Posted by Lenlo on 17 December 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Inuyashiki

This was a momentous week for Inuyashiki, with lots of highs and single glaring low. We had terrible CGI, an emotional confrontation between our leads and a fantastic payoff for Inuyashiki. Lets jump in!

To start, lets get the big issue out of the way immediately, the PS2 era CGI. To quote reddit, the budget for this fight might as well have been “30 yen and a box of paperclips”. Everything before and after our two leads fight was great. Most of the fight itself however was disappointing. A lot of the scenes looked unfinished, the buildings had terrible resolutions and there was no impact between our characters and the world. It’s like they were flying through the old Superman game. The only part of the fight I thought was done well was the ending, with the satellite. The satellite not only up the ante and make for a great spectacle, it showed the difference of ours leads. Hiro used brute force, while Inuyashiki hid using the debris to get a meaningful strike in. It was a satisfying end to a mostly disappointing fight.

Outside the fight, Hiro and Inuyashiki were both phenomenal this episode. First, the escalation of Hiro’s terror attack was great, revealing it was multiple planes. It gave Inuyashiki people to save while still letting Hiro partially succeed. It also finally brought our two leads into conflict, meeting for the only the second time this whole season, giving us some of the best  dialogue so far. Hiro’s realization as he sees Inuyashiki saving these people, his look of anguish as he asks “Am I the villain?”, was magnificent. His internal conflict, how he and Inuyashiki are the same in that they both do what they do for selfish reasons, was poignant yet ignorant. I loved it all. The resolution to this fit Hiro as well, as he lashes out like a child, punching Inuyashiki instead of using any of his grand weapons.

Hiro and Inuyashiki’s fist-fight, and everything up to the CGI flight, is even better than the satellite scene but for different reasons. Absurdity permeates this fight, as these two god-like cyborgs are in a fist-fight. The small details like metal clangs whenever they hit each other adding to this. Eventually Inuyashiki fires in with his own air-gun, surprising me and Hiro, and what follows is one of the weirdest, funniest scenes I have seen this season. Hiro and Inuyashiki, air-gunning, “dadadadadadada” like children playing a game, fully on model and completely serious, was perfect. Made better because we, as the audience, know exactly how deadly those things truly are. Every issue I have with the air guns are forgiven, because they made this scene possible. It hurts that the following aerial fight is disappointing, but Mari’s subplot happening behind it makes at least gives it some tension.

Speaking of Mari, lets talk about her, Inuyashiki, and how MAPPA made what should have been a rote, unsurprising scene, novel and interesting. Turns out, Mari was in fact in a building hit by a plane, but instead of dying instantly she is stuck in a burning building with no way out. Pretty terrible way to die, and Inuyashiki got to hear every second of it. The best part, for me, is when he arrives she’s dead, beyond even his robotic healing abilities. At least we get bait and switched and she coughs back to life. This would be disappointing normally, but it was handled well enough that I think this is just as good as if she had died. The flashbacks of her growing up and Inuyashiki’s emotions. It was beautiful and it paved the way for the rest of the episode and Inuyashiki’s time in the spotlight.

After rescuing Mari, we finally get to see the aftermath of Hiro’s attack and his fight with Inuyashiki. The city is in smoke and it is our hero’s time to shine. Watching Inuyashiki save people all night, the faces of those he saved, the doctors and firemen who regard him as the 2nd coming, was phenomenal. The reporter who covers the camera, so as to not show his face. They were all nice touches and I can not wait to the results of this in the final episode. Inuyashiki has deserved some recognition this whole season and he is finally going to get it. Sadly, aside from Inuyashiki, I am not optimistic for this ending. The Asteroid is still in play, as well as Hiro coming back because of some passing bystanders. I just don’t see how it can be done sadly, short of a double length episode.

All in all, the best episode of Inuyashiki yet. Aside from a few minutes of CGI, everything in this episode had a purpose and was done well. Even the episode title, “People of Tokyo”, was relevant to both our heroes and how they are seen by them. Had this been the last episode, with maybe a few small changes to clean it up more, I would be happy. Scarily, there is still one more to go and ~15 chapters of manga left to adapt, and I don’t expect it to finish well. Regardless, even if the last episode is terrible, I will remember “People of Tokyo” fondly for a good while.

See you next week for the finale of Inuyashiki! Make sure to tell me what you think down below, I have already had some interesting discussions about it. And make sure to check out Mario’s posts on Juuni Taisen, another standout of the season. Bye!

1. Spike says:

This was the culmination of the overall theme, one person with family and friends loses it all because of selfishness; another regains his estranged family with his selflessness.

Looking forward to the end!

• Problem says:

Nice parallel. But I think the big message is a bit less simple: You need to work towards your happiness, not expect it to be given for free.

People nowadays want it all, otherwise it’s not worth the effort. In fact, they do not put any effort at all. But they sure act high and mighty towards those that do.

Inuyashiki and Hiro both got their bodies to free them from daily human struggle (society, money, etc) to have a real chance to do something. Hiro has it all, money, looks, people who care about him and he is still miserable. Just doing whatever to please oneself is not how it is done, Inuyashiki shows that to Hiro, maybe he will finally get it in the last ep.

2. KTravlos says:

This was a great episode.

By the way, I really like how the show handled Mari. Despite her appearance, they made sure to get it through to us that this is still a young girl and a child. I is cool. This is a really good series.

3. Problem says:

Inuyashiki does a lot of things right and I liked this episode (the post sums up why), but in overall, this series does not work for me. I feel like a lot of seinen shows, while free of the clutches of shounen silliness, get tangled up in their own set of problems, the wretched CGI being one of the prominent ones.

• Lenlo says:

Its true, as a whole Inuyashiki has a lot of problems, and I fear the ending isnt going to fix most of them.

Atleast we got this one great episode out of it all though.

4. KTravlos says:

It is interesting that the two most crucial resuscitations in the show done by Inuyahiki were done with good old first aid, rather than his powers.

5. Vonter says:

I was preparing to see that action scene having issues translating into an animated series. In the manga it was movie quality, so even it was a bit better it’ll still have struggled. CGI is something in general I see more restrained in Japan in terms of visual fidelity. I don’t know the behind scenes stuff, but I remember in Berserk they did drew on top of the CG models, and if it wasn’t that the issue I could see rendering times possibly be problematic if they had a more detailed sequence. Is also present in most videogames in which anime and cel shading are more embraced in Japan than more photorealistic shaders.

All in all, weak but serviceable. I think several moments still deliver the intended emotion despite lacking a punchier action sequence.

*allows us
I will probably watch shojo kageki dubbed.
I've fallen behind on shoujo kageki and sirius.
....was lovingly semi-oneric.
That kids backstory is so depressing in happy sugar life. Nail pulling scene messed me up. I also watched the new satsuriku no tenshi episode, this is definately going at a quicker place, they skipped a whole character and by doing so, also a flashback involving Cathy. Though I'm not too bothered by it as it also us to get to the big bad quicker and focus on Zack/Rachel. First bit of this episode
This is Sash by the way, name keeps changing back to anonymous
@Kaiser-Eoghan: yes... I meant that...
Talking about being born in a digital age huh?
@Kaiser, for my old roommate maybe. I dont think ive ever bought a magazine in my life
@Sash: Do you mean visual novel?
Admit it Lenlo, you would buy that magzine with Ash and Eiji on it.
Sash
@AidanAK47: i have recently read the light novel of Fate Stay Night and, though I don't share your sentiment, I do see why you love it so much
Sword art is one of those things that everywhere you look you'll see it hated, yet in rolls in the money.
Well, its hated by certain parts of the community. Usually western parts.
@Mitsuko, yep we are well aware. But as an FYI, SAO is hated heavily in the anime community. So another season isn't exactly a cause for celebration but rather a dejected sigh.
Banana Fish, back on track. Also, this ED is my favorite of the season.
Mitsuko
@Lenlo i agree that was one of the best i cried in that part
Oh I know it is. Doesnt mean I have to acknowledge it. Mothers Rosario was the only SAO arc I actually liked, and Kirito had almost no involvement in it
@Mitsuko: Its gone on for too long.
Mitsuko
i dont know if anyone said this already or that you know but sword art online is coming out with a season 3 in october right
Adimar
i miss Shino god i hope there is another season were she gets out of her coma and haseo and Shino get together if that happens then god it will be amazing
Don't think I brought this up, but I've only seen one season of Bleach, random episodes of DBZ, few episodes of Naruto and two volumes of one piece, most I got was 32 episodes of hunter x hunter.
Another example is I can't get into most shounen because it isn't seinen. Too often I can't separate shounen jump stuff from each other in my head even if I know they are different.
I suppose I do experience exceptions , I could probably find one dark moe show that'd work for me like Happy sugar life, but in general I utterly despise mixing moe cute girl antics with horror.
@Anon: Its because often the time travel/reset thing is used in those stories as an extra lives/chances cheat.
I can agree that, largely, avoiding a genre or style you dont like is fine. It just means you will miss the occasional exception. Because there is always an exception that fits the mold, but is good enough you enjoy it anyways.

Like im not normally a fan of rom-coms or melodrama, but I enjoyed Toradora. Never would have watched it under normal circumstances either
@Aidan, Well Evangelion was a bad example as I had read a bit of the manga version at one point.
A better example would have been Steins Gate which I avoid for the simple reason that time travel stories annoy me, especially if they involve changing the past.
Thing is though, I don't agree that this is any different from avoiding fanservice or "standard crap", even those can surprise rarely.
There were some I knew I wouldnt like and tried anyways, like Clannad, but some that pleasantly surprised me like Space Dandy.

@Aidan, yeah. I had to experience it. I just... there was so much wrong in the episode I am having a hard time writing it up without feeling like im just ragging on it non stop
@Anon, I don't really argee with that mindset as I feel you don't really know if something is for you until you see it for yourself. Not saying you have to plough though it even if you hate it. But giving it at least one episode I think is needed. Well unless it's something like a fanservice show or standard crap.
@Lenlo, I was thinking about warning you when I seen you got excited about that but decided it would just be better to see for yourself.
Happens to me with plenty of things, for example I refuse to touch Evangelion since I know enough about it say that I have no interest.
There has to be a moment where you just accept somethings just not going to click for you.
For example I will never watch darling in the Franxx because of kill la kill.
Have you reached the point where you no longer care when you hate something popular or refuse to watch it out of sheer disinterest?
Do you all think there comes a time, where you get to where you know you don't need to even bother watching a certain show because you know yourself enough to know there is no hope it'll be your thing? To where you simply pass on it, not even watching the first episode.
@Mario: The Hanebado death stare is real, the eyes THE EYES man the eyes =O
Stupid steins; gate, why must it bully Lenlo. Although I've not watched the episode yet....am I right in saying things may be heading in the direction we feared?
*sigh* Steins;Gate physically hurt me this week. I am disappoint
In general I tend to turn my mind off to scientific inaccuracy in fiction and because honestly, I have a fairly poor memory for much of the facts.
I remember school biology classes, couldn't bring myself to cut an animal heart/frog/worm and tapped out of doing it. I remember being told, someone thinking it was all a laugh and they threw one of the hearts into a bush somewhere on the school grounds.
Then again, biology is amongst my least favorite subject :(
@Vonter: I'm still following Cells at Work but I have long since given up on making a real life connection. But let's see, i think your first statement was right but I'm not sure about the second one
I've been watching Cells at Work! And I'm not sure if I get the analogy of an allergy. The allergens makes the body counter act with a chemical that in turn makes the body over release another chemical that irritates and produces sneezes. And an steroid counteracts the allergy by breaking down in a small degree that section of they body?
Honestly, im not sure if its intentional or not, because the rest of the english in the paper is actually pretty good.
The Dairy Cod? Oh yes
Did you happen to notice the L/R error/ no differentiation in the top left screenshot in your banana fish post? Sayss Dairy Cape cod instead of daily cape cod.
*these
I keep listing to those mixtape and vaporwave things on youtube very frequently.
Oh so that was the name of that show where I saw Urasawa and Itou being interviewed.
Look up Manben on youtube. Its basically where they do an hour long episode on a Mangaka, film their process, and talk about their philosophies while making it
If your interested in the manga process
Now that I remember, there was a part where they were praying for the idols. Someone said it has become like a pseudo-religion.
I'd love to see some documentaries about anime/manga and more about Japan .
Adding to what I said though, as bad as Japans idol thing is, the music industry everywhere has its awfully sleazy side.
In a way, I sort of feel like I can't fully judge the guy who paid for 100s of idol concerts....when admittedly I've spent my fair share over the years on hentai.
I saw that documentary I talked about a few comments ago, because the post would have been 500 words long, I put it on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/D7CuaA4F
I dunno, I quite enjoy the characters. Endeavor had an arc recently that was particularly good.
Actually I want to specify on that comment, I'm not looking down on hero academia, more suggesting the broadness of its appeal.
In terms of planet with, I've only seen the first episode of it.
I have found though that Academia, much like titan, is partially an anime for people who don't watch anime.
On Hero academia, on my end it would probably be more accurate to say that its not a case of hating it, moreso not my thing.
I don't hate Hero Aca. My problem is that it really isn't doing anything new. Every beat traced from shounen legacy. It's executed well no doubt and I am sure animation wise it trumps old shounen. And if it can avoid the trap of every long running shounen of going past it's due then it could end up the most polished. But it's still a new dog doing old tricks.
But in all seriousness. Regarding Planet with, sometimes you have to care for whats been subverted before you can get anything out of the subversion.
@Aidan: If you don't like my one-liners, you should sea my ocean liners, they're practically to drown for.
On Fate GO, yeah I really think that some banners are more generous than others. Hoping the Prisma banner is generous because I need to get together the Emiya family.
Really? I quite like Hero Aca, its probably my favorite current shounen, granted this current arc isnt the best. Granted I also keep up with the manga so know how it all plays out.
And subversion in a good way. Not like Fate Extra over here which subverts expectations by having the endboss leave the show offscreen but instead subverting to keep you on your toes while keeping the satisfaction of a well conculded fight. That moment when he pulled out the clog for a finisher was unexpected, hilarious and amazing.
@Amagi, Yep. To me Boku hero is how to use tropes and settings wrong, essentially recycling them wholesale. Planet With uses them but uses them to subvert your expectations when you think things will go according to the trope but NOPE.
UGH.
I am close to banning you for that pun.
Everyone is watching planet with....
......

....WITH each other
I'm watching Planet With!
We all know the cliffhanger fight between Takashi and * +revelation of you know what wouldn't have happend before episode 10 in any other anime. This show manages the time perfectly and it doesn't feel rushed.
It's exactly how I want a show: you are allowed to use tropes and generic settings but be creative, switch the roles, turn stereotypes upside down and make every episode unique and non-repetitive. It's what this show is doing and it's doing this perfectly.
@Aidan: I love it too. I am pretty surprised how few people are watching this considering that it is still shounen'ish and how hyped Bisquithammer is.
Ehhh-? Now got summer Marie with 3 quartz in FGO and Martha with 12 a few days ago Aidan was right about the second summer rate up banner.
Such a shame that nobody seems to be watching Planet With.
Damn, Planet with pretty much concluded and there is still six episodes left. This episode was damn satisfying and it seems the training wheels are off here..
How do you expect men and women to act when they reach the end of economic growth
The idol industry is just a reflection of the broken social contract/financial repression
It'd be interesting if the documentary talks about the effect on men as well, that kind of obsession driven culture can't be healthy.
Still remember that idol (was it akb48?) who filmed herself crying on film with a shaved head because she was caught with a boyfriend
Also planning on picking up A drifting life soon, biographical manga about the 60s gekiga manga period.
Going to watch some Japanese documentary tomorrow that goes into wide detail about how terrible their idol industry is and the effect it has on women.
The only thing I really liked out of Ahin was the villain. That dude was quite intimidating, running around shooting himself every time he got tranqed.
And though I didn't mention it in the review it is rather annoying how the series shafted both Tamamo and Hakunon.
@K-Off, It was a series that had good ideas, I give it that. But it was a mighty dull watch. Some better protagonist could have helped a bit at least.
Speaking of which, I picked up an Astolfo plushie at anime expo and this alone is making me want to play FGO
Yea Ajin flows really strangely and there's really no overarching story, plus nobody has much motivation to do anything. But that's also its appeal, for people interested in an insane antagonist who wants nothing but chaos
Ah Fate Extra sounds disappointing, I STILL haven't watched any of the series and was hoping it'd be a good entry
Ajin is one of those things I just ended up completely forgetting about, although for pretty much no reason.
Also: Ajin is getting pretty freaking crazy with the recent chapters, I love how Sato is so Joker-like and he's actually succeeding at every thing he's doing
The manga is fantastic, feels pretty quaint as comedy manga go nowadays. Also the chapters flow really well with its comedic timing, love the pacing
I'm actually intending to move on to the manga sometime, as I was using the anime as an introduction/taster for it.
Yeah I find Grand Blue just isn't working for me like the manga did. I feel like it needed better animation and a better director. I thought the Gintama director would do good but didn't take into account that with such a long running series he's likely accustomed to doing comedy within a small budget.
Feels like manga with great comedic timing don't translate very well animated, or maybe it's because I've already read the same joke before the adaptation
Woops forgot i wasn't logged in on mobile
So far in the season pretty sad to see Grand Blue not living up to the manga
(i also updated my email on my profile, if you need me for anything let me know there)
Ahaha nah, its the real McCoy, last time we talked was about the backend server iirc
...hmmm is this a fake Psgels situation I wonder.
Ive been too hooked on Azur Lane lately
Hello everyone, feels like its been a while!
Budget really shows in grand blue now, I wasn't really into the first half of this episode, but by the second half it got me laughing again.
@Lenlo: Including shots AT Mayuri =)
And yet, somehow I will find a way to someway forgive the show as hard as I can be on it I can never be 100% mad at the series.
And if it cops out with Mayuri's death, I agree. I wont be happy
@Kaiser, I mean, there are OTHER Mayuri shots I could have posted this week
Godammit Kana Hanazawa, just destroy me already OWO;;;
Be sure to skip past the credits in this weeks satsuriku no tenshi as there's a scene after them. Also Btfo Cathy, this was the part in the manga where I was surprised what Rachael and Zack did in this episode.
@Lenlo: Posting those shots of best girl looking sad =<.
@Lenlo: I'm being cynical about it because I don't want to be overly disappointed is such a cop-out occurred.
And it would probably bother me somewhat if the show decided to cop-out.
As much as I got the feels from that final scene with Mayuri and yes, I would, for the sake of drama, wish for it to remain that way. I'm not entirely convinced that the series won't pull a convenient twist to cancel it out, even though now it seems impossible.
@anon: Shinsekai sorayori shiratori.
sora yori
Lentahlo? Ill take it
@Mario: Apparently this guy gets compared to Wong-Kar-Wai: https://letterboxd.com/director/lou-ye-1/
>Lenlo-tahlo
>Revolutionary girl Utensil
>Obersteins; Gate ;)
*all
And the modern setting rears its head, filthy iphone in muh Bananna fish.
Also its ll out on the table now, regarding banana fish itself, the series continues to connect everything together quite well.
And I felt the so far, the combining bleakness and the violence was at its best here so far. One of the kills being particularly cold.
Even though criticized for being too much of a Chinese stereotype Yau-say (or however you spell it) was still one of the more developed villains in banana fish, he'll be appearing soon. I love how this series never lingers and with only a few scenes between Jim and Ash we don't need tonnes of infodump/flashbacks to get their relation to each other across.
I don't even consider most of what the academy worship to even be real films.
Not as if it makes that much of a difference. The Oscars are already a joke.
It's so absurd it feels unreal. Just a desperate attempt from the Academy to pander the mass. Duh
@Mario: I thought that wasn't real at first.
The Oscar just announced a brand new category this year: Best Popular Film. Holy cow. They want to become another MTV awards? Can't take them serious anymore
Oh thank goodness, Steins;Gate 0 has finally committed.
I had this stupid idea when I was a kid of Robotnick swinging bowser around like he does with that ball and chain thing in Sonic ones Green hill boss fight.
I wonder if Boss Rush returns given the stage the Rathalos was shown doesn't have anything. Also that segment with Dracula also didn't had the platforms and the stage looked flat. If that's the case I hop Eggman and Dr. Wily get a chance to be bosses.
Smash games regardless of look and modes always feel different. Each version feels a bit different.
I use Kirby in 64. Samus in Melee. Metaknight and ROB in Brawl and I'm playing more with Dark Pit and Palutena in Smash 4.
>Want to play as Dracula
> Can't
> OmO
I think we all disliked the scrolling stages though, it always felt like being killed by the level.
I remember my brother and friends wouldn't let the items be turned on though =<
Being able to use the miis was kind of cool, my brother made an IRA Mii and Gerry Adams one.
My brother always used mewtwo, wolf, falco or fox . Friends would always play as link or Kirby.
I remember douchey players exploiting DKs grab moves to walk off screen with them.
Smash bros N64: I always played as luigi or DK
Melee: Either Marth, Roy or Ike
Brawl: Lucina or Marth.
That said, chances are there will be more Smash games but this game won't be topped. It's got pretty much every character wanted, most if not all of the stages and them quailty of life improvements and new modes look damn sick. Give it a story/single player and it's prefect.
@Anon, It truly is Smash Bros ultimate. With Smash 4 the series had pretty much reached the highest it could. Graphics can;'t really get better, Mecanhics are fine tuned to perfect and pretty much can only add stages and characters to it. Smash Ultimate honestly feels like a swan song of the series taking everything great and putting it in one package.
What's up with all series ending in a cliffhanger this week
I just don't know how much more they could add to Smash Bros. Other than some sort of story mode. 71 characters, 103 stages, over 800 songs. It's just too much. I don't know if a videogame could ever be tapped in terms of valuable content, but it feels this game is getting closer and closer to doing so.
Bout to watch it. Hoping it keeps everything up
The episode was fairly free of antics.
Steins;gate 17: Mayuri gets brought up to speed, Leskinen (pressumably) makes his move involving Amadeus , also *feelsfistclench*
@Kaiser: Planning on reading SnT as well, but most likely after the anime has ended. There is also an untranslated LN as far as I know.
@Aidan: ha, got Martha Ruler now at least (30 sq/10 tickets). Will either stop now or use ~20 other quartz at best so she's probably my only summer servant. I liked her the most though.
Huh. Odd to see anime adaption that uses LN designs and realizing "Huh. Manga version of designs was much better than original LN"
Looking back, I never finished Ai yori aoshi, last exile, Eureka 7 or Shangri-la , I'm thinking of rewatching last exile which I dropped halfway through when I was a teenager, I never saw the sequel. Part of me wants to give it a second chance.
What I read does explain itself.
I ended up deciding to read the manga adaptation of satsuriku no tenshi, 8 volumes if you include the prequel. I like the art style more in the manga, the manga also adds some small backstory scenes not in the anime. The main bad guy will probably show up in a few episodes. I won't say anything but I was surprised by three scenes the anime hasn't gotten to yet.

Banana Fish – 7 [The Rich Boy]

This is it, this is what I needed this week. Banana Fish has become my weekly dose of great drama. This week we meet up with Max’s family, Shorter learns just how terrible gangs are, and we meet a new villain. Lets jump in! Starting off with the general stuff, what blew me away the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 18 [Altair of Translational Symmetry -Translational Symmetry-]

This must be what a disappointed father feels like. You want to believe the best, but they just keep letting you down. This week, Steins;Gate 0 has let me down. Hard. Lets jump in. So, where to begin. First off, once again, Steins;Gate 0 proves its not an action series. So many still shots and […]

Planet With – 05/06[Paladin Break 1/Paladin Break 2]

Well that’s the end of Planet With and what a satisfying ending it was. I mean that final fight was something that would do Gurren Lagann proud and while there are some loose ends the majority of things were tied up quite nice…what do you mean this is only episode six? Hold on, there are […]

Hanebado! – 07 [I’ll Mop the Floor With Her]

I was wrong. I don’t enjoy this dead-eye expression of Ayano at all. It feels as though we’re watching a completely different Ayano characters compared to the first few episodes. That just means in no way I’m identified with this anti-hero version of Ayano. Again, I understand the intention. Ayano has that unhealthy obsession of […]

Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight – 05 [Is Sparkle Even Possible]

Revue Starlight is back to business this week with its bizarrely entertaining duel. In a way, this duel is a long way coming as this is one of the development I expected to happen sooner or later. What I didn’t expect, however, is the overall light-hearted tone with cartoonish paper cut-out design and Mahiru -Karen […]

Banana Fish – 6 [My Lost City]

Banana Fish, Banana Fish, does whatever a crime drama does. Drives a van, shoots a father-figure, lookout its Banana Fish. Simpson’s references aside, this week Banana Fish gives us a dark look into Ash’s past and both starts and completes our road trip. Lets jump in! Starting off, this week was probably the weakest so far […]

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro – 06 [Everyone’s Own Path – Chio-chan Eludes]

Chio-chan… well… doesn’t go well this week. Not necessary because of the reappearance of crash fanservice gags – which for now I pretty much roll with, but because it’s a replication of Chio-chan’s previous (and better) segments. It adds up with the fact that both segments this week feel longer than they needed be. Take […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 11-13[Resurrected Sword of Victory – Excalibur Galatine -/Turner of the Wheel – Chakravartin -]

It’s been a while but the final episodes of Fate/Extra are out and I thought that I couldn’t really add anything to what I previously said about this series. The last three episodes did nothing to change my opinion on the series as a whole, if anything it solidified my previous opinion and pretty much […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 17 [Altair of the Hyperbolic Plane -Beltrami Pseudosphere-]

Finally, Steins;Gate 0 has fully committed. There’s no going back from here. This week we have the continued fallout of episode 16, Daru being a good father, and a Mayurii sized dose of suffering. Buckle in, because this is a long one. Lets jump in! First, some obvious stuff. Steins;Gate 0 continues to not be […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]

Hisone to Masotan (2018 Spring) Review – 73/100

Coming off as one of my most anticipated anime out of this last Spring Season, based solely on staffs involved alone – after all, an original anime written by Mari Okada and produced by Bones (which I regarded as one of the best anime studio working right now) – I can’t help but feel let […]

Megalo Box – 86/100

Ah boxing, the quintessential manly man sport of beating each other unconscious. In anime, the sport was first forged in the fires of Ashita no Joe, and some would say later perfected by Hajime no Ippo. Both fantastic series in their own right. Both filled to the brim with epic clashes of wills, phenomenal characters and […]

Legends of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These Anime Review – 80/100

This is a remake of a series made way back when which is one of the most highly acclaimed anime in the medium. It is of legendary status but you would be hard pressed to recommend it as to many the barrier of entry is too high to consider. A 110 episode OVA with dated […]

Hinamatsuri (2018 Spring) Review – 79/100

Comedy anime doesn’t always yell out confidence, so imagine our hype when there’s one that been on everyone’s lips since the manga come out, Hinamatsuri. The show starts with simple premise: a girl with supernatural power unexpectedly drops into the house of a yakuza, hilarity ensues. This concept sums up very well the source humors […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]