Posted by Lenlo on 4 December 2017 with categories: Finished Series: Adventure/Fantasy/Science Fiction, Inuyashiki

Hello and welcome to another week of Inuyashiki. We are approaching the end, with only 3 episodes left. The end-game has been revealed, Hiro returns to his roots and Inuyashiki gets found out by someone close to him. Lets jump in!

To start off, Inuyashiki tipped its hand this week as to the ultimate ending. A news report mentioned a 50 km wide meteor hurtling towards the planet. This is something far beyond any human technology to stop, but luckily we have two alien cyborgs to save the day. The only real question is which of the two is going to inevitably sacrifice themselves to stop it. On one hand we have Inuyashiki, the old man dedicated to helping people. Its completely in his character to save people, yet he has much more to lose than Hiro. On the other hand, Hiro sacrificing himself would complete the “redemption” arc/theme Inuyashiki seems to be going for. I am not sure which I would prefer, or how both of them sacrificing themselves would fit in. Regardless, the general ending is now obvious, we need only wait and see how it’s done.

Now we couldn’t talk about this episode without mentioning Hiro. Unlike the last two episodes, this one splits its time between both of our leads, yet our time with Hiro is the most eventful. Picking up from last episode, we catch Hiro in the middle of a police raid. Somehow, after supposedly being shot numerous times, both Shiro and the Grandmother are alive. It can be assumed that Hiro healed them, but I feel it could have been portrayed better. Back to the police raid, I am disappointed in the police. At this point they have seen Hiro survive bullets, fly away and shoot without a gun. They should have innovated or tried something different. The idea of a night police raid, shoot first ask questions later was good, but when will they acknowledge that Hiro just isn’t human?

In response to their night raid, Hiro also decides to go on the offensive. All in all, this was a pretty good sequence. We get sociopathic Hiro back, well done action and the promise of more to come. In particular I loved how Hiro flew around when hit by high powered rifles. Flying to the side, sliding on the ground as shot by a hail of bullets. Hiro also running around with his finger guns, as his clothes ripped to pieces. It was all very good. We also get a hint that their bodies, or at least that super weapon Hiro used, runs on water. Inuyashiki drank a large amount in the first episode and Hiro is unconscious here until he drinks some rain water. Its nice to see a limitation on them and I am curious how it will be used in the future, since its being hinted at.

For Inuyashiki, he had a far less eventful but still important episode. We see him continue to practice with his abilities, learning to control cars, and his continued healing antics.  Most of all though, we see his Daughter, Mari, discover him. Its nice to see more of Inuyashiki’s family, to see them finally do something. She even smack talks Eiichiro Oda’s son, yes that who that was. Whats interesting in this though is that Mari thinks that Inuyashiki is actually responsible for Hiro’s twitter act, and will no doubt spread it. Its sad to think that even the small good Hiro tried to do will be credited to someone else. Yet it’s nice to know that Inuyashiki’s acts of good will get out there. Hopefully with this and Hiro going full villain, Inuyashiki will step up and go full hero.

All in all, it was a better episode than the last. The animation was good in some places, lackluster in other. The environments stood out for a city-scape and the plot advanced. I am disappointed that the story is using a meteor as its final act rather than a physical battle of wills between our two leads, but with the sympathy angle used on Hiro I suspected he would end a martyr. The only thing left to do is see how and how quickly Inuyashiki folds this out. With only 3 episodes left, there is only so much they can cover. It worries me.

Regardless, I will see you next time for the beginning of the end of Inuyashiki!

1. Vonter says:

I think this episode used better a comedic gag than the Magus Bride. When Mari was trying to get why his dad was with one of his classmates. And I think that joke worked mainly because she keep it to herself.

The police station assault reminds me of the first Terminator movie. Which makes me think this series could technically work as a live action movie. I mean aside from the flying bits we’ve seen these type of things on live action movies using practical effects.

Lastly I would have liked if the anime could have been able to freeze certain frames of the manga, since I think some compositions looked really cool and it being more of a moment in the anime feels a bit disappointing. Despite the ugliness of the Berserk anime I did like when it dramatized some scenes of the manga.

• Lenlo says:

Yes, the imaginary scenes of Ando and Inuyashiki were amusing without breaking the scene.

I also recommend you don’t get me started on Berserk. I hate the fact that the anime exists with every fiber of my being.

2. MarigoldRan says:

I noticed that your blog post is different from the blog post written by other bloggers. You do not use the same words.

Consequently, how do you know that you’re blogging about the same show as they are?

• Lenlo says:

I have a complex about liking bigger words than I probably need. Also, some of the others are not natural english speakers. I am.

• MarigoldRan says:

Oooo. Social attack. Your brain just made up some shi- in response to the belief that a stranger is attacking you. You respond as such because you thought such tactics worked in the past.

Interesting. By the way, you’re using a double standard. The words I’m using here are no more complex than the ones you usually use. I’m just combining it in different ways.

• Lenlo says:

Im not… attacking anyone? It was meant as self depreciating humor and a jest at my colleagues expense?

• MarigoldRan says:

Go to Rotten Tomatoes and read a movie review on The Matrix or whatever other movie you like. Then read a second review of that movie. Then read a third review of the “same” movie. Etc. etc.

What might you notice about all the reviews? None of the reviews are exactly the same. So, then, why do we assume each reviewer saw the “same” movie but “interpreted” the movie differently? Given the evidence, can’t I just go ahead and say each person saw a different movie?

• MarigoldRan says:

I’m literally writing a book on this. Since you’re a decent writer, I would like your opinion on this idea.

• MarigoldRan says:

Perhaps I haven’t been clear. So let me clarify.

No one responds to shi- the same way. So why do we assume they’re responding to the same shi-?

Look at the comments here. No one wrote the “same” comment but everyone assumes they’ve watched the same show. Why?

I’m not criticizing what you wrote about Inuyashiki. I’m just curious: is ANYONE writing about the “same” Inuyashiki as anyone else?

• MarigoldRan says:

Personally, I think your writing is pretty good. I understand it’s just “one author’s” viewpoint.

What I’m curious about is this: if EVERY post is “just some person’s” viewpoint then why do we need to assume there exists a single “same” show that everyone watched?

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

So basically you wish to inquire about the cognitive dissonance of individual consensus and how interpretation effects the media we consume to digest it into categories of congestive quality terms such as good, great or terrible. Thus if the “same” show can be categorized drastically different by alternative people then is it possible that everyone is not watching the exact same show. That through another perception a show can be completely different?

So the real question is if people are truly watching the same show?
          And the answer is yes. Yes they are. Don’t be a dumbass.

• MarigoldRan says:

And the blogger accuses me of using long words. Sigh.

People launch personal attacks because they think it worked in the past. I really don’t give shi- what you think about me meaning that I don’t even particularly care to waste my time insulting you, personally. My point is simple:

No two people will ever write the same shi- about a TV show. So why do people assume they watched the same show? There’s no evidence of it. It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

Shit. Just write shit. Removing the final letter doesn’t somehow make it no longer uncouth.

Anyway I used those words on purpose, just to give you a reflection of yourself. Pretentious isn’t it? Look my friend, before writing any books you might want to do an awful lot of research as you will come to find that anything you thought up on your own has been thought up and debated till the end of time. In this case your inquiry falls apart because you claim that two people cannot prove they watched the same thing. But they can, they can recount what happened in the episode. While opinions may differ, the actual content that they watched is the same. So there is nothing to prove, because it’s obvious.

• MarigoldRan says:

But that’s proof that two people DIDN’T watch the same show.

Because when two people argue, they never use the same words to argue about anything. Two people can write a summary of an event, and there are similarities in the summary.

But similar isn’t SAME.

More personal attacks. Whatever. I really don’t give a shi- about what you think about me. My point remains: you think we’re having the same argument even though from the evidence of our words we’re obviously not.

• MarigoldRan says:

When people write shi- about other people, they’re really not writing about that person.

What they’re actually writing about is a memory construction of the other person.

For example, you don’t know who the f- I am. So when you write shi- about me, what you’re doing is you’re writing shi- about a memory construction made by YOUR OWN BRAIN cobbled together from bits an pieces of other constructions you made in your past.

3. Strength says:

50km asteroid is massive. But the idea of such unknown asteroid existing and even on a collision course with Earth nowadays is virtually impossible, unless we are talking about a comet. The object in Inuyashiki was reported to be fast, which implies it is indeed a comet.

Some correct terminology for the writer:
    – Meteor is the “shooting star” phenomenon – asteroid burning in the atmosphere.
    – Meteorite is the remains of the actual object that has fallen on Earth.
    – Asteroid is the original object in the space.
    – Meteoroid is a small asteroid.
    – Comet is an ‘asteroid’ that contains ice and comes from the edge of solar system, often has a visible tail because the Sun sublimates it when nearby and is very dangerous because far away regions are not mapped and worse – it is incredibly fast due to its high orbit eccentricity (which means its coming directly at us unlike asteroids which have mostly the same orbit as planets, hence very small speed relative to us).

So comets are many, are far away, are unknown, go right at us (harder to detect) are fast and do muuuch more damage! The ultimate life-killer.

PS: The largest asteroid to fly ‘near’ Earth ever observed has flied by just 2 months ago and boasted size of 4 kilometers!

• Lenlo says:

I was not aware of the distinctions! I was merely running the the translation given to me.

Interesting that speed is a qualifier for what name something gets.

• Strength says:

Not many people know the distinction, but it interesting so I always provide when I see it getting mixed up.

Ah no it isn’t, it is merely a consequence of their orbit that is (usually) not circle but (very prolonged) ellipse, so they accelerate (i.e. fall) from the end of solar system to here. Comets truly are structurally different from asteroids.

PS: HorribleSubs (that I’ve seen) used the word asteroid for the news scene. The Japanese word (wakusei) tells me nothing as far as technical terminology is concerned.

4. Strength says:

The asteroid development is a large cop out.

5. MarigoldRan says:

“The messages anyone sends will never be the same as what people hear.”

Right?

If so, then why assume anyone will ever watch the “same” show? Maybe everyone is watching a different show and just sort of assumes that everyone else is doing the same.

But yeah, the asteroid development is a large cop out. Ah well.

6. KTravlos says:

Lenlo thank you for the reviews.

Oh and the music was pretty good too I guess. Another episode is airing in March.
Masa also recovered from his car accident from a few episodes ago. It was totally unneeded in my opinion.
The last episode of Tsurune was a decent ending to an otherwise formulaic sports show with some great animation on par for the course with KyoAni. Minato overcame his target panic and won it for the team. Twins got owned big time.
Animosh
There's a new episode out of the Gridman voice drama: https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2019/01/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-6n.html. It's a pretty good one too.
Animosh
My only worry is if the series will be able to get to its logical stopping point (the end of the Claw arc) in 12 episodes. But I suppose I should trust Bones over my vague memories of how much content there is left to cover.
Animosh
Yeah, I agree a split cour could be good. It would allow the series to maintain its high levels of animation, and given how stacked next season looks to be (anime aside, there's also American Gods and the Game of Thrones madness to keep up with), and with another ONE show airing, a break wouldn't be so bad.
Split cour of Mob Psycho would be awesome. I don't want to watch 2 ONE's adaptation in one season
Not for bloggin
While I love Mob, I am a bit happy its only 1 cour. I couldnt do 3 2 cour series
Animosh
Assuming we do get 12 episodes, a split cour would still make sense ... but I guess we'll just have to wait for the official confirmations
Animosh
As far as I can tell the only source is some guy in Twitter, so not sure how reliable it is
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Devilman Lady is what comes to mind on how to do this type of show better. That one had also a special agency for supernatural incidents, has a simple but compelling main character, uses it's time to build atmosphere and mood and even the action while a bit stilted had better monster design and the violence it's graphic but entertaining like Robocop.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ok I will check. I'm also curious where it goes in terms of tone. Because it's all over the place.
Ok. Last time I tried the login in feature didn't respond. This time it worked.
@Anon: Keep me posted of magical girl spec ops in case it does turn into the kind of guilty pleasure shlock it should.
@Anon: Is this vonter? If you register an account you can keep the name.
But I think what gets me the most its how it beats the dead horse of the 80s action hero arc. Van Damme, Arnold and Stallone had more or less these type of lines. Its kind of funny this anime pretends these aren't tropes we don't use anymore because of how corny they come off. It'll definitely work better as an abridged series since it can be very boring when it tries to add the school life moment
Also Mahou Spec Ops... Is interestingly bad. It tries to be exploitative and shocking but feels very sloppy, kinda like that meme of *slow heavy metal music plays* It also wants to play it like a dark shoujo anime, but the cute monsters are just distracting.
Reading your conversations about idols, despite being mediocre Gokudolls and Ore Mahou Shoujo made jabs at that culture. At least painting some aspects that may be true of how exploitative it is. I suppose because those are subpar, over the top and cheap is what they can do that. Can't remember one aside from Perfect Blue which criticizes that industry.
But only if there was more anime noirs.
Reminds me of that stalin vs hitler comic. Think it was russian. They're attacking each other with magical super powers there. And yeah, I love noir now that you mention it.
@Amagi: That'd make for a great noir story.
@Amagi: Imagine Stalin and Hitler trolling each other on twitter.
It's easy to construct superiority when you never have to show your private face and never participate in mundane chat talks or so.
I bet a lot of people who had some aura of authority back then due to only ever appearing in books or for very rare (scripted) speeches would probably laughing stocks now if we'd see them commenting on daily stuff and news on twitter or reddit.
I personally have given up upon having heroes. I still find a lot of historical people interesting but let's be real the few of them that weren't blatanly bad in some way were different then we imagine them to be (even if they're good). Just look how different people feel now that you see them tweeting on twitter VS policians etc decades ago.
I like the idea of a main character longing for a dead friend and role model he had and still idolizes. Then at some point he starts reconstructing his friend's past to cherish his memories about him even more but finds out that the friends wasn't the hero he believed him to be and maybe even the own memories of him were idealized a lot over the years after his death without him even noticing.
Yeah we are always searching for some sort of über-ich or perfect being that symbolizes the goal of some personality growth we're trying to achieve.
Or the reason why some people need to have so many things or idols they probably don't need.
I think there is a genetic/mental inadequacy in humanity that makes us susceptible to following "higher people who we forget are actually human" because of our own desire for an avatar or general inadequacy as human beings.
Yeah this. It's probably also why they defend them so eagerly. Because it's actually true that "their" version of that person would never do that.
@Amagi: And that probably creates a much stronger blow to them when the actor is found guilty of a crime.
@Amagi: Very good response.
It's kinda weird how almost everything we know about others is actually just interpretation to some degree.
The weird thing is that I think that many fans of acrots/celebrities rather create their own versions of them they fall in love with rather than loving the actual person, whom they barely even know. It's fun because the concept of a waifu sounds extremely weird to normal people, but many normal people kinda do this too but with real persons (but imaginary personality).
I think thats where it starts getting obsessive or where it gets too close to the next level, such as what the anon mentioned.
I also can't bring myself to get too attached to a celebrity or to a character. I do look at hentai doujins yes but, I've probably had thoughts about certain actors or what not, but I never actually want to sleep with them, again I think that's taking fantasy too far.
I never know if these are serious celebrations or rather some fun memes they do to post, I always assumed the latter. Kinda.
I think the fans celebrating the idol's birthday thing is taking it to far too, especially if its an anime character.
Yeah I was never an idol fan either, and I don't just mean the idol genre in anime but anything similar to idol stuff in general, like being a fanboy/girl of some celebrity or something. Was never able to get into that.
Its all too superficial.
Don't like the ideas it gives teenage girls either .
Certain topics just set me off =<
The third episode of Wake Up girls was pretty good in that regard. I think it was the third one.
But yes, thats a pretty bad story what happened to the woman you mentioned.
@Anon: Might be a good idea to catch some documentaries on that topic .
But that was just a sentence from some guy on a podcast though.
Now though I didn't see it, I do recall someone saying some of that Wake up girls idol anime slightly brought up seedier parts of the industry if not much.
The hallow shallowness of the idol industry I mean.
I also dislike the shallowness of it.
I love how Perfect blue takes influences from those gialli/giallo style films from the 60s/70s to an extent, while also spitting on the industry.
But you know what sucks? A part of me, both in regards to those women (and probably some of the male idols) whether it be in reality or animation, I can't actually deny finding some of these men/women actually physically attractive.
Music industry has its seediness just about everywhere and of course victim blaming going to appear everywhere, not just Japan.
*commodification-consumerist
@Anon: I hate capitalism, I hate the idol communication-commercialist industry and the willing self-aware slaves and their masters who perpetuate it, the music is largely awful aswell. I don't watch most of the idol anime, I think the idea of 30 something men throwing cash it is awful.
Anonymous3319279
Wonder if there will be some modern equivalent of Perfect Blue? That was a scathing critique of the idol industry back in the late 90s. Although given how shows that are flat out glorifying the industry are the best-selling shows on BD every year, I doubt it.
Anonymous3319279
In short, she was assaulted by two men at her home who were then arrested. Then she was pressured by her managers into claiming that she was to blame for this, not the men and apologizing to an audience.
Anonymous3319279
Hearing about what happened to some idol named Mahohon seriously makes me wonder if idol culture in Japan seriously needs an overhaul and if media needs to stop glorifying the industry so much.
Anonymous3319260
Ok. No pressure, just asking.
@Anon, we are working on it. It's nearing completion and should be posted soon.
I don't know if I missed it. But have you put the overview of 2018? Of best show, best character, etc. Did 2018 had a good anime villain?
Anyhoo, surprisingly Lovecraft's books have some really faithful manga adaptions
A story set in world post "Cthulhu"(or whatever is setting equivalent) awakening and transcending humans into "savage" inhuman world that he is supposed to bring forth
Ya know, speaking of lovecraft here is what I really want to see:
Well I guess Die Farbe and whisperer in the darkness count and the cthulu one, the latter two were done by the Lovecraft society.
The closest we got with an actual adaptation was Dreams of the witchhouse , but they left out Nyarlathotep.
Those films were fun, but none of them dated well either.
I have to seperate my knowledge of the books from Stuart Gordon and Brian yuznas films that borrow elements and titles from Lovecrafts works, once I accept their takes on him are just body horror a black comedies I can kind of accept it more.
I think Junji Ito's manga works have come the closest to Lovecrafts brand of horror, and we all saw how that adaptation went.
Yeah, Lovecraft is a hard one. Even his own books are hit or miss, because it is a very fine line for his brand of psychological horror. Would make for an interesting and unique anime if done well though
A lovecraft themed world would find some difficulty in getting the atmosphere right as he has proved difficult to adapt.
Ah. Yeah, a non-traditional setting like that would be good. I think Isekai, to really change it up, should start going for non-traditional settings. Sci-Fi, Lovecraft, etc. I think this was mentioned before yeah?
@Lenlo: I believe the anon was saying it in relation to making a good setting for an isekai show.
Its why I standby Sakaki in this that, even if he was a dick about it, he is right to be angry at how it all placed out. Just not at Kurahara.

Also @Anon, I loved Bloodborne! No idea what the convo is about, but saw it mentioned
They should Kaiser, I agree. Just look at American college football right now. ITs coming out all over the place, and people wonder why teams dont speak out against it. Its because they are kids, they think "This is how its SUPPOSED to be. Only the best make it. Its not the coaches fault, he makes us win". etc etc.
There is a spinoff anthology for bloom into you's manga.
Or other big issues relating to sports such as performance enhancing drugs.
Lenlo, a thought popped into my head there, more sports shows should focus on abuse.
I think flipflappers is one of my favourites in years, but it was definately at its best when it wasn't really about wrapping up its story.
Space Dandy and Kaiba had this to some degree too. Liked both series.
@Kaiser: Kinda sad that the latter half of Flip Flappers was rather weak because it started with this different worlds idea.
I think Matsumoto stuff might actually be the very first anime I have seen in my life, not regularly though and usually when I was in Italy.
The noir world could be in black and white.
How about another world that has different sections that follow different genres?
@Anon: Helped greatly by his use of artistic cinematography and use of dramatic stills.
Old anime has very bitter stories. Despite the old drawings, several had harsh live lessons. Osamu Dezaki had such a talent to direct drama.
I need to actually watch that Leiji Matsumoto stuff some day.
Also Galaxy Express 99 I think also treated that topic.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Wasn't that Gate?
Just like how Gundam made one for the Vietnam War.
A proper story dealing with isekai and immigration crisis.
I mean they could make an allegory of the Berlin Wall.
So Papers Please the anime?
I think a romance themed isekai involving borders and beraucracy getting in the way could work.
I liked those czech Jules verne animations.
I suppose the work for creating assets for new settings it's why they don't do it. Most Isekai seem like they can take a tree, or a house from previous works and just change them a little.
On second thought, that was technically the Anastasia animated movie.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Yeah. Just take the roadmap Bloodborne put out. It's even the perfect setting for an antihero archetype, considering these settings are about the hunt, surviving and superstition. I'll also like the Russia setting, harsh weather, espionage, travelling through train, boat and land like Jules Verne's Ivan Strogoff
That time I got reincarnated in the Soviet union.
I'd love to see an anime set in Russia.
Gothic horror or industrial if only for liking the genre. I still want my anime western.
All in all as I always say. I want new settings, steampunk, western, egyptian, chinese, space, nuclear dystopian, castaway, underwater, skyworld, gothic horror. Or any other tired trope other than european medieval fantasy.
Hmmm, with the nostalgia of old games undertale went for, but without the maudlin di7alogue.
Or something like Mad Max or the RPG series it inspired Metal Max. Maybe another one inspired by Phantasy Star.
I got it! What if someone makes an Isekai on the vein of Earthbound or Undertale. I mean most are influenced by the standard fantasy JRPG. So why not take from the less typical ones?
Just for the novelty of it, I would like to see an anime about a relationship between un-traditional/un-usual couples that we never see.
Maybe that'd be cheesy or something but they manage to form new friendship/families which allow them to put behind what they lost.
I like semi-episodical series that have an episodical plot and a golden thread at the same time, the latter usually being more subtile or like a subplot and each episodical adventure gives the audience a few new hints or informations about the setting, characters or main plot.
I wouldn't even mind a drama driven otherworld story about a depressed person trying to move on and the new world actually helping them move past that.
So how about my don-quixhote anime Japan =)
But at the same time there's a bunch of serious stuff, but its not clashing with the lighthearted stuff badly.
My favourite type of adventure story though are the ones where its more about the journey and hangout, sometimes the story appears here and there. And its usually centred around three goofballs with alot of chemistry.
Sadly there never is any culture clash or culture shock either, speaking of the LN/game mechanic isekai here. The isekai people are just like the people of nowadays Japan but with swords and magic, basically. Maybe a few rituals at best.
An isekai should be like King of Thorns despite KoT not being an actual isekai. But awakening in another world, not understanding anything, exploring, mysteries and slowly piecing things together that make the MC understand the logic of that new world a bit better while trying to integrate into the foreign culture.
@Kaiser/Anon: I feel like that too. I love explore and isekai would be perfect for exploration and yet it's always about the MC finding his place as soon as he got teleported, he finds his crew, friends, house, power and so on.
@Anon: You're right I watched a few scenes, the dub actually fits pretty well to Nanbaka. The series itselfs is too insane for me I guess.
@Anon: Lack of journey, focuses too much on harem/romcom bits.
I have yet to watch Voltron. The animation looks somewhat weird to me but everything else I heard about it so far sounds pretty good.
I welcome the essays Kaiser! Sakaki is a much more complex character than I expected, and Animosh is right that it doesnt justify his actions. I didnt mean to imply that. I do think however that Sakaki is not wrong to be angry. He is just directing it at the wrong person.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - In what sense? In that it isn't a journey? A quest? A series of trials? The hunt of ancient treasure? Or whatever dimension hoping happens in Milk Closet?
@Animosh: Well said about Sakaki's character and I agree with you on it. Saves me writing an essay response now.
Tangent, but I want to say something, one of the most annoying things about LNs is when they do the isekai thing, the other world almost never feels like an adventure.
And I honestly wouldn't complain if it was full blown yuri or shoujo-ai.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - A lot of series have hard ship baiting. Voltron, She Ra, Seraph of the End, Korra (which at the last second they did it). I know sometimes is a stretch like Frodo and Sam in LotR or Venom and Eddie. But other times it's that relationship in everything but name.
People seem to play up the shoujo-ai thing in Euphonium.
@Amagi - Nanbaka has a good English dub. They knew the delivery had to be as hammy as possible.
I'm looking forward to those Gundam NT films.
I didn't finish violet evergarden nor did I watch tsurune. In the priors case, that was something I would have seen myself liking maybe 10 years ago.
@Amagi: I liked Koe no kitachi aswell.
We can call it Racing Lads.
Okay thanks. I can deal with slow pacing as long as there is an atmosphere or good character story.
Free and kaze cross over WHEN!
I liked how scaled back it was.
@Amagi: I think you were asking about the new kyoani movie earlier? I can't remember if I posted about it on here what I thought, but I actually liked it more than the main Euphonium series, it stood out in its adherence to using body language, silence and movements moreso than dialogue while giving me a coming of age movie I had been asking for. Though some won't like the glacial pacing
KazeGa is pretty damn good. It kinda feels like it actually is what Kyoani is always trying to do when they produce sport series with a male cast that are half comedy half drama. But while I often like some aspects of Kyoani shows (like the setting and themes of VEG), I never like the execution, save from the looks of course that are awesome but don't help making the content any better.
*above
@SuperMario: IIRC mosts Steven Universe VAs are actual singers so they should be a level about typical VAs anyway. Not sure who's voice acting for RWBY.
But since I watch everything seasonally subs are faster and I usually don't rewatch series, otherwise a rewatch could be a good reason to watch the dubs for the second time.
At least eng dubs got way better in general over the yers. Probably because anime is more mainstream now. Maybe I would like many of them more if I started with the dub.
Maybe it’s a translation issue, by that I mean usually some nuance from the native language is lost in translation. That issue can be alright if it subs, but when saying it out loud it becomes unnatural?
Japanese VAs also talk a lot about their characters and give interviews about them, including their own interpretations or head canon stuff. Not sure if western VAs of Japanese shows do that too.
Instead when it's a foreign show there is nothing to do but to memorize the finished lines and everything is already set in stone, so you are 100% passive and can't really view it as your or your team's work.
I often heard that western VAs thought up some ideas that were integrated into the script. Not sure if that's the case for most cartoons of if these were exceptions, but it could be a hint that VAs are way more involved into a show and the development of their characters when it is a native show, it's kinda logical.
Yeah, native stuff is usually better.
Then again, I enjoy the English VA of western cartoon like RWBY or Steven Universe so I guess it’s just a matter of original intended language for me
Well, I’m not a fan of dubbing either. Not that much of a dub-hater but I remember watching Monster and Cowboy Bebop in english dub before I had to switch back to Japanese voice midway through
Still living ones I mean. But as said actual movies are usually well dubbed, so I guess it depends on how much money something generates.
I knew a bunch of old ones but they're all dead by now. Know maybe three or so with name and face (and often don't even recognize them in movies) and another 6-10 by name only.

Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) – 04 [VS The Imaginator 1]

It starts with a girl jumping off the building. I’m always a sucker for this sort of opener (clue in to Lain and Satoshi Kon even though Kon never technically did that for opener), and it feels like a decent start for the next arc to come. It basically repeats the same formula as the […]

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai – 02

WARNING: This review of Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai has been authored by a non-manga reader. His ignorance of future characters and plot points may limit his perspective on the series as it unfolds. Proceed with caution! Boy, is this show a treat. I know we’re only two weeks into the winter season, but Kaguya-sama is my […]

Yakusoku no Neverland – 02[131045]

Thus the story of the Promised Neverland starts in earnest now that the first episode has revealed it’s book and the nature of the orphanage is revealed. As someone aptly put it, this is like Chicken Run, the anime. It’s quite interesting seeing things from a new perspective now that the curtain has risen as […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 13 [And Then Start Running]

Kaze Fui returns, contending with and maybe even beating Mob Psycho for best episode of the week! We have introspection, backstory, and the team coming together to protect their emotionally stunted friend! Lets charge in! Everything about Kaze Fui this week was fantastic. From the narrative to the VA’s. But one I want to hit […]

Dororo – 2 [The Story of Bandai]

Hello and welcome to show number two for me of the new season! Dororo is an interesting one, based on a 1960’s manga, with this being its second adaptation. This week we meet another demon, learn our leads name and that not all spirits are bad. Let’s dive in! Visually, Dororo is sort of a […]

Goblin Slayer Anime Review – 60/100

The controversial nature of this shows opening episode may have many turning away from it due to believing it’s nothing but shock value but that truly isn’t what Goblin Slayer is. I will say that the manga may hold some truth to that statement but thanks to some tasteful censoring(Yes, sometimes censoring can be a […]

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 – 2 [Urban Legends ~Encountering Rumors~]

Hello and welcome to the first outright perfect episode of anime of 2019! Mob Psycho 100 knocked it out of the park this week in every respect, so let’s just jump right in! Right off the bat, Bones is out in full force animation wise. Everything about this episode, visually, was fantastic. Even in drab, […]

Zombieland Saga Anime Review – 60/100

Zombieland Saga was a show that came out of the gate guns blazing, no one expected it nor did anyone predict it but it left a strong impression when it first aired it’s starting episodes. Originally considered to be another zombie apocalypse anime, it overthrew expectations by turning out to be a zombie idol anime. […]

Planetes Anime Review – 89/100

If there is one thing I have lost watching seasonal anime, it is patience. Every week I expect something to happen, some kind of payoff, to make watching that week worth it. Luckily, Planetes as brought that back to me. Its depth of writing, characters, and general structure belay an anime of a different age. […]

Goblin Slayer Anime Review – 60/100

Zombieland Saga Anime Review – 60/100

SSSS.GRIDMAN (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 87/100

Let it be known that I’ve never been a fan of Trigger. For me, they’re one of the most style-with-no-substance studio on Earth with a tendency for god-awful fanservice, and total nonsense in terms of story and characters. Yet GRIDMAN completely caught me off guard in the first two episodes, and from there, there was […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 86/100

If anyone has been familiar with the first season of Thunderbolt Fantasy, you’d find yourself a lot to enjoy in this second installment. Served as a sequel, but not a direct continuation to the first, viewers don’t need the knowledge of the original in order to enjoy this ride. Thunderbolt 2 carries many trademarks that […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara (2018 Fall) Anime Review – 73/100

In the last few years, it’s great to see P.A Works has slowly created their own studio identity, putting more original works with consistent production values. Just in 2018, they produced 4 shows (quite a good number if you ask me), 3 of them were original: Maquia, Sirius the Jaeger and Irozuku. As I said, […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Anime Review – 82/100

In the wake of many a school based light novel show this may be the small bits of fresh air was can savor out of this overdone setting. Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl(Or by its japanese title above) is a series not about rascals or bunny girls but instead about contextualising common high […]

Banana Fish Anime Review – 72/100

Some days, I wonder what it is with America and anime about organized crime. Baccano!, 91 Days, Blood Blockade Battlefront, all set in America, all involving criminal underworlds. Today, I get to add another to that list in the form of Banana Fish. Much more grounded than the others, it’s story dates all the way […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 73/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]