Posted by SuperMario on 19 December 2017 with categories: Currently Watching:, Houseki no Kuni

With “Secrets”, Phos’ now in the middle of “loss of innocence” personal crisis. Well, they did reach that stage when Phos’ suffering over Antarc’s loss (in which he still hallucinates about Antarc’s present even now. Good job, Houseki), but in this episode, it comes to full force. Phos starts to break their trust towards Kongou-sensei, their teacher plus father figure (“breaking” in both metaphorical sense and visual motif). Not without a good reason though as the formidable beast (turns into fluffy harmless puppies this week, but that’s for later paragraph), as soon as he meets Kongou-sensei, he comes and greets him like a dog meets his old master. Kongou-sensei even plays several tricks and calls him by his name, with a manner that even closer and sincerer than with the Gems himself. Only Phos overhears his conversation. And only Phos, and Cinnabar to an extend (great choice of costumes there as only Phos and Cinnabar still wear the same old uniform instead of the new Spring uniform like the rest of the Gems, signify that they are different than the rest of the Gems), have that real suspicion about their Sensei. For others, that suspicion is like a moral code they don’t dare to cross, but Phos’ willing to cross it as their next move is to willingly be taken to the Moon so that they can learn about the Moon’s side of the coin. A promising adventure that will become a central plot thread for the second season, if one ever comes at all.

For me, it all makes sense regarding how Kongou-sensei has established a long history with the Lunarians from way, way back. I have tackled this before but Kongou remains an exception of the rules about the Houseki’s world so far. He’s the closest to “Human” to that world, the combination of both Flesh (gender-specific), Bone (he can crush everything) and Soul (all the Gems and what-seem-like all the Lunarians worship him). He obviously has something in mind to run things the way it is now, and that might not for the benefits of the Gems. The way he withholds many information about the Lunarians and the way he knows almost everything all suggest that he’s the mastermind behind this world, and at this rate I suspect that he will be the last person standing when Phos continues to transform themselves and learn all the answers.

Leave aside all the seriousness, never in my wildest dream that I could anticipate Shiro, the scary beast last week, turns out to be so cute, kawaii and fluffy like this. Or even the Gems steal their scenes by comedically stay true/ break a bit of their characters. Tale Alex/Lexa for example, who would’ve thought as soon as they look at the Lunarians, they turn into a maniac killing machine? Or Bort who enjoyed fighting so much couldn’t dare to hit those puppies? Or the first reaction Dia has when they wake up was upset because they didn’t have a chance to play with those puppies? I tell ya, they will fall head over heel if they ever watch a moe anime. How Houseki fuse seamlessly between thrilling action from last week and screwball misadventure this week without losing a hair of their identity is beyond me. For all the comedic tone this episode establishes, most of them work very well. What doesn’t work well, however, is the unnecessary Rutile – Padparadscha story that feel way too abrupted and way too late in the game. I admit I mildly interested in Rutile’s obsession of bringing the old Gem back to life, and the visuals are striking, but for the character that we haven’t heard once before, at the second last episode of this cour, in addition with Phos’ ongoing conflict on top of it, that shift is a total whiplash. It might work better in the manga version since there will be a progression to this Papparadscha character, but as the one-cour anime I would look for a tighter story because simply we don’t have much time to tell everything. Houseki, learn to cut off some parts of your body and patch it up somewhere more useful.

1. Strength says:

First there was punipuni. Then there was fuafua. Then Houseki was born. What is next? Flying buddhists, talking snails, booby octopuses, screaming ice floes, Pretty-Cure, sleepwalking & hibernation, punipuni golden arms and fuafua Moon doggies, this show has it all, body horror, body humor, you name it.

Even when it is so over the top, Houseki no Kuni remains very streamlined and in character, never calling for attention. It firmly established itself as a show of unlimited surprises. It manages to glue together fairly disparate genres/tones and I think we can conclude by now that this is in essence the personality of the show. Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio comes to my mind again.

Anyway, awesome episode. So much good stuff. My favorite moments were:

1 serious: Phos meeting Antark in the super-dimensional geometry space-time. Such multi-faceted scene!
    – it starts with Phos’ conflict depicted through hesitation to ask the one question, which runs deep into Phos’ identity crysis, fueled by Antark’s death
    – continues with stopped time, which symbolizes its introspective and self-reflective purpose
    – the scene transition is perfect. Because everything is still, camera movement is emphasized as it does 180 around Phos in the center, confused, in the middle of it all, distant from everyone, drowned in own desparation, trying to reach out. The colors change between warmth of the coziness of everyone sleeping together and cold of alien geometrical spiral of pain, at the end of which
    – there is Antark standing, a silent reminder, badass and lonely, observing Phos’ struggle
    – Antark offers but a single hint. Uses the exact same gesture as before in completely different context, very effectively connecting his (its) strict personality, the moment of death, the lingering effect on Phos, and his answer regarding the question of sensei’s loyalty
    – Antark crumbles again! Its devastating each and every time…
    – Phos drops the boots, perhaps symbolizes how Phos keeps chasing ghosts instead of reality?
    – musiiiiiiic

“Returning to Moon?” “No, it appears it has found its peace” Phos asks bluntly, no hesitation. And sensei answers honestly. Very powerful. Phos’ reaction to this appears incredibly sad to me, translating to “how can death ever be a good thing?”. I surmise death to be the ultimate theme of the show and that Lunarians are souls, i.e. dead remains of people that can not find peace so they chase gems to attain/maintain life instead of accepting their fate and vanish. This juxtaposes the immortal Gems that miss something integral, living, but not nearly enough and treating death lightly.

2 humorous: Jade stuck under Shiro’s feet, reaching for help. Jade is my most favorite (side-)character for me – the ultimate amalgamation of taking itself seriously and utterly failing – nicely impersonating the nature of the show. Jade is the ultimate moe…

Dia’s reaction to missing out on fuafua indeed does deserve a special mention. She is such a treasure, expressive and cute, hugging the fluffy imitation to death in eternal joy.

anime_is_saved/10

“Houseki, learn to cut off some parts of your body and patch it up somewhere more useful.”
    I disagree. I dont care about the 12-ep format. i’d rather have a non-existent ending than inconsistencies. S2 can always be made, inconsistencies will always remain and I hate ending for the sake of having an ending or shifting arcs around. The show should have the balls to not compromise even at the cost. Like Aku no Hana, screw the haters, its great. People expecting proper 1st episode, proper fanservice episode, proper ending and proper whatever from even shows that clearly were not made for it are only putting more pressure on the creators that then bend their creations into mainstream rubbish. I never expected big reveals about gem identity in S1 and am not terribly interested in this Kongo sensei lied to us plot thread. Id rather this be continued in S2 (or never) and see dazzling Padparadscha, jealous Dia or competitive Borth instead.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

You said it. Body horror, body humor, body comfort. Let’s not forget Super Saiyan hair color-changing too and 101 Dalmoonarians. One thing I just noticed just now is that the total number of those Moon puppies was 108, which has long been considered a sacred number in Buddhism.

I love that scene where Phos hallucinates about Antarc as well. In the manga it’s a striking panel, but in the anime it works by panning around Phos. Yep the music, color and Antarc’s gesture are too on point that it’s devastating.

For humorous choice, I love the whole sequence. From Phos’ alloy decoy, Jade under Shiro’s feet like you mentioned, and especially the Gem with black hair who try to cover their skirt and said “ecchi”, because obviously Gems don’t have genital part or even wear any underwear so why bother covering!!

Well, I share your sentiments about being consistent but in truth, 70% shows out there that just end in the middle of desert road and never see the day of light for sequel, and that frustrate me to no end. I’m the dude who believe every work should have conclusive ending (and that’s why I’m willing to watch shows till the end) so I care about the ending point that could make me feel satisfied.

Another Flowers of Evil’s supporter? I read the whole story and the more I read, the more I was impressed at the decision to stop the first cour right there. But its biggest crime lies in the fact that (again) we never see more of the story in anime form and we have no one but ourselves to blame for. READ ON THE MANGA GUYS!!!!!!!

• Strength says:

Didn’t catch the number 108. interesting. I also didn’t notice how Phos and Cinnabar were the only ones in standard uniforms (until I read your post).

Yeah shows nowadays tend to simply not end and disappear, but I don’t know. Just trying to get your perspective here: Is the ending some magical part which determines how good all the previous episodes were? I never understood how the ending can ‘ruin’ a show either. Why does Aku no Hana anime need an ending (when it is only a part of the story) If they split Naruto into cours, would you want ending for each of them?

So the way I approach this is to see the anime (adapting part of something) as a projection of that part, where ending would become an artificial change detracting from the continuity. If the anime does not continue, its sad, but better than have it changed only to fit some arbitrary number of episodes. Just pick up the manga or something? Latest offender for me is Gintama, its current arc adapts (I hear) chapters from before an already adapted arc. They switched the order and it immediately caused tonal problems (too many serious arcs in a row). For me, this is a grave sin, not lack of an ending that wasn’t supposed to be there to begin with. I feel like I’m in a minority though.

PS:
        Yeah Aku no Hana manga is great, I’m definitely rereading it soon. I love the anime too though, its great, including the last ep. I rewatched it just few days ago! ++ for the authors having the balls… They literally wanted to make an impact, screw the sales.
        Aku no Hana is one of those rare works where both source material and adaptation leverage their respective medium and reach a great height, each on their own, despite being the same on paper. I have yet to read Houseki, but I guess its the same there, right?

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

Let me put it this way, every work should have a proper ending planned out right when they start it. It is because every story need a direction, thus knowing your destination, you can pave the road with plot points, foreshadowing, visual motifs, whatever. I’m much more used to the cinema medium where “having a proper ending planned out” is pretty much the norm. But in TV shows, manga and anime medium this is not always the case, usually it’s more about having an interesting premise that hook the audience and they only have vague sense of what the ending will be like. Anime medium is the worse since most of the time it is the way to promote the franchise, the manga and we have to wait for years for a sequel with lesser shows, so at least as in customer’s point of view I’d want something conclusive to ease my mind when it ends abruptly.

But think about it: when adapting a manga or whatever source it’s still in anime medium, and sometimes they need to make change and take artistic liberty to make it more appropriate in anime form. And I happen to consider condensing the material in order to best tell the story in 12 episodes a part of it. I would rather prefer the staff mixing the content a bit (like in Haruhi’s case) rather than adapting chapter by chapter (like 3-gatsu) because sometimes it doesn’t work in anime form. Houseki fortunately doesn’t have this issues though.

And of course, this is just my perspective on the issues and not a jab against your points because I can totally see where you come from.

I wrote a 4000 words essay rambling about the universe of Flowers of Evil before (http://psgels.net/2016/09/21/closer-look-flowers-evil/) so you know I’m madly addicted to the show and the manga. If I have to choose which version I prefer I’d go with the manga, with all due respect to the anime version. I have yet to watch Houseki’s manga either apart from comparing some parts from manga and anime but yeah I would definitely think it’s the same case there.

• Strength says:

We have a different approach to the problem with seasons and cours with anime adaptations, but it’s fine. I take no issue with this, no need to get defensive.

I’ll read your post. I’m glad to meet fellow AnH fan! I’d also go with manga, but manga almost always wins for me, as the detailed art captures many nuances that anime can not. But I love the anime too!

• Strength says:

PS: Excuse my brevity, but clearly there is not enough room for continuing our exchange…

2. Amagi says:

Regarding Padparadscha: it’s like you said, it ties in seamlessly into the ongoing manga story and the anime is just adapting everything pretty faithfully. Maybe including Pad suggest that they’re at least considering the possibility of a second season so they rather choose to include everything, even if it might seem weird as a season’s end, over skipping things to make a better anime finale but getting problems afterward, in case that there might be a second season. Who knows.

The problem is that the manga is very condensed regarding story and progress. So skipping Padparadscha now would lead to a lot of problems, since Phos is supposed to talk to them next chapter/episode and, like everything Phos does, it influences their future behavior. So skipping this would only work if they’d make the last episode fully original with some one-episode adventure I guess.

tl;dr Just give us season 2 please

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

It’s a relief to know that Pad will be relevant in the next episode, because otherwise I’d consider his appearance one of the show’s flaws.

Yep, season 2 is a MUST.

I just learned to accept Zombieland Saga again after the fuckup since episode three since some of the following episodes were pretty good despite the idol stuff and being rather formularic, both the last two killed my hopes yet again and not hoping for too much considering the problem of the latest episode isn't fully solved yet.
I dropped Uma Musume after five minutes
Animosh
@Kaiser: Shoko's arc will apparently be covered in the upcoming movie. The remaining episodes will only focus on Kaede.
Anonymous3197172
Unlike Uma though, Zombieland doesn't have Granblue codes in the BDs this time, so it might not reach those same sales heights. Makes you wonder if Uma did well in Japan solely because of the codes.
Anonymous3197172
Granted, like Zombieland Saga, I didn't hate it. But unlike Zombieland where it became what it purported to parody, this was exactly what I was expecting it to be. Safe and really dull.
Anonymous3197172
And to top it off, they included SSR codes for Granblue with the BDs of the series as a form of cross-promotion. That managed to maximize sales for the series. Not even Zombieland Saga was this obviously safe.
Anonymous3197172
Let's see, it's a sports anime complete with the stereotypes you'd expect, a CGDCT show, a moe anthropomorphism series where the horses are girls, and an idol series with most of the trademarks of that genre (yuri undertones, banal songs, creepy fanservice, etc.) and it's a mobile game adaptation to boot.
Anonymous3197172
Of all the shows I watched this year, Uma Musume was probably the safest, most conservative show that I've ever seen this year which took the least risks, and threw in everything they could in the hopes of maximizing blu-ray sales. It's saving grace is P.A. Works' animation, but that's to be expected with even their worst shows.
I haven’t watched the latest one yet but isn’t it a bit too... quick?
What the hell? Only one episode and BF already wiped out 3 bad men?
Unrelated, but I wish more ecchi/hentai genuinely tried to mix in emotions and sensuality even into the more fetishist stuff. I like everything to be y'know sad and stuff.
Seeing that bastard get it in banana fish is so satisfying.
I still wish this show had 24 episodes.
I don't think there's enough time for Shoko's arc though and this episode was rushed.
*in bunny-senpai
Oh my God I wanna save the sister bunny-sepai =<
Anonymous3196773
All 3 of BF devil trio are out :) Now we have to deal with Foxx as final boss though? Not sure about that
@Vonter: I enjoyed what I read of gunsmith cats but I've only read parts of it, not the whole thing, I also saw its prototype riding bean which was schlocky fun.
@Vonter: I'm honestly not sure. But I'll say this, wasn't there some campaign to get a new gunsmith cats anime out?
Animosh
I wonder where they're going with Yut Lung though. I expected Ash to kill him in a mad fury over what happened to Eiji, but his conversation with Blanca (about finding love instead of being ruled by anger and hatred) suggests that some kind of redemption may lie in store for him.
@Kaiser-Eoghan How is it compared to Gunsmith Cats?
Animosh
I knew Banana Fish wouldn't go through with Eiji's death. But hey, at least it looks like Golzine is finally dead! Although I really wish someone with more of a history with him had done the deed. Or you know, someone with some actual personality. Foxx is such a lame blend of villain tropes I wish he would die already. If he really ends up as the final boss of the series I'd be pretty disappointed
@Vonter: Its possibly because its so old. As for myself I've only seen the first series and read a few volumes of the manga, what I followed was largely episodic.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It isn't as heavily marketed, I wasn't aware there were that many. It's this a niche series?
@Vonter: There are several films live action and animated and three anime series based on it.
The new City Hunter movie looks great. It seems to have buddy cop vibe. Were there only OVAs or did this manga ever got a TV series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFrmaZa1OY
Animosh
Oh right, that makes sense. Heh.
Ha, you merged his names.
Ah, that is the curse of watching an episode a week, forgetting things like that, can't believe I couldn't remember that.
Animosh
Eh, Kurahara. Where did I even get that name from.
Animosh
@Lenlo: he's a reporter. He's one of the people interviewing Fujioka in episode 7 (or more precisely, he's watching him being interviewed). He also seems to notice Kakeharu then.
@Lenlo: Or maybe a washed up former runner from years ago?
Im sad Kaze Fui has a 3 week break, but cant wait for January now. As for the guy at the end, I want to say he is probably a reporter of some kind? Kurahara was a good runner in highschool and seemingly quit, yet is now running for a no-name team. Thats a scoop
It was pretty tense actually.
I didn't cry during that scene in made in abyss, you know the one where riko freaks out, the arm scene. But it was somewhat stressful.
I haven't come across ojisama to neko. Perhaps I'll read a few chapters of it.
Hope they will do a first season of it by turning it into a 5 minute anime now. I mean it has an old man who tries to be the best father for his pet and it has a CAT, what else does a series need to be successful in the age of the internet?
I didn't know Ojisama to Neko was a hit. The series is so cute that every harmless piece of seriousness makes you feel like crying, it's pretty good but didn't expect it to be popular. Seems like it sells around 350k copies.
There are so many movies or anime that kill tons of characters and throw in even more tons of cry scene and I am still unable to feel anything.
MIA showed that it is always about how you depict a death scene and not so much about what's actually happening. I usually want to be sad whenever I am supposed to feel sad but it doesn't work. I had to cry during the MiA scene though even though it was "just" about some kind of pet, because that character lost her humanity long ago and suffered, so death was actually a good thing here. But still.
I guess we'll have to wait three weeks for the second cour to find out.
I really wonder who that guy at the end was though. He seems to have some beef with Kakeru judging by that look.
Man, seems like the next episode of Kaze ga won't air until January 8. I was really getting invested in their continued training, even through rough weather this episode.
@Mario: Although definitely different and admire it for that, the stage like aesthetic of dogville didn't work for me. He did do comedies though such as boss of it all, the idiots and some of Kingdom .
@Mario: I always thought he could have fleshed out the first half of melancholia more, but it really gets going in the second when she really starts re-lapsing, I loved that part.
@Mario: You gave dancer in the dark 4 stars though.
My favorites are Breaking the Waves (although I do need to rewatch it), and Melancholia (mostly because there's a hint of hope at the end). Dancer in the Dark is so stupid I freaking hate it. Dogville, AntiChrist are depressing and Shia Labeouf and the ending kill Nympho for me
@Kaiser: can't wait to see the House that Jack Built, although no release date here yet. Lars Von Trier is like depressing drugs. His stuffs are goddamn depressing
@Kaiser: she was like "omg MARIO, you're serious crying while watching a TV show?" well, she invaded my privacy and still had the guts to say that huh?
@Mario: Matt Dillon is great in it.
@Mario: Also, I saw the new Von Trier film, the horror one House that Jack built, its an acid black farce comedy that never takes away from the darker elements of it or the violence, even if it isn't as violent as people are saying. I loved it, even if it went off on tangents sometimes. My favourites by him are this, boss of it all, dancer in the dark and especially antichrist.
*their
@Mario: What was there reaction out of curiousity?
*Catch me right at the act
And visually it is immersive.
Made in abyss does depend currently on what its second season will deliver and it does start out in a way that you kind of need to make it passed the first few episodes to really get into it. But it flows better than the manga and THAT scene in the middle and Nanachi's backstory elevate the series to a higher level.
BabyMario as in like super Mario world 2 =O
=O BabyMario
True (shameful) story: when I watched the finale of Made in Abyss, my housemate opened the door to ask me sth and she saw me sobbing like a baby
Made in Abyss was really damn good
Sash
I just recently watched Made in Abyss.... and i cried real hard. I was worried that this story was going down the loli route at first... but how this show frightened me... and how it pulled at my heartstrings at the end.
Also being immortal would meant that I finally had enough time to finish all the games and series I am interested in.
@Kaiser: the hate against immortality is overrated, I would totally be okay with observing history for centuries.
@Kaiser: yeah, it’s supposed to be the final one that closes the whole franchise
Theres going to be another euphonium movie next year.
I say sit back and just let it wash over you if you get on board with its slow rhythm.
The soundtrack is pretty understated aswell.
Also quite naturalistic in how it uses/animates movements/body language.
I do wish that it went further than baiting the audience though.
*is in
I watched liz and the bluebird, the storybook segements give the film a certain magical feel to it, even if they feel obvious and on the nose, what this film achieves if in its silent, quiet and visual exposition rather than spoken words, its also more sensitive and low key than Euphonium.
Gah, one of the gutting things about being into historical stuff or stuff about things that happened decades ago, is that I'll never be a direct witness to it as it happened. It'll never hit me as someone who lived through it. I having all the fun second hand.
Thanks, Amagi. They look pretty cool
Why would I waste my time watching other people shopping or working. Not to mention that the scripted part turns everything worse than it usually is by shoving in terrible cringy moments everywhere to.. don't know. Entertain(?) the audience or something.
I mean unless you want info dumps you watch fiction and you watch that because it makes you indirectly experience adventures you can't have in real life. Even when fiction is down to earth it's usually about special situations like the MC becoming a professional runner like in Kaze ga or something.
@Kaiser: Me neither, especially because it seems to be the exact opposite of the reason why people consume media, and therefore fiction, in the first place.
They probably used these in Irozuko because they look like're part of some J-RPG town.
@Amagi: I never really understood why reality television ever became a thing or how someone could give it any form of attention.
Seems like they even have a wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo
@SuperMario: It's some specific type of house that only exist in Apulia. https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-437617-146.jpg - the whole historic disctrict looks like that
I shouldn't use so many brackets.
Trulli? What does that mean?
We have all kinds of international film festivals here. I watched Roma in the Latin Film Festival. Yeah that aspect I mus say that I feel lucky
There are Trulli in one scene of this week's Irozuko (after they entered that painting), how funny. I just visited this city (Alberobello) last month.
@Mario: You are lucky, Roma gets a one day limited release here for one time.
@Aidan: Just imagine going to the west of Ireland and asking them about the internet.
Yes there are people turning up to the one art cinema we actually have. But Ireland is not a good place to be in general if you are a film/anime/gaming fan.
lol this country is incapable of giving a proper wide/long cinema release to anything that might even be considered slight non-mainstream.
*week-long
Well, we have a week-log screening here and I already lament how undeserving these films have. Guess I should be more appreciate now I know that other countries have 1-day screening only
I wonder if anyone started out in the light novel industry as a stepping stone before moving on to real book writing. I also wonder how easy it is to get published.
Progressive is good from what I heard since he went back to his older material from a more mature outlook. Ordinal Scale is decent too coming from the same matured Kawahara.
Sometimes there are re-showings, some cinemas will play Akira for the billionth time for example.
I imagine seeing scenes like that being recorded in the recording booth would look quite strange.
Apparently, he even apologized to the voice actress for being subjected to voice a rape scene, so I guess even he has deep regrets about it. The LN doesn't have any more moments like this so I guess he matured a lot.
@Anon: The problem is that he was still a teen when he wrote Alicization, he just edited it a bit later. But I also wish he would have cut this scene, it's always so forced and feels so stupid.
Pancreas has no subs yet AFAIK
Ugh, ep10 of Alicinization reminded me why I disliked SAO so much years ago. I assume Kawahara still had some nasty tendencies in him when writing Alicinization despite being past his edgy teenage phase.
@Kaiser: It's the same here too. One day screenings and that's it. I also believe that anime are made for everyone it's just that the West (save for France and Italy maybe) doesn't give anime a chance. They are sure people would never care so they rather die or air the same awful scripted reality show for the 5th time rather than try showing anime that could appeal to adults like Monster.
The anon might want to watch that though, a torrent of it recently got uploaded.
Also Let me eat your pancreas wasn't shown here. But it was shown in Australia.
Although there are some films that America gets that we don't, the Heavens feel, the Madoka movies and Nanoha reflection showed in America but not here.
@SuperMario: That would be great.
Anime films seem to appeal to normies aswell.
I saw an older woman in my screening of Maquia and talked to her after it and she liked it.
Again, I don't know about elsewhere, but what surprised me was the amount of people who are seeing these in the audience who don't actually come off as anime fans and probably aren't.
But I'm genuinely surprised that my country would actually even go that far to even show them.
I don't know about all the other countries that get showings for these anime films, but here its a one day only thing each time one comes out.
Reviewig anime movies/ making posts about them might be something I can do in the future
@amagi: anime movies are somethingn I wanna raise more awareness as well. Normally each year there are 4,5 solid anime films out there, but like you said they’re hardly discussed
I've never heard of UFO no natsu.
I felt bad for the little girl in grave of the fireflies, the boy was already caught up though in "muhfascistempire is goat tier" for me to care about him as much as her.
The Air movie was more focused, better paced and visually directed with more panache than the show.
@Amagi: I have gone to almost every anime screening since the early 2000s and continue to.
And many have barely any sort of advertising so I only notice them coincidentally by seeing a thread on /a/ or because I see some screenshot somewhere.
Speaking of it there are so many great anime movies every year but nobody ever talks about them because the fans are split between those who see the screenings (that happen randomly depending on the country) and those who watch it a year later on their PC.
I also found Hotori sad but it's ages old and I never met anyone who cared about it besides myself. Also, Hanbun no Tsuki and UFO no natsu although these were 6 part ova. Colourful probably too and the Key movies. I actually like all these movies like Air or Clannad but I didn't like the series that much.
I think ultimately its the patience some of these sad films are made with that allows then to eventually land their effect.
SuperWooper
It takes a while to get to that point, though.
SuperWooper
"The Wind Rises" is pretty damn sad.
Well, Grave of Fireflies hands down. or Your Lie in April if you don't mind TV show
Then basically everything from Shinkai for example.
@Anon: You may need to let us now what type of drama you're into, are you okay with highly melodramatic stories?
if so anybody have any good sad anime movies?
anybody here?
The more we approach xmas time the more it rains in my city. Like every year.
Didn't know that guess I try this someday I love this setting.
The most recent thing I've watched dealing with a created/artificial/virtual world was an old German mini series called World on a wire by Rainer Fassbinder.
Wonder about the consequences these last scenes in Gridman will have.
@Mario: I finally got around to Aki Kaurasamaki's films, watched I hired a contract killer, I like dry, sad bastard black humour like that and even when it wasn't being amusing I enjoyed the whole quirky tone throughout it.
I decided to watch season 2 of sound euphonium before getting to liz and the bluebird. I would like to see more of this. I guess I liked Asuka's arc.
I think bloom into you has stood out in how its dealt with Nanami's insecurities and backstory, found myself liking that one side character Sayaka more. There will be an arc where they do some kind of play which compliments/links in well with nanami's character.
Animosh
But yeah, I agree the series has great character writing. In hindsight, it's kind of a shame you picked Irozuku over Bloom into You. It had a great premiere and some stunning scenes, but the characters are so incredibly droll that there's just not much to write about. They're both slow burns, but Bloom into You gives you much more to think about.
Animosh
So I think the crossing the line thing is ambiguous between your interpretation and Yuu's subconscious fear that if she initiates things, displays her affection towards Nanami (and a passionate kiss that Yuu initiates certainly seems to qualify), then that will be the end of things. Actually, it's probably a bit of both.
Animosh
@SuperMario: I think Yuu is also aware that Nanami does not want Yuu to fall in love with her (I mean, it's hard not to after that death stare). And as a result she can never initiate things, because showing affection would undermine the whole reason Nanami fell in love with her. And Yuu obviously does not want this relationship to end.
Did uh that really happen in BF? Probably not, but dang if that really was the case then stuff got real
@Animosh: the thing is Yuu takes the special attraction from Nanami for granted, and her mode is that she “doesn’t hate” it. She doesn’t hate it when she spends time alone with Nanami, she doesn’t hate it when they kiss. So for Yuu, when Nanami askes her to actively do it, it’a the first time Yuu feels like she’s crossing the line. Some really great character writing there
It boils down to a female-targeted version of those moe shows that I don't care about all that much. Just replace the cute girls with hot boys.
Compared to Katsugeki, where it tried to sell the series as something more than just a mobile adaptation and tried to court non-fans, here I got exactly what I expected; something safe and predictable, and catering exclusively to fans. So I got nothing out of it.
Is there some sort of moe equivalent for male characters? Because this show probably counts as one. otoh, my feelings towards it are like most CGDCT anime: indifference.
I think the oddest thing I did regarding anime this year was how I sat through both season of Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (including the one that aired earlier this winter), and didn't claw my eyes out when it's basically an unfortunate mix of a mobile game adaptation and a CBDCT show mixed in with some action segments to show that it's not just a pure estrogen-fest.
Animosh
I should also note that I don't relate to her in every way. I understand her difficulties with falling in love, but for me the problem is more that my view on love is too negative, and as a result I'm hesitant about taking the "leap of faith" that any relationship requires. Love is messy, and may well get you hurt, so it's easier to observe things from a distance, like Maki for example.
Animosh
Oh Yuu is definitely frustrating to watch. Her idealized conception of love prevents her from seeing what is obvious to everyone watching: that she's slowly developing feelings for Touko. And when those feelings evidently turn into love, instead of seeing them for what they are, she's in denial and insists that her feelings aren't special enough to be called "love". It's frustrating.
Then again, I can't really say why Bloom into You works for me now, but kept me in a distance in their first few episodes. It's slow-burn, and when you think back to it, not a lot has been happening. But I feel they haven't made any wrong step yet
Can't say I relate to Yuu thou. She's the kind of character that in real life I would find really frustrated, and I know many of my friends behave that way. That just to further demonstrates how real these characters can be. Even the side characters, Sayaka and the lesbian adult couple work well for me.
@Aminosh: it took awhile for me to fully embrace Bloom into You (I say about episode 5,6) but I agree it's getting very solid now. it reminds me of Scums Wish as well, mainly because how twisted romance can be
Animosh
I'm also worried it won't end in a satisfying way, since the manga is still ongoing. But otherwise I quite like it. It has its problems, but if you go into it with the right expectations (slow pacing, complex and flawed characters that make for an unusual love story, with more focus on the characters' psychological issues than their sexuality) there's a lot to enjoy.

Planetes – 17 & 18 [His Reasons/Debris Sections Last Day]

Hello and welcome to another week of Throwback Thursday, with Planetes! This time Planetes drops it’s greater themes for some character drama, but brings it back with one big hurrah for our team. Lets jump in! In general, I wasn’t particularly impressed by this week. Every week I am waiting for something definitive to happen. […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 11 [Overflowing Drops]

Hello and welcome to the last week of Kaze Fui for 2018! This time Shindo gets dumped, the team rallies behind him and Kurahara catches an older mans eye. Lets jump in! First off, lets get the elephant out of the room. That’s right folks, no Kaze Fui until January 8th. Looks like they are […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 11 [The Dignity of Evil]

This week we see something that rarely happens: Gui Niao is in a fault mood. As it turns out, this little war between Enigmatic Gale and Dirty Cop is more about the Vape Wiz’s ego rather than the Glassed Boy. The usually collected-Gui Niao shows off a whole range of emotions this episode: from being […]

Banana Fish – 22 [As I Lay Dying]

Welcome to what is, to me, a very contentious episode of Banana Fish. This time Blanca gets sentimental, Ash learns Japanese, and Eiji sets Ash on a Warpath through no fault of his own. Let’s dive in! Overall, this was a good episode. It flipped everything on its head and, assuming Banana Fish doesn’t backpedal […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 10 [Monochromatic Crayon]

Irozuku, as meandering as it always is, has some stunning sequences this episode. It furthers proves the fact that 1) the magical sequence is where Irozuku really takes off and 2) its strength always come from its visual department, not in the storytelling. Take the sequence where Aoi steps into Hitomi’s dream, for example. He […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 10 [Collapse]

After a crucial episode last week where GRIDMAN reached its highest bar to date, it’s understandable that everything that follows it would be a letdown. Nothing in this new episode can beat the moment Akane jumped off the crane last week in terms of sketching her depression. This episode is where the entire cast goes […]

Planetes – 15 & 16 [In Her Case…/Ignition] – Throwback Thursday

Hello and welcome to perhaps the most intense week of Planetes yet. This time our Temp Worker gets some history and Hachimaki develops space PTSD. Let’s dive in! Off the bat, I want to apologize again for this being late. Work and doing 4 shows at once has slowed me down a bit. That said, […]

Goblin Slayer – 09[There and Back Again]

We reach the end of the water town arc and Goblin Slayer killed some goblins. I am not sure what else I expected. I must say that animation wise for a series heavily focused on action, the action itself is rather static. Sadly some of the more impactful panels of the manga were cut from […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru – 10 [Our Speed]

Welcome one and all, to the most wholesome episode of Kaze Fui yet. This week Prince and Kurahara finally connect, Hana cooks dinner and a track meet comes to a curious end. Lets jump in! Kaze Fui continues strong this week, not content to sit back and simply milk Haiji’s condition. No, instead of spending […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]