Posted by SuperMario on 11 March 2018 with categories: Currently Watching:, Violet Evergarden

If I haven’t known beforehand that Violet Evergarden has 14 episodes, I would easily assume that this is the conclusion of Violet Evergarden. And in some ways, there is a strong sense of closure in this latest episode. This last two episodes have their full attention to the core development of Violet, that includes an extended flashback that makes it way too clear about Violet’s time with Gilbert, and Violet moping around in the present. I’ll be franxx that I’m not a fan at all with this extended flashback, in fact I consider it amongst the worst episode we’ve seen so far in Violet Evergarden. Its faults aren’t in the details. These sequences are carefully constructed, and the visual presentation is always at the better side, but these flashbacks add extremely little new things to the table that we haven’t known before. We already knew that Violet is a war tool, a killing machine many times before and the army beside Gilbert treat her like a tool, so is it necessary to have a random captain repeat that same point to Gilbert? We already knew Violet received the brooch as a present from Gilbert and it was the only object that remind her of him, so why repeating this whole festival night again? We already knew the event led to Gilbert’s death so I feel rather repetitive and dull to see the night unfold again. “Dull” because I don’t know how I should feel when the bullet gone through his eye in that Hollywood-tearjerking-inspired moments (It’s a lie. I laughed). The only new detail I learn is Violet indeed lives in Gilbert’s house, but then again it adds so little to what we already know. It pains me to say this but I consider the whole flashback a huge waste of time.

Episode 9, appropriately titled “Violet Evergarden”, fares better because we see Violet in a present day. At first, she’s in the state of denial, refusing to believe that Gilbert is gone for good (well, there is 10% probability that he still makes it alive, in which case I swear I’ll drop this show for good). And then she realizes she’s metaphorically burning. It’s important because she was merely a robot in human form before, and like robots she had no guilty conscience towards the people she kills. Becoming a full-fledge human is to feel remorse towards her sins. But like Hodgins puts it, Violet needs to learn about her dark past not because she needs to know what is wrong or right, but to embrace her scars as part of herself and keeps on living.

Apart from realizing the deeds of her dark past, her other issue has always been Gilbert himself. She’s over-reliant to her boss to the point of totally dependable to him, emotionally. Imagine what would Violet do if she learns Gilbert’s death right after she wakes up? I bet she’d lose it. She’d kill herself for good since her life before had only one purpose: to follow Gilbert’s orders. She does try to strangle herself in a state of desperation and does lock herself up for few days even after becoming a Doll. While I was rather cranky with the flashback, the sequence where she learns to get over it, for me, redeems the show greatly with many nice, warm moments that rely more on visual-storytelling than saying it out loud.

And Violet Evergarden knows how to pull an effective resolution to Violet’s conflict. Let’s take first, the letter from Erica and Iris to Violet. The first letter she has ever received. Suitable to the spirits of the show, that letter transfers those feelings that cannot express by words to Violet. In addition, Violet learns about the importance of letter – the meaning behind deliver those letters to its destinations, not unlike bringing pigeons back to their homes. And moreover, she receives a request from her friends, the people she has influenced for the better, and the people still care about her and think fond of her. Violet’s presence is there, she learns about the love for writing letters that bring people together, and the people that through her assistance, becomes more willing to embrace life. It’s now her turn to take that step.

1. Amagi says:

This episode was great, I am a big fan of the topic of overcoming of things. It’s why I hate miracles in fiction. You see characters struggling and gradually developing up to the point when they finally manage to cope with their losses and then – the lost suddently just returns, surprise.
    I hope this isn’t the case here. Not finding his corpse would make it more interesting in that case. It would be about Violet’s battle between rationality (no one survives that) and irrationality (no corpse, so he must be alive) until she learns to accept her current life, reality and become more independent.
    A sudden return of Gilbert would ruin all of this.

And I agree about the flashback. I mostly hate flashbacks. Not only do most of them just reiterate what we already knew, the ones that actually add something are always devices that get thrown in whenever the plot needs them to explain some sudden new behavior and often feel like retcons unless they’re hinted before.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

Just to throw you some more examples, I like the use of flashbacks in Ikuhara’s shows. These flashbacks more often than not shed new lights to what we already know. Here in Violet Evergarden it’s just a long version of episode 1.

I still like the visual language of the show. The sequence where Violet overcoming her issue was great and rewarding partly because it SHOWS, not TELLS (well, sometimes the visual storytelling can go a bit too much, like the Gilbert-got-shot-in-the-eye scene, but I can still tolerate it). But whenever characters open their mouth, the effect just lost me. Case in point, how many times does the show mention that Violet is burning and bleeding? It feels like the show is afraid that we don’t get the idea so they see the need to repeat too many times.

Maybe this show just isn’t for me.

• Amagi says:

Telling instead of showing is one of the big main problems anime have anyway. Everything needs to be explained, even reiterated, or simple actions like running getting commented on (“I need to run to catch it!”) – up to the point when you start wondering why the producers are treating the audience as idiots. I adore series that can show emotions through subtile facial expressions instead of verbal reactions, especially awesome if it’s not just the talking characteres who react, but the passive audience as well.

It just takes so much away from a series. It’s the same with jokes: the more you show and explain it, the less funny it is.

2. KTravlos says:

The flashback did not really bother me much. Episode 9 was really good. So good we panicked thinking it was the end of the season. It was a good closure to an arch. That said I am worried about the direction that last five episodes will take. The focus in the flashback on the enemy soldier with the horizontal nasal scar, and the focus on the enemy officer who ordered his own area to be bombed in conjunction with the current events of anti-peace factions, leads me to believe that the last arch will have to o with these guys as part of an anti-peace faction activity.

• SuperMario SuperMario says:

I honestly just wish for more Violet ghost-write letters because for me the show is at its best when the attention isn’t on Violet. And I hope they tone down the cheesy moments. There are too many cheeses in this series. Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, brie cheese… I can’t take it anymore.

But I see your point so let’s see where the show goes in these last 5 episodes.

KyokoHyuga
?????
KyokoHyuga
who likes pokemon here
@Amagi: I think the person who made the sub for Maquia did a pretty neat job. Not perfect but the translation flows well
We've seen realistic Pokémon fanart, but how does a movie looks when it attempts it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CKgQFo5U8
How are the subs for Maquia? I only heard anons complain about it.
*dealing with
Though you should really torrent it.
There is 1080p stream on kiss anime, if you hate deal with the ads on that site the 4up stream on anilinkz has the best quality of the available links
Where did you see Maquia online? I still need to watch it. PM it to me on discord maybe? Pretty please? <3
One fact that not many people know is that Penguin Highway is penned by Tomihiko Morimi. It indeed has many Morimi's signature inputs
This year, I'm doing well with catching up anime films (kudos for Australian's Madman who always license these titles very quickly). So far, I've watched Mirai, Maquia, Penguin Highway, Let Me Eat Your Pancreas and My Hero Academia the Movie
So I watched two anime movies this last week, Penguin Highway in theatre and Maquia online. Both of them are pretty solid in general, especially Penguin that has magical realism elements and some great chemistry. Whereas Mari Okada's writting still rubs me in the wrong way sometimes
D: He did, back in August actually apparently
@Lenlo: I heard Dino's voice actor died.
If we all took Goblin slayers attitude to trolls, then we would more easily ignore the trolls =P
Big twist in the golden kamuy manga.
Animosh
@SuperMario: remember that in the voice drama Rikka mentioned talking to Yuuta in their classroom during the ball game. Pretty sure it's about that.
@Animosh: i just watched the episode and noticed the lyrics as well. "The Promise" seems vague at the moment. Could be between Yuuta and whoever fits but I agree the "save someone from boredom" is about Akane
Animosh
You learn something every day. ;) Honestly though, I actually skipped the opening, so I hadn't even noticed that it had been translated until others pointed it out. And most of the time the lyrics are just cheesy one-liners, so I usually don't pay much attention to them either. But once in a while there's some nice hints hidden in there...
Y'know I never really ever paid attention to the lyrics in anime openings, I'd never thought to.
Animosh
The Gridman OP has been translated for the first time, and there's some pretty interesting reveals in there: it mentions a "promise" made in a classroom (so now we know how Yuuta and Rikka bonded in the past - glad it wasn't a simple confession), and talks of "rescuing" someone (presumably Akane) from boredom. So I guess she'll join the good guys eventually?
1200 words. I need to stop writing so much.
I haven't seen last weeks episode of Irozuku or this weeks =< I'm waiting now for a bit to see if the series paysoff.
Animosh
Goddamn those magic segments in Irozuku were stunning! It's a shame its humdrum drama can't live up to its visual beauty, but I'll take it.
I think Ash's design is based a bit on River phoneix.
Sorry Eiji but your Ash is in another castle.
@CoolerAnon: I was about to say that. Kidnapping gets used alot in shojo.
Anonymous3072040
Yeah Ash is basically Princess Peach
@Anon: I share your concerns, I don't know what studio is doing it. Some people want it to be mappa, some don't want it to be polygon pictures to adapt it. Its and long and violent manga, with some very funny at times dark humour, it could end up rushed and/or censored.
Anonymous3072021
As much as I love Dorohedoro I'm unsure if I should be happy or worried at it getting an adaptation, it isn't exactly the kind of story I imagine being easy to adapt well.
Yeah, I am touching on that in my writeup as we speak. The compressed story is causing Ash to be captured every other week.
Animosh
I agree Banana Fish was great this week though! My only gripe is that I'm getting sick and tired of seeing Ash get kidnapped again and again. He just escaped a couple of episodes ago! And he's just a lot more fun to watch when he's out there doing stuff.
Animosh
In a way the fights actually feel more realistic to me than those in Banana Fish. Sure, they're fantastical, bizarre even, but its battle system has a clear internal logic, and generally no power is infallible (each has its limitations). In Banana Fish the fights are rather poorly thought out by comparison. Their purpose is more to make Ash look cool than to give him realistic hurdles to overcome.
Animosh
@Kaiser: what sets Jojo apart from other battle shounen for me is how ridiculously creative its fights can get. Part 2 already shows some signs of this, but the introduction of the Stand system in Part 3 pushes it to another level, and in Part 4 the fights are consistently awesome. There are no simple beam struggles here: every fight is a battle of wits, between people with wildly different powers
Niel
Vinland Saga anime, and Now Dorohedoro just got announced. i'm really liking this trend.
Lots to writeup on Banana Fish this week.
Just finished it, I really like Blanca.
Because Jackie Chan and his stunt crew are some of the best in the world. There is a reason he has to insure his guys from his own pocket. No agency will take them
I have no idea how the hell Jackie Chan is still alive.
Action works best for me when I really feel that theres danger involved. Thats why when some actors do their own stunts, you can fear for the actors life, and also the character.
And thats why I'm a big fan of all that Chinese martial arts stuff from the 60s and 70s, that really expertly crafted chereography.
As for action, I like good choreography more than any super powers. Its why Cowboy Bebop, Seirei no Moribito, Sword of the Stranger and some Naruto fights are fantastic.
Im about to watch this weeks episode, so this chat makes me hopeful. I agree Ash and Eiji are the backbone of the series, and yeah me and Kaiser both agreed that the Gang war aspect was pretty weak, though I thought the finish with Arthur wasnt half bad
And I think Banana fish has a great grit to it for this reason.
I'm even more thankful to Banana fish too for that it keeps the action within the bounds of out of fantasy.
I've always been kind of a guns and swords and kungfu gut.
Black lagoons great example of anime action I can get behind.
I always found weapon combat and fist/kicking combat more raw and real,tangible than beamspam.
But yeah if you're not a fan supernatural power fantasy action shounens, then maybe not your cup of tea, and that's totally cool
Oh also if I'm recommending a fight from part 4, I'd say check out Highway Star
Kira is a pretty cool villain though; he's always underpowered compared to the main heroes, but manages to somehow get out of the situation with luck or smarts; if nothing else, I'd recommend watching some Youtube clips
*Turn off. lol.
Its more than, even when I was younger supernatural power fantasy action shounen never appealed to me.
Admittedly JoJo always has bad with exposition though, and always will be just due to the style, so that can definitely be a turn on for some people
If you like slice of life with hijinks and a murder mystery combined with cool battles, you'll like part 4
Yeah I can see why you might not like part 1 & 2, they were made in the 80s; I'd recommend part 4 and part 5 (ongoing rn) tbh, I feel like those are better for a modern viewing experience
I used to think that BF's greatest strength was the plot; know I realize it's really about Ash & Eiji's connection first and foremost: as good as the plot can be, Ash & Eiji's relationship is absolutely the backbone.
@Anon: Also that scene where Ash is thinking to himself, looking over Eiji.
Nah, I pretty much gave up on jojo midway through part 2.
Also, anybody notice Blanca's VA is Kira (from Diamond is Unbreakable)? What a wonderful duwang!
@Niello: The producer guy Miyano is voicing, much like the show is irritating because the show has this "look at me look at me" feel to it, it just comes off as desperate to me and this is just going by the one episode I watched and hated.
What's that damn piano song that plays when Ash and Eiji are talking about Japan. It's too good. For some reason, it's really magical
@Anon: I was the one who said that.
@Niello: You don't need to see steins; gate zero, myself and lenlo discussed it to death as it was airing, its all over the place. I like the original too but after a while of the first half being fun, I just wanted it to start.
Phew, great episode of BF; whoever said the gang war stuff was the weakest point was right. this stuff is getting fantastic again.
Niello
Also I agree, Zombieland first episode was amazing, second episode is still rather great, and then the other episodes have just been meh.
Niello
In Zombieland it doesn't help that the character he's voicing with that tone is an asshole, which isn't a good combination because it's making him more annoying by the episode.
Niello
Steins;Gate is pretty good, but I don't think I like it nearly as much as most people do (I gave it a 7/10). I also haven't bothered with Steins;Gate 0. And although I didn't mind Myano in Steins;Gate, I didn't particularly like his voice there either.
I love the sombreness of Blanca's character. Poor Ash, so broken in this episode.
Yeah after episode 2 it's been a downgrade. Zombieland is still alright to watch but it really has become what it parodied.
Zombieland sadly has winded down. I mean it was expected but still I was hoping some more creative attempts to use in the typical genre. It'll have been better if they had waken up more slowly in order to flesh the archetypes a bit more. It still has charismatic moments though.
Really Niello? See, I like it because it's the voice we never got in Steins;Gate 0. Its Okabe's Kyouma voice, and I have a nostalgic love for it
Wasn't gyary isekai another one that existed?
Niello
I hate Miyano voice in Zombieland Saga and find him annoying tbh.
I am getting sick of self aware humour though. I see this show as something that was fun to make (such as Miyano seems to be feeling based on performances) but not fun for me to watch and that kind of extends to the manager who while I agree would be the best part of the show, I stopped finding funny after the joke was done.
For me, the main selling point of Zombieland Saga was always Miyano. I love this mans crazy voice.

And in regards to Isekai, discounting this most recent one, SAO actually is pretty good this season so far. Kirito is still bland, but its taking things a lot slower and actually building the world. Its taking its time with 52 episodes
By the sound of it, if some who liked the first episodes don't care for the ones beyond those two episode, then I'm glad I stopped watching.
I did flick through episode 2 but the rap battle thing was particularly awful.
@Anon: I couldn't stand the humour and have up on the show after the first half of episode 1.
What Zombieland does have that Ore doesn't is better animation and Miyano hamming it up. But that's all it has going for it at the moment.
You have a few "ha ha look at this" moments scattered here and there like how Ore episode 5 was basically one big middle finger to the nature of anime production, or Zombieland's Tae Yamada. But the parody value from the first two episodes is all but gone.
@Anon: Its in part my own fault , I jumped the gun in the first half of episode one then all goodwill I had for it died after the first couple of minutes.
@Kaiser Same here. Very disappointed that Zombieland is going down the same route that Mahou Shoujo Ore went down: basically becoming what it purported to parody.
Every isekai that pops up in recent seasons, I simply just ignore it.
On another note, surely I'm not the only one who dropped zombieland saga? I'm not alone am I?
I mean, I've never seen an episode of konosuba or rezero and refuse to , no game no life is a series of two halves, I barely watched any of gate .
I think the only one I can say I care about is Tanya.
Y'know I think I've done a fairly good job at avoiding the modern isekai thing, I've never actually cared enough to sit through one fully beyond the first season of log horizon, 4 seasons of zero no tsukaima. Other than that I've seen maybe 7 episodes of sword art . Never seen a single episode of overlord and won't.
@Anon: I'm also glad their mentioning stuff like the peoples will, the historical assassination of the Russian emperor. I enjoy the tidbits of historical reference for the most part.
@Anon: But I don't think the animation is as good as it should be in the anime adaptation and its not as violent as the manga.
@Anon: I am up to date on the manga, the post first scene chapters that have caught my attention most have been Edogai, the big scenes in the prison and that bonnie and clyde duo.
@SuperMario Are you watching GK s2? Any thoughts on it since you aren't covering this weekly?
I think I laughed more from this than most of the comedies airing right now thanks to these bizarre situations and characters they're introducing.
The anime is now covering the parts in the manga where things get a lot more dramatic, and a lot more weird and oddly hilarious.
Wonder if anyone is still watching Golden Kamuy? We're way past the embarrassing CG bear.
A polar bear isekai exists.
@Anon, it will be after in another world but a polar bear but before the gyarus in another world Isekai.
MaskyAtPublicComputer
Nobody could care about world building not really making sense or being inconsistent if it didn't have the grimderp parts that cause internet flame wars
MaskyAtPublicComputer
So it goes back to what I said: GS at its core is about (at least seemingly) about cool gorey tactical action with some character study of what its like to be broken person like GS is, but rape stuff just kinda ruins it for most people and it doesn't handle subject well
MaskyAtPublicComputer
gear doesn't rust and break down
MaskyAtPublicComputer
Anyhoo, I might remember wrong, but didn't GS purposedly use lower quality gear that has danger of breaking down in middle of combat? Thats kinda what I meant with "apparently using average quality gear is too dangerous", especially since its kinda hard to believe goblins could repurpose armor used by humans for themselves. I'm completely okay with him not using magical gear since D&D wise magical
MaskyAtPublicComputer
Like, you can't be like "Aha, characters think they are in JRPG, but its actually tabletop rpg oh wait no, it still follows realistic logic instead of tabletop rpg rules"
MaskyAtPublicComputer
See, barbarians in D&D don't wear armor because they are stronger without it, sure they have lower AC, but they have lot of health so they can tank a hit. So showing barbarian adventure dying in one hit because they were stupid enough to not wear armor just comes across as "So wait, is this supposed to be realistic, tabletop rpg or JRPG or what?"
MaskyAtPublicComputer
@AidanAK47: That IS actually part of reason why I said GS' author isn't thinking it through with world building. See, I actually think world being gods' D&D campaign does actually explain lot of details about how things don't make sense and it does fit with GS being D&D inspired, but that is another example of how GS is inconsistent.
Perhaps not the strongest episode of honda-san, but the golden kamuy and Brazilian guy bit made up for it.
I might give it a watch after Kaze Fui finishes and write that up, just for you then.
The anime kind of feels a bit live actiony, which I know sounds confusing to hear, what I mean is the character designs.
I'm very interested in doing a comparison between the anime adaptation and the live-action adaptation of Kaze ga once the series concludes next year just because these are two different mediums adapting the same novel. I would really like to know what they had to change or cut to get it down to 2 hours, compared to this two-cour series.
*storytelling
Old films are particularly a coin toss with the huge build up model style of story, the writer needs to be really good to connect all the dots in the last act.
To me, delayed plot points like that are the best, but also dangerous. If it sets it up and pays it off well, its fantastic. However if it falls short, then its a long promise that failed to get fulfilled and it stings.
I'm not a fan of these exposition last minute backstory then the character dies just afterwards "development".
Kaze has created a mood and rhythm thats justified its slow burn, by gradually unveiling rather than one giant infodump, the series seems more natural for it.
A pity that some folks are going to drop Kaze ga just because they're not getting immediate catharsis from seeing Haiji getting what he deserves according to them. We're still likely going to get reasons for his actions eventually, but it will take a while especially when we haven't seen the consequences from the rest of the team. Patience is a virtue.
However, I doubt this sentiment will be shared with most anime viewers who are too used to expecting immediate payoffs because of the episode amount leading to a need to rush through developments.
You know, with most adaptations being required to move quickly to adapt source material from the manga/LNs just to fit in 12/24 episodes, seeing a show like Kaze ga take its time with the episodes it has as a novel adaptation is kind of refreshing.
@Anon, I havnt seen this weeks episode yet, but I am hoping the same. Haiji needs a bit of a reality check. I like him, but he has been very manipulative so far
Yup! I am a fool who keeps covering long shows
Beyond Kakeru's story, I think I'm invested in Kings one aswell. Due to how easily relatable it would be for most.
I wasn't aware Kaze ga was a two cour series.
I haven't read the light night novels, only some of the manga adaptations, is the "its a game of the Gods" thing ever followed up/developed on later in the light novels?
And perhaps show some vulnerability from Haiji, since it seems like other people are getting the impression that we have to sympathize with a manipulative liar and con artist. Granted, I don't think Haiji is exactly that. It's stupid to pidgeonhole Kaze ga's characters under sweeping generalizations.
I'm kinda hoping that during Kaze ga's next episode, that most of the team ends up underperforming during the track meet aside from Haiji and Kakeru. It would show just how unready the team is for the marathon.
If we are really gonna dig deep into how the GS world functions the big question is how the hell they manage names if everyone is named after their class.
On another note Masky, part of the game like nature of the world of Goblin slayer is because it literally is a D&D campaign between the gods.
And I told you lot that it was going to be popular right? Why are you surprised?
@Masky, That's not the reason he uses lower quality gear. With the amount of goblins he's killing any higher quality weapon would be rendered useless and he doesn't require anything fancy to kill goblins.
Exactly! I loved both of those series as well. I love series where tactics are involved, instead of just yelling louder and getting stronger. Some old Naruto fights had this to, though that fell apart in Shippuden.
@Lenlo - Something like Yuyu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter were they made a plan for attack through the episode and then do it?
For me, the appeal of GS was, excluding the rape, the attempted realism of the combat. I was hoping for a sort of guerrilla warfare against the goblins esq series. Where a protagonist wins via tactics and knowledge, instead of typical shonen raw power. Sadly that has fallen off a bit since episode 1.
Thats kinda what I meant though, it wouldnt' be as notable if GS didn't try to be "realistic" aka you know how whole first episode is about how longswords suck in narrow caverns and such. It kinda draws attention to stuff that doesnt' make sense
Even Mirai Nikki was at least bat shit insane on how it played fast and loose with its shock value just for the sake of having a twist.
Still aside from the shock value and the memes I don't get the appeal of this particular series. And I'm saying that as someone who liked Hellsing and Elfen Lied and the shocking parts of Evangelion. And to me I think this isn't as blatant, manipulative or even that edgy. Might just think the intend is perverse but it just hasn't build an atmosphere as let's say Attack on Titan.
I agree there's something off when one puts more thought in what the author intends than what the story does. Because like sexualization and violence is all about how you frame it. The manga I think has more male gaze towards the situation than what the anime has shown, because on one the depiction is centered on the victim and the other at least cuts more towards the attacker.
@Masky - If you think about it. Monsters in fantasy setting rarely are put in depth. How does their populations work? Why several live in dungeons? Beasts, animals and spirits are usually put in the same group.
Like, Goblin Slayer's wholse speculation about goblin hatred for everyone else being cycle of revenge thing kinda becomes weird when you realize "wait a sec, they can't breed on their own, so even if adventurers never attacked them, wouldn't they still attack villages?"
Like, if you check the interviews with authors, it seems like only reason he actually chose to include goblin rape was to make checklist of things that make them really horrible/horrifying :P So without really thinking about "is this good idea to include", which kinda pops up lot in the work where author really didn't think "does this make sense"
t and realize its really dumb logic to increase your chances of dying because you don't want goblins to take average quality gear :P
Thats my point though, the whole goblin rape thing makes it harder to suspend disbelief because 1) it really clashes with actual tone of the work 2) there are other logical problems with GS. Such as Goblin Slayer's logic of "I use poor quality gear because I know I will one day fightnig goblins so I want to avoid giving them good quality gear" is type of thing that sounds cool until you think a bi
Willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe something surreal; sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment.
Heck on point 3, why the frick side characters treat the world like it is jrpg world. Like, why is there armorless shirtless barbarian character in setting where they can die from one spear to the chest, it doesn't make setting world building wise for that character to have survived to be high ranking adventurer in first place
I mean, let's face it, in world where goblins like that exist 1) why the heck would they have reputation as harmless pests, they wipe out entire villages 2) what kind of governing body would either let villages be destroyed by "pests" or let villages they can't guard be established 3) why the heck wouldn't all adventures use helmets in world that doesn't follow jrpg logic?
Anyhoo, my opinion on GS is that it really should have avoided goblin rape thing because it makes people take the show more "seriously" which makes it hard to justify it being popcorn movie level world building.
Do note though, that over use of rape IS one of things bad about Berserk :P

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 06 [Golden Fish]

Irozuku takes us to episode 6 for something significant happen, but even then it’s decidedly under-dramatic. This week, we have a whole lot more of magical moments that certainly are the feast to the eyes, and develop many underlying themes of its narrative. The central of the conflict this week is Hitomi and Aoi, as […]

Zombieland Saga – 04-06[Warming Dead SAGA/The Nice Bird SAGA in Your Heart/Because It’s Sentimental SAGA]

Forgive me for my lack of coverage on this series but you may have guessed that my enthusiasm for it has died down considerably. I always felt that Zombieland Saga was in danger of losing what made it great in its first two episodes and sadly that has come to pass. This show has ultimately […]

Banana Fish – 18 [Islands in the Stream]

Ah Banana Fish, back in form this week. Ash and Eiji act like a married couple, Blanca show’s everyone whose boss and Yut continues to have no idea what’s going on. Lets jump in! On a general note Banana Fish is really picking back up. The Gang War/Hospital were easily the weakest part of the […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai – 05-06[All the lies I have for you/This world you chose]

Thus we hit the end of another arc and admit it wasn’t a particularly interesting one due to not much being at stake. The characters helped keep it from getting boring but the main conflict was obvious from the start and the solution even more so. So to get things in perspective, Koga and Sakato […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 6 [The Emperor’s New Clothes]

Hello and welcome to another, if slower than normal, week of Kaze Fui! This time we have friendship, training and Haiji continues to get off scott-free! Lets jump in! Now Kaze Fui this week was, in my opinion, a bit of a non-starter. I don’t think it really addressed or dealt with many of the […]

Planetes – 7 & 8 [Extraterrestrial Girl/A Place to Cling To] – Throwback Thursday

Welcome one and all to another week of Planetes, continuing Throwback Thursday! This week we have a beautiful contrast of Life and Death in space followed by a lighthearted affirming of the group dynamic. Lets jump in! Before I get into actual plot elements, I want to once again praise Planetes for its use of […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 5 [It’s a Book Signing!! Everyone Gather Up / A Fascinating Erotic Story]

Another week, another 10 minutes well spent with Honda-San. This time we have Golden Kamuy references, a Brazilian and lots, ridiculous amounts really, of gay Erotica. Lets jump in! To be honest, Honda-San started off worrying me this week. It wasn’t until maybe the 3 minute mark that it seemed to pick up. I think […]

Goblin Slayer – 04-05[The Strong/Adventures and Daily Life]

Episode four is one of those episodes which has me at a loss about what to even say about it. I mean in this episode Goblin Slayer went and slayed some goblins and in other news the Pope is still catholic. I mean sure there was a unexpected interruption of a Orge leading them which […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 05 [Provocation]

I feel like it’s inevitable that we eventually get to this episode. It’s an episode where the cast will wear some sort of bikini and swimsuit and show as much skin and flesh as possible. We’re also talking about Trigger for Christ sake, one of the leading studio when it comes to fan-service. Right at […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]