falling out of watching/playing too and then there being so many episodes/games catchup was impossible. I probably should read the manga someday.
Anonymous3081957
@Kaiser-Eoghan -Kinda like Sponge Bob, Power Rangers or The Simpsons, I can't blame those who move forward, It's imposible for a show to go that long without losing steam. I did check the Sun and Moon first season and while I think the personality and energy is better it doesn't exactly push the concept forward. Still somehow Pokemon is still a phenomenon.
@Vonter: Very strange hearing a Pikachu talk with Ryan Reynolds voice. But my days of pokemon are behind me.
KyokoHyuga
?????
KyokoHyuga
who likes pokemon here
@Amagi: I think the person who made the sub for Maquia did a pretty neat job. Not perfect but the translation flows well
We've seen realistic Pokémon fanart, but how does a movie looks when it attempts it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CKgQFo5U8
How are the subs for Maquia? I only heard anons complain about it.
*dealing with
Though you should really torrent it.
There is 1080p stream on kiss anime, if you hate deal with the ads on that site the 4up stream on anilinkz has the best quality of the available links
Where did you see Maquia online? I still need to watch it. PM it to me on discord maybe? Pretty please? <3
One fact that not many people know is that Penguin Highway is penned by Tomihiko Morimi. It indeed has many Morimi's signature inputs
This year, I'm doing well with catching up anime films (kudos for Australian's Madman who always license these titles very quickly). So far, I've watched Mirai, Maquia, Penguin Highway, Let Me Eat Your Pancreas and My Hero Academia the Movie
So I watched two anime movies this last week, Penguin Highway in theatre and Maquia online. Both of them are pretty solid in general, especially Penguin that has magical realism elements and some great chemistry. Whereas Mari Okada's writting still rubs me in the wrong way sometimes
D: He did, back in August actually apparently
@Lenlo: I heard Dino's voice actor died.
If we all took Goblin slayers attitude to trolls, then we would more easily ignore the trolls =P
Big twist in the golden kamuy manga.
Animosh
@SuperMario: remember that in the voice drama Rikka mentioned talking to Yuuta in their classroom during the ball game. Pretty sure it's about that.
@Animosh: i just watched the episode and noticed the lyrics as well. "The Promise" seems vague at the moment. Could be between Yuuta and whoever fits but I agree the "save someone from boredom" is about Akane
Animosh
You learn something every day. ;) Honestly though, I actually skipped the opening, so I hadn't even noticed that it had been translated until others pointed it out. And most of the time the lyrics are just cheesy one-liners, so I usually don't pay much attention to them either. But once in a while there's some nice hints hidden in there...
Y'know I never really ever paid attention to the lyrics in anime openings, I'd never thought to.
Animosh
The Gridman OP has been translated for the first time, and there's some pretty interesting reveals in there: it mentions a "promise" made in a classroom (so now we know how Yuuta and Rikka bonded in the past - glad it wasn't a simple confession), and talks of "rescuing" someone (presumably Akane) from boredom. So I guess she'll join the good guys eventually?
1200 words. I need to stop writing so much.
I haven't seen last weeks episode of Irozuku or this weeks =< I'm waiting now for a bit to see if the series paysoff.
Animosh
Goddamn those magic segments in Irozuku were stunning! It's a shame its humdrum drama can't live up to its visual beauty, but I'll take it.
I think Ash's design is based a bit on River phoneix.
Sorry Eiji but your Ash is in another castle.
@CoolerAnon: I was about to say that. Kidnapping gets used alot in shojo.
Anonymous3072040
Yeah Ash is basically Princess Peach
@Anon: I share your concerns, I don't know what studio is doing it. Some people want it to be mappa, some don't want it to be polygon pictures to adapt it. Its and long and violent manga, with some very funny at times dark humour, it could end up rushed and/or censored.
Anonymous3072021
As much as I love Dorohedoro I'm unsure if I should be happy or worried at it getting an adaptation, it isn't exactly the kind of story I imagine being easy to adapt well.
Yeah, I am touching on that in my writeup as we speak. The compressed story is causing Ash to be captured every other week.
Animosh
I agree Banana Fish was great this week though! My only gripe is that I'm getting sick and tired of seeing Ash get kidnapped again and again. He just escaped a couple of episodes ago! And he's just a lot more fun to watch when he's out there doing stuff.
Animosh
In a way the fights actually feel more realistic to me than those in Banana Fish. Sure, they're fantastical, bizarre even, but its battle system has a clear internal logic, and generally no power is infallible (each has its limitations). In Banana Fish the fights are rather poorly thought out by comparison. Their purpose is more to make Ash look cool than to give him realistic hurdles to overcome.
Animosh
@Kaiser: what sets Jojo apart from other battle shounen for me is how ridiculously creative its fights can get. Part 2 already shows some signs of this, but the introduction of the Stand system in Part 3 pushes it to another level, and in Part 4 the fights are consistently awesome. There are no simple beam struggles here: every fight is a battle of wits, between people with wildly different powers
Niel
Vinland Saga anime, and Now Dorohedoro just got announced. i'm really liking this trend.
Lots to writeup on Banana Fish this week.
Just finished it, I really like Blanca.
Because Jackie Chan and his stunt crew are some of the best in the world. There is a reason he has to insure his guys from his own pocket. No agency will take them
I have no idea how the hell Jackie Chan is still alive.
Action works best for me when I really feel that theres danger involved. Thats why when some actors do their own stunts, you can fear for the actors life, and also the character.
And thats why I'm a big fan of all that Chinese martial arts stuff from the 60s and 70s, that really expertly crafted chereography.
As for action, I like good choreography more than any super powers. Its why Cowboy Bebop, Seirei no Moribito, Sword of the Stranger and some Naruto fights are fantastic.
Im about to watch this weeks episode, so this chat makes me hopeful. I agree Ash and Eiji are the backbone of the series, and yeah me and Kaiser both agreed that the Gang war aspect was pretty weak, though I thought the finish with Arthur wasnt half bad
And I think Banana fish has a great grit to it for this reason.
I'm even more thankful to Banana fish too for that it keeps the action within the bounds of out of fantasy.
I've always been kind of a guns and swords and kungfu gut.
Black lagoons great example of anime action I can get behind.
I always found weapon combat and fist/kicking combat more raw and real,tangible than beamspam.
But yeah if you're not a fan supernatural power fantasy action shounens, then maybe not your cup of tea, and that's totally cool
Oh also if I'm recommending a fight from part 4, I'd say check out Highway Star
Kira is a pretty cool villain though; he's always underpowered compared to the main heroes, but manages to somehow get out of the situation with luck or smarts; if nothing else, I'd recommend watching some Youtube clips
*Turn off. lol.
Its more than, even when I was younger supernatural power fantasy action shounen never appealed to me.
Admittedly JoJo always has bad with exposition though, and always will be just due to the style, so that can definitely be a turn on for some people
If you like slice of life with hijinks and a murder mystery combined with cool battles, you'll like part 4
Yeah I can see why you might not like part 1 & 2, they were made in the 80s; I'd recommend part 4 and part 5 (ongoing rn) tbh, I feel like those are better for a modern viewing experience
I used to think that BF's greatest strength was the plot; know I realize it's really about Ash & Eiji's connection first and foremost: as good as the plot can be, Ash & Eiji's relationship is absolutely the backbone.
@Anon: Also that scene where Ash is thinking to himself, looking over Eiji.
Nah, I pretty much gave up on jojo midway through part 2.
Also, anybody notice Blanca's VA is Kira (from Diamond is Unbreakable)? What a wonderful duwang!
@Niello: The producer guy Miyano is voicing, much like the show is irritating because the show has this "look at me look at me" feel to it, it just comes off as desperate to me and this is just going by the one episode I watched and hated.
What's that damn piano song that plays when Ash and Eiji are talking about Japan. It's too good. For some reason, it's really magical
@Anon: I was the one who said that.
@Niello: You don't need to see steins; gate zero, myself and lenlo discussed it to death as it was airing, its all over the place. I like the original too but after a while of the first half being fun, I just wanted it to start.
Phew, great episode of BF; whoever said the gang war stuff was the weakest point was right. this stuff is getting fantastic again.
Niello
Also I agree, Zombieland first episode was amazing, second episode is still rather great, and then the other episodes have just been meh.
Niello
In Zombieland it doesn't help that the character he's voicing with that tone is an asshole, which isn't a good combination because it's making him more annoying by the episode.
Niello
Steins;Gate is pretty good, but I don't think I like it nearly as much as most people do (I gave it a 7/10). I also haven't bothered with Steins;Gate 0. And although I didn't mind Myano in Steins;Gate, I didn't particularly like his voice there either.
I love the sombreness of Blanca's character. Poor Ash, so broken in this episode.
Yeah after episode 2 it's been a downgrade. Zombieland is still alright to watch but it really has become what it parodied.
Zombieland sadly has winded down. I mean it was expected but still I was hoping some more creative attempts to use in the typical genre. It'll have been better if they had waken up more slowly in order to flesh the archetypes a bit more. It still has charismatic moments though.
Really Niello? See, I like it because it's the voice we never got in Steins;Gate 0. Its Okabe's Kyouma voice, and I have a nostalgic love for it
Wasn't gyary isekai another one that existed?
Niello
I hate Miyano voice in Zombieland Saga and find him annoying tbh.
I am getting sick of self aware humour though. I see this show as something that was fun to make (such as Miyano seems to be feeling based on performances) but not fun for me to watch and that kind of extends to the manager who while I agree would be the best part of the show, I stopped finding funny after the joke was done.
For me, the main selling point of Zombieland Saga was always Miyano. I love this mans crazy voice.

And in regards to Isekai, discounting this most recent one, SAO actually is pretty good this season so far. Kirito is still bland, but its taking things a lot slower and actually building the world. Its taking its time with 52 episodes
By the sound of it, if some who liked the first episodes don't care for the ones beyond those two episode, then I'm glad I stopped watching.
I did flick through episode 2 but the rap battle thing was particularly awful.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 06-07 [A Poisoner’s Pride/ Bewitching Whispers]

My apologies that I missed a post last week, it’s not due to the lack of interest of Thunderbolt given the show is as exciting as ever, but more about my hectic life. These past two episodes have many game-changing events, and many Gui Niao’s wittiest lines and expressions to boost. The moment the Vapewiz […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 7 [Bear Your Fangs at the Summit]

Welcome one and all! This week in Kaze Fui we meet the final boss, Kurahara gets a reality check and our team runs their first track meet! Lets jump in! To start off, I have to say I loved the feel of Kaze Fui this week. Vague, I know, but hear me out. Kaze Fui […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 6 [The Man with a Secret Power/Our Fair-Day War]

Welcome fellow book lovers, to another dip into Honda-San! This week was a bit dull as we learn about the difficulties of stocking, but the second half manages to pick it back up. Lets jump in! So overall this week of Honda-San was pretty disappointing for me. Like usual it had some good gags in […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 06 [Contact]

“They shouldn’t making episodes without kaiju in them “ It’s very cheeky of GRIDMAN to meta-comment on this episode, as indeed there isn’t any big fight between Gridman and kaiju monsters this week. We still get an introduction of new kaiju, however, and the fight in human forms. That’s the thing about GRIDMAN, it’s a […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 06 [Golden Fish]

Irozuku takes us to episode 6 for something significant happen, but even then it’s decidedly under-dramatic. This week, we have a whole lot more of magical moments that certainly are the feast to the eyes, and develop many underlying themes of its narrative. The central of the conflict this week is Hitomi and Aoi, as […]

Zombieland Saga – 04-06[Warming Dead SAGA/The Nice Bird SAGA in Your Heart/Because It’s Sentimental SAGA]

Forgive me for my lack of coverage on this series but you may have guessed that my enthusiasm for it has died down considerably. I always felt that Zombieland Saga was in danger of losing what made it great in its first two episodes and sadly that has come to pass. This show has ultimately […]

Banana Fish – 18 [Islands in the Stream]

Ah Banana Fish, back in form this week. Ash and Eiji act like a married couple, Blanca show’s everyone whose boss and Yut continues to have no idea what’s going on. Lets jump in! On a general note Banana Fish is really picking back up. The Gang War/Hospital were easily the weakest part of the […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai – 05-06[All the lies I have for you/This world you chose]

Thus we hit the end of another arc and admit it wasn’t a particularly interesting one due to not much being at stake. The characters helped keep it from getting boring but the main conflict was obvious from the start and the solution even more so. So to get things in perspective, Koga and Sakato […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 6 [The Emperor’s New Clothes]

Hello and welcome to another, if slower than normal, week of Kaze Fui! This time we have friendship, training and Haiji continues to get off scott-free! Lets jump in! Now Kaze Fui this week was, in my opinion, a bit of a non-starter. I don’t think it really addressed or dealt with many of the […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]